Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Marin Talk to Money, the podcast in which people who know the market explain the market. I am Maren zum zep Web and this week I am speaking with well known short seller and Muddy Waters Capital founder and CEO Carson Block.
Speaker 3: Carson, Welcome to Marin Talks Money.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You have been talking a lot recently about AI, and I wanted to just start on that straight away because I think the core of your view is that AI really is going to live up to everyone's expectations of it. It is going to be spectacularly successful. All the worries a lot of people have about the way that llms have hit his ceiling and development is over and we need a new path.
Speaker 3: All this kind of thing doesn't come into your view.
Speaker 2: I think that it's going to be very successful and there will be an employment apocalypse as a result.
Speaker 3: Am I over egging of you there?
Speaker 4: Let me just state that as background, I was a skeptic. So until February of this year, I refused to refer to any of the models that are out there that we're using as AI. They are large language models, and so I said, Okay, these things are not going to ever find the cure for cancer. They are not that intelligent. It's not artificial intelligence. They're lllms. Now, the current generation of LMS that was released in January early February of this year changed my mind to some extent. They're not going to independently develop the cure for cancers. They I mean I used to term them the greatest search engines ever developed, and that effectively they are. But the ability, their ability to synthesize that information and order that information, I mean there's real labor savings to be had right now in certain areas of knowledge industries I mean such as investment. I mean I immediately began using Claude to run Monte Carlo simulations that I previously would have needed somebody who was pretty young, recently graduated from a top university strong in math to run the thing that's important to really understanding or that change to change that changed my view as to what lllms are going to do to the labor market. Is that this generation was coded and tested in large part by its predecessor generation. It is coding and testing its successor generation. So you have a situation where the leading users of this generation of AI model, I mean they're in the technology industry. They are able to supplant by using AI or displace multiple members of a team. Now, vast majority of us are not that skilled yet with the current generation of model. But we extrapolate that we're going to be hitting a point in the not too distant future in which we're going to see exponential improvement in the capabilities of these models. Because they are coding and testing their successors and so on and so forth. Then you're going to see a lot more capability. You're going to see more comfort in understanding of how to use them. I think it's entirely conceivable that within a few years three five two, you could see within the US roughly fifteen percent of knowledge workers displaced from their jobs. And unlike the GFS, see it's not that you just need to grow your way out of this and reallocate human and financial capital. It's you know, those jobs are gone and the chairs, the number of chairs for humans is going to continue shrinking. So that's that's where I come out on on AI, l ll ms, you know, whatever you want to call them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you lose a lot of jobs, but also the remaining jobs, the quality of them degrades or feels like.
Speaker 5: That's the end game, that these knowledge jobs disappear, and if people can get other jobs, they might not be of the same quality and certainly not at the same income level.
Speaker 4: I mean, a number of these jests, a number of these jobs will disappear. I'm a former attorney, I'm a professional litigant effectively now and my current you know current, you know, iteration of my career. And I got to tell you, like, at present, claud can handle a lot of tasks that I pay attorneys for. Now. We're all familiar with the hallucination it makes up, you know, A versus B. I'm not saying you remove humans entirely, but I mean, if i'm you know, when you go through discovery, you're paying some associate. I mean, depending on the law firm, you're paying some associate somewhere between. You know, for good law firm, junior associate five hundred dollars an hour to fifteen hundred dollars an hour to review email after email and text after text, and they make mistakes. Claude does it one hundred percent better. So now you have to ask you have to query it in the right way. But you know, when you're talking about I mean financial service related litigation, most of our outside attorneys, especially junior associates, don't understand what we do anyway. So I think you're much more effective having the client running these you know, running the discovery in claude and querying in querying claude at least to make your arguments and that's just saved. That will save innumerable billable hours. So that's a profession where that I think is going to shrink significantly in the coming several years. And that's a very highly paid profession.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The problem I suppose with that is that you you need to train the young people to have the more experienced people available to put in the correct queries. So once your once your pipeline of educating young people disappears or shrinks significantly, end up with a problem higher up the tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's I haven't seen businesses really think too long term about you know there, you know for a long time, right, I mean, everybody's focused on, you know, how much am I going to make this year? Maybe they're thinking next year. So and the problem, you know, look, one of the pushbacks to this idea that they're going to see the level of labor displacements that you know, I think you're going to see is that, oh, well, the technology the adoption curve. You know, technologies are never adopted at the rate at which they could theoretically be adopted. And yeah, that's true. But the thing here is that the cost savings for you know, for the the providers of these services, the cost savings are going to be so significant they're going to be able to massively underprice their competitors. So you know, it's going to be an existential problem for businesses that don't take advantage of this technology and reduce their cost and pricing structures accordingly. So that's why I think that the adoption curve argument here is not going to or counter argument is not going to win the day that there will actually be pretty steep uptake of these technologies.
Speaker 3: I mean, it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: We haven't really seen this happening yet, you know, I mean, it's all still to come, right and that white collar workers, a number of white color workers in the US and in Europe is up since the first STEMP chat GPT was released and you.
Speaker 3: Know, there are more AI engineers than ever, etc. It's not yet a.
Speaker 4: Couple of things. Yeah, well, all right, So the current generation of these models, which was at least in January February, was the first This is the first generation where it's you know, I said, these are not idiotic. You know, they have flaws, they have limitations. But I mean previously, yeah, it was it was a running joke. But you know, what we extrapolated as humans is that the progress would be linear, and it's not linear. It's going to be exponential because of how they're able to develop their successors. Now, just a little pushback. I'm not normally a macro person. But one thing that you know, as far as the know the great job success in the US, a lot of that's been in healthcare. And you know, healthcare is a really interesting sector in the US because look, on one hand, okay, it's going to grow. And when you go back to two thousand, information technology and look the way that the you know, uh, you know BLS. Clayer, you know, classifies sectors as antiquated really should be updated. But information technology and telecommunications and healthcare are the only two sectors that have grown materially as a share of GDP, and healthcare has grown significantly more as a share of GDP than information technology. So, you know, is it driven by innovation some? Is it driven by demographics some, But a lot of it's driven really by the parasitic nature of this healthcare system, at least in the US that I mean, there's there's so much fraud, there's so much inefficiency. So look, if you say the US has a healthy economy, we have a healthy job market because we've added all these healthcare jobs, you know, I think that's a misinterpretation. So look, does that really go to whether AI or llms are going to make a meaningful dent in employment going forward? Now? Because as I said, we're really at that point now where you're starting to see how these can replace employees in certain situations, or at least prevent the hiring of employees, and the next generation will be even more powerful.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, well we'll wait and see what happened in five ten years if new jobs, new different types of jobs that created you know, this whole business of jobs we never thought would exist now ten years ago, job being ever thought existing this, So who knows what will happen in ten years. But let's take the base case, your base case here that fifteen percent of knowledge jobs disappear. Now, the interesting bit for the purposes of our listeners and we discuss.
Speaker 3: We are interesting podcasts, is what that does to the market.
Speaker 2: And I think that's where this gets interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And so again this has been a u turn for me because there was actually a podcast I did in January where I was talking about how we had developed this systematic momentum strategy and house at Muddy Waters, and you know, it's been compounding for us at north of seventy I mean even I think most recently about ninety percent per year. And I was completely sanguine about the outlook for the market and why. And you know, in the idea that momentum, as much as it shouldn't, you know, as much as the fact that the stock has gone up shouldn't determine that it'll continue to go on, but it does.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a you know, momentum is one of the greatest strategies.
Speaker 4: There isn't, especially these days, and a lot of it relates to market structure. Yeah, And so this is where what I'm saying about job displacement due to AI becomes a problem. So in January, I'm completely sanguine. You know, question Carson, Well, when does you know when does it become a bad idea to invest in momentum within the S and P five hundred index when unemployment rises materially? Well, when do you see that happening? And not anytime soon? Well, okay, here's the issue. I now do see unemployment, particularly for high wage earners, rising significantly in the next several years. The problem that that creates for markets is that, especially with the S and P five hundred, so much of that is driven by flows, so especially for one K retirement plan contributions from these knowledge workers and that you know, and look when you look at the S and P five hundred index, I mean, it's it's kind of ridiculous that we use that as a proxy for the stock market because you know, generally, you know, two thirds of the stocks are underperforming the mean of the index, and the mean of the index is really driven by small number of companies that are out forming. But what has happened and so here I reference work that a friend of mine named Michael Green or Mike Green of Simplify asset management has done on passive investing, and he's been banging this strung since probably twenty nineteen or twenty twenty about how passive has warped markets. So it's created this virtuous cycle whereby money goes in from paychecks every month. And what happens is these index funds they buy stock at any price. They're completely priced and elastic. They remove supply of stock, and so for the largest names in the index or the indices, and if you look at Nasdaq one hundred, same thing. Those get the greatest share of every dollar that's allocated to the index, and so by removing supply, they create this situation in which the stocks that receive the largest allocations, the impact on their prices becomes parabolic versus linear, and that gets turbocharged with stock buybacks. So this has been great for the most part. I mean twenty twenty two, there was you know, there was like a little bump in the road, but we're well past that. So this has been fantastic for investors. But the thing is, if you have say fifteen percent of knowledge workers lose their jobs and they're not going to be able to replace that income they have credit card debt, they have mortgages, they have car loans, a student debt. This is going to massively impact the flows into the markets, and so probably the way it plays out on a micro level at first is a person who's lost his or her job will sell the taxable investments. A lot of the taxable investments are in the largest names in the S and P five hundred index, so you get selling there, but you've already had a situation where that laid off person is no longer making the contributions to the four one K plan. So you get to a point where those contributions go net zero, especially because from a demographic perspective, you do have people now who are also redeeming just because they've retired. And then you get to a point where on a net basis, the flows go negative as people have to sell you redeem their retirement accounts because they've been unable to replace their income and the issue. So, while passive has been this very virtuous cycle on the way up, it's built this significant fragility into the market, and so when those flows go in reverse, there's really not nearly enough active management out there to catch the following knives, especially because if you were looking at the valuations of some of the largest companies in the indices. In trying to look at them on a purely fundamental basis, it's hard to justify the evaluations in some cases. So that's where you get, in my view, the GFC type events. It has to do with the fragility that's been created in the equity markets through passive investing. So if you really want to understand my view, it's my own view on AI displacing labor layered on top of Mike Green's work on passive investing and in the vulnerabilities that creates in the equity markets and.
Speaker 2: That reduction in demand frequity, so that reduction and flow. It coincides with the period an unusual period over the last decade of an increase in the supply of equities as well, because we have these big IPOs coming through at the same time.
Speaker 3: It SpaceX and then we'll get open eye, we'll get down tropic.
Speaker 2: And of course on paper, we're thrilled by this right because it shows the stock market doing and the stock market is supposed to do, which is be a place where people putting new money into growth companies as opposed to an investor extracturn machine, which has effectively being for the last decade, the most of the money has been coming out in buybacks, dividends, etc. So you get at the same time as if you're right, of course, that the flows for the supply is coming up at the same time right now.
Speaker 4: The other question there, and I don't I don't have a view on this. You know, at least to the extent that it remains independent of labor displacement. But to what extent are the hyper scalers going to be going to continue to be able to issue credit to fund their AI buildouts because they need to issue that credit in order to maintain the stock buybacks. So if they can't, if they can't issue paper at yields they consider to be attractive, then they're going to have to divert resources that would be used for share buybacks to scaling out data centers, et cetera. So you could start to see, you know, to me, either scenario is equally probable going into when we have this, you know, when these streams start really showing up in the labor markets and the flows start to go toward net zero, can have this situation, you know, can like I said, equally probable to me at this point where companies are still engaging in share buybacks, so maybe it hits you know, this impact hits more suddenly, or companies have to taper the share buybacks because they're not able to fund in the credit markets, and so you start to see you start to see less upward pressure on stock prices as a result of that. Anyway, So either scenario, you know, at this point, I'm coin flip on those two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and on the demographics, I mean, this was a scenario that everyone expected to happen anyway, just a little further out, as the baby boomers work their way through the system and start to sell out fund their retirements, we would have expected to see those flows reversed. Anyway, This just brings that forward by well, probably a decade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, look, I think you know, my impression of that question has been that there are people will argue, well, it's not going to be that bad because you're gonna have a great wealth transfer and you know, YadA, YadA, YadA, and you know money will be reallocated from credit to equities and younger. But you know, no view in a world that doesn't go through an AI disruption. No view on the timing of that. But but yeah, as I said, I think that we're you know, I think that question is not really going to be that relevant compared to what's okay.
Speaker 2: So let's say we have a GFC style disaster in the markets. It's quick, it's huge, very unpleasant. How do the play out after that? And we're very used to thinking, well, we don't really worry about this stuff over the long time.
Speaker 3: We just hang on because there'll be a government response.
Speaker 2: There'll be a fiscal response or a monetary response, so we'll make everything absolutely fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm look, there will be all of that. I mean. The one thing is the playbooks are now very well developed for you know, unlike the GFC, where a lot of the responses theoretical it took a long time to implement. Governments had to get authorities to do it. The authorities exist, they've been expanded during COVID. So from a monetary perspective that you know, I mean rates, you know, real rates will go zero or negative you know over well, the interesting thing those AI is going to be very is going to be deflationary. So maybe maybe it's a little bit stepping on a land mine if I talk about real rates, but nominal rates you know, will be I mean, you know, well below on the short you know, short end well below one hundred basis points, I mean, probably zero to ten BIPs, you know, very quickly. And there's going to be a lot of the going to Governments are going to have to buy. The central banks are going to have to buy you know, the entire curve basically to keep it really you know, to keep rates you know, long end rates low. Now there will be fiscal issues. I think fiscal is going to be a lot more interesting because the monetary playbook is well established. You know, the United States has the blessing of being able to borrow in the currency that it prints, and so I think, you know, q E forever is the future here effectively, but it'll be you know, one of the third order effects. And where I think it's also interesting to look at some trades setting up will be what happens in the US to state in local governments you know there, I mean, especially if you look at you know, the states that are going to have their tax bases the hardest hit are the ones that are the most prolific issuers of debt. So California, California is I mean, it's because so much of its tax base comes from income taxes, any individual income taxes. Anyway, this is going to be you know, like Armygeddon for California. From a fiscal perspective, so how quickly does the federal government step in in bailac California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut. Now it kind of depends on who. I mean a big part depends on who's in the White House and which party controls Congress. But you know, the from the fiscal perspective, you know, I think the US will be okay because of the potential for q E. You know, the Eurozone countries that's going to be very tough, you know, but but that's where but you know, I so so look, I think we go through, we go we know what's going to happen in terms of on the monetary side, and they will have to try to reinflate assts and that will eventually happen. Assets will be you know, reinflated. But this will this will reorder society significantly because I mean, the the politics, the amount of turbulence that we're going to have to go through, you know, to really figure out how we how we structure societies. It's going to be significant. And you know, look, I do think on the on the back end of this, on the back end of a lot of turbulence, and I don't you know, this is a number of years to get there. The good news is, you know, I think I think most people will be will live reasonably comfortable lives. Okay, I think you know, the you know, a lot of the private sector will be there to serve the government. Governments will be massive employers, massive consumers of highly inefficient products and services from the private sector. So I think a lot of your private sector ends up looking like Chinese state owned enterprises. Then there's another part of the private sector that focuses on the private sector. It's gonna be the leanest, most efficient companies ever. But you know, I think a lot of people, you know, will be working. Your middle class people be working two or three days a week. They'll have disposable income. This will be great for small businesses, you know, leisure businesses, travel, et cetera. You know, I think there will be you know that our underclass will receive you know, universal basic income, you know, but that's and they won't have to work at all. And I hope there will still be room for people to achieve if they really want to. I don't. I don't know, but I've I've got a couple of kids, and I'm raising them with that expectation that you know, if they if they're willing to, you know, if they're willing to put in the work and they have the ambition that they can achieve more than you know, just owning a cafe. But you know, I think it'll be great for cafe owners. And in a way, it's interesting because you know, certainly when it comes to I mean scale, you know, I would think will remain everything. But in so many industries, this is going to be anti oligopolistic ye this technology, So that would be a nice you know, if I'm correct about that, that'll be a nice outcome on the back end where small businesses don't have so much of a cost disadvantage to large businesses.
Speaker 3: It sounds that you're expecting a massive expansion of the state. That's the net result of this.
Speaker 2: Every crisis in the West brings us closer and closer to a state that takes up over fifty percent of GDP.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't see an alternative to that, you know, I mean, otherwise we'll just have tremendous societal instability.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was about to say to you, what is the alternative? What are you alternative view? What are the risks to your view?
Speaker 3: And it sounds like the answer is very unpleasant instability.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess you know which view. I mean, are you challenging that AI will displace as many people as quickly? I mean you alluded to one of the counter arguments that Jevin's paradox right, like new technologies always create new jobs. I don't think this folds this time because the rate of change is going to be so for a long time. I'm talking fifteen years. Maybe this is just because I'm really cynical, but I've been fond of saying that humans are able to innovate and invent technologies faster than we're able to adapt to them. You know, whether these are financial technologies such as financial derivatives or deep sea drilling technologies, you name it. So we invent and innovate. I think we understand the risks and how to manage them. Find out we don't. We have some kind of calamity. But on the back end we say, okay, now we've learned. But the problem is when you have these you know, when you have these machines building the next generation of machines, the rate of change is going to be and it's it's going to continue. The rate of change will increase in terms of the improvement of capability. We are, in my view, just not going to be able to adapt ourselves quickly enough to to catch up. So there will be new jobs created, and there will be people, you know, I think a small number of people who are at the forefront of understanding how to use these technologies, and you know, they'll be okay, But you know, for the rest of us, I you know, I just don't think that's going to be the case. So I don't think jevins paradox. I mean, look, I've kind of made a career out of laughing at it's different this time anyways, it never has been, but I think it's different this time different.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how does the ordinary investor prepare for this? So honestners are a lot of ordinary people, ordinary investment portfolios listening to you talking and going, well, what an earth do I do about this.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the timeframe is.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether this is a two year thing or a three year thing, or a five year thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a ten year thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows, who knows, but it sounds like it's something I really need to be ready for.
Speaker 3: What do I do.
Speaker 4: Well? I mean right now, I think you keep doing what you've been doing, right I mean so, I mean one of the best trades has just been to be long the index, you know, in the S and P five hundred. But you have to be very vigilant and look at what's happening to unemployment, look at what's happening to flows, and at some point the only place to you know, to hang out is is cash. I mean maybe gold. You know, I don't have a view in dollar terms whether that goes up or down. You know, I think it's you know, it's going to hold its value relative to you know, other assets much you know, much better. But but you know, I think the you know, to me, that's you know, that's really what you just need to be vigilant. You need to expect that this is coming. And you know, right now you could argue that we're seeing signal. I mean, you've had a number of companies announced layoffs and you know, some of it's due to AI investment, but others are saying efficiencies from AI, you know. But I don't know how much signal versus noise there is right now in these layoff announcements. But you know, at some point, I mean, if this keeps up, like you know, fifty million ele US fans can't be wrong, right, So that's you know, that's something to pay attention to. I mean, if you keep seeing layoffs and you keep hearing it's because we're automating and becoming more efficient, you know, at some point it's going to be meaningful. And look, maybe it all maybe there already is signal here. Again, I don't you know, I don't know, but but yeah, I think you just you have to watch. You have to watch employment, unemployment and flows very very closely. And the you know, the irony of this whole thing, I mean of my thesis, you know, should it play out, you know, again, the AI thesis, This is mine the market fragility, this is Mike Green convincing me. But the companies whose stocks have benefited the most on the way up here are the ones that have the furthest to fall just because of that dynamic, that reversal and flows. Now they were in terms of businesses, they will obviously be left standing and somewhat thriving, you know, in the wake of all this. And look, one thing we didn't touch on, but I think it's implied obviously when you see and if you see that kind of mass high end labor displacement that I'm talking about, it's not just an issue of flows. I mean, you have an issue with aggregate demand, and so that's going to you know, so we're talking recession anyway, that'll that will certainly impact financial results. But in the aftermath, these businesses will you know, will still be standing. But you know, I think the way like you want to you want to be able to protect yourself on the way down, probably cash. You know, we've set up a book in you know, in in our you know, we've set up a strategy, uh that's looking to protect principle on the way down. So I think a lot of how if you were going to try to actually make money on this, I do think a lot of the action isn't credit. And one of the things is that you know, that's interesting about the post GFC environment is that imply volatility and credit is so low because you have these structural bids for credit that are also part of the retirement you know, flow pick story. But you know, if you get and if you get this type of scenario playing out, I mean, vall is going to blow out on credit and obviously you're going to have a lot of credit events, you know, not I mean corporate as well as I'm saying government court credit events. So there is money to be made on the way down here.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's quite hard for retail investad for retail the average access. So for the average investors, like what you're saying is you just keep buying and Julius, the unemployment you really begin to see these announcements wraps it up. Then you get out competing, you go into cash, and then you wait and then.
Speaker 4: Right and then if you really really want to make the multi generational money we do along in the aftermath.
Speaker 3: You go along on. But how do you know when to buy and the aftermath?
Speaker 2: Do you wait until you start seeing the policy anno announcements from the state. You wait until you see QI forever announced again, you wait until.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, look, I so for UK market, it's hard for me to speak to that, okay, because I think, you know, the the US is going to be you know, I think we're singularly blessed in this dystopian world that we're you know, we're heading toward. So from from a US investor perspective, you know that assets will be reinflated. We have no choice. I mean, all all of our economies, right, all the Western all the developed economies have so much debt in them that you absolutely the playbook is to absolutely reinflate assets. You know, in the US. I think that's you know, I think you know, we've seen that accomplished a number of times. They will do that again. So yeah, I mean, if you wait for the first announcements, like, you're not going to miss the opportunity. You know, if you if you buy after you know, the FED analysis is that they've cut rates to know ten basis points and the you know and the FED funds rate, I mean, you're not you know, you can you can wait until after that the buy You'll be fine. But look, it could it could take a while, I mean, but eventually, you know, the reinflation of assets will happen, you know, at least in relative terms.
Speaker 3: And do you think this is going to kill the passive industry?
Speaker 2: So when we're buying back in, you know, we're sitting in cash well waiting and we see whatever signal says we think gives us not by signal, do we then are we going to go back into ETFs or is this the return of the active manager?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's an interesting question. Look, passive will be to blame for a lot of the market calamity, but how much you know, if we were talking about a financial crisis in isolation, then yeah, obviously you know, all legislative guns would be focused on the passive investing industry. But we're going to have bigger fish to fry because we're going to be wrestling with this these existential questions about humanity. What is our role in a world that's you know, where our work is increasing increasingly being performed by machines. How do we solve that? So? You know, again, so I think so given that, we're going to have some much bigger questions to answer, and they're not totally unrelated, but I think most the intention will be on that. But yeah, look passive Mike. Mike has been warning, he's been lecturing policy makers, you know, like you know, shouting from the mountaintops for years about what Passive is doing. And I think the response that he's gotten at the policy level is like, Wow, that's really interesting. But you know, there's zero political will to do anything about that right now. So you know, we just have to wait and you know, if your crisis ever materializes, then that's when we'll do something. So I think there's awareness of the problem, but it's just a political will problem, you know, Like right now, you'd be taking away the you know, the punch bowl in the middle of the party, and that's just not that's just not how we run things, you know, post GFC anymore, not at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ask you this.
Speaker 2: You're obviously thinking about lots of existential things at the moment, as am I.
Speaker 3: What are your kids going to study at college?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good one. Look, I do believe that math and so my kids are not near college age, I mean twelve and eight. I'm I mean math and science. I'm very big on that regardless, Like, even though I know these things will be able to do all of your math, I think you still need to understand how to do math. So if you what the end goal here, as I put it to them, is, look, you want to be in a position to use these technologies as a tool, not to have to compete with them. So I do think that understanding the underlying functions that they are performing will give somewhat of an edge the math and science and look reading, So what do you actually study. The world is going to need salespeople.
Speaker 3: It's going to be communicated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I've got one kid who'd be a great salesperson and the other who probably won't wouldn't be. But you know, there can be lots of jobs in government as well, so I don't know, maybe for maybe foreign relations, and you can be a diplomat, you know, trying to control the last, you know, vestiges of what humans actually can control.
Speaker 3: All right, let me take you back to gold.
Speaker 2: Briefly you said you thought that might hold hold its value relative to other assets. Anyway, what about bitcoins? Oh my god, on ever, we always asked about golden bitcoin.
Speaker 3: That's what we do in this podcast.
Speaker 4: The same one exists and one doesn't.
Speaker 3: That not the same, They're completely different.
Speaker 2: But for me, you know, we go right back to the early days when people used to tell us that, you know, bitcoin with digital gold, and that made us lave and we would call gold physical bitcoin just for the giggles, right, and we'd ask everybody at the end of each podcast, if I gave you a choice of holding bitcoin of gold for a decade, which one would you take?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Gold? I mean, look, okay, so bitcoin. When my when my older kid was five and he asked me, oh, what's bitcoin? I said, listen, crypto bitcoin. These are currencies without countries. Okay, they don't matter. I mean, you know that there is an intrinsic value to them, which is just the gas fees as they call it. But these things trade obviously well above intrinsic I've looked at bitcoin at times in the past as a barometer of speculative acts at excess in the markets as well as you know, I think there's I think there's a recursive effect as well on speculative activity, and more valuable bitcoin becomes, so on, you know, the more froth there is in some other markets. So barometer as well as cause. But yeah, look, I understand the I think it was Warren Buffett who said that if aliens observed our behavior toward gold, pulling it out of the ground, you know, treating it like it has some tremendous value, they'd be completely puzzled. Yeah, I mean I understand that. But the thing is, I think it's so deeply embedded. You know, for millennia of human cultures, you know, every culture, gold wasn't the store of value. Gold was value itself. Could cryptocurrency supplant that or join that in status? I'm not an anthropologist, I'm not a certainly not a futurist anthropologist. So take my view with a great of salt. But I don't I don't think so. I mean, gold is pretty, you can touch it, it has weight, It's not an intangible asset. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So I can escape with bitcoin too, And I'm like, well, yeah, but're just still going to need electricity if you want to escape with your base point, still.
Speaker 4: Still gonna need Look, I mean, in a really, really, really bad situation, the ultimate store value is cans of tuna. So you know, I'd rather have cans of tuna stockpile than a USB drive at bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, in when the great crisis comes, can I swap some of my gold for some of your tuna.
Speaker 4: Can you eat gold? I don't know, you're.
Speaker 3: Something else.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you so much. I'm gonna ask you one last thing. It's you know, quick fire around this.
Speaker 3: What are you reading at the moment?
Speaker 4: Right now? I'm reading, I'm switching between two books. I'm reading a book on the dysfunction in the art market, and I'm also reading a book about Leonardo da Vinci. That's Walter Isaacson book.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's interesting. We should all read that. I think that's on my list too.
Speaker 4: You know, I can tell it's not that compelling so far. I'm finding it a bit of a slog and I don't I don't think that's Isaacson's fault. It's just there's not you know, there's a paucity of information, so he's kind of it's it's kind of like a book report on you know, during this year of Leonardo's life. He worked in this shop, and he worked on this sketch and here's the picture of it. It's it's kind of a book report on his life so far.
Speaker 3: So I hope it picks up kind of made some stuff up.
Speaker 4: It would have been yeah, it would have been better. I have to, would have perused I have perused my bookshelf looking for fiction to kind of because I'm not it's just not grabbing me here.
Speaker 2: So all right, well, you know, maybe we won't recommend that one to everybody. Stick for the first one. The first one dysfunction in the art market. That's a lot more fun.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, yeah, that that could be. So that's written by Matt Campbell, Bloomberg journalist.
Speaker 2: So okay, yeah, so we can read that while we wait for the great market collapse, and we'll be keeping a very close eye on unemployment numbers on this blog. Thanks to Hugh, Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening this week's Marin Brogs Money. If you like us, your rate, review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts, and keep sending your questions or comments to Merror Money at Bloomberg dot net. You can also follow me and John on Twitter or ex. You're on egg Carson, I'm not following you. I should be.
Speaker 3: If you are, You've got to be on X right. You are definitely at your ex.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean mostly most of the time is at muddy waters ree are okay.
Speaker 3: Everyone's going to follow that.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm Mariness w and John is John Underscore Stepack and now you know where Carson Is. This episode was hosted by me marrin zunsep Web. It was produced by Samasadi and Moroses and sound designed by Blake maybe Up and Aaron Casper and of course special thanks to