Speaker 1: What a What a weekend? Guys? How's everybody?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I feel like so much stuff happened.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's been six weeks since Friday. It feels like, Yeah, I went on TikTok for the first time.
Speaker 2: Ever, willingly not for work, Yeah, just because it really banned very briefly, and I was like, let's see what's going on on TikTok while the Americans are gone?
Speaker 1: And there was nothing going on on TikTok. I still don't know how to use.
Speaker 3: It, everybody. It turns out you just had your app store open. Everybody was just posting like really fun anti American content, Like there was somebody who was like dancing to crazy music and it was like centimeters color.
Speaker 1: Color you. Yeah, what the metric system remember that? Remember when we were planning to change to the metric system. Now, in so many ways, the US has just been like, bah.
Speaker 3: Fuck it, ye, we don't need to measure, we don't need to measure our bombs in metric times.
Speaker 1: We are who who we are. It's just full on. I wonder if full on we are who we are?
Speaker 3: We are who we are, Hello.
Speaker 1: The Internet, and welcome to this week. Trend edition of gist's How My Voice Feels, That's How My Soul Feels. It's production by Heart Radio. This is the episode where we come in very early on our first day back after the after the weekend, in this case, the long Martin Luther King weekend, and tell you what was trending over the past three days. I'm thrilled to be joined by today's very special guest co host, a hilarious stand up comedian. Ah, my voice is not sore from being at the inaugural ball in case anybody's why voice sure from from light saluting. Just you know, it's actually not that. So I did like kind of rolled my shoulder out a little bit. So she feeling pretty good. Jesus christ uh, Paulay. Usually we're like, how are you doing this?
Speaker 3: When it's happening, it's like nothing. You know that we were talking about mister Burns earlier, but you know that mister Burns doctor reference where he goes to the doctor and he gets a check up and they're like, you actually have everything, but because they're all there, none of them can get through this door. That's what it feels like the world right now. I'm like, let me go read a book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it really does. It's just a giant, sustained ball of shit that is a kind of all holding itself together kind of not really though, it's just it really a thing that we kept coming back to. I forget who who the historical quote was from, but during the first Trump administration on the show, we would repeatedly say, you know, things can get worse. It's hard to imagine at the at the time, the things can get worse, and they are. They are worse. This is worse.
Speaker 3: I think the straight you know how, like the gay campaign was like it gets better, but this is like the hetero agenda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, getting worse.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as promised, it's getting worse. So we're going to talk about some of the details from Trump's inauguration TikTok like kind of throat in the boot, just all sorts of Elon Musk doing a doing an actual Nazi salute. But before we get into that, we do like to let the listeners, and you're welcome for this, listeners, let the listeners get to know us a little bit better by telling them some stuff we think is overrated, some stuff we think is underrated. Paul you want us to you want to kick us off withted Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, speaking of this weekend. You know it's overrated history. We're not learning from it. Why are we studying it?
Speaker 1: Still? We are?
Speaker 3: Are the point if you can do a Nazi salute in the middle of everything and the ADL is like, well, he's just enthusiastic.
Speaker 1: Or just an awkward gesture done very enthusiastically.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I'm like everybody's like, we got to learn from the mistakes of history. I'm like, I feel like just current empathy isn't working, So like, how are we try to outsmart history? Sorry, history heads, I'm getting dumber as we speak. Yeah, fuck, history care cares about where I came from or what happened or why we have the values we care about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that my overrated is giving apps five stars, like every time. It feels like every time I encounter an app, Like I'm using Microsoft Outlook as an email client because it is mandated by my workplace, and they ask if I want to rate them, and out of curiosity, I like check. I was like, what what kind of ratings are? Is Microsoft Outlook? Kind of ratings? Is Instagram? Getting so funny? It's five stars, like across the board, Like this industry that we are now aware is trying to take away our free will is successfully take away our free will and is now openly in league with the Trump administration. They're like on the veranda as he's getting sworn in, Like we're just giving them default five stars. Like I feel like we need to recalibrate our grading curve when it comes to to the apps that these massive companies are putting out, like start with a baseline of zero, and if they do something that suggests that they're not going to try to rob you a free will or like destroy democracy in order to gain power, they like get up to one one star.
Speaker 3: You know, I think there should be multiple like axes on which you can rate it, so you could be like, okay, yeah it's super fascist, but also I'm still addicted to it, so like you know what I mean, don't take it away, but like change it, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, That's what I was trying to figure it. Like is this just because it's the equivalent of like ask it like a drug dealer being like, hey, could you rate and review drugs before I give you your nextra drug?
Speaker 3: That is so funny. They're like, let me cater this algorithm to you in this math.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, exactly. Twenty seven million people have rated Instagram and the average rating is an A. It's four point seven out of five. That's ninety four percent.
Speaker 3: What if every standing meeting Mark Zuckerberg walks in and he's like, how are we doing, folks, and they're like, well, the ratings are still at five? Keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I think like it got started out at a really high level. I guess like when people were just like, gee, whiz apps, what can't the tech industry do? And now they're just like still there, like Microsoft outlook a fuck email client that like most people who use it are like this is really frustrating and like doesn't work that well. Is that four point eight out of five? That's like almost an A plus? Like? What why are we? Why do we grade? Like we're the hotel management department at like Alabama giving like all the football players just like good grades to like get their eligibility up. It's just yeah, I don't know if it's goodwill left over from the tech industry from like two thousand and eight, but I feel like we need to just say enough is enough and start like giving these apps zero stars.
Speaker 3: They aren't immigrant uber drivers. Okay, we need to really judge them right.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Brian the Editor has gone to the Google Play Store to check out the reviews for the app Covenant Eies, which has actually is actually earning a me your four point six, which is like an A minus. Actually coveted eyes. Are you aware of polity of Covenant Eyes? This is the app. So this is the app that Speaker of the House Mike Johnson uses to keep him himself and his teenage son from jacking off to internet porn. And we covered it when it was first.
Speaker 3: In houselt for Internet porn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's chastity Belt for internet porn. You essentially have spyware installed on your phone that will tell on you the second you look at porn to another like partner, another like accountability partner, and it's uh, it's apparently working for these ten points, like basically eleven thousand people who have reviewed it as getting an A minus. You'd think that there would be more people being like, fuck, this thing just told my dad that I was jacking off like that.
Speaker 3: I know. They're like, we hope it wouldn't work. I feel like, if you have a problem like that, going to like another app isolation thing isn't the best solution. Like, I feel like, amidst all of these issues that you're having, maybe like connect with people who could help, like human beings who could help you, rather than being like, punish me. That might be kink. What if they're like if getting punished by covenant eyes, They're like, yeah, I've been a bad boy.
Speaker 1: I do feel like in the popular consciousness, at least people who are obsessed with sexual purity also tend to be the people who are like in a dark room on their knees, like whipping their own back, you know. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The editor it does not work.
Speaker 1: Brian, the editor has pulled this quote from the reviews. This was very helpful in my pursuit of sexual purity. So that was it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, virgin, No, I'm kidding jobs. It's fine to be a virgin. You're fine.
Speaker 1: If you're a virgin, it's fine, it's fine. Weird times, I say, we stop giving the tech industry the benefit of the doubt and start grading them taking into account what they're doing to human civilization.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is how I feel about comedians, like I'm gonna have a conversation with someone about comedians, and I'm like, people think this person is funny despite like everything about them, like despite their politics or whatever. And for me, when people have like shitty politics or are bad to women and then have a voice of authority on stage, it really takes the wind out for me, where I'm like, I see through like the Emperor has no clothes sort of thing, so it makes it not funny for me. Yeah, and then you kind of are like, oh, like you reanalyze their jokes and you're like, oh, this is like hack and can be independent of that too, Like they could just not be funny on the front, but you're not fooled by it or whatever. But that's how I feel about that too. I'm like, why are we like all of this is tied together, Like you can't separate the app from the artists or whatever, you know what I mean, Like, you can't separate these things because it does affect everything, and it does affect my perception of things too.
Speaker 1: I think I've done it in the past, like I've given something like a five stars just to get them to leave me alone. And like I think I assume that if I give it one star, they're going to keep bothering me and be like, what's up, man?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why b Yeah, dude, what's a problem.
Speaker 1: Which similar to the difficulty of like critiquing a male comedian and yeah, it's just going to be a g are you gay?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The pushback is going to be incredibly exhausting. And uh, the Internet is now a place where you know fascist ideals and you know bullies reigned supreme.
Speaker 3: So do you want to know something crazy? Like I fully did not mean to shift into this, but it's a perfect transition to something crazy that happened to me yesterday. I'm in an Instagram fight with Elysa Shlessing Are you really? Because she posted something like super racist against the Palestinian prisoners. She was like, when will the world see that they're all terrorists and we're exchanging like innocent people for terrorism, like they're children, And so I posted on her Instagram because this has bothered me for a while. I was like, the last time I saw you live, you were talking about homeless people. Her words were an inconvenience to her day, and I was like, also, this post is racist. Daff like, what hope this helps? And then she wrote this whole thing and then she she said something racist towards me. She was like, you were people actually murdered innocent Muslims because she like my page, she like and she referenced my comedy career as though she was trying to like scare me.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it was just it was so like spinning out, crashing out, and I was like I spent the day like rescuing a dog and going to a kid's birthday party and getting dessert handmade by my boyfriend and he brought me flowers, Like like she's sitting there replying to all of these comments on this way hell post and I responded to it like one time, but she wouldn't let me tag her. But like it's crazy that comedians in that position can just be like racist as hell, And like there's no like Amy Schumer is thriving right now, you know, Like.
Speaker 1: It's that seems to be the entire country at is just in a place of uh yeah, they're like everybody's on board.
Speaker 3: But like anytime any one of those I think about that person's life and I'm like I would a million Times, be like where I am in society and just like prefer to not be racist like that, you know what I mean, Like I would never want to switch positions with you, like you seem so miserable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's been a while since they've been able to like take the racism out for a public walk without any shame, you know, I mean, without getting at least like full pushback from every everybody. All right, Uh, that's wild. Yeah. Also the yeah, there's this quote in the New York Times is the Daily from Monday where they were just doing the update on the ceasefire and the hostage exchange that they referred to them as, you know, the Israeli hostages and then the Palestinian prisoners comma mostly women and minors. So yeah, yeah, it's an interesting difference in the words you use there. They're just being held captive and like swept up without any you know, due process or being even really accused of anything, but they're prisoners.
Speaker 3: I think the amount of like the benefit of the doubt people give to any state sanctioned activity or institutions is insane. Like they're always like, oh, think for yourself, conspiracy theories, woke mind virus. And it's like, I know so many people that are like, oh, they wouldn't do it, the Israel or the US wouldn't do these operations if they were bad. I'm like, yeah, Like, do you have any ethical compass of your own? Like, do you have like think critically about it? It's just insane. It's just insane how people are willing to handwave things because it's just easier for them to not think about it. Yeah, it's I don't know. And they are very good at propaganda. I will give them that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually give the United States government five stars in this operating. Leave me alone, thank you? Yeah, all right, do you have something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Well I was gonna do. I think I've done well, Okay, I'll do this. Speaking of apps, I think it's I think it's underrated. How we used to be able to like get tickets in email form just a PDF to our emails. Now I have to fucking download an app for into it dome and it takes my facial recognition features, Like what, why are why am I giving them my data? Like I just want to go see wrestling.
Speaker 1: And like and would you mind just giving me into a dome app a quick rating. I know. I hate.
Speaker 3: I hate that we have to download.
Speaker 1: App capturing of your facial features really easy and seamless, though you have to know it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what happened, Let's bring masks back, because like this is I know some for some people that hasn't gone, but like for a lot of people it has. But I don't want people taking my like facial structure, Like I don't even want a plastic surgeon looking at that. I'm sensitive. Okay, yeah, I'm just a little little lady. But it's I'm so mad because like we went to a WNBA game and they're like forty minutes and like I had to read download like different like things to even just get into my ticket Master account, and like I sound so old and I don't care, Like I don't. I don't want to download another app for a thing that's very simple, like get the fuck off my phone. Get off my phone. Yeah, I don't care how much storage I have. Get out of here.
Speaker 1: It's getting so much worse. Like we have given these people who run and I know I'm going to get blowback for calling tech billionaires these people, but we've given them like so much power and they with it. They have just made the product the only thing that they have extensibly like given like created value for in exchange for their massive amounts of money, and just like made it so much worse for users, Like there's nobody little.
Speaker 3: Hamster wheels like go outside, plant a tree. You don't have to do tech all the time, you don't have to make another app.
Speaker 1: It does feel like there would be an amazing opportunity for anyone to come through and be like this generation's Ralph Nader, who's like I speak on behalf of the users and this all sucks shit, like everything you've been doing is bad. But I don't know, Like it just feels like there's no way for a person like that to get their message out other than the daily zeitgeist. Yeah anyways, Uh, that's that's bad that so many of these apps are so fucking bad. Underrated real quick, just a propos of almost nothing. I want to say, the Hollywood the Hollywood Sign. I think the Hollywood Sign is underrated. So I was just as researching places to see in Japan, and I was like checking out whether like one of the you know, you know that intersection where everybody like crosses in Tokyo and movies, it's like the establishing shot to be like you're in Tokyo. Yeah, yeah, And I was just like trying to get a sense of like is that worth saying or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I've heard. I've heard that one's really cool. But like the that's kind of how I think about these things, like the establishing shot thing that a movie will use to be like, this is where you are, is it worth seeing? And like sometimes it is so the Miami sign that they always show as an establishing shot in movies to say, it's usually like a jet landing and then a sign that says welcome to Miami that doesn't exist. It was invented for establishing shots, Like that sign doesn't actually exist.
Speaker 3: I always hear it in Will Smith voice, welcome to my.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Miami. Yeah, the Will Smith sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the Hollywood sign I've always thought, I think before I moved here, I was like, oh, that's probably just like a zero thing, and like it. You sometimes do see influencers taking pictures like in the middle of the street with the Hollywood sign in the background, like ten miles away, and it's like Yeah, that sounds like that's stupid to you know. Just like get a picture from like way far away of the Hollywood Sign. It's like taking a picture of the moon. You know, it's gonna look like shit, it's gonna be tiny. But you can like hike up near the Hollywood Sign. There's like there's a huge reservoir right by the sign. There's so many cool hiking paths up there, and it's just like it's giant. The hikes are nice. It's an awesome like area of town where like nature meets these big Hollywood movie star asshole mansions and it's I don't know. And you know, I thought we had lost it when that extremely believable AI image started making the rounds with it.
Speaker 3: And I don't blame them because it's so confusing what's real and what's not right now, But yeah, we did not lose the Hollywood Sign.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I guess it just hit me that it's kind of a cool sign, kind of a cool landmark for a city that doesn't we don't have a lot of good land Like the Hollywood Boulevard with like the stars on the sidewalk not great. The Walk of Fame is not great. But the Hollywood Sign has its angles that it's worth say.
Speaker 3: Two things about the Hollywood Sign. Yes, that's all very true. And I also think it's okay for like tourists and influencers to get excited about these things, because that's like totally what makes this you know what I mean? Like I think I think it's fine, and we need to find more joy and stuff like that, and if it's something that's so prominent, like the Minion brings people so much joy for the universal peeking over, we have the Hollywood side and the Minion and that's la and I love it. And then also fun fact, my undergrad pranked the Holly I think it was was it the Hollywood Sign and made it spell out like hold on, I need.
Speaker 1: To look weird.
Speaker 3: No, it spelled out like our cal Tech name and it was in they like changed it to make it say cal Tech and there's a picture of it. Yeah, so they added.
Speaker 1: Like impressive prank.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, like it's a bunch of engineers who were like where do I put all my sexual tension? But yeah, they changed it cal Tech. They like blacked out the H and the D and changed the middle to say cal Tech. And I thought that was pretty fun and cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because cal Tech and Hollywood are not very close to one, like those words, There's there's a lot of work to be done there.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of work that's pretty cool. You do fun pranks, you could You could be in a romantic movie and be taken up there and get to sit on the Hollywood Sign.
Speaker 1: All those engineers, by the way, are still in prison for that prank. They will never get out January six ers. On the other hand, all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll talk about all the crazy shit that's happening in the news. We'll be right back, and we're back, and so over the long weekend, a lot of events, a lot of news stories that could broadly be interpreted as both Donald Trump winning and America just doing a full like he'll turn like not not that America hasn't been like bad for a long long time, but like America has also always wanted so desperately to be good. We would like delude ourselves into believing we were the good guys. And it just feels like that shit is over.
Speaker 3: As a non black person, I would like to just assert myself here and say, Martin Luther King Junior would not have approved of the events of this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's such a good point, because I think a lot of people were wondering. But yeah, I don't know. Donald Trump has won everyone from tech billionaires to like Mike Tyson. We're at the inaugural ball this is above round.
Speaker 3: Snoop Dogg and Nelly performing there and stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't don't know. I couldn't even keep track of all the disappointing details of the inaugurat.
Speaker 3: Eybody's fine with it now, They're all just fine. I feel like I'm living in crazy Land all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this feels so much further gone, Like America seems so much further gone.
Speaker 3: We're cooked.
Speaker 1: We are so cooked, like irrevocably cooked, like can't unpickle the cucumber, cook Like this is this is a bad place that we seem to be. Like embracing some things that happened over the weekend that I just wanted to because they're like the fact that Donald Trump introduced like a meme coin over the weekend and is now fifty eight billion dollars richer because of it. Like he didn't just he didn't do anything. He just like made it clear that he's going to be corrupt and then partook in some corruption that allowed people to just be like, we'll put our money into that so that he does things for us.
Speaker 3: I still feel bad. I don't know Donald Trump, No, not for him at all, but for like the people who buy these coins, and like, I know they're so there's so many people that are so dumb and so enthusiastic and so racist and so whatever. But I'm also like he's still grifting off of Americans, you know what I mean, Like I'm still like, oh god, so sweety oh sweaty.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I don't know who the money is primarily coming from. If it's the same people who like typically buy, you know, in library commemorative plates, who are like putting their money into this, I can't imagine there's fifty eight billion dollars worth of that money, So I think it's all It also has.
Speaker 3: To be Princess Diana plate superiority, Okay.
Speaker 1: Right, the best plates. That's where most of my savings are are in Princess Diana plates.
Speaker 3: Hell. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Similarly, like this all feels like it's all part of the same story, which is that Donald Trump is taking power, has announced that he's going to be enormously corrupt, and rather than anyone pumping the brakes on that in any effective way, everyone is just clearing the decks for that corruption or getting involved with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They just want to be on the side of capital.
Speaker 1: It's crazy on the way just America loves a winner so much that we just like have a heart time dealing with something like this. Like I feel like Americans are going to have a hard time not getting pulled into this shit unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I mean they already have. That's why I like he won, Yeah, and that's why everybody was cool with it, and people even at shows honestly, Like sometimes I'll try to read the crowd and be like, how did you feel about the election, and like it is so like people are so much more proud to say, like they're happy that he won now than they were in twenty sixteen. Yeah, yeah, yeah, in La in La.
Speaker 1: Right. That's the thing. It just seems to be very little shame about it at this point. Like I think people are more likely to feel shame about like being for social justice at this point than the.
Speaker 3: Woke mind virus.
Speaker 1: Yeah to being sick with the woke mind virus called.
Speaker 3: In sick to work because I have the woke mind virus.
Speaker 1: That is true. I wonder that would be a cool thing. A cool consequence is if he like gets that recognized because he did pull out of the World Health Organization. So America may soon be out on their own island of like what is recognized as healthy or like actual pathologies. Maybe we can start getting off work for having the woke mind virus.
Speaker 3: I am. I'm an overseas citizen of India and I'm ready to become a non overseas citizen. I'm ready to go back to where I came from.
Speaker 4: You guys, So yeah, it's I know, I feel like everybody who has dual citizenship is you know, a lot a lot of people who don't are feeling pretty.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't leave. Yes, we have mutual aid to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So TikTok did a publicity stunt the like I feel like, I don't know, it seems like it was a publicity stunt. They like, heading into it, they were like, maybe Donald Trump can save us. Then they went dark for fourteen hours and then came back with like a pop up that essentially said thanks to dear leader Donald Trump, we have a second chance at life again. Like he didn't do anything other than make it clear that he is corrupt, and you know that's all he needs to do. He's corrupt, and like the system is going to be like he's going to be able to do whatever the fuck he wants. And so all of these self interested actors are just like, okay, like how do we get on board with this? It's it's just amazing how quickly everything has crumbled.
Speaker 3: Like if you're willing to say you love him unconditionally and will do his bidding, you will profit in some capacity. The first time around, a lot of those people went to jail but got book deals or whatever or like, you know, we're kicked maybe not went to jail, but we're kicked out pretty quickly, but got book deals or longevity in their pseudo careers that they never would have without him. But now this time around, people are going to monetarily benefit in a real way and they're all in. They're just all in on it. And if he if they're committed to him, then it's fine. And that includes companies like Dick Doc.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And so there's like the self interested aspect of like people at that level, Like, I don't know, it feels like there's a lot of things that used to be like taking people took relatively seriously, like the idea that like corporate goodwill was an okay thing to rely on, or that like voting for the lesser of two evils was an okay strategy, or that it was okay for like the media to you know, adopt that strategy, and like, uh, it's just like all these things are just crumbling, Like it's making like he right away his second administration is just like, yeah, none of those things actually are protecting anything, and I am I am God Emperor. Like in his inaugeration speech, he was like that God saved me from the assassin's bullet and that yeah, God.
Speaker 3: That was the worst thing that could have happened for the campaign at that point. Looking back, he just gained like momentum from that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's you know, he's in power. Corruption favors those in power. Everyone in America is like bad winner takes all systems is going to be tripping over each other to praise him and give him the things he wants because that will give them the things they want.
Speaker 3: I do want to say that now is now, more than ever, is the time to bully people. And I think it's fine anything that you listen, you're a leftist, okay, the people that I'm talking to, You care about people. You want to say the right things. You don't want to use terms and slurs and bad things. Now direct any animosity you have in you towards people who think it's okay to do those things and bully them. I think that's fine. I think it's fine to bully people so that they know that we don't agree with them. And I think that's our obligation now is to make people get roasted.
Speaker 1: Get roast, get roasted. Asshole is like a good a good action movie.
Speaker 3: I saw a tweet that was like I wish I knew who they were, Like this made me laugh NonStop. It was a cyber truck in New York and somebody had written very clearly and sharp you on a piece of paper and stuck it under their wind chilled dork. And I'm like, just do shit like that ruin their day? You know?
Speaker 1: H yeah, that is the correct label to.
Speaker 3: That fucking nerd in a bad way.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know, like the TikTok canceling themselves and then claiming Donald Trump save them, Like, yes, we should be making fun of TikTok for being fucking losers and throating the boot in a way that is both pathetic and also guaranteed to fail them, since anybody who gives Trump that much power over them always gets fucked over. But you know, they're they're going all in on this strategy that everybody else seems to be adopting, despite years and years of evidence that everybody who pays fealty to Trump ultimately ends up getting sucked over. But I also so like one of the reactions to this, which I like at the time, I was like, this is funny. Like people started saying, like started a meme that say, Kendrick Lamar saved TikTok instead of Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: That's so fun Yeah, It's like how people were like JK Rowling didn't write Harry Potter or somebody else did, right?
Speaker 1: Did you see the thing where she like did She was like, I'm gonna show everybody, like all these people who politically attacked me that I'm actually a superior writer and then like wrote it under a pen name and the book that she wrote, like nobody even noticed it. Yeah, yeah, everyone was just like, I mean that was a while ago, but somebody did a threat about that over the weekend that I quite enjoyed. But I don't know, I just feel like we need to accept like the Kendrick Lamar thing is also feels like Americans like being unwilling to admit we're fucking loose, that we lost, that we're losers that, Like, I don't know, like I feel like people still want to believe that we live in a country where you can like be right and win, and like we don't. I don't know if the Kendrick Lamar things like the most clear evidence of that, but it just it feels like that's that's a thing we're going to be dealing with, is everybody in America wanting to be on the winning side. And in that case, it's just like we're we're making something up so that we don't have to admit what's actually going on. In this case, the fantasy where Kendrick Lamar saved it instead of TikTok claiming that Donald Trump did, I.
Speaker 3: Think we're all like that's also trolling. Like I do think that people want to take the wind out of his sales or whatever. But I also think we have like such an identity crisis because we are a country of like individualism, the American dream winning, but simultaneously we like root for the underdog. We enjoy like aesthetics of the working class without actually backing any of their policies. So we have such a contradictory view of ourselves and what we want or even the right does, you know. And so I think it's like really hard to have a clear voice and a clear path on like what winning even means when you don't know who you are. Like we're so confused because we're like like fuck the British, but we want to look like them, you know, Like we're like fuck, fuck all of these people. We started this country on our own and we threw the tea in and whatever, but also we want to be like you. And I think a lot of the colonial aftermath is that, like that's how like a lot of Indian people are, is like there they are very like striving to be like white adjacent or what ever in aesthetic despite like the harms that colonization have like done to us, you know. So it's like kind of like Stockholm syndrome if that were real. But but for like the things that never served you in the first place that you rebelled against. We all have daddy issues, is what I'm saying. We don't know what we're doing.
Speaker 1: It seems like we're it's a mess out here. Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll keep talking about the inauguration and uh and other uh horrible things. We'll be right back. That's and that's called a tease, folks. And we're back and okay. So Trump's inauguration, first day in office, uh, he started doing like signing executive orders in like in a way it seems like it was like designed to be a sporting event. At the end of signing some of them, he like threw the markers out into the crowd, like it was like a pair of batting gloves after somebody hit a home run and everybody like went went wild for it. So bad feels feels very dictatory. He like I said, he mentioned his speech that God saved his life from the assassin's bullet. So this entire administration is mandated by God. And with that mandate, the entire tone just seems to be like I was right, and you're all like need to admit it. And so he's like pulling the US out of the World Health Organization UK.
Speaker 3: But do executive orders really work? If I can't read, maybe they're not real at all.
Speaker 1: Who knows that's right? There's actually no way to tell. There's no way to know because it's being reported by a lot of people who make you read to check out their reporting. So boo, I think we're I think we're okay to disregard most of this. Talked about ending the weaponization of government, like and while like it was a weird statement, that's basically like the Department of Justice and FBI are like going to be full time investigating people in the Biden White House. So like Biden on his way out preemptively like pardoned everyone he can think of, like Trump going after including his brothers and yeah, just like his whole family. Liz Cheney of course, because the Democrats ore her huge debt and uh but not Jack Smith though, which sucks for Jack Smith. Not you, my man. Uh, you're gonna you're gonna take this one for the team. He Trump pulled America out of the Climate accord and he pardoned basically every January sixth person. I think it's worth noting like prior to this, it's been it's pulled as very unpopular to just be like these people are all getting out. It just feels like such on corruption.
Speaker 3: Overturning Roe v. Wade. They don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just don't give a fuck. I also just feel like these people getting out, like I don't know that one feels like more to come in the worst most foreboding way possible, Like you know, these people are going to like be the brown shirts for whatever he's doing here.
Speaker 3: I literally mean this with my whole heart. Like I was joking about the like not breeding the executive orders, but if it goes against your ethics, it doesn't exist to me. Like I'm sorry, trans and non binary people exist, and I'm going to help them in any fucking way possible that I can. Like, if the law of the land is wrong, protect yourself and be safe, and you know, the people who can do it work on it more. But I'm just like, we can't pay attention to it. We cannot give into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we definitely cannot give into it. There's also like an intriguing level he's working at now where he's doubling down on like eighteenth century expansionist rhetoric, like Napoleonic type shit, where like the US is going to take new territory including Greenland to Mars and of course renamed the Gulf of America the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America.
Speaker 3: So really fucking weird of him to support Napoleonic policies when Baron is so tall.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, pretty fucked up, that's right, all right. On the other hand, like there's just been a lot of reporting in the past week about like what we're learning about the Biden administration and how they handled the siege of Gaza, So in many ways it's pretty straightforward. They just didn't actually care enough to stop Israel, Like they weren't willing to stop them. Israel knew it. And since one of the details that jumped out to me Biden in an exit interview last week emitted like that on the ninth day of the war, Netanya who said he wanted to do to Gaza what the US did to Hiroshima in World War two. So literally, like every time blinken or state official got up and said, well, we're looking into it, and uh, you know, Israel is investigating in good faith, like they knew that she was a lot Like I think we knew that time. But it's like that the ninth day, like after they started, you know, committing wark rhymes, they like they knew what their intent was fully, they they knew that Israel was bent on full scale destruction of Gaza from day one.
Speaker 3: It's so fucking evil. It is so evil. Like now that the ceasefires happened, people are posting videos of like all of the martyrs of Gaza and like the people that the stories that reached us that we and like there's so many that I remember and those people are gone and it's because of these fucking assholes. Yeah, so evil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you another detail from behind the scenes, Like you need to go through tons of red tape to use the word condemn around like Israeli settlers demolishing Palestinian homes in the West Bank. Like they they're officials who are like trying to trying to just say that the US condemns that, like and it took them like weeks and like they're they're doing it like because it's a horrible war crime, but also like from a self interested perspective, being like this is a terrible look, like all the stuff that people were saying during the election, like this is going to be bad for you, and just getting ignored or told it's too late to change a decision. Yeah, it's so.
Speaker 3: Bad at their jobs. In addition to being bad people, they're just at their jobs. Also a side note, even though the ceasefires happened and I'm still concerned, but I want Gazans to be happy, the West Bank is still getting violated, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the West Bank is seems like it's the next phase of the plan for Israel Is to like try and take that over.
Speaker 3: And they don't allow concrete into Gaza, so like how are they going to rebuild? Yeah, like that's insane.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's just the Democratic Party. It's very frustrating because they were so incompetent and passive and weak and also just evil. You know. It's not just like that they were insufficiently good at getting Israel to stop like they were on board with this vision. Yeah, and so now it makes Trump look like he's a genius because he's just says actually, I don't want this because it's a bad look for me and is able to like make more progress than Biden was.
Speaker 3: But also he was also so helping set up the conditions that led to October seventh, like through everything he did while he was president, Like he's they're all just playing a game. That's why they sat together, That's why it was. If they really thought he was a fascist, would they be like glad handing him? Would him and Obama be chatting it up? You know what I mean? Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when your two options are people who fund an arm a genocide and person who like made it possible in the first place, but then like temporarily stops it because it's a good pr look for them, it might be time to like take a step back from like strategic thinking about how we win the next election and have the like maybe we're the bad guys conversation are Web sketch.
Speaker 3: I love that sketch so much. I reference it all the time, and it is more relevant now than ever.
Speaker 1: Like the good guys who people were rooting for in the last election, that we were rooting for in the last election, these they were the ones who heard Nanya, who say he wanted to, you know, do a hiroshima in Gaza, and we're just like, all right, like, how do we get people off our back while he does that? So I don't know. Yeah, you can't watch like children reacting to news of the ceasefire and celebrating without feeling like a swelling. But I don't know. Yeah, even if we want to temper our hope with like knowledge of how America always let Israel do whatever it wants, I don't know. If it gets people some hope, they certainly fucking deserve it at this point. Yeah, yeah, all right. And finally, there is a historic blizzard warning happening in like Texas and Louisiana right now, which is abnormal here that Ted.
Speaker 3: Cruz, you might want to buy your tickets out.
Speaker 1: Now get to Kang Kun's stat my man. But this is yet another sort of we've talked about the disruption of patterns that have held for like hundreds of years in the global you know, weather systems that are now being disrupted by globalism, by and feminism, mainly feminism, but.
Speaker 3: He's feminist, guy jobs. And now there's blizzards in the South.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, so a lot of the climate reporting on the LA fires is pointing to this like thing they're calling the whiplash effect that happens. Like so, first of all, climate scientists seem to be the people to be listening to in all cases, but especially when it comes to these like natural disasters that are harming us and you know, burning people's homes down. But like there's a climate scientist Daniel Swain of UCLA who wrote a blog post on January fourth, at the beginning of the week warning that a high end offshore wind fire event Manfold and Soco this week, and people like him have been writing about this kind of whiplash effect where the warmer weather makes it so that more and more precipitation is dumped on, like when there's a rainy season in the winter, like it gets really super rainy, and so there's tons of plants that grow. And then when it's dry, like it gets much drier, like super dry. And so that's what like this kind of whiplash thing where it's like the extremes are more extreme, is caused by climate and it is like what is causing these fire conditions? And I feel like we're seeing that now with this polar vortex going down to the south, which I in a way that like I didn't totally understand, but kind of doing research into it, I guess the explanation is that there's like a spinning polar vortex on the at the very top of the globe that keeps like all the Arctic air up there. But as it gets warmer, it like it's like a spinning figure skater who like if you like put your arms out, you slow down. Like as it slows down, it like starts letting cold air out further and further, and so like cold air starts shooting down to like Texas and like places that didn't used to have it. And again it's like, you know, a direct result that has been predicted by climate scientists. It's just nobody's really been listening. But anyways, now we're gonna like see more weird apocalyptic shit. But like also like fun in some cases, like the Atlanta getting snow was cute.
Speaker 3: It was I mean, what people were doing on social media was cute. Yeah, for sure. There was like somebody who took their dog for a walk and the dog just like climbed into their hoodie because they were like what the fuck is there? Or like people like trying, like seeing snow for the first time, which was really sweet, but also in general, this is not what's supposed to.
Speaker 1: Happen, right, it doesn't happen here. Yeah, put a dog crawling into a hoodie, Well we'll take it. We need we need some.
Speaker 3: This is our are on band TikTok. The dog crawling into the hoodie is what we're latching onto.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right, Paula Vigan, allam, what a pleasure having you as always? Where can people find you? Follow you? All that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Okay, listen up, folks, this is what I need. I am on two shows at Sketch Fest in San Francisco this weekend. If you live there, please buy tickets. If you don't live there, tell someone you know who lives there to buy tickets. I'm on Facial Recognition comedy on Saturday, and I'm also on Comedian Clash on Saturday, hosted by Zech Gang member Jackieth Neil. So it's going to be a really great show. Facial Recognition is going to be an amazing lineup. We got a partner on Charla on there. I'm really excited, So please buy tickets so we can sell out. So the next year, we can have like bigger venues, more people, bigger things. You know. Yeah, we comedians only need tickets sold. That's what we need. We do the social media thing because we're mentally ill and we need tickets sold. That's there you go, So just buy tickets, make us, make us continue doing this despite not having insurance. Okay, just buy tickets. But thank you.
Speaker 1: There is like gang step up. Hope to see you out there. That would be that would be dope. All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines, get your flu shots while they still while they still exist. Don't do nothing about white supremacy. And we will talk to you tomorrow. Bye bye,