Speaker 1: Welcome to I Do Part two, the podcast for people that either didn't get love right the first time around, are people that have loved and lost Sondra, I am welcoming you tonight to this podcast from Carmel, California. Sandra Mason from our season of Golden Bachelor. How are you doing this evening, Sondra?
Speaker 2: I am doing great for being midnight when it says nine o'clock here.
Speaker 1: Well, I heard Sandra's tired, but that's okay. So I am on with Susan Knowles. We have the Golden Bachelor podcast. It's under Bachelor Happy Hour and it's Golden Hour, and I hope you all will tune in. But tonight this is about all things love. So Sandra, I haven't seen you in a while, and Part two, you may or may not know, is all about finding love again. So let's start back at the beginning. Tell me about your first love, your family, tell me how we got to where we are, because this podcast is all about finding love again. And to get that, we need to know where you came from.
Speaker 2: Okay, first love as in when I was a young young gul.
Speaker 1: Well you know, maybe your husband, the father, your kids, wherever you want to start. USh.
Speaker 2: God, I got married in nineteen sixty eight. Do the math. It's about one hundred years ago. I have two daughters. And that was love. We were in college. Boy, that takes me back. We were in college and got married before I graduated. He had graduated.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and how old are your kids now?
Speaker 2: Fifty two and almost forty?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: How old are you? Seventy six and a half.
Speaker 1: And I count them, So you're going to be soon be seventy seven in July. All right, well, you know, happy half birthday there, Thank you, ma'am. Okay, so tell me you know you've had an amazing week. I'm just going to jump in here. Your photograph with c K, that is Charles K went viral. Tell me about that, Like, did you have any idea that it would go viral? What were you thinking?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. We were just having fun and taking pictures and kind of yacking it up. And we were at the restaurant and folks were saying, yeah, let us take the pictures for you, because in two old people trying to figure out how to hold cant the phone up high and get the light. And so are you talking to him?
Speaker 1: Are you dating? Him. Come on, give us the school that's going on.
Speaker 2: Okay, we lived three thousand miles apart, so it's not exactly dating. We're kind of like phone piles or pin pals. So but unfortunately, well unfortunately we do live that far apart. And the second unfortunately is that he has an opportunity. His company is sending him to Cape Town, South Africa shortly. I guess his first trip there will be March.
Speaker 1: So there's that makes flirting long distance in issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a brand new talent. I'll have to develop something.
Speaker 1: So wait, are you thinking like you flirting? Are you interested? Tell me what you're thinking?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm interested. I don't know if he is or not. I can't speak for him, but as a matter of fact, I was telling him that when it was Jones Limo night, he was the one gentleman that I honed in on when he walked out of the limo. Really, yeah, he was the one, and just coincidentally, I've met it.
Speaker 1: So wait, let me he lives in right now, He lives in California and you live in Atlanta. So was he there?
Speaker 2: On? Where were you?
Speaker 1: Where was the where were those pictures taken?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, I came out here years for the Rose Bowl Parade, and he and I had been talking, uh chatting on the phone. Matter of fact, he had gone to Atlanta for business and we were supposed to have dinner one evening and I wound up in the hospital. Yeah, this was supposed uh ton selectomy.
Speaker 1: And how are you feeling now?
Speaker 2: I'm a lot better?
Speaker 1: Okay, good. We're glad to hear that.
Speaker 2: I haven't had a cold and I haven't had a throw you know what.
Speaker 1: I've had your cold, bronchitis, I've had it all. But I'm good now. So hold on, So you came out here, did you reach out to him to have dinner?
Speaker 2: Well, because I owed him. I thought I owed him from when I owed stood him up in Atlanta and intantly. But so I told him I was coming up for the parade, and we agreed to meet and got to dinner.
Speaker 1: Okay, and was it everything? I mean, come on, give.
Speaker 2: We had great conversation. He's he's he's funny. We were funny together. We just we had just great conversation, telling jokes and and just learning who each other is. Uh, learning about his past and shared mine with him, and we just yucked it up. It was just a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I can't tell. I can't tell if it's if he's the friend zone.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he would have to be. Again, we're three thousand miles so.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll travel anywhere for love, Saunders say, you know, well.
Speaker 2: Okay, I won't. I don't think he would either. You know he's got Hey, I always look at it this wave. I'm interested in the guy. Other people are interested in that same guy. So it's not like I can.
Speaker 1: Don't you think you're I mean, come on, aren't you first in line?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I haven't asked, all right.
Speaker 1: So so for those of you who don't know, we're all out here having a fabulous weekend in Carmel, and we're here for the Pebble Beach pro am, and I do I need to tell you how many available men are going to be on that golf course.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Tell me there's gonna be a lot. Okay, So my question for you is, what do you think? Are you going to be flirting with some other guys you're gonna be looking? Are you gonna because you know c K is here?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes? Have you seen him?
Speaker 1: Man? I know?
Speaker 2: Well, I know we're supposed to have a podcast tomorrow. So have I seen him?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I just walked in.
Speaker 1: Wait, what give me the school? I want the scoop, Sondra, what's the scoop going to be on the podcast?
Speaker 2: I have no idea?
Speaker 1: Nope? Are you going? Are you going to ask him out? You're going to try to like be his date while you're here?
Speaker 2: Come on, Kathy, you're asking me things I haven't even thought about. I don't I don't know what to expect to this entire weekend. So I know that some of his castmates will be there, so he gets to reunite with the guys.
Speaker 1: It's a golden reunion. Okay, Okay, so let me ask you something. Are you dating at all? Other guys? Spell you know, I'm going to ask.
Speaker 2: A gentleman in my local area that I've been talking with, just talking and and and we've we've gone to dinner a couple of times, and uh, I met a buddy of his. So that's that's dating. That's prelim dating, I think, Sondra.
Speaker 1: Help you know me? Well, you know I'm not letting that one go. Are we kissing? Are we holding?
Speaker 2: We have kissed?
Speaker 1: So this is more than just a one time date.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thus far, we've had two I call call it to a half dates.
Speaker 1: So, K, you're out in the cold, buddy.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna Oh no, no, no, don't say that. I'd be willing to bet mister has had since I've met him, he's had several dates. He's a working guy too, so his time maybe someone limited. I'm retired, so I can I'm a little more flexible.
Speaker 1: So are you dating more than one guy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Not right now? Are you a one guy girl? Not necessarily, but there's only one guy right now, right now, and he lives in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: He lives in the Atlanta area.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you know you and I are both in the dating world now. And it's a different world, right, I mean tell me, I can't remember. Are you divorced, right? Yes, divorced? Okay, and you know my husband passed away, so it's a little bit different. How do your kids feel about you dating?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're excited for me, just like I've said before. They are my cheerleaders. When I was on the Golden Batch, they were my cheerleaders, and finding a guy is something they want for me, just like I want that for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well are your kids with Do they have partners?
Speaker 2: Actually? Yes, you know one got married, Yeah, I remember that. The other one is dating a gentleman. So yeah, they're doing great.
Speaker 1: So how do they feel like my kids? I'll be honest with you. My kids don't like it when they see me with the guy kissing them, holding hands PDA. Uh uh kids that you'd have to ask them.
Speaker 2: But they want you to be a virgin till you die.
Speaker 1: I think the virgin things sailed three children ago. Well, no, you know what I mean, But no, I just think it makes them uncomfortable. Your kids, how do you feel about PDA? Like, are you going to hold hands in public? Kids in public?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it comes to that, absolutely, I don't. I don't have a problem with that at all. And I don't think they would either. Yeah, they might. They might kid my daughters.
Speaker 1: So are you looking for serious the serious next guy?
Speaker 2: I would think?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really, are you ready to get like commit?
Speaker 2: Oh? If it's the right man, I will commit. Now. I'm not signing papers, that's what you're asking.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: It means I'm not getting married?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, I mean unless you want more children at seventy six what.
Speaker 2: We could practice?
Speaker 1: But yeah, So okay, so you're out here, you're gonna go? Are you gonna be looking for guys out here?
Speaker 2: I I hadn't thought about it. So what I hadn't I didn't know what to expect.
Speaker 1: I'm not okay, let me let me break the down.
Speaker 2: You break it down, girlfriend.
Speaker 1: There is going to be a pebblebeat pro am golf tournament. There's gonna be a lot of golfers. There's gonna be a lot of people watching the golfers. Men love golf. Yes, I know, there's can be a lot of men out there. Okay, are you gonna be searching? Do I have to fight you? Do I have to fight you? No?
Speaker 2: Of course not. You know, here's the thing. I'm not a flirter. I'm really not.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that for one minute.
Speaker 2: I think the most effective way to approach men or is just to talk, just to talk and be myself. I'm the whole flirting thing. My god, I'm seventy six years old at the I'm not flirting.
Speaker 1: So how do you meet guys? I mean, what do you do? You go up and talk to him? Talk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk, about.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing I do Part two. Right, We've we've both been married before. We're looking for part two. We're looking for our second happiness, right, second partner, second person to spend our life with.
Speaker 2: Right, well, could have been more than that. But okay, I mean I've dated since right divorce. But no.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying we're looking for that that person.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you?
Speaker 1: I mean I am.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm looking. I'm not, see Kathy, I don't. I'm not sure how to express this. I'm not out looking and searching for a guy. It happens organically. I bump into men, I meet men, friends, introduced me to guys. But to say I'm out there with you know my antenna up? No? No?
Speaker 1: So okay, well, I think that's very fair. I mean, you know me, I always say, guys aren't going to come and knock on your door. You have to be out there.
Speaker 2: Let me be out there, out and about.
Speaker 1: So are you good? If you're I mean, I have to be honest. I would like to find that guy to have my part two with, and I think you would too. But it takes a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't, I wouldn't call it work. I just I don't know. Effort, effort, Okay, effort In other words, like you said, you can't sit at home and expect someone to knock on the door. You have to be out and about, you have to be Do you.
Speaker 1: Know what I would do right now to have someone knock on the door, just on this podcast here, that knock and say, wow, he's here. I don't think it's happening. Just it just passed my mind for a moment there. But you know, I think I think a lot of people thought that, you know, we would have a lot of guys from jone season, uh, you know, hooking up with us. I think the difference. I actually I was going to ask you this. I think that I've talked to a lot of the guys from Jones season and they've had a lot of women reach out to them.
Speaker 2: I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 1: I'm not either. Did you have a lot of guys reach out to you on DMS when you came off the show.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to I don't think a lot is an appropriate word. I've had several, but I don't know what that's on.
Speaker 1: Did you date any of them?
Speaker 2: No, I've had converse phone conversations. The problem, Well, I don't know if it's a problem. The gentlemen who have reached out to me again are long distance from where I am.
Speaker 1: Are you willing to relocate?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. It depends on who it is and what the other circumstances in life. It's just in my mind, it's difficult to date. It's difficult to get to know someone. It's difficult to be spontaneous when someone lives a plane ride away?
Speaker 1: Okay, but wait, would you pick up? And I think the difference between now and part two for me is I meet the guy I'm interested in. He says, Hey, you know, let me buy a ticket. Let's meet in London. I'm going, okay, are you?
Speaker 2: It depends on It depends on who he is.
Speaker 1: What I mean, if I have to be interested.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, if it's the right guy, I might do that. And I've had a guy say to me whom I really never met, just had half of a conversation with, and he says, I want you to come out and see you live in Chicago. I want you to come see me and I'll pay your way. And how's that? And I said, well, first of all, I can pay my own way. If I'm going to come see you, I'm paying my own way. And two, I gave him the daughter test. Do you have a daughter? He said yes. I said, if some man she never met said to her, I'll pay your way, come see me, what would you tell your daughter? And it stopped him and he said, I understand. So I said, so look, if you want to meet me, you come my way. You make that effort first. I'm not gonna hop a plane come see you just because you paid for it.
Speaker 1: And folks, therein lies the difference. If c K goes to South Africa and asks me to come, I'm on the next plane.
Speaker 2: But see, I've already mete K. I've met him. We've had we've spent time together. We've on the phone, we've had nose to nose.
Speaker 1: So I, I wait, did you kiss him?
Speaker 2: We kissed?
Speaker 1: Is he a good kisser?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think I think we matched well in that department.
Speaker 1: Listen to her. I'm telling you, getting stuff out of you, Sundra's like pulling teeth.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, Kathy, I'm a very pragmatic person, very practical, very pragmatic. So I'm not one who can read between the lines very well.
Speaker 1: You're not going to jump off a cliff if if you think I could be loved, you're not going to take the risk.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well that's what are you asking me.
Speaker 1: I guess what I'm saying is you know, you see you're pragmatic. Sometimes love, especially at our age, is just jumping off a cliff saying I don't know, let's see where it goes.
Speaker 2: Okay, So are you talking about once you're in love or getting toward love? I'm away? At what point are you talking about.
Speaker 1: Saying I meet somebody and I think, well, maybe I'm interested just taking the risk. It's you know, it's not like you and I are gonna raise a family, have children, So why not take a risk? You're retired? Why not?
Speaker 2: Well, I can take a risk, but I've got to get to know someone I've got. There's got to be some comfort level there that he is age appropriate, that he has relationships, the family relationships that he has, that he's financially stable. There are things that I that have to be in place before I jump off a cliff. Okay, So because I'm too practical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just going to say, that's that's very that's not jumping off a cliff. That's getting all the data walking step by stepped to the cliff, and which is fine too, which is fine to Well, you know what. It seems to have worked well for you so far. Are you ready for the golf tournament tomorrow?
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, it should be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you a golfer? I used to golf. I've got two sets of clubs in my garage.
Speaker 1: Wait, you know how I talk about used to guys? Are you a used to golfer? Mean?
Speaker 2: I used to golf. I stopped about a year and a half ago. I stopped just before we filmed on the Batch because I had a little bit of a car accident and jammed my thumb and it swelled up. Went to the doctor and they x rayed both hands and said, oh, by the way, you have arthritis and both thumbs. Oh joy. Okay, so gripping sometimes is a problem for me. So I haven't since the show. I haven't really. I've gone out to the range. I haven't gone out to the course.
Speaker 1: I can all right, Well, I'm going to be watching you at this golf tournament I'm going to be seeing who you make eye contact with. I'm going to be seeing who floats your boat, who you're willing to walk off the cliff for, who you're willing to walk up and give a kiss to, who you're willing to walk up to and start a conversation with.
Speaker 2: Hey, I can do I can conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can do that. Sure, Okay, now I might, I might beat you to it.
Speaker 2: Can I get some pointers from you because you seem to be you know what?
Speaker 1: I I pointers on what how to meet.
Speaker 2: The guy, how to flirt, how to I mean turn off.
Speaker 1: Here's here's what I do if I find someone that is appealing to me. I think the biggest compliment you can pay someone and show you're interested is to ask him, in my case, ask him questions about himself. That's what I do. I ask, and I use their name, so you know, in your case, c K, tell me where you know, tell me you're going to South Africa. Whatever I ask using their name, look them in the eye, ask some questions about themselves, because I think that puts people at ease. But then, of course I'm waiting for those people ask me questions as well. But I also think sometimes just a smile, you know, making an eye contact. It's not that hard. I do believe chemistry is you know, it's it's at the forefront. Right you meet someone, you either have chemistry you don't.
Speaker 2: See and I don't I don't see. I don't like to be interviewed. I don't like men to come ask me are you married? Or who are you here? With no, So by the same token, I don't want to approach anyone. Well, I'll talk to a guy and we'll chat about where we are, what's going on, how's your game, where your buddy. I'll talk about things that are would be common to the environment, not necessarily go after him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but think about it, Sondra. You have to when you meet someone, you have somebody has to say, hey, how are you nice to meet you? Or you know, oh you're a golfer. Oh you're here watching the golf tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that kind of conversation is great.
Speaker 1: Well that's how you start.
Speaker 2: Okay, But when you say start asking him questions about himself and use his name and that's fine, Well, I don't know, I just maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, here's what I think, Sondra. Tomorrow, when you and I go to the golf.
Speaker 2: Tournament, are you going to give me some point?
Speaker 1: I want you to follow after me. We're gonna we're gonna pick out the guy you're gonna show me, Kathy. I like that guy, and I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna make it happen for you.
Speaker 2: You are, You're gonna tell him.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be a wing woman. I'm gonna be your wing woman.
Speaker 2: Lord of Mercy, I'm in trouble now.
Speaker 1: No, it's gonna it's gonna be great. You're gonna have guys, you know, like a dance card. Your dance card is gonna be full. These guys are all gonna be like, I want her number. I want her number.
Speaker 2: But let me ask you this, Kathy. You say there's going to be a swarm of men, won't there be a lot of women as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think I measure up. Do you measure up?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah? I don't. Then don't trying to measure I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: Who cares? My point is who cares? Right, You're at the top of the heaps, so am I at the top. You're at the top of the You're at the top of the heap. It has been great having you. I'm so glad you're here with us. We are going to have a great time with some of the guys from Jones season, some of us the Golden Bachelorettes. We're gonna have a great time. I'm so glad you hear. This is going to create memories that you are not going to forget. You never know, Sondra. Yeah, you're gonna learn how to flirt.
Speaker 2: You might find you're not going to get to know about that's flirting. Is that flirting?
Speaker 1: Flirting?
Speaker 2: Always thought flirting was throwing your hair, winking, staring. I assumed that that was flirting behavior. So maybe that's the words.
Speaker 1: Do as I say, not as I do. Follow me, Sandra, it's not flipping your hair. I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give you a lessons. We're gonnay the next time we do a podcast, you're going to be telling the world about all the men you met at the Pebble Beach program. Thanks for joining me. I really enjoyed it. Tune in to I Do Part two. Loved having you and see you next time, all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks Kathy,