Speaker 1: What's poppin congregation? Is your girl? Lacey Mosley aka Scam Goddess. Welcome to an episode of Fraud Fridays, where we release older episodes from the Scam Goddess Bault. That's right, Fraud Fridays is where we bring back your favorite episodes from behind the paywall. Enjoy this episode from behind the paywall, and as always, stay scheming scarce.
Speaker 2: God, Rub and run scam, Come, Rub and froll Goddess. Hi, Welcome to Scam Goddess. As you've heard, I'm here with James Mastriani. Yes, Oh my gosh, I've known James for a few years now.
Speaker 3: Like are you, oh, longer than that.
Speaker 1: That's as long as I've been in La, So as long as we could have known each other.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah, wow, I thought for sure. It seems like long ago. I guess I know it really does. Maybe I just know you well enough that it just it seems like we've been friends for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something a scammer would say too. Guys, I've known you since childhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've known each other so long.
Speaker 1: Believe that now what I'm saying about the social Yeah, well, James, you have to tell me, like, what's your relationship with scams? Have you been in any scams?
Speaker 3: Have you You know, I am as an adult, I'm not really I'm not really a scam type of person.
Speaker 1: I damn shade you call right, I'm a child.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying you're an adult with with loose moral uh fiber.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I you know, my my parents have been the victims of scams because my parents are like older, and I feel like a lot of scams target older people for sure, for sure, but you know, honestly, I just don't think that I would be very good at it, like just in general scamming.
Speaker 1: Why not, Like, do you have an experience where you.
Speaker 3: Tried I do, Actually yeah, I had so. But this is like a uh so, this this is a scam I tried to pull when I was in high school. Oh okay, and I was seventeen, and so just a little bit of backstory. Uh So, first of all, I should say, audience, we're just getting color.
Speaker 1: Audience, the congregation, Okay, the congregation.
Speaker 3: Yes, I would just like to say, first of all, we don't know each other, and this story makes me sound not great, Okay, So I would say, give me a little bit of the benefit of the doubts.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're seventeen, I'm seventeen years old with a booming deep voice.
Speaker 3: Exactly, with a booming deep voice. And so a little bit of backstory. My uh so, growing up, my mom was disabled. Ryan, She was in a wheelchair, and so if you know, for a lot of people that are in wheelchairs, you have to have like very specific types of vehicles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and handicap pass So you got to park in the front of.
Speaker 3: Everything everything front front line at every amusement park, which, oh, here's a minor scam we used to do because my mom couldn't go on rides, but we would use her to get to the front of the line at an and then lever and then just like sort of let her sit there. I think.
Speaker 1: Now of your mom happy to sit there while you're on Splash Mountain is hilarious and maybe a little sad, But I think your mom probably was also proud that she loved it help her kids.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, it helped make her, you know, it felt to her like made her feel needed, I guess. But so when my mom's insurance improved approved of a new disabled van, I got my mom's old van, which was a nineteen eighty eight Dodge conversion van with a wheelchair lift out this side right.
Speaker 1: For a kid, this must have been a dream.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it was a dream. And at this point, like, I'm a big stoner, and so I turned it into this big exactly, I turned it into this big smoking van. Like I took the seats out and replaced them with bean bag chairs, put up like beads and black lights and all this stuff. And uh, this this story is also just seeping with white privilege, because there's no like I should have been arrested multiple times for all of this. But so one night, we're in my basement. My parents used to go to bed very early, and I used to have friends over to come and hang in my in my basement and smoking.
Speaker 1: You were that friend who like hosts things and stuff.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, oh man, my parents are asleep at you know, eight eight thirty. Come on over, we'll get higher, we'll chill.
Speaker 1: What kind of sleep is this? They don't hear shit?
Speaker 3: No, No, I.
Speaker 1: Mean like maybe I fucking crack my ass upstairs. Yeah, oh I was a petty sleeper.
Speaker 3: That's really funny. Now, my parents the deep, deep sleepers and Uh, well, we'll get we'll get to that part of the story. So we were all smoking weed, but we decided like and so I'm all high and shit, and we're like, oh man, you know, we're only seventeen. We're like, I want to get some booze right level exactly, let's take this part of the next level. And I was like, how we're trying to come up with an idea, Like, how do we get some booze? Right? We're not twenty one. None of us have fakes right when the scam comes in. This is where the scam comes in. So I'm like, Okay, I think I have an idea. And so my mom had two different wheelchairs. She had a regular wheelchair and then she had a really dope like a like a scooter.
Speaker 1: Wheel yeah, electric one.
Speaker 3: An electric one, yeah, and which she used to keep charged in her bedroom. So I tell my friend, like, pull my van around front and lower the ramp and I'll be right back. And I went upstairs and I went into my parents' bedroom while they were sleeping, and I unplugged her electric wheelchair and I slowly start scooting it, you know, out of the bedroom.
Speaker 1: So you're like doing it with like it's like exactly, like.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, Like I would go back a little bit and then they would start and I would just freeze because I'm also like, if my parents wake up right now and they see me in the middle of their bedroom in the dark, highest shit, sitting in my mom's wheelchair one, if I'm there at them, I'm like, is it like, is he here to kill us? Like? What is what the fuck is going on? Exactly? It's so freaky. And so you know, I'm doing this thing. I'm slowly backing it out and I'm going backwards too, and I'm trying to back my way out in the dark. And so I finally get it out and I grab a blanket because in this mid in the in in my head, this is going to help make it better. So I pull it into into the van. I'm like, all right, here's what we're gonna do. Pull up to the liquor store, right, make sure that the owner sees you lower the wheelchair ramp or the yeah, the wheelchair ramp out the side. I put this play it on my lap because I thought it made me look more disabled, and I was like, there's no way that they're going to ask me for ID if they think that, like, I'm disabled, right, and I'll just go in, I'll grab a couple of bottles and uh, it'll be it'll be great. Right.
Speaker 1: So this youthful teenage boy is now has a blanket over him in an electric wheelchair. I do have to say, James, that you are a scammer because the confidence level of saying I'm gonna go unplug an electric mobile vehic card right then I'm going to back it up in the dark. I'm also high, so I'm a little impaired and all this so that my parents don't realize that I'm doing it, Like, that's an extreme amount of confidence. Yeah, And so now you're also the one who's the most confident enough to roll into this convenience store and play the sympathy card to buy alcohol.
Speaker 3: Yep, Okay, yeah, I guess that's true. Maybe I am a scammer. And so I go in and immediately and I don't know why this makes me laugh, but I guess it's it's just that age of like the kind of alcohol you drink. But I picked up a bottle of Captain Morgan's and a bottle of ninety nine bananas oh, it's like the two that I got for for us faded.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, nine bananas ninety nine berries was really bad. But I used to do the same ship. And so I take, you know, I take the wheelchair up to the counter and I put the and and so I'm like pretending to be like kind of frail and I put put the Oh it gets worse, it gets worse, congregation, it gets worse, And I'm so sorry for this. And so I put the bottles on on the the thing. And by the way, I'm the only person in the liquor store.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, nobody distractions.
Speaker 3: No distractions, which I wish there would have been. I feel like if it would have been busier, it would have been easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if you had some other friends had come in and maybe bought snacks or something. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I go in and I put the bottles down, and the guy's like, hey, I gotta see some id And in my head I was like fuck immediately this is what he asked me. So I'm like, okay, pretend you didn't hear them.
Speaker 1: So are you trying to make yourself daft? Dude?
Speaker 3: Oh it gets worse, it gets worse. So I pretend not to hear them, and I just pushed the bottles further towards him, and I put some cash on the thing, and he goes, hey, man, I'm sorry, but I got to see some id I got to make sure you're over twenty one and so this at this point, I'm like, okay, I have to double down. So I then put on an affectation no that I am mentally disabled. No, j I still remember the exact thing that I said. Oh God, and so cong gation, please stick with me here, and this.
Speaker 1: Is we all we all stray, guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, we all stray. I was seventeen, this.
Speaker 1: Is not twenty fourteen, and nobody was wok he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nobody was woke. Nobody's woke. Believe me. I feel terrible about this. Uh. And I looked at him and I said, please, no, I was so much pain, just like.
Speaker 1: That JAP was all horrible. But I do have to say, the dedications are not just bailing on this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, because I think I would have just reversed.
Speaker 1: That joint and been like we're here atly out of the store.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And so he looks at me for a moment and he goes, I know who you are. He goes, and this is like an old, middle aged white guy, and there was this restaurant next door called Frishes. He's like, I've seen your I've seen your van, I've seen you and your friend smoking weed outside the restaurant all the time. I know you're not in a wheelchair, and i know you're not old enough to be in here, so I'm gonna give you two seconds to get the fuck out of my store otherwise I'm calling the police.
Speaker 1: As fucking exactly.
Speaker 3: The whole fucking time he knew. He was just like, I'm gonna let this dumb fucking kid. I'm gonna let this dumb kid just do this whole bit. I'm maneuvering my way through these narrow ass liquor aisles in this wheelchair. And I immediately fess up and I was like, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have done this. I just my friends and I were just trying to have a good time, and he was like, get the fuck out, and but the funny thing is I was like, yes, absolutely, and I started I started moving the wheelchair and I got it stuck in the door on the way to the exit. Like trying to leave, and I couldn't maneuver it, and I had to get up out of the wheelchair and try to like drag it through this narrow door, all while this dude is staring daggers straight through me, and I just sheepishly like pulled back into, you know, back into the van.
Speaker 1: James, when the jig was up, why didn't you just get out of the wheelchair and push it out of the store.
Speaker 3: Because it's heavy as fuck, Like it's this big motorized wheelchair, Like you can't really push it and you have to like use the handle and then because when it got stuck, I had like use the handle and then like maneuver it through the door because it was like a wide wheelchair.
Speaker 1: Okay, I appreciate this man's petty for letting you do all of this before he told you. He even lets you do another He let you dig yourself into a deep asshole before he finally was like, I know who you are, James. I think that this scam would have worked if you had gone somewhere that wasn't a place that you go all of the time. You can't go to your loco, You hang out in front of this place.
Speaker 3: Jay, Literally, the liquor store was next to the restaurant where like four of my friends worked. Oh and so we would just go get free food there and get high around back, you know, almost every day. So for some.
Speaker 1: Reason, so you insulted that man's intelligence.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I insulted a lot of people's intelligence. I insulted my own intelligence. I insulted my mother, who you know, has to endure the suffering of being disabled, and I exploited that to try to get ninety nine bananas for me and my friends. She also has never heard this story.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you put the chair back. She never noticed.
Speaker 3: She's never noticed I took the chair home. I took it back. I put it right back where it was. Plug that shit back in.
Speaker 1: I think you got enough punishment from the liquor store man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I think I would love to hear his version of that story.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he loves that story because he godd you on. Like he probably saw from a second that you came in and knew exactly what you were doing, saw you pick up the liquor bottles, all you driving around the store.
Speaker 3: He was like, okay, please, I know he knew, Like he probably saw the van and immediately was like, what are these fucking idiots trying to do? And because he probably my van was so recognizable. The outside was completely graffitied, like it was just tagged up. So there's no way you wouldn't know what this van was.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 1: All you needed was some You needed a consultant. You had look, you had confidence, you had co gumption. You just needed somebody to get you with the logistics. Like your friends, none of them were thinking they were all just along for the ride. You one friend Tod be like, okay, but we got to park the van across the street. And also we can't go to.
Speaker 3: The place that we always I know, I know, I.
Speaker 1: Think without those two major factors, you would have gotten your lips around some ninety nine bananas.
Speaker 3: Probably. Yeah, I needed some scam goddess smartness.
Speaker 1: But we knew each other back then, James, I know, I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: That's right. We've known each other that long, scar God.
Speaker 1: So this is our segment what's hot in fraud? Guys. We don't want you to get scammed, at least not by other people. Okay, Now, if I call you and I need you to spin in a cup or give me a lock of your child's hair. You mail that to me, okay, because it's for a good cost. But if anybody else is trying to run game on you, we just can't allow it. So this is a segment where we'll talk a little bit about a fraud, a scam, a hoodwink that's really popular right now. So today we're going to talk about romance fraud. Guys, we've talked about romance fraud before, but the reason that I want to bring this up is because we actually got some legit numbers on romance fraud. James, do you know that romance fraud makes up about one hundred and forty three million dollars domestically in losses?
Speaker 3: What? Okay? So first of all, what is romance fraud?
Speaker 1: So romance fraud, which I already told you guys, love is a scam, stay woke. Look it's one we all participated. It's still a fucking scam. But romance fraud is where people talk on things like bumble Tender, Christian mingle grinder, and they talk to people who are looking for love and commitment as a means to defraud them out of small or large amounts of money.
Speaker 3: Interest.
Speaker 1: Yes, So in twenty eighteen, romance scams were the most expensive type of fraud scam and that's where we got that one hundred and forty three million dollars. And this actually comes from the Federal Trade Commission because you can report. If you, guys get scammed, you can report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Will you get your money back? Probably not, but maybe you're gonna save somebody else, Like come on, guys, that's that's good, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So some of the biggest scams are often military men on tender, which I think is a good one cause it's like men who are saying they're deployed fighting for their country overseas.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's fucked.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, how can you really say who's in the mill terry or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people in the military.
Speaker 3: And like that feels like it could easily appeal to like any sort of like maga type of person on tender, you know, like like an uber patriotic type of if.
Speaker 1: You're scamming mega people shout out to you, ye keep doing that shit.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: I will never discourage it and I will never report you. But I want to read one of the reports is somebody who actually got scammed by this? All okay, So I'm on the Federal Trade Commission website and they actually have consumer information because this is so popular, people getting scammed by online lovers or whatever. So their advice is one, never send money or gifts to a sweetheart you haven't met in person.
Speaker 3: It seems obvious, right, That seems super obvious.
Speaker 1: Take it slowly, ask questions and look for inconsistent answers. Check the person's photo using a search engine like Search by image Google. If the same picture shows up with a different name, that's a red flag.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Talk to someone about this new love entrance and take attention. And friends and family are concerned.
Speaker 3: That seems impractical, right Maybe I don't know. I feel like if well, no, I guess it. Yeah. I'm trying to think of like if I were talking to something like I'm talking to somebody on hinge or whatever.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna tell people that you matched with someone on him?
Speaker 3: How would they know if they're How would somebody else know if they're a scammer?
Speaker 1: I think because what they're saying is like, maybe you don't realize this shit is weird. But if you say it out loud to somebody else, You're like, oh, yeah, I'm talking to this new man. His name is John Doe. He in the military. He said he needed six thousand dollars for his medical bills. I said, let's FaceTime before I send the money. He said, I ain't got no FaceTime out here in Bagdad. And I was like, are we still in bag Dad? He was like, I guess we are. We definitely are, for sure.
Speaker 3: That's really funny. That makes sense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He said they're trying to get garbage to tear down that wall. And I was like, Okay, I'm here in Hanoi, Vietnam, and I've been station here for forty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they never brought all of us back.
Speaker 3: They never brought us back.
Speaker 1: They didn't tell you. But we're still fighting in the vita. So y'all remember Norman Dy you were, Yeah, he's still at Norman Dy So I wired him six thousand dollars. Yeah, so maybe your friend will be like, hey, girl, that war has been over for a long time.
Speaker 3: Let's open up the history books, shall we.
Speaker 1: And then the last one is if you suspect a romance scam, cut off contact right away. Then report the scam to FTC which is FTC dot gov slash complaint and notify the dating site where you met the scammer too. So, guys, if this has happened to you, you don't have to tell us, but also you should tell us email scam Goddess pod because we'd love to hear about it. But yeah, it's it's crazy. So the website went further. They made an instructional safety video for people who are online dating. And it's right behind you, James.
Speaker 3: And your lot shit.
Speaker 4: Looking for love and all the right places like popular dating sites, mobile apps, and social networking sites. Ron seems like a perfect match for you. He's thoughtful and says he can't live without you.
Speaker 1: Ron looks like a serial killer.
Speaker 4: He says he's from the US but works out of the country. He says he wants to visit, but says he can't afford it. He asks you to send him money. Last month it was medical bills for a sick ant need to fix his car. Next month, Ron wants your money, don't send it. The person pretending to be Ron is a scammer. He'll tell you anything to get you to wire cash right away. He'll never run out of excuses. If an online love interest asks you for money, walk away, no matter how compelling the story, reports at FTC dot com slash imposters, it's.
Speaker 3: So funny to me, and maybe that says a lot about uh my own personal relationship to my family. But like a sick aunt is not going to get me to give you money, Like why an aunt too far away? Yeah, it's like thinking about all my aunt like all my aunts like I can't I mean, you know, I don't want them to be sick. But also like so.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't even help your own sick aunt, is what you're saying. They could be like your sister's life.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't have the money first of all to help a sick aunt. Second of all, I haven't talked to aunts in years. Yeah, so because of your own.
Speaker 1: Close or not close personal relationship with aunts, you will be giving no money for somebody.
Speaker 3: Who's like I have a sick aunt. I'd be like, huh yeah, maybe a sick mom. Like why why do you choose an aunt? Why not?
Speaker 1: Because I think aunts, like you said, aren't people that you have to materialize. If it's the mom, it's like you should know where your mom is. But if it's your sick aunt, you can be like, oh, she's like in Albuquerque. I don't have any picture.
Speaker 3: It's just far enough removed to I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: That was a college excuse. I remember like in college, if I couldn't get a paper done in time, you kill off an ant kill you like, I'm so sorry, professor, but my aunt died and so I can't turn in this paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and see if I were your professor, I'd be like lazy. I think I've talked to my aunts once in the last ten years. So you still got to do the paper and it's not good enough.
Speaker 1: Oh listen, I've been killing off the same aunt for so many And when when your mama do the funeral programs? So he's a photoshop on that sunset day. You know, I'd be like sunrise, like birthday in this sunset whenever I need it too.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: But I also what struck me about this video is that one it's a woman who they're warning about these scams, and I'm like, so are they not including men in romance scams? Because is that just like culturally normative for women to like scam men out of money pretending that they love them. Oh interesting, because like it's about a woman, and I'm thinking about it, and I'm like, I know so many women who are out here is just getting shoes and bags and boob jobs and range rovers from dudes, and no one calls that a scam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: You know what, Maybe it's because the woman's not getting anything in return, because everybody knows that dick.
Speaker 3: Is trash, right, Dick is trash. I do think, you know, I wonder if it's you know, maybe it's not the word scam in that situation, but it's more the idea of like some people enter into a more transactional relationship as opposed to a relationship of like mutuality. Right, yeah, you're right, some like rich old dudes or just be like hey, like you said, love can be a scam where it's this thing of like, you know, it's a transactional relationship, I'll pay for your apartment or whatever. Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: And then I think for the most part, the women are actually like materializing, like they're showing up. They're not just like using I guess a fake photo. Like Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Because I was actually gonna say, I think I almost was the victim of this really of a romance scam. Maybe, Like so, I very briefly used Tinder a few years ago, and this instance is what got me off of Tinder. I haven't used it since. I had a woman like match with me on tender and we started talking, and from the beginning I was skeptical because like she was just way too enthusiastic, and like, you know, I'm thirty five, I pretty I know my place in the world. I know I'm not I know I'm not attractive enough to have a woman over the internet be that enthusiastic. Like I'm almost six foot. Maybe if I was six three, maybe that would be a thing where but it's not. I'm not tall enough, I'm not handsome enough. I'm bald. I know, I know my place.
Speaker 1: And she was not gonna agree with any of.
Speaker 3: This, And she was being really enthusiastic, and she was like, what did.
Speaker 1: She do that was like showing you, like over enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: She wanted to meet that night, she wanted to come see my place. She wanted to and I was like, you know, I don't know if I feel comfortable, like I was like, maybe we can meet at a bar for a drink or something like that, and I was like, I'm not really big into like having somebody come straight over to my place anything like that. And then I changed the subject and I was like, so, what do you do for a living? And her response was that's what I want to talk to you about? And I was like, what, we don't huh, what do you mean we don't know each other? What do you want to talk to me about? And then she was just like started talking about her living situation and started talking about her She she was like a preschool teacher and you know, she'd just gotten laid off and like, and I was like, where the fuck is this heading? And I kind of got freaked out and I just deleted the app right there because I didn't ask any more questions. I was like, I don't know what kind like is it possible.
Speaker 1: To come to your house immediately.
Speaker 3: And talk to me about her works?
Speaker 1: Maybe she was homeless and she was like, oh, this is out, Like I'll just get on Dinder and I'll find somebody and I'll go to their house that night, and then i'll but their house and I'll live there.
Speaker 3: Oh, which is a different, oh, different kind of scam. I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It has to work because I'm sure there's some people on tender who are just like I just really need the company. Was you cute?
Speaker 3: I mean, if that was her, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know about that in the beginning.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if it was her. I don't know, like she was cute, but I don't know if Like I'm assuming that that was not her. I didn't do the Google image.
Speaker 1: Image search like FTC told you got to do that.
Speaker 3: I know now I wish I knew then.
Speaker 1: Well, James, that's so that's that's our hot and fraud right now. Guys, if you're on dating apps, any dating apps, it put Christian Mingle on here as a warning, like all the dating apps, oh man, just beware, Like if people are trying to get money from you and you've never met them, yeah, not a good look. Also, if anything is happening with anybody's aunt, never believe that.
Speaker 3: Don't believe them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody's aunt has ever had anything bad happen to them.
Speaker 3: And unless your aunt raised you, then just not good enough. I'm not good enough.
Speaker 1: Too far away from me from the tree, says James b Run. Alright, guys, we're gonna get into the biggest segment, the craziest segment of the show, historic hoodwinks. All Right, So I kind of picked this one with you and mind because James runs a very dope podcast and also it's a live show called I'm Too Effing High, which decent these sigmatize weed. And it also is a very fun show where comedians get high and do comedic challenges. I've done it. It's super fun. It's also very fun to listen to wild high.
Speaker 3: That's great. Got to have you for a live.
Speaker 1: Show, yes, oh my gosh, even though when I'm at a high live show, it's just me like holding onto the chair for a dear life.
Speaker 3: You're so funny, You're so fun you kill it every time.
Speaker 1: Just putting the mic in my bosom and are you talking me? I need to talk now, all right, guys. But so there's a new scam out right now, which is Instagram weed fraud. So people are doing fraudulent Instagram drug deals. Okay, So basically how this works is the one that we're going to talk about in like more detail. Is this guy named Niagio Blum. He's a writer and a comedian and a resident connoisseur on the Netflix show Cooking on High. He's been a recent victim of a fraudulent Instagram drug deal scam. So basically, a friend sent this guy a screenshot of an Instagram program. So basically, this whole this could happen to you, James. Yeah, because this guy's whole business is kind of like surrounded around weed or being a connoisseur, being like, you know, one of the first movers in entertainment in weed, and someone made a fake Instagram profile of him and some one of his friends screenshot it, but it had been up for a minute because the account had twelve images on it that were stolen from Baum's real account, and the bio offered pot for sale with shipping available to any location.
Speaker 3: Wait can you say that again?
Speaker 1: Pot for sale was shipping available to any locations. So it's like, you go on his Instagram, you see photos of the guy and it says we sell weed. We'll send it anywhere in the country. Yeah, it says any location. So I guess that means, like Papa New Guinea means you can get your weed wherever yeah, so BAM obviously had a friend who noticed this, and so he notifies Instagram and he posts screenshot on his own profile and says like, please don't follow this guy and please report this guy, et cetera, et cetera. But this was happening for at least six months because the impostor had multiple direct messages from people who had wired him money for weed that they'd never received no way, so he had been running this, which is weird because it's like, if you know this guy's on TV, why do you think that he had Okay, he had twenty six hundred followers, though, why do you think that this guy wouldn't have more followers than that?
Speaker 3: Way more followers and then all, so yeah, like why would he Well, I guess I could see him getting in the business of, I guess distributing, but that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's so there's one god.
Speaker 3: I could see myself falling for this. This is terrifying.
Speaker 1: This is terrifying.
Speaker 3: The show is terrified.
Speaker 1: So there was one scam victor in particular who contacted this guy after sending an imposter over three thousand dollars for two pounds of weed that never arrived. And this guy was getting an average of three to five messages a week, so he was doing this.
Speaker 3: Okay, So first of all, two grand for two pounds of weed? Is that what you said?
Speaker 1: Three grand?
Speaker 3: Three grand for two pounds of weed is like an amazing deal that already is like yeah, yeah, I mean most of the time a pound of weed is like three to four grand.
Speaker 1: You hear that guy's yeah, just so you know how much a pound of weed gots?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I don't. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I guess people were probably that's why they're like, oh, I'll pay for this deal.
Speaker 3: Of course, to be true, if somebody was like two pounds a week for three grand, yeah, that is an amazing deal. Yeah, especially if it's good shit. Right.
Speaker 1: That's like how anytime you click on a news article, because the online news is fucking struggling, there's always like ads for shit on the side. It's like Louis wa Tom back thirty dollars. That's what almost gets me. I'm like third at all that Louis is not real. Yeah, but yeah, so he pays this much for it and never gets any money. Also, I think wire transfers are just a weird method for paying for shit. I've never had to pay for anything with a wire transfer. I've only received the wire transfer once in my life and it was from my parents when I was in London. So I'm like, I don't think they're real, Like I.
Speaker 3: Would do you do it at a bank?
Speaker 1: I've never done doing it like Western Union, which is like Shanius money place.
Speaker 3: Ever, it almost see like, is this is me being an ignorantcause I don't know. Is Western Union also a payday loan type of Yeah? It is.
Speaker 1: It's just like where you can go do Isn't it? Am I wrong talk about it? I feel like it's just a shady scam organization. The cops should just loiter around Western Union and just randomly like pick people up.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But so Instagram got contacted about this story, and an Instagram spokesperson noted, and an Instagram spokesperson noted claiming to be another person violates the platform of community guidelines, and Instagram says we care deeply about the quality content on Instagram and we take spam and inauthentic and other abusive behavior very seriously. Being verified is a great new way to know if the person is legitimately that person but not everybody can be verified, which is true, right, Like you have to have like full a certain amount of qualifications to be verified. And this guy was on TV and I have fifty seven thousand followers and wasn't verified, So people were taking advantage of that.
Speaker 3: Crazy Why wasn't he verified fifty seven thousand followers?
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't have anything to do with how many followers you have. You have to like I guess, apply or have a PR agency apply for you, or have enough credits and things online that Instagram starts to get curious about if you are really the person.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, got.
Speaker 1: So there's one person on Reddit because there's a whole subreddit about this guy who tells his story of buying weed through Instagram. So some of you out there might be familiar with popular social networking app called Instagram. In the past few months, there have been accounts popping up on Instagram that claim that they will ship weed to you out of places like Washington, California, etc. These profiles may look very convincing with pictures of large amounts of weed uploaded or orders getting shipped out. How it works is this person will leave their phone number or kick Messenger id if you got to get on kick for anything, you already need to know it's not on the up and up on the profile, and you can contact them and ask them to place an order. Prices are usually advertised as fairly low and reasonable. Like you said, that was really cheap for those two pounds of weed. Now, there may be some profiles out there that are actually genuine and will ship you the product. I've had weed shipped to me before, no issue, so I know it's done every day. Most are just playing scammers looking to get your money and leave you with nothing. Here's how my experience went. I kicked a dealer asking for one of his best indicus. He said the price was one eighty ounce and that I only owed him half up front to ship it. He claimed that after the payment was shipped, I would get a tracking number and his phone number to keep contact and track my package. The next morning, I Western unioned him Western Union ninety dollars and two hours later saw that Western Union Tracking had picked up the payment. I texted him asking him for a tracking number. No response. I waited two hours, texted again. Nothing. After that, I started calling him. Then an hour later I realized he had blocked me from his Instagram page, blocked me on kick and somehow blocked my number from contacting his phone. That's like the easiest one to do. Now, I know what you're all thinking, Wow, you're such an idiot to give this guy your money and expect him to sendy weed. Yes, that was a naive mistake on my part. But I've had success and transactions in the past. But guys, please don't do this. You will get screwed over and you will feel like an idiot.
Speaker 3: Oh man, Yeah, absolutely, And that's a good deal too, one for an ounce. That's yeah, that's a really good isn't that?
Speaker 1: Like? I feel like that small potatoes though, to be like, here, send me half of this amount. So you're just getting ninety dollars from everybody you scam, Is that enough? I guess it depends on how many people you scam in a day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if you can if you scam ten.
Speaker 1: People, ten people a week, that's not dollars a week.
Speaker 3: That's nine hundred bucks a week. Yeah, that's yeah. Maybe that's pretty good. And I wonder too, if the strategy is, like, if I scam ninety bucks out of people, they're gonna be looking for me with less urgency, right than if I scam like three thousand, three thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, and then that just becomes your job, I'm sure. Just every day, I gotta set up a new Instagram profile, got to create more hotmail email addresses.
Speaker 3: You're a blue collar scammerl collar.
Speaker 1: I'm a middle class scammer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a middle class scammer. Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They probably survived the longest because I feel like when you start getting into bigger deals, that's when people started getting their eyes on you. And when you scam rich people, they be mad.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, No, one's.
Speaker 1: More mad about getting scammed than someone who has a lot of money for some reason, which makes zero sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have so many more resources to lose.
Speaker 1: And they're still more mad, and they also have more time. I feel like, if I'm a rich person, I have more time to hire someone to look for you and get angry with you.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm into it.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Isn't that insane?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But I mean I don't know, I think buying anything online, although I do have a friend who buys like acid on the dark web and they've never had a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've bought drugs on the dark web as well.
Speaker 1: How do you get to the dark web is like ww dot dark Web. I've never known how you actually get to the dark Web.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to go, I should say, I don't know if this is the dark web or not? Where I go? Is this a legal website where I can purchase different types of drugs? And I use bitcoin to get it? And so I go to a bitcoin ATM machine which is down the street from me, and I get some bitcoin and then I buy, you know, the drugs. And the one time I thought I was getting scammed, and I kept emailing them and being like, hey, where where is the product? Where's my stuff? There's where's the product? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I get caught up. Where's the product? Where the things that I ordered?
Speaker 3: I had been watching the movie Blow all weekend and Johnny Depp and no I and and they never got back to me, and I was like, fuck, I got scammed. And then one day in the mail they were there and I was like, oh, Okay, I guess they just have terrible customer service. But it worked.
Speaker 1: Look, we don't pride ourselves in customer service. Okay, you'll get your things. When you get your things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just relaxed, we're not going to respond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very like, that's interesting to me because like I remember when I was in Brooklyn and is we legal in New York yet?
Speaker 3: No? Right?
Speaker 1: No, So when I was in Brooklyn years ago, it was probab extra even more illegal. But I had a weed delivery, like a courier service that would like come to my house and it was always like some guys or a girl on.
Speaker 3: A bike and a bike.
Speaker 1: I've heard of this, yeah, And like one time it was like during Pride, I think, and it was like so busy and so I like ordered and they couldn't get to me and I was like, what is this. I've been ordering from you guys for years. Yeah, and they're like, you know what, man, We're so sorry. We're gonna give you thirty percent off of your next birthday. And I was like, this is illegal drug company that is running themselves like.
Speaker 3: A good customer service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually customer service. I didn't have to email the dark Web a bunch of times like hey it's me again. You know who?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait, what's.
Speaker 1: Your alias on there? Because I know you don't go by James.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think you have to have.
Speaker 1: An alias or is it just like you you just don't communicate.
Speaker 3: With any Everything is through like it's all through bitcoin, like it's you don't use a name, like it's just my address. There's no like name.
Speaker 1: Is pitcoin even like becoming like a successful formal currency. Is it just a good currency to do like sketchy stuff with.
Speaker 3: I think it's that. I think it's like people are hoping that it becomes a thing, but I just don't think it will. I think it's like right now, I think it's just a way to get shit anonymously because it's untraceable. That's the that's the thing about it is like you can't trace it. So I don't know. Yeah, I know some people got rich real fast from it when it when it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they bought it and then it like exploded and now it's like normal again.
Speaker 3: But that feels like a scam maybe, oh hell yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Online e currency is definitely a scam, Like where did it come from?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And we just all gave you money for it and then you told us how much it was worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. What even even capitalism in general feels like it's just constantly walking the line of scam. Rightly, everybody's just toning that line of like how close can I get to fucking people over?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's why we had to have like antitrust laws and things like that, because otherwise, like people, I mean, we're still Amazon's gonna own all of us pretty soon. And it's fine. I willingly give Facebook all of my information now, I'm like, you have it anyway, here were my retina. Hold on, let me open.
Speaker 3: My eye up, ship, let me open my eye.
Speaker 1: You need me take my contact out? Fuck all right, damn it, Mark Zuckerberg, I just want to send I just want to post about my comedy show tonight.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'll give them whatever they want. Bootyholet now, I have no use for it.
Speaker 3: Let me open my booty hole up.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I need these likes. This week, our scameray goes out to a mystery person. We actually do not know who this person is, but there is a weed grower at the Capitol Building of Vermont who has planted thirty four cannabis plants in counting that have been found growing in the flower beds of the Vermont Capitol.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we actually, oh I had so much media. We have another video. We'll describe it to you guys. So this is a weed plant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's like it really is hidden in a garden.
Speaker 1: And it looks like they're growing very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Weed is hard to grow.
Speaker 1: Right, doesn't it need like a lot of water, a.
Speaker 3: Ton of sunlight, a ton of care. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And these are like on the main street in front of the capitol, so the plants are too immature to test them to see if they're like THHD plans, right. And they also have confirmed that the plants are not in the state's horticultural plant.
Speaker 3: But I don't think an they asked just some random police officer.
Speaker 1: Who had no information. Yeah, he was like, I don't think they meant to plant these. So there's all these weed plants.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I love that. That's like that that's a great scam that hurts nobody, right, Like it's like, let's go plant and you know, if you're for legalization, I guess it's it's kind of like a message. But I like that.
Speaker 1: That's right, oh right, because it's it's at the Capitol building. So this is like being like, hey, guys, you're already there's so much weed out here, just let us grow it. Yeah, and also like it's kind of like it won't bother you. Look at how much weed we have growing right next to you, and it's never bothered and you.
Speaker 3: Have no idea it's even there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. Maybe it is like an artistic statement too. But how is the plant growing so well?
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's a really good question.
Speaker 1: Because they need a lot of water, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They need a ton they like well, I guess it depends on if they're trying to grow it to some sort of like to actually have the flower be good. That's when you have to put in a lot of work. But it is a weed, so it'll just grow. But if you want like good bud with like you know, good THC and high quality, you got to put in so much work.
Speaker 1: Okay, So maybe it's someone who's like planted it and then they're like, we'll just use the capital's water. I'm sure they water those. Those plants looked so healthy, it looked great, it looked refreshed. So I'm sure that they're watering them so so much.
Speaker 3: It's they're they're like the the green I guess the plant version of Banksy.
Speaker 1: It feels like, wait, explain that to me.
Speaker 3: So Banksy is, uh, you know, the anonymous person that that goes around graffeiting all these different sort of like social justice which.
Speaker 1: Ones like that, that obey guy. No I should know who banks is? Such uncultured swine right now?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean he has yeah, he has very very He's British, but he's anonymous. Nobody knows who he is.
Speaker 1: So no one's caught Banksy painting ship. I find that hard to believe.
Speaker 3: Some people think that Banksy is more than one more than one people. More than one person is a group.
Speaker 1: It's an artist band.
Speaker 3: But he also famously, oh he had a great scam what where he tried to uh somebody tried to sell a Banksy original at a at an auction and when it sold and they tried to bring it off the wall, it ripped in shreds and like that was the whole purpose of it. But the funny thing is it actually upped the value of it. Yeah, it was like an original Banksy.
Speaker 1: So it was really an original.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh here we go. Yeah, watch this it's it's pretty interesting and it got.
Speaker 5: Art connoisseurs could only watch in horror as an expensive piece was shredded before their eyes. No sooner did the gavel come down to mark the sale of Banksy's Girl with Balloon for our record one point four million dollars, did the picture start to slip out of its frame into shreds below. The anonymous artist claims to be behind the stunt. On Instagram, he posted a photo of his prank with the caption.
Speaker 1: Going, Going Gone.
Speaker 5: In a later post, he explained how.
Speaker 1: He did it. A few years ago. I secretly built a shredder into a painting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bruh, yeah pretty Uh that.
Speaker 1: Is rude as fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I pay a million dollars or something, Banksy, you can you ask. That's when the scene became a brawl. Like this story would have went completely differently, like no, you need to go go paint it again.
Speaker 3: I would love it if it was Lacy that unveiled Banksy because of this, like nobody knows who Banksy is. Lacey gets sucked over, gets you can't scam the scam goddess. No, she will unveil you.
Speaker 1: I would ruin his whole mistake. I would spend the rest of my days trying to figure out who the fuck he was, where he lived, so I could air his ass out on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Line Yep, that's really funny, Like he's.
Speaker 1: Going live with Banksy right now, that's correct. Crazy, And of course some art buyer was like, oh, this is even better because now chrosthetical.
Speaker 3: Of course, yeah, I'm sure it raised the value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also if you're an art collector, that's already a flex of like I'm about to spend a ridiculous amount of money on Yes, yes, art has value. I make art. It has so much value. I want to be paid a million dollars to come perform somewhere please. But we all know it's a flex to be like I'm spending a million dollars on a piece of paper.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, such a flex.
Speaker 1: So I think it is probably even more of a flex if you're non phased by ripping apart.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you whoever bought that is like, that's such a conversation piece. Everybody that comes over there like, oh this is the Banksy I purchased, he shredded it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you see the millions of views on YouTube? Absolutely the one very angry black woman who beat him down.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: Also, did souther of Bees know this was going to happen?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 1: Were they in on the scam?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. If I remember crooking, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I would have loved if souther Be's was in on the scam, because these feels like a scam organization, Like they have to be involved in like so much crime, I'm sure, but like the sexiest kind of like white collar crime that you want to make movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, money laundering and like all that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's money dry cleaning, you know what I mean, it's a different level.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not actually touching the money with all hands.
Speaker 3: No, we don't touch money.
Speaker 1: I haven't touched money in fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, Like money to them is just electronic, right, It's just that they have enough of it. It just exists, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But art is also a beautiful game of fraud. So I'll take it. I'll take it. But yeah, this guy is planning these weed plans. Shout out to this mysterious weed grower because I will probably never know who you are. I mean, I would first, probably look at the gardeners. But again, like if I was someone who was gardening the Vermont White, I wouldn't waste my seed.
Speaker 3: Weed on that. Yeah. Yeah, it's probably a protester or somebody that's trying to send a message. I feel like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you're right about that, like being artistic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wish that I had a garden that they could toss some weed seeds, and I'd be I'd be very appreciative.
Speaker 1: But I don't know where do you get weed seeds.
Speaker 3: You can get them online. You can get them online. You can you know, some dispensary cell seeds, some dispensary cell clones as well, which is like sort of a little baby plant that they've cloned off of another plant. So you're already starting with something and you sort of like transferred over. Yeah. I've tried to grow up a clone one time. Really it didn't go well.
Speaker 1: It didn't go well. I don't think I could do it either. Like I killed a succubis so and that's really hard to do.
Speaker 3: You killed a succubus orculate occubus. A succubust is like an old timey word for like a woman who is promiscuous and like, uh uh seduces men is like a sec Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, I killed the suck you limb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am a.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, well James, this is so amazing to have you.
Speaker 3: Man, this show is great. I love thank you for having me. This is I feel like, honestly, just being on this show and hearing about all of these things, I'm like, holy shit, scams are fucking everywhere. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, Scamming is a job. It's a profession. It's one of the oldest professions, and it needs more respect.
Speaker 3: It needs Yeah, it really does. Because now I'm thinking of like, oh wait, is government a scam?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, government is one of the biggest scams. I mean, think about taxes. They literally are like, hey, we know you made money, give us some and you better give us the right amount otherwise we're gonna put you in jail. But also, we're not going to tell you how.
Speaker 3: Much you need to give us, and we're not going to tell you what we're going to use it on. We'll pretend like we're going to use it on this.
Speaker 1: We're actually never going to tell you exactly where your tax dollars are going yeah, like so no worry, but hand them over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because and then they start taking a lot of money from you, Like but then I think that they should take more money from the people who have an insane amount of money. We all think this, but like, yeah, but I will say that, Like, as a black person, I was always wondering, like, well, if the police aren't going to keep killing us, could we stop our money stopped?
Speaker 3: Going?
Speaker 1: Like can I get a refund for the police specifically, It's like, here's your money from just the police taxes, because we know that they are harming you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's completely fair.
Speaker 1: They're protecting and serving everyone else but you, So here's your money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I also feel like, you know, we sell, we spend all this tax money for them to create like all of these big weapons of war to sell to other countries, and we don't get any of that money back. You just sold all these airplanes and tanks and shit. I don't get any of that.
Speaker 1: Where is my cut of the ar fifteen.
Speaker 3: Cents I invested to have those war machines made? Where's my investment?
Speaker 1: Any return on that.
Speaker 3: You sold that shit to? You know, Saudi Arabia and I don't get any of it.
Speaker 1: I don't get anything on getting oil. I get a discount on gas. Gas is very expensive, very expensive. I guess sometimes they do discount as on gas, like the price went down.
Speaker 3: Here you go, yeah, opec I'll throw us a little yeah, a little something and keeps us quiet for a month.
Speaker 1: That's like, that's how our gas rises to get lower, its open, keep us keeping us quiet. Oh my goodness. Well, James, where can people find you?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, people can find me. So please check out imto fing High. It's uh, you know, on Instagram and and Twitter at imtofing High. We do a live show at the Upright Citisens Brigade every month. And you know we're a podcast as well. And check out Florida Girls on pop TV and you can. I'm on all platforms Jmas eleven eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and guys, as always, you can find us. That's scam got uspot at gmail dot com. Tell us about how you've been scammed or if you tried to run a scam like James. And also guys, I'm on every platform A DIVA A C, D I V A L A C I and yes, please watch Florida Girls on Pop TV. James was on Florida Girls. I'm on Florida Girls. Very fun show. Yes, all right, guys, we'll see you next week.