Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with Draftking Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. New customers who deposit five dollars or more can get no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars back in bonus bets. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app now and use Cold Shannon. New customers can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if your first bet loses. Only own Draftking Sportsbook with Cold Shannon.
Speaker 3: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill, Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. One no sweat bet per new customer issued as one bonus bet based on amount of initial losing. Bonus BET's expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue once. See DKNG dot com slash promos for deposit wagering and eligibility restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 2: Hello, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of Nightcap. I'm your favorite, OK, Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite Number zero, Agent zero, Wildcat Legend Arizona Wildcat Legend that is, and Wizard Legend Warriors not so much. Mister Abachi man himself, Gilbetarenas, thank you for joining us again. Please make sure you subscribe, make sure you hit that light button. Officially now Nightcap is at one million, one hundred and ten thousand subscribers and thanks to you that made it all possible. And please please make sure you subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed. That's the Nightcap podcast Feed. You can get it through Club Shayshape, but you would greatly appreciate it if you sign up through the subscribe through the Nightcap podcast Feed. Thank you guys again for selling out Shape by Laportier, but we got it back in Start. Now they're filled up, they're filling up the back orders, and so what we thought was gonna take somewhere between three and four weeks to get an order to feel it looked like it's gonna take more like somewhere between seven and ten days to get it filled. So thank you again for making that happen. Also, we would like for you to subscribe to Gill's Arena channel on YouTube. He has a show that there is Monday through Thursday live at eleven thirty eight m Pacific. Please make sure you like and subscribe to Gill's Arena channel on YouTube. Also like and subscribe to its personal YouTube page. That's no Chill Gill. We got to get Gills subs up. We got to get him to a million, so you get one of these gold plaques.
Speaker 3: Gil, I know that.
Speaker 2: I thank you were that till halftime of the game. The Lakers game down by as many as twenty one points. They come back and beat the Clippers one sixteen with the one to fourteen to one twelve, one sixteen to one twelve.
Speaker 3: We got a late dunk by Cam Reddish twenty one points.
Speaker 2: The Lakers scored thirty nine points in the fourth quarter, twenty one from gold James. He single handedly outscored the Clippers by himself. The Clippers scored sixteen in the fourth James scored nineteen in the fourth. Anthony Davis Chip then with twenty points, twelve rebounds, three blocks, uh D'Angelo Russell d low Hill a big three late in the ball game to put them up six, and he finished with eighteen points six assists. We're gonna start with no, Okay, let's go ahead and start with this game, Jill. You saw the game. You were there. The Lakers seemed like they were just going through the motion. They were not rebounding, they were not playing any defense, and all they did was turned them all over in the first half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just seems like, you know, with this group, they still don't have their.
Speaker 3: Their stuff together, and it's it's weird because it's.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, we've been together a few months, all Star Break. We should be like clockwork, and it still seems like they have no idea where each other should be, what each other wants to do, you know. And it's weird because you watch the Clippers and they look like they're in motion. I mean, they had what some points in the first half. Yeah, and it's like that's how we should be right now, and the fact that we're still in this I might be traded phase is.
Speaker 3: It's sad to see, but we got to win, so that's all that matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Man really has been played well since he started being inserting into the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: He gave him big minutes tonight, huge buggets.
Speaker 2: Anthony Davis is doing what Anthony Davis does, challenging everything at the rim, giving you double digit rebounds on a nightly basis. Only had twenty points, but he only had fifteen shot attempts. D Low has been playing unbelievable. Aster Reeves has been allster Reeves, steady, steady, steady. We didn't get great production off the bench, but we got enough.
Speaker 3: Because you needed something.
Speaker 2: Normal Power had fourteen for the Clippers off the bench, Russ had eighteen and Madson Plumbley had eighteen.
Speaker 3: PJ.
Speaker 2: Tucker got some great cardio in tonight. He was a zero cross the board with the exception of two rebounds, so you got thirty points off. You got thirty points off the Clippers bitch and the Lakers had they only got fourteen, but they really needed Cam Ready to play some really solid defense. But the story of the night was Lebron and we've been waiting for him to have one of these virtuosols where we know he can take the game over, because if you followed him at any point in time through his illustrious twenty one year career, you know he still has these in him. And I know they don't come with the regularity that they did early in his career, say the first ten years, a maybe year eleven through sixteen, but he has it any and when they needed it tonight, he got it going in the fourth quarter. Gale, what did you see and how was he able to get it going?
Speaker 1: I don't see shit, huh. I was on the freeways drive in here. I gotta watch the replay. But that's what make greates great, right when when you really need to turn it on and they you really need them to perform at a high level, they can tap.
Speaker 3: Into it no matter how old they are.
Speaker 1: When we needed Dwight Howard in that bubble against Denver, his greatness defensively showed.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You know, when you're talking about towards the end of the season going into the playoffs, the greats still need to be great every single time, specially at this age. He just needs to be great when we needed him to, and tonight it seems like That's what he did while my ass was on the freeway.
Speaker 2: You know, And you're right, Gil, what the greats can do although they can't summons it up with the with the regularity they once could when they were younger. Paul's I know, everybody goes say, what you mean, summons it up? They still can do it. And that's what you have to be careful of. Because we saw Kobe, even though he shot the ball as many times he dead given his final game, he got the sixty That lets you know he still had it in there and he could still reach down into that reserve and pull it out. I don't know if it's been a while since we've seen Lebron James shoot the ball this well, not only from two point range, but from three point range.
Speaker 3: And it was the three point range.
Speaker 2: That that once he saw the first one go in, it's like, all of a sudden, he's like man. And then when you knew something was going on, when he came down on the corner on the side and pulled up in front of the Clippers bench, in front of Norman Power, I said, oh boy, y'all got hell on your hand now, because the one thing you don't want to see a player like him.
Speaker 3: The greats could all do it.
Speaker 2: Kobe, the Jordan's, the Lebrons, the Kd's, the Steph Currge. Those guys see a couple go in and they smell the blood in the water. They can see the blood in the warm warm, and now all of a sudden, it's a frenzy and everything they put up seemingly is finding home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's the NBA model.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's like that in football, but for the most part, once we see a few go down that that that oven's hot.
Speaker 3: Yes, right.
Speaker 1: Hence why when the player is trying to get warm and the whistle blue and he shoots it and someone goes up and blocks it. The reason they because they don't want that player to see the ball going. I don't want to let it go. I don't want you to see it because all you need is the visual boom. Okay, budget, let's let's go. Let's get heated, because you can go zero for ten and that shot after goes in, now you ten for ten. So the player is having a rough time, you want to keep him from scoring any kind of basket, you know.
Speaker 3: So what Lebron seemed to do tonight.
Speaker 1: Is like anybody when you see the balls is finding its way in that rim. Anything you throw up, you know, has the magical way of going in.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to figure out how this drives the ball as much as he does. And he shoots one free throw tonight, and I know it's you're twenty one, and he doesn't drive with the veracity or the ferocity that he once did, but he still puts the.
Speaker 3: Ball on the floor and drives the ball to the basket.
Speaker 2: And the calls that they give James Harden or the calls that they give some of these honest, I mean, and plus lord, don't even look at Joel and b. They gonna call the foul. And you look at Joel and B. He's shooting twenty a night. Lebron shot one free throw tonight.
Speaker 3: One.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have this this this it's it's backwards. It's backwards thinking you don't want to be strong in the NBA. No, heies for it. Yes, Shaques, you know Shaq Lebron even gi honest, even you, right, the guys who can take the hit, they expect you to take to hit. So when he goes to the lane, he's.
Speaker 3: Not allowed to.
Speaker 1: We know you're supposed to finish that, right, he has to be cry baby James to get the foul. So now to over exaggerate hits Jolan b Now now he has to.
Speaker 3: Flop to sell.
Speaker 1: The hit because if he goes in there and he runs through somebody and he gets hit and he dunks it, they're not calling that right.
Speaker 3: So he has to scill and do all of that.
Speaker 1: Hes going you flop and look at him flopping then. But that's the way the game is. Right if I go to the lane, If I go to the lane and I get touch foul, here we go. You know that's why these younger, smaller guards, skinnier guards getting more foul than the stronger guys who drive all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the thing is, but I'm not sure that's what That's what doctor Nasmith intended that if you're big and you're strong, reff you don't call the foul. I mean, a file is a foul, whether you shack size seven one three, twenty five, three forty or your dar in Fox and the thing was, but tonight they really he did really didn't need to drive the ball because he saw the ball go in, and he's seven to twelve from the three point line. He's thirteen to twenty one. I mean he shooting. I think he's shooting like forty from the three. No, no, he's you're twenty one. But he's he's never been a bad three point shooter. That is just about his first year. She was shooting about thirty five from the.
Speaker 1: Three point right, fine, right, just like like like Zoe right, Lonzo ball. Yes, Love was a bad on the dribble shooter, very great spot up shooter.
Speaker 3: Look at the totality of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, he can't shoot, No, no, no, he can shoot if he's wide open like you have.
Speaker 3: Him, mess Scott, he can. He can wind it up.
Speaker 1: Very great shooter when he's dribbling and doing a little step back extra.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not his game. That's not He's not Dame, he's not Steph Curry. He's not gonna be able to gather like that and let it go and make it with consistency. He might hit one or two, but he's not a hit perk man. Ain't nobody trying to hear that? Shall Shop just getting ready to pay your bet? Not no, no, no, no, no no, I'm gonna need that you wanted to bet? Oh Perk, Shane, Hey, hey, Shane, you got my money. That's what I leave you know, you and stephen A and Perk, y'all had so much to say.
Speaker 1: Oh the Clipper's gonna blow the doze off them?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, man, what's wrong with them?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh Perk? I don't know what the app of the Perk? He doesn't he do? I mean, he stay down in Boutmon all the time now and.
Speaker 2: He's dragging our water down on Nasha water down in Beaumont and Galvesta, and he just forgot, He just done forgot about Go James.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, we only had one interaction, but it's not gonna last go much longer. Janay if you keep talking crazy about Go James and Stephen Ayre, I told you he when you ball then Boston they got that deer down hate for Lebron jam You can't shake that. I mean, coup ho apart. I mean, I know he gave it to you when you was in Boston. He gave it till you went to an ok See, he gave it to you again. I mean, well, have you gotta let that's been like a decade ago. They go even the half fields and the McCory that has made the millions. They ain't fighting no more. But that was that was as good. That's Lebron. That is Lebron James, and that's what makes him great is to be able to summons it up in the fourth quarter when they when you And that's the thing Gil with a team or a player, it doesn't matter if you had fifty, can you give me ten?
Speaker 3: Can you give me.
Speaker 2: Twelve in the fourth when you absolutely have to have it. And I'm glad they were able to finish this off because you know what they're gonna say, yeah he did that. They were down, but nah, they came all the way back and we saw big buckets. We saw Anthony Davis chip in, we see a rut chip in, we see d Lo chip in, We.
Speaker 1: See guys making plays. But Lebron, I mean I did not see this.
Speaker 2: I was like, bro, I need you to be a more aggressive because he shot a high percentage.
Speaker 3: He just didn't have a whole bunch of shots. Yeah, Like.
Speaker 1: I still got that memory of that first half, and trust me, uh, I.
Speaker 3: Was ready to leave.
Speaker 1: I was ready to leave that halftimem ain't even gonna lie to you. Yeah, this is when I came to see Now I got here all these Clipper fans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, but they ain't got an old Clipper. Darryn.
Speaker 2: No, you ain't celebrating Marcella's Wiley. You ain't got nothing to celebrate. I don't want to hear nothing about Paul George because y'all know every year, at some point in time he might miss the entire playoffs.
Speaker 3: So will kawhit.
Speaker 2: So this notion about, oh if we'd have had them go back and hick the history since they've been there? How many times the meaningful games have you had them or both of them? You know what's happening. You know what it is?
Speaker 1: Gold Change twenty one years. I think you're gonna play I You know, look they talking about he wants a three year deal, whatever, what he is, whatever he's asking for, You can't pay him enough.
Speaker 2: Because who else you're gonna replace? Who you gonna put in that jersey? I'm obviously not. Who wants to wear twenty three after he's warned and they've retired six around the league? Who wants to wear twenty three after he'd award even if you could wear thirty two, or you could wear thirty four, or you could wear eight or twenty four, a thirty three, why would you want to.
Speaker 3: Why would you want to wear thirteen a Chamberla's number? What now you can hey, listen, listen.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm just gone from from my little birdies, my little birdie's you know that's flying out there. They not too happy that he want to come back two more years, of course, you know that's it's a lot of money, and oh yes, what is gonna be?
Speaker 3: What three years?
Speaker 2: Like one eighty one, fifty one eighty because he's making.
Speaker 1: If he's making next year, Uh, he has a player option at about fifty one and a half fifty one nine fifty two million.
Speaker 3: So if he opts out, obviously he's looking to get a raise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you do a two year deal plus a player option, well at sixty five sixty six million, at forty two thirty nine, at forty one forty two years of may you know damn well he picking that up?
Speaker 3: Where else you gonna go?
Speaker 1: Make sixty two sixty five million dollars yelling excuse me? And forty two years a man and forty two years of age, and right now, you know his greatness basically has Lakers handicap, and yeah, I'm right now.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those things is you're in the bind.
Speaker 1: You can't trade them, you look dumb, right, All hell breaks loose if you trade them. And so it's one of those things you were just rather than hen retire and just let him come off the books, let him finish his way.
Speaker 3: The longer he stays there, he fifty million, and you just be like, come old.
Speaker 2: It would be it would be a lot easier if he was given you Vince Carter, or if you've given you Dirk Nubisky numbers in this year. But he's outscored every other player combined that's played in their twenty first season. And he's still and he's still giving you. At no point in time did any of the greats playing in year twenty one. They're one on a handful. I mean, obviously during the Hall of Fame, Robert Patson in the Hall of Fame, Dirk's in the Hall of Fame. I'm trying to think of who else played. I think Kevin Willis twenty one years Kevin's not in the Hall. Vic Carlon has the potential to be in the hall. But at no point in time could they give you this what he gave you to night, At no point in time where they he's averaging twenty five, seven and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's hard guilt. Yeah, it's gonna be hard. But you know what he's doing now, that's where the future is going. He's given the blueprint to last this long. Right. I don't know if you know this, but I remember.
Speaker 1: When it came in and Kenyan Martin reminded me today, back around two thousand and seven, do you know we had outside companies coming in, you know, testing our energy levels? Yeah right, I don't know if you guys did that in the NFL, testing our energy levels to see how much production we're pushing out and how fast were recovering?
Speaker 3: Right, right, And.
Speaker 1: This goes through the load management. I don't think the media knows that. For a long time. Uh, players wore chips, you know, how you worked a little things.
Speaker 3: They left, Yes, they did that. They have it in their hell, they have it in their shoulder fans. Now, Okay, so they determined how long players.
Speaker 1: Are going to practice do to what the output is pushing out, right, So once you hit a threshold of what they expect from your body, you're done.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So let's say somebody like Westbrook and Giannis, they're looking at Okay, his body tippers are going to hit a lot higher than someone else's because the way they moved. Yeah, players are getting load management in practice.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So back then, there was a time I know this like right after because when I got to Orlando, it was the first time that I was getting blood tested. Right, they can tell me exactly what I'm supposed to eat.
Speaker 6: Yes, you're a lot of sugar, a little bit of fish, a little bit yeah, And a few months we got blood tested regulated, so we know what we're.
Speaker 1: Supposed to actually put in our body. So talk about the low management and lasting. It's all the machine now, right, So it has nothing to do with the players. Like even in practice, players twenty minutes and the practice like yeah, you gotta get off the court. Yeah, yeah, you're done, And he's like, well no, no, no, no, Now when you're trying to think about it, when you're trying to break a starring lineup or get some minutes, you do it in practice and they're like no, no, no, No, your twenty minutes is upsit down right. So seeing Lebron today, we will see the future playing twenty something years at this high level.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's what I mean. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, considered, a lot of the physicality that used to be in the NBA is no longer there.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like the NFL.
Speaker 2: You're going to see players play a lot longer, especially the quarterback position.
Speaker 3: You're going to see these quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not saying they're gonna be Tom Brady, but you're gonna see a lot more guys get into their upper teams because of the physicality, the punishment that you used to put on the quarterback, landing on top of them, driving him into the ground, hitting them, spearing them with the helmet, even the hitting after they released the ball they take they've taken that out of the ball game. And even some of the other players, the defensers, receiver, you can't punish. The intimidation factor is that they've tried to penalize it out, find it out of the ballgame. But for Lebron James to be playing at this level and it's not like you know, like Kareem Kareem with Mosey on down. He's a big you know, he get down. Hey, he get to rebound passing the magic either they got the break or they put out. Okay, well we gotta wait the cap come on down, all right, Cap? What block you going on? Okay? Hey, you go to Hey, you go one side of the other. You throw it to the hand. He turned around, throw the sky hook. Lebron James is playing thirty seven played thirty seven minutes tonight, and he's pushing. He's getting up and down. He's still chasing down. He's still playing at a high level. Now, obviously the back to back, he's not going to play the front end of a back to back or the back end of a back to back.
Speaker 3: If we understand that, nobody should.
Speaker 2: Expect Lebron James to play in year twenty one to play a back to back.
Speaker 1: No. I mean, listen, we talked about the nineties, right, they had a lifestyle right.
Speaker 3: Back then.
Speaker 1: If if you they were little partiers, little drinkers, right, you know, Dennis, Right, we're gonna pall far. There's no more those type of guys in the NBA. Now, Yeah, in the early two thousand, same thing big change, this and this right they.
Speaker 3: Hain't got all the time.
Speaker 1: These guys now get to look at where everyone fel and say, are okay, he started his diet at thirty eight or thirty seven or thirty four. I'm gonna start it at twenty five. Correct, I'm gonna start at twenty five. I'm gonna start going to bed here, I'm gonna start. So the guys now looked at where everyone fell and said, okay, you took yoga here, kareem. Okay, I'm gonna start taking yoga too. I'm gonna start taking the plates too. So these guys are keeping their bodies a little bit longer because they're paying attention to greatness and what made greatness great.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, gil guys are looking now, theoretically, Jason Tatum can theoretically make a billion dollars in his career. Yeah, guys, it's not gonna be it's not gonna be absurd to believe that a guy that's like a Jason Tatum or Luca or ant Man that in fifteen years can have made a billion dollar in pay. But Jayson Tatum's gonna get a contract, damn there four hundred million yeah, and he's going twenty five, twenty six years of eighty so that so now he goes against another one at thirty thirty one, another four hundred million. So now in twenty fifteen years he's made eight hundred nine hundred million dollars. So guys are looking like, hold on, I understand. Yeah, I got business ventures that that's gonna set me up.
Speaker 3: But I can still play.
Speaker 2: I can play this game that I love, take care of my body and still grow this portfolio, make a billion dollars, do another three four hundred million off the court. I think guys are looking and like you said, they see a wise man love learn from other's mistakes. A fool will learn from his own. The wise man, like you said, are looking man Lebron James had Mike Mosilla said, at year one or two he was having a personal chef at this, this and this, and he had this and Okay, so that's what it's gonna take. Maybe I know everybody is not gonna get a billion dollar shoe deal. Everybody's not gonna have a a signature pe a shooting, but three four five hundred million dollar contracts. Look at yo, what's y're gonna get in the next two two years, he's gonna get five on a million. Yeah, you see, like the guy likes somebody like yogis about five years, he'd be with thirty four.
Speaker 3: So he's not that guy. Well he's not. You're telling about the ant man. The ant man's because yeah, those are the guys like that's gonna be touching the billions. The billions, Yes, because you.
Speaker 1: Know they got they got the the style of play. Yes, they have the game, the marketing right, and they're they're they're here at the right time. Yes, because Lebron just thinking Lebron had it, came in into year two team in twenty ten and he played twenty one years.
Speaker 2: He's gonna make two billions. He's gonna make two be because look at the numbers. So his max his first MAX contract. You know, I remember when Mike Conley got a contract. It like he was like one hundred and thirty million, Like, oh my gosh, Now you get one hundred and thirty million dollar contract.
Speaker 1: That's in two years. It ain't a five year deal. Li'sten two year deal.
Speaker 3: My first My first deal was.
Speaker 1: Six year, sixty four million right as a second second round player when I sign my deal Kobe Bryant and the max players was seventy nine million. They were seven years, seventy nine million, six year. So I was like, by the time I came in just be averaging eighteen, I was only fifteen million dollars less than a max player. Wow, right, that money creep up fast and he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's uh So in the fourth quarter, Lebron James had nineteen points on five made three. The Clippers had sixteen points on one May three. Great game for the Lakers. They needed that. That's the last time the Clippers will play the Lakers as the home team in the building. Next year obviously they moved to their new building. It's gonna be interesting to see. Huh did you say what you said the Clippers as a home team.
Speaker 3: Brother, They wasn't a home team. That was a Laker crownd they listen, I don't know. Listen. Listen.
Speaker 1: The reason Clippers never have a home game against the Lakers because they are the.
Speaker 3: Clippers in the LA.
Speaker 1: So all the Lakers show up to get them front rows for them cheap seats.
Speaker 3: Go into a Laker game, cost your arm, and.
Speaker 1: Hey, listen, I got a I got a suite for eight thousand dollars whenever that same suite costs me about twenty five. Oh yeah, oh yeah, I might even I might even get court side tickets to the Clippers game. That a this Lakers, this Lakers bad you talk about you talk about probably about three quarters to a million dollars for every day.
Speaker 3: Uh. But it was a good game. Congrats to the Lakers. Big win.
Speaker 2: They needed that. Now they got some games at home over there. I think their home the next the at least the next week, but they they needed this win. Now it's time for our first segment of the night. It's called news Cap. Let's take a listen. Scotty Pipping now back in on MJ as to go. Let's take a listen to what Scotty had to say about MJ.
Speaker 3: On this on their Hardest Grant Loop Longley Tour. Was Michael the best of the greatest even h for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean you look at the m vps that he was able to achieve, But I think it was all brought from us being successful as a team. Obviously something one is gonna brings accolades home. But yeah, he was the greatest player, definitely in Byti.
Speaker 2: Okay when did when did At first it was Michael, then it was Lebron and then he said all these things in his memoir about Michael, And now he's back. Now he's back, on on on what's okay?
Speaker 3: What's he selling? What he got out there? But he got?
Speaker 2: Does he got a wine? Does he got a book? Does he got a newspaper? Is he selling cars? What's he selling?
Speaker 1: He has a last name called Pippin, right, pippin them Pippins is tripping right now. They chasing that Jordan blood. He got his wife out there leaving and coming back. She doesn't, she doesn't realize. Goddamnit. I need the Jordan brand now now, the real pipping.
Speaker 3: No bulls to her realize, No, no, no, no, no, you need bull His ass is back, mister Jordan. I just think that just with the pipping, you just gotta follow Michael Jordan at this point. God, dang, I'm just trying.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to I'm just trying to figure out if you feel a way, you feel a way. There's nothing I feel a certain way about a certain player, no matter what that what happens between me and said player, that doesn't change it. Because you and I might have had a fallen out, that doesn't change what you've done. That doesn't change how I feel about you. I might not like your ass personally, but what you did on the field, what you did on the court, what you did on the baseball.
Speaker 1: Diamond or the field, that doesn't change. So I'm just trying to figure out, well, what I mean fall the flip. I've seen fish. I had fish caught on the bank that did less flopping than this.
Speaker 3: They listen, they listen. That's the problem with being number two.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares about number two and three and four. I'm sorry, right, we didn't come. Hey, we didn't come to see u o this. Everybody came there to see Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I'm trying to figure out who in the hell else could have played. I don't give it them, but i mean, if you really think about it, who else.
Speaker 3: Could you put beside Jordan?
Speaker 2: If you take whomever else did you have on my rushmore, if you put them beside Jordan, especially especially now, it might cause see, let's just say, for the sake of argument, gil Michael Jordan's Michael Jordan. But he ain't got no shoe, so he got he got regular shoes and he ain't got no air in the shoe.
Speaker 3: And he can't fly, but he's still Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: It's just one of those things where I think they thought that they were gonna get off and reality kicked in, because if you listen to why they were mad, it was some dumb reasons.
Speaker 3: Horace Grin. Oh, they didn't. They didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't tell me that. They didn't say that I talked back to Michael Jordan. I wanted the world know that I talked back to Michael Jordan. So you think they was gonna spend fifteen minutes on a doc for you to talk back to Michaels. We don't care about you talking back to Michael Jordan's sorry something?
Speaker 3: What's wrong with you? Ay? You average? I don't know what you average.
Speaker 1: But obviously we didn't care because they done traded your ass and bring in somebody else and they still won three championships. This is funny, See, like, who do they think they The problem with the toy is besides pipping the rest of y'all, no one cared.
Speaker 3: Okay, you and your goggles can get the hell on.
Speaker 2: I think the thing with Luke is that he would saying, like Jordan said, you know, he gave Luke a compliment against Utah. I think he had like fourteen points in the first quarter. He said, Luke, you play it unbelievable. They end up losing the game by thirty and Luke had fourteen in the first quarter and he finished the game with fourteen and he said, that's the last time I'm giving you a compliment. The only problem that I had, the only problem that I had.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jordan said what he said, he did, what he did. We knew.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm old enough to remember Jordan, So I didn't really obviously behind the scene was great, but when he brought Scotty Pippen into it, because he wasn't there, when Scotty wouldn't go back into the ball game. So I don't know how that's a part of his story. It's like, it's like me and you. It's like me and you. It's like me and you, Gil and you do something like the incident that happened, and it happens before Shannon gets there. But I do my story and I include you in it. Like, man, you wasn't even then. Why the hell you talk about what help and what happened and you weren't even there. Now, obviously he had great insight. I'm sure you know he was still talking the field.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He didn't have no great relationship, so I know he ain't get no information from Jay Krause, but he still had guys on the team, and I'm sure that was friendly with Mike, of course, But so yeah, he could.
Speaker 1: Have left it out. I heard pipping and Pippin's argument is valid, but it's not reality, right. I don't know why you're drawing up a play for this guy. I'm Scottie Pippen, I'm missing, I'm in the m v P.
Speaker 3: Kennedy.
Speaker 1: That's all great, but are you a finisher? Do you hit game winners? Do you take big shots?
Speaker 3: Some of you? Some guys just are not that guy? Right? If Westbrook has the.
Speaker 1: Private saying, well, I'm Russell Westbrook, I'm averaging a triple double.
Speaker 3: I need to take the last shot. You don't.
Speaker 1: No, you don't don't not right, Ben, No, you do not right?
Speaker 3: Be honest.
Speaker 2: Come on, God damn it, I got dame.
Speaker 3: Take that last shot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So what he's saying is valid because of the name, But kno valid because of your skill. Right, he drew this is the coach, y'all got championships. He drew the player for the guy who had the best chance of making it. And sorry you and the fact that this is a three time MVB NBA champ and you refuse to come on, come in the game.
Speaker 3: Don't letting me know that, right because guys narratives. Yeah, you see a lot of people perception of him though. You can't do that. You can't do that. You can't refuse Gil. You can't refuse to go.
Speaker 1: Into the game. Okay, they draw the play up. The player ain't coming to me. I ain't running no route, I ain't going that. What Now you see why I have ah Now you see why I have a problem with the eighties in the nineties, because the narrative about the guys today Primadonna's and this, and I'm like, wait, hold on, do you guys know who you were when you got playing?
Speaker 3: The problem is Gil because social media. Then if a player did that today and said, oh y'all do y'all.
Speaker 1: Do If y'all have said I'm not going in the game, if y'all giving.
Speaker 3: The ball of day, there would be a fucking uproar. Yes, but you did the same thing.
Speaker 1: So I'm the type of guy like, hold on, I'm going to raise my and and say I'm gonna call you did it too.
Speaker 3: Sir Gil.
Speaker 2: A lot of what the players are, the players and the old are resentful of is the power and the money that today's players have. And even Michael Jordan did not have the power of Steph Curry, of Lebron James because he tried. There's when Lebron James was in his prime, when he was at Cleveland. If they can make it, if they was willing to somebody was willing to trade. There's not a player that Jared Crofts like, nah, you don't tell us who the draft. We're gonna get who we want and we don't want no more of them. Sorry, North thro a lot of players and know he can't. I mean, so the players then they're rej they're they're resentful because the players can move freely. M m Michael Jordan, that couldn't go nowhere. You're like, you have to play for me, you don't play at all. It's really that simple.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing. We have the power because of you guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, you little power that you guys had because the generation before you, the generation before you, it's a it's a trickle effect, right. If you listen for the older guys, when Michael Jordan made that thirty million a year, what you think.
Speaker 3: They were saying, Yeah, are you making seats?
Speaker 1: Like every generation hates the next week this generation right now making fifty million and then they gotta start making seventy five with one hundred. They're like, man, it's that's that's light, man. Everyone moves the needle and do their part right. And the fact that when you guys throw shots at them, you have somebody who's research too that says, hold on, I'm gonna throw shots back, right, I'm gonna throw shots back. You're calling us Prima Donna's. Hey, there's a there's a group called, uh Detroit Pistons. Yeah, he said, y'all was Prima Donna's too, and y'all had the rule because they was bullying y'all. Y'all all won championships, not with your team. You won championships with our team. You bought all our players, but you let you let Isaiah Thomas song. He gonna say, Well, if you look at the Bulls team when they won. Now, look, don't that look like the Detroit Listens freaking roughed up by our own teammates, You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So there's history.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just got to enjoy the game, no matter how it looks. It's not gonna look the way it looked when you played it. It's okay to gil, It's okay. It's called evolution.
Speaker 2: Athletes get bigger, stronger, faster, to get more skilled.
Speaker 3: The game changed, and it's.
Speaker 2: Okay it is you would have twenty five years twenty years ago, Mark Eaton couldn't be rested soul Victor wimbin Yama.
Speaker 3: That was not a guy like Jannis. But it's called evolution.
Speaker 2: And guys are guys grow up now and they got A and U and they got coaches. I mean, your son probably had a coach where you were an NBA player. You know, you was coaching your son an NBA player at five, six, seven years old.
Speaker 3: They didn't have that. Their dads wasn't in the NBA.
Speaker 1: They and they didn't making the money that was gonna pay for a personal coach. Now guys can do that on their own if they don't have time to coach and train them themselves.
Speaker 2: So guys are better. The sooner you do things, the better you're gonna get at it. So I'm not saying everybody, Look, there are more guys. If you think about it, think about how many guys can shoot the equivalent of Larry Bird from the three and Larry Bird was thought of as a great three point shooter. Think about how many guys got a better percentage. You'd be surprised of how many guys got a better percentage. And he won three three point competitions to shoot the three ball better than he is.
Speaker 3: He did, So it is.
Speaker 2: It is okay, don't I don't get up saying I take it for what it is. Hey, Kelsey em and all these guys. Hey give him the credit. Hey E did goat Grom and Gates and all these guys. Hey, I did what I did. I love the era which I played in, But I'm willing to give guys credit. I ain't taking nothing from him, like even with my son, right and with Steph Curry. Steph Curry is the best.
Speaker 1: Shooter because his dad was a shooter, and his dad what his dad learned by the time he retired, he instilled it into his son.
Speaker 3: Right, So same thing with me. Everything I learned, all the tricks I.
Speaker 1: Learned and did, and the training I did, I get to start my son at twelve with the same mentality.
Speaker 3: So now my son has Jason Tatum moves in high school.
Speaker 1: So by the time he gets to the pros, if he gets there, his bag and package would be totally different than mine.
Speaker 3: Yes, point of evolution. And that's what people don't understand.
Speaker 1: The guards of then the Isaiah Tom you have nothing, no offense.
Speaker 3: At six ' to one, you fast and quick and sert at six ' four.
Speaker 1: I'm faster, I'm stronger, I'm more explosive, I'm more dangerous offensively.
Speaker 3: Right, you were very great in your time. Can't take nothing away from you.
Speaker 1: But what I got to do is I had I got to learn what you did at my sauce at this That's just how it is. Yes, people don't understand that. With the Kobe's, the Jason Tatums, I get. They get to look at the package.
Speaker 3: Yes, and steal everything, steal it, boom and add on to it. It's just that's the game. Or they call it. In music, they call it sampling.
Speaker 5: And that.
Speaker 2: But but Gil and then what I tell guys, I say, guys like when I was in the league, there were only a handful of guys myself and Coats uh Nova check Brent Jones. They were only a handful of guys that could legitimately really when you got down to it was just me and me and coach in the in the mid nineties that could go get you a thousand double digit touchdowns. Now there are more guys that can do with only a handful of could do.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: When Isaiah was handling the ball like he could, they two or three guys on the team that can handle the ball like Isaiahka and Rod Strickland.
Speaker 1: With that package, you got several guys they got a package like that. Now I'm not saying that, but look at Kyrie.
Speaker 2: We didn't think we'd ever see a guy like a Rod Strickland, or a guy like Isaiah or a guy like.
Speaker 3: Jason Williams and Kyrie. What Kyrie could do with the ball is and one.
Speaker 2: Harlem globe trottigh and he can finish with either hand at the rim and even three level score at the paint at the rim, either hand mid rays three. Finally he go to the free throw lines gonna make somewhere between eighty seven and ninety percent of his shots. But there are a lot of guys that can do what only a hand full could do back then. And I don't know why they don't want to give them credit. It's called evolution. Your kids probably are smarter and can do things easier than what you could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I know my kids.
Speaker 2: Look, they might not have the depth, but I'm talking about this like general knowledge. Main't them kids the work, the school work that they were doing. Man, they doing stuff in the third and fourth grade, the hell I was doing in the high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had that.
Speaker 2: I could do that hall working like that. I got some hallwork. I said, Okay, I call you a tutor. I can't help you. You're gonna fail the class now.
Speaker 1: But just like in football, at some point, as a quarterback, there's gonna be a door a switch thrower. There's gonna be a guy, and then once the one comes in, everyone after him will be taught to throw with their right end their left just as accurate. That's coming. That's the evolution, you know what I mean. And I don't think people factor in any of that. Like I remember when I came in two. I came in two thousand and one, and I remember my first time against John Stockton and Gary Payton, right, I frightened because the ideal of what I used to watch, Gary Payton getting that glove, get that little smirky boom. What happened was after I got that first hit, Nah, theyin't not like that, right, the things that they're trying.
Speaker 3: To do that doesn't work against me.
Speaker 1: So first time I said, all right, hey, Antoine, hey, dip out, I'm about to see how fast he really is, right.
Speaker 3: And took off on them. Meet me at the rim, like, oh my god, he can't even stay in front of me.
Speaker 1: Now you look at year two, Gary Payton, John Stockton, it's boom, boom boom. Then from there, all these defensive rules that they were in their non existent and is outdated. Right, it's an outdated system. It was like people don't realize. People think AI changed the point guard position. AI was a shooting guard. I was the point guard that changed it. I was the aggressor in it.
Speaker 3: I was there. It was me.
Speaker 1: I was the top scorer at twenty eight twenty nine. Number two was James Mike James. Number three is Mike Bibby. Right, those think about the names I'm saying, right, Mike James, Mike Bibby. At eighteen and nineteen and seventeen, those were the It was still those type of guards. You know, Jason Kidd, you know Tony Parker. It wasn't guys that are trying to score thirty on you, right, these guys are trying to run offense.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to embarrass you.
Speaker 1: So how are you going to play defense against me when you got to run your team and then you got to play defense against.
Speaker 3: A dude who's trying to score like a Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 2: Right now, every guard is that, Yes, all these guys are two's masquerading its points. Darrin Fox ain't no point. James Harden is a two. Russ was a too, all is Steph Curry is a two. These guys Draymond Russ offense and go to State. Yeah, Steph is the two. Those guys A two was masquerading. Give those guys credit. But when you when you when you look at what they've been able to do, uh evolution. I just wish and and and I would just wish the old guard would give the new guard credit because they make it seem like they bombs and they're not, and they're not.
Speaker 3: They gonna say what they want. I know one thing they can do. Guard them. You can't guard them.
Speaker 1: The reason you can't guard them is because y'all didn't play like that.
Speaker 3: For you to even know these movements. You never played backbelling in the whole game.
Speaker 1: You never played with a guy like James Harden sitting there trying to be No, this ain't that.
Speaker 3: Bring it back down. Let the big man get the cross screen, pass it down to her.
Speaker 1: You didn't no, no, no, John Stocked him. I'm gonna walk you all the way down to the free throw line and then set the pick right here. If I walk you down to the free throw line, you can post up.
Speaker 3: Little man.
Speaker 1: This ain't no like job. You can't even post Steve Nash. Let's get to the block now. Now the matrix got a gardment because I keep posting up this little guard. Come on, John, bring old. Let's go work this by all right? Switch off? Come on, Matt harpering Now you gotta put that harpering on me because John Stock too little. Now I'm going one on one with you because you are two guard, not fast enough to be a point guard right right now, me trying to guard someone like James Harden when he has to be stopped by the twos and the threes.
Speaker 2: Now you have a real point guard trying to guard right and and he's hard in the six, four sixty five. And but here's the thing. These guys now got handles, all of them. I mean, look at hard they'll be do do. And then once he developed that step back, that side step three, which everybody seems to have added to their bag.
Speaker 3: They gotten that tool out of his toolbox and added it to theirs. How do you stop it? Because you know he could get by you. Still he's slythery.
Speaker 2: He's not as slithery as he once was, he's not as explosive as he once was, but he's still explosive enough to get by you. And then when you black up off him, guess what he just these steps back is shoes to three. And now you're just said his mercy just hopes he miss it because you're getting wide open looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's arguing. It's arguing with people's vision of when they first seen basketball for the first time. Right, It's just like anything like when you've seen it for the first time, that's all you know what it looks like.
Speaker 3: That was the purest form for you as an individual.
Speaker 1: Ever since then it is considered a water down version of what was introduced to you. That's life how it was introduced to you. Back in the eighties, eighty three, eighty forty five, the.
Speaker 3: Way the game was played was the purest for you.
Speaker 1: Right, so everything after that considered its water down, right that it says water down. It is not like that, like the eighties is not the toughest. They are considered weak compared to the seventies.
Speaker 3: In the sixties, right.
Speaker 1: Where you get to get clothes line and I can you know, punching your face and then it's just a.
Speaker 3: That was that era. They had to clean it up for TV, right, so yes, he got involved. It was cleaned.
Speaker 1: That was clean, and then the nineties a little bit clean of two thousand clean and now you have an entertaining game.
Speaker 3: This game now is.
Speaker 1: Entertainment. It's not basketball, right, this is entertainment. I'm gonna put butts in the seats. I'm I'm in the business of selling a show. So you can say, oh, they don't play no DEFs old, they don't do this. You can say it all you want. Adam Silver gonna say this. Yeah, you know, we've been looking into uh what you want me to say? Oh, yeah, we've been looking.
Speaker 2: Into way you know, we maybe we've killed it, maybe we've kielded it too far in the offensive favor. Maybe we're trying to find a way to get defense back in.
Speaker 1: Bob, she ain't doing nothing. How you gonna how you gonna see a flaw in something that's paying people fifty sixty million dollars? Yeah, uh, fifty sixty million dollars and you think they think it's a flaw.
Speaker 3: My bank account says, Hey.
Speaker 2: Every day is like we just like we're playing your Donas Haslam says, age plays a factor in his opinion about Lebron Your Donna's. Haslam said, the only reason why MJ is my goat is because, like he said, we watched them growing up.
Speaker 3: I'm older than Broun. He can't be my goat.
Speaker 2: I see that a lot, especially with comedians, because even current comedians really don't put Chappelle as their goat. They normally go back to prior. They go back to Eddie Murphy or they'll go to Red Fox, They'll go to Bernie Mack, they'll go to Robin Harrison, they go to George Carlin. You know, it's always a lady Bruce. They always go back. He says, he's my contemporary.
Speaker 3: I had JB.
Speaker 1: Smooth on, had a lot of comedian I've had a lot of comedians on Tommy Davidson, and they always go back a generation before him. Yeah, as opposed to saying somebody that's a contemporary or peer is on their Mount Rushmore or their goat.
Speaker 3: What's your take on that? I get what your Donnason said, I ain't got no problem.
Speaker 2: I didn't play. I didn't play against Travis Kelsey. I didn't play against Grom. I was leaving the league when Gates was there, but he didn't really play much my last year. I played a few years against Gonzo. So that's that's kind of like, uh, I played one year. I think Ozzie retired after my rookie. My rookie year, I saw Ozzie play. But I remember Winslow Big Winslow senior, Kellen Winslow senior. But I get what you're Donnisy said. It's like bro I'm older than him. He can't be my goat. I played with him. He contemporary, but that's that's.
Speaker 1: Just a competitive nature of who he is, right, And and a lot of players you don't want to name somebody that is still playing with you, you played against that's probably giving you fifty something, right, I don't want him to be my my goat, right, So you go backwards, right, And that's just that's just how it is.
Speaker 3: Whenever you hear a.
Speaker 1: Player talk, when you hear the guys talk today and they have Kobe as their goat, they didn't play against Kobe, right, it was on the end of it, right, So they're coming in the same so they wasn't really a competitor like that. The real competitors when they retire, they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Say, all right, you know he Bean was a killer. Okay, he's the goat.
Speaker 1: He's up there, right, So you still get the respect, but it's usually after.
Speaker 3: The person's done, really done, retired
Speaker 1: A few years, reality kicks in and then they can give you their their honest opinion.