Speaker 1: Lots to say with Bobby Bones and Matt Castle is a production of the NFL and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: We got lots, Just say we got lots.
Speaker 3: Just say.
Speaker 2: What is better here? And we hope you say because we got a lots, just say, yeah, we got a lots. Just say here's.
Speaker 4: Bobby that everybody, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: What do the numbers one ninety three and one fourteen met you?
Speaker 4: One ninety three and one fourteen.
Speaker 3: By the way, for everybody listening, yeah, we are recording this at about three o'clock eastern, So just do you have a little timestamp as to when we're recording this. So what we're about to talk about fits is to what just happened. But the numbers one ninety three and one fourteen, just take a stab at it, take a stab at it.
Speaker 4: I'm looking into your eyes. I'm trying to search into your soul. I'm thinking, is there something around the room? It's not one fourteen in the afternoon, Kevin, do you know what it is?
Speaker 1: I was thinking draft pick number first. Do you know what I'm about to No? I don't know either.
Speaker 3: I have no As we're recording this right now, something just broke and something big, Yeah, something pretty big. One ninety three and one fourteen is Mike Tomlin's record, and he's now stepping down as the Steelers head coach.
Speaker 1: Whow So by the time.
Speaker 3: Everybody's hearing this, it's been out for half a day. However, it just happened, and so Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers are separating after nineteen seasons. Tomlin was hired by the Steelers and seven was one ninety three and one fourteen, tying the legendary Chuck Noles franchise record for victories. Unbelievable, both the Ravens and the Steelers same year, both their coaches.
Speaker 4: I never would have guessed that coming into this year. I mean, Tomlin, it's been you know, rumors over the last few years because of their inability to win a playoff game. Harball was a shock to me when that happened as well. But wow, end of an error.
Speaker 3: It just resets again all the coaching and in a hierarchy. But you're looking at Tomlin and Harball that they're the upper tier of the coaches for sure, and they may not both they may not want to coach.
Speaker 1: I mean Tomlin may want to take a year off. I don't know, this just broke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Tomlin would be outstanding on one of these shows as well. Go take a bridge year, do something like that. Any show in America would want to have that guy on a gap year kids, just like kids do now when they're in eighth grade. In that top tier Harball Tomlin and that second tier close, but second tier I think is who again won Coach of the Year twice with the Browns, with the Browns, with the brown and with a disastrous quarterback situation.
Speaker 3: So then you have Mike and Daniel, you have all you know, all these head coaches that have been fired or have left that will easily find another head coaching spot because they're all valuable.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Thomas.
Speaker 4: And there's still these question marks about Lafleur whether or not they can work out a deal because he's on one year. He's got one year left on his deal. They said that they would want him back, but what does that look like? What does that deal look like that dreen Bay is willing to present to him. Is it going to be fair market if.
Speaker 3: It's a one year because if they're wanting to extend him, right, that means obviously he'll coach next year in the last year of his deal. But if they're wanting to go one plus one, I don't know if I take that. If I'm Lafloor, no.
Speaker 4: Because he knows that there's a lot of coaching vacancies out there, and he's not at the bottom tier of this list either.
Speaker 1: He'll be up there close to the side. I think he's in this defanski, I think he's in that.
Speaker 4: Tier, right, And so he's sitting there going, well, if you guys don't want to pay me, some other team is going to give me a three or four year deal making anywhere from I'm guessing twelve to fifteen a year, And so it would be one of those situations where they'd come insult him with a low ball offer or maybe a one or two year deal like you're saying, and he says, no, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I think that's good news for these really bad teams that are looking for a coach, because that makes the whatever coach they get is going to be even better.
Speaker 4: Mike Tomlin the Tennessee Titans, Baby.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine like there have been harball to the Titans rumblings right, because and look the Titans are not a well run organization.
Speaker 4: They aren't.
Speaker 3: I know you played there. You may argue with me. They are not a well run organization.
Speaker 4: They have no alignment. I feel like from top to bottom.
Speaker 1: When your owner has to release the statement saying we're now going to let our general manage or general manage, that's probably a good idea. That was the state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you did hire him for a reason, right, And it's top down.
Speaker 1: So again, you've been in the organization. You can speak to it more than I can.
Speaker 3: But I'm not a Titans fan just because I live in Nashville and I look at the organization and go, man, they do not know what they're doing. That doesn't mean they all don't know what they're doing. But if the number one doesn't know what doing, the owner and if they don't have good vision, everybody else falls in line.
Speaker 4: Right, And at some point you have to trust in the GM who you hire. And you go out and you say, hey, we're bringing you in here to run this organization. That means, okay, we're going to hire a coach, We're going to go out and get players. But you can't be one of those owners. That's reactionary. Right, if things don't go well in the first year or first year and a half, we're not not going to fire you. If Mike Vrabel comes in and has all this success and then for two years we have down years because of whatever reasoning behind it. But during that time period, you fire your GM. Then then you fire Mike Vrabel. Now you're onto the next coach, and now the next coach and the next GM. That it's just it's not a recipe for success that is anywhere sustainable. Rabel and Derrick Henry and Kevin Byard, who's in Chicago right now, who led the league in interceptions this year, who Aj Brown while he didn't have his best outing last week in the playoff game, still superstar, number one wide receiver for the team while he was here.
Speaker 1: All these guys are not in the building anymore.
Speaker 3: And my point with the hardball to Tennessee rumors, and I think they're just light rumors, but Tennessee's getting a new stadium, right. Tennessee has a quarterback, a young quarterback that I think if a coach sees a uh, if they're optimistic about a quarterback getting them one year into their deal, it's excellent.
Speaker 4: You got four more years because you also can build that team around him because he's on the You're not spending any money on your franchise quarterback. Do you live in Nashville? Draft picks?
Speaker 1: So it Nashville is a good job if the owner lets the rest of the management team do their jobs.
Speaker 4: Football people need to do the football job. And that's my opinion on it. Be doing all the jobs. Guarantee you.
Speaker 3: Set up in the booth like Brady and again with new uniforms every week.
Speaker 1: Run it, run it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I think teams like the Titans and the Cardinals and these teams that are known as being a bit dysfunctional, I think all these good coaches being back in the mix helps all of them because it's just gonna lift, right, the quality of head coaches. They're going to get a better coach because even if they get the bottom of the barrel in this cycle of coaches, the bottom of the barrel just got better because the top of the barrel is higher.
Speaker 4: Right, because you're always you're always looking for that young offensive coordinator defensive coordinator to come in take over as your head coaching. Right now, you have a pool of candidates that have head coaching experience, not just head coaching experience, but have won consistently and have our proven winners. And anytime you can bring that type of individual into your organization, it gives you an immediate lift and not only rallies the players around you, but how just the perception and how these coaches go about their business allows you to know, hey, we have the ability to be very successful, but we have to follow this regimen.
Speaker 3: We have the great Ed McCaffrey coming up, which is pretty cool, really cool. Obviously McCaffrey was a dog back in the day. It was just weird to see a wide receiver when I was young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it made me appreciate the wide receiver, like somebody that was white could still go out and do it. I mean, but he was a physically imposing guy. You think about him. He was six' five two thirty go out there and he do it in the run, game do it in the past. Game and it was always fun to watch him because he played at such a high level and he played like you want to see somebody play maximum effort all the.
Speaker 1: Time he walks So Cooper john could, run he means.
Speaker 4: Sprint did you see the clip.
Speaker 3: Where His philadelphia has two white guys in their, secondary AND i forget who the player, was and he was, like, no, No i'm Not cooper And John i'm the other.
Speaker 1: One YEAH i saw. That yeah He's it was, like no other one guy goes my. Bad all, Right i'm going to start us. Off. Now there are eight quarterbacks, left And i'm ranking.
Speaker 4: Them i'm shocked to see who will go on in this list power.
Speaker 1: Rankings, yes of the eight quarterbacks. Left according to, ME i love ranking. Things we're gonna go number, One Josh. Allen that's. Shocking the guy is. Superman yeah that, push it did not result in a, touchdown but it was very.
Speaker 4: Close it's like ten.
Speaker 3: Yards oh, Yeah like that to me was the essence of what was happening that. Game, yes and the fact that they That Brandon cooks has to be the dude just tells you they don't have anybody just.
Speaker 4: I, Mean Brandon cooks has got to be in Year i'm guessing fourteen something like. That obviously takes care of his, body but some of the throws That Josh allen made down the stretch when he's got they've got max pressure, coming he's got a free runner in his face and he throws that poster route To Brandon, COOKS i, mean but takes an absolute shot right in his chest as he's staring it. Down and it's plays like that that you just sit there in awe of a guy like, that of that centa because he got beat up early in that. Game he saw when he hurt his, knee he got it bent back early, on he was wabbling around a little.
Speaker 3: Bit the guy just keeps coming back for more and more and. More twelve, years twelve. Years it feels like a hundred because he's just been.
Speaker 4: Everywhere he's been, everywhere Wasn't he's been in with The, Patriots he's been with the Huge, Texans Dallas, Cowboys, cowboys and everywhere he goes he becomes some, somehow some.
Speaker 1: Way he has a.
Speaker 4: Role but he's, impactful like he's a guy Like, Oh branon Cooksh No.
Speaker 3: COWBOYS i think they thought he's gonna be a number. Two he's never really showed up over. There he showed up a little bit. There number. Two Matthew stafford. NUMBERS i can't debate that at. All, Yeah stafford's one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Period even at his, age but some of the throws he makes and how he's able to manipulate the manipulate the. Defense he was doing it WHEN i was In detroit with. Him but it's just wild BECAUSE i don't know how you practice something like. That it's the no look past you never you don't see really anybody else knew.
Speaker 1: It, well guys like, us we just have an.
Speaker 4: Instinct. NO i stare at the wide receiver and be, like, hey please don't get there Before i'll go try to move, you but they're not gonna. Move my eyes back inside to try to make SURE i see where that target.
Speaker 1: Is number, Three Sam, Darnold Sam donald number, three all, RIGHT i like.
Speaker 3: It AND i have to Give Sam donald a lot of credit because the narrative Around Sam donald was kind of wilts and all because of the end of The minnesota. Run all because of, that all of, it and they won a big game Againt San francisco at the end of the. Season but you're talking about as many wins as he's had in back to back. YEARS i Think brady is the, guy only the only guy to ever do that back to back, Fourteen, yeah fourteen, wins four.
Speaker 1: Wins It's donald And, Brady and So i'm Putting Sam donald at number three because The seahawks are just legit AND i think he's. GOOD i don't think he has to be as good as he is at times because there are seasons of seasons where he doesn't have to win, games.
Speaker 4: Right and he's got to know what his team is right. Now their defense is, dominant they've got a good running, game they've got good wide. RECEIVERS i think when he started out this, season he was as hot as anybody he could be in THAT Ndi key conversation midway through the. Year it hasn't been as good in the ladder of the of the. Season there's no doubt about. That he also leads the league with twenty turnovers this. Year so he's had some bad. Picks he's had some bad, picks but he comes back from those picks and understanding who their team is and going out again against an opponent that you're familiar. With this, week they lost In week, one they come back in the last week of the. Season they only score thirteen, points but that defense absolutely shut down the forty nine, ers AND i think it's going to be something similar to that game plan going in to this. One this, WEEKEND.
Speaker 1: I had number four the quarterback with the best nickname of the eight remaining commun name that quarterback best?
Speaker 4: Nickname, YEAH i don't even know. NICKNAMES i know.
Speaker 3: Names, Drake, Drake Drake May, May.
Speaker 1: What's what's what's his? Nickname Drake Drake May? May a guy so good his nickname is just his.
Speaker 4: Name, Okay i'm with.
Speaker 1: It you haven't heard Of Drake Drake May. May have you heard of? This of, course it's. Everywhere oh, Man, well my name is his name because he's that, dude and.
Speaker 4: People think this is. Cool, WELL i just say it's. Cool.
Speaker 1: May how did your?
Speaker 3: Nickname your own, name like your? Own you are so, cool you don't need a Cool it is a cool. Name it is a cool, Name i'll say. That and he's playing at really high. LEVEL i don't care about his. NICKNAME i just know that he's a. Stud, yeah he's just second year. GUYS i struggle a little bit with. THAT i know you, DO i know you. Do there's a lot of the. Money he's my leader of my second year, guys as he should. Be he might be the m V p and he's not THE. MVP i don't think any Of but he was second Team All. Pro the only REASON i say that BECAUSE i wasn't bullish On both of those guys had excellent. Seasons, yes but Whenever drake may win second Team All? Pro, kevin you see That patriots? Fan, YEAH i think that kind of to, me says he's not going to win THE.
Speaker 4: Mvp so first Team All Pro Josh, Allen, No, Stafford Oh? Stafford, Yeah, well isn't THERE anfc.
Speaker 1: In AN Ac?
Speaker 4: NO i think that.
Speaker 1: One, yeah it's.
Speaker 4: One god figuring this new stuff out every. Day i've been around the league for a. While just One All. Pro, Well stafford's, deserving he'll win THE. Mvp, YEAH i think so.
Speaker 3: Too, yeah at number, FOUR i Got drake, mate and both of you guys being a Former patriot and A patriot fan ugly at the, beginning but man may looked, good but he just when you need, something he gives it to.
Speaker 4: You the throat Hunter, HENRY i, mean, yeah that's phenomenal because he makes plays like that all the. Time and they're very reliant on the pass game because they need the pass game to get going in order to get that run game. Going and he continues to perform at a high level on what they need in different, situations and he keeps coming back for. More he had the. Turnovers he's got to eliminate. That it'll be interesting this week though Against. Houston big shout out to that New england defense man they. Came how about That milton did signed him and big boy can come home back because he was out for what six? Weeks six weeks with the high ankle. Spring they also Got Christian barmore back in the, middle so they got healthier in the middle of the defense BECAUSE i don't think that they have any true dominant defensive ends who are going to rush the passer from the. Edge but what they do do is run a ton of. Games they've got tremendous speed in a really good. Secondary at number, Five Caleb Drake May William caleb making his way up the. List, huh he's, look he's strugg it's a.
Speaker 3: Struggle most first halves That bears team all year has been a. Struggle most first halves got it looked awful down twenty three, bad, Bad.
Speaker 1: But holy, mother is he?
Speaker 3: Dynamic does he make the throw if it's fourth down and anything above? Nine in the games on the line seven times in. Row he's gonna hit all seven of those masses.
Speaker 1: Throat to his.
Speaker 4: Left people don't realize how difficult it is to roll left and flip your hips as, alrighty let alone to roll.
Speaker 1: Left pass the Seventeen. Ye, YEAH i.
Speaker 4: Mean his feet are off the ground and that guy is fading back and the ball hits him in his hands for a huge.
Speaker 1: Conversion if they don't make, that game's, over game's. OVER i, mean he's he's.
Speaker 3: Special If i'm A bears, fan even if they lose next, Week i'm so fired up for next. Year you saw so much, growth not even with Just Ben johnson and the team in, general because you did that. Team they flipped the coin, completely no. Doubt But Caleb williams from where they were at in camp whenever he was making low not highlight low light tiktoks because he's missing these throws by a.
Speaker 1: Mile put him on blast for play. Practice it's a different.
Speaker 3: Dude, yeah, okay next, Up rock party at number, Six rock party at number.
Speaker 1: Six he does what needs to get. Done and sometimes you start to, think, well this is guy's just a game, manager and then you're, reminded dude is an athlete dude's an.
Speaker 4: Athlete he doesn't have the same personnel that they anticipated going into this. Season, Obviously Brandon ayuk hasn't been out of the, Fill George kittle's been. Hurt Juwan jennings has really stepped up to be their number one wide, receiver which was a, surprise i'd say for most of us going into this.
Speaker 1: Year and Then christian.
Speaker 4: McCaffrey when you look at that in the way in which he manages the game and then still makes high end throws. Consistently he doesn't do it with the most powerful, arm. Right what he does it with is, anticipation and he knows where to throw the, ball when to throw the, ball and, he's like you, said he's a great. Athlete he makes plays with his legs that. PEOPLE i think it's very understated for a lot of.
Speaker 3: Individuals the play that he, made he's running around the, left he stepped, in the two linemen kind of came together and then.
Speaker 1: He blew through.
Speaker 4: Them.
Speaker 3: Sick it was just pure, athletes, right and it's hard to be the athlete when you have McCaffrey there with.
Speaker 1: You is that, dude that guy? Animal what are they just gonna to throw A check And Jawan.
Speaker 4: Jennings, yeah why? NOT i SAW i heard something that the other day That Us check is a ten time pro, Bowler.
Speaker 1: But aren't there on like three fullbacks in THE? Nfl, yes but that works to his.
Speaker 3: Advantage but nonetheless, yeah, NO i, mean as soon As kittle was, heard it was just throw it to Use check all the plays we would usually thought To.
Speaker 1: Kittle, Right to have somebody so versatile like, that.
Speaker 4: It's it's a tremendous, asset especially a guy that lines up a fullback but can play the tight. End really the f position is what we like to call. It he's not going to hold down the line of, scrimmage but he's backside cut off but can still release out into a pattern that's adds depth to your team for.
Speaker 1: Sure nicks at, Seven Bo?
Speaker 4: Nicks that guy does he? Have does he have any? Nicknames?
Speaker 1: Bo Drake Maine. Knicks everybody is going to Be Drake May knicks and next is.
Speaker 3: Fine he's. Good, yeah he's. Fine broncos are. Good they have a great. Defense he's doing what he needs to.
Speaker 4: DO i just PUT.
Speaker 1: Cj strout, last because, MAN i don't even know what's.
Speaker 3: Happening it feels like and obviously That texans defense is so, Good Segars stroud getting worse every.
Speaker 4: Year you, know he's just never been able to recapture what he did that rookie season that he. Had it was a phenomenal rookie. Season they've. Won he's won what two out of four playoff games or something like that during his. Career so they're in the playoffs every?
Speaker 1: Year AM i wrong, though to say, that BECAUSE i feel.
Speaker 4: There's times Where i'll watch, him, like there's times this season Where i'm, Like, wow there's THE. Cj stroud that we talk about consistently where we, say if he can capture that in a, bottle that lightning in a, bottle he could be a top ten quarterback. Easily but then there's too much. Inconsistency and that showed up in the last playoff game where you're sitting there and some of the throws that just blatant. Misses and let's be, Honest houston didn't have really any offense going Against pittsburgh all. Game it was the defense that went out there dominated scored, points scored more points Than pittsburgh and that was the. Difference and SO i would SAY i would agree with you that right, Now i'd put him at.
Speaker 1: Eight So Nico collins went into concussion.
Speaker 3: Protocol now's sucks they played on A monday night because that they don't have as many days now Before.
Speaker 4: Sunday, yeah and that was always the thing about The monday night. Game AND i know it's television and contractual agreements and all that, stuff BUT i just think it's unfair to a team to play on A. Monday you're just still going to come back on A, sunday but it's a short, week and to get ready for a playoff, game to not potentially be at your best because you got your one last day, RESTED i don't think it's necessarily makes much.
Speaker 5: Sense gonzalez also is a, yeah so, yeah but there's a. DIFFERENCE i, agree because without a number one ur, receiver it's different than a corner BECAUSE i Think mack could probably test, this but you can make up for a little bit with a corner. Out but as far as a receiver that kills, everything, YEAH.
Speaker 4: I mean you want your dogs out there in any, game let alone in the, playoffs especially because he's become the go to wide receiver for a struggling quarterback that sometimes needs you to needs to be picked up by that wide. Receiver you're not going to have, him so you have to rely on another. Asset it's, uh that would be a big.
Speaker 1: Blow they also got an extra Day New england did.
Speaker 3: True, yeah So i'll. Help, YEAH i never been in the. Protocol i've definitely been in the. Protocol you, Have, yeah just kind of take it week by. Week as Coach belichick would.
Speaker 1: Say what do you do when you're in the? Protocol do you just sit in a dark?
Speaker 4: Room, well that was the one THAT i had WHEN i was In Kansas city WHERE i got knocked out.
Speaker 1: Cold and then.
Speaker 4: That week was the first week WHERE i had been hit in the head WHERE i had like an actual concussion that they diagnosed as a concussion Where i'd go into a room and just go to sleep and sleep for long periods of. Time my wife's, LIKE i am seriously worried about, you Because i've Had i've been banged up, before but within one two, days the symptoms kind of go away and you're actually out there back at. Practice this was the first Time lethargic didn't feel that headaches throughout the, Week SO i didn't play that. WEEK i was able to come back the following, week but it was just a Weird it's always weird when you take a hit like that and you know that you're, concussed but you just think you're automatically going to bounce that back like you did, before and to have these lingering issues that just makes you feel not, SUPERHUMAN i, guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah especially being an athlete like, you where you have been superhuman physically your whole, life like you have played the highest at every. Level you're physically bigger than all of, us you're, faster and then it's like the first time is, like welcome to.
Speaker 1: Reality you are.
Speaker 4: Not you're now you're.
Speaker 3: Not so it's physically gifted you can get through, this or or it's you, know it's one thing to have your knee g it hurt or something like.
Speaker 4: That but when you get hit in the, head which we all take blows playing it in THE, nfl but it is the first time that it actually was like a wake up call, like oh, wow like this is.
Speaker 1: Real this is a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Serious because you, know they do the they always do the cat skins and, this that and the. Other but that was the first time THAT i had lingering effects WHERE i was, like, huh maybe this game can present some some harm to. YOU i go back and, forth because you, know if you think of Two cinderella teams for this season thus far going into the, playoffs you have to go with the forty Nine, ers what they've had to, overcome, injuries all the different. Circumstances we've talked about it at nauseum of, course Or, chicago of which one of these two teams have the potential to move on and still keep That cinderella story. Going AND i look at the forty Nine ers going To, seattle AND i think this is going to be a hard one for them to. Overcome, yeah AND i Just seattle's got an extra week of. Rest that was a hard fought battle Against, philadelphia so you, know for the forty Nine ers are already banged. Up THEN i look at it AND i, say these two opponents know each other so, well that's always going to be a. Dogfight forty Nine ers are not going to lay, out roll over and give up for. Anybody and when you go back to That week eighteen, game they're Missing Trent, williams which has a tremendous impact on that offensive.
Speaker 1: Unit they've got to be able to run the ball In.
Speaker 4: Seattle on the other, hand, yes outstanding, defense there's still some question marks about the. Offense and WHEN i say question, MARKS i mean forty nine ers held them to thirteen, points and that thirteen points is not a. Lot that's two score, game and SO i think that'll be an interesting. Matchup and then when you talk About, CHICAGO i, mean, GOSH i don't know if they can keep doing it the way that they're doing, it but they keep showing up in the second half each and every. Week it's, like, hey let's not even play the first. Half just give me an opportunity to come back in the second.
Speaker 3: Half both of those are The saturday games. Too, yeah, no that's not. Right The niners And seahawks is the late game On. Saturday they're both THE nfc. Games the other Game, sunday, Right, yep that what it. Is BUT i think The rams right At.
Speaker 4: BEARS i know that home field advantage will definitely be for The bears because it's going to be a cold weather. GAME i saw, Today actually it's going to be high of twenty. Four that's a tremendous change from coming FROM la because you can't practice, that and you can't assume. It you can't simulate that in. Practice but The RAMS i still think are probably the most one of the most well rounded teams still left in the.
Speaker 1: Playoffs.
Speaker 4: NOW i think that they showed some weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball against The panthers last. Week with that, OFFENSE i, mean they can score it well whenever they want.
Speaker 3: TO i think The rams could possibly be the best team in THE nfl right. Now what's crazy is they had to go To. Carolina they got to fly back. Home now they got to go back To chicago and play a a momentum That bears team. Is they have heavy momentum right. Now right that city is just loving, it.
Speaker 4: Rocking they weren't loving the first half of that.
Speaker 3: GAME i don't think they'd love the first, half but they ended up getting it done in the fourth. Quarter it's time for The week In preview presented By. DraftKings from first touchdown score to anytime touchdown, props or the thrill of live in game, betting every snap is loaded with. Opportunity let's go through the divisional Round bills At. Broncos, Mmm i'm gonna bet On superman.
Speaker 4: SAME i, Mean Josh allen is proven throughout his career but even more, recently just that he can overcome any. Circumstances and as good as That Denver bronco defense, IS i still look at their offense and, say, look they're not a, juggernaut especially when you go back To week. Eighteen they weren't good in that game at all, Offensively so to, me they're not operating in a high.
Speaker 1: Center.
Speaker 4: Now they had a week off to try to correct some of those, things but you can't do that all in a. Week and The bills are riding some momentum here winning In jacksonville's what's the? Line one and a?
Speaker 1: Half? DENVER i mean? Neutral that's about.
Speaker 3: Even, Yeah i'm going when it's close with the best player on the, field and That's Josh.
Speaker 1: Allen So i'm with you. There let's Go texans At. Patriots what's the, Line Kevin New England. Three, Wow i'm a little.
Speaker 3: Surprised it's that High.
Speaker 1: Patriots i'll go. First i'm going to go with The. Patriots that.
Speaker 3: OFFENSE i have not seen anything recent to make me think The texans can score points unless their defense does. It And Drake may has been playing so well THAT i just he hasn't turned the ball over a, lot.
Speaker 4: And that's going to be the key to the game for The New England. Patriots i'll go with The patriots as. Well they know that this is going to be a. Game And josh, McDaniels i've been in the room with him when they're game planning and doing all. This they understand that the edges are. Problems Will Anderson. Jr Daniel, hunter those guys can get after the. Quarterback WHEN i go way back and kind of date myself when we used to play The colts back in the day and they used to Have freemy And Manta, mathis they were a. Problem but what did we. Do we made sure that we put presents on the. Edge we're trying to get double teams first and foremost is going to be protecting and protecting the, ball protecting the quarterback and protecting the, ball and, somehow some, way hopefully you start to lean on these, guys get that run game going and take your shots. Downfield, look there's not a weakness on This Houston houston's defense. Period they're good in the, secondary they're good at the second, level and there you've got an outstanding. Front, however If i'm going to put my money on, Somebody i'm putting my money On drake May this offensive unit that has performed throughout the, year and as you, Stated houston to me hasn't shown me enough offensively to make me fearful of anything that they.
Speaker 3: Do and if we're going to talk about a home field advantage and, weather we have to talk about this game. Too you're taking guys From houston and sending them up to Freaking boston where it's going to be one.
Speaker 6: Degree there's nothing more brutal than playing that type of. Weather forty Nine ers At. SEAHAWKS i love the forty.
Speaker 4: Nine ers, STORY i love who they are and how they. COMPETE i just think that, environment in the way in Which seattle is playing is going.
Speaker 1: To be too much for. Him i'm going to go With seattle and not really a weather. Game but, man you're right About seattle at home it Is. Mayhem, well you.
Speaker 4: Take that defense and then you add the Twelfth, man so to, speak.
Speaker 1: As what they call.
Speaker 4: It it is one of the loudest Stadiums i've ever played, at almost so deafening that you can't even hear yourself talk on the sideline to a buddy that's sitting right next to.
Speaker 3: You probably helps a. Bit That San francisco has done it once this, year just played there.
Speaker 4: Right that these guys are familiar with. It they've got to definitely have a veteran team that have played there. Before they are going to understand the, environment what they need to, do and how to mechanically get through that at the line of, scrimmage especially for their. Offense at the same, time it doesn't make it any easier because everything's nonverbal at that point when you got to check a, play when you have to, signal everything has to be. Demonstrative. Demonstrative you have to be able to signal instead of verbally verbally give cues to. EVERYBODY i like verbally when talking, Verbally drake may nickname.
Speaker 1: It i'm going to go with forty nine, ers BUT i just don't think they have the health to.
Speaker 3: Maintain everybody said, that but if they win this game In, SEATTLE i, agree they get a chance against. ANYONE i don't care what the circumstances. Are i'm going forty nine or BECAUSE i got too much money to. NOT i want to want to push that over and then Finally rams At.
Speaker 4: BEARS i gotta go with The rams on the. ROAD i think the season that The bears have what's that line three and a half ms only three and a Half? Chicago you, say only on the road In chicago. Cold you gotta remember, breaks some hand.
Speaker 1: Warmers, Yeah i'm going with The. Rams i'm going With.
Speaker 4: Stafford i'm going with just let's we've talked about, before the weapons that they, have the offensive. Line, now defense didn't have the best outing Against, carolina but at the same, TIME i think they get it.
Speaker 3: Done that was the week in preview percent By Draft Kings DraftKings Sports, Book every, drive every, play every. Moment download The DraftKings Sports book. App now use the code to say one word t say turn five bucks into three hundred and bonus bets if your bet. Wins in partnership With, DraftKings The crown Is.
Speaker 7: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler In New york called eight seven seven eight open are textape and why at four six seven three sixty. Nine In, connecticut help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or VISIT ccpg dot. Org please play responsibly on behalf Of Boothilka Cinnamon Resorting kansas twenty one on over agent eligibility varies by Jurisdiction voyd And ontario bet must win to receive. Reward bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after. Issue ins four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkang dot co slash audio.
Speaker 3: Back With ed McCaffrey in the Second all, right let's go over now and talk with three Times Super bowl Champion ed. McCaffrey ed played thirteen SEASONS nfl for The giants forty nine, ers obviously The. Broncos he had over seven thousand receiving yards fifty five touchdowns in his.
Speaker 1: Career it was named of The broncos fiftieth anniversary. Team one of my favorite, Players ed, McCaffrey, ed thanks for coming on with.
Speaker 8: Us, well my. Pleasure thanks for having me on the.
Speaker 4: Show and you came in a league in nineteen ninety. One what was the league like back? Then because you always hear about these different stories from different, Errors but talk to me about nineteen ninety one coming into THE.
Speaker 1: Nfl were you born?
Speaker 8: YET i?
Speaker 1: WAS i was a fat chubby kid hitting. Baseballs, yeah we have that in.
Speaker 8: COMMON i played a little league. BASEBALL i think we were twenty some years. Apart BUT i did Play williams port in basketball WHEN i was a freshman at He Mayus High school in He, Mayus. Pennsylvania that's about as close as we. Overlap BUT i couldn't hit the, curveball. Unfortunately but, Yeah so nineteen ninety, One Bill parcells was my head. Coach he drafted. Me my locker during training camp was right Between Lawrence taylor And Carl. Banks, wow that pretty much tells you all you need to. Know Phil simms was the. Quarterback they just won The Super bowl AND i think the time of possession is still a record for A Super. Bowl New York giants beat The bills first of their four. Losses so it was a, tough physical league back. Then they didn't have any of the players safety rules they have. Today very, competitive very, physical very. Tough training camps were long and tedious and you really had, to you, know earn your. Stripes it brought a lot of guys into camp and it was hard to compete for a. POSITION i went to a team that was the oldest team in the league at the, time and they had all the receivers back from the year. Before it was a third round, pick SO i felt good about. It but back then wasn't uncommon to see second or third round picks cut if they didn't pan out in training. Camp so it was a lot of. Fun it was a dream come true for me to be drafted and to go to a team that just won A Super bowl and to play with some of the greatest players in the history of the, game and definitely some of the Greatest New york football. Giants you, Know Phil simms was our, Quarterback Jeff hosteler was on the. Team both those guys Won Super, bowls and THEN lt And Carl banks and right on down the.
Speaker 3: Line you, Know Matt castle talks about how quarterbacks, now you know they have a bit of invincibility around.
Speaker 4: Them you don't want to hurt.
Speaker 3: Them you, know it affects the bottom. Line and as you may, here the wide receivers back in the day did not have what they have. Now how do you think you would have played different if all those shots couldn't have been taken on?
Speaker 8: You i'll tell you what you. KNOW i was known by the end of my career as being the player in the, league that were the least pads of any player in the. LEAGUE i wore like a pair of punters shoulder pads And matt knows what those are. Like you could fold them up and put them in your back. POCKET i wore a helmet and that was. It, cleats that was. It no. Pads but WHEN i first started with The, GIANTS i had every pad in the, world including a neck roll THAT i was forced to wear about halfway through the season BECAUSE i was breaking up the wedge on a kickoff coverage in it and you, know they used to have offensive linemen set in the wedge back then, anyway tweaked the neck and end up with a neck. Roll every team in the, league the receivers on their team would come up to me and, said, man you're giving us a bad. Look you got to get rid of that neck. Roll Pet our Trainer Ronnie, barnes who's still there by the, way he's A hall Of, famer would't let me play without wearing the neck. Role i'm glad he did, so even though we didn't have player safety. Rules you, Know LUCKILY i had a guy looking out for me who didn't want me to hurt myself any. Worse i'm all for protecting. Quarterbacks you, know it's tough when you get down to your third or fourth. Quarterback not all quarterbacks are. Equal sometimes you get lucky and you have a diamond in the. Rough other times it affects the, game especially even if they're, talented because they don't get the reps throughout the. Season So i'm all for protecting quarterbacks and protecting. Players you, know as a father now with kids that play in the, game you want to see the best players on the, field and you want to see guys stay. Healthy and even from a fan, standpoint right you fans want to get used to the names of the players on their. Team they don't want, to you, know you, know getting injured and leaving and then they got to buy a new.
Speaker 4: Jersey you, know you played for multiple different, organizations and some people would even consider you during your career a late bloom er so to, speak because you go To denver and you probably had your most success. There what was it About denver that created this culture of success for?
Speaker 8: You that's a great. QUESTION i think the short answer IS i found a coach that believed in me and gave me an, Opportunity and that was the. Key Mike shanahan believed in me and gave me an opportunity to get on the. Field you, know it was. INTERESTING i think every player grows and develops the longer they're in the. League, obviously your rookie season is your first. Season you're, new you played at the collegiate, level you never played against the best players in the. World it's a more complicated. Game they spend every day all day getting ready to play. Football that's all they. Do they don't go to, class they don't have a. Job it's all about. Football so it's a much higher level of competition and so you know that, takes you, know an adjustment getting used to that level of. Competition but also you know you have the. Time you know there are more games and it's a longer, season and even, physically right you get bigger and stronger up till about each twenty five twenty, Six so you're still growing physically from college to THE. Nfl but In New, york you, KNOW i went to a really good, team and you KNOW i did get the for what it's, Worth New York Football. Giants you, Know rookie of The year for my. Team BUT i went to a team that didn't throw the ball a whole. Lot you guys will appreciate. This the leading wide receiver wide receiver on the team the year before the year they won The Super, bowl had twenty six catches on the. Season so like a lot of people look at your success in terms of just your, production, RIGHT i mean people that don't know the, game they'll just look at. Stats how many, catches how many? Yards AND i get it, right that's one way they can compare across. Teams but when you're on a team that only you know that targets they're leading wide receiver maybe fifty times in a whole, season and they have twenty six, catches you're not going to have. Stats SO i didn't have great stats like as a. Rookie BUT i also went to a team that just won The Super, bowl that had a dominant run game and a dominant defense that didn't throw the ball a. Lot my second, year led the team in. RECEIVING i was. Excited i'm, like all, right led the team in. RECEIVING i think it was like forty some, catches but that led the. Team and then and you, know the following, year we went through a coaching, change So Bill parcells was my. Coach he stepped down before the first. Season he said he had heart, problems stepped away from the game for a little. Bit Then Ray hanley became our head. Coach we were an older. Team guys started retiring and we. Lost we went eight and, eight six and. Ten he was let go and Then Dan reeves was. Hired And Dan, reeves he is a legend In denver for all the great seasons he had. There but he didn't like. Me he cut, me and so after one season there as a, BACKUP i WAS i was. Cut THEN i you, KNOW i had to make a really tough decision what team to try out, for AND i wanted to go to a team that had a chance to win A Super. Bowl so it was by. Design it was very proactive about. It had a handful of TEAMS i wanted to try out. Four one of them was the forty Nine. Ers went to try out for the forty nine, ers was in a camp with fourteen receivers and all four of the. Receivers by the, way they only kept four, receivers which is unheard. Of but when two of them Are Jerry rice And John. Taylor you don't need a whole lot of, THEM i. Guess so tried out for the, team luckily made. It that's a whole other made that, team got to be on a Super bowl championship. Team Mike shanahan saw me in, practice and BECAUSE i didn't get into games a, lot right backing Up Jerry rice at the, time so brought me To denver with. Him she told me he'd give me an opportunity to. Compete that's ALL i needed to, hear and went out and competed and got that. Opportunity so thank. Goodness you, KNOW i went to the forty nine, ers got to win a Super. Bowl that was pretty, cool even as a. Backup and then you, know you never know who's watching, You. Right Mike shannan barely talked to me during the, season, Right he was always coaching the starters and installing the offense and talking to the. Team but fortunately he noticed WHAT i was doing in. PRACTICE i worked really hard and had a lot of. Fun brought me To denver and then we won two More Super bowls in the next five, years and the rest is.
Speaker 3: History you talk about not a lot of receptions because they didn't throw the ball as much whenever you were in THE, nfl at least at. First but when you were At, stanford were you doing a lot of blocking from the wide receiver? Pasosition did that help you transition into THE? Nfl, yeah you, KNOW.
Speaker 8: I took a lot of pride in. Blocking you, know WHEN i was in seventh and eighth. GRADE i, Know, matt maybe you were a little chubby or as a. KID i wasn't really, chubby BUT i. DID i was, TALL i was a big. Kid SO i got moved to offense and defensive line in seventh and eighth. Grade SO i played a little o IN d, line AND i promised Myself i'd work as hard as possible playing wide receiver SO i didn't get bumped back down IN d, Line and SO i was on a crazy diets and everything. Else BUT i learned how to, block you, know as a little kid play in, line and then WHEN i got To, stanford it's SOMETHING i took. Pride AND i was always you, know borderline tight, end you, know six.' five i was two thirty eight in, high school and they were always trying to bump me down to play. Tight END but i kept, losing weight so they'd keep me. At RECEIVER and i remember there was a game AT against ucla ACTUALLY where i got in. The game they're working to throw a lot of passes, to ME but i had a stinger in my SHOULDER and i couldn't really move my right ARM and i had to block just with. One arm so THAT'S when, I really, i think understood how important. TECHNIQUE was, I know i had to get my body in the right position between the ball carrier and the defender in order to be able to stalk block just using, one arm and it made sense. To me so then ever, since then, YOU know i took a lot of pride. In it it's all about leveraging technique and a little bit of want. To right there's a lot of receivers that kind of believe that the shoulders were made for suits and not for blocking or hitting. Defensive guys but, you know, for ME one i took pride IN and i thought it could help the, team win and two was a great way to get on. The fields kind Of How rod SMITH, And i rod's ringer Fame. With denver we Won Some super. Bowls together he, you know HE and i used to have a little side bets on who could declete the most DB's in, a game and we'd usually have somewhere between three four dec leaders in. A game and for the listeners that don't know what, that is a decleaners when you knock a guy on, the ground he has to be off his cleats and on the ground doesn't count if you hit. Him hard he actually has to physically be on. The ground and so we'd usually have three or four would be, the winner one or two would be, the loser and five ten dollars bets to see who could declete the. Most players and we, you know in, the beginning we. Were backups we were backing up two first round draft Picks, with denver and there was the way that we could get the coach to stop the, Film rights like all of, a sudden you're in front of the team watching. The film somebody makes a play and they rewind it and say what's going on, over here and they kind of notice to one of us knocking somebody to. The ground and then once you start doing that in the, run game all of a sudden they forget you're in there right and they throw the football and you catch it and then you catch it again and then next thing, you know they don't mind leaving you in there on. Pass plays and that's kind of how we both began our careers With The denver broncos and went from two backups to starting On Two super bowl.
Speaker 4: Championship teams the real question is when you did get, decleted somebody did you let, Them, know hey daddy just took you down to.
Speaker 1: The ground, Oh.
Speaker 8: Man usually it was them that was talking. TO smack i was never a big, smack talker, but yeah every time i'd knock one of, them down they would they'd have something. To SAY and i remember there's ONE particular dB who i we had to face twice a year who had all kinds of creative names for me that he would. Call ME and, i, said oh, come, on man don't be, a baby and, he's like that's all you got and you went into another rant of expletives and inappropriate And then, I'd, say okay don't be a don't be a. Big baby what do want? Me Say like i'm trying to catch my breath BETWEEN plays i had, To block, I'M like i don't have time to. Smack talk.
Speaker 4: What did you Think of.
Speaker 1: Christian's performance that's. Last, WEEK.
Speaker 8: Oh i was so proud. Of, him man that was a hard. Fought battle, you know they've bowled each other plenty of times last couple, of years a couple of Times. In philly, tough atmosphere it, was cold it was really, really windy and he went out there. AND competed i was proud of him and. HIS team I thought kyle did a great job. Of coaching the defense found a way to make a play and win the game at, the end and they had to work for everything that. They got that defensive front. Is phenomenal they're really really good d line. And linebackers was a lot of room, to run but then they started getting it going a little bit in the, second half and then they had to win in a really. Windy environment the wins were like thirty forty miles per, hour sideways which is why you saw a couple of missed, you know, extra points and it was. Swirling wins so that, ONE catch, i mean what a great play Call, by kyle great Throw By. Juwan jennings And then christian really had. To adjust, you know when you throw a football and the winds, taking it, you know you try to track it and then all of, a sudden the. Win pushes they had five or six yards the, other way and you got to retrack it and make an over the. SHOULDER catch i don't know if as, A receiver, i KNOW but i don't know if everybody understands how hard of a catch that was that he made in, that stadium in that environment with The win to track the ball and then have it move on you and have to readjust and make it over the. Shoulder catch for a running back to be able to do that is pretty. Unheard OF so i was really glad he made. That play that was a really, difficult play and then of course you know he was able to make another one later and score, another touchdown which was. Pretty COOL but i think this Forty nine ers team is the epitome of. TEAM football, i mean think of all the guys they've lost throughout, the, season right, you Know Obviously fred Warner and bosa and so many other guys were injured going into, This game butthune and lost so many guys, on defense and then, you know it's heartbreaking To lose George. RIGHT kittle, i mean that guy is he is the heart and soul. That team he's been, there forever and every time he touches, the ball. There's energy he's such an. Unselfish player and we're watching the game with his family and, you know, we're competing we're, all cheering and then he gets hurt and it, was like, you know it feels like a funeral there for. A while and they're so such, incredible people such a. Great family they're still cheering on, the team but you can see in their eyes they're so Upset that george, is hurt and you know your heart's broken. For him, You know i've been in, that position my kids have been in. That position it's a horrible place to be while your team's still out. There playing so it was really just the full gambit of emotions watching. That game but to answer, your question is Happy that, Christian competed happy that his team competed and found a way to get a really.
Speaker 4: Tough win what is It About kyle shanahan that makes him so, special that in the face of so much adversity that they had, this season that he's able to keep this team together and keep moving the right direction and.
Speaker 1: WINNING games i.
Speaker 8: Think he's really good at evaluating the talent that he has on his team and trying to put those guys in position. To win he's one of the coaches in the league and there's not that many of them that speak to the, whole team meaning he understands every single assignment of every single player on the team at. All times so he'll have a team meeting and he'll talk offense and defense once during. The week he'll talk run game once during, the week and he's talking to both sides of, the ball the offense and. The defense and, you know offense in terms of, their responsibility defense in terms of their gap responsibility and. Their ASSIGNMENT and i think when you're a coach that can, do that every guy in the room kind of sits up because they know he, sees you and you know he knows what your assignment is and so there's no hiding. From HIM and i think that's the kind of coach that garners a lot. Of respect and it also is the kind of coach that is able to put in great game plans for his players because he understands their ability and. Their ASSIGNMENTS so i think that's what makes. THEM great i know he's he's He's a. Lifer right, you know he's the Son Of. Mike shannan he was the ball BOY when i played for the forty nine ers back in nineteen. Ninety four so he's grown up around football his. Whole life he's completely obsessed with it and he committed his life to. The game and, you know they say it's not work if you love what. YOU'RE doing i think he just he loves what. He's doing and, you know he pulled a play out the other Against the eagles that he had called like six years. Or, something yeah he had in his back pocket until he. Needed it but he's an encyclopedia of information and he's a real technician and tactician in, terms of, you know expecting the little things to be done right on both sides of.
Speaker 3: The Ball so i'm trying to always get my, protein up keep my, protein high. You know and we're a protein, society now like it's starting to be really rewarded and the nutritional value is starting to be celebrated and you have your McCaffrey protein bites like this is this IS what i would expect a McCaffrey.
Speaker 4: To have protein bite there they are.
Speaker 1: Right there so when when did.
Speaker 4: These, happen yeah look at that beautiful, packaging too.
Speaker 8: Got the whole family. On. There, Yeah well LISA, and i, you know when our kids, were younger we were you know how you're always scrapping to put together like a meal, for him and it's hard to can't eat a cheese steak at halftime of a little league. Football game so we'd be running healthy snacks down to him in high school when they were in, little league and we have leaves out of special concoction drink that you, put together and then we try to get. Healthy snacks and a couple of our kids, have allergies so our, whole lives we've really been trying to put together a super healthy snack high. In protein that's. For everybody it's not just. For athletes, you know you're. Driving carpool keep it in, your console you're going, to work keeping in. Your briefcase you guys are doing, the podcast, have them you know on the side if you get hungry and protein. Is important a lot of people are deficient. In protein so, gluten free, non gmo high, in protein and, most importantly it. Tastes, GREAT man i.
Speaker 4: Want, some yeah it's like one of my favorite snacks is a. Protein ball don't, Kid yourself but it doesn't look like it comes in. That packaging it's like mine are falling APART because i don't put enough peanut butter. In there but speaking, of nutrition obviously nutrition was a big part of your life through your, playing career but obviously after when did nutrition come to the forefront and who helped introduce you to the benefits of being nutritionally sound so? To, SPEAK.
Speaker 8: Well i think it's a. Pro athlete and, you know even, before that in high school, AND college i always your body's, your, temple right that's what you're going to. Battle with football is, a, tough physical collision sport and you need to be at your best if you want to play at a. High level so even in, high school, YOU know i tried to do what. WAS right i don't know if you guys remember you know weader's. Weight GAINER but i would take like, you know the weaders protein in the weaders weak in or not KNOWING what i. Was, doing necessarily that was one of the few products out of, the TIME and i would load it with. PEANUT butter i was drinking raw Eggs. LIKE rocky i was trying to do all THE things I thought i was supposed to. Do right so it was important, to ME but i MIGHT maybe i wasn't as informed then in height, in college, you know they tried to move me to tight end, multiple times and today tight end would be a. Great position at the Time At notre Dame, in michigan you're, Blocking right YOU'RE blocking dns for most of, the Game and i'm thinking it's a little more fun to play. Wide RECEIVER so i really had to, lose WEIGHT and i had to go from about two. THIRTY eight i got down to two twenty FOUR when i showed Up, at stanford and then they tried to still try to move me to, tight END so i got down to one. Ninety seven so that was probably not a healthy weight. For ME but i, learned about, you know tracking my grams, of protein carbohydrates, and fats, staying hydrated, you know eating high. Protein foods a lot of times they were not very. Tasty foods, you know you're eating very low fat or non fat turkey and chicken and cutting the carbs and not eating any desserts and then monitoring. Your CALORIES so i and then working out like crazy four or five hours. A DAY so i did that to get an, incredible shape probably, you know three to four percent body fat at, the TIME but i was probably, too skinny so, YOU know i aired on the, heavy side aired on the, light side AND eventually i just came to the conclusion that the best way to fuel yourself is to do it intelligently and. With moderation so for the, most part eat healthy foods if, you, can right, you know five TO six i believe it, or not spread out every two to four hours of fruits and vegetables and healthy protein sources and minimal carbs and definitely lowg lyzema cards that you're going to. Eat them and, then unfortunately like we can't all walk around some some pro athletes do right with their. Own chef not everybody has their. Own chef not everybody can walk around with tupperware with all their chicken and turkey that's cooked up for them and, eat that, you know four or five times. A day so it's really important have some kind of additional food intake when you're on, the go and that's why we came up with our protein bites and so they're, super healthy plant, based protein, low calorie high protein again very easy. To digest if you're going to, you know take them before a sport or at halftime. Or postgame and and the timing of your food and takes important, as well in addition to what. You're eating so, you know if you're an athlete especially but, really anybody you don't really want to go more than four hours. WITHOUT eating i know people will, debate that but you start converting food. To fat if you go too long, without eating your body goes into. Starvation mode so you don't need to consume huge meals five times, a day but you do need to consume something to keep your body balanced and so that you have. Ongoing energy so that's why the protein bites can be, YOU know i eat them at least once or twice, a day usually before lunch. And dinner when you go through that, long stretch you start feeling, hypo glycium you can start getting tired if you're, in class if you're, at work you know that low ye hit in the middle of. The afternoon that's where they come in really handy. For Me but i've also substituted them for a dessert because they taste. Really GOOD but i mean that nutrition has always been important, to me, you know if we want to go, FURTHER back i think the time that was really a difficult time for me in terms of weight WAS when i Was In, little LEAGUE before i got moved to offense and. Defensive LINE because i was a. Big kid it wasn't, really FAT but i was a. BIG kid i got put on pretty Much the. ATKINS diet i was eating hot dogs and. Sour kraut THAT'S what i had for. All season and it, WAS crazy, i MEAN because i had to. Make weight AND then i remember my coach and family they'd all be waiting with like candy bars and all this other kind of delicious food after the, weigh in Because In pop warner you weigh in. Every week but by, that time you know you're so starving you can barely even. Eat candy it'll make your. Stomach ill and so after going through about a year and a half, OF that i remember my parents tried to use a little verse psychology, on me and, they said you, know what if you don't want to, make weight then go ahead eat whatever. You WANT and i took them at their WORD and i ATE whatever, i WANTED and i showed up about fifteen pounds overweight the next week and, my COACH who i think was Trying to jerry rig, the scale which it was. Just shocked, he's, like what the scale can't, be right and it.
Speaker 1: Was right.
Speaker 8: No matter there was no Amount of jerry rigging that scale that was going to get me to. Make weight SO then i was the kid who sat for the rest of. The season i'm on the sideline with my jersey turned inside OUT because i. COULDN'T play i played the last game of the season because they let all the heavy. Kids play it didn't, Make WEIGHT but i mean so even as an eight and nine, YEAR old i started to become aware of the FUEL that i put into, my BODY and i wanted to make sure we're. MOVING forward i continue to try to learn more and more about, proper nutrition and it becomes increasingly important the further you progress as. An athlete but it's really important. For everybody it affects. People's moods any parent knows that their kids right when they, act up they're usually, what tired they didn't get, enough sleep or they're hungry because they went too long without, eating well or they ate, you know bad foods that made their stomach Upset or today there's so many allergies, out there something that they had an. Intolerance too so it's always been important. For me it's important for, My, wife lisa who was a, college athlete it's important for.
Speaker 3: Our kids and the protein buites are mccaffree brands. Dot com if you guys want to get some, of these McCaffrey brands. Dot com and we appreciate. The stories thank you so much for your time and looking forward to watching the forty nine ers And. THE broncos, i mean both those teams are just in the mix. Right now, SO yeah i really appreciate, the TIME and i hope you have a great rest of.
Speaker 1: The, week well thank.
Speaker 8: You, All hey i'd be REMISS if. I didn't we also. Have mustard it's so different than. Protein BYTES when i was talking about all those lean turkey burgers and chicken SANDWICHES that. I had we started with this back in nineteen. Ninety Eight, King soupers safeway big partners. Of Ours Dick sporting goods has the protein bites in addition to going online at McCaffrey brands. Dot com and They're on amazon, as well so you can. Amazonmost everywhere we should. Be national then the next year or two you should be able to find it just.
Speaker 3: About anywhere if They're, on amazon, that's, National kid i'm getting.
Speaker 1: It, tomorrow yeah oh. They are i'm.
Speaker 4: Big, Mustard yeah i'm big. Mustard.
Speaker 1: Guy yeah, all, right ed thank you. Very much great rest of.
Speaker 8: The week.
Speaker 1: THANKS guys.
Speaker 4: I have another list.
Speaker 3: FOR you i have ranked if all the quarterbacks were my real, life FRIENDS who i would like to be, at one all the way down to.
Speaker 1: The, eighth oh this should actually be a. Great list at, number one he's number one on.
Speaker 4: BOTH lists I Have.
Speaker 1: Josh allen why because he is the only ONE that i have friends that are friends. WITH him i have multiple friends that have played In The tao golf tournament, with them that have played rounds, of golf and that, they're like he's the. Coolest dude he's. Very normal you would. Like, him so based off of, Friends recommendations i'm going To Put josh allen. At, One okay i'm totally fine.
Speaker 3: With that the only reason, Number Two, Kayleb, williams yes because he does not seem like your.
Speaker 1: Typical athlete he, likes art he likes. The arts he is an.
Speaker 4: ODD guy i.
Speaker 3: LIKE that I think i could go hang Out With. Kayla williams we'd probably either not get along at all or be totally in love with.
Speaker 4: Each other one of the two probably totally in Love each do you guys go On like scooter?
Speaker 1: Rides together absolutely go to an. Art gallery what's that hockey show called where the two guys? ARE gay i.
Speaker 3: Don't know it's a massive show, right now it'd be our version, of that that's, your version but straight, close enough, you know he.
Speaker 1: Says it really.
Speaker 4: Interesting guy even when you see him in, postgame interviews he's so thoughtful in. His answers he waits and he doesn't jump the gun. At all he thinks about what he's going, to say and then he says it in such a way that, you're, like wow it's. PRETTY profound i. Like it He.
Speaker 1: Did rivalry there, you go it's crushing.
Speaker 3: Right now He did rivalry two hockey guys and they are in a, gay relationship and a lot of athletes are apparently reaching out, to, them, Going hey i'm a.
Speaker 1: Closeted athlete, oh, yeah yeah Let's be CALEB. And, i yeah. We're closet we're never going to get him to come on. The, Show no i'm just saying we.
Speaker 4: Don't care we.
Speaker 1: DON'T care i people think. About it we live.
Speaker 3: Our, lives yeah we just live. Our lives, Next Up, Sam Donald, sam donald who can very. Private, GUY yeah i don't have to worry about hanging Out with sam and taking a bunch of selfies and posting them on.
Speaker 4: The internet we just go and live our lives and be private to. The beach you know those ARE two usc guys at two. And three, for you that's something In Coome bo Nicks at Poor. Bow knicks here's why talk to.
Speaker 3: Me daddy, His dad patrick was the head Coach At henderson STATE when i was THERE and i was calling a lot of, the games traveling around doing uh play?
Speaker 4: By play you called? The, games yeah you Never told did he ever bring? This up maybe not never once on this podcast if you told, ME play i. Don't think let's get in and let's start calling. GAMES together i used To like, netflix specials but we could say whatever the hell we want like that would be sick like we do here Kind.
Speaker 3: Of, YEAH yeah i, WOULD call i would do play by play AND then i would have color. At home but we couldn't afford a, travel TEAM so i would travel and do play by play and color you do.
Speaker 1: Them both i'd have to because we didn't have we can for.
Speaker 4: You're such a savage and that's Why your Hall of fame radio gods you live up in with thor in them.
Speaker 3: Up there, Fair enough i'll. ACCEPT it i have vot next at. Number four at, Number five i'm. Drake me, YOU know i feel like his Wife would maake have some pretty. Good stuff he seems non problematic. At all we could sit around watch. Some shows maybe he, did rivalry. WHO knows i.
Speaker 4: Love that that's what your your good time. Would be let's sit around watch. Some shows WHAT am i going?
Speaker 1: To do his wife will bake, For, us yes quite. A bit i just fits your, Personal, LIKE hey i don't really want to leave. MY house I don't i really want to see.
Speaker 4: Anybody ELSE if i like you enough to be able to sit and watch a show, with, you dude that's totally fine with.
Speaker 1: Me and eat some banana bread. Or, something yeah that'd.
Speaker 4: Be perfect.
Speaker 3: Banana brea at NUMBER SIX. C, J, Stroud, why yeah his dad's. IN prison a lot of my family's been in jail over. The years we could talk about.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Relatable, absolutely uh, You know i'm not A Big ohio. State guy be honest. With you you're Not a. Buck, guy no, not really you said Like a. BUCKEYE fan i think we both come from difficult BACKGROUNDS and i think we'd. Have that and he rose. Above it he did. For sure i'm still. Over here, Oh stop i'm trying right now at, Number Seven. Matthew stafford he's way down, the LIST and i know you know him and you. Love him anybody that doesn't go by mat matt and makes you Call. Him matthew that already feels a.
Speaker 4: Little weird you know what feels very fun when you play that long seventeen years and you've been doing it for, a while Call.
Speaker 3: Me matthew that's my that's my. Given name and, THEN also i don't want to like end up as some fodder on the. Watch podcast, That's fair.
Speaker 1: THAT'S fair i. See, that yeah but you, like him, love him. LOVE him i think he's one of the. Greatest.
Speaker 3: DUDES yeah i didn't give Him The josh allen TREATMENT because I knew castle.
Speaker 1: Loved, Him yeah so, You're like i'm.
Speaker 4: OVER whoever i.
Speaker 1: Am absolutely. Over him AND last I have. Brock party you just don't.
Speaker 4: Think you guys would.
Speaker 1: GET along i don't know about.
Speaker 3: Generational gap maybe a. Generational gap, He's, engaged yeah but it's like there are generational Gaps with Nicks And Drake May May May. Drake, may yeah but those guys are like twenty eight. Years old But, WITH purdy i don't know enough about him to. EVEN know i don't even have a bonding POINT because i, just like WHAT do i know?
Speaker 8: About?
Speaker 4: Him imediately, underdog story you guys. COULD immediately i think you'd sometimes say that you're an. Underdog story what do?
Speaker 1: You mean SOMETIMES say i am? The ultimate thank you saying you've got that.
Speaker 4: To doubt people want to. Doubt you people want to. Do this, They, maybe no you're going to overcome all the naysayers and you're going to go put yourself in a position to. Be successful that's why you two would get. Along great less, of friends do? You guys you should invite him over, for dinner all the group together and see who you really would get.
Speaker 3: Along with say does he, live here because a lot of those guys. LIVE here I heard purdy was actually moving here in the last. Off season he was looking. AT houses i don't even feel like it's like the weird. Rumor anymore if somebody Says that i'm, A gatherer i mean that's why. You, stayed yeah there's.
Speaker 4: So many guys that. ARE here I Mean jared allen who came on The. Show, road yeah way out, THERE right.
Speaker 3: I got his mail ones come on on. This street, huh oh, no, way, yeah yeah He's got he'll be coming back here soon to certain he did you hear the Story. About kettle he goes in and asks for a. Bottle tequila it's a. Pretty gangster that's when you know you're not. Coming back that's when.
Speaker 1: You know no during. The game no during.
Speaker 4: The game while he's, sitting there when he, found out like it's, an achilles, he's done like it all.
Speaker 1: SET in i don't know if he asked for one or if they just brought. Him one the owner brought.
Speaker 4: Him One nice and the fact that the owner, DID it i think makes it even. MORE gangster i changed that pick forty nine Ers. Over Seattle aaron.
Speaker 1: Rodgers is building a, house here if he's not.
Speaker 4: ALREADY here.
Speaker 1: I did hear that. As well but that's been.
Speaker 4: Going on somebody told me that three.
Speaker 1: Years ago the new neighborhood around here that.
Speaker 3: They've BEEN what i have heard is he bought, land, there yes and that neighborhood's not even fully, built yet not.
Speaker 1: AT all.
Speaker 4: I looked i went over there and looked, at somebody, you know your baller. Like, THAT no i went and looked at some of. The lots i'm always, YOU know i. ENTERTAINED myself, I go i go to open house on. Weekend food, i'm, like oh, you guys are got any crackers? And cheese let me have you guess serving champagne at this place? Right? Now anybody and you feed my. Kids too they got to check out the plus. SPOT too i want to make sure that they're comfortable in. THIS space i showed my wife your. Van today oh? You?
Speaker 3: Dead, YEAH yeah, i said look at That massive camo type green sprinter van. Out there she, was, like dang. That's cool who is? THAT'S huge, i, said yeah. It's castle just because he's got. Five, kids yeah THAT'S why i brought. It today i'm picking up.
Speaker 4: All five, i'm like and THE reason i specifically bring that vehicle is, quite frankly they get to spread out and they're not on top of. Each Other and i'm, telling you after school is the worst time a lot a lot of times for the kids because they've been good, all, Day right they're they're behaving. At school then all of a sudden they finally get in the car and they're just like and they're touching and they're, talking smack and somebody's mad.
Speaker 1: About this.
Speaker 4: Somebody's mad they're probably What did, i'd say predy and just had enough to get.
Speaker 8: They're, hungry, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah AND so i Get that van spread them all out a little bit more joy comes to. Our life on the, way Home, baller van, for sure you'll be there, soon enough, my friend take, us home give us one. Final topic, UH honestly i think we should end on that topic, right there because that was a.
Speaker 1: Solid topic mine, is, like.
Speaker 4: Well what did you have?
Speaker 1: Over there it wrote? Something, DOWN yeah i wrote.
Speaker 4: Something down but let's. Be honest this is like, football stuff which. That's entertaining mine, was like, you know Can the patriots offensive line hold up Against? The Texans will campbell? Came back oh, YEAH yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean Just Think? Will campbell huh how do? YOU play i think he played. Pretty, well yeah he's still coming, back around, but yeah he's still what his second.
Speaker 4: Game back is?
Speaker 1: He healthy he's. Still, rookie yeah he's. Getting, there no is, He healthy but it was healthy enough to come back out on, the FIELD so i guess. HE'S healthy, i mean he's a great option.
Speaker 4: To have and even when your first games back is in the playoffs against a, good team you're gonna have some plays that make you look a little. Bit foolish at the end of, the day consistency factor is going. To matter and the fact that he got his feet wet last week and now he goes into this week, probably stronger healthier and more ready to play will be a good thing For.
Speaker 3: The patriots is anybody healthy right now if you've played? All, season ooh that's a.
Speaker 4: Great question if, you are you probably didn't play that much and everybody's got their little knick knicks, and bumps bruises everything that you're. Dealing with some people are healthier. THAN others i do believe. The teams the biggest advantage for having. THE buy i always say this is you have a week to work on your body to get healthy to it's not so much your mind as it is, your body because that extra week actually really helps get your, team healthier especially the guys that were ON the cusp that might go might not if they get that extra week and they're say eighty five percent versus is fifty percent.
Speaker 3: Couldn't go that's a. Huge factor, final question how long you're gonna leave? The BEARD because i think it looks great.
Speaker 1: On, YOU yeah i.
Speaker 4: DON'T know i go back and forth because you know it's getting a ganging life where you see but do you see the?
Speaker 3: Little?
Speaker 1: Whites, no, no no you do because you look at yourself in the mirror. A. Lot no my wife came up and. Said whites my, wife says how about those blondes in. Your beard, i'm like you're just saying blonde because you know.
Speaker 4: They're, white, yeah yeah it's. A beard it's a few white that's. Good, Man yeah i'm not scared about. Rocking it the LAST time i actually grew out my beard even a lot bigger, than this it WAS. During covid and then my agent calls, And says fox wants you to do an interview for. Calling GAMES so i can't go to. The STUDIO we i set up a iPad in. My room is iPad or desktop or something. Like that in my bedroom and, he says they're going to, see you so you need to shave and. GET so i put on like a, little coat, button down shave my BEARD that i had going for like, two MONTHS and i thought looked. Pretty good at that point we. Get on they don't see me. AT all i just see the game FILM and i have one producer in this YEAR and i have the play by play in, this year, audio only, audio only shave. MY beard i had been growing this thing out for two MONTHS and i thought it. Looked dirty didn't see me. At all i'm dressed up, by myself, clean shaven with a, suit coat like a coat top on and a, button, down, thinking hey they might take a look in.
Speaker 3: The CAMERA maybe i can wow him. That way, no ovable, look good feel, good though, look good. Feel, GOOD yeah i would have cut the. BEARD though i had a guy onland. ON this i was doing a guest spot on a sports show this past weekend and one of the guys that was hosting the show was Based In kansas city and they asked. About you, they Said How's matt? Castle doing is he still great looking? And charismatic that was. His question it was, an nice great looking, you're, like well he's aged a.
Speaker 1: LITTLE bit i. DID not, i said he's even better looking and more charismatic than you would even know. In person what what was?
Speaker 3: This for it was A west Wood one national sports SHOW that i was just asked me to be, a guest and the guy Was in.
Speaker 1: Kansa city he, led With Is matt castle still great looking? And charismatic what a? NICE guy i guess he remembers You In? Kansas?
Speaker 4: City, yeah yeah being great looking here. Looking, Charismatic yeah well, TELL him, I, SAID hi.
Speaker 1: I can't i'm already.
Speaker 4: Finished. IT yeah i he'll call, you, again though, all right he'll call. You again.
Speaker 1: We're done, Thank you, Ed McCaffrey thank You To. Matt castle thank You to Drake.
Speaker 6: May may Thank.
Speaker 4: You Kevin I'm bobby bones and we will see you guys. Next.
Speaker 3: Week.
Speaker 8: Bye brother.
Speaker 1: Lots to Say With bobby Bones And matt castle is a production OF the Nfl And. iHeart podcasts for more Podcasts From, iHeart radio Visit the, iHeartRadio App, apple podcasts or wherever you get. Your podcasts