Speaker 1: God record, bring me in here. We will see you.
Speaker 2: To the corner.
Speaker 3: Welcome and hang out.
Speaker 2: All right, the Just Baseball Show is officially live.
Speaker 4: And because Peyton Genis isn't here, I forgot to fire off the YouTube intro, So very sorry about that. We're a flying solo. Jack mcmull and arm Late in here with you. Thank you so much for joining us wherever you may be taking in this podcast live on X Live on YouTube, archiped on YouTube archivee on X for you weird.
Speaker 2: People to do that.
Speaker 4: Also on audio on Spotify or Apple podcasts. We are very excited to sort of kind of do a playing GM. We're going to go semi rapid fire. The plan is roughly eight ish minutes on each team. Some teams will take five minutes, some teams will take ten. But we are going to walk you through each buyer in the American League and then tomorrow is going to be each buyer in the National League, and we're going to talk about a possible wish list, Like I have my wish list concocted for all of these teams in the American League what it could look like with their deadline, and we can just kind of workshop, like what that may take arm.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited for this one. As always, it's.
Speaker 4: Presented by bet MGM, another reminder to make it legendary with our friends at bet MGM. But deadline time is upon us. I feel like every single episode this week is going to be some former fashion talking deadline and trade market because that's how baseball media operate to the end of July.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and it seems to be what everybody wants as well, So we're always shop and just the best ways to go through it, and I think this is gonna be a fun way to do that where we can go through all the teams, discuss what they need, highlight some thoughts, but also not go not be up against it to where some of the moves might already be happening.
Speaker 5: So I think we found a good balance here.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm excited because this is I think and we're always like prisoners in the moment. But I'm trying to think back to say these Even just as long as I've been talking about the trade deadline, I don't think there's been a deadline where teams have needed to be more creative, and I don't think it has anything to do with the lockout. It's just a weird scarcity of rental bats and a lot of teams that that need bats. And I think that combination, paired with some teams that also have a little bit of more controllable pitching that need bats, like, I think you're gonna just have a very unique deadline that is going to come with control being traded for control, and I just we don't see that all that often.
Speaker 4: The other big one is twenty three teams are and I'm air quoting in it, there are twenty three teams that are effectively within four and a half five games of a wild card berth right now, and historically speaking in recent memory, that has kind of signified in it. Right if you're within five games of a wild card berth, you're in the hunt. Twenty three of the thirty fit that criteria right now, So that eliminates the true sellers here, or I guess like that limits the number of true sellers.
Speaker 2: So now you've.
Speaker 4: Got teams that could be somewhat sort of kind of in it, that are turning in a soft cell.
Speaker 2: And it's like, well, why did this happen?
Speaker 4: Because there are twenty three teams that are vying for what twelve spots in the postseason.
Speaker 2: That's tough, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, even in the that we've been we've been making so much of the American League side, the National League side's a little bit of a cutter now all of a sudden, too, where it's just you don't have to be very good to be in the hunt. And I think that aspect of it too. Now you've got an both sides where and this is the expanded playoff conversation, which I think there's clearly pros and cons, but do you've got basically half the league reasonably in it? I mean, even with the Marlins ridiculous losing streak, they're two games out right so and ahead of them is the Padres game and a half Cardinals game and a half.
Speaker 5: So on the National League side, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: And then we've talked all year about the American League side and just how wide open that is as well. But all of a sudden, like both leagues are becoming kind of comparable in terms of how the standings look because some of these American Leagues teams have picked up and some of the National League teams have slown down.
Speaker 4: A lot of people are quick to call this a seller's market because there are not many sellers, and it just kind of kicked up this galaxy brain thought for me that like last year we called it a seller's market, and the year before that we called it a seller's market. Since the wildcard expansion, it's been a seller's market every year. So as you expand a wild card, there's going to be more of a seller's market. Sellers in turn will get better prospect return and then those guys will start to get to the big leagues here in about five years, three four, five years and they will start to enter winning windows. It's good for parody in Major League Baseball to have a seller's market every single trade deadline, and it feels like inherently even in the off season, the trade market is almost always now again with the expanded playoff, a seller's market.
Speaker 3: Well, especially in the world that we've kind of seen now where prospects are so valuable. Control is so valuable that I mean Baseball America and JJ Cooper's done a great job of highlighting this, Like top one hundred prospects were getting traded less and they still are getting traded less frequently and less frequently and less frequently, and a way to maybe stoke that flame a little bit and get bigger prospects moved is for it to be a seller's market, right where you have a bidding war and you have a situation where teams have to try to outdo each other. And so I think that's where it's going to be fascinating to see this deadline. But I think you combine all those things with the fact that there's not I was thinking about who are the best rental bats. You go Luisa Rise and you're like, uh.
Speaker 5: Taylor Ward, I don't know.
Speaker 3: So that's where it becomes really fascinating, and I think we're going to see some very creative trades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. Man, I am excited to go through this. And again we're going to go team by team. We're going to shoot for about eight minutes ish per team, but again, some may go short, some may naturally go long. We're going to start with the American League East. I'm gonna give you a rundown of all the teams that we're going to talk about. We'll start Yankees, We'll go Yankees, Rays, Red Sox, and then we'll kick it over to the Central for the White Sox and the Guardians, and then we'll kick it over to the Al West for Rangers and Mariners. We're not going to talk about the Astros. We're not going to talk about the Twins and the Tigers. Those are kind of like the notable omissions from this group. But these are all of the firm buyers as we sit here and talk on Tuesday, July twenty eighth. So without further ado, let's kick start the New York Yankee conversation right now. And the New York Yankees, as it currently stands, sit too in and out half back of the Tampa Bay Rays atop the American League East, and as it pertains to the American League wild card standings, they hold the top spot. They're six and a half games clear of the final spot at sixty and forty six. They're fourteen over five hundred. Cleveland currently occupies the last spot of the American League wild card picture. They are a game over five hundred, so again the bottom spot is fifty four and fifty three. The Yankees hold the top wild card spot at sixty and forty six. The Yankees do a lot of things really well. In particular, their bullpen is the best in baseball by Bullpenny al Raight. Their rotation looks awesome in October ready, but they haven't had Judge for a long time, and they haven't had John Carlos Stanton for a long time. And they won't have Bellinger for four to six weeks now with the hamstring issues. So there's a lot kind of going awry for the New York Yankees as it stands at this moment. And I also think it'd be pertinent before we get into any Yankee conversation. I want to flash these two real quick, because they could hunt a bullpen arm, they may not. I just want to highlight that the bullpen arms are usually almost always the ones that are most dealt at the deadline.
Speaker 2: We've got kind of like.
Speaker 4: Your big four lefty relievers, your big five lefty relievers Morohone, Mentor, Rayley Lynch and Ferguson, and then your big five righty relievers. Mason Miller's a conversation in and of itself, Luke Weaver, Wasscar bros Upon, Kirby Yates, and Colin Holderman. So just wanted to flash that real quick. But when you think New York Yankees, What do you deem to be the priority in terms of.
Speaker 3: Going to get just hitting bats. It's just wild because and I think you look at third base in particular. I think that's the position that we've heard Peter talk a lot about. But now you start to look at corner outfield even too, just because it's just DH corner outfield, whatever you can get. But it's one of those where I guess at least you can DH. Rice Goldie's going to play first base regularly, So it just all kind of drives you right back to third base because at the end of the day, anybody that you acquire for corner Raffie it once to Judge is back, and your your season's kind of hinging on Judge being back. It's going to be fascinating to just see how they handle that. But I think it's it's third base. And then you could say shortstop, like I think you can piece it together at shortstop. Anthony Volpi's been fine.
Speaker 2: I just been fine.
Speaker 3: I don't he dropped a fly ball yesterday. I feel like you just only see the bad things. He's one point two four at one point one b war He's basically a league average hitter at shortstop, that's fine, that's littally, it's fine, can be.
Speaker 5: Value on the base pass, whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: I go to third base, where it's just they already have a fair amount of like whiff and you just have the worst version of your left handed whiff guy.
Speaker 5: And you go to catcher.
Speaker 3: I mean, Austin Wells has been horrible, horrible, and you know, I don't know if you need to acquire a super controllable guy, because I think you're still hoping that Wells can be better next year. But I think you gotta find someone that can help you through there, because I just look at the eight to nine spot in the lineup right now, when it's like McMahon well however they want to structure the lineup, but you have two spots there that are just gaping holes because right now corner outfield it's going to be stop gapped until you know, you get judged back and then of course you know belly as well.
Speaker 4: I was very boring with my wish list, to be honest with you, So again I've got a wish list for all of these teams, and I'll show you who's on my wish list. But I didn't have a third baseman. Third basement is naturally going to be a bit bigger of a swing for the Yankees than the catching position.
Speaker 2: But I'm with you. The catching position jumps out to me at short.
Speaker 4: You feel okay about Cabayiro and Volpi kind of being the time buyer until George Lombard is ready to go. But you've got effectively four platoon spots in this lineup. Spencer Jones will likely make way for Max Schuman at any point on a given day. Ryan McMahon is going to make way for a med Rassario on a given day. Austin Wells is going to make way for Ali Sanchez on a given day. And I'll tell you that Austin Wells Ali Sanchez catching platoon is not awesome right now, So good, let me post your two names to possibly get your brain turning on.
Speaker 2: There is a big ticket wish.
Speaker 4: And we'll see what Minnesota wants to do, and then there's a realistic wish and we know what Cincinnati wants to do. But the two guys on my wish list, I just want one of them, Ryan Jeffers from the Minnesota Twins or Tyler Stevenson from the Cincinnati Reds. Tyler Stevenson is the chalky one that will be available and way way cheaper than Ryan Jeffers.
Speaker 2: But Jeffers has.
Speaker 4: Been awesome and Minnesota has one of the better offenses in the American League so far this year. So when you see these two names, do you want to swing big and try and pry Jeffers away or do you want Tyler Stevenson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would want to swing a little bit bigger because you're the Yankees, and I know, like there's a case I got this team's flawed, blah blah blah, like it may not.
Speaker 5: Be the year that they're gonna make this.
Speaker 3: Running fourteen games over five hundred, you're still been holding served over the last ten after getting through that kind of rough patch, and you ad Jeffers to the team that ultimately, yes, you're gonna need Judge back to reach your ceiling. But we had Jeffer's bat to the fold there. It's not just what he would bring to that lineup with what he's been offensively, that the uptick that you would get value wise from being one of the worst offensive catching tandems to a guy that has a one sixty WRC plus seria, like, even if he doesn't maintain that, if he regresses to roughly his career average of one to twelve the rest of the way, it's gonna be great. It's gonna it's gonna be a huge it's gonna be fifty percent better than what you've had. And I think if it we learned to anything last year, even with bats performing like this, and catchers are different, I guess a little bit tougher because you don't see it rental catchers traded as often. But I think the cost for rental bat tends to be cheaper than we think, Like the Yankees don't need to part with one of their top top guys, and what do the Yankees typically have more of an abundance of its pitching prospects. The Twins, I still think, are gonna want more pitching throughout that system. So I think the Twins are kind of one of those like strategic teams that isn't gonna fully fully sell.
Speaker 5: But it seems like.
Speaker 3: Jeffers is kind of that inevitable, got a cash in kind of guy. And if you get offered a couple quality pitching projects, which Yankees have plenty of, I think it would be hard to pass on that, and I think that's where I'm swinging for the fences with Jeffers, because this offense needs more than a Tyler Stevenson. It needs a real Choltz, especially to hold them down until you know Judge gets back.
Speaker 4: The other thing that jumps out about the Stevenson thing, which makes it slightly more intriguing, is you could probably get Stevenson and a reliever. And yeah, Yankees are of the best bullpen in baseball era wise, but Brent Hendrick has been amazing as Brent Hedrick proved himself in the postseason.
Speaker 2: No, not yet. You could use another lefty reliever.
Speaker 4: That's where a guy like Caleb Ferguson could get attached, or a guy like Antone could get attached if you just want more iron than the fire in the bullpen. But with a guy like Jeffers, it's just an objectively better player. And he's hitting two ninety with a four hundred OVP and a nine to thirty oh ps. He's been ridiculous in forty six games so far this year.
Speaker 2: So I like the.
Speaker 4: Jeffers fit and I'm with you man, like if it's your fifth sixth best starting pitching prospect in the organization. You feel pretty decent about doing that if it is your World Series push and you can run Jeffers out there along with Austin Wells.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna jokingly flow like, well, well, maybe they bring Jse Travino home, But it makes no sense for the Rets because that's gonna be the guy that's gonna be probably their primary catcher next year.
Speaker 4: They already extended him Terenz type extensions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and hold it down until they get Duno back.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think you aim a little bit higher, especially with the aggression that they're gonna have rental bat's still not gonna cost that much. You go try to convert pitching. It's a good trade fit with the Twins, and you make that happen. But I do like the idea because Twins can't attach a bullpen arm and won't want to. They don't want to fully give up this season. The Reds could have the appeal of at least being able to attach a bullpen arm, But I think being able to go get a bat that can make a bigger impact for you might end up being the appeal.
Speaker 5: With Jeffers, the.
Speaker 4: Other one is third base, and the way that you can galaxy brain the third base market is kind of a trickle down effect, Like everybody's looking at Matt Chapman. Who's going to take on the Matt Chapman money if he does go anywhere from San Francisco. Could be the Yankees could be Philly if they're looking for a vibe change here, and the trade return would be a lot less impactful for a guy like Alec Bohm if Philly were to go get Chapman and then Bohm becomes very available. Like I'm just wondering how third base could kind of materialize for the Yankees. Another guy like and this is not shooting for the stars whatsoever, because he has an ops under five hundred this year, but Kee Brian Hayes is back healthy for Cincinnati. His dad, Charlie, was a Yankee for a little bit of time, right, Like, maybe that's that change of scenery and it would literally cost you nothing and you would just be taking on the money. But they already sunk money with Ryan McMahon, So it was it was like an intrusive thought that made its way out of the podcast. And I'm not saying they should do it. But my thought is like Chapman were boom depending on how Philly operates.
Speaker 3: To the Chapman path, I think makes a lot of sense if the Yankees aren't totally off put by the money. There one other sneaky shout that I think would be fascinating because they're a good match, would be the Cubs. Matt Shaw, assuming he's healthy, can play third for you. But at the same time, if you want to go upgrade. What I like about a Matt Shaw addition is he on top of the control, he doesn't handcuff you from like being able to go make other moves because you can play him anywhere. He's very, very versatile, and the Yankees love those kind of super utility types. Is like a Will Warren and I don't know who needs to add whatever it may be, but with the Cubs need for pitching like Will Warren would be a godsend for them and Matt Shaw could fit. Maybe maybe there needs to be a little bit tacked onto Shaw with the injury, you know, and just still kind of waiting to see him prove it. Warren's been really good this year, but I don't know it. Could there be something matched up there. That makes sense because that would be a huge upgrade for them. I just think in general at the hot corner, Warren still being pre arbed this year, I'd imagine they'd have to tack on a little bit more of the Cubs, but could be an interesting swap.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if that this Yankee codd necessarily.
Speaker 4: I've actually got a I've got a shot coming up, a shot conversation coming up a little bit later on in the program, A lot of people saying, please take Hayes, how about Mike. I can hear Yankees fans throwing their phones so that Hayes suggested another one loyal viewer Uncle Ted. This was a name that cross my mind too. I'd try to steal Kyle Carros. I think Kyle Carros has a lot of value for the Colorado Rockies. But if the Yankees are willing to pay the price, you're shaking your head. You don't think Kyle Carross.
Speaker 3: I just don't know if they'll trade them, but yeah, I mean i'd try, I'd absolutely try.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was like a name that jumped to the forefront of my mind. And the first Rocky third Basement didn't work, But the second, Rocky third basement might work. So I don't know, Man, it's really interesting with the Yankees. But let's send in Jeffers and then you want to send in what Chapman as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say Jeffers and Chapman are the best fits, you know, And then I think for the lower by low opportunity of like a match Shaw, I think Cubs fans are going to a little bit over value.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing the comments like, no.
Speaker 3: Rrem Cubs fans would want a much better level pitcher than Warren for Shaw. Seriously, Match Shaw is a career so far, ninety six WRC plus at the big league level. I think he's a good player, but you know, there's something to be said also about a guy that can just go out and compete and give you anyings away. Warren Ken I think he's better than the era suggests, and I think there's a lot of underlying yeah numbers to buy that, but regardlessly, I think those are the two best options for them to send in and give him the highest ceiling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: I want to pivot to a team that I think could be a very big swinger based on reports at this deadline here the Tampa Bay race. When you take a peek at what Tampa is doing in the American League East, they're clear the Yankees by two and a half games. They're sixty two and forty three, nineteen over five hundred. They just put on a pitching clinic against an anemic offense in Cleveland this weekend. Rasmussen looks like a cy young contender. Nick Martinez looks like the All Star that he deserved to be. And the Tampa Bay Rays again sit atop the American League. There's sixty two and forty three. Mind you, the bottom wild card team is fifty four and fifty three, so they are a shoe in. The Tampa Bay Rays are to get to the postseason, and it's just a matter of if they can run through the tape on that one. So the Tampa Bay Rays, let's open up this conversation again. I think they're swinging big. What does swinging big look like? Guys that swing right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think so. And you look at the lineup. It's still kind of wild that. I mean, they've got their their three headed monster at the top we talk about, but you look at the rest of the lineup, I'm so happy for Victor Mason Junior, by the way, and the success that he's having over there and getting the opportunity that he's.
Speaker 5: Had with the Rays.
Speaker 3: He's been awesome for you, one hundred and thirty played appearances. But you look at it's like Mullins to Chandler Simpson to Mesa to Walls to Pelasius to Fiducia, and this is one of the best teams in baseball.
Speaker 5: So imagine what this team could be with some better offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's lengthen it out. You want to see my wish list or too soon, let's see it. Okay, my wish list for Tampa. Luisa Rise, I think is the shoe in and then Lars Newbar is going to be on the go man from Saint Louis. I like the idea of a Rise playing second for them and spelling Pelasio's and Williamson. And then I love the idea of Newt Bar manning an outfield spot. And Victor Mason Junior has been better than anybody expected. Cedric Mullins has not been good. Masa could probably plug it in center. Newt Bar can then play a corner. There's a lot of different ways that newt Bar can fit in. Defensively, a Rise can play second. He's been really good there. I think this totally lengthens out their lineup.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and I think new Bar makes a lot of sense for the Cardinals to move. I just yeah, at this point already in r do you have a lot of young guys you want to.
Speaker 5: Clear some space.
Speaker 3: He's been good and also Newport is just the classic like we've been waiting for the breakout, breakout. But at the same time, he's played five hundred and seventy big league games at a one to ten WRC plus, which is solid. But that's the classic guy that gets to Tampa and then there it is. There's the breakout that all the underlying metrics and people have been pointing to for forever. So I think that's a good shout. My one question is do they need to get a little bit more right handed?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: They do offset the left handed heavy lineup with an alrighty bench at this current moment, but do they need to get more right I think at the end of the day, when your offense is you know this top heavy, any bats or any bats and like a Rise to me, I know he's better against righties, but to me, he's not as much of a platoon concern because he's going to give you a good at bat most of the time. Right, But do they need a righty in the fold? Is my only question?
Speaker 4: So can I tell you I actually like their lineup against lefties better than their lineup against Righty's right now, because you're going to have common air and YONDI and Ronda. But I think Vlaid is an upgrade as a short end of the platoon guy, and I think De Luca is an upgrade as a short laton.
Speaker 5: So those guys are are playing well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Like Vlaid in one hundred and seventy five played appearances is ripping off a one to twenty WRC plus and De Luca's got a one oh two WRC plus. So I'm looking at them and it's like, Okay, you get better against lefties now, So you tell me you get an everyday bat and a rise and then a bulk platoon guy in nootbar effectively who could play against lefties if you want. I feel better about what they run out against left hind pitching already, So let's just kick Righty's ass with a Rise in Nutbar.
Speaker 3: I prefer I prefer Rise one other shout because it seems like money isn't going to handcuff this team as much as it usually does. Glaber Torres is not going to cost a lot in terms of a prospect return because he's a QO guy, so he's going to be able a good chunk of change the rest of the year. I don't think you have to give the Tigers a ton there to be able to bring Glabor in.
Speaker 5: Glabor could be a fun.
Speaker 3: Right handed bat to add to the fold here as well at second base. I would prefer a Rise and everything that he's done, but I think Labor is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 4: The big conversation here, and again I was realistic in my wish list. The big conversation is, are they the team to go get school bl they have the assets to do it. Are they a team that goes and you know, thinks about a Freddie Peralta or even a Debt Mers or even a Jose Soriano guys like that, Hell, even a Joe Ryant like they can go big fish hunting on the starting pitching fronts. Their October rotation looks good right now. They can put it over the top with a rental school bawl. Yeah, they can get it close to being over the top with Peralta if he bounces back. School Bull and Tampa is the interesting fit.
Speaker 3: I it's the one I can't escape because they can make that rental trade that doesn't hurt as much as it hurts another team. And I think they can, you know, make it work a way that like they preserve the farm sull like Ian Seymour could be a piece plus you know some really quality prospects as well, right and like, but.
Speaker 4: I brought up with Peter on the round up, I was like, when they go opener in front of Ian Seymour as the bookman, they just win.
Speaker 2: Shit, that could be a playoff start. They might just win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing that that might just be their their method there. But what what Schooble would do to this team, like in the playoffs with what you would have there, it would just be ridiculous with with Scooball, McClanahan, Rasmussen and then you could have if you know, Martinez and on a short lease if you want, in the playoffs or Jack so like you could you could mix and match however you want, and then the bullpen as well. I think this is the team and this is the time to do it. Like we've talked about it with the Brewers and the Rays and whatever it may be. But this is the time to do it. And I think like new ownership earns goodwill with with these fans and easier trying to build the stadium, do all these different things, Like this is the way to do it. Tampa's been overdue for a off on. This is a team that very much I think is capable of doing it. And you have a healthy McClanahan that you've been clamoring for for so long, Like this could be a special year, like do something, do something bold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Schooble would probably cost you to top one hundred guys and they have those that exist, Like you wonder what they would have to give up for a guy like Tarrek School What do you think a package could look like? And again we're not putting packages together, but like they have one of the best systems in Major League Baseball. They've got plenty of top one hundred talents, they've got plenty of top two hundred talents in Major League Baseball, or in minor league baseball as well. So I'm just curious, like, if you get across the ticker the Tampa Bay Rays have acquired Tarrek Schooble for the Tigers, what does the return possibly look like?
Speaker 3: Well, and these are the craziest part too, is is they just crushed the draft where obviously they had the number two pick and they got Grady Emerson, who I think is arguably the best player in the class. But they also at the buzzer signed two overswat kids to just turn this into one of the more ridiculous classes we've seen, you know, from this year.
Speaker 5: So they have so much more talent coming in.
Speaker 3: So just knowing that, I think it would like I think people will be a little surprised because it's not going to be like the mega, mega Hall that he would imply. But I think like if it's Brody Hopkins and similar to what we actually saw pitch from Hembo, like Brody Hopkins and Cooper Fleming, and you know you throw in a filler like those are two top one hundred guys for US. Brody Hopkins is the highest ceiling as anybody in minor league baseball pitching glass. It's just a matter of the walks that are a major, major issue. But I still think would be a guy that's fascinating to add to the fold and close to big Leg Reddy depending on the role that you want to you.
Speaker 5: Know, deploy him in.
Speaker 3: But it also depends on what the tiger's like, Like Taton Gray looks like a monster. They switch hitting eighteen year old showing plus power already at low a like that could be a guy that they like. You can interchange a lot of different players for that role if they trade away from from the outfield, like could Jake A Melton be of interest to them as well? They've so many different plug and play options. I don't know if they want to catching prospect obviously because they have Dingler, but like Bodie and Fowelling are two of the best now all of a sudden, you know, in the minor leagues, they could do whatever they want. But I think it's you know, one solid top one hundred guy, one of the like Fringy depending on who you asked, top one hundred guys, and a filler, and I think it gets it done.
Speaker 4: And you can still go and get some bats as well. A rise do you think like a rise for a Ty Johnson type straight up would make sense.
Speaker 3: A rise is a hard one for me to value because rental bats again always go for less than we think. But he's like the only rental back at that capacity. But I think, yeah, Ty Johnson and somebody else with the way Johnson's throwing the ball this year, if it's like Johnson and Santiago Suarez or something like, it could work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then neot Bar, like you could do neot Bar as well.
Speaker 4: But if they go and get schoobl and a Rise, that's enough for me for Tampa to be a legit World Series contender.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent. And that's what's again.
Speaker 3: Where if it's like Seymour plus you know, Fleming in a third piece like, it depends on how the Tigers value seem more. But the way he's throwing the ball, he's been really impressive. The Rays can mix and match and pull off a deal. I think in a lot of different ways that would be appealing to the Tigers because I think they've got seven top one hundred caliber guys and then several controllable guys of the big league team.
Speaker 4: One more big dog in the American League East that we got to talk about in a moment, but before that, first time we hear from peanuts.
Speaker 3: The best power hitters in the game pride themselves on swinging hard and maximizing exit velocity, and they can't do that without muscle. Hampton Farms in shell peanuts are a great source of protein, with seven grams in every serving, America's number one brand of in shell peanuts gives you the fuel and strength you need to attack your day like the pros. Hampton Farms peanuts fun to crack, better to eat. Find a bag in your produce atile or take twenty five percent off online at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 2: Let's talk Boston Red Sox.
Speaker 4: The Boston Red Sox were out of it, and then they rattle off fifteen consecutive wins and then they're in it. And the Boston Red Sox as it sits right now in the scope of the American League East, are seven back, and they are two back in the final wildcard spot. They are fifty five and fifty part and they're too clear of the final wildcard spot. They hold the second spot they are again fifty five and fifty. Final spot belongs to Cleveland at fifty four and fifty three. Boston Red Sox have been one of the hottest teams in Major League Baseball so far this year. They have done so many things particularly well, and there are so many different assets of the team that have been performing to a place to get them to being the hottest team in baseball. And what I mean by that lineup wise, Wilson Contreras has been unbelievable. They have some other guys that have been ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Will Y R.
Speaker 4: Bray You has been amazing during this stretch. Rafaela has been awesome pretty much all season long. Caleb Durbin has turned it on over the last two months here after having a brutal front two months to his Red Sox career. Rotation wise, totally's been great. Sonny Gray has been great. I know it is a blip on the radar his last time out, but then you also have a guy like Jake Bennett emerged the point where you feel comfortable trading Connie Early who's on the shelf for Curtis Meat. They kick started the deadline already going to get Mead from Washington for Connolly early, but in the bullpen Man Chapman and Whitlock are disgusting, and they've got other guys that have been performing incredibly well. Weissert's been good as of late. Giovanni Moran has been good as of late. The Red Socks are a fascinating story, and the job security, I guess of Craig Breslow is the thing that's always looming. And you mentioned it actually on the call up, what a playoff run would do for Craig Breslo and his future with the Boston Red Sox. So do you view this as an opportunity for them to go big fish hunting?
Speaker 5: I think I think they've I feel like they probably got it.
Speaker 3: Sounds as crazy as it sounds like a big fish to a degree, like I think the deadline in the way that it shakes out. Sometimes you just the deals don't materialize the way that you want and you don't want to overpay our panic at the buzzer. And I think where Brezelo just set himself up now is like I think they're going to try to push and make some moves, but they're not going to overplay their hand because they know that at least they got that right handed bat they sorely needed and Curtis meats. So I think because of what we talked about on the call up, like they're going to try to make a push for some other guys, Like I think they're far from done, because I think Brezelos is an opportunity here, and it's like a guy that was I mean, they had to clarify that they weren't going to fire him a couple of months ago, and you know that was like, oh okay, and now it's here's an opportunity for this guy to provey. Optics were not great, communication not great, but I know how to build a team. We got off to a bad start. I fixed it, look and that's going to be a hard argument to count if they make a little bit of a run here. So I think the glaring spot though, which we've talked about a shortstop, and it's not like shortstop gets clearly better anytime soon. I think Marcela Meyer is a guy that has the potential, but I've always been a little bit lower on as a prospect, and the biggest thing on top of my concern about the approach and with is health. And this has been dated back since he was a prospect. He's always been hurt so and story is, you can't really count on him obviously. So that's the spot where I think, if you can get a controllable shortstop, you can swing for the fences there, because it's not just for this year, it's for next year too. But at the same time they have arguably, you know, there's all of a sudden it's becoming an argument that Franklin Aarius could be the best shortsop prospect in baseball.
Speaker 5: It's Tasers my day.
Speaker 3: But like I wouldn't fault anybody for saying it's Franklinarius and so like that that's a hard part too.
Speaker 5: Do you want to block that kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is the time for a hard conversation if you're ready to push the chips in and get three and a half or four and a half years of control of a certain star shortstop, if you do go make that move.
Speaker 2: My wish list here, one of them is kind of boring.
Speaker 4: I would like to add another lefty to the bullpen as well, and just set up like this three headed bullpen lefty monster, where Chapman's the closer He's going to throw the ninth inning. But in lefty situations, I'd like someone a little bit more sure handed than Giovanni Morin because this is a bit of a breakout for him. So before I show you the actual image for our YouTube and X audience, right now, Brooks Raley is the guy that I would like to just add. I mean, they grab the guy in Steven Matts, who was really good for them after the deadline, mind you last year before signing as a starting pitcher with the Tampa Bay Rays. But the other guy that I want to go get is Neto. I would love to see zach Netto put on a Boston Red Sox uniform at the end of this trade deadline. Here zach Netto is pacing the American League in strikeouts. Right now, zach Netto, playing his fourth major league season on a per one sixty two basis, is a five win shortstop, averaging thirty five doubles, twenty six homers, and twenty five stolen bases with a seven to sixty oh ps.
Speaker 3: I think Neto could be special in Boston. Oh yeah, it would cost the biggest thing. So if you're that's the I think you'd cost a lot. We know that the defense is the interesting wrinkle as well. But at the end of the day, like this could be a guy that they look at and say, well, we could eventually sign him over to third, you know, and don't have to necessarily for sure block Arrius forever.
Speaker 5: Like that could be a conversation that's had later.
Speaker 3: Uh Neto is one where you think about how he would play at Fenway and it would be really interesting.
Speaker 5: My concern is.
Speaker 3: It's gonna cost a lot and will that potentially get them out of their comfort zone a little bit for what it may require to go get you know, somebody like him. But at the same time, like they still the Red SUCs still have pitching that they could trade from which I know the Angels would still love to add, and some solid pieces as well, Like I mean, Anthony Iinson has become one of the more popular pitching prospects in baseball with the way that he has, you know, immediately made an impact and had success now and into the upper levels.
Speaker 5: And they have all these.
Speaker 3: Even big league debuted type of arms already that could jump in and help them. And you could, you could pay down Brian Beayo, and you could you could put together a package that just is very angels intriguing for them, and give them current big league pieces, top prospects, and just make it, make it fascinating. I even look at like in an Eduardo Rivera, like, all of a sudden, that guy I think has trade value. So you could piece together some really fun packages headlined by top prospects but complimented by you know, some some really solid players. My thing to you, though, Jack, is like, are you trading Arius in a deal for Netto? And I know, like I'm mister prospect guy, gonna value those guys whatever. But I feel like I've, especially over the last few years, like kind of skewed towards just cash in, cash in. We're begging the top teams to do that. Arius has a burned potential, meaning like what he could be. That makes it hard.
Speaker 4: It's hard to find a twenty five homer shortstop, like it really is, and Arius could be that guy. He's got nineteen homers in the minor leagues this year, but he could be that guy.
Speaker 2: We know.
Speaker 4: Neto is that guy. He's pacing for his third straight year of twenty five homers in his third straight full season, and Neto. You mentioned the defense is taking a downturn. At the end of the day, it's still a three B war season already for him in one hundred and four games.
Speaker 2: And he's twenty five years old.
Speaker 4: You have to think that it's a blip in the radar because he's been a good defender each of the last two years. Like, if Neto sex defensively next year, that's just a like, I don't know, I guess, I guess that's unfortunate, and that could be like the new reality. But this is at this point the anomaly season for Zach Netto and he's still possibly pacing for a twenty five to twenty five season.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of value in that.
Speaker 4: And if Neto were twenty nine years old, I would think maybe not, But he's twenty five, and he's twenty five for the entirety of this year, and again he's got three and a half more.
Speaker 2: Years of control here. So it does cost for a guy like Netto.
Speaker 4: It probably does cost a top ten to top fifteen prospect in Major League Baseball, and Arius is top five for you. But I would be really curious to see if they were willing to do it. Arius is a hell of a prospect. He's probably not to the level that Leo Devrees is, but it was Derees and Branden Net and Bias right like and another guy. So I'm just wondering if Arius and the thirty first best prospect in the system could get them Neto.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the interesting thing is, and it's a good point.
Speaker 3: By showtime, like Netto's punching more than ever and chasing more than everybody, he's still producing.
Speaker 5: So it's that's the very fascinating part of it.
Speaker 3: I think at this point now Arius is arguably maybe even better prospect than Debris. So that's what makes it really just because of what he's done defensively and power wise to where I think I think I lean that way. If you're split in one A one B or two A two B, I guess it would be in this respect sure. I think the interesting part of it though, is that you could probably pull this trade off without doing that in the aggregate of just total value. If you blow the Angels away with pitching and like a send Marcelo higher, then like send others some some high upside options for them where they that were the Angels, they just need talent.
Speaker 5: You can become a top.
Speaker 2: I'll still do it without Arius. Yeah, you could.
Speaker 5: You could try really hard.
Speaker 3: And I think if it's Ironsin, which is a headliner pitching prospect, and you've got Meyer and you know, Justin Gonzalez, I thought, like, there's so many different guys that they could be together in there.
Speaker 5: I think it would be really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so too. Are there any other names that jump to the forefront of your mind? Like, again, Rayley could just be another bullpen iron In the Fiery, Yeah, that could be cool too. Doesn't really matter to me.
Speaker 3: I just think that I would love to see them add you know that like that. But if they don't, I just I don't know if there's like a middle ground for that, Like I don't. I think they're just kind of then roll with with what they've got, add to the bullpen a little bit and hope that Curtis Meat can be that big guy for them, because otherwise it's hard to like, who's going to be your stop gap shortstop in the meantime, I think at that point, you're just hoping that story comes back and does.
Speaker 4: Something, yeah, or you just keep rolling monastereo out there. So yeah, I'm not too sure. But again, if they're going to take a big swing, it could be a shortstop and that could be the plan for the future. And there's also, like I guess, some malleability in the in the infield as well, Like Mead can play first, he can not really play third, but he can technically play third. He could play second. Durban could play second. Deurban could play third. And you just wonder what they can do at short steps. So we'll see if they want to swing big here, you ready to push onto the American League Central.
Speaker 5: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Let's do it all right, let's go to oh the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox currently sits atop the American League Central right now, and the White Sox continue to swing it. As it stands right now in the American League Central, the White Sox are fifty five and fifty. They're too clear the Cleveland Guardians who are fifty four in fifty three again, they are the division leader in the American League Central. The Chicago White Sox have hit their way here. They have some starting pitching issues bullpen. They've got some studs a La Grand Taylor, a La some others, but they could use help in a couple of different ways. The first one that came to my mind was starting pitching. And I don't know if the White Sox are in a position to go and get a guy like Freddy Peralta. I think that they could be hunting in the second or third starting pitcher market, so like schoobl Ryan probably doesn't make sense for the White Sox, Peralta, debt Meer's Gosman probably doesn't make sense for the White Sox. So a name that came to mind for me who has been throwing better over the last month or two is Brady's singer. And then I also have any catcher ever they need a catcher right now, it's Romo and Caro teels hurt again. Carol's been very bad. Romo has been not very good either, So catcher Brady's singer.
Speaker 2: That's my wish list for the White Sox.
Speaker 3: So the one that's interesting, and this is where the White Sox need to look in the mirror and say, like, what do we want to do this year?
Speaker 5: Who do we want to be?
Speaker 3: Because all of a sudden, you know you're leading the division by two games, and the value proposition if you win the division, you've got a shot. I don't care where you're at what you thought this season was going to be. If you win the freaking Division, you've got a shot to make a playoff run. And you're put in a really comfortable situation where having that starting pitcher that you can rely on can really help. And I think they need that third arm where Sean Burke has been incredible. Davis Martin is, I'm fine, Like, you're probably gonna be a little bit of a schedule disadvantage, but fine, give them the ball game two. But what if you could get a guy that could allow you to keep Tata smartin the ball in game three, or you get a guy that just gives you a lot of confidence in game three. Debt Mers is that guy, And now I understand if the Angels want to keep him. I know that the White Sox don't want to trade from the farm significantly. And this is where I already know if we clip this out and we put it on socials. White Sox fans are so beat up. And I've seen like fans of like rebuilds that the teams that have rebuilt and stuck it out, I get it. They become so attached through these prospects that they forget that it's really rare for them to reach the potential that you think they're going to reach, and the value of being able to add in a read Debt Mers with years of control will make a big difference for an organization getting him out of and I think Maddox has helped Debt Maers a ton, so I don't think it's gonna be as much of getting him out of there as gonna make him better.
Speaker 5: I think Maddox has helped a ton. That was one of the best things the Angels have done in a while.
Speaker 3: But I just think also getting another set of eyes and just seeing how he can develop there with Banister and what we've seen kind of the development I think with Arms at the big Leagubble and squeezing more out with the White.
Speaker 5: Sox has been there.
Speaker 3: There's a fair amount of prospects I'd be comfortable trading for Redebtmers, and I know like White Sox fans would freak out, But like I was talking about this with Elijah Evans great self with future Socks, and I know he did not agree with me, which I understand.
Speaker 5: I would trade Caleb Bonamer and for Redebtmers.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a burned potential there, and that's always something that you're weighing. He could hit thirty homers and be a solid third baseman, but he also pulls everything he swings and misses a good bit and he has struggled against spin and like plenty time to figure it out.
Speaker 5: Really young, but that's a question mark.
Speaker 3: Redebt Meerse is a really good left handed pitcher who might even get better with years of control. That can help you this year, that can help you next year, which next year if you're the White Sox, next year should be We're serious, like we can make a we can be one of the better teams in the American League. If that's not your goal, then you're wasting your time. You just had one of the best drafts ever imaginable because you have the biggest bonus pool of all time, and you add an auto top ten prospect in Rock Tulaski, but all the talent behind it.
Speaker 5: I would be fine moving a Bonhomer type for red Detmers.
Speaker 3: And I know White Sox fans are gonna have a visceral reaction because I know I've seen the rebuilding for way too long. Fan bases and what happens when you get too attached to your prospects.
Speaker 5: I get it. This would make you better, and I think more often than that would be the right move to make.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Detmers is the really interesting one. Catching wise, did your eyes go anywhere in particular? I guess any will that's anywhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Stevenson. Go get Tyler Stevenson. Why not?
Speaker 3: But rental because I think Teal is still that guy. He's got to prove that it can be healthy. I don't think that that is his fault here. I just think he had a shit luckier with the with the hamstring and then in an ankle and the WBC and then the ankle.
Speaker 5: It just it is what it is.
Speaker 3: You need a rental catcher, I would go. And that's where you can maybe go get a bullpen arm attached with Stevenson, and I think that's what makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I dig it, man. So that's a fun one.
Speaker 4: Tyler Stevenson, bullpen arm and then give up the prospect capital for red deadvers. All right, let's push over the Cleveland Guardians here. Cleveland, mind, you occupies the last spot in the wildcard spot as it stands right now. The Cleveland Guardians currently sit at fifty four and fifty three. They're a game up on the Minnesota Twins, who are also in that division, and in the division, Cleveland is two back of the White Sox, who again are fifty five and fifty.
Speaker 2: For the Cleveland Guardians, they got a hit. They got a hit, they got a hit.
Speaker 4: They are the first team and god knows how long to run out five starting pitchers. On July twenty eighth, they have had five guys start a baseball game for them.
Speaker 2: It has been so lucky, so healthy, so good for them.
Speaker 4: In the starting rotation in All Star in Messic a frontline guy, and Gavin Williams a tried and true mid rotation guy. I know the record doesn't look great for Tanner Biby, but Seconi and Cantillo have been really good as well. So starting pitching, I guess right now not really a problem. Depth is important. They haven't needed depth to this point. And then the bullpen it's just rinse and repeat. Colin Holderman is a sub to era for them. They're they're absolutely nasty. They need proof of life offensively, and there are way more established guys. But I look at how left handed their lineup is, I look at how not good their lineup is, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, you know what, what if you ride this heater from Luis Robert Junior? Your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I think that's a fun one. Also, real quick, just looking at the roster resource, I think one of the most underdiscussed stories in baseball this year is Austin Hedges with a one to fifteen WRC plus.
Speaker 2: He's been crazy. Yeah, holy shit, look at him, man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the Robert challenge is is I mean, I think the Mets would be willing to do that in that deal. It's like, pay it down and get had a better return, because like, are the are the Guardians going to take on what's left of that deal? It's not that much, though, so just get get the Mets to pay down a little bit and dish out of prospect. It's not very Guardian's esque. And if the division is slipping away, like I think it really is, getting the game here with them, But if they're a game or two out still or even in a better spot, I love the shout.
Speaker 5: It just does it seem Guardians coded to you?
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 4: But that's kind of why I think they do it because it's going to be so cheap, like they're they're not going to cost.
Speaker 5: Them any prospects wise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they could just they could just trade a couple forty man like probably Kwan Brito and whatever and my college day.
Speaker 4: Like I think they're looking at I think they're looking at the Lane Thomas thing, and it's like, how can we just do that again? Because Tana was never going to be a big piece for them, and then Klemy is like non existent in that national system right now. So I don't know, Like I look at I look at the Lane Thomas thing, and I say, where is Lane Thomas this year? And I don't know if Lane Thomas exists this year, So might as well get a guy that could be Lane Thomas for even less of a return.
Speaker 3: I like that shout because Taylor Ward fits the bill, but he's going to be more expensive prospect wise, and I just don't see them buying heavier on a rental though again it would be a l that would be the Lane Thomas move in terms of like what they'd have to give up value wise, So right can't rule it out. But I think this team's gonna have to have a nice week here because I really think it is that day to day with this front office. But I still stand by everything I've said with this team that I really do believe that they are good enough to make one of the more competitive runs that they've made, because when these guys are all clicking, they're they're a better offense, I think than we've seen in previous years. They got to get Jay Ram going and that's going to be the big variable. But I agree like they need a right handed bat with a higher ceiling, and I think if it's not Robert, I think a really good fit is Taylor Ward and then from there it's like Seer Steer would have been excellent fit if not a huge wrinkle in this. Yeah, really stinks, Like I don't see them liking Joe Adele and like that. It's it that just kind of drops off from there. I think those are kind of the clear guys. Is like a right handed kind of cheaper to acquire bat that can can jolt them a little bit.
Speaker 2: And my non starter was they had to be right handed, like so left handed I.
Speaker 3: Agree, unless it's just a huge power guy that you just feel really good about. But I mean like, I just don't see They're like, I don't see that lining up for them necessarily, and and all of a sudden, Quandts starting to pick it up a little bit.
Speaker 5: And so you think you feel good about that. I think you just need a right handed bat.
Speaker 3: I agree, And I think that's kind of a nonstar because even like your non lefties are switch hitters, there's days where there's days where if they face to face already right now one through nine, is it will be hitting left handed?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, and recent Hoskins at this point is not the short platoon guy that you hoped he was. And that's the other thing too. So if it's not, if you want to go even more like bargain shopping, they just need a short platoon bat better than Rheese Hoskins at the very least, and better than Gabriel Arius.
Speaker 4: Yeah you got anything else on Cleveland. I think they're gonna be very quiet pitching wise. They could trade like some of these excess bullpen arms, but that's more selling than buying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't see anything too crazy, Like they have Logan Allen as the insurance policy. I could see maybe just under the radar. You know, like they I know you can't speak on this, but like they could be the team that go and gets Braxing Garrett for insurance or something like that. I just don't see them doing like anything, because who are you going to supplant in the rotation?
Speaker 5: It would make sense from an asset proposition.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, all right, we will pitch to the American League West in a moment, but before that, one more word from our friends at Hampton Farms. All right, let's pivot the conversation here to the Texas Rangers. We got the Rangers in the Seattle Mayors and the Seattle Mariners.
Speaker 2: Boo. I don't know why that was so hard to get out.
Speaker 4: As we wrap up the Just Baseball Show today, the Texas Rangers, as it stands right now in the division are the leader. They're two over five hundred and fifty four and fifty two too clear of the Astros, two and a half clear of the Seattle Mariners. Mind you, we didn't put the Astros in this thing, but the Astros could be an interesting conversation. Thought they were buyers teds, so you might then didn't get out of the first inning for the third time this year, so it's like, all right, I don't know. Speaking of Houston real real quick, the one name that fascinates me. If Dana Brown does decide to sell and it seems like they're going to buy, yeah, it would be yeah, they're going to buy, But if they were going to try and strategically sell, and I know that's not the case, like Parades could be the best bat.
Speaker 2: Available at this deadline, but they're just not going to do it.
Speaker 4: So again, Texas, it's too clear of Houston, two and a half clear of Seattle, and as it pertains the wildcard picture, reminder, Texas two over and if this division flips, they are only one game clear a half game clear of the Cleveland Guardians for that final wild card spot, but the Texas Rangers. Jeff Passen made this point on his podcast Sources Tell Jeff Passon, which is actually really fun listen. I highly recommend you can listen to that. He made this point, this is like the third year in a row that Texas is in a position to softly buy, and then this could also be the third year in a row that they missed the playoffs after buying, So like they've been kind of snake bitten post deadline each of the last two years, and it could be the third year in a row that that happens. But scared money don't make money, So you got to push some chips in here.
Speaker 2: What do you think they need?
Speaker 3: And then I don't think Chris Young has ever been scared, So that's the fun part there also quick shout on the Guardians too. Itm I just need to go try g get another center fielder.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about pd Alp.
Speaker 3: They might get to go McCarthy, bar show whatever, a spray of the board.
Speaker 2: Well that's why I was thinking Luis Robert could play center.
Speaker 5: He's the perfect fit, he really is.
Speaker 3: The Rangers are interesting because they're starting to pick up, you know, like you're seeing like lead off Jock Peterson is working. Don't blame John Peterson's got an eight fifty five ops. I don't think people have realized that that always. You know, it's been easy to overlook that why a Langford healthy back in the lineup and what you've got from you know, some of the other contributors, even Evan Carter is starting to settle in a little bit. So I just I look at second base specifically and I think that's gonna be an interesting area. But and Josh Schmidt, who was kind of the the guy that could plug any leak, it's just not been good this year. So you're gonna get Josh young back, You're gonna get presumably Corey Seeger back does Ezekiel Durand's plug in at second he's been so good, so then you're fine. Maybe there that's where it becomes hard for me because like you have to account for like the shuffling puzzle pieces with this team. So with the lineup, I almost think it's okay. I gravitate towards the rotation and like, yeah, cal quantrell As, you're five. Yeah, whoever you acquire doesn't need to pitch in the postseason, but whoever you acquire needs to help you not do this second half plummet thing and having a gaping hole in the five spotting rotation. I know Cow hasn't been right now, but if we're talking about a fall off in the post deadline, that would be an area. And then I think Bullpen as well, Like I love Lats, I think he's one of the best relievers in baseball.
Speaker 5: Judas has been good. From there, it's it's a mixed bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got a wish list of a marquee bat and it's not Louisa Rise. I see plenty of comments mentioning Luis a Rise, but I already sent Luisa Rise to Tampa. So I'm going to send somebody else that is a Rise adjacent to Texas and also a guy that is sort of kind of a building block. He's got a little bit more control than Luisa Rise. I also have a starter that I want to throw your way here, Casey Miz of the Detroit Tigers, I think would be a good fit for the Texas Rangers. I also think Luis Garcia Junior from the Washington Nationals if Paul Tiboni does want to move off Garcia. And when Garcia's name first came up with Ryan Finkelstein on an episode of The Just Baseball Show last week, I said, no way Washington moves him, and Fink gave me the pushback, Well, Jack, I mean, he's kind of running close to the end of his team control, Like it's it's really sneaky how close Louis Garcia is. He only has next year of team control and that he's done, and we know the hurdles that next year could present. So I'm sitting here looking at Louis Garcia Junr. Like it would make sense for Paul Taboni to cash in. He's already sent one NAT to Texas and Mackenzie Gore he got five guys back, and you'd think Chris Young wouldn't be hardened by that one and would be willing to deal with Toboni again. So Luis Garcia Junior I thought was a fun fit. Garcia played second full time last year. He's not as good defensively as Arise is this year, and he's been playing a lot of first base. But I think Garcia could play second base for them, and then yeah, I think Maz would be a good back end rotation fit on a rental deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be interested to see how Garcia plays defensively second. He was pretty putrid last year defensively, uh, but he was decent the year before that. The defensive metrics are always tough, but I think that would be some of the concern. Oh my gosh, was he terrible? Garcia had shortstop in twenty twenty two cheeks negative seventeen drs, negative fourteen. Ou it's above average, but that is an interesting shout. My concern would be then, you know, you would have to play him at second. You'd have Burger and Garcia on the right side of the infield. That could result in a lot of ground balls sneaking through the right side. I my question is this, what do you do because like, you want to be optimistic in a super seekers and maybe back he's taken light VP. You want to be optimistic and assume Josh Young is going to be back. You also don't want to acquire guys that then like are kind of odd man out. You know when when those guys you come back and Ezekio Duran can literally play all over the diamond. So don't you just have Duran who could just plug in at second? You have Seegar back at shortstop, and you have junk back Josh Young back at third, and you're kind of okay, right, yeah, you would think. So that's why I almost think, like allocate it all to pitching, and like, let's because I don't even I don't trust McKenzie Gore.
Speaker 5: I will trust Nathan Yavaldi in the playoffs, and.
Speaker 3: I will I'll die on that hill happily with a smile on her face and Sam with Jacob deGrom.
Speaker 5: But who gets the ball game three right now? It's McKenzie Gore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you brought Gore in to do that, and like you kinda based on the five prospect return that you gave to Washington.
Speaker 2: You kind of have to run him out oct home.
Speaker 3: Yes, However, if you're in the playoffs and Gore is just limping to the finish line, you're gonna maybe go with somebody else right now you cannot. I would still go to Gore over Rocker. I'd maybe do an opener Rocker against Righty's and then switch.
Speaker 5: Over to Gore or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: But I think you need a better and of Gore or excuse me, Rocker every time I think he's gonna hit a wall because he throws sliders all the time. He doesn't credit to him. I just I need, I need a more reliable fifth starter because I'm still concerned about the four starter and I'm also concerned about the three starter.
Speaker 5: So I think you gotta you.
Speaker 3: Gotta go, get go, get an arm And I love the I love the shout from uh Lucario Force poison pill, Michael King. That's the kind of deal that I don't think Chris Young cares about. Yeah, and you know we talked about the wrinkles of the contract that could probably limit the return. That could make some sense. I'm just is probably gonna do that now that they're like a game and a half out.
Speaker 2: Probably not at this point.
Speaker 4: So I think Mais is kind of like the shoe in answer, and he could go also get like a Gosman. I think Gosman could be a good Texas rank.
Speaker 5: Gosmin would be an awesome one for me.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at this team the shout out Peter he gave out Rangers, right, and there are two games up, and I think they're just gonna probably win this division. So if they win the division, you're in a spot where again you really need those three starters and maybe a fourth, and also you really want to win this division. I think you've got to go get a higher impact starter, but also guy that can help you make a playoff run. In Gosman, you'd have the most experienced playoff rotation.
Speaker 5: That could be bad.
Speaker 3: They could all hit a wall and suck, but they also could just have been there, done that, and you're going to outclass some of these younger teams if you're the Rangers.
Speaker 4: The other thing is the Rangers are only two back of the White Sox for the second by like the Chicago White Sox as it stands right now, are in a position to get a buy into the DS because the top two division winners don't have to play in the Wildcard Series. So if they go and add two starters, they can be in a position to bypass the Wildcard Series.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. The American League is so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's where it's like setting yourself up there. Also, then you get to the playoffs, let's say you're somehow playing one of these younger teams. I kind of like the experience of Gosman. I like the experience of ta Gram and of vivality to make this happen.
Speaker 5: So I like myes. I like Gosman.
Speaker 3: I think just one of these kind of different degrees of veterans, but one of these experience veteran arms that I think we'll upgrade this rotation and give you some consistency.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: All right, Last, but not least, the Seattle Mariners. They are a fascinating conversation, folks. The Seattle Mariners, as it stands right now are on the outside looking in of the playoff picture. Right now, as it pretends the American League wild card standings, Seattle's two back the final wildcard spot, the Cleveland Guardians. They are fifty two and fifty five, three under five hundred and in the division. The Seattle Mariners are two and a half back of the division leading Rangers, and the Astros are sandwiched in between Texas and Seattle.
Speaker 2: But we know Seattle's going to buy.
Speaker 4: They have too good a roster for them be a couple games that are five hundred right now, they can pitch. They're going to trade from their pitching surplus. Jeff Passen clearly thinks that Emerson Hancock is on the move. So I'm going to throw you the concept of a two for one and a Hancock swamp.
Speaker 2: This is my wish list here.
Speaker 4: Tyrone Taylor has a nine to thirty eight OPS against left handed pitching.
Speaker 2: The Mariners are literally the worst team in baseball against left handed pitching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tyrone Taylor and Wascar bras abond from the Mets, well, two for one deal. I don't think that would cost two too much. Taylor's a rental and Brasibon's a reliever that isn't a closer. The other one is, I know Shaw is out with a little injury beyond the deadline, but Matt Shaw and a prospect, a high level prospect for Emerson Hancock could make a lot of sense to me because the Cubs could benefit from adding an Emerson Hancock and the Mariners could benefit from adding a Matt Shaw who's still, even in an underwhelming year, has in ops comfortably over eight hundred against left handed pitching. So these are two guys offensively that bring you north of the border in terms of damage against lefties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's one that makes a lot of sense because if the well, of course, the the tyrone Taylor Bras about no brainer because it's not going to cost enough to where you're going to say, even if we continue to struggle, we're not going to regret making this move. But I think the other that you could say similar sentiment, share a similar sentiment with the potential trade for Matt Shaw, because look, Hancock, this is an opportunity to cash in kan Anderson needs to be in that rotation opening day next year, like he needs to be in that rotation. Ryan Sloane not far behind that, so you need to create a space, a spot. Anyways, I know some other guys will potentially be gone. But also this is this is an opportunity to cash in when it's a unique market. If you're able to get Shaw and a prospect, a solid prospect that helps you obviously shock and help this team this year once he comes back healthy and can plug in and short platoon everywhere. But also you're able to also recoup a little bit of a prospect for turn to if you hit a wall this year, you say, oh, but we still got better for the next. You know, five plus years as an organization, we got more young talent. So I think when you look at it from that lens, that trade would be justifiable for short.
Speaker 5: Term and long term that I think would would help this ball club.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is if you trade if Hancock's expected to be moved, does that mean that they just don't think they're gonna be able to move Casto at all.
Speaker 5: That's what that signifies to me. We've seen the reports that they.
Speaker 3: Want to pay him down, but I wouldn't be like, Okay, Hancock's guaranteed to move and we're gonna move Gestio because now you're bringing up Kate Anderson and that's your fit starter. And someone goes down, who's your death and you're gonna be regretting that you did that. So I think Shaw makes a ton of sense and fits them really well for now and for later, and they'd probably get a prospect on top kiss TiO.
Speaker 4: You're also getting nothing. I think they view handcocked as an opportunity to go big leaguer for big leaguer. When Castillo you you either have to pay him down for an okay or not that good big leaguer, or someone takes on the entirety of the money for a lottery ticket that's six years away. So like, I think Hancock is the realistic one to move because you're getting the type of return that Jerry Depoto wants to get.
Speaker 3: And the difference is I think they're gonna have to tack on a little bit on top of Shaw. So yeah, you're gonna get some some farm system. You know, Jolts a little bit as well. That helps his team, and man, just having anyone that can hit lefties that can do it, and all the different spots so you can pick your spots where you want who you want to be short platooned for, and he's not gonna block Mile Royo because you can again plug and play Shaw wherever you want. So I think that's the no brainer for them, and it's kind of a soft buy that doesn't make them feel like they gave anything up of consequence if the season just continues to be a rough one for them.
Speaker 4: The other one is from a Cub perspective, and I know that you and Peter going to talk about the Cubs tomorrow, but I think from a Cub perspective, Hancock is the dream candidate to be a Chicago Cup at this deadline because it's a controllable starter. They need a starting pitcher badly, badly, badly, So I think I think Hancock's a perfect fit in Chicago, and I think Shaw is a really perfect fit in Seattle.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I think we'd be remiss if we didn't quickly shout out the Astros because I just think they're gonna buy, so just a quick shout on them and.
Speaker 5: What they could do.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they won't necessarily do because they don't have much prospect capital, but they seem to be in every reporter's ear telling them, don't even don't even insult us with the suggestion that we don't we won't buy. Don't even insult us with the suggestion of selling.
Speaker 5: We will not sell.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna do it, not gonna happen. So what does a buying astros look like?
Speaker 4: Pitching like, I guess again, Like we can recycle the rental arms like Gosman.
Speaker 2: You could go get him, you could go get.
Speaker 4: Rady Singer, Yeah, singer, Casey Miz Like, they probably need two starting pitchers. The bullpen's been good, Man Like, they've got a solid pen, Andiel Deello Santos has been nasty over the last bit.
Speaker 2: Uh Okert's been really good.
Speaker 4: And then a bray you has been sort of kind of coming around in hater's hater. So I don't think they need another bullpen arm. Maybe another outfielder maybe. Also, the way they're kind of part time playing cam Smith is really weird to me.
Speaker 3: It drives me insane. It drives me absolutely nuts. Do you want to develop this kid or not? He skipped the minor leagues. He can be a really good player. I don't, I don't get it. It drives me nuts. But to that point, like, okay, you're you're part time playing. I don't say what Truel has been solid, but I think I think like a Mickey Moniac would be a really interesting one mm hmm, like a year and a half of control there.
Speaker 5: I think like those types of players could be fascinating.
Speaker 3: McCarthy McCarthy, mcarthy's a great Like they're running Lucas Spence out there right now.
Speaker 2: You know who they could have really benefited from having this year is Mauricio dubonc.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so, yeah, but they needed to clear up that CBT space really badly. So I think the very obviously they need a left handed hitting or they just need an outfielder, like they just needed an outfielder that can swing it McCarthy or I think McCarthy would fit really well. I think you could look at Maniac that would fit really well there too. And then I think in the rotation, I mean, just anyone that can throw, like anyone that can just grab anings for them. I like Lambert and Brown a lot, like obviously Hunter Brown's amazing. I think Ronald Blanco is gonna settle in a little bit and be fine. But Yeah, like, what arm could you possibly add to the fold there.
Speaker 2: That would be helpful?
Speaker 4: Peter Peter's here in the in the just Gridiron YouTube, just can continuously spamming Ryan Weathers Freeesck parades. They just can't trade parades. Paradis is one of three guys that booies that lineup right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then then we're.
Speaker 2: Not on parades. He's not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: You might as well sell at that point, Yeah, because day lineup just drops off so badly. So I yeah, I don't know if I could see that one, and but who knows with this team, But I just think it just kind of be a lateral move with the offensive help they still somewhat need. Would be a good opportunity for them to move off of Christian Walker. They're not going to do it because it's just the way they are, and they could have cleared up some money. But yeah, I think you got to go get a maniac McCarthy deal with the Rockies there and then to starting a bullpen arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but two starting pitchers, man, you need starting pitchers.
Speaker 4: And that's all good luck. Yeah, yeah, uh, that's all we got today. We're gonna do National League tomorrow. Anything else you want to plug your.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to keep rolling through with the National League.
Speaker 3: Will be fun challenge as well, and just a reminder of everybody that we're on live on Whatnot every single weeknight, ripping tops Chrome right now and Bowman. If you check the link in the episode description, if you're new to Whatnot, go follow our story.
Speaker 5: You get a twenty five dollars coupon there.
Speaker 3: But I'll be hopping in there talking cards, talking prospects and your tops Chrome is a really fun product right now.
Speaker 2: Love it all right, that's all with everybody, Thank you for arm I'm Jack. We will talk to you with the National League tomorrow