Speaker 1: The following episode was recorded before the WGA sag Aftra strikes of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Most people have a memory of nine to eleven and where they were. I was in New York, being a New Yorker, and immediately went first to my daughter's school, and I was I think one of the first dads or maybe the first parent that showed up at school. And when they told Socy that I was there to pick her up, the look on her face was one of confusion, and even from a kid so young, uh, probably six or seven, she knew that something was a miss. Having to explain that to a little kid was pretty emotional, to say the least. There's a lot of things that that generation has experienced that can really take a toll on a child's mental health. And alex Dark, who is our guest today, actually was in school with my daughter at that very time. So it's kind of a good segue because now she is well out of school and focused on organizations that are giving our kids tools that they need to check in with their mental health. So lean in, listen up, I'm glad you're here. Here we are with Alexandra Didario. You know we do this silly thing, this dumb game that started many years ago called The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon that doesn't seem to be going away. So one of the things, one of the things that we sometimes kick off with is seeing if there are any connections. But you know, I did a little research, and you and I have connections that you may not even know about.
Speaker 3: Oh really, Oh I'm excited.
Speaker 2: First off, the basic six Degrees connection is Logan Luherman, Yes, who I was in a movie with called My One and Only Yes. And I think the one and only person that saw the movie realized that we had that connection. But and but so that's a that's an easy you know, uh, that's an easy jump.
Speaker 3: I think you also worked with Jake Abel. Is that possible?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: What is also in the I'm not sure because we used to play this game, The Six Degrees of Kenna b Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When it was when it first sort of there was like a you could type in someone's name. There was an I think it was on IMDb or something. There was some program and you could it would give you the six degrees. You didn't even have to look it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well they have that. They have a thing now on IMDb where you can put connections in, and I use that all the time because you know, havn't been around as long as I have. If I go to work, let's say, doing a television series, and I look on the call sheet and there's you know, a whole bunch of names there. You know, I've met so many people that sometimes I just space out whether or not I know them. So I'll actually go on before my way to work and check and see so that I can say to somebody, I don't have to say nice to meet you, and then they go out, yeah, yeah, we actually met. So so you know that that actually and you know, this whole six degrees dot org thing and what we're you know, doing here with this podcast really is about connections. I mean, I do think that if you take me out of the game, that it really is an interesting kind of idea that people really are first off, that we are connected, and second off that that we're really hungry for those connections.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so, speaking of which, my now correct me if I'm wrong, but you went to Brearley. Yes, okay, my mother in law, my wife, and my daughter all went to Brearley.
Speaker 3: I have a crazy story about this.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you knew that. Maybe.
Speaker 3: Well, so when I was little at Brearley, because I'm a little bit older than your daughter, you came to tour the school.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: And I was so young, must have been like, I don't know, twelve or thirteen or something. But everyone started streaming about how this guy Kevin Bacon was at the school and a bunch of us started running around, leaving class and running around the stairwells.
Speaker 2: I think, wow, you know, that's really surprises me.
Speaker 3: The next well, the next day there was a big assembly held about how we needed to not do that and how it was not okay.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was a buzz kill? What a buzz kill?
Speaker 3: Well it wasn't like I think. It was like, look, there's a movie start coming to the school, and someone got really excited and then other people got excited a little bit of mob mentality. But I do remember that there was sort of a talk about it the next day, so I did know that your daughter went to the school.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to tell that story to both my mother in law and my wife and my daughter. I think they will all get a big, big kick out of it.
Speaker 3: So you never knew that. I know.
Speaker 2: No, of course no, I never knew. I never knew that, and I didn't I didn't until until I looked at your Wikipedia page. Frankly, I didn't know that you had gone. But I really do admire your work. I think you're absolutely fantastic. I'm so thrilled with the success that you've been having. I mean, you've been you've been at it for a long time. But you went to PCs S after Brierly, so you must have started acting. I'm guessing, yeah, pretty young age.
Speaker 3: I booked a soap opera and Breally I think was not. I think that it was. It wouldn't have worked to go and miss that much school, so PCs. So I transferred to PCs and it was really very easy. I just sort of called them. I was sixteen, so I went in.
Speaker 2: Exactly what happened to my wife, exactly what she booked the soap opera when she was sixteen. All then she didn't leave school, she didn't go to PCs, but she had exactly the same the exact same thing. Sixteen had to figure something out with school.
Speaker 3: So how did she what did she end up doing for school?
Speaker 2: Just cut school for you know, yeah, just went miss school. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't really know I should have done that, I don't know.
Speaker 2: But how was that PCs? But for people, know, that's a well you can describe it please.
Speaker 3: Well it's short for Professional Children's School. So it's a school for kids who are working. So the majority of people are actually ballet answers from the American School at LA or otherwise, and so there was a lot of that. There was some professional athletes, but it's people who can't be in school regularly, but you could still graduate, you know, on a normal schedule. So it's kind of when I was there, and I don't know, I'm getting older, so this was a long time ago. But when I was there, it was a little bit what you made of it. But they had a guided study program, so you could not attend school at all. As long as you turned in these assignments, you'd graduate on time. So that's what I ended up doing.
Speaker 2: Well, wow, that's a whole nother connection. By the way, I'm just I can't believe this, but you know, I started out on soaps. Which one were you on?
Speaker 3: All my children?
Speaker 2: All my children?
Speaker 3: Okay seasonally too?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, right, right, Were you related to Susan Lucy's character?
Speaker 3: No, I was Jay.
Speaker 2: I remember my girlfriend Chandler's girlfriend. Okay, yes, is j R. Chandler the name of the character or the name of the actor, the.
Speaker 3: Name of the character in all my children. The Chandler family was like a huge family, Like they were like the rich, you know, and all kinds of chaos happened with them. But I sort of came in as an ancillary character that they ended up. I'm keeping on for a year now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this was your experience with the soaps, but I found that people it was my first little taste of like being recognized, you know, being like a public personality. But the difference was that everyone knew me as Tim. Like they would come up to me and they would not accept that I had another name and that I was an actor and I was playing Tim the teenage Alcoholics. So people would come up to me and say, listen, Tim, you gotta slow down with the drinking. You're making your upset and your mother he needs I think were your troubled girl on the soap where you were troubled? Did you? I mean, who doesn't have trouble.
Speaker 3: On a soap, that's right, But yeah, no, I was like the good I was a good girl who just wanted to go to school. But my father was an alcoholic and he wanted me to leave school or something I'm trying to remember incorrectly. And he didn't want me dating j R. Chandler because he was rich and they were too fancy, and I needed to stay with him and you know, live life the way that he wanted me to live it.
Speaker 2: Your father's name wasn't Tim, Tim by a chance? Was it? No? Maybe? So maybe there was a multiverse, that there was a multiverse of all my children in.
Speaker 3: The Guiding Light, the guy that I was going to ask which soap for you on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Guiding Light? I was also on the first soap I did was called Search for Tomorrow, which ended up mean it. It doesn't exist anymore, I don't think. But that was I just did like a summer arc on that. Let me ask you. People have always said to me, and I'm wondering what your response to this is that it was great. It's great. It's a great, great training ground. Did you feel that way? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I I think I had all of what it took to be a good actor. I mean, I'm still acting, so, but I wasn't very good and I think a lot of that came from nerves and really just not knowing. But I also was quite shy. So there's also the element of going into work every day and working with people older than you and and so that's helpful. But yeah, I didn't know how to hit a mark or kiss a boy on screen, or find my light or where the camera was any of that. So and it helps you learn how to memorize lines. That was like, that's what every actor did, was well profession.
Speaker 2: Basic professionalism, right, you know, I mean just that you had to be there, you had to be there at a certain time, you had to know your lines, you had you know. Yeah, it does definitely. Yeah, it's funny you say the kissing the boy, because when I was on uh uh Search for Tomorrow, I was I was a little bit older, but I was playing younger and I was way past the first kiss portion of my wife and but the but the young lady who they paired me with for this summer romance, she was a regular on the show, was the whole summer was a build up to her first kiss to the character's first kiss right right, and according to her father, it was also her first kiss.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it was a very I mean, I it made me. I don't know, I was, I was, I was uncomfortable with it. I mean for a lot of reasons. I just I understand strange.
Speaker 3: I mean, not a bad kissed for her story, but it is it was strange. I mean, it wasn't. I also have a strange audition story about, you know that kind of thing I had to audition. I think I've told this story before, but I had to audition for It was a Got Chocolate Milk ad. They were doing Got Chocolate milk instead of Got milk. So they brought a bunch of teenagers in and I I think it was before the soap, so I must have been like fifteen fourteen fifteen, and they would pair a girl and a boy up, and I remember everyone was waiting on two different benches and we were all like, oh my god, who's the person that we're going to have to do this with? Because the audition was that one of us had to put milk in our mouth and the other one had to put chocolate syrup in their mouth, and then we had to make out one then turned to the camera and go got chocolate milk.
Speaker 2: Whoa wait, like this was years ago. Pumped the brakes on that story. You don't never do that. Oh my god, you have. We have intimacy coordinators for for for for that. I mean, that's like a there's there's a full time job for that. Wow. That's and you were all teenagers, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so there was like a sort of teenage innocence about it. There was nothing. There was nothing. I mean, in retrospect, I'm like, oh my god, I can't believe. But there was also a thank for And I'd be curious if anyone else has a memory about diitioning for this. I haven't heard anyone talk about it. But there was a little bit of like, oh my god, I got to kiss a boy or kiss a girl. I think, a little bit but very strange audition.
Speaker 2: That's pretty weird. Now. Did they use the chocolate and the milk in the audition?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Wow? Wow? Mind blown mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they gave us like a little cup of milk or a little cup of chocolate syrup.
Speaker 2: Did you get the part?
Speaker 3: I did not, And I never saw the ads run. Maybe they figured out the audition process that it was way too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think somebody, I think somebody looked at that and said, are you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like, it's a great idea and concept, but then once we actually saw it really happened, No, we're not going to do it.
Speaker 2: We're not doing that, I don't think so I'm actually I'm going to do it. But later on tomorrow, right after Thanksgiving dinner, I'm gonna try that.
Speaker 3: And oh, that'll be great. See if you can, guys have a great time.
Speaker 2: Make chocolate milk that way. So, uh, I know you've probably talked about this and not well. First, before we get into white Lotus, I want to ask you. I was I was looking at your resume and I have to say that I have never seen Chainsaw Massacre in three D? That which number? What number was that?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Or is it only three D? Is they made a lot of three.
Speaker 3: D's, No, they only made one three D? Okay, Yeah, I mean, with all due respect to everyone involved and myself, it was it was quite a it was look, I had a blast. It was a hard experience. The movie made a little money at the box office, but my husband actually produced The Chainsaw Massacre with Jessica Biale, and I think I would recommend that one over mine.
Speaker 2: That's very nice of you.
Speaker 3: So I've supported my husband's great I had a great time and I loved everyone I met on that on that movie.
Speaker 2: Now, now, uh so, if if I was I was wondering this about three D movies, they really only work in three D obviously if you're in the theater, right and you can't you can't get the little red and blue glasses and watch them at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think there was this period of time. I don't I mean, I don't know what your experience was with this, but I was the types of movies I was doing at the time. There was like maybe a two or three maybe four year period where they were really like three D seemed to be the future, like everything wanted. They were doing a regular version in a three D version, and the issue was are you going to shoot it in three D or convert it afterwards? And Texas Chainsaw was one that we shot on three D cameras, which the technology wasn't as advanced, So we were shooting in summer in Louisiana, and the cameras would overheat and there were issues with that, and then there were other movies. I remember them discussing they were going to convert it and it didn't really pick up. Like the glasses sort of hurt every It hurt my eyes a little bit, but it was.
Speaker 2: A smell a vision. Yeah, never really took off. No, I saw. That was one of the first. I'm a horror buff. I mean, I'm surprised I never seen your Texas chain saw, but I mean, do they When I was a kid, I remember very well lying about my age in order to get into Vincent Price in House of Wax in three D, and it was one of the first scary movies. Probably the movie's not that scary if you looked at it now, but it was also the first three D movie that I'd ever seen, and it kind of like what they did back then, which I'm sure was not the case with your film, was it. If I remember correctly, The film kind of went along for a while and was in two D, and then all of a sudden they'd get to a certain scene like smoke or whatever. They thought then that would be just like a month that like maybe only three or four moments in the whole thing where it actually was full on three D because.
Speaker 3: It was kind of I can get this time that right, and I think then you get to rest your eyes a little little bit and then you get that moment that you're waiting for where you're like, WHOA, that's so cool. I actually prefer that idea. That's really cool. But yeah, the whole the whole thing being in three B. I guess it's cool. You get to see the chainsaw come at you and a raw Yeah. Yeah, it's a cool part that I got to be in. Like a couple of movies that they, you know, tried this three D thing, so.
Speaker 2: I I what over the other movies more three D?
Speaker 3: There was another one that I think was converted to three D. And then when there were three D, there were theaters that would show it in three D, but the majority would be two D.
Speaker 2: Got you.
Speaker 3: I forget which I actually forget which ones now that was? I don't I think San Andreas may have done it. I don't really remember. Okay, Texas chains I was the only one I shot on three D cameras?
Speaker 2: Do you think you mentioned earlier that year in New York and I moved to New York when I was seventeen and still live in New York. Do you think that it has informed you as an actor as a person, and if so, in what way? You know?
Speaker 3: I when I first moved to LA I was twenty three, and everyone I would take all these general meetings, and I remember everyone being like great from and being totally shocked when I said I was from New York City.
Speaker 2: Well, well you talk like this, like, hey, what are you doing walk? Yeah? I like that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was quite timid and polite, and I think people thought I was going to come in and be like, hey, put me in a movie or whatever. And so I think that the ways that it made me tough are not like I think it. I mean, you grow up a little bit faster. I was so devoted to and I had acts to all. I don't think i'd be an act. I mean the acting classes I was able, the teachers and the people I got to meet and the things I got to learn were so amazing, and it gave me this incredible freedom at a really young age to be able to access anything that I needed to access. So I got it in my head I was going to be an actor, and that wasn't really what, you know, I don't have your family.
Speaker 2: Actors were there are artists and actors in your family.
Speaker 3: My parents are lawyers, so there's there's an art to that, I think, But but no, and I you know, I don't think that would have been my path. I think I was being steered in a different direction or by not just my parents. It was sort of everything. So the best thing about it was it made me very independent living in New York and and I could just pick up the phone and call and book an acting class and have access to all these amazing things and really figure out what it was I wanted to do at a young age, even though like acting, it seemed like actors were made in a lab, like movie stars were made in a lab, and it you know, wasn't really, but I just sort of I was able to, uh to figure it out.
Speaker 2: So you were in l A, and then you moved back to New York. You grew up in New York, then you moved to LA.
Speaker 3: Then you came back or you're back and I'm still living in LA. That's where I paid well place. Because you know, my husband's also from from well, he's from Long Island. My mom's out here and it just made sense for to have a place. So we go back and forth. But LA is like our main, main place.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's awesome. It took me a long time to get used to LA and now I really love it. But I was, I was. It took me many many years of saying, no, no, it's not for me, it's not for me, it's not for me. But it was just some kind of a idea that I had about it or something. I don't know. But but do you have it?
Speaker 3: How long was your stretch in LA.
Speaker 2: I've never lived in LA. I mean, I I'm sort of like the opposite of you. We finally got a place so that we wouldn't have to stay in hotels. But but you know, you add it all up between you know, the how the rented houses and the hotels and the years of you know, working out there, I would say I've spent years and years of my life cumulatively in LA. But my kids were my wife grew up in Manhattan, as you know, my kids were raised in New York, both of them living on LA. By the way, now that they've both made the switch, you know, I want to talk a little bit. I know you've probably talked ad nauseum about White Lotus, and I know that it's also a little weird, probably because now it's on and it's like a show that you're you're not on. But what fascinates me is you've been doing doing great work for a while and probably were well known. White Littles was one of those things that just kind of like like snapped everybody into the zeitgeist kind of thing, like that's a different sort of feeling, and especially with US coastal elites, like everybody was watching that show and everybody was super impressed with you and with that character and with the complexities of that show, but also of of her and of the relationship. So like aside, putting the industry aside, is it is it different the way that people start to relate to you when they when they see you, or or even family friends, the things that they want to talk about, because that was such a like just kind of sort of came out of nowhere in a way.
Speaker 3: You know, you are absolutely right. I I did have I was at for a long time and I've been doing this for a very long time. I was I was you know, I'd be like, but I you know, I've been in these movies that millions of people have seen, and I have fifteen million followers on Instagram, and I know I can act. I'm ready, and I feel good about where I'm at, and I've been doing the work, and I wouldn't be I felt like, you know, I wasn't really being considered for certain types of roles, and I wasn't getting auditions for certain things or but I just sort of kept flowing away and saying, you know, if they won't see me, I'll put something on tape. And and I always I always had hope, but I also love what I do so much. I was happy that I was a working actress and all of that, and then White Lotus happened during the pandemic. And it's funny because like you get so obsessed with something and you're like so focused on it and on achieving this certain goal. And the goal for me was I want to do certain types of work. I have an idea of the characters I want to play and the different the different types of people I want to work with, and I and the opportunity I want to have more opportunity. And then during the pandemic, I kind of was focused on other things and let that all go and that put this audition in a tape for for White Lotus and read for Mike and then got it. And then it was just it was like the thing I had been waiting for, but I hadn't. I wasn't expecting it at all. And yeah, it did change. It did change the opportunities I have and the way people see me, for sure. And it was exactly I mean, it just goes to show you this is a tough business. And I just I've always felt so grateful and the fact that I was able to show people that I could do something different is awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, you definitely did. And you also bring up an interesting point about this business that is hard to explain, and that is that, you know, you hear a lot of stories about how people you know, went in, climbed over the studio gate, dropped off of tape, you know, did a didn't you know, fought their way in or had a career plan or whatever, and sometimes these things just kind of drop out of the sky. It's like every once in a while, you know, there'll be something that'll that will come down the pike and you go, wow, I thought this wasn't in my plan, but this is like super cool. Uh So, I mean I think career planning sometimes can be a little bit of an oxymoron, except for the idea that you love it, which you said, and that you're going to hang in. You know that you're going to hang in through the slings and arrows of which we both know there are many moment yep, Yeah, I wanted to ask you about On Our Sleeves. You know, what we're doing here on this podcast is talking to cool people like you, famous people, celebrities across all kinds of different creative arts and sports and music who also have something that they're passionate about and have you know, some kind of cousets. I mean, so often people kind of look at us as overpaid buffoons who really don't care that much about the world, and so I'm just trying to was hoping to kind of highlight some people that actually do. And so you're connected to this organization On Our Sleeves. I just want to ask you about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So on our Sleeves and I've just started working with them. They I believe they were founded in twenty eighteen, so they are this incredibly they're full of excitement and passion for building the What they're doing getting word out and what they're doing is very relevant and I think also something that was needed even before the pandemic, but now there's more focus on mental health care and especially for children, and they sort of saw this whole in mental health care for prevention when you're very young, for young children, before you get to the point where it becomes more serious. How do you it's and it's also I really see it as helping adults as well talk to children. How do you talk to children? How do you support them if they can't have support at the home in the home, how can you help support educational facilities and schools, and how you talk to children and teach them to communicate deal with their emotions. Because I think a lot of the time you'll have people in positions of power who are dealing with kids with problems, so that you don't know how to recognize the issues or how to talk to them about it, or how to help. And when you're struggling and you want to help, this is an organization that you can call and get free resources to help support conversation with kids, help sort of identify issues a whole slew of things, and I just thought that was really brilliant. And someone from the organization said, you know, when she was a kid, it was like, you know, stop your crying or I'll give you something to cry about kind of thing, you know. And it's not that parents love their kids or wanted they just had a different way of disciplining or communicating or dealing with their own stuff. And now you know, it's like, how many times is a kid did someone sit you down and say, calm your body, how are you feeling? What's a better way to ask for that? All these different ways of communicating that help sort of mitigate I think, anxiety and depression as you grow up.
Speaker 1: If you are inspired by today's episode, please join us in supporting six degrees dot org by texting the word bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes, will also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most. Once again, text b a con to seven zero seven zero seven zero, or visit six degrees dot org to learn more.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of people that work there. I want to bring out doctor Arianajoet, the clinical director of our Sleeves. Thanks for coming out to the podcast with us. Alex was explaining some of what you do. How did the two of you find each other? How did this relationship begin?
Speaker 4: Oh, that's a great question, Bill Goldman. Joel connected us. So. Joel joined the Honor Sleeves team this year and he's really been instrumental in connecting us to people like Alex. And Alex and I met through Instagram live when we talked about the topic of bullying and so it was really cool to meet Alex and talk about the impacts of bullying and mental health and children.
Speaker 2: And what is your what is your history? Uh? Doctor hood? What? What? What? What? How did you get?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: First off, what kind of doctor are you?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: So, I'm a pediatric psychologist. I work in primary care. So it's a unique role in that I get to be in the office of pediatrician. And so when families come to their doctor to take their kid for their physical, their well visits, any questions they have about their development, behavior, mental health, I'm there and I see them that day, which in a time right now where we know there's long wait lists and access is difficult to mental health professionals. It's really cool to be able to meet families when the question arises, and I join the Honor Sleaves team in January. So my role as clinical directors making sure that all the resources we are putting out there are based on science and evidence and the things that we know to really help children in their mental health.
Speaker 2: And was there something in your life that specifically sent you down this path both of becoming a pediatrician but also medicine and then working with children and then more specifically with mental health within that, did you what's your how do you feel personally about the work that you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because I recently had someone ask me like, when did you decide to become a psychologist?
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 4: I started right away an undergrad as a psychology and kind of followed along. But where I am right now in terms of working in primary care, working with on our sleeves. Really, I'm an immigrant. I moved to the US when I was in high school and that impacted my mental health to be in the middle of high school and moved to a brand new country and figuring out where I fit and so it's really important for me to get the information to the people that needed the most. And in my training I realized, you know, as psychologists were publishing in peer review journals and going to these academic conferences, but we're preaching to the choir, we're talking to other people in the field and so on our Sleeves was exciting to me because it allows us to talk to the community, talk to the parents, the teachers, the coaches, and that's the people that need to hear the information. So it was a very easy decision.
Speaker 2: And explain to me, what's your description of the mission of on our Sleeves?
Speaker 4: Sure, so, we really our goal is to get the free resources that we create to every.
Speaker 3: Community in the US.
Speaker 4: And we mean community as the diverse communities that need are resources, but also the kind of communities the adults that reach kids, so again, the schools, the teachers, the coaches, the families.
Speaker 3: And the neighbors.
Speaker 4: Really, if you're an adult with a child in your life, we want to get these resources to you and help you support the mental health of the children in your life.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That sounds like really good, good work. Are there any specific initiatives that the that you can explain to us they're happening right now.
Speaker 4: Sure, So right now we launched it. May we launch Operation and Conversation, and that has been really fun because it's been all about getting people, adults again to talk to the children in their lives, building the habits of conversation with kids, and not just waiting until you're worried about them, but really doing it every day so that it builds a healthy relationship with the kids. It's normal to talk to each other and that way, if you are ever worried, it doesn't feel awkward to bring it up. So we have resources. Oh, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Is it a guidebook I mean, or a video or how do you I mean? I want that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So on our website at on our sleeve dot org. We've got kind of a step by step First, how to start the conversation, Then how do I react, how do I keep it going? How do I respond in a way that feels good to the child? And then if I do have concerns, how do I set boundaries or give advice in a way that they'll listen. We also have these fun conversations starter that Alex actually was the drive behind us really putting them out there, and so on our website you can get a fun little deck that that you can use at dinner time, for example, with a lot of different questions to ask children to get them talking.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you mentioned dinner. We that was something that we really pounded the table on, which was we're having dinner together and there will be no devices. I mean, although my kids were actually pre where we're at right now, you know, I mean that they were young enough so that it wasn't a part of their lives, but my wife and I did. We'd put them down and we would have conversations and it didn't even it wasn't even a question that it hasn't necessarily be heavy. Sometimes it was, but just you know, just to be able to talk. Let me ask you something, Alex. You know, I think about your little little bit older than associate than my kid, you know, but I think about this generation, your generation, and yeah, there was some stuff going on in the world for sure that was super traumatic when I was a kid, and you know, growing up in the in a city where there was you know, violence and uh, you know, looking at the at the Vietnam War for instance, from a distance, not to mention. You know, people have individual trauma that happens with with their own lives and their family situations, or or you know, the trauma that comes from income insecurity or food insecurity. But starting with nine to eleven, it just seems like this generation has just had one really tough thing after another to deal with and right up to now. And I think about those kids who are you know, my kids were old enough, and even for them it was traumatic. But just to be right, you know, if you're eight or thirteen and the pandemic hits and your life just shuts down in such a profound way, I don't know. I just feel like there's so many, so many more challenges to our emotional stability, to children's emotional stability than there used to be.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree with that, and I also think, you know, the obvious one too is the Internet and the accessibility to bullying. And there's amazing I mean, the positive thing about it is you have access to information and all that, But then that for a child who is not emotionally mature enough, they're almost being forced to become kids are almost becoming forced to become more emotionally mature than they should be. For their age because of what they have to deal with.
Speaker 2: And it's sort of they can't be kids for very long.
Speaker 3: I mean, I see it, and I just think that the things that they have to deal with with the Internet and with obviously the information that's coming the global warming news and this constant doomsday sort of with no one taking action. There's a lot of that, and I think it's Look, there have been very difficult times for people, and there are people who, like you said, have all kinds of personal trauma, and but it does force kids to learn how to process. They have to learn how to process information and have these bigger discussions at an earlier age than maybe they would normally. So it's a tough thing and I think adults are navigating that. And also this entire generation is are we're raising kids in a world that's so different than how we were raised. We didn't have this kind of thing. We didn't have Instagram, We don't we can't really relate. I don't think you can understand exactly what's going on. So there's you know, you want to set the next generation up for success in raising the next generation right, and they may have better understanding of who knows how the world will change, but a lot of it is so baffling. I can't even imagine, you know, my step kids dealing with the Internet the way that they do already, you know, a young age, and they're not even teenagers yet. So I just think it's it's very important to sort of figure out how can we how can we teach kids to process this information differently and learn how to be kind, dur and sort of go against their innate instincts as kids to be a little bit mean, Like I don't know why. It's sort of human nature or something. As you figure out social power constructs or whatever it is. We're just talking about bullying, but it can get out of control too quickly, So you have to teach kids how to think about these things differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, I think I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure, Doctor Howad has more insight into this.
Speaker 2: Well, Doctor HOAt, do you have a Have you seen an increased need for this kind of work since since the pandemic or at least over the last few years, I mean, school shootings, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean I think what's hard is that even before the pandemic, the CDC released a study between twenty nine and twenty nineteen, So right before the pandemic, we were already seeing an increase in depression, blessness, suicidal thoughts and behaviors. And then the pandemic happened and it absolutely made that worse, But we were already trending towards that crisis. And it's a lot of factors. It's everything you all are talking about, right, It's growing up is hard, and kids are experiencing stressors while trying to find their identity and then they're accessing this information and their brain isn't developed. I mean, our brain's so fully developed till we're twenty five. So how do we truly comprehend what we're reading and what we're being exposed to if our brain can't truly do that? So yeah, parenting and family relationships and social connections is what helps it. That's what gets children through is being able to have those healthy conversations with their family members to help them understand what they're consuming.
Speaker 2: Well, this is fantastic this work that you guys are doing. Can you please tell us how people can get involved with on our sleeves, whether it's uh, you know, volunteering, donating, what what? What? How can how can people help out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so people can access all of our resources for free and on our sleeves dot org. You want to advocate, you there, we have a whole section on advocacy. How do you advocate? How do you talk about mental health? How do you talk about it in the workplace and your neighborhoods? And then you can follow us on our socials and spread the words, spread the message of what we're doing in our resources. We want to reach as many people as possible. And then, of course we are free, so if you would like to donate, we always appreciate that because that's the only way that we can stay free and make sure that anyone can access our resources.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. You've both been very very generous to come on and talk about this. Alex, maybe we'll, you know, work together someday, you never know. And uh, doctor Howat I love the work that you're doing, both of you, so thank you. Thank you guys so much for being here, and keep up the good work.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, see.
Speaker 2: You down the road.
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, thanks for listening to another episode of six Degree. Okay, so if you want to learn more about on our Sleeves and all the work that they're up to head straight to their website onoursleeves dot org.
Speaker 2: On our sleeves dot org, plus, you can find all the links in our show notes.
Speaker 5: I know I've said this before, but if you like what you're here, make sure you subscribe to the show and tune in to the rest of our episodes.
Speaker 2: You can find Six Degrees with Kevin Bacon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. See you next time, Yeah,