Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support.
Speaker 3: But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 4: Good morning, welcome the counterpoints. How you doing, Emily, I'm great.
Speaker 5: You just got back from a big trip. Might be a little jot ugged.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling good now.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was in Doha for some reporting and for a conference. I'd never been to Doha before. Kind of exciting to see that there are some of the roads down by the sea that are basically paved with the marble that we would use for our You know, if you're rich here put in your kitchen. They're paving their roads. Whether they're doing well, doing well in Doha.
Speaker 3: Another level of ridge they are there are another But are they rich enough for ghost energy?
Speaker 4: I'm sure some of them are.
Speaker 7: It also puts the inequality that all wealth rests on, like right, in your face because you have all these guest workers everywhere and here here you talk to your uber drivers and you're kind of like, no, no normal people with normal families here in the US. Over there, it's like, oh, yeah, I haven't been back to Sri Lanka for two years to see my family, and I make like, you know, five hundred dollars a month and intend.
Speaker 4: It all back.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: It's absolutely like there are so many people across this world living just the most difficult lives, and those are the people lucky enough to get those jobs right, which is it's it's a reminder of just what an ugly world we've developed.
Speaker 3: And we will be talking about some drop site reporting.
Speaker 5: Actually later in the show, we're going to start with obviously breaking news as it relates to Tel Aviv. This is just breaking as we were after we had prepped most of the show, So we're going to.
Speaker 3: Get to that in a moment. Updates on Lemonon.
Speaker 5: There is a truly remarkable Rashieta to lead Block retreated to leave kind of versus CNN or versus the world, if you could say that. We're going to get to just after we do some updates from the conflict itself, Kamala Harris and the filibuster saga that started in like twenty twenty two. Actually probably, I'm sure she commented on it before, but Joe Manchin has now said he will not endorse Kamala Harris because she told the radio station yesterday she wants to get rid of that philibus.
Speaker 4: There goes West Virginia. She had such high hopes.
Speaker 5: All those West Virginia voters going to the polls and voting to preserve the Phillibus.
Speaker 7: Joe Manchin himself didn't run in West Virginia because he was going to get crushed, so I'm not sure what his endorsement would have meant. But anyway, Yeah, yes, Cris and Cinema also not happy. And then we'll be talking about this lawsuit that the Department of Justice filed against Visa, which is excellent and awesome. It actually comes after Trump was pigging backing off of Bernie Sanders again saying that he's going to cap interest rates at ten percent. Talk about you know why they filed this lawsuit and what it might mean if they actually succeed for prices and for people who use debit cards, which is basically all people.
Speaker 4: And then what do we got.
Speaker 3: Oh, Marcellus Williams.
Speaker 7: Williams, Yes, yes, there was an execution in Missouri of and I'll give him his real name, Khalifa ibn rayfer Daniels. He converted while while in prison. Executed last night. Despite the fact that the family asked for clemency, the victims family, the victim's family asked for clemency, there are significant doubts about his conviction. The jury only included one black member after the prosecutor later admitted striking people because of their race effectively, and the prosecutor's office that originally prosecuted him wanted him to get clemency instead.
Speaker 4: He's dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we.
Speaker 5: Will break down all of the details and even talk about the larger trend because because I think just this month there's a host of executions that are scheduled to.
Speaker 7: Take place that is well a bunch of the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the pace is pretty high in the next couple of weeks. So we'll talk about all of that. Let's start on another bleak topic, which is we're going to be beginning with Tel Aviv Ryan breaking news out of Tel Aviv, where Israel says they says that it intercepted a missile that was heading for Tel Aviv. Now what we're hearing is that apparently that was the story from Hesbela is that it was intended for a Masad headquarters.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Masad headquarters in the suburbs of Tel Aviv. Which if this were a newscast about an assault on Gaza or on Lebanon, the newscaster would immediately say that Israel is keeping its military and intelligence infrastructure in civilian areas to hide behind human shields.
Speaker 4: And when we.
Speaker 7: See the reverse, we see how clearly it is, how clear it is.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make it okay to bombs.
Speaker 7: For some reason, the American public is swayed by that argument when it comes to say Gaza or Lebanon or anywhere else. Say oh, well it was in a suburb. That's well, I guess that's a real shame that they had to level all those apartment buildings in that entire civilion area, or that hospital they found, oh, they found a couple of weapons.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, people conflate those two things. The idea of as in this case, having the SOD headquarters in the suburbs, which is the same as the CIA for example, a lot of those intelligence agencies are out in the suburbs here, but then.
Speaker 4: Bomb costco here and if they're aim for the Pentagon.
Speaker 5: And no casualties reported so far in this case. But people will conflate having in a densely populated area like Gaza infrastructure that's near military infrastructure with people when they're literally hiding like bombs under children's beds.
Speaker 3: So two things are not the same.
Speaker 7: And another difference would be the actual firing of the missiles somehow, you know, Hamas or pij will fire missiles from very nearby like a school or a mosque or something else. But again that's related less to I think, you know, morality and more to just the massive asymmetry like Israel has the US sending you know, fighter jets and endless amounts of bombs and missiles and has the capacity to you know, to just launch from the air when when they go about building their infrastructure, they build their military infrastructure right into Tel Aviv.
Speaker 5: So again, no casualties reported so far in the situation. The death toll according to the Associated Press since Monday in Lebanon is five hundred and sixty four people. That's fifty children and ninety four women, according to Lebanese authorities. So there's been also attacks from Husbal and Northern Israel.
Speaker 3: A couple of people in.
Speaker 7: Labu's vo here of the this is very rude carnage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well this is southern.
Speaker 3: Lebanon, okay.
Speaker 5: And there was reports of people getting hit by shrapnel and a kabbotz in northern Israel. What you're seeing on your screen right now, Ryan, this is southern Lebanon, utter destruction.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And this is this is a man who was going back to try to get to his to his wife. Here's some other attacks that you're seeing across Lebanon. I think it's worth kind of setting up some of the contexts here for people who have been you know, focused you know, mostly on the Israel Gaza war and also the attack on the West Bank. So very very brief history of Hesbela like. They emerged as a result of the nineteen eighty two invasion of of Lebanon by Israel, and they formed into a guerrilla group to expel Israel and actually finally succeeded in doing so in two thousand and kind of became kind of heroes of resistance around the region as a result of it, and then began to embed themselves into the body politic of Lebanon, which is a very ailing and kind of psychotic body like it's just a complete it's a complete Lebanon as a state is a complete mess. In two thousand and six, they lost launched a little cross border raide and grabbed a couple of Israeli soldiers, and Israel then launched a massive all out bombing campaign and ground invasion into Lebanon, which turned out to be a failure, did not get the hostages back, and also withdrew, which again kind of raising the celebrity status in the region of Hesbola. But then in the twenty tens there was a Syrious civil war and Hesbula sided with Bashar Alsade. Now you can imagine why they would do that, because they are allies with Iran. Iran his allies with Syria, and so if Hesbel is a client of Iran and Iran's got business, Hesbel is going to carry out that business. But that meant that they were fighting with a lot of kind of stunny rebels in Syria. And killing a lot of Muslims, and that very much tarnished their reputation and led to a break between Hamas and Hesbela.
Speaker 4: Like they became adversaries. They were on the other side of this.
Speaker 7: Hamas was supportive of the uprising in Syria. But since then, right before a little bit before October seventh, Hamas and Hesbela had a Dayton and became allies again. And so right after October seventh, when when the rubber hit the road with the war between Israel and Hamas, hesbel immediately starts launching rockets, which sends sixty thousand roughly Israelis from the north scattering displaced back towards Tel Aviv and elsewhere. That is what is driving the political pressure to now go to war with Lebanon to try to get those sixty thousand people back into their homes who've been displaced for that long. Imagine how much pressure that puts on Israel. Sixty thousand people, gods is two million people into place, displaced for eleven months.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 7: In the same way that the Huthis, we're facing domestic problems and regional problems. Because of the civil war, there were able to politically overcome those by challenging Israel. Hesbela too is able to overcome it's problems that it had in the region by challenging Israel. It's the oldest story in politics. You got problems at home, you find an adversary somewhere else that people hate more, and everybody rallies around the flag. And so it is in the kind of domestic political interests of all of these actors, whether it's the Huthis, Iraqi Shea militia's Hesbela, to challenge Israel, and because it makes them look like they're standing up for gods of which they are and what Nozrala has keeps staying Hezbla and the Huthies as well, we are not ending this until the war on Gaza ends.
Speaker 5: This was going to be my big question for you with all of that context, because the open, the massive open question is does this escalate? And that's been the fear since violence broke out on October seventh. I mean, where do you see this going with Where do you see this going in terms of how it can pour even more sort of.
Speaker 3: Gas on this fire.
Speaker 5: If it's good, if it's in the interest of Hesbola politically to escalate. Does Hesbela escalate? Are there external pressures? A lot of people would say they're so. The argument from like the neo conservative camp would be that Iran is orchestrating all of this their puppets or they're like sort of chest pieces in Iran's game versus the West. So it's not necessarily what Hesbola wants, it'll be what Iran wants is how do you respond to that?
Speaker 7: So I don't think it's in well one point on that Iran has major influence over hesbla US has major influence over Israel. Both Israel and Hasbel have their own agency as well, though from their kind of superpower.
Speaker 3: And their own political motivations.
Speaker 7: Runs on a superpower, bigger power and their own political motivations. But I don't think it's in their interest to escalate. I think it's it's in their interest to look like they're putting up a strong resistance and continuing to put pressure on Israel to end its genocidal campaign in gods like, I think that's what that's what works for them. They they think, and Iran and Hesbel have been very clear and kind of the signals that they've been sending and that their proxies and putting out that they believe Netna who wants a regional war to bail himself out, that Neta is kind of stuck in a cull to sack of his own making and wants to just flip the table and see what happens on the other side.
Speaker 4: Like it's not even.
Speaker 7: Necessarily a strategy, but it's a strategy to blow things up and live live to see another day. And both Iron and Hasbela think, if that is the thing that our adversary wants, let's do everything we can to avoid giving him that, which is exactly what I and some other people were saying right after October seventh, that it was like Hamas launched this attack very clearly as a provocation to bring about an overreaction that would then discredit you on the world stage, on the world stage and the art your economy, and and flip the table and just see what happens upset the status quo. So if you're Israel, be smart, don't give them that. But they couldn't help themselves. So there are some who think that has Blow has been so thoroughly degraded by the intelligence infiltration basically. So it's interesting how in Gaza Hamas has obviously been completely you know, shell act, but they but Israel had to do it by destroying the entire area and then.
Speaker 5: Lives to see another day as an organization exactly.
Speaker 7: But they have not been able to but they've but they've been able to inflict a lot more damage more quickly on Hesbela. I think some of that has to do with how because Gods is such a closed off society, like literally physically closed off, and Israel has much less intelligence.
Speaker 3: Let's actually penetration. Yeah, let's put these up on the screen. So this is a two.
Speaker 5: This is a map of where you can see the latest death toll. And look at the concentration there in southern Lebanon if you're listening to this, a massive cluster of dots in southern Lebanon on the border with northern Israel. We also have r And this is I think sort of along the lines.
Speaker 3: Of what you were just talking to.
Speaker 5: If we put a three up on the screen, this is a map explain what we're seeing here and how it relates to everything you just mentioned.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so this is this is this is a map that basically Israel putting out saying like it's in Hebrew everything, and I put it for the next one. I think we have the translation and a bit of a translation in the next one. Basically, what they're saying is that when I said earlier that Lebanon is a mess of a state. So this is Ama Chikhly, Israeli Minister of the Aspirin combating Andy sim minister in the government, saying basically, Israel isn't a Lebanon is not a real government in a real state. It was you know, drawn by colonialists, Sykes. He talks about Sykes p Co. It's like the amount of projection and like irony and it is overwhelming. But he says, this isn't a real state, these borders aren't real. And by having these Lebanese civilians down here by this green line, it makes it more difficult for you know, our people who.
Speaker 4: Live in villages up the north to live there safely.
Speaker 7: So basically what they're saying is we need to push these Lebanese folks way up higher. Not a country, and it's not a country anyway, so we can just redraw it. Like he says, you know, the country actually a country's borders ought to be drawn by natural boundaries and power power politics, which okay, I guess that is how it's always been done. We're just kind of used to it being stable over the last one hundred years or so. Yeah, they're what they're implying there is that they're going to you know, run a campaign about the cleansing and clear it out of people so that they can repopulate northern northern areas. I mean, that has been a long time goal what's called greater Israel. But they've been but they've been able to infiltrate Hesbola in a way that has allowed them to kill an enormous number of senior officials and middlemen. The pager attack, it sounds like it named something like fourteen or fifteen one hundred people.
Speaker 4: It's a fighting for us of about forty to fifty thousand.
Speaker 7: But it's communications had been disrupted by all of the assassinations. You know, they moved from cell phones over to pagers. Then the pagers start exploding, so you know, there's it's an open question about how much damage has been reached. And so there are some people who are saying that the lack of a huge response so far is strategic and that it is related to Iran and Hesbela not wanting to give Israel this all out war. There are others who are saying they've really received a massive blow and that they don't even have the capacity, and that its supporters are kind of covering up the fact that they've received this major blow by pointing to a strategic pause like hold me back, hold me back.
Speaker 5: And before we get to this new drop site report that is chilling, could you walk us through what Pro Publica found in the investigation about Gaza yesterday. This was released yesterday. I believe as well. This is a four. We can put this up on the screen.
Speaker 4: Yes, so interesting interesting piece here.
Speaker 7: So Pro public is investigation here Israel deliberately blocked humanitarian aid to Gaza, to government bodies, concluded Anthony Blincoln rejected them. So on the one hand, we reported here a time based on my aquackmed at Hugh Post and actually devx, which does some great reporting on usaid and it's like a trade public focuses on development around the world, had reported that of the three agencies within the State Department that were asked to sign off on whether or not Israel was restricting humanitarian aid.
Speaker 4: Two of them said that they.
Speaker 7: Were restricting the aid, that that was their assessment on the ground that Israel was blocking aid from getting in the legal consequences of that was under this provision called six to twenty. I we can't give military funding to a state actor that is, at the same time blocking our own umanitarian aid from getting to the people we're trying to send it to. Pretty reasonable law. Kind of funny that we even had to put that into law. It's so common sense, like we're not no, of course, we're not supporting somebody who's actively our adversary and attempting to get humanitarian aid.
Speaker 4: Turns out we would do that.
Speaker 7: So the State Department, we're blinking at least, had to figure out a way to affirm to Congress that this law was not being broken. And his problem was that his people inside the State Department were telling him that it was the law was being broken. And what pro public it does have that hadn't been reported before is this fascinating email exchange at the very end of its article. So if you read that piece, just scroll to the very end and just it's very strange. Like their last six paragraphs are like awesome. The rest of it is like we knew all this already, but go to the last six paragraphs and read those.
Speaker 4: But basically what happens is the top.
Speaker 7: State Department official who really is in charge of moving the money, moving American tax dollars to Israel so Israel can send them back to US for weapons, is telling the General Council of the State Department, we really need to move this money, like they've got Israel has bills to pay, which is also absurd. They're not paying their own bills. We're paying the bills. We're just moving it over there and me it back. Hope, we're not paying banking fees to visa the like they were like Western Union the entire time.
Speaker 5: That should be the next drop site investigation. That is a big question.
Speaker 7: Who are the banks that are just like siphoning fees as we send money to Israel and Israel sends them back to Rosalin right for the weapons. But so anyway, they're like, look there, they got bills to pay, we need to move this money over there.
Speaker 4: But the General.
Speaker 7: Hou's like, ooh, but we still don't have approval yet because there's still questions about whether they're blocking humanitarian aid. So there's this email chain and a top eureaucrat writes back, a woman named noyus I forget her first name. She writes back, it's our assessment that they are. In fact, I'm still blocking humanitarian aid. And so the GC is like, so are you saying that they're in violation of six twenty I right, and she say, yep, that is our that is our assessment. So it's like boom, okay, don you cannot send the money. Then they take it offline. As pro Public reports, the woman a couple of meetings with seeing your officials, and she decides that you know, what Israel really is doing not everything that we'd like them to do, but they're they're really trying, and they're making commitments.
Speaker 4: They're saying things.
Speaker 3: And it is true that like the situation is true.
Speaker 4: They said things, and it's true.
Speaker 3: The situation is difficult.
Speaker 5: It's true that there are legitimate problems with like getting the aid to the right people in a war zone.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 7: But as like USAID in its in its private report that has since surfaced, they have examples of aid workers who Israel gives permission to evacuate along a certain route that they then run into an Israeli checkpoint, gets stopped. They're like, we have been approved to move through here. They're like nope, sorry, go back. They go back. IDF opens fire on them and kills them. So the USA it is like, Okay, maybe there are some challenges here to what we're doing here, but what they're doing is what they're doing is malicious. And they didn't use the word genocidal, but what they're doing is far beyond what is necessary.
Speaker 3: And how do you read the blink in politics into.
Speaker 7: This that Blincoln was clearly always just going to sign off on this, and you know, you know.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 7: Fortunately for Blanken, a decent number of State Department officials have resigned in protest over over this policy. So now he doesn't have to worry about them either. He can just h The only the only time that humanitaranian had ticked up a little bit was after that World Central Kitchen massacre. Yeah, and Biden and Biden had to get on the phone with then Yahoo say like, you need to do better, And for several days things were better, and then they went and they went back to normal.
Speaker 5: Speaking of things being well, I shouldn't say normal, but the sad state of normal, at least in the last couple of years. Ryan, let's put a five up on the screen, and can you talk to us about this story on drops about a capture journalist.
Speaker 7: Yes, so you guys might remember here a couple of weeks ago we talked on this program about an article that Mujahad al Sadi was a really well respected journalist writing mostly in Arab right, who writes in Arabic translate.
Speaker 4: He reported the piece for us.
Speaker 7: We translated it into English so that an English language audience could benefit from his journalistic skills. You may remember that, you know, he was one of the handful of journalists who was chased by that bulldozer and fired at in Janine while the while they were doing their reporting. You actually put up the next element.
Speaker 4: This is his piece that he wrote for us.
Speaker 7: So it turns out that this piece was early in September, on September nineteenth, so two thirty am in the morning, idf burst burst into his home and they and according to his according to his brother, they start beating him with the butts of their sixteen's he's you know, he's barefoot. It's two thirty in the morning, his wife tries to get him his shoes while they're like dragging him out of there, and they start beating his wife.
Speaker 3: And you've all learned those from accounts from.
Speaker 7: The family, the accounts from the family and other people that were kind of familiar with with how this happened.
Speaker 4: He had, he has he has three young children.
Speaker 7: So then they we learned that they moved him to Jalama prison where they interrogated him before transferring him to Megido, which is utterly and people can google an M E. G I D d oh utterly notorious prison. At least four people held there have died since October seventh. It's it's it's known for torture and absolutely kind of grotesque and barbaric conditions. And we have asked the Idea for information about about him, and they have told us that they'll look into it. That's the that's the best that we've gotten so far. He's he was if if you recall, he was friends with shrin Abu Wakhla, the colleague of hers. Was was with her, like standing basically right next to her the day that she was shot and killed by the Idea of Engineine. He's been a journal he's like, he's a very well respected journalist in the region. Not not well, I was going to say, not the kind of person who would expect this to happen to if Israel was trying to do that thing where they're like, oh, actually this guy's Amas.
Speaker 4: Amas. He's very well respected journalist Enganeine.
Speaker 7: Who as we sit here, it's difficult to comprehend the conditions under which he's he's being held.
Speaker 5: And really, you've gotten nothing from the idea. The idea is just totally mom.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, we'll get back to you.
Speaker 7: So we'll continue to continue to press on them. There are obviously a lot of organizations and supporters of his in the in the region who are also pressing for answers. But that's yeah, I wish I.
Speaker 3: Had more important story to follows.
Speaker 7: That I could report. We're actually we're gonna see what we can do. We're gonna we're launching a competition. If it's if it's out by the time this is up, I'll put it in the in the comment section of this. Maybe if you know, a couple hundred thousand people demand that he'd be released, it helps some pressure on that.
Speaker 5: I don't know the well yeah, I mean it's an important story to follow, especially you know, given how Israel uh sort of clings to the only democracy in the middle and.
Speaker 7: This comes after and right around the same time that they shut down Al Jazeera's Ramala, which Ramala is like that it's like the headquarters of the Palestinian authority, which is a subcontractor effectively of the idef of Israel.
Speaker 5: Quite a situation brewing in Michigan, Ryan with sort of Rashida Siali versus CNN versus the world. This has been an unfolding, wild series of events, unfortunate series of events really for CNN. But tell us how, Dana Nassel we can put this first element up on the screen factors into all of this in Michigan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think you could write do an entire course on media bias and duplicity on this like five day affair as actually more than five days, and we can get into why. But yeah, So to start out, Dana Nassel is the is the Attorney General of Michigan, and so she tweeted on September twentieth, which kicked all of this off. Rashida's religion should not be used in a cartoon to imply that she's a terrorist. It's it's lamophobic and wrong, just as Rashida should not use my religion to imply I cannot perform my job fairly as attorney general. It's anti Semitic and wrong. Now I remember seeing this post and thinking, boy, that is terrible. I hope nobody would do such a thing. And also, what's going on with this cartoon? So if this was on this day, a Detroit News cartoonist had published a cartoon in National Review. So here's a tweet here from dearborn mayor in front of the show, abdulahamoud Uh posting the National Review cartoon. So if you're if you're watching, if you're listening to this only by audio, it's basically saying why is my you know she's why is her pager exploding? Basically saying, you know, suggesting that Rashida Talib is like a member of Hezbolad is being targeted by the IDF.
Speaker 1: So like.
Speaker 7: Clearly deeply islamophobic cartoon that in a different kind of world would have kickstarted a news cycle where you'd have the media pressing critics of Talib as whether or not they denounced this attack on her this kind of baseless attack that came out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: Instead, I mean, yeah, well, I'll just say I disagreed that it's bigger than in islamophobic because the argument from a lot of I mean, it does come from a lot of particularly from Jewish conservatives who say that she they have these like deep suspicions that I completely disagree with that Rasheta Talib actually does side with the militant aspects of Palestinian resistance. Thus it would make sense that a pager that's there. That is their line of thinking. And I don't think that is necessarily big.
Speaker 7: That is their line of thinking. But the reason that I think it is bigger than Islamo phobus is the reason that they think sometimes but not has a lot to do with her Palestinian identity. She and Marcy Capped, She and Betty mcollum like agree on most things when it comes to Israel Palestine policy. Betty McCollum, though it's a white lady, so people don't accuse her of being a terrorist.
Speaker 5: I mean, people accuse democrats of being like even white Democrats of being terrorists.
Speaker 3: Like it happens.
Speaker 5: That's because and I think it's really wrong, because it's this idea that if you are opposed to Israel's military action.
Speaker 7: We don't live in a world where we ever would get a condemnation of that cartoon.
Speaker 5: But I don't disagree with you though that like that. There are people who just connect the dots and say, oh, well, she's you know, vaguely Arab, so she must of course be hesbolah.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: No, I don't disagree that that is a thing. I just don't think it's necessarily figoted.
Speaker 7: So Meg Whitmer comes on it, thenn Gretchen Wimer, I'm sorry, Meg.
Speaker 4: Meg Whitman is the New Jersey one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I thought you're thinking of Meg Whitman.
Speaker 4: Yes, scretch and big gretch.
Speaker 7: The governor of Michigan goes on Jake Jake Tapper's program, H and here's what he asked her about. Nessel responded by saying, quote, Rashida to Leave should not use my religion to imply I cannot perform my job fairly as attorney general.
Speaker 1: It's anti Semitic and wrong.
Speaker 4: Unquote.
Speaker 1: Do you think that to leave suggestion that So's offices biased was anti semitic?
Speaker 6: Listen, Jake, you know all I can say is that I know that our Jewish community is in pain, as is our Palestinian and Muslim and Arab communities in Michigan. I know that seeing the incredible tool that this war has taken on both communities has been really really challenging and difficult, and my heart breaks for so many But as governor, my job is to make sure that both these communities are protected and respected under the law in Michigan, and that's exactly what I'm going to stay focused on.
Speaker 1: But do you think Attorney General Nessl is not doing her job because Congressoman to Leeve is suggesting that she shouldn't be prosecuting these individuals that Nessl says broke the law and that she's only doing it because she's Jewish and the protesters are not. That's quite quite an accusation. Do you think it's true?
Speaker 6: Like I said, Jake, I'm not going to get in the middle of this argument that they're having. I can just say this, You know, we do want to make sure that students are safe on our campuses.
Speaker 7: So if you're watching that on CNN, you would assume that Rashida Talib said that Dana Nessel because she's Jewish is biased against Palestinians.
Speaker 4: That is what CNN reported she said.
Speaker 5: And it's because Dana Nessel said that just as Rashida should not use my religion to imply I cannot perform my job fairly as Attorney general. It's anti Semitic and wrong. So what the media is doing in this case is taking the word of a partisan actor, and we see it all the time. It's not new, but it is always worth noting that Jake Tapper picked up on exactly the point that Danasil made on.
Speaker 7: It exactly, and it turns out she didn't say that as Rashida. Tsleib did not say that, as would be evidenced by an actual reading of what she said in the original article in the Metro Times. But still, Gretchen Wittnmer Sorry, is under huge pressure, and so she puts out a statement gives to Jake Tapper, you can put this next element up on the screen. She says, the suggestion that Attorney General Nessa would make charging decisions based on her religion as opposed to the rule of law is anti Semitic. Attorney General Nessl has always conducted her work with integrity and followed the rule of law and must all use our platform voice to call out hayfel rhetoric and raiseist tropes. It's an interesting formulation there because the suggestion is anti Semitic.
Speaker 4: Okay, that suggestion is.
Speaker 7: She didn't actually make that suggestion anti Defamation League Jonathan green Blad, He jumps on it, it asserts that it happened, and then denounces it ironically doing if she wasn't a public figure, what would be defamation because he's saying something that is wrong and that would be checkable if he just bothered to read the entire article. Now here's what's fascinating. So we put up this next element here. The article that they're all talking about was published on September thirteenth.
Speaker 3: And Nessel responded on the twentieth.
Speaker 7: Nessel responded on the twentieth, the day she was attacked in that cartoon cynical instead of and she just brought it up out of a week later. And so what and we can get to this more in a second. What Rashida Talib said is that she has been too many protests in Detroit against police brutality, against racism, again, for climate change, climate justice, and on and on and nessl has never brought felony charges against any of those protesters yet is bringing them in this case. She then goes on to say we'll talk about this more later. That Nessel was under significant pressure from the University of Michigan regents and leadership, and that that created a biased approach to this, and.
Speaker 5: They got significant pushback from public public relations perspective, from an alumni perspective when those protests broke out, and they were obviously being responsive to that outcry in the media of the surge of anti Semitism at the University of Michigan, and some of their protests did get a little they got her.
Speaker 7: But Talive had tale was explicit about where the bias was. This pressure nothing to do with Jewishness. Dana Bash goes on cenn and after Jake Tapper, let's let's roll Danavash.
Speaker 8: Here and now to a sad reality, and that is anti Semitism is everywhere, and it comes from both ends of the political spectrum, but politicians sometimes sidestep calling it out when it comes from a member of their own party. We saw two examples on State of the Union yesterday, first with Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer when my co ancher, Jake Tapper, asked about a Democratic congresswoman's accusation that the state's Jewish attorney general was letting her religion influence her job. What does it tell you about the inability or unwillingness to do so when it comes from a prominent person.
Speaker 3: In your own part.
Speaker 6: Let you change your word.
Speaker 9: It's not anility, it's unwillingness. And it's because you're putting politics ahead of principle and morality. And that's what both of them did there. It's not very hard to say that. Rashida to Leib saying that Dana Nessel is pursuing charges because she's Jewish is an anti Semitic thing to say.
Speaker 7: It is, okay, yeah again, she didn't say that now because Twitter exists, there was a lot there was a lot of pushback from Ryan Grimm, from Yan Grim and other people. We're like, wait a minute, she pulling my hair out?
Speaker 4: What hair I have left? Like? She didn't say that, yeah, Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So finally we do get a clarification from Dana Bash, but not really.
Speaker 4: Here's what Dana Bash.
Speaker 8: Clarified clarification on a story We brought you yesterday concerning Congresswoman Rashida to Leed's comments attacking a decision by Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessl to bring charges against pro Palestinian protesters at the University of Michigan. T Leave accused Nessl of quote biases. Here's to Leave's full quote to the Detroit Metro Times. It seems that the attorney general decided, if the issue was Palestine, she was going to treat it differently. That alone speaks volumes about possible biases within the agency she runs. Now, Talib did not reference Nessl's Jewish identity. Her office has not responded to our request for clarity. Her allies insists that's not what she meant, but Nessel still says she believes it is anti Semitic and repeat it on CNN yesterday. That quote clearly she's referencing my religion.
Speaker 7: So again, if she wants clarity, she could go read the entire article where she says the bias comes from pressure from.
Speaker 4: The University of Michigan.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is the equivalent that you just saw of whenever somebody posts fake news on social media when they.
Speaker 4: Get called out.
Speaker 3: The follow up tweet.
Speaker 7: The follow up tweet is always yeah, but isn't it interesting that I believed it?
Speaker 4: Somebody it is?
Speaker 7: It is somebody said there's a saying in the Czech Republic that goes it's not true, but it might be. So that was That's basically the Dana Bash standard there. Jake Tapper also issued a bit of a clarification here.
Speaker 4: Let's roll Jake.
Speaker 1: Tapper, I should note that I misspoke yesterday when asking a follow up of Governor Whitmer, who I asked about this. I was trying to characterize your views of Talib's comments. What do you make of those today? Noting that Congressoman to Leave never explicitly said that your bias was because of your religion, and so it's unfair for you to make that allegation.
Speaker 4: It's kind of an interesting question.
Speaker 7: It's like, she never said it, so it's unfair for you to say that she said it.
Speaker 4: How do you respond to that.
Speaker 5: It's just it's the fact was too good for them to check out, because in a way it reminds me actually sounds like a hard pivot but of the Jesse Smalllleight story, because.
Speaker 4: It can we're just all ready to believe it well.
Speaker 5: Confirmed, it's confirmation by it, So one hundred percent is confirmation bias, so like it fits the larger truth, it fits this larger trend that we believe to be true. Therefore, I sort of automatically will take the word of Jessee smole. I will automatically take the word Juicy Smoleia, as David Chappelle would say.
Speaker 3: But I'll automatically take the word.
Speaker 5: Of Data Nessel because she seems to be the adults in the room in this interaction between If I'm being asked to choose between Rashida Tlib's truth and Dana Nessil's truth, I'm going to go with Data Nessel, and I will smear someone and accuse them of anti Semitism.
Speaker 7: The whole thing is just more evidence of the anti Palestinian bias that she said exists in these institutions. But here's how Nessl answered that.
Speaker 4: Question.
Speaker 3: Well, a couple things.
Speaker 10: First of all, in twenty twenty two, when my opponent accused me of being a groomer and a pedophile, everyone understood that those were homophobic remarks because I happen to be gay, right, I didn't have to explain it to people. Rashida Talib is an individual who is well known for making inflammatory, inflammatory and scendiary remarks that are anti Semitic in nature. So this isn't the first time that we would have heard these words out of her mouth. I think it's very clear to everybody exactly what she was saying.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, yeah, she's.
Speaker 7: Like I don't like her. I feel like she could have said that. So again, if we can put up this next element. The real pushback I think that got CNN Tech do this weak clarification was from the reporter of the actual article. This is a reply that he had to Jake Tapper said, I'm the reporter who interviewed Rishida Talib. She never said Nesselty did this because she's Jewish. Never, you are spreading lies unquote. And the Metro Times felt like they had to do a fact check, and so they wrote up a new story a week later saying, no, like she said what she said in our article.
Speaker 4: It's the funniest fact check ever. It's like all they did is.
Speaker 7: Like requote their own article, which which anybody else could have done. And we can put up B eleven, which is just so people have the specific context. Here's what Talib said, I think people at the University of Michigan put pressure on her to do this, and she fell for it. Talib says, I think President Ono and Board of Regent members were very much heavy handed in this. It had to come from somewhere. So that's in the original article in which you have Dana Bash and also Josh Kraushower or a Jewish insider. He wrote, you know, we didn't receive a reply from Talib requesting clarity on her comments about what she was referring to, because you see a lot of people saying, okay, well, she says that there's Nessel's office had Antie's Palestinian bias. It must be coming from somewhere, and therefore what she's implying is that it's actually because Nessel is Jewish. All you had to do is read the next paragraph and you question if you're actually curious gets answered.
Speaker 4: Here's the actual answer that she.
Speaker 7: Felt like she was pressured, and that the University of Michigan did not pressure nessl when it came to Black Lives Matter protesters or where it came to climate justice protesters, and so there is a difference. These protesters were treated differently the other difference to the University of Michigan pressure.
Speaker 4: That's what Talib said.
Speaker 5: It's amazing how from this entire sort of like cancel culture woke journey that we've been on in the last decade, how little lessons have been learned from applying overly broad definitions. And that's why when we were talking about the cartoon, it's like they have in their heads this own logic that ties or shoot it to leab to actual like militant groups, and I completely disagree with it.
Speaker 3: It's not rooted in bigotry for everyone.
Speaker 5: And there's just this reflex when it comes to accusations of anti Semitism. And I would say the same thing, like if we wanted to talk about on the right with jumping to accusations of racism or misogyny or whatever, that it's don't have their own logic. And the sad part of that isn't missus dealing with the actual logic. Like if you disagree with Rashida Talib's argument for Palestine, deal with it on those terms to smear her as an anti Semite. It's wildly kind of productive anyway, You're not even like making progress for your own cause.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And the other irony, of course, is that you know, Rashida Talib is not remotely like a supporter of violence, like that's not like that's she's somebody who was it was constantly making arguments for dignity, equality, coexistence, peace, that everybody should everybody should live together and value each other as as human beings, and that that gets read as being hamas and hesbala, which I think is proves the depth of the anti Palestinian bias that she talks about there. Jordan Sheridan, our buddy, had the reporter on his show and had an interesting exchange with him. Let's roll Jordan's interview here AT's be twelve.
Speaker 11: You know the attorney general you've reported on her? Was that surprising to you that she was a week later insinuating that congresswoman to leave had somehow, I guess, was inferring something about her being Jewish in her criticism.
Speaker 12: I thought it was a bold time to attack Rashida at a time when she just got attacked in a very disgusting racist cartoon, and she did it that day, so that surprised me. I have heard though, that Dana Nessel has been has taken this Hamas attack last year very seriously, and she's lost some friendships over it. But it did surprise me that she would come out and mention this on the day that that cartoon was published. But also I was surprised that she used Rashida's words, misrepresented them, and then attacked her based on that misrepresentation.
Speaker 3: That surprised me.
Speaker 11: I want to drill in on that because I think she Congresswoman Talib used to phrase biases to refer to the Attorney General, and I think that's what the Attorney General was zeroing in. That's somehow Talib was inferring by biases that she's Jewish. I don't take it that way, and I'm Jewish, but you were saying from your reporting Attorney General Nesso, who is Jewish. She has been, however, moved or affected by the Hamas attack and she's lost friendship over it, which would indicate to me that her charges against these pro Palestine protesters on student campuses, she might feel strongly on this issue, which might then lead to some bias, and she's charging them.
Speaker 7: In more rigid ways than other types of protesters.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Yeah, And to be clear, when I talked to Rashida Tleeb what she was talking about, that bias. She was talking about an anti Palestinian bias. That's across many institutions, news organizations, companies, attorney general's offices, governor mansions. There's definitely an anti Palestinian bias. And most of those institutions aren't run by Jewish people. So when she said that, she's referring to an anti Palestinian bias, not a bias because somebody is Jewish.
Speaker 4: Right, it was.
Speaker 7: And so even when queued up by Jordan to say, well, maybe there's something to it, because the reporter's like, no, that's that's that's not what she was talking about.
Speaker 3: And he was being fair to data Essel as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which yes.
Speaker 7: And also so Jordan, as people might have put two and two together, knows Data Nessel quite well because of all of his hording on the Flint Water scandal, and Dana Nessel ran on a promise to prosecute Rick Snyder for that never managed to do so. Rogida Talib's kind of first tweet was she couldn't manage you. Nessel couldn't manage to prosecute Snyder for the Flint Water crisis, but could manage to file charges against these Palestinian protesters, which again not about religion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, absolutely so. Yeah, those super interesting from Jordan. And I think you know this, Dana Nessel, Gretchen Whitmer coming. I mean, it is just Michigan right now as a swing state head of twenty twenty four is such a weird brew of these like little dust ups over basically like Rashida Talib and Dana Nessel and it's all getting so nasty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And this whole thing are to finish was just just wild to watch unfold.
Speaker 4: Which she didn't say that.
Speaker 7: How are we here five days later asking for clarifications and we reached out to Teleib's office. When you reached out to Teleab's office, she's already said what she said.
Speaker 5: I actually might add this to my journalism curriculum for the students because it's such a perfect example of them taking the word of a partisan director and recycling it as total and the objective.
Speaker 7: The nice part about this one for it for education purposes is you don't have to debate the underlying facts, like what she said is what she said, not how you do journalism, And you can't even you don't have to go to a place of Well, maybe she because she didn't say why she was biased.
Speaker 4: No, she said why they're biased.
Speaker 7: They're biased because University of Michigan put pressure on them to do this. Like she said that you agree or disagree with that, that's what she said.
Speaker 4: You don't need to it's not.
Speaker 5: A statement of anti semitism, very clearly. Let's move on to Kamala Harris, who this is the This is actually another kind of strange media story and strange politics story because Kamala Harris has been on the record, along with Joe Biden, opposing or actually supporting eliminating the filibuster, so opposing the continued upholding of the filibuster. Which Ryan, you'll correct my history on this. This is about the turn of the century. That the filibuster early nineteen hundreds, right, we get the philibuster late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 7: It's very complicated depending on which philibuster you're taught there are.
Speaker 4: The sixty vote.
Speaker 7: Threshold comes in like World War World War One, because they were trying to get weapons over for the war and you had a couple of anti war You got to get around them, folks, You got to get around them. So you said, okay, well, we can end debate with two thirds and then we're gradually like becomes sixty.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's not the Constitution.
Speaker 7: It's definitely not anywhere near the Constitution, nor was it intended to be part of the Constitution. They never imagined ever that you would need a sixty percent vote to get something past.
Speaker 5: But it's a democratic It is now seen as an absolute cornerstone of lower keysaur Republican government in the United States, and Kamala Harris and the Biden administration have openly supported getting rid of the filibuster since I think at least twenty twenty two. Kamala Harris was on a radio show in Wisconsin yesterday on WPR It's called Wisconsin Today. She told the host that she would support getting rid of the filibuster to codify Roe v.
Speaker 3: Wade.
Speaker 5: That kicked off a firestorm. So let's start actually listening to Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: Herself as well.
Speaker 13: Within our reach to hold on to the majority in the Senate and take back the House. And so I would also emphasize that while the presidential election is extremely important and dispositive of where we go moving forward, it also is about what we need to do to hold on to the Senate and win seats in the House. That being said, I've been very clear, I think we should eliminate the filibuster Farrow, and we need to get us to the point where we fifty one votes would be what we need to actually put back in law the protections for reproductive freedom and for the ability of every person and every woman to make decisions about their own body and not have their government tell them what to do.
Speaker 5: So Joe Manchin responded to this by telling Manu Raju, we can put this next element up on the screen of CNN asked if he would back her for president, Manu says, now that Harris has vowed to gut the philibuster on this issue, Rowe Manchion said he wouldn't back of a president.
Speaker 3: Quote that ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 5: I think that basically can destroy our country, and my country is more important to me than any one person or any one person's ideology.
Speaker 3: I think it's the most horrible thing. Now.
Speaker 5: Earlier, Manu noted that Mansin responded to Kamala Harris saying she wants to quote gut the philibuster to codify Row. As Manu put it, shame on her, said Manson. She knows the filibuster, it's the holy grail of democracy is the only thing that keeps us talking and working together. If she gets rid of that, then this would be the House on steroids.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: I'm personally up two minds on the filibuster, this conversation on the record, even with Ted Cruz, who has told me. I'm sure he's told other people too, but I remember having this conversation with him around twenty eighteen that he brought himself from this position of the filibuster being the holy girl of democracy to believing you should just get rid of it because he believes the left is going to get rid of the filibuster first, so you might as well go down the doom spiral with the left and at least get your priorities out of the way when you control Congress. And so it's kind of a race to the bottom mentality. But it's very interesting because Kirsten Cinema responded to Kamala Harris, let's put this on the screen, CEA three.
Speaker 3: She is right.
Speaker 5: Cinema says, to state the supremely obvious, eliminating the philibuster to codify Roe V. Wade also enables a future Congress to ban abortion nationwide. What an absolutely terrible, short sighted idea against Cinema is correct, but you would never this would be I'm curious for your take on this, because this is why a lot of people on the left support getting rid of the filibuster. Republicans would in sort of modern America at this point in time. I don't know if they could recover in a decade from banning all abortion nationwide. They just don't have the public support for that. There would be I mean, it would be significantly worse than Roe if suddenly every single state banned every every single kind of abortion. So they just the political will doesn't exist to do that in the country. So that would be I think the obvious rebuttal to Kirsten Cinema.
Speaker 3: But her point is correct.
Speaker 7: Her point is technically correct, and it has a history throughout the nineties and much of the two thousands. Inside the Democratic Coalition, one of the fiercest opponents of filibuster reform was actually pro choice groups, reproductive freedom groups that made that precise argument that Cinema is making that Republicans that we've got we've got Roe.
Speaker 4: In the Constitution. Supreme Court stands by it.
Speaker 7: You know, why risk letting Republicans overturn or enact actually abortion restrictions. They were saying, you know, basically underneath Row, what Republicans would do if they had a majority and no filibuster is they would enact a lot of these the restrictions that they were enacting at the state levels that would pretend to sort of comply with Roe, but would actually you know, make abortion much more abortion access much more difficult. That changed the pro choice groups changed their position on that throughout the two thousands and came out for philibuster reform, saying, no, we actually need to go on offense on this, and they argued, don't take this from a position of defensiveness, like this is a winning issue for Democrats. Here are the polls, and they would show these Democrats polls showing the massive overwhelming support for abortion rights and Democratic leaders I don't want to talk about abortionist gross I don't believe you.
Speaker 4: I don't believe these numbers.
Speaker 7: But when it came to overturning the filibuster, they put a lot of pressure on people like Barbara Boxer and others who were holdouts on filibuster reform cinema is like wildly anachronistic on this making that point like she was, and she was making she made this point. There was a push to get rid of it, you know, as Democrats were losing their majority, when they still had a chance to do it, after Roe was overturned. And even then she said no, I'm not doing it, And she gave this reasoning because you could ban abortion. People are like, buddy, they Supreme Court just overturned Roe v.
Speaker 4: Wade.
Speaker 7: You're talking about a hypothetical banning of abortion. Like what are you talking about? Uh, good news is it doesn't matter what she thinks. Like she's done.
Speaker 4: We took her out.
Speaker 7: Ru Rubu Diego is the Democratic nominees looks like he's probably gonna win, and he has said that he would get rid of the filibuster for abortion protections. Uh, basically the entire Democratic caucus has said that at this point.
Speaker 3: And it really was unthinkable.
Speaker 5: I mean, this was a norm that Joe Mansion is very much This what Joe Manson said to Monty Roger yesterday would have been greeted with polite applause in the halls of the Capitol before I don't know, five years ago before the Trump era.
Speaker 3: Really this actually was him using the holy Grail.
Speaker 5: Term is so resonant because that actually really was the standard.
Speaker 3: People saw this genuinely as the Holy grail.
Speaker 7: Ish I was actually there for this fight, you know, so like in two thousand and nine, it really really kicked off, was Obamacare. Yeah, because Democrats lost their sixty vote threshold, and also the kind of liberal bloggisphere and I was writing for Huffing Post at the time, did not love the fact that Joe Lieberman and a handful of other centrist Democrats who gave them their sixtieth.
Speaker 3: Vote, Joe Biden.
Speaker 4: Joe Biden, Well, now he was vice president by then.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's true. Well but he's still pro tem, yes.
Speaker 4: No doubt, and he loved being up there.
Speaker 7: So the argument was, don't let these guys have this power. You've got fifty nine and sixty whatever. Then as their numbers dwindled, the pressure became even greater. Then as McConnell sort of blocking judicial nominations, that's what it was. And in twenty thirteen, finally there was enough pressure that there was reform on judicial nominations. So, you know, lower than Supreme Court level. Now that we got rid of it for Supreme Court as well, So there there's been that push for this long. But yeah, now Democrats are basically there, But it was it.
Speaker 5: Was it was relegated to like, well, that's a Ryan grim idea, and the Joe Biden's of the world would be horrified. They would be totally in the Mansion camp. But to have Mansion be sort of the last man standing with Kirsten Cinema on this, well, Joe freaking Biden is on that point, like, well, Joe Biden is the one who was.
Speaker 3: Saying, yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 5: It's a huge change, And it was because the Ryan grimsort won out.
Speaker 7: We packed a lot of punch back then we could, we could we can sometimes literally we could.
Speaker 4: Land a real blow.
Speaker 7: Actually sometimes literally uh that Harry Reid spokespersons every time we would do something in the Philbuster. Yeah, their phone lines would just like it absolutely lit up.
Speaker 4: Like it's really funny Grim.
Speaker 7: But but Harry Reid like saw that and saw and saw the energy and it actually kind of transformed him as a as a politician. The question of whether they win the Senate is I don't think is uh, optim optimistic, as as Harris put out new polls. You know, tester is really struggling in Montana and they need to win in Montana or Nebraska.
Speaker 3: Well, and will he cauc it? What does he think on the filibuster?
Speaker 7: Dan Well, we asked him, he said, uh, basically, he said he's pro choice, but would he get rid of the Philbus Act?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dan Osborn, did we not ask him that? Well, we asked him about row, but I don't remember.
Speaker 4: What we didn't ask him about the filibuster.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, this is where we started this, Black saying it's kind of bizarre. We know where Kamala Harris stands on the filibuster, and because she told this radio station the news, Joe Manchin and Kirsten Cinema reacted and Joe Manson is saying she's never going to get my endorsement now, and it's like we.
Speaker 3: Have known this. It's just such a weird little media cycle.
Speaker 5: It's not really anybody's fault, but it's just crazy how one comment can suddenly become a news cycle and can raise the issue again when it's not new at all.
Speaker 3: It's not new at all.
Speaker 7: But if Democrats are smart they'll just run on it like it's an amazingly popular issue.
Speaker 4: I will codify Roe.
Speaker 7: If you give me this House, Senate, and the White House, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: And then the filibuster is not like super popular.
Speaker 7: And the reason on principle that I've been against the filibuster is that imagine a world in which politicians ran on a promise, got elected on that promise, and then actually enacted it into law, and then voters decided whether or not they liked it.
Speaker 4: Imagine that crazy system. Instead, we have the.
Speaker 7: System where you run on a thing and then you get into Washington and you can point to these parliamentary obstacles or legislative option. Well, yeah, I ran on this, but we're not gonna.
Speaker 4: Actually do it.
Speaker 3: We should get both art.
Speaker 4: Let's have another culture war fight two years later.
Speaker 5: It'd be fun to do something with Bovart's probably against it, right, Yeah, yeah, it would be fun to We should do that because it obviously is like a huge looming issue for everyone. It could completely change the way that this legislation has done.
Speaker 14: So.
Speaker 5: On that note, speaking of government working, Brian, let's transition to this block about VISA and the Department of Justice, suing the company over alleged monopoly practices. This is D one, a tear shoot from CNBC. You can see the headline. Justice Department accuses Visa a debit network monopoly that affects price of quote nearly everything. The Biden DOJ continues its streak of actually partially their streak when it comes to Google. That was a lawsuit that the Biden DOJ continued from the Trump administration. A lot of energy in the anti trust base, we know, Ryan, but going after Visa for a lleged monopoly practices, that's an escalation in a good direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And if we can put D two up on the screen there.
Speaker 7: The filing is about like seventy seventy five pages, and it's actually quite clear. It's well written and lays out, you know, precisely why they believe that Visa is an illegal monopoly and how they've gone about building a building a mote.
Speaker 4: And they have, you know, obviously they have like on all these good ones.
Speaker 7: They got good emails and other internal memos where the criminals lay out their criminal scheme, where they stay like this is this is how we're building our mote. It's like billiing a mote is anti competitive. Sherman Act says, you can't do that, like, you just can't like that. We have decided that that markets, in order for them to remain competitive, need some government intervention to block monopolies from completely controlling them. So they go through the history here where you know, Visa controls I think sixty to seventy percent of that debit transactions. MasterCard then has like twenty five.
Speaker 14: So it's not everything's fine, and that there were a couple of different things that happened over the last ten fifteen years that they lay out in this in this civil indictment basically civil complaint, which is one it's like, wait a minute, didn't we.
Speaker 7: Just have like PayPal and Venmo and all of these, like all this technology came about in the last fifteen years. How the heck is it that we still have this outdated technology that is still sucking seven billion dollars out of the economy every year. And that's like, wait, well, I don't pay when I swipe my debit card. Well, yes, you do pay, because the merchant that that you are buying from pays a fee to Visa and they passed that fee onto you, and so visa when all these new technologies were coming around saying uh oh, like, these are existential threats to us. They called Apple's app store or apples like Apple pay an existential threat. And the way that in a competitive, free market a company would respond to those threats is by delivering a better product at a lower price. That's how That's what you're going to hear from the Milton Freedman's.
Speaker 4: Of the world.
Speaker 7: Instead, they went out and cut deals with Apple, PayPal, all these other potential competitors and said, look, we'll just pay you to not get in our business, so you monopolize your thing over here, charge people exorbitant fees for these types of transactions. We'll charge people exorbitant fees for these types of transactions, and we'll pay each other because isn't it better for all making lots of money that we're siphoning off of consumers rather than competing with each other to offer a better product for less cost. And the end the competitors were like, hey, that's fine. This also goes to like quarterly.
Speaker 3: Which you can only get away with if you're huge and.
Speaker 7: Also right, but also the way our system is set up they call it, you know, quarterly capitalism where you're every quarter, you know, you're reporting your revenues to the market, and your your compensation as an executive is tied directly to those earnings because you're paid mostly in equity.
Speaker 4: The bulk your pays in equity.
Speaker 7: As as your revenues go up, share prices go up, your equity goes up. You become richer than you switch jobs like you don't care, like you're just trying to so for somebody, like a PayPal or another competitor, A potential competitive Visa might say, you know what, it's going to take us three years of investment and work to get to a place where we're competitive with Visa on this particular thing. That's a lot of quarters, that's a lot of quarterly conference calls where we're losing money and I want to leave here within two years, and I would like to leave here having made forty five million dollar as a vice president or whatever. And so they're like, and instead, Visa's offering me this amount of money right now if we don't compete against them, which will lead directly to a bonus for me, wouldn't that be nice?
Speaker 4: Let's do that instead.
Speaker 3: It's really aggressive from the Biden administration. I mean Visa.
Speaker 5: This is the senator from Delaware. By the way, This is, if you need it, the evidence that Joe Biden is not in charge of his own administration.
Speaker 3: You just know that they're going after Visa.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, if he found out about this, he's going to be so pissed. They used to call him a democrat from MBNA, which was the gigantic credit card company in Delaware.
Speaker 3: So maybe he wants them to go after Visa.
Speaker 7: Well they they got bought up, so they're basically Visa by now. But one thing that's interesting here, we're talking about democracy in the last block this sort of thing, because our democracy is so corrupted and bought off has to come from the Department of Justice or the FTC at this point. I spent a couple of years back in like twenty ten to.
Speaker 3: Eleven, Yeah, speaking of you being old.
Speaker 7: Thirteen, Yes, covering this intense fight over what are called swipe fees between basically merchants and these credit card companies back in like twenty eleven in Congress. It was it was the most It wasn't covered by the major press because nobody cares because it's just a fight between two major, major power players, but they were employing maybe over a thousand journalists spending hundreds of millions of dollars getting meet like lobbyists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dominating whoops, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Dominating the entire congressional legislative agenda, fighting over what you would set a swipe fee cap at or whether there would be a swipe feed cap which rolled out of what was called the Durban Amendment from Dodd Frank. The Derbtin Amendent actually makes an appear and in this lawsuit because the DOJ points out that the Durbin Amendment had a provision that said every debit card has to have two visa in somebody else that are able to use it, which would then allow merchants to choose say, Okay, you know what, Actually I don't want to take Visa because Visa charges these huge fees. So your card also has MasterCard, so I want to you can use MasterCard that's cheaper here at my store. And what Visa did to get around this new law that required these two things. They went to stores and they said, all right, we have a lot of what are called non competitive transactions where the person only has Visa, so you can only do VISA on those If you cut a deal with us, we're gonna make them fairly cheap. And the deal is you then have to use us for everything racket. If you don't cut a deal with us, then we're charging you a boat out of money for every one of those non competitive transactions where they have to use visa. So all these merchants were just totally jammed up, and they had to sign these agreements that lock them in and doj is saying the agreements are are illegal and the court auto oust all of these. I just want to read one quote from this if put up this third element here, so I think this is the most fun story that I've ever written. It's go back and read this one. You will absolutely die reading it.
Speaker 5: I want to do like a Stefan like it's got everything saxby Chandelis.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's amazing, it's incredible.
Speaker 3: No use of the word twit pick.
Speaker 7: Twit pick used to be a thing, and cups, cups.
Speaker 4: It's such a fun story.
Speaker 7: But here's one of the most fun quotes from a moderate Democratic senator. He said to me, I'm surprised at how much of our time is spent trying to divide up the spoils between various economic interests.
Speaker 4: I had no idea.
Speaker 7: I thought it would be focused on civil liberties, on education policy, energy policy, and so on. Senator, there's a senator that the fights down here can be put in two or three categories. The big greedy bastards against the big greedy bastards, the big greedy bastards against the little greedy bastards, in some cases even the other little greedy bastards against the other little greedy bastards. What he's saying is that Congress is like a host that has shaped itself to the parasites, and the parasites are the lobbyists. And so both parties are trying to figure out how much cash they can raise for their campaigns. So they go out and they tried to find things that two big industries will fight over. Sales tax on Amazon was like another one because so, and it's basically the same way the mafia. Yes goes to a store and is like, nice store, you got here, seameus, something happened to it. They smash the windows up and then they pay them off, and then they don't smash the windows up anymore. So what Congress would do is deliberately we produce legislation that they think would be destructive to some powerful interest like Visa, and say, wow, you're making a lot of money on those swipe fees. We're going to put together a bill that caps the amount that you're able to charge these merchants. And then they go to them, and then they go to Visa and they say, hire all of our people, give money to all of our campaigns, and maybe we won't do this. Then they go to the other greedy bastards. They go to Target, they go to Walmart, they go to Home Depot, and they say, don't you hate Visa the way that they American express They're really ripping you off, aren't they. We've got this bill that will stop them from ripping you off. And all you got to do is hire all of our friends and donate to all of our campaigns. And then they will drag that out for years. That fight over the Durban Amendment is still going on today.
Speaker 5: That Senator's heart is absolutely in the right place, but it is such a naive like approach to government.
Speaker 3: That is of course what this is.
Speaker 5: This is Vegas, baby, This is Vegas with seventies.
Speaker 3: That is our economy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you kind of have to have the DOJ do it, and luckily, but usually the DOJ won't. Usually they won't, right because of the revolving door.
Speaker 5: It's not necessarily that they're being lobbied, it's that they.
Speaker 3: Want to lobby.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Do you know how much lobbying there was against Jonathan Canter getting into the DOJ to run the antitrust policy of the vitaminstry Reid.
Speaker 5: Hoffman is openly lobbying Kamala Harris right now, not as a registered lobbyist, but just as a rich dude with a lot of power in public platforms to get rid of Lena conm The.
Speaker 7: Good news is during the New Deal, they did pass this law that says you can't do this, and so the White House at least until the Supreme Court says they can't enforce laws that weren't passed within the last five minutes, they can still they can still enforce laws that are on the books. We'll see if they feel like it good for them. All right, what well this will do lower the price of everything.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to this port strike Ryan prices.
Speaker 5: Just speaking of prices, we can put this first element up on the screen, and this is from the load Star USMX in Isla and claims Blame Game. As strike deadline looms, can you break this one down for us Ryan. We're covering a lot of Ryan Grim topics today, which is great because it's always educational and enlightening what's happening with this contract.
Speaker 7: First of all, credit to this shipping trade publication for claims Blame Games.
Speaker 3: That's funny, It is New York Post worthy.
Speaker 7: It is good, and you don't see that from trade pubs very often. The reason we're using a trade publication article here is because there's been very little mainstream coverage of what's going on here. If the International Longshoreman Union and this conglomerate of basically dudes that run ports don't come to a new contract by October first, the ports are going to shut down all along the East Coast and the Gulf. So as a result of that, already lots of shippers are moving their shipments over to the West coast. Uh and as the trade press talks about, a lot of kind of holiday merchants moved their orders way up like they're already getting in their Christmas tree, their artificial Christmas trees and all the other junk that we're going to buy buy for each other in the holiday season so that the shelves will be stocked. Because the business side here is, according to the union, offering utterly paltry wages and then lying publicly about the way that they're kind of doing the math and saying, oh, look at this huge increase or giving. And so they haven't met in months and we're at an October first deadline. The White House has said it will not use its federal power to kind of force these workers back to work. If you remember, that's the same law that they use to force the railroad basically force a contract on the rail workers a couple of years ago. They could do that again when it comes to this one. And it seems like the bosses here are banking on the fact that the White House will do that. They're saying, we don't need to negotiate with you because in October first, port shutdown would be such an absolute political crisis.
Speaker 4: They're probably right that the White House will actually.
Speaker 7: Does pete boota judge, because it's boota judge who is basically responsible for kind of being the secretariat who is in between this and trying to get to a deal. Does boota judge want this to.
Speaker 4: Be this thing?
Speaker 7: So the unions mean to want to like, just give us a decent deal and we'll come back to work.
Speaker 3: Lots of leverage.
Speaker 7: Now, one thing they could possibly do is kind of force them back to work until after the election, which is sort of what they did with the rail workers if you remember then. And what you can do is you can force them into mediation. So I tend to think that they're not going to let strike happen October first. But according to their current statements, they are now well I don't know what kind of brinksmanship that is or not, but the workers do not seem like they're in a position to get rolled over here.
Speaker 5: And what can so actual question here what Biden's power hypothetically would be in these negotiations.
Speaker 3: It probably looks what we saw. It's pretty surreal.
Speaker 7: It's pretty serious power because it involves the transportation and the cornerstone economic interests. There as a Taft Hartley Act that allows, you know, significant intervention from the US not.
Speaker 3: Just allows, but sort of incentivizes for the federal government in case.
Speaker 7: Of and and the and the bosses have relied on that for you know, since the forties or whatever to say, you know, we don't you can't go on strike because the government's going to come in and stop you. But I think they took they took a lot of heat for that, for forcing that contract on rail workers, and they certainly would rather not have the political optics of being anti union right in October before the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and you know, it's funny because this was sort of a parallel situation to what Mike Johnson was facing this week with the government shutdown on the eve of the election that he knew Republicans were going to be blamed for, which is why he and sort of Republican establishment ended up siding with the signing with Democrats and brokering a deal on the Save Act and doing this three month stop gap that would end in December, which is certainly going to result as freedom Coccus types are saying, in a big spending package right before Christmas, a nice little Christmas present, because nobody wants a shutdown over Christmas. We've seen it before, of course, but nobody really wants it. And Mike Johnson's logic explicitly was that we are not risking a shutdown, shutting down the government as Trump wanted over the Say Act, which is basically creates protections so that you can't have non citizen voting in federal elections. Shutting down the government over that would not be politically viable, politically worth it. So basically the leverage was with the people who were saying like Freedom Coucus had no leverage in this situation. And the billionaires that are being called out by these union leaders don't really have leverage in this situation because all the money in the world that they can give to Joe Biden isn't going to offset how serious the threat to the election would be. If we remember back to the the real uprising after what happened in East Palestine, this was the level of political crisis for Biden and Buddha Judge was incredibly high. And to have that literally weeks before a presidential election, I mean, they have a pretty good case going to the Biden administration.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 7: It's an interesting test for Mayor Pete Secretary Pete see to see if you can get a deal here. And I wanted to cover this even though nobody else is is that there's no, they don't pay any price by forcing workers back to work.
Speaker 4: If nobody knows it's happening in the first place.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: If if nobody, if nobody's talking about it, then the White House could actually much more easily just jam them and so you know what nobody's looking just go back to work.
Speaker 5: Well, so, Steve Lemmar, the President and CEO of the American Association of Footwear and Apparel, makes a very very very good case to Biden. He says, our members, if they can get their product to market at all during the critical holiday shopping season, will only be able to do so with massive delays at an exorbitant cost. Exporters, particularly agricultural exporters, will literally see their product wrought on the docks or in the rail yards. And just when inflation has started to come under control, American families will face the surgeon prices and product shortages not seen since the pandemic.
Speaker 7: It would be a disaster, Yeah, absolute disaster, no doubt about it. And they say that for every day that the ports are shut down, it takes about five days to clear that backlog. So even if there was only a ten day strike, you then you're talking about a two month backlog, and exactly just as the federal reservest.
Speaker 3: Go, it's already a problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Oh, by the way, I was gone, so I didn't get through my victory lap. I was correct on the half point cut.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I saw that right away. I was like, this is perfect. That's why I didn't guess.
Speaker 4: But you know, it was trading in the market.
Speaker 5: A great call. Yeah you could have. I'm sure that there were predicted bets on that.
Speaker 4: Oh, the whole market is a predictive.
Speaker 3: That's true at this point.
Speaker 5: Again, it's all Vegas. It's all Vegas all the time. On a much bleaker note, let's turn to the horrible case of Marcel's Williams, who was executed in Missouri at six ' ten pm yesterday. Now, this case goes back to nineteen ninety eight, the August murder of a Saint Louis Post Dispatch report Felicia Gail. Felicia Gale's family believed that Williams was guilty but opposed his execution. Was not at his execution, which is typical of families will often go to the viewing of the execution. Now, there was no forensic evidence that ever tied Williams to this crime through circumstantial evidence, but even that had been contaminated. This is a very typical death penalty case where there's been sort of legal back and forth for literally decades. At this point, there's been evidence in both directions there's been a man with poor legal representation, as we've seen in filings that things just ended up getting botched.
Speaker 3: Or poorly ordered or poorly argued along the way.
Speaker 5: The state Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court both rejected last minute please for Williams.
Speaker 3: Top from Williams.
Speaker 5: Camp, but this is I mean, the prosecutor from his two thousand and three convictions, so five years after this alleged murder did not support the execution. The family of the victim did not support the execution. There were stays granted to Williams back in twenty fifteen and twenty seventeen, also very typical of death penalty cases. But he was executed yesterday in Missouri.
Speaker 7: And the Supreme Court, the Federal Supreme Court, by six to three let the execution go through. Obviously, the three liberal justices would have stayed the execution, the six conservative ones went for it. He converted to Islam while in prison Khalifa ibin Rayford Daniels was his new adopted name.
Speaker 4: Was really I don't think we've talked about the death penalty.
Speaker 7: The part that has always flumixed me about conservative support the death penalty is that conservatives are quick to point to all of the problems with government inefficiency. Yes, grew ups, yes everywhere, whether it's the regulation of the markets. They say, you know, like there's government bureaucrats, they're going to screw things up. Yet in a life for death situation, they're willing to let these county bureaucrats, you know, the same people that populate the show like Parks and rec like. Let those people handle the evidence, handle the prosecutions with immense amount of power, very little oversight, and when it comes to life and death, you can't make mistakes. And from the conservative perspective, like governments are making mistakes all the time.
Speaker 4: And in this one.
Speaker 7: There was the defense argued that there was also racial bias because a prosecutor struck I think six of seven black people from the jury pool, so there was only one black person in the jury pool. And he said, and he specifically said, I struck one of them because he looked too much like Marcellus. It's like, well, I think you just admitted what's going on here, but it wasn't enough. So are you Yeah, where do you come down on that question?
Speaker 5: This issue turns me into a bleeding heart like campus leftist. It was one of the earliest issues that animated me politically. So I'm the worst person for a show called Counterpoints.
Speaker 3: Next to you on this.
Speaker 7: Well, at least you're consistent on the whole pro life thinges it.
Speaker 5: It makes me so angry, and your point about bureaucracy is such an important one. I just have a plain moral opposition to the state carrying out I mean, I think self defense is a legitimate, you know, explanation to take another life ers. I think we all mostly agree on that legitimate cases of self defense. I don't think the state has a right to take life like this, nor.
Speaker 3: Do I think it should.
Speaker 5: I think the drugs are incredibly problematic and basically forms of torture that we're also asking bureaucrats to come to conclusions on an experiment with humans. On ze Jelani has already blasted out a great piece on this particular case as sort of a hook in his subsect The American Saga, his headline is, yes, innocent people have been executed, but the death penalty is also slowly being phased out. Both points absolutely true. But if we're focusing on what you just mentioned about conservatives jumping to support the state executions and death penalty cases despite bureaucracy being an abject disaster that is often politically weaponized and just incompetent, Z points out in his piece this number that is astounding, but it's you again. You can look all of this up. In the past five decades, at least two hundred people who've been executed have actually been exonerated after they were executed. Two hundred people in the last five decades. So that's not just cases that are murky. This case is absolutely murky.
Speaker 3: This is not a.
Speaker 5: Clean cut case. It has gone fairly through the legal system. I don't need to adjudicate whether he's guilty or not, because my position.
Speaker 3: Is just as wrong.
Speaker 5: But it's not a clear cut case. And we have seen two hundred times that after people have died, at least two hundred times, because there are case is probably still to come just out of the last five decades, but two hundred times where people are exonerated, exonerated, black and white, clear cut exonerations after being executed.
Speaker 3: So it's just that's.
Speaker 5: One, I think, very obvious argument against the death penalty that should give many people who are distrustful of government pause. But just the stunning figure, stunning, stunning, And maybe it's because of technological advances that, as Zed points out, these trends are moving in the other direction. But we still have a spate of executions scheduled for what the next couple of weeks. There's a good Associated Press story on this. I mean, it's absolutely still happening.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a huge like upticking and coming over the next couple of weeks. Totally wild. But if we could put up f F two here, which is a quote from this local article, just to give you the background here, you know, face face with it, so face with the DNA evidence and other new information. Williams case, Saint Louis County prosecuting attorney Wesley Bell, who defeated Corey bush Uh sought to toss out the conviction on numerous grounds, including the results of the DNA testing and constitutional violations during the jury selection process.
Speaker 4: So this was this was the prosecutor's office.
Speaker 7: Saying that after reviewing the way that things were handled, they would they wanted to see this tossed out. It was so poorly handled that when then when they took the knife to get it tested, the only DNA they found on it was a bunch of assistant prosecutors who've been who had been improperly handling the evidence. And so once that emerged, the Williams had no way of getting out of you know, no way of kind of moving innocence, and said, look, I'll take life, I'll take life, just don't kill me.
Speaker 4: And the family was fine with that.
Speaker 7: Prosecutor signed off, but the Missouri governor and the judges insisted on moving forward with it.
Speaker 4: And so we can put up this next vo here.
Speaker 7: This is a footage of more than a million petitions asking for Williams's execution to be stayed being delivered to the Missouri Governor's office, evidence of the just intense amount of a public opposition to this state's sanctioned killing, and the governor just decided to go forward with it anyway.
Speaker 5: Now, there was a moment on Jake Tapper's show that happened just last night where Marcel's Williams attorney, Innocent Project. Innocence Project attorney heard the news from the Supreme Court right before the interview began.
Speaker 3: Let's roll this element.
Speaker 1: Have you spoken to Marcellus today?
Speaker 15: The team has spoken with him today and actually we just spoke with.
Speaker 3: Him momentarily ago.
Speaker 15: We actually just got news that the US Supreme Court has denied a stay.
Speaker 1: The US Supreme Court has denied a stay. That's horrible news. That means that that's it. That's the end of that. There's just nothing else that can be done unless the governor has a change of heart, which seems unlikely.
Speaker 15: That is correct under what we have currently from the law and the governor tonight, Missouri will execute an innocent man and they will do it even though the prosecutor doesn't want him to be executed, the jurors who sentenced him to death don't want him executed, and the victims themselves don't want him executed. That is what will be the state of justice tonight in Missouri.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that the governor or the state Supreme Court, why did they deny him climency? Why have they not stayed this execution?
Speaker 15: And what we hear time and time again, is this argument of finality.
Speaker 3: It's too late. Things should have been brought before.
Speaker 15: We you know, things have been heard before, but they've never been heard with this evidence. They've never been heard with what this prosecutor knows and concedes to that mister Williams had an unfair trial, that the prosecutor admits that he struck jurors based on their race. But we have a system that values finality over fairness, and this is the result that we will get from that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and at minimum, you would think that if you really want to get it right, and you really have got the evidence and you can prove the trials unfair, trium again.
Speaker 4: Triump fairly well.
Speaker 3: But this is what's so I think this is so.
Speaker 5: Partially harrowing and unsettling about these really content, very modern death penalty cases, is that he has been tried so many times and it is still a question mark. I mean, you know, like we have gone through this, This man has sat so many appeals, you mean, right, right, Like this has been litigated over and over again for decades, and the family has had to put up with it for decades. The victims family has had to put up with it for decades, and it's just incredible how you can keep going and going. This is I'm reading from Saint Louis and pr This is just a little bit more details on what happened, because it was a lot of kind of back and forth. They write, Williams had always maintained he had nothing to do with the murder of Gail. Police would find some of Gail's possessions in a car that belonged to Williams, and he pawned a laptop belonging to her husband, but no forensic evidence like DNA, hair or fingerprints ever tied him to the scene. He was convicted largely on the testimony of a former girlfriend, Laura Asorrow, and a jailhouse informant named Henry Cole.
Speaker 3: I believe Laura. Yeah. Both of these witnesses have since passed away.
Speaker 5: That's how long this case has been, pinging back and forth through appeals, going on for and to end with still again a question mark. The case study is an argument in and of itself against the death penalty, like the way that this has all been prosecuted for decades. There are five executions that are said to happen in the span of a week The Associated Press has the story. The first one was on Friday in South Carolina. There's another one Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma, and according the Associated Press, it's the first time in more than twenty years that five executions nationally have been held within seven days.
Speaker 3: So I think that is right to point out.
Speaker 5: And I think, to some extent, as we were mentioning earlier, DNA evidence probably accounts for a lot of this, which is such a sad statement in and of itself.
Speaker 3: But right now, this week five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we didn't hear anything, by the way, from Kamla Harris on this, who when she was district's attorney, often used the argument in exoneration cases that well, you may have a good point there, but you missed the filing deadline, or you didn't make this claim of poor council previously when you could have. It's like, well, of course you didn't because you had poor counsel. So, yeah, her hands are not clean on this by any stretch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean there's obviously racial variables, but also class variables, incredible class variables in the new class conscious conservative movement. To consider there you go, so bleak note to end on, but an important one, Ryan, Glad.
Speaker 3: You got back safely.
Speaker 7: Good time in Doha, Ryan Grim in the Middle.
Speaker 5: East, I would be a little nervous. You've done some your reporting is too good. It's too good for you to be perfectly calm.
Speaker 4: But it was totally fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, you're speaking for Georgetown.
Speaker 7: Yeah, was at a Georgetown conference and did a couple of interviews some stories that hopefully will pan out in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll be watching for those.
Speaker 5: We will actually be back here before I think next Tuesday show because the debate is on our next Wednesday show.
Speaker 3: Because the debate is on too.
Speaker 4: Wow, I guess I will be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's coming right up. I'm feeling for Sager on Monday. But then Tuesday we'll all be here breaking points. Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll bring some Ghosts.
Speaker 4: No Friday show this week.
Speaker 3: No Friday show this week. Sorry about that, producer Mac.
Speaker 5: We should also clarify that we have zero paid sponsorship with Ghosts. We just really like it. But Ryan's been drinking coffee, so I don't know how it could possibly be terrible for you when it has one hundred percent of four daily vitamins.
Speaker 3: There you go anyway, Thank you so much for tuning in.
Speaker 5: Breakingpoints dot com for the full version of this show right away to your inbox early, and it doesn't get cut up into a little clips, so it's a nice little, nice little park breakingpoints dot com to subscribe. Thanks everyone for tuning in, all right, see you next week.
Speaker 10: M