Speaker 1: This is Alec Baldwin and you're listening to Here's the thing from iHeart Radio. The saying used to be behind every great man is a great woman. But considering my guest today, perhaps that should read behind every great woman is a great woman. Huma Aberdeen is someone who has spent her entire career in public service. Her work with Hillary Rodham Clinton began as a young aide in the First Lady's office, then as a senior advisor to the Senator, deputy chief of staff to the Secretary of State, and now as her chief of staff. Abdeen's decades of collaboration with Clinton bring to mind Richard Nixon's farewell speech to his White House staff, who noted, quote, this house has a great heart, and that heart comes from those who serve now. Huma Aberdeen has written an intimate and revealing best selling memoir on her life, entitled Both And. The book covers her time working in government as well as her personal struggles, including a very public divorce from former Congressman Anthony Weener. With such a substantial career in politics, I wanted to know if Aberdeen's upbringing is what set her on the path to where she is today.
Speaker 2: My mother is a sociologist. My father studied American civilization, which that's one of the reasons he ended up in Penn They don't really teach it or have that course in many universities now. Yeah, and then they they are from two countries that were at war, and so they decided they got asylum here and moved to Michigan and they My dad taught at Western Michigan. My mom taught at Kalamazoo College.
Speaker 1: How long were they living here before you were born or had you been born? I was you were born here.
Speaker 2: I was born here and when I was two, and we thought we were going to say here forever. I Actually I have this whole thing in my life about sliding doors. It's not maybe very healthy, but like what if, what if? What if? And I've often thought about what my life would have been like if I had lived that Midwestern life, which I almost did. But when I was too my dad was diagnosed with basically you know, terminal illness. He was renal failure and his doctor said, you know, you have five to ten years and get your affairs in order. How long did he live after the diagnosed, Well, it's amazing that doctor was exactly right. His kidneys survived ten years to the day they failed. And it's one of the first lines I wrote in my book. My dad was told he was dying.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I ever want to see that doctor.
Speaker 2: It was amazing, I mean amaze. But the difference between nineteen seventy seven in Kalamazoo, Michigan and thankfully nine years later, the possibility of getting on the transplant list became, you know, something real, which only happened because my mother was so tenacious. So he then went on dialysis. So he lived till I was.
Speaker 1: Seventeen, and when did you go over there?
Speaker 2: So two months after his diagnosis, my parents had an option to take a sabbatical and their choice was either Italy or Saudi Arabia. And then well, interestingly, they had always decided. They had always thought they would go to Italy. They thought it would be this great adventure, they'd go to Italy. And then my father gets this diagnosis and he thought, you know, I want to teach my children about their culture, about their faith. We're a Muslim family. It seemed like more of an interesting and it was, you know, just a year. So they said, why don't we do Saudi. It was definitely the hardest choice. My mother actually said, when you know, my father said let's go to Saudi, She's like, and I was too. She says, they even have diapers in that country. And I think about how intrepid they were. They landed, they didn't speak the language. My mother all of a sudden had to veil herself actually.
Speaker 1: Italy, Saudi Arabia, Italy.
Speaker 2: I think they decided that, you know, there they could. It was more of a challenge, and I think they liked that. My mother taught herself Arabic to teach her students, and then after a year they actually decided to come back and then come back, and that was, you know, forty four years ago. They kept going to teach. My mother taught sociology, and my dad, you know, he arted very early on. He he taught a few years been very early on. He opened a foundation. And that's actually one of the reasons. Even though the foundation was based in London, but it was a foundation that produced an academic journal that studied the condition of Muslims who lived as minorities around the world. And my dad's expertise was actually in Russia. Well, back then it was the USSR, the Soviet Union, and it was his You know, I often say this, You know, my father was really prescient about a lot of these issues. He basically said, look, if we don't figure out as Muslims how to live in the world with the rise of the West, we're going to have problems. And sure enough he predicted Bosni I predicted so much of what we're now, this these convulsions that we have. And in part his theory was, look, if you are practicing Muslim wherever you come from in the Arab world or you know, through the Muslim world, and you choose to live in the West, you cannot go there and live in your own little bubble. That's just not You're not. You have to You're going to go and live in France. You need to become French. And also you.
Speaker 1: Can do as the Romans do exactly.
Speaker 2: And then and that was the way he thought that we could succeed in this world. And I think he was right, seeing certainly what's happened.
Speaker 1: So he was working specifically in what during those ten years when he was over there, just a multitude of.
Speaker 2: Things, a multitude of things. A lot of his conversations were about interfaith dialogue. So we would like we spend one summer in Greece, living in a monastery, at a conference about you know, Islamic, Christian, Jewish, you know dialogue, and we'd sit at the table and people, a lot of Muslims and certainly Arabs and people who lived in our world said why why do you do this? Why do you go and you know? And they say, you know, they would tease him and say, why do you go have conversations these provocative conversations where even the angels fear to tread. Why do you go have these? You know, very contentious? And he says, because I want to understand and I want to know more about these other faiths and beliefs and you know kind of cis political systems. And I don't have any doubt in my own butlo, but I want to learn more. And I think we probably have more in common than we realized now.
Speaker 1: For you, other than when you were maybe moving about and you mentioned Greece, for one, did you go to one school or did you concentrate on just a handful of schools when you were there? Where'd you go to school? Of high school?
Speaker 2: I went to an international school based on a British curriculum that my father and a few of the other professors of the university. Because this was all brand new back in nineteen seventy seven when we moved there. And you mentioned the oil money. Sure there was all of this new wealth, all these amazing.
Speaker 1: Just figuring out how much wealth.
Speaker 2: They were just figuring out how much wealth. And they were building universities and building hospitals. But they didn't have the talent. That's why so much of this talent was imported at the time. And my parents came in as part of that imported talent exactly right, And so they helped start the school. And so I was a British school and it was international. It was actually one of the best things ALEC that I think, to be exposed to so many different cultures and languages and people from all over the world. It made me comfortable everywhere, and I think that was a big part of it, was, you know, being surrounded by people who weren't like me.
Speaker 1: So when you I mean for Americans today, you know, Saudi Arabia is now a concentration of pilots who flew for nine to eleven. It's opek and a manipulation of oil prices. It's koshoji. I'm talking about the contemporary American view of that country. I mean, the United States certainly has a lot of blood on its hands for things that it's done. I'm not mentioning that to condemn the Saudis. The United States is guilty of the exact same things during its history as well. But set aside that. Back when you were there, what was your Saudi Arabia? What was your experience of the culture and the people. How do they strike you?
Speaker 2: You know? One of the very first things that really hit home when I moved to the United States in nineteen ninety three, so I didn't come back. So I grew up in Saudi Arabia and I didn't live in the United States until I came to university in nineteen ninety three. One of the things I missed immediately is this sense of community. And we call it, you know, in the Muslim world, we call it the oma, and the omah is the ever present community, which is you're never alone. So I tell stories in the book about how you know, you go to a party and you say, I like your shirt, and you know, the next thing you know, that shirt is sent to your house the next day. This notion of there's always, you know, a seat at the table for more people, there's always food to share. You're always in a very kind of secure environment, and that is something I kind of took for granted when I was growing up there. In fact, I tell the story about when my father finally got his transplant in nineteen ninety six and he had to leave immediately to go to the United States, to New York for his transplant operation, and one of our very very close Saudi friends called my mother and said, should we take the girls and me and my siblings? You know, I was, you know, nine, My sister was eleven, My younger sister was four. For three of you, I'm my brother, so four of us total and I and my mother, and we were all already scared of all this change. So that our friends call and said, why don't the girls move in with us, you know, while you guys are in the midst of this transplant operation. And I remember we were also scared. We said to my mom, no, no, we I want to go. So on the phone, she makes up this excuse and she says, oh, you know, the kids have their exams, and their desks and their bookcases are here, so we're okay. The next morning there's a knock on our door and it's a moving company and my mother's like, what are you doing here? And they're like, oh, we're here to something about books and bookshelves and desks. We're moving, And sure enough they moved the furniture into this family friend's home. We lived with them while my parents were in the United States. How long it was probably about six weeks if I remember correctly, maybe maybe two months. But this idea again of feeling ohm the omah.
Speaker 1: So when you leave and you come to the United States, and if you had a British centric or British fabric in the educational thing over there, but why did you come back to the US? Could you say, I'm an American and I want to be educated, why don't you go to England to go to school?
Speaker 2: Well I had that choice. Actually, my older brother and sister chose England, and I always wanted to come to the United States. You know, back when I was growing up in Saudi, everything that was sort of aspiration, everything that was considered the best was American. You know, that is you know, back then, America did seem like it and it was the sole super power in the world. Absolutely felt like it was a paradise. And so we'd come here for the summers. We would stock up on all the latest magazines. We would have these bootleg movies that we would take back, all the Tom Cruise movies and you know, like Beverly Hill's Night on number one everywhere. He was certainly number one, you know back then, and Ralph Macchio and the Karate Kid. I'm thinking of like all of these, you know, and everything and I and I write about this. You know, my parents always raised and said, look, you're an American and you're Muslim, and in part because they came from two countries that were at war, so they didn't try to put the burden of that identity that you have to choose whether you're Indian or Pakistani or even Saudi. You know, given the fact that we lived there and you know, felt a deep connection to it. You're an American and you're in a Muslim And so I remember we would go all over the world, and that was one of the great beauties of having parents who were academics. They had summers off was one of also the great advantages of being a university professor there. Because my parents, in the early years, in fact, I don't think I've ever shared this, they would get four first class tickets every summer to go wherever, and so we would, you know, take these tickets and we would go to Europe and Asia, and in part because my father was sick and he wanted to explore the world. He and he didn't know how much time had there's benefits to have been. So, I mean, these were secrets from us. We did not know how ill he was. And I tell this story about you know, my father was barely one hundred pounds, and to me, he was a superhero. You know, he was the greatest, strongest man on the planet. But he would every spring, you would say, okay, where do you want to go this year? And we'd say, okay, let's do Asia, and he said, okay. We'd pull out a map and we'd have to call the airlines back then well wherever, wherever, you know, wherever, and we would have you voted on whoever we voted on, and then we'd have to help plan it. And my mom did all the schlepping and all the lifting, and you know, my father would be wheeled around in a wheelchair. But it was having Number one, it was a way for us to spend time together, and number two, it was a way to explore the world. And I remember my mother tells the story of how we would land in the middle of nowhere sometimes in Shannon, Ireland, you know, on our way to you know, refeel somewhere. And I would get up and turn to my mother and say, is it America yet? And I have a whole chapter in my book. I mean that is what, you know, the excitement, the feeling that you know, ice cream running down my hands. You know, when we visited our family in Elmhurst, Queens, it was paradise. It was heaven. You could go anywhere in the world and landing in JFK was the highlight.
Speaker 1: So when you came to the US to when you return to the US to go to college, you go and you go into politics, but you study journalism as a major and poly size is the minor? Did you most people? I know? My point is that they go to GW for one thing.
Speaker 3: Only.
Speaker 1: They don't go there to play the violin. They don't go there to get a scholarship. For some sports they play. They go there because they got politics in their blood.
Speaker 2: Was that you No, I was I want to gw to become Christian.
Speaker 1: I'm on poor.
Speaker 2: Journalism was the goal. It was. And you know, I say this all the time now when I especially when I meet younger women. I was sitting on the floor of our house and watch this brand new thing in Saudi Arabia and then this is the you know, Operation Desert Storm, Persian Gulf War, and turn on this brand new thing called CNN International, and I see this woman and she was brilliant and she was fearless. I mean it was I looked at her and she looked like me. She looked like she came from my part of the world, and she gave this morphous you know, I went from everything I think when I was younger. You know, my dad, I think always thought I was going to be a writer. He would we you know, say that to me, right right right. I was a voracious reader. I went through a period where I thought I wanted to be a lawyer. I was really very dramatic. People would come to our house and I would say, do you want to listen to my new poem? And my siblings would roll their eyes. Like I was a performer growing up. I had a lot of sort of confidence. I loved to perform. So I think I went through the period of like, I want to be an actor, I want to be a singer, I want to be out there. I wanted to be a.
Speaker 1: Balleries how you ended up, but we're going to get that.
Speaker 2: I went through all these different phases. But then, and I must have been no. I was fifteen. I saw her and I said, that's it. That is who I want to be. And I was singularly focused on being her. And that is why I applied to g W and I went to journalism and I got my degree in journalism, so graduate degree. I did not get a graduates of one of my regrets, but I did not get a graduate.
Speaker 1: When you end, when you do the four years at GW and you get a degree in journalism, is journalism still the goal is.
Speaker 2: Because my junior year, my friend Ronnie Hibbert came to me and said, listen, I've got this great internship at the White House. I'm interning for Mike McCurry, who was then the White House Press secretary. And she actually said to me, she says, you know, when you watch anybody giving a you know, a statement from that podium in the in the press room, our office is right behind. And I thought, oh my god, how better to become press than being behind that wall. But you know, chance, you know, fate, luck, whatever it was, I got accepted. So my friend Ronnie picks up the internship application for me. I think basically filled it out for me. I gave them my you know, the essays that I used to apply to GW sent it in. Was accepted, but I wasn't put in the press office. I was put in the first Lady's policy office.
Speaker 1: Where did you first lay eyes on Hillarby Clinton? And you actually talked to her and shook her hand?
Speaker 2: So she doesn't remember this, there's no reason she'd remember this. But the first time I laid eyes on her and shook her hand was the night of Bill Clinton's re election nineteen ninety six. So I was a White House intern and they, you know, the DNC had made accommodations that if interns wanted to go on this charter plane at the last minute too Little Rock, Arkansas for election night talk about politics on steroids. I had now alec I wasn't registered to vote. I had never I mean, I grew up in a country that was a monarchy. Obviously there was no so you know, I went from zero to a thousand, and so I get on this plane with a bunch of interns. We had to pay, you know, write a check for I think two hundred and fifty dollars for our ticket. Land and Little Rock were wandering around outside, and I'm just kind of just in awe. I look up and there's Wolf Blitzer.
Speaker 1: I look up.
Speaker 2: There's intoxicating me. So I, you know, played a little Rock. The elections called for Bill Clinton and the Energy and the Electricity, and they come out on stage and then they come down to work a rope line, and I was four or five people deep in and I remember leaning forward through the crowd and shaking her hand, and she looked right at me and she said thank you. And I and I have to tell you, I can't even count the number of ropelines I had walked with Hillary Clinton since then, But I remember that moment. I remember how it felt, I remember how important it felt. I remember that I felt like I made this connection. And so every time somebody would say to me, I just want to say a lord, I want to shake her hand. I got it because I remember that first moment and for some people it's it really is a once in a lifetime to meet a president or a first lady. It was really exciting.
Speaker 1: Huma Aberdeen. If you enjoy conversations with accomplished women in politics, check out my episode with United States Congresswoman Katie Porter.
Speaker 3: You know, I think there is an attitude that you know, sort of people are entitled to have Republican representation. Here. What they're entitled to is good representation, right, people who listen to them, people who fight for them, people who are not corrupt, and that can come in your Democratic or Republican forms.
Speaker 1: To hear more of my conversation with Katie Porter, go to Here's the Thing dot org. After the break, Huma Abdeen shares the tremendous impact of Hillary Clinton's twenty sixteen election loss. I'm Alec Baldwin and you're listening to Here's the Thing. Huma Abodeen is fiercely in intelligent, warm and impeccably credentialed. Will Surely anyone would be lucky to employ her. I was curious why she stayed in the Clinton camp for twenty six years.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm getting emotional because I'm sitting at this table. She sat where you're sitting right now to do my first podcast interview after the book came out, and she's one of the people who really encouraged me to write my story. That wound, to some degree does not go away. I think it is such a travesty and a loss for this country tragedy. I agree with you that she was not president in twenty sixteen and how different our country and the world would have been, and it is their loss. And to see how politics has descended into this sort of really a cult of personality. I was having this conversation with a friend the other day and he was like, it's almost like you need to be a celebrity, to even a rich celebrity, to even you know, run for office and take all that apart. You know, you actually have asked me something no one's ever asked me. I kind of fell into politics, You're right, I mean I wanted to oviginalist fell into politics. But why. It's because when I started being in the orbit of Bill and Hillary Clinton, forget who they were, that he was the most you know, the leader of the free world. She was the most powerful woman in the world. For them, it was all about the mission and the service and how do I make I know it sounds cliche and it sounds cheesy, but there are people who get up every single day and say, how do I make other people's lives better? And I think of all the things that I have done. There's not a space I have been, a place I have been. There isn't a person I haven't met that I want to meet. And it still does not feel the way it feels when you're out on a campaign, when you're in government and feel and know that you can make somebody's life better than you can do something doing the right thing. And that is something I learned from her, and to see her do it part of her thing. As you well know, She's never really thought it was about her. And I think a lot of politicians and maybe even people in your line of work, they get into it. There's some degree of whether it's narcissism or some degree of you know, trying to prove one his own value. But she just she just wants to do the work. And I always said, the day I got up and she wasn't doing something interesting or I didn't want to go to work, or I didn't want to talk to her, I would quit. And the thing that is so insane to me is that after that election which broke us. I mean, I write about it in twenty sixty and there are days that it comes back, and you know, it haunts me. It hurts like it hurts like physically.
Speaker 1: I was around her this summer, Liz Robbins, we went to that dinner. This is my friend for our listeners who she has at dinner and Bill is there a couple summers ago. Bill is lecturing us on North Korea, and he's talking about now now when the president of the United States is telling you what he wants you to know, a little digest, a little synopsis about North Korean policy, you are well, I don't need to eat, forget about dinner, and Liz Robbins is behind his back. She's behind Bill's back going like this and cutting her throat like this, going you got it, dumb to stop. Dinner is ready, and I'm looking at her like, h yeah, I'm gonna tell Bill to stop talking about North Korea. And when you're with him, you get a civics lesson. He had a political history lesson, and we did with her the same thing. But she's just I don't know what this inefvitable thing in my business where she just she's like Spencer Tracy. Yes, she's just so decent.
Speaker 2: She has a few radical empathy number one, number two, she has this she has like she says, this problem solving gene. You know, I think so much of it, and you know, people, and she's motivated really by not anything else. I don't think she cares about being rich and famous. I don't think she's ever cared about that. But I think knowing about her own mother, her own mother had a very very difficult childhood, was basically abandoned by her parents. And you know, her victory speech in twenty sixteen, she was going to end with this story about she tells a story about her mother who is put on a train cross country. Her parents didn't want her and her little sister. So these two little girls under ten put on a train to go cross country to move in with her their grandparents, who also didn't really want them. And she said, you know, she imagined being on that train, sitting next to her mother and saying it's going to be okay, you're going to be okay, and you're going to grow up and you're going to have a daughter, and she will be the first woman president of the United States. And in the end, she was, and she was, and I know that she waits to remind people. I also like to remind people when people say, well, why couldn't you guys, Why didn't you guys have the energy and sort of why didn't you have all this energy behind you? And he said, I'd like to remind people that three million people more than her opponent voted for her, that she did have the energy and enthusiasm and you know the forces. I do believe she ran won in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: And she did win in twenty sixteen. You know one other things that you and she have in common. You were both people who your husbands let you down. That's my way of putting it. Your husband's let you down. And in your case, you will overcome that. You deal with that in your way, and you're very honest about it in the book, and you keep going. Crisis management has been a fundamental pillar of your career. You've worked with people who've been in crisis, and Hilary Clinton is someone who's been attacked in a way that is as ugly and so with you professionally, with the Clintons for many years in your personal life, a lot of crisis management for you. What prepared you for that?
Speaker 2: I think my childhood. I think the way I was raised, the people who raised me, the you know, whether it was conscious or subconscious. I mean this idea that I had a mother who is a superhero, you know who My father was throwing up after his dialysis sessions and she was in the bathroom cleaning him up, and you know, propping him up and putting him at them.
Speaker 1: Very very real.
Speaker 2: I mean these were very and you know, living in Saudi Arabia, living in a different cultures, living you know, sometimes in very frustrating moments, and always thinking all right, tomorrow is going to better, Tomorrow is going to be better. And then obviously dealing with my father's death I was hard. You know, I was in denial for a while. It took two years for me to actually say out loud to people my father's dead. I was basically just you know, So I think that to some extent there was crisis all around me kind of growing up, and I figured out how to live and dance and not only live through it. My mother tells, move on. I mean, my mother says, my father's favorite memory from my childhood is when I would come out of school. I would skip out of school and he would call me his gazelle. It's one of the reasons I share in the book, this story about the first time I staff Hillary and her speech is forgotten in the car and she calls me on to stage and I'm this kid, I'm barely twenty one, don't have the speech. And that was the moment, the moment where you basically either fall apart or say I got it. I can fix this. And I fixed it in that moment. That was twenty six years ago, and I have always figured it out, and I actually think I have figured out that I'm pretty good at it. And I don't know if that's like a marketable skill and he were outside of politics. I'm working on that right now. But it's experience.
Speaker 1: Which idea was the book?
Speaker 2: The book was Anna Winter's idea. No, yes, yes. It was ten days after the election. I didn't want to get out of bed, and she says, let's go to dinner, and we go to the theater and then go to dinner and I was it was at the public and it was Cheryl Strad's Tiny Beautiful Things, and cried and cried and cried. And then we go to dinner and she says, I know what you should do. You should write your story. It's a great story. And I said, no, it's not I'm not going to do it. And the next day I go to Hillary and tell Hillary and I said, She's like, brilliant idea. You should do. It's a good story. I was really in denial. It was only when I went to lunch with a man getting advice on what to do next in my life and told them most and people think I should write my book. And he was like, why would you do that? And I said, well, people have suggested the.
Speaker 1: Man robis here shielding what does he do for a living career to say?
Speaker 2: He's also a crisis management consultant to an extent. I mean, you know, he's in sort of the business of, you know, politics and communications. And he says, listen, I just don't think you could ever fully explain why Hillary lost. And I don't think anyone wants to read any more about all that scandal. And it was when you use that word scandal. I walked out of that restaurant and I was writing the book. It was somebody telling me the story was unworthy. That made me write. And when I when I started writing, it just poured, it poured out of me. I loved, loved, loved the writing process. And you know, and look, because you asked about Anthony and my ex husband letting me down, which he did.
Speaker 1: He was on this podcast.
Speaker 2: He was on this podcast. Yeah, that's right, he was.
Speaker 1: And you know, I my first usband and wife a couple of.
Speaker 2: I should have brought him along. We're we're not talking about doing some interviews together because people cannot. Are still in shock. And I get stopped on the street all the time saying, oh, I'm sure you threw the day that you met that man. In fact, somebody said that to me. You know, when I launched the paperback to a couple of weeks, I was like, I'm sure you rew the day you met that man. And I stopped this person and I said, you know, actually, this man gave me the greatest gift in my life. And that is my son. My opinion, and so no, and I and I think part of it is people didn't understand what was happening. And you know, I only now, you're years later, we have a much greater appreciation for mental health and addiction and and I you know, back then, only certain like I felt like our friends kind of in the creative world and Hollywood really understood what was happening. And you know, but in politics, I mean, to have the first what I argue was sort of Twitter sex scandal. It was unheard of back then. People don't know what to do, and so we would.
Speaker 1: Sacho also with him, if I may just interject you with it with him, that the thing is that we have so few people now in my estimation, who are really really special in politics, and your former husband was somebody who people had a lot of belief in him.
Speaker 2: He was you know, at one point, the chapter about Anthony was called Icarus because he was I mean, he really was Markt really smart, really and as you said, you know, he was unique. He was a unicorn in a way that he was progressive, he was feisty, he was smart, he understood the policy. But more than that, he had solutions. And you know, until he ran for mayor in twenty thirteen and obviously lost, he'd never lost an election before too to that point, and so so to not then understand the behavior, which I did not, Alec I'm being very on. I did not as somebody who grew up so disciplined and with such moderation, you know, so you know, I'd just knock off this behavior and not understanding that he'd really fallen into and you know, his all of this compulsiveness was really kind of triggered by Facebook and Twitter, that all had just started in the last couple of years and then just just fall it. Really, it's, you know, talk about another tragic I think he.
Speaker 1: Let down a lot of people, not just you. Yeah, he had people who really believed in him because in the Democratic Party we just sort of have enough tough people. Now, you've been dealing with the political press your entire professional career, and some of them have been, you know, remarkably brutal and unfair. Who in your life from the conservative media when you dealt with them, did you respect and you liking that they covered her fairly? Wow?
Speaker 2: That is a question, is as sad, I will say that I don't know the answer to. I'm not sure I could give you a name off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: Isn't that hard coming from you, That's pretty damn it.
Speaker 2: But we lived, I mean when we lived in a different You know, you've stumped me. I mean, honestly, I can't. I think we were always on guard. And to the point that you just made about fake news versus you know, this notion of you're entitled to your you know, your own opinion, but now your own facts. That's out the door. Now. Now it's sort of you know, what is fact? What is fiction? And I struggle to come up with a single name of somebody who I thought was Look, we had challenges with the New York Times, where there were stories that were just filled with inaccuracies.
Speaker 1: Huma Aberdeen, If you're enjoying this conversation, tell a friend and be sure to follow Here's the Thing on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. When we come back, Huma Aberdeen ponders whether a political candidacy is in her future. I'm Alec Baldwin and you're listening to Here's the Thing. Whoma Abadeen was vice chair of the Hillary Clinton's twenty sixteen presidential campaign. After such an unexpected and painful loss, I was curious what she thought it would take for the United States to finally elect a female president.
Speaker 2: I think this is a generational thing. I mean, I'm raising a son, and I am raising my son not just to respect women, but not fear their power. And I think it's conscious and subconscious, this notion of when you close your eyes and you see somebody who's in charge, do you ever see it as a woman, know, you see it as a man. And how do we change that? And I think you and I are of a generation that that's it's going to be very hard to change. And it's proven an election over and over again. I mean, look at this battle of Kathy Hochles going through right now in New York. I mean it is I guarantee you if she was not a woman, I'm not sure she would it would be as back and neck. But it's women, and it's and this notion of ambition, you know, the idea that people always look at us whenever we are the victim, when we were in service of I mean Hillary was always most popular when you know, during impeachment in her husband's administration, and then when she served Obama and the minute she says I'm in her approval numbers just go down significantly. And that why why it is the minute a woman as seen as being ambitious for power or being in charge, that all of a sudden something subconsciously and this is not just men, this is men and women subconsciously. It's like off in our head saying no, no, no, no, that can't happen.
Speaker 1: Women who still support the patriarchy. I find that mesmerizing. Women who are enemies of candidacies like hell.
Speaker 2: And we would knock on doors early on the primary and women you know in Iowa would say, I'm gonna caucus for Hillary. I'm gonna caucus for Hillary. Wink wink, but you know, make sure their husband's in here. And then sure enough, on caucus day they just said what their husbands were doing or told them to do. Whatever it is. It's just it is. It is a generational thing that we have to change.
Speaker 1: Are you going to run?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Part of.
Speaker 2: About it, well, I haven't really what I that's your demographic? I well, I so this is my year of saying yes, I'm doing all kinds of crazy things this year that I would have never said yes to two years ago. For example, I mean this I'm doing interviews, I'm giving speeches, I'm you know, I'm just exploring the world. I'm seeing things and meeting people. I'm just doing things I would have in the olden days. I don't have time for this. I don't have time for social life. I don't have time. You know. It's always about work, and now I'm just you know, finding more time to do all those things. So I hate when I say, Okay, I'm definitely not running for office. I don't see a path. I don't see that I would. But I'm in this never say never, but I don't. I don't see it. I'm also agnostic about it.
Speaker 1: You've never seen the path? Have you? The woman that wanted to be Christian?
Speaker 2: And I'm on poor one.
Speaker 1: That's right in the Sliding Doors biography of hom you've never seen the path. You're like me in the sense of my whole life has been People would go A B or C, and I go, which do I really want A B or C? And the answer is D something that wasn't even on the table eighteen months. If that's the train I got.
Speaker 2: On, well that's the cliff. You know. The book was originally the prolog was originally called the cliff. I was kind of standing on the precipice of that cliff and I chose to jump. And I always envisioned that it was going to be really bad. Jumping just meant hitting the ground, and how much pain was that going to be?
Speaker 1: And it's an opportunity as well. Yeah, and this is just my opinion. I mean, I'm not trying to give you advice here. I'm not trying to encourage you to run for office. But the point is is that it's an opportunity. Even if you lose, you don't go into the thing. It's a chance for you to put on the record what you believe about this kind and this government. So two more quick things. One is you're developing a television series based on your memoir and you went ahead, And I can't believe you wouldn't cast the unspeakably unattractive and untalented Freeda Pinto to play you. I mean, what the hell are you thinking? Freeda Pinto is going to play you in the TV show.
Speaker 2: I was stunned that she wanted to do it. You know, I'm a big admirer of hers, But more than that, I was and I met I met with a lot of people, and I didn't know where. I'd never met her in all these years. But she got the book, she got the story, she got the character. And I think, while I'm gratified a lot of people have read the book, I think a lot more people will watch it on screen and this if there is some sort of service or interest in the book. I mean, I I'm just beyond thrill that she's doing and I can't wait for so lucky son act.
Speaker 1: Now, if we're going to end, I want you to read that first. This is a letter. Tell us about this letter? Where is this from?
Speaker 2: This is a note I found just buried in my dad's papers years after he died, and I thought it was a message, you know, from being and I think it was just something you know, you would scribble these notes down. And he had a folder called Random Reflections and this was from his random reflections folder and it's titled thought for the Day. As an American, a Muslim, and as a member of a fairly decent family, a commitment should be a commitment. Whatever the provocation. It should not influence you to act in an unbecoming manner. You have to be fair, honest, and direct. If you can't stand the heat, then, as Truman said, get out of the kitchen. But your exit should be graceful, decent, and above board. Let others do what they will. You are responsible in the first instance, to yourself, your principles and values, and ultimately to God yahweh Allah, your loving Father. And I feel as though this was a note that he left for a to remind us what's important about how to walk through this earth.
Speaker 1: And you've lived that.
Speaker 2: I've tried to You've lived that, and.
Speaker 1: I want you to know. See, the thing about you is I'm going to end with the blessing and the curse, the sweet and the sour, and that is you are a very special and gifted person. But of course with that comes tremendous burdens as well, and tremendous demands. It's a blessing and a curse. You have a lot of burdens on you. This is choking me up here. It's so kind, and you have, when it comes, a burden, a burden. But we hope we're going to see no more of this woman that's in this book. I want to see. I can't wait to see what she's going to do.
Speaker 2: Well, from your lips to God's ears, I just I'm so I'm excited, thrilled, terrified all those things, but I'm continuing my year of saying.
Speaker 1: Yes, Huma Aberdeen. This episode was recorded at CDM Studios in New York City. We're produced by Kathleen so Zach MacNeice and Maureen Hobin. Our engineer is Frank Imperial. Our social media manager is Danielle Gingrich. I'm Alec Baldwin. Here's the Thing is brought to you by iHeart Radio