Speaker 1: The Patriots are back in pads for a third straight day.
Speaker 2: It was hot, it was humid.
Speaker 1: Yes, the dog days are here.
Speaker 2: What went down?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Welcome everybody to the Patriots training camcast, presented by New Balance. We are here to break down what dare we? Paul five day five, I wasn't here.
Speaker 3: Yes, you missus one practice and he loses count.
Speaker 1: I lost track. But we also here introduce Jack Webb.
Speaker 2: It's going to be joining us this year. Everybody.
Speaker 1: Paul and I a pre and postgame show, and Jack, you're gonna be taking over the hosting duties.
Speaker 2: Welcome. I am fired up. Two quick lessons I gotta learn from day sunscreen. How about that? A little sunscreen? And then I got to follow Polly's footsteps the towel genius. Luckily Fred hooked me up with the napkins. So I'm trying to wipe the sweat here as we go. But it's a pleasure to be here. I'm really fired up by the season.
Speaker 3: If we have your back for another year. You're adding the seat cushions too. Make sure you make sure you're behind just taking care of it.
Speaker 2: And I need that.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's pretty flat so I know everybody probably thought we had a player on for our post.
Speaker 2: Jack play man right, play a little football you maan, I guess shorter arms and Will Campbell.
Speaker 3: Guys, it was, it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a no for me from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: We'll get the full scouting report on Jack before we get into the first preseason game in a couple of weeks. But guys, we did have a practice here today and you know, you guys saw yesterday did a great job breaking down Drake may rainom bombs in the red zone.
Speaker 2: They were a little bit.
Speaker 1: More in the middle of the field this this week or today, I should say. Mike Rabel said they were doing a call it which seemed like situational football, we know, going through the downs. But overall, I thought there were a few plays but it seems like things are a little bit. There were sloppy to Paul, there was interceptions. There were some balls on the.
Speaker 3: Ground here, and I thought it was a little more even today. I thought the defense made some disruptive plays as well. I thought there was some immediate pressures. I didn't know about the tempo of the actual plays how they were running today. I thought they were a little bit more live yesterday than they were today. But you know, Drake May continues to throw the ball reasonably well, I think, and then you're starting to see I think Romeo Dobbs show up a little bit more. You had a little bit less from some of the other guys today, so I thought, you know, you had to. You mentioned the interceptions, so you had one for May, one for Tommy DeVito. But overall I thought it was a little bit back and forth today for the offense and defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I felt a little bit like the dog days of training. Camper here and three straight days and it's hot and the day off tomorrow, so maybe a little bit more, uh, sloppiness today, especially from the offense. The balls on the ground a couple of times with a few fumbles, and the interceptions that you guys mentioned. Uh, Jackie, you've played offensive line, so you got to school these guys on this. But we had a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: Played offensive line in high school too, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Just so no, he doesn't have to school him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm passing the baton. He love it on the offensive line talk. But up front there, I thought there were some issues with some of the stunts in the games that the defense was running. Elijah Ponder, Draymond Jones, a couple of guys in there. So I thought that was something that in pacted practice a little bit too. And as this new offensive line and you know, some guys were out today no Vera, Tucker Morgan, Moses continues to kind of rotate with kayleb Blomo. So a couple of things that have stood out there in terms of the pass rush. Maybe not the standard fore man rushes, those seem to be blocked up pretty well. But once you start running all those games up front, that's when it got a little dicey.
Speaker 2: You guys can speak this way better than I can. Having watched so many of these training camp practices, the run game seems like it needs to get going. Is that a training camp thing? Is that maybe some questions about about how efficient it is here has been early on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been quiet. It is hard to evaluate it when they're not tackling to the ground. But I thought the way you haven't put it, there were guys I thought knifing through and being making just shocked. That's why I thought there was more disruptive plays on defense. I did just was really just talking about interceptions. I thought, fifty one is that Riley Wilson. Yet Riley Wilson, I thought it was blowing up places.
Speaker 4: Yet he put somebody on his but one of the rookie running backs, I don't know what thirty nine or thirty they kind of all.
Speaker 3: I thought there were a lot of players around the line of scrimmage that never really had a chance to get going. Screen passed Alarison was one of the fumbles that Evan talked about. So yeah, I thought the running game is not anywhere near where you wanted to be. But Vara Tucker missing from left guard is a big difference. And I did think that Ben Brown, who took his spot, struggled for the most of part today. Moses, you know, he was out there for the team periods, he wasn't out there for the individual stuff, so you know, there was a lot of mixing and matching today. I think Mike hid it right in the open though. It's just dog days of August, and you know it's only August first.
Speaker 1: And that's what I think the coaches want to get to this point when you got to push through that mental toughness and find it when it's hot and when it's hard, especially when some new players getting opportunities, everybody wants to know. Of course, how Drake did. I mean, he'd have one really nice, you know, backshore shoulder throat to AJ Brown. Don't panic.
Speaker 3: A J.
Speaker 1: Brown did walk off the field. He didn't, he didn't come back. But Mike Rabel did say they were going to limit some of these guys today, as Paul pointed out, So I don't think there's any reason to panic. However, Kyle Williams did also go off with a trainer and was getting looked at, so that's something O back.
Speaker 3: Well, he came back into and he was doing what I thought was interesting, a lot of work with on special teams, with the gunners and the vice guys. So he's clearly trying to find himself a game day role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so returner maybe we talked about that.
Speaker 4: I mean, anything to use as speed, you know, whether it's gunner covering punts or returning kickoffs. I think both of those things are our roles for him. You know, I've talked a lot about the third running back also being involved in those kickoff returns, so getting speedback there is obviously the type of play that it is, so I could see Kyle Williams potentially filling in there and maybe earning a roster spot because after Chisholm, he's going to play on special teams. You know, he's going to be a backup returner and he's going to be able to maybe cover kicks too. So I think Kyle Williams got to learn special teams. That's going to have to be a path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jack, your first time at KIM What what stood out to you today?
Speaker 2: First off, A lot of credits to you guys watching all that chaos, especially when everyone's an indie, you know, watching everyone, it's almost impossible to follow, especially the guy with the ADHD. I tip the caps you guys. I thought it was very interesting to watch that live period at the end with the threes. I think that that's kind of this time of year. I love those battles, right, I'm biased. I played with Xavier Holmes right so watching him and king on him, just watching a guy fight for a spot. I think that's what's always so intriguing about these training camp practice and there's plenty of battles across the board here at PATS Camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Live tackling to the ground, which we don't see you very often in practice. And they've done it both days, just with the threes. Don't worry, they're not tackling Drake may all right, but just with the threes. But we saw it yesterday, we saw it today. I don't know if you guys recalled. Did we see that last summer. I don't remember Mike Rabel having live tackling.
Speaker 3: I definitely don't remember this amount of reps for the threes. Yeah, period last year. I think that's a testament. Mike was asked about it before practice. I think it's a testament to you know, Morten and some of those receivers, you know, I think Cameron Dormer, Riley Dixon. I think these guys have shown up and made some plays when they've been given opportunities, and I think because of that, Mike feels compelled to give them more opportunities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to toss you guys, you know, warm up the softball here. Kyle Williams obviously named fans are very curious about a great day. Offensively, is that upside that it is going to make it a tough call for them, A really tough decision here at the end of the month. I mean, I think he's starting to show up here in the last couple of days. I mean, you guys saw yesterday is.
Speaker 1: What he ever? I don't know what he did yesterday, yeaheah.
Speaker 4: No, he had a good day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's just been making most of his of his opportunities, I think, And that's what we've talked about. That's why I like him as a kickoff returner.
Speaker 2: It's a spot where they.
Speaker 1: Don't really have an obvious guy and maybe if he can add some speed to that, maybe some game changing ability, because early in the camp's almost felt like an afterthought with the kickoff returner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kyle Williams. Yesterday I thought was kind of like his breakout practice, if you want to call it that, and you finally started to notice him a little bit. Then today I thought he was behind the defense on that deep ball and Drake May under threw that pass a little bit. It was so he went right through the middle of the field and he was he was going to be gone, and the ball just hung up in the air on Drake May a little bit. So I thought the last couple of days, we've seen a little bit more Kyle Williams. Paul you mentioned to me, I think before practice, maybe a little less kish on booty. Uh. He did have a catch today, but maybe a little bit that hype train slowing just a tad and maybe Kyle Williams picking up the torch a little.
Speaker 3: And one last thing Mike before I know, you have to do your wrap up. We got at least a chance to see yeah Gay bach Us. Yeah, you know, so he was not in full pads and very limited. Mike said he would be limited, and he was, but I did get to see him sort of working on some punk protection stuff. He rocked one of the coaches, Mike Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Smith.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I don't know any of the coaches.
Speaker 4: So I made an audible noise when that happened when we were watching up a practice. I was like, I think I heard it, so he uh, yeah, he There's some video. It was during periods that you could shoot, you know, media could shoot. So there's some video on Twitter circling around of him just putting Mike Smith. He's not a small guy, you know, I mean late in the league, like this is a former player. Uh, and he was holding the pad and act as bull rush him and just ran him right over, put him right on his butt. And I think that was more finally I get to practice, yeah, you know, than anything else to like look into. But I thought that he looked healthy. I thought he looked explosive, powerful, what you expect, and you could just tell that he was chopping at the bit even to do one on ones, like literally anything that the coaches would let him do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mike Rabel said he was texting him every night even though he knew he wasn't gonna practice the next day, begging we're able to put him in there. So that's going to do it here for Saturday, they're going to be off tomorrow. We back at it Monday. I think they're going to be backing pads again. So we're in the dog days right now. A lot to find out with some of these position battles lower down on the depth chart. So we're back on Monday to break it all down.