Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten podcast, presented by Cisco, ten minutes of the most up to date forty nine Ers news first Thing in the morning. I'm your host Brian McDonald and joining me is forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polares and special guest, New York Jets team reporter Caroline Hendershot. Caroline, thanks for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, thanks for having me on. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got a lot to cover heading into this Monday night football season opening matchup. Today, we're going to talk Aaron Rodgers, Rock Purty, defensive standouts, that Sala Shanahan coaching connection. There's so much to get into surrounding this game. But before we do that, let's quickly recap the offseason. Caroline, what's changed for the Jets since the end of that twenty twenty three season. What were some key areas the team for focused on before getting here to Week one?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think there was so much change from the end of the season, right, Like I believe that GM Joe Douglass put in a lot of work this offseason, so he went and obviously Aaron Rodgers came back fully healthy in the off season and honestly close to the end of last season, but came back fully healthy and was practicing with the team, So that was a change for the team. They added some more weapons on offense, including Mike Williams who was recovering from his injury and is also now prepared to go for Monday Night. And they completely revamped the offensive line, which I think was a big point of emphasis for all parties involved. There was thirteen different offensive line combinations last year for the Jets, so that was a big point of contention, just with all of the change and nothing being the same, and losing one of their guards in Elija Vera Tuck, so there was a lot of work to be done on that O line. And with the additions of left tackle Tyrone Smith, left guard John Simpson, and then you have the center Joe Tipman returning, Elijah Vera Tucker returning as right guard, and then the addition of Morgan Moses as the right tackle. So I think it's going to be a big change in a good way on the offensive side of the ball. And then with the defensive side of the ball, almost every single defensive player returned from that top five Jets defense last year, So that's going to be another year in the system for them, so should be very competitive.
Speaker 1: And for the forty nine ers, it seems like they put their pieces of the puzzle together this offseason, extending Juwan Jennings, Christian McCaffrey, Brandon Aiyuk and then recently getting things in line for Trent Williams. Lindsay, how have these deals set the forty nine ers up for success and do they bring a sense of confidence to the team as they head into Week one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the Er situation is almost the exact opposite of what the Jets went through. There was a restructure of the defensive side of the ball, and like you mentioned, just the securing of all the weapons on offense, right, So you wanted this very high scoring offense that put up almost thirty points a game to pretty much just stay intact, and you're hoping for kind of a copy and paste on the offensive side of the ball, especially with just the embarrassment of riches that the forty nine ers have. Like you mentioned Christian McCaffrey, the NFL Offensive Player of the Year. You've got George Kittle who had over a thousand yards. You have Brandon Ayuk, Deebo Samuel. Really the last two pieces of the puzzle came together on Monday, and that was with bran Or actually earlier, a little bit earlier for Brandon Ayke, but Brandon Ayuk and Trent Williams. So the offense is looking in really good shape and for the defense also looking great. But a lot of new faces, particularly on the defensive line. A big emphasis for the forty nine Ers was making sure that they tighten up the run defense in twenty twenty four, So you brought in MALIEK Collins from the Houston Texans and then Leonard Floyd from the Buffalo Bills. Really like just a totally new D line. You've got you Tour Gross Matos, Jordan Elliott from the Browns. You bring in Devon Drake Campbell as well as a linebacker with Drake Greenlaw out after tearing his achilles in the Super Bowl. And then on the back end you bring in Isaac Gadam from the Saints. So a lot of new faces for the forty nine ers defense. But yes, it's all come together just in time for Monday Night football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lindsay, definitely a bit has changed for the Niners with Nick Sorenson stepping up as defensive coordinator. Just like you mentioned those new faces to the d line, so faithful expect to see some new things from the forty nine ers defense in Week one. But let's talk quarterbacks of the game. Aaron Rodgers is the national topic of conversation, Caroline. I want to know when he's not making headlines, but give me the feel on New York's offense and how things are clicking with him back in action.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the offense is really confident in the work that they have put in and the progress that they were able to make throughout training camp. I've heard kind of the same sentiment repeated in the locker room that you know they're ready, they feel like they're in a really good place. And Aaron Rodgers was speaking to the media yesterday and he was just kind of emphasizing that this team's ready to win and ready to win now. So I think that the offense is excited about finally getting back on the field with all of its pieces. Almost everyone fully healthy, so I think everyone's just kind of a little itching to get on the field now.
Speaker 1: For the Niners, a big storyline in the Bay during training camp was brock Perty's first full off season with the team. Now that we've arrived to week one, lindsay, what are some things you're looking to see in a year three version of Rock Purty?
Speaker 3: You know, you just want to see a completely healthy Rock pretty and the off season translate over to the regular season. You know, obviously brock Purty was coming back from a torn UCL at the end of that twenty twenty two season. I mean, you couldn't really tell right last year because just finished top five in almost every statistical category. And then the forty nine Ers offense, like I said earlier, was scoring almost thirty points a game in the regular season, So just a tremendous efficiency we saw from brock Purty. You know, I think one of the big topics of the off season was that Brock really honed in on taking care of his body because he had the opportunity to do so for his first time as the forty nine Ers starter. So we put on a little muscle, and you just want to see him take that natural progression from year two to year three. This has been the most normal year, I would say of his NFL career. Just because that injury was so significant. So you just want him to I mean, not copy and paste, but just take the next step. Right, last season, he ended with one hundred and thirteen passer rating, first among all qbs in the NFL. You'd love to see that again. Thirty one passing touchdowns in the regular season, third most in the NFL, and he led this team to a Super Bowl fifty eight appearance. So you just want to see him continue to take the next step forward. He has all pieces around him to do so, so again, just we want to see more of the same.
Speaker 1: Now, I want to shine a light on the defensive side of the ball. Caroline. You spoke about that defensive retention for the Jets at the top of the podcast, But what is it that stands out to you about this year's Jets defense.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that they just had another year in the system, right, so everyone felt more comfortable last season. It showed on tape with just kind of how successful they were in limiting other teams. And I think that having almost every single player return minus a few here and there, is probably the key for this defense. You don't usually get all of your main pieces back, so you still have the two time All Pro and Pro bowler Sauce Gardner. You still have CJ. Moseley, who's a captain and a staple of this not only linebacker room, but the defense as a whole. You have Quincy Williams who's coming off in All Pro season. You have his brother Quinn Williams on the D line. So and then I mean not to mention Jermaine Johnson, who took a huge step last year and is just ready to continue taking that big step. So I think having all of those pieces return is like the biggest key for the Jets, And I think maybe one of the other exciting aspects to it is how good they were last year, but how much they all believe there's more work to be done. So just knowing that their ceiling isn't nearly what it could be is just kind of maybe the icing on the cake for this entire situation. So I think they're gonna try and limit this really talented forty nine ers offense to as little points as they possibly can.
Speaker 1: Plus, we've got that head coach connection going on in this primetime game with Robert Sala's history as the forty nine Ers defensive coordinator, alongside Kyle Shanahan. Caroline, has Sala shared any insight about his relationship with Shanahan.
Speaker 2: You know, there's so many connections in this game, whether it's Breis Hall and Brock Purty being on the same college team, whether it's Javon Kinlaw coming over from the forty nine ers, whether it's the coaches. There's just so much into this game that the storylines are so rich. But you know, he just shared earlier this week, Robert Sala how impressive Kyle Shanahan is as a coach and just what he's able to make cappen on the football field is so difficult. So he had nothing but good things to say about him. So I think that is going to be an even bigger challenge, just knowing the dynamic of the relationship, how much time they spent together, how their minds work, probably very similarly, And not to mention how the big comparison to the Jets defense was the San Francisco forty nine ers style of defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it goes both ways. Shanahan knows Sala just as well. Lindsay, how do you think that familiarity could influence Kyle's approach to a Sala led defense.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it's just kind of echoing what Caroline said. It just feels very familiar, right, they do likely think very similarly. I think it's gonna be a really exciting matchup. What I really enjoyed hearing actually speaking to this familiarity topic is just how the players on the defense, Nick Bosa, Fred Warner in particular, we're talking about how Glentchel Robert Sala was on their careers very early, and you know, just knowing each other's style of play. Nick Bosa, you know, remembers that Sala had a huge hand in bringing him to San Francisco. Fred Warner was giving him a shout out for giving him the nod as the Mike linebacker in his rookie season. So there's definitely a familiarity there, and I think it just adds like another layer to this primetime Monday night football match up.
Speaker 1: Now, let's get a quick look at health status, Caroline, are there any notable injuries that could impact the Jets performance in this game.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's really any notable injuries from any of the starters. I think the one person obviously to watch will be wide receiver Mike Williams. While he is healthy to go for Week one, it's more so his workload. So I think they're just going to be very strategic and monitor how they actually use him throughout the game. So don't know how much we'll see of him or how little we'll see of him, but it will be determined on how he's feeling, how the coaches think he's performing, what his body can handle. So I think there's just a lot of factors that go into that. But that's really the only person to watch.
Speaker 1: And lindsay, what's the latest regarding injuries to the forty nine ers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no injuries that we should be too worried about. If anything, I actually want to say that Christian McCaffrey being limited in practice yesterday, you know, fans out there don't worry a ton about that. This isn't it was an achilles and I believe yes, achilles and calf injury. And we heard from John Lynch on canbr earlier that he should be good to go for Monday night football. He feels confident in him. So I just want to actually put people's mind at ease there. And then we had Aaron Banks who suffered a broken pinky. Over the course of the preseason, he was limited in practice. These are actually positive signs, so I think, yeah, those mostly good news actually on the injury front.
Speaker 1: And finally, as we wrap up today's episode, Caroline, which matchup are you most excited to watch in this contest? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I just feel like there are so many whether it's direct matchups or kind of indirect matchups to be aware of going into this game. It's going to be truly one for the book. So I hope the performance really lives up to the Monday night football hype. But I'm gonna cheat. I'm gonna give you two I'm watching, not going head to head right against each other, but Christian McCaffrey and brace Hall both really powerful running backs. I want to see how each one does against the opposing defense, and kind of I know that it's going to be in the back of each of their minds, I'm sure, just of you know, maybe who's getting the better edge on each other and who's picking up more yards. So I think that one's a fun one to watch. And then maybe a less obvious one. A name that San Francisco forty nine or fans are familiar with Javon Kinlaw. He came to the Jets defensive line this offseason and he added thirty pounds of lean muscle to his frame, which, let me tell you, I don't know how he did that, But now he's around three point thirty. He was saying, he's weighing in at So not only is there going to be a little bit of added emotion for him playing against his former team in his former stadium, but I do think that he is going to be in it at a different level this season just because of his weight gain, his increased He was explaining his increased flexibility has improved his rate of play a lot. So I'm just excited for his performance and maybe how that can help quinnn Williams maybe not get double teamed as much, So that should be exciting.
Speaker 1: We and the faithful no Javon Kinlaw pretty well, so that should be very interesting. But lindsay, do you have a key matchup for this game?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, there's a ten to choose from, but you know, I'm really interested to see rock Party in the forty nine ers past catchers against Sauce Gardner and Michael Carter. You know, I just think that those are two incredibly talented cornerbacks on the New York Jets side, both of them allowed less than three hundred yards in coverage in twenty twenty three. And then obviously we know how high power to the forty nine ers offense. Was so excited to see that play out on the field. But there's just so many good matchups in this one, so I know it's going to be a good one.
Speaker 1: A lot to look out for on Monday night, but faithful that will do it for today. Caroline, Thank you so much for joining us. Subscribe to First and ten presented by Cisco for more forty nine Ers updates, and turn on the notifications for any breaking news Move the Chains episodes. Thanks for tuning in.