Speaker 1: I'm joined today by presidential candidate Hunter Biden.
Speaker 2: I'll run, but only as your VP. I think everybody's carrying around a bag of heroin in their pocket and it's called an iPhone. I'm not stepping off the stage for fucking anybody.
Speaker 3: This is Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 2: I'm Hunter Biden.
Speaker 1: I'm joined today by presidential candidate Hunter Biden.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty eight. Come on, Hunter, what's going on?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, you got more buzz out there than that.
Speaker 1: You got the President of the United States, Donald Trump talking about your candidacy for president.
Speaker 2: I had to give you. I had to give you a break for just one day at least. Here's the deal. Here's the deal. I'll run, but only as your as your VP, because the truth doesn't matter. Is the Vice President's residence is a lot cooler? It lot e's your job too?
Speaker 3: Is it legitimately? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a better residence that I mean you were? You have you have unique status to be able to actually it is.
Speaker 3: Make that case.
Speaker 2: The White House is the grandeur of the White House is it never gets old. But the but you really do feel like you're in a gilded cage. You know, it's so and and and the grounds of the of the VP residents are really private and it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That was, in fact, the last time we saw each other. I was, I was with you your your dad brought me upstairs and h in the residence.
Speaker 3: And to your point, that's you know, it's as grand and extraordinary as it is. No one wants to be. You know.
Speaker 1: The last thing anyone wants to hear is someone saying, you know, it's not all that. But to your point, that's a little claustrophobic. I mean, everybody around not a lot of sense of freedom or privacy.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, so get used to it. I was I was hoping when I saw you that you we would just dig in, that you would you know, I get you one of those secret rooms. Stay.
Speaker 1: Your dad brought me up by the way, Evan. Now I'm talking out of school here, but he taught me. He was on a tour that I think that was for him. He was walking into closets. He said he hadn't been in years and years, and he was discovery. He's like, let's see what's behind this door, and there's a bunch of clothes that were stored. He goes, I think that put that in six years four years ago. It was what he was in one of those moods where I think your mom had to come up to get him because he was taking too much time with me.
Speaker 3: That's which was fun.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that was a common occurrence and still is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So look, you've been making a lot of news lately and and I think surprising a lot of people as well. I mean, you showed up and I appreciate you showing up where you've been showing up. I spent three hours with Sean Ryan myself, and there you are with Sean Ryan forming avcl someone who was out there very critical. In fact, I remember walking to Sean Ryan set and right up above the door it said let's go Brandon when I got there, so I understood exactly where his politics were. And then like lo and behold, you show up on my feet and you're there with with with with Ryan, and you were there with Candice Owens recently and back on X and and and blowing up the internet. And so you know, the obvious first question, Hunter is what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: Welcome back to uh?
Speaker 1: You know the bright lights and UH and what was what's what was the trigger? Man, what was the inspiration to come back out and really tell your story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am. Uh. The way that I number one is, you know, I learned a little bit and I'm I'm I'm being serious a little bit from you. I watched that uh, that interview that you did with Charlie Kirk, and you know he had that line, uh when you guys were talking about how progressive is how democrats are afraid to go into the lines then of the he's you know, lung and I thought, shit, I'm not, you know, because because what are you gonna say that hasn't already been said? And there's an incredible freedom to the uh to having been stripp bear in the public square and and lashed a thousand times and still be standing. And you know it's not by any you know, courage or you know. Uh, you know, I didn't go to RESHI cash for seven years and trained to be a monk. But but what I did learn is that there's an enormous freedom in in owning your whole story. And and so I felt more than anything, what I had an opportunity to do is talk to the fifty million Americans who are suffering on a daily basis from from addiction. And you know, it's not something that that any of us are unfamiliar you're with, I mean, anybody. Everybody's got a best friend, a mom and dad, brothers, sister, a love family member that or themselves that have that have suffered from addiction. Now, not everybody was a crack addict, but addiction is addiction and it is one of the things that probably one of the singular things that that that binds us all. So whether it was Sean Ryan who opened up to me about his own struggle with addiction, and or Kendae Owens, who I thought that if I had the opportunity to sit with her personally, that she would see the humanity of it. And because you know, I don't think these people are bad people, you know, I mean they have very different political views than I have, and I think that you have. But you know what is that we're all just trying to figure it out, man, you know, And I think that that's the reason in more than anything, Like I'll tell you what I'm doing now is that I joined a organization called Peak Path Health and it's a rehab But what we're doing they brought me on to build their foundation, and the foundation is going to focus on aftercare, which I think is the big missing gap in the recovery industry. Is you get your thirty days and then you go back to the same situation that you were in and your chances of making it are really really slim. But these aftercare programs and kind of long term stays not where it is a like a confined space like a rehab in which you can get job training and wellness. You know, a lot of the work that my sister does with people that are coming out of prison or out of rehab in terms of teaching them wellness techniques, everything for meditation into just common nutrition and things like that, all of it makes a difference, particularly in a in a community of people where you know, recidivism or relapse, whatever you want to call it, is about you know, seventy five to eighty five percent. So yeah, so that's the reason you know, they gave me a stage I'm going to use it.
Speaker 1: Was there was there a trigger? I mean, was there a conversation. Was there a moment where you said, you know what I'm done being you know, my story being told by everybody else because you've been sober now it's been seven years. You just posted it's been seven years June first, twenty nineteen. And so throughout the presidency, throughout your father's presidency, were you were cleaning sober? Yet you were again your ass kicked twenty four to seven the cover New York Posts more than any human being in modern history. You just, you know, these guys, just debandon these guys ging Rich, I mean, well not well Gingrich, sure, but Julie, these guys and the weaponization of that laptop or whatever, you.
Speaker 3: Know, all of that, and you were quiet.
Speaker 1: You were quiet then why you know what was the moment where you said, I'm going to defend myself. I'm gonna write my own story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was well, I felt like I had enough distance from the politics of the administration. Uh you know why now, like why right now? You know I needed I needed that year to get my you know, to get my feedback underneath me. The reason, you know, you know this is that the presidency, Uh, in my choice to be vocal or not, it wasn't it wasn't about me. I know, I'm fully aware that nobody really gives a shit about Hunter Biden, but they gave a ship about was power, but they gave a shit about was presidency and they attacked the one thing that they knew my dad loved the most. It's his family. And you know, I mean that's a a a play that is as old as politics. But it was on a on a on a biblical scale for me. But it really wasn't my place. You know. I heard Tim Miller and who, by the way, who I like? And I mean I like what he's doing, so I don't want to get into a uh, you know it spat, you know, with with people that are I think preaching and fighting the good fight, and I really do. And but he he made he said, you know, well, Hunter Biden was such a distraction and why was he such a distraction? And you know, you know it's you know, this is partially his fault that we lost, because you know, he just couldn't stay out of the you know, out of the news. And I was like, oh man, so if I could have stayed out of the news, I sat in my garage up in Big Rock, in in our home state of California, and and painted for four years. I didn't do a single piece of business or you know, I went to Yell Law school, and I didn't use my law degree one time in the four years that my dad was president. And I painted, and you know, and I did well in painting. You know, I sold some paintings and all to people that everybody eventually, through subpoenas, was able to figure out. And you know, I made about two hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year. But the fact of the matter is is that I stayed to myself and it was never a choice to be a distraction. So I didn't feel like it was my place at that time during the administration to go on Twitter and fire off a few zingers, you know what I mean, Like, you know, it's just I have too much respect for the office and the people that work there and the just the amount of time that they commit to doing what's best for the administration, what's best for the country, and what was best for my dad. So I kind of out.
Speaker 3: And was that I mean, was that debated?
Speaker 1: Did you have conversations saying, look, they've crossed the line now for the you know, tenth time enough.
Speaker 3: It's not about me.
Speaker 1: It is about my dad, and I need to protect the integrity of our name, our family and just the bullshit that's out there. I mean, were there moments where you said, you know, okay, now I've got to come forward and and say something, but he held back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, yeah, I mean I understandswer to that is. Yeah. You know what one of those times was when they were they you know, they played that game where they wanted me to come testify before Congress, and I said, sure, I'll come, and I'll do it publicly. And I the only way that I'll do it is if you do it in front of the cameras and in committee, you know, and we can broadcast it live. And and people inside the White House were really opposed to that, and and that was probably the one time in which I said too bad, because at that point, you know, it just it so bothered me that they were able to get away with and continue to get away with this thing, like right now, what they're doing with the this Epstein you know, uh investigation at the Oversight Committee, which is no investigation. You know, they're not even you know, they released transcripts four days later. People come out and you know, they characterize it the way they could characterize it, and the press has already moved on to something else, and that's exactly what they did. But at that time, that's remember I went up to I went up to the hill and I went over to the UH to actual live committee, and I walked in. I sat and sat in the audience, and all of them, I remember, h Nancy Mace was saying, this is the this is the epitome of privilege, you know, And I said, he won't even tell. I said, I'm right here, I'm right I'm ready to go. And of course they didn't take me up on it. But there were times that I was very, very frustrated, but again it wasn't my call. And and UH and I'm and I'm really I'm grateful for exactly where I am right now though, because I don't know in that Maelstrom, whether I would have been out there and would have been all about all defensive, you know what I mean, It would have been like, oh, well that's not true, and that's not true, and why I can't admit to that, and I can't do this and and this now like I'm not running for anything as much as you know, the I think the the trolls on our side are triggering a hundred derangement syndrome. I call it now HDS. It's it has replaced TDS. But I'm not running. And you know, like, so I did a post today about you know, like it's the idiocracy two point zero, you know, I mean like this, and and I thought it was funny by the way I.
Speaker 1: Saw it today, I was I thought it was one of our posts, and they said, no, it's it's Hunter's post.
Speaker 3: I'm like Jesus, yeah, you know the way it got me.
Speaker 1: Thinking seriously, maybe you know, maybe on you know, Monday, the President's birthday, I may want to take a day off.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can take over my feet.
Speaker 2: I'm all in, I'm all in. You know, it's funny everybody thinks that there's like this, you know, Uh, like I got it. The d n C is working on my behalf. I feel like saying, when is the ever the DNC ever worked on it? And anybody's behd let alone mind uh but the uh, it's just me with my my my uh two little thumbs here. But it's liberating, you know, I mean, and part of it is this, you know, I think that somebody wrote an article in the American Conservative about uh that somebody sent me about this little run I'm having on Twitter, which you know, all all good things has come to an end. I can't keep up this space on my own. But and they said, you know, and it was actually pretty insightful in many ways, and it just said, it's all about authenticity. It's like, what are you going to do to a guy that basically claims it all? You know what I mean, that takes ownership for all of the things and fights back when you know you are you know, when you when you open yourself up for a punch, what are you going to do? And that's kind of like how Trump was back in you know, And they make the connection where I don't. I think they really fail is in that part is that the difference between being audacious and authentic is is real. Donald Trump has the audacity to say that he's six toot three and weighs two hundred and twenty four pounds when we both know he's five eleven, three hundred. You know. Donald Trump has the audacity to say the very fine people on both sides. Donald Trump has the audacity to say that he's going to end the war in Iraq in one day. Donald Trump has the audacity to lie to your face, and you know, piss on your leg and tell you that it's training. That's not authenticity. And I think that the American people have fundamentally confused that not and it's not their fault. God, I I look. I think everybody's carrying around a bag of heroin in their pocket. And it's called an iPhone. Okay, it is the dopamine hit of choice for three hundred and fifty million of us. And what we do is that we are fed this lie that this country's divided, that everybody hates everybody, that they're never going to be able to get along, that you know, if you believe this, then then you're a trader. And this is treason. And Hunter Biden is a is a pedophile, rapist blah blah blah, and governor knows him as you know, turning every school into a trans blah blah blah. It's not real, man, You and I both know it. It ain't real. It's literally what we're being fed by a handful of oligarchs that controller technology companies. I mean, I always give the example, do you remember this when the whistleblower came out from Facebook and she testified in twenty twenty two or twenty twenty twenty three, and she testified that Facebook knew well, knew full well that their algorithm was almost directly responsible for this for the exponential spike in suicides among girls between the ages of thirteen and seventeen, exponential a three hundred and thirty percent, I think increase in that, which, by the way, continues to this day.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And you know what we did about it? Not a thing, by the way, all of us. I don't mean just Congress, I mean all of us. What did we do about it? You know what, We still got the phone in our pocket. And by the way, I'm as guilty as that as anybody. And I just think, like, if we can get people to realize that is that we don't hate each other, we're being told to hate each other. And so that's why I want to go on candas owns. I want to go talk to Tucker. I even want to go to talk to people that I literally, I mean, my first question in the movie was why he's such a Nazi to Nick Quents, you know what I mean. I want to talk I because God, you know this, and I'm talking too much, But that's my job as a Biden is eighteen to thirty thirty five year olds draft age generation. They're angry, man, They're really angry. And we can sit here and say they're stupid and they don't know what they're talking about, and they're so dumb that they fall into the trap of like is like these people and these people that they're online, they're not man. They just want to belong, they want to feel like they have some control. And I'll tell you what, A generation of people that lost two years of their life, the most important years of their life in COVID, and we don't even remotely recognize the trauma of that. And I think that that's what we're living through. And at the same time, the exact wrong person came along to the stage and literally lit the match. And that's who we have right now. So you know, I think it's I think what you're doing in the way that you're talking, I mean, it's inspiring to me.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate all that and so much to unpack Hunter and what you were just saying. And I'm curious, you know, I just in the context, just in a contemporary space. You know, we're were talking after the main primary what do you think in the context of authenticity versus the audacity frame of Platiner as a as you know, an example, I mean, you know, the Democrats struggling a little bit to reconcile. You mentioned Nick Flentest, and obviously the Platiner tattoo, and you know some of the prior comments. What do you what do you make of him in the context of of all this that you're describing.
Speaker 2: Take him at his word that that and which by the way, is not something he's not saying something new today that he wasn't saying four months ago or five months ago, which is this. He was a veteran, a combat veteran, and and he came back, you know, he had some real issues and with PTSD and and that trauma and whatever way that he was working it out. He I think has been really really open about is that he wasn't a good person. And here's what I know. It takes a lot of of stamina at least I'm not gonna say, uh, I think courage too. I'll give myself that to to get back up and and and build a better life. And I don't uh, I'm I'm ninety nine point nine percent certain is that Graham Platner is no Nazi, you know, And and I don't think that he's a racist in any way. I hear the way that he talks. I think that his relationship with his wife is his relationship with his wife. The entirety of that controversy is, you know, it's all about you know, leaked, consensual you know stuff, I mean stupid. Maybe you would have a problem. Uh not you, I mean anyone would. I would have a problem. But like you know, I always say to people, like show me your phone, give me access to your eye cloud, let me let's let's let's let's go through it and pull everything that we can that is inappropriate, that is off color. That is, you know, uh, that selfie that you took when you're drunk off your ass and you know you send it to your blah blah blah, Like show me your phone. And if that's the standard by which we are going to judge people, particularly people in an elected office, then I don't think we're going to have many people in elected office. And so as a relates to Grant Platter I focus on this is that I have not heard anything in any way that would say to me.
Speaker 4: That that that he is a abusive, misogynistic, or anti Semitic or racist person.
Speaker 2: And I have heard this from grand Platner though, that he thinks we should all have free health care. I have heard this from grand Platner also that he thinks that we have to radically change our politics. I have heard this from grand Platner that working people are getting fucking screwed. I have heard this from grand Platner that we aren't all. That they have us at each other's throats and we should be at their throats. I have heard this from grand Platner that he thinks the oligarchs and the tech tech are tech overlords and billionaires are really really really making it the playing field unfair for working class people. That's what I've heard from grand Plattner. And so I hope I'm right about that, because you know, I look at somebody and I know you probably have a personal relationship with him, but you know, I watched as Zoramndani kind of uh came up and I thought, holy shit, like I like what I'm hearing, you know, And then when he got elected, I thought, I hope, I hope he can deliver, and you know what like talk about delivering. I mean talk about delivering, and you're thinking about things like you know, you know what I would do, what I'm going to advise you to do on your first day as president is this, do something about rent. Rent. Do something about the algorithms that create the uh uh that that create a system that is completely unfair because of company the companies like black Rock and and and these giant hedge funds and private equity funds that have come and bought up all of the housing and now are basically in collusion with each other to increase rent by eight percent a year across the board, almost nationally, without any state or governor being able to do anything directly about it necessarily. And you know, you know what people are most concerned about, real people, like ninety five percent of us is rent. You know, more people rent today than as compared to ownership, than any time in history. And so if you're thirty five years old, married and you have two kids and you rent in a house, that eight percent that goes up the next year because of some guy. By the way, I'm not talking about small landlords. I'm talking about these private equity companies that have come and you got to make a choice between whether you're going to stay in your house or whether you're going to you know, be able to buy food, or whether you're going to be able to get diapers. And you're working two jobs and your wife is working two jobs. It's just you know, people are just trying to make it buy Yeah, you got it anyway.
Speaker 3: No, look, I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And you know, without going down that rabbit hole though as substance of it as is, I think it connects things in more ways and more days and explains more things to your point about the nihilism a lot of young people feel, and this this sort of this belonging deficit, dignity deficit where people don't feel connected, respected or protected broadly, the algorithms sort of dialing up that outrage and people dialing back now and giving into that despair, and many people and going back to sort of the origin story here self medicating and many people you know, struggling in historic ways. And I want to go back to that a little bit, because you know, this really is, you know, your journey is shared by, as you suggest, towards of fifty million people. And you know, I just wrote it, finished a book and talked about you know, I learned so much in the process of writing a book.
Speaker 3: You wrote a book in twenty twenty one, and I imagine you.
Speaker 1: Went through the same process of, you know, learning about yourself and discovering things that you never knew about yourself, your own motivations on the basis of your parents bio. Your grandparents bio. How they were born and raised. And my grandfather spent four years prisoner war after marching in Corrigador, came back broken, alcoholic, and ultimately took his own life. And so this notion, you know that you share that journey that that Plattner and others. There's grace in terms of empathy and understanding some humility of the journey that people, all of us are on in different ways. But your journey for the last seven years has been pretty remarkable. And you talked about painting and and and I think big part of the origin story of the painting, if I'm not mistaken, was that was also part of your journey. A catharsis your ability sort of substitute the habitual nature of an addiction with a creative outlet and the dexterity, the sort of rutinization of that art literally and figuratively helping you with that recovery. And so the focus, I know, Tim and others focused on, well, all the art that you sold, and you talk about it two hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year, hardly becoming a multimillionaire as a distraction.
Speaker 3: But for you, that was about your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. And you know I painted my whole life and since I was a kid and making art since I was a kid, and and it was something that always gave me a relief and a release. And part of that is about you know, people that have suffered from addiction before, and you can understand this, which is the need to get out of your own head is much more acute I think in addicts and any than than the rest of us. And you know, and painting is that because painting, for me, is that the complete and other focus on the It's something that requires your mental and physical coordination at the same time. And Melissa and I just gotten married. I was newly clean and sober and uh and she went out and she bought me this table that is back in uh Malibu, and and she put it out in this little kind of shed that we had in the house that we were staying at, the beautiful windows, and she bought me some painting supplies and from that day, you know, I paint, you know, hours a debt. I wake up, you know, usually by uh five six, and I'm at that table. When I'm back there, I'm in my studio and I and I paint as long as I possibly can. And it was it has given me a an incredible sense of purpose because the other side of painting is this is that the creative act in and of itself is a beautiful thing, but when you share it with somebody else, it becomes almost an active courage. And I dont mean that in the sense of whether you're whether you play music or you sing, or you or you're a dancer, or you're a painter or is it is really amazing to do that in the confines of your own, you know room, but there's this really thrilling and enthralling and scary thing to do. Then share that with anybody else, and that's what I did. It really was a beautiful thing. You know that. The name of the book that I wrote was that, and the title came from bow To when he was dying said he had lost a lot of his ability to speak because of the ephasia that occurred because the crany old resections. And but we had a little like code together, and he would just say beautiful things. And he didn't mean beautiful things like possessions. He meant beautiful things like family, beautiful things like nature, beautiful things like uh, like my love of painting and and uh. And that's kind of the where I've I've ended up as my entire focus is on trying to focus on those beautiful things, which sometimes can come off as zingers on X. And when I'm talking about Don Jr. That's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: I think about you, And I mean, obviously you know, and you've talked a lot about it, you were in a lot about it, and your dad spoke and so extraordinarily openly about Boe and but but you know, growing up and you guys, you know, just the tragedy both of you survived, and the bond that you guys had and in the relationship that was you know, you have brother the relationships are you know, often close, but this was the next level relationship in terms of what you guys were forged and and and the experiences.
Speaker 3: You both shared.
Speaker 1: But what was it like just growing up in the spotlight of a father who, you know, before he was president, vice president, before his vice president was a candidate for president, was a dominant force for decades and decades, youngest center in history and thirty good even get sworn in when he was originally elected. But what was it like growing up in a political family? I mean, was it was it just you know, peaches and strawberries, It was you know, fantastic and privilege or was it you know, man held to a different standard?
Speaker 3: How was that growing up?
Speaker 2: Now? You know, growing up in I always say that that I in part because of my dad, but also in part because of the state of Delaware. You know, Delaware is a small place, and I think it's population just you know, south of a million still right now, even you know, smaller nineteen seventy two when that first got elected, probably around six hundred thousand or so. And by virtue of that, like you know, my dad was Joe to everybody, And by virtue of the accident when my mom and my brother and I were in when my mom and my sister were killed, is that the whole kind of state you know, adopted us and we had, you know, literal you know, everybody was an aunt and uncle and which was really it was a beautiful thing. And so Delaware always felt like family and felt like home, and with the same kind of treatment, like if I got pulled over by a cop for speed and you know, the cop didn't go, well, you know, mister Biden will let you off this time, they said to your task's going to kick your ass. I can't wait for I see him down at the train station. And so that we didn't grow up in d C. You know, I said something the other day, I said, you know, Mike, the way in which they treated Dad. At the end of twenty twenty four, after the debate, I said his part and the reason was he was never a part of that elite insider d C press. And somebody said, you know a lot of people said, well, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You're trying to tell me that somebody that spends fifty years in Washington, d C. There was chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, that was a vice president, that was a president, wasn't inside d C. And what I wanted to say is that, well, you don't know d C. If you don't know that my dad went home every day. That means something. He did not show up at the Georgetown cocktail parties. He was not at the you know, the the Aaronson's House on Sunday with the other Supreme Court justices. And you know, I mean like there is a and I know that world because I lived there for myself for a while, which he never did. And and so for that reason, my childhood was uh was was normal and as much as it possibly could be, even though dad was a United States senator. And you know, now, did we get to do some cool stuff? Yeah, I mean we used to go down on the train and and hang out with my dad anytime that we wanted to. In the Senate and uh, you know was one of the most increasing I love the Senate. I love the history of those buildings, and I loved being there to watch and also because of my mom's death, a lot of the old uh like really uh names nobody will remember now except in their home states. But like Mike Mansfield and and and Danny and Oway who is my hero and uh you know, and the list goes on. Teddy Kennedy uh took us under their wing, which was incredibly privileged thing to do. I got to meet men and women that I think and body Bob Dole, you know, who was a cervic guy, but he loved me, I mean me and Bow and we got to go in the cloak room and do things and see that and see uh history unfold. And it was an incredible childhood from that perspective. And what I learned in that is that politics done uh nobly is a noble thing and uh and I really believe that. And I think everybody goes, oh, you know, I don't like politics. Not a good politics. I think it's such a cop out. It's like, you know, because the truth of the matter is is that the only way that we can sustain a constitutional republic and this democracy is if we engage in politics. It doesn't mean that we have to engage in no holds barred partisanship where it's a zero sum game, but we have to engage in politics. And my dad was the master of finding a way through legislatively with people that no one would have thought that he could have done that. I mean, and for instance, the you know, like Pep Park, the President's emergency plan for as really I mean, if it were not for my dad, with with Jesse Hilmes being able to bring him on board, for that, I would have never gotten done. And all the credit goes to U. You know well by the way, as you and I both know, all the credit goes to Bono and Bobby Shreiver, which is true. Yeah, but that that that was my childhood. You know, what was it?
Speaker 3: What was it like Hunter?
Speaker 1: When you mean it must have been radically different as vice president, meaning all of a sudden now it's secret service, different levels of scrutiny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, completely different.
Speaker 3: Was that? I mean? Was that did that?
Speaker 1: Was that more of a shock of the system or was it you know, because of all those reps and because of your deeper understanding of you know, the ways of of you know, within that court or at least of d C and the whole way.
Speaker 2: It was it was a radical difference and not one that I was very comfortable with the pomp and circumstance of it. And uh is it can be intoxicating, I think at first, and and and then it can be very overwhelming when you you're you fully understand that you're you're very much not particularly as the son the second son of the the Vice President of the United States States. It's like, you're not You're not in you know, You're not you know, like in the mix, you know what I mean with the understandable assumption from people on the outside that somehow that you know that you are and uh. And I think one of the mistakes that I made is that I I stayed in d C. The girls were in school by that time. We had been in Delaware. I'd moved back down to d C because I had started my law froom. I tried to commute like BO did, but I had taken a job as an adjunct professor at Georgetown University's Master's program on the School Foreign Service, because at the time, I was the chairman of the board of the World Food Program US, and so I was traveling all over the world at like going to hotspots like Lebanon and bay Rude during the searing refugee crisis and a typhoon, high End and and and all these things. And I was teaching at Georgetown, and I had my business, and the idea of commuting back and forth just became too much for me. As I always said to my dad, I said, when I'm late to a meeting. People leave when you're late to a meeting, they wait. And it was a mistake on my part though, because I really I don't I don't dislike DC, but the the but it's a company town. It's very much a company town, and everything is about, you know, proximity to power and and people are not are not shy about it, and it's just it kind of SAPs your soul to to a certain degree, you know. I mean that was my experience. And again though, it's like what an honor like to be able to say what it's like inside the Vice President's residence, Like like who gets to say that? And I don't like or to be able to even have remotely at criticism of being able to stay over at your dad's house. And it happened to be the White House. Like I only stayed in the I was only in the White House, Uh, probably forty nights because we were out with the U in in the great state of California, which, by the way, I will tell you this. I've had so many people say when are you coming home? And I say to them, are you out of your mind?
Speaker 3: There we go?
Speaker 2: I wait every day, it's seventy five degrees in sunny, and I'm looking out at the Pacific Ocean and I you know, and I'm going to lunch in the Hollywood Hills, and I think, like, what where would you ever want to live other than maybe, you know, a couple hours north of there. I mean, it's amazing. But anyway, the it was tough, not tough in the sense of like, oh it was a hardship, but it just wasn't my style and and and anyway, you know it it uh, it kind of all fell apart at one point after died.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and then you started, I mean, that's when the sort of spiral of addiction started to take shape. And have your best friend to call every day, your father's devastated, you know, you know, everybody you.
Speaker 3: Know people even you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's when that I mean, forgive me, but now I'm looking back, just that was the time.
Speaker 3: Obviously the marriage came to an end as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all almost simultaneously. And it was I was I was a drift. I was totally drift. And I say this not for the shock value of it. I was trying to commit suicide, but I didn't have the courage to do it. In a way that would have been immediate and final. It was when I first smoke crack. It was a conscious choice. I'm going to do the single thing that is probably the most destructive thing that I can do. And I walked out of a of a of a rehabilitation center, an outpatient program that I had been in for a period of time because everybody was worried to death for me and and a whole long story, but they wouldn't let me back in the program. And then I walked to Lincoln Park, which was, you know, uh about two blocks from this program, and I knew a woman that had been you know, I had known her because I'd worked in the area for you know, a worker lived in the area for twenty years and everybody called her Bicycles and she was crack addic and everybody knew she was crack attic and she was funny as shit and she and I walked up to her and said, going to buy some pack and she said sure. And that was the and then you know, that was became at that time a three year odyssey like no other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And for you you know, it's and you can imagine for people. I'll speak for myself but I imagine millions of others just to hear you, especially you know, I mean on the CANISO and podcast to just say it, own it and say quote unquote, yeah I was a crackhead. Which is a hell of a thing to say, is what was said about you. But your willingness to just own that again, yeah, is that? I mean, was there a moment when it just you're like, you know, and I keep going back to this question because it's it's a hell of a statement just to to you know, to claim something talk about courage, yeah, and humility.
Speaker 3: In that respect.
Speaker 2: So unlike most people that are you know, publicly humiliated because it's something they've done, something they've said that or you know, whatever it might be, justify so or or unfairly is that it didn't happen in a drip trip. For me, it all happened at once. All the pictures were out, all one hundred and thirty thousand emails that were stolen, all thirty thousand text messages, all you know, ninety eight thousand photographs and videos, every voicemail that I ever left anybody. They had hacked my iCloud and several different devices, including a laptop, including another laptop that was stolen in Las Vegas, including a phone. And by the way, this isn't like conjecture on my part. They all it's all out there. They all that each one of these people that participated in this operation and they ended up getting in a fight with each other and who It's like who got what?
Speaker 3: And Hunter who? I mean who? For those that aren't familiar, I mean, who are the who? What was it this?
Speaker 1: I mean there was a lot of conversation Russian disinformation. We I talked to her about Bannon and you know, obviously Rudy.
Speaker 2: So you know that there's this whole thing about hind that this idea that that when those forty intelligence officers wrote that this has all the hallmarks of Russian disinformation and you know twitters, you know, uh, you know Twitter sphere kind of and then Maga is you know, like you lie to us. This is you know, the laptop was real? The laptop and I keep saying, is all a red hearing? Is that what the what those forty intelligence officials were talking about is that they were talking about an ongoing Russian operation that was identified by the Justice Department under Donald Trump that involved a guy named Andre derikatch Constantine Kulik, tell Azenko, a guy named Dimitri Fertash who Rudy Giuliani was taking information from literally Dosier's. He filmed it on Oan. He did a documentary in real time with him in Leb Parnes and Igor Fruhman and about searching for my laptop that was being offered for sale inside of Ukraine and Russia and Austria by a guy named Dmfi Fertash. That all was happening before the laptop repair shop guy was a twinkle in Rudy Giuliani's eye, okay. And what happened was is that the only thing that the laptop proved a quote unquote laptop hard drive, iCloud hack, whatever you want to call it. The only thing that proved is that I was a degenerate crackhead doing degenerate crackhead things. And when I say that, all consensual things, you know, because what happened next is this is I did the New Yorker interview right in twenty nineteen, right when I got a sober. I got a call from Adam Intos from the New Yorker, and I loved the New Yorker, and I mean, when I was a kid, I mean, I always thought that I would be able to be a poet and have my art, my poetry in the New Yorker and so and the only reason I took his call was because of that. And I ended up making one of the best decisions of my life because Adam is a really fine writer. And he listened, and the story ostensibly started about barisma, and it ended up being about the fact that I was deep into it, coming out of a deep addiction. And that came out in July of twenty nineteen, and the first call that he got was from Steve Bannon, who said, m Efer, you scooped us, because that was their plan. What they were going to do is they were going to release all of the images from the laptop of me, you know, in compromising sexual positions and you know, you know, people taking pictures of me with the cracked pipe in my mouth and things like that, and that was going to be the October surprise. But I took it away from him. And so what they did is they concocted this other thing. They held onto it all the way up until October of twenty twenty. And in the meantime, what had been happening. Is all of those Dimitri Fertash, Constantine Cooley, tell A Zenko, all of the Andre Diurkash had all been sanctioned by the US government by the Trump administration for running a election interference operation inside of the United States because they were feeding to a guy named Alexander Smirnov a bribery charge that Hunter Biden took a bribe on behalf of his father from the Ukrainians. And that's what Rudy did. So Rudy walks out onto the Newcastle County Courthouse, Delaware, and he does two things. He said that this is evidence of criminal activity in Hunter Biden and is being paid by the Ukrainians like the government, and the Chinese like the government, of which neither one of those things is even remotely true. And he said, and this contains evidence of inappropriate images of children, which obviously is not true. Nope, which is like beyond. But you know what it is. It's the oldest trick in the book. It literally was started by the Nazis and Putin then deployed it in two that Rachel Maddow talks about this all the time. It's called eliminationist rhetoric. If they can get anyone to believe that you're a pedophile, then the ability for them to get it. Say, they go out and they say that it doesn't bear any resemblance to anything. If ten percent of their community believe that, then sixty percent can believe that you're capable of bribery. Seventy percent think that you're capable of undue influence, I mean, And so that's what they did. And it's like everybody else dismisses that part about it. But then when you had the New York Post come along and they literally all they did didn't matter what the headline is, what it was about. It was a picture of me in a motel room smoking a pipe or or and with my shirt off with a woman that was blurred out, and it's like, this is your degenerate and tell me that he's not also capable of, you know, you know, taking a bribe. And that's what they did and to great effects, you know, I mean, people forget is that I had a My criminal prosecution was completely sewn up after four different US attorneys and investigating crime tax at the Department of Justice, Main Justice, the FBI, the IRS, IRS, criminal Investigations Division, and they'd all come to the conclusion that I had not committed a felony offense in any way, and I was getting a I entered into a plea agreement in which I was going to plead guilty to two misdemeanors, which were failure to file my taxes on time because I had paid all my taxes with penalties and interest, and a diversion agreement because they say that I had purchased a gun at a time when I should have known that I was addicted to a controlled substance, which, by the way, is the correct thing, is the correct result. And so I signed that agreement, and they signed the agreement. And so I have assigned agreement with the US Attorney in the state of Delaware approval with krim tax, completely independent from Maine Justice or anybody in manjestice making a decision. And I go to court and they blow it up. They bring in these two prosecutors from Baltimore that had never been a part of the case. And after and there were four amicas briefs sent into the court, not as before any decision was made that said, like from the Heritage Foundation, everybody that you know, a list of four thousand crimes I had committed. Fox News and the Murdoch Empire and everybody in the magosphere like went full force for forty six days, which is totally unheard of that I would have been had a plea agreement and not be arraigned on that agreement within seventy two hours. But they delayed it. And when it came to the court, the court said, mister Biden, you have an immunity clause in here, which is normal for a plea agreement. Of course, you don't sign a plea agreement without an immunity's clause because you don't want the government to come back and say, oh no, we decided that. And it sounds to me like the the attorney is saying that that community would not apply to you know, X Y or Z. And I said, well, it's it's a signed agreement. We're done here here on her like this is over. She said, well I don't think so, and she and they and they purposely blew up the agreement completely and then they charged me with things that they've never charged anybody before with. But that was the whole kind of trajectory of of all of this, and your original question, though, was this long lost in my my fifty six year old brain, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to get back to us, no.
Speaker 1: Hunter, What I mean, was it just the just the external political pressure that that this around sound, that sort of grievance, the organization of that agreements against you your dad that was coming out of you know, Newsmax one American News Fox Murdock ink. I mean, it was just twenty four to seven that just created the pressure on the Justice Department to reconsider the judge. I mean, where, why did that? Why why the sudden shift after agreement period?
Speaker 2: It was just political pressure, pure, pure, pure, pure political pressure. You know. They literally there were so many death threats against the US the assistant US Attorney who was a twenty year veteran at the US Attorney's Office in Delaware for entering into the agreement, and the U S Attorney that she had to go into hiding, and they brought in these two guys from Baltimore, the tame two guys that that you know, uh prosecuted the Democratic mayor in the state and city of Baltimore and the the district attorney and like they you know they were riding high on you know, this thing and and and that's exactly why. And the U S Attorney got just absolutely excoriated until the point where he then you know, ripped up the plea agreement, which you can't do. But but we're and and and applied for didn't apply. He says he's going to be special counsel, which is unheard of by the way that a sitting US attorney was also a special council. It's in complete violation of the statute as written. And so he becomes special counsel. And before the uh statute of limitations is up on both of those things, they charged me with, you know, six feltonies and like, you know, what's what what are you going to do? Is I say to everybody, is that the idea that uh, the chances of beating the federal government, uh, you know, in a in a in a criminal case or really really really slim. I mean that's why they have you know, ninety five percent conviction rates the full force of the Justice Department when it descends upon you. It's an awesome thing to witness.
Speaker 1: But it's impossible to hear this and just I mean it's I mean, most folks listening and watching know this, but it's important to mind everybody, this was happening when your dad is president of the United States. This is happening a Justice department with his handpicked Attorney general. And yet your father continues to be criticized for tipping the scale of justice and weaponizing the Department of Justice against quote unquote his enemies. Meanwhile, his own son is being prosecuted along these lines after a plea agreement was already signed.
Speaker 2: Where I'm from, what you say something like that is you can't make this ship up.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you put it in terms all of us can understand.
Speaker 2: You can't make this exactly. But by the way, Dad gets so mad, He's said, you got to stop cussing. You got to stop cussing.
Speaker 1: Well, I've never heard you like you did with with Andrew when you did that first podcast.
Speaker 2: That was man, you know, by the way, all earned, all earned, all earned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And don't think I'm going to let you go without getting into a little bit of those more contemporary topics that triggered you back then.
Speaker 3: Not that I'm here to trigger you necessarily.
Speaker 2: But no, no, I'm not triggered by.
Speaker 1: It, but it's but a lot of it is worthy of of some of some additional commentary. But but it's a good segue then just the Department of Justice, this notion of weaponization. Of course we've seen now Trump back in office, your father feeling, you know, and I don't want to get down the rabbit hole of you know, your father, you know, surf shifting his own mindset as it relates to the part in at the end of the day where you know, he was sort of holding the line against it and ultimately realized on the other side of this.
Speaker 2: Is is yeah, is this is this is This is another thing that I really feel that if I sat in front of a lot of these people that are an outsized voice within a conservative communities, there is no more maggot in my opinion, Okay, And if it is, it's a very small percentage of what used to be called the Republican Party, but there is still a genuine conservative movement out there. And who's going to take the mantle of the intellectual forefront of that. I don't know, But I can't imagine sitting not sitting in front of Tucker Carlson, looking him in the eye and saying, you know, Tucker, my dad said that he wouldn't give me a pardon. And he was absolutely, one hundred percent genuine about it when he would say he wouldn't give me a parton, and he said it in a moment in time where he thought that he was going to be the next president of the United States, and there would be a Justice Department that would treat me fairly, and there would be a court system that would not be intimidated by a tyrant, that would not have an attorney general that is willing that it's his own personal attorney, or at that time, if you remember correctly, is that Matt Gates was going to become the Attorney General of the United States. Cash Betel has the head of FBI. I would have been under the supervision of the of the Bureau of Federal Prisons and Probation. The idea that they would not have violated I would not look for everything that I was convicted for. The idea that I would have gone to jail is zero zero under any circumstances. None. I was a first time offender. I had never like non violent victimist climbs on both of them, I paid all my taxes with penalties and interest. Anybody that was in my position would have been in a payment plan with the IRS through a settled a settlement. There's over one point six billion dollars in taxes owed by over a million people that make over a million dollars a year in the United States right now every year that have owed for over five years. By the way, I'm going to win the gun case. It's going to get overturned in the Supreme Court, I believe, unfortunately in the harmonic case that is about to come out right. So in a in a whether it was it a Biden administration or whoever. And by the way, if it was in a mid Romney administration, if it was in a John McCain administration, if it was in anybody that was an actual Republican and not a tyrant or fascist, my dad would not have pardoned me because I could, I could fend for myself in that system. I could take the lumps, I could continue on and I would be okay. But the idea that you would leave anyone, and particularly your son, just I mean think about from that respect, literally, you all your Fourth Amendment rights are gone. Surch and teacher is no longer a constitutional right that you that you have an advantage of if you're a convicted felon, the ability for a probation officer at any time to enter your house without a warrant, to go into your room, to do anything that they want to do, to violate you in any way they choose, at any time of day or night. And it would have been like having a gun to my family's head for the next four years at least. And so that's why he pardoned me. I mean, it's a really incredibly rational decision, and it was a really difficult decision. And you know how proud of my dad I am is. The fact of the matter is he chose me over his legacy, because no matter what you say, that's going to be the one of the first things that is written about him. And that's how you know, I say to people, that's how much you know my dad loves me.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on.
Speaker 2: He chose me over his political legacy for that reason.
Speaker 1: And I was with him the day you were indicted. We had a press conference out here in San Francisco. Is driving with him and the bear and I'll just that's a private story I'll share with you him talking about you, and he cut me off. We were talking about something else and he was not thinking about anything else except you in that day, understandably, and he was trying to indulge me and said some things man that for you know, have hardwired me, imprinted on me. That's where my loyalty will always be with your dad, just the love he as for you, and you know, forgive me just as a as a parent anyway.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So I just that's you, you know that.
Speaker 1: But boy, you know, just to be there at that moment and to hear that expression and the depth of that was was as a father and as someone who lost My father was a pronounced brother.
Speaker 3: But let me just.
Speaker 1: Look any seguas to you know, just to the you know, all that shit you took twenty four to seven surround sound weaponization, all the you know, all of that, and here we are fast forward with the Department of Justice. We can you know, we don't even need to. We can just blow past the January sixth stuff. Obviously, this one point seven seven six billion dollar UH Weaponization fund and and all the mischigosh there. But you know, come on, man, you brought up junior Eric Kushnurse Albania, which coughs border piece meme coins USC. I mean you were tweeting about that today. Now there's a coin related to the USC. We've got, you know, forget the days of Cologne. It's Bibles and it's you know, first lady bibles, not just Trump Bibles. You've got sneakers, we've got phones. I mean, this grift is the likes of which we've You can't even can't make this back to this. You can't make this s and everything you went through.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they literally they they ruin it all. Like you know what I like the UFC watching it. They ruined it. They ruin it. It makes it hard, now, do you know what I mean? It literally does because everybody's got to choose a side. They have to put it on the goddamn South Lawn and in the middle of two and fiftieth anniversary. I mean, I can't understand why Dana White. I don't even think against Dana White, but what the fuck man, Like, it's your brand, Like, how are you doing this? How are you doing this? How is this appropriate? How is this appropriate? And I just don't get crypto. Let me take it into crypto. I was red pilled a long time ago as it released to bitcoin. I don't care that I'm not. You know, meme coins. If you talk to anybody between the age of eighteen and thirty five, meme token of mean culture and tokens are something that they fully completely understand. And you know what, there was a lot of promise in that, a lot of freedom in that, a lot of an idea in which your level of attention could be something in which you could monetize that you could do micro transactions and create communities with. They've totally distorted it and made it a total grift. I mean, look at bitcoin. I love the idea bitcoin not coming from I don't know own any bitcoin. I don't know. I don't have two nickels to rub together. But the fact of the matter is that you have it. I went sorry, sorry to get off on this tangent. Well, when I was the chairman of the board of the World Threugh Program, the US UN World Food Program, largest humanitarian organization in the world. I ran the US part of it, okay, which was responsible for sixty percent of its budget, which we went from when I was chairman from one point six billion dollars a year to two point four billion dollars a year in which we were able to raise and come at a US interest, fed eighty million people in seventy three different countries on a daily basis. Okay, so I would go to these hotspots, so when there was a typhoon or was it a natural disaster, or whether there's a war, and we would. And World Food Program is always the first on the ground because they have all the airlift of the UN and so they bring in everybody else. And so it was critical. And one of the pieces was is that when you bring in refugees into these places, is that they cannibalized the local economy, which is usually really unstable at the time anyway, and so you bring in all of this free food, and all of a sudden, then you are these subsistence farmers and these local shops and things they get that nobody's going to them anymore. And so what we wanted to do is we wanted to bring money into the into the communities, into the economy, and rather than making the repugees a drain on it, is that they're actually adding to it. And we had to figure out a way to be able to do micro transactions that could be go through cell phones and and it became the pilot program was incredibly successful. And you realize like in places like Kabira and which is the largest you know, former repugee slum in the world in Nairobi and it and it is an entire working economy and which you can go into a shack that is the size of a closet to buy a Fanta soda with a flip phone and for the equivalent of seventeen cents. That's what cryptocurrency is, the true promise of it outside of a banking system and which you have to go through VAT or you have to go through through you know, like by the way, like do I trust that? Or Jamie Diamond, do you know what I mean? Like you know what I mean? Like what's the I And so anyway, my point is is they sully everything. They sully everything, They tarnish everything. I mean, he made thirty seven thousand trades in the first quarter of this year, thirty seven thousand trades, more than most multi billion dollar hedge funds make in a single quarter. And I'm talking about like I mean, like he is a hyper trader, and and he's trading stocks in large numbers of companies like Dell and Navidia and Apple and what she's canning out billion dollar contracts too. And by the way, those trades directly coincide with whatever action that he's thinking. And we do all sit here and go like, well, you know, and sorry to do this, but I have too much fun doing it. And you know, Jake Brick, Tamblin, Tapper sits and goes. But you know what, Joe Biden just wrote a book that said that she believed in her husband. It isn't that a crime? And it's like, what are you all talking about? Excuse my languig. Sorry, he's gonna kill me. I swear to I told him. I promised I would, I would, I would try to stop cussing. But you know, to your point, it's the it's it's I think you know it's Steve Bannon thing though, okay is that? And you know this and and you're about to feel it in a way that's even more intense, which doesn't seem possible. I promise you it is then than it has been. Is a fire hose of falsehoods. They are just opening this bigot and it it becomes so overwhelming that even a captured press doesn't have to you know, it makes his hard on any of them. I mean, what do you focus on? Do you focus on the gold shoes, or do you focus on the new coin that they just released, or do you focus on the six hundred and twenty million dollar Pentagon loan, largest ever made to any single company in the history of the United States of America, to Don Junior for a startup company about rare earth minerals. And they say that I wasn't qualified to be on a board. I mean, Jesus Christ, I mean, how in the world Jared Kushner six point two billion dollars from Golf State, all of it from Golf State, eighty million dollars in fees annually at a minimum before you get to carry on that investment. And he's taken it from people in which he's negotiating a war on behalf of the United States of America that nobody wanted with ran that their interests are directly tied to Eric Trump. One hundred one point five billion dollar is really drove own company that made its that made its mark in Gaza with their drones selling in going public and selling into the DoD because they merged with one of Eric's you know, like golf companies or something. I don't know. I mean, I don't even know what the hell is, but they're open about it. They're standing there ringing the bell at the was. You know, they're not on the front page. And meanwhile New York Times had me on the front page for I don't know, seemed like four six and eighty days street with you know, Ken Vogel doing these you know, writing long form books about you know, whether or not the influence you know what they're talking about. Eighty five percent of that none of it had to do with it any time when my dad was president. Any of the business deals that they're talking about all happened when my dad was neither president nor vice president. This whole ten percent for the big guy thing. I didn't read that email. Some jack I wrote it to me trying to get me to be a part of a deal while my dad was out of office, even if it was true, which it was not. There's no there's not even anything unethical about it. But all of a sudden it becomes the tagline and people catch on to it. And you know, if you're Ken Vogel or Peter Baker or you know these guys, is like this false gospel of balance in the media is just it's like, you know, a scale has two pans, all right, and when you put a weight on one side, the other side goes up. And that's a fact. And we're supposed to believe that it's always an even way, and it's not. There are facts, and there is truth, and the truth is they are more corrupt than any single administration of all the competent and I'm talking about Andrew Johnson. Corrupt more than Andrew Johnson. I mean, go back and read your history, and I've read it. No one even remotely comes close. My line is is if they ever leave the White House, they're going to steal the copper pipes.
Speaker 1: Or we've already he's already got the Declaration of Independence on in the oval. So I'm not sure he distinguishes whether or not it's ours or his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, he doesn't even know what it is. Remember when he pointed to it and he said, you know this, I forget he'd like referred to it as the Constitution or something. I mean, it really doesn't. He doesn't know the significance of that document and what it means to the American people, just like he doesn't know the significance of what it means to but at that's south lawn, what it means to me, what it means to a normal person that has never been able to walk on that uh and never had the privilege of walking out those doors to that south lawn and thinking about that's where the helicopter took off with, you know, with Lyndon Johnson when he left. That's where uh. You know, that's the same law that Abraham Lincoln. There's the tree that that Teddy Roosevelt planted, and he's putting a fucking cage and he's putting on a show bread and circus, Bread and circus. And by the way, that's all it is to him. The gold, the Rose Garden, the Oval Office is bread and circus. He knows what he's doing. He knows that people are absolutely enthralled by it. And again and what it is, it's audacity versus authenticity, And I am and I'm certain you know it can only last so long. The question is what are we going to have to rebuild with that's really what I.
Speaker 1: Think, and and and hunter to that, you know, and again I'm mindful of our time.
Speaker 3: You know, the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: You made oblique reference earlier in the conversation about the party.
Speaker 3: I mean, what is what is to you? The Democratic Party? What is it? Is there a party? What is the party?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: The party? Is your dad? Is it? Is it? Bill? And Hillary? Is it interested in the party? Nancy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all of it. It's all of it. It's it's the it's the one thing I always say. It's that Will Rogers line. And I'm not a part of I'm not a member of any organized party. I'm a Democrat And that's so true. And you know it is this is that I've never known in my life. And you've been doing this your whole with other wife. When have we ever had a Democratic Party before we had a nominee, Until we get a nominee, until we get somebody deleted, we do not have a Democratic Party has never existed. It's never happened before. You know why it is because we always are trying to find a way and it looks like absolute chaos. But I'll tell you what, when we get a nominee, we'll have a direction. Take twenty twenty. Everybody sits around and particularly these guys that I know that you're friends with, and I'm not going to name names, and I'm not friends friends with, but I do. You don't want to be enemies, so you don't want me to, just as they're so smart and they're all the ones that you know, the reason that they're the reason that Barack Obama won.
Speaker 3: So you're you're going right, you're hitting the axel rod right now.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I mean he is one. He wrote the speeches, he did this, he did that. You know, he's the nominee, you know, and twenty twenty would never be Joe Biden, never gonna Joe Biden would never win. He's by the way. It wasn't because he was too old. Was because you know, you needed you know, uh, you know, new fresh blood and this that and the other thing. And his policies are old and he doesn't he doesn't understand Washington anymore. I'll never be able to get anything done. He's delusional. He's living in a time that's gone by. You know what my dad was. My dad was Joe Biden, and everybody knew Joe Biden. He was the most authentic man in politics at that time. Joe Biden may have misspoken, but very rarely. The truth of the matter was his gap was his was everyone else's truth. It didn't matter what he said, and everybody would go But you know what, it was never a lie. It was never fake. He was never pretending And that's why he got eighty one million votes because you know what Joe Biden knew Joe Biden, or what you knew about Joe Biden is this is that if you are a waitress, let's say in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and you're raised a Catholic, and you were a practicing Catholic, and you worked two jobs and your husband worked at the at one of the artifactories down south of there, Okay, and you look at Joe Biden and you see all these ads about transgenderism. Okay. You know what you knew about Joe Biden was he as as confused about it as you are. But you know what he also you knew about Joe Biden is that if he told you that it's not that we are America and we are diverse enough that we can have a that this isn't an issue. The issue is whether or not you're going to be able to send you to school or you know what, if you are a truck driver in Scranton. Okay, you're a team star in Scranton, and you're you're you're a pro life, but you're a Democrat in terms of the principles that you have in terms of workingman and you know, union jobs and everything like that. You know what, you know, Joe Biden's not going to shove his religion down your throat or they're the lack there of it. That's why he got eighty one million votes because he was one of them, and he really was one of them. It wasn't it wasn't made up. He you know this, He is that and they knew that. And that's why he got seven million more votes than anybody that has ever run for president, not because he was purely Barack Obama's vice president, not because people Look, if it was because people hated Trump so much, then what changed in four years? In thirty four felony convictions a you know, the egg Carol case, you know, stealing documents from the you know, classified doct Like people's views didn't change on Trump anymore or less, but he got eighty one million votes because of that. He got eighty one million votes because my dad believed that everybody should have a fair chance. And you know what that meant in terms of everybody, It meant the people that he even disagreed with, and so they were willing to come out to vote for him for that reason. And I don't know what these guys that are all the smart guys in the room are in terms of they're not and never will be the leaders of the Democratic Party. You will be, I believe, or whoever wins the nomination. I'm not saying that you're running and I'm not doing any of this, and I'm not doing any of that, I promise I'm not putting in the position. But I'm saying if you do, when you win, then you come the leader of the Democratic Party, and people fall in line, just just like they fell in line with the message of Joe Biden in twenty twenty and we won by eight million votes. And so that's what I think about. You know, you're not as.
Speaker 1: Panicked about the Democratic Party brand in that context that it starts to resolve itself as we move through midterms and then get to the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know what I mean, I know I'm not because you know what, you know, he's a Democrat. Zoramm Donny. You know who's a Democrat? Grand Platter? You know it's a Democrat. Abigail Stanberger. You know who's a Democrat? You know, I mean, I just can keep going down the list. You know it's a Democrat, AOC. You know it's a Democrat. Bernie Sanders. You know it's a Democrat. Is James tel Rico in Texas. You know who's a Democrat is Harvey Rissa in California. You know, I mean the diversity of the number of people that I just named, but all believe in one thing. Is they believe in the constitutional republic. They believe in the democracy. They believe that people should have a fighting chance. They believe that the billionaire class should not be completely in control of all of the policies that we're making. Now, do I think that we need radical change in leadership once those people get into positions of power. Absolutely, we got to break the cycle of us being beholden to the corporate class in this party. And you and I think that'll happen. But you got to add some of these new voices in there, and I think it'll benefit us all. I have faith that with some truth and reconciliation in twenty twenty eight, or even beginning in twenty twenty six now in November, that we can stem not to stem the tide, but I think that the most incredible changes always occur at the This is always the case throughout history. You need to go through the pain to It's just like recovery. I believe that we all need as a nation be in recovery. And in that recovery, what you realize is that all the pain that you went through is all the power that you have Now. I think the country can do the same thing. I truly do believe that.
Speaker 1: The autopsy, what'd you make of the whole autopsy?
Speaker 2: Well, number one, I think that the criticism of the of the chairman is so unfair. I mean, I think that he's trying to do a job, and I mean he just get ripped, you know, riffed both ways and backwards and forest. You know, I now understand this idea that it is. You know that that it's important to do a you know, an internal review of your process and what happened and how you can do better. But why that has to be a you know, like a public spectacle. I mean, what a bunch of bullshit. What company would ever do that? Like if you're a company, okay, and you had a goal and say, you know what it is, New Coke. Okay, New Coke comes out it was a spectacular failure. Okay, the CEO of Coke didn't it wasn't forced to then go out and say, you know, okay, how did it go so wrong? Well, we're going to go to the market and what we're gonna do is we're gonna late, We're gonna pull down our pants, and we're going to tell you how stupid we were to you know, to brand ourselves New Coke and you know and and kill you know, almost kill this brand. No companies ever expected to do that because it's completely counterproductive to the brand. So all these people calling for like a public lashing, what do they want? You know, it's Gaza, you know, what a bunch of bullshit. It's not just Gaza, it's Israel. No, what a bunch of bullshit. It's not just Israel, you know, it's leadership. It's not what we we as democrats are going to figure it out. But we're only going to figure it out when we find a leader, and we find a leader of the party when we end up going through this primary process, and I think then that that leader is going to be determined upon them and their team of people and the people that they bring along to embolden us with a message that I hope includes action and some real radical plans for uh, for changing things reform. People are angry, and people are angry for good reason.
Speaker 1: And I you know, I love the tonality and you see you've been saying it, and I cannot agree with you more in terms of just you know, we can't pave over the old cow path. Uh, you know, we can't be sort of you know, managed to decline more efficiently or effectively. I think people notably and rightfully are demanding something. And you use the word radically, which is a loaded word, but something dramatic different.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you just.
Speaker 2: You can't say it, but I can. Yeah, you can say with that. And that's the beauty, by the way, that's the completely unfair advantage that I have over you is like, and I really mean this, it's not fair. It's like I can say it because I don't then have to do it. And and but I really I think that I think people are ready for radical in the best sense of the word.
Speaker 3: In the best sense. When's your book coming out? Come on? Tell me you don't you're not thinking about another book?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, No, I am I and I and I've written it and I'm and I'm. What I'm gonna do is I'm going to release it on substack in serial form. And how cool is that? Like once a week or once every few days. And so I wrote two books I want. I basically wrote one book about the like the internal experience, like from from the end of the last book for those like past seven years. And then I wrote another book which is kind of like a like a like a thriller. Unfortunately, the eating characters are like Rudy Giuliani and Steve Bannon, like what was happening in the rooms that I was not in, which is really fascinating and interesting. And I'm going to do that on sub stack and I and and more than anything, this is what I'm doing is that this uh uh uh organization that I'm working with now, Peak Path Health, is there their rehab up in up in the Hollywood Hills and they have about forty beds and the two people the right that that run it in are that the day to day Dustin and Glennis are it was like twenty five years of recovery between them. They've been to many rehabs as I have, and they're just wonderful people and and they do an incredible job. And this idea of a free aftercare in in l A. And there's a there's a I think a property that we this incredible couple may donate to us, and that's what I really want to build. And then the other thing that I'm doing in la Is around rent Is is Boston Universal, which is you probably know BOSTA is a Boston Universal is the largest tenants rights UH, free tense rights UH and homeless prevention group in southern l A. And i'm their development director UH there because I think that there's a real link between people staying in their homes and homelessness and addiction that is not always a straight line one way or another, and so that those are the two things that I'm most focused on.
Speaker 1: I love it so sub Stack, you know, reminds me of one of the few things my inheritance with my father was hardly as wit and witticism.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a few books and your poetry from Yates and he said he did leave me one extraordinary book, which is Pickwick Paper from Dickens. And it was done in pamphlets how they originally published books.
Speaker 3: It was done on a monthly basis, and you would just wait for the next pamphlet. So you're of you know, you're bringing back a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Literally, that's how I got the idea of doing it. And John Irving used to talk about that, you know, the the you know world occurring garb and stuff, because he did this whole thing about how Dickens used to write his books and it would come out in Cereal for him. And you know, there's this thing with substack where like it's kind of really cool, like you're waiting for the next chapter. Whether that's you know, every week, and it's every week. It won't there's too many chapters. Yeah, you got to be the next year. But I'll do it a little bit faster paced, but good. I think it'll be really cool.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: So last question, I mean, just for all the cynics out there, and by the way, I want you and Tapper to you got to if you've got to show up on Candice Owens and you want to be on with Tucker everyone, you and Tamper have to have it out.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to that. Yeah, but that may not happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, may not, may not.
Speaker 3: But what to the cynics out there? And you you you name Chuck Tapper in.
Speaker 1: Terms of just you know your mom's book and you know your dad's coming out with his book later the year. I mean, what do you what do you say? Because I have strong opinions on this, but just in closing, I'd love to hear yours. You know this idea that somehow, once you're once you know, we turned the page on one administration and family, we're supposed to just move on and never hear from them again. This idea that, yes, that they don't have a voice.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you make of that? Why writing books? Why are they never?
Speaker 2: Look? Okay? I is what I said? Is it like, oh, you know what what they were going to do is they were going to go and and and and uh gin up the sneaker factory, the gold sneaker tackery in Vietnam, and that business was taken. So they were going to then go into into crypto, but you know that was a little bit corner. So they decided on gold plated mobile phones. But Dad had a better idea. He thought maybe they could sell Biden branded bibles and that's how they could make a living. All of those things were taken, and so you know what they decided to do. They decided to do with every first lady and president in modern history has done. They both decided to write a book. One has to come out before the other, and so Mom went first. And you know who did that also, Michelle and Barack Obama. You know else did that? Hillary and Bill Clinton, George Bush and the First Lady and Georgia Kerbet Walker Bush, I mean, and Barbara Bush and Ronald Reagan and Nancy and I mean, like what are we talking about here? I mean it's like, like, oh, he should should What are they supposed to do other than that? By the way, and I'm really proud of that, you know why. You know what, you know my dad didn't do. He didn't go and joined the board of sixteen different corporations. My dad decided what he was going to do is he's going to stay true to himself like he'd always done. He had never made a penny off of his off of being a public servant, other than the salary that he got when he became. When he left the vice presidency, he wrote a book and he had money for the first time in his life. And he bought my mom a little house in Rehobe's Beach, Delaware. That's what he did with it. And now you know what, he's back at his house, the same house that he's been in for thirty years in Wilmington, Delaware, with my mom and he's writing his book. And that's how they are paying the bills and like, and it's great and for them, it's great. But what do they want him to do? What did they think that he should do? Go join the board of Carlisle. Now I'm not, you know, you know, start a you know, a multinational you know, think tank organization and fly around the globe, you know, I mean, like, my dad is my dad. He's in Delaware. He's writing a book about the most his history, incredible journey from a kid from Scranton, Pennsylvania, that had a stutter, whose dad was a car salesman, that became the president of the United States. And I'll tell you what the thing about my dad is this, I think that he is unique, unique as president for just one reason is that I don't know of any president and that I've read about in history that in order to take that job. And this is not a criticism, it is just it's a fact, is that there has to be some level of narcissism and you have to have a you have to have an outsized ego to be able to balance that with the level of empathy that my dad had I found was almost unique. And I'm so proud of him. I'm so proud of him. I'm so proud of my mom. You know, it's not been easy. Cancer is not easy. You know, the way that we left was not easy, and and my dad grieves every day for the loss of the opportunity to save this country from what it has to go through right now. And you don't think that we care as a family more than anybody, more than anybody about this. We have given not by choice, but by choice in my respect, not because of anything that I have earned, but this family has given our lives, our whole lives to this. Whatever you think about us, given our my dad has given his whole adult life to this, not for personal gain, not to become a billionaire, not to even become a millionaire, not to make more than the salary that he was paid. Given his whole life to this. I give it up, my life for it. You all of it. They took all of it. And here we are. And you know what, I'm not stepping off the stage for fucking anybody, because more than anything, I want to make my dad proud.
Speaker 1: Well, Hunter and I you know this, and I'll just add my voice. You know, you know how proud he is of you, brother, and and uh and I'm I'm proud to have had this opportunity to share all this with you and to have this conversation, really share this time with you, and uh and.
Speaker 3: I'm really just I'm so I'm so pleased that you're so.
Speaker 1: Willing to be so open and and and and talk so authentically authentically about your journey and how it attaches I imagine to how so many other people are struggling and feeling and and uh and thanks for being so raw and thanks for being here.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, one thing is you know you've heard that say a million times, is I'll come campaign for you or against you, whatever it helps most, and you know, at my stomach, yeah, and he would say it and you'd be like, you know, it was it was silly because of course you'd want him to come out. In my case, it is for real