Speaker 1: Guess what.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everybody.
Speaker 3: Miles that Jack Got Mad Boosties has returned for Day two of NBA Con and Las Vegas Summer League.
Speaker 2: We were very blessed.
Speaker 4: I think we can just call it the Con. Yeah, I don't think it needs it's only what Oh yeah, yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 3: NBA Con and we're catching up with ESPN's Cassidy Hubbard to talk about Summer League and.
Speaker 2: About the phenomenal podcast Hoops Paradise. If you don't know I Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: On iHeartRadio talking about the Philippines love of the game and also currently sideline recording here from Summer League. We'll talk all about that, but first let me introduce myself. I'm Miles Great and I'm Jack O'Brien and this is Got Mad Boes.
Speaker 5: You do need to.
Speaker 4: Sing loud because there's a little music in the background.
Speaker 1: It's all right.
Speaker 2: I think people would rather hear us sing. Yeah, yeah, we can do some offkeever DJ. Yeah yeah, I will put with him.
Speaker 3: I'm an only child, so I will try and outscream and amplify the show.
Speaker 5: I want to yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm a podcaster. You are raising a podcaster.
Speaker 3: Cassidy Hubbard, thank you so much for joining us here. Uh, we're here in Vegas. The energy isantiable.
Speaker 2: It was crazy last night.
Speaker 4: So we're recording this the day after Wembing Yama's debut. Yeah, and uh it was exciting that like you could actually hear people's like energy, like when he walked in, like walked onto the court for the first time, just when he would like put a shot up in warm up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people were like it was like the second he.
Speaker 3: Wind up, oh oh, and then just silence too. It was really interesting like how people were like, I don't know, I think maybe so overcome by the expectation of what they wanted to see that I feel like barely anybody was cheered.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the energy was definitely big last night for the first half. Yeah yeah, and leading into it, and the the energy even leading into the game. Uh, you know, Thompson Mac was filled even for that great Uh Rockets Blazers lost Scoot and the men got hurt. But uh that was a perfect setup as like Wemby was hanging in the you know hallway where he was like everyone had their phones out and he could see over all of them. He was like hanging up the ceiling. I don't know where you guys were seated, but like that, so maybe you saw it, you were.
Speaker 4: Actually just trying to get a vantage point. That was similar to.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fair point, fair point, but like just him watching that game, everyone watching him and the game, that energy was was insane. And then also like there's that there's that area called the pit, which is behind like by the entrance and kind of behind where the media seating is, and that is a really really electric place because it's where a lot of the gms and coaches and reporters kind of like network in the Summer League, because that's kind of what this whole vibe is out here, especially for people in and around the league is is networking, feeling optimistic about the new year. Usually like you're able to kind of bob and weave through. There's like pathways. I had the hardest time getting to my seats because people were shoulder and to shoulder, and that has never happened, not for this ion debut, which I also did not even for you know, I don't know if you guys remember how big Lonzo staying here in Summer League was. That for me was like the first time where Summer League just felt like a big event. I will say like the way the crowd was reacting to Wemby felt similar to the way the crowd was reacting to Zion, but Zion put on more of a show yea fed to the crowd and his free game dunks. I think just people were like were more curious. We had seen what Zion you know, did in collegege We've been talking about Wembin Yama for like a long time, mostly for NBA people. For the last year. People were just curious, like they've heard so much. They sure you watched some you know, French League games, but like they wanted to see what he was about himself. And I don't know if he knew what he was about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he was trying to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot. I feel like there's just a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: There was a lot like you could see a little bit of frustration, but like that's that's gonna happen, Like that's perfectly healthy and natural, and like that is what every NBA player has to be able to do, is like that all right, now things have started. Now you have to be able to put up with a little bit of frustration. When the game is just like not going exactly as you pictured it in your head, you know.
Speaker 5: And it's interesting because he mentioned, you know, in the pre draft interviews, he said to like Urmilie Andrews, I don't feel pressure. I've never even felt pressure, even in school, anything I've done, I've never felt pressure.
Speaker 2: I'm just good at it.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 2: Like that's why I identify with him, you know.
Speaker 4: It's just like, yeah, everything's so easy.
Speaker 5: Boom comes to Las Vegas, you know, gets his first real scandal into you know, obviously everyone wanting to talk to him, into his first debut. I think into you know, playing with these guys really for the first time, trying to figure out the principles of not just the NBA but Spurs basketball. That's something he told me. He's like, I'm still learning the principles you mentioned last night. He goes, I didn't really know what I was doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mentioned that because I mean, look at those stats, you only have five blocks.
Speaker 2: I don't know you were.
Speaker 4: Disappointed by, but I'm expecting fifteen.
Speaker 2: A couple of those blocks.
Speaker 4: By the way, where with his armpit, like he was so like he's just so things and like easily block them like, so I would say my big takeaways as an NBA fans. First of all, I think a lot of people had never seen him miss a shot because every like the version everyone was getting was just yeah, but he like watching him move on the court like he knows where to be. It's just he probably needs to, like, you know, pick up the tempo a little bit more of like what you know, how everybody's moving and stuff like that. But defensively, it's it is He's going to be a game changer. Like you can just see it right away, like that nobody wanted to attempt a shot in the quadrant of the court that he was on, not even like challenge him, but like he was just affecting shots everywhere.
Speaker 3: Even his version of like the Cornet contest, like he felt dangerous, like when he was like I'll just go up and like he might block.
Speaker 2: The Cornet contest.
Speaker 4: Is the move where you jump up when you're in the paint and someone shooting three that we saw Luke Cornett do with the Celtics this year.
Speaker 5: He didn't get dunked on, though, yeah he.
Speaker 4: Did get dunked on, but I will say he was also like doing the thing that Yiannis did in that highlight in the finals. He was guarding the person who threw the alley oop and then like very nearly blocked.
Speaker 7: The didn't tell the full Yeah, tell the full story for sure, Cassidy famously, you know what you're talking about when it comes to basketball.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: So we're idiots, so we we should open everything usually we do. We just got so excited about the webaa thing. We're kind of idiots.
Speaker 2: Uh yea.
Speaker 3: So now I saw those stats, like you said, I said, he only have five rebounds. This guy's a bust. Can you explain to me? And the other fans were very worried why we are completely wrong and off base.
Speaker 5: It's one summer league game.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 5: But look, that's the nature of summer league. That's also part of the fun. That's also the reason why there's an NBA con right now in Las Vegas, because of the success and interest level in summer league. Because NBA fans love talking about the NBA and like controversy and you know, debating, and so you're fine to live in that world if it makes you happy. You know, over here in reality, he's a very unique player. Like what you guys are saying, from my vantage point, defensively is going to be a problem. Offensively, there is a problem right now that I think is fixable. They just got to learn how to play with him spacing with a seven to five guard. How do you figure that out? So I think that was definitely on display last night, like give him time, give him some time under pop. He's already having dinners with Tim Duncan and you know, David Robinson sharing Tony Parker. Like he said himself, I mean, I have the best role models you could possibly ask for. And so will there be a lot of pressure on him? Yes? Uh so, you know, and as he does, is he deserving of it? People who are more in the no more more experts in you know, watching his development, say he absolutely is. So I'm going to trust that and trust the process and we'll see how it plays out. When he actually is focused.
Speaker 3: On you know, people are asking like, you know, how did you feel about your debut? And he said the thing is like, I'm honestly, I felt like I didn't know what I was doing out there. That kind of to me demonstrates his mentality that he's not so attached to it he's and he's transparent enough to be like, yeah, you know, the what you saw was me just I met these guys.
Speaker 2: Figure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very authentic. He's you know, like even I mean, I know we're past this Britney Spear situation, but I was there on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 4: Heard you pushed her into Is that true?
Speaker 5: But just like you know, even in having like hearing him kind of address that, he just plainly you know, said what he knew and what happened. He could have had a prepared statement because but I just saw like an authenticity of like, yeah, I didn't know, like I found something.
Speaker 4: I started got my people on doing some big pr spin campaign about like how she was coming for.
Speaker 2: Him or something. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yah, he was just like I don't know, it was a weird thing. They're very crowded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's and they told me to just keep walking because if we stop, it'll be a bottle neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes makes total sense, makes total sense.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be interesting to see just like how he takes on the pressure that he says he's never felt in his life and how that materializes, you know, throughout the NBA season, because it will be there constantly, especially given that you know, he already has eyeballs on him in Las Vegas Summer League, and that's an indicator that, like people like ESPN, we're gonna want to put him on national TV. You're already grabbing attention during the summer. So yes, it's gonna be all right, It's gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: That's not your fault, very niche, I'm a highly reactionary Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, what we've seen more games out of Brandon Miller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks great, he looked he unlimited, and he didn't he didn't.
Speaker 5: Commit a foul last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: I think he did look good last night. I think he wanted to prove a point. Scooter Henderson looked really good.
Speaker 2: I really really good.
Speaker 5: Really hope that his shoulder injury is not too serious and they won't shut him down because I just had a feeling like he, you know, he felt like he should have been the number one pick. Obviously, women Yama was always going to be the number one pick, but the question of you know, who should have went to should Charlotte taken Scoot regardless of you know, the fact that him and LaMelo played the same position. I think that's going to be a conversation that happens throughout the sea. Yeah. But but Scoot was electric, like he had that arena justice hyped. I thought that as as Webinama, we.
Speaker 3: Had the misfortune of showing up right after he got pulled in. Oh yeah, yeah if he got his thirteen points. But after watching everything, like yeah, the replays and stuff, it was I definitely I wish we had left a little bit sooner to get there, but yeah, it was what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looked awesome.
Speaker 5: And so the Jabariswit Junior and like, I love that he's playing in Summer League. Yeah, and his answer was like did you see our record last year?
Speaker 3: Why sixteen games and I'm twenty years old would play?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got there just in time for the Jabs Junior show the show Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then and then the you know game winner at the end, like that was like that's that's peak Summer League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it.
Speaker 5: Feels like arch badness. And then they turned around like it was awesome. And then tonight I have like the Pacers and and the Wizards. Ben Maxmins expected to play when I could have won six Man of the Year so I'm loving these second year guys, you know, wanting to come out here just get some running. Why not, you know, like you're you're still young. Just because you got you know, meaningful minutes doesn't mean that like playing summer League. You know braces that right, right.
Speaker 1: Right right? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just one more thing on Wemby on the offensive end, because another smart NBA person, my good friend Robert Ory, once said to us about.
Speaker 2: He was on the show and now we're best friends.
Speaker 5: Should he let you have one of his rings?
Speaker 2: He offered it to me, but I thought I thought it was to tell you to get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Yesterday he tried to yourself, tried to hug him ye off like Jack okay, but he was talking about with with regards to actually Luca.
Speaker 2: He was saying that Luca is Luca. He just got engaged. Yes.
Speaker 4: Uh is like too slow sometimes for defenders to like know what he's doing. Like he's so methodical and like his movement on the court, like it feels like, wait, how is this working? Because he's like actually a step slower, but that is like throwing the defense off and he knows exactly what to do with that step, And I feel like with wem bing Yama on offense, and I can't like put it towards exactly what it was, but there was something with like pace and like him maybe trying to like rush it a little too much, and like there's going to be something he figures out with regards to like how to use his not not necessarily slowness, but you know his like being methodical, and you know he has great footwork for a big guy, and I.
Speaker 2: Think there's gonna be something there.
Speaker 4: And I I think like when he puts it together, it's going to be interesting and it's not going to look like another any other NBA though what you mean, it's sort of like trying to hit an off speed pitch where it's like not necessarily coming at you the fastest, but you're as you try to predict where it's going.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult.
Speaker 3: And I think with like you said, because it's amazing how far the ball just travels, like within his wingspan that most people would begin to be, you know, shifting their weight.
Speaker 4: At one point he crossed over, and like the whole defense had to shift because when he crosses over, the ball goes from one side of the court to the other.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think watching him is going to be a similar experience for fans is watching Nikola Jokic, like truly trying to understand like how he impacts the game and whatever his magic is going to be at his size. Yeah, so that's a pretty good bar.
Speaker 2: Was really good last night. Yeah, Like he dropped some.
Speaker 5: Guns you know, Brandon Miller a couple of times on d as well. Look, it wasn't going to.
Speaker 6: Ever be like, you know, space Ja, you wanted to dug from Halffort exactly.
Speaker 5: That's that's what all these fans like you like, why did any dug from?
Speaker 3: My only concept of basketball comes from space Jam And I'm like, where are the mon Stars basketball? He's ever watched until last night, and I was kind of freaked out. I was like, those guys, I don't see any mon Stars out there. Since we are at NBA Fan Con, I kind of want to ask you about your fandom because we're always curious about this with people who cover basketball.
Speaker 2: Are you do you have a team? Are you a fan?
Speaker 3: Or because of your professionalism and being around the game so much, you've transcended fandom and you're purely across the board enjoyer of the game.
Speaker 5: So I grew up in Chicago, Okay, during the Jordan here, So I did love Clyde.
Speaker 2: Drexler, I really did.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it just that that was basically a big part of like how I'm in this business and you know, my love for sports and specifically the NBA. Am I a Bulls fan? Now? Yes, I pay attention to them, but not as like, not as much as I did growing up because I have to pay attention to the entire league. And on top of that, Bulls, the Bulls are not on national TV as as they used to be. So yes, where's my fandom. My fandom is for the NBA. And I think that's kind of at the heart of, you know, my passion for my job is that I try to lean in to that passion of loving the NBA and being interested in the personalities of not just the players, but the leagues and and the teams and you know, the drama and the transactions and all the different milestones in a in an MBA season and the energy around each days in the calendar that kind of like get you excited for whatever is coming up next. So yes, in a long, long winded answer, my biggest team is the NBA, right, right, right.
Speaker 3: But I think even right so for this season too and Wemby we're starting, We're always reminded of like international appeal of the game. And for you, you said, I've heard that you had the Bulls fanom reinforced in the States, and also when you go to the Philippines too, like where there is there was there a huge contingent of Bulls fans in the Philippines or what I mean.
Speaker 5: I haven't been to the Philippines since I was in college, but like you know, the Philippines that just have massive love for the NBA. They love the Warriors and Lakers. Those are the two big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, because so many Filipinos end up coming to the West Coast, so it is sort of like yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I know.
Speaker 5: There were a lot of Filipinos there, yeah, yeah, which was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: To all of our internationalists.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you talk about you're hungry?
Speaker 3: You said, you know how to say that to go okay, trying to help you forget what Mike is cut down.
Speaker 4: You talk about Hoops Paradise, because that's a show where you and Nico, uh, you know, talked about how the special connection between the Philippines and the NBA, and you had a great like episode five, you had a great conversation with Raymond Townsend, the first Philippino player, also caught up with Spoe Uh and yeah, can you just talk about like what what the journey was like on that show.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was awesome. It was like hanging out with not just Nico, who is you know, my brother from another mother, but you know, Peter and Grace working on that. To our producer, yeahs from the Philippines.
Speaker 4: We've been up here for two days recording. This is the first time Peter has clapped.
Speaker 5: Because that is exactly what I did.
Speaker 2: And that's the only shut out. Steve the God, Yeah, you know, we got them all.
Speaker 5: No, but it was it was It was actually a beautiful journey for me personally. It helped me reconnect with my heritage and also you know, being able to kind of learn just more about the passion I experienced it when I'm at games and you know, I have a lot of Filipino fans reach out to me, like, you know, we we love the NBA. It's great to see a Filipino you know, cover the NBA and on the sidelines and that like that means everything to me, and working on this podcast, it was kind of like Nego was educating me along with the viewers how deep the passion is in the Philippines and being able to speak with Spoe. This was before obviously the playoff run. You know, he kind of has a similar experience. We were both actually born in the same town, yes, and we both are mixed with you know, kind of the same descent. His mom is Filipino just like mine, and his dad is of European descent, so we're like, are we brother and sisters? But he he was just he was awesome. And he's obviously going to the Philippines this summer, and he said that listening to Hoops Paradise, he told me this, Uh, during the playoff runs, He's going to do that on his way to the Philippines. So held them to it. I saw him yesterday, but I'm gonna hold him to it when he gets.
Speaker 2: Back that you subscribed. Yes, yeah, the big thing.
Speaker 5: A few Filipino flags and then we got fire.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I thought you're going to say he listened to the show and it inspired their playoff run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, let's take that. And then so you said. Eric Sposter credits the podcast for.
Speaker 5: Their Deep Who Paradise for the power to the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: The power of these podcasts. I gotta tell you. All right, well, I think it's time. Now, it's time. Yes, Cassidy, what is your time to show? You're on Miles and Jack.
Speaker 3: Got mad Boosti's and we have a segment called the Rapid Fire Round of Questions. Now we're going to ask you some questions. Just give us your take, just fire it right back. Just give us a quick, succinct answer. If we start talking on and on. We need you to just help guide the segment because you're a professional and we.
Speaker 2: Are am I, as you mentioned, idiots. Yeah, yeah, we don't quite know what we're doing.
Speaker 3: And we like to keep the title that this is the fastest question and answer segment in all sports podcasts.
Speaker 2: So please, we're counting on you. Okay, let it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 1: Jack. You want to go?
Speaker 2: All right? You went first last time. Yeah, why don't you think I'm gonna go first? Uh, here we go. We're talking teams that we want to cover in the off season.
Speaker 3: Now, the Spurs are obviously a shoe And what's a team you're expecting big things from. We talked about you know obviously, ok see Orlando, Phoenix, Portland.
Speaker 2: Who else you want to throw in the Knicks and why.
Speaker 5: Lakers? Okay, yeah, you know they made some interesting moves. I mean they're in the Western Conference finals. Like they brought back pretty much, you know, all the main characters and then added gave Vincent. So, uh, they're always going to be interesting because what what does Lebron have left in the tank? Yeah, I think the Bucks they made great moves as well. They were you know, they were the favorites. Gianness is posting all over social media like I'm focused, I'm gonna come back, So I would say I'm interested in the Bucks in the East, and I guess the Lakers in the West.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that Lakers don't get enough attention on on this podcast, in particular from the Lakers though, and just generally media talked.
Speaker 5: About they should talk more about that guy, Lebron James.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Us as I wear shirt.
Speaker 4: All right, we're in the middle of NBA Con. They are like little like games all over the place. There's a twenty foot hoop over there that I dunked on earlier. There's a freak dunked on the twenty foot hoop.
Speaker 2: No big deal. There's like a half court shot contest over there. Can you pitch me an NBA con feature.
Speaker 4: It doesn't have to cohere to the laws of physics or reality. Our super producer Brian was saying he wants to be able to like feel what it's like to dunk, like somehow, maybe with like crouching tiger, hidden dragon wires. I'd like something that allows me to walk around in the world and feel like I'm the size of Victor Webbing, Like if they just like created a mini miniature room.
Speaker 3: Specifically co shrunken down to my scale, so my six foot one frame feels like it's six ' eight and the balls is a little bit small.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that feel like, that's my that's my wiss.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, I was thinking about like a bouncy house type of basketball situation, but I feel like that's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I keep seeing videos of Drake's concert and his hologram that he has, like that he sits next to on a couch. Yeah, it would be cool to do like holograms of like legends and that type of visual yeah, yeah, yeah, or it could be weird too, but uh, I think it could be fun. I don't know, I got I have to do another couple of like laps and see if I inspiration.
Speaker 2: Inspiration.
Speaker 3: I would love holograms too, just a made up handel of just everybody and you.
Speaker 5: Could just like pretend like you're hanging out with for you, like create like a table of like you're out to dinner, Like look at the party I was at in Vegas. Put like a carbone background right on the broad you know, hool everyone.
Speaker 2: Here's my next question.
Speaker 3: Ever, somebody who you know travels the league and and knows that the team's pretty well, what's the best NBA city to catch a game in and what's your favorite thing to eat in that city?
Speaker 5: Okay, it's hard for me because I base everything on where my seat is and how easy it is for me to do my job in terms.
Speaker 8: Of NBA city because the first thing is like obviously I would say MSG, but I also hate doing games and MSG because my seat is so uncomfortable there.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Okay, like we have like a little.
Speaker 5: This is gonna and I'm not going to go into me complaining about my seat. I'm like, there's no desk and there, you know, so I'm balancing like my laptop and my own.
Speaker 2: In the seat. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: And I'm in the crowd, and so people are always like reaching down on my computers.
Speaker 2: And like so do you pass me that right there?
Speaker 5: But that's also with you know, the the jazz Arena used to be I would have to walk up into the stands and like go, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me. Every time I was like go down to a uh do a play coaches interview. So those two places I don't love doing games.
Speaker 2: But the cities.
Speaker 5: But the city, the city is like solid city, did an amazing job. We're an all star. And New York is New York. Man from New York. Yeah, so all right, best meal in New York? Sure, that's really hard.
Speaker 2: You know you're not.
Speaker 3: You don't have to tell me, like unequivocally this is the best thing. But for you, what is your go to?
Speaker 5: I mean there's so many there's so many in New York.
Speaker 2: I've never been to New York. What's good to eat? You take me somewhere.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think you can go wrong with like, there's so m many good Italian spots in New York in.
Speaker 2: New York.
Speaker 5: Heard that. I'm gonna leave it at that. I can't find a good Chinese place and I can't find a Mexican for some reason. But I think that's a me problem, not an n y C problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: And finally the question everybody's here to hear you answer Jack, which is me or Miles?
Speaker 5: Just I'm just picking between you. Yeah, I have more history with Jack.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is answer. I just thought that was kind of like I thought you were sorry. That's how to answer. That's just already seen how graceless I am.
Speaker 5: In wait, are we talking about like this is my you know, partner for two on two? Like are we talking about? What is this?
Speaker 2: It's just it's.
Speaker 5: But you also get points because you just you busted out the yeah. But are you Filipino?
Speaker 3: No, I'm black and the but I oh yeah, that's what happened.
Speaker 2: I can get you.
Speaker 5: Really could, you know? And that's what Filipinos do. We just go up the round a Filipino.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know Filipino. Yeah, but I love funseet so you know, let's go all right.
Speaker 5: So so now it's one to one. I don't know what's going to be the tie breaker.
Speaker 4: Dang dunked on that twenty foot hoop earlier. If we're doing the.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about basketball, Okay.
Speaker 5: Who's your favorite team? Who's your favorite team? I think I gotta go with him a lot this year? Okay, and so I've been on kind of like a Sixers beat. So that's how I that was that.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good answer. I can live with that.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for joining us on Miles and Jack got Matt book. One of guys, Uh, where where can people find you? Follow you, see you, hear you, all that good stuff.
Speaker 5: I'll be on the sidelines next two nights or Soundaturday and Sunday, depending on when you listen to this, and then I'm.
Speaker 2: Out catch me on the beach.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'll see it in the fall on the sideline. That also, don't forget to download, subscribe, comment and yeah yeah yeah to wait wherever you find your podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me, Thanks for doing well.
Speaker 3: This wraps it up for this edition of Mad Boosty's Live from NBA Con in Vegas. Check us out on hatchback mad boostis b w SD I E s uh and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 3: Well, well, well people, welcome back to NBA CON Miles and Jackot, Matt Lucy. We are here for a very very special discussion. We have probably the most iconic guests we have ever had on this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it most doesn't seem like we should be sitting next to this person.
Speaker 3: Instant the classes on the podcast by having this man even sit next to us and entertain our questions that sometimes border on not the most intelligent, But we are here to have some very intelligent discussion with Hall of Famer Spencer Hayley.
Speaker 2: What is going on? Spencer? Thank you so much for jurning.
Speaker 9: This is just incredible and what two guys are doing with your podcast and NBA CON. I am so I floored by everything and I was put together in a short period of time. And also last night for an example, I mean it was insane. Yeah, Thomas and Mat Yeah, yeah, yeah, we wanted to talk a little bit to you about that.
Speaker 3: Like Summer League is going on, this is obviously some big moments for people entering the league. You yourself, I mean, we're going to get into that of a very storied entry into the league and things like that. But you know, what do you think? You know, what is this like for these guys that are showing up here and they're sort of on the precipice of entering the league, Like.
Speaker 9: What you know, it's a great opportunity. Really, I mean, you've got players like Garcia. Last night, I didn't know who he was, and I'm watching him from Golden State. I'm well, somebody, if Golden State don't sign him, I would go after him because he's he's he's game ready and he's been playing in Brazil for I guess four.
Speaker 1: Years or five years. Yeah, he's just it was so special. That was one of the guys I was watching, And I watched Winby.
Speaker 9: And the other kid from Alabama, Brilla. So I was just watching the players, and then I was watching guys who were not in the spotlight, but yet they are going to be in the spotlight because they are going to make some themes. So I sat up there last night in my home watching games. Oh night, I'm like, well.
Speaker 1: I had the lacaphone. Yeah, exactly, pretty that one all.
Speaker 9: But he's just so exciting for the city, for the city of Las Vegas, and for the fans to be here on the weekend to be a part of this, this is just an awesome time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There was one moment during the Blazers game where watching scoop and you know, Jabari Smith Junior, and.
Speaker 2: Then this guy gets out there. He's lovely, a little smaller.
Speaker 4: He starts like banging threes, like fading away out of bounds, like hitting threes, and I was like, that kind of looks familiar. It was Antoine Davis who like came three points shy and breaking Pete Marravitch's.
Speaker 2: Where he went to school, Detroit Mercy. Hello, Yeah, that's right there, it is.
Speaker 9: And everybody is talking, well, you know he's too small, he don't.
Speaker 2: Have the body he is he can fill it up and then.
Speaker 1: You fill it up.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and the guy like that, he's making this worth right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then if you know, if you miss out on the NBA.
Speaker 9: You can go to the t LEG, you can go to Europe, you can go to China. Well, I mean if you go to China, you might be stuck for the contract and they won't let you come back right yeah, right away.
Speaker 2: But I mean, yeah, so you have a.
Speaker 4: You had a pretty unique rookie season in the one Rookie of the Year and MVP of the a BA.
Speaker 1: And MVP at the All Star Game. Sprink.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you know, so these people won't be thinking, oh, yeah average ten and ten, No I average thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. Yeah, And I was nineteen years old.
Speaker 9: So all of these young guys who are like, oh my gosh, he's gonna mature when you get to be twenty five. He was like, Man, I had played and they went to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: I've done it.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a huge thing to talk about, right, because a lot of people don't realize how you are a seminal figure in the league that we have today that without just just for people who don't know, kind of describe the situation, because we would not have people like Kevin Barnett, Kobe Bryant, other people being able.
Speaker 1: Michael Michael Geordan. Yeah, fo years after he walk me through that process.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when I was in the ABA, after that first year I jumped to the NBA. The NBA said that I was inelgible to play because I had in phinished four years of college and you had to have.
Speaker 1: Four years out of basketball. I mean four years after your high school titles, right.
Speaker 9: I graduated before you could go into the NBA, And so I sued them for the rights to play, and we had like my.
Speaker 1: Case started off like ball, kay, I have a ten day, a ten game in junson against me.
Speaker 9: So I had to sit home with Rick Wells, you know with the Golden State Boys.
Speaker 1: Uh, he was the general manager of there. He was our ball boy. And see he was our ball boy. And Lenny Wilks was the player coach. He played in coach Tom Tom.
Speaker 9: Serry, it was the associate coach. And our assistant coach was Rod Thorne, who was a player coach.
Speaker 1: For these guys. We had no one on that team had on a suit. Everybody had on a.
Speaker 2: Everyone's wearing by the way, I think coaches should still have to wear the uniform. Don't you think that would be amazing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like if the managers weren't there, some.
Speaker 1: Of the outfits they're wearing today.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a lot of warm ups now.
Speaker 1: Anyways, right, yeah, yeah, put on the suit or something. Yeah.
Speaker 9: But so they would get a ten game in junction against me, and then I would get a.
Speaker 1: Ten game.
Speaker 9: Stayed to play, and when I would walk out on the floor, they would say, ladies and gentlemen, we have an illegal player on the floor, number twenty four.
Speaker 1: This game is being played on the protests.
Speaker 2: All right, wait, do you opposing to you? Like when you were playing an away game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that away game. Okay.
Speaker 9: One particular night I was playing in Chicago against the Chicago Bulls. Chat Walker said he heard his ankle while I was warming up, and they sued me for six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What that was?
Speaker 1: The battle?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: The battle? So you I go through all of this stuff, and I go through.
Speaker 9: The lower courts all the way to the district and we got to the Supreme Court where Thirdod Marshall's justice.
Speaker 1: I think it's Warren.
Speaker 9: Douglas or somebody who else was the head justice at that time. On March first, nineteen seventy one, said we cannot stop this young man from playing basketball in the NBA because we are allowing our players, our our young men to go to war in Vietnam places like that at age eighteen, and yet we're acting him to stay in college. And at the same time, my family was dirt poor in Silver City, Mississippi making two.
Speaker 1: Dollars a day. So I was like trying to get my folks out of that.
Speaker 2: And I didn't have a small family either, right, No, I.
Speaker 1: Was ten of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, so it makes it really important.
Speaker 9: Yes, just so then they hand down that decision, and that's what changed the NBA game as we know it because from that point on the NBA we only had sixteen teams, I think, and right away, because of this ruling, the NBA were able to say, oh, we can go get Bob McAdoo, we can go get all.
Speaker 1: Of these players college.
Speaker 9: Early they would come into the NBA and we can expand Yeah, and that's how the expansion came about through this one.
Speaker 1: Little old dude, Yeah, from Silvil, Mississippi.
Speaker 9: And it ain't no silver, it ain't no city.
Speaker 4: Do you think the Chief Justice, like there's probably some legal reasoning, but do you think he was just a fan of your game and wanted to see you get out there and put the ball in the hoop.
Speaker 1: And that's why No.
Speaker 9: They were going, yeah, got to see it.
Speaker 1: I gotta see it, know.
Speaker 5: That A one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I don't know if they're good. We'll see what we'll see what he can do on his side.
Speaker 9: They're doing the movie of my life, So I can't incorporate that. Yeah, incorporate that. Then third good Marshall said, I gotta go see this guy.
Speaker 10: He's turn around just like shot and he can rebounds. I want to see him play. Yeah, this case is exactly now let's go watch him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: But from this case, you know, it is estimated that in players revenue and players salary it has been somewhere around six dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of money made you.
Speaker 3: Think you think they have no for the domino effect, right, because like that's why I say, like you not only like when you think about it.
Speaker 1: From nineteen seventy one until now, right, and you.
Speaker 2: Think about all the people that have been able to enter the league early.
Speaker 3: And you know, famously we talked about Lebron James, right, what would that what's that scoring title look like?
Speaker 2: He doesn't?
Speaker 1: He would be eight hundred.
Speaker 9: He would be eight thousand, three hundred and forty one points short of Kareem.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you did that man did the matcham so?
Speaker 2: And what did he tell you? Is he's any hard feelings?
Speaker 1: No, he's creamus.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 9: Remember when I was going through this case the Players Association Union, they didn't support me. So when I won the case, it was still a little difficulty. So when we got to Milwaukee to play the Bucks, and normally they would take their team downstairs and say, well let him sweat it out of there, let people hit it with real bottle.
Speaker 1: Us and Kareem didn't go downstairs. He stayed up.
Speaker 9: So we've been Buddy's Yeah, nineteen seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure he teases you though probably Yeah, he's like, why did.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but all these young guys come in earlier?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's so important too, Like when we have the opportunity to sit down with you. For us, it's like, you don't have the league as it is today without your trials and tribulations and the work that the foundation that you laid the groundwork for. And it's nice to see people like you know, I always see people like Kevin Garnett during that man he's very consistent with giving you your flowers and pointing to the like the work that you've done, how you know, like and he talks about sort of like this generational wisdom in the game, like do you see that evolving or do you just like, what's the importance of you know, people like you or people who have experienced the league and know the ins and outs of things and being able to transmit that knowledge down to these guys were entering the league, especially in a time like this where something else.
Speaker 9: That is one of the things that all of us old hits talk about, we need to be around the young guys to just impart this information and they understanding so that they can appreciate the game.
Speaker 1: Like Okay, for.
Speaker 9: An example, Yeah, I was talking.
Speaker 1: With one of the handlers for a job.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and we were talking and he said, you know, maybe if John knew that you went to the Supreme Court, that you had to struggle through all of this to get where.
Speaker 1: He is today.
Speaker 9: And I used that experience as he wouldn't take the NBA for granted.
Speaker 3: Sure, And what are some other like what are some things like pieces of wisdom that you would pass down to like, you know, a rookie coming in and say, hey, Spencer, you know, drop some science on me, Well it's something I need to know.
Speaker 9: Well, I would drop this the knowledge on them, saying stating that you know, back in the day before I got my contract, Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell arguer and over who was going to be the highest paid.
Speaker 1: Player in the NBA.
Speaker 9: And the salary was one twenty five hundred and twenty five thousand per.
Speaker 1: Year, not for theamn right who was getting twelve dollars per data.
Speaker 9: But anyway, and read Arbac said, well, you know, I'm gonna make you the highest paid player Bill Rossell.
Speaker 1: He reached in his pocket and gave me one dollar more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. That'll do it.
Speaker 1: That's history.
Speaker 9: So Bill Rosser said, hey, I'm the highest paide player, I'm the best player.
Speaker 1: I'm in. I'm in. Let's go, right, And so those kind of.
Speaker 9: Stories and just annoying the history of the game, a knowing the beauty of this game, how far this has grown. I mean, you got guys who are making two sixty two hundred sixty million, all of this stuff here and like, So when I was staying with Lebron, I was telling him, I.
Speaker 1: Said, hey, you know you owe me.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I don't want them to get nervous about that percentage.
Speaker 3: I explaining I did the math.
Speaker 9: So I was explaining that you know, you know you're making like fifty million a year, you will be two hundred million dollars short.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, you got four extra years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 4: Things to think about Lebron as a listener, So yeah, for you to think about he did he.
Speaker 1: Did a special for me on.
Speaker 9: Showtime, Yeah, called the what is it called?
Speaker 1: I can't think of the name of it right now. That's the problem with getting old.
Speaker 2: I've already got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's called.
Speaker 9: The the Case Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Showtime.
Speaker 9: But he did a nice, wonderful special about the rule is what it's called the Ryan right right, And so a lot of players are beginning to learn about what I've done and who I am. Yeah, and it's a wonderful times the basketball. Yeah, just looking around and here what what you guys are doing, and look at what you're doing with your podcast.
Speaker 2: It's just you. Oh, we wouldn't have to show also without you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I know that. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I started recording straight out of high school, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They used to say you couldn't you know. Yeah, yeah, they say a couple of years in junior high.
Speaker 4: On the court, on the court, you went against some of the best.
Speaker 2: You are one of the best.
Speaker 4: What are you What are your thoughts on this current the current state of the big man in the NBA, Because I mean, we got mb and I'm a six Ers fan, we got indeed, we got Jokic. You know, we've got some unconventional big men like Giannis. But you know eight six to eight years ago everyone was like small balls, A few ture big men are over.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on big w be over?
Speaker 9: Because you have to play the game. You have to play it inside and out, not outside.
Speaker 1: And then unless the golden state, right, that's right.
Speaker 9: But I look at a guy like Boogie Cousins, Dwight Howard, I can't understand.
Speaker 1: Why they're not in the league. I mean that's just me. But then I look at a guy like Jokish, I mean what a player?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean fundamentals can take you where talent can't take her. The fundamentals of the game can take you where talent can't take you.
Speaker 1: Because I look at him, I look at do you know.
Speaker 9: The last three m vps are non Americans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, And so the game is too big? Ye also big men and big man So.
Speaker 9: The theory that you know we're gonna be three point eight shooting contest is not valid.
Speaker 1: Did you think did.
Speaker 2: You think that you would see the position evolved in this way where we're.
Speaker 3: Now we're seeing seven footers mooring now point guards and anything like that, or or just kind of.
Speaker 1: Well, we're just going through a phase.
Speaker 9: But I still believe that you have to play with in and then you go out because if you throw the ball into the center and you cut off of him, you run through your three point line or whatever, you can get a good shot if you got to throw it out, if they double, if they.
Speaker 1: Don't, you do the other center.
Speaker 2: Yao.
Speaker 1: Right, So the game is.
Speaker 9: Just evolving, and it's comfortably evolving and evolving, and it's it's.
Speaker 3: Just so one thing I'm I always think about with like the evolution of the game is just how the physicality and how different things are and everything.
Speaker 2: I could already see a smile on your face.
Speaker 1: Boy, I would love to play right now. Yeah, yeah, I mean like I would fall over.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What were things that were like that?
Speaker 3: You were like that was normal when I was playing that to now you're like that's a flak or you.
Speaker 9: Know, well, Gus Johnson, west Son, sil Elvin Hayes I'm just going with the forwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sidney Wicks.
Speaker 1: Is another guy that you don't hear about. Maurice Lucas. We banged. It's like a bloody wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 9: To see you guys, you know, like no touch and you take that three step zero step. Yeah. Yeah, it's all good for basketball. You're bringing everybody else into it, and so you can make the adapts. They can adapt to the game. But nevertheless, Boyle's hey.
Speaker 1: Look at that. There's a Sonic jersey. Hey, hey, and there's a Laker.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they know, they know, they know, they know. You're running around what was like the most physical game you ever played in.
Speaker 3: In terms of like we were there ever times like you got really rocked and you're like, okay.
Speaker 1: I can't show anything.
Speaker 9: Well, yeah, I got rocked a few times with Baltimore Bullets way back in the day when I first came into the league.
Speaker 1: I know, y'all have one who went out there. There's there such a thing as Baltimore Well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yes, they were.
Speaker 9: There was the Baltimore Bullets back in the day, or just the Watchington Wizards today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a team called the Seattle Supersonic back in the day that is now now okay see, but back to Seattle. Yeah, so you know they're.
Speaker 2: Well, like, so what in that game when you were playing against.
Speaker 9: Me, well, Gus Johnson and West Unsales suptrusted me.
Speaker 1: I fell to the floor.
Speaker 9: And I said, Lenny, can you give me a hand man?
Speaker 1: He said, get up on you. You're in the NBA, sir.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 9: I was like, welcome to the league because I had came over from the AVA and it was like these these these guys are.
Speaker 2: Trying to test me.
Speaker 1: Then I went from from Baltimore.
Speaker 9: We played the New York Knicks and that was Dave de Butcher, Jerry Lucas, Willis Red and.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, this is real ball here. So it was just a rugged kind of game.
Speaker 9: But I'm kind of partial to the non touch somewhat because we lost a lot of players because of the physicality of the game, and so we didn't get a chance to get guys playing twenty years, fifteen years, eighteen season unless your kareem Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You got Sky can you tell him?
Speaker 9: When I was with the Lakers, he was telling me, you know what your with your hand?
Speaker 1: I couldn't teach you how to shoot the skyhook.
Speaker 9: And I kept looking at him like do you know if I get that clothes, I'm gonna jump over.
Speaker 2: And yeah, right right, right right, you just dunk it.
Speaker 9: So I lost five years of my career right because I didn't listen to Korea.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. He seemed like he had a figure because.
Speaker 9: Magic the three of us were working on that on the skyhook and Kareem's teaching me and wanting the sky and Magic stayed with him and I didn't.
Speaker 1: I went someplace and got out.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a different priority eight. Yeah, no, it was. I fell into a bad place.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, right right, Well I'm glad you got out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, thirty nine years and sobriety, so congratulations, start drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's water, but it is aqua fino.
Speaker 1: So I want you.
Speaker 2: What was the medical like, you know, when you when you felt that when.
Speaker 4: You got hurt, Like, what were were they like sticking your swollen foot in a nice bath with some beers in there?
Speaker 1: Like what one of the things. Okay, another thing that was was cool that I was.
Speaker 9: I thought it was kind of crazy, but I was, Wow, the guys, was that halftime.
Speaker 1: It was in the smoking cigarettes and you know it's it's cold.
Speaker 9: In Boston right now, give me some of that brown whiskey right.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so it was it was different.
Speaker 11: And then when you got hurt, it was like you get hurt in the first half and you're like, you walk in, cry out, crawl into the locker room and guess what, I got a big old horse needl here for you. Yeah, you're gonna shoot you up, and you get your butt back out there and play.
Speaker 9: And then we would get out of the game and finish playing, we get on.
Speaker 1: The bus, go back to the hotel.
Speaker 9: No restaurants open, right right, yeah, because eleven o'clock, right, so we had to go search for food.
Speaker 1: And you know it was just light.
Speaker 9: And young players need to know these stories because they're flying on planes.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and we were flying.
Speaker 9: Hey, I was the m v P and I'm flying flying, flying on the planes and the coach with.
Speaker 3: Your frame, what was that even like would you even physically getting the setah you were doing like a cannon ball.
Speaker 2: Position, Yeah, yeah, your chest.
Speaker 9: That was That's what basketball used to be like and where we are today.
Speaker 1: So the appreciation levels would be so much higher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it is as more people learn and learn, and I think that's why, you know, we got to thank you again just for coming on our podcast, because yeah, this is it's not often that we get to speak with people, you know, who have had such a lasting impact on the league. And in a way too, that's so subtle that I think, yeah, more and more people are learning.
Speaker 2: Just how important you are. So as a fan, I want to thank you. As a Laker fan, I want to thank you many times. But yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 9: You know them guys always telling me Magic and Cooper and you have to stay ahead. Five in a row.
Speaker 2: I met guys so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but day but they said it from their lips to your ears.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, It is what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much, Spencer Hey for joining us on Miles and Jack out mat Bue season. Thank you guys for listening to this very special episode live from NBA Con and Las Vegas.