Speaker 1: Cools Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Cool People. Did Cool Stuff? Your weekly reminder that people do really fucking cool stuff.
Speaker 3: It's in the title of the show.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Margaret Kiljoy and my guest today man, my returning guest. One of the first guests I've ever had on this show is Jason Petty aka prop aka Propaganda.
Speaker 4: Hey, tell me something good. Yeah, yeah, come on, tell me that you love me. Kill Joy.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love you, Sophia.
Speaker 2: I am so excited. I changed topics yesterday. I have like basically not slept. I'm kind of manic right now because I changed topics about thirty six hours ago, and I read an entire history book as well as a whole bunch of other texts in order to do this.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, but it's gonna be worth it. I believe it. Manna.
Speaker 4: You're gonna tell me about some sort of horrible atrocity that is gonna get me so sad, And then there's gonna be a turn, because there's gonna be a really dope person that's gonna pop in and lead us to freedom.
Speaker 2: Honestly, yeah, this was gonna happen. Yeah, And I also figured it's been a minute since I've had a musician as a guest, and so I thought I'd do an episode about music. Oh man, Originally, originally I was gonna cover this man, Alan Lomax. Have you ever heard of Alan Lomax?
Speaker 3: No, help me out.
Speaker 2: All right, he is the guy who recorded folk musicians. He's a white guy who went down and recorded folk musicians, especially black musicians in the South. And he's like kind of caused the folk revival and did all the shit, and like rock and roll exists because of Alan Lomax, according to various people. Okay, but along the way, I was realizing I was covering about how when he was seventeen and he was with his dad, he went and recorded a prisoner went by the name of Led Belly.
Speaker 3: Oh, Led Belly is a different story, and.
Speaker 2: That is the better story. So this week, yes, okay, hard covering Honey Ledbetter.
Speaker 4: I'm a little I'm a little familiar with this one. Okay, yeah, I thought you might be. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Led Belly is the king of the twelve string guitar and one of the most influential musicians in American history yep, and also one of the most maligned people in American history, like the way his story is told. A bunch of white people did a lot of fucking myth making about him. Yeah, and they were not polite.
Speaker 3: When they did it.
Speaker 2: But I forgot to introduce with Sophie's here. Hey Sophie, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Return of.
Speaker 1: I'm here, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to do this, Like I feel like this is like first year cool We blue did cool stuff. Oh Man, almost uncomplicated. He is a complicated man, but less complicated. I'm like uncomplicating him from history instead of more complicating than from history.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy is first year of cool people. You didn't have a dog. Rop didn't have a dog, and I only had one dog.
Speaker 2: Right, I had a puppy. I had a tiny barkie puppy. First year, I.
Speaker 5: Definitely didn't have a Okay, you did not have your pug and I did not have Truman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: There is twice as many dogs in this room as there was when we started.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. The stats are great.
Speaker 3: This is a glow up. Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I love about what you're about to do is one of the things that is infuriating is that.
Speaker 3: The word infuriating.
Speaker 4: Infuriating makes me furious is when there's this myth making. Obviously, all stories have a perspective and an agenda, like you're trying to accomplish something, and when it happens in history, you know, the obvious ones are like, well, either trying to usurp or present power. You know, yeah, totally right. But then the real story be so much more interesting. And if you just tell the real story, it's so much more compelling than the shit you ate up. And and oftentimes you making it up makes it so obvious what Joe problem was. And now you look silly. Yeah, you know, especially in music. But it's just like you just you're white supremacists and you just want to believe that everything you make is better, but you stole it all.
Speaker 2: Well, what's what's wild about this story is that they are blatant about the theft. If you go back far enough, it's like when early colonists came to white the colonists came to North America and we're like, well, of course this used to be yours, but it's mine now I took it from you. That's what people did to this man.
Speaker 4: Yes today, why submitted for the tap in episode, we're talking about the Hanna Nashoni and Red Jackets letter, and Benjamin Franklin goes, Yeah, their democracy is better than ours. We should model at democracy after theirs. They figured out how to have a representative government.
Speaker 3: We should just do what they did.
Speaker 2: Like you, I wish we had, or even better, I wish people just fucking joined them. Yeah, that's what he left them in charge. We should have just joined him.
Speaker 3: They figured it out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Huddy led better because he actually his stage name was Led Belly with a space in it, but he he preferred going by Huddy, and sometimes his friends would call him Led, but his name wasn't Led Belly, that was his stage name. His story gets into so much shit and specifically, I'm sure there's versions of this that have happened before, but this is the earliest I have read about the making and methodologizing of the scary black.
Speaker 3: Man an American culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and some of the like early incredible depths of appropriation of black music. One that I can tie into both colonization and slavery more directly than I realized. Like I can basically say, like this is how a sharecropper got share cropped on music. Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Knowing how this story ends makes me go, yeah, that's an incredible Yeah, it's an incredible analysis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm really excited this story has. I mean, he dies at sixty, right, but he fucking he makes it, and he makes it through the worst shit, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I could be overly polite and say mainstream culture has always been downstream of Black American culture, but in Huddy's case, the kid of a Confederate soldier is going to hire him without paying him and use him to try and get copyright on as many black songs as possible, especially songs written by prisoners who are being essentially enslaved because during after Reconstruction with the Jim Crow laws, they were like, how do we make black men keep working for us for free?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so I'm gonna go with my colonization metaphor, even though the like downstream of black culture is also.
Speaker 3: Part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I want to start. Do you know a Huddy Ledbetter as the first person we have a recording of saying explicitly and directly stay woke.
Speaker 4: No, I knew it was like great grandfather's slaying, Like my great grandfather said it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's old as fun.
Speaker 3: It's so old. But I didn't know he was the first one. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do a whole Okay, we're gonna start with stay woke because this is a Yes, this is my first deep dive, even before we get to the rest of it. All right, Marcus Garvey returning character of the pod founder of Pan Africanism and the red, black.
Speaker 3: And Green flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, complicated figure from a lot of people's point of view, but for sure, really fucking interesting. And I eineteen twenty three he wrote a book of aphorisms. He was like, these are some sayings I like, and one of them was wake up Ethiopia, wake Up Africa. And so that's the oldest that people point to about like this idea of.
Speaker 3: That's where I point out is market Yeah, totally and that phrasing it clearly means be woke. Right.
Speaker 2: But in nineteen thirty eight Led Belly said it for the first time on a recording and he said he's talking about the Scottsboro Boys. When we talked about that in a second, he said, quote, I advise everybody be a little careful best, stay woke, keep their eyes open.
Speaker 3: Dang, I didn't know him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't remember great Grant granting him. You got to you gotta stay woke, young brother, you gotta stay woke. Yeah, hey, okay.
Speaker 2: And it's so funny because it's like it's now the fucking culture Warship one hundred years later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, literally redefined and used as a weapon against us so fresh. We should have never like conceited the definition. And now this is where we are.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, any.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, totally and and honestly, I frankly think a big part of that is because like white, well meaning lefty people started using it one ironically, Like I think that's part of how it broke containment.
Speaker 3: And I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm actually gonna talk about how that happened in the sixties in a second, okay, but first the Scottsboro Boys. I hate to start off with this, just like, fucking here's some racist shit that happened. Because this is what Ledbetter was talking about. I think it's useful framing, especially when we're going to talk about what happened to Ledbetter was that he got called basically like the scary, violent, savage black man who happens to be really good at music. Yeah, you know, yeah, the Scottsboro Boys. Some people call it the case the lead of the civil rights movement. You could say that about a lot of cases, because there was a lot of things yas shit. Yeah, And it started with racist hobos and I didn't know that part. Nineteen thirty one is kind of the peak hobo era. In the Great Depression, people rode freight trains around illegally trying to find jobs. My granddad was a hobo in the nineteen thirties. It's March nineteen thirty one, and it's Alabama, and there's a box car with like twenty something people in it. Nine of them were black teenagers aged thirteen to nineteen, and some white boys picked a fight with the black kids and lost.
Speaker 3: They lost that fight. They lost. They were run out of the box car.
Speaker 2: And if you're a fucking hobo, you're not supposed to fucking lose a fight and then go run off and tell the fucking cops, the police. Yeah, fuck you pick a side, are you crime or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They ran out of the box car, went off to tell the cops, and an angry mob was waiting for the train. At the next stop, teens were arrested for assault. But there were two white women in the box car two and they were also hoboeing looking for work, so presumably sex work. And the two were going to get arrested and charged with vagrancy and like solicitation and sex crime shit, And they were like, oh, no, those black teenagers absolutely raped us, that's what happened. Yeah, And they were rushed off to the doctor who found no evidence that that happened, just absolutely none. The only evidence in this case was these two women. That's the only evidence. All but the youngest of the black teens was sentenced to death. The all white jury actually wanted to sence the thirteen year old to death, but the judge was a softy and only wanted to put everyone.
Speaker 3: Else to death.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this became a national issue. The International Labor Defense, which was the legal wing of the American Communist Party, teamed up with the NAACP to fight for their defense. And it's kind of a thing that doesn't get talked about that a lot of the early Basically, the NAACP and like the Communist Party were like two of the biggest organizations in.
Speaker 3: The twenties and thirties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fighting for like what later became the civil rights movement. And eventually the convictions were overturned, but not before some of these people were sentenced four different times. Like they kept getting new trials and they kept being like, well, you got a new trial, but we still want to kill these kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They were imprisoned for decades, and even when their rape charges would get overturned in the end, they'd still be in prison for like fighting a bailift during all the bullshit. It wasn't until fucking twenty thirteen that they were posthumorously pardoned.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Man, I got a lot of thoughts, but yeah, yeah, we have these.
Speaker 4: Flashpoints in culture and then you get invited to like help their leadership team of some organization, company, religious parachurch, whatever.
Speaker 3: Process and like get woke if you will. Yeah, and then you're like, I don't even know where.
Speaker 4: To start, because just throw a rock in any decade and there's this and then you say, okay, you asked me a question like well, why don't you just call the police?
Speaker 3: Why don't you trust the justice system, And it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pattern recognition. Yeah, because of pattern.
Speaker 4: Pattern recognition, I saw I learned, and some I learned in therapy with with like couple's therapy, which is like yeah, yeah, yeah, your your partner doesn't trust your emotions or your words, they trust your patterns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Until you change the patterns, the nervous system isn't going you know what I'm saying, So like it's it's it's pattern I mean, because I got jumped, we dog walk these dudes who attacked us. Yeah, and and these white white women saw it. Yeah, white women, Yes, you saw it. So why you think we won't trust white women. I'm like, well, you.
Speaker 2: Saw this, Yeah, you saw all that happen.
Speaker 3: You saw all this happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the judge said, I think these little boys is innocent.
Speaker 3: I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: Oh but you gotta I gotta wait, I gotta go back, Like okay, so but I'm still you you found me innocent multiple times.
Speaker 2: How am I still in jail?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't understand how I'm still in jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's because you punched someone while you were being put in a cage for something you didn't do. So yes, so excuse me, yeah.
Speaker 3: For not trusting the system?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, and so when fucking Honey Ledbetter in nineteen thirty eight, he says, stay woke. It means keep your fucking wits about you. Remember that you live in a fucking racist society, and remember that they're fucking after you. Yes, and he said it as one of the most important musicians of his era. By the time, he said nineteen thirty eight, he is one of the most important musicians. Yeah, and he had experienced racism in the South, but also from the very fucking white people who are ostensibly helping and build his career. Yeah, but I want to keep tracing this woke thing just because it's a fascinating please do and the.
Speaker 4: Thing is too like I like, please don't use your train of thought because it's so important. But like specifically as a musician and as myself as a black musician, I mean up until very recently, and I would even argue even currently, like all black music is political. Yeah, like it's it's it's all a protest, even if it's just for fun.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Like that the fun is a protest. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: Like so it's just like our tradition is like the hip hop it's from the same stream that we're talking about right now. It's like, yeah, absolutely, it's all political, like, yeah, I don't know what to tell you anyway, go on, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: No, I mean even like I don't want to like go hard defending Marcus Garvey. Right, But one of the reasons that Marcus Garvey, because sometimes I guess a lot of shit is is I'm going to oversimplify things, get something's wrong. He was more of a proponent of black capitalism than most of the people by the late sixties who are interested in black power.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, But trying to build wealth looks really fucking different when you're having your wealth systematically stripped away.
Speaker 3: From you every time you get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is either reinforcing power structures, are trying to build new ones, you know.
Speaker 4: Totally, and then what are you going to do? Like you like, okay, so we're going to go back to Africa. You mean, the second largest land mass on the planet.
Speaker 3: What part are you from? I don't know, it was part of you from?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think my ancestors was from these four different tribes. Now that's a nation. Somebody is because the people drew a line.
Speaker 3: Nobody drew a line.
Speaker 4: So like, I think, I don't know when I left, we weren't Nigerian.
Speaker 3: Because there was no sustinct as Nigeria.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, totally, we were Igbo. And now like, so where are we going to go? I don't know, Yeah, go to I'll hear you like, yeah, let's go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the word hipster kind of originally means white person trying to be black. Okay, in the middle of the twentieth century, that's how it was being used.
Speaker 3: Basically, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a fuck. I like cited this properly. In episode like two years ago, a black author from I think the nineteen forties was talking about the BEATNICKX was talking about this.
Speaker 3: Either way, that's dope.
Speaker 2: And so the word hippie comes from that, right, It comes from people who are like, like, white people are trying to be cool because like, yeah, black people are cool. I don't know if you knew that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that no one's ever put that on you. Yeah, I don't put that on you before. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although in their defense, most people we call hippies didn't call themselves hippies.
Speaker 3: They called themselves freaks.
Speaker 2: But black authors were very aware of how white people were copying their style and their language in order to be hip.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's this piece from nineteen sixty two in New York Times Max magazine from a black author named William Mellon Kelly about appropriation. Doesn't use that word. It's about appropriation, and it's called if you're woke, you dig it, And it doesn't bother saying what woke means in this piece that's called that, it just assumed that the audience is familiar with woke as black slang.
Speaker 3: You absolutely know what we mean, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That white people are starting to use. And in it he conjectures that a lot of black slang started with slaves speaking code to confuse the white slavers. He says, quote, my grandmother told me that ofe, a word for white man, was foe in pig Latin.
Speaker 4: Yeah probably, Yeah, like, no, I don't have another argument, you know, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: It also gets into how black use of the Southern accent survived the Great migration of black people leaving the South in part to be able to maintain a cultural identity separate from whiteness when they went places. And it talks about code switching, doesn't use the word code switching, but it like talks about code switching is the thing I've read about that. Okay, But there's one piece in there, one bit of slang or a verbal mannerism. I guess that I had no idea came from black culture. I will never be surprised when something comes from black culture. But that's one I didn't know. Do you know the word using using the word like it's like punctuation.
Speaker 3: Yes, from black people?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh god, see I didn't know that either.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I was goa pulls.
Speaker 4: I got a few I could pull out of, like out the tank, like like yeah, well, everybody puts your hands together. That's from Harlem Renaissance. That's shit black people. That's our slang with hands together. But yeah, I didn't know, like what was one of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The uh the example he uses two white women taught walking out of the like Boston Symphony, and one of them says to the other, wasn't it like exhilarating nineteen sixty two? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Oh man, these jab percys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so woke hit a more wide audience, including a wider black audience, as I understand from what I've read in the late aunts and early teens. In two thousand and eight, Erica Badu saying I'd stay woke in the song Master Teacher.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In twenty twelve, she tweeted stay Woke in support of the band Pussy Riot from Russia.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Then it got hashtagged and response to the murder of Trayvon Martin and Florida yep. Then when cops and ferguson Missouri murdered Michael Brown in twenty fourteen, became associated with the Black Lives Matter movement, and then it became a right wing boogey man, especially after the twenty twenty Uprising.
Speaker 4: But I would even say, even to your point, even to that, like if you woke, you could dig it. Yeah, is this understanding that we already knew it? Admitt Yeah. So even from that first song of Erica singing that, right, we all thought of our dads. Yeah, Like she's like, she's talking the way our dad's talked.
Speaker 3: So she was already referencing our old hits. Yeah. So we just thought as like, oh, yeah, you married, you bring them back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like you're bringing it back.
Speaker 4: So we was all ready for us a reclaiming of sixties black slang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it already wasn't We didn't invent it.
Speaker 4: We knew we didn't invent this phrase, right, right, so like we knew we were again Yeah, we were referencing our grandparents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well do you know what our grandparents also had to deal with in the middle of their audio entertainment, I mean got to got to deal with in the middle of their audio entertainment advertisers.
Speaker 3: All right, much like these ones.
Speaker 2: And we're back, all right. And so the first quote stay woke we have on a recording is the blue singer named led Belly you preferred to go by Hoddy or sometimes just lead.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about him. Let's talk about him, honey.
Speaker 2: Led Better was born probably on January twentieth, eighteen eighty nine. You get back into the nineteenth century of poor folks, especially poor folks of color.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, look, you do your best. Yeah, it's also a survival tactic. Side note, Oh, honestly, that makes sense. Yeah, it's a survival tactic to be like No I was No. I was born in eighteen twenty six in Negative Louisiana.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, making up stuff yet.
Speaker 2: No, No, honestly, that makes a lot of sense because he's later at some point gonna he's gonna break out of prison and change his name, which.
Speaker 3: Is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah you could do that. Yeah, Yeah, You're just gonna make some shit up when you do that, you know.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And eighteen eighty nine is a rough time to be born black in Louisiana. Woo reconstruction is firmly over, and the air of Jim Crow has begun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: His parents were Wesley Ledbetter Junior from North Carolina and Sally Pooh led Better from Louisiana. They'd both been born into slavery and wound up sharecroppers as kids, and after Hodey was born, they adopted a girl named Australia whose parents had died, and I think they had more kids besides this as well. Nineteenth century names, especially, honestly, names from black culture will be like, yeah, just not names you here.
Speaker 3: Yeah Australia. Okay, that's pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, yeah, never thought about a name and a child Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And his parents they they bootstrapped themselves. I know, the whole phrase bootstrap, like picking yourself up by your bootstraps. The whole point is that that's impossible. Yeah, you know, but his parents did about as well as anyone in their position could. Yeah, and they did that with help of infrastructure built by and for black people about getting.
Speaker 4: Land, yeah, because reconstruction was working. Yeah, like that was the it was actually working.
Speaker 3: So yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I sometimes get really really upset when I think about, like we like almost I'm sure it wouldn't have been perfect. We almost had as racial America, Like.
Speaker 4: We kind of solved it, like we accidentally solved the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and then people realized that they like could just break the law in order to fucking oppress black people and know, yeah, oh city worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah you better. We gotta put the genie back into bottle guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Oh and that's what happens to his parents too, unfortunately, Like but like all right, we'll get to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So a black man that they knew a family friend had just moved to Texas and bought thousands of acres. The historian I read didn't know where the hell that person got the money. My guess just from doing the show too much around that time, and in that part of Texas, like the Texas Louisiana kind of area, The Colored Farmers Alliance was a really powerful movement that specifically existed to get land into black people's hands by like loaning them money right and doing it non exploitatively.
Speaker 3: And it was like a black lead movement.
Speaker 2: That's my best guess about where this person might have gotten the money, and that farmer immediately now it was thousands of acres isn't going to work?
Speaker 3: Thousands of acres?
Speaker 2: Yeah, immediately let the leadbetters come and share crop for him, but without ripping them off, because part of the reason the sharecropping system was so fucked up is it was just basically like how exploitative can we make these contracts?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know.
Speaker 2: And so it helps his parents buy sixty eight and a half acres of land on a seven year loan. They finished paying it off seven years and they were able to build themselves a decent life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's way shorter an average mortgage.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, must be nice. Yeah, like seven years were okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah for sixty eight and a half acres.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my kid's a second grader. I paid off the house. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally. They're like, all right, now we fucking raised most of our own food, and they live somewhere where there's like no white people in twenty miles and like MT's be nice. Yeah, now he ledbetter, had a nice childhood by what he says, like they worked hard as fuck.
Speaker 3: His parents were.
Speaker 2: Waking up at one or two in the morning to clear land for farming, but they lived twenty miles from the nearest white people. They got to do their own thing with a bunch of other black families in the region, and they rode five miles to get the mail once a week, and they read the newspaper. When his father had been married, he hadn't been able to sign his own name. He did an ex and was like witnessed by somebody, you know. But now he read everything that he could, and the local shopkeeper kept the whole week's worth of papers for him. So cool, so when he would show up, he'd be like, all right, I gotta read everything, gotta know everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The family would fish in the lake, play music on the shore, and just lived fucking decent lives despite poverty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Two of his uncles were somewhat renowned musicians in the area. What were called songsters, which is a word I hadn't run across before. Yeah, these are the local folks who could entertain people. Yeah, no recordings, You're like, who can plays a nice songs? Two songsters in the family, Yeah, sing a song, singing man Yeah yeah. And later in life people are going to play up just basically like this is not the word they used, but they just played up how gangster led belly was right. They're like the whole thing was basically like they're accusing of being of him at being gangster rap before that was a thing. Yeah, And he's a violent man. He's mean and angry and dangerous. And to spoil some of the ending, when he dies, people come out and talk about him and they're like, he was an incredibly common, peaceful man who de escalated so many fights and if you punched him, he'd fucking stab you. Yeah, like, yeah, he believed in self defense. He's a country boy. He just a country boy child of a sharecropper. Yeah, who used to play.
Speaker 3: At the lake.
Speaker 4: But I beat you ass if you like, yeah, like, which is what you want all your sons to be?
Speaker 2: No, I know this is like yeah, Like I reading about it, I'm like, yeah, all right, Like fuck absolutely, like this is absolutely a decent role model, like in his earlier life if he could have been more committed to the women he was with. But like there's that, you know whatever, not anyway, whatever, Yeah, yeah, and who doesn't want to be dangerous to the people who are dangerous to us?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Yes, Like honestly, that's one of the main things I talk about with like trans shit is I'm like, I'm like, yeah, no, I try not to be afraid.
Speaker 3: I try to be scary. That's my plan, you know.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a phrase in the streets which is like stay dangerous where it's just like I need you like that is my Yeah, my greatest tool of defense is to seem dangerous.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember once I was in this I was taking this martial arts class. I was very classed differently than everyone else in this class, and one of the you know, people are like, oh, how do you stay safe or whatever? And I was like, oh, when people like you know, call me slurs on the street, I pull a knife. And to be clear anyone who's listening to this, I never did that. That would have been illegal. But theoretically what I would have done if someone caused me, you know, caused me a fagot.
Speaker 3: Is like pull a knife on them.
Speaker 2: And they were like, they were like, well, what do you do if they come after you? And I was like, oh no, then I run like first, I'm really scare them. I'm not gonna get in a knife fight. That's dumb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very it's very inefficient. Too.
Speaker 2: Was like that's called front and I was like, yeah, no that's what they did. It works really well. Yeah, that's exactly what it is. And then if they catch up with me, I fight. I never well whatever anyway, No, my.
Speaker 4: Friend's granddad used to say, a good run beats a bad stand any day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so young Young soon to be led belly. He's a studious kid. He got to go to school until eighth grade, at which point he had to come home and work on the farm because there's work that needed doing. He was respectful and friendly, and his family fucking loved him, and he loved his family. And he was a musical prodigy. And so people are like, oh, he was just naturally talented. No, he worked his ass off. Yeah, like he sat by the fire and did the well. His first instrument was accordion.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, no, his his family bought him an accordion, a wind jammer.
Speaker 3: He called it. One of the button accordions is diatonic instead of fully chromatic. Swahili, you just spoke to Swahili.
Speaker 2: But anyway, going, yeah, yeah, yeah, I used to play accordion on the street, so that's my I don't know what you just said, but I believe yeah, yeah, yeah. It doesn't play every note in the scale. It plays certain ones, and it's used much more in like creole music and all of that kind of stuff as compared to like French music, is like the bigger accordions.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So his cousin teaches him guitar when there's still little kids, and he is really good, and he sits by the fire and he does it over and over and over again until he gets it right. He loved dancing. He would tap dance for the family. Soon enough, as a young teen, he's getting asked to play all the local parties and at the school and all that shit. So he and his cousin, Edmund, the one who got him into guitar, they're playing Saturday nights out in the town, including at the white owned stores, and he starts bringing in money for folks, which I think it's still possible to make a living as a musician. But I don't know if you knew this prop it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, man, it's news to me. Man. I was, yeah, pretty crazy, man, I was really hard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember the first timesode I gave me money for playing a show. I have been playing shows for like ten years. Someone was like, here's forty bucks, and I was like, holy shit.
Speaker 4: Wait what Yeah, he got in a drink ticket and gas money. You're like, oh, you're paying me for yeah?
Speaker 3: Wait it get to you to pay me for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as far as I can tell before, recorded music is everywhere actually a little easier. Yeah, Like you still have to be fucking good and you still have to work your ass off. But he's like fifteen and bringing in money for his family. Yeah, but his cousin drops out. His cousin is like, no, these parties are too wild. I'm not into the drinking and cussin. I like church.
Speaker 3: And so he stopped playing out and he became a deacon. Likely story, Harry Black story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Honey was on his own and he's traveling around on his horse booker, and he kept his horse immaculate. He would wash it down all the time. How glossy his horse was. Yeah know like we've been we've been cleaning our whibs.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: They was horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta keep it clean.
Speaker 2: Baby, Yeah. Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Later he's like later in his life, he kind of yells at a younger musician. He's like, why are you playing dressed up? Like shit, you gotta wear a fucking suit. You gotta come do take your suit jacket off when you play. Oh man, you gotta come.
Speaker 3: Is this not fair?
Speaker 1: I'm turning red?
Speaker 3: Oh spooky like that. We've been cleaning our whips.
Speaker 4: Yeah, baby, you know you got candy paint.
Speaker 3: And you feel me.
Speaker 2: There's this Irish song, this Irish fucking rap band called the Rubber Band.
Speaker 3: That's their joke. They're like a joke band.
Speaker 2: But their song is like I got a horse outside, And it's like trying to pick up on a woman by being like leaving her like I think her mom's funeral and is like, no, I can't kick you in a car, but I got my horse outside.
Speaker 4: The horse outside. Yeah, what's that band that goes right itself in? In medieval times? They're like an uh Irish like rap group. They're like, uh, I wrote the whipping in medieval times. I signed up whipped bitch in the medieval times. It's all in the medieval times. It's pretty funny. Yeah, yeah, yeah, anywhere you are.
Speaker 2: So young. Ledbetter is not afraid of the rough and tumble life. He is not like preferring church.
Speaker 6: He does.
Speaker 2: Actually he goes to church, I think his whole fucking life. But like this isn't like he doesn't mind he's playing in brothels when he is fifteen years old. Yeah, and his whole life. He particularly enjoys playing music for kids. He is like both wholesome and rough in every measure, and it's part of why he's so fascinating.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 4: And also every all the great, all the best musicians are at church, so like you got to go play there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: No, And actually a lot of when they're later they're collecting songs from people. A lot of people are like, no, I'm not going to play secular music for you. Yeah, like yeah, like no, we play religious music. That's like it's weird. We played for church. We played for the church. It's all yeah, parties called Suki Jumps paid him fifty cents to play when he was fifteen, which is jumps.
Speaker 4: You're a suki jump, suki jem No, I've heard it all Suki suki Now.
Speaker 3: I heard that. I never heard of, right, suki.
Speaker 2: Jump, So suki jarre so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I can't All right.
Speaker 2: This part is perfect. So first of all, fifty cents is about seventeen bucks. Yeah, okay, so it's not paying him. Incredible, but they're going to fifty so'll not getting paid. Okay, all right, I never heard of a suki jump, so I looked it up. Suki is old slang word for an enslaved person, s uk e y ooh. So a suki jump in the nineteenth century was a party by and for the enslaved people. Okay, so it's entire thing is this is the party for black people who are enslaved.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to tell you something that is probably not going to shock you. The twenty first century band called the Suki Jump Band that I found while trying to look up suki jumps is all white people. Of course it is, Yeah, of course it is, at least by looking at the photos. Yeah, one of them is either not white or is just a white person dressed up like free to Callo, But no one is black in this picture, just.
Speaker 3: Like freed To.
Speaker 4: It might actually be Freeda. She had a wild life anyway, that's true.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Yeah, no, yeah, But what you might be surprised to know about the Suki Jump Band is that the singer of the band is the actor who played George g Stanza's fiance on Seinfeld, the woman who dies from licking poles in the stamps.
Speaker 1: What wait, wait, wait.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, we got to draw the band string for us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're gonna have to do that, and then I'm gonna need you to explain this to our mutual friend Sarah Marshall, because that will blow her mind.
Speaker 2: It has been a million years since I watched Seinfeld. There's this whole thing where George Castanza is like, I think, dating a lesbian and then she dies off screen from lick poisonous stamps and he like, I remember that, doesn't really care. The actor who played that woman is a folk musician who is the lead singer of the Suky Chup Band.
Speaker 3: That is the motion.
Speaker 1: Please tell Sarah about.
Speaker 2: Just please, specifically a word for enslaved people having dances like I'm not the first to cry appropriation. I do believe on some level, culture blends and bleeds into each other. But there's yeah, there's there's some borrowing, there's some fucking lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there's some stuff that's like look, man, uh I listen, listen. I live in I'm married a first in Mexican woman, and I live in Nagelus. I live in I grew up in a almost an entirely Latino Mexican environment.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's why you dress up as free to CALLO.
Speaker 4: Yes, I feel like I got a lot of passes, and there are a lot of things that are okay, like dressing up like free to call No. I'm just like and even me with with biracial children, I just feel like there's pot city these conversations I just shouldn't be a part of. Yeah, And I'm like, I feel like I understand, like I'll get into the Mexico El Salvador thing like day little beef, especially when I'm like, Okay, well, your borders were drawn by the cognizers, so don't understand why y'all like each other.
Speaker 2: Right, totally.
Speaker 3: What that's none of my business.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like you can like think about it and read about it. Yeah, there's so many things I don't need to have.
Speaker 3: A say in.
Speaker 2: Just exactly. I was like, myless things, Yeah, I don't need to have a saying this. Yeah, just like be interested in is fine, yes, totally. You know, like you should learn the difference to you know, why are the borders were drawn at various times by who?
Speaker 3: Like right, like yeah, and.
Speaker 2: So like when I like meet people who are like, you know, African American versus Black, I'm thinking about like two folks that I used to work with, two like older black, an older Black man, an older African American man, and both folk are strongly about these identities. Yeah, and one was very in a Marcus Garvey and one was very not in a Marcus garb. And I was like, man, I want to hear both of your sides so badly. And I have no fucking opinion. Yeah, I'm just curious. I just wanted to hear you talk.
Speaker 3: You're both so smart. Yeah, and like, what do you think kill joy doesn't matter at all? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly what I think. Yeah. It it opened my eyes to how some people see Marcus Garvey in a way that was useful for me. Yeah, you know, yeah, but do you know what I do know absolutely nothing about oh.
Speaker 3: Man whoever was about to advertise on his show. Yeah, I have literally no idea, not a clue.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we're back.
Speaker 1: Yay.
Speaker 2: So he's a fifteen year old riding a horse around in Texas, rural Texas at night by starlightes. So his dad buys him a handgun. As you do and over and over again, dad is like, you are not to go looking for trouble, but if trouble finds you, be ready there.
Speaker 4: It is advice. It's great dad advice. Yeah, fucking solid advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, if you're carrying a gun, that has to be why you're doing it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this actually goes fine for about ten years. This wasn't a like and then he immediately ran off and did crazy shit. He's going to be as several violent altercations, to go to jail many times. Yeah, but he is going to prove that he is not a hot headed man. He does, however, from a pretty early age, make it very clear that he's not very good at being faithful to the women that he dates. He had two daughters in short secession with one woman named Margaret, just as he married another woman named Alifa. Like his first daughter with Margaret was born six months after he married Alifa, and his second daughter with Margaret was born about a year after he was married.
Speaker 3: So got one night in town baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he didn't deny being the father of those children. He actual he's going to have a bunch of kids by a bunch of different, bunch of different women, and he's never going to be a shitty dad about it.
Speaker 3: He's always going to like try and keep up with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of them take the name ledbetter even though their parents aren't married to him, just because they're like first of all, that name kind of goes hard. Yeah, and it goes extra hard once your dad's fucking led belly.
Speaker 3: That's pretty dope. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's also a lot of evidence that overall, like the women he's with like care about him, and he cares about them.
Speaker 3: He's cheating on them, but like ya, we'll get to it more later, Okay.
Speaker 2: He and Alifa wanted the big city life, not the small town life. The couple moves to the Dallas area and they worked as hired cotton pickers. They're not sharecropping, and they're like daily they're like day labors, you know, hourly labor, day labor. Yeah, and he sings to her as they work, and this is also described as a reasonably happy time in his life. He plays out every chance he can. He tries to make it as a musician. And it's there in Dallas that he learns the Mexican instrument, the twelve string guitar. Whoa, that becomes his signature instrument.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He often played with Blind Lemon Jefferson, the father of the Texas Blues, who played Hawaiian guitar aka and open tune guitar played with a slide Yeah, usually a bottleneck or actually usually a pocket knife. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Huddy plays mandolin or accordion alongside.
Speaker 2: Oh, they seem happy enough for a couple of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: From nineteen ten to nineteen fifteen, they make decent money. They starts building an audience. Later, the white people who discover him are going to be like, we pulled this man out of nowhere. No one had heard of this, like swamp creature we found.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this guy with a ten year music career. Yeah, Yeah, he is packing shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's always scales though, right, because there is a difference between like even Tory nationally and suddenly being like a fucking pop star, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or just having like a local buzz where you just play out of juke joints down here, versus like you're an artist now. So yeah, there is fair enough, but like, yeah, I'm only on your radar because.
Speaker 3: I was killing it where I was at No.
Speaker 2: And that's such a good point that it even just goes to like when people are like, oh, you got lucky, and you're like, yeah, by showing up to work every single day for ten years, yeah, eventually someone noticed me. Yeah, totally don't get noticed unless you show up and play shows.
Speaker 3: For the last ten years. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's twenty six years old in nineteen fifteen and he has his first serious run in with the law, and it's going to tie into both white supremacy and self defense.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a continuing pattern. Great.
Speaker 2: He and Aalitha went home that year for the fiftieth Juneteenth. It had been fifty years since the text.
Speaker 3: And slaves were freed. What a thought.
Speaker 2: A few days before the celebrations, Huddy goes to go play a party somewhere along the way, like somewhere along the road at night. He gets into a fight and he shoots and injures another black man. And there's no particular evidence about how exactly this went down. The only people who even said, like, this is what happened are the people who are exploiting him or trying to build up the.
Speaker 3: Story about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the myth making is that it was a fight over a woman, because Huddy is a horrible flanderer.
Speaker 3: He's a little bit of a flanderer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also it might have been self defense, even in that particular case. I do know that he carried a pistol for eleven years before he ever fired it in a way that brought police attention. So I don't think he was reckless. Yeah, he drank and he gambled, it probably wasn't reckless. He's brought up on charges. His parents hire two white lawyers to defend him. No, which is not easy. They sign over they have sixty eight and a half acres, They sign over thirty fucking acres dail, which is like just loving parents, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's like it's not like they have cash, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, but like exactly, you got land and then right, yeah, when these two white lawyers are and even if, even if you give them the most kindest read of them, even if I were to do this for free, yeah, I am ending my law career by showing up up defending this black man. So yeah, I mean I might not be able to spore myself for the rest of my life. So like, is there something y'all could do?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Maybe, I think in this case, because it's it's it's black on black crimes, I'll get to air quots. I believe that these people are part of a white spres and take land away from black people. But later he actually is going to get defended I think pro bono by just like straight up well meaning white people who I think maybe like his music. Okay, but that's decades late. Now what's happening right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Actually later a man like drops out of grad school to raise money for his defense.
Speaker 3: Later like he fucking rips man way later.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and his parents might have thought they were just staking half their farm, not signing it over completely. Oh no, but now that they have Okay, So now they have white lawyers, and the charges mysteriously got dropped. They didn't even have to the whitelayers didn't have to show up in court. They just fucking magic network that bullshit, right, But instead he gets charged with carrying a pistol and it is either from this, I believe it's two charges in like three weeks. It's both the self defense carrying a pistol and later a walking while black. Yeah, and because it was illegal at the time in Texas to walk around carrying a pistol, and all white men did it all of the time and no one stopped them.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: One of the most fun things fun gets quotes here. One of the most fun things about America is it's so racist that both gun control and pro gun lobbies they just both come from racism.
Speaker 3: It's so bizarre. Yeah, it's like, man, nothing will make y'all happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're like the state wants certain people to be armed and able to commit extra judicial violence, and it wants other people disarmed, and so you make laws and then you selectively enforce them, and that's how you can do that. And that still happens today. Recently, the ATF announced that it's pistol brace rule. There's this thing where like, if you have an AR fifteen, this is going to be totally in the weeds. Let's go, gi have an AAR fifteen and you put a regular it can be technically a pistol, or it could be technically a rifle, but it's illegal if it's short and a rifle that's a short barreled rifle. Yeah, and so a stock versus a brace is what sets this apart.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: And the ATF said the a fucking couple of weeks ago, like, well, we're just going to if you get arrested for something else, take a closer look at your guns and then decide whether or not it's a fucking short barreled rifle to charge you. So they're just blatantly saying opinion, if you if you ain't got nothing to hide, it's.
Speaker 3: Not a problem. Yeah, we'll decide if you committed a crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Day and again you wonder why we don't trust the system, It's like you're making it up as you go along.
Speaker 3: That's why. That's why I don't trust Yeah, yeah, why I'm.
Speaker 2: Really fucking careful about gun laws, like I don't. There's no gray area that I feel is safe for me to be in, you know, like, and so it's completely possible. One history and I read conjectures that this whole thing was orchestrated to get this land into the hands of white oil prospectors, because that's what fucking happened. Yeah. In one of the other episodes I've done a while ago, I talk about the like numbers. The black ownership of land in the South at the end of the nineteenth century versus thirty years later is dramatic because the hardest people to disenfranchise during Jim Crow were the landowners. Congratulations, Leoy Supremase succeeded at that. Finally, you know, they figured it out. Yeah, and so oil prospectors get the thirty acres. Meanwhile, Hotey gets himself thirty days on a chain gang, plus extra at least five months to pay off his fines of fifty cents a day. We actually don't know how long he was supposed to be in jail, because this man.
Speaker 3: Did not stay in jail. Let's go, I'm out cuz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just to reverence my granddad, the hobo again, my granddad also was on a chain gang for a while because he was stealing a car and he refused to snitch out the people he stole the car with.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go Grandpops. Yeah, hey, pop Pop, what'd you do when I was a.
Speaker 3: Stole a car, didn't snitch?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then he fought in World War two and worked for the government. But like before that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before then, I was pretty badass. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The rest of my family is confused that the part that I'm really interested in is the hobo stories. Yeah yeah, yeah, like no, I wrote trains, I want to fucking Yeah. And so he gets sent out. They give him some unknown length of time. Officials are getting paid out in a cash for convicts kind of program. Chain gangs provide cheap labor for various private interests. Yea, four months into his one month sentence, he decides he's been in jail long enough. He and his fellow convicts they're in these like prison wagons, these wooden wagons that take them around to do work on the chain gang. And so like even like Sundays they're like day off, they're just like in cages by the side of the fucking road, you know. Yeah, And so he and his fellow convicts start a fire and burn a hole in the floor of the jail wagon. Cut yeah, and they all get off and movie. Unlike almost every other story about jail breaks that I've ever read, including some of his later jail breaks, this is not the only time he's going to break out of jail. He succeeds so crazy, he never does the rest of that sentence. So crazy he goes. And he also doesn't have to hide like a lot of times now, if you break out of jail, they catch you because you go home to your family, right, Yeah, but it's old timey times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he and Alitha, his wife, fuck off up north and they change their name to mister and Ms Walter boyd Yes, and they moved to another black community up near the Oklahoma border. The pair of them sharecropped, and he broke wild horses. He played his twelve string guitar for everybody all the time. Some of his young nieces and nephews came to live with him because his family's having a rough time because they just lost a lot of their land and everything's going badly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then a year into his new life, he killed a man.
Speaker 3: Oh so there's that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was about to make a joke about Okay, nephew, now when you come up here, my name is BOYD now.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah yeah, boy yeah yeah No, it's that's not what got him in trouble. It was definitely shooting a guy that got him in trouble. He killed a guy, He shot and killed his distant cousin's husband. The most likely story is that the two men were arguing. The story that's completely possible, but is the story that's played up is that the guy was like, you slept with my wife and then attacked him, and then he shot him in self defense, possibly with that guy's own gun, or they were gambling and arguing about money. There are witnesses that say it was self defense because the guy pulled a gun on him, But self defense doesn't get black men, even black men accused of killing black men out of jail, because there's no profit in not convicting a black man where there's lots of profit, and convicting a black man too was con.
Speaker 3: And sends to twenty years bail.
Speaker 2: And just because I love the name Margaret, the wife in question was named Peggy, which means her name was probably Margaret, but her she went by pig. Yeah, that's precious, which is a whole new nickname for Margaret I've never heard before.
Speaker 1: Cute.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, Yeah, yeah, cute.
Speaker 2: So he had lawyers, and this time he had white lawyers working pro bono and no one seems quite sure why. But he gets convicted and he goes to jail and his lawyers are trying to get him retried because it's pretty obviously self defense, but he doesn't like being in jail. So anywait, no, when the jailer comes into the cell one day, one of the inmates, there's like four of them. You break got her jail again?
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, no, totally yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: After a couple of weeks, How fast is this dude? This time one inmate jumps out of a pile of laundry and overpowers the guard and steals his gun and.
Speaker 3: Then they run for it. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: It didn't go as well this time, for actually one of them might have gotten away, but one of them was shot and killed in the escape attempt, and Huddy was caught a.
Speaker 3: Few miles away. He was unarmed.
Speaker 2: One escape he might have made it, so he was found guilty for the attempted murder of the prison guard, and he was going to be in prison. Both sentences were not running but at the same time. Yeah, they were running consecutively. Instead he had one then the other. It was going to be in prison for seven to thirty years. Who while he was in prison, another child he'd had with someone else who wasn't his wife, was born. Had a kid what whatever the right way the grammar of that sentence. He had a kid with somebody. He likely never got to know about this kid. He was in jail for a while. Alitha, for her part, I think she's done with him. I feel like at this point and she becomes a preacher. Of course she does. Yes, yes, no, she tied. Ah, he's you know, I'm gonna give my life to Jesus. I was outside, Yeah, cussing and fussing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they ever got divorced, maybe they just stopped being married. But that's where we're gonna leave it. Now he's in prison for a second time. He's he's not gonna stay there. He's gonna become incredibly famous. The people who are gonna help make him famous are gonna treat him like absolute fucking garbage, and then he's gonna fuck well, I don't want to spoil.
Speaker 3: All of you, don't ruin it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's gonna do some awesome fucking cool stuff, including apparently be faithful. I'm quite happy with his second wife to the end of his days.
Speaker 3: Ah, And so neither first recorded Wolkester.
Speaker 2: Stay Woke. No, you can hear the recording too, it's on YouTube. It's it's one of him many times he sings Scottsboro Boys. Yeah, anyway, what do you think about old Ladbelly so far?
Speaker 4: Man, He's not a cool person yet, He's just a regular dude who has lived some really dope adventures.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: But like, knowing where this goes is just like I didn't I've obviously I had no idea at his backstory.
Speaker 3: I just knew his contributions. But this is so fun, Like I've been smiling the whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the things that I like about him, he's a regular dude, Yeah, who made amazing contributions, who had crazy adventures. Yeah, who like did some fucked up stuff and did some really fucking cool stuff, And like it makes them more real.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it makes the music makes so much more sense too, where you're just like, yeah, yeah, bro, like he look came into town.
Speaker 3: Playing his twelve string.
Speaker 4: He out there up there being fine as hell, and yeah, bagged him with chick that night. He just happened to get it pregnant and he's like, yeah, well, I mean I made another kid today, So yeah, all right, I mean it is what it is, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as funny is, he's still like not rock star level.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's just like, you know, like there's there's such thing as like like black Hollywood, like you black famous like that. Yeah, everybody don't You're not a megastar like the world don't know, but like we mess with you, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah. Well if people want to hear your music or maybe your podcast, other ways that they can do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the politics prop I'm on the same network with these wonderful humans right here, proptpop dot Com. A lot of new music rolling out, man, I'm actually really excited about the new stuff.
Speaker 3: Check this out.
Speaker 4: Actually this is something to promote I am going to somehow I got involved in improv.
Speaker 3: I don't know how this happened.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. Huh and uh.
Speaker 4: But the show got invited to the Fringe Festival. If you're the Fringe.
Speaker 3: No, I never heard of it, but it's.
Speaker 2: I think I've heard the name, so it must be big. If I have heard, it's pretty big.
Speaker 4: It's in Scotland, in Edinburgh and it's like kind of a thing. So anyway, the people putting it together put together like a seed and spark to like support it because this ain't like paid gig, you know what I'm saying, which was weird to me because I was like, oh, yeah, it's cool go to the festival.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, hit me up and they're like, oh no, you have to. You have to pay your way there, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh shit, I don't know really, So then I told some people and they were like, no, you got to figure out how to Apparently mister Bean the first sight all right, he's yep, his first showing was at Fringe. Yeah, and then got the show, so it's like, okay, so you gotta go, you gotta go do it.
Speaker 1: Jamie performed at the Fringe Festival.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, see so shit, yeah it's a thing. So now I'm going, but like y'all want to support to boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should talk to Jamie about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, it makes sense that there's like there's certain things where you're like, you want me to do what you're gonna pay me if I'm going to do that, and then every now and then you're like, I will do that for exposure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's a fucking lot of exposure.
Speaker 2: It's kind of dope, Like, yeah, this is kind of dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, sports A Boy, that's some of my websites.
Speaker 1: You're going to practicup perform every night.
Speaker 4: Fifteen seventeen days and fifteen shows. Yeah, every other night or every night everybody too, So it's like it's going down. Yeah, I basically freestyle a spoken word.
Speaker 1: Jimmy did boss whum his girl at that friend festival like several years ago.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'll ask her, Yeah, I talked to her. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, people should listen to Politics a Prop. It is one of the best shows about just actually breaking down what's fucking happening in the world, Like like, if you ever are like I'm confused about what all this fucking shit means. I just listened to Politics a Prop. That sounds like I'm doing an ad read. I just literally do that. That is a thing that I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I listen to a lot of podcasts, and so I have visual memories of where Yeah, like ah, I learned that thing, well, hanging curtains, yeah, or like whatever the fucking thing is, Like, ah, walk in the dog, That's where I learned about this thing. So cool people should.
Speaker 3: Listen to that man and thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah people should listen to this show on Wednesday when we come back for part two. Whoo, I just want to pop in real quick from the future and say, I can't believe I forgot to kind of more specifically and directly point out the person and the book that helped bring all of this information to light. It's right there in the title. It's called Bring Judgment Day. Reclaiming Leadbelly's Truths from Jim Crow's Lies by Sheila Kuran Bernard.
Speaker 5: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.