Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode We'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. So, Hi, I'm stusis.
Speaker 2: Man and I'm Jeff Garland, one of America's top teams.
Speaker 1: And we are doing the History of Curby Enthusiasm, and we're on season four, episode six. The carpool Lane again a classic?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Usually not usually, but frequently every season is at least one classic. Some seasons have more than one. This one has more than one, right, The.
Speaker 2: Last one is considered about a lot of people.
Speaker 1: The five Wood and the carpool Lane. And we open and you and Larry are in the in our garage. I believe, yes, And it's a beautiful Sunday, and Larry says we should be golfing. We're not golfing because, of course, previous to this he has been kicked out of the club.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Then you ask him, how do you work at glue Gun?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then he says appropriately, how do I fucking know how to work at glue gun. And by the way, what I love is we don't need to establish what the hell I'm working on.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it's meaningless. Yeah, of course I know how to use a glue gun, because how else do I get the things on the sweatshirts? Yeah, the bedazzles. And then you discuss the interview at Beverly Park and the interviews went well, and Larry says, I really think they they took a shine to me. And he doesn't know what to do with himself without golf. He's just lost, and he wants to go to the Dodger game tomorrow night but can't get tickets. And then you mentioned that Marty Funkhouser has two season tickets and he's probably not going since his father just died. The tickets are gone a waist. What to do? Is it weird to ask Marty? I think it is? What do you think? Of course it is, yes, but the tickets are going to waste. It doesn't hurt to ask. And then you point out that every Sunday Marty has breakfast at NAT's or Nate's and it can't hurt to run into him. So the two of you go to Nates, and you see Marty in a booth on the phone in the back, and he runs into you and he says, I eat here all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, we change the name by the way of the delicatessen, which I don't understand, because this was back in a time where we never said nothing had its right name, as opposed to later on. And this is Langers Downtown that we filmed, which is the best pistrami. And may I also say his daughter opened her own deli on Sunset Boulevard, and the pastramis might be even as good.
Speaker 1: I don't know, never been there.
Speaker 2: Oh, Daughter's Deli, Sunset you stay there sometimes, not at Daughter's Delia, yes, I do thereby yeah, but I recommended highly to all our listeners Daughters Deli.
Speaker 1: I'm not a pastrami lover, but you know, by the way.
Speaker 2: They have great tuna salad, great egg salad.
Speaker 1: Whitefish salad. I like a good white kanesh, a good kanish all right, they got it all. Yeah, but you just call it Daughters Deli. That's the name of it.
Speaker 2: The name of it is Daughter's Deli.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, I've seen that, actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not far from the comedy store. So boy, I just gave them some big times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I frequently when I'm in Hollywood, I stay at the London, which is right there.
Speaker 2: Why are you saying that?
Speaker 1: Because you said I frequently stayed there, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Say what you know, I was once in New York and I was on the show whatever, the Kelly and Regis or whatever it was, and the guest host was Jeff Probst Prbst from Survivor right, and he was the host, and I was the guest with I don't remember. It could have been Kathy Lee. I don't remember anyhow. The point being is he says, we're staying at the same hotel, and I said, yeah, he goes to Parker Meridian. He says on the Why show, and we're staying at the Parker Meridian. And then I changed my name, which I still use to this day every time I stay in the hotel.
Speaker 1: I don't tell anybody, Barbiby Jones. All right, keep going, yes, Okay, So you running tomorrow and Larry then apologizes about the five Wood to Marty and then Marty says, you.
Speaker 3: Guys get into Beverly Park not yet.
Speaker 4: Well, we interviewed waiting to hear wait here, good luck?
Speaker 2: Great course?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you played it?
Speaker 3: Uh no, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Jew a money Oh.
Speaker 4: Hey, who do you like in the Dodger game tomorrow night?
Speaker 3: Oh it's gonna be tough. It should be a great game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sold out.
Speaker 4: It's a shame about your dad and all because you're probably well, just not up for going on a game.
Speaker 3: I guess. Huh No, I decided I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: No kidding. Good for you.
Speaker 3: He would have wanted me to go.
Speaker 2: I think that's true.
Speaker 3: You would have most certainly.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what if you if you're a little lonely and need a little companionship of the game, if you want me to keep your company, I'll be happy to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't have a seat for you. What about your dad's seat? It's spoken for.
Speaker 1: He says he is going to the Dodger game because his dad would have wanted it, and Larry says, well, you need companionship. I'm happy to go with you, and he says, no, no, no, dad's seat is spoken for. The seats are the third base field level, so they're very good.
Speaker 2: But the idea that Larry said companionship if you need some companionship.
Speaker 1: Too good companionship. Yeah, And Larry says, if you hear of anything about, you know, extra tickets, let me know. And then Larry asks them for the golf tip that we're still on the Weatherman's golf tip. Two episodes later, he still wants the golf tip. Fine, he won't give him the golf tip. Larry is then home and Nat is at his house, and Larry is wearing his old Seinfeld jacket because he's on his way to jury duty, and he makes the assumption that they don't like to pick people for jury duty who are in show biz. I've never heard of that, but what so, that's why he's going to wear his Seinfeld jacket to jury duty so he can get out of jury duty.
Speaker 2: The greatest excuse that I ever saw for jury duty. I was on a federal court jury duty in South Florida and when they were selecting, and I got to say, yeah, I was twenty two, twenty four. I wanted to be selected and experience that. And the guy ahead of me when they were going around, you know, interviewing them, said your honor, I hate all denominations, including my own.
Speaker 1: That is for Batam and that was not Larry David.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was excused.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, Larry says he would serve, but only if they make him the foreman. If he's not the foreman, he doesn't want to serve. And I do understand that.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been a foreman before, I've been a jury. Yeah.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 2: There was a guy who supposedly broke into someone's house and robbed them. It was that simple, and he found not guilty.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I was on a jury once, sennight.
Speaker 2: It was would you wear cotton? A lot of comfortable cotton?
Speaker 1: A lot of linen? And it was a reckless endangerment charge and it was quite fascinating.
Speaker 2: What is reckless endangerment?
Speaker 1: The guy shot a gun off in public, He didn't shoot anybody, so people, it's dangerous, and this is reckless and danger.
Speaker 2: Reckless and danger that's the appropriate name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was quite fascinating. And then Cheryl turns out got him tickets to the Dodger game, but Larry complains they're high out.
Speaker 2: He's making a joke though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's going to go with you with Jeff.
Speaker 2: No, he's going, He asks her, and she knows, damn well, he doesn't mean it. She says, no, go with Jeff.
Speaker 1: Go with Jeff. And Nat is at this point doing a TV Guide crossword puzzle, which is the easiest puzzle ever in the history of mankind. But he complains he's having so much trouble he could barely see it because of the pressure in his cloud. Calma, He's having a very difficult time. And Larry begs him, let me get you some marijuana, and Nat says, do I look like a Beatnick? I love that look.
Speaker 2: By the way, Shelley came up as a comedian and became successful during the age of Beatnicks.
Speaker 1: Correct, yeah, I know it was totally appropriate for him to say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And beat Nicks at that time were weedheads with smoking wheed. They called it.
Speaker 2: Pok with berets, and they were found in poetry.
Speaker 1: Playing and they were playing bongos. Yeah, And Larry says, but if I get it, will you do it? And he says, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Was once to ask to be in what's her name? My Alanis morisseet?
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, she was on the show.
Speaker 2: Anyhow, Alanis Morris set We talked about it. She was on the show, and she was I'll say a strong acquaintance of mine. We weren't friends, but I remember I was invited numerous times to be in a drum circle.
Speaker 1: Oh, drum circles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I burst out laughing, and I'm like, the day I'm in a drum circle, just some would come up and shoot me.
Speaker 1: I think a drum circle sounds fun. I've never been in one, but I think it sounds fun.
Speaker 2: I've witnessed a drum circle. And the other name for a drum circle is kill me, because that's what I would say, I would want.
Speaker 1: I will never invite you to a drum circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And no offense to Lanis Morris that who's a lovely person. But I didn't want to be involved in her drum circles.
Speaker 1: I don't think she holds it against you. And then we are at the what deer section of the jury, which is when they're picking questioning the jurors.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been the victim of a serious crime?
Speaker 4: My cousin wants stolen I'm enjoyed from me setting at the time, but.
Speaker 2: I don't think that would be considered a serious crime. Is there any reason you can think of that you'd not be able to decide this case an affair and impartial manner.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I could be impartial, mister Condon, given that the defendant is a Negro, like just.
Speaker 2: The word negro, of course, and obviously playing the Negro or.
Speaker 1: The Jonathan Harris is Jonathan Harris, who.
Speaker 2: Was our ad for so many years.
Speaker 1: Many many years, and I love him and missing Yeah, and we know that Larry is just saying using that term to get out of Jerry duty. That's quite obvious. And then he leaves the courtroom. He's in downtown LA and he sees a drug dealer who is played by Jorge Garcia, known from Laws.
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, Hora's first job.
Speaker 1: Oh is it really?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know for a fact because jj Abrams is my pal that he was hired. One of the reasons they were interested in was kurby your enthusiasm. Oh really, yeah, that's how they noticed him.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like when people get work.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, a lot of people that happens to show, including Kim Whitley from this episode.
Speaker 1: She worked a ton after well, she was so great in this episode.
Speaker 2: What I find fascinating and it's very subtle. He's wearing in this scene, Hora, a Hawaiian shirt, a T shirt.
Speaker 1: Ah little.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many years he would spend it in Hawaii?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Larry notices a little transaction between poor Hay and another person and he goes over and he says, I couldn't help notice the transaction.
Speaker 3: Well, exactly what are you thinking of a little uh little weed going hell.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 1: Yet he's clearly not good at this and uncomfortable at it.
Speaker 2: By the way, and also the dude knows I'm going.
Speaker 1: To score here, Yeah, because he's going to charge him way more than somebody who's knowledgeable. He tells him he can get announce a hydroponic for five hundred, Announce a shwag for two hundred, and yeah, the drugs will sell themselves. You know, they have an exchange. It goes the wrong way. It's all awkward and horrible. We'll be right back, stay tuned. Okay, we're back. And then he scores the weed, he gets the shwag for two hundred, and he's on his way to the game and he's on the phone. Jeff can't go to the game. Stuck in traffic, and Larry complains that he's stuck in traffic. Why were you not able to go to the game? I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter. I told him I couldn't go the game. I don't even know. Okay, to be honest, it wouldn't make sense to even justify it in the scene. I just can't.
Speaker 1: I don't have anything here. Yeah, so Larry, Larry's on the He's telling you, I'm stuck in traffic. The only thing moving is the carpool lane bingo. He's approached at the window by Kim Whitley on a date with Mama, and then he looks at the traffic and he gets a light bulb moment and he says, just get in the car to her, and she tells him her name is Monina, and he says he's not interested in sex. He just wants her to go to Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: See, actually, I'm not really interested in any sex per se.
Speaker 2: What do you want him? Freaky motherfuckers is.
Speaker 5: Up to tell you the truth.
Speaker 4: What I'd really like to do is I want to go to Dodger Stadium and I want to go to the game, and I'll pay you for your time.
Speaker 2: Maybe what five.
Speaker 4: Hours will be?
Speaker 2: You just want me to sit in the car, the car, that's all you have to do.
Speaker 1: Oh, you a crazy son of a bitch. All right, one thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars, A thousand dollars? What are you kidding me? That's the two hundred dollars an hour, exactly.
Speaker 1: I can get four blow jobs an hour.
Speaker 2: Four blow jobs, and oh yeah, I'm good drive a cam. I used to drive around for two hours.
Speaker 4: I couldn't get a fair you're telling me you're getting four blow jobs in an hour, Yes, honey, you'd.
Speaker 2: Have picked up the best.
Speaker 1: Honey.
Speaker 2: I got a red snapper that talks to you. You know what it's saying. I'm charging way too much seven to fifty to take me to the game. I'm going to the game. She's very confused by this as well. She should be.
Speaker 1: Well, of course she is. Yeah, and she wants a thousand dollars. She could give four blow jobs in an hour.
Speaker 2: I didn't even pay attention to that line.
Speaker 1: That's great, four blowjobs in an hour. And then something about red snapper. I wrote that. I don't remember what that was either. Yeah, but they finally settle on seven fifty, and she says seven to fifty, and you could take me to the game. And he says, I only have one ticket, but that's bullshit. And he goes into this whole thing about Henry Clay and compromise.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, he says he only has one ticket because he doesn't want to take her to the game.
Speaker 1: Of course, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh you're saying it's a bullshit. I thought you were saying it's bullshit. Then he has one ticket, never.
Speaker 1: Mind, No, he has two tickets. We already know you're not going right. And he and he subscribes compromise as when both parties are dissatisfied. That's what we have here, And then there's zipping along.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, is a brilliant line. Yes, I mean in life.
Speaker 1: That's why I wrote it down in life, compromises when both parties are dissatisfied.
Speaker 2: I got to write that down again. Compromise, Okay, you.
Speaker 1: Can Henry Clay. It's attributed to Henry Clay.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not a Larry quote. No, oh, I thought it was a Larry quote. Is when, let me write this down, is when two people are unsatisfied.
Speaker 1: Compromises when both parties are dissatisfied.
Speaker 2: That's a brilliant quote. Okay, gun.
Speaker 1: And then there's zipping along in the carpool lane, no traffic, and she pulls out two tickets that she finds and she's like, I'm going to the game, or I'll call my pimp, to which Larry has to give in because he does not want to deal with her pimp.
Speaker 2: By the way, who does she wants to? Does anyone want a good There's nothing good about a pimp dealing. There's no good solid what'd you do today? I had a pimp dealing. You don't like that?
Speaker 1: It's no good I have to say, Jeff, having never had a pimp dealing, I can't comment. Maybe there's a good pimp out there. So they get they get to Dodger Stadium. Now question, We've shot several things at Dodger Stadium. Yes, was this the episode where the guy got off of Asha.
Speaker 2: This is the one where he got out of jail.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about that first. Let's just get that out of the way. There was a guy who was accused of murder. He was there was an eyewitness that pinned him for the murder, and he claimed that he was not at the scene of the crime. He was at Dodger Stadium at a Dodger game that exact time the murder was supposed to be happening, and that there was a film crew they are filming. The lawyer then went to Larry and the post production team and they went through every single frame of the scenes that Larry shot in Dodger Stadium till they found the guy in the background and it was time coded, so they knew exactly when he was at Dodger Stadium and he got acquitted. How lucky for this guy that he wasn't sitting in a different section.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean it saved his life. Curb saved someone's life.
Speaker 1: It saved his life. So this guy got acquitted from a murder just by sitting in the background being a scene on tape.
Speaker 2: But it was a unwilling extra.
Speaker 1: He had no idea killing extra.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What a freak fucking thing though, you know, really, someone made.
Speaker 2: A short doc about it that's on Netflix. It's been on there for years, Yeah, which I've never seen.
Speaker 1: So then they're at Dodger Stadium. She complained, seats there all the way the fuck up, and Larry takes out his binoculars, and he sees Marty funk Kowser sitting alone down in the third row good seats, and then Monina says, I'm not the way looking around like you scared somebody gonna recognize you with some shit you're trying to act like.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not trying to act like I'm not with you. What are you saying?
Speaker 1: I will pull a titty out in this thing?
Speaker 2: I will pull a titty out. Don't you dare do that.
Speaker 1: I will act like you with me.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, I'm with you, I'm like.
Speaker 1: And she threatens that she'll pull a titty out if he doesn't act more like, so Larry puts his arm around her, and then as he has his arm around her, he sees Ken and Jim from Beverly Park Golf Club, the guys that he had the interview with at the end of the last episode, and he sees them seeing him with his arm around this prostitute Monina. Larry then goes down to funk Kowser and he says, his seat stink. He said, is anybody sitting there? Can I join you? And Marty says no, it's the memorial seat for my father, which is so bizarre.
Speaker 2: A well, by the way, that's something that Bob's master at, and that is.
Speaker 1: The dead pan Well.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, the illogical as logic, Like he'll say something completely illogical but present it as this is logic, this makes sense. Don't argue with me.
Speaker 1: I also feel I don't know if you agree with me, but he's not his full Marty Funkhouser yet in these early episodes.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think he he is.
Speaker 1: Say, I think he developed into more of a Marty Funkhauser character. Later on, Larry goes back to Monina mm hm and the country club guys walk by and he says to them, you.
Speaker 2: Have are looking for a good blow job at a reasonable rate. She's your gulp. I love when Larry does this, when he's cornered and he just dives in. He goes with it, He goes with it. And by the way, this is one of those episodes with multiple endings. You could have ended there completely. Yes, you could have ended there, no doubt it.
Speaker 1: But there's so much more. There's so much more. Game is over. They're in the parking lot. You see Marty in his car. Car won't start, and I.
Speaker 3: Can believe this my car won't start.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a.
Speaker 2: Shame it is.
Speaker 3: Listen, I've got to pick up someone at the airport and I know it's on the way. Can you give me a lift please, I'm.
Speaker 4: Just your father to help you jump start the car.
Speaker 5: Hey, Leo as you.
Speaker 1: Can give him a push, and Larry's just gonna dig it into him because Marty was an asshole about the memorial seat.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me that Bob in this scene isn't full on markin No.
Speaker 1: I think I think he became later on. I thought maybe in last episode. I think he gets more.
Speaker 2: By the way, this episode is one Marty funk Kauser and Larry David. What I mean by that is they have the exchange. Bob knows he's against it, he apologizes, and Larry talks to the invisible No one's sitting in the front seat, but he talks to it like it's Larry's dad, and he's like.
Speaker 1: That, like Marty's dead.
Speaker 2: And then Larry gets the idea, you'll give me the weather man's golf tip and I'll take you to the airport.
Speaker 1: Correct, But first he says, Marty says, I have to go pick help me. I got to go pick somebody up at the airport, and Larry says, why don't you ask your father to help you start?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, which is great, and Bob right away says, let's not get into this. Let's because he knows that it's a no win situation. Yeah, because he was wrong, he was completely wrong. He says, I was emotional, Just give.
Speaker 1: Me a ride, and then he gets in the car. Monina's there and Larry says, one thing I got to tell you, I'm with a prostitute, and Marty says, my eyes are closed, and Larry says, not for sex, but for the carpoolane. And then Larry says to him, I'll take you, but I want the weather man's tip. It's always quid pro quote.
Speaker 2: But anyhow, I want to tell everybody listening, watching whatever it is that the two characters on the show that are like very similar to who they are offscreen, Bob and Richard Lewis.
Speaker 6: Richard Lewis is more Richard Lewis than he is on the show. Yeah, we said Bob, but Bob is completely even between Marty funk Kauser and Bob Einstein, like the.
Speaker 7: Way forget everything you know about golf, forgetting, Like I could see him saying that to me in his backyard, Like that's he is exactly like Marty funk Kauser.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, so funny.
Speaker 1: So they get to the airport, yeah, and Larry has to go in and tells Monina, I have to go in to use the bathroom. And then he says to Marty, can you hold my jacket while I'm in the bathroom. See now, this is where it all the coal.
Speaker 2: Back by the way, This is why he wore the jacket early in the show. It's exactly what I'm talking about. If you want to use Curb as a mystery, you watch the beginning of the show and go, where can did this possibly go? You won't gans because you've got Larry David, But nonetheless it sets up everything for the end.
Speaker 1: So Marty puts on the jacket and next we know, we hear German Shepherd's barking and they're taking Marty away.
Speaker 5: It's not my marijuana.
Speaker 2: I'm just talk the jacket. What are you doing? Even my jacket, it doesn't even fit me.
Speaker 1: Get your hair up for me.
Speaker 2: Cut that dot away from me.
Speaker 1: Marty got arrested because of the marijuana that Larry put in the jacket pocket that he had bought several scenes earlier from Jorge Garcia, and there you go. Marty's arrested. Then he's in the car, back in the car with Monina, and he tells her that they took the marijuana. And Monina's got chronic, which is the best shit in town. That schwag bullshit just knows what schweg is. She's got chronic and she says, put the chronic on my bill. That shit ain't free, Bob.
Speaker 2: How quickly Larry forgets that his friend is just it's been arrested, arrested. You gotta go to the police station. How can I help him? Completely out the window.
Speaker 1: I agree, We'll be right back. Stay tuned.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: Larry doesn't have enough cash and she's like, you know, no pussy on layaway, and then he says to her, aren't we coup de la? Now we know, Jeff from the episode we did with Chris Williams, that coup delah is meaningless.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean anything, right, It be just something that Chris made.
Speaker 1: Up when he was Crazy Eyes Killer. So Larry says, we're going to go to my father's house and get some cash and give him the marijuana. And then she starts complaining, Monina sauce that was fucked up, seats you got me one little ratty ass hot dog whatever, blah blah. Then they're at NAT's house and Nat didn't watch the game because it was too blurry, and he gives him a joint, a reefer, as Nat calls it. That goes along with his beat nick lingo.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, he says big neck again. In about a minute or two, he.
Speaker 1: Repeats any and Larry's telling him how to hold it in his lungs. It's not like a cigarette. And then he asked him if he has any cash, and then there's a knock on the door and it's Monina. She didn't like waiting in the car and she sees Nat. She's like, oh, look at your cute little daddy. And Larry introduces Monina as a friend of Cheryl's. She's a lot of fun and they smoke and you know, ld is stoned, you see ld stoned. Nad is like, this is some good ship that they're yucking it up. The chronic is the schnitzick.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you what this is that's a good ship.
Speaker 2: No matter what it is, the smoke basons ebonics.
Speaker 1: Just say that this chronic is the shisnick dish chronic?
Speaker 3: Is he.
Speaker 2: For shizzle, my mizzle for shizzle? That sounds almost hold that he blew the scene.
Speaker 1: And then Larry leaves, and that says he blew the scene. So he's really going through his whole beat nicklingo. And then Larry is in the bathroom mirror looking at himself stoned, which this scene cracks me up because it just feels so Larry was.
Speaker 2: Feeling about this scene. This is like the stare down, which I didn't think was gonna be funny, you know when I first saw it, And of course it's iconic if you were watched the show when we filmed him. He did a million different things when he was in that bathroom, you know, to the mirror. I remember shooting a lot of that, but I remember thinking to myself, I don't think this is going to be funny. What are you looking at? You see something? Huh? What did I do? You do nothing?
Speaker 4: If you want me to do something, just tell me you got to change the diet I told you about that.
Speaker 2: I don't want the red meat eating a red meat. I don't like that.
Speaker 4: I'm doing the best I can go with doctor, get yourself a check out, Coldaska, Pik, what's the matter with you?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Everybody goes it got hold on to me. But it's hilarious. Yeah, it's not just funny, it's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then Nat. We go back out to Nat and he's all sappy and and he sees better. It's a miracle. And then all of a sudden he could see and he looks at my monina and he says, oh, no, it's on.
Speaker 2: She hold on. She's out of the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she went in the other and.
Speaker 2: Then she comes back in the room and he goes, oh my god, a hooker.
Speaker 1: It's a hooker because he could see, and I.
Speaker 2: Got that's the end of the episode right now.
Speaker 1: Then we're in the courthouse.
Speaker 2: Oh right, you didn't, No, no, I did. But that's a great ending too. It's a great ending, past two great endings.
Speaker 1: But it's not over yet, folks. There's more.
Speaker 2: And the way it's the third grade ending.
Speaker 1: We're in the courthouse, and any.
Speaker 2: Other episode that thirty three concise great.
Speaker 1: Endings, Well, we'll have to look for it.
Speaker 2: I mean they're all three. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he's in the courthouse with Marty and Cheryl and lawyer and suits and all you have to do Larry is tell the truth, and Larry tells how it was his jacket and his grass, and Larry and Marty go back and forth, and then Monina is there because she's clearly was picked up for, you know, prostitution, and she sees Larry. She's like, oh, mister baseball, mister oh Monina, two hundred dollars. You said five hours and it was seven hundred.
Speaker 2: He's still only two hundred dollars. I want my two hundred, spiller.
Speaker 1: And Cheryl assumes that that was his anniversary present. He says, so this is your anniversary present. Then we go in and we see the judge, and the judge is the same judge that was there for the wadir for the jury duty, and he puts his arm around Monina obviously.
Speaker 2: Because no, no, no, no, no, hold on, hold on, hold on. He sees the judge and then we cut.
Speaker 1: To him in front of the judge with his arm around Monina and talking about his father's condition. And that is finally the end.
Speaker 2: So here's what I want to say about the three great endings. So often it's usually a modern filmmaking. I'd say the last ten to fifteen years, maybe even longer, and it's happened before that. You're watching a movie and they'll be a logical ending, but they still keep going, and they still keep going. Yeah, and you say, why didn't they end there? As opposed to two other separate endings, which, by the way, completely unnecessary, Whereas here you have three concise, perfect endings, which I wouldn't want to give up any one of them. And I remember watching because I have watched it in so long, where when he says it's a hooker, my memory was that it ended there, and then the next one. My memory was when it ended there, and then finally, and I didn't remember what it was with the Judge until I saw Larry holding Kim Whitley's character, you know, because I'd forgotten because they were all such perfect endings, right, So I'm just saying, you don't see that.
Speaker 1: So what do you think, Jeff, what do you think makes this a classic?
Speaker 2: Well? I think, first and foremost the diamond lane, because people always want to go in the diamond lane, and the idea of picking up a hooker to go with him in the Diamond Lane. That alone sets it up to be a classic. You throw in the whole festival around it, which is jem jem Jem jim. You know, sometimes I watch an episode it's like, oh, I didn't really love that scene. Every single thing surround that premise jem jem jem jam.
Speaker 1: And it also, I think is a very great example of the way the tie ins of an episode, like what you were saying before you see the jacket in the first scene, it's you know, all of that.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I wanted to say. I think I've said this in earlier episodes, an early episode it may have repeated because it's the best analogy that I've ever come up with. And I know very few people listening, although we do have older people who listen. I'm sixty one older than me. But Neat Hiken, who did Bill Coo, You'll never get Rich Bilker and car fifty four is the only other person that ever wrote like Larry and he's a big influence on Larry, and that is on the Tonight Show. There used to be that guy would come out and he'd have dominoes all set up, and he would just click one domino and in all sorts of directions it would curve around the difference, but it would end at the same spot at the end. And that's how Larry net Hike wrote, and that's how Larry wrote, and it writes, and I've never seen anyone else do it before or after.
Speaker 1: And some episodes are more are better examples than others. I think this is, but this one a perfect example of that.
Speaker 2: And like I said, it was such a good example of that, you had three perfect you don't often get it. No, this is one of my favorite episodes because of how good it is.
Speaker 1: And also I think that Kim Whitley, you know as guest star in her turn, added so much to that Natcher.
Speaker 2: But you don't know that, Like I remember back then, I was only one of two or three people that read the outlines. Now the past not quite a few seasons, you've read the outlines as they come out, and I remember thinking, uh, what I imagined wasn't nearly as good as what Kim Whitley did.
Speaker 1: That's my point that, well, that's that shows a great actress that's that ran with it and makes something out of it, and she created the character. I mean, what she was given was a hooker who's but she created the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And Porgey, what a subtle, great performance, you know.
Speaker 1: I agree. I do think that one of the keys to this show is how well cast all these little characters are. The Whoregey just one quick little scene, but perfectly cast.
Speaker 2: I have to say that that's Larry and that's me because I completely agree with him, and I'm on top of it with him that most of the years, because I stopped casting once COVID came along.
Speaker 1: Well, then then we're casting through zoom and it's yes.
Speaker 2: But also I said to Larry and Jeff Schaeffer, the other producer and director, I go, why you have another voice via zoom? I don't get a sense via zoom what's going on? So I bowed out.
Speaker 1: I also think that we suffered a bit in the zoom casting. There have been yes, yes, a couple of things that didn't you know that would have happened if it was in person.
Speaker 2: Kiss But by the way, there's nothing like seeing an audition in person.
Speaker 1: And Larry so everybody knows when casting. Larry used to not anymore because it's all virtual, but he used to do the scene, improvise the scene with people so he could really them.
Speaker 2: By the way, starting in like I think season three or four, she sat in on the casting so you could conceivingly be doing a scene with myself, Larry Sheryl and myself, which has to be weird. If you dig the show.
Speaker 1: You get a better sense of how this but.
Speaker 2: How intimidating for it. I've never auditioned for something where I'm auditioning with the stars of it, but screen tests and stuff you do. But I want it. There's a story. It was the movie with Alec Ball when it Kim Passenger. I think they met on this and it was The Married Man.
Speaker 1: Or something something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I auditioned for it to be one of his past else well, the guy who read with me and knew the stuff was blowing me off screen in the audition, like was so I'm not gonna be here to support you, I'm here to blow you out. He actually ended up getting the part, you know, Yeah, no, it's not I ended up. He's a nice guy. Actually ended up later.
Speaker 1: You've gotten a lot of good parts, so I'm not that concerned.
Speaker 2: You know what, that is that statement. That's a wrap up statement. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: My battery is about to go, so I got.
Speaker 2: It, okay, And thank you for doing this with you next time, and thank you everyone for listening. It's an honor.
Speaker 1: The history of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 6: He can do three