Speaker 1: Pushkin Hey everyone. In honor of Small Business Week, I sat down with Ben Walter, the CEO of Chase for Business. He's also the host of the Unshakables podcast, where small business owners share the defining moments that tested them and how they found a way through at a moment when so much can feel uncertain. We talked about those comforting places that hold steady in a sea of change. Maybe it's a neighborhood market or a family run restaurant, somewhere that feels familiar and keeps you coming back year after year. I find it fascinating how local spots like these seem to carry the history of a neighbor with them, even as the neighborhood itself changes. Recently, Ben sat down with the family behind Borgottis, Ravioli and egg Noodle for his podcast, It's a family run pasta shop that's been on Arthur Avenue in the Bronx for nearly a century. Arthur Avenue, known as the Boroughs Little Italy, has long been a hub for Italian American businesses and culture, But like many neighborhoods in New York and beyond, it's constantly evolving. As longtime residents move out and new communities move in. I wanted to talk to Ben about how a place like Borgottis doesn't just survive, but stays true to itself, how it maintains its character over time, what it holds on too, and where and when it's willing to adapt. I hope this conversation gets you thinking about the special places in your community, the change they've outlasted, and the stories they carry. Okay, here's my conversation with Ben.
Speaker 2: When you meet a business like Borgoeis, you really get a sense of a business that has this larger purpose, both in terms of the role that it has played in the family and the role that it's played in its community. I think it represents sort of a constant in a sea of change. You know, there are families who've been getting their holiday meal from Borgatti's for you know, over fifty years. You have people who remember eating that at you know, at Christmas at their grandmothers fifty years ago, who are still serving the same meal today. And in a world that feels topsy turvy and you know, changing faster than ever, I think that brings a source of comfort to many.
Speaker 1: There's a reason places like Burgottis can feel so emotionally grounding. Familiar environments contribute to our sense of stability. They remind us who we are and where we come from. That can be especially powerful during moments of uncertainty, when our brain is looking for cues that the world is still somewhat predictable. A beloved community business can become one of those stabilizing cues. What elements have endured at borgottis over time, So whether it's recipes or processes or rituals with customers.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's absolutely still the original recipes from I guess the fourth generation's great great grandmother. They still serve many of the original families as customers that they did all those years ago, and they've maintained their absolute commitment to quality. They don't cheap out on the ingredients, they don't short circuit the process. They make them the way that they were always made, with a focus on really quality product to the customer.
Speaker 1: It takes a lot of effort to sustain, like you said, the quality of a business over time, to make sure you're not skimping when it comes to high quality ingredients that you are allowing certain tried and tested processes to remain in place, so a lot of investment involved in keeping an establishment like Burgotti's the same over time. What do you think are some of the biggest threats to businesses like Borgotti's right now?
Speaker 2: Funny enough, the number one threat they as a business haven't faced, but I see clients face it all the time is the threat that no one in the business wants to keep going. Very often it was immigrant families who started the business, and by the third generation, they're just interested in a different life. So they are fortunate to have a really tight knit family that has resisted that. Number two is neighborhoods do shift. While they have been able to compensate for it through their online sales, that has been an issue so that, you know, many of the original Italian American families have moved out of Little Italy in the Bronx, so that the character of the neighborhood has changed. And then finally, there's technology you can get now decent quality ravioli that is high mass manufactured that probably wasn't available when they started their shop, you know, back in nineteen thirty five. Now I still think they serve a superior product and I've had it. It's delicious and it's handmade and it's artisanal, and there is a desire for that. So they've been able to to lean into that angle of it. But like any business, you know, they're facing it. Whether it's a changing character of the neighborhood, a changing character of the technological background, a changing narrative of customer taste. You know, the world changes.
Speaker 1: One of the hardest parts of adapting to change is knowing what to keep as is and what to improve. Flexibility means staying aligned to your deeper values while updating your strategy as circumstances shift. For a small business owner, that might mean holding on to the quality, care, or purpose that drew customers in in the first place, while also being open to new tools, new customers, and new ways of reaching them. That balance between continuity and change is often what resilience looks like. What do you think are some of the magic ingredients that help a business like the stick around for so long.
Speaker 2: The number one is adaptability. It's a willingness to change, but the ones who adapt are the ones who thrive. I would say second is the absolute, unrelenting grit and dedication of the owners. Yeah, it's force of will. I mean these are businesses that have made it through COVID, through the Great Recession, through all of these things, through the Great Depression. In this case, that's frankly been probably the most common trait of the people we've had on our show, and Borgatt's itself is a great example. Their key machine broke down at the most important time of year and they had to figure out what to do. And that's what small business owners do every day, is they just find a way through.
Speaker 1: How did they solve for this problem of the machine breaking down.
Speaker 2: They managed to get it fixed in time, but in the meantime they were doing an awful lot of stuff by hand. You'll have to listen to the episode to get the full details.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we talked about adaptability, we talked about grit, any other traits that you see across companies that somehow find ways to endure.
Speaker 2: The common thing is a commitment to something larger than just this year's profit. If you were to talk to any of the small businesses we have met that have lasted for years and you ask them what the purpose of their business is, none of them would talk about to make money. None of them would talk about their financials. They would all talk about the product or service that they provide, the impact that has on the lives of their customers and their communities. All of them and their brands are all anchored in that. You cannot make a business work without the dollars and cents, but it will not last on dollars and cents only. So whether it's mission driven, you know, we have businesses who are trying to solve an environmental problem, or an energy problem, or a health problem, or businesses like this that are trying to sort of be part of the fabric of the community. The ones who last are very rarely focused on this quarter or even this year beyond sort of the near term need to run the business. They're running something that has a higher purpose, and that higher purpose is very personal. So in the case of Borgatis, it's being part of the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to talk a bit about how a business like Burgottis can contribute to the identity of a community. How do businesses like this one contribute to positive change or growth.
Speaker 2: I think they do it in a few ways. One is they give the neighborhood a sense of place. If you think about that neighborhood you grew up in where there's that place that you always used to go to and it's still there all those years later. That gives the place an anchoring and it gives people confidence to invest in that area. So that's number one. Number two, I would say they support more than just their business. So if you look across the country and survey after survey reveals this, small business owners are some of the most philanthropic people in their local communities. Who sponsors your local softball team, it's the local business in the local community who wants to have both a business and a philanthropic impact at home, and they tend to reinvest directly in their community. So small businesses, they don't just sell locally, they hire locally. Yeah, and that's a self feeding positive loop that helps neighborhoods thrive economically.
Speaker 1: What then, is describing goes beyond economics. Relationships are what transformed a collection of streets and buildings into a neighborhood, and small businesses are where these relationships flourish, where people go to gather and to build trusted friendships. Restaurants like Borgatti's help create a feeling that a place is not simply where you live, but where you belong. What do you think communities lose when these kinds of small businesses disappear, and what role do you think customers community members can play in helping them survive.
Speaker 2: When neighborhoods lose their small businesses, they lose their character. It's that simple. And that doesn't just mean retail stores, by the way. It can be the local law and care shop, it can be the local doctor. Those businesses know their local communities in a way that others can't. They're able to respond to those communities in ways that others can't. And when you lose that, you don't just lose the character, you lose the permanence. There's so much transience in the world today. A little bit of permanence is a healthy counterbalance.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree more. It's definitely a stabilizing force. And it's a long term relationship builder, you know it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I live in a small town outside New York City. I know the dry cleaner personally, I walk in, I hander my stuff. She knows that I don't like starch on my shirts, you know, And that's comforting. And these local communities drive social connection in a way that goes beyond just friends and family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had the former US Surge in General on a slight change of plans who talked about the loneliness epidemic that we're all living through. And there's some really compelling research from the happiness literature showing that it is these small daily interactions with people in our community, not even with our closest friends or our family, that really help boost our sense of belonging. So the conversation with the barista, the small interaction you might have at the laundromat like you were describing, then these are part of the fabric of our everyday lives and they really do have a profound impact on our sets of well being and social lives.
Speaker 2: They do. And you also asked what can customers do. Customers can support their local small businesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, our one of the little local supermarkets was at risk of shutting down. And you do see communities rally, whether it's to keep a local movie theater alive, to keep a small grocery store alive. It's actually a very uplifting thing when you see people say, you know what, we are not willing to let this particular establishment go. We'll do what it takes and it's petitions. It's making sure that they're prioritizing getting their groceries from the small grocery, you know.
Speaker 2: And you know sometimes sometimes that does come at a bit of a price premium, but you give what you pay for.
Speaker 1: If someone's thinking, you know, I want to I want to start something from scratch and I want it to endure for decades to come, what advice would you give to them?
Speaker 2: I would say, first of all, really do your research on what you're going to do and why. Know why you'll be good at it, know why it's important, and why you have that passion for it. It very rarely works if that passion is I want to make a buck, and you need to have a really deep understanding of what the purpose of that business is and why you think you can achieve that purpose. If you have those two things and the grit to drive through my experiences, most places make it.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to my conversation with Ben Walter, the CEO of Chase for Business and host of The Unshakables podcast. You can check out Ben's episode of The Unshakables featuring Borgatti's and an episode we recorded last year. For a slight change of Plans when I talked to Ben about staying resilient in the workplace. We'll link to both episodes in the show notes, and we'll be back next week with another episode of A Slight Change of Plans. I'll see you then. A Slight Change of Plans is created, written, and executive produced by me Maya Schunker. The Slight Change Family includes our showrunner Alexandra Garratin, our editor Daphne Chen, our lead producer Megan Lubin, our associate producer Sonia Gerwit, and our sound engineer Erica Huang. Louis Scara wrote our delightful theme song, and Ginger Smith helped arrange the vocals. A Slight Change of Plans is a production of Pushkin Industries, so big thanks to everyone there, and of course a very special thanks to genuine