Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Board and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The it's a brand new day edition as the Bengals get a badly needed win on Monday Night football, topping the Rams nineteen sixteen. Coming up, you'll hear radio replays, locker room comments from players and coaches, and postgame analysis from Dave Lapham. Then, in this week's fun Facts conversation, we'll hear from a Bengals rookie whose life could be made into a movie. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if that is eventually the case. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by Bengals Picks and Ultimate Bengals. They're free to play with tickets and sign merchandise up for grabs. Find both inside the Bengals app. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Why We Love Baseball. That's the name of a book by former Cincinnati sports writer Joe Posnansky. That's a countdown of fifty memorable moments in baseball history, some famous, some obscure. For example, in nineteen sixty two, as rookie pitcher Gaylord Perry took batting practice, his manager Alvin Dark remarked that we'll have a man on the moon before he hits a home run. Seven years later, exactly thirty four minutes after Neil Armstrong became the first man to walk on the moon, Perry hit the first of his six career home runs. The book is filled with great stories like that, and nobody tells them better than Joe Posnansky. So while this is a Bengals podcast, I think just about any sports fan would enjoy the book Why We Love Baseball. Now, let's get to football and the race me a replays from last night's win. Sports history is filled with memorable stories of great athletes overcoming injuries and illness to triumph.
Speaker 1: The Michael Jordan flu game, Kurt Schilling.
Speaker 2: In his bloody sock, and Tiger Woods winning a US Open on a broken leg. Tonight, Joe Burrow will gut it out and try to lead the Bengals to a badly needed victory despite a nagging calf injury. It's a rematch of Super Bowl fifty six the Bengals and Rams on Monday Night Football, and it is time for the pigskin to fly in the jungle. Stafford sends Nikua in motion, fakes a handoff, looks to throw under pressure and sacked by DJ Rider back at the thirteen yard line to snap the placement and the right footed kick. It is right down the middle and the Rams are on the scoreboard. But they get three seven and take a three to nothing. Leave Money Matt two for four and his field goal attempts this season. He missed from fifty six in the first quarter. This will be a forty nine yard try from the left. Hash Adam might as well snap, Robbins will hold. Here comes, the kick gets on its way and it is good and the Bengals tie it on a forty nine yard field goal by Evan Macpherson. The Rams at their own thirty Stafford back to throw, has to scramble sidearm.
Speaker 3: Throw pick picked off, intercept it at the forty one by Logan Wilson, and the Bengals will start in Rams territory with three point thirty eight left in the half.
Speaker 4: A big assist to Trey Henderson. His pressure caused that interception.
Speaker 1: Here comes the fifty three yard kick.
Speaker 2: It looks like the tray down the middle, and it is good to tie the score. At halftime, the Rams will go empty. Three received right to left, Stafford ready at well, goes in jet motion.
Speaker 1: Stafford to throw.
Speaker 2: Patrickson has him and Saxon at the twenty five. That's the matchup right now, Trey Hendrickson against the backup left tackle Zach Thomas. Sixty one yards on the drive so far. The Bengals started at their own twenty five. They're down to the fourteen of LA, trailing by three. Burrow gives to Mixing, Joe.
Speaker 1: Finds him up the middle. He runs into the end zone.
Speaker 3: Touchdown Bengals, and now he does a jungle jump into the crowd, sitting with the fans after scoring a go ahead touchdown with five point thirty four left in the third quarter.
Speaker 4: It's the first lead of the season for the Cincinnati Bengals. They finally are playing with a.
Speaker 2: League quick snap. Stafford to throw again over the middle, deflected and picked off at the twenty two.
Speaker 3: It was deflected Wilson and picked.
Speaker 1: Off by Logan Wilson.
Speaker 2: Hilton deflected it gets up begins celebrating with his teammates. The Bengals get their second pick, both by Logan Wilson, and have it at the twenty one yard line. First and ten Bengals at their own twenty five. They lead by four four to forty eight left in the third quarter. Now they line up in a pistol formation. They fake a toss to the left. Burrow throws downfield. Chase catches at the fifty, looks for a cutback and gets tackled inside the thirty five. He's brought down at the thirty two by Jordan Fuller forty three yards to Newmero.
Speaker 1: Uno the gadget.
Speaker 4: The gimmick called at a perfect time man. That was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Stafford back to pass again.
Speaker 2: Here comes the rushho nailed by Hendrickson, who is abusing Zack Thomas.
Speaker 1: Hey sack Stafford at the twelve yard line.
Speaker 2: This will be a fifty four yard field goal attempt for Evan McPherson. He's made three field goals so far tonight, one from fifty plus. Here comes the right footed kick. He has the distance.
Speaker 1: It is good money. Mac delivers.
Speaker 2: He's hit from forty eight, forty nine, fifty three and fifty four and the Bengals have a ten point lead nineteen to nine. With seven thirteen to go, Miles Murphy checks in for fresh legs. Stafford back to pass under pressure, sacked Sam Hubbard's got him at the forty yard line for a seven yard sack. The Rams looking for a touchdown to pull within three. At Well goes in motion out to the left. Stafford looking his way, he throws nobody near two two at Well he makes the catch for a Rams touchdown. With sixty three seconds left in regulation, one oh three to go. Maher ready for the on side kick, the Bengals up three. He dribbles it forward, the Bengals recoverent Mitchell Willcox grabbing the ball at the forty six and that is coffin nails.
Speaker 1: Bam bam bam you, sir, Mitchell will Cox. Big play right there.
Speaker 2: Burrow takes the snap, he takes a knee. The Rams cannot stop the clock and the final thirty three seconds will tick down as the Bengals get a desperately needed win and beat the Rams nineteen to sixteen. So let's get to Joe Burrow. He said after the game that his calf started to improve on Friday, and by Sunday he knew he would be able to play, But Jamar Chase says he didn't know his quarterback would play until the pregame warm ups.
Speaker 1: I didn't want him to play for I told him that again after the game.
Speaker 5: I was like, you got nuts, boil.
Speaker 2: I didn't want you to play NALS.
Speaker 1: So I mean, let's just show us that. You know, Joe's part headed, but you know he's a football player, man, and you can't knock him from being tough like that.
Speaker 5: And they don't make too.
Speaker 2: Many quarterbacks toff like that. He said, Oh yeah, man, if you gonna come to practice like that.
Speaker 1: You want to you gonna have that type of work ethicity, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: And it takes a lot to be a quarterback and still play injured.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're gonna rust every play.
Speaker 2: You got a drop every play, So you know he got a lot of balls to be all definitely. Burrow finished twenty six for forty nine for two hundred and fifty nine yards, with no touchdowns, one pick, and a passer rating of fifty nine point eight. Those numbers would have been better if not for some uncharacteristic drops by t Higgins. Most importantly, Burrow said after the game that there were no setbacks and his calf feels much better than it did. After the Baltimore game, Dave Lapham talked to Burrow in the locker room.
Speaker 4: I gotta congratulate you as much as anything. I'm telling you, his former offensive lineman. You inspired me, man, I mean that was an inspirational performance. Toughness, physical, mental, How do you do it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: We got through it. We got through it. That's the game you find through injuries. That's part of it. We gotta get better. I wasn't good enough tonight, but it was good enough to win, good enough to win.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you, man, I mean the leadership that you showed tonight. I mean you lifted your football team by just going out there and doing what you did. I mean, I'm not sure that you have a full I guess you probably do have a full grasp of what you mean to this football team. Was that part of your thought process whether you we're gonna play or not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we needed this one.
Speaker 7: We needed this one. You can't go in three and expect to reach the goals that you want to reach. I know it's a long season, but you start out owing three, it's gonna it's going to sell you back. So we needed this one bad. So I wanted to be out there for my guys.
Speaker 4: I'll give you a stat to back up your comment on that two hundred and fifty one game. Since the Super Bowl era two hundred and fifty one teams have started owing three, six have made the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So it's big.
Speaker 4: This is big now since twenty twenty when they redid the playoff format, one in two teams thirty almost one out of every three make the playoffs.
Speaker 5: This was huge.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't Yeah, we needed it.
Speaker 7: We needed a bad defense stepped up big time. They played really well all night. Oline played really well all night as well. We got a lot to improve on, but it's a good start.
Speaker 4: And finally, was there any point in the game where man suck a jazzed a little bit on me? I mean, or did you did you have to fight through anything like that or how did it go for it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: No, we got through it. We got through it. So I I'm feeling good. It's gonna feel better this week. It's just gonna take time. So we'll take it day by day, and.
Speaker 4: I guess I lied one fund. When you get hit like you did, I was like, man, I was holding my brother. I might come on, Joe, get up, man. I mean that Did you feel anything on that or was that just at another day at the office.
Speaker 7: Another day at the office.
Speaker 1: That's that's football.
Speaker 7: You're gonna get hit. Defense alignement are too good. They're gonna get back there. It's you just gotta take them and move on to the next one.
Speaker 2: The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by Kettering Health, the official health care provider of the Bengals. With more than one hundred and twenty care facilities and fifteen hundred care providers, Kettering Health is committed to fighting you to your best health. Visit ketteringhealth dot org to learn more. The Bengals still have not scored an offensive touchdown in the first half this year, but on their first possession of the second half, they put together a ten plays, seventy five yard drive that ended with Joe Mixon's fourteen yard touchdown run. It gave them a lead they never relinquished. Joe finished with nineteen carries for sixty five yards to help the Bengals avoid zero to three. Joe, how badly did you need this tonight?
Speaker 4: You needed a.
Speaker 8: Bet, you know, as a unit, as a whole team. It was ugly first half, but you know we got it together, came out with the dough. It was the most important.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a.
Speaker 8: Great thing, a great villain and half described the touchdown run. Yeah, man, so pretty much got a double team up to the linebacker and it blocked they will, I hit it backside cut back and just you know, ran a safety and ran into the touchdown.
Speaker 5: What was it mean?
Speaker 2: Everybody in the room that Joe Burrow goutted it out and played.
Speaker 8: I mean, it was a great thing man, to you know, show his grit and you know, his will and want two to pull up with us and to play this here Monday night and come through and deliver.
Speaker 5: So it was a great thing for us.
Speaker 2: Six sacks to take aways for the defense against a really good offense. What'd you think?
Speaker 5: Man? They played their ass off. They played great football.
Speaker 8: All of them guys was hyped up. They was playing with energy and it was all will and want two and I'm just you know, happy to them guys. Was getting to the quarterback and they always looking damn good, so you know, I'm just happy for them.
Speaker 2: It's really hard to come back from zero to three to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: So to get this one, how important is it to the group.
Speaker 5: It was very important.
Speaker 8: We've been in this position before and we didn't got out of it and obviously got on top and real close.
Speaker 5: To the finish line.
Speaker 8: So I think we'll get back as long as, you know, we just keep handling it, handling it one week at a time, one day at a time, just keep going and keep studying, doing all the little things, and I feel like we'll be in a great position.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Is it elation or relief to get the win tonight?
Speaker 5: It was more so.
Speaker 8: We firmly got that first one out of the way, and uh, it's a big si relief and now it's time to you know, get ready for Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Perhaps the biggest key to the win with Cincinnati's pass rush, the Bengals had six sacks and ten quarterback hits. Trey Hendricks said had two of the sacks and two more that were negated by penalties. The Bengals also had a pair of takeaways on interceptions by linebacker Logan Wilson bog proud. Are you of the entire group tonight?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: When we stayed together the entire game and found a way to win. Sometimes it's not always pretty to get wins in this league, and that's a good team. Got a lot of respect for him and at the end of the day, we're fund about to get to win.
Speaker 5: That's the most fun thing.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your interceptions, I promise, But the pass rush sacks a couple that were negated by penalties for pressure rush relentless.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean even there are all my interceptions, there was a tim ball that night, so I was when that most pressure.
Speaker 5: So we were getting after all night. I'm not letting him get comftable, because.
Speaker 6: If you let a quarterback like that get comfortable, he's actually going to pick your apartment.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the interceptions now, you described one. You've had a knack for this throughout your NFL career. I think that's nine picks now, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you got to take the ones that they come to you. And I had two opportunities to make play on the ball and I just ended up making workplace.
Speaker 2: What it means that Joe answered the Bell and played this game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a tough, gutsy performance from our franchise quarterback. You know, he doesn't need to be coming out you're going to do that, but he had the sands, the important on at the end. That's so, this is the type of guy you want leading this team, lead this organization.
Speaker 5: That's why I'm paying the big bucks.
Speaker 2: I'm always hesitant to use the term must win. It's so early in the season, a lot of things can happen, but it's obviously a critically important win.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you always want to get back in the win columb You don't want to go in three you start.
Speaker 5: The season because then your chances obviously.
Speaker 6: Of getting to the playoffs or pretty slim. We understood that, and we kind of view this as a game we needed to win anyway in front of our homecount and they they'd certainly helped the sign.
Speaker 2: The Rams offense was off to a great start this season. To shut them down to that extent, it was a pretty remarkable performance.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean, we had a good game plan all week, best we can practice going in and we were able to execute.
Speaker 5: Grants on the way. Thank you.
Speaker 2: We had to win the Bengals are one and two and a game behind the other three teams in the AFC North Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Cleveland are all two and one. The Ravens and Browns face each other this week in Cleveland. The Steelers have a road game at Houston. Now let's hear from head coach Zach Taylor, who spent a few minutes with Lap after the game.
Speaker 4: Win number one. It's always hardest to get the first one, and you got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're speaking the truth. You know.
Speaker 10: It was like pulling teeth to get this first win. But now that we got that off our back, you're gonna see this team free up. And by the way, we know how to play.
Speaker 4: You got that lead and then you built on the lead. I mean, it's took a while to get that first lead of the season. How different is it calling plays when you're calling plays with the lead.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's nine to day different, you know. And it allows the defense to play a lot free er too. There's not so much pressure on them to give up points and the other team expand on the lead. So I thought in the second half, we had great team effort in all three phases and allowed us to get away.
Speaker 2: With this one.
Speaker 4: What can you say about Joe Burrow? I mean he was inspirational as a former player. I'm like, boy, this dude, I'd follow him anywhere. If he told me to put on a gasoline suit and walk through Hell, I'd do it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we can't take it for granted. You know, a guy playing through an injury like that at the position he is, there's so much mental that goes on and he's got to deal with the physical as well, and so probably that he's our quarterback.
Speaker 4: What about Jamar Chase twelve receptions for one hundred and forty one yards, one short of the team record, a career high for him obviously. How big was Jamar today?
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's tough because they were trying to cloud him and move around with them the whole game, and so we were just finding different ways to get him the ball and he made it paid off for us big time whenever he was going to get his hands in the ball.
Speaker 4: Did the la Rams defensively do anything that you didn't anticipate? Made quick adjustments if they did.
Speaker 10: Yeah, they play a lot of two say if you looks, try to keep things in front, minimize the explosives. Let Aaron Donald go to work. And I thought our offensive line did an outstanding job controlling their front and allowing Joe to have the time to throw the ball.
Speaker 4: I thought both defenses were tough to work against. Aaron Donald, obviously inside is a dominant figure. Trey Hendrickson on the edge, he had four sacks, only two of them counted. Unfortunately there were a couple that were deleted by penalty. But he was given Thomas a real world of problems on that edge.
Speaker 5: He sure was. And Trey had a great game.
Speaker 10: And usually when he's having a great game and these the other guys are doing their job and eating the box as well, and he's finished it off. So really proud of our defense as a whole today.
Speaker 4: The defense third down, they were zero for ten. They go one for eleven because they get a third down on the touchdown, So they were zero for three in the red zone and they get the third down, they're only third down conversion, they're only touchdown on that same play. But that is a dominant performance.
Speaker 5: It sure is.
Speaker 10: You know, when a team can't extend the drives to where they are and they got to be so efficient on first second down, makes it really difficult, and so again our defense did a great job. Lou did a great job mix up the calls, put them in really good positions. That was great to see.
Speaker 4: You had some difficulty on third down because you were facing so many third and ten or more. It was crazy. I mean in the first half all seven of you third down conversions that weren't converted were ten yards or more, and there were some false starts and penalties that created problems for you. There's always things to clean up. That seems to be a big one.
Speaker 10: Yeah, first half we just didn't play good enough. Whether it was penalties, whether it was bad play calls to get us out of rhythm, whether it was drops. We just weren't weren't all on the same page. I thought we'd really cleaned it up and did a much better job than second eighty.
Speaker 4: Joe Mixing all year long, has finished every run. I mean I can't think of a run where he was he's been knocked backwards. I mean, he seems to be running behind his pads and finishing everything.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think Joe's giving us exactly what we need from him and the run in the pass game. So that's been really good to see.
Speaker 4: Coach, Now, have you had a long week and now you have the Monday night game? Have a short week. I'm sure you've got this, this whole thing planned out, but how difficult is a short week of preparation in the National Football League.
Speaker 10: It's challenging for the coaches. You've got to put together plan. But they've already been working on that. So we'll get the players extra day off of the legs here, do a walk through on Wednesday, and get back to full speed on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your time. Congratulations on the big win. Here we go. Now, you guys are known for springing a few together, coach, so we're expected it.
Speaker 1: That's what we're going on the other man.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: The Bengals Booth podcast is brought to you by pay Corps. More than twenty nine thousand customers trust pay Corps to help them recruit, pay, engage, and retain employees. Learn more at paycorps dot com. Now time for the radio guys recap lap Last Monday night, the Steelers beat the Browns because of Pittsburgh's defense, they scored a couple of touchdowns. The offense really didn't do much. They didn't have to The Bengals offense was better tonight then the Steelers offense was last week. But the defense won this game.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt. I mean when you look at some of the critical stats. I mean, they were zero for ten on their first ten third downs. They converted one and it happened to be the touchdown at the end of the football game. So they get a third down conversion. They get their only red zone touchdown on the same play. So three possessions before that, three field goals, one for four in the red zone, one for eleven on third down? Are you kidding me? Against the team that came into the league. It came into the game second in the league, and third down percentage, I mean, it's crazy. The Bengals defense definitely stepped up and said, we've got a quarterback that's sucking it up. He's inspirational, we're inspired. We're going to play inspired, and they did.
Speaker 2: The forty nine Ers have a great defense. The Rams went up and down the field against San Francisco last week. Now San fran ultimately won the game by seven, but it wasn't because the forty nine Ers defense dominated. It was because the offense was great, whereas the Bengals were able to do a much better job against that Rams offense than even the great forty nine Ers defense did.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, they controlled the ground game that wasn't an issue. And then they teed off on Stafford, I mean teed off on him, and lu An Arumo was at his doctor defense best. I mean he had seven guys at times in the box and Staffords seeing ghost, who's coming, who's not, you know, simulated pressures and it was it was remarkable. And then you had Trey Henderson just dominating Thomas. Thomas is gonna have nightmares TONI when he closes his eyes, he's going to see ninety one blown by him up the football field, tom So. And then you know, others did their job as well. I mean, Trey was a huge factor. He was the initial pressure guy, and other guys were in the lanes they were supposed to be in. Sam Hard got his sack and other guys, you know, get pressures as well. But Matthew Stafford was not comfortable. They made him get off his spot and he was very inaccurate, and he came into the league, into the game, I should say, top five in the league in attempts completions, and yards, and tonight wasn't like that.
Speaker 2: At six ZHO two tonight, Joe Burrow walked out of the tunnel onto the field a little more than two hours before kickoff. He sat down on the bench. Jamar Chase sat down next to him. Jamar said he didn't know at that point whether Joe was going to play or not, and Jamar told him not to. He continues to insist that he just wants Joe to take however much time is needed to fully recover. Well, Joe Burrow was going to do that. If he could walk tonight without excruciating pain, he was going to play. And I think, with the possible exception of Jamar Chase, everybody else in that locker room really was wowed by the fact that he would gut it out and do whatever was necessary to win this game.
Speaker 5: I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think his offensive line was inspired, the defense was inspired, and Jamar had twelve catchers one hundred and forty one yards, So he ended up the beneficiary of some pretty good stuff. He came with an impersonal high, obviously, and came within one of tying the franchise record of thirteen by Carl Pickens. So and I did get a chance to talk to Joe after the game, and he said, none worse for the wear, but still have work to do. I mean physically. You know, he's not done with the rehab or anything. Obviously, he's never said he's one hundred percent, so he hasn't been one hundred percent. But for him to go out there and do what he did. I told him, man, when you got smashed, I was holding my breath a little bit. He goes, you know that happens. It's the National Football League. Guys are gonna guys are gonna hit you. But he, uh, he is a courageous dude.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: He's one tough ombre physically and mentally.
Speaker 2: If the Bengals and Rams don't meet in the Super Bowl, the Bengals might never have to see Aaron Donald again, which the offensive line would appreciate.
Speaker 4: That dude is just a game wrecker. There's no other way to put it. He is a human bowling ball. You know, I thought, Okay, run at him because a lot of times he's given that first step quickness thing and if you kind of run on him, if he guesses wrong, you can gash him. But he was knocking people backwards I mean, you know, he's six feet tall and he's two hundred and eighty pounds. I mean, it's ridiculous. He is a fire hydrant that has extreme short space quickness. He is a genetic rarity. There is no question about that. And you know we talk all the time in the offensive and defensive line about leverage pad level. He's automatically. You have to come out in your hands and knees to get under his pads. And he's so strong and powerful and explosive. He's got that low pad level. Then all that other stuff to follow that is a that is a task, that's a tall order blocking that.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask you a question I asked Joe Mixon. Is the emotion tonight elation or relief?
Speaker 5: That's a damn good question.
Speaker 4: I think it's both, you know, I do think I think elation. You know, it's hard to win in the NFL, no matter who you're playing. As we saw, there's some huge upsets this week. I mean, who expected the Jaguars to get handled? Who expected Denver to give up seventy points and and twenty six yards? I mean, there were some crazy things that took place and Denver's defense could go out next week and play like a top five defense, like I think they really are. So you just never know. So you take victories, you never take them for granted. So there's some relief there, but I think there's elation as well.
Speaker 2: One of those upsets yesterday was also the Colts over the Ravens in Baltimore, and Matt Gay was the hero with four field goals of fifty three plus. Evan McPherson didn't do that, but he didn't miss that by much. Forty eight, forty nine, fifty three, fifty four and a miss from fifty six. I guess it was. I mean, we take his greatness for granted. A forty eight yard field goal for him seems like a twenty two yard field goal for most kickers.
Speaker 4: It is incredible. I mean, the fifty six yarder had plenty. He just you know, overcooked it a little bit, just pulled it slightly and it hooked. It hooked wide left. But man, this guy, when he when he strikes the ball, it's like his his leg speed is incredible and I don't know how he doesn't dislocate his leg from his hip when he swings, swings as hard as he swings all the time, but he is he is a unique and special talent. And you know what a weapon when you have somebody like that that you know, you know, just like Baltimore experiences, when you have great kickers and you know it's going to come down to a potential game winner, and all you have to do is, you know, get the ball to the forty yard line, maybe even the forty five. You might still have a shot. I mean that that is ridiculous that that gives you. And defensively, it changes the whole dynamic how you have to play defense. I mean literally, I mean he's as big a game changer as a kicker as Aaron Donald is as a defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: The sun is shining after the first win of the year. There's only one undefeated team left in the AFC. That's Miami. The Bengals are a game behind the first place team in their division. It's amazing what one victory does for the collective mindset of the team.
Speaker 4: It really is. I mean, we talked about it before the game. If the Bengals had gone oh to three since the Super Bowl era, I think it's two hundred and fifty three times or whatever it is. Teams had started oh to three and only six had gone to the playoffs. Now with the one and two records, the playoff format changed in twenty twenty. Almost one out of every three is going to the playoffs with a one and two record over thirty percent. So this one was important and they got it up.
Speaker 2: Next to road game against the one and two Tennessee Titans, who lost to Cleveland on Sunday twenty seven to three. The Titans had a total of ninety four offensive yards in that game. They had more punts seven than first downs six. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by Alta Fiber, future proof fiber Internet capable of delivering multi gigabit speeds designed to take your home, business, and community to a new level. Elevate your connection with Alta Fiber. Now time for this week's fun fact segment, where you get to know the person under the pads. Time for some fun facts with running back Chase Brown. You are from Canada, London, Ontario, specifically roughly the same distance from Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo. Is there anything unique to Canada that you miss when you're in the US.
Speaker 9: The food you know you have moms cooking, but also like Canadian signatures like poutine. You know, there's a couple other things that come to mind, like an elephant here. It's just like this sweet, sugary kind of deep fried thing. But just a little stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You have a twin brother, Sydney, and you are mirror twins. I am familiar with identical twins. Is there a difference?
Speaker 9: So we're identical visually, but we're mirrored in different ways.
Speaker 5: Like he writes with his he's.
Speaker 9: Right hand dominant. I'm left hand dominant. You know my mom of going in the detail of our hair curling opposite ways, and just just kind of think of it along the lines of that we do things opposite fascinating.
Speaker 2: It's a term I had never heard. Says Sydney is a great athlete. He's playing for the philadel Via Eagles. How much did the two of you push each other growing up.
Speaker 9: Every single day, whether there's a practice even in the classroom sometimes, but just having somebody that has the same goal, same mindset, in the same standard, it's hard not to live up to your fullest being pushed your fullest on a daily basis. So having him was definitely the reason why I'm sitting here today.
Speaker 2: We're doing fun facts with Chase Brown. London, Ontario is a hockey town, but you too obviously gravitated toward football. What's you football like in London, Ontario?
Speaker 9: It's growing. When we were playing, it wasn't the biggest thing. It was kind of like a secondary sport for most kids during the fall, but you know, starting to turn more into a primary sport where kids are motivated to play professionally and take the sport as far as I can.
Speaker 2: CFL rules or American Football.
Speaker 9: Rules, American football rules when you're young, as soon as you're at the high school, that's where those CFL rules start kicking in.
Speaker 2: Your life. Story could be a movie and maybe it will be someday. There were periods of poverty, there was illness, there was drug addiction in the family. Did it feel hopeless at any point?
Speaker 5: You don't know.
Speaker 9: Always been highly motivated no matter the situation, and just having my brother, you know, building that connection with each other, just knowing right from wrong and you know, stearing each other in the right direction. Not once did it feel hopeless. Was I worry about my family? Of course, like that's I think that's a normal emotion. But uh, you know, I think to get to where we ended up, it had a lot to do with our mindset and just ignoring the outside noise and the situation I was there in front of us and just seeing it through every single time.
Speaker 2: What was the low point?
Speaker 9: I would probably say when my mom got sick, that was probably the lowest point. We were still in Canada, rough situation going on at home, but at the end of the day, we always had football and I was a way to get away from that and keep ourselves focused.
Speaker 2: So at the age of sixteen, your mom drove you and your brother to Florida. Yeah, you started playing football at a prep school, started attending that prep school. How did it change your life?
Speaker 9: Oh, my gosh, it's just in so many, so many different ways. First of all academically. Second of all, you know, we started building it like a routine that is honestly that we keep doing to this day. You know, just staying on top of everything, prioritizing your work, being organized, just just little things that we didn't have before going down there, and just thinking about how those just those little skills developed into big time skills in our life.
Speaker 5: Especially with the careers that we're in right now.
Speaker 2: You lived in the host family. Describe that experience.
Speaker 5: Weird at first. I mean, you barely know them.
Speaker 9: You're trying to grasp a fuel fill them on a daily basis, and then you just start clicking, and you know, it feels like you're at home. You start getting less and less homesick, and you know, we we became really close with the Yates family, and we still talked to them on daily basis to this day. They follow both of us closely, and you know, love them to death. But great people. I just I just can't even imagine from there there and you know, just inviting two sixteen year old boys to come live with them to you know, study and.
Speaker 5: Play football high school boys. So I just I just can't imagine what they were thinking we're doing.
Speaker 2: Friend facts from Chase Brown. Your prep school team didn't lose a game in two years, and you and her brother got Division one scholarship offers and eventually wound up together at Illinois. But you started out at Western Michigan with the dream of becoming a pilot. Correct.
Speaker 5: That was it.
Speaker 9: I want to be a pilot. And that's honestly almost all I cared about the moment. I was so focused on getting the best of both worlds, and that was the flight school number one, and then playing Division on football number two, and that kind of swapped once I got there.
Speaker 5: You just realized why.
Speaker 9: I realized quickly that the flight thing wasn't really gonna happen, and then football was my main priority. And then in the back of my head, you know, why why do that without my brother?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 9: And you know, I eventually put my name in the portal end up Illinois and the kind of the rest is history. We got back in the routine of pushing each other every single day, and it just transfer the football field.
Speaker 2: You had a tremendous career with a fighting a Lina. You were fourth in the nation in rushing yards last year. What was the highlight of your college experience?
Speaker 5: Winning?
Speaker 9: I mean, we we put together a good season that that the city, the school, the community extremely excited for kind of like what we have going on here.
Speaker 5: Just you know, you you once you start winning games, you.
Speaker 9: Know, you you give something the people to care about, right, And that was that was the biggest highlight, is you know, just doing my best for that university all four years I was there and just leaving feeling like, you know, I left the place better than it was when I first got there.
Speaker 2: You and your brother were both selected in this year's NFL Draft. Sydney went in the third round of Philly. He went in the fifth round of Cincinnati. Described the draft experience.
Speaker 9: Stressful, and then seeing my brother go on day two and then having to wait and kind of figure out where I was gonna go. I mean, it's just like an instant wait off your shoulders and you can start to visualize where you're gonna be and who you're gonna be around as far as teammates.
Speaker 5: And I was extremely excited as.
Speaker 9: Soon as I got my name called, and you know, I got to celebrate that with my brother and you know the rest of my family. It will be a moment I remember.
Speaker 5: The rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Time for some wild card topics now with Chase Brown. Do you have any hidden talents I can juggle?
Speaker 9: I mean, I don't know if there's a hidden talent I can cook. Yeah, I'd say juggling and cooking, and probably my secret talents that go on outside of the facility.
Speaker 2: How many objects can you juggle?
Speaker 5: Three?
Speaker 9: I'm not like a circus person. But you know, three is impressive enough to me.
Speaker 2: That's three more than I can juggle. What are you terrible at laundry?
Speaker 9: Probably I'm kind of just I throw everything in at once and then reap the results of that.
Speaker 2: So I would say laundry, separate those whites and those colors.
Speaker 5: Yup. You need to get better at that.
Speaker 2: What is the biggest misconception that Americans have about Canada?
Speaker 5: We don't live in igloos.
Speaker 9: Number one, the accent isn't as crazy as people make it sound down here. And number three, everybody's super nice, but majority of people I us.
Speaker 2: Do you have any tattoos, and if so, what's the most meaningful.
Speaker 9: I have a few tattoos. The most meaningful probably the ones on my shoulders. It's my mom's birthday and my grandma's birthday, just to women that are extremely important to me, and just having that tattooed on me is something that I want to do for them.
Speaker 2: Final fun fact for Chase Brown. This one's a little bit deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, athlete, entertainer, statesmen, whoever it might be, who would that person be?
Speaker 9: I would probably say, just as far as mindset and competitive attitude, it's a Kobe Bryant. He's you know, beast on the court, but his mindset is really what's separating from others.
Speaker 2: So do you try to the mama mentality.
Speaker 9: In some whereas Yeah, like definitely focused. I'm pretty serious, dude, I guess when it comes to work, so uh yeah, and.
Speaker 5: With the work environment for shore, It's.
Speaker 2: Great to have you here in Cincinnati. Best of luck the rest of the year, and thanks for the time.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by Bengals Picks and Ultimate Bengals. They're free to play with tickets and signed merchandise up for grabs by pay Core, the official HR software provider of the Bengals, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet elevate your connection with Alta Fiber, and by Kettering Health, the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for listening to the Bengals Booth podcast