Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid Verbo. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for dake Edo State?
Speaker 2: Is that whoo whoom? And then and Tye, welcome back to the solid burble boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand joining me over there in Bruton.
Speaker 1: Now where are you? Where are you? I'm in South Florida right now, South Florida.
Speaker 2: Are you trying out to play quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes.
Speaker 1: Everybody has a shot down here, Tyler. Everybody that has an ability to take a snap and to propel the ball forward with any of their available limbs has a shot. Are you prepared?
Speaker 2: We didn't play in this out in advance, but as we get through some of our bowlrycaps from non playoff bulls, are you prepared to do the dramatic drive chart reading for the Miami La Tech?
Speaker 1: Ty It's what our training has led us. Okay, Okay, just make me sure fair to say that I am not prepared to talk about the most disastrous offensive performance of the bowl season.
Speaker 2: So yes, Tye, this is the postseason for me too. Well, welcome one. Welcome all, thank you for stopping on.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: I am ty he is Dan. This is the Solid Verbal. We will be podcasting all throughout the rest of bull season, all throughout all the off season. All you got to do is go to our website at solidverbal dot com. That's where you can subscribe. You can subscribe on any podcasting app whatever you're into, look for the Solid Verbal. You can also find us across various social channels and if you want to continue the conversation long after the podcast is over, you can go out to solid verbal dot reddit dot com. It is a teaming community, ever Ballers, started by Verballers and for Verballers. Dan so on today's show, as you know, this is sort of in the wake of the college football playoffs. Both games were played yesterday, so we're going to go through those at the very top of the show. We're also going to recap a bunch of the other bowl action that has been going on since we last spoke.
Speaker 1: And I believe we have five other.
Speaker 2: Games on like a Bowl Mini Barge that we need to address before we part ways here.
Speaker 1: The Tug Bowl. Oh, that sounds weird. That sounds very weird. Not crazy about it, but I think we stick with it. Yeah, I think we start with the big stuff up front. I mean, this is college football. It's all big stuff. But let's start with the playoff. And I know you have a number of thoughts. Let's go through all of the action. I believe it's the Gasparilla Bowl was where we left off recapping. We have those few games that opening Saturday, but we have not recapped since because I've been on the road, You've been busy with the holidays, and we wanted some time to breathe. But we've got a lot to rifle through, a lot to rifle through.
Speaker 2: So let's start at the very top here with number one LSU and number four Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: This was a game you might remember, point spread about fourteen points. I think when we previewed it it was a little bit less than that. We both said, Wow, that seems soon. That seems like a lot of points for a really good, really good Oklahoma team with a solid off. It's been of a questionable defense, but nonetheless they can they can put up points.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Final score here LSU sixty three, Oklahoma twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, like I generally like to avoid just reading off stats and calling that a game recap because our fans are smart enough that they can go out to a box score and read a game cap and figure it out on their own. But I just have to read some of these stats if you could let me. Joe Burrow twenty nine of thirty nine for ninety three and seven touchdowns. Seven touchdowns, mind you, in the first fricking half. Yeah, yeah, that's passing touchdowns. By the way, he threw it in a one on the ground for good measure early in the second half. That's right, seven passing touchdowns he was responsible for eight because of the rushing touchdown. Four of his passing touchdowns went to Justin Jefferson, who also had a monster game with fourteen grabs for two hundred and twenty seven yards. There were only two LSU drives that did not result in points. One was a punt on their second drive, the other was a missed field goal. Dan just an incredible offensive showing by LSU. I don't know if they made it to seven hundred yards. It felt like one hundred and seventeen million yards in this game. Yeah, but wow, what a showing. You've somehow sold LSU's performance. I know and that's the thing that's such go ahead, continue, But that is such a good point.
Speaker 1: It's it was in an credible watch, and it almost wasn't surprising. It was surprising that they won by so many in that Oklahoma was just unable to respond within any sort of consistency. They did get what it was seven all the long past to ceedee Lamb gets them down to the three. Kennedy Brooks punches it in after Lsu. I think it was a three play opening drive with a short field. Yep. What Lsu was able to do, it almost reminded me a little bit of and I don't know how much you watched, like when Steph Curry was at Davidson Sure playing like Georgetown Wisconsin. We're like, you knew what was about to happen, you knew that there was very little you could do. You just sort of had to hope to weather it and do your own thing at the same time. And even still even knowing what was you know, there's a storm common even still, what LSU was able to do was so unbelievable on a stage like this. Granted Oklahoma's defense with its own struggles and even with some improvement in the Big twelve. Obviously personnel wise, you know, they lose a corner to talk marketing, it's just the depth wasn't there, The talent wasn't there. Obviously the suspension's hurt as well up front. But what LSU was able to do, and granted they have a Blitnikoff Award winner who was largely held in check, and it doesn't matter because Thad Moss, Terris Marshall and obviously Justin Jefferson counting off the touchdowns in the end zone as he's scoring them is more than enough. And it also be relatively easy to overlook the fact that Clyde Edwards Hilaire makes no difference in this game because of hamstring injury. Chris Curry does a nice job, especially in the second half stepping in. It was Davis Price as well got some carries that didn't matter. That the depth of what LSU was able to do and what you can only do, I guess in terms of praying against Joe Burrow, like this is a conversation we'll have ahead of the National Championship game. But all you can do to defend Joe Burrow and this passing attack and these receives and these coordinators is hope for drops because if you're flushed, if you flesh him out of the pocket, he might even be better. If you try to confuse him, it probably won't work. If you give him time and can't generate a pass rush, that's it. That's it for LSU and your hopes against them. I just I came away so thoroughly impressed with the fact that they just continue to get better, the fact that the defense put constant pressure on Jalen Hurts in this Oklahoma offense, which when you have to keep up with LSU and your defense isn't able to do its job, Oklahoma's offense had to had to do something beyond perfection to hang with LSU, and they were underwhelming. That's nowhere near good enough. I'm glad you brought that up. So two things.
Speaker 2: First off, you're right the box score only tells part of the story. Yeah, it felt like an even bigger mismatch somehow watching the game live. And secondly, on the point of the defense, the LSU defense continued. I think it's upward trajectory. They've gotten better throughout the course of the year, and granted this was a runaway train. This game was a runaway train. But the defense I thought did a superb job here against one of the better offenses in the country. I sort of half expected a late surge from Oklahoma where they'd come back, maybe not to win the game, but to try and challenge the point spread, because that's what some of us, our friends in the desert might care about.
Speaker 1: Misrepresent the final score to.
Speaker 2: Be up forty nine to fourteen at half, as LSU was, and maintain that intensity, maintain just that composure. That's a hard thing to do. That speaks to character, that speaks to coaching, that speaks to whatever the hell magic potion edwar Zaran has found this year. Because they were really good, and I think that's going to be completely glossed over because of the offensive output, yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: At one point, Jalen Hurts was four of fifteen, I think deep into the first half, as Joe Burrow had more touchdown passes than Jalen Hurts had completions. You had that weird segue, what was it, Sean McDonough And who's the analyst for this game? Blackledge? Yeah, it was Todd Blacklish talking about like, well, Jalen Hurts is a pretty good shot of succeeding the NFL thanks to what Lamar Jackson has done in opening doors for dual threats and forming NFL. No, Jalen Hurts wasn't doing it against LSU. The NFL is harder. The NFL is harder than LSU. You had that weird sort of aside in the game, and obviously the incomprehensible, incomprehensibly tragic element with Carly McCord Steve Ensminger, the LSU offensive coordinators daughter in law in that plane crash. And you know this is not I'm not positioning this as like overcoming the adversity of what Steve Ensminger did. It's just I can't imagine the emotion going through him. The fact that he was even able to be in the stadium is brutal. I can't I can't even wrap my head around how awful everything you know, as a as a story happening on the same day. I just so so awful. So that was tough. That was an incredible story with LSU moving on to the National championship, putting a punctuation on just an incredible season. But man, the clouds over LSU's day were crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thoughts terrific thoughts out to the Enspinger family. That's a tough one to hear that news shortly before kickoff on our way to the gaming list, which is just brutal. But LSU does win in resounding fashion sixty three to twenty eight in your first playoff semi final. Obviously set a whole bunch of Peach Bowl records winning that football game. So with that being said, LSU punched its ticket. They are installed, I believe early as a five or five and a half point favorite over the Clempson Tigers. Wow, Clemson will be going back to the National Championship game to defend their title. They won semi final number two out at the Fiesta Bowl by twenty nine to twenty three margin. This is a fun game through and through. Ohio State jumps out to an early sixteen to nothing lead, and I thought looked really really good, felt like they had a good handle on this game. Yeah, But nonetheless, Clemson comes back. They make it sixteen to fourteen at half, goes to twenty one to sixteen I believe midway through the third quarter, back and forth the rest of the way, Clemson scores with about two minutes left to go up twenty nine to twenty three, and Ohio State had a shot. Dan They really truly had a shot to win it. But Chris Olave breaks off his roote.
Speaker 1: I think o'lave came back to he thought Fields was scrambling, so he tried to peel back to help block.
Speaker 2: Justin Fields is looking for the post, Nolan Turner was looking for the interception and the end of the game. Effectively, he falls on the ball in the end zone and Clemson marches on Dan Out's standing game all around.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts here? How do you feel?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have so many? First of all, let's start with you talk about Ohio State going up sixteen nothing with an asterisk in that it felt like it was thirty one nothing. It did it felt like you have incredible play from JK. Dobbins with was Dann here seventy yard It was on the first play of a drive, right, a seventy yard touchdown run, and it sort of underscored the element of JK. Dobbins where I was trying to think about what like a real life comparison would be and trying to figure out how to deal with JK. Dobbins in the open field, and all I could come back with was like if there were a runaway jukebox coming down a hill at you and you somehow had to tackle it and stop it dead in its tracks. I just JK. Dobbins is that incredible of a player, and the explosive, the explosive plays in this game came to define the outcome, you know, along with some other things. So Ohio State, you know, he has the drop. JK. Dobbins has the drop on a screen. He has the pass that ultimately hits the ground that looked like it was in the immediate aftermath of touchdown but ruled an incomplete pass. I'm sure Ohio State fans, with all of their emotions saw that and said, even with how good they've been, how great they've been, how good they've been in the second halves of games, you know, against Wisconsin both times really pouring it on, and Clemson's a different animal that you see those missed opportunities, and I remember, you know, having the same emotion with Oregon both against Ohio State and the National Championship game early on with missed opportunities, and even Auburn this season, we're like I understand that they have the lead, but they need every ounce, they need nose to tail success against a team like Clemson that you can't leave points like that on the field, And so I imagine the trepidation and fear in the hearts of Ohio State fans at that point, even still, even with the momentum if you believe in it, changing run from Trevor Lawrence before the half, another seventy yard run which is just incredible, incredible, even with that, even with it was Travis Cten. It was a long screen pass to take the third quarter. Yes, even with that, even with what's his name, Sean Wade getting ejected for and no Ohio State or Clemson fan will be happy, no matter how anybody discusses this targeting penalty and ejection. Even with that, which I felt was sort of a letter call but not a spirit call, if that makes any sense, says Trevor Lawrence was sort of ducking his head, and I didn't feel like Wade was launching himself maliciously in the way that like Oklahoma's corner was ejected for that for the hit he had on Clyde Edwards Hilaire. Even with that, even with the fumble return for a touchdown that's called back and god, it kind of looked like a cat. We're gonna have to talk about that one. We will got more detail. Even with that, even with with Clemson driving the field like they did for that, it was a go ahead touchdown with what a couple minutes left in the game. Even with all of that, I'm not saying going against Ohio State, but even having to overcome a number of things that set Ohio State back from where they thought they should be. Whio State was in this game, Ohio State had the opportunity, had the ball in their hands. You mentioned the play at the end of the game, the interception, but I thought it was just a remarkable comeback from Clemson going down like they did and coming out as listless. You know, just the passing game seemed off. They really didn't seem to be getting Travis etn involved t Higgins leaves for a wide stretch of this game. Even with all of that, For Clemson to come back like they did, for Ohio State to adjust like they did, even though the second half wasn't great offensively for the buck Eyes, I thought it was just an unbelievable watch it was a great TV show perspective.
Speaker 2: A great game, and especially given the fact that so many of these semi finals of not being competitive, this one did not all fit that mold. Two things, Yeah, two things that jump out at me. Ohio State with just nine points in four trips to the red zone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Okay, that's a. You can't do it against these excellents. No, just can. And B. I thought Ohio State's defense was really good. For the most part.
Speaker 2: It seemed like Clemson receivers were having difficulty for the majority of this game getting open, but there were a couple big plays that were killer. Credit to our friends over at eleven Warriors for these stats.
Speaker 1: Listen to them.
Speaker 2: Five passes of more than twenty yards, four runs of more than ten yards, and three touchdowns three touchdowns of thirty or more yards. You'll remember, going to the season when Ryan Day took over one of the things they were trying to fix on defense. They gave up way too many explosion plays a year ago, and that seemed to be fixed for the majority of the season until last night. Last night, Clempton was able to take advantage some of those big explosion plays, and I think that was ultimately what ended up making the difference here. Let's go back to that controversial call late in the third quarter. So if you didn't see it, I'm sure you can find it on YouTube or somewhere out there in the interwebs. But justin Ross for Clemson appears to catch a ball and fumble it. That's how it was ruled on the field led to a scoop and score for Ohio State. But then they took another look at it. They overturned it, saying that he did not complete the process of the catch. I I don't know, Like I was trying to listen to the explanation from the TV ref I forget his name, right, and he was basically saying that, look, a lot of these calls are banged, banged, They're going to look so much different in slow motion than in real time, and.
Speaker 1: Which is true, which is thank you, captain obvious. I get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's sort of the point, right, You can't really use that logic when every other review, literally every other review throughout the course of this game, in every game, relies heavily on slow motion, right, So I'm with John Legend and his angry tweets on this one, Dan oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't see this. What did he say?
Speaker 2: He said he took three steps with the ball. He took three steps he did. It would seem like that constitutes possession and it should have been ruled a scoop and score for Ohio State. Nonetheless, the drive ends with a Clemson punt. On the ensuing possession, Ohio State gets it back, they throw a pick, and just another one of those things that could have gone Ohio State's way didn't. Clemson was ultimately able to capitalize in all the important ways and they march on to the championship game.
Speaker 1: We probably need to have a sub when we did, like a breakoff show, maybe about Isaiah Simmons by the way, Oh yeah, everywhere he lined up for Clemson's defense. And granted, I just didn't watch a lot of Clemson this year. I watched Clemson while games were close, but I'm not watching you know, a full half of garbage time against you know, wake Er Austin College, so you know, he doesn't really get to display what he does against great teams when Clemson just plays in a conference without that many great teams. What he was able to do playing center field, playing against slot dudes, filling run fits whatever. He is an incredible, incredible player.
Speaker 2: And I was watching this game with my cousin and a close friend, both of whom were less familiar with Isaiah Simmons' body of work. Sure, and I was just pointing out that as the Giants fan in the room, or one of two Giants fans in the room, yeah, Isaiah Simmons would fit real nice. Where would he fit real nice?
Speaker 1: Said?
Speaker 2: Just about anywhere. You could play him pretty much anywhere you won at all three levels of the defense. And in this game he had the interception. You could see him out there as like a nickel corner. He was playing safety linebacker and saw his hand on the ground a couple times. So he's a versatile modern defender who's going to go very high in the draft and will no doubt be a terror for LSU trying to game play around him. I don't know how much it matters because the LSU offense is so good, but that is a topic for another day.
Speaker 1: Even on those long Ohio State runs, it was Isaiah Simmons passing the Clemson DBS, fast dudes passing them in the open field. Yeah, hopelessly trying to catch JK. Dobbins, who happens to be just another ten yards. He catches Dobbins of course. Yeah, Chad Smith has a monster game. The linebacking corp for Clemson in general was terrific. And you know, you hear coaches ahead of games like this, you know it's come down to you know, who wins the turnover battle. We got to generate takeaways, blah blah blah, all true, all important. The chunk plays I feel like decided this game for better and war for better and for worse. Justin Field's downfield was fine. Uh, he didn't use his legs a lot, but when he did a couple of times it worked out really well. But it was Chris o'lave, it was Austin Mack, it was kJ Hill not really getting down down field to open up the offense that ultimately I think was a pretty huge fact or for Ohio State, not you know, pouring it on in the second half the end with just that that late touchdown in the fourth quarter, so a really incredible watch, and I just I came away needing to come down. It was that midnight Eastern when this game ended, and I just needed to take a few breaths. I just needed I needed a second, like, okay, all right, all right, it's over. So now we get an all Tiger national championship. I like the Tigers here.
Speaker 2: So yeah, LSU minus five against Clemson. Yeah, that's how it looks right now in your college football playoff national championship game. Clemson takes advantage of big plays. Ohio State had it, they had it, they had opportunities, but they were not able to capitalize.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they made themselves. By the way, I mentioned Clemson doing good job against Ohio State's receivers preventing downfield activity. Clemson's receivers terrific receivers. T Higgins goes out didn't open. They couldn't get open. They couldn't get going downfield either. They relied on those two basically huge, huge plays from Trevor Lawrence and travistn Etn on his screen and Lawrence on the ground. And I thought Trevor Lawrence, by the way, and we see a lot of these offenses that are built around the threat of a quarterback run justin fields didn't keep it as much. I think he had what thirteen or fourteen carries ultimately, but that includes sacks. What Trevor Lawrence was able to do on the ground, you know, getting eight yards on first and ten, whatever it is, it was a breath of fresh air sometimes when we see sometimes quarterbacks tighten up or told not to run it or choose not to keep it when they probably should. Trevor Lawrence just giving everything for this game, along with justin fields. But to see what he was able to do to propel this team, not just with his arm but with his legs was damn wow. He's good. He's good.
Speaker 2: So he's going to get another crack at a national championship. That game will be played on what January BA BA.
Speaker 1: Thirteenth, something like that, a couple of weeks away.
Speaker 2: We will preview that game in the next couple shows elsewhere. If we could, Dan, could we travel back in time for a second. But b it a bunch of bowl games here that we want to leaf through give you results and any instant feedback. We won't go into it with the same level of depth, obviously, but let's start with the bad boy Mowers Gaspa Ria Bowl, Dan Gasparella, Yeah, UCF forty eight, Marshall twenty five, I don't have thoughts.
Speaker 1: We said it looked like a mismatch. It turned out it was a mismatch. Yeah, it was a really nice performance from from Dylan Gabriel, something we've come to expect. That were good on the ground. It was a complete offensive performance. Marlon Williams was really nice through the air. I rifled through this game very quickly, but I had I think this was a forty one er. This was my most confident outcome and it came true. So nice. Nice double digit cap including the postseason to a somewhat impressive season, especially given the promise of Dylan Gabriel moving forward.
Speaker 2: In the SOFI Hawaii Bowl Hawaii thirty eight BYU thirty four, Cole MacDonald four touchdowns, nice showing on Christmas Eve had one of those touchdown passes with about a minute left to grab the win. So nice hometown triumph for the Hawaii squad.
Speaker 1: In Hawaii's fifteenth game of the season. Correct. Yeah, Nick Rolovich has done a wonderful job in Honolulu with Hawaii. Cole MacDonald continues to impress. A fun game, a fun back and forth. Loved watching what I saw quickly.
Speaker 2: All right, get ready for it. The Walkuns Independence Bowl. Your final here was Louisiana Tech fourteen, Miami zero, Goosegg neil Nada. Casey needed any confirmation that Miami just wanted to get this whole thing over with. Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me the drive charts, so well, before I go into the drive chart, just one, Danny nos was summarily said, yeah, we're good, We're good, after your The phrasing that has been used in a couple of different places of it's sometimes mutually agreed to part ways, sometimes will not be retained. But there was something like very funny if I can use that word about being relieved of his duties as if he's being asked to give his badge in Detective Nos right right, please give us. It was a nightmare, a nightmare and offense for Miami, which is nothing really new, given how the Canes finished out the year. And I guess a nice enough performance on defense from Miami. Shaq Quorterman I think started his like fifty second game for Miami. See a number of the guys Greg Russeau had been very good for Miami this year. You know, to give that sort of effort in this game and to come away with nothing. So I guess, good for Louisiana Tech. Good good for law Tech. But back to the Enos thing. You'll remember that was a big deal when you hired him. That was like, wow, they got dan ENO's nice hire has not worked out, to say, turns out Miami doesn't have Tua. No turns out. So this is And I was watching the pregame stuff going into this game because I'm not far from Miami. This was what Miami was able to do on national TV with I don't think any other games going against it. You ready to tie? I'm ready? Please punt punt, punt, fumble, punt punt, really fumble fumble, punt interception, punt interception and mercifully and of season. Yeah, hey, law Tech got to ten wins.
Speaker 2: Good for them, law Tech got to ten wins, all right, Quick Lane Bowl pit thirty four Eastern Michigan thirty.
Speaker 1: Nobody puts Kenny Pickett in the corner? Did I mean Eastern Michigan in the corner? For most of this game they sort of did.
Speaker 2: Pitt needed a twenty five yard touchdown pass with just forty seven second left to grab the lead in that sweet sweet Quick Lane Bowl Trophy, Dan But this was.
Speaker 1: A little bit closer than I expected. Same. This was such a strange season for Pitt by the way, yeah they have. It's what Mauric's French is probably one of the great underrated receivers in the country, and that's because the pit offense wasn't that good this year. He was the bright spot. As much as you think Kenny Pickett is plucky because of what he did a couple of years ago, Mauric's French is the story. And that's French with two s. By the way, that is French with two f's elsewhere in the Holiday Bowl. I didn't watch any of this game. Oh I did.
Speaker 2: IOWA forty nine USC twenty four, so I need I need sort of your breakdown here, But it looks like it was close for three quarters and then suddenly I refreshed my app and I was like, wait what they scored forty nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so iowa drop basically fifty two of those touchdowns. One was on a long kick return from ism Amir Smith Marsette. Another was on a pick six late in this game, So Iowa I was offense only he scored thirty five, which if you do, if you do some sort of translation that's fifty points for Iowa. Thirty five is the equivalent of fifty for the twenty nineteen Iowa offense. They couldn't run the ball that well, and it didn't matter as much as USC had struggled this year stopping the run. The fact that you get out gunned by Iowa when you have Michael Pittman, Tyler Vaughan's Aman, Ross Saint Brown, Drake London, all of these guys in an air raid with retaining Graham Harrell is Wild is wild and USC relieved Clancy Pendergast and John Baxter, the defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator, of their of their duties shortly after this game. But Keton Slovas goes down in the third quarter, which certainly affected things. Matt Fink was largely ineffective. Luckily, the injury to Slovas, I think is pretty minor. It's just a sprain. They were worried it could have been something a lot worse. But the story here was really im for for Iowa. Just with the ball in his hands, he made plays, he gets he scores a touchdown through the air and in the return game and was the offensive force in this game. And Nate Stanley. Pretty good game, but yeah, Iowa scoring thirty five is against a ranked team, no less, is an accomplishment. Great way to finish out the season for Iowa as they get to their tenth it's a nine to three season. I'm really big on your record is what you do in twelve games, but really really strong finish to the season for Iowa. Who they beat They be Minnesota near the end of the year, yep, yep, they beat are fighting a lion i near the end of the year. And to finish out beating USC on the West Coast, nice feather in their cap.
Speaker 2: In the Texas Bowl, the best eight and five team in the country went down fourteen to nil early. I had some an and M folks tweeting at me in despair. But fear not, fear not the best eight and five team in the country. They stayed the course, kept their composure, kept Chewba Hubbard from killing them, which is essential in a game like accomplishment, and they scored twenty four consecutive points. He ended up winning, thank he Ford to twenty one. That's Texas a and m over Oklahoma State in the Texas Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was all it was good bad. Kellen Moond in this game struggled to throw the ball consistently against Oklahoma State, but ran the ball really well. Had that it was almost a seventy yard touchdown run. I believe on a keeper and the defense for A and M really stepped up after going down fourteen to nothing, really tightened up against Oklahoma State, who starts Drew Brown. In this game. Backup quarterback Spencer Sanders, I think saw some time and think he had a couple carries, but really didn't affect the passing game at all. And you know, the youth of Texas A and m's defense impressive. I just saw what jay Sean Corbin is transferring to Florida State after having to sit out most of the year with an injury. But yeah, A and M next year, I don't know what their schedule looks like. I don't know who they have consecutively to end the season, but Kellen Mond should be starting once again. I don't know what I think. I don't know what their ceiling is in the SEC with Kellen Mond being counted on to throw passes for four quarters. But a gutty effort from Mond in A and M, as you know they beat an old big twelve fo.
Speaker 2: In the Military Bowl. UNC fifty five Temple thirteen Man Carolina Carrie, Carolina just drilled him. Yeah, Rod Carry keeps on carry and yeah Carolina was up twenty to six at half, and somehow it only got worse from there. A really nice game from Sam Howe, who we've loved all year. Also two ridiculous touchdown catches for Daz Newsome.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw those.
Speaker 2: I did, indeed, one that he bobbled and somehow got a foot down in the back corner of the end zone. Another he caught in the back corner of the other end zone with two guys draped all over him. Beautiful throw from Sam Howe again, your final here, fifty five to thirteen, A really nice capper to a surprise season for UNC.
Speaker 1: Didn't things get out of hand against Duke last year for Temple in their bowl game as well, and that kind of led to Daniel Jones getting drafted in the top ten, among other things that may have helped. Yes. Sure so, yes, things got out of hand pretty quickly in the third quarter, and it was a complete effort. It wasn't just North Carolina and Sam Howll on offense, the defense had a really nice job stepping up. Granted against a Temple offense. It's been pretty awful all season long, but nice momentum for the Tar Hills going into the offseason.
Speaker 2: Pinstripe Bowl we had Michigan State twenty seven, Wake Forest twenty one. Nice game here for Brian Lawerkie and a Watch Collins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they need it. I mean it's one of those like, if Michigan State can get to twenty points, twenty five points, there's a pretty good shot that they'll win the game. But that's that enormous, enormous say if Wake Forest offense just not the same without stage thurrat So. I didn't watch much of this game. I scrubbed through it pretty quickly, but nice to see Michigan State come back. They were down at the half, I think twenty one to twenty and hold on in the fourth quarter. I can't say it's a great way to go into the off season, but at least they didn't lose to Wake in New York. I guess they did not lose to Wake. Okay.
Speaker 2: We had in the Cheese It Bowl Air Force thirty one, Wazoo twenty one, air Force threw for thirty yards and a pick. They also rushed for three hundred and seventy one yards and four touchdowns. Dan they had twenty seven more minutes of possession in this one.
Speaker 1: I think we both picked air Force, didn't we I definitely did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: They finished ten and two on the regular season, get their eleventh against Wazoo. This was a rough watch, just if you wanted entertainment, because Washington Washington State would throw the ball pretty well and then get inside, you know, the five yard line and just struggle, struggle on short yardage. You know, turnovers were an issue. I got and all that aside. Washington State, with what three weeks to prepare for air Force's option, what they put on the field was nowhere near acceptable. What they what they they just they looked like they were lining up wrong. They couldn't tackle, they couldn't figure out how to get guys in the area of the option. They just air Force ran all over them. It seemly it was what Remsburg. Yeah, I watched this after the fact that I just every time I would look up, it was like Remsburg for eight, Remsburg for six, Ramsburg for twelve. I just I don't know how you finished. I don't know. I don't know what Washington State was doing these past few weeks. I don't know. I guess yeah, well, Anthony Gordon, another good game in a losing effort. Yeah, other than that, Other than that fumble, I would say in the red zone, Yeah, let's move to the Cotton Bowl if we could. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Penn State fifty three, Memphis thirty nine. So Penn State hired Kirk Shiraka to be their new offensive coordinator. They hired him away from Minnesota. I think in light of this game, job number one is going to be Sean Clifford. I don't know if he's good or not. I felt better about him at the start of the year than I think I did at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: But you know, there's somebody behind him that'll push him in the fall. Maybe Will Levis. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know either. I don't know how I feel about that. Clifford did not look very good in this game at all. No, in the end, it didn't matter because they rushed for almost four hundred yards, pretty much ran it at will. They should have run it more than they did. Journey Brown goes over two hundred, Noah Kane, Ricky Slade, they all look pretty good, and Brady White had a fantastic four hundred and fifty yard game in his own was an effort. So I thought a lot to be excited about regarding Penn State moving forward. And this was a good Memphis team that I've been all about all year. I think you picked Memphis to win this game, didn't you.
Speaker 1: I did pick Memphis to win this game. I don't know. I mean, I obviously regret it, but I figured that with the momentum that they had, or with the confidence they had even losing Mike Norval, with how they finished out the year, and Penn State, you know, being the team that has to face the G five school on New Year's six game, it's not always a motivational moment for teams. But look, I want to you sort of mention you started off with some not so positive evaluations of Sean Clifford, and you know Penn State's defense. I suppose you know, via the Memphis offense and success that they had through the air, Penn State did a good job bending but not breaking. Whoever the hell Memphis kicker is? Holy hell? How does Memphis have an amazing kicker? Good for them. He's incredible. He hits what a couple of forty to fifty yarders. I think he had what six field goals? Yeah, no big deals, no big deal, no big deal because Memphis only got in the end zone three times, so that was ridiculous. I don't know if the city of Memphis did something to Micah Parsons, but he took it out on this team. Michael Parsons finishes with fourteen tackles and I know you saw the moment where Memphis tried and end around and he was just there. Yeah, and he just ended the life of that play like a very angry spurned assassin. Michael Parsons is an All American linebacker. Michael Parsons is the best player on this team right Yeah, and I can't I mean good asked to play next year. I hope the defense is better built next year in terms of the secondary. And they had some definite lapses this season, and we saw it against Minnesota, Indiana, Memphis, and the Penn State pass rush seemed to come and go throughout the season. But whatever the hell the city of Memphis did to Micah Parsons please apologize because he just wreaked complete havoc and is a total joy to watch. And yes, Penn State on the ground, it was weird and we were texting about this that Penn State could do whatever they wanted against what seemed like a pretty undersized Memphis front who gave the Penn State offensive line some fits in pass protection. But my god, did Penn State push around Memphis up front and Journey Brown Noah Kane, you were saying like, yeah, they're getting twenty yards a rush, but they're not always running. It doesn't fully make sense. So hopefully the new offensive coordinator puts his own stamp on things and helps develop Sean Clifford as well. Nice performance from Penn State going into the off season.
Speaker 2: And finally, let's go to the Camping World Bowl. Notre Dame thirty three, Iowa State nine. It will be very interesting to see what Notre Dame does at offensive coordinator now, because Tommy Reese called a nice game here and defensively, Notre Dame's defense pretty much shut down. Iowa State is a good Iowa State team. I was at the beer distributor grabbing a few adult libations.
Speaker 1: Where's that right up the road here.
Speaker 2: I was at the beer distributor grabbing a couple six packs before the playoff games, and I was listening to hooligans talk about Notre Dame and Iowa State.
Speaker 1: Who's Iowa State?
Speaker 2: And it's always at that moment, and I'm sure you've experienced it where it's like I know more about Iowa State than pretty much anyone on Earth right now, and I could flex those muscles and make a total of myself pretty legit. I could make a fool of myself talking about Brock Party and of course Broctoberfest.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I just bought my beer, went to my car, and whatever, dude, whatever turns out they were right. It turns out they were right. Nice twenty four point win here for Notre Dame. Yes, I came away more than anything, as well as what Tony Jones played, as well as Chase Claypool just was unguardable in this game. And it was nice to Ian Book go downfield the Notre Dame defense. This is not a bad Iowa State offense. No, it's not a bad team. No, I would say, move the ball against pretty much everybody. The Baylor game was pretty awful for the Clones, but this was a it's a legitimate offense Brock party and experienced quarterback, a playmaker. Breist Hall came on midway through the season. I thought Deshantae Jones was pretty impressive at times this year, and for what Notre Dame was doing up front, forcing turnovers? What it was Jeremiah owusu cora moa, how he pronounced it? Got it? You got joker j Okay, just in the face of Iowa State all day long, the forced fumbles, it was just he was mister Havoc for Notre Dame. So I don't know what the future of Clark Lee holds, but a great promotion that Brian Kelly made now a couple of years ago. And I know it's Iowa State. I know it's what the Camping World Bowl, but really impressive way to finish out the year to maintain focus for Notre Dame. I don't know what they host Clemson next season. I believe yeah, they gonna go to that game. No, okay, you got a podcast to do on staying here. This was wall to wall irish, So nice way to finish things out in front of a national TV audience. For sure. So I think that's it. I think that covers pretty much all the Bowl games that were can I also mention, by the way, I tweeted this out, what Memphis was wearing the all grays on a green field. Don't even talk to me about those uniforms in my color blindness. I don't have that color blindness my eyes. I wear glasses a lot of the times, but I don't have that specific color issue. Whoever said, yeah, you can wear a darkish gray against in State's darkish blue on a green field should be relieved of their duties those because those unwatchable game. Those Memphis uniforms, to me.
Speaker 2: Were virtually invisible set against the backdrop of that green field.
Speaker 1: Same it was. It was. It was a tough watch, just visually. And Memphis does not wear those a lot. They have you know, whites and blues, whatever one. They're just heinous uniforms. I compared them to just awful gym class. You know that heathered gray look awful awful uniform. No contrast. There needs to be something like listen, I know people have a lot leaders have a lot of strong opinions about the Oregon uniforms. You can always see them. You can always differentiate the Oregon players from the other teams players. This was a visual travesty of a game to have sometimes green. Though they do wear greens on a green field, they don't do a lot green on green on the green field. And I know it's happened, but they're bright enough, they're like an apple green that it's contrasting enough, the muted grays against the muted green of the field, and just contrasts. I'm saying, players contrasting with each other, like if Oregan's wearing green on green on a green field, they're playing its team wearing white jerseys. I'm far from a uniform traditionalist, but this can't happen anymore. Sorry, that was my old man rant, and you felt the same. You agreed. Oh, I couldn't see him. No, I couldn't see anything. It was ridiculous. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got five other games here that we have not previewed yet. We thought maybe we would rifle through those very quickly. We don't have a bull barge sound because it's more of a mini barge, he said, the tug Bowl.
Speaker 1: We comfortable with that. I am. Yeah, the sponsors won't drop us for Tug Bowl. Okay, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Tickets smarter Birmingham Bowl. This one is on January second on ESPN. It is ten and three Cincinnati. It is six and six. Boston College Bearcats are a seven point favorite.
Speaker 1: I am gonna go Sincy.
Speaker 2: I'm twenty eight confidence points because BC's been a mess all season. Then they fired their coach and they're also going to be without their best player, AJ Dillon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. First of all, let's talk about very briefly Boston College, who finishes the season losing two of three. What if you had told me before the season, Yeah, Boston College is going to beat Virginia Tech, Pitt, Syracuse and NC State and fire Steve Dazio because the season was unacceptable. That would be very confusing to me. Yeah, and probably Boston College fans. But they finished the season losing two of three. But did Pete beat Pitt at Pitt. The offense was largely fine. You know, they lose a quarterback halfway through the season in Anthony Brown, who was pretty good. AJ Dillon was typical, really strong AJ Dillon defense turned woeful. Max Richardson is a stud at linebacker. Some good linebacking play but yeah, it was. It was a rough year for Boston College overall. In Cincinnati, I think is a good pick. They lose their last two, both to Memphis after a repeating in the American Championship Game. They rip off nine straight after that. Ohio State just abuse through it out oh Man. But they finished the season defending the run really well, a nice linebacking corp themselves. It's just the offense was pretty lackluster. I still have Cincinnati by about ten. Here the gift suite tie. Okay, you're getting a coin, you're getting that History of the Bulls book, you're getting a bucket hat. But if you're heading to this game from Boston or Cincinnati and you're not used to really strong food, which both those cities have good food. The Highlands Bar and Grill is the James Beard Award winning best restaurant in America. Okay, that's pretty good. Saws Barbecue, I think they have white sauce, which is an Alabama thing. Carrigan's Hattie Bees I think has a location if you want some hot chicken in Birmingham. I've heard good things about Jack Brown's for burgers, and of course our friends over at Druid City Brewing. Yah, that's allers. They're in Tuscaloosa, but I think you can find Druid City check their website on tap at a number of places in Birmingham. I want to make the move to their brewery in Tuscaloosa not far away. Find where you can get some Druid City on tap.
Speaker 2: Shout out to our boys Dad at Druid City. Yeah, huge for ballers. I chalk murals really a bucket hat though. That's like the best we're doing with this.
Speaker 1: That's what we're seeing here. Okay, see I don't maybe at the gift sweet Rules and there's a bunch of cool stuff in there. Tax Slayer Gator Bowl.
Speaker 2: Also on the second, also on ESPN, it is Tennessee at seven and five. It is Indiana at eight and four. Tennessee is a two point favorite here. So I sort of boxed myself in and I'm stuck putting twenty five confidence points on this game, which.
Speaker 1: Was like entirely not by choice.
Speaker 2: I'm not very confident, but twenty five is what it's going to be, you know, Like both these teams are good stories for different reasons. Indiana's I think been pretty decent all year. There are four losses were to Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, and Michigan. The problem I have with them is teams they beat, and it's really tough to figure out how they compare it to Tennessee, because sure, the best team they be. Honestly, it's either Nebraska or Purdue.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, Tennessee beating the heavyweights that they beat makes this an easy choice then right oh wait, now now I'm seeing here they did not They beat Kentucky. Yeah, Kentucky. I mean, we have a soft spot for Lin Boden in Kentucky. But yeah, so it's not terribly different.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm going to switch my pick to Tennessee. I've gone back and forth thousand times. Here I'm gonna go Tennessee. I'm jumping aboard your tennis sance winners of five straight to end the year, definitely some good momentum down the stretch. I think a good job in the coaching department down the stretch as well, So I'll go Tennessee. I think close game may be a fun one to watch, but twenty five on Tennessee, I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: More specifically, a nice improvement job from Jarrett Garantano. The back half of the season, the defense for Tennessee did show some fight, especially in preventing bigger plays. Darryl Taylor definitely worth watching for Tennessee as the Balls win their final five. It should be noted that Juwan Jennings, who is a stud at receiver, is suspended for the first half of this game for stomping a Vanderbilt player's face on return. Which, if you're gonna be associated with Tennessee and you're gonna do something horrible, just after Albert Haynsworth, do not stop somebody's face. Aside from just you shouldn't do that in the first place. Indiana, I think you're right. I mean, they lose their final two of three, but they did throw the ball. Well, I think I'm actually gonna go with the Hoosiers here by five it out with your Hoosiers. Not super high confidence, but in the teens. The gift suite of the tax Layer Bowl, which by the way, tax software avoided at all costs. That's another show. Don't buy TurboTax, don't give into it money. The gift suite includes, according to this site, I'm looking at noise canceling headphones and a Bluetooth speaker inside a personalized box. I like that Maui Jim sunglass is with fitting you get, I guess custom fitted sunglasses. I'm on board with that fossil watch backpack and that bowl book. And if you are heading to Schames of Jacksonville for good things about Maple Street, for biscuits, there's a new Cuban place called nineteen twenty eight which piqued my interest. And V pizza the letter V Pizza so and just don't get yourself in trouble in Jacksonville seems easy to do.
Speaker 2: The famous Idaho Potato Bowl h January third. Also ESPN, we got Ohio at six and six, We've got Nevada at seven and five. Ohio is seven and a half point favorite. So, for what it's worth, of all the bowl games, my numbers claimed that this was one of the biggest mismatches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so have that down too. Who am I to doubt the metrics? Who am I in general?
Speaker 2: But let's go Ohio for twenty six confidence points here the.
Speaker 1: Ohio at six and six building up the resume against some truly awful teams. The bottom of the mac is horrendous. This year. A nice offense. It feels like Nathan Rourke has been there forever a nice running backfield in general for the Bobcats. The defense for Ohio is the really awful thing for them in Nevada. Strange year. They finished their their season winning three of four, including beating San Diego State. Somehow, their offense and their defense are both pretty bad. I guess they're okay against the run, which is important against Ohio. Dom Peterson is worth watching, an All Mountain West talent at defensive end. I have Ohio here by double digits because bad Nevada is truly, truly horrible. The gift suite includes a ful Achiever computer backpack, a Herschel's Supply Company hit pack, which I think is a fancy way of saying fanny pack, a beanie, and a coin. And if you find yourself in Boise, it will probably be cold. I've spent some time in Boise. Good friend of mine is from there and lives there. Goldiees for breakfast, for sure. There's a gastro pub called Bitter Sweet Bitter Creek. Excuse me, I've been to the Westside driving for an ice cream potato in which they carve a or fashion a chunk of ice cream that looks like the inards of a potato and then rub it in cocoa to make it look like a skin. Pretty good, and burger belly for burgers. Can you please recite the name of that backpack again? Fool th h L Ladies and gentlemen. We finally got him on one. What is it? It's Toully? Is it really? It is Toully? Yes, we finally got a long last Osama Dan Lawden. We got him.
Speaker 2: Dan's Globe Tomato Final two, Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl.
Speaker 1: They better be get a missile in this game or something cool. Please do not give football players missiles.
Speaker 2: January fourth, ESPN two Lane at six and six, Southern Miss at seven and five, Tulane touchdown.
Speaker 1: It's Thu Lane, shut up, we got.
Speaker 2: Tulane lost their last three. Southern miss lost their last two. The best team that either of these guys beat was Army. Statistically about the same, though Tulane's got a much better offense here.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna bite my lip and say TWU Lane for oh gosh, I have twenty seven points on this Yeah, I mean it's too late at this point, so we'll just go tu lane twenty seven.
Speaker 1: What the hell? This game should be very entertaining because both of these defenses give up a ton of big plays, Southern Miss through the air and Tulane just in general, it was a somewhat disappointing year. I think we had some high hopes for Tulane as one of the better G five defense, especially with what they brought back up front. They did run the hell out of the ball, like you mentioned, and Southern Miss threw it pretty well. They couldn't run, so you're getting a good contrast of styles here. I think they should be entertaining. Fort Worth heard good things. Haven't spent a ton of time there. I'll go in food in a second. But the gift suite includes, but may not be limited to that. There's one hundred and fiftieth anniversary coin, college football anniversary, a beanie, a neck pillow that's nice, football nine line apparel, patriotic athletic where Okay, fort Worth I have been yelled at before for writing off Fort Worth as a food town. And you know what I've done some more investigate and asked some questions of friends who spent time there. There's a new place for biscuits called hot Box, which looks very good. I think it's called I'm him for barbecue. I maybe heem heim. I don't know. I apologize for miss pronuncia. See, I'm in your head now, I am in here, now you are well. I'm gonna get this one right. Shinjuku Station for all things Japanese, especially Ramen, looks bonkers amazing. Who do you pick here again? I'm going I didn't say my pick. I'm going with two lane too little digits here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And finally, on January the sixth, it is the Lending Tree Bowl on ESPN. The Louisiana Raging Cajun's at ten and three, the Miami Ohio Ridhawks at eight and five.
Speaker 1: Louisiana by Guy Chuck Martin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Louisiana is a fourteen point favorite. It's a big number, and I think that's because the Raging Cagen's actually pretty good. They had a really good season ten and three. Their only three losses came against Mississippi State and app State twice. They've got a really efficient rushing attack, one of the best in the country. They've got a forty year old up and comer in Billy Napier as their head football coach. He's been rumored for big jobs. Eventually he's going to get one of them, just not yet. Miami won the MAC over Central Michigan. But for what it's worth, you know, our friend Bill Connolly over at ESPN now, she tracks something called second order wins, which basically what it tells you is whether a.
Speaker 1: Team is more lucky than good.
Speaker 2: Right, and by that measure, Miami's a four win team.
Speaker 1: So let's go raging.
Speaker 2: Cagen's here to the tune of thirty two confident this points, Yeah, I have them by about seventeen points here and yeah, Louisiana. They win six of their final seven. They do lose to app State in the Sun Bolts Championship game. They ran the hell out of the ball. Levi Lewis at quarterback. A very fun watch if you watch that Sun Belt Championship game. Their defense not great, but they were okay against the pass and it's stopping big plays. Miami's offense, Miami Ohio's offense, I guess, really any Miami's offense mostly dreadful. The pass defense was pretty good. Cameron Butler a very fun watch for Miami up front, But yeah, I have Louisiana comfortably. This is the lending Tree Bowl, and lending Tree I'm not going to recommend that service. That doesn't seem like a good thing to do. My sponsor, not a sponsor, a sponsor.
Speaker 1: The gift suite includes personalized noise canceling headphones and a charging bank, So that's solid. Thanks lending Tree for that fossil watch and a Herschel Supply Company backpack. I think this is a very solid gift package, especially if there's more in that gift suite. If you find yourself in UH I think this game is in mobile, Yes, Noble South or Ruby Slipper for breakfast Noble South looks really good, squid Ink for interesting bar food, and Dumbwaiter for nicer Southern strong options in mobile.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Well, I think we covered a lot of ground in this show.
Speaker 1: I would agree.
Speaker 2: I think we covered a lot of ground in this show. So what you have to look forward to in the coming days and weeks. We obviously have a bunch of Bowl games that we will recap after we have results that we can read. We do have to preview the National Championship game. There is some just general college football news which we will get to and cover as soon as we can. And then, of course there's the big game, which I believe. Did we firm up the plans? Are we going to be watching this together?
Speaker 1: We are going to be watching this together.
Speaker 2: We're going to be watching the championship game together and then recapping the game on Tuesday morning, will drop our normal Tuesday morning recap of the National Championship before we effectively.
Speaker 1: Head to the real, real offseason. When was the last in person show we did together. It would probably be back in August when we were in DC. Yeah, well, I mean that's a live show, I'm saying, like the last regular, not fantasy thing show.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe when we went to North Dakota, when we went to North like three year ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even that's sort of like not a regular show, not an ordinary show. We were recapping our visit there. So it's been a while. It might have been pre season twenty eighteen in my apartment, but yes, all baby came along, so we didn't go to the National Championship Game, not going to New Orleans this year because of some obligations. Yeah, it could have been that time I lost my voice. Oh yeah, I remember you and Bill came to my apartment when we did nineties Internet things right, Yes, yes, you were at my apartment. So looking forward to doing these shows. We'll do a two's cruise to finish out the season and we'll recap everything. Some news real quick. Tie, you don't need to play any sounds I did see. Pat Fitzgerald turned down an interview request from the Carolina Panthers at Northwestern mentioned USC firing defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and special teams coordinator John Baxter. Baxter a particularly noted recruiter. Vanderbilt has fired each of their offensive and defensive coordinators. Mike Norvell has been making some higher Steve Greatwood to me legendary offensive line coach. He spent much of his career at Oregon. He's retiring after I think three seasons at cal Otherwise, I mean we mentioned the dan Enos thing at Miami. He is out, so Miami will be looking. You mentioned Kirk Shirakairaka Shiraka, who did a terrific job with Minnesota and before that Western Michigan with PJ. Fleck. He is in at Penn State as Ricky Ronnie leaves to take a head coaching job. You know we've talked about Jeff Scott, so he hires Charlie Weis junior Okay from fau as Lane Kiffin leaves to be the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach with some it appears some promise. Kendall Briles is at Arkansas. So two I think seemingly pretty strong coordinators in Arkansas for Sam Pittman in Kendall Briles and Barry Otom. Marcus Arroyo hired away Casey Dunn from Oklahoma State. Casey done the longtime receivers coach and co offensive coordinator. If you look at the receivers who have come through Oklahoma State during his time there, you can't help but come away impressed. He will be the new offensive coordinator at UNLV from Marcus Arroyo. Otherwise, I don't know if there's anything. I mean, Mike, You're sick. Appears to be the guy to take over at offensive coordinators Texas now that Ohio State's season is over. That looks like it's all but official. Chris ash is obviously official at defensive coordinator for Texas. I think that's all I have right now we've had some We'll do more draft stuff as we get close to that, and mentioned all the guys that are leaving early and not playing in bowl games. I think we've hit a lot of those already. But I think that's the big stuff here. And if I can, and I really really trust me, believe me, I don't mean to tag this on as like a and also one more thing, but I think it would be unfair not to and sort of didn't feel right not to discuss it. We weren't friends with ed Aschoff. We didn't know him all that well. I think we may have met him a couple times at national championships and so forth. There was something about his passing tie that was just devastating to me. The fact, the fact that I mean to calm a blogger isn't necessarily he was at ESPN. He was a reporter. I mean, most recently he was national reporter for ESPN, but he was He helped to run the old SEC blog that when ESPN had the Conference blogs. Thirty four years old on his birthday, engaged to be married in the spring, and just a really out of nowhere health situation. He had pneumonia that developed into HLH and I don't know what it is. I just I feel like we're part of this digital college football, weird media world and it hit me, and I just I just want to say everybody seems to have loved him that had had come across him, you see, like all the reporters that were friends with them wearing the lapel flowers at bowl games to honor him and his style. But everybody could not help but say extraordinarily nice things about him. And so in a very strange way, I feel like in this world, we lost somebody that was that was pretty significant. So thoughts out to everybody that was affected and friends with him and close to him, and man, I just it was it was pretty heartbreaking stuff the way it all happened. So suddenly a.
Speaker 2: Shock to see that news on Christmas Eve, to say the least. And like you said, I mean, we haven't had it on the show, but to be part of the college football media sphere in any sense, you kind of get familiar with these names and Twitter handles and however you interact with people in this day and age, and yeah, that was that was incredibly sad news. Shocking news to say the least, and again. You know, we hate to have shows with bad news, but two bits of it here in this show. First thoughts obviously go out to the n Springers, and secondly to the ash Offs and all friends of ADS because that's a tough one to say the least. So yeah, with that being said, we do appreciate everyone for stopping on buy, for downloading the show, for taking part in our weirdness here as a college football podcast. We will be back very very soon talk more college football. We've got much to discuss here as the season plods forward, just a few games remaining. Dan and I will be back in due time to talk about that championship much much more. Daniel, enjoy the rest of your stay in Florida.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your New Year's ish time.
Speaker 2: For that guy over there, Dan Rubenstein, for myself, Ty Hildebrand, thank you so much again for downloading the show.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you all soon.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, stay solid, Heid