Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, the fitness market a few stats to throw out at you from various research groups. Virtual the virtual fitness market to be worth about one hundred and six point four billion by twenty thirty and then you got Gym membership. That market to reach over seventy billion globally by twenty thirty two. People work at you love working out?
Speaker 1: I do, yeah, when I can certainly find the time. It's good for us. We have to do it as people. I mean, this is like a central stuff. In general. The fitness sector roared back after being devastated by the pandemic. It also changed a lot during the pandemically the virtual stuff people working out at home. It continues to provide different offerings as a way to work out. Enter Forward Space Carol about five years ago. That was back in twenty eighteen, and.
Speaker 2: Great to have with us on zoom in New York. Kristin Sadeikas she's found her CEO and creative director of Forward Space. Kristin, so great to have you here on Bloomberg Business Week. First of all, how are you? And tell us about your world and forward space and how it all came to be.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, how did it come to be?
Speaker 4: Human connection? Very much in the business of human connection by way of movement and music. So I've been doing that as a choreographer and artistic director for a lot of my life and started to really notice a high demand and high just request of me personally. Where can I just go move, go dance, connect myself? And there just wasn't quite a space that merged the serious side of dance, technical side of dance, the social side of dance that's so essential to human connection and to what we're needing as social beings, you know, to be in a room together, the resurgence of how potent that is that people want to be in a room with other people working out and not just at home. And then the sweat side, which is the cardio workout side. I have a sport space bridges free.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry, no, no, go ahead, please? Oh I think we lost hopefully that I'm.
Speaker 3: Here, I'm here, okay, good.
Speaker 4: It bridges the three yes, sorry, Carol. So it bridges the three together, the serious side of dance, or this technical side that a lot of people really want the training of how can I be better at dancing, but in an accessible, non intimidating way. The social side, which is, you know people are probably out doing somewhere right now. And then the sweat side, where people could get a workout and not just for their bodies, but for their minds and their emotional health and their energetic health.
Speaker 2: I have to say, and we apologize for it's zooms zoom always can get a little wacky. What's interesting And we talked over the summer. You know, I am from a large family. We love to dance, whether it's a wedding whatever. It's like, it's such a great workout, but you know, throw some music on and we're like all over the place.
Speaker 1: I want to go to one of these.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like that's what you know, you've really kind of you know, tapped into something of you know, you throw in some great music, you post your playlist, you curate them, and then you combine it with a workout. It's just I can I can get it?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And the human connection part of it all, you know, I mean that's really the genesis of it, is creating a space where people could connect, not just to others, first to themselves, then to those around them. Be it at a wedding, that same feeling where you know, you meet people on the dance floor, but then also the greater world around us in that order, again and again and again. In a dark room, I should I should, you know, share that part because we keep the lights very low because many people are very very nervous coming in. They have wanted a space to try to dance or use some have. There's one class that's a fire class, so there's free weights and a lot of sculpting exercises with little mini dance breaks in between. And that's for people that are all the way backed up, you know, while flower style.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you guys have an actual physical space in soho here at New York, but you can also do this virtually. How do you create, recreate, virtually create in the space and so how do you actually do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, great question. It's similar to what we're doing right here right now. While we're not in the same room. It feels different, yet I can feel connected to you all. It to create a precise, precise portal going through the camera so that people receive the information in their homes. I think there's something really special about the fact that we have now expanded into the virtual and the many people that are doing it that also have a physical space, those of us that have the boats, and because people either come to our home if you will, and soho, and then we also have the opportunity to be in people's homes, you know, And that that's a key element I talk about when we're getting ready to film and things like that.
Speaker 3: It's to just take a moment and know that we're entering their space now and so, but how do you do it.
Speaker 4: Where it still feels electric? And it's in the delivery, it's in the professionalism, it's.
Speaker 3: In the training of it all. It's and making it look effortless, and the music.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really kind of interesting. I love the workout space and we've covered a lot here at Bloomberg and certainly at Bloomberg Business Week, and it really has taken off in so many different iterations. How do you think about differentiating yourself? I mean, you've laid it out, but it's a competitive field. I'm just curious if that's the top of mind that understand that you're competing for people's time, how they want to work out. I get the social component, but how do you think about that, because you do think about growing your business and throwing some business metrics because we are curious about how much the business has grown in the past five years.
Speaker 4: Sure, twenty twenty three alone in our one flagship space, we've seen twenty three hundred new clients. Wow, okay, and we have very minimal I'm just giving it kind of makes my chest still drop a bit because it's just affirming the demand that I saw traveling in the country and outside of the country creating dance concepts.
Speaker 3: But that's just in.
Speaker 4: Our SOHO space, in the physical space, and absolutely to the expansion.
Speaker 3: And do I worry about the competition apps?
Speaker 4: I mean no, uh, you know, absolutely no, because this is the grace of being a working dancer and choreographer first and foremost, you know, professionally starting to teach when I was thirteen, I was given the opportunity to do so. In even moving to New York from Kansas City, people would say, You're worried about the competition, you know, in the arts and things, and no, I was driven by the connection and how it shifts people's worlds individually and collectively. So the competition, like you know, kind of fires me up. I'm good to go with all that.
Speaker 2: As you know, we are Bloomberg. So I am curious about you know, are you profitable, what's the plan? Like do you want to how do you want to grow the business? Do you want to stay private? I'm just curious because you do have investors, you know AVC, You've got able partners, You've got G nine Ventures, You've got a bunch of people who've definitely ponied up money to back you.
Speaker 3: They did, they did, and brilliant people.
Speaker 4: And we are very intentional with who said yes to being a part of this with Ford Space. How do we plan to expand? Soho's our flagship space will continue to do activations. We've done them in London and out east in the Hamptons for five six weeks. We've got our eyes on the Upper east Side West Hollywood, LA. So these are the other physical spaces that will open. Chicago's in the mix, and then partnerships. Brand Partnerships has been one of the large lanes.
Speaker 3: You know, if you think of Ford Space.
Speaker 4: Obviously in the center here we've got our virtual our flagship Space are varying spaces that will open around ten or twelve the next five years.
Speaker 3: And then the brand partnerships.
Speaker 4: We've done things with a number of notable brands, large brands, and so building those relationships out further six K relationships, you know.
Speaker 1: Six What about potentially franchising like Orange theory is done.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't think we'll go that route.
Speaker 4: And that was early on when we were first building out the plan and doing I was doing the first round of investment a non convertible, non convertible note, convertible note forgive me for good convertible note, and I'm thinking about a noncompete that I was just on an email about there this week. As you know, they all merged together, so in the convertible note. That was a large conversation I had in a few of our key investors. We had some really strong meetings about knowing this flode will explode in all the ways, wanting to be intentional with it and to not Some of them had taken the franchise route and learned, and we don't think.
Speaker 3: That would be the route for Ford Space. It's not an absolute note, but it's likely not.
Speaker 2: Kristen really quickly thirty seconds, your brother is Jason Sudeikis, So, did you ever give him advice on Ted Lasso? Does he ever give you advice on a playlist?
Speaker 3: And just quickly, oh gosh.
Speaker 4: I mean we're passing music back all the time and talking life and talking all the things. But I mean, I know, never gave him advice on his body of work. His show I called the work that's been exhaled.
Speaker 3: That's brought such joy and talk about connection, human connection.
Speaker 4: But I mean, he's an amazing big he's an older brother, you know, my only brother, very close and feel very lucky to talk music and playlists and life and all these things.
Speaker 2: It's a yes, Well, listen so much fun. Next time, come join us. We'd love to have you in studio. Come back. We'll talk a little bit more about the business too. Yeah, I do some dancing. Christ And Zadaikas she's found her CEO and creative director of Forward Space.