Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Louie Scruggs.
Speaker 3: Alright here we are Players Counch on a Thursday, five minutes late. I don't know how some people made in the league. I do know how they made it, made the league of giving up the heck Ma Harrison. These are all facts here since eight thirty eight thirty eight thirty legend Trey Moore is here, no rocket, Barry Church is here on his own time, no man. So the wild the wild thing is Church are not coming down the same roads?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. He drove out, He drove out the crib and was like, I know the.
Speaker 3: Roads you're traveling down. Bryan Shanheimer hired on Monday.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, let's get it now.
Speaker 3: That it's happened. I'll start with you Churchill, go round the table.
Speaker 4: Can we start?
Speaker 5: Because I heard I heard, I heard some people telling me something. What I mean, what about?
Speaker 4: I want know? Young mostots.
Speaker 6: Like big from what are you doing passed the reverse Hall of Famers.
Speaker 3: He did HBCU Hall of Famers was like, ask what he thinks?
Speaker 4: That's that's what? That what I heard.
Speaker 6: You will keep it a beat, you Hall of Famers, But you know I gonna say, day that's up man. Yeah, Like like all of y'all, it probably took you back. You probably had to figure out what the hell is going on? How did this come down to pipeline? How was a guy that nobody else interviewed now the front runner.
Speaker 4: For the Dallas Cowboy job?
Speaker 5: And after much anticipation for it to be be put out into the public at nine o'clock at night, it finally comes down to wire.
Speaker 4: Friday, Friday night, Friday night at the bar. You're sitting there the market.
Speaker 5: Next thing, you know, oh yeah, wow, you know, unceremoniously, ceremoniously we got a coach. And you know, look, man, I like many people don't know anything about Brian Schoenhammer as a coach, as a head coach. He hasn't been you know, twenty five years as an assistant and also someone that has been a.
Speaker 4: Liaison just go between.
Speaker 5: When it comes down to the teams that he has been on, I don't want to be one of these negative people that's gonna pile on Brian Schottenhammer because I don't have any time proof of consistency to go off of, and so it's easy to be negative in a situation where you don't have anything to go off of. All I'm gonna say is, damn if if if this is the guy that you after watching the press conference, if this is the guy that you're gonna go with, and.
Speaker 4: Now I mean that, is that a good damn or bad?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: I think after after I was watching it, you know, and it was it was one of those ones where you're you're sitting and I was waiting on the press conference like everybody, I want to see what Jerry has to say, well, Steven has to say, and and I think what I took away from what Jerry was saying is that I'm sitting in meetings and Shoty is given his you know advice to to Mike and h well, mark that down.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty good advice, you know.
Speaker 5: Oh look at him going against the saying something contrary to what Mike was saying. And I'm thinking to myself, the next Dallas Cowboy head coach, if I'm shoty bet not nobody say a word in the meeting.
Speaker 4: Room with Jerry is a road by Ben, shut your mouth.
Speaker 5: If you got something to say, say it after the meeting, because don't you be doing a double interview with Jerry in the building. Like It's just it's one of those things where if you look at the coaching staff and people that you're bringing on, you have a lot of questions and ask to how this coaching staff is going to be any different from the one that you just let go. How is it going to be different? How is the culture going to be shifting from what you've had before? How can Schottenhammer change the scope of this offense from where you saw it last season, two seasons ago when Dak was the second runner up in the MVP. All of those things, it's just gray areas and questions. I really have nothing concrete to go off of because he's never been a head coach. So look, I'm not gonna take my time and be be negative about what just happened.
Speaker 4: Give him an opportunity. Chur you would roll that had some but they say food for thoughts. Man.
Speaker 7: First of all, if I'm shoddy, the way that I would have did it on Friday.
Speaker 4: What shout out to go little What she say is nine pm Friday.
Speaker 7: No head coach and the head coach they got me, they got Cowboys. Y'all just have shoddy regardless as far as what I feel about him, Like I said, y'all seen the show last week. For all y'all that didn't go back and tune in, you know a little promo, But I said it. Former players have spoken very highly of thee and it's not just one player. It's been multiple players. And I'm not going to put their names out there. But I can't put one guy name out there because he told me to. But for Richard Sherman, a guy like him and his caliber and we all know who he was around, like for those guys to stand on the table and beat the drum for this guy for the Cowboys. Obviously they got a rally around him, but I'm seeing a lot of players rally around him. But I would be remiss if I didn't say there as a fan, the fan side to me now that I'm removed, that I am not nervous or something like that because it wasn't the big name coming to quote unquote America team that's another conversation for later. Are they still America's team? But it's a big pressure on you. This is the crock pot of the NFL right now, because they do have a history of winning, they do have a history of having that media market, they do have the history of having an owner that is very involved. Who is your GM? So can you handle that? And so for me, I guess that's where the question is, is like will Shoddy be able to handle that? And that was the first question that I asked all these guys that I called up on the phone and said, Hey, what do you think about him? Give me something to feed off to let Cowboy Nation know that this is their guy. And a lot of those guys said that it was their guys. And for those guys, all the guys that I call, they cut through. They the first one to be like, hey, Demo, you out there making players, But I'm telling you right now, you get a trump off the field, you cut right now. Like they would go in there, Hey, Bobby Bands, you ain't gonna really talk to Bobby like that, but you'll talk to Doug Baldwin. Hey, cut your mouth. Like guys that had no filter for them to stand on the table like that. I am overly ecstatic because I just want to see what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: It's gonna give us good conversation.
Speaker 7: So we'll see what they say, pressure bus pipes and make diamonds. Man, I want to see if he a VVS one.
Speaker 5: You know, we'll see most of the time it's just bus pipes.
Speaker 4: Most of the time.
Speaker 7: I just write two times throughout the day and before I pass it to my dog, Barry. I got one little question that we'll get back to maybe in the next segment. But I heard you when you said in your conversation, if I'm shoddy and learning from what I learned with Mike McCarthy and him learning from under Hill, that if I come in here that now anybody in this staff, if y'all say anything while Jerry is going on, you alluded to the fact that it shut your mouth.
Speaker 4: You feel like that happened before he ow the mind.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to really think about this, you know, because it's the unknown. Like y'all both said. This man, you know, he's been coaching for a long time, you know, quarter of a century, twenty five years. He's been you know, coaching in the National Football League. And from my understanding, you know, I could be wrong, but he's never had that opportunity to be a head coach. Wasn't on top of the boards, or wasn't you know, getting interviews from other teams this offseason, you know when you talk about the head coaching carousel going around. So I'm not so sure what to think about it. You know, obviously, you know Dak went out there and said what he said. You know, they're tied together for the next four years, so you know, we'll see, you know, if Dak, you know, believes in this guy. We talked about it the other last time. You know, does you would you rather have a coach that has more of a defensive ear or a guy that's you know, in the ear of your quarterback. And obviously, for what Dak said, you know him and him and this guy Schottenheimer, you know they're on the same court, you know, offensively, so to me, you know, hopefully he can get the most out of this team out of these players like McCarthy was able to when guys went down, you know, he was able to get the most out of Cooper was the most out of these backup players out there. And I think that's a great quality for a coach to have, so hopefully he can do that as well.
Speaker 4: But to me, when you look at it as a.
Speaker 6: Team, this will be you know, another of the staff, you know, especially on the defensive side of the football, you want with you know, Nolan one year and you had DQ.
Speaker 4: For a couple of years and Zimmer this year.
Speaker 6: Now you're gonna have another defensive coordinator in iber Fluz, who I think is a heck of a defensive guy. But that's just another turnaround for this defense and another scheme for this defense to go after. So for me, defensively, I worry about that part of a little bit of it. But when you talk about a leader of men and a guy that can galvanize the troops and get guys to run through a brick wall, hopefully that's what Schachdenheimer can.
Speaker 4: Bring to the table, you know.
Speaker 6: And I want to see him do what Mike McCarthy was able to do, and that's get the pulse of this locker room, get the heartbeat of these players out there so they can run through a brick fall for him. Go out there, call the plays, all right, go out there and put your stamp on this offense and let's see what you really have as a head coach since you finally got the opportunity to do it. In my opinion, it was shocking. I'm kind of what the heck. It was just like, oh damn, where this guy come from? But you know, I don't want to spew more negativity on it. Just give the guy the benefit of doubt. See what he can do out there, and we'll see what happened at the chips fall where they fall.
Speaker 7: But why is everybody being so negative like right now, like just because it's not the name, because the Cowboys, you have to do it in a big fashion, Like I mean, the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results. Mike McCarthy was a name before Mike. Yeah, they have these guys, Jason Garrett, they like, he wasn't the guy, but he was the name enough to where the Cowboys built it up to where so why not completely go far left and bring something out.
Speaker 6: Of cause it's kind of the same Like with Garrett, he was a oc here kind of worked his way through and ain't getting that Gearrett, he ain't got the pedigree.
Speaker 4: There and as far as.
Speaker 6: His dad, and it's shoddy off as a coordinator. Now, you know, bringing up within the ranks, do you feel like change is gonna happen even though you're going through that same route that you did with the coaches in the past.
Speaker 7: I think experience is the best teacher, and so for him to grow up with his dad being who he is, I think that gives him a little bit of a leg up, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Is that the osmosis part? Is that the osmosis.
Speaker 3: What you said is legitimate because I asked Jerry. I said, Jerry, he's never won anything, and he said, well, he never been the head coach. I said, Jerry as an assistant. He hasn't won anything. He's not any super Bowl teams. And then he's talked about well he's had his nose bloody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for twenty plus years.
Speaker 3: He's been in the fight. Okay, but he still has not won anything. Jason Garrett was on championship teams as a player here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he was there. His dad was a scout here. He did work for Nick Saban.
Speaker 3: So, I mean we saw Jason I apologize for no, no, no, no. So when Jerry's trying to sit up here and give you trying to sell me credentials. What you sold me with Jason career, it was checking off some boxes. What you're selling me with Scheinheimer. And I said to I said, Jerry, he's been with you for three years, and not one time in three years has anybody called you to ask him to be an interview for the interview as a head coach. So what do you know? Nobody else in the league.
Speaker 4: Knows wald Bus and.
Speaker 3: So these questions, when you can take it as negativity, I take it as it's legitimate questions.
Speaker 4: Tell us why.
Speaker 3: We should just drink the kool aid on this and just say yeah, okay. I like Brian Schottenheimer personally and the interactions I've had with him. I remember when he was just an analyst. I sat in chat with chatted with him, got to meet his father before he passed away, and met him at the Hall of Fame. LT had gone in and Jerry had gone in, and you got to talk to him, and I did not know, She said, I forgot at the time. I believe it was Parkinson's he had because his dad gave me a great interview. And then later on, his dad had he thought I was someone else, he thought thought I was in it. And his wife comes up to me. She says, Marty's got you know, Marty's Marty, And I was like, that's right, that's right. Anyway. She couldn't have been any sweet, and I felt so happy for her in the moment for her son. And Marty was a great coach. But the questions that are asked if Jerry about shoddy and basically, what's the merit that says he should have this job? And you're trying to sell us something here. Jerry's track record of hiring coaches who have not been head coaches before its been Iffy Chan Gaily. Chan had some playoff teams, but that was at the end with Troy and It. But Chan Gailey didn't work out very well because Troy and then went to him and just said that he got to go. Dave Campbell three straight, five and eleven seasons. Jason Garrett was here nearly a decade, never was able to take the team of the championship game at.
Speaker 4: All, and those were loaded teams.
Speaker 5: But then you gotta go, you gotta go back to Jimmy, You gotta go back to Jimmy, you gotta go back to Bear coach, you gotta go back and do all those things. It's what you're talking about is literally the great area that everybody's trying to figure out. Well, how'd you come to this conclusion off of a guy that really nobody else wanted? And to me, that's a hard sells and that's what you're having a hard time of selling to the fan base because the reason why even though you've you've done your due diligence, you've picked up the phone and you've made some phone calls and guys vouch for him. But there's another side. Whether you say, dude, there were more qualified guys out there.
Speaker 3: Correct well qualified guys that you did not even talk to, and that was race call them. You didn't even call Aaron Glenn, former player Texas Aggy, you'd have a conversation with it. You didn't talk to Ben John, you didn't even talk to them. And those are those are that's where fans were lacking. That is where certain media members had said, hey, man, the process, the process was not good and how you got here because in trying to talk to Mike, you waited too long because the other guys the window had closed on them. And so those are legitimate questions and why people have skepticism when you have not won anything in twenty nine years, you're going You're open to have questions all day long. One person or two people I was looking for to hear something from and I haven't. Maybe I'm wrong, Russell Wilson, Mark Sanchez. Yes, these are guys who work with not a word and Brian's you know, when they want to talk about Brian's success, well that was with Mark Sanchez and right, but but just okay, all right, you went to as championship games with two of them with Sanchez. Mark Sanchez is a broadcaster to nothing.
Speaker 5: He got, he got number of Mike's in front of him. I'm just saying, you know, he's got every opportunity in the world to tell everybody what he thinks about one Brian Scheinham. But only thing that that kind of trips me out in those years that he did call plays that he dominated in the rushing game. It'd be a different thing if the Cowboys were already on the path rushing.
Speaker 3: You want to go to brand and you got that look at your eyes like you want to go let's go to break. But I love what you said. I love what you said on that. Let's let's dive into the running game. Also, three assistants were hired, so let's dive into the staff as well with Barry Church. Look Church, what's that?
Speaker 4: Glad you here? I do what I can? What Hey?
Speaker 8: Their Cowboys Nation? Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys Gambling Problem. Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred g a m b l e R for twenty one.
Speaker 1: Over Dallas Cowboys Game DAG is brought to you by Captain Morgan, the official spiced drama of the NFL. The NFL season is full of legendary tales on and off the field, and when you follow the Captain within you stories become stuff of legends, So gather your crew and visit follow the Captain dot com to begin your adventure. Please drink responsibly. Captain Morgan Original Spice Rum thirty five percent alcohol by volume. Captain Morgan Rum Company, New York, New York.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of Cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited.
Speaker 3: Rule twelve no crinkle.
Speaker 9: Cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Canes when it comes to winning game day Canes rules raising Cane's chicken fingers.
Speaker 4: One love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: To the Players Lounge.
Speaker 5: The most action packed motorsport experience in the world, returns to Arlington had to at and T Stadium on Saturday, March eighth for Muster Jam. Get ready to cheer, scream, and be amazed as Massive Muster Jam trucks take on Arlington. Tickets are on sale now Seeky's dot com, the official ticketing partner.
Speaker 4: Of AT and T Stadium. Way Gott Duds.
Speaker 3: Tonight at a T and T Stadium the one hundred East West Shrine Boys, Yes, Jerry World. So if you need something to do tonight.
Speaker 4: Stand back.
Speaker 7: I'm going I don't have to stand by anybody else.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna sorry. Got you.
Speaker 7: It's a lot, It's a lot of great talent out there, future future potential Cowboys players.
Speaker 4: Action out there.
Speaker 3: Baby heck Maharrison, Traymore, BARRYT. Church, I'm your Scruggs. So so we left talking about Schottenheimer and the run game, which is what the Jets did. And when you have a Ladanian towns in Hall of Famer. That's what you do. One of my issues with Mike McCarthy was his lack of run game. And we know Shoddy believes in the run game from his time with the Jets, his dad, you know, Marty, we called it Marty Ball. They ran the football. I am for that all day long. I believe when you think about some of Dak Prescott's best years, Tony Rommel's best year was when they were running the football. The Cowboys win championships by running the football. What have we seen this year that you know running the football matters. You got two teams who are in the Super Bowl who can run the ball. Dream hunt for the Kansas City Chiefs from Barkley here for Philadelphia. So if Shoddy wants to go that way, good, But ultimately you got to get a man running back. There's no there's no there's no Brahma bull back there. You need to give him some some more competent offensive line help because that was an area last year where the Cowboys struggle. So that's my piece on that end.
Speaker 5: No, I mean that's the biggest piece is the offensive line. I mean you you you drafted a left tackle that was inept and you couldn't. You couldn't no longer put any band aids over that situation. Even your center, as much as he battled throughout the year, you had struggles through with him, our Hall of fame right right guard. We saw him, you know, pretty much fall through the cracks. With all the injuries that he had. Your offensive line could get literally nothing done. And when you just pretty much peeled back everything on your scheme and just.
Speaker 4: Look, guys, this is what we can do. You're the guy.
Speaker 5: You pointed to a running back in the running back room, say you're the guy. You're You're the one that we're gonna go with. And then you find finally found some type of synergy offensively. But it wasn't a lot. It ain't like we went to those games. And so when you talk about Brian Schaenhamer and the running la Danian Thomason, where's he you know, I mean beast mode, where's he going?
Speaker 4: I mean all of the guys that he had.
Speaker 5: So it's like, when you have that kind of success, it brings me back to the Ben Johnson's of the world, that those guys that have success with players that are quote unquote almost Hall of Fame level players. But then you come to a situation where the covers are bare, you don't have any of that. Then we're going you know what you're going to be saying in the fall, the carpenter doesn't have his tools, and it's gonna be eerily reminiscent of what we've already experienced on the defensive side. And now it's going to be two years of trying to wait on him to actually get those components so that he can run his scheme.
Speaker 4: Does he have that kind of time?
Speaker 3: This is where the ownership, if they want to do something for the fans and get people on board, go out and give the man help. Free agency draft. You got to help Brian.
Speaker 4: Shine, you got to. You got to.
Speaker 7: You gotta go out there and give him help. But you also have to put him in the best position. And so that was a great take that you just did. But I can't sit here and help. But think, like what new he said earlier, Jerry, what made you say, Hey, I'm sold on this guy historically speaking, and he's a run first, play action pass. This is what the Cowboys has had submit in the past and years prior to their success. But for you to not have these tools here for you to go interview this guy and know that that is his scheme, and then it's like okay in my head for him to be the most successful guy. Unless I'm just doing this just because this was the last minute higher, but I'm gonna put you the best position. So, like, is this the year that the Cowboys go out there and sell it all during free agency? And right now there's a lot of questions out there. Everybody's trying to call and get an inference. The only thing solid that we can say that the Cowboys and the front office no disrespect that they have done that has excited the Cowboys is extending Will McLay like you extend him. He's he's shown in the past that he can go out there and go get those guys. He has the makeup. This front office has the makeup to go up there. They didn't put what potentially in the last few years. Get me right with the numbers and newly you know you're a fat guy, But how many Hall of famers have they had on this office on line? How many people have they brought in? So I'm looking for them this year to go in there, like you said, go get him the tools.
Speaker 4: I don't like.
Speaker 7: It's like a coach saying you show up the practice like something, why you ain't got to help me? Like remember the Titans when people tried to run in there. Right now, we don't have a helmet, and so that's why I want to know, like do they gotta do they guys Spaulding or something back there?
Speaker 5: Let me ask you, there's completely wrong if you were on if you were playing defense line for the Giants last year and you come to a game versus the Dallas Cowboys where you're gonna honor play action money. I mean, it all sounds good until you're out there and everybody's.
Speaker 4: Looking at your off. But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: If you so, if you've done all this other stuff and all knowing we can all see it black and white clears, That's why it kind of makes me say, like, hey, unless you just got the blinders on, you're gonna go out there and do something.
Speaker 4: You're gonna go get this man a running back.
Speaker 7: You're gonna go get this man an old line to make him successful, like or are are we planning for something later on down the line to come get a first round draft pick for the next year. So, like I said, when I seen somebody on social media, they said, oh, this is gonna be really good shot, he's gonna do good or the Cowboys will being monioacal and planning to have the first first round pick, first draft pick for the next two years.
Speaker 3: This is where gets tough for me.
Speaker 6: That's where it's because this team is not a one piece, two piece, three pieces away like this is a this is a roster that's I'm not gonna say it's void of talent, but it's you need some help, time help. I wouldn't say last year, I said it was a rebuild. This year it's soft rebuild. They got it, They got some boards. You're looking at offensive line, you're looking at running back.
Speaker 4: Who's your wide receiver? Number two? Tight end was a big drop off this year.
Speaker 6: Defensive line, who's gonna be in your second level with the linebackers?
Speaker 3: Overshawn's got two devastating knee injuries. His Kendricks coming back. Diggs just went through another surgery on his knee.
Speaker 4: George Lewis is a free agent.
Speaker 3: Your safeties, you got them signed, But are we saying they were good last year? Like this is just some of the things that this and that's not even including the depth pieces that this team needs.
Speaker 4: Because we all understand the season is long.
Speaker 3: You could have need to schedule where they got the AFC.
Speaker 4: North exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: The division, the opposite Parsons, the law coming off injury. Is he playing again? Sam Williams coming off of a c L.
Speaker 4: What do we have we.
Speaker 7: People, Carl Lawson, Carloson if we bring him back. We just hired to just d line coach. We thought we was gonna talk about the assistance.
Speaker 4: With all Carl, don't all do but don't do that. Let's keep it. He's a role player. He's a role player.
Speaker 5: He was, He was a bridge player of the injuries that you had.
Speaker 4: Let Carl Lawson was not in camp. Carl.
Speaker 5: Last we were looking at videos of Carl Lawson working out. Fair to say, is just a guy. Yes, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 4: Expect on him, there's no disrespect on him. But let's not. Let's not Sam. Sam Willis didn't have the a somebody gotta be back.
Speaker 5: If and Kneeland didn't tear, you know, have his knee problems, he wouldn't have been.
Speaker 4: We wouldn't We wouldn't have had.
Speaker 3: If you're depending on Carl, not depending on him. You know, if you're depending on Carloston as a depth piece, that is an indicator that you're not as good as you need to be.
Speaker 4: Everybody get better, everybody can get better. I'm just saying, like, come, let's give them a little slack.
Speaker 3: No, and not even be a cutthroat here. The fact that you had to go get him and and the other boy from Minnesota, Josh Right, showed you once again that.
Speaker 5: He was a beat back then the right right, they're better, Their best days were behind them.
Speaker 3: And once again, you know something everybody else in the league don't know because they're sitting out there.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys have got to get better at that.
Speaker 3: And if you're telling me one more time that you bring it back, Lynn, Belle, Joseph and Carl lost that you can't tell me that, and you and you're like, it's gonna be hard to win it. It's gonna be hard to win. And they they have got to get better at the draft picks and you know, not having the fourth round picks, they went out there mingo, that's the thing that's gonna hurt you that where you needed to get better there and you know, I'm this is just the bare.
Speaker 4: Facts up there, man.
Speaker 3: Right now, it's just like you're looking at me like there's a lot of questions that can't be answered in one draft.
Speaker 6: And then to add insult to injury, you have a new coach, a new which would defensively now you're seemingly in a new scheme where you are already struggling from guys that couldn't learn the scheme that Zim had and he had to revert back to DQ scheme and it was all disjointed. I mean, so how do we how do we come into this next season and say, oh, we're gonna have a better one tech? Are we going to say he's going to be better in his third year?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: I got Mazie. Are we gonna say that?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 5: Now? I mean we say in the facts that when you say we're not just one, two, three pieces away, especially on your defensive line, you know you have a ton of guys that were missing and a lack of talent.
Speaker 6: One side of the football's got it, You've got to make short one side is right. And if I'm shindy, I'm making sure that offense is right because you have more pieces on that offensive side than you do the defensive side of ast me a twenty fourteen. All right, defensively, you know we were I was out there, you know, Sean Lee and then you had you know, George Selvis and Nan Sea's like, we were a hoshpodge of defense. But we knew that offensive side of the football was our powerhouse. We had the Marco Murray, we had a Romo, we had Dez Brian, Terrence william.
Speaker 4: Beastrol the clock.
Speaker 6: But you don't have And I'm so sad you that's so instead of you know, like I said, instead of making sure, let me take care of this defense, let me take care of this office. Make sure one side of the football can be dominant and be explosive. And to me, it's got to be that office side of football because you have more big time pieces.
Speaker 3: All right, let's get a break in here. They've they've hired some assistant coaches, so let's dip some more into that. Next right here on the player Siboty by risk of crit came in on Dallas Cowboys dock.
Speaker 10: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated Colster cankuler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yettie dot Com. Check it out today. Yetti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey Danny McCrae, here for Smoothie King. You know every great workout deserves a great reward, so treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut and top with the chocolate, hazelnut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and a workout buddy, so you bo can stay on track even after you leave the track. Scoop up new coconuts smoothie bowls only a Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 4: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 8: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Hey, Cowboy fans. I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 9: Prescott keeps it slides with the first.
Speaker 11: Down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle.
Speaker 11: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: To the players Loud Cowboy Nation.
Speaker 5: Amanda Foster has been named Your twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Family of the Year presenting by Captain Morgan for her dedication to the team and spicing up the game. Vote for Amanda to be named the Ultimate NFL Fan of the Year at nfl dot com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't appreciate it. See what you got, Bick. We wait to that. We wait till the we wait. We go to break though. See what you got, Thick. There's always one player in the locker room. Nigga here. It's okay. I'm the nigga gonna turn the bottom.
Speaker 3: Heck Maharrison Tray more.
Speaker 5: Love the players lounge. Man, this is I'm call my therapist. Right at your therapists outside the door. Man, hold up a yellow car. This yellow car town right.
Speaker 3: Brian shot high head coach. On Monday, Matt Iberflus has been named the defensive coordinator. The special teams coach is the former forty nine ers d C from last year, Nick Sourson. Defensive pass coordinator is Andre Curtis. He was in Chicago with eber Flus. He was also interviewed as the Rooney Rule candidate, so they could hire eber Flus linebacker coaches Dave, Yeah, you had to, Yeah, you had to. I mean Jill about to say, but Dave like Phonsie Barganzi, Dave Borganzi who was here in twenty twelve and twenty thirteen, So Church, you can go ahead and give us a little lowdown on him. Defensive line coach Aaron White Cotton from the Jets, and they are interviewing Clayton Adams, according to Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports, as the offensive coordinator. He's the old line coach in Arizona. So what can you tell us about young Dave? Yes, Dave Burganhi. So when I was here, Berganzi was. He was a part of that Ryan crew. So I believe it not Rob?
Speaker 4: Was it Rex? Yeah? Yeah? Rex? He was a rob. Yeah. Rob.
Speaker 6: So he was a part of that that regime with Flues and all those guys.
Speaker 4: But when I was here, he was more of like a quality control.
Speaker 6: He was a guy that kind of held up the scout cards, make sure everybody's doing they you know, things on scout team, and I'm assumed he worked his way up. So he was a young guy, energetic guy, you know, got along with everybody in the in the linebacker.
Speaker 4: Room that he was a part of.
Speaker 6: Sean Lee spoke very highly of him when he was, you know, working with our defenses.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited to see what he got. But that's a strong room. You gotta to me when he was here. This could have changed. This was you know, eight years ago. It could have changed.
Speaker 3: But he was very.
Speaker 6: Similar to how I see kind of Kellen Morrish when it's kind of like, oh yeah, guys, he ever, you know, we're gonna do this. He wasn't a strong president. He wasn't a strong presence, but that was back then. Like I said, he was a quality control type guy. And you know, you got to earn your stripes and I get all that. So back then he was kind of, you know, not the strong. He might have got some like you know what, I can control this room because when he wasn't a position coach back then, you know, I ain't got your own room. You're telling grown men what to do, so you gotta kind of say it with your chest. And hopefully he's he's learned that over the years.
Speaker 4: We know that can go one or two ways.
Speaker 7: It comes back to either you overcompensate for it and now that you're saying it with your yest because people have this preconceived notion of you to where you're like, yo, it's not gonna work, or you can get your voice to where it's like I'm still calm, collective and the same guy. But get my point across.
Speaker 3: So let me ask.
Speaker 5: I had a question about the guy from Chicago. He's the he was the dB coach for Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yes, Andre Curtis.
Speaker 5: Andre Curtis, it's the guy that the coach that gave up the hell Mary to the commanders.
Speaker 4: I understand me. It was his rule this game and then the help.
Speaker 3: Wow he was you know, can I give Andre a little bit of nobody coaches at he is. Nobody goes out there, hey man, get out here and go mess with the crowd. Then when when the play happens, go run do everything we tell you not to do.
Speaker 4: To tip it up and lose the game. Yeah, he doesn't coach that.
Speaker 3: I'm so so, I mean, I know what you're saying, like, really, oh you that guy that mean's a great question to ask him.
Speaker 4: When he's coming what what happened? We want to know.
Speaker 5: And then because we needed that, we needed that, we needed that hel help get fired.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, was it a rookie that did that.
Speaker 4: In the corner? Wasn't a rookie? I thought he was the second year, second and third year about bor go back to bor guns. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The last linebacker coach was Scott McCurry. A lot of players here had a lot of issues with So my my thought on that is, I don't know if it get worse from what we've did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 6: I'm always you know, he can't get much worse to neck, you know, put me on there was all right, nobody ran out here said boy, I'm miss him.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It was one of those that's a nice way of saying it was a lot.
Speaker 3: Of you didn't You didn't hear you, Michael Parson ain't on the podcast say I'm miss him.
Speaker 4: See that's and that's the thing. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: But what do they not saying?
Speaker 4: That's what.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Sometimes the things you don't say is the loudest things in the room.
Speaker 4: A good brother once.
Speaker 5: Told, well, do you feel like ibra Flus When we asked the question last week about being a what if does his coach need to be more Romo Dak friendly or or Michael friendly. Do you feel like ibra Flus is is the defensive coordinator specifically for the talent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he can handle it. Yeah, he's one of those guys. He can handle the room. You know, he was in rooms, you know, with d Wear with all those guys. He can handle the talent and he can get the most out of players.
Speaker 4: He's an ex and O guy.
Speaker 6: But he's also a guy that you know, will let his players do what they gotta do, you know, to get the most out of them. He's kind of He's not a guy that's going to be like you gotta be two yards outside dash at not but the football now, he's gonna let you flow a little bit as long as you're making plays. And from when I was here, he held guys accountable. Now, you know, it was a much older team we had back then, and you had those leaders that also held players accountable. And that's the that's the thing with this with this defense, it's real.
Speaker 4: Young, but it's real young.
Speaker 7: Not to overtalk you, but I can speak on that because I also have Iberflus here at my tenure, and when I was here, the defense was relatively pretty young. I mean, you have a couple guys that have been here established as far as Skandrick, but you had d Law who was just kind of still emerging. Randy Grevgory that really wasn't in the building, so even though it was his fourth year, it was really like a rookie year, so he was just not coming on the year. Afterwards, you had Taco Charlton who was the first round pick and deal had the strong personality that he had and entitlement to where you had all type of different personalities, a lot of young guys but a few older guys.
Speaker 4: Kendrick you know how he is within his.
Speaker 7: Own self, and Iberflus coached everybody from top to bottom.
Speaker 4: It didn't matter.
Speaker 7: Like I remember him specifically calling me out because I wasn't supposed to be a guy that made the roster, but he was like, yo, I'm not here for x's and oo's. This is what we're going to do in technique. But the most important thing that I need from y'all is effort. Effort, effort, effort, and what d Moore is giving me chasing to the ball and this and that. Some of y'all better get ready because we got a transfer rule, Taco. You think just because your first round pick de long like we we we drive this competition factor and so.
Speaker 4: I bring that. I bring that to say that.
Speaker 7: Mind you, we know that people don't talk the first round picks like that in their first year. He single handedly called this man out and said, no, you're gonna play special team. You haven't earned the right to be a starter on this team. So the best is going to play. And that's what I.
Speaker 4: Flew saw so excited he saw what he called it. He said, you get your transfer paper quick.
Speaker 3: So before we head out of here. Berries other teams Jacksonville another coach, another coach tradition, Jacksonville, Prescoon was another coach. Chris played a sound bite and Liam coach worse than I even the first one, dude ball, He's like trying to whisper.
Speaker 4: But yeah, at the same time, I just can't do the most politely aggressive thing and go on to the Night and Tron.
Speaker 3: They're gonna put you on the Titan.
Speaker 4: Trawing and Duvall Jacksonville, you're gonna do vall, How can you let him do that?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 7: Like your head coach has the embody, And that's what we talked about with shoddy embody. What you're bringing to the city and you're telling me that, Hey, for a franchise that has been doing.
Speaker 4: Bad, haven't been doing good? That defense in there. You bring somebody in there that's cupcake. He's just you know what, he's one of those He looks like a socially awkward guy. You know what I mean. It's not maybe not it's not his his his ministry. Man. You know, it's the question ones you got to watch it's to be a coach. No, no, but he's probably like you know, it's probably good in the room with Street.
Speaker 7: So you're basically saying he's that nerdy guy that you walk in there and when you're playing mad and you'll be like, oh, I'm about to dog walk him, and then all of a sudden he pulled everything out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The next thing is hearing Kellen Moore when he gets named head coach.
Speaker 6: Bro doing Kellen man do that killer got by the way. But that next week, that next week, yeah, we got.
Speaker 4: Right now speaking you know I know who you know what you know what I was wrong. I was wrong. The Eagles made it to the Super Bowl. Man, you weren't. You didn't pick the n f C.
Speaker 3: You picked the n f C East champion to go face the can see the Chiefs and Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Did hurt young one, It hurts you, but it's all good. I hate your good baby Many I'm not going.
Speaker 7: I'm here, Hey, bttle friends, before this is over with. He's got been talking all this trash. You know, I was the new guy and I tried to let it go before we end. He's been talking about this q dog quarterback I.
Speaker 4: Mean running back. I mean, I'm sorry, mister Schools in his box that has how many times has he thrown over two hundred in the last nine Gamespens September.
Speaker 7: It's on the same hand, I can tell you that I know the number, but I'm waiting for the fact checker to take it.
Speaker 3: But he's not.
Speaker 4: But that's what that being said. So I hope, I hope.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna tell you like this, if your boy killing our former teammate can do what he's been doing and leaning on his tools, but do not try to go out there and create a quarterback. Because you've seen him make the comment, Oh, I feel like I got on the straight jacket. Why would you say that? And you're in the super Bowl. What ain't fixed, ain't broken, So go ahead. I hope that he can be the quarterback and he does what you say and put on. But if he does not and do what everybody else is thinking that he's gonna do, it's gonna be a bad day for you. Buy Anthony Richardson to go ahead.
Speaker 4: What ain't rich On? He plays? He plays at the end of the season and doesn't count.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.