Speaker 1: Hello everybody, Welcome to the Fantasy Pros Baseball podcast. This is the cycle. I am Ryan Warmley, joined as I am every week by Mike Mahyor Mayor. We had two guests last week. This week it's just the two of us for the whole show, so hopefully people don't get too.
Speaker 2: Bored of us.
Speaker 1: How'd you feel about our first episode and, more importantly, the first week of the twenty twenty four Fantasy Baseball season.
Speaker 3: I felt good about both. I'm in a bunch of leagues, so it's hard to say how I'm doing overall, but I don't have any teams that have completely fallen on their face, so that's a win so far. It's a long season and we'll, you know, we'll see how it goes. But so far, feeling good about everything, except for the first news item we're going to talk about.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was gonna say, really, all you can hope for for your team in the first week is do not have any major injuries. We do have a major injury, which will be our first item here. Before we get into that, I just want to mention everybody the best freeway to show their support and encourage more content like this is to leave a positive review at fantasypros dot com slash MLB review and if you ask a question in your view, may Or and I will definitely be sure to answer it in next week's episode.
Speaker 2: That's a great way.
Speaker 1: If you have a question about your own roster, waivers, pick up, a trade off, or you've received anything like that, we will definitely answer that on the following week's episode if you leave that question in your review, let's jump into rounding the bases. And by the way, just because we are still early here, you know, Mayor and I we have a sense of what's kind of the big picture of the show is, but we want to hear from the audience too. We want this to service the fans first and foremost. So if they think that this opening section should be more headlines, bas if they think it should be more of like a statistical deep dive, whatever you guys are looking for, we want to kind of match that. So please feel free to give us feedback as we are in the early stages of this show of what you would like the show to be, and if you think there's areas where we can you know, do something better or dive deeper here or what have you. You know, we want to hear about that, so please let us know as we get started with the show here. But for rounding the bases this week. Up first, it is Urie Perez. This news broke just a couple hours ago go as we see here recording on Thursday. Obviously, there was a lot of uncertainty with his arm, you know, injury stuff in the late offseason. He's the guy that people were very excited about, as you know, a breakout pitcher, very young, very very talented, one of the most exciting young pitching prospects in the sport. You know, had the tough news about you know, the elbow issues and whatnot, and then now we sit here and he will be getting Tommy John and not pitching for the entire twenty twenty four season. Mayor what was your initial takeaway besides just like sadness.
Speaker 3: My initial takeaway was obviously feeling very disappointed for him, so you know, want to be sensitive to that, but also very happy that I didn't actually draft him anywhere. I don't have him in dynasty leagues, which you know I wish I did, and I don't have him in any redraft leagues just because with all the arm uncertainty and the rumblings that came out over the over the summer, I just had him buried in my rankings. I actually considered removing him from my rankings because you know, we do the accuracy rankings contest of Fantasy Pros, and I, you know, I kind of wanted to be ahead of the curve, and I was. I just thought to myself, this guy really could miss the entire season. This is this does not sound good. And before the accuracy contest locks before the season, I sat there at my computer and debated just removing him from my rankings, but I didn't want to risk being that wrong, so I just kind of like buried him below consensus. And unfortunately I was correct and that he's not going to pitch this season and he might miss He's probably going to miss, you know, the beginning of next season two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be hard for to imagine him being ready at the beginning of next year, which is just it's so so such a bummer.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: I would like to also take a moment to call out Chris Welsh, our colleague and friend who I asked him for some advice on a keeper league decision. I had to make between Uri Perez and Bobby Miller. Both were extremely cheap in that salary cap format, and he led me to Uri Perez. This was before they stuff popped up. I had to make the decision early, but he definitely led me astray on that one. So thank you very much, I said sarcastically too, Welsh.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to, like actually thank him at the beginning of that. I didn't realize the whole thing was sarcastic until the well done.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I do speaking of Welsh, just from the dynasty perspective on Uri, do you see this as like a Bilo opportunity? Are you nerv I mean, we've seen plenty of pictures come back from Tommy John at this point right in the history of that surgery.
Speaker 2: It's still scary.
Speaker 1: It's still a long time till he will be theoretically back to quote unquote normal, if he ever gets there again.
Speaker 2: But the arm was so exciting. He's so young.
Speaker 1: Is this a guy that you're maybe targeting a dynasty trades? Is this a guy that you're selling if you can get anything for him, If you're the guy who's rostering him, what are you doing with him long term?
Speaker 3: I'm definitely not selling him if I'm already rostering him. Ideally, if you're in a dynasty league, you have either the roster space or the IL slots to just stash him for a year and a half, which is what you're going to want to do. He still doesn't even turn twenty one years old for a couple of weeks. So this is a really young, like you already said, uber talented pitcher, you know, number one pitcher in baseball upside like, he's that good, he could be that good, and so you don't want to sell low on him, and you could want to buy low on him if you can. It depends on obviously roster space and what you want to do this season. I'm usually more aggressive than like trying to compete now in dynasty leagues, but that also includes like not being really heavy into like deeper prospects who are going to take a few years to develop. So I could I would even potentially, you know, if you have rookie drafts, like maybe take some of those really young prospects that you're going to you're gonna wait on anyway, and flip them for a uri Perez because obviously we've seen with prospects a lot of them can flame out, even the top prospects can flame out. Eurropres we've already seen how good he can be.
Speaker 1: And I would say too, like, keep it in mind for later in the season if you you know, want to try and win now, but it turns out like oh, you know, you get off to a slow start, a couple of your other guys get injured or whatever, then maybe go make a trade offer and say, listen, you're still not going to get this guy back for you know, until the beginning of you know, not not even at the beginning of next season, and you don't even know if he's gonna get all the way back. I'd like to take that risk and take a swing. So just keep it in mind for later in the year if you want to try and buy a low on him. You don't have to do it right this second. Let's go to the next item here, and I'm just going to kind of clear the paint and let you go to work on the Red Sox pitching staff.
Speaker 3: So the Red Sox pitching staff we've seen, we heard throughout the off season that you know, they overhauled everything new pitching coach and Andrew Bailey obviously a new technically general manager, it's not his official title, but Craig Breslo, the high and Bloom era was remarkably over after so many painful tenure years under him. I could not have been happier about that. And then they also brought in I think he sent His name is Body, Kyle Body. Hopefully I'm pronouncing that, no body. I think it's Kyle Body, who's like the founder of drive Line, and we heard all off season they just overhauled their not only their planned for pitching, but like pitching development, how they're going to, you know, talk to their pitchers, how they're going to present them with the information, how they're going to attack matchups. And from what we've seen through the first week of the season, through a turn and they half in the rotation, the results have been fantastic. And I don't want this to just be like a Red Sox homer take, because I am a Red Sox fan, and as you know, and as people who listen to this show and haven't heard me on leading off more who have listened to me on Leading Off, No, no one hates the Red Sox more than me or more than most Red Sox fans, and so I'm not going to give you homer takes. But what we are seeing is some pretty remarkable stuff from this Red Sox pitching staff. So, as of going yesterday's game, the Red Sox pitching ranks e RA first whip first FIP, uh yeah, whip first FIP first x FIP, first average against first, strikeout to walk ratio first, literally the first in baseball in a ton of a ton of different numbers. There. Their e RA is was a I think after yesterday's game is a one point zero three. As a staff, their starters in particular forty seven strikeouts against three walks, just incredible numbers. And it's all just the whole the whole new pitching program that they put in. They're leaning away from fastballs especially. You know, their first matchup of the season was against the Mariners, a really good fastball hitting team, and so they just didn't throw them fastballs. And then as they saw in I think it was Garrett Whitlock's start, the Mariners adjusted, they started looking for sweepers and curve balls, and so he just started pounding them with sinkers and just had them off, you know, off balance the entire time, and so far they have the lowest fastball right in the league. Just listening to Andrew Bailey talk, that's something that's gonna stay. And they don't have like the biggest names. Obviously they traded Chris Sale, Lucas Giolito is out for the year, and there are still we're going to talk about him later in the show, but there are still some pitchers on the Red Sox staff who are available in leagues who like you have to take flyers on just based on these early results right.
Speaker 1: Now, if you had to, let's make this actionable, if you had to pick one player outside a guy we're going to talk later, you know, for whatever category he fits, if you had to pick one player in the staff that you think, this is like legit and we're going to see this continue on throughout the year. This is them elevating their game and one that you think maybe regresses a bit moving forward rest of season.
Speaker 2: Do you have a name for either of those?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. So looking at it as a staff, Brian Beao has the highest ceiling just because he's the highest, you know, kind of like prospect pedigree, I think you're going to see peaks and balies with him all year, but I think he has the highest ceiling. Nick Pavetta and Cutter Crawford, who kind of like slot in second and third in their rotation, they have better fastballs, so I think we're going to see more fastballs from them as opposed to some of the other starters who are going to lean more on off speed stuff. I think that's good and bad, but it'll be interesting to see because those two in particular have their fastballs to kind of like fall back on. I'm a huge Garrett Whitlock fan, always have been. And then Tanner Howck, we'll talk about him more a bit later. I think he's intriguing because he has some really good off speed stuff. He doesn't kind of have the same fastball some of the other guys have, so I think we could see some interesting fluctuations there. But I don't want to give away too much there because we're going to talk about him later. I feel like Cutter Crawford is probably the one that I still think you need to roster everywhere right now, but that we're going to you could see some bigger valleys throughout the season, just and I you know, there's also the possibility that the league just the US, like, they see what the red Socks are doing and they just adjust, and this is a short term thing. That's possible too. I just think in the short term, you have to roster everyone on the staff. Given the early results.
Speaker 1: Let's go to third base here and round in the bases. Ronel Blanco, obviously it's been a couple of days, but through a no hitter. First no hitter of the season, a very surprising one considering the source. It came from somebody who likely wouldn't have a spot in the Astros rotation if not for injuries elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Is older.
Speaker 1: You know, he's been We talked about it before the show. He's been in a journeyman. It's this is not some hot shot prospect that was just waiting for his opportunity, had a good spring training, obviously, just looked completely dominant.
Speaker 2: Uh was it Monday? Was it Monday that he didn't no hitter?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Whatever day was, I was.
Speaker 3: I was sick all week, so they all all the days seems the.
Speaker 1: Days run together, which is something I actually love about the baseball season. But yeah, whatever day it was, he looked dominant, and you know there are leagues out there that are on weekly waivers that we want to to talk about him about four.
Speaker 2: Is he somebody that you are sprinting to pick up off the waiver wire.
Speaker 1: Is he somebody that you are walking to print pick up off the waiver wire. Is he somebody that you are ignoring on the waiver wire completely? Are you picking him up and trying to sell him high immediately? What's your approach for a guy who likely wasn't rostered in your league unless you were in a really deep league.
Speaker 3: A really deep league. I am sorry, I am limping to the waiver wire to pick him up, especially especially if you need an injury replacement. My initial I was really sick on Monday, so I didn't even watch it live. I just woke up and kind of rewatched the game from my deathbed and not my actual deathbed. Obviously, obviously I made it here. But I was surprised because I didn't really remember this guy's name, Like he's one of those names where I'm like, oh, I remember that guy. I didn't realize he's still in the league. And then I looked him up and I was like, I didn't realize he's been on the astros for eight years in they're broken, you know, in the organization for eight years, and you kind of look through the numbers, they're not great. Like he's kind of a really good story in the sense that good for him for he's thirty years old. He's gonna be thirty one in a few months. He's kind of bounced. He's been a believer for most of his career. He's had a few they've been trialing him more as a starter to last since last year. Really is there for the first time they tried it, And the numbers throughout the miners, like weren't great. Normally when you see a guy come up through the miners, you see him, you know, the natural progression is you move up a level, the numbers are okay, then you dominate, Then you move up a level, the numbers a level off, and you kind of see that progression. His numbers throughout not great at mostly any level. He just kind of refused to go away, and so credit to him for that. And so my initial thought was I have no interest in this person. And then the more you look at it, there is there are some intriguing things there. The main thing that could lead this to lead him to stick around at least a little bit. And we don't even know, by the way, if his roster, if his stott in the rotation is going to be guaranteed going forward, because they're going to be getting some pitchers back. But he used to be more of a two pitch pitcher. He was a fastball slider guy. Last year he threw his change up nine percent of the time. The other day, his change up was he threw it more than any other pitch. He threw it thirty four point three percent of the time, more than his slider, more than his fastball, and more than his curveball that he only threw a few times. And that was obviously huge for him, and the Blue Jays were not ready for it, and it could have just been a scouting report thing. Maybe the Blue Jays were completely not ready for him to have a change up that he not only used but featured throughout the game. And it also labeled him to get out left entitators. And so is that a tangible change that we can rely on going forward? Maybe? Is it just a short term thing? Probably? Should you pick him up also? Probably? And should you sell him high? Definitely?
Speaker 1: I think I tend to think that at Fantasy Baseball, managers are a little too hesitant to drop guys that they drafted or really liked the sleepers in the offseason early. If a guy throws a no hitter, I'm gonna I'm gonna pick him up. I'm I mean, unless my roster is absolutely loaded, Like I'm not gonna force it if I if I really don't have the room.
Speaker 2: But chances are you have the room and you just don't know it yet.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna be willing to make those moves early and try and hit on the guy who's a breakout. And I'm not saying that Renel Blanco is like definitely a breakout superstar pitcher, Like I recognize what the scope of his career has looked like, and I recognize that this is a one off start and he's not even guaranteed a spot in the Astros rotation moving forward. But and so you know, if we're talking FAB, I'm not gonna spend fifty percent of my FAB and the guy just get they're a new hitter, right, But I'm gonna try. I'm I'm gonna say, if I have room, which I think most people probably do. I'm gonna at least take a shot and see what his next start looks like, and and maybe you drop him again soon. But you know what, it's not the worst thing in the world that have guys at the end of your bench that are droppable. If you drop somebody and pick up Blanco and he stinks the next two starts, guess what, there's gonna be somebody else that you want to pick up, and now you have an obvious guy to drop two. So I'm just always gonna be more aggressive early in the season, at least in terms of making attempts to get players, even if I'm not gonna blow my whole budget on it or you know, anything anything like that. Let's get to the last topic here and rounding the bases. The Pittsburgh Pirates. Are they a feared lineup? I wrote down some notes here because I was looking through I was I just got I mean, I know they'd been hitting well, but I pulled up all the kind of team hitting rankings just because I was kind of curious, you know, just what the top looked like, and you know, kind of putting all the data together. Top five in runs per game in Baseball so far. The Orioles are five, no surprise. The Dodgers are four, no surprise. The Diamondbacks are three. Good line up.
Speaker 2: The Braves are two, obviously no surprise.
Speaker 1: Number one, one of only two teams averaging over seven runs a game are your Pittsburgh Pirates. They are the only lineup in baseball whose team on base percentage is above four hundred. It's at exactly four hundred at least as it was as last night. Even with the second most runners left on base in baseball, those are scoring opportunities and also tied for the third fewest home runs only four on the season. They lead major League Baseball and scoring kind of similar to the Red Sox pitching staff. It really just wanted to highlight, like this really surprising development and just that they've been scoring a lot. Do you think there's a degree of sustainability here? Is there a player on the Pirates that you're most like, this is a breakout that's driving this train is or you just kind of say, you know, it was a fun first week. These kinds of things happen, and it's just a fun nugget.
Speaker 3: It's a fun first week, and these kinds of things happen, and it's a fun nugget. That one. We'll go with that one. Can you tell me the two teams the Pirates have played so far out looking I feel like Marlins.
Speaker 1: No, the Marlin, I had the schedule up already. The Marlins obviously is like kind of the big you know, red Flag one and then the NAT's also not good beautiful.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing with the Pirates and no, I don't think it's sustainable. They do have a few players are like I don't think they have staying power. They are as an overall team, someone I was interested in this offseason, just you know, if a lot of things go well, I could see them competing and like sticking around, like if Mitch Keller, you know, pitches like he can do his ceiling. Jared Jones is obviously very exciting. I'm a huge O'Neal Cruise fan. I was actually lamenting the beginning of the season because I don't know if you remembered, but the Pirates opened up the season against four consecutive left handed starters, and I was thinking, is this guy ever gonna face a right handed batter or a pitcher? And and he was like batting lower in the lineup too, and finally he faced a couple of righties and he was batting leadoff. I was like, okay, got but you would think with those numbers that you know, someone like o'neel Cruz went off and that was kind of leading the charge. Not the case. His numbers have been fine, but like nothing, he hasn't been like carrying him. So that part of it is interesting. But I don't think it's sustainable overall. But it is fun and I do, you know, think and hope that they can kind of put it all together as a as a team that's like better in real life than they will be accumably for fantasy. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I fully agreed, to be clear. I just thought it was kind of a fun you know, one of those first week like standouts that I wanted to mention. It's it's you know, I like Brian Reynolds, like, you know, he's a guy that would I would say, I believe in there are players in this team that you know O'Neal Cruz, but you look at a lot of the guys who are you know, kind of above average hitters right now in terms of ops plus, and it's you know, Connor Joe, how you know sustainable? Is that one sixty one ops plus? Probably not very you know, rowdy Telez. I'm not sure how much of a believer I am in him at this point. That's really me trying to but it's Michael A. Taylor, So uh yeah, I just would have meant you to point out that the stats have been quite impressive during their hot start to the season. The other guy who we didn't end up talking about, but I sort of wrote tongue in cheek in the outline, was is Mookie Bets better than Ronald o'cunya now, and you know, talk about a hot start?
Speaker 2: So just we didn't. We didn't.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna like dive deep in him or anything, but I want to ask you, if you were redrafted today, would you consider drafting Mooki Bets ahead of Ronald a'kunya.
Speaker 3: I'm really just happy that people are not going to doubt Mooki Bets anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, per per the athletic or the.
Speaker 3: Athletic, all the doubters out there, he's just proven them all wrong every day. No, I would not, but I'm a huge Mookie Bets fan, and I you know, there are. I don't think you can just because of what Acunya did and what Acunya's ceiling is. But key bats is obviously phenomenal, and the fact that he's going to be second shortstop outfield eligible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not without value. It's pretty insane. All right, let's move to the next section here. Normally this will be we're kind of kind of pick our favorite Bilos and sell highs. It's still early enough in the season that we thought it didn't quite warrant that conversation yet, so we're going to do instead Fluke or for Real. I'm gonna throw out a couple of players. We're gonna decide if they're hot starts, and we specifically picked players who are off to hot starts. We didn't, you know, talk about any of the guys who are off to you know, slumps like Lindor is not on here or anything that he's been brutal. Yeah, Fluke or for Real. For these six players, we'll start with a guy that you really wanted to talk about, and that's Garrett Crochet.
Speaker 2: Fluke or for Real.
Speaker 3: So Garrett Cruchet. Crochet is someone that I felt was hard to fit into this category. I initially had him as a sell high because I think he's a cell high. So I think he's kind of a fluke end of for real, which is cheating, but I think the talent is real. What I wonder is how long we're going to get this for? And also I mean that's that's the main thing. So like, let's go through his profile. He's a former first round pick, twenty twenty, first round pick. He they want to make him starter. He's been a reliever, he had Tommy John surgery in twenty twenty two. He's barely pitched since being drafted. So last season twenty twenty three, twenty five innings pitched, twenty twenty two, zero innings pitched because he had Tommy John surgery. Twenty twenty one, fifty four in the third innings pitch, and then twenty twenty six innings pitched. So over the last four full seasons or you know, yeah, four full years coming into this year, it is not four seasons because he missed an entire one, but four years coming into this year, eighty five total innings pitched. So even if we are right about garat Crochet and he's breaking out in a big way, how many are you getting out of him this year as a guy who's still word you know, less than a year or so removed from Tommy John Surgery who threw twenty five innings last year, Like, are you even going to get And there were even some rumblings in the past that like they were going to send him the Michael Kopak route where he was going to do some bulk relief for a while, to kind of like move him back into a starting to transition in from the bullpen back into like a starting role. That the plan was going to be maybe some bulk relief. Obviously they wanted to get him into the starting rotation, but there's there's zero chance that he is in this starting rotation the entire season and throws more than one hundred and fifty innings. There's a very low chance he throws more than one hundred innings. I think we're probably going to see him as a starter close to the All Star break, and then he's going to be in the bullpen. And that's not to say if we're right about this breakout, that's not to say that's not valuable, because one half of a really good pitcher is really valuable. Less valuable in head to head because it would really hurt to not have him for the playoff. But if you can get that first half in a roto league and build up those numbers, that's really valuable. Then there is the question like is this legit. It looks legit, the fastball is legit, the numbers look legit. Very small sample size, but we'll see. So I think the talent is for real, that the pedigree is there. I don't know that we're going to see a sixteen to wayne to one strikeout to walk ratio going forward given what we've you know, not that we've seen a ton of him in the past, but you know, this is a guy last year that walked in you know, again, very small sample size, twelve to two thirds innings, walked thirteen guys and strike out twelve. Walked more than he struck out. So it's hard to kind of like not get excited when you see this hot start. But also he's just so high.
Speaker 1: For me, I think I think it's worth reading the stat lines and I'll frame it like this. You go six innings, five hits, one run, no walks, eight straight out, eight strikeouts against the Tigers.
Speaker 2: You have my curiosity.
Speaker 1: You go seven innings, three hits, one run, one walk, eight strikeouts against the Braves, You have my attention, and I.
Speaker 3: Now do it against the Pirates and really really impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Imagine how good he'd be if he was in the Red Sox rotation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: He By the way, it's funny, I love how baseball reference when you're looking at like day's rest for the first game of the season, that just is ninety nine because that's what they do for anything at the start. Just makes me laugh, like, oh, he's been really well rested before this one. Yeah, I would say I think I think your assessment is quite fair. We've talked about before, you and me behind the scenes, about how there's a difference between a sell and to sell high. You know, you're not saying get rid of this guy at any cost, but you're saying, if you can sell him for a proven asset that will last you the whole year that you are a stronger believer in because of his hot start, then that might be prudent. So I'm with you there. I think he's I think he's talented guy. Obviously, I'm not going on a limb saying that and again, like see, I had you know, people reaching out to me. It is actually the second week in Arrow I've referenced to this. One listener of the show, you know, reached out to be Are you in the league where he picked up Garrett Kroscher?
Speaker 2: Are you starting him against the Braves?
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's that kind of like opponent where you have to actually question even if it's a guy that you really believe in, and when he when he has an adding like he did against them, I'm going to call that for real, even if we're going to say it's maybe not the most sustainable, if we can make that distinction. The other guy you really wanted to include in this segment is Bryce Terrang.
Speaker 3: Bryce Terrang, Yes, and he's someone that I was tweeting about the other day and got to pushback about. So I definitely wanted to include him and talk about him more on the show. But I do think you're absolutely right. There's a there's a and And I got into this a little bit when I tweeted about Bryce Terrang because he had two more stolen bases the other day, giving him six on the season. And there's a big difference between like saying you need to sell this guy, and you should sell high. Because when you're saying sell hi, I'm not saying the guy stinks. We're just saying the personived value out there is higher than what I or we or what you should think is the actual value. And so that's why, like Garrett Crochet is a must add right now. Like I'm not saying, like this guy stinks, you need to sell him. Like if you you know, you probably didn't draft him, or if you did, you drafted a very late as a flyer, and kudos to you you are being proven correct. Or you picked him up at the first start, and kudos to you. You have him on your roster and you have the decision, do I want to ride him for as long as he's going to you know, dominate or you know, hope the wheels don't fall off, or can I now sell him to someone who really is desperate for pitching and is seeing the same performances that I'm seeing for more than what he's worth. And that's why I would sell. And the same thing for Bryce Terrang. Bryce terrang two more stone bases the other day, giving him six on the season. Another former first round pick he's got no power. You're not going to get any power out of Bryce terrang and he's another guy who he's a mustage just because And someone like responded to me on Twitter saying that he has like fifty stolen base upside. I think that was a little out there, you know, based on just reality. But he is a guy who can run. It seems like they're going to let him run, but he struggles to hit lefties. He is probably going to platoon and could lose his job. Like, there's no guarantee he's even in the lineup in three weeks from now. And so do you want to gamble on thirty to forty stolen base upside on a guy who hit two eighteen last year and might sit against lefties, or do you want to see if you can sell him. I don't know if you're gonna be able to sell him very high, because unless someone's really desperate for stolen bases, which look, I see a lot of different leagues out there and a lot of different fantasy managers doing really strange things. There's someone in many leagues looking to trade for someone like Bryce to rank.
Speaker 1: I guarantee there is a manager out there who drafted a sterior we saying he will solve my stolen bases for the season, and now is panic and would be happy to add to I guarantee it absolutely.
Speaker 3: I also watched that game the other day with those two stolen bases, and they were not that he's not going to run. And I believe he's a stolen base threat. You know, he has shown in the past. He's stole twenty six bases last year twenty twenty two, triple A still thirty four. He can run and he will run. That being said the other day, people were going nuts because they were like, oh, Bryce Rangs told two more paces. Today has six stolen bases in five games. The first stolen base was a pass ball, like he was running, but it was a passball. And the second stolen base he stole, he stole third on a pitch that the Christian Vasquez tried to frame the third strike and it was essentially catcher's indifference. So he stole two bases without a throw. And I was like, all right, he's going to get credit for those stolen bases, but they're not the most impressive stolen bases. Now they still coun't I can't take it away from him. But yeah, there are some things to be concerned about Bryce Trang And look, if you need stelling bases, stream him for a while, keep them on your roster. If someone wants to offer me a decent starting pitcher for price Rang and I need to starting pitching or even a reliever, I'll you know, I'll gladly trade.
Speaker 2: He's he's an intriguing ad.
Speaker 1: But at the core of the question, fluck Er for real, I think likely Fluke. I don't think he's gonna have an opis over one thousand this season. Yeah, particularly given the lack of power. I obviously you know the batting average is gonna come way down, we would think. And again the soil bases I think will be there to a degree.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I don't think he's gonna get fifty. It would be awesome if he did. You have credit to him. But I think if you're asking.
Speaker 2: Me Fluker for real, I'm gonna go with Fluke. We'll go a little quicker on the next few Oswaldo Cabrera.
Speaker 3: I would lean, do you want to just do Fluke or for real on these rapid fire or you want to you want to keep diving into into why I would lean fluke for Osmabo Cabrera.
Speaker 1: Let's go rapid fire, I will go fluke. Michael CONFORDO, I will go fluke. I will also go fluke.
Speaker 2: This is I.
Speaker 1: He's the one I'm most potentially interested in saying for real of this rapid fire segment, JJ Bleda, I will say he is a fluke.
Speaker 3: For me, I will say he's a fluke as well.
Speaker 1: Former high draft pick pedigree, but the bad of ball data is not actually that encouraging despite the decent status start the year. Andre Simenez, I actually, you know what, this is the one I would say I would be most inclined to say is for real.
Speaker 3: I would say that as well. I have a lot of concerns about Andre Simenez, and I kind of always have. I've I've always been a fan. But as you just mentioned, I think it was for Bladet. The batted ball data not great, kind of never has been great for Andre Semenez, but he just kind of outperforms it anyway, until you know, last year fifty home runs thirty stone basis two fifty. If you can get that again, I sign up for that, no problem. It's gonna be hard to get that consistent power based on his bad at ball numbers. But he also hit seventy num runs the year before, so maybe a shame on me for doubting his contact numbers. Maybe he just figured out how to beat the data.
Speaker 1: And I'm always a fan of a guy who brings a lot of like defensive value and base running value because I know it's going to keep them in the line up through the ups and downs of a season that every non superstar.
Speaker 2: Is going to have. I'm a fan.
Speaker 1: He's only twenty five, Like, I think that he could absolutely be, you know, just kind of leveling up his game to degree, and he's not gonna be like a super duper megastar. But I do like Anderson that is, and he's the guy I would mostly in towards for real. In that segment, let's head to Waivers Central. We'll start with the hitters. And you actually picked a hitter that I originally had in Fluke or for Real, So I guess to a degree you must think he's for real.
Speaker 3: Yes, and no, I stole Taylor Ward from Plucker for Reil because I needed a Waiver wire hitter, and I really couldn't decide on anyone, and I was looking at the Fantasy to Pro stats page, filtering it by VBR and consensus roster percent is trying to find someone who fit the bill of someone I would want to add in one of my many leagues. And I got to say, it's gross out there. I really hate the hitters on the open market, and I kept coming back to Taylor Ward and his three home runs, and I feel like I can take a flyer on Taylor Ward. Obviously, there are some concerns there, I think, especially if you're in a you know, in a deeper league or a five outfielder league where you need, you know, several outfielders. Definitely someone you can pick up. In twenty twenty two one hundred thirty five games to twenty three home runs in twenty twenty three, ninety seven games, fourteen home runs. Seeing a bit of a pattern here that he doesn't play full seasons. If he could stay healthy, he already has three home runs and six games. He's batting clean up behind Mike Trout, who also looks fantastic right now, you know, while he's on the field. Hopefully he stays on the field. It seems he's not going to steal a ton of bases, but it does seem like Ron Washington with the Angels, he's gonna let them run a little bit more so. He's never stolen more than five bases in a season, but he maybe you can get twenty five home runs, a decent batting average, you know, decent two above average, not three hundred, but like to sixty to seventy batting average, and like maybe he'll give you eight stolen bases on top of that. And in a lot of leagues, that's valuable. And he's available a lot in a lot of leagues. So he's someone I'm I'm interested in, definitely more interested in than the name you're going to say.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, if you want a guy who's available in a lot of leagues, boy, do I have a name for you. I literally wrote in the outline Charlie Blackman parentheses. I know, listen, you kind of explained to this decision already in that it's ugly out there. They're like, there's not a lot of available hitters that I'm particularly excited about, but I think it's worth noting that Blackman, I think can be a boring veteran type that if you are, particularly in a league that you need to start four or five outfielders. I know, he's thirty seven, I know the lineup stinks, but he's been hitting really well to.
Speaker 2: Start the year. It's I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't care that much about bad of ball data this early, necessarily, but it has looked really good compared to recent years.
Speaker 2: He's also done this all on the road.
Speaker 1: The Rockies don't have their home opener until tomorrow, so it's not like it's just a pure Cores effect. He's still bad in lead off, so he's gonna get you know, whatever runs they do score, he'll have the opportunity to score them. And yeah, I think you can get good batting average from him.
Speaker 2: Again, this is.
Speaker 1: Not somebody that's gonna like win you your league, and it's it's more of like a hey, like if you went heavy on infield in your draft and kind of you know, let outfield fall by the wayside.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that I think can give you some.
Speaker 1: Very cheap, very cheap Nobody is going to be trying to beat you to the waiver wire for him stats. You know, in really any format, especially when they started playing at course Field again, so I keep like kind of couching it because it feels so gross to say. You know, I'm recommending Charlie Blackman as my waiver ad but like I said, to your point, not the most appealing.
Speaker 2: Group of hitters on the waiver wire.
Speaker 1: And I think he's somebody that is probably being overlooked for what the actual stat line will be by the end of the season, just because he's old and people are kind of done with him.
Speaker 3: Did I make the case, No, But I will say I drafted him last year in TGFBI, which is a fifteen team, five outfitter league, so deep league. You need a lot of outfielders. And what you just said is why I drafted him. I was thinking, he's going to give me solid average. I'll get home runs in the teens. I'll get him super late, and he'll help me with batting average. He's not going to kill me anywhere else. I should get a ton of runs scored because he's gonna hit the top of that lineup. And man, was it a grossier he just I mean, he was fine. He got hurt though, so it kind of killed me. He didn't even play one hundred games. I think I got like six or seven home runs out of him eight looking at it now, eight home runs, two seventy nine batting average. I'll still hit him for that average. So yeah, I you know, he's just so old. He's just so old.
Speaker 1: I will admit I recognize that his bapup is four seventeen right now.
Speaker 2: He has one walk on the season.
Speaker 1: But you know what he also has is the most at bats in baseball without a strikeout so far this year. So that's something maybe even depending on your league, maybe that's really valuable. Of strikeouts really particularly hurt you. I listen, I get it. I'm not going to waste any more time trying to make the case.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: I wanted to pick somebody that was really cheap that I was sure would be available everywhere, and boy did I.
Speaker 2: Let's go to your favorite pitcher.
Speaker 3: So my favorite pitcher some we talked about a little bit earlier, and it's Tanner Hawk, and I could have you know, I don't want to make this whole episode of me talking about the Red Sox pitching, but too late, here we are. But I could have kind of gone with Garrett Whitlock because he's similarly rostered. I think he's slightly more rostered than Tanner Hawk because people have kind of seen that Garrett wit lock upside before. So I went with Hawck because he's available in seventy percent of Yahoo leagues and more than eighty percent of ESPN leagues, and we kind of already talked about it. The Red Sox have overhauled their entire pitching staff. The early returns have been phenomenal. Tanner Howck in his first start, six innings, ten strikeouts, no walks. I've never seen this before. His era is zero, his FIP is negative. It's zero, it's negative zero point zero two. I don't know that I've ever seen a negative fit before. Maybe I have, but I don't remember it. Obviously, again, really small sample size because we're just talking about one start, six innings, but we're already seeing a bunch of pitchers injured. The early returns in this Red Sox rotation and Red Sox pitching staff overall, which could be beneficial if you know the bullpen is pitching well too. You know, if you're in a league that counts wins, that can matter, or even you know a bullpen that can come and get you out of jams that can matter for your overall numbers going forward. And so yeah, I just think he's free. He's out there and a lot of waiver wires. I would I'm picking Tanner Hawk, but I really you should be taking the fire and anyone on the Red Sox staff, because who knows if any or all of them are going to have like staying power. But it's hard to argue with the early results. And I just you know, I think you have to keep taking a fire on those guys.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: We already talked about the Red Sox staff, So I'll move to my favorite pitcher on waivers, another guy who's available everywhere, Alec Marsh. He looked really good against the Orioles and that, as we talked about, they're a top five run.
Speaker 2: Scoring team so far the season.
Speaker 1: They're expected to be one of those elite offenses this season, and he like pretty much dominated them. Seven innings, two hits, one run, one walk, five strikeouts. He did it by like. I was really impressed with how he mixed up his pitches. Obviously as an Oriols fan, I watched that game very closely. He threw per stat Cast five different pitches in that game, forcing fastball, change up, sweeper, slider, sinker. None of those pitches he threw fewer than ten times, and none of those pitches he threw more than nineteen times. He mixed them all up incredibly well. He had the Orioles hitters, who are very good at being patient and finding hard contact, just really off balance the entire game. I know Marsh was like not good last year. He's only twenty five. Again, it's one start, right, so who's to say what's going to happen going forward? And I you know, another type of guy that if he's bad in the next two starts like okay, sure drop him.
Speaker 2: And it was a nice fun fluke in the pan.
Speaker 1: But it's the type of guy that early on, if I'm looking for somebody who maybe can take a step forward out of nowhere as a pitcher, because it does happen every year, I'm willing to again totally free. Nobody is going to try and you know, fight with you over getting Alec Marsh off the waiver wire. And this start was a couple of days ago, so you know, if he's still there, he's not, it's like he's gonna be picked up tonight or anything. But if you have the room and need pitching, he's also a relief picture eligible, which for some leagues that is actually super valuable. So he is somebody that I would at least be willing to say, like it is the most lottery of lottery tickets. But if I'm looking at a guy that's available everywhere again who unlike Blackman, there's some built in upside here.
Speaker 2: I think theoretically.
Speaker 1: I was really impressed with what I saw, Uh you know in that in that first outing, what do you think about Marsh?
Speaker 3: So the funny thing here, and I intentionally didn't tell you this before the show. I wanted to tell you on the air. But we were talking about the show last night and we're building out the show sheet, talking about the segments and stuff, and the one thing I said was, you know, I don't really like to be surprised. I'd like to have like a bunch of the names in the in the sheet so I can prep and be prepared, and you know, I like to look at the numbers and stuff. When I said that to you, the player I was picturing in my mind was Alec Marsh, and it was just like I don't know why that's who I was picturing. I just like, I just you know, seen like you know, the recap of his starts and stuff, and I was like, wow, I know nothing about this guy. And so when I was telling you, I was like, well, I don't really like to be surprised. I wanted to see the names beforehand. And then boom Alec Marsh. I was like, Wow, I'm so glad that name was in there beforehand so I could look it up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I I You're welcome for putting that in early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, because you know, I pull up the stats anyway, but I would have had to like been really reading while you were talking. Yeah, so last year numbers were not great. Did strike out more than a batter branding, which is, you know, something that always catches my eye. Didn't do it in his first start against the Orioles. But again we're talking about a really small sample size. Results matter a little bit more than the numbers. There. Swinging strike numbers not not huge, but also not terrible, and you know, have been better at different levels in the past. He's another guy where like at different levels of the minor leagues and numbers are kind of like all over the place. You kind of want to see better numbers in that is Triple I numbers and twenty twenty three before getting called up were good only you know, only fifteen innings, so again really small sample size, but fifteen innings, two point four ERA nineteen strikeouts. You like to see that did walk seven in fifteen innings. It does seem like there's some control stuff there. I don't know that he's going to be a league winner, but you know, we're talking about people to pick off up the waiver wire. See what the matchups are. It's not like he took down the Marlins. You know, the the Orioles are, you know, maybe one of the best lineups in the league, maybe the best lineup in league, even without you know, all of the the mashers they have at Triple A putting up there.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not overly excited about him, really small sampltizing.
Speaker 1: Well, again, my attention was not to pick a guy that everybody's already all gung ho about, right. I wanted to pick somebody that you can get and that there I think there is some upside. You know, he he didn't throw his curveball in this start per stat cast, which he had thrown a decent amount last year fifteen percent of the time last year.
Speaker 2: But he's so not like a ton.
Speaker 1: But he threw his four seamer way less in the start compared to what he did last year.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was a scouting thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was just they you know, something that they had kind of determined against the Oriols and it worked really well. I want to see what else he does. But his next start comes against the White Sox, so I think there's a chance that he looks really good against them. If he could be looking at against the Oriels, I think he can look good against the White Sox, and then maybe there does start to get some more attention on him and there's some more interest, and maybe he's all of a sudden rostered in more than like zero point five percent of leagues.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the actual number is, but it's very low. It becomes so hot. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So again early in the season, I want to find somebody that I think like could be a surprise breakout. Chances are good he is not that, but I think it's it's worth taking a risk on. If you're looking for a picture on Waivers. So I know Charlie Blackman and Alec Marsh. I don't know how many people are going to be listening to me this week League When I want to take my shot here, let's go to prospect corner.
Speaker 2: This will often be with Welsh.
Speaker 1: We do not have him on today, so we each kind of have one prospect related thing we wanted to hit on and mayor yours is the call up of a top hitting prospect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And speaking of Welsh and speaking of calling out Welsh, are we gonna call out Welsh and Joe for having a prospect segment on today's leading off? When we talked about that being a weekly segment on the cycle, and they went.
Speaker 1: Thought it was such a good idea that they were like, we just need to be mimicking Worman Mayer. They're the established brain trust of this this organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's some good ideas. And so Welsh, I know you're you're producing this. What the heck man, we're supposed to be on our show doing that? Yeah? Justin Bosk you first off, he got called up a couple of days ago, has yet to play. Would love to see him play.
Speaker 1: I did. We talked about adding him to the show sheet a couple of days ago and he was caught up. And then last night I was like, did I miss any stats from him? Turns out no, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know, and you figured the first day was like, okay, fine, he got called up that day. A lot of teams don't want you to like rush to the ballpark and you know, go right in the lineup. They want you to kind of, you know, experience it, get your feet under you. And then day two, still not in the lineup. Would love to see him in the lineup. I assume he's going to be, because why are you calling him up if he's not going to be in the lineup. And it's not like, you know, like they're a really good team. They want to win, and it seems like they're just going to have a rotating and maybe they wanted to give him two days to get settled. Maybe he got there late the first day. But yeah, first and foremost want to see him in the lineup. But he's a power speed, combo guy. He's not going to steal a ton of bases. But last year in Triple A, eighteen home runs and fourteen stealing bases, one hundred twenty two games. The consensus projections for him are not great, but that's mostly based on playing time. Most of them have him projected for between one hundred and one hundred and eighty played appearances. Obviously, if he hits the ground running, he's going to earn more played appearances, so you can kind of extrapolate those those projections. It's hard hard to really look at what he was doing in Triple A because we're talking about three games, So you can't really worry about the fact that he was batting two thirty one because who carries his three games. You can't look at batting average. Last year a bat a two sixty six in Triple A. The year before in double A bat at two eighty eight, fifteen home runs, three style bases, so didn't run as much, but it was good to see him run, you know, significantly more last season. And so he's not going to be Wyatt Langford. But this is a you know, the theme of the show. Former first round pick, twenty twenty first round pick. Another guy you know has a lot of pedigree, really good bat. He's someone I don't want to say he's must roster in all leagues, especially since he's yet to play. But I think in most twelve team or more leagues, you know, either twelve team leagues or leagues with larger rosters, he's definitely worth someone adding just to see what it is, because you know, you never know when one of these prospects is gonna come up, get hot and just keep the job all year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I top prospects are a currency I'm very willing to trade in, right, I'm very happy to I'm probably gotta blow my budget on a guy like Foscue, but I'm very happy to take that chance and get him at bench spot and see if he adjusts really quickly. And especially for top prospect we've seen, you know recently, guys kind of take a little, you know, a month or so or maybe more to adjust, you know, Gonna Henderson to the start of last year, another Oriel Athley Rushman his first month was not very good and then once they once that, you know, flip has switched. It's just you know, they could be lights out the rest of the way. So, uh, you know, he's he's the type of guy that, again, I need to have the bench spot. I think a lot of people probably do. I'm willing to take that swing.
Speaker 3: And worth noting there before we move on that the reason he's called up is the Josh Young injury, and they just went in to do his surgery and found some stuff that didn't like it. And it's not that he's gonna be out for even longer. So he's going to be out for at least two months. Two months now, so there's gonna be a long runway for someone to earn playing time in this in this lineup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good good to mention.
Speaker 1: Mine is shockingly Orioles related, because and all I wrote was Holy Norfolk Tides. I know you hadn't seen this until I sent it your way last night on Wednesday night of this week. Let me read you some stats from the Norfolk Tides scorer. First of all, they score twenty six runs on twenty nine hits. They also had seven walks, only struck out eleven times. Jackson Holiday four for six, five runs, two rbi, also two walks. He got on base six times. Connor Norby two for five, three runs, three RBI, another two walks for him, he got on base four times. Pestin Kearstad had a grand slam and a three run homer five for seven four runs, ten RBI. Goby Mayo five for seven as well, two runs, just one RBI for him, What a bad game. And then Kyle Stowers four for seven, three runs, seven RBI himself. If you look at their box score, the batting average for those top five guys, who are the real prospects in this line, if there are other guys playing with Peyton Burdick is playing really well, not quite as much as a prospect as those five batting averages four hundred four to thirty five, five eighty three, three eighty five, four hundred that's on the season ops on the season for these guys twelve forty eight, thirteen ninety four, seventeen eighty five nine fifteen o three. It is ludicrous what they are doing to that league's pitching right now. They have the top four players in the league in RBI on the leader board are all on the tides. It's testin krestat at the eighteen. Kyle Stowers is fourteen, Norby with nine, and Jackson Holiday with eight. Obviously, we know some of those guys are elite prospects. We know Jackson Holding is the best prospect in baseball. We know that Kobe Meo is not that far behind him. We know Hessein Kuresat has insane power upside if they can just find a spot for them on the roster, right, I think Connor Norby there's no reason for him to be in the miners. I talk about this with my Oros fan friends all the time, Like, he is the type of guy that gets so overlooked in this organization because there's so much talent elsewhere. But he absolutely should be a starting major league baseball player at this point. And I think he's a really good hitter. He was a good, good hitter when he was drafted out of college. And I just he's never done anything but hit in the miners.
Speaker 2: I wish he was in the big league.
Speaker 1: Rostertours now has the most home runs for any Orioles minor leaguer ever. Like, I mean, this team is this, this Norfolk Tides team, Like I have to find it ridiculous when people say this sort of thing. This is the rare opportunity because of the organizational talent the Orioles have right now, and because of how much the Athletics hate their fans, this Tides team would beat the Athletics in a seven game series, Like I'm fairly certain of that, at least like hitting wise, they would be the more impressive lineup. Like this team is absolutely absurd. The actionable takeaways from this is stash as many of these guys as you can if you can, because they're hitting so well, and outside of Mayo, who I could see them kind of holding on to for next year's prospect promotion incentive, like trying to make sure he maintains his rookielgability, for ex because he is young, he does strike out a lot. He's kind of the one guy where I do think he'd be capable at the major league level, but I most understand why he's not there. The rest, like are either old and ready or young and ready in the case of Jackson Holiday. So I'd be stashing as many Orioles hitters as you can because if you get an injury or two, or if like Austin Hayes has been awful, Ramona Reus doesn't have a hit yet this season. He's like over thirteen, I mean, and this is facing a lot of lefties too, So if the ool starts saying, let's get these prospects up, they are hitting so well, they're so much better than triple A pitching right now, it's absurd, and that box score was so insane I had to like just wax poetic about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I knew the Orioles were deep at the farm season. I didn't in the farm system. I didn't realize just how deep. But I was thinking about it, like during draft season, when like thinking about especially in deeper leagues, like drafting Orioles, like current Orioles players like I had no interest in drafting Austin Hayes regardless, but even thinking about drafting like Cedric Mullins.
Speaker 2: That great example, I was the same way.
Speaker 3: In the back of my mind, I thought to myself, if he's us, he could be traded, or even if he doesn't struggle, he's just kind of like middle of the road, they could they could move him for pitching to or he could just lose his job to you know, clear up a spot for one of these young hitters. Because they have so many people who are ready to contribute that the leash for everyone on their roster is you know, not long outside of Ryan Mantcastle, who is an endlessly.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I was actually gonna I was gonna bring him up. There are five hitters in the Orioles that are like they're locked in, they're not going anywhere. It's Gunnar Henderson, and it's Adley Rutchman, It's Anthony Santandre, It's Ryan mant Castle, and it's Jordan Westburg. Everybody else, like Austin Hayes, who has had really hot streaks before, although not since like the first half of last year. Cedric Mullins, who has started to deal with injuries more and more, you know, obviously like the Jorge Matteo's and Ramon areuses of the world, Like like there's just not a spot for these guys long term. It feels like I would love like Mullins is the one where it's like if he could still be really good, and I would like to see that be the case. But like you have Colden Kowser, who he was already at the big league level and hitting well but not in enough at bats, let alone a secure stats twenty five and is a top thirty prospect in baseball in a lot of places, has proven he can smash triple A. Pitching, Like at a certain point, I get you don't want too many lefties in the roster, but like there's just no reason for Austin Hayes to be getting at bats over him. There's no reason for Ramona Reus to beginning at bats over like Connor Norby, let alone Jackson Holiday. So it's it's just at a certain point you think like the damn is gonna break and these guys are gonna all come up, and the Oils are gonna get even better, you know, in terms of the in the lineup at least, But again, that box score was too ludicrous to not to not bring up. I will stop the Homer Orioles talk there and jump into the weekend excitement, although I'll quickly I'll do mine first and give a little more Oriols Homer talk Oriols Pirates looks like it actually could be a really fun series this weekend. And we get Grayson Rodriguez versus Jared Jones on Friday. I believe is that one at his Friday That is a really fun matchup of young pictures.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see that one for sure.
Speaker 1: Also, just Grayson going up against the vaunted Pirates lineup. Renel Blanco following up is no hitter against He's facing the Rangers, obviously an excellent lineup the World Series defending champs, you know young not young picture, I guess, but you know Journey, the pitcher who just threw a no hitter. I'm really curious to see how that pans out. So I'm excited about that, And then mostly I want to seek schoolball, like can he can he throw a perfect game against the A's please? Like he's gonna absolutely be so school ball against against soon to be not Oakland, the just the Athletics not even having a city name. Next year when they play in Sacramento, I think we could see like in all time outing, so I hope we do.
Speaker 3: Did you see that customer service piece of paper that was going around on social media? But the ad, yes, brutal. That is a tough look, like don't mention Oakland, like if you see any Oakland jerseys, like, get rid of them.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well did you see Fisher just was talking about the smaller, intimate ballpark that they're going to be playing in for the next few years and was like, I can't wait to see the Athletics and and Aaron Judge hitting home runs here and everybody. You can't wait to see an opposing player hit home runs against your team, Like, guy, come.
Speaker 3: On, I did not see that quote. No, that's great.
Speaker 1: It's he's getting ruthlessly made fun of for it.
Speaker 3: So normally you would think a ten thousand seat ballpark would be too small. It might still be too big for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think probably it will be. What are you most excited for this weekend?
Speaker 3: So we can skip over wanting to see Garrett at lock In Tan or Hawk again, but I do want to see them second time through, see, you know, see if it's legit. You know, I think the three we mentioned in the rest of exportation before BeO Pavetta and the other guy's name. I'm forgetting Cutter Cutter Crawford. I think they're more like locked in, you know, with Garrett with locked Tin how health is always going to be a concerned because they've kind of like bounced on and off the injured list, in and out of their rotation. So I just want to see the continued development. Are we going to see more of that? And then also I noticed when we were going through this, we all we picked all pitching matchups. There's nothing else we're looking forward to this weekend and pitching. Yeah, apparently, so I picked Gavin Stone and showed at Imanaga his second start, because he looked really good in his first. Yeah, I was very excited to see that six innings and nine strikeouts for him and nowhere in runs, so interested to see both of You know, I picked four pitchers I'm interested in seeing second time through.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think by nature of this, well, it'll probably often be like pitching matchups.
Speaker 2: I would guess, we'll see how the season plays out.
Speaker 1: There might be some other stuff that we get really excited to watch each weekend. To wrappings up our season long competition, we have decided will be a two start pitcher competition. So every week we are going to pick two start pitchers and this can be anybody, so it's not just guys that are available in certain amount leagues. It's not necessarily wavered vice. In fact, you know, I've certainly picked a pitcher that is rostered everywhere, one of the best purchases in baseball for this week. But there are no repeats. Once you use a guy, he's up, So you want to kind of play the matchups as best you can. Who's hot, who's cold. However you want to approach it, and we'll see who wins each week, picking the better two start pitcher based on their ROTO rank with you know, standard categories at the.
Speaker 2: End of the week. So I will go first.
Speaker 1: I picked Zach Wheeler again, not you know, not available in any league certainly, but one of the aces in Fantasy Baseball has been very good to start the year. Does not have a win yet because he's just had really unfortunate luck, but he's been really good to start the year. He is at Saint Louis and home against I'm taking a risk here the Pittsburgh Pirates. We'll see how Wheeler performs in his two starts. That is my first pick for our season long competition.
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 3: So I did not pick a pitcher going up against the best offense in baseball. For my pick, I picked the A to list Charlie Morton going up against the Mets and up against the winless Miami Marlins. And you know you want to use Charlie Morton. You know you said you can't use pictures, you know, more than once throughout the season. Charlie Morton's forty years old. They don't know how much longer he's going to be around, and so I want to use him in April while I still can. I do like him. This season, he was like free in drafts despite a really good season. Again last season he had you know, almost not almost, but like one hundred and eighty something strikeouts in a mid three cra and you know, everyone just writes him off because he's really old, and so I just got him for free everywhere. I'm just gonna ride him while I can. So yeah, I'm gonna use I'm gonna use my first pick on Charlie Charlie Morton and hope for the best against the Mets and the winless watched with my luck. Their first win will be.
Speaker 1: Next Saturday, will be against they let out all their eggers. By the way, I'm just now noticing I should have picked and what I was looking forward to for this weekend excitement. We get a Garrett Crochet versus Alec Marsh matchup on some so that will be a very important.
Speaker 2: Matchup for how this episode will age. We'll get out of there on that.
Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for tuning in to this episode again, Please to continue to give us feedback. We want again to be servicing to fans as best we can, so let us know what you want to hear, more of, less of whatever you might think.
Speaker 2: Leave us a review with a question and uh yeah from mayor. I'm Ryan Warman. We'll see you again next time.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball podcast.
Speaker 2: Follow us on x, Instagram.
Speaker 1: And TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB