Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, welcome back to get another splendid iconic episode. I think this is gonna be top top three.
Speaker 2: You always do this when you When have you ever heard it's like someone that you like you start this fangirl stuff?
Speaker 1: Very have you ever heard?
Speaker 3: Get them on your side?
Speaker 1: All right, let's roll the tapes we have, We have footage. I never say anything like this before, given top three episode.
Speaker 3: Given Larry Wilmore already like, okay, you do this.
Speaker 1: Okay, people that I'm fond of, that I that I respect and I admire, And it's no different today.
Speaker 3: You do this like the iconic.
Speaker 1: Agree, don't don't let her.
Speaker 4: I'm definitely feeling a little shrunken.
Speaker 1: IM feeling a little no.
Speaker 3: No, I agree, no, definitely.
Speaker 1: An icon absolutely. I mean mentor I don't get too many, too many, too many.
Speaker 2: Has been a mentor to me at times, the incredible, the incomparable.
Speaker 1: Today we are authored talking to podcaster of Bevilations, Lessons from a Mother, Auntie, Bestie, and hosts of Serious X and radios Beplations. Everybody, please give a whole stuff and how stuff have we do? We do? We have another thing that we've I saw that new it's new.
Speaker 5: This is new, right, But that's the only thing, that really the only thing, because if I don't own it, who cares?
Speaker 1: That's right? Please get a loud resounding look back at it. Welcome to.
Speaker 4: Where am I looking? This is my camera?
Speaker 1: That's your camera right there here with you're in the room. But I got now over there. This is all good. We are here, bebby. How are you?
Speaker 5: I'm really good?
Speaker 1: Yes? Do we know?
Speaker 4: That's Friday?
Speaker 1: They they Friday, It'll be a Friday when they watched.
Speaker 5: It, Friday love Friday, because you know that means that the weekend is upon us and we get to have the agains.
Speaker 1: Them and I had AGAs last night.
Speaker 4: Well, Thursday is a new Friday.
Speaker 1: Thursday is the new.
Speaker 3: Last night we had last night.
Speaker 1: We were legit at the strip club last night, strip club, our friend.
Speaker 3: Your tattletale. What do you mean, it's just the way.
Speaker 1: You do it? You're it was game night last night. It was love everybody. It was like it was both of It was both our clan there.
Speaker 3: That was why why do you feel you felt like there was a lot of gay men in there?
Speaker 1: There were I literally was welcomed through to the door by, like a dude that's on Broadway doing a local ball. I saw Punky so I was our friends, our friends Matt Richards. He every once in a while he'll like host a uh competition, strippers competition. Is it ate Knight for them or something? No, no, no it's not, but it's at it didn't look it's a competition. So usually they all usually just get tens across the boy. I've never known how much money do you get for this competition. I'm not sure what you do. But they were making it rained last night. There's money involved. We were making it making it rain last night.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how much.
Speaker 1: I don't remember how much either, but we have important. It was odd. It was oddly queer. It was oddly queer in a way that I've only been to that competition twice now, I don't require I don't recall being there as many queer people in it felt So.
Speaker 4: Is it a straight place that has a lot of quer No, it was.
Speaker 1: It's a straight place. But I just like.
Speaker 5: A gentleman's club. Yeah, so it's nice. You get wings and steak, Yeah, yeah, about mistake.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the steak. I don't I don't really order like heavy meals at strip clubs.
Speaker 1: Really, even in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: I was saying, let's the magic city. You're like, yeah, because you have to know Cheetah.
Speaker 2: I'll eat a good mail like cheetah. Is that the one you took me to in Atlanta? It's off the highway or something like, No, no, no, I took you to the Flame I took it was a few years the Dirty Dirty She took me to the We were watching tanks versus some guys.
Speaker 1: She she flew me out.
Speaker 3: I didn't just fight you.
Speaker 2: I put you on a private a little little, little little play.
Speaker 1: I was playing a little fun. Let you be a boy for the weekend. But we got to that strip club, but you saw the boy kind of went away. Yeah, you got gay. I got game the strip club because Trina came on and started.
Speaker 5: The girls. I was just like, yeah, I got a little well, you know what, back in the day that was accepted. And but as long as you think you're on the stage, absolutely, I wouldn't dare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on this particular strip club girls, I had never been.
Speaker 1: I'd been to strip clubs and destrouble before. Whatever been a couple here Atlanta strip club. Though, that's just a different experience.
Speaker 5: You know what's a very different experience. It's a New Orleans strip club.
Speaker 1: Yes, very what's what's the difference? I think very grunge.
Speaker 5: It's the term Milan strip clubs, very like you'd be like, I need to get up there and just show everybody what to do. It's more like it's a lot of language walking around white and even if it's black girls in there, even if it's what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, but it's white facing, like even the African girls working in a white like a striple, like you're talking to overseas, that might be African girl in it, but she's there to white men and they're enticed by a different type of stripping behavior.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly. So it's a little.
Speaker 1: State in your experience. May be has there is there if you've been to like a strict club recently, has there do you see like any comparisons or contrasts in strip club culture like in the nineties versus now, Well, because we are here to talk about the nineties, about the nineties, we are here, you are.
Speaker 5: Killing always comes in handy. I love it the way exactly. I think like back in the day, I feel like the girls were more earnest house. But it's just like with reality TV. Remember like the original Reality TV, people didn't know the.
Speaker 1: Plot the first Real World, Yeah, people didn't.
Speaker 4: Know the plot. Now people know the plot, they know the assignment.
Speaker 5: In the nineties, girls didn't understand how much money could really be made. I feel like people were there, like they really were working their way through school.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, not just a lot of Now that's just a.
Speaker 5: Line that they say, right like, and I think that that's the difference.
Speaker 4: Like the girls are far more professional.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're uh stripping than they were back in the day where it was like literally it could really be a girl next door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel you on that. I feel that.
Speaker 2: I can remember like late nineties going to elect clubs in Atlanta when I wasn't supposed to be in there, and I will say, like, you know, mitilate, it was like just to see like what's And yeah, I would say.
Speaker 3: They were they were a little more innocent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they were a little more.
Speaker 1: So you would say that how to be a player was like a period piece. Yeah, I'm getting my black movies mixed up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's so iconic for everything there was, there.
Speaker 3: Was more diamonds.
Speaker 1: There's more diamonds out there in the world.
Speaker 3: Everybody's uh, Ronnie, everybody, everybody's n.
Speaker 1: I really don't believe, I truly believed that that film did not get It's just dude, when it comes to like how it was received, I.
Speaker 4: Just feel like it needs to be a part of the Criterion collection.
Speaker 1: Really, players go for sure? For sure?
Speaker 5: For sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Fantastic performances all around, all around, fantastic performance ever got back at his.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, truly we got introduced to Terrence Howard, Jamie going crazy, going crazy, Ice Ice going crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we be clubbing, I remember.
Speaker 3: And the best we've ever gotten out Lisa Ray shame and better.
Speaker 2: I know she might cuss me out for saying that's her to other fource, but yeah, I also would really ready you come to New York, I sa I would love for her to cust me out.
Speaker 1: To cuss you out. Yeah, that was that you. Yeah, I feel like this, that's a kink for you in this way, in this context, my.
Speaker 4: Curse me out.
Speaker 1: And that's just what that lovely gentleman who is all white. Oh she got she got her man wearing white too.
Speaker 4: I think he always wore white.
Speaker 3: Okay, two lovers and white.
Speaker 1: And white. So you are you show up fabulous. I just feel like that's always been your vibe. I've seen you, I've seen you. I've seen all right, I've seen you around town. So I'm sure. The question that we usually ask people when they bring to us the moment in time that they want to bring up, we asked, who were you what did you have going on.
Speaker 2: During the grand fashion and grand baby fashion? We said, pick a year, and Bety picked a decade. So here we are, give.
Speaker 3: Me the whole.
Speaker 5: It was a year for you, right, it was a year for me. Like you have to remember, like you guys understand that. Think about all the songs and be like nine to five, you know the you know, it's just like nineties, weren't it.
Speaker 4: It was the golden age of hip hop.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was. So I'm from Harlem. I'm fifty nine years old. So hip hop is literally my first music. It is my music, not my mom's music, not my big brother's music.
Speaker 1: It's my music. And you're in the city where it's found.
Speaker 5: I'm in Harlem, Yeah, which is right across the bridge from the Bronx, So I'm at all the jams. I remember you hearing rappers the light from down the block, and you hear it and you run towards the sound. I'm that girl, right yea. So by the time we get to the nineties and there's coinage connected to hip hop, because you gotta remember, in the eighties, it was all the hustlers that were the stars of the community. Like so when ELLK who j would come up to the rooftop, he would be looking at Poe, which poor the a Z that's a uh paying them for.
Speaker 4: So he would come up there. All the hustles were the ones that everyone looked up to. But then in the nineties, the rappers finally really started making money and then the tables turned. But then the hustlers began to be their managers and having what they.
Speaker 2: And what does that do for a bevy smith living in the nineties, What is tell us who you are.
Speaker 1: With the hustlers.
Speaker 5: I was running with everybody, the hustles and rappers everything. So the craziest thing about me in the nineties is that I always I was always a smart girl, and I was always a corporate girly. So in the nineties, I was at all the clubs, all the parties, all the shenanigans, but I could never go to the after after the party, which is when you would get in the caravan and you would go to Merley Beach, you would go to Virginia Beach, you go to Atlantic City, and the guys would say, I'll pay you for your day. Can't pay me for my day because I'm a corporate lady. So there's no way that I can miss a meeting with like Tina Brown, who's like the event chief of Vandy Fair magazine. Do that. But the interesting thing about all of that is that nobody outside in the streets knew I had a corporate job.
Speaker 1: That's what your job.
Speaker 5: I was a media director at a luxury advertising agency.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, what was that? What was that?
Speaker 5: What was that sort of advertising agency? Didn't know I was a hot girl like that?
Speaker 1: How did you naver? Because I know you said you were like this Williams.
Speaker 2: And her cocaine, Well until it got out of control, you know, Well not quite.
Speaker 1: But I'd say I even liking it to the way we used to run our lives when we first started doing stand up. You were working at the you were working in the nut industry.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 1: She worked for a I had other jobs, but but that was the one you working with. This is the this is the career, the career, she introduced our audience episode. We discussed how we was one of my jobs. That's the only She was working with Funk and I was selling business cards from in a sweaty, sweaty cold calling job in Midt and East were both moonlighting as standing comedians and I was not sharing my comedian journey with my co workers. We talked business cards and get out of here.
Speaker 4: Business card my business card from from Vine.
Speaker 2: You do you never want people at your like regular job to know you have dreams.
Speaker 1: No, because they can take it in your big when to come to the show. Now I'm talking about Dick and I'm going crazy. Now my coworkers is in there. I can't have this.
Speaker 3: It's like there's always somebody.
Speaker 2: Ship was going to be like, oh they late because they was doing shows to get messy.
Speaker 1: That LinkedIn count so fast. As soon as I got my first TV credit, I was like, Okay, how did you like maintain the like the division between your hot your hot girl time and corporate time.
Speaker 5: We were young women who were very clear that we wanted to have a big light and all regards. So we did our good work and when we got off work, it was over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See these young girls now they drag around these corporate jobs. Hone, even with them everywhere. They don't never rest. They're not having that much fun. They're not having that much.
Speaker 2: They like they got their laptops with them on trips. Yeah, they're they're working all.
Speaker 5: The what end? And to what end? They're gonna fire you, They're gonna lay you off. I need to tell you they will eventually always, So we knew to turn it off. And once we turned that off, we turned something else on.
Speaker 1: Boom and you love that comes in here that way, no.
Speaker 5: Work, but it was it was like really a thing of like I remember my my boyfriend who was in independent pharmaceutical sales. He would he was like a king at rutca mm hm. And I would get off work and I would take off my work clothes. I would put on like a Vasachi dress that he had brought me, and I would tosi wrote my finance up to that rucky game, honey.
Speaker 4: And because he was like a big thing at Rucca.
Speaker 5: When I would come, they would stop the game so I could walk across the course. So you're.
Speaker 4: Living it up, no, because there's so many like in the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I never looked up to my peer group.
Speaker 1: But like the women in Harlem that you kind of had like outside of like maybe like family members, were there any women.
Speaker 5: Like you the bar maids in the bar because they were To this day, everything I do in life, I am literally channeling the bar maids of Harlem. Wow. Because I'm a host, so everything I do is through that prism. So I am the consummate hostess because those women that worked the bars, they were consummate hostess. When you came in, they knew what you drank. They knew if your a woman was in there with your the last woman that you were dealing with, they would give you the baby. Don't come up in here because you know in here she in the corner, but roof over there, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 5: They knew everybody, and more importantly, everybody knew them, and so that was like for me, I didn't even know how much I was digesting that until I got good and grown.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm the damn man, you know corporate Tina.
Speaker 1: So is that? What is that what drew your inspiration to starting your dinners? Your dinners with.
Speaker 5: Was started because I was broke and and that, and that was because when I would go over to Milan in Paris but Vibe, I used to host then the parties for all the celebrities that we would bring over there, and I would introduce them to the brands. So that in was from that and then and then I decided to do it for myself.
Speaker 1: Because I remember reading about those dinners like a line years ago and I just be like, you.
Speaker 5: Getting out, I've been doing dinner with Bevy?
Speaker 1: Really? Yes, Sam? Sam mentioned, she said she was again, Yeah, it was nice. Yeah, it was cool. You feel like if you felt like a bad bitch.
Speaker 2: I would like But I did feel like I had arrived in the space, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this is like I was like, this.
Speaker 4: Is elevating my fancy people in them.
Speaker 1: There were fancy people in the room.
Speaker 2: It was nice to be invited to something that was like sisterhood because I don't get invited.
Speaker 4: To things like yeah, I don't play those games.
Speaker 1: And that was nice. Yeah, you know, what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that was cool to just be invited to something for women, because that doesn't happen to me often.
Speaker 1: I also don't get invited to things for men.
Speaker 5: So like a lot of don't get hav an events.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go to stud dinner, no, because all are so territorial and mean spirited. Whoa whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means. What you like?
Speaker 3: I don't know you no?
Speaker 4: Okay, So so I have I have black friends.
Speaker 5: I have a couple of stun friends, and they've told me that a lot of times there's a lot of peacocking that goes on when there's a gathering.
Speaker 2: This is when there's other studs and yeah, a lot of people. I feel like it's no different than what men do. And there's a bunch of men in the room to some degree, but I don't I think the territorialness or what people one when you studs get disrespected a lot by by masculinity, right, they're not really we're not real boys, you know what I'm saying. So a lot of times, a lot of that aggression would be like these studs be sold. It's because it's like you're there's a way you're talking about women or stuff that you're doing that.
Speaker 3: I know if I was another man, you wouldn't do this, right. I know, if I was.
Speaker 2: Another man, you wouldn't behave the sweat. But you're doing it because to you, there's just two bitches. So I do have to be a little more like, hey, bro, right, what's up? Because you're aggressing me intentionally because of what I am. And I think stuffs do carry a little chip on their shoulder.
Speaker 1: Find that.
Speaker 3: When it comes to other studs.
Speaker 2: I think it's just the same type of posture and that dude posture. And I think when you're comfortable, there's no need for posturing. But I do think they're just you know, it's just an element of like, bro shit, broke shit.
Speaker 3: You know who's got it?
Speaker 1: Who don't?
Speaker 5: Right, Who's who's really running in? Whose? Sensitive? Man? Would never work work for me because I like a sensitive, nice man.
Speaker 1: Right. The pants suit stood the corporate sto.
Speaker 5: But nobody wants to see it. People in the pants. Okay, that doesn't that doesn't sound fun. He's a person wearing a pants not on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Not all the time. There are yeah, our galleries like basketball coaches. Yeah, well, speaking of maybe, so like in the nineties, were you I don't I feel like I don't have to ask this, but I'm pretty much I'm pretty sure you were in with the gays also in the nineties, running around with the gays in the clubs.
Speaker 4: To that's the thing though, Okay, okay, now all right, let's keep it one. I had a role. Uh so, I stopped going to.
Speaker 5: The red zone in like the twenties or something, okay, and like lower Man, lower man, and I stopped on the red zone because it was a lot of backpackers, I e.
Speaker 4: Broke guys there, hoxuals.
Speaker 5: No, there's broke guys. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I mean I'm too fine shaking my ass.
Speaker 5: I want someone coming up to me and they can't even really buy me an orange and and vodka. Vodka. That doesn't work for me. No red zone for screwdriver.
Speaker 4: It doesn't make some grow.
Speaker 5: Why am I waisting all of that?
Speaker 1: Sorry to be a boy.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, all that we talked to, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: The original inn.
Speaker 4: Don't put that on don't put that on them.
Speaker 5: And then there were what's the legendary one the house club that everyone talks about. Oh my god, I'm joining the blank.
Speaker 1: I heard so much about it used to be back for the games.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't go there a lot either, because again I'm want to go someplace where it's men that like the vaginants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you don't understand what I'm saying. And you know what, Actually, thank you, thank you because I'm a state of.
Speaker 5: The bar.
Speaker 1: Know me for this, because I'm gonna say, I'm first of all, I'm gonna give your flowers right now based off that statement, because I've been I've had this on my heart. Straight ladies, with my camera. Straight ladies. I love you, I love you, I support you. I will fight for you. I will sign petitions for you. I will give money to any cause. Get out of my bar, gotta my club. You're in the way. But listen, listen to Ben. Listen to Ben. I know, but but you were like all right at the certain time, I leave you. I leave you because the girl, because the girl hold on the girls ally the girls today are they at the club? They're in the dark room?
Speaker 3: Where are dark?
Speaker 2: And can I tell you somewhere are ugly I'm supposed to go where the ly girls supposed to go where ugly girls supposed to.
Speaker 4: Well, there's no such seconds ugly. That just means you're poor.
Speaker 3: Remember that they have that. Girls want to dance to baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just look get out of that. Aways want to.
Speaker 2: Try to funk on gay guys because it's a challenge of like, can I can I turn this guy? And I've had get into my vagina just the same way bitch. Straight dudes, we're trying to gay women like it's the same.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's something a little more kink kink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I think a lot of it is just power. Whatever dudes hit on me.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think some of them may be like a little by and don't want to go be full by. But I think most of it is just can I make this nigga bitch.
Speaker 1: Be a bitch? Yeah? Can again?
Speaker 3: Could I turn her back into a right? That's the that's the lord.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Put down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to see you in the bus down, but you do have a pretty little face, so you could do so many things.
Speaker 4: You're opting out of it.
Speaker 1: We just started this podcast, and some of them comments already in some of these girls in the comments are like, oh Sam, looking good these days.
Speaker 3: All why don't you send me these comments?
Speaker 1: You can see them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, don't.
Speaker 2: But if you're trying to be a friend to me, you can go back to the Allies ship.
Speaker 5: So let me tell you something. I grew up in Harlem. Always had gay friends. I had seven year old gay friends. I had gay friends who were children and little, tiny gay people and knew they were gay and walked in it.
Speaker 4: And I'll never forget. When I was a young woman.
Speaker 5: Anthony Geene, Anthony Ray from Fame came back home because his mother was a queen pin like. She ran a lot of West Harlem heavy money, so he had money before he ever went on TV. He was flied before he ever went on TV. Came back from l A after being on the Fame, and he was a beautiful man. That body was woof greased up, that beautiful complexion, all these gold chains had.
Speaker 4: On all white. You saw the women that one no no, no, no no no. I just see beauty, beauty, the knowledge.
Speaker 5: But I'll never forget he came on and because back in the eighties, you know, you used to wear the little tiny tennis shorts. Yes, and he had them legs in that book. Baby.
Speaker 4: He came on, and then guys on the block was trying to like punk him.
Speaker 5: He said, I know you not talking because I had you you and you and I'm about to fly you at so I know you not talking because I don't have all of y'all on this corner and nobody had anything to say.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: He also told them F word don't mean punk.
Speaker 1: Come on that and what did that do for you?
Speaker 5: What it did for me? Was it?
Speaker 4: So I'll tell you this.
Speaker 5: I didn't understand that being gay was a negative because in my community, the black gay men that I was around held their own so they were not maligned.
Speaker 4: They were part of the community, right, They the community.
Speaker 5: So they I didn't I didn't know from and then I went into white fashion again where they are exalted. Right.
Speaker 4: So then I go and I and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Meeting I did it young black gay men from other places, and.
Speaker 4: I'm like, well, why are you not game.
Speaker 5: Like because I'm not I'm not day and it's like, you know, and then and then I had to understand that it's not everybody doesn't have a safe space, but you know.
Speaker 4: Of course Harlem is the home what's created.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we moved him to be game.
Speaker 5: Mhm.
Speaker 3: What is your song of the nineties.
Speaker 2: If you had to encapsulate the decade, because you did this to yourself, So if you have to encapsulate the decade in a song, what is your song of the nineties?
Speaker 4: Well, he has a insane thing.
Speaker 5: For my thirty fifth birthday, I came out to Bitches ain't ship but holes and Stricts, which is in an l A song, which is weird. But I was obsessed with the chronic. The chronic is the reason why I wanted to go back to l A. And me and my girlfriend went to l A. We did a trip just based off the chronic and we went to all the highlights of all the videos and everything, and my friend made the mistake of wearing blue and then it was problematic, but we had a great time.
Speaker 4: We were the Princess Club Slam Slam.
Speaker 3: It was your friend or girl or a guy.
Speaker 5: Girl.
Speaker 1: Shout out to LA for gang banging on the lady.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shout out to l A. Yeah for gang banging on the ladies.
Speaker 4: Opportunity shout out.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you so I'm so glad you brought up like an example of like your travels to like black cities and other places like that. Do you have like you? I mentioned I was from Detroit, you live I have. What is your relationship to my hometown?
Speaker 5: Have you been? I've been Louise Franklin's funeral, okay, And it was eight hours long. And while I was there, a gentleman hit on me and gave me lunch of money. He gave me two hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yes, he said, And I said, well, do you don't want to take me outter?
Speaker 5: He said, Baby, I got meetings to go to, but here, just go and get yourself some more.
Speaker 1: He said, you corporate. I'm corporate to that's whole.
Speaker 3: I like that. I love that. I'm gonna do that for my girl.
Speaker 1: I've told famnists also stylistically, esthetically, both of you and specifically us, just your I guest today you could walk through Detroit and blend in effortlessly easy.
Speaker 5: Yes, they do the most. Sometimes it's too much.
Speaker 4: It's the most.
Speaker 5: And so the nineties and she went in the nineties with a gentleman friend because he wanted all his gators.
Speaker 4: He wanted to now lay the gators.
Speaker 5: So we took a trip to Detroit just so he could go and get no not say yea. It was called it was something they were.
Speaker 4: The Actually.
Speaker 5: He got the rainbow and you got all the coolie's and all the things. But we went to Detroit.
Speaker 3: Maybe I am Detroit.
Speaker 1: I've been telling you this. We met today right now, Yeah, Detroit detroiting you that lives and you I've been to Detroit. You've been walking around like, yeah, do you have like are there any other like major black cities that you have like fun experiences partying, like Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I went to Atlanta, you know from the era of like.
Speaker 5: The Freak great story about freakent never told this story. Great story. I don't know how much is this story. I tell you truncated version. But a dear friend of mine was dating Darren I'm the Rough Riders and Freaking Time and they were working with the DMX. We all went out to Freaknick and me and Earl because that was his name before the record came out, shared a room. Nothing happened. We got up in the morning and we would go for walks and we would talk and then when get at me dog came out. I was at the M and G Restaurant in Harlem and drunk and everything. I get up to go to the bathroom. This guy says, ya, what's up, beb.
Speaker 3: I'm like, hey, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: It's Earl.
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, how you been. I'm like good, he said. I said to him, how's the music career going? He says great. When I go back to the table, my girlfriends is like.
Speaker 1: How you know?
Speaker 4: Fucking GMx? I was like, what you so? My It's like, that's get at me dog. I was like, that's Earl.
Speaker 1: They're like, nobody, get at me dog because he wasn't barking at you. The he was just such a lovely human. Came up twice.
Speaker 5: So I just feel like the nineties were a hot bed literally and figuratively of that kind of community and camaraderie.
Speaker 4: When the first time I ever went to Atlanta was with.
Speaker 5: The Diddy and you know, but back in the days, the early days, a bad boy and all of that, you know, way before baby oil conversations and things, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we was yeah, and it was it was fun and we were.
Speaker 5: Just all it was like a crazy time where we were just like paling to cars and go play.
Speaker 3: It was freer.
Speaker 5: It was freer, was it was freer.
Speaker 3: It was a it was a great time to be black.
Speaker 5: It was a great time to be blacks. Only a few people at cell phones.
Speaker 2: I talk about like my early days in Atlanta, so that would be like late mid to late nineties when I was old enough to really start processing Atlanta, and then early two thousands, and I'm like, I've never been freer as a young black person than those years I lived in Atlanta, like just not worried about much and not saying there wasn't violence and stuff, but I don't know how to explain it. It was like it was just like we were just having a blast. And like the police, Atlanta police kind of knew who the college kids were, knew who the gangsters were, and it's just if you were a college kid, they weren't. Yeah, they were really Like I probably had a cop car drunk in a McDonald's drive. I just like rolled right into him and I'm like, oh my god, like I'm done, I'm drunk. And he got out and I was like, please just let me go home, Like I'm so close. I'm going to go home. He's like, I was right around this corner. He was like, go home. If I see you go in the other direction, I'm pulling you up. And I was like, thank you, sir. I like, it's like you got to be white. It was like, I'm not afraid afraid.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not afraid of like damn drunking and space strange, like dudes who pull up to us on the highway. This when I was like a girl, dudes who pull up to us on the highway, a car full of me and my homegirls, and they'd be like, yo, we having a barbecue.
Speaker 1: Follow us.
Speaker 3: We would follow these strange all the time and go to their house.
Speaker 2: And some of these fans are my friends and brothers to this day that I met like that.
Speaker 1: My mom won't love this. But I too, was in Detroit getting the drug dealers car. It was I was I'd been saying when we were having like you know in twenty twenty, when we were having this discussion about police brutality and everything I would say to people, you know, the police. I knew what I saw on television, and I knew what I read about in history books about like our relationship with like authority. But when you grow up in a city, like if you go up in the city like Atlanta or a city, like people that are in authority are black. The police are black, the fire department, like, your teachers are black, your dentist is black, your doctor's black. So I never looked at white people as authority figures until I got around to like college. Yeah, exactly, like the real world. Yeah, so it's really weird because it's like you have you do create a sense of pride in yourself where you can walk into you can come to New York and work in corporate and be like, I really don't look at y'all like y'all think like I.
Speaker 5: Tell people that all the time at the advertising agency when I was at my peak of putting on a VASACEI dress moment, Brookshills was she had a Geenis line and she was one of the clients. She was the kids me and her are the same age. Her mother would go and have the meetings in the back, and Brooke would ask if she could sit out front with me because we were girls, and we would just chat. And I remember people with all the other secretaries were asked, oh my god, how can you elact with her? She's so beautiful, And I'd be like, because in where I'm from, no one will look twice at bookshelves like she's pretty or whatever.
Speaker 4: But she ain't got no way or nothing. She ain't got you know.
Speaker 5: Because then black men really were not from Harlem, were not checking white girl. No, No, that wasn't even a thing.
Speaker 4: So I had that they were doing this.
Speaker 1: They were doing it.
Speaker 5: No, they weren't.
Speaker 3: They were doing it. They were, they were doing it. You didn't know about take a white girl.
Speaker 4: Never white girl ship.
Speaker 5: I don't even doing that now they.
Speaker 1: No, it's not white girls Brazil. Is Brazil going to Brazil.
Speaker 5: On the.
Speaker 1: Black woman on his boat?
Speaker 5: Never never happened, No, because what they would do if they wanted that, they would go and get a Puerto Rican girl or Dominican girl.
Speaker 4: That was exotic. And also, i'm gonna tell you something else that was exotic in my era filatio.
Speaker 1: Y' all right, we're gonna so well.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's go here. The nineties filatio not and.
Speaker 1: Not on either side, because if you look back, you look back at them old, the black men were definitely I'm not going down woman for nothing.
Speaker 3: Gay crackhead women a whole economy.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about this.
Speaker 3: Because they would have one second.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, So if a girl, if a girl was performing the filatio, she was ere she questionable, and she was very popular popular and she was and she was talked about. And perhaps Alpo rest in Peace may have shown the video on the street.
Speaker 1: What do you think changed? What do you think was the car of that change?
Speaker 5: I think it was just a natural evolution, like it's just like the thing. But so because of that, they were going to white Okay, they were not. Because them this was getting set went from the nineties phone in and let us white girl trip here from they were not. They were not, but they were not because now the things that you guys do is so very foreign to me, Like when you guys started really talking about eating the groceries and everything, that was so insane to me because that just and and I'm glad that I'm out of that conversation.
Speaker 3: I can I can say there was not no booty eating in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Nobody was going back there.
Speaker 2: No one was going back there for there was not a lot back there for going back back.
Speaker 1: Unless you're gay.
Speaker 3: They get to go.
Speaker 1: In and then that's how we get out of here back. This is the top three episode for.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you so much, but.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate you being here. Bebby once to get everybody you can find Bebby Smith.
Speaker 4: Spotify and Apple podcast.
Speaker 1: And you should still remain subscribed like comment back at a telepriend, share this with your mama, showed us with your daddy, show us your cousin more all the day. We love you. What's the you soon?
Speaker 3: I don't want to commit to loving.
Speaker 1: I love you, dam.
Speaker 6: Look back at it as a production of iHeartMedia and this is important. It is co hosted by Me, Sam Jay and Alex English. Theme music by Aaron Kaufman. It is executive produced by Lindsay Hoffman and the host Nie and Jenna Cago. Co produced, mixed and mastered by Carmen Laurent. Additional support by Casey Donahue. Researched by Jabbari Davis.