Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our.
Speaker 2: Two on this Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Gangs here ready to go, the Minister of Humor, Fritzi Seaton, Marv Paul Years Truly, we'll head back to the final four coming up here in about fifteen minutes from now. By the way, Florida led for just fifty four seconds. That is the least amount of time that a winning team had to win the national championship, a lead of fifty four seconds. But as long as it's the final fifty four seconds, that's all that matters. So congratulations to the Gators as they win another national championship, and more heartbreak for the Houston Cougars. NFL Draft will be there. We hope you'll join us the bar on home Grown Way, about three blocks from Lambeau. Great location, great atmosphere there. Famous for their wings and will be their Wednesday, Thursday and Friday stat of the Day brought to you by panadi America Trading Cards at the Dan Patrick Show. It's Masters week.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 3: I love that it's right after March Madness, boom right into the Masters. I do have the odds to win the Masters with the live golfers because I am excited to see John Rahm and Bryson de Shambeau brooks Kopka, and John Rahm is the leading candidate from the Live Tour to win another Green jacket. Then it's Bryson to Shambeau, brooks Kopka, Joaquin Neeman. Let me see where Phil Mickelson is. Rom is plus thirteen hundred. Phil Micholson is plus eleven thousand. But I do love watching Phil at Augusta because he plays it differently, not afraid to take chances there. But Patrick Reid and Sergio Garcia, Cameron Smith. There was a time when Cameron Smith was a He was a moment it was like, Wow, that guy is maybe the best putter in the world. Then he took the money and disappeared. But they're back on the big stage, to the main stage, and they'll be at Augusta. Whether at least the preliminary outlook is pretty good. Age seven to seven to three. DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle DP Show.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. We'll get phone calls coming up and poll question Seaton for hour two is going to be what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got two of them up there right now. One of them has been called the most difficult question we've ever asked on this show.
Speaker 2: Well, who came up with the question? Passed? Oh so, Pauli's this is the's on fire today. This is the toughest question, most difficult question we've ever asked.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's based on conversations and topics we've been discussing here on the show. Okay, Paul melded them into one melody impossible.
Speaker 2: Question to make melded.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me start with the easy one worst way to end a game, not getting a shot off, call third strike or quarterback sack. Right now, this might be recency biased, but forty nine percent of not getting a shot off Yeah, followed closely by called third strike. You can't take a called third You just can't.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean that one's horrible and this has happened though it's happened a couple of times recently, called third Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: You're gonna like this because you like umpires. Hey, there is nothing that gives an umpire a bigger stage than a called third strike to end a playoff game, they get to go the full rip.
Speaker 3: It didn't Babe Ruth take a called third to end the world series? Or did he swing and miss in a world series? I'm getting off topic here, I think. But okay, what is the toughest question that we've ever asked on this program?
Speaker 4: Which are you better at golf or dancing?
Speaker 6: Todd, I'm no Patrick Swayze or John Travolta, but you've all seen me on the golf course.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking I'm a better dancer than golfer.
Speaker 2: All right, Seaton?
Speaker 8: Oh man, Uh, I mean it's I'm a horrible I'm horrible at golf, terrible, and I'm infinitely better at that than I am a dancer.
Speaker 2: So I get I think I have to say, Golf, you're the reluctant dancer who you like?
Speaker 4: You reluctant in that I have hoped to never ever do it. I'm even like watching other people dance. I just never want to even Yeah, And I'm so envious of people that can actually dance, like people that dance really well.
Speaker 2: God, how did you do that? Marvin Golf dancing?
Speaker 9: Terrible golfer, so better at dancing.
Speaker 5: Okay, Paul, golf is not good, can't hit it deep dancing I can compete. I can go out and not embarrass myself. Dancing, I got to do some like musicals and plays with just enough I would embarrass myself. Golf, I would embarrass myself.
Speaker 2: I'm okay at golf.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on how much I've had to drink as far as dancing, But yeah, I would say golf, Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 10: During weddings, what do you guys like to do? Are you guys forced to come out there? Somebody you know gives you the finger point, come on out here.
Speaker 4: That's oka the worst thing you can possibly do to a human being.
Speaker 3: Yes, but that's why I always sit with my back to the dance floor, because then I can't get you know, Aunt Gertie going come.
Speaker 2: Here, and you're going no, no, no. I wanted to be out there.
Speaker 4: I would be there's a reason I'm sitting here ignoring everybody.
Speaker 2: But I like it when there's a whole group.
Speaker 3: Therefore, your movements are nobody sees them, and you could kind of just stay in your little vacuum there, go to the middle of the crowd and no, no, no, because then they're always there's the circle, and then there's gonna be like and then they somebody jumps in the middle and dances, and then somebody comes out and then you're like somebody pushes you and you're like no, no, no, we're not doing that worse no or not no, yes Tom.
Speaker 7: But even with your back to.
Speaker 6: The dance world, there's always that aggressive aunt or cousin what's going to come up to you and tap you and pull you in anyway. There's no way to hide unless you go in another room or hide in the bathroom for the whole thing's over.
Speaker 3: Like your sister wanting to dance with me at the bar Mitzvah and I'm like no, no, no, giving me the come here, and like no.
Speaker 7: I just got to give in. It's just one dance. There's a couple of minutes of your.
Speaker 3: Time, no it Now, if your mom had asked me to dance at the bar Mitzvah, I would have. I would have done that because your mom's adorable and I can't say no to her, no matter what she asked, I can't say no to her.
Speaker 7: One thing I'd like to say is she'd give you the show up her back. Thank you. She's never done that in public care.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think the toughest situation at weddings when you're dancing with your wife or girlfriend during a slow song and then they transition quickly like cool in the gang celebration and you have to get off the floor fast.
Speaker 2: Yes, you gotta make that move.
Speaker 5: And go to the brights the bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like and then you're like, damn it. And then you got to kind of you you dance off the stage.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you're like okay, yeah, man, yes, Marvel.
Speaker 9: This is the song when they introduce the wedding party.
Speaker 10: Oh give it her for the parents of the bride.
Speaker 9: Dad has no interest in dancing at all.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know.
Speaker 3: Although wedding parties when they're introduced and then they'll be you know, the bride, bride'smaid and the groomsman.
Speaker 2: And then we're gonna, hey, you know what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go We're gonna do this were like synchronized, and then you're like, okay, hey, we're gonna have our own dance.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's not good either, not good. Yeah, play the music there.
Speaker 3: And please welcome the parents of the bride, Sally and Jimmy Lepper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Todd.
Speaker 6: The best part is when they say, we invite you to take your seats, dinner is served, and you can just get off the dance floor and not to feel bad about it.
Speaker 7: Everyone's got to stop dancing and they're bringing up the salad.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod.
Speaker 6: As long as that DJ, we all invite you to take your seats as they're bringing.
Speaker 7: Out the third course.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, he sat down for some ZD.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 3: Well, you did give us one dining moment last hour, so I think it's appropriate you speaking food here.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Let me see a couple of phone calls in here. Kevin in Texas, I, Kevin, what do you have for me?
Speaker 2: Leading off.
Speaker 12: There comes to ZD that that's an incredible line, Toddler. I was gonna skew negative because that's, you know, an honor of Paul PABs. I really can't stand them playing in these basketball stadiums. It feels like they can't shoot for the first half of the game. But anyways, most importantly, I would like to hear all five of you decide which is better one shining moment or let's get quizzical.
Speaker 2: One dining moment or let's get quizzical both. From todd.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say let's get quizzical, because it was right after Olivia Newton John died and Todd thought that he was paying tribute to her, and it was.
Speaker 7: Painful honor or the life and times of one of them.
Speaker 2: John, Yes, it was painful, yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was meant as a serious tribute to a great actress that he admired. And he was not making a joke in any way.
Speaker 3: Or a great musician or a great artist. Olivia Newton John not a great actress. Oh no, she's great. She was known for a music. I had a couple of moments there Greece.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I thought she was gonna win something for Xanader crush in.
Speaker 3: You know, I did go see Zana do by myself. Kind of painful coming out of that where you know you got couples.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Look it makes good sports radio conversation.
Speaker 1: You gotta answer Rich just right, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, don't google.
Speaker 6: Let's just try to think it out, telling yourself mentally, make sure you know what you're talking about, or get embarrassed on.
Speaker 13: Let's get quizical.
Speaker 2: Quizical.
Speaker 3: I wanted the quisite, Jim, so nobody asked for that, and Todd Todd thought that that was a tribute to Olivia. Yes, yes, a couple of phone calls in here, uh, Jim, and I.
Speaker 7: Was very proud of that.
Speaker 6: By the way, I thought I was gonna get discovered by America's got out. I was gonna start getting emails and calls, and that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: That's what surprised me more than anything. That you thought it was good.
Speaker 7: I thought it was to be discovered. After that, I.
Speaker 3: Thought that it was creative. But your timing is off. It's not a tribute to her.
Speaker 7: Hard to get that pitch of the Olivia hut and John, it's hard to get tick the high notes like that.
Speaker 3: You mean to be on key, to be on key, that's another way. Yeah, Jim in Michigan, Hi Jim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: A couple of comments for you, Dan, you talked about the live tour. Maybe I'm the only one that gets frustrated when I surf on TV and I see the graphics, the score of the scoring, I can't read what the hell they're promoting.
Speaker 3: There's a lot going on there, Jim. There's a whole lot. I was watching this weekend. I'm like, God, Lee, there's like five things here.
Speaker 11: And the other comment. I did go to the Masters in twenty fifteen, won the right to buy tickets, brought my lovely wife, who was not enamor with golf, and she had an absolute ball, as did I. As you commented, the food was cheap. She got blisters on her feet from walking the course twice, and they at a first aage station. They took care of her. The greatest experience of my life, and I doubt if landing my lap again, but it was just a wonderful time.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Jim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I encourage people if you get the opportunity. It does live up to the hype. When you go to Amen Corner and you walk on the grass, it's far hillier than what you think. And you go to twelve thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and.
Speaker 2: Then even eighteen.
Speaker 3: I mean that is a climb up eighteen and that little narrow shoot when you come out of that tea box. And when I played, we played it all the way back as far back as you could play, and it felt like the trees were growing as I'm getting ready to tee up my ball, like the leaves and the branches are getting tighter. And tighter and tighter, and you're just trying to get it through that shoot. But you watch and that's why it's even more remarkable those greens. No green is flat there, undulating, as they like to say. But if you get a chance, go Andrew in Oklahoma. We'll try it again.
Speaker 14: Hi Andrew, Hey, guys, love the show, first time, technical, second time, love the show. I'm definitely a better golfer than an answer, and I'm looking for the out for the dinner to come out.
Speaker 13: But there is enough called today.
Speaker 14: Let's just find out, you know when and how do we solve slow play on the PGA tour because watching Brian Harmon and PC play are just absolutely brutal. Anyways, eyeing up and take the answer off the show.
Speaker 3: Well, remember Sergio Sergio grip regrip, grip regrip, but baseball had this, guys were taken forever, no more. He's the poster Chanlen for just get in the box. I gotta do this. And you know, I wonder if somebody's gonna have a note from their doctor where they bring it to the game and show the umpire to say, hey, I have this O C D this tick that I I mean. But Sergio it was forever and Brian Harmon like he's gonna grip it and then look and grip look, look, look, there's a couple of guys that just Usually you get guys who are from Ireland for some reason, because they just know you're going out there to play.
Speaker 2: Let's get the round done. You grow up playing that way.
Speaker 3: A lot of these golf courses in Ireland Scotland don't have driving ranges, like you go, you go to play and then that's it. You know, a lot of them don't have condos or anything around it. It's you're going to the golf course and then maybe you have a pint and then you go home.
Speaker 2: That's it. You know.
Speaker 3: Now they have amenities really that for Americans it feels like, but when you're over there, there's places where you go, can I hit some balls? They're like on the course and I'll be like, oh okay, you go there ready to play. And I love when you see some of these golfers. It's just like Shane Lowry, here you go, put the vault. I'm going. John Daly's as fast as anybody I ever played with. John doesn't wait for you. He's swinging you're lining up your shot and John go, I'll hit mine. He's not waiting at all. That's fun to be around and that's the way golf should be played. Take your time. I understand that. But after a while, are we just trying to get your logo on TV or something airtime? We'll take a break. Steve Lapis, the former coach, done a great job with CBS. We'll talk to him about that final play, what he thought was being drawn up, and did Florida know exactly what was going to be called? And we'll talk to him about some of the other items going on with college basketball. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 15: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 16: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 15: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich?
Speaker 16: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 15: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 16: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says.
Speaker 2: Something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 15: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 16: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 15: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up each seven to seven three DP show. You got Luca's return to Dallas coming up tomorrow. Mark Cuban, who's been elusive, We've tried to get him on. Mark doesn't want to talk about this. Trade doesn't mean we still don't want to have Mark Cuban on. Mark will be honest. Mark knows he'll be honest. That's why I think. He was on Steven A. Smith's podcast and he said, you have to ask for Austin Reeves. You have to with Anthony Davis. You know, it's criminal that you didn't ask for Austin Reeves in that trade. And he's right, because imagine if you have him. He's a good player. He's one of those you watched him and you go, okay, I mean he wasn't drafted and where's he out of Oklahoma State or Oklahoma, but you watched him. I remember watching him in college him he was like all right, he had a little you know, twitch to his game and you know, seemed quicker, good shooter.
Speaker 2: But it's like Klay Thompson.
Speaker 3: I watched Klay Thompson play just because of Michael Thompson, his.
Speaker 2: Dad, and I'm like, oh, hey, he can shoot. Man. Good for him.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, you're watching one of the greatest shooters in NBA history.
Speaker 2: What do I know?
Speaker 5: Yes, Paul, Yeah, Reeves was two years at Wichitas State, two years at Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember Wichita State. Steve Lapis, CBS Sports college basketball color commentator. He was on site for the national title game in San Antonio last night, he joined us on the program Good to see again, Coach, let me start at the end of the game and then maybe work our way back the play that was called and Florida knowing what that play was going to be, did that kind of was that the collision that we had?
Speaker 17: Yeah, and that also and really Houston's execution on the play. I just watched it again for the third time. They didn't screen anybody on that play. It was just and normally, let's face it, Kevin Sampson's tremendous coach. They execute very well. But on that last play, they didn't execute anything. And that's why, you know, Florida was able to come out and get to manual sharp. But if he shot fakes there, there's a good chance Clayton runs by him and he gets a shot off. Instead, he tried to shoot it right away. You know, kid makes a mistake in that situation.
Speaker 13: It happens. But you know, the big thing, Dan was they had five.
Speaker 17: Turnovers in the first thirty eight minutes and forty seconds of that game, and the last one twenty they had four turnovers.
Speaker 13: So the execution in the last two minutes was.
Speaker 3: Back as a former coach and I brought this up and maybe I'm thinking that this is what happens. But if I'm going to face you and it's a big game, I have to know what do you do? What's your go to play with a game on the line, Like I have to figure out what do you love to do? And every team has a play that they love to go to, And I'm wondering did Houston have a stock play that they loved to go to and Florida did their research scouting and knew what it was going to be.
Speaker 17: I think Houston has a couple. You know, they maan that one for a manual sharp. They have a couple for LJ.
Speaker 13: Cryer.
Speaker 17: Those are the guys that he considers they're two closers. They also have a play where they can go inside to Juwan Roberts. So again I think on that last play because you know the other thing about this day and it's a one day prep, so there's only so much you can give those kids in one day to get ready for that game. I think that was Obviously Florida did a great job. I would say it was more a lack of execution on Houston's part than a great defense on Florida's part. Obviously they played good defense on it, but I think Houston really just messed it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point.
Speaker 3: I also brought up this was during the regular season, maybe it was the SEC tournament, and I said that if you win the SEC, it's like winning the national championship. And Florida was ready for this because and Duke wasn't. But I think that's because of the conference that you play in that every single night, Florida knew that they were in for a battle. Four of those games that they won in the tournament, they trailed by at least six points in the second half.
Speaker 2: Duke wasn't in that.
Speaker 3: And maybe this is a leap that I'm making, but it did feel like the battle tested team in a great conference, and that was the difference for Florida.
Speaker 13: That's not a leap at all, Dan, You're one hundred percent right.
Speaker 17: I mean, Duke's average margin of victory this year was twenty one points a game. They were in very few close games that came down to the wire. These kids, they were a young team. Now glanded the two freshmen Knippule and Flag. They played well, but in the last couple of minutes they didn't have the same legs as they had throughout the game, coming up against a team that's so tough and so physical like Houston was.
Speaker 13: So I couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 17: Them not being in the pressure cooker of the league that the other at the Big twelve.
Speaker 13: And the SEC were definitely made a difference to Duke in that game. Without question.
Speaker 3: We had Geno Oriema on yesterday, we had Dan Hurley on yesterday. Now they're both facing the transfer portal in different ways because Gino doesn't really have to worry about this, whereas Dan Hurley goes this is crazy. But then Gino said, imagine if you had free agency during Super Bowl week. You know that that's what you have with the free agency in college basketball. What would be your remedy for this moving forward?
Speaker 2: You know, first of.
Speaker 17: All, you got it at least started after the tournament, because you know, you have it started two weeks ago. You know, the transfer portal was opened, so to have it opened with some people are still playing is ridiculous. And you know, I don't know long term of where we're going with this, whether you know, kids have to be committed for two years, whether there's going to be some kind of a salary caps This is like nuts, you know, as you know in pro leagues, there's excuse me, salary cap, a contracts. Here is free agency every year. I'm glad I'm not in it right now. To be honest with you, and you know, to be faced with this as a coach, to be worried about whether the guys you have are coming back, you know, that would have to drive you nuts.
Speaker 13: So I'm you know, something's got to give. This is not sustainable.
Speaker 3: I don't think Geno Oriama also brought up He says, yes, I have twelve national titles, but if I was coaching in the men's you know, or we had to abide by the men's rules. You know, Diana Trossi's won and done, Branda Stewart would be one and done.
Speaker 2: Maya Moore would be one and done.
Speaker 3: So if you were going to look at the model that women's basketball has and you put that with the men, you know, John Wooden had all those players who stayed coach k for a long period of time, had guys who stayed who do you think could have benefited the most with the talent they had if they had to stay or everybody was staying at least three years, maybe four years.
Speaker 13: Probably John Calipari Kentucky.
Speaker 17: I mean, who recruited better freshmen that were NBA players than him?
Speaker 13: If he had those guys. If you think about the.
Speaker 17: Team that won it in two thousand and twelve or fourteen, I forget that team was, you know they if those guys come back, He's probably gonna win two or three more with those guys. So I think that, and that's one of the great somebody I'm good friends with Ginos. If somebody asked me, is Gino going to retire? I said, why should he retire? He's got the best job in the world. He gets the best class and he knows.
Speaker 13: They're going to be there for four years.
Speaker 17: Like you know, that's why you feel for John Shire. I'm not saying he's not gonna get a great class next year.
Speaker 13: He already has. But he had this generational talent. He's up six points with thirty seconds to go and didn't didn't win it. That's and I and I have some games and I'm taking to my grave. That's one that John Shire is gonna take to his.
Speaker 2: We always go who won it? Did some win it?
Speaker 3: Es somebody lose it like in that situation, And I know you're in the coaching fraternity there, But Duke collapsed.
Speaker 2: Duke lost that game.
Speaker 3: Houston took advantage, But I can only take advantage if you allow me to take advantage.
Speaker 13: No question, Dan, I mean, that's how you have to look at. First of all, they couldn't get the ball in balance.
Speaker 17: They had the same guys, one guy I forget who was taking it out, Sion James was taking it out and he was having trouble getting it in. They called t him out. He's still the guy who's gonna get it in bounds. They changed their formation. They put a formation where they had four guys within like fifteen feet of each other with four defenders.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that they They definitely gave it away.
Speaker 17: Yes, Shuston took advantage. Houston made the plays, they got the offensive rebound dunk. Yes, yes, But Duke definitely and John Shire knows that, and that's why it's gonna eat him up, just like it's gonna eat up Kelvin Samson.
Speaker 13: That on those last two.
Speaker 17: Possessions, they don't get a shot. You know, if you, all right, we get a shot, we miss, we run something good, we get and we miss, we miss. Okay, fine, But to not get a shot, that's the thing that each shot.
Speaker 2: What's the worst way to lose? I mean, the worst.
Speaker 17: Way to lose is is That's why I felt bad for both Kelvin Sampson and John Shire. Those are two really bad ways to lose because you felt like it was on you. You had this game one both those teams. It's one of you know, I had games in my career where were the game ended? I said how did we lose that? And I also that games where I said how did we win that?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 13: So, I mean it.
Speaker 17: Does work both ways, and you look, I think both those games, Kelvin Sanson has to.
Speaker 13: Say how did we lose? And Shohn Shire has to say how did we lose?
Speaker 17: So when you don't execute, don't get a chance, and you give things away, you don't get beat. Like you said, dude, they gave it away. They didn't get beat. They got beat, but they gave it away. They gave the opportunity. It wasn't back and forth. They made one more shot than us, we lost.
Speaker 13: That's it.
Speaker 3: Okay, But if you're Houston you don't get a shot off, or you're Houston and you don't box out Lorenzo Charles against NC State, which which way is more painful for you if you're coaching.
Speaker 13: I think it's more.
Speaker 17: I think in the Lorenzo Charles thing was a little bit of luck because it's an airball, and it's not the easiest thing to box out on an air ball. Don't get me wrong, it should have been. There should have been a body on him, But that was like a fluke. That's one there that you say it couldn't hit the rim. If the shot hit the rim, that doesn't happen, So you know, you say things like that.
Speaker 13: I think it's worse when you just give it away like these guys did.
Speaker 2: Playing in a dome.
Speaker 3: I remember the first time I shot hoops and a dome and man was in an optical illusion like it took a while with the depth perception there, and I know that that's here to stay because the NCAA wants to get sixty seventy thousand in there to make money. But that adjustment period does that still go on for these you know, major university players.
Speaker 17: You know it's not as talked about as much now that we've been playing domes for so long, but certainly when it first started, whatever it was twelve thirteen years ago, it was a factor and it gets talked about a little bit.
Speaker 13: I know, we talked about it with Kelvin's ants.
Speaker 17: We were at the Indianapolis Regional with him, and you know, he just felt like, we got to get these guys in here.
Speaker 13: They're gonna shoot as many as they can.
Speaker 17: But both teams are in the same situation, so you try not to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to your coach, and we look forward to next year so we can have you back on to talk college basketball.
Speaker 13: I love being on with you, Dan, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That's Steve Lapis. He coached at Manhattan and Villanova and UMass and works for CBS during the tournament. A couple of phone calls in here. Yeah, you don't realize it because if you shoot hoops and you have a background and you're fine with it, you're accustomed to that. You get into these, you know, dome stadiums where you know the basketball floor is out here and then the stands are a little bit of ways, and it'll mess with you a little bit because shooters, depending on you know what your target is. You know, some look at the back of the back of the rim, some look at the front of the rims. I never looked at anything. I just looked at the rim as a whole. But guys will h hey, I'm shooting to that spot right there. But I never thought of it that way. But some guys if you do that and then all of a sudden your eyes see something behind you, and it can mess with Now, there was some bad shooting last night.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Let me see the teams combined to miss thirty seven three point attempts. I can give credit quotation marks to good defense, but not everybody's supposed to shoot threes. I do think Houston did a wonderful job on Clayton. I do they did a wonderful job, and that because he'll shoot a contested sean. He's not afraid, and a lot of guys don't want to hand in their face. They don't you know there, you just don't shoot. They don't like shooting that way. Other guys are fine with it. They don't see it because that's I always marvel when I watch Steph because guys are flying at him and they're, you know, trying to get a hand there.
Speaker 2: They do anything to kind of throw him off. But when you.
Speaker 3: See through the clutter or the clutter doesn't bother you, boy, that's when you're a killer. And obviously he is. Uh Sean in Indianapolis, Hi Sean, welcome back.
Speaker 2: What do you have for me?
Speaker 7: Ay Dan?
Speaker 18: A couple of things. One, I don't know if there was a combination of the dome, but the shot selection was just bad and they I mean they weren't even hitting rim. But the other thing I was gonna ask you, guys, what is more entertaining? Is it a great win at the end or is it just a brutal loss, like a freight train is coming and it's just a brutal loss. What's more entertaining for you guys and for us as people watching?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm looking for talking points. What's the content here? If Florida one by fourteen, I don't care. I mean, they won great, but the fact that it came down to this, you know, North Carolina against Michigan and the timeout with Chris Weber that added content. Georgetown North Carolina and Freddie Brown throwing the ball to James Worthy that's content. But then they are national. You know, a Villanova with Chris Jenkins with the shot at the buzzer to win in a play that they had run earlier in the year.
Speaker 2: That's content. That's what I love.
Speaker 3: Hey, if it's a tough loss, that's still content, but a blowout, you know the beauty of it, that's not content.
Speaker 2: Take a break. More phone calls coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of great things in the man Cave, and I've collected these probably over thirty five forty years, and some of these things don't mean anything to anybody other than me. But I do appreciate when somebody realizes that maybe there's something in the man Cave that I need and that I don't have so I wanted. I like when I get one of one. I have Ryan Leaf's jersey from the draft if the Colts had drafted him instead of the Chargers. It's a one of one. I have Eddie Curry's Dallas Maverick jersey. It's the longest jersey I've ever seen. Well, I just got something and sent to me by a gentleman named Gary Smith, who used to be the equipment manager for the Philadelphia Flyers, and he was in the Spectrum and the seventy six Ers shared the same arena, and he got me the following. If you're watching on Peacock, if you're just listening, these are the longest warm up pants ever made. They're Minute Bowls warm up pants from the Philadelphia seventy six Ers. I don't even know the size of these.
Speaker 2: I guess they're custom. I don't think you can buy them off the rack.
Speaker 3: But minutes like seven to seven and these these warm up pants come all the way up to my shoulders.
Speaker 2: So Gary, thank you.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I'm going to display thee but it's a it's a great day for the man Cave. Let me just put it that way. This is a wonderful item. This is one of one and we will uh.
Speaker 2: Go Lee, you folded them Forlida.
Speaker 3: I did, I did, and I did see. I went to Patrick Ewing's first NBA game, a preseason game, and he played against Minut Bowl. When Minute Bowl came out of the locker room. If you said there's a guy on stilts in there. I would have believed you it was one of those oh my god, he is so tall. When we saw Taco Falls, when we saw Houston play what Central Florida and he came out on the floor and I'm going, oh my god. And minute was one of those guys that you just saw and you go, how do they make people that big? You know, Florida's got that seven to nine kid who was cutting down the nets last night and he didn't even use the latter, but that's awesome. Well, well, somehow find a way to display those in the man cave. Love getting them.
Speaker 5: Yes, when you teased it, you said something from the sixers. I was like, oh, maybe it's a doctor j autograph, which is people can get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't care about that.
Speaker 5: You can get that if you pursue that.
Speaker 2: I love Doc. But Minuke Bull's warm up pants right my own.
Speaker 5: It's funny just saying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I go home.
Speaker 3: Today and I say to my wife, hey, I got something in the mail, it's awesome. Well what was that? I'll go Minu Bulls warm up pants? Who's manut Boon? Why do you have his warm up pants? What's he warming up for and they're the the tear away like you have the snap. So I always want of those where you get ready to go into the game and like boom. I would still love to have them in real life where you have those on getting ready to go to bed? Should we wait?
Speaker 4: Work on tear away pajama? If you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow, alrighty. I mentioned Julio Jones retired, and when I saw that he retired, I was like, golly, I'm where's he been? Because he was with Tennessee I think, and he was on the Eagles roster.
Speaker 2: It felt like the last.
Speaker 3: Three or four years we didn't really see or hear much of Julio Jones, but he did have a five year window where he put up. If the Falcons win that Super Bowl against the Patriots, we remember his catch on what third and twenty two that set him up where they could have had a field goal, they would have won the Super Bowl. They of course had some you know, interesting call plays called, but he would have been immortalized for one of the great clutch catches in NFL history. It's just a footnote, but I think he had like thir teen thousand receiving yards, sixty six touchdowns something like that. And I you know, when somebody says hall of famer, if you said a couple of years ago, I had to say, oh, okay, of course, but I don't know. You know, did he play himself out of a Hall of Fame nomination?
Speaker 2: Yes, Pauline, all right.
Speaker 5: Should we play the game first or go through the stats first?
Speaker 2: Well, whi's the game? Is he a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: First ballot?
Speaker 2: You got to make oh, give me the stance first, so we can maybe change our opinion.
Speaker 5: Julio Jones when he entered the league, his first few years he was banged up, but then he went on a run, like you said, for six years one hundred and four catches, one thirty six, eighty three, eighty eight, one thirteen ninety nine. He had led the league in the receiving yard is twice, five time All Pro in a row, five in a row All Pro. So a couple of second teams, but that counts.
Speaker 2: Oh so wame it? First team All Pro twice, first.
Speaker 5: Team All okay, okay, second team All Pro thrice?
Speaker 2: Okay? Alrightmm hmm, Todd.
Speaker 3: Julio Jones Hall of Famer. Yes, but not right away, Marvin. Yes, I'm gonna say yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the run is that good.
Speaker 2: And that's the Julio Jones game.
Speaker 5: I think the cop might be Calvin Johnson because Calvin Johnson had six in a row, very similar, and but Calvin retired by choice. He didn't limp to the finish. But their their windows of their six years are almost identical.
Speaker 7: For production.
Speaker 3: Okay, but Antonio Brown Hall of Famer. Look at the production, take away the other stuff. Just production, Antonio Brown, Hall of Famer. He had about a five or six year window unstoppable seaton. By take away the other stuff, you mean, what all the crazy stuff like the way he quit the bank the Buccaneers. Yeah, yeah, I mean that's still a football thing. It is crazy as it was. Yes, Yes, and I think that was held against Tarall Owens. That was he a great teammate.
Speaker 4: Right, But as a player, one hundred percent he is, Yeah, no question.
Speaker 9: As a player, he may be the best wide receiver I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: All Right Todd, Yes, Paul, no, because.
Speaker 5: Uh short receptions. I was I always thought it was more numbers than greatness. That said, he was first team All Pro four straight years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was dynamic man.
Speaker 9: He was catching balls in a phone booth.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean they were short pounces, but he tore you know, turned those into long receptions. He was unstoppable. He was I mean that window is like damn. He is always open. Always didn't have the blazing speed like Tyreek Hill. But Tyreek Hill unstoppable? Is Tyreek Hill a Hall of Famer? Let me take a break and get some research on that. It feels ish ish. Two hours in the books, one more to go on this Tuesday. Great to be with you. Todd Fritz is here putting a smile on America's face. Nobody else in here but Todd is final hour right after this