Speaker 1: Big Bank. You don't be on nothing. I be on okay, So let me ask you bring you.
Speaker 2: Big Visit the new website today, Big factspod dot com.
Speaker 1: Line for the coaching labage.
Speaker 3: Time for Big Facts, Big Bank, Baby j DJ screen. Today we welcome legendary producer, songwriter and artists. The one and only Sean Garrett is here on Big Fact. Sean Garrett, what's up? What's up? What's up?
Speaker 1: Man with you?
Speaker 3: This is way overdue, yes sir, yes, way overdue, but welcome. We appreciate your time. You know what I'm saying. We know we're gonna have a great conversation. And Geed man Ship, I've been waiting. I've been waiting a long time to do this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this is the classic, you know what I mean, one of the hottest shows on line, straight out Atlanta, Georgia.
Speaker 3: There you go, there you go, see my folks. So, you know, the first day everybody want to know is where the hell you're being? Where you're being?
Speaker 1: Man man Ship, just finishing up this album.
Speaker 4: Man finally finally finished my album and just really excited about it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just been like a.
Speaker 4: You know, just a great opportunity for me to sort of like share some light and shit on like my perspective on the world and the R and B music and the culture and conversation and relationships and love and hurt and pain.
Speaker 1: You know shit.
Speaker 4: You know I've been through a lot of I've been through a lot, man, in my career, you know, a lot more good than bad. But you know, I haven't had my you know, moments of like triumph. You know, still dealing with like sometimes you know, I have you know, tough days and shit like like losing my mom and shit.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. But it's been a really good things.
Speaker 4: It's been amazing year, you know what I mean To see Usher, you know what I'm saying, All the shit come full circle, you know what I'm saying, Like, yeah, twenty years later, man being the biggest song of the super Bowl, you know what I'm saying, So shout out to my man, usher Man. It's just, you know, the journey, it has been really amazing. And two to get the love that I get from my community and all my.
Speaker 1: People that.
Speaker 4: Love music, you know what I'm saying, whether it be you know, black people or pop people or you know, urban culture. But I'm I'm definitely, you know, a flower and a seed from from from urban culture.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I enjoyed and I feel like, you know, I feel appreciated more so from the community than you know some of the people. I've given a lot of hits too, and hard work and blood, sweat and tears and shit.
Speaker 1: For so you know, sometimes you got to pop out and show me.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I just want to I just want to hold on, let me pull this up.
Speaker 6: I want to speak to that for a minute, to some of the blood, sweat and tears that you've given. I want to run some of this ship down for those that might not be familiar. Okay, So you've written for the likes of Usher, Sierra, Tierra, Marie Mario, Ludacris, Nicki, Minaj, Brandy, Enrique Iglesias, Calise Trey Songs, Nellie the Pussycat Dolls, three l W who I'm Gonna need another Lung, Ritney Spears, Lil Wayne Miley, Cyrus, Jesse McCartney, Destiny Child, Beyonce, Kelly Rowland, Ricky Martin One twelve, Nicole Schersinger, Gwynn Stefani, Santana.
Speaker 5: And Jack Queish, just to name a few. Yeah, a few.
Speaker 6: So my question is, with all of that under your belt, how do you remain humble in the midst of such gigantic accomplishments.
Speaker 1: You know, my mom from Perry Holmes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, fish out west Side. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm from the Swatch, you know, I'm from Kelln's world.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's hard to it's hard to not be humble right from where we came from.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just I don't never forget that shit. You know, you don't forget the fucking catch up sandwiches and yeah, you know what I mean, water with cereal and yeah.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 4: Just you know, I was talking about mom a lot, but you know, my mom was raped and left for dead when I was five. You know, just the journey of like growing and learning, all this learning, all the shit that you learned to survive, you know, at a young age, you know, teaches you so much about appreciating.
Speaker 1: Life, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, so not only do I appreciate, you know, it's hard for me to get off my pivot of like realizing what life is about. You know, what I'm saying, and a lot of those a lot of those songs were my contribution to to the world from a talent perspective, and like you know, wanting to succeed, like wanting to be successful one day, wanting to be able to provide for my kids and put myself in a position where I never had to work if I didn't want to work.
Speaker 1: No more so, I feel like I've accomplished that goal.
Speaker 4: Now my goal is more so focused on showing the world how much of a great artist I can be, and you know, showing the young kids that you know, had a different talent than what's the obvious, you know, being a you know, and I got a lot of love and respect for rappers and.
Speaker 1: You know, people that's in front of the camera.
Speaker 4: But also you know, just showing people that you can use your mind, you can use your abilities, you can use other you know, you don't always have to look like what another person looks like to be amazing.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You can you can be yourself like I was as a young person. You know, I was always sold. You know, my voice didn't.
Speaker 1: Sound like how I look, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Or you know, it's it's always those or I you know, I wasn't greeted that well, you know as a songwriter, producer at the beginning, you know, I was, Yeah, I was hating on and you know a lot of people thought that my style was wow, you know what I'm saying. But but my my confidence in myself, yeah, you know what I'm saying. You know, my confidence was the one thing that that was definitely the decision. It it got motherfuckers together, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it kind of solidified your status.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean because you know, you got to show people you can't like you can.
Speaker 5: Because niggas smell fear. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And so and it was a lot, you know, it was a lot of It was a lot of you know a lot of contradictions. But you know, my first my second record out was yeah Usher Yeah, and you know, it was a lot of pushback on that record, and it was a lot of people that didn't believe. And it's so funny, like you never forget the motherfuckers you see that hated on you or told you the way, and you.
Speaker 1: Look the motherfuckers in their eyes now that you're like, man, you know I knew it, and you shut up. Remember you know what I'm saying. What type of pushback you got from their record man ship? It was?
Speaker 4: It was pushed back from the perspective of like the line about who did the motherfuckers?
Speaker 1: It was really crazy who did? So?
Speaker 4: You know, to be honest, so I shout out to UH my manag Secure Steward Man, God, bless us soul. Yeah, you know, so I signed my I sign my first publishing deal with La Re's publishing company, Pickco Publishing, and you know, shout out to Billy Calloway too, because Billy Calloway was really the guy that signed me.
Speaker 1: And I had like four or five offers on the table.
Speaker 4: I had just lost my mom a year to the date that we leaked year and so I was really shopping the deal to UH as an artist because I came back from Europe. I didn't want to I didn't want to write songs for nobody. I really actually thought that was crazy. But I was like a lot of fun, would I want to do that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: But people were, you know, people were like, man, like you know, can you They were just offering me money to write songs for other people. And I just really thought she was crazy. But then, you know, when I lost my mom, it was just so much that she had taught me about, you know, never putting your eggs in one basket, and you know.
Speaker 1: My whole old life change ship with my mom.
Speaker 4: God, so you know, you start thinking completely different when you would have lost your everything.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, My mom is my everything. So so I.
Speaker 4: Ended up doing my deal with a Hicco Music Publishing And so at the time, it was like it was quite a few different camps that were here, you know, shout out Noontime Man, the Critics and NOONI and uh and then there was it was also Tricky and and Yeah and the Dream and all of those guys and that that crew, and then there was like Pooh Bear, And there was a lot of guys that I really looked up to, Like I really looked up to John ta Y Austin. I thought Pool Bear was absolutely amazing, Yeah, incredible, And so I was an admirer of like this these talented guys, you know. But then at the same time, you know, there was a couple of people that had talked to and they were like, you know, you should sign a deal with us if you don't you know what I'm saying, I don't think you're gonna really like be that.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, what are y'all talking about?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I'm smoking all y'all niggas over there, like your whole team. But that was just me as a young kid, like being me, you know what I'm saying. You know, I played sports and ship, so you know.
Speaker 5: That competitive spirit.
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, especially like where we came from, like you know, like Adam Parking niggas playing football and baseball, and I'm like, but I've been doing this ship since I was a bit ship before I could read niggas like you know what I mean. So so it was it was so at the time I was trying to get you know, once I did my deal, you know when you sign a postal deal you basically got At the time, it's like, you know, you got twelve months to motherfucking make your money back. Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean, to recoup or you go into what they called suspension. And so I was determined, like, ain't no more fucking away. I'm I'm not fit to get twelve because you know, they stop your money. You know what I mean, So you you would you would take in advance, right, And so I didn't take like, you know, I had offers for like Universal was offered me like five fifty. I had to offer for like three p fifty from Sony, and so the way I looked at I was like, I ain't taking all that money upfront and shit, then I gotta pay that shit back.
Speaker 1: So I don't want that shit over my head. So I was like, man, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Try to find a company here in Atlanta that I can just go drive up and pull up and talk to them.
Speaker 1: So I took me a deal for like seventy five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: They gave me half of that upfront, and then I took you know, and the other the other part I broke down and they gave me monthly. So in my mind, I was just like, man, I ain't got a twelve month to go to fuck crazy. So the first thing I was thinking is how am I going to get in front of all these other people.
Speaker 1: So there was an album, the Confession's Album.
Speaker 4: Basically the Usher was pretty much done with, and fortunately I got an opportunity to be to work at work with you know, l a Read's publishing company, and La called me and was like, so, what you're gonna do? Kid? You know it was September. I saw my deal September uh three uh. And then he was like, you know, Ship, there was like November. He's like, care what you're gonna do because Ship the album is done.
Speaker 1: I was like, damn.
Speaker 4: So I had to figure out how could I get in front of the game and try to make an impact. So I said, man, Ship, let me I want to get some Little John beats and I'm gonna take one of my little John beats and put a fucking Michael Jackson song on original Michael Jackson song on.
Speaker 1: On a crumpy right.
Speaker 4: And so that was just kind of like the perspective of like how I looked at and I was like, damn, if I can get us, shuld have seen this song. I know I could, because I didn't think I didn't. I was like, you know, I love J D and and Jermaine. I'm excuse me, I love J j D and Brian Michael Cox, but I didn't think that they would do that, right. I knew it was certain. It was certain frequencies of songs. I know they wouldn't do, you know what I'm saying, just naturally. So it was like I asked, I think I had asked, uh, maybe Billy Yo what records they got on on the album? And I heard do they have any up tempo records on the album? And the only up temple record they had was Caught Up? And so I heard caught Up and I was like, that's that's that's dope. Uh, that sounds like the Jackson stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's like that kind of reminded me of can you feel? So I was like, let me get this nigga thriller. If I can do Billy Jean beat it and thriller in one song, I feel like I can beat everybody on the album.
Speaker 1: And that was the That was the creative perspective of what I did.
Speaker 4: So shout out to my girl Delicia, who at the time was Delicia, I oe you Dinner, lunch, and breakfast. But at the time I had asked Abillity to reach out and shout out to l. A. Reed's son, Antonio re Jr. He was definitely a big advocate for me at the time, and he was working there and he was telling his dad like he was fighting for me. He was probably it was only a couple of people that really fought fought from me with that song. But anyway, long story short ended up doing the song.
Speaker 1: And that was an engineer.
Speaker 4: So at the time, there was this guy named j Q that was a producer, that was a songwriter, producer, and our staff engineer was k C. And shout out to my brother ksey Man, amazing producer and engineer. But he was a staff engineer at the time, and he happened to not be there that day that I needed to record this. So I asked, I asked the kid JQ, could he engineer my session? And uh so he engineered my session.
Speaker 1: I finished the record and then and.
Speaker 4: So the next day I had I told you know, I was telling billion and uh and Shaquil. I was like, Yo, we got a fucking smash record like for Usher and they liked it. But the next day Billy called me and was like, Yo, Sean, so yo, can we give can we give?
Speaker 1: Like JQ like maybe five percent of the song?
Speaker 4: And I was like for what He's like, well, you know he's a writer, and you know, at the time, I'm brand new, you know what I'm saying. So I was fucking pissed, you know what I mean, because I was just like, you know, it's like, if you do something, you do it, you know what I mean, If I if I if he'd did something. But the crazy shit was, it was all he was signed to the same publishing company, right, So it made more sense as an executive if you got to writers on a song from the same company.
Speaker 1: That's more equity in the song. You're working both of.
Speaker 4: Your writers, right, And at the time, I just felt like that was fucking robbery.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, fucking me over, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But you know, you only got so much juice when you knew and when when you're young. So you know, I agreed to it, man, and it kind of you know, now I feel okay with it because it's just like, you know, it's okay to give somebody something, you know what I'm saying that that could have helped that man's life. And I'm you know, I'm grown now, you know what I'm saying. But at the time I was straight living, you know.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 4: Ft up part about it is when you start saying you wrote the song, you know what I'm saying so late.
Speaker 1: It's like he started telling.
Speaker 5: Them you have a credit on it. So it's like, so.
Speaker 4: That shit pissed me off, you know what I'm saying. It's like, man, how like, you know, don't fucking do that. He added nothing to the song, no zero zero. Well, I mean firstly personally engineered the sense. Yeah, okay, you know what I mean. And he was great, he's a great engineer, and I paid him, you know what I'm saying. But I don't go in the studiod the right song.
Speaker 5: Him, Like where the hell did the credit mark in?
Speaker 4: Well, because you know, politically, yeah, I was dealing with the label. I mean, I was dealing with the publishing company. You know what I'm saying, And you know I don't it was It's not a salty thing. And it's like, you know, I learned later that you know, that was a blessing for me, and it was a blessing for him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I just didn't like the fact that he was telling people he wrote the song. That ship pissed me off.
Speaker 1: But yeah, don't do that again. Yeah, don't don't do that.
Speaker 4: But uh, but the thing about it, the lesson, there was a lesson in that, you know, And what the lesson was, I had to go really prove myself again. You know what I'm saying. I had to prove myself again and again. So my next thing the next that same week, I did Goodies.
Speaker 1: Then next yeah, then that next couple of weeks there I did check up one one time to know.
Speaker 4: They changed the hook. They changed shut out my Man, big Zach. So I originally named it song cookies. The whole song is just exactly the way it is. It's just they change cookies to goodies. Yeah, yeah, shut out big Zay. You know that's my dog man let you so so yeah, you know. But I originally don't like to write songs with people. And it's not it's just because in my mind, if I have a perspective of what I'm trying to do, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna live and die by that.
Speaker 6: And you want to execute your vision from top to bottom period without any distractions or.
Speaker 4: Because ultimately what they ask you to do, Like, they don't come to me to just write songs. They come to me to do hits. And if that song's not a hit, that's on my that's on my ticket. You know what I'm saying, I'm.
Speaker 6: Starting another niggas ingredient into your recipe, can throw off the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and some people try to make that, you know, some people spin you or been the ship and make it seem like you're being difficult. It's like, no, like when I go work with Beyonce, like I'm coming to that motherfucker too close. You know what I'm saying, I'm not coming there and miss, because if you miss, you never get in the room where again exact, you know what I'm saying. If you if you don't deliver, you know you don't deliver, right. And it's just like, so the game is so funny how it plays with you and shit and try to make it seem like you know, you're cocky or you this or that, that same confidence that they come to you for, they use that shit to work against you, to make it seem as if, oh, now he's full of itself. It's like, no, nigga, I've been full of shit popping from day one.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. That's why the fuck you on my line? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And if you don't appreciate that, so so what happened when it came to me as an artist. When you don't, when you give these people the opportunity to control the narrative, then they can say what they want to say about you.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. They start paying all other kinds of shit.
Speaker 4: You're inviting JJ and Quad and Tay and all these motherfuckers on the credits, and you're just like, well, who.
Speaker 1: What is this? You know what I'm saying. So, you know, you learn.
Speaker 4: And a lot of the things that a lot of the kids that asked me, well, how did you do it?
Speaker 1: I feel I feel this.
Speaker 4: Overwhelming responsibility to help the young kids understand how to be become dominant in the art of being a hit maker, right. And you know, it's one thing to be successful and have a hit song, but it's more so about being diligent in how you do it, the whole process of it, and not allow somebody to really, like, as we say, trick you off the streets, you know what I'm saying, Like, you got to really get your ability up to the point where you can survive alone in the jungle, right And if you can take care of yourself in the jungle, then you will definitely be able to feed your family and feed the community.
Speaker 1: Right, And so.
Speaker 4: That was a big that was a big part of like my journey. Yeah, it was about giving to the people. You know. I never wanted people to look at me and say I never gave back to my community.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: When I gave goodies to Sierra, that was giving back to my little sisters that wanted to have a career, right because that changed her life. You know, I changed Chris Brown's life, Like, that's my little brother and I wanted to and when I met him, I wanted to give him all that I knew everything, you know. Shout out to my man, Scott Storch. You know we did run it, give me that. There ain't no way water wall. Shout out my boy, uh Greg Scott, you know that was his sound, that's his Yeah.
Speaker 5: You're just glazing over it like it's just but that's like the major ship.
Speaker 4: Like, so I had to go do that to show motherfuckers though. Now did JQ do.
Speaker 5: Did they?
Speaker 1: Did JQ do running and give me that and ain't no way in water wall?
Speaker 4: And check obarn and give me body and upgrade your ring and alarm and Diva does that sound like JQ.
Speaker 1: Wasn't sound like John Garrett. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I I hate to have to give a nigga that, but I have to spank a nigga, you know what I mean, because it's like, don't don't don't ever disrespect me like that. What I'm saying, that's not what you do, bro, you know what I mean. And then and then people start running with that ship, you know what I mean, start sucking up your brand. So so so sometimes when you ask, like where I've been, it's like.
Speaker 1: Healing, my nigga, I've been healing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I just you know, I took, I got my I took my wounds, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know, I licked my wounds, and I learned. You know what I'm saying. I've been learning and growing. They said anything else?
Speaker 3: When what you think the disconnection is though, between the writer and the artists. You think, do you think that there is a little bit of ego there because the artists obviously the performer, the superstar. They go and you know, they got certain things that they have to do to make a record successful. But of course the pend the producer, the engineer. There's a lot of other elements that make a record successful. But why do we see that so much? The class between the artists, and I think it's more of a black urban thing, to be honest, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, you see, country artists always show a lot of love and respect to the songwriters and the people that. You know, they get up there and I like, thank Bob and Jesse, you know, bring everybody up on stage and all that type of shit. But you know, brothers, Yeah, it's like, you know what, And it's not just the artist, it's the managers. It's the people that's in business with those people that convince them to to for some reason, to make them think they're one man band. When it took a nation, or it took a it took a village, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And I mean it takes you gotta be special people to come up with these fucking songs like this. Ain't like like you was sleep on the couch, Like you didn't like I remember you were sleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, you were sleep.
Speaker 4: You woke up here you sang the motherfucker, but you was asleep Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Like let's not get this shit fucked up.
Speaker 4: Now you got this convenient amnesia, and now you're on a whole nother tangent because you got the mic and you on stage and you fucking receiving the award.
Speaker 3: But now you're the fucking disrespect when you say, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm just trying to perspect perspectives. So if what do we do is somebody fresh as hell, right, and they go to the awards and they fresh as hell, and they're like bros fresh as hell, right, but you know that bros fresh as hell because of the stylists. Should that person on that award stage give love and respect to the styles?
Speaker 1: I feel so too. Definitely, you should always think people. If they don't, then I don't take it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you ain't never seen it, Like I ain't crying, you know what I'm saying. I'm just being clear, right, you know what I mean. It's just like at some points twenty years later, like you couldn't thank me in twenty years.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: If you couldn't thank me in twenty years, that means you appreciate me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You may hope and make another hope.
Speaker 7: You know, I've seen stylists push it on niggas and it still don't look right.
Speaker 1: Though. Yeah, we see put it.
Speaker 3: I'll show you written for people and it just didn't work because they just won't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not the crazy part about the word writing. It's kind of like it's not a fear just of what we do. Like I create the song, I mean write the song, sing the song, arrange the song so it so when you present the song to them, it's already done.
Speaker 1: All they gotta do is come in there and do what they do as an artist and sing.
Speaker 5: So you don't just so basically you don't just write, you construct.
Speaker 1: I completely create the song.
Speaker 4: I go take this and take that, and at this and at this, and get in front of them and record the song this, this melody with.
Speaker 6: That tone, this this, and put it together and you basically sing it for them and do everything for them and just have them redo it in their voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's not like they're not talented. They are talented. It's like an actor. It's like the actor don't write the script. There's a there's a writer that writes the script, and then there's a director and then there's a producer.
Speaker 1: There are different people that do different things.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately people don't understand the power in sharing.
Speaker 1: There's a power in sharing.
Speaker 4: There's a power in saying, hey man, this person right here is really really great at what they do and they help me do this and that. Right of course you're gonna get to shine you on stage. I mean, we see you. And I'm not complaining this. You know this, this interview for me is not about me complaining or making this about I really want to talk about my mother of an album. But but but in all fairness, it for the for the for the younger generation and the newer songwriter producers.
Speaker 1: You know, this is how good you have to be though. That's the point that I'm trying to make.
Speaker 4: You really gotta be good, you really really, because it's gonna be a lot people gonna shot on you.
Speaker 1: They're gonna play you.
Speaker 4: They're gonna play you out your position, they're gonna try to they're gonna they're gonna fuck with your mind, they're gonna hurt your feelings. It's a lot of ship, you know what I'm saying. And I just don't want to. I don't want to sugarcoat this ship and make it seem like it's a fucking man. Yeah, you know what is the superman like? No, nigga Like. I'm a hard working as person who takes everything serious.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I know my business, I know how the game works. I can tell you my mistakes. You know, I took those scars, you know. I remember getting hated on. I remember that motherfucker still on stage and just say shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Remember that other time that you overlooked the record, that you thought it was gonna be okay, but it like shocked you, Like damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it happens too, you know, Yeah, for sure, bro, because you know, I mean, this.
Speaker 1: Guy's world, it's not my world, you know.
Speaker 4: But I'm just thankful that I have been able to be a part of some of the greatest artists in the world's lives. I appreciate them giving me the opportunity to work with them, you know, being able to work with especially the newer artists. You know, when it was when when it was Chris, you know, to see where Chris is now and to see how just amazing he is as far as as like his true talent as an artist, right he's surpassed. Now, this would be the conversation I have with Chris. I would say, Chris, you're so good. Now go back to Michael. What would Michael do? Michael will put together a project that is so incredible with the best of the best creatives and change the world because you're that good. You know what I'm saying, meaning like, let's sit down and have a conversation, create a conversation about your narrative, about your life, because when we get into Chris Brown's life, that's when it gets really fascinating. You understand what I'm saying, Like, that's what Michael would do. Michael, you know, and he loves Michael, and we've had those conversations and.
Speaker 1: Is your man on the floor If you ain't, let me know, that's Michael. You know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, y's you guy knows Let me give me that's Michael. You know what I'm saying. And you know me, I'm.
Speaker 4: You know, So he loves Michael, and I gave him Michael, and he gave me inspiration, right, And so I feel like facilities artists, I'm the greatest to work with for them.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying other people aren't. That was all about to ask you, so, who's the greatest of your era? Song? Right, the greatest song right of your hero me?
Speaker 3: The greatest?
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, no better than that, you know. It's like comparing Michael Jordan and Kobe.
Speaker 5: So that's what I wanted to ask you too.
Speaker 6: Did y'all ever get back on the same page after that whole versus thebacle?
Speaker 1: It wasn't a debacle.
Speaker 4: It was basically, respectfully, you know what it is. It was as as Black said it was. It was pure reality, okay, right, And the reality is I'm the greatest of my generation numbers wise, the way I affect the culture, I was first at doing a lot.
Speaker 1: I was first to change the game.
Speaker 4: I didn't Yes, it's the number eleven song on the biggest on the greatest hits of all time, high one hundred list period.
Speaker 1: I don't care what, none of nobody don't care. With noning nobody.
Speaker 4: There's only one person that's living right now as a producer that's in front of me, and that's Jermaine Dupree And he's number ten with We Belong Together. So that's he not from my generation, He's from the generation before me, you feel me so.
Speaker 6: So basically, JD is the only nigga that's close enough to even be able to fit in that comparison with you.
Speaker 1: It's just the truth. Yeah, you know what I mean? I got eighteen high one hundred and one. Is you ask any and what I mean?
Speaker 4: Nigga Hot one? You know that number one spot on that Hot one hundred listen like that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who you think? Who you think?
Speaker 7: The up and coming goal is of like songwriting, like these new guys, this generation songwriter.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's there's a there's quite a few people that's showing potential.
Speaker 1: I don't see it yet. You see what hit Maker? Just being honest, it's a big fact. I like Hitmaker, but he don't have a high one hundred number one yet. He gotta.
Speaker 4: You gotta have the numbers, guys, you can. You can call yourself hit maker. You can. You can do all of that. You gotta show up and show the funk out. All that talking is for the birds. You got to show.
Speaker 1: Me, like the record you just played in them, Yeah, show me, you gotta press me, show me and listen. I love hit Maker, but I would be doing hit Maker at this.
Speaker 4: Service to say that he is doing that when you ain't got the numbers, because somebody's gonna come along and kill you with that conversation. I don't want to misleave my brother and say, hey, brother, you're doing this, and when you're gonna bring it, somebody's gonna walk up and say, you know, it's just like somebody's gonna somebody's gonna what they call uh what they call it when you they're gonna fact check you. You know what I'm saying, like, like, who have you broke? Like I broke Chris Brown, I broke Sierra I sent us You're through the moon like I said, Beyonce through the universe.
Speaker 1: Think part of it. Just it's a different time.
Speaker 4: And you know, by the time I'm talking about what what the what time capsules?
Speaker 1: Respect what we're talking about some big facts and were talking about you can't bring me on big facts that he ain't want to talk about no facts. How we get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 4: But I mean, and that's the reality of it. It's like and that's see, that's the bullshit.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Because you because you're wearing because you because you win, you're in that uniform I'm supposed to give you.
Speaker 1: Nah, what about producing? What produces? What you want to work with in this time?
Speaker 4: Like I mean, I like a lot of the producers, you know, I like a lot of See I gotta go back like see. That's the hard part because some people don't look at an interview and be like my nigga cocks hell, you know, but black like he's supposed to tell his motherfuckers. You supposed let him know better, right. But the hard part, that's the that's the hard part, because I don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't like. I don't like.
Speaker 4: Putting anybody down when you ask me about him making it's a heart, it's a heart.
Speaker 1: It's a hard respond you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying, because it's like, oh you hate on ah not because they was no motherfuckers didn't let me. They didn't give me that bro. They wouldn't give me no room. Yeah, they wouldn't give me no room. They won't give me no I did, yeah, and they was like, yeah, that's usher what Okay, So you're saying whatever you did.
Speaker 7: They were trying to kind of hold up like man, because they yell, had they got leaked, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it was it was because it was it was just God, that was just that just came out of nowhere. It's like that song was leaked December twenty third, uh, two thousand and three when we went on Christmas vacation.
Speaker 1: Came back. Man, that motherfuckers like sixty three hundred spins a week you work?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, what's that?
Speaker 1: You can't stop that?
Speaker 4: That's unbelievable, you know, And it's like and it's like all of the other people, you know, it's like at some point, ain't look, bro, you you could just you could, you could thank me you wrote and friends, that was somebody else's whole song, like that was just a whole nother song or somebody did they just redid the song.
Speaker 1: Did do the same numbers?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yes, your number on the greatest of all times. And when you say when you when you talk about like a hit maker or the dream remember.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: So so, no one no one just ever publicly come on black, you can't fuck with me, man, No one has ever publicly thanked you on the War Show, social media.
Speaker 4: Nothing never do y'all see me on BT, do y'all see me? They don't even I ain't even got the chance to present. They don't even let me present.
Speaker 1: I don't give a fuck. Yeah, you know what I mean. But it's just what anybody ever call you and thank you, oh man, because they don't want to say it. It's okay, Why do you think so let's think this looking to the bottom of this. Why do you think it's so? I mean, it's just like anything else.
Speaker 4: It's just like you know, because he because you ain't casching nobody ass bro. It's like I'm not I'm here to do my job.
Speaker 1: I'm here.
Speaker 4: I'm here for you to appreciate my If I if I give you my heart and you don't appreciate my heart, am I supposed to argue with you about that? No, I just gotta I just gotta look at you. I just gotta look at you every time I see you, and I see you.
Speaker 5: So let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: In a in a in a working relationship, and in a business setting. If I give you my heart and I see this you don't appreciate it, does that mean okay, hey, you didn't appreciate my heart the first time I gave it to you, So I'm not gonna fuck with you anymore? Or does that mean that I gave you my heart you didn't appreciate it. I'm just gonna continue to work with you because we do good business together. But with the realization that you don't appreciate your heart, We're just.
Speaker 1: Doing business, that's more.
Speaker 4: And I don't even I don't even make it a point of even bitching about it. It's just like, it's just it. I wouldn't be human because I am a person. I'm emotional. I'm a person that definitely have emotions, and I really give a fuck about people.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, I know what it hurts when they don't give that same fun back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely pisses you.
Speaker 4: It definitely fucks with you at some point because it's like, and then when you see the I'm saying, people struggling like they're struggling, like they think they're fooling us. But we know your last outing wasn't what that other shit was, So your ego gonna kill you. That's why I don't worry about it. Don't bother me. It's like, we all heard the album, we heard the ship. It didn't it ain't it now? Now you got to figure that out. You know what I'm saying, but the next time, if you decide to be a next time, or if I'm around, then we'll make sure that motherfucker shit makes sense on paper.
Speaker 1: What happened with the weapon you had to did for us? Why they make the album? Uh?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: The uh yeah that I was.
Speaker 4: I was a little pissed off about that too, the uh the Glue record, because yeah, I mean man, I feel like we brought Usher back with that song for sure, Like that was the one song that really connected and resonated with the community in reference to who Usher really is, his true essence, his performing ability.
Speaker 1: You know, he was in he was in you know, he was out in.
Speaker 4: M in Vegas doing his doing this thing, you know, and he had went through all of the things that he went through.
Speaker 1: And I wouldn't leave my brother's side, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I went out to shout out to my brother the Veiler brothers, and me and Little John and the Valor brothers went out there to Vegas and and and and was determined and and me personally, I was really the.
Speaker 1: Only one that really wanted to do it.
Speaker 4: People was like, fuck that, you know what I'm saying. But I love my brother, you know what I'm saying. And it's just like for the ship not to be on the album, like and the album wasn't I mean, what see that kind of shit right there? You're saying like the al will doodle I said, I know that our made confessions, you know what I'm saying. And for me, for me, that ain't a win for us. That's the whole point. That's where her coming at. It's like, cause niggas is calling my phone asking me why man, what the fuck going on?
Speaker 5: Sean?
Speaker 1: Like, who make that call?
Speaker 4: If you had to get I mean, it's the team, you know, you know at this point, you know, it's just his own boss, you know what I mean, and the other powers that be, you know, they make their decisions. And you know, unfortunately that's the difference between working your own project and being an artist and then giving things away to people. You know what I'm saying, because in those deals, you give them the opportunity and the rights to be able to uh place that master wherever they want to, right, And that's what you learn about the business. And so you have to understand the difference, right, and you have to also build a tough skin to understand that everything ain't gonna work the way you want it to work. You know, you would hope to have the influence on people that you can, but unfortunately it's just not that. It's just not that's just the way it goes sometimes. And so you know, it's just like being in being in the league and getting traded. You know what I'm saying. It's like, Damn, y'all ain't gonna give what's my man that just left Golden State. Y'all ain't gonna get clear motherfucker check Clay, help y'all wear in full rings, Like, come on, man.
Speaker 1: No folks feel like Clay, we paid for what you did.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, to to to to screams to screams points when he was asking, well, Sean, do you feel like sometimes stylists that style people right, should they get the same you know, love and respect on stage. It's like it's a difference when a person helps change your life and keep your lights on, that's different and that's a lot of itself. If you do that too, how long do you give gratitude to that? Though it's forever gratitude, but how long do you allow, like.
Speaker 1: Clay, if you don't fit the team. For the price that it don't fit, Bro, you.
Speaker 7: Gotta business rights, Like we're gonna forever be grateful for what you've done, But what can you do?
Speaker 1: That's all Like, that's why you're dropping his album because like, y'all know what I done did, But I'm gonna show y'all what I do steal. Yeah, you get what I'm saying. And that's where it's at. Man. It's like you know, and it's it's it's I just think that.
Speaker 4: I think the I think my community, I think people like y'all, I think all the DJs.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, it's been a journey, like you know.
Speaker 4: Also, uh you know, like break up, Breakup was my first single off my album.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I shared that record with Mario. He's in trouble, you know what I'm saying. I shared that song with him, Like that was my song. Y'all hear the song? That's me, you know what I'm saying. So you know, it's just like, Bro, you never brought me out one time. You never brought me out one show to.
Speaker 1: Perform to figure it out? It got it? I don't know what it is. I'll tell you what it is. It's just doing something. What is that you're doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm being me man, you know, And but you know what, life's a journey and like's a marathon, you know. And the same love that you don't get initially, eventually a person to love you, they're gonna have to show it to you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna keep it real with you.
Speaker 7: You know what, a lot of people hate when you're good, and you know you con A lot of people hate that ship. You know how good you are for real and you want to be treated that way. They hate you for that. Like like you speaking numbers, like a lot of numbers that I didn't know, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 7: A lot of people that I'm looking at like that they making hits. You're saying they ain't even made.
Speaker 4: The charts, so like they're making they making the charts black, but they doing like they talking about there's a difference in an R and B top five and a hot one hundred number one.
Speaker 1: Okay, you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Just because they're playing the Ship on the radio, my nigga, Like, don't get that shit confused with like I'm talking about that motherfucker that go bean that I'm talking about, that being circling around. Yeah, that that circle like the bean, like that tone, like you know what I mean, you know what that's a hum and then it's a motherfucking thing. It's two different.
Speaker 3: But you speaking, you were speaking, you were speaking about God's work, right, don't you think that that synergy of if you give yeah to I don't know, make up an artist's name, verse giving it to Usher like you gave yeah to Usher. You're saying the Usher is talented, right, So say if you give that to another artist, because you obviously giving records to artists, Like I said, I could have give yeah to more.
Speaker 8: Fucking uh uh, what's one man the same I could That ship just stimulated had the same effect.
Speaker 1: I could have gave you to Chris Brown. Yeah yeah, but it just all made sense that the record made so much. Yea Atlantic record, But it was created for him When you asked that question, Oh yeah, man, but it was created for him. Like it's just like you said, can he wear craft? It was crafted for him.
Speaker 5: So almost fit. It was tailored, so you.
Speaker 1: Have to tailor it for Chris Brown.
Speaker 4: If you'd have made it from Chris Brown, I sat in the studio for eight hours to wait for us to come downstairs. Okay, I went out to his house two twice for people to tell me.
Speaker 1: That I'm going to ruin his career. Mm hmm, okay, you really want me to? Yeah, tell you what I went. I went through it. I went through it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, all these other people, now, these people that's talking about the song, all they didn't do that.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't these people won't fuck with me? Is that his biggest record? The biggest is one of black music's biggest record ever. Did y'all see the super Bowl? That was the biggest song of the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the biggest song our generation. Let's stop playing this fucking thriller. One of the greatest albums ever. Yes it is, y'all tell me a black song bigger than Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just tell me on the charts. We can't ship blew the charts up. Bro. It stopped the music, stopped the music world. It changed the way music sounded. The fight to get him his biggest record.
Speaker 4: Imagine if that was you, black big black bank. Come on now, come on now, so let.
Speaker 5: Me ask you this. Let me ask you this.
Speaker 6: Since we're talking about records and handcraft and all that kind of stuff. With you being a triple threat of a producer, a songwriter, and an artist, how do you make the determination as to whether or not you're going to keep a record for yourself or whether or not you're gonna give it away to someone else? Like, what what makes you? What makes that determination for you? When you're creating them, you're a process.
Speaker 4: A lot of times if they don't take it, to be very honest, if I was to be so, you.
Speaker 5: Normally give it away first, and then if.
Speaker 1: They don't get drafted for them generally, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So it's not like it's not like I just write records and they be sitting around generally unless I'm just in that mode.
Speaker 1: But I generally don't be in that mode.
Speaker 5: Because your shit is basically cook the order.
Speaker 4: Every day I work, every day, I create a song every day of my life, you know what I'm saying, Whether I'm creating for me or Jimmy or Shirley or so, it's just like and so I get you know, like I might go work.
Speaker 1: I might go work with Beyonce and do seven records.
Speaker 4: Generally she takes the seven records like I went to go work on Desty's for Phil Dusty shaw last album.
Speaker 1: And I went there to do one song and that first song was is She the Reason? Is She the reason you like you used to?
Speaker 4: And the second song doing was girl you need? These are classics like ladies and gentlemen? Can we stop playing?
Speaker 1: Like? Can we fucking quit? Like? Are y'all serious? I mean, y'all want me to look? Are y'all? I said? Girl? I said, is she the reason? Dunn down? Nfe wonder what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: I ain't talking my soldiers when we took the girls from the pop chicks to the streets.
Speaker 1: If the standards ain't the handchacking from what we're talking about, can you keep up? Come on, y'all, Bam bam band, Come on, dog, ain't do it all that you did? Come on, be cock. I ain't even but it's just saying.
Speaker 5: That's why in the beginning I read all that ship.
Speaker 6: Out because like he's just sitting here like Sean, like this nigga is Big Sean, Like for real, this.
Speaker 4: Nigga shuttle big Shine?
Speaker 1: Which one is big Shine.
Speaker 7: To which one of these new artists that you see like in this in this era that you feel like I can craft them something like.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's been a couple of young artists that I'm working on right now that like it's this young kid named my Low that's on Black Ground. I'm gonna play this song before I leave. You're talking about some rn B ship, yo, he like he like Bobby Brown meets Bobby will Matck for real, shout be on that type of ship, young nigga ship. Like females, all the females in the world that do music, ask them about Sean Garrett.
Speaker 1: Ask them all the females, all y'all females out here that want to do songs. Do you guys want to work with me? Ask them? Do you want to work with me? Or do you work with him? Ask him?
Speaker 3: Has Sean Garrett ever been in a studio session or studio set and created or thought about creating with Future?
Speaker 4: Oh man, Future is one of my favorite artists, No bullshit. As a matter of fact, shout out to my man Mike will with me and Future. Yeah, me and Future got a chance to work one time. We did a song actually that was on my album set, the video and on everything. I just never never would never put it out. But Future is probably one of the smartest. He probably one of the smartest artists. He is. He is the ship, Like I mean, he he really understands his brand, understands what to say, he unders.
Speaker 1: Dances not.
Speaker 4: To be Yeah, and you know, game recognized game, you know what I mean, like creative, Like there's a lot of people like I know I have may have said some things in reference to like shit I don't like, but let me tell you the ship I do. Like, there's such a great amount of geniuses that I really really respect and fuck with, but he's definitely one of them. Of Course I love Kendrick Lamar, I love Drake nobody else. I think he's a fucking genius. Like, he's a fucking genius.
Speaker 1: J Cole.
Speaker 4: Producers, I mean, of course my man shout Out Bangladesh is one of my favorite producers of all time. Swiss Beat of course, uh Timblin of course. Missy Elliott is like one of my inspirations. You know what I'm saying. As a creative I was able, you know, to take a lot of these jewels and.
Speaker 1: What these people did. They impacted my life.
Speaker 4: So much, you know, even from like New addition, Velvet de Vaux the streets. You know what I mean, you just talk about I love uh Dillo. I just think he's fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: Just his just his his cadence, his approach, you know, he his. I don't give a fuck this. You know. I love what the girls are doing. You know that the.
Speaker 4: Girls are going crazy? You know Uh Lorella, I love her, I love all the girls. I'm just happy to see the women just doing what they're doing. You know what I'm saying, it's you can take your pick. I love the new JT record. I fucking love j Crazy Snow.
Speaker 1: I just I just love our culture. I really do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: You've been in the game twenty years, twenty one years, right, twenty years? How do you avoid like you know what?
Speaker 4: It never It never was attractive to me, you know, the weird ship which is never attracted to me.
Speaker 1: You've been even knowing me? You ever know me?
Speaker 4: I just never really gave a funk about trying to be seen or or trying trying to fit in, trying to be liked.
Speaker 5: You know what, I'm trying to be anything.
Speaker 4: Just my damn self, you know what I'm saying, Because I'm not good at being other things besides myself.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't you know.
Speaker 5: Anything else.
Speaker 7: A lot of niggas is good are being comedians and changing theyself for other people.
Speaker 1: A lot of niggas is good.
Speaker 5: That s it don't last for long.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the thing that people don't understand about. This is the part that people don't understand about hit makers and songwriters. Those chameleons have to come back to a source, a ground source, to get some new ship. To get that ship, that's where people getting.
Speaker 5: Get a new costume or a new suit.
Speaker 4: That's what people get fucked up. When you come outside. You have to show the fuck up and show the fuck out. I don't give a fuck about all that talking.
Speaker 1: Is that ship it?
Speaker 4: When I had the press play, I asked my brothers sisters to come and hear my ship my album before I even had the interview, because it comes with a different respect.
Speaker 1: Bangers too. When you hear them motherfuckers. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: When that ship, when you press play, all that talking and ship, all that what your name is? And you this and no no, no bro, because your ship just playing on the radio. You you walk around telling people what it is. They should be telling you what the fuck it is. I wait for the people to tell me, Oh damn, Sean, your song going crazy?
Speaker 1: Oh you like it? I appreciate that it's not supposed to work.
Speaker 7: Let's get into the album. What you got on them? Well I heard it, but you know, letting people know what we got on them?
Speaker 1: What that ships like? Smacking? You feel smacking?
Speaker 7: Even a play like you saying like these this album because they hard when singles ready to go though, yes, sir, uh, Well, listen, ladies and gentlemen, like I'm really really excited about my album this. This is the first opportunity I would I would say that you're getting a chance to get me.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Me as a man, me and me as a struggle, Me as the vulnerable, the vulnerable brother that talks about his pain and talks about his uh inability sometime to understand what I'm supposed to understand when it comes to relationships and love and.
Speaker 1: My struggle. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I talked about I talk about what my mental struggle was, and a lot of men need that, you know, some of some of us need the confirmation to knowing Like, damn, bro, I'm going through.
Speaker 1: That same moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's okay to talk about it, you know what I'm saying, Like when we talk about mental health, you know, Like my second single it's called Girlfriend featuring Uhpliza Huncho, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 4: But that's a record for us, that's a record for our sisters and our brothers, and basically that record talks about, uh, the struggle of like being misled.
Speaker 1: It's like, damn baby, you told me, you told me that you had me. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You told me you had my back. You told me you wanted to get to call me. You know what I'm saying. And through all this ship, whatever the happens, we're supposed to you know what. Yeah, but now you got them. You're trying to you the turbulence to the car. They God, damn, you're trying to jump out the car, out the carboard, you know what I like. Now, Now now it's turbulence, right, And I'm trying to maintain. I'm trying to maintain I'm only one man, I'm only one. I'm only a human.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I know I'm Superman. I know I'm.
Speaker 4: Superman, but I'm a human, you know what I'm saying. So you know, you know a lot of these everybody's different.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Some people play the streaming games, some people play the numbers game. You know me, I played the real game. I just talk about what the fuck I really feel, really, and you either like it or you don't, you know what I mean. And I'm hoping that you like it. But that's what my album's about, you know what I'm saying. And they're gonna fuck with in the clubs for show dj's' offen the fuck with it.
Speaker 1: I like that record with Jahck cueson on that one. I like them.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, that's the one we jumping out the goddamn we're jumping out to playing with that one. First, shout out my Black Queen. Shout out my boy Keys. I did a lot of.
Speaker 1: The album with my boy Keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah Man Keys and Ship, my engineer and executive producer does shout out my damn manager Kenny Cole, my brother Bobby Jack, who always got down got my back. I'm just shout out my label, Blackground Warner, all the people that just support my music.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 4: You know what, I'm saying, like when people ask me, like some people say some stupid shit sometimes like man, Sean, you're still doing this shit, man, why are you putting an album out?
Speaker 1: Like Nigga.
Speaker 4: I was an artist who I gave y'all year before I gave y'all this and that and this and that.
Speaker 1: I was an artist. But I would have to be patient also.
Speaker 4: To get my shit right right because all of these projects, when artists put the albums together, they take time to put them shit together. You know, they got a team, they got a label, they got you know, they got all these different they got agents, they have all these different things, and it takes time.
Speaker 1: To build those things in those relationships. You know.
Speaker 4: That's the one hard part. I would say, if you ask me, like, what was the most difficult thing about the success? Not knowing who these people were. That was probably the most difficult thing, because I didn't know who I was talking to when it came down to radio or what a radio promo person, what it did, and when it came to different tiers of what they did versus how the record label works and the person that runs radio from the label to the independent independence, independent promoters to the radio you know. All of that shit was very complicated when you don't know, and then so you're gonna make those mistakes and you're gonna have those inconsistencies when you have those inconsistencies of like, hey man, well why this record, Sean, why would you put your Inkwell album out? You know you had? I mean, I paid for all of my videos with me and Nicki Minaj shout out Nicki Minaj's Get It All or Me, Gucci and Tiger with she Geek or or.
Speaker 1: Me and.
Speaker 4: Jacob phil Love. I had a version with Drake on air as well. I had all these different features I had. I created this album, I had all these videos. I spend three hundred thousand dollars a fucking video. You're thinking that that's the right thing to do, but you're not understanding how to intricately put those songs in motion in the system. So a lot of this ship is learning the system. How do you pick who you work with? Is like, how do you pick who you work with?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: I be inspired? Like I'm a I'm a I'm a very uh on pissy.
Speaker 1: So I'm very.
Speaker 4: Discerning, you know, selective, yeah, and selective based on a person's energy and their heart and the realness, you know what I mean, Like, I just like real shit, you know what I mean? And sometimes you know, you know you're doing some pop shit sometimes, you know what I'm saying. Like when I work with Enrique Glacis, that was that was amazing, you know what I mean, Like he was but you know what, He's a good example of somebody that was really.
Speaker 1: Kind to me.
Speaker 5: Was it like a breath of fresh air?
Speaker 4: It really was? Like when I work with Enrique I did. I did the Milo which was number one for thirteen weeks on a Latin Hot one hundred charts.
Speaker 1: Another one right, My people don't even know I did that, you know what I'm saying. You know what I mean? Where you get to compare.
Speaker 7: To you know who on your whistling is like Sean Glary Richly, I would work with this person, but I ain't got a change.
Speaker 4: A lot of the newer artists that's out now, man, Man, it's some dope ass I like. Uh man, I like so many different artists out man, that's a that's a great question. So I just had a brain last with so many of them that's out a lot of the newer artists that that are out. I really like that they're very different.
Speaker 1: But there's a.
Speaker 4: There's a difficult part with some artists when it comes to writing their music and making hits. So you got to understand what that what it is that they want, right, Because I'm a hit maker, so I'm probably going to be looking at it completely different than being.
Speaker 1: A creative and just making music. You're yeah, and and and and and intentional.
Speaker 4: Like if I'm coming in to do something, it's it's it's an intent.
Speaker 1: Right. We have to score, right if I'm that's what I want to do.
Speaker 5: If my name is attached to this, it has to go.
Speaker 4: I wanted to score, right, because not only when you score do you help yourself, but you help your community, you help the world, you help you there's something that you've given more to the world when there's a score, Right, when there's a win, it's like, damn, it's something to take from that, right. But if it was just something that just goes on deaf ears, it's just like, well, what was the point of the effort? Right, And so my perspective is just always like what's the intent, what's the purpose, and what's the point, And not to be complicated about it. It's just I just choose to make my life simple and the things I like to do are.
Speaker 1: To be doing something with an.
Speaker 4: Intent, and anything outside of that it just doesn't matter to me because it's just so many other things that's going on that I gotta worry about.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I don't have really time for that. So I've just made my life about my kids, my family, my work, and my community. And outside of that, I don't have time for the bullshit. I don't have time to be fighting with nobody and got time to be arguing with motherfuckers. I don't got time for none of that shit.
Speaker 1: And if it seems like it's that, I just get the fuck out the way because it's just like, what's the purpose of like arguing, you know what I mean? Like what the fuck are we arguing about?
Speaker 4: It's like, are we trying to come up with something that's going to help us get to another space, whether we're gonna make some more money or we're gonna build each other up, we're gonna help each other win. I'm with that type of ship, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: But I said I love I want to talk to you about speaking of family and mind frame and mindset or whatever. You recently did something with the Boys and Girls Club about mental health, so I want you to speak on that, and then I also want you to speak on the other philanthropic things that you've been doing, like while we've been missing you or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh good, it's great, sho. Well.
Speaker 4: The Girls and Boys Club was was really an instrumental in my life because I went to the Boys and Girls Club when I was like five and six years old, and my mom I used to I used to come home and be crying and ship every day that I went to the boys because that ship was rough as fuck, like them, like ship when when.
Speaker 1: I was in the Boys and Girls to do it like them a little more. Boy, I'm a little hard. I'm hard. I should have got Boys and Girls clubs where I learned how to.
Speaker 4: Be a motherfucker man for real, because you get beat up in there and they have your ass and that yo, I'm for real.
Speaker 1: It's like ship.
Speaker 4: You volunteer should be like one hundred little boys in that motherfucking they and you and they be. I used to be like, damn, they're watching us like it's the motherfuckers and they watching us, like, and you've been there and you feel like you're in prison.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: It's like they've been having they got ship. They got this big room with the the the the soft mats on the floor, and niggas are fighting, I mean.
Speaker 5: And no help, nobody's coming there.
Speaker 4: You're like, man, every day until I got until I had to start. I had to whoop whoop a couple of niggas. I had to whoop some ass in there. Then they start calling me muscle man. You know what I mean with ship, So that whenever when they mentioned Boys and Girls Club, I'm fucking with that one hundred percent because it's like a lot of these kids, you know, that's what they first learned. That's where they had their first fight. That's where they get jumped on first. That's when you learn to become You got to stand for yourself, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And that's the community, you know.
Speaker 4: So you know, and and when it comes to like my album, another thing, you know, I wanted to share my album with my community, Like I was saying that, like some artists are like streaming the artists. I'm a community artist, you know what I'm saying, Meaning like I'm the guy next door, meaning.
Speaker 5: Like grassroots, ground based.
Speaker 1: I want to play my show on the radio.
Speaker 4: I want you to see me down there at the V one O three ship they do every year one O seven nine ninety four five birthday bash show.
Speaker 1: That's just that's what you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: The grocery store, that's me, you know what I'm saying. And I'm a build from there. So you can get to know me and you know the type of person I am.
Speaker 1: And so that's so uh that's that's a big part of what my album is about.
Speaker 4: Boys and club, boys and girls club. It's still community. Anything that's got something to do with the communitybody that know me. I've been a part of the community. I've always talked with the DJ supported Yeah, I've always I've always helped a lot of people, have employed a lot of people. I just never really talked about ship. You know what I'm saying. It wasn't about talking about it.
Speaker 5: It's just about doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. And so philanthropically.
Speaker 4: Uh So, I got this thing called that I'm doing called Smash on the Radio University, and basically Smash on the Radio University is just gonna be like, well, I do seminars, and I really help kids and young producers and young songwriters, young artists, just music business one on one. You know what I'm saying from the perspective of like ground roots understanding the breakdown to where you have like a little manual you can go in reference, you can have something you can look at, or you can go you know online, and I'm gonna have a subscription based program that you can go have answer some of these questions to kind of lease give you some sort of understand today. Not like one of those music one on one books that you got to go read in the library. But this is like some today shit, you know what I'm saying, Like the shit we go through, the shit you're gonna have to figure out now based on like streaming versus like what the radio, because some people will say shit to you, Like like this business is really based on what people have to say, right, And so it's like if some people say that radio don't matter no more, and I'd be like, that's fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: Radio do matter. The radio is the community.
Speaker 4: Like if there was a tornado today, more people gonna find out that ain't got phones. What the fuck's going on on the radio? You know what I'm saying. In our community. Of course, now if you want these savvy tech people and you got you got a phone, you're gonna find a shit on your on your phone too. But if your phone happened to not be working the radio, to me, I feel like still speaks to our community.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Everybody ain't you know when you go into some of these hoods man ship there, I ain't got no computer, you know what I'm saying. Everybody, Some people no smartphone. People ain't got no phone, you know what I mean. And so that ship, that shit still matters to me, you know what I'm saying. Like, right down here, my mom had a trailer. We lived in a trailer right down here on the north side, right across the street. I just went to the to the corner store. I was like, damn man.
Speaker 1: When I was about four years old, I used to live right down there, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And it was a It was an old man at the at the gas station and he was like, hey, young blad.
Speaker 1: You know. Uh.
Speaker 4: He asked me could I could he get a dollar? When I went in the store, I didn't have no cash on when I came out gave some money. He said, hey, man, you know, if you ever uh, if you have over here, man, you need you need somebody to pump your gas.
Speaker 1: You know, I do it for you. Man, I love to do it for you.
Speaker 4: But what that meant to me, That meant that meant a lot to me because he could have just said thank you and that's that that.
Speaker 1: But he said, hey, man, I could do something for you for giving me this dollar.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 5: I don't want you to just give me a handout.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, man, like that's the kind of ship that still matters. And so what I realized what I do is I'm an interpreter. So when I write songs, my songs just don't be about my perspective, my my My songs be about me. And you may have a conversation about you know, your your you and your wife, bro. Or I might be telling you like, man, damn, but man, my son acting crazy. The motherfucker you got you gotta sign and we can and we can have dialogue about that. We can learn from man. Well, you know I did this with my son, and I taught him this way. I can learn something from that.
Speaker 1: And that's gonna help me. That's just that's that's that's how I write songs.
Speaker 4: The creativity, yeah man, and it's just it just helps us be you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And it translates your environment.
Speaker 4: It translates, it translates everything. You know, it helps you understand. That's why, you know, I would like to explain to young people who like to create and be creative writers, that's a talent that imagine. I mean, you can make not only can you make it, you could be the next. You can write, you can write TV shows.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I learned.
Speaker 4: I learned the process of how to write songs. Then then I got good at it. I wasn't always that good at it. I just had to learn how to ship worked. Once I realized how to work, then now now I'm thinking, hey, I.
Speaker 1: Can go write a movie.
Speaker 4: I knew I could write a movie when I was in your movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I was like, man, damn, I could write a movie. You know what I mean. There was an inspiration that was inspiring just your life.
Speaker 4: Like it's like like like I'm here because I want to be here, Like I wanted to do this show, you know what I mean? This show is important in our community and our culture, like we all are a part of this community. And the fact that y'all respect me enough to even allow me to be on your platform and tell my story.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you. You know, the s the big Shine.
Speaker 3: Get that ship fucked up, Big Facts, Big factspod dot com running.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, back and talking about the fact of the album.
Speaker 4: Man, we got to man, and you know, yeah, we just got you know, once I get started, ain't gonna stop.
Speaker 1: You know, it's just gonna be single after single after single. And you know, for.
Speaker 4: All the people out there, you know, back open for business.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying that hard drive, man, come on, you know.
Speaker 4: But yeah, man, I'm really inspired man about just this new generation of artists and because they really wanted That's what I really like about it. It's like they're hungry. They have seen some of the successes of what has came before them, man, and they inspired about it. They you know, that's what I love. I could see it, I feel it. I feel it from them. And you know the hard part sometimes is like you wanting to tell them, especially the artists, man, you'd be like, don't do that, just don't do that because and I know you gotta you gotta manager in your ear, or even the songwriting producers, because they'll, you know, someone be sitting me beats. They send me beats, They send me beats and be like, damn Sean, like you ain't fucking with none of them beats. And then that's another conversation I gotta have with him. It's like, because it's an intent, I'm not just writing those songs.
Speaker 1: We gotta be intent, Like if Chris Brown needs a record, we have to outdo every song that he's getting that has.
Speaker 4: A that's the intent. We can't just go do some do a fucking song. I don't do themse type of songs.
Speaker 7: Just because I'm I gotta come with that motherfucker when my prins play.
Speaker 1: Because I'm gonna get judged on a whole nother level of anybody being average.
Speaker 5: You're not regular.
Speaker 1: So that's what the shipper flood. Niggas go to see him lose, don't go to see you.
Speaker 4: They don't want to see me wear no more. Can answer your question. They tired of a nigga winning. To be honest, it's like, oh, he keeps talking about no So I've had people say, you know Sean's gonna tell you how many number ones it got.
Speaker 1: Apps A fucking look, right, and.
Speaker 5: The next time you see me, I should have another one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just had another one with you know, Shout out to Summer Walker. You know that we executive produced her last album. You know what I'm saying. Went through the roof. Y'all saw the billboard in New York City, you know what I mean. Shout out lvr N.
Speaker 1: You know. But I don't even talk about.
Speaker 5: I don't talk about the number two Amber.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Amber. Yeah, the whole crew over there.
Speaker 4: But now I don't talk about the number five's and the number tens and the eighteens.
Speaker 6: I was just.
Speaker 1: To you know what I mean, DJ playing love song.
Speaker 4: You know, I was just talking like girl the other day and she was like, you know, I do know she's like my favorite, my favorite.
Speaker 1: What's my man's name? Forgot his name? Get to another story. I will come back to that. I probably shouldn't mention him anyway.
Speaker 4: But for the part say that, but you know some of some some people don't know I did UH one twelve, ask no questions, PAPAA mean know Gina, you did that?
Speaker 1: Yep? Uh DJ player love song.
Speaker 4: I'm it'so a ton of songs that you know, we're like number two's and number five, so you know, I just love it. Man, some people don't know idea papers m hm uh married joblige, Yeah, married oblige.
Speaker 1: Enough crying, I've done enough crying at a lot of records.
Speaker 4: But it's a It's a beautiful thing, and I don't have nothing negative to say about none of the To even go back to the conversation about Dream or any of my other competitors when I'm on to feel I'm competing, you know, it's a sport to me, you know what I mean. So I'm definitely gonna talk my ship and I'm a stand on business, you know. But you know, shout out to hit Maker and the Dream and all the songwriters and producers because we all a community of greats working towards the same role, you know what I mean, and that is to show the world our talent and keep keep winning, you know what I'm saying, And pushing the narrative, pushing the culture. But I'm really happy about where music is. It's starting to feel real good again. Like I feel like I feel like R and B is on its way back in a real way. I feel like it's really great that the girls are really competing at a certain level. I think it's really great. The Kendrick and fight was amazing for hip hop.
Speaker 5: Brought some life back to it.
Speaker 1: It did you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It So look before we get out of here. It was one I know. It was one thing that I left off that I wanted to ask you.
Speaker 6: So, Okay, we know that you're from the West Side, and we know that your ato ho to the dead, but a lot of people might not realize or understand that when you were I want to say, maybe like around five or six, you moved to Europe and you lived in Europe. You migrated to Germany, and you know, you moved around throughout several other countries for years while you were over there. Do you think that that contributed to you being such a well rounded person?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Sean. I mean the fact that you think I'm well rounded. Yeah, I would take that. Yeah, it definitely.
Speaker 4: It definitely helped me to be able to communicate the thing.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing that I learned from growing.
Speaker 4: Abroad was just being able to communicate and realize that people are different and the moment that you realize people are different and how different they are, it helps you understand how to articulate in different settings, in different climates, right, And so just trying to be able to survive.
Speaker 1: In these different moments of opportunity.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: It's like when opportunities presented to you, a lot of times people fumble the ball, right, and then you got to go back.
Speaker 1: It's like training, you know what I'm saying. It's like you really got to train.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, those times that I had the chance to you know, speak different languages, speak you know, German and French and growing in England, signed my first record when I was fourteen. Yeah, when I came back to the States, I was I felt like I was really ready for the world because I had been tested, right, and I had to learn. It wasn't like I was talking to my peers in Europe. I was talking to people that didn't look like me, didn't speak like me, that didn't grow up with me, right, And so I.
Speaker 1: Kind of felt like an outsider when I came.
Speaker 4: I would come home quite a bit, and so yeah, that was you know, it's always looking at things like I looked at my bad what some people will consider bad I made those my good, my good attributes, right, So it's just like damn, you know, they would say when you're in Europe, you know, and we would always say, man, when are you going back to the.
Speaker 1: World, right, and and and going.
Speaker 4: Back to the world. Man, I wasn't always greeted with I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: I just I just wasn't. I think it's different when you don't grow.
Speaker 4: Up with someone you know, like Atlanta's like if you grew up with niggas, like you're going you're fucking with them for life, right. You went to high school with somebody you want, I member him. I've been going to school when it's elementary with him. So those relationships are solid, right, just like you know, if you like from New York, and it's like a lot of those people from New York they grew up together. So in the music business, when you enter the music business, you generally enter the music business from a from a camp or somebody you know, your crew or some way like that you know versus now, So it was it was, it was difficult. It was definitely difficult at times, but the experience of being out of the water kind of it really helped me survive because it didn't bother me as much, you know what I'm saying. It wasn't like it's like, damn, well, I ain't been here anyway, you know what I'm saying. So I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to figure out how to survive in this jungle or I'm gonna die, right, you know what I'm saying. And not to be negative about it, but that was some real ship. It's just like you're gonna swim. You're gonna sing a swim in this ship because they ain't about to make the shit easy for you, you know. And so I took I took that on as a positive. I didn't take that as a negative thing. I just said, hey man, I gotta keep down this damn door until they let me in, and to all the people that even though people may not have gotten the song or gotten me or took me the right way or loved me, it wasn't a negative thing. I don't want anybody to walk away thinking that, you know, I have this anger inside or this there's none of that. It's it's I always looked at it like I try to always stay centered and at peace with them myself, to never look at a person because I always look at it. Sometimes some people just don't know. So you know, everybody's not gonna know you at the same at the right time. Everybody ain't gonna learn you at the right time or the right pace. It's just you got to give it to God and allow God to you know, I always say, you know you really, yeah, you got to have order in your life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I just keep God first. I keep my family first.
Speaker 4: I keep my my heart first, and my heart and my passion first, and all of those rules, you know what I'm saying, like those foundational rules and tools that we all grew up on.
Speaker 1: I keep that shit first, you know. I mean, I don't let a dollar change that.
Speaker 4: You know, nobody's gonna convince me to do no shit that I know that I can end up, you know, putting my family in danger. You know what I'm saying, That shit ain't worth it, you know what I mean. I'm not taking. No, they can't give me one hundred thousand dollars to go work with somebody. I know I don't need to be working with that ain't That's not for me. But any advice I would give to anybody's wanting to do this. Try to learn as much about it as you can. And it ain't gonna take a long time. It's just you got to communicate with people. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Younger generation y'all could get online.
Speaker 4: You know you can, damn it, DM, anybody you can talk to, damn in anybody, you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, And it's really up to you. It was just up to me.
Speaker 4: I really wanted to be somebody outside of just average. And I never looked at myself as being average. I just but I never looked at myself as being anybody else either. I just wanted to be good at what I do, and I love my people, and I just give a fuck, you know.
Speaker 3: Sean Garrett on Big Facts Salute man a lot of gym's great conversation.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you, my brother.
Speaker 3: Check us out Triple W dot Big faxpod dot com, Salute Salute.
Speaker 2: Visit the new website today, Big factspod dot com