Speaker 1: Well, I invite, did you hear.
Speaker 2: Thought?
Speaker 3: I made myself perfectly clear. But you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests. Your presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey.
Speaker 4: Mean welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Bridgard Wineker. We're in the backyard. It's raining. It is raining. I don't know if you can hear that kind of dropping, dropping, dropping. I hope that the sound of rain is not as triggering for you as it is for me. I'm slowly kind of trying to re embrace the rain can sound nice now that my home isn't flooding. But what else is going on? I tried some jeans on in a bathroom stall last week. This is you know, thrift stores have gotten rid of their dressing rooms, and it's just unacceptable. I had to sneak my jeans into the men's restroom and try them on in a bathroom stall. Where are what's happening? Where are we not?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Is it saverers? But this is also happening at Goodwill all of these places. I want to shame them. Let me try my pants on in your business. I don't want to be in the bathroom. I'm just gonna have to start stealing them. Oh what am I talking about. Let's talk to the guest. I adore today's guest. It's Lily Sullivan. Hello, Lily, Welcome, Toya.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me. I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 4: I'm thrilled to have you here. And I don't know. I think it may be the rain. That's just you know, I feel like I brought an interesting energy.
Speaker 1: It's peaceful.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, it's starting to sound nice. This used to as of last like the last two weeks. I'm like, the rain can can not be getting everything wet?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I want the mood, but I don't want the logistics of its raining to go to the grocery store in the rain exactly, which I mean. I lived in Chicago for a long time and in Colorado and the weather's.
Speaker 2: Way worse, way worse, but I never really.
Speaker 1: Bitched about it. And then now I come here and I'm like, oh my god, rain.
Speaker 4: Because there the weather is consistently different. Yes, you know, you get to deal with all these things all the time. Yep, here we get two weeks of rain, a year and full panic.
Speaker 1: It's completely changed who I am. I'm a different person. Your family doesn't recognize they don't know me anymore.
Speaker 5: No, I don't even speak to them. Yeah, we can go back.
Speaker 2: You're from Colorado, I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I grew up in Chicago till I was ten, and then I moved to Colorado with my mom. To tell your ride.
Speaker 4: Colorado okay, yeah, and I love to hear you say Colorado instead of Colorado.
Speaker 5: Well you know that Chicago accent is still with me.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like people in Colorado say Colorado.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 4: Yes, We've talked about this on this podcast before. I just bring it up with people who are Colorado Colorado?
Speaker 1: Did you just say it like it's how?
Speaker 2: Did you just say I say Colorado.
Speaker 5: Because you're a Southwest person?
Speaker 2: Yes, and Colorado people say Colorado on at least you say Colorado right, Colorado.
Speaker 6: I literally never heard Colorado until I moved.
Speaker 1: To Colorado's Colorado was saying Colorado is insane.
Speaker 6: It's also ironic even like you think in Los Angeles, like people would know how to say rad right, like they'd be it'd be easy.
Speaker 4: For its culture bad and Nevada. People say, Nevada.
Speaker 1: No, that's insane, it's Nevada. Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: Medas you like, do.
Speaker 1: You like get taking places in a carriage? Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: We're talking about state with Reno.
Speaker 5: It's Nevada.
Speaker 2: It is Oh. I love to have my opinions confirmed on this podcast. That's why I bring people here.
Speaker 1: I love it too. I feel I feel safe now I'm amongst people say Nevada.
Speaker 2: Do you get back to Colorado often?
Speaker 1: I do? Yeah. I mean we started driving in the pandemic because we were just like you know, back when like there was like the fires were really bad here. For example, we were like, let's just get in the car and drive to my mom's house in Colorado, and it was like twelve hours straight. We got used to it, and now I'm like, oh, yeah, we just drive there. Sometimes it's insane.
Speaker 2: Twelve hours and you don't stay over night anymore.
Speaker 1: No, we just go straight through and my husband basically drives the whole way, which doesn't also make any sense.
Speaker 2: How many breaks? How many stops are you taking?
Speaker 1: That's hard. I think we were stopping. It's hard to say, like five times, But like, is.
Speaker 2: This physically possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we because we get up like at the crack of dawn, get in the car, and you get like a solid like four hours of just like driving straight there, and then your body's like I have to pee and eat and like what's going on? And then you pull over and then the rest of the time it's pretty normal.
Speaker 2: Is that first stop in Las Vegas?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that general area of rock here or No, we don't go through Vegas anyway. You can go through Vegas, but most of the time we go through a different route which is much less scenic and dark and depressing.
Speaker 2: Wait is this up the five where it's all down?
Speaker 5: I don't know because I don't drive.
Speaker 1: I just sit there and the Google Maps takes care of it and my husband drives, and I'm like, oh, I'm like playing podcasts.
Speaker 2: What are you too? You're listening to mostly podcasts on the way. No music.
Speaker 1: We know lots of music. We like to do like a DJ thing where we each go you can say what the next song is. That's very dentating, and so usually we get into like oh, we're playing throwbacks now, or we're you know, I'm like, this is what I used to listen to when I was like in sixth grade getting ready to go to school like that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Can you name what that song would be? I would love to know.
Speaker 5: Definitely Mariah Carey.
Speaker 2: Rainbow, Oh fantastic.
Speaker 1: And it was also j Lo's album that same era.
Speaker 2: And then Nelly Sure, sure Nelly? What happened to Nelly?
Speaker 5: What happened to Nelly?
Speaker 4: Where'd he go? I feel like he had a he was like the biggest rapper.
Speaker 1: I know, he was huge. I know all the words to every single one of his songs. Still haven't listened to him since, but it's that ingrained.
Speaker 4: He went off a cliff. Must have done something to really make people mad.
Speaker 1: You really must have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 4: I think he had like one year of superstardom yep, and then the band aid kind of did him in and then something happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I don't know, like was he canceled in some way or like industry canceled?
Speaker 2: Right, he pissed off the wrong person?
Speaker 1: This would make a good podcast, go into what happened in Nellie.
Speaker 2: Nelly? Reach Out? That's I know you are.
Speaker 4: Number one listener. Okay, well, what else has been going on? It's raining you're wearing denim.
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I'm in Canadian taxedo looks great, Thank you. I don't know when I started doing this, but now I can't stop.
Speaker 4: I feel like everyone at some point kind of just shifts into wearing all denim and then it's just like it's part of the wardrobe.
Speaker 1: It's kind of I was thinking about this, actually it you know, it's kind of I'm seeing more and more Canadian taxedos again. But like five years ago people were wearing them all the time, and then like five years before that, it's like a five years things.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a really quick fashion cycle, isn't it. I guess it's because their denim is always a different shape, and we're just you know, shifting our tone tuxedo into the new shape. Yeah, we're all jay Leno in the end.
Speaker 5: Also, I feel you about the whole thrift story thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's tragic. We talk about this for a minute.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely tragic.
Speaker 4: I don't understand. Well, I actually know what's going on because I looked into it. They say they don't want to pay security. They're afraid that people are shoplifting from the dress.
Speaker 2: Come on, that's not stopping me from shoplifting.
Speaker 1: They're throwing half that stuff in the trash. Anyway, it's all free. Yeah what what?
Speaker 2: Just do whatever?
Speaker 1: I and also like, these are some of the poorest people who shop there regularly. Let them have some free stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't understand what we're even talking about.
Speaker 1: That makes me mad.
Speaker 4: It makes absolutely no sense. And the fact that I was able to just kind of take the jeans into the dressing room is like, well, I could have stolen them right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly what are we talking You want me to steal?
Speaker 1: Steal?
Speaker 4: I will steal right in front of an employee, bring them up to me, and I will walk out of the store with.
Speaker 2: My new jeans. Don't make me so, I'm just not buying anything anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I go there and I kind of browse and think, well, what a world if we would be living in if I could try this all. Yes, but I don't feel like there's any coming back from much.
Speaker 1: No, I feel like you have to. It's either you go wearing like all spand X and you are going to dress yourself in front of everybody.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea.
Speaker 1: Well that's what I do.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 5: Like vintage fairs, you.
Speaker 2: Just go and lycra Yeah. Oh yeah, that's really not a bad idea. I'm going to invest in some sort of kind of form fitting.
Speaker 5: Out one's of some kind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of a leotard just wandering around Goodwill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, perfect done.
Speaker 4: That's really smart. Okay, well that kind of solves my problem.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. It doesn't though, because like sometimes you really want to know what it looks like without the bunch of spand X underneath, like the gans or the pants or that.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't feel like they have mirrors. No, no, never a mirror, right, you have to.
Speaker 4: Find like a used mirror that you would be able to purchase there exactly. That reminds me of during the pandemic when all of the stores removed mirrors.
Speaker 2: Do you remember this? No? Why what so?
Speaker 5: I I remember that?
Speaker 2: Why would they do that?
Speaker 4: I think they took them out to keep people from dawdling, you know, they didn't want people, you know, close in.
Speaker 2: Front of the mirror.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people were doing that too much.
Speaker 2: Just admiring themselves in mirrors at the tarket.
Speaker 1: What the most humiliating thing is when you're like in a coffee shop and you know that the window is very reflective and you see people walking by and checking themselves out. Oh, it's absolutely devastating because it's like it's people.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't you know, literally every person, every person, they've got to take a peek.
Speaker 1: They can't not.
Speaker 5: And I do it too, And I'm like, oh god, the people inside saw me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure we all do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: It was probably one of the very early behaviors of you know, early human civilization, looking in mirrors and admiring. Right, that was one of our first that's doesn't have to survive and evolve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what separates us from the rest of the animal condemn our vanity. I mean, I feel like, I look. It's interesting because you can't tell what you fully look like. Ever, no matter how much you look in the mirror, the photos you have of yourself.
Speaker 2: The lighting is always different.
Speaker 1: Especially as you get older.
Speaker 2: What what does happen to any of us? Then the mirrors are always different.
Speaker 4: Somebody bashed out the windows of my favorite coffee shop and found coffee. No, maybe they were mad about seeing themselves.
Speaker 2: In the They freaked out.
Speaker 5: They're like, this can't be right.
Speaker 2: I'll take care of this.
Speaker 5: I'll smash this to smithereens.
Speaker 2: Where are you going to coffee in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, so we live pretty close to all time on Hillhurst.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, and unfortunately we are there all the time. It's a good place. It's far too much money, way too much money. I don't know what they're thinking.
Speaker 1: Like somebody said, and I stand by this, they were like, how do we get that breakfast burrito over twenty dollars?
Speaker 5: Because I think at this point it might be over twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: I think it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's outrageous.
Speaker 2: The whole place feels like a social experiment. To me.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: I mean when I order a cold brew there, I'm served three ounces of liquid and I think this is like performance art.
Speaker 5: Or something like thirty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it is good. I'll give that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is good, but it's very good. But it's it's insane. Yeah, and it's also very seamy.
Speaker 4: It's extreme. I mean the scene is over the top. I will say I saw Oscar Isaac there. Wow, that was exciting.
Speaker 5: That's big. That's a big one.
Speaker 4: Or a man who looked like Oscar Isaac. It's always hard to.
Speaker 5: Say, can say you never know an als.
Speaker 4: I never know in Los Angeles. My rule is just assume it was the person.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: No, that's a good call.
Speaker 2: Give yourself that win.
Speaker 1: You deserve it. You deserve to see that person. I mean, I feel like I've seen some of the most famous people I've seen in LA there, But like.
Speaker 2: Can you name any.
Speaker 1: I think I saw? Well, now I'm getting confused because I'm thinking about this restaurant I worked out where I did see maybe more like I served Margot Robbie want that's exciting. I served Pharrell?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, these are big stars.
Speaker 5: Yeah they are. And the place was terrible.
Speaker 2: Well, can you say what place it was?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: The food is good, but there was a lot. I'm actually this is very cathartic. I get to talk about this on the podcast now. I have for years been like, I don't want to bash the place. There are a lot of people I like who still work there. But it's been long enough that I'm like, Jesus, I can say whatever I want.
Speaker 2: Now you're absolutely free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people found One time I served a salad to someone and they found a screw in it.
Speaker 2: How does a screw get into a cell?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was like, I need to figure this out because that's insane. So I went back to all these the chefs. I was like, what, how in the world did this happen? And we figured out that it was because it was like there was a mandolin that they were it was like a shaved vegetable salad.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I forget that mandolin can also be cooking.
Speaker 1: They were.
Speaker 5: No, they were all playing instruments. Did you think it was like the.
Speaker 2: Racket in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like about a nine piece band back there. No that they So the reason that the screw came off was because it fell off the mandolin into the salad. And then I went back to the table and I was like, you guys, I figured it out. The screw was from the mandolin. Like it's all good.
Speaker 2: Were they furious?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I was expecting them to be like, oh, yeah, all.
Speaker 5: Good, and of course they were like, no, they're horrified.
Speaker 4: I mean that is see if I had found the screw in my salad, I would have swallowed it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The lawsuit, I mean, the endless possibilities.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about it, like I'm so like Midwest and like like self deprecating. I would be like, I'm just gonna eat it. I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I'll just I'll eat the screw'd we loved it?
Speaker 2: Wow, a screw I've never heard of that. I've heard of like.
Speaker 1: Bugs, yeah, oh yeah, that happened too often, like.
Speaker 2: A grasshopper or a cricket.
Speaker 1: Oh god. In this case, it was a fly.
Speaker 2: Fly that I'm thinking about. Okay, I don't like it, but a fly makes a little bit more sense.
Speaker 4: The grasshopper is like it got there at the farms. It's like I'm going to the big city.
Speaker 5: It's been there for a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's dreams of working at what's the salad place called Sweet Green. I'm going to go be a line chef at Sweet Grain. And then it dies in root and someone.
Speaker 1: Finds grasshopper had big dreams Megan Nan in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: And now Farrell's chewing on it.
Speaker 5: Honestly, that must be the dream for a grasshopper.
Speaker 2: To be eaten by Forrell. Yeah, that's my dream.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same, same, Yeah.
Speaker 2: All time does have a little bit of a scene, very very seeing.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of celebrities that i've assumed I've seen in Los Angeles. I feel like I've assumed I've seen the Queen of England, Howard. But this is basically I've seen an old woman and someone with a perm that's uh. Those are like the two standouts for me.
Speaker 5: There's certainly, I mean that's really big.
Speaker 2: Two of the most famous people alive and dead. Rip. You saw the ghost right, she was in my bedroom last night.
Speaker 5: He must be dead too at this point.
Speaker 2: How he died, I mean now he's probably oh God, now he's going to die and.
Speaker 1: Cops.
Speaker 2: R I P. Howard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just to cover our bases, r I P.
Speaker 1: Howard.
Speaker 4: Howard Sern is the one person alive that I feel like we can talk about in this way and he would be okay.
Speaker 1: I think, and Honor is not.
Speaker 2: Dead now, but if he is dead, we love it.
Speaker 1: We love it.
Speaker 4: There's no winning in this situation, so we just have to cover every single base possible.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's good, unless he like went out in a bad way, you know, in.
Speaker 1: Which case we are not affiliated with him.
Speaker 2: We do not that terrorists secret terror as Howard Stern.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we covered it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, as much as I'd like to talk about Howard Stern living or dying, or being a terrorist, or some other possibility. There's something else I'd like to talk to you about. Oh yeah, no, Look, I.
Speaker 4: Was really happy to have you here today. I was really excited to have Lily come.
Speaker 2: To the podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was excited too.
Speaker 4: The rain kind of was soothing me. I'll say it was beginning to soothe me. That's it's a sound I can listen to in a soothing way now. And so I was a little surprised when here you come holding your umbrella.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, and something else right the podcast is called I said no gifts.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I don't have to tell you that.
Speaker 1: I know. I and I remember I got the email and it said no gifts and everything. I just I really I couldn't help myself. I really could not help myself this time.
Speaker 2: How was that a defense in any way? I couldn't help myself.
Speaker 5: I just I really like adore.
Speaker 2: You, okay, okay, and turning around myself.
Speaker 1: I wanted I had to give you something. The universe compelled me.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a perfect excuse.
Speaker 1: Then, Oh good, that's all it took.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 4: I just need somebody to say something nice to me once in a while.
Speaker 1: You know what you need to do with compliments. You just ask for them. This is something I've learned. And I straight up will be like to my husband and I'll be like, I need a compliment right now, or I need like three compliments.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good, So you give it. You just say compliment, and so it can be. Then when he gives it to you, it's his own thinking, yes.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but and it better be. But sometimes it'll be like your hair.
Speaker 5: Is brown and I'm like.
Speaker 2: No, no, state.
Speaker 1: Of fact exactly. That's doesn't work. That's doesn't work.
Speaker 4: I don't need you to state effect at make Yeah. Okay, Well we have this gift here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you want to open it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in kind of a it's in like a canvas tote with cactuses cacti.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I think this was a gift to me. You're welcome to keep.
Speaker 2: I'm not keeping that.
Speaker 1: I feel like you want to. It's so I have.
Speaker 4: Enough tots in my life. I've got enough canvas bags. I'm not taking your beautiful no more.
Speaker 5: So my gift is I'm not going to give you this, but I.
Speaker 2: Am what is happening.
Speaker 5: I'm going to try your portrait.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is incredible. Lily has taken out a giant like pad pad of paper, but it's like leather bound.
Speaker 5: It's fancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the biggest moleskin that was ever made. It's like a gag moleskin, like those clown sunglass version of a moleskin.
Speaker 5: I got it at a joke shop, an expensive one.
Speaker 2: It's a really classy gag store.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. It's everything's a million dollars. You'd love it. It's next to All Time.
Speaker 2: They started to ext.
Speaker 4: All the Time is owned by two clowns, very expensive clowns. So everything is farm fresh.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna draw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's one more catch what I'm gonna drive you. But I'm not gonna look down at at what I'm drying because I feel like that would just it would be too.
Speaker 2: Vulnerable, to be extremely vulnerable for both of us, for both of us.
Speaker 4: It's a on Alise, would you mind doing a recording this as a video as well, just in case?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Please? Oh the mic there's a lot hand.
Speaker 4: So we'll set this up in some way over there. There will be some at least a clip of this happening.
Speaker 2: This is a huge project, and I don't want you to.
Speaker 4: Okay, I can't look. There would be a decent amount of bias there.
Speaker 5: And then do you want anything?
Speaker 1: You want anything?
Speaker 5: Fun?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see, app I would love to be for me to be climbing a tree. Climbing a tree possible, I can put you in a tree. You can put in a tree. I'll settle for that.
Speaker 1: Climbing a tree. It sounds really hard.
Speaker 2: What level of art skill do you have?
Speaker 1: Okay, I am first, I'm gonna start drawing, so I'm now me talking is going to.
Speaker 2: Be completely I do want to explain to the listener right now, Lily is is very meaningful eye contact with me in a way that's it's disarming. Yeah, she's looking at me like, well, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because now I'm starting, I'm starting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't and she has to look at me and I have to look at her, and so we're both it's.
Speaker 5: Vulnerable looking at you though.
Speaker 2: I'm just also not looking at the art.
Speaker 1: And I think also you should know that tree is just going to be in the background at this one, because I think it's too big. Whenever I'm drying.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can't. I can't look. I can't look. So you're drawing the tree right now?
Speaker 1: Well, now I'm doing your face first. You thought I was doing a tree.
Speaker 4: So from the glimpse that I got, I cannot wait to see how the sturns into my face.
Speaker 5: I gotta get your teeth now.
Speaker 4: Okay, she's looking at my teeth, she's I'm looking. I'm trying to give you my there. I'm trying to talk to you, but also remain still.
Speaker 1: I'm going to do the leaves of the tree.
Speaker 2: And she's also only using one color, so this is going to be you know, I'm going back in doing the lines right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just doing the outline.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a So she's using a brown marker.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna hit you with the orange now.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got to get some orange in there. Thank you. I appreciate kind of being true to who I am and my hair color.
Speaker 1: I would be doing if I had like all the colors in the world, I would be doing, like you know, more browns and more.
Speaker 5: Ron in my hair too. Okay, just to really emphasize.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to take my shirt off? What's next?
Speaker 1: This is a good.
Speaker 4: I just see like from you know, just the corner of my icy blur is happening on the page.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna look really good. Also, you have very beautiful blue eyes. If you don't mind me saying.
Speaker 2: Keep bringing the cops.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The eyes are happening.
Speaker 5: Now I'm doing your jacket like this similar.
Speaker 2: The jacket is kind of a bluish. So that's happening.
Speaker 1: That's good, and we're almost done. By the way, I don't landing.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're getting the jacket in the correct place, I hope. So yeah, what I can tell by not looking at.
Speaker 1: I want the viewer to know I haven't looked down. If people are not even a.
Speaker 4: Moment and I've kind of cheated, I've looked, I could at least kind of see it because I'm in a better position.
Speaker 1: I'm doing what your what your shirt says right now.
Speaker 2: Oh wonderful, it's like a five year old. This is going to be a perfect drawing.
Speaker 1: Okay, now it's some greenery the tree.
Speaker 2: There's some plants back here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could get some pinks also with the.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I forgot that. I requested that. I'm climbing a tree.
Speaker 1: But you're not climbing long. It's literally I'm just drawing the background that you have behind you.
Speaker 2: And then there's only so much you can do.
Speaker 1: Give a little color to your face, just a little yellow.
Speaker 4: Okay, kind of a classic skin.
Speaker 2: Tone, and I think that about wraps it up. Okay, So are you ready? Are we ready for it to be presented? Okay, present it to the camera first, and then I'll see it. Oh wow, big reveal. It's okay, let me take it life. Oh my, this is actually way better than I expected. This is a beautiful piece of art.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: This is really I mean, but it could sell in New York for and it will.
Speaker 1: New York for one hundred.
Speaker 4: Mil fifty million dollars. If you want this piece of art, we must have one listener who's a billionaire.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Absolutely reach out, Nelly. If you're listening a billionaire, please, I'm gonna gonna give it to you.
Speaker 2: This is a stunning piece of art. What gave you this idea?
Speaker 1: Well, this is a very fun party game that I like to play. Where I mean, obviously, you have to have the right type of people that are all hanging out right but you kind of just like turn to the person to your right and you all have to draw that person and you can't look down and everybody's looks absolutely messed up.
Speaker 4: And these are such a great idea. Have you been doing this at parties forever or a yeah.
Speaker 1: Like for a very I mean on and off for my entire life. I feel like because I don't remember when it started, and it's sometimes it'll just come over me and I'll be like, you, guys, you know what we should do. Unfortunately, I think I sometimes have a little bit of that energy that's like, let's play a game and everyone's like no, And I don't like.
Speaker 5: That about myself, but sometimes it clicks in.
Speaker 4: But I feel like at a party, no one can have a complaint about that, and.
Speaker 1: I try to be very respectful. When it's like, well, clearly it's not the vibe, these aren't the people, then I'd like, okay, we're going to I'm not going to force anything.
Speaker 4: Right, right, And so when you bring this up at a party, you run into the other room and bring this notebook out.
Speaker 5: That's I'm depressing. No, I'm not a fucking dork.
Speaker 1: No, it would be like, oh, do you have any paper that pends. This is rare that I get to use this many colors.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean you used at least four colors here?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, don't forget the yellow for this game.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I didn't even see that gorgeous yellow. What is the note book?
Speaker 2: Four? Is it for this?
Speaker 1: I do like to do art on occasion. I feel like I'm like a I'd say, eighth grade level artists.
Speaker 2: Pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: I'm if I was in eighth grade ever, and I was doing what I can do, everyone be like, Wow, she's really gifted. Oh I love you need to like send her to Risdy or something.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: In uh, elementary and middle school, you always have a friend who's pretty good at drawing.
Speaker 5: Pretty good, that's what I had.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, not great, Not like you see something I do and you're like, wow, well.
Speaker 2: I mean other than this, other than this, this piece of il art, this is one of the I mean, it's very interesting. You could. I'm going to I will have to frame up. You know, it would look good blown up, blown up.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and get in a.
Speaker 5: Blanket like we're talking.
Speaker 1: We're talking six.
Speaker 2: By ten on the side of a building.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, billboard billboards all over the city.
Speaker 4: I said, no guests, billionaire listener reach out. Yeah, okay, So you do occasionally do art?
Speaker 1: I do, And so I think my husband got this for me over the pandemic. This nice beautiful pad as like a gift to like, keep keep doing art kind of thing. And then, as you can say, I have not used it a single time, not once except for today.
Speaker 2: What kind of art do you usually do?
Speaker 1: I'm well, I do like I like all sorts of art projects, like I like a craft project kind of, but I also like to paint, okay, And I feel like I there's a lot of like energy in me, Like once I get going on working on something, I could be doing it for hours.
Speaker 2: Oh right.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't happened for me very often because I don't build it into my life. It would be very healthy for me too, and I probably should because right now I've got all my eggs in one basket with this whole comedy thing, and.
Speaker 2: We're all kind of feeding downhill and the industry is shutting the lights off. Yeah. Literally, we're all going to dental school soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so maybe this is my backup this.
Speaker 2: I mean, at least you've got a backup. What do you got nothing?
Speaker 5: No other skills?
Speaker 2: Uh? Die?
Speaker 5: What do you mean by that? Dying clothing or no physically.
Speaker 2: Die buried like Howard Stern.
Speaker 5: I could do that too.
Speaker 2: Everybody can die. Well. I went to school for it, so okay.
Speaker 4: So eighth grade, did you, like, were you in art class and you gave up at that point?
Speaker 1: I was no. I think I did art all through high school, but I just like never really like started to super excel at it enough. And the plus I like found theater and it was like I like it more right, But I think I always was like, oh, but you know, I'm like pretty good at that. And then then more recently I was like, actually, like I think in college I took a class and I was like, in comparison to everyone else, I was in the class of actually not that good at all, Like, what are you doing? He was singing? I had? That was singing.
Speaker 4: I fortunately have never had the confidence to try singing around other people.
Speaker 1: I bet you have a beautiful voice.
Speaker 2: I certainly don't gid.
Speaker 1: You want to share a song.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday to you.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I I in high school again because I grew up in tell your ride so it's twenty twenty five hundred people, so it really didn't like your small sense of self and confidence. You you think you are the biggest fish.
Speaker 2: Right, of course, everybody's the biggest fish of something.
Speaker 1: And tell your ride absolutely, I thought I was Monet mayonnee Plicassa. And then but with singing, similarly, I like sang in a choir. I was in an a cappella group, so embarrassing. And then I got to college and was like, oh no, you're actually really not that good. You can carry a tune.
Speaker 2: The people and tell your ride were very patient with you.
Speaker 5: They were they were very understanding and encouraging.
Speaker 2: The acapella group, What sort of songs were you singing?
Speaker 1: Oh god, it was a little bit like it wasn't very cheesy. It was more like folky, you sick weirdly enough because of this director that we had, but the I definitely had to sing a lot of like weird church songs.
Speaker 5: I'm not religious at all, uh huh, So I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I didn't bringing the church song.
Speaker 1: It was like the place where we would all sing was like usually in churches. So then they felt like they needed to have some religious songs. And then it would be a mix of like you know, some some folk.
Speaker 2: I don't know, have you done a cappella since?
Speaker 1: No? But should we start? I think we should we start a group?
Speaker 2: Boom boom.
Speaker 5: Yeah you start with that and I'll hit you with a.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 2: That's the one. That's the one.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's like half a second when society was like Acapella is kind of okay, yes, But then as soon as that was over, people where we were like what what was happening?
Speaker 1: I mean, I see the clips of Glee online even that's like that's peak TV, Like, oh yeah, everyone was obsessed. It's the most embarrassing should have ever seen. Amazing.
Speaker 4: It's just even people in Acapella know we're doing something bad here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all the ones where they have like everyone has an incredible voice. Clearly everyone is doing their absolute best of like what that can be? And I'm like, this is not for me. It's so cheesy. It makes me sick.
Speaker 4: Well, everyone in an a cappella choir, every single person is begging the universe to notice them and pull them out. That's not singer, and get me out of here, because no one really wants to be there exactly.
Speaker 2: Listen to this bird. It wants to be part of our acapella choir.
Speaker 1: Talk about main character. Energy's so embarrassing. This bird is absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think we do a three person acapella choir. It's you, me and a bird.
Speaker 5: I agree?
Speaker 1: Where do we?
Speaker 5: Where do we go?
Speaker 2: Where we? Where do we go? From? Here?
Speaker 1: Time?
Speaker 4: All time? Between all time and their new gag shop. There's this beautiful sound coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you were an acapella I didn't do in middle school. We got to choose between drawing or singing or singing or art and singing, and so I went the art route.
Speaker 5: So are you good?
Speaker 2: No, I'm good. I'm a very good doodler.
Speaker 1: But what are we doodling?
Speaker 2: What's the little cartoons and this sort of thing, little faces? But when I actually try, I'm like, okay, now it's time to get out a piece of paper and draw one thing. Yeah, it's like, oh, I don't have any control over this exactly, But the little cartoons.
Speaker 4: When I'm at work or whatever and we're just like at the table, I can draw decent little things, little witches, this kind of thing, witches, witches, whatever's on.
Speaker 1: The Halloween stuff I would say kind.
Speaker 4: Of seasonal, so you know, during the fall season, I'll be drawing a lot of witches or vampires. Oh, I love that, and then that'll shift, I haven't. You know, when was the last time I was in a physical workplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been a while for me.
Speaker 5: Ten years are rare.
Speaker 2: Mine was I think the last was.
Speaker 4: Oh, there were like six weeks that I was in a workplace a couple of summers ago.
Speaker 2: But usually it's over zoom. So I'm not doodling on zoom.
Speaker 1: No you can't.
Speaker 2: I'm browsing the web, I'm online shopping.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at porn.
Speaker 1: I'm not watching very loud.
Speaker 2: No one on the zoom can hear anything.
Speaker 1: I'm just doing what you do on zoom. Come on, people. Yeah, I mean, I'm I'm similar in I doodle a lot I'll do. I think it's very like therapeutic, like you know, you're.
Speaker 2: You're releasing some like anxious energy. I think through your.
Speaker 1: Hands, absolutely and better than that, or like and like staring at your phone as much worse. Oh yeah, of course, so healthier too, doodle. But I yeah, I don't really find myself doing it unless I'm like on hold like, oh, I.
Speaker 4: Love being on hold and drawing, but that's less and less. Yeah, but I remember with phone books you would you could be on hold and drawing.
Speaker 1: On those on the phone book. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh I love a phone book doodle because it's got that extra pressure.
Speaker 2: You can really push down on it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, very satisfying paper.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, do they I wonder I feel like we've finally stopped making phone books.
Speaker 2: It must be right, it was, I mean up until about five years ago, I think they were still making them and dropping them on all of our porches, Like.
Speaker 1: Where do they even live?
Speaker 2: It was making?
Speaker 1: Because that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Who was the company that's the I guess Yellow Pages.
Speaker 5: I hope their family is doing okay.
Speaker 2: They are, They're in some desperate times.
Speaker 1: If you're listening, feel free to reach out.
Speaker 5: We are thinking of you.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never really thought about the company behind it because it felt like such a public service.
Speaker 5: The last name is definitely Pages, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was certainly pages, mister yellow I mean yellow Page, Yes.
Speaker 1: Yellow Pages, it's a compound name.
Speaker 2: And then the white Pages family, White Pages.
Speaker 1: And then there was the same ring to it.
Speaker 4: It certainly doesn't. And then there was the combo phone book, Yes, it was both. Was the combo like a lesser version of each?
Speaker 1: Couldn't tell you? I don't. I don't think I really even. The other thing is because tell your ide growing up, they're so small and every phone books, no phone books, no need.
Speaker 2: Oh an, what an eerie fact about.
Speaker 1: Everybody only knew the last four digits of you just need to know the last four digits of the phone number. So I would be like, I'm O seven to one to three, right, and then everyone know it was nice seven oh seven, two.
Speaker 2: Eights oh right? Right?
Speaker 1: The prefix you don't need all those other numbers, of course not no are code No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like there was a period of time when you didn't need an area code.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well maybe a two five four that was my prefix? Yeah, which is also Highland Park. Is it very full circle?
Speaker 5: Whoa, that's why you didn't need to change your phone number at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just kept my mom's phone number, my mom's landlord.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 2: Wait, where in Utah did you grab South Jordan?
Speaker 1: Utah?
Speaker 4: That's a two five to four And then I think there they added another prefix at some point, but I can't remember. Maybe a two five five or wonder what that would be. But I remember that being like, oh, things are happening in this town. Yep, we've got a we've got two prefixes to remember.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's really expanding big time. You Also, similarly, in Chicago, your area code is very telling. I was always seven seven three, but then when I started working at this one company, I had to get a three one two number, and I was like, ew oh, I don't I'm not a three one two gal.
Speaker 4: Now area codes mean nothing. Yeah, I mean everyone in LA has a different area.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what anyone's phone number is. Oh, so there's like one second where they put their phone number in my phone and then I never look at it again.
Speaker 2: Do you know Tim's your husband's Well, this is.
Speaker 1: I think I finally committed it to memory, like last year. We've been down for like seven years. Same with his birthday. Weirdly enough, twov So he's like, do you know when it is? I'm like, yeah, I know, I know, and then I always like check my mind to like triple check that I've got it right. Hard numbers are hard.
Speaker 2: Um.
Speaker 4: Basically, the only reason I memorized my boyfriend's was I needed it for the Ralph's uh card at the grocery store.
Speaker 2: To get your discounts or I guess movie.
Speaker 4: Vallons or pavilions or something. Yeah, I thought I started saying it's because I love you. Initially it was the grocery discount.
Speaker 1: Does it actually like really work those? Like I always feel like the phone number thing at the grocery stores like.
Speaker 2: Bullshit, like, oh it worked?
Speaker 1: It does?
Speaker 2: I mean? I have no evidence.
Speaker 1: I'm always like, yeah, they entered my wonder just like track me and I'm coming back to like get my protein waffles.
Speaker 2: Protein waffles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my friend turned me on to them.
Speaker 2: Ww does that work?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's probably make believe.
Speaker 1: Is it like an egg It's like an eggo, but it's like, actually it's made.
Speaker 2: In Utah, it's made in the kind that I've been getting. Okay, tell me more about this.
Speaker 1: I think it's called Kodiac.
Speaker 2: Kodiac.
Speaker 1: This is I mean, this is me trying to convince myself something's healthy when it's absolutely not healthy. But it's like a whole wheat, right protein quote unquote, it's frozen, it's frozen.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I've been eating them lately like a little.
Speaker 2: I might get some little rabbit. What do you put on them? You know?
Speaker 1: Sometimes that I'll do like an almond butter if I'm trying to be like, you know, go get them right. And then other days when I'm like, you know, it's kind of a lax day, I put some syrup on there.
Speaker 2: Oh, delicious, little bit.
Speaker 4: I would love to get some protein waffles I have. I haven't had like a toaster waffle in years. It's great, you put it in your toast. Oh yeah, this sounds incredible.
Speaker 1: Some of them are a little too thick, though, I gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: You get the same brand. They're not consistent.
Speaker 1: They have different they each each type you're getting, it's consistent in the box.
Speaker 2: Don't different protein waffles? Is this company too many?
Speaker 1: And the kind I like cells.
Speaker 2: Out like, what are the other types?
Speaker 1: Well, they've got a blueberry kind shape, but then they also have different levels of thickness, so they have like a really fat kind, and then they have like one that looks more like an ego.
Speaker 4: If they went on Shark Tank, the sharks would be like, you've got too many skews.
Speaker 2: I agree, you're going to fail. You need one.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised you don't know about them.
Speaker 5: It's Utah Company.
Speaker 2: I think it's not a Kodiak. I feel like Kodiak is such a weird word.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: There's like a Kodiak bear, isn't there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: There is. I feel like they make like a pancake mix and stuff. I remember it is that yeah company? There are they?
Speaker 5: Are they good? Are they healthy?
Speaker 2: Kodiak? I'm going to say they're a good company.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're probably owned by some like massive conglomerates.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, whatever's the devil. It's the devil owns the company.
Speaker 1: But you know what I was going to say, speaking of Utah. My favorite place in Utah Colorado City.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean Colorado City, Colorado City, I mean, why tell me what.
Speaker 1: Well, so we have family who lives in Hurricane.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't even heard of this.
Speaker 1: Well it's I mean it's spelled hurricane, but apparently everyone says hurricane.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I feel like such a phony because I would say hurricane.
Speaker 1: Well, that makes me feel better because I think I said it on one other podcast since people were like, it's actually hurricane and I was like, yeah, I know that's how my family said it.
Speaker 4: But that's it' that's a hard thing to say, knowing how to when you know how to say hurricane hurricane, hurricane hurricane Okay, so you have Okay.
Speaker 1: So anyway, that's like probably twenty minutes from Colorado City, like really not that far right, all near like Zion National Park. Yes, So when we would drive sometimes from LA we would go and we'd stay in Hurricane okay, and then we drive past Colorado City on the way to Colorado. Oh boy, and I I mean I would always ask my this is my stepdad's family, like all about the fundamentalists Mormon. It's like one of the biggest minimalist Mormon communities that.
Speaker 2: Exists, right.
Speaker 4: I think it's yf Z is the name of the I think it's like Yearning for Zion or something.
Speaker 2: Wow, the name of it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's fascinating because it looks like a ghost town.
Speaker 2: Right because they don't they their buildings.
Speaker 1: The tax break. Yeah, they don't finish the buildings and they get the tax break, and so all the buildings are like boarded up, uh huh. And then that's where all the women and children are I think are inside, and then you can only see men kind of if you see anyone at all. You see men, And I've heard from my stepdad and his dad that they've at times like driven through to go up like a hike up there, and.
Speaker 2: They get followed by like black suburbans. Yeah, well we're probably rickety old truckucks.
Speaker 1: That's where. That's more than vibe.
Speaker 2: I want to go there.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it truly is like one of the darkest places you can imagine. I just picture resident Evil or something.
Speaker 1: It has a real vibe.
Speaker 2: But you've been through it or pasted it.
Speaker 1: Well, I made I made my husband stop because I was like, oh my god, this is it.
Speaker 2: I want to join. Yeah, let me off here.
Speaker 1: Get me out the big city New York. But I I was like, yeah, like I just wanted to drive around it because I read Under the Banner of Heaven and they talk a lot about uh about Colorado City and that and then yeah, I mean I was just looking for people or like any signs of life, and there's none. Even though they're all in.
Speaker 2: There, you saw no people whatsoever. No people. That is wild.
Speaker 1: But now every time we drive by, of course I'm like fully like erect looking out the window.
Speaker 2: Like absolutely no Harny is Wow.
Speaker 4: I would really love to visit that at some point, Yeah, because I mean it is the worst of the polygamist cults. The leader is now in prison, Yeah, Warren.
Speaker 2: Jeff's oh you know his name and everything.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, terrible person, kind of a Voldemort type. He was caught in I think Las Vegas or something years ago. He was like in the FBI top ten or something.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, top head, top ten.
Speaker 4: He made it good for hid ten under ten. No he got He's now like running the thing from prison. I think then I have a story to tell you about all of this. I may have told this on this podcast before, But in college I had a math professor named Teresa. It was a little I mean, she was a good professor, but.
Speaker 2: Like there was something off, okay, not quite right with Teresa, you can tell. And she would occasionally like talk about or mention her personal life in waysury like that doesn't sound like a normal person's personal life. That's living situation, doesn't quite click. Things weird, But a great math professor for my very low level math class. I moved on.
Speaker 4: I moved to LA and I started watching this documentary series called Polygamy USA. Which is about a polygamoist group that is a splinter from the one we're currently talking about. This one is not as illegal. There's not as many dark things happening in this one. Okay, it's just people getting married to a lot of women and being kind of weird.
Speaker 1: They're not marrying like like their wives.
Speaker 2: There were like no children, none of that horrible stuff as far as I can tell, just polygamy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was just kind of strange people. But I was watching it, loving it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I want to watch it.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: It was like one thirty in the morning one night, and suddenly Teresa is being interviewed. My math professor is part of this group of people. No spoken. I think she might be kind of an advocate for whatever that is. And no polygamous listeners. My apologies.
Speaker 5: I know there are a lot of you.
Speaker 4: There's so many of them, oh my god. And so of course I was suddenly taking screenshots.
Speaker 1: Galore all your high school friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean everyone needed to know. But of course it mattered nothing to anyone.
Speaker 1: Because that come on, No, if they didn't give you a reaction, I'm going to kill them. People.
Speaker 2: People have been excited. I hope they were for my sake.
Speaker 4: I think so, but I'm sure most people were like, why are you just posting pictures of this very plain woman. I'll have to post some pictures of her soon.
Speaker 5: I mean that's fascinating, though.
Speaker 1: Did she have did she dress the way that they dressed with, like the long floral addresses.
Speaker 4: Right when she was teaching, so many braids, all the braids and the waves the hair.
Speaker 1: The huge bangs and the braids.
Speaker 2: They look great. They've got they've committed to a look.
Speaker 1: I mean, at this point, I bet you i'd see some girl in Brooklyn wearing and looking.
Speaker 4: Guaranteed if you the polygamist look, if you were walking around Highland Park, people would be into it.
Speaker 5: They would be like, wow, she is so she's a billionaire.
Speaker 4: Really, when she taught, she would just wear long skirts and you know, kind of just not the script clothes, but not like the prairie dress.
Speaker 2: Okay, she should have because I'm very popular.
Speaker 1: I mean I would have eaten it up when I go. I'm telling you, when I go to Hurricane, and listen to me, I'm saying it right, Hurricane, we can go to the grocery store and if we see any like polygamists there. I am like watching them like a hawk. Also, I should say too, my family is descended from Mormons.
Speaker 2: From Salt Lake Say, oh you're kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like my whole my mom on my mom's side, both my grandmother and my grandfather were like broke away from the Mormon Church.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So what like what year did they break away from it?
Speaker 1: I mean probably in like the God, I don't know, the fifties.
Speaker 2: Fifties what made them leave.
Speaker 1: I think they just moved away and then they kind of faded away from it all. But and they were like well educated, right, but then I think the Uh, it's fascinating because we'll like look back at all the family history and I remember reading like that, like you know, one of my distant relatives was like, yeah, you know, I asked my dad why he didn't have other wives, and he was like, because I'm not a good enough man. But really it was just because I don't think they could afford it.
Speaker 2: Oh interest, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's a practical reason not to have multiple wives. Hundreds of children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too expensive? All the wives they want the diamond rings, you want to go shop becrs.
Speaker 2: And the nights out.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I would like when we had polygamists around town when I was growing up. Yeah, you would go to Walmart or whatever, and they'd be like barefoot kids, like the women in the prairie dresses. Rarely would you see the men. Yes, they must have been at home. They getting married to other women or something.
Speaker 5: They're taking care of their other wives and kids.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: We had at least one polygamist in my high school Esther the Polygamist.
Speaker 1: Oh so she really incorporated into her name.
Speaker 2: Please call me Esther the Polygamist.
Speaker 1: This was when you were in school, So she was she was like in high school. Yeah, so she was already married.
Speaker 2: She was not married, Okay, that makes me feel better far, I mean, yeah.
Speaker 1: Unless maybe she was in the eyes of the Mormon Church. Because that's the other thing that I learned, which I'm sure you already know that a lot of the wives, like obviously the guy will get married to one woman and it'll be recognized in the eyes of like the state of the of Utah. Right, But then the rest of the marriages are through the Mormon Church.
Speaker 2: Well not the official Mormon church, right, so what.
Speaker 1: Group? And then those those wives usually go on welfare, so they because they can register as single parents.
Speaker 2: You should be teaching seminars.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Between the buildings and.
Speaker 2: That, how does scam the US government?
Speaker 1: I mean I should be doing something Siller. Wow, if comedy doesn't work over me and art doesn't work out for me, do.
Speaker 2: You watch.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that polygamous marriage has fallen apart on TV. The guy is now just in a monogamous relationship again. All of his wives divorced him, although I think, yeah, he was only legally married to one of them. I don't know which one that was. I think was the first one who's now left him. Yeah, so he's now I'm not quite sure where he is with Robin the final wife. Wow, she's going to divorce him to I mean, yeah, they're all getting out of that.
Speaker 5: It clearly it runs in the family.
Speaker 4: I mean that show, if you it's about twenty, it's literally twenty seasons twenty, but you can hop in at nineteen.
Speaker 1: Oh that makes me feel about air.
Speaker 4: And nineteen is when the action begins because COVID hits and they're suddenly filming themselves and he's going out of his mind. No, And it's very interesting delicious.
Speaker 1: I do feel like reality TV in the last year or two because of COVID, has become exponentially more insane. Like shit is hitting the fan in a way.
Speaker 5: That it hasn't previously.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like between Real Housewives Salt Lake City and like the stuff with vander Pump Rules and all that. Yeah, of course, and then like Kyle on Beverly Hills Real Housewives, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: People are just breaking. They are absolutely a fully broken. Do you watch SLC Housewives? I do, Okay, did you? Of course?
Speaker 1: It was so good.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe that Monica's not coming back.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe it.
Speaker 2: She was so compelling, I mean easy to watch the show.
Speaker 1: She saved the show.
Speaker 2: She brought such a mess.
Speaker 1: Such a delicious mess.
Speaker 4: My guess is that she must have truly been a nightmare to work with, like for the producers, because there's no way you would get rid of her otherwise.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, Also, I was just assuming that the producers were in on the thing the whole time.
Speaker 2: They knew they know them, or they're horrible at their jobs.
Speaker 1: They knew it, they knew what they were. I think it's more that she's like maybe crashed and burned after the fact and burned bridges after the facts in a maybe in desperation.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean because we've heard, you know, her talking and scheming with her mom, right who.
Speaker 2: Own show?
Speaker 1: That was so disturbing. I was like, whoa, this is what an abusive mom looks like.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's a wild person. I mean when she had to walk home instead of drive herself. So that lady deserves her own network.
Speaker 2: She really did shows that out of her mind. I mean, fully, let's do the Linda and Monica.
Speaker 1: Show I'd watched.
Speaker 5: I tune in.
Speaker 1: I know I'm part of the problem. I tune into that.
Speaker 2: I love being part of the problem.
Speaker 1: I didn't start watching reality TV until the pandemic, and then I became an addict.
Speaker 2: That's kind of how my journey is really similar. Started with Ninety Day Fiance. Oh, I've never watched it, watched a lot of I don't.
Speaker 4: Watch it anymore because I think I really oh deed Okay, but that was my kind of entry point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you need one show to get you hucked.
Speaker 2: What was yours?
Speaker 1: Well? I had some friends really pushing me to start Real Housewives, and I started New York and I started from the beginning, which was crazy wow, but it was such a time warp, and it's like right when reality TV's starting that it's kind of fascinating because like people are saying things and doing things that they just don't do on TV anymore, because like everyone knows that they're on a TV show now and they know the consequences of being on one. So I started and I was like, oh, this is crazy, and I kind of would just have it on the background, have it on the background, and all of a sudden, I'm nine seasons in and then like some crazy shit starts actually happening because they've been on TV so long, like Luanne Dala SEPs gets cheated on and I was like screaming, and I was like, this is like absolutely worth a long haul. So yeah, so then I became I mean then I was like, I got to get into the other franchises.
Speaker 2: So have you watched all of the franchises?
Speaker 1: Now? Not all of them. I haven't really watched a ton of like Miami.
Speaker 5: I started New Jersey relatively recently.
Speaker 2: That's some big hit New Jerseys people love that.
Speaker 4: I need to get into one more because I only have Salt Lake and then I have to wait a full year.
Speaker 1: Man. I see the thing is the other one s a great place to start because there's only like, what four seasons, So I'm always like, that's a beautiful place for if someone want an entry point into real housewives, listen to me right now.
Speaker 5: You start with Salt.
Speaker 4: Lake City and maybe skip season three. Yeah, no need, Maybe watch the first episode in the last.
Speaker 1: Of season three unless you want a real window into who Gentshaw is true.
Speaker 5: And you've got to see the black Eye.
Speaker 2: Oh the black Eye. Oh god, black Eye. Give me a break.
Speaker 1: With the black Just say who gave me the eyes?
Speaker 4: The fact that she held that secret that long? What a disappointment?
Speaker 1: Well to me, that speaks to like she's she's such a like Heather is a strong person, it seems. And then in other ways, I'm like, wow, what is going on? Why are you like, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: That's there's like a need to be popular or something. Yes, well going on there. I have been to beauty lab. You have multiple times to do what get my picture taken?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have not given.
Speaker 2: Them any money. No botox, no, no, that'll be my next move.
Speaker 4: I'm going to get blasted. I was in Utah last week. I should have gone to their new location.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what.
Speaker 2: A waste of time. That was all I did was see family. No waste of time are you doing?
Speaker 5: You could have been at with the Sun Dance Queen.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I think we should play a game on a leasis today. What do you think, gift Master?
Speaker 2: Okay? I needed a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 4: Oh three, Okay, I have to do some light calculating, so right now, you can recommend, promote, do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: I'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what to recommend and promote? Is this my own stuff or is this like just general like either.
Speaker 2: I think you should promote something of your own and then maybe recommend.
Speaker 1: Recommend something else. Okay, I will promote. I have two podcasts on Comedy Bang Bang World Patreon. One is called This Book Changed My Life and the other one is called Hey Randy. And then I have a solo show at the Allegiant Theater that I've been doing on and off, and I'm sure there'll be more dates coming. So it's called quit while I'm behind and you can follow me at my social media handle. Is such a nightmare at l I L Y Y I L y just search Lily Sullivan and I'm the last famous one that pops up. And then oh and in terms of recommend oh god, I mean, I'm gonna recommend the protein waffles. And then what else?
Speaker 5: What else?
Speaker 4: The Kodiak Company's got to send us some waffles they got. If they don't send us a bunch of free things, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Wig it now.
Speaker 1: And if I find out that you got the free stuff and you didn't share, if I get.
Speaker 4: A bunch of free waffles, I'm going to load them up and back them into your house.
Speaker 5: Also, I would recommend going to Colorado City.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should all go to Colorado City at some point to be kind of chased by polygamus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially if you're a man. I think you get chased.
Speaker 1: Out of town.
Speaker 2: Oh, that makes perfect sense because they're threatened competition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and only so many younger men are allout in town.
Speaker 2: I feel there's a whole thing about that they kick young men out.
Speaker 1: They do know. And then this is another thing, Uh, oh is that fun?
Speaker 4: That's the alarm, that's a polygamists alarms.
Speaker 1: A little bit too much about them. But then I was hearing from my extended family that that the polygamists are very good at least from that from Colorado City at doing tile. So tile they're known to do, like good tile in that area.
Speaker 2: Wow, get a new new bath Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then she was saying that they while they're doing the tile, like if they because she had them come that they all started watching the TV.
Speaker 5: Because they can't watch TV.
Speaker 2: That is eerie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I was like, wow.
Speaker 2: They're all kind of just slowly turning towards the TV.
Speaker 5: Towards the TV.
Speaker 2: Wow, actually the tile. I'm gonna have them redo both of my bathrooms.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, while you're while your beauty.
Speaker 4: Lab, I'm gonna pass through the beauty lab, drive to Colorado City, pick up some polygamists men, bring them back here.
Speaker 1: I love this and then love them.
Speaker 2: Watching an episode of TV.
Speaker 1: Protein Waffles, watch it on the big screen.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is how we play gift Master. I'm gonna name three celebrities and three gifts, three things you can give away, and you're gonna tell me which celebrity you would give which gift and why.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I hope I know all the celebrities, and.
Speaker 2: I hope you do too. I'm okay, this is the first one. I hope.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever said his name aloud. Barry Keegan? Is that the guy's name the news?
Speaker 5: That's the guy from the who drinks the bathwater?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: God, Barry Keegan, Jose Conseco, famous baseball player, and Maroon five.
Speaker 2: The band all five of them. Oh, isn't five people in the band.
Speaker 5: There's got to be right, otherwise I'd be like you idiots.
Speaker 2: I'm wonder and I'm very curious. It's just one guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's only what's his name?
Speaker 2: At uh, divine divine Levine, Adam Levie, Adam Levi, Adam Levine, Adam Levine.
Speaker 4: Yes, there must be five on Elise, What do you think there are forty members of this a cappella?
Speaker 6: That's like a history of things. I guess it's like recently there was they were a seven piece band.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm looking trying to get to the origin. No, but clearly they haven't five.
Speaker 5: Five no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: If you have two other band members, they need to be off stage. Just show me five.
Speaker 4: Those two should be behind a curtain. Get them out of the band.
Speaker 5: How dare they?
Speaker 4: Okay, So those are the three celebrities, Berry Keikan, Jose Canseco Marine five uh. And these are the three gifts. Number one a badass sword, number two a swimmer's torso, and number three a blood thirsty fan base. Whoa, those are all great gifts.
Speaker 1: Okay, geez, A sword, a bloodthirsty fan base, and.
Speaker 2: A what swimmers torso?
Speaker 1: Okay? I think Berry Berry Berry Berry is gonna get the torso. And I'm gonna tell you why. He's got to drink some bath water off that torso, like all a body shot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you're giving him like someone's torso has been chopped up and if it's like dropped on his porch. So he's not going to have the torso. No, no, no, no, this is gonna have a cadaver.
Speaker 1: It's like you know when you do like ice sluge, it's like a party party torso. You said it up and you drink bathwater off. People are gonna be obsessed.
Speaker 4: That's gonna be the new like Instagram party thing that everyone has. It's like the three D camera. Now people will be drinking off of a chopped up torso.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm pretty sure that they all have. All of these people that you've listed have they're in shape, they have nice enough bodies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are there. I assume I would think we don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, has four hundred members of it's probably all different shapes and sizes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then jose Canseco, I'm going.
Speaker 5: To give him a sword.
Speaker 2: Oh interest jumped the balls in half. He gives me kind of an aggressive vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like he's on Twitter or something. It's one of these people kind of tweeting wild things.
Speaker 5: See, that's the thing. Certain people they can't.
Speaker 2: Have, certainly, not like an aging baseball player.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, Also, no need. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: No you need?
Speaker 2: Why are you trying to fill.
Speaker 1: The money in the world? What are you doing online?
Speaker 2: I do something.
Speaker 1: That's the thing about social media that made it so sad.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Is he dead?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's dead, gas dead.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. It's just heh.
Speaker 6: He's been arrested for a bunch of things like reckless driving and carrying a loaded semi automatics.
Speaker 5: So he doesn't need a sword.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe they've all been taken from him.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I can't.
Speaker 2: This is the weapons.
Speaker 1: I can't give him the bloodthirsty fan base because then they're gonna be encouraging that.
Speaker 2: Behavior of an army.
Speaker 1: So I actually, maybe I've to give him the torso, because well, what's he gonna do with that? He's going to party the little too hard because obviously it's a party torso. All Right, I'm still gonna give him the sword. It's gonna be chaotic no matter what. He's already he's already got weapons.
Speaker 2: Maybe trips and falls on it.
Speaker 5: Him and Howard Stern double.
Speaker 2: Come to our double funeral. You and I are singing and our bird is flying around the church.
Speaker 1: Okay. So yeah, so that that that's what I would do. And then the blood thirsty fan base goes to Moroon five because they need it. They need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like their fan base's best is probably tip it. Yeah, probably people who are like I guess I like them. I heard them on the radio. I heard them on Jack f M.
Speaker 1: I think there's a lot of people go in and they're like, oh, there was a show happening in their you know, small city. They know, They're like, who's headlining? Oh yeah, Maroon five?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's part of a corporate retreat or something absol. I didn't hate it. They could have gotten rid of two of the people on stage, but they were fine.
Speaker 1: Well, Adam's really the only one that you know from the band.
Speaker 2: No one knows anyone else in They didn't tell you another face or instrument. Is he working to keep the other people nameless?
Speaker 5: Ye, he's trying to keep them back and down.
Speaker 2: He is keeping them in Colorado City, his own.
Speaker 1: They're probably not allowed to watch TV or anything.
Speaker 4: They're very good at tiling. Maroon five tiled my bathroom.
Speaker 5: That I'd wear a shirt with that.
Speaker 2: Somebody printing Maroon five printed?
Speaker 1: Guys, are you listening? I know you reach out, Come on, Nellie, are you.
Speaker 2: There, buddy? Beautifully played, really thoughtful and uh, we've all gotten to kind of picture a swimmer's torso completely removed from a body.
Speaker 1: I like, I really truly did not understand the event. Give it to that person like they would now have a nice boty.
Speaker 2: You took it in a much better way, I think, really really dark. You created a whole new party trend, kind of a hannibal lector party. I mean it sounds fine, sounds delightful.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails, and people write into I said no gifts at gmail dot com listeners begging for help.
Speaker 2: I was just desperate.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I help them. Would you mind helping of course. Okay, let's get into the dock here. Okay, well, this looks like it's going to be extremely long. Everybody buckle up, boy, I'm gonna clear my throat.
Speaker 4: Dearest Bridger on Elise and disrespectful yet gracious guest.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Oh wow, thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna have to blow through this because this is the Bible. This is a retrospective question, as I already lived through this horribly awkward event. I had been seeing someone for around a month and a month and a half leading up to Christmas. I am a student and the person was a friend of a friend and lived two and a half hours away from me. We had a pretty immediate spark, but it died down for me as we spent time together. Oh if tail is oldest time. I wasn't sure if it was me losing interest or just being stressed with exam season to think about a potential relationship with this person, but once I was on winter break, things became clear and I decided I didn't want to pursue it any further. Christmas heartache, I texted this person that the distance wasn't working for me, but their answer was just along the lines of they are so willing to make it work and they hope I am too.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then they invited me to drive up to their place for the day. Oh, this is the beginning of a horror movie. So I drove up to their place and decided to end it when I got there. The thing is that when I walked into the house, their roommates were sitting in the middle of the living room, so I couldn't do it right away. Okay, oh my god, We're about halfway through here. And then they asked me if I wanted to open my Christmas present. I had already given I'm an early Christmas present before this, and I didn't know what to do because they had already bought it for me.
Speaker 2: So I opened it. Yep, And then I thought, well, now I can't just end things right after opening a gift from them, right And basically things like this kept on happening for the whole afternoon.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is have to giving me Christmas gifts all day long?
Speaker 2: Isn't that what happens in Gone Girl? I can't remember.
Speaker 4: So I ended up awkwardly spending like three hours with them. I finally forced myself to just say what I had had to say and end it. And that was also horribly awkward and uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good, I'm.
Speaker 2: Sorry that was long. Thank you so much for the apology.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to give a good picture of how awkward things were, because then I was faced with two situations that actually made things more awkward.
Speaker 2: Oh my.
Speaker 4: Number one, they were about to make a snack for us to eat, maybe a protein waffle, absolutely, and when we were done talking, they said they were going to still make food. I said I'd get out of their hair and head out, but they replied, no, you don't have to unless you want to.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: This unleashed pretty deep pettiness I didn't know I had in me, and I decided I had to stay. I absolutely overstayed my welcome and sat in their kitchen, eating their food and chatting with their roommates until they basically kicked me out, Which brings us to question one, how long is this event?
Speaker 2: We're almost done?
Speaker 1: I feel like I was like, oh I could answer that question now. Oh wait, No, there's more questions.
Speaker 4: Number one, would you have stayed? What would you have done? Number two? What do I do about the gift? A lot of my friends and family are judging me for taking a home with me, But what was I supposed to do? I wasn't asking for the gift that I gave them back, and they had already spent money to get me a gift. Would you have left the gift with them or would you have taken it? I never give gifts to get something in return. Oh okay. I believe if you give something. I believe if you give something to someone, then whatever they do is up to them. I don't know if I'm looking for validation or for okay, or for someone to tell me I was wrong, But either way, I appreciate you taking the time to read this very long email while they were all aware. Yep, wishing you the very best. You brighten my thursdays. Buttering me up last minute, Zoe.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Zoe. Wow, Okay, you know.
Speaker 2: What it's a book? Pitch.
Speaker 1: It is great manuscript. I've been in a similar situation. I had to break up, like right around Christmas with the guy what happened?
Speaker 5: And he gave me gifts?
Speaker 1: Oh no, and I still dumped him, And I tell you the gifts we had. Basically, I think I can't remember exactly the timeline, but I I think I broke up with him, and he, in the process came upstairs like with me and brought a bunch of the Christmas gifts to like almost guilt me. And then I opened them all after he left, and they were all like inside joke, and I was like, I.
Speaker 2: Want to garbage. That's easy, girl.
Speaker 1: But I feel like, first of all, you never you never have to stay anywhere you don't want to stay.
Speaker 2: No, No, especially not in this creepy cabin he's lured you into.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even if he's doing his best to like guilty or keep you there, you can always leave. You don't owe him.
Speaker 2: Anything, no, no, unless the gift was great, and then you owe the world.
Speaker 1: The car you're hand in marriage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's true. I mean the overdoing it with the staying. I think she didn't go far enough with the overdoing it. Yes, you can overdo it. You've got to ruin his life. You do become the worst water.
Speaker 1: Yes, stay there for weeks if you're really need to.
Speaker 2: Try, and then kind of evict him from your new home and just make his life a living hell. Keeping the gift was okay to keep the gift.
Speaker 5: Gift, Well, it depends if the gifts like a diamond.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's it's all about it's if they clearly spent a lot of money and could return it and you feel guilty keeping it, right, then okay, fine, maybe give it back to them. But if it's like something like you know, enjoy the gift, it's like just keep it.
Speaker 2: It's more amplicated.
Speaker 5: To go and like give it back and hash it out.
Speaker 1: Just like I'm I'm a big fan of those kinds of breakups where you just go like cold turkey, don't speak to that person.
Speaker 5: I think it's the best.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like, no, I have to like go and get coffee with them, Like, no, you don't.
Speaker 2: What They're not going to be part of your life any You don't.
Speaker 1: Need to open that wound again.
Speaker 2: It's just clean, you know.
Speaker 1: Sign literally unnecessary. But I think a lot of people get caught up in like I have to like, I but I loved this person for so long and they have to I'm so used to talking to them, and it's like, yeah, you never gonna get over it if you keeps seeing them for fucking coffee.
Speaker 2: Neither of you wins.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like the problem Zoe has is these judgy friends and families.
Speaker 2: I get rid of them.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think you're she's trying to please everybody and you just can't. You got to do what what makes you feel best.
Speaker 2: Zoe has to isolate, cut off everyone.
Speaker 5: Go ahead and find a cabin in the woods, not this guy's.
Speaker 2: Cabin, maybe next door, and make it your own Colorado And you don't even have to finish the house.
Speaker 1: There's plenty of men there and body women and children to be friends with.
Speaker 2: What kind of tax break could you possibly be getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by that point, you're paying for the gift and more with the tax break you're getting in Colorado City.
Speaker 5: I know, I do think like I mean, it's always.
Speaker 1: So messy breakups because they're like you, clearly you have stuff of theirs, they have stuff of yours. I'm just like, let them keep it. Yeah, it doesn't matter that much.
Speaker 2: In three months it'll all be forgotten.
Speaker 1: Nobody give you. Think about all the stuff in your house that goes to goodwill, not to call it back.
Speaker 2: We know none of the things will be tried on in store.
Speaker 1: That stuff's going in a landfill, no matter what, No matter what he gave you, it can't be that good. What was it? A Stanley kind?
Speaker 2: I know of all the details in this forty t Tell me what you got.
Speaker 1: Tell me otherwise I'm just like, I don't understand. It would have to be the gift would help me understand why it's so hard.
Speaker 2: Right now, this precious gem.
Speaker 1: At this point, I'm like, I don't think you really like this person. Clearly this guy seems to have some kind of hold over you or your guilt. Does that you keep going back?
Speaker 2: He basically lives in another state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't. You could never speak to this person again. But maybe this gift was like a car Zobe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a new boat or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, we can't answer the question fully because Zoe, Zoe fortunately failed.
Speaker 5: I love you, Zoe, but you really fucked that one up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Zoe will take you know the kind of swamp of information we just provided and.
Speaker 2: Fix your life. Yeah, fix your.
Speaker 4: Life with that information. We answered this as perfectly as we possibly could have.
Speaker 1: And I just want to say, I kept all those gifts from that guy that I broke.
Speaker 2: Up with, and do you still have look at me now, I don't have any one of those gifts. Oh I wonder who has them? Some landfill probably, And now you're here being a beautiful artist, exactly, Zoe.
Speaker 1: That could be Zoe, could be you, Zoe painting a beautiful picture like this.
Speaker 2: Oh Lily, I've had such a wonderful time.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, me too.
Speaker 2: And I now have this beautiful piece of art. I'll have to frame.
Speaker 1: Yes, sorry I didn't bring a frame and.
Speaker 4: Then sell to our billionaire listener. Please reach out, I'm begging you. Let me stay in your vacation home. Just so wonderful time with you. Thank you for being.
Speaker 1: Here, ah Joy, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Listener.
Speaker 4: The podcast is, it's never been more over. It's just ending, move on, I love you, goodbye, I said No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Annalise Nelson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday, and we couldn't do it without our guest booker Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said, no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 1: Invt did you hear?
Speaker 3: Funa Man myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest, Tom, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no, guests, your own presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me