Speaker 1: Hey, you welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind, it is November, so we are celebrating November like a lot of film fans out there. So this is our newar November episode from last year. It is the nineteen forty one Peter Lorie film The Face Behind the Mask. Let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. In today's episode of Weird House Cinema. We're getting in on the Near November festivities. If you're not familiar with this, this is a yearly, month long celebration of near cinema, a concept introduced in twenty ten by film critic Maria E. Gates. Film noir is, of course, a turn that covers a lot of ground and bleeds into a number of different subgenres and adjacent genres. I mean it ultimately becomes just sort of a shade, you know, and a stylistic flourish that may be employed even just in key scenes in a particular picture, but in its arguably truest form, we're talking about black and white old Hollywood crime dramas, full of cynicism, amoral characters and style, heavy dash of German expressionism, plenty of cigarette smoke. Throw all that in and you're good to go. There's also much to be said about this genre emerging out of the Great Depression. Lots of moving parts, so you can identify noir in everything from such films as The Maltese Falcon from nineteen forty one nineteen forty two's Casablanca to stuff like nineteen eighty twos Blade Runner and multiple you know, neo noir films from the likes of the Cohen Brothers and David Lynch. And we haven't really gotten in on this Noirvember thing before. You know, I've seen it. I've seen it celebrated at Videodrome, the rental store here in Atlanta, I've seen it celebrated online in various places, and you know, it feels right. November is a really choice month for all of this, because wordplay aside, it's a month of continued descent through fall and into winter. It's a month often typified by things like elections or corporate layoffs. It's a bleak time for bleak hearts, so what better time than now to dive into the black and white world of private detectives and professional criminals. So what is today's movie? It is nineteen forty one's The Face Behind the Mask, And yeah, it actually comes out nine months before The Maltese Falcon, which is sometimes considered the first big film noir picture, but it also ultimately depends on how you slice it. You can also reach back into the thirties for possible examples of forerunners in the genre. And also, this is a picture that I'm to understand wasn't actually viewed a lot after its initial release. It's kind of built up a following over time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so your selection this week got me really thinking about what is it that makes a movie film noir. I don't really know exactly what the primary criteria are. It's one of those things where it's defined by a number of different sort of plot conventions and stylistic conventions. And if a movie has a critical mass, if it has enough of these different things in it, then it starts to feel like noir. But I don't know what the core things are. Though you mentioned a minute ago The Maltese Falcon, the Humphrey Bogart movie and I feel like that's kind of the prototype film noir, right, Like that's or the archetype. I don't know which is the right term there. It's like it's the type example that you think of, or at least that I think of for film noir. So it has a tough, cynical detective. It has a lot of people running around chasing after money, It has cynical crime themes. It has a maybe somewhat gloomy outlook on human nature, but also has a sense of humor, a kind of dark sense of humor. And in fact, it has an actor in common with the movie we're going to be talking about today, because a major character actor in the Maltese Falcon is Peter Lourie in the role of Joel Cairo, who is the main character in the face behind the mask. So I would say, almost to the same extent that I associate Humphrey Bogart with noir, I also associate Peter Lourie with it.
Speaker 1: That's right. If you're cooking film noir, either during this time period or in later decades, Peter Lourie, or at least the ghost of Peter Laurie, is very much on the spice Rack, as is Humphrey Bogart, as are various other elements. Like you can also throw in things that are not president in this picture, such as the fem fatale. It's very often an employed to some degree in a noir picture. So there are, yeah, all these different things that may or may not be added to the finished product. But when you taste the soup, you know, ah, this is film noir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cigarettes, fried eggs, black coffee, revolvers, Fedoras, trench coats. That's what's going on here. And Peter Lourie is part of the mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So as far as weird House cinema selections go, it's notable that this is our This is only our fourth selection from the nineteen forties, following Doctor Cyclops, The Beast with Five Fingers, and The Devil Bad. It's our second picture directed by Robert Florey, and our third Peter Lori picture. It's also one of our infrequent picks to not feature a speculative element, though I would say it's weird enough in its own way for our purposes. I also want to stress that this film is also very strongly a melodrama, so it's not subtle in its manipulation of the heart strings. You know, it's a bit of a morality play. Well, so it's yeah, it's a it's a good picture. I was really pleased with. It is one that's kind of been on my short list for a long time. Often held up as one of Laurie's best performances. A picture where he is the lead and gets to bust out a number of his tools and you know, not just be the villain or a side villain or a side quirky character. He is the main event here.
Speaker 3: This, this really is a look at my range movie for Peter Loriie. There are some scenes where he is so wholesome and so precious, He's just cute, adorable, wonderful, other scenes where he is the creepiest creep and he gets to do both in the same film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for like an absolute Peter Lourie picture, it's like this and Mad Love or I think Neck and Neck. You don't, they don't, But each film hit slightly different notes. You know, you don't get the same array of Peter Lourie in both films, but added together, I mean you get to see so many different colors from him.
Speaker 3: But you're also right in saying that this is not a subtle film. I mean, this is not a film where the drama takes place reading between the lines. It's all on the lines here. So there are extremely overt monologues in which the themes of the film are pretty explicitly stated, and we get like swelling music while they're delivered, and they're delivered in almost kind of a stage performance way. You know, characters kind of borderline shout their lines and they're full of overt passion. But if you know, if you know that's what you're in for, it's not really a bad thing. It's just a different way to tell a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another point about this picture we'll keep coming back to is that it's a pretty fast ride. This film's only sixty nine minutes long, and I think it's the rare weird house cinema selection where I have to say I don't think it is long enough. I feel like I needed a little bit more from it. I mean, what we have is tremendous, but you know, I wanted to see scenes that are alluded to but not shown to us. And yeah, it doesn't have a lot of time to even necessarily further explore some of the ideas that it brings up, which you know isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Speaker 3: Many of the most pivotal scenes in the plot happen off screen. They're like the big turning points are like you see what's leading up to it, and then you see the characters talking about it afterwards, but you don't see the thing itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, so it's like Frank Herbert would dig that. But it's like, it's not battle scenes that are left out, you know, it's not like big budget things that I don't know, you know, maybe it was a budgetary decision to not show some of like the key heists that become important later on, but you know, they make a lot out of the time they have here.
Speaker 3: Do you think they left out the safe cracking scene? Like it was it cut for content that was just like too spicy for audiences at the time.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I really Yeah, we'll talk about when we get to that point in the plot, but yeah, I really wanted to see this first big heist that that Jagosh is involved in. But more on that in a bit. Now.
Speaker 3: I am, by no means an expert in film noir, but I associate several different plot types with this genre. The most common, I would say, is the private detective story. You know, somebody shows up with a strange case for a private detective, and the detective goes down the rabbit hole, you know, figuring out all the twists and turns and all that. Maltese Falcon is of that sort. But if there is a second type of plot structure I most associate with film noir, it is the plot that we get in the face behind the mask, which is an originally good hearted person is lured or forced into a life of crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fallen angel, breaking bad, yes, you know. Yeah. And one of the interesting things about it is that this is of course also an immigrant story, and so the good person at the heart of this is someone who is entering America for the first time and has all these ideas and all these dreams, dreams that he has absorbed, you know, from Afar, the American dream, and so his fall is also about realizing the flaws and the American dream and the things that you know, that he had built up in his head that just aren't part of the reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that his hopes are sort of crash against the rocks of reality and of circumstances beyond his control, and that just happens over and over until he is forced into becoming the gang story that he once feared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Now, I don't have any trailer audio for this one, but if you want a little dash of the trailer audio, look up Joe Dante's Trailers from Hell feature on it. It's pretty fun. It's just, you know, Joe Dante talking a little bit about this picture and then sharing some audio and video from the trailer. But I couldn't find that trailer anywhere else for us to sample, so I'll just say go ahead and check out what Joe Dante has to share about that trailer. Now you might be wondering at this point, Hey, I haven't seen Face behind the Mask. I'd like to before continuing on with the episode. Well, fair enough. I support that. This one, however, is not, to my knowledge, currently available in the US on disc, but it is currently part of the streaming options over at the Criterion channel. That's the streaming platform and app brought to you by the Criterion Collection. The Face behind the Mask is currently featured as part of their Noir November Essentials collection. We don't champion a lot of streaming options on stuff to blow your mind. But the Criterion Channel is, in my unpaid four opinion, here a great streaming option for film fans. You can try it for free for a week, you know that sort of thing. But you can watch everything from Brida Frankenstein and Scanners to the Story of Ricky and Raising Arizona. And they have some really tantalizing playlists of films, including I was just looking at it this morning. There's one that's just synth scores, so all sorts of cool electronic scores for the pictures selected. And then they have one that's just hopping vampires, so it's like, I think it's all just mister Vampire pictures. And of course we talked about the first Mister Vampire film on the show a while back.
Speaker 3: Yes, also in my unpaid for opinion, I greatly enjoyed the Criterion Channel, though I should issue a warning to people because I was confused by this at first. You can't assume just because a movie has a Criterion Collection release that it will be featured streaming on the Criterion Channel. Some movies have a disc from Criterion, but they're not on there. But it's still a good channel.
Speaker 1: Right, and likewise, there are plenty of pictures on there that I don't think have discs on Criterion, but it's just it's a great selection, and a number of weird house cinema pictures are in there as of this recording. All right, let's run through some of the people involved here. The director is, of course Robert Florey, who lived nineteen hundred through nineteen seventy nine. Industrial strength French American director who worked from the twenties through the sixties, amassing one hundred and eighteen credits and just really cranking out pictures during the nineteen thirties. His early career was apparently more avant garde expressionism, but he became one of these kind of like cinematic workhorse types of guys from a purely horror standpoint. He's perhaps best known for directing Murders in the Rue Morgue in nineteen thirty two, based on the Edgar Allen post story and starring Hungarian American film legend Lagosi, as well as ape suit legend Charles Goemora. Also of note was the noir film Daughter of Shanghai from thirty seven. That one featured a female Chinese American elite in the form of Anime Wong, another legendary name from a lot of noir pictures, as well as Korean American actor Philip An. Flori is also noted for having been the initial director on nineteen thirty one's Frankenstein with Lego we see attached to play the monster during those early stages before Legosi like leaving the picture because he didn't want to play like this. You know what we might think of is just like a killing machine Frankenstein monster. And you know, of course Flories ends up being replaced by James Whale, and we get the nineteen thirty one Frankenstein that we all know and love. Florie later directed a lot of TV and his last film credit is an episode film or TV credit is an episode of the original Outer Limits series titled Moonstone. He also did three Twilight Zone episodes. All right, now, as far as the story and screenplay here goes, there are four different names, some of which I don't have a lot of information on. Apparently the story is based on a radio play called Interim by Thomas Edward O'Connell who lived nineteen fifteen through nineteen sixty one. I couldn't find out much about this. The screenplay for the film, however, was apparently very much put together with Peter Lourie in mind for the lead. Let's see author Levinson has a story credit note relation obviously to I think there's a contemporary author Levinson who's involved with like Apple computers or something different. Guy. There's Alan Vincent who has a screenplay credit, who lived nineteen oh three through nineteen seventy nine, actor and screenwriter who appeared in such films as nineteen thirty three's Mystery of the Wax Museum. This is his first screenplay credit. And then we also have a screenplay credit for Paul Jericho, who lived nineteen fifteen through nineteen ninety seven. OSCAR nominated American screenwriter here for nineteen forty two's Tom Dick and Harry, who was later blacklisted during the McCarthy era for his ties to the Communist Party and alleged subversive content. During this time, though, he produced the nineteen fifty four film Salt of the Earth, which was a project that entailed a handful of other blacklisted filmmakers and was well received and I think it continues to be well received. Often worked uncredited or under a pseudonym his other and it's also included nineteen sixty two's All Night Long, All Right, But of course our star playing Janosh Johnny Zabo, we have Peter Lorii. Yeah, nineteen oh four through nineteen sixty four. Austro Hungarian actor of Jewish descent who made it big in Fritz Lung's Im Back in thirty one, sometimes singled out as an early noir picture, are certainly very influential on noir films to follow, before he ended up fleeing the rise of anti Semitism under the Nazi regime. A legendary character actor who, of course appeared in one of our first Weird House Cinema episodes covering nineteen thirty five's Mad Love. He is best remembered for his various roles in such noir mainstays as Casablanca, Maltese Falcon thrillers like nineteen thirty four's The Man Who Knew Too Much, as well as such horror films as nineteen sixty three as The Raven, and even such big budget productions as nineteen fifty four to twenty thousand Leagues under the Sea. He wrote and directed a single film, nineteen fifty one's the Lost One, and he was technically the first actor to play a Bond villain, appearing in the nineteen fifty four TV adaptation of Casino Royale.
Speaker 3: This is the Thing that was an adaptation of Casino Royale that had Barry Nelson as James Bond. Barry Nelson is the guy who plays the hotel manager at the beginning of the shining. He's like the guy hiring Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 1: This is back when James Bond was played by an American and presented as an American character.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so good, But man, I would watch Peter Laurie as La Chief that that'd be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm whatever else is going on, Yeah yeah, I mean Peter Laurie is such an intriguing icon, you know, like iconic in ways that are hard to overstress, you know, like he becomes this like you go ack and you watch old Bugs Bunny cartoons and they'll have a Peter louri character. I think plenty of people still like doing like if you have I have a Dungeons and Waggin's character that uses a Peter Lorrie voice. I feel like a lot of other people haven't leave even Dungeon Masters have probably done some version of a Peter Lourie voice at some point. You know, he's just he's that iconic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's so iconic that my Christoph Lambert voice is actually a Peter Lorrie voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean, he's just tremendous, you know. And he was frequently typecast as sinister foreigners, and his career has some real ups and downs, absolutely, but especially during his prime here, he's always there's always something about his performance. It's a treat. And this is a film much like Madlove, where we get to enjoy him as the star of the picture. He gets to play a lot of different notes in his performance that we don't otherwise get to experience. I want to point out too, that he was thirty six when they filmed this, and he looks thirty six. But there are different points where they would call him like kid or are they talking about him as if he's like this young boy who just in America. It's like he's clearly a grown man, but fair enough.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know. Early in the film, he's so full of hope. He almost has a kind of newborn quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he is totally bought into the American mythology that he's been presented with, and yeah, it's just overflowing with optimism and it is a bit naive, as we'll discuss, all right. So that's Peter Laurie. More on his performance as we proceed. The love interest here, the eventual blind love interest for our protagonist is the character Helen Williams, played by Evelyn Keyes who lived nineteen sixteen through two thousand and eight. She was an American actress who played supporting roles in some pretty big films, including nineteen thirty nine's Gone with the Wind and nineteen fifty five's The Seven Year Itch. Other credits include nineteen fifty one's The Prowler and then much later in her career, Larry Cohen's A Return to Salem's Lot in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: So we were just mentioning there's a part of the movie where where Peter Lourie is full of hope and optimism, but the character of Helen appears later in the film after all of Peter Laurie's hope and optimism is gone, and she's sort of like the energy beat. She's like an energy weapon of happiness, just blasting into the film from orbit, and you know what it's like. She really does completely change the tone of the movie when she appears. But of course, you know, this is film noir, so they're gonna have to play this romance for tragedy ultimately.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I mean she's great in this. She's delightful, you know, totally buy into this, this light of optimism you know that she brings. But also like obviously she's a doomed angel, you know, like, yeah, you know where this is going. Too good for this world, all right. We also have Don Beto playing Lieutenant James Jim O'Hara. He lived nineteen oh three through nineteen ninety one. Yeah, he's a sympathetic New York police officer who helps Janosher early on. Played by an American character actor whose credits include nineteen fifty five Is the Night of the Hunter and nineteen forty six is The Best Years of Our Lives. He performed on Broadway prior to this movie and prior to his going into film and television. According to Joe Dante, he's an actor known for a lot of milk toast rolls, but he thinks this is one of his best performances, and then we have the character of Dinky. Dinky. This is the character that really surprised me because I came into this expecting the great Peter Lorrie performance. But I really think George E. Stone is terrific here as Dinky, the criminal with a heart of gold.
Speaker 3: He's the guy who he just can't he can't stop doing crime, but he's actually a really nice guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't want to do crimes, but like, things keep happening and he keeps falling back down the ladder, and then he has no choice, you know. Yeah. Stone lived nineteen oh three through nineteen sixty seven. Published born American actor of vaudeville, Broadway, film, and TV. Played a lot of scrappy Prohibition era New York characters often described as runyon esque. This is not really terminology I was familiar with, but this is a reference to the writings of author Damon Runyon, who invoked a lot of colorful New York City slang in his writings.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so like when we very first meet Dinky, he comes out of the shadows to pick up the wallet that was dropped by like a wealthy you know, Wall Street trader who gets scared by Peter Lorii's face in the middle of the movie scene and Dinky he picks up the wallet and he goes like, hey, let's see what Sandy Claus left for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, I didn't know what runyon esque was beforehand, but now that I've seen this performance and I have heard the word, now I can recognize runyon esque elsewhere in pictures, Like there are definitely characters in Santa Claus Conquers the Marsh that are runing esque. Yeah, even though they're Martians. I don't know why they're runying esque, but anyway, but yes, Stone is terrific in this his film roles. Other film roles include nineteen thirty one's Little Caesar, nineteen fifty fives Guys and Dolls, and nineteen fifty nine Some Like It Hot. Yeah, it's a great performance. Like, he's very likable and he has a lot of heart, and he is a characters will discuss that very much saves Janosh at a very dark point in his life. Yeah. Now, to the extent that this movie has a villain, like a centralized individual villain, it is jeff Jeffries. I guess his full name would be Jeffrey Jeff jeffries a man so Jeff they named him twice, played by James c who lived nineteen fourteen through nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: I was banging my head trying to figure out where I recognized this guy from because he was very familiar, and I finally realized it was from a Miracle on thirty fourth Street.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, who does he play in that?
Speaker 3: He's like, I think there are two psychiatrists in it, and there's like the one mean one who's sort of the antagonist, and then there's the one nice one. And I think he's the nice one. I could be remembering that wrong, but I know he's in the film.
Speaker 1: He has a very memorable chin, and in this picture anyway, has very memorable shoulders, Like Jeff's suit has shoulders so broad that they made me think of the Dick Tracy villain shoulders, Like it's basically the same dimensions. Yeah, and he's absolutely towering over all the shorter character actors in the picture. Like, his shoulders are as broad as Peter Laurie is like long if you laid him out, you know, Like that's how broad these shoulders are. It's ridiculous. It's laugh inducing at least from our modern perspective.
Speaker 3: The effect created by his outfit. And it's a standard forties, you know, gang member outfit. So it's a suit with a black fedora, you know, big shoulder pads, the vest of the tie. And if this makes any sense, it has the effect of like he's in football pads. He's fully suited up. He's suited up for game time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I end up having this like real reaction to him too, because like Laurie is obviously like, you know, he was a much shorter guy. You know, he's he's not leading your typical leading man material, you know, like he really I attached to Peter Laurie more is like he is like a nerd, you know, he's one of us. And Jeff Jefferies is total jock here. James c is like total jock mode, and like it's instantly I identify him as a danger to our our hero and our icon here.
Speaker 3: But there's there's a scene where Peter Lourie like beats him up.
Speaker 1: Yeah and makes us believe it. Like I like we build up to that encounter and I'm like, Okay, how are you gonna make me believe this? Like this dude is enormous, but you know, Laurie does it. But uh yeah, See See pops up in a number of different things, so you might have seen him in things like fifty ones, The Day the Earth Stood Still, fifty four's Killers from Outer Space, and I think I probably recognize. I don't know who he was in this because I haven't seen it forever because nobody will put it out on disk, But nineteen fifty seven is the amazing Colossal Man. Also features a James ce.
Speaker 3: Roll Oh and Rob you had this note. He was also in the Beginning of the End, which is a Burt Eye Gordon film. This is the one with the giant grasshoppers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's another one. I don't think I've ever seen that one in full. And he's not the star in that one. He's like, you know, mid cast. That one stars Peter Graves.
Speaker 3: I think See Here was known for often playing like a military commander or some government bureaucrat. He's like somebody you would cut away to and they're just giving orders. Yeah, and so he's got a more substantial role in this movie. But it does turn out because I've seen Beginning of the End and I've seen some of these other sci fi movies, so it's not just Miracle on thirty fourth Street. I know him from him, but that is what was in my mind when I was seeing him here in his crime uniform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Two more behind the scenes credits to mention. Franz Planner, who HAVED eighteen ninety four through nineteen sixty three, is the cinematographer Austria, Hungarian cinematographer and five time Oscar nominee. His other credits include nineteen fifty threes The five Thousand Fingers of Doctor t that is one that has been recommended for Weird House numerous times, also Roman Holiday, as well as nineteen fifty fourth twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea, which of course has Peter Lourie and it's a pretty vast ensemble cast. And then finally, Sidney Kuttner is credited with music on this nineteen oh three through nineteen seventy one. But this is all pretty much stock music, I'm to understand, and there are some other music credits in there that are clearly labeled as stock. So you know, there's nothing out of the ordinary as far as the music for Face Behind the Mask, but it's effective it does the job.
Speaker 3: It's nice and melodramatic, all right, So I guess we're doing the plot now. So the movie opens with some text gives us the setting, and it says it's set just a few years ago, when a voyage to America an adventure, not flight, when a quota was a number, not a lottery prize to be captured by a lucky few. I guess the contrast between adventure and flight there being that this movie was released during World War Two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, it's already kind of like calling back to the inter war period here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we see a boat streaming into harbor in New York City, passing in front of the Statue of Liberty, and on the musical track, the orchestra plays a couple of bars of my country tis of thee when we see the statue. So again, this movie is not subtle.
Speaker 1: No, it lays it on pretty thick.
Speaker 3: And then on the boat, two passengers gaze out over the water. So there's one man who's sort of taller with a mustache, looking a little bit hopeful, but his expression is more tempered and he walks away, leaving only the other guy there. The other guy in the background is Peter Lourie looking out at the scene with wide eyed, almost childlike giddiness. And this is our protagonist Janosh, a watchmaker by trade who is a new arrival to America from Hungary. Yanosh approaches a crew member on the deck of the ship with excitement and he asks him for a match, and the kindly man offers him a match, and then Janosh says, no, thank you, I don't smoke. And then he asks for the time. The man tells him it's a quarter past ten. Yanosh checks his own watch and agrees that is indeed the time. Janosh then reveals with an infectious giggle that he is simply practicing his English and again, I can't drive home enough. How sweet Peter Lourie is at the beginning here.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, he really is. There's a childlike innocence here.
Speaker 3: So he points out over the water at the Statue of Liberty and he says, look, she's beautiful, and the boat worker agrees, says, yeah, I'd love to see it every time every time we come into port here, and Janosh then shows him a picture of a woman folded in his wallet in his wallet and says, she is very beautiful too. This is his beloved Maria. Yanosh explains that after he establishes himself in America, she's going to make the journey to join him, and then they will be married when she arrives. So Yanosh arrives on the streets of New York and we see him walking around. He stops a stranger to ask him where he can find a good hot and cold water hotel, and the stranger gives him directions to the Carlton Plaza. He's like, go six blocks up, one block over, two blocks to the left, and then he says, they're waiting for you. I think this went over my head a bit, but I assume the joke is that this is a ridiculously fancy hotel and they're waiting for you, as like their their advertising slogan or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the dig here.
Speaker 3: But then up the street, Janos stops to buy a juice from a street vendor and discovers that all of his money is gone. The fifty nine dollars he arrived with it's all missing from his wallet. So he runs to a nearby policeman for help.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and at this point he's like he's begging the policeman to help him, and again we have more of this like over the top a naivety and an optimism from Janosh. But he has this line though, that is so dumb that it does actually succeed in being really funny. He's like, I've been gangstered. But but then he like calms down a bit like the This is where we meet O'Hara for the first time, and O'Hara is here to sort of talk him down, and it's like, all right, well, buddy, when when did you last see your money? And then he's able to get Janos to calm down enough to realize, oh, I still have the money on me.
Speaker 3: I have it under my shirt, that's right. So I was afraid in this scene. Oh no, he's going to run into a crooked cop who's going to double skin him. But fortunately the detective he meets is friendly and helpful, so O'Hara talks him through it, and then he remembers he was listening to a man on the boat talk about gangsters in America and he became afraid. And you know, I don't know if the like Tommy Gunn Gangster was as big a media sensation at this point in American history as it had been like a decade earlier. I think of like the early thirties as the heyday of the you know, the big gangster stories about John Dillinger and so forth. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but yeah, I wonder if that's sort of what they're playing on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at any rate, we're all familiar with the sort of chewed up by the big city trope, which of course is reflected in that wonderful Simpsons episode where Homer has to come back to New York City to pay for to get a boot off of his car. Right, yes, And it's just you know, absolute I d in his mind that this is a hell city that will you know, that will come at you. So yeah, I was afraid too that Yanosh was about to run into another scam and just be all the worse off for it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because in that Simpsons episode there's a scene where he gets his camera stolen, then he goes to complain to a police officer, and then the police officer steals his suitcase. But anyway, like you said, he remembers that he just hid his money in the shirt he finds it again. So everything's okay. Then the policeman takes Yanosh for a cold drink of some kind. It looks like they're having like an ice cream float. They're at a soda shop and Janosh tells O'Hara about all of his hopes and dreams. He wants to get a job and make money, then bring Marie over the ocean with him to get married, and then have children. He wants to have his sons follow him into his trade, which is watchmaking and watch repair. And Ohara tries to help Yanosh by telling him, Hey, I know of a hotel that's clean, comfortable and cheap. You go to the Excelsior. It's run by a guy named Finnegan. So he gives him directions sends him on his way.
Speaker 1: Now, at the.
Speaker 3: Hotel, Yanosh not only rents a room, but he gets a job washing dishes at the cafe on the ground floor, where it seems like he does extremely good work. We see a scene of him efficiently drying off plates and teacups while singing to himself. The gist is that Yanosh is a machine. He's a real good worker, and he's friendly to boot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now at this hotel, we learned from the manager. There are a couple of rules if you're a guest. First of all, no ironing for some reason. I think he says it overloads the circuits or something. But then the other thing is no cooking your own food. And the reason given is explicitly that the cafe is not making enough money and the hotel needs the business from the guests, so you can't make your own food. Well, one night, we see Yanosh relaxing in his hotel bed after a long shift at work. He's sort of chattering away lovingly to his photo of Maria, and then meanwhile, in another room, a guest is doing such wickedness. He is breaking one of the two amandments. He is cooking in his room, and we get a close up of his little hot plate, and unfortunately, the black and white photography is not kind to whatever he's cooking in this spot. It's some gleaming, wretched slop. It looks like he's boiling glass beads in a broth of nail polish. It does not look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can figure out what this was. It was like, is he doing like some sort of reduction of marachino cherries or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like tasting it. He's stirring it with a fork and tasting yum, yum yum. Well, old man Finn again, the guy who runs this place. He's roaming the halls, sniffing around at the doors for illegal cookery, and he detects He detects the cooking, so he zeros in on the culprit, pulls up a ladder and tries to snoop through the transom over the door to the room. But the guest wises up real quick. He realized he hears something outside, and then he hides his hot plate and the pot of stew in the drawer of his wooden dresser. Seems like a predictable outcome from this, so the guest like he hides it in the dresser and then he puts on a hat and coat leaves the room. He gives a wink to the old man that the manager. He's like, ah, I thought you could catch me, huh. Now, as you might guess, putting the hot plate and the pot inside the wooden furniture starts a fire, and the fire grows out of control and then rages through the hotel. So this scene turns horrifying. Yano should have been having such a sweet time earlier. He was doing well at work. He's, you know, dreaming about his beloved. Suddenly he's awoken to find himself in a crumbling inferno. He tries to escape the hotel, but he is hit by falling debris and he ends up badly injured, very badly burned. By the way, I just wanted to point out rob there's one part where he's like coming down the stairs and he's hit by burning debris that falls from above and then tumbles over the staircase railing. I just thought this was a pretty impressive and dangerous looking stunt. I don't know how they pulled this off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. Like the stunt double of they have for Lori here, I assume it's a stunt double and looks just like him, And yeah, very terrifying. I tend to find most fire effects terrifying in films these days, but yeah, it absolutely feels like a raging inferno here.
Speaker 3: So Yanos survives and he's taken to the hospital, but he has suffered extensive third degree burns over his face and head, and we see him in his hospital bed with his head wrapped up completely in bandages like a mummy, and his policeman friend O'Hara comes to the hospital showing concern. He says he feels responsible for Yanosh's injuries because he's the one who sent him to that hotel, and he pays for some of his care. I think he gives five dollars to pay for his hospital care, and then he leaves a business card for Yanosh, writing a note on the back that he should call him when he's recovered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I think the wording is something like when things are okay. It's a little bit more vague, and that's going to be important later on. That's right.
Speaker 3: I think it says call me when okay. So Janosh retains the use of his hands, but as the healing process goes on, it becomes clear that he's going to have extensive scarring on his face and he will never look the same. The scene where the doctor removes his bandages is extremely dark and it's played like a horror film. The doctor draws the shades on the window and then covers the mirror in the corner of the room before he takes the wrappings off. And while the doctor is removing everything. Yanosh is still his friendly, optimistic self. He's going on and on about how he's excited to go back out and look for work. He's talking about how he's saying, I'm very skilled with my hands. I have experience as a watchmaker, but also in other mechanical jobs. I once worked in an airplane factory. I even flew airplanes when I was in the Armed Forces. And so he's going on about the future. He's very hopeful. But once his face is revealed, the nurses in the room shut their eyes and WinCE. One nurse even walks into the room and screams in horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this scene instantly made me think of a nineteen eighty nine Batman, the Tim Burton picture. We have that great scene with the removal of the bandages on Jack Nicholson's joker in that and you know it's not you know, one to one here. But I can't help but ponder to what extent like this picture and what other pictures may have influenced that scene.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, I see strong similarity. I would agree it's a likely influence. But of course, you know, these reactions they start to alarm you and ocean he becomes upset, so he runs to the mirror, pulls away the towel that's hiding the glass, and is confronted with his new face. Every inch of it is scarred and it has sort of a melted texture, And it's interesting that this is basically the only time the movie actually gives you a good look at his injuries after this scene. For a long time, until there's another plot development, his face will be always turned away from the camera or otherwise hidden. At a certain point, he's going to acquire a customized mask that makes him look like Peter Lourie again, but a sort of altered lory, like Uncanny Laurie, And I don't unless I'm forgetting it. There's really not any other time they show him with his injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they we get, we get some pretty solid glances of it, like in the mirror and so forth. But yeah, for the most part, they they don't show it to us directly. It's focused more on him becoming a creature of the shadows and people, you know, having this terrible reaction to seeing him. And then once the mask is acquired, it is quite interesting because it gives it ends up giving Janosh this kind of weird, almost otherworldly beauty. You know, he's like like an angel, like a fallen angel certainly, you know, but this clearly this being that's caught between realities, Like it's smooths out Peter Laurie's face. So yeah, yeah, he takes on this strange but not like, you know, monstrous appearance. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So after seeing his face, Janosh temporarily loses his mind. He starts screaming where is my face? And he thrashes about, shouting and attacking the doctor until finally he is forcefully sedated. So after this, some time passes and we see things continuing to go bad for Yanosh. He goes out looking for work, dressed in a black fedora and a dark coat with the collar pulled up around his face to hide himself. So he's dressed kind of like a cross between your standard hard boiled PI but also a bit of Dracula in there, somewhere in between the two. And everywhere he goes, including a watchmaker shop and an airplane factory, he asks for work, but he is turned away once the boss sees his face. And there's some very gloomy atmosphere in this part of the film, like I'm thinking particularly of the scene where he goes to the watchmaker's shop, or it seems to be nighttime outside and the windows are illuminated from inside, so he goes in to talk, but once the watchmaker sees him, he's like, sorry, I forgot to take the sign out of the window. We don't have any positions and sends him away, and we see Peter Lorie walking off down the sidewalk where he's illuminated by like he should be illuminated by this lamp that we see in the foreground, but it's like none of the light touches him somehow, like he's just a pure shadow from head to toe. Yeah, we see him becoming increasingly desperate when he goes to talk to the manager of the airplane factory, like he's turned away from the camera, but he says, please, my face makes no difference to how I can work with my hands, and he's showing the manager his hands, but the manager just says, sorry, there's nothing doing here, and then we get maybe the most heartbreaking scene in the entire film, a scene where Janosh writes a letter to his love back home to Maria, which we see part of it translated into English. And the part we see says, I must hurt you, dear Maria, just once, then you can forget me forever. I have met a girl, a very pretty girl. We are going to be married. Goodbye, Maria, forgive and forget Janosh. Obviously this is not true, but he can't face her now, so he lies to make her move on with her life. And this part was so.
Speaker 1: Sad, absolutely heartbreaking. This one legitally made me tear up when I was watching the picture.
Speaker 3: But then we're going to get another slight reversal of fortune. So here we come up on the scene where Yanosh meets Dinky. Now, the setup to this scene visually is very moody and beautiful. Yanosh is standing in his dark costume, covered by the coat and the hat, at the railing of a concrete walkway overlooking the ocean, and the moonlight reflects off of the water and casts these white ripples across the whole scene. It seems to imply Yana is thinking about jumping from the railing and ending his life, but hope comes through a series of unusual events. So a well dressed man approaches Janosh to ask for a match to light his cigar and This is kind of interesting in how it plays on the very first thing we ever heard from Yanosh, when he walks up to the guy working on the boat at the beginning and asks for a match to practice his English. This guy comes up to ask for a match, and then Janosh tries to give him one, but when the man sees Janosh's face up close, the cigar falls out of his mouth and he runs away, screaming. Suddenly, from out of the shadows behind a bunch of crates and barrels comes a third man, and this is Dinky, who's going to become a major character. Dinky notices that the well dressed man dropped his wallet as he was running away, so he approaches Yanosh without fear. He picks up the wallet and he's like, you know, oh, hey thought I was a cop, didn't you. Well, let's see what Sandy Claus left for us, And he starts going through the wallet, and Dinky is a but he's also instantly likable, Like he gets the cash out of the wallet and he's like, ah, what a cheap skate, only twelve bucks, but he splits the cash with Yano. She gives him half, so they introduce themselves to each other, and Dinky is a little squirrely, but unlike everyone else, he doesn't react with horror at Yanosh's face. Instead, he treats him like a friend, like when Yanosh is like, aren't you afraid of me? And Dicky says, what your face? Ah, that's nothing, And they start talking about Yanosh's apparent thoughts of jumping from the wall, and Dinky has has a kind of casual way of bringing some cheer to the situation. He says, what do you get out of being dead lying around in a grave? Ain't my idea of a good time? And he's a sympathetic ear. Yanos starts to tell him about his troubles. No one will give him work and no one will look him in the face or talk to him, and Dinky says like, Hey, I'm looking, I'm looking at you, I'm talking to you. Let me take you out for a hot meat. So he takes him to eat and takes him back to the hotel where he's crashing, and they start to become fast friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dinky almost has kind of a what a run and ask zen quality to him? You know he lives very much in the moment that's right.
Speaker 3: So back at Dinky's place, Dinky's like having a bath and sermonizing to Yanosh about his life philosophy.
Speaker 1: Oh and by Dinky's place, we mean a hotel room that they were able to pay for for just one night, you know, because again Dinky lives in the moment is one night at a time, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, So Dinky says, I've been on my own since I was fifteen. I learned my lesson early. You got to go for the free rides in this world. You got to grab everything you can for yourself before somebody else grabs it first. Only don't get too greedy. I grabbed one thing too many once and got free room and board in a reform school. And Yano says, what you stole? And Dinky says, well, that's what they called it. And Yanosh just like, but Dinky, it is wrong to steal. You can't do wrong and find happiness in life. And here there was big like Lupita from Santa Claus energy.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, yeah, yeah. The morality play aspects of this picture very interesting because it's like the police in this picture are absolutely good. Criminals can go either way, and then of course, Gianos, at least at this portion. In this portion of the picture, is very much of the idea that like there is an absolute right and wrong, there is a firm line between the two, there is no gray area, and you cannot cross over that line.
Speaker 3: Really, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The cops in the movie are good, even though I expected them to be crooked. The criminals are a mix. The really like bad lot are hiring managers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And they cast a bit of shade too on the guy who dropped the wallet. I think they were they were They prefer to him being like a Wall Street guy or something. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dinky's attitude is like, what is he going to come back for this money? He's not gonna miss it. Yeah, But Dinky also explains it's not like he really wants to be in a life of crime the way he thinks about it. He says, what do you get out of going straight? I tried to go straight six or seven times, but something always went wrong, something always happened. So we sort of get the picture forming that Dinky is a small time crook, but he's not really malicious. He's kind of a sweetheart, and he keeps trying to set things right, Like you find out that he's got a mother living out on a farm in the Midwest, hoping he'll come home sometime, and he keeps meaning to save up some money so he can take some money and go back to her and help her buy a chicken ranch she's always dreamed of and work on the ranch with his mom, And it seems it's a really sweet intention, but he just never manages to get it together, often because of stuff outside of his control, like he They never say exactly what it is, but it's implied that Dinky has some kind of chronic disease that occasionally flares up, and then he gets sick and has to go to the hospital, which in the past has caused him to lose whatever legitimate job he had at the time. So then when he gets out of the hospital, he has to do crime again. So they compare their attitudes. Janosh is is now very hopeless and fatalistic about his situation in life. Dinky is relatively carefree. He says, Yanosh Is, like, what's going to happen when we run out of the money that we got tonight? Dinky's like, you know, something else always comes along he mentions that he has an associate named Jeff. This will be Jeffrey, Jeff Jeffries who is doing a stretch up the river, like doing time in prison, and when he when he gets out, he will have plenty of jobs for the both of them. Janosh, not fully understanding the criminal implications here, is like, oh boy jobs, and he goes to sleep, dreaming that things will turn up. So Dinky and Yano, who Dinky calls Yanosh Johnny. They go on living in cheaper and cheaper motels. You see a kind of montage of the like four rent signs getting lower and lower prices, until finally they get thrown out of a real fleabag and they're living in a junkyard. And Dinky at this point he's had some kind of health flare up. He's sick and in need of a doctor. And here is where the plot takes a turn. Dinky is supposed to go out on a job tonight, but he's too sick, and he sends Janosh off to tell his associates that he's not going to be able to be there to do the job. Instead of that, Yanosh goes to his associates and pulls the job off in Dinky Stead, and we learned that the job was straight up crime. It was cracking into a safe and pulling off a jewel heist. I think we're to assume, you know, they talked multiple times before about how Yanosh has skilled hands. He has mechanical skill with his hands, So I think we're to assume that these skills transferred, you know, his watchmaker skills were transferable to opening a locked safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got that eighteen dexterity, so he's able to get in there and break into some safe. But yeah, we don't see this heist, this this safe cracking scene at all. It's alluded missing. Yeah, scene absolutely missing it. I would have loved to have seen it, like I wanted to. I wanted to see like the gears turning in Yanosh's head as he realizes like what this job is, as he you know, actually you know, gets the determination together to go ahead and pull it off, like this seems like a great dramatic sequence that I guess it was just never filmed, And I don't know what the full story is here. If they never intended to, it's just that's not the sort of picture it is, or if it's something they were going to film and didn't have the funds for. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I would have liked to see it too. But anyway, Janosh makes so much money from the job he is able to take Dinky to the doctor and get medicine to make him better. So Dinky's recovering now. But while he's he's in bed and Ianosh is there by his side, some tough guys show up to demand money that Dinky owes them, and they're like, Hey, this new guy's real good. Let's put him to work. Just another note, This doesn't feel like a comment on their character, or at least not an intentional one. But I should note that the other criminals also do not seem phased by Janosh's scars the way that like anybody who's offering a legitimate job does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is interesting, isn't it. I hadn't really thought about this as much, But they they just see the dollar signs. They're like, Oh, this guy can crack a safe and in no time. Well, yeah, of course we want to keep doing business with him. Yeah, but in ways that other legitimate businesses refuse to consider. On all these job interviews he was going for and so forth.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so the path is now on offer. They can keep lining up more jobs for yan Ocean. He can make them all filthy rich. Now Yah There's initially does not want this. He still thinks it is wrong to steal, but Dinky knows how to make the appeal to him. He's like, Janosh, I know what you want more than anything else in the world. You want your face back. And there are these people out there called I think he calls them plastic doctors. He's talking about plastic surgeons. He says, if you have enough money, they can they can give you your old face back. And Yanosh is entranced by this idea. He's like, really, I didn't even know that was possible. So he says, could they fix my face so that people can look at me? And Dinky says, all you need is money. So it's impossible for Janosh to resist. Now, a new face would be a new life. So he's like, okay, crime me up, I will do crime.
Speaker 1: This bit of dialogue between Dinkie and Janosh it really feels like the heart of the picture, and it's the part of the picture that I feel like gives us the most to chew on and figuring out what its message is. You know this bit where he's saying it's being done every day. Yeah, all you have to have is money, you know, buying yourself a new face and so forth. Yeah, it's a lot to chew on. It's really it's as if Dinky is really opening Janosh's eyes to the real American dream, Like here is the real America and this is how you climb here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there's a scene where Yanosh goes to visit the plastic surgeon, but unfortunate, once he gets there, the answer isn't as straightforward as Dinky led him to believe. It's interesting the surgeon isn't presented as giving him giving him impossible promises. Instead, the surgeon seems to be fairly measured in his initial analysis. He's like, well, I'll need to consult another doctor from the practice and compare notes, but we think full reconstructive surgery would be expensive and protracted, might not be possible at all. In the meantime, I can make you a rubber mask of your old face based on your passport photo, and the mask will serve until we can do a full rundown. And see what the prospects for surgery are.
Speaker 1: Yep. So Janosh is like, mask me up. Let's go with the mask and then I'll come back for that next apploytment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the mask will also be expensive. So Janosh does have to do more crimes. So he goes from reluctant safe cracker to just NonStop crime boss. He not only it becomes a safe cracker, he takes over the gang like he all the you know, the tough guys who were showing up at Dinky's plays, Now they're all working for Janosh. And he pulls off highest affter heist. We get the newspaper headlines, scenes of the police getting chewed out by their superiors because they can't catch this criminal mastermind. In fact, it seems like the main detective on the case is Yanosh's old friend, Lieutenant O'Hara.
Speaker 1: Of course it is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also somewhere along this process, Yanosh ends up not only with a lot of money, but ends up with an airplane, or at least flying an airplane like he They mentioned multiple times that he goes out flying an airplane.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so he's he has become the boss. He's running this entire operation, and we'll get some more of crime boss yanovsch But this is another part of the picture where it's like I really wanted more. I needed like another solid twenty minutes of Yanov's just being the boss, you know, enforcing his will, being a little scary with people, and so forth. We get all that, but you know, it just leaves you wanting.
Speaker 3: More now next to I'm sure we're all dying to see the mask. Well, we do get to see it, and of course when we finally see it, it is a bit creepy, because I guess a realistic mask sort of always is. But I'll also say it's not bad for a nineteen forties mask, Like I can tell that it is supposed to be Peter LORII.
Speaker 1: It looks better than some decapitated head effects I've seen, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yes, And then when he puts it on. You were talking about this earlier, rob So when he puts the mask on, we go back to the cameras showing Peter Lourie's face again, but now his skin looks tight and sort of pinched up and unnatural. I don't know exactly how they accomplished this effect. I guess it's some kind of makeup effect, because ironically, the mask we're now seeing I believe is just Peter Lourie's real face, but with some makeup and manipulations.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Like I say, it kind of like smooths him out a bit more and gives him this slightly uncanny appearance.
Speaker 3: It's like Peter LORII with an intense facelift.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: After this, there's this one sequence where they pull off some kind of opera robbery. I'm not sure I didn't fully get the details here, but it involves an opera and then like going to the opera and like looking at each other during a certain time in the show, and then we just see like I think an orchestra conductor tied up and they've got a bunch of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess so they didn't have access to montage technology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, But anyway, while the gang is counting up all their money from the opera heist, they are interrupted by a real nasty customer. Remember old Jeff we heard about earlier, Jeff Jeffrey Jeffreyes. Well, anyway, he's out of prison now, and he wanders into the to the gang's counting room with a gun and insists he's in charge now. Jeff says, we're going to live just as swell. Only one thing will change. We don't need him appointing at yanosh Ooh. But then twist. I didn't see this coming. Peter Lourie like muscles this much bigger guy. He slaps him around. He's like, I'm in charge now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is great. It's very much like little dog putting a bigger dog in its place. Sort of energy here, and you know, Laurie brings it like he makes you believe it, like seconds before it to Kurt. You feel like something like that is going to have to happen in order to put Jeff in his place. But you're like, I don't know if LORI can do it. No, he totally did it. He pulled it off. I believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I think the line he says is these were your boys, their mine. Now we can all be friends. If you want to play friendly, it's up to you. So Jeff cools his attitude and he gets absorbed into the gang. But you can see in this scene that's he's swallowing his pride for the moment, but it might not be going away. He's still hanging on to a grudge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this this is a great scene. So this Yanosh in his villain era here, it's tremendous.
Speaker 3: So some more plot developments. Yanosh goes back to a follow up appointment with his plastic surgeons, and during this appointment they explain, you know, after really looking at things, we cannot in good conscience recommend an operation to you because your burns are too extensive, too severe to be repaired. They say, you know, if it's possible at all, it would take like thirty operations over fifteen years to even really give you a chance of looking like your old self.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get that great bit of that great line from janoshras just repeats that. He just says fifteen years. You know, is it really sinks in that this path that he's chosen for himself, that he's picked up is a temporary change to get back on track is a long term track apparently, and potentially the rest of his life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to him, it means fifteen years of crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Janos's furious, but on his way out of the building he has a chance encounter that will change his life. Yet again, we keep having these reversals of fortune here. So he bumps into a woman on the sidewalk and makes her drop all her things. And this is the romantic meat cute in the middle of the film noir about a good man's desperate and hellish descent into crime. It's a strange change of tone, but this character is the one we mentioned earlier. Helen, played by Evelyn Keys. Helen is blind and works as a jewelry maker, stringing necklaces. I think she does. She string them for a department store.
Speaker 1: I believe so. Yeah, yeah, and she was.
Speaker 3: Transporting project boxes when they ran into each other on the sidewalk. Helen is friendly, and she's funny and optimistic, and her positivity just cut through the gloom of the story like a laser. Janosh is instinctively rude to her at first because he's feeling so bad, but he quickly softens and he helps her pick up her things. And in this scene, I don't know if you notice the same thing, Rob, but you can hear in Peter Lourie's vocal performance, his voice changes as as he became the crime boss. His voice changed to become very tight and gruff that he uses this tight gruff voice with his gangster accomplices, but when he talks to Helen, he quickly starts to sound more like he did at the beginning of the movie when he first arrived in America, with a softer, higher pitched voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. It reawakens the old Yanos.
Speaker 3: Heare, so Yanosh offers to walk with her and carry her things, and she accepts, and so they go back to her apartment and they get to know one another. Helen talks about how she enjoys living independently. She likes keeping up her apartment and listening to music on the radio from the neighbor's next door. And she's so charming it is easy to see why Janosh's crime boss heart is melting. Will probably come as no shock that this is the beginning of a romance story. He asks if he can come back and visit her sometime, and she says she'd like that. So the two of them get to know each other, they become friends. The love story blossoms. They spend lots of time together and one day they go out walking in the country among the oak trees. Here, Helen gives this monologue sort of sharing her perspective on life. Why she's so optimistic and has such a sense of good humor about everything, And she explains from her point of view, being blind, she's able to find beauty in things more easily, so she says, like, you know, when I feel the fur, even of a scrawny alley cat, I can imagine it's the most regal beast. Or just by putting one fresh flower in a jar in my apartment, I feel like I'm living in a spring meadow. Kind of interfaces with stuff. She said earlier about how much pleasure she gets in listening to the radio.
Speaker 1: Yano.
Speaker 3: She gave her her own radio as a gift sometime earlier, and she loves the music, of course, but she even finds pleasure in the advertisements, even if she's not interested in the product they're selling. She just likes listening to the enthusiastic appeals of friendly strangers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she likes her work. It's mentioned in one of these bits from her where she talks about like she enjoys listening to the radio and beating you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yano, she's so taken with her way of seeing the good and everything, And he says he wishes he could see the world the way she does, he would imagine himself as a noble king. But she's like, dude, you are a king. You are unselfish and thoughtful, and that's the most noble thing of all. And during the scene, Yanosh breaks down, he starts to cry, and he says that if she were able to see his burned face, the face behind the mask, the title of the film, she would run away and terror like everybody else else. But she rejects this. She wants to know what he's been hiding, what's troubling him, and invites him to tell his story.
Speaker 1: So he does.
Speaker 3: He relents, and he tells her his whole history, everything that happened, though he tells her off screen, as many pivotal scenes they do take place off screen. Though I guess this is a common this is a fair thing. We don't want to see a character recap the entire film so far, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: But there would have been some really emotional moments in that that we miss out on. But we know what's going to happen. She is going to accept him for who he is, and she sees the true face behind the mask, She sees his heart.
Speaker 3: That's right, and I guess that's the play on the title. There are two different kinds of face behind the mask. When Yanosh thinks of the face behind the mask, he thinks of his scars, his physical face, And when she thinks of it, she thinks of the real hymn, his good heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Yanosh's conscience is now awakened again by his love for Helen, and he goes back to his gang and is like, boys, I'm out. I'm going to clean my whole act up, and he is. He is out of the life of crime for good.
Speaker 1: This always works. You can always walk away from a life of crime. We know that from so many pictures.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny because he tries to tell Jeff like, hey, you're going to get what you always wanted. Now, boys are yours again. You're in charge now. But you get the sense that Jeff maybe has enjoyed coasting on Yanosh's crime skills and just sniping from the sidelines. Now that he's in charge, he's mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, now Jeff will have to deliver as the boss of this crew that has become accustomed to a higher level of success. So, yeah, good luck, Jeff. Let's see how this works. Out for you.
Speaker 3: It's what he wanted, but now that he has it, he's not happy. He's just doing, but he can't stop Yanosh from leaving. Yanosh has a house out in the country and plans to move there with Helen. Yanosh gives his new address to Dinky in secret and says, if you ever you know, you ever need me, you ever want to get out of the life, look me up here. So Yanosh and Helen make their plans. They pack things up, They make plans to move out to a house with green shutters. They talk about this detail and Yanosh oh he buys a secondhand car, one with a radio because he knows Helen likes to listen to the radio so much. Meanwhile, at crime headquarters, Jeff is stewing again. He got what he wanted, but he's still angry. He starts digging around through Yanosh's old things and he finds something curious. He finds the business card of a police detective. This is the card that O'Hara left for Yanosh in the hospital way back when. But not understanding what it is, Jeff jumps to a conclusion, and that conclusion is Janosh wanted out of the business because he is ratting the gang out to the cops, and Jeff says, I figured it out. We got to get revenge against Janosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, the cryptic nature of that original scrawl message, now out of context, is interpreted to me, oh, Yanosh is in a league with the police.
Speaker 3: That's right. And here's where the potential happy ending turns to tragedy, as it must in a movie like this. Jeff and the gang find Dinky and they torture him for information about where to find Yanosh. Finally they threaten to burn his feet in the fireplace, and he tells where yan Osh and Helen are hiding. So the next day yan oshan Helen and an adorable scruffy dog by the way, really old dog, big cute dog. They move out to their house in the country you never you know, and they like settle in and everything's so happy. You never want to be a movie character saying it's all so perfect unless you're in the last like two minutes of the film and I say, we have another fifteen twenty to go here.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, not good. But yeah, they seem like the this seems to be the dream, right, the dog, the house. There's a scene though, where Janosh tells Helen that she doesn't have to do her bead work anymore because she'll have this house to run, and part of me was kind of like, yeah, no, she know. She had this whole bit where she talked about how much joy she derived from her work. But I likes it. It's a nineteen forty one film. It's supposed to be well intended by it. But yeah, I think she can still do her beadwork.
Speaker 3: So everything is beautiful until knock on the door and it's Jeff. Jeff arrives and he makes menacing comments to Yanosh. They have a confrontation, but it does not escalate to violence.
Speaker 1: He leaves.
Speaker 3: He says like, I won't even waste a bullet on you. But when he gets back to the car, when Jeff gets back to the car with his boys, they revealed that they had planted a bomb in Yanosh's car. It's wired to the radio. And then the gangsters are driving away and they conclude that they're done with Dinky, so they throw him out of the moving car onto the highway. It's unclear if they thought they had killed him or if they meant to leave him alive. I wasn't sure there did.
Speaker 1: They shoot him first in the back.
Speaker 3: Think, so do you hear like a you don't see a gun, but you hear a gun sound effect? And then they throw him out of the side of the car. But Dinky manages, despite his injuries, to get to a nearby service station and place a phone call. And then the logistics of this climax scene get really complicated. Dinky calls a neighbor of Janosh's. I guess Janosh and Helen don't have a phone yet. He calls the neighbor. The neighbor cranks his car up, drives to Yanosh's house, picks up Yanosh drives him back to his house to take Dinky's call, only for the call to be like, don't start your car, Yano, she don't use your radio, And unfortunately it's a it's a Godfather scenario, you know, it's Apollonia in Sicily. Janosh rushes back home to stop Helen from using the car. But Helen, she's been loading things into the car. She wants to listen to the radio. She turns it on and there's a terrible explosion and she dies. So it's incredibly.
Speaker 1: Sad, and the dog dies too. Like that makes it even more heartbreaking, obviously, because she's in the car with the dog and she's like, all right, scruffy, let's turn on the radio. I love listening to the radio. And yeah, explosion.
Speaker 3: So now Janosh's only hope of love and happiness is gone, and he decides there is only one thing left for him and it is revenge. This leads to the final sequence of the movie, which is the airplane revenge plot. So Jeff and the gang have plans to fly an airplane somewhere for some are they doing Are they trying to get to a job or are they trying to do it get away?
Speaker 1: I thought it was more of a getaway, like we got to flee to Mexico. Boys, that's the desert. But I mean, they probably have some jobs lined up there. They got to keep working, gotta stay busy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't remember. But they're in a plane for some reason. And Yanosh, remember he's a pilot, he can fly a plane. He impersonates the pilot and he takes the role flying the plane that all the gang is in except Dinky's left behind. But all the bad guys in the gang, they're in the plane and he flies them out to the middle of nowhere in the desert, landing the plane when it has no fuel left, and then he explains to them their predicament. He's like, there's no fuel, there's nowhere to go. I just want you to know I have my revenge.
Speaker 1: And I believe they actually filmed the sequence out in the Arizona desert, so this is like real desert. I think we get some stock footage some desert from when they're flying around, but then yeah, we're out here on the sands.
Speaker 3: So the gang is furious, but they have nothing to do, you know, they can't get out of the situation. So they tie Yanosh to the plane. They start exploring in different directions, but they just get you know, beaten down by the sun. They find no not a hint of civilization anywhere nearby. They start fighting over water rations, turning on each other, shooting at each other, and it's a real desperate scene. Now, finally, there's a thing we established earlier, which is that Yano sent a note to O'Hara, to the police, to his old friend saying, hey, if you want to find the gang who's been doing these robberies, come to this place in the middle of the desert. Here are the coordinates at this time on this day. And so the police take him up on that. I guess they're like, surely, yeah, let's believe this anonymous tip. So they arrived by plane several days later, finding all of the gang and Yanosh dead. And when they find to Jeff in the desert, collapsed in the sand, they observed that he was trying to escape, but they say he just kept walking in one big circle. It seems thematically loaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and leading up to this moment we get some great desert sand and hour glass imagery which I also really like tickets a little artsy here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when O'Hara finds Janosh's body, there's a note waiting for him explaining explaining who he is and saying like, hey, remember me when we first met, you were kind to me. Wanted to thank you that for that, and also to repay you the five dollars that I owe you. And you know, however long ago that was. I don't know if they make explicit how long how much time has passed in between, but O'Hara is reminded and he he says, it says you were kind to me. These men here they were not, and he says, I have forgotten either, And so the music swells on a scene of the men standing in the shadow of the airplane in the middle of the desert, and it's a it's a very bleak ending. Though there is one happy element to it, which is that I don't remember if if we get an indication whether Dinky survives in the end or not. But he does. Janosh does have a big pot of money and he oh no, wait, no, there's reward money for the capture of the gang.
Speaker 1: He arranged it to go to Dinky's mother.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, so he has the reward money sent to Dinky's mother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there is this sense, and I'm going to take it. I'm going to assume it works out that Dinky's mom is going to get to fix up the chicken farm. He gets to go out there and settle down, support his mother, live there, and in his own way, live happily. Ever after, you got to take your victories where you can find him.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, that's it. That's there is a glimmer of happiness in this mostly bleak ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, yeah, that's the face behind the mask. You know, it's uh, you know, Columbia Pictures B movie, but it has as has a great look, has some very nice performances, and it great Peter Lori performance at the center of everything obviously, uh, and you know it it it's it's very much uh, you know, it's very much on the rails. And like I say, it's a short run time, but it does give you some stuff to chew on it. It does, in its own way examine some fairly complex issues and uh, you know, morality and uh and and ambition and and even the American dreams. So it's uh, it's a much better film than I was anticipating. Like I was, I was expecting something that was just gonna mostly be centered in the Lori performance, you know, where I might just be appreciating it for its own sake. Is this is sometimes the case with great character actors, you know, like sometimes it's just a gem in the rough and you appreciate that gem for what it is. But I think as a whole, the picture's quite good. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Can I actually revise my judgment about something we said earlier? We said we said that the movie is not subtle, and I think that that's true about a lot of things about it, but there are elements that are subtle. I think actually what I would say is that some things about it are incredibly unsubtle, Like it has very overt themes and very overt use of the tools of cinema, music and you know, and you know heavy like visual foreshadowing and things like that. Some of that stuff is not subtle. But there is also some subtle stuff that you know, you get by implication, the death of Jeff at the end, you know, walking around in circles. They don't state that connection to the theme too overtly. And also some things about Peter Laurie's performance, like in some scenes he is just very overtly like stating his emotions and motivations and performing them very forcefully. But in other scenes, I think there is some subtlety. There's some subtlety about like exactly what is so beautiful to him about Helen's attitude. You know, that's not all stated explicitly, like he mentions her optimism, but the stuff about like the way that she finds the best in everything that seems to kind of like remind him of his earlier self. But like he never says that explicitly, So I don't know, I think there's some good subtle stuff.
Speaker 1: Actually this is interesting because we might in a way be getting back into the idea of what is noir. You know, and you know, you think about these black and white pictures with you know, deep midnight blacks and you know, contrasted by the white, and you know, we think about like, you know, good and evil, but then all of these like areas of ambiguity in between, even though you know, obviously noir pictures often also play with severe absolutes as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some stuff is very heavy handed and some stuff is more subtle. In fact, I wonder to over extend the metaphor perhaps I wonder if you could almost think of this as kind of like a stage magician, that a stage magician is going to be through misdirection, being very flamboyant with what they do with one hand in order to you know, sort of keep your attention off of what they're doing with the other hand. Could that could that be the case with some noir storytelling like we see here, that it makes the subtle elements all the more the more emotionally resonant, that they're kind of hidden by this heavy handed, overt storytelling style in some of the other choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a pretty solid way to look at it. And obviously we'd love to hear what listeners have to say about all of this, you know, think about it in terms of your favorite noir pictures, be it you know, old timey noir or neo you know, the various noir elements that you'll find in various works of science fiction, anime, and so forth. Right in, we'd love to have that discussion with you and think about it as we proceed through the month of November. Is there another or neo noir picture you would like for us to consider on Weird House Cinema, you know, in the future, right in, and let us know. For instance, I was my backup for this one was going to be a Coen Brother's picture, and at some point I think I would like to come back and do a Cohen Brothers picture. Some of my favorite filmmakers and a number of those films are very close to my heart.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I know exactly what movie you have in mind. Yeah, we could come back to the Coen Brothers in a number of ways.
Speaker 1: Actually, Oh yeah, yeah, just a reminder to everybody that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. And if you want to see a full list of the films we've covered over the years, and sometimes a peak ahead what's coming up next, go to letterbox dot com look for our username there it is weird House and you'll find that list. Likewise, if you're on Instagram, follow us at STBYM podcast. That's another way to keep up with what we're doing in the Stuff to Blow Your Mind feed in general, be it Core episodes or Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,