Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my ball in a fried egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Friday Friday Friday Brian egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host Andy Johnson. Today I am excited to be joined by Will zl Taurus. Will is a I don't think you probably need to know who Will is. He's a great PGA Tour player, obviously has dealt with some injury issues the last couple of years. With us back we talked through him coming back to the PGA Tour. He'll kick off his season at Palm Springs at the AMAX, and we will you know, it will be fun to watch him come back to the circuit. Obviously one of the great major championship golfers in the sport. So looking forward to Will hitting back to the PGA Tour. And was great to chat golf with him for about an hour and a half. So before we get to Will, now's a great time be a better golf fan this year. Join Friday Golf Club. It's our membership, it's our community. It is a place to talk about golf on our forums, read more about golf, and have more fun with golf. Obviously, the PGA Tour is kicking off this week at the Sony Open. We will be having a Friday Golf Club one and Done league. So Friday Golf Club gets you all sorts of content, it gets you access to our community, and it also gets early access to events which are kind of kicking off throughout the early part of this year. So if you're into golf, if you you know, kind of want to get more involved with what we do, Frida Egg Golf Club is a great place to do it. It's one hundred and twenty dollars a year and you can join at the Frida Egg dot com without further ado. Let's get to will ZL Tours, all right, will I think the billion dollar question, how how are you feeling? How's the back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it's a little more than a million now. No, it's good, It's really good. It was a long three years. I think if you take it back to twenty to twenty one was really the first time I heard it. Twenty two is when I blew it out. When I first had my surgery and twenty three, the surgeon said, hey, look if we get two to eight years out of this before, like, I just don't want to play a fake disc in a twenty at the time, twenty six, twenty seven year old, Like that's just not what we do. I'd rather you like actually be a candidate to blowing them out and then we go ahead and we just know for sure. So it lasted two years and then I ended up doing the fake disc route, which a lot of guys have done it in their neck like Jack Eichel in the NHL Stricker just got his in his neck. Tiger announced that he had one done, and it's a game changer. I mean, it's like all these guys like when you're doing all these like stretching for your back and whatnot, like every modality that you can think of, I've done it. Like I'm at that point with it where I'm like, look, I've I've purchased my back at this point, like to get back to this point. So, I mean, I think the thing that has helped me a lot was I just all of the height that I had in my disc was just gone, Like I had a back of basically like a fifty year old, and so I needed to figure out a way how to get the hype back. Otherwise it was like, hey, we're either going to have to fuse you, which is the death sentence basically at my age, or you know, we want to wait as long as we can, as we think the technology is going to get better. Had I waited or had I done this a few years ago, like, yeah, maybe I wouldn't have been in this situation now. But the thing I would say is that the technology only got better. So like this go around, you know, it was eight weeks of no putting and then I was back putting. When I did the micro diskectomy. I was out for five months before I touched the golf club again. So I mean, this one was a little bit harder because mentally than it was physically, because you know, the other one it was just kind of like, all right, you're trying to get back to where you were. This one is like, hey, we're fixing something in here and we think it's going to work, but we don't really have a lot of data on it, at least at your age. And the part that I thought was so cool was that I came back like a three quarters of an inch taller, like literally, so I'm not lying. I'm actually six to now, you know, but the thing that like that's got to bump it to six three. Yeah, I know, right, but it's it's kind of funny how like when I saw some guys after your time off like gutten taller, I'm like, yeah, I have, but no, I just I think the all of we checked all of the boxes in the twenty twenty hindsight, you could look at it and go like, yeah, we could have done this faster, but it also wouldn't have been this effective. So like for two and a half three months, I literally just played as much golf as I possibly could, and the surgeons were like, hey, we want you to go find your limit, like go walk, go push it, you know, push a car, like just don't carry a bag. Like we're over that at this point. So I mean I just went out and played as much golf as I possibly could. I mean, we we messaged a little bit of like I just went and played anywhere new and fun and just kind of made the game fun again and was traveling with some buddies. So it was cool. It was actually kind of a fun recovery as opposed to like kind of it on my ass and you know, waiting for you know, towiling golf club between my hands until I get the okay to go.
Speaker 1: You've been in this competitive golf mode since you were like nine ten years old, where you know, kind of golf is a you're out there trying to get better all the time. What was it like playing personal golf where you're just playing golf?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. I mean I think through COVID I got back to playing more fun golf again, and I kind of lost that just through all of the back stuff and having to work on the swing and like, you know, show up one day and feel like I've got to hit all these balls and then oh man, my back's killing me. Gotta take some time off. So I kind of had that taken away from me. And that's how I've always been is like would you would I be? You know David Price, who the rules to Pischon Tours, a head pro at the club that I grew up at, Benry in Dallas. He basically told me that in college because he went to the University of Texas. He said, Ben Crenschat would go play thirty six holes and he was just the athlete, like he would go find ways to make par he'd you know, go make up and downs. And then you'd have Tom Kite who'd hit golf balls for twelve hours until he'd need a new sandwich because the grooves were gone. You know, those were the two opposites that I saw. And he was like every pro that I've ever talked to, whether it's been Landy, Watkins, Leech, Travino, go play. And so that's always kind of been my mindset is it's just always been kind of like play it for fun. And I just kind of lost that for a while just because it was like go work on your swinging, figure out how to get out of pain, whatever. But you know, going to cal Club, going to Cyprus, Albert National, Childress Hall, you know, Dallas National just reopened. I remember at Brook Hollows. So it's been fun. You know, it's been kind of fun bouncing around and playing some cool places and you know, kind of the for fun of it, I guess, you know, kind of the get done with the round and go have a beer with the guys type thing. That's the stuff that we all kind of enjoy and sometimes it's kind of easy to get lost in that into her life a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you have a couple favorite places that you saw that maybe you didn't know a tout about, or you know that just knocked your socks off?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean shoulders now or shoulder saw was really really cool to see. The Dope course when we went, it was hot and windy, it was hard. The hands course there is we it wasn't open yet. I think it just opened for play about now, or maybe a couple of months ago. But I mean it is just so fun to go up there, you know, have a caddy go walk twenty seven one day, you know, mess around a little bit, play alternate holes. You know, stuff like that was really cool. And then you know, going from the all natural to kind of the opposite of doctor Howard's course, which is all fog yo man made insanely manicured to the nines. You know, he did a little article and a little deal on his golf course and he just wants to make it for him, like him and his family, and it's it's just it's fun. It's cool to see the polar opposites of it all. And you know, Dallas in particular has had a lot of building going on with was it Blue Jack Ranch, and then we have Maverick going in. We've had p Day, Frisco go in, you know, so we've had a lot. I mean, so I think on that side of it's kind of fun seeing the development side of it, of the place reve life for the last twenty years of school. But on the other side of it. Tool On the other side of it too, which we kind of talked about earlier before we got on, is all we have is land and a lot of oil and a lot of money in Texas. So there's a lot of golf courses and a lot of people moving here. So it's only going to get better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like the new golf course boom of Texas is kind of just starting. As you know, people find more and more pockets of sand or really interesting land, whether you know where it be. There's just you know, you look around on the internet at land. There's a lot of land in Texas, as you said, has it over the course of these couple of years. You know, being in a position where you're probably thinking about golf or you are thinking about golf a lot more than you're playing about it or playing it. Have your thoughts about golf changed at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know what's funny. I mean it's a really good question because when I got out was during COVID LID was just kind of this talked about idea. You know, there's, hey, there's a Saudi back golf league that's getting started. What, oh, okay cool? And then fast forward literally two years later, and all of a sudden, I'm in a meeting in Delaware with you know, thirty other guys trying to figure out like what's the best path forward for the PGA Tour. And it's kind of like, holy cow, Like I've the four or five years. I know that, especially when you hear someone when they're like young, like, man, I've really lived through some stuff. I'm like, No, the last five years has been crazy, Like I've really kind of been around some some wild stuff for or at least in my sport. But no, I think going and playing and I would say playing new golf, old golf, it's opened my eyes to the fact of I think when we first for having the conversations of the driver ball, and it was first presented to the pros in general, it was presented in a way where it was like, we're gonna take everything so far back that it's like, hey, we need to take this little steady rise and we need to get this thing so far back down so that all of these seventy four hundred plus yard golf course isn't you know now it's seventy six if they're brand new, you know, what do you know? How do we minimize that? And I think at the time, the way how it was presented was hey, a plus people see, you guys are gonna be on board. This is what we're gonna do, and it was kind of like a whoa, whoa, wha whoa, Like let's break down piece by piece. And obviously you have the side of you know, the manufacturing side where they're trying to protect you know, hey, this is how we've done things for a very long time. You have the maybe you could say purist if you will, where they're saying, hey, these old school golf courses, you know, these bunkers where people were supposed to be hitting drivers, you know, neck and neck with even regular golfers are carrying these bunkers now. So I think where the middle ground has come is that it's not so much, and this is how it should have been presented in my opinion. And again this is just somebody from the PGA tour perspective. I'm not in the mass audience. I come from a community of two hundred and fifty. Looking from this side out, I guess I would say that they're trying to get what basically is a one yard increment every single year to just flatten, just get it to where it goes to maybe half a yard for ten years. The manufacturers are going to figure out this difference. They're too good to not figure it out. I just think at the time that was so much where the example that I used was like take number eleven at bay Hill. Now number eleven at bay Hill is a terrible example, but we had the player, we had this meeting in bay Hill. So this was my argument, and I've been saying it for three years, so I'm just gonna stick with it. But the argument that I had is that I always hit driver there. I aim at the left water and I peel a fade, knowing that if I overdo the fad it's going to go on the right bunker. Right. Well, the difference is is that the guys that all of a sudden if now that ball is going to be drawn back, the other guys who were hitting driver were all of a sudden, I was hitting wedge maybe nine er and in I have hit lob wedge in there when it's been down. When now I'm moving that back to nine eight seven, whereas the guy who was hitting nine eight seven before is now hitting seven six five. I'm like, I will take that fight all day long. You know, if someone's two clubs shorter than me, like, that's just going to benefit the longer guy, which I think is when Rory kind of switched his stance a little bit, going from really anti to four. I kind of once it was kind of presented in a way that made sense. Then I think that's where I was like, Okay, I get it. I didn't want someone to be like, hey, what driver do you play? Like, well, I played a new one, but it goes if you try, it's going to go twenty yards shorter. And it's like, well, how hell are we supposed to sell golf clubs as pros, you know, being ambassador's form, Like, that's not if they were to pull that back that far. So I think that's where like the communication up front at first was a little rough, and then I think it finally refined itself. But I know that that's where it's like when you talk your question was more about the game of golf in general, but I know I took it to that direction. But I think with me, it's like kind of seeing the old and the new coming in in Texas. That's been on the forefront of my mind a lot.
Speaker 1: I think also when you're a competitive golfer, your job is to get the ball in the hole in the fust amount of shots, and like you're playing professional golf. Like I if I was a professional golfer, I think I would have a hard time wanting anything to change because with the with the clubs I have, the equipment I have, I got here, I got to the highest level of the game, and I understand that sentiment. I do think, like the reality when you play recreational golf, and if you're aware of what's going around you, you see, like I have buddies who are like sixteen handicaps who hit the ball three hundred yards and it's like where they hit it is like a complete crapshoot, you know, it goes like it goes miles offline, and it's like, well, like this probably isn't it. It's not. I think like maybe the messaging problem is that it isn't just a professional golf issue in the distance the thing I struggle with on the professional golf level. And I'm curious where what you think about this is like the way the driver heads evolved even during like your time out there, where this for the forgiveness has gotten so great that it almost has become less It has become less and less important to hit the center of the sweet spot on a driver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it definitely has gotten easier. I think you know what's funny is like I've had this conversation with multiple people from the USGA that are just buddies, just you know, kind of shooting the breeze, and that they've asked me, like, what's your stance? I'm like, you want to know how to get under four hours? Real quick? Draw it back to where the longest guy is two hundred and sixty yards, Like that's real easy, Like instead of this walking back eighty yards to this new tea that you guys are so proud of that costs one hundred grand to build. How about we played the old tea and then that saved this a little bit of time there. Now that walking in between holes gets faster, I'm all for ball going way shorter, but it would be you know, it has to be done the right way. I think. Where my the issue where I kind of got lost with it is when the talk of bifurcation in general, I'm like, you look at it in terms of a player development. Does a kid who let's say is getting really like, let's say there's just a pro level a PG tour, decides to bifurkate. The problem with that is in general, does a kid now play what's in theory inferior equipment while they're in college and they're going through development to get to the PGA tour, or do they play what's in thought of superior equipment and then they get to the tour and they play something completely different? So like there's no win there. But when it comes to yes, like are there more people just randomly hitting it miles offline and really really far? Yes, but I would my personal stance of it is extremely drastic and probably would be something that would be totally ignored. But I'm like, look, when I'm at home and I'm playing in Dallas, I'll play thirty six holes in five hours by myself. Like I love playing fast and I love whizzing around as much as I can. I don't like playing the back tease if I played the afternoon round either, just because I want to mix it up on some holes. But so that's where I'm like, look the amount of times that I swear I got I'm on a par three on tour and it's like we're like walking it off and it's like perfectly two hundred, like right on the number. I'm like, are you guys trying to get here? Like I'm just kind of curious, like like why is it always two hundred, like right on the number, Like you might have like a plus six or a minus six for the updown or whatever, but I'm like it's always right there. But yeah, I mean, I do agree that miss hits has gotten easier. There is a little bit of the bombing gouge that has definitely helped a lot in terms of strategy. You know, like when I my first tour event I ever played in, It's twenty seventeen at Rivira Number ten. I think it was like sixty percent went for it and now it's like ninety five percent or going for it, and so there is a little bit of that aspect to it. But yeah, I mean when you see something kids in college and they're just like they're just popping off like one eighty five one ninety ball speeds, that part of it is ridiculous. Like that's something that I'm just like, yeah, I see the trend. I know where this is going. But then it's like you always have to think about the common golfer too, because it's like we're at a golf boom post COVID, we have most golfers we've ever had, you know, playing in the United States. Ever, like, let's not make this a detriment. And I think at first that's kind of how it got presented, was now everyone's going to hit it way shorter, and it's like that's not like, let's not piss off the people we just got, you know. So I don't know, I I wrestle with it. I don't know for the recreational golfer, I am intrigued to try the prototype ball. I haven't I to be totally honest with the titleists, will probably give us some prototypes pretty soon to just kind of try and get our feedback. They won't be the final ball, they always do that, but they're really obviously looking at the future. Forty pits in that crew there are so freaking good that That's why I'm like, what are you going to to do? Like drop back for a year for three yards and then they're going to find a way to get it figure that out, Like, yeah, I might go a little crooked, but no one's going to really notice that. I mean, if anything, guys can be like, god, I just need to figure this out my golf game, Like what is this? You know?
Speaker 1: So if the history of ball regulation and golf can teach us anything is that if you give engineers like specs to to innovate against, they're going to end up in the same spot that they're in.
Speaker 2: And that was the best one ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just it's going to be the same by the time we get there. And I just I agree with you in the sense of what if you wanted to make an impact, you had to get super aggressive. It should have been like and nobody would have gone for it. But if you had said, we're gonna knock five percent off drivers where all of a sudden we're talking about like somebody who hits a three twenty is sixty yards shorter. You know, then all of a sudden you would get somewhere with pace of play like you talked about, the ball would go further less offline. And I think then, like what you were talking about with the with the I'm going to nine iron, they're going to six or seven. If you're going down to a let's just call it like a a six iron and they're going to four iron, that fairway rough dynamic might have like a little bit more of a sure quill waiting right for sure. And that's like the game got. The game got so far out of balance that I I don't know how you put the genie back in the bottle without a like huge change. And I do I do agree with you on on the the the kids growing up, like what what do they do? But I think baseball, I mean, like I'm I'm actually would be curious to hear like a baseball scout talk about like how do they how do they figure out which kids can transition from aluminum to wood bats without like losing power? You know, Yeah, it's fascinating. I didn't expect to get there, get here, there, get to this topic. This's early, but I you know, before we I mean, we could talk about this for for hours. But I I'm curious, you know, you with these back injuries, I imagine that you've worked on your putting a ton. Yeah, and I think, like, listen, the putting. Your putting has been uh, you know, straw on the interest of of widespread audience over the years. You switched a broom, and I think like one of the things that is fascinating people like get mad about people switching your broom, but like you're learning a completely new motion. It's a completely different style of putting. Like you've put it one way your whole life. You go to you know, you went to obviously the arm block, and then you went to the broom. How much more comfortable are you now after a couple of years than say that first year when you switched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much more comfortable. I just have a better understanding of how to use it. I started working a little bit with Blair Phillip on my putting this go around this offseason, and he's taught me so much. I mean, just a lot of ownership and kind of like how to use a broom. I think I had just kind of figured it out myself talk to some of the older guys and kind of how they had used it, and then just kind of gone from there, you know, talk to Sam Han from you know Lab and I. You know, the thing that's so cool about it is that you kind of still have to make it your own. And yeah, it was a completely different tool to learn how to use. And I think like the part that's fun about it now is I've always been really linear and I've I've always anytime that I got really off, I would not be able to see my like a straight line, and so it would be like that on comfort would kind of come from there, and so I think when I went to the broom, it just immediately cleaned up, where everything just gave me like straight lines to just kind of aim at every single puts a dead flats straight putt. And so kind of what I've worked on with Blair over the last couple of months is like, hey, get a PhD. And how you see greens red and how you see your lines better? And that immediately kind of freed me up to be way more process oriented as opposed to like, oh I hope I make this, you know, like that kind of you know, four foot lag is like I used to jokingly call it, you know, So it's like I think the part for me now is it's like I had kind of tried so many different things for a while with putting that I needed to try something new and then stick with it and then immediately it clicked. And learning how to use it, I think, is something that it's like it's a skill, like it's it's like anytime that I go back to like old putting mechanics, like I will pull the living crap out of the ball, like it's it's really funny, like it's like this thing is like I'm holding this in. There's two ways to basically putt with a broom at least like how Sam Honill tell you is you have the right hand motor, which that's just kind of sweeping from underneath, and then you have the triangle, which is kind of how Adam Scott putts and how I try to mirror it putting. And at that side of it is like everything just kind of gets locked in. You see your line, and then you go from there and you rock it, and I think that's just it's made it so simple for me, and that's the biggest difference. And so when I was kind of like, I didn't really putt very well through kind of the start of this year, and I was I was hurting pretty bad. I mean, I probably shouldn't have even really started this year. But I think the thing that this time has given me is just a lot of time to just work on my short game in general and really learn how to use that thing. And so you know, when you're in Dallas and you have guys like Scotty and Jordan and some other you know, really good players, you kind of learned really quickly where your game's at, even if you're not playing in tournaments. And so yeah, it's made putting fun again. That's the thing for sure. I think is probably the best way to kind of put it.
Speaker 1: I could you you obviously throughout your life have been you know, the life that you know, since I've been covering off a sublime te degreen player, like as good as it gets in the world at you know, driving a ball iron play. What was it like in your kind of lowest moments with the putter, you know, particularly I imagine when you had yet to make the PGA Tour, what what was that frustrate What did that frustration feel like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know the part where it got or where it gets hard. I wouldn't even solely just put it as putting as much as it was just like getting there, because it was like, okay, like, yeah, you gotta go play Monday qualifiers at this point, or go play Canada. Well you gotta go shoot twenty five hundred. They're pitching putts, you gotta you gotta find a way to get the ball in the hole no matter what. So doing the Monday shooting sixty six is and going being on a flight home that afternoon really wasn't that fun. And so having to really kind of work my way through that kind of gave me a lot of the belief in what I was doing. Now. Of course, there are moments where it's like, yeah, like what the hell is going on? You know, I work my tail off and I'm you know, playing terrible. I think that's where it just gives you the appreciation of when it's like you have those moments to like win a tournament or whatever where it's like, yeah, I've been through it like this, these are the this is the scards issue that I have. But I've always succeeded, like at every level that I've played at, where it's almost like, you know, it's like, oh, we had a decent junior career, Well he didn't want won the US Junior and a bunch of amateur events his senior year. Going into his freshman year of college, well he was okay in college. You want a couple of times like other players have done a lot more at wake, and then it was like all of a sudden, I leave early, I have a year where I try to turn pro that didn't really work out. I finally get my status through Cornfiry, then I have COVID, and then I'm stuck on Corn for another year. So like there was kind of a little bit of like more so just dealing with the junk of just being a pro where it's like, Okay, when's my next start? How am I going to go? You know what? You know, here's my end goals. So like when things weren't really going that well, you still kind of like, all right, I've always succeeded no matter where I've been, Like I've wanted every level you know, I'm going to find a way to get there somehow, someway, even if it's an insane belief. But that was just kind of where I was with it, and I tried a lot of different things. You know, I worked with a lot of different coaches, but I think like the simplest method that I've come up with, and it's like it's just natural, Like now, that's just it's like when I picked that up, it's actually made whenever I pick up a short putter better, you know. So it's just it's stuff like that where it's like I know how I like to putt, and as opposed to trying some other method or hey, this doesn't work, let's try something completely new, it's like, now, let's just you're really good at this, let's stick with that.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny. I I always, when I was younger, struggled with putting and I went to a belly putter for a period of time. I'm showing my age here. I tried that when I came I tried it. Yeah, when I came out of it, though, I was so much better with a short putter. I've been like, you know, I feel like I've been great with the short putter ever since then. And it's like sometimes even just trying different stuff helps you with the you know, it's like the opposite of everybody's like just go lock yourself on a putting green and hit the three footers. Well, like sometimes that does not help, you know, Like yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think, yeah, I think where for me, like when I look back on kind of where I used to just be so results oriented as a kid, Like everything I did was results oriented and it was like, oh, I got to get this to get that, And it's kind of like it's a good reminder for where I'm at back on tour right now, where it's like, you know, we don't really know what the schedule kind of looks like in general, let alone especially for me where it's like Okay, you've got a major medical you're gonna get in all the regular events where it's like I'm leaving Sunday to go to Palm Springs. Am I leaving for two weeks? Or am I leaving for six? I don't know? So you know, I think you know that part of it is uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I imagine the putting, you know, and just the journey the COVID situation that you dealt with and just the you know, the journey to the PGA Tour, which like a lot of your peers were just some of them were straight, you know, obviously, Scottie. It took a little bit of time, but that journey probably helped you a little bit with the injuries that you've been going through and just your mindset through those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean I would say, you know, I had my when I had my first back surgery in twenty three, I had to go back in for surgery five weeks later for a revision. You know, that time was pretty hard because it was like I'm starting kind of over here with my body. I have no idea where I'm at. My first event back, I'm playing at Hero I finished in last by nine. I'm like, oh god, this year is gonna be interesting. I have no idea what well, you know, what's going to happen. And coming out and having a top ten in a major, you know, finishing second again, you know, I think was pretty solidifying where it's like, okay, like on any given week, I can play good. It's just a matter of let's get healthy. And I really like I was kind of getting by by cortizone shots, you know, where it was like getting them every quarter and that, honestly, like it kind of affected a lot of my putting because I'm standing taller with the broom like you know, putting with something that's forty five plus inches. You know, I would putt for hours and hours like you said, where it's like he'd be on the putting green it's like, oh my god, I missed a three footer. I'm gonna go hitting nine million of them and it's like, well, that's not good for a guy with herniated diss in his back either. By the way, Like this isn't just because I have a big sea bend and you know at the time of my golf swing, it's like this, this is the mixed bag of both. Like I'm not just like hitting a million golf balls and ignoring my putting either, Like if anything, I'm overworking my putting and that's causing more issues. And so like now getting back to like just playing where as opposed to like you know, doing all of that where it's just so much like granular work and putting hours and hours and hours in it's now it's just so nice to just slap the mirror down, check my eyes, you know, do a few speed drills and sick. All right, let just keep a moving. Let's go play some golf. What do you guys want to play for? You know that stuff that I'd missed for years, you know, but like when I really I think in twenty three was probably the scariest it had been. And I made myself busy by going back to school, you know, this go around, I try to make golf as fun as I could with upon my comeback, where it's like, all right, the fun of golf had been taken away from me for two years, Let's go play some fun golf. Like, let's go play some new places, like let's go you know. I had the California and at cal Club for one night, and then the next morning I was picked up by a buddy at five am. I went and played Cyprus like like you know, stuff like that. It's like for the love of the game type thing, you know, getting up early, you know, stuff like that where yeah, it's just kind of fun to do it again. Where I think, you know, there were times where it's like I was so frustrated with my game and my body felt so bad. It's like man, I'm on tour and this sucks. Like this, this is no fun. So getting back to that thing, I think when you've gone through things that even as simple as like driving four and a half hours to save like six hundred bucks on a rental car like seven or eight years ago, it kind of puts things in perspective when you're sitting here now all these years later. You know, TJ Tour equity owner Winter on tour and you're like, damn, I got to sit this one out for six months. It's like, thanks gonna be a lot worse, dude, It's gonna be a lot worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think that a lot. You think you think back to your younger years and some of the crazy things you do when you have to save money. So a stat that, uh is someone on my staff unearthed Joseph Levonia, four player of four golfers in the history of the sport of finished in the top ten in their first three Masters appearance appearances. Do you know who they are?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I don't, so you're one of them, but yeah, you're good. Buddy speak is another one, and then it's Paul Runyon from thirty four to thirty six and Ralph Goodall, also Dallas resident from thirty seven to thirty nine, so very long time. What would you say has made you so successful at Augusta National.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's I mean, for one, ball striking it around that place, like there's been so many different winners. That's that's one thing. But ball striking your way around that place makes putting so much easier. It's incredible. So you know, like I think I think the year I finished second, I played five and five and eleven, and even I think another year I played five and eleven and like one or two wonder in total, Like just ball striking my way around and putting him in the right like Ken high in the right spots, being really good at lag putting for one, I mean, just knowing where to miss it. Like I just feel like around that place, anytime that I've played poorly, it's just blown like forty and I've just misjudged wins like crazy, you know, winds bouncing all over the place like they normally do. But yeah, I just I think the part that I love about that place is that it's like there's it's the one place to go every year and there's never like there never is anything to lose. But it's like, all right, I finished second in three majors. Now I really don't care for looking at silver every night I go to bed, you know, So I think that part of it too early on in my career, having the second that close has just kind of freed me up when I go there. But yeah, I just I love. It's hard not to just fall in love with that place, you know, Like I get so arrogant when I play there, Like internally when I play that, I'm pulling off shots that even my cat he's like there was one year that I was hit it right at the bunk around eight off the tee, and I had a gap like two and a half feet with a bunch of mud on the ball, and and I was like, I'm in thirty second. I really don't care. Like if this ball hits the tree, we make set, we make seven or eight, like we're gonna finish forty fifth, Like like this ball needs to get through the trees. I've hit it through the trees, made Birdie and he's just like sick. You know the memory of Augusta, you know, you know, to get the crystal whenever you make the Eagles too, so like you know, I've drinking out of those whenever in the off season you come home, you're like, damn this, I want some more of this. But Scotty and Jordan too, growing up with them them having the success there right away, I think he's also just kind of freed me up around that place. But yeah, it's just it's just so fun the buzz around that place. Like I think, I it's the event that I embrace the mouse for sure, because I think it's you know, it's changed my life in a lot of different ways, that event. So it's it's kind of one of those where it's like even with all the dynamics of the tour changing, like if I'm not in the signatures, like I may go to the South African Open because the winner gets the spot and the masters in the top three Narder qualified are in the Open Championship, where it's like, yeah, that's what I'm That's what that's why I play this game, Like that's you know, we have a lot of cool stuff on tour and all, but it's like this is this is the main the main treat.
Speaker 1: So something you mentioned earlier is like the frustration of Monday qualifiers and pitch and putt Canadian tour courses where like, effectively, you know, if you shoot sixty six four days in a row, you're going to be right around the lead of almost any tournament at a at a Monday qualifier, you're not even sniffing, you know, oftentimes getting through it.
Speaker 2: I shot sixty four and have not been in a playoff. Yeah, No, it's real. It is real.
Speaker 1: And a lot of that goes to like the level of golf course in this sense of and what I think is is you know you hit on is the ball striking is like Augusta National, the demands that it puts on your shot making, particularly from fairways, because you're I think it's a sneaky, tough driving course, but you have to drive it well, it's a prerequisite. But like if you're hitting balls from fairways, they're rarely from flat lies, and there is like completely right and wrong places to miss it. And then the targets of having makeable birdies are so small, right, very that all pure combination of all those factors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think so like when you take the back nine in particular, there's all you can look like I could dissect like all four pins and this bunker on this hole will be great for this pin, horrendous for the next one, like but the beauty of I would say, like kind of a funny kind of happenstance thing was a couple of years ago, like I had done Tiger's Charity then a little a couple of times up in New York. Was super early on a Monday, and I was just thinking I was gonna have a nice little cruise into my week play the back nine at the Gusts at eight am, and he goes, hey, do you want to have a game, And I'm like, what am I supposed to say? No? Like? And so I ended up joining him for the back and watching him like practice the lags and like go through the different sections, like the putting. Like it was the most worthless nine hole practice round I've ever had personally for my game in terms of what I did that day, because I did absolutely nothing and just was over my shoulder the entire time watching what he was doing like anybody else would do, but watching him dissect the different sections of the greens and the different spots and chipping it kind of confirmed a lot of like what I thought, But it was even more in the sense of like picking his brain on like of little what he would give me, you know, obviously like on twelve, of like where he would aim. Stuff like that. I think was there's just so much strategy that gets involved where it's like to your point, like you can hit something in the fat side of a fairway, but it's gonna be that much more destrimental on your second shot. Like thirteen, if you hug the trees up the left side of the you know, the left middle half of the fairway, you're gonna be sitting on a dead flat lie. Now, granted, it's gonna be a little bit of a kind of a tough wrangle to get in there. But if you hit something over on the fat side of the fair on the right, the ball is so far above your feet that you're like, I got to aim a six iron right at this creek, and I gotta trust that this ball is gonna hook over. But I know that there's wind coming in off the left that I can't feel. There's just a lot of that that goes on around there, and you kind of have to know pick and choose your situations. It's just I think the part like there's just been so many different winners. But to your point, it's the white narrowest golf course you're ever gonna play. Like you have like the fairways like number ten fairway from from like the widest point has got to be ninety yards wide. But if you want to hit it down there to where you have like an eight or a seven are and inn, you have to hook this thing thirty five yards and it needs to carry two seventy five. Like there's a lot of demand it. I guess that goes around there. And the shot shaping, I think is where I excel a lot in. But I will say this the first couple of year, the first year or so, I was there the end of the grain, like it's real, like it is like down like hitting off a downhill on nine like in its mode backup hill, Like it's very real. So I think like for a while, like my wedge player around Augusta was so bad because that would just be like the wedge would just stick in the ground ball right up the face. And it finally had to be like okay, Texas kid, get rid of the four degrees and hinge it into the turf, like learn how to shallow it. But it's just there's so many little intricacies around that place.
Speaker 1: So what you're saying is to play it to hit really good wedges at Augusta, you just have to be super shallow because then that grain's impacting the club a little bit less.
Speaker 2: It just like it's funny, so I I it's you can get some down grain spots that you can just hit some nasty, really like beautiful spinning wedges, you know, short sided shots from around the green, and then you have these like into the grainers where you're like, if this fall kind of rides up the face, this thing could seriously just like land on the green and roll out forty feet. And the thing that I've always told people and asked me, like, what's something you don't expect about Augusta, it's actually more of the fringes. Like their fringes are so brilliantly built because everywhere where they're chipping, they're always making the chipping harder. So like on the left side of thirteen, the fringe falls this way, so like all of a sudden, the second like a ball lands up on the green, it's just immediately going downhill. And then behind fifteen it goes, it tilts back towards the front of the water. So if you land something over the back of the green, you're chipping back, bumping it into the hill. But if it literally gets set of two bounces, it gets won. It's literally in the water. So like there's just a lot of like the Okay, I'm gonna hit this to twelve feet, take my look, and if I make it, I make it. But you know, then all of a sudden on Sunday, that's you know, things might change a little bit.
Speaker 1: But it's as fascinating. I would contend that the worst feeling in golf is when a ball is rolling up the face of your ledge.
Speaker 2: Well you know what was really is so w and Rory hit the wedge on thirteen when he won this year, and he hit it in the water. I didn't want to say like I could see that happening because that just sounds like such a jackass comment to say. But I was like, I've done that. I've totally done that, Like like I know that feeling, or I'm like, ball just glances off the face. I'm like, oh no, that's short and right. I'm like, but I just was laughing watching that where I was like, that is a all of us are feeling from in that moment. I'm like, I literally had done that on that exact doll.
Speaker 1: How would you say your course management philosophy has adapted or is it just stayed the same since you turned pro?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think you know a lot of it. I've I've stayed pretty true to who I am, where I typically will pick really conservative targets, move them to the spot where I'm trying to go, and if I overwork them, then I look like a hero. And that's probably why I hit so many greens, I think. And then the other thing I would say is that I've really learned that when I'm aggressive, like being able to hit something hard and hooking to a left pin, I've always been very good with anything. A little bit softer has kind of been something I've worked on, especially with me having a new back, is just being a little bit shower and being better at just timing up like the shorter three quarter shots, so I you know, like back left pins, front right pins, like obviously as a variety, those are things you love, but I always loved kind of like working them in there. But whenever I kind of got really going. People would always think that I'd be firing at Flags, and I'm still not. You know, so I think like I've definitely gotten to a point where I'm still shaping it both ways, but I'm still picking really conservative targets based off of what you probably think I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I remember vividly like I was, you know, kind of looking through the leaderboard on Saturday at Brookline and you know me as a media member, you know, you on Saturdays of tight tournaments, you're kind of just like throwing a dart at the wall of like, who Who's going to play well? And I remember I was like, uh, I'm gonna go watch will z l Taurus play And that day that was one of the best rounds of golf I've seen in a long time that that course had gotten so Saturday Saturday, I feel like maybe Friday was it Friday, I don't know, one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that week I played, Yeah, I mean not just flat out beat me that week. I was like that whole week, I felt like I played so good. That's why I was like, yeah, every day felt good.
Speaker 1: But that route, you know, it looked like you watch it and it's you're moving the ball right to left, left, right and into all those all the You're hitting it close all over the place, and it was, you know, like full it looked like full command, but really you're you're you're still amy away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so the theory, like, at least this is my theory, and it's a little bit of I'm stealing it a little bit from some other. Like I've heard this from two quarterbacks. I'll say this, one of the pros, one is the college player, and both of them have said that anytime that they've been able to feel like they're able to commit to throwing something one hundred percent, like they have some route that they love that they know that they can just sling one as hard as they can, or a lead a receiver. So my point with that is that it's like when I'm on eighteen at Sawgrass, like most people are probably slinging like an iron up the right or a hybrid, and I'm aiming in the middle of the lake and I'm hammering that fade. Because my theory is if I'm going to fade something, I'm going to do it one hundred percent, Like I want to fully commit to that fade. Not like, oh, I want to steer this draw over, you know. So that's where for me, I think my ball striking, like I've kind of had that mindset where I'm like, hey, it pins on the right, I'm going to aim, you know, five steps left of it, but I'm going to start a fade four steps left that and then if I overcut it, you know, I'm able to commit to hitting that cut, and I know that if I overcut, it's still gonna end up on the right side of the green. And if it's just the perfect amount of faith, then you're like, man, he's firing at everything today. It's like, no, not really. I mean, so I do. I don't really get in the mindset of firing at flags, Like I don't just like drop everything and start going and stuff. I might get a little more aggressive off the tee, but yeah, I just it's just kind of like, give me the best chance to make up and down. That's like kind of the mindset that I have. And it's like firing at this flag from two hundred and not gonna be it, you know. So, I mean I do think a lot of it is just picked, you know. I think there's one guy you said it best where it's like, how do you shoot sixty five on tour and it's you thirty All the par fives, you probably hit a wedge or too close and you make it thirty footer and it's like, that's Devin, and you did one thing that was probably special, and that's the third. And so I think that's kind of where I come from a little bit where it's like kind of the death by a thousand paper cuts. And that's why I played so well in the Majors. Like there was I think it was it might have been that Saturday at Brookline, but like I was actively hitting chip shots away from flag sticks just because I was like, if I go to this flag, like I could hit this thing to thirty feet, but if I just kind of baild this thing out over here, I'm gonna have ten guaranteed. And I would take the ten guaranteed. And then that week I just made the ten footer. So that's where some of that kind of mindset was kind of coming from, where it's like six is gonna kill you, five is not. But the weeks that I played well in the Majors, I ended up making all those part butts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, hard golf's interesting. I you know, my limited career, I always played best in like state ams where I knew I had seventy two holes and a bogie here or there wouldn't kill you, because it's just a different mindset at when the when the challenge, when the course and the conditioning ramps up, where like, okay, I can make a bogie. It almost is a freeing mindset.
Speaker 2: I find like when I played my first US Open at Pebble Beach, I'm going to play so bad in those practice rounds because we've played it as the pro am for something for all those years, Like I'm gonna be I'm just gonna go there. I'm gonna be like, what the hell is this? Like I've been able to make up and down behind eight every single time, Like I can't even keep it on the golf course.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I never thought about it from like a eight. I like, I always think it's like it's kind of weird, you know. I think majors at like when we heard this discourse at Quail last year, majors at host courses are you know, they just lack a little bit of juice. But the thing with Pebble is like the conditioning that you present in in June. Is it's just so drastically different than February.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so intrigued to see what they do over like the next ten years there, like just being a kid who went there, you know, back when it was Peter Hay. Now I obviously you know it's the Hey Tigers, Little nine Hole. I used to go down there in junior camps all the time. So I'm really intrigued to see when they do an update because they know what they do in Spanish Bay right now, Yeah, we're about to and then I feel like that's I guess that's kind of their trial run for the big show. So I'm intrigued. I've always loved Pebble. I've just played so bad every year at AT and T and I love playing it too, but I'm just like, every year I go there, I'm like, I literally grew up here, and I don't think I've had a better finish than like forty eight.
Speaker 1: It's funny. It's just funny how sometimes that that happens to golf, where it's like, yeah, I love the place, but the place doesn't necessarily love you back, Like.
Speaker 2: I should in theory love Quail, And I've played so bad at Quail every time I've been there, Like there's nothing about that place that I should dislike considering my golf game, and I have just played awful, and I'm like, I gotta figure that out. Uh.
Speaker 1: Kind of different type question here. When was the most nervous you've ever been on a golf course and why?
Speaker 2: I got to ask this literally two days ago and we just kind of talked about it. It was literally playing that nine holes with Tiger on Monday because it was just so unprepared. You know. It's like, all right, I'm gonna go kind of meander around augusta ease into my week. It's a big week in general, and it turns into ten thousand people and playing with your you know, longtime hero. So it's like, okay, not ready for that. You know, most people would expect me to say, like, you know, put the putts to win the US Open or whatever. I'm like, no, like those you like, you've hit that put in your mind a million times, Like sometimes they go in. Sometimes they don't like that three would on ten that I had to hit like kind of half ass warmed up to be totally honest with you then turned into playing with him. I'm like kiddish, so I mean, you know, like and I played with him in the US Open. I think when I'm like going about my business, it's different. But when it was just so impromptu, I think that's where I was like, wow, I am nervous, like and I know that he would die laugh and knowing that, but it's like, you know, it's he's he's him, and I'm playing back down. I guess though, with my hero, Like, why wouldn't I be nervous?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always think about Uh. I think it was Adrian Morunk was teeing off at like something like six am on the old course off ten, so like way way the hell out there, and then the Tiger just showed up. And this six foot eight Polish guy you know, is playing golf with Tiger Woods, who you know you probably never in his life imagined he'd be doing that, but he just showed up on the tee. That's it's just that's a cool story.
Speaker 2: We'll say. The thing is so cool about the course real quick is the fact that when you play there in the practice rounds early on, when they haven't opened there, they open it up to everybody, so that I missed the cut at the Scottish Drove Down. I played eighteen at like five pm on like Saturday, and they it was him and JT teed off at six and I mean we had like I was walking back to the Old Course hotel. He and JT were on seventeen green and they must have had one hundred people with them, thirty dogs, kids were throwing frisbees and I was like, this is awesome, Like you just can't get this anywhere. It's like, literally, you have one of the great the greatest player of all time. You have a guy who's a two time major champion, and they're just playing golf with the Old Course at ten o'clock at night and there's a bunch of people just walking down the fairway.
Speaker 1: It's so great, it's so cool. A memory from that open that I will never forget is I walked out of the media center a couple hours after you know, Cam had that crazy win and I'm you know, we're walking. I stayed in the dorms right across from the from the Swolken Bridge that week and I'm walking back. It's down the course and there's like it turned back into a park. It's three hours after the tournament ended.
Speaker 2: They're so crazy.
Speaker 1: There's kids, like little like three year olds playing in the bunker like it's a sandbox, and like I'm thinking about, like where else in the world with this, you know, It's just it's such a cool rule with the park and the the open openness and how Scotland's got that right to rome where people just walk everywhere. You know, it's so good.
Speaker 2: I'm just like walking down fairways and like guys are looking in my golf bag like seeing what iron I hit and whatnot. I'm like, this is awesome. Like you know, some guys might freak out by this, but I'm like, this is so great.
Speaker 1: It's uh you li a Dallas. As we've talked about, what do you think where do you think the best place is for a pro to living practice? And why is Dallas good?
Speaker 2: I mean I would put Dallas as the best in this sense that you get four seasons. You know, Like I was born in California. You know it gets cold there, but you know, if it gets little rainy, it is what it is. But like here, it's like if it's forty degrees, like you still go play, you know, And so I think that's where like and if it's one hundred and ten, you still go play. And so that part of it's really good. The no state income tax obviously is a big draw for a lot of guys. You know, when I think of the other places, I just think Dallas because of the four seasons. That's why I say that, you know, Florida, it's perfect for most of the year. You know, I might get a little cold in the winter in the desert, but like I just think in terms of like what we have, you know, the premier courses that we have, you can plan on every single type of grass, you know, because we're right on kind of that cusp. And more and more courses are going to hydraunics with bermudas or with bent so you know, now all of a sudden you've got bent grass screens that are running, you know, twelves in the summer as opposed to mush. So I think that's why, like for us, it's so good, you know, but you can't go wrong with I would say with Jupiter in terms of practicing, but playing here year round, like you're just gonna get better.
Speaker 1: It's gotta be easier travel too, just being someone who lives in countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I mean middle of the country and yeah, American and southwestl fly anywhere you want basically NonStop. So it's it's tough to beat. And we've got a good crew of guys here. I mean offseason, the games get a little bloody, so it's good. It's it's a really good kind of mix that we have here. But yeah, I would say at least when you have this many guys that are here day and day out, that's a big part of it too, not only just the golf courses.
Speaker 1: You've had a peer of Scotty Scheffler. You guys are the same age. You grew up playing golf with him and Jordan Speith uh regularly. When I would say, when your injuries happened, you and Scottie were effectively, you know, in the same kind of you know, they're really really promising players who haven't gotten it necessarily done yet. Looking at where Scotty's gone the last three years, did you see this coming?
Speaker 2: No? I mean yes, but no, I mean like he always wanted to beat you, no matter like how what it was, whether it was ping pong, golf, like it just didn't matter.
Speaker 1: And so but his.
Speaker 2: Three year run that he's had in terms of always trying to get better, I just like it so admirable because he's such a humble, chill guy that it's like and then he's the stone cold Iceman killer you know when it comes Sunday. But he was always that kid where he wanted to beat you, but it was still just like this acceleration over the last three years has been like it's just it's hard not to love it. But yeah, I mean you want him, like he's such a good dude. Like that's the other part though. He's so approachable, he's so chill, like he's still playing with the same guys, Like he's still East Chipotle probably five days a week, Like he's just he's just a regular old dude. But he just wants to beat the crap out of you at golf. And that part of it, I think is where it's like he's been obsessed at being good and trying to be the best he can be. He's just he's always living in that spot. And I think having a guy like Randy be his mentor for so long. I love Randy. I mean the stories that that guy. You just hang around him and you just gonna laugh, and you're gonna hear golf stories for days, you know. But I think, you know, Randy grew up with Justin Leonard, or Randy had Justin Leonard, you know as his disciple for a really long time. Actually, Randy Smith grew up with my mentor at Benry that Efforts to earlier, David Price. They were kids together growing up in Odessa. So the fact that you know, Scotty and I, you know, grew up together with basically two best friends and our mentors is kind of makes it even more fun. But yeah, he's just like it has just been so freaking cool to watch. You know. I saw him the other day, you know, working at National and with Phil Kenyon and they were, you know, grinding on you know, some Sam Putt lab stuff and you know, just going to work world number one doing exactly what you you know, doing world number one things. And I just say, you think it's so cool.
Speaker 1: Is he's just so chill.
Speaker 2: He's such a cool, humble guy. And it's like, dude, like, can you just be an asshole for like a minute, like you know, like just a minute, like just for me, like just for me, I just want that deep down just one time.
Speaker 1: Is there what is like the thing, you know, besides just how nice he is, is there something about him his golf game that might get overlooked by most people.
Speaker 2: Think gets overlooked.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 2: Hard to say anything was what he's done. I mean, he's always been a really good he was always a really really good chipper potter wedger, pretty good with the irons. But the ball striking and the speed when he got out on tour was it like I would say that development happened from when he got from corn Ferry to on tour and then when he got to on tour it just everything fine, just everything just got better. So it's kind of hard to say that anything was overlooked. His short game, I think, is the epitome of like nothing flashy, but it just produces results. Like you know, just the if you go and you look at the amount of chippins and whatnot, you just kind of go damn, Like you know, like wow, well this wasn't like some super special, you know, crazy flop. It was just like, yeah, you just chipped in like a thirty five footer from off the green, like I just did it again, like I just hoooped a bucker shot. Like but the I think that's where it's like, like even when he's playing at home, like we're playing money games with him, it's just it's it's still disgusting where it's like, yeah, he's gonna make seven eight birdies, like you're just gonna have to beat them.
Speaker 1: You know, it had to be fun having chipping contest as a kid against Scottie and Jordan.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't at all, not even a little bit. But like, yeah, I mean the probably like in terms of like growing up with those guys, just in terms of like when you knew they were special. Jordan, when he was fourteen, shot the course record at bent Tree. Weren't all enough to take carts, took the carts anyways. He hit his first t ball in the wrong fairway, say blew it out right, hits a five one on the front right bunker about like eighty feet away, hits that to the fringe, makes the twenty five footer and then he birdies six out of his next seven and she's twenty nine on the front. And then the part that me and another buddy we always die laughing at was on fourteen, I flew a ball in the hole and it like popped out one to a foot, blew up the lip, and Jordan lipped one out off of the blown up side the lip, and he's like kidding me, And I was just like, yeah, it's all my fault that, you know, you've made one bogie today. But like those little memories like that, like you stay with you forever. Like I brought up to Jordan the other day, He's like, I don't remember that. I'm like, yeah, because you shot have so many sixty threes in your life, you forgot I get it. I get it. But but like, you know, the same thing with Scotty, Like Scotty would go on like always wore he always wore pants to junior events. It didn't matter if it was one hundred and ten, Like dude was wearing pants, carry his own bag, you know. But through I mean there were a few times, like I remember when I was like eleven, twelve thirteen, where he was just thrown up numbers that were like like shooting sixty sixes was like an eleven year old from like sixty three hundred yards. It was just like what you know, So those are the guys that I grew up playing against. So yeah, when you ask if Chip and contests were fun of them, No they weren't, but I definitely they definitely made me better, which is a good thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could put it like them, uh, Patrick Reid, Like there's like the among the greatest short games and you know the last twenty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like Jordan, Jordan makes the most ridiculous shots, Like gambling with him is impossible, Like playing a wolf Hammer game with him is just undeniably awful. But like with Scotty, it's just like he's gonna yeah, it's just it's gonna be like if he makes a mistakes the twelve footter for Pars going in, and then he's gonna bear you the next three. But with Jordan, it's like nine iron on one hundred and fifty yard part three left of the car path, banks it into the slope, pops up on the green and goes in the hole and we had already hammered, and I'm like, great, we'll drop that hammer back. Thanks, you know, lovely, you know. So that's like it's fun though, it makes it makes hammer games all of a sudden when people ask me why I might be dropping. I'm like, I play with Jordan a lot like that is why I'm probably dropping. I shouldn't. I know that we're gambling, but that's why.
Speaker 1: Big Golf News yesterday, Brooks kopka Is stated, what are your thoughts on Brooks rejoining the tour? And uh, did you think that the crib justified?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Was it was it the penalty or that he had to you know, pay the right you know? Was it the right decision?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, first off, I love that he's back. Anybody who loves golf like the fact that he's going to be playing with us again. I love that. I think that's that's great for the game. There's more eyeballs that are going to be on Brooks. That's just it's good for all of us. The punishment side, yeah, I don't like my I do think it's a I do think it's a very fitting punishment, if you will. I don't like. I think any PGA Tour player at this point in time can undeniably say that they just want the best product going forward. What that is we don't know. But if you have the best players, that's that's step one. And I think when people were kind of looking at the merger talks for the longest of time or acquisition talks or whatever you want to call them, over the last eighteen months, or just lack of talking. It's like, what are we what is the PGA tour actually trying to buy? You're not trying to buy their tour. You're not trying to buy their media agreements. You're trying to get all of the players or however many players you want to say, back under one roof. So I think like when you look at it in terms of now where those of us that stayed, you know, and you have the player equity program, which is the massive piece of it. I think that's where like the player equity program is essentially acting as like another pension for the players, but we get to act as equity owners in the tour, so you know, we're voting members. We have full say. This is something that you know, Tiger, a lot of the players fought for. How we got to this point, it would be a million different steps that honestly I couldn't even tell you half of them. But the brilliance sent us the players actually owning their own tour, and that's the first sport that that's kind of ever happened. I think is now kind of takes all of a sudden if you were to kind of look at a lot of us that stayed and kind of made a lot of those like no, they're gone, that's it, And now all of a sudden where it's now a player run, player owned institution. I think any player shouldn't have an issue with it now in terms of where the tour is gonna go in twenty seven, I haven't even met Brian row Up. I mean they've asked me to, you know, catch up with them and talk, and I'm like, I'll meet you in person down the road. I've been out for five months. I don't even know who's in office right now, Like I don't know who's there. You know, we'll catch up, like when that time's right. But but yeah, I just I think having all of us back under one roof is just a win. And the fact that the tour has made it a player equity run or player equity this player equity program has made it to a point where it's like, yeah, this is when these guys come back. It benefits you, So why wouldn't you want them back?
Speaker 1: That's I mean That's the biggest thing, right, is that if you're an equity owner of the tour, it is good for the tour to have Brooks kept get back, you know, it's good for the tour. If John Rahm decided to try and come back. I don't know how some of these guys would come back with their contracts that is, but like you want, you know, certainly, you know, I don't think this is about Scott Vincent, no offense to Scott Vincent, but it's about you know, the select couple guys that actually, you know, move the you know, you know that that a fan would recognize and a fan people.
Speaker 2: Are going to come watch him or come watch Brooks at Farmers Now that like those people would maybe or maybe not be there or the on a focus that PJ Tour Live's going to have on him being back. Like that's that stuff that we need. And I think that's where it's like we for the longest time, you basically were trying to run a golf tour as a public affairs group, needing legal repor needing legal advice, while also being an m and a expert. And it's like if anybody's hiring, we're available. So I think that's where like with Brian, you know, like I've loved everything he's done from thirty thousand feet, you know, I'm I think it's been awesome, but it's like there's just so many changes that are going to be in the works. And my first few years out on tour, like I was on the player Advisory Council going through those meetings and then all of a sudden realizing that the last two hours was kind of not a waste of time, but like it just got everything we just talked about just got nixed within five minutes. It was just kind of like, all right, well maybe you just give you the summary on the back half, and like I'll just keep playing golf, and like I'm not into this institutional stuff, but you guys just have fun with that. But like I just I think at the now that we're at that point where we're able to have these conversations, I don't know how they feel about it. I don't know how if they feel the punishment's right or wrong or whatever. That's kind of not up for me to decide, and I'm kind of glad it's not for me to decide. I just know that I want them playing under our umbrella. The punishments, the punishment. You know, if other guys have issues with it, I'm happy to hear it, but I I don't have an issue with it.
Speaker 1: Jeff Ogilvy said up this podcast once that if about the Player Advisory Council, if you put if you lock twelve people in the room long enough, they could talk themselves into anything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, oh, I have it on. Multiple veterans have walked into those meetings and I'm not saying their names because I love them dearly, but they've walked in those meetings and said, after ninety minutes, you have to start paying me. And they've gotten way way more productive. Like they've got different subcommittees now, like it is run. It's run as an institution as opposed to a golf tour that owns all these assets and trying to figure it out. So it's way way better than when I was there. But so that's why, like when I come back, I'm I'm honestly just kind of looking at it as like, all right, what are you guys doing? You know, I'm happy to give my input where it is, but just so many things they're going to keep changing and I'm just I'm gonna go try to play my best golf and hopefully I get a spot next week.
Speaker 1: You basically have never played on a Ryder Cup or a President's Cup team, which is, you know, unfortunate. I'm curious as a as a spectator of the American Ryder Cup team, do you think that there's like something that Europeans do better or is this just kind of Hey, it's it's a bunch of you know, kind of they just outperformed us on a biannual basis.
Speaker 2: It's I don't I mean, at least the setup for this one was obviously the biggest issue that we can undeniably say that that the at least from minuder standing on the Ryder Cup side, we started messing around with the setup pretty heavily at in Minnesota, I think, yeah, hazelteen in like sixteen, is that right? We started messing with the setup a lot and to benefit us. And then you go to Rome and it's like, Okay, all of our guys hit in an absolute mile and wedging and shipping is not really like the forte of the team. Obviously the best twelve Americans in the world. That's saying they're not the best is subjective, but they basically moved every single par four under four hundred yards or like under three eighty and then they just took all of the four hundred and sixty yard holes and pushed it all the way back to like five hundred, so there's no par fors between four hundred and five hundred. Like basically there was like one or two a day max on the par fours. And it's like that ingenious setup, only like that's just like a point and a half or whatever you want to say. It is right there when it comes to like them just beating us with the camaraderie. I don't know. I've only been on a Walker Cup team. I've been to a President's Cup for the first day in twenty two. They invited me because they would have been on the team, but I got hurt. So I got to see like kind of the inner workings. I guess of how it works in general. You know where you have like here's some stats, guys, Physiogan's over here is our team meeting room, Like just to see all the you know, man, the stuff that they have to do, just see how it works. The Ryder Cup. I don't know I I mean the when you look at like the Walker Cup in general, it's been pretty fifty to fifty over the last like I think thirty ish sessions and then you extrapolate that and then all of a sudden we get absolutely destroyed in the Ryder Cups. So for me, I'm I'm at a little bit of a loss. I thought some of the pairings were maybe like not our best pairings in general. I know, none of this is stuff that you know, This isn't earth breaking stuff. You know that I'm saying, but it's I just felt like there was a little bit too much, too much thought going into there, Like you know, if one guy says, you know, if there's one guy that says, you know, hey, I like, uh, there's a lot of mid irons here. I feel like my mid iron game is strong. It's kind of like do you just tell them no, Like you just tell one of the best players, but one of the best players in the world like yeah, but like stats are saying like not even close, this is not you. And so I think a little bit of that. And I don't mean to like speak for the captains and the vice captains of like why they picked who they picked, But it's a little bit of like why did you pick who you picked? Like, why did you put these parents together? You know what I mean. I'm like, I don't know. I just I And this is me not being somebody who's ever played on a Ryder Cup, but just kind of looking at it and I'm like, I don't know, I even I don't know, but I know that I was it. Next one's no, where's the next one that's in the stakes?
Speaker 1: And then I think it's Hazel Team again?
Speaker 2: Is it back at Hazel Team? Yeah? I can remember Madonna is the President's.
Speaker 1: Cup, right, Yeah, President that you should go see that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's another big boy golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new But Dinah's really cool. I'm actually really excited about the Presidents. Hopefully you'll be playing on this team, you know, that would be that'd be great. But uh yeah, the whole the whole Ryder Cup things that I think there is like a certain aspect of like they just played better for a while, and there were a couple of decisions head scratchers that might have, you know, gotten the US team out of the gates a little slower than they could have. But like those guys played great and that like, that's the thing. I think the difference between match play and stroke play is like the other part of this where it's a different format and like you can you know, go out and play incredible and still lose, you know, And I think that's like the tricky thing with with with this And yeah, I don't know I would agree with the setup. The setup was like a head scratcher.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The Europeans were, I think floored when they saw the setup. Let's get you out of here on one last kind of fun question. In your opinion, who's the best player in the world that nobody talks about? Does get the most well, we can say the most underrated golfer in the world. Underrated just doesn't get talked about as much as they should given the talent level. And when you watch them play, you're like, holy shit, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: So I will say this and I hate ever saying this about putting any like I don't even want to put expectations on the kids. He's such a good kid and he won't even care that is this. But Miles Russell, who's the sixteen seventeen year old he's going to Florida State I'm just telling you, like I grew up with Jordan, I grew up with Scottie rom was the guy when I was in college, Like, this kid's sixteen seventeen, and he's so mature, Like he's way way more mature than I am. Like even when it comes down to the golf course where I'm just like, you're doing stuff that I've like I've paid people to help me with, Like and you're sixteen seventeen, you do it naturally. And the kid's golf kids golf game. He's one of the most naturally gifted kids I think I've ever seen. I know that that's ridiculous because I know you want a tour answer. I'm just telling you this kid is he's another kid who's like he's such a good kid, and he's so good, like just it was it was just one of those rounds where like when I watched him play, I was like looking because we sure we actually share our guy does his in a ile stuff's also my agent and so I've got to spend a whole time with them. But every time I've been around this kid, I'm just like, wow, like you are like you you are, you are sixteen seventeen and you're doing stuff that tour pros can't even do. So, yeah, that's a guy that I'm I'm very excited for. I'm always in that kid's corner, like I'm I'm that kid's biggest cheerleader, like I want I want him to be the next big thing because he's he's such a good kid and he's so good. But there's so many kids coming up in college now. They all got one eighty five ball speed and they all you know, they're all hit it a mile and they're all pluck good. And I'm over there doing my speed drills and you know, hit my wedges and I'm not going to be your three forty guy off the tea anymore. I might be three twenty, but you know, I'll be getting airmailed about all the young kids coming out. That's just how it always is. But yeah, Miles, I'm telling you, Miles, this kid's, this kid's, this kid's gonna be special.
Speaker 1: There is special the uh it'll you know. And I think like in a way, navigating junior golf and college golf for kids in the nil era is like, you know, people will say, oh, it's not challenging because they're getting paid. I think that makes being a junior golfer and a college golfer more difficult because of expectations and just like it's not just I'm going out and having fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, And I think that's where I'm I shouldn't even say proud of them because that's just coming off as condescending. But it's like he just doesn't care about that, about all that other stuff. He just wants to be really really good at golf. And I think when you see somebody like coming in the nil era and they're just like, yeah, this like deal or whatever, I just don't, I don't care. Like that reminds me of Scotty. Scotty's like he just he's like, yeah, I like this hat. You know, this hat has holes in it, it's got sweat stains, But I like this hat. That's the only reason why I wear it. And I love guys like that because it's you know, so I think, I know it's it's crazy to I wouldn't even say it's crazy to say, but yeah, I just this kid, he's got no holes in his game. It's just a matter of time. Like I'm I'm one of those guys on him where I'm like, yeah, I'm I'm definitely gonna be proven right, and I want all you guys to just remember that.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we'll keep those receipts for a couple of years from now. Now we have it, so you'll be able to play the clip. You'll say, hey, I told you in twenty twenty six. Will can't wait to watch you play Palm Springs and see you back out there. I think it's one of the one of the big stories of twenty twenty six and look forward to seeing you have a chance late on Sunday at some more majors.
Speaker 2: Thanks Man, really appreciate it, all right.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to Will for joining and giving us so much of his time. Look forward to seeing him back on the PGA tour at Lakina and PGA West. Big thanks also to PJ. Clark for editing and producing this show. And we'll see you next week.