Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys. You can hear us weekday mornings six to nine am Eastern time three to six am Pacific time.
Speaker 3: But we'll be in for Dan.
Speaker 2: And Crewe today and tomorrow as well too. And of course we're doing it all live from the ti raq dot com studios tire rack dot com.
Speaker 3: We'll help you get there an unmatched.
Speaker 2: Selection, fast, free shipping, free roadh has protection, and over ten thousand recommended installers tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: So we are going to catch up with Albert Breer here coming up in about twenty minutes from now, because you know, he had an article written about Shador Sanders. Maybe there are people he's talked to around the NFL maybe don't have him, you know, high up there on their list because of the tools and the traits and all that stuff. There's also this other story that's out there where, according to Mike Florio Pro Football Talk, that the NFL may extend invitations to the draft for players who are projected to be selected later in the three day process. So that means it's not just the first round guys or a Will Levis who decides, you know what, even though I'm going to go Day two, I'm just gonna go ahead and bail and get the hell on out of here. It's going to be everybody else in the draft potentially getting invites to go ahead and fill this whole thing out, Which why wouldn't you, Yeah, like, if this is a one, once in a lifetime opportunity, why not open it up and let everybody share, even if they're not a Day one pick and they go round two to three, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: If you've got the room, why not make it happen.
Speaker 4: And this was all based on they are having a hard time getting more people to want to go to the draft.
Speaker 5: Is that in essence what it is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because more and more people are just like, I'll just do it at home, do my own.
Speaker 4: Thing, yeah, which, okay, so let me just peel back the curtains. I still stand by this, and this is not a knock on Green Bay, Wisconsin or any other city that's hosted the Draft. By the way, New York's different though, all right, folks like it's New York. There's something to that. There's certain cities that kind of have that aura about it. However, you want to put it, no different than when we had the Super Bowl Las Vegas and we walked away from that, everyone goes, this wouldn't be a bad sight to just have the Super Bowl here every year, Like I think everyone would be excited about that. That was kind of the draft that used to be in New York and when you were invited, when you went, it was one of the coolest experiences, one of the best weeks things that you the way you were able to impact, you know, young kids' lives, even doing some some different things too, and meeting people around the NFL. The entire thing was awesome. Since they've moved it around, though, to me, it's it's lost a bit of its luster and if you want me to really peel back the curtain. One of the ways, and one of the reasons why maybe more guys used to go to New York and like to get to New York was because a lot of these companies that are spending marketing dollars on these draft prospects were able to do media tours. It's the number one media market, So players would go ahead of time. Even players who would choose not to sometimes go to the draft or maybe they weren't invited.
Speaker 5: They would still go to New York.
Speaker 4: You would go through a bunch of you know, different You could be sitting at a conference room doing a ton of different radio interviews. You could be going to different radio studios, going to different TV shows and places you'd go to promote whatever product it is or brand that you're promoting. That was kind of part of it, and it got looped in as part of it. So you had a financial incentive to go, and that was back before NIL and so not to get into weeds on this, but LaVar we kind of talked about this yesterday, right, and my theory with Petros was, and even in regards to kind of the Nico situation in his family, was that's all some of these kids know, you know, Jonas, Forty states now allow kids in high school to be paid in IL. So if you really think about it, when parents have kids who show promise in junior high, they're already thinking dollar signs when they get to high school. That's how crazy this whole process has become. So there's representation for high school kids. So if you look at it from that standpoint and you really think about this, For example, if you go back to the twenty twenty three high school QB class going into college, this is the top eight quarterbacks Arch Manning, Nico Iamaliava, Dante Moore, Jackson, Arnold, Malachi Nelson, Jaden Reshada, Aiden Hiles, Austin Mack. Every single one but Arch Manning has transferred. And Arch probably could have right like that was there for him. But in most cases there was probably some sort of financial incentive to end up to go somewhere else based on where some of these top quarterbacks went to and but what was opportunity to But it goes to show you like that's kind of the business of this. And so these generations now that are coming through high school to college, college to the NFL, you have to incentivize them. Like the NFL brought me in to consult after my draft day experience, like, hey, what can we do to bring more guys here.
Speaker 5: We're having a hard time doing this.
Speaker 4: This is back in like two thousand and nine, twenty ten and I said to him back then, I go, you need to create opportunities to pay them to be there. And that's just the truth. As much as it's a great experience, these kids nowadays they can stay at home because they can make money off it. They can kind of sell it as a live TV show or reality TV show if you will, because that's what the NFL is doing. They're profiting off it. And so if they're not paying these kids to be a part of their reality TV show, which is the Draft, why not try to stay at home do it yourself. At least you're able to get something from it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I could see both sides of it.
Speaker 6: Moving it around, trying to get exposure into different markets, create some excitement in the different markets of where the teams are. But I do think that there is something about establishing a destination, and if you're moving the destination, I don't know that it has as much appeal. If you had continued to build off of what you were doing at Radio City, and you know Madison Square Garden and how that all works, and you know the pageantry of it and the history of it that's connected to it, maybe maybe this isn't the situation or the scenario that's being discussed. I really think that the longevity of success that was therefore the NFL Draft, before all of this became a thing, was based upon those very those very elements. I mean, if you can recall how the draft was marketed, I mean, just seeing the different players and players that we grew up idolizing and were our heroes, and showing that moment of when they got the call in the green room and what that looked like, and putting the hat on and hugging your family and dapping up your agent or whatever it may be, and then going out on on to the stage. I mean, and for what it's worth, hugging the commissioner did not start with Roger Goodell. By the way, it's like this whole thing about Roger Goodell. The first person, I guess Gerald McCoy is credited would being the one who started the trend of hugging the commissioner when you get drafted. I don't know how true that is, because I a ton of people every time you went on stage hug Paul Tagliovu, of course, hell yeah, I just got hired by the NFL. Did you shake the hand and then pull him in for a hug or just go straight hug. I shook his hand first, and then I gave him a hug. Yeah, good to see you. I mean, it's it's yeah, yeah, it was. It was quite an experience, and I think it loses some of its luster when you take take risk to expand and and maybe make it more appealing or more sellable to advertisers by going to different, you know, different venues. I mean, some of them are just meant to be where they're meant to be if you ask me. Now, the Super Bowl has always been a move around deal, but the Draft was was situated, and so was the Pro Bowl. And I think that you know, you you don't know until you know if it's going to be a success or a flop. But I feel like they're two for two on flopping and and in some regards moving both the Pro Bowl and moving the NFL Draft.
Speaker 3: Just my take. She don't like the drafting moved out of I.
Speaker 6: Wanna say, I don't like it being but if you were to ask me, which one would be if you're asking me to show up, even as an alumni, you know which I was invited to do the pick for the Commanders this year. Why I don't want to do it. I don't want to do it. I'm gonna do the show here and then I'm a fly out and go see the Blue White game the next day. But I just didn't. I didn't feel any like, why do I want to go to Green Bay, Wisconsin for the Draft? So I'm not trying to throw shade. I'm just saying I don't want to go, and I just not. If it had been in New York and I had announced I announced a pick in New York for the team as well, I think there's more cachet. I think there's more draw. I think there's more reason to want to go to the draft and be a part of that event if it's being held in a place like New York City. So if it was New York going ag I thought about it, gave it more thought than what I did for this thing. I mean, it's not I just don't it is. It's it's you know what I mean. I don't want to go to Green Bay, but it's like that or for a game. It's different, Right, I'm going to Green Bay.
Speaker 5: That's one of the.
Speaker 6: Places you go for the pros to get an experience, But as far as going there for a draft, and I'm sure it's probably going to be a nice activation. I mean, the NFL does a great job with their activations. It's not I'm not throwing shade. I'm just saying, in general, is that more attractive? Is it more attractive to say we're moving it around and Okay, you had a great one, you had a great pool when it went to Tennessee. Like everybody I talked about the one that was in Tennessee, they rave about that one, and I think they felt like that was it was going to be a consistent, constant deal, that it would be as good in every other market.
Speaker 3: And it just hasn't been that.
Speaker 2: I've heard nothing but good things about it, cause it's been. It started in Chicago, went to Philly, it went to Dallas, it's been to Detroit last year.
Speaker 6: People said Detroit's was nice. I just again, I don't know the appeal of it. I could see how it could be appealing to want to go to a different market, but I just think I just think if it's in New York and historical value of it, the market that it's in, I thought it was amazing As a player, I thought it was amazing when I went back as an alumni. I also thought it was equally amazing being in New York City for the draft.
Speaker 2: I just want to apologize to the city of Green Bay, you know, for its fine place.
Speaker 3: Lee's a big fan.
Speaker 7: Lee.
Speaker 3: Lee went back and scored ducks out of a claw machine and that was the highlight of his true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what's weird is I asked Lee if he made any friends. You're just in the event that we actually got invited to go there for the draft, and he said, and again, this is just what he could remember from the trip. Lee, correct me if I'm wrong, But you did say you had it. You met a couple of friends who did say we could crash at their place if we were to come back for the draft. Now, when I asked you whether or not they're meth heads, your response was like, I honestly can't remember.
Speaker 5: So there was a bit of a concern.
Speaker 4: There was a bit of a concern of who exactly invited you based on where you were when this all took place.
Speaker 8: I'm sure they were not meth heads, but it's not like I would have known if they were.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure I could have made it guess.
Speaker 6: But certainly alcoholics or oh yeah, that's certainly alcoholic.
Speaker 2: Lee were there were there burn marks on the bottom of their spoons?
Speaker 8: No, they were not, they were they were very nice, very nice people in Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Certainly, certainly alcoholics.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's all right, at the very least.
Speaker 6: At the very least, you're definitely we're definitely staring out down the lane.
Speaker 2: You know, the pipe that's the floor sealing is meth amphetami.
Speaker 5: What's your best guest, LaVar? What was your best guess on what what they would be?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh one, alcoholics? Whatever else I mean to me after that?
Speaker 6: I cut it off after that, because anything's possible after that. Yeah, I didn't know, Like you wake up standing over top of you with like a Miller light or something like that, like some rusty boxer shorts on, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 6: Like why are you standing there like that? By the way, I just don't want to find myself in like that is a reflection on green Bay. It's a reflection on Leave and his friend groups. That's fair, the company he keeps.
Speaker 5: So well.
Speaker 6: Look, and I happened to look a little different than y'all. So I got to be extra careful. You know, I found myself in in y'all situation. Man, y'all could try to gang up on me some just some pulp fiction type action. I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Be part of that.
Speaker 5: What the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Your party?
Speaker 5: Games? The hell are you talking about?
Speaker 7: Man, that's dead baby thing right. Yeah, I get a hold of me, not easily, not easily.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I'm not going to put myself in a situation where I got to escape either.
Speaker 5: Oh man.
Speaker 2: It is two pros and a cup of Joe in for the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio, LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you coming up next here though, we are going to tell you here live from the tiraq dot com studios. How you know somebody might have stepped in it. You know, somebody might have stepped in it. They are simply passing along the message on a top prospect in the draft, and it's sure to make some people very, very pissed off.
Speaker 3: We'll get into that for you right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 1: I mean that says something, right, So.
Speaker 3: Check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts. And of course on social media that's Kavene you know, and Rich. It's a Dan Patrick show here at Fox Sports Radio. LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys. Coming up in a little over twenty minutes from now here from the tyraq dot com studios, we are going to have another edition of Lee's Leftovers for.
Speaker 3: Those of you that are not familiar.
Speaker 2: It's where our executive producer, lead to Lap has stories both personal, both public, and he.
Speaker 3: Just releases them all on the air.
Speaker 2: So the Shenanigans will and Sue in about twenty minutes from now here on FSR. Right now, though, it is time to welcome in the star of Amazon Primes Thursday night football coverage, senior NFL reporter, lead content strategist at the MMQB and our buddy. You can get him on x at Albert Breer AB. What's happening? Good morning to.
Speaker 3: You, Albert.
Speaker 10: What's up? Guys? How we doing all right?
Speaker 2: Have you gotten any pushback or flack regarding your article that you wrote about in your piece about Shador Sanders from earlier this week?
Speaker 10: Not much? No, I mean I think, uh, you know, I think when you write the truth it, you know, I think you're okay. So I haven't gotten any major pushback on what I wrote about him now, so.
Speaker 2: The Sanders camp hasn't come after you, and uh, well, yeah, you know, I mean.
Speaker 10: I think but I think I think they're starting to realize, like they're starting to realize what is real and what's not here. And I do think, like again, I said this to you guys for over a month, I think right like that, I I don't think, like I don't think that a lot of the league views him as a first round talent. And I'm not telling you that that that means he's not gonna wind up having a great NFL career and be a top ten quarterback all that. Like, I don't know, you know, I don't know what this is going to become. What I can tell you is what is right now. And what is right now is a lot of these teams look at it and say I wouldn't I wouldn't take him in the first round, even if I mean to quarterback. So a lot like Bonnicks last year, I think this is going to come down to some team seeing them as a fit more so than other teams.
Speaker 5: Was Okay.
Speaker 4: That being said, though, and you've done this for a long time, how many prospects, though get pushed up into the first round? Like, I find it hilarious that there's always like fifty guys who are going to be first round picks at least based on what the agents start telling them, right, And in reality, most teams probably don't have thirty two first round grades on all the prospects they end up drafting them the first round that they don't have a first round grade on them. So if Shador Sanders has looked at in some people's minds as the number two quarterback, you know, how many quarterbacks then at this point even have a first round right?
Speaker 5: Is it just Cam Woard at this point? And then how many players in.
Speaker 4: General do you think are really have first round grades that teams are saying, Yeah, but you know they don't have rounds of game, but we're gonna.
Speaker 5: Take in the first round.
Speaker 10: No, it's a good point, Brady, Like, I think this is this year that numbers love, you know what I mean? Like, and even in a great year, you guys know this, like the the number might be twenty twenty two, twenty four, right, Like I think this year, that number is probably closer to like twelve or thirteen for some teams, like where and look like some of it is like you know, like they're gonna different teams going to look at different guys different ways, so they're not going to come off to see the board the same way. There's not the consensus that people think there is, Like after you get past the first couple of guys, you know, like there's going to be disagreement from team to team based on fit, based on like what your doctors say, based on all of those things. Right, So so yeah, like that number, that number is low, and quarterbacks get pushed in the first round more than any other positions. So that's definitely something you have to take into account here, is that teams get desperate and it's the most important position on the field, and you know, like in some cases owners can get involved saying like we have to come away with a quarterback, come hell or high water, you know, and it's how you know, it's how Christian Ponder winds up going twelfth overall, let's pick on him. It's how aj Manuel winds up going sixteenth overall. You know, I think you'd argue is how Kenny Pickett went in the first round a couple of years ago. You know, It's like, if you're pre determining that we have to take a quarterback in a certain year, well, that doesn't automatically mean there's going to be one worthy of going where you're picking, you know. But sometimes sometimes teams will look at it and say, you know what, like we need to take care of this once and for all now. And I'd argue that's often when the mistakes are made.
Speaker 6: With all that being said, Abe, they did bring in three quarterbacks to work out in New York?
Speaker 5: Is that I mean?
Speaker 3: Is that posturing?
Speaker 10: Is that?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, let me know.
Speaker 10: So I would tell you, LeVar, I think this goes back to the fall, right like, And one thing I think that was very clear, like starting in the fall was how much work the Giants were going to do on quarterbacks. And they did a ton and so they got you know, I know, people say, oh, they were they were around you do a lot in the fall. They were around all these guys a lot in the fall. So I mean there are even a few guys that didn't come out that were in that category. Drew Aller at Penn State and Garrett Nussmeyer you know at LSU and Carson Beck at Georgia and now at Miami. Like they were around those guys a ton during the fall because they knew quarterback was going to be need for them and they wanted to really dive in and get to know the class really well. So like this is the last piece of that. And I think they will take a quarterback somewhere, but I don't think that the likelihood right now is they take a third. Overall, they did work out Jackson Dart about a month ago. They worked them out in mid March, so like that was the first of the private workhouse they did. And you know, now they're getting these three done here at the end and being able Sho to do her today Jalen Miller Roe tomorrow and Tyler Shuck on Saturday. So I mean they've run the gamut with all these guys, and you know, I think reading into it is like this is like a new level of interest or this is like some sort of renewed interest, like I think as much as anything else, And this is you know something I wrote the other day. This is John Mahra basically saying to this guys, like if we're going to pass on the quarterback at three, like, let's make sure we know what we're passing on. I mean, you may remember seven years ago they didn't make a mistake taking Saquon Barkley second overall, but Josh Allen was under consideration there, you know, and and and so you know if they wind up passing on on Josh Allen at that point, and you know, I think part of it for the for the for the maras you know again, is well, you know, if we're if we're not taking a quarterback of three with this crying need we have with this pick that we have, then we need to be damn sure we don't know these guys inside now before we do it.
Speaker 3: Albert.
Speaker 2: As far as the Giants go, because we were talking about that earlier, is what's the potential of them, you know, maybe moving back out of the pick if they don't have a need for an edge rusher like an abdual Carter, maybe there's a team that desperately wants him or is interested in that as being their pick. So have you heard any teams specifically that have called or any teams to keep an eye on that could potentially be moving there?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't know that anybody's coming. I mean, I think it's I think it's hard logistically this year because you can take the draft value chart and throw it out this year. The reason why, at least at the very top of the draft. The reason why is because after Hunter and Carter, there's this feeling that the picks you we've've been making there, whether it's Will Campbell or Jalen Walker or Mason Graham or any of these guys, Tyler Warren, Ashton Gent like a lot of those guys would probably be picked fifteenth or twenty if last year, right, Like, so like if you're the giants are Browns, You're looking at it and you're there two and three with two guys on the board that are legitimate blue chip guys, and you're saying, all right, well, if we're going to move out of here, going down to six this year would be like going down to twenty last year. And if that's the case, well then like, aren't you going to ask for more from those teams? And are those teams willing to pay that premium to come and move off? I think that complication is quite a.
Speaker 6: Bad I would ask Mott. I guess maybe not my final question, but I'm curious about I made the point earlier, Aba you know the New England Patriots are and let me know if I'm accurate or off.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if I was off or not.
Speaker 6: But it sounds like Mike Vrabel was interested in TJ Watt because negotiations aren't going very well in Pittsburgh. If that is the case, well what does this mean for possibly making a move? And you're at four, but would you think that there's the possibility that they would try to maybe swap out with the Giants to maybe get a duel carter if they don't get a TJ.
Speaker 3: Watt.
Speaker 6: I mean, hearing that they want TJ Watt would come across to me as you are placing a very very high priority on the idea of in that position, correct, right.
Speaker 10: Right, So, like I think Jalen Locker is somebody to be in the mix for them to at for, you know, And and it's you're juxtaposing that against like what they the crying need they have for a tackle, right like an help protect her young quarterbacks. So you know, whether that's you know, Will Campbell or arm On Membu or Kelvin Banks, whatever, you know, like I I think that that's sort of the internal debate you're talking about that's probably happening there now. I don't know they would give up. I mean, they just I think the problem for them is they just have too many needs to be giving up a ton of capital to go up a spot. And you know, if they were to say, give up both their third round picks to go up a spot, well, then you know, that's where the strength of this year's drafted. And I think that complicated a little bit too. Is like most teams look at it and say, okay, like you know, one to twenty isn't as strong as it usually is, but like twenty to seventy is pretty good, you know. And so if you have if you have a good amount of capital, you know, there on on on Friday the draft they're in around two and three, feel pretty good about that. So do you want to give up that capital to fill you know, the the number of means that you have on the roster to jump one spot? I think it's a fair question to ask, you know, And then like what again, what does it take the Giants to move down from from from you know, taking from taking Abdul Carter at three to maybe take like save Mason Graham at four, Like how do they view that? I think all that's part of the equation, Albert.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you about Tyler Shuck.
Speaker 4: It seems like he's gotten a lot of positive momentum since Dannersina came out and says she had one NFL head coach who said he they.
Speaker 5: Like him best of any of these quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Is he kind of that surprise guy that could end up going in the first round we're I'm talking about, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 10: I think he's I don't think it's crazy to think like he could, like somebody could try into the bottom of the first round. Like I think like all these guys, like there's just like a wide range of outcomes for all of them. Like where I could see Shuck going in the first round, I could see him sliding a little in the second round, you know, like I And he's he's a fascinating one because he's got a lot of things some of these other guys, don't, you know what I mean. He's got the size, he's got a big arm. You know, he's a he's a good athlete. He ran four six I believe, right like so like he's got a lot of the things you like, but he's going to be twenty six, he's got the classical injury. You know, he's had trouble staying in the field over the years. So like I think with each of these guys, there's something you got to kind of wrap your head around, you know, and like okay, like what am I okay working with? And the medical is going to be a big piece of it for for Tyler Shuck, And I think the fact that he's a little older is something you have to you have to be comfortable with too. Ultimately, I think I think Cleveland would be an interesting team for him, and they're taking right there at the top of the second round, so you know, we'll see where that goes. But I think he'd probably be right in that range, like I you know, i'd be I'd be'd be surprised to me if he goes in the first round, but I certainly you think I don't think that's off the table, and I think he's you know, like, I think he probably goes somewhere in the second round.
Speaker 2: Albert Brier joining us here on the Dan Patrick Show. You can get him on X at Albert Brier, what's the real story behind Derek Carr's injury.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a lot there. I mean, the injury is two years old, so that's something to consider certainly. You know, so like you have that, and then you know, on top of it, like you know, there was one point in the off season when he was looking for a market correction to his contract. You know, then then you know, does he want to be traded? That word sort of circular editor around the league in early March. Then you know, like then they do the conversion on his contract, which I mean they didn't have they didn't need to seek permission for that, Like they had the automatic conversion in the contract, so they weren't able to do that unilaterally. But they still they didn't really work with him on it, and so they just go and do that, which basically locks him into the team for this year. And now you hear like this injury thing, all of a sudden is an issue. There's just there's a lot going on there, I would say, And there's a lot to sort through for for for for Derek Carr and the Saints, and I don't know the way this ends, but it certainly had a layered to to where they're at going into the draft, what they might do with the ninet oberall tick, what they might do on the Friday the draft. Yeah, I think they were. They were. They were looking pretty heavily at quarterbacks to begin with. It'll be interesting to see if it affects their approach when they get to the actual draft.
Speaker 6: You mentioned earlier going at the draft, and I'm passing on Alan, what what's your take? I've been telling the whole entire world for so long, and and I've just been ringing the bail and and just trying to holler from every mountaintop that I can about Ashton Genty and and his his talent. And no I'm joking. I take it up to messing with Brady.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 6: Brady has actually been telling people how great Ashton Genty has been before he became maybe more so of a household name, how should we be looking at you know, where he's at, and how set up for this year's drest.
Speaker 10: I've actually I tried to ask people my conversations like how does he match up with the guys that have gone in that range at that position in recent years? So say kwan Zeke Elliott you know, Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey. There aren't very many of them, you know, John Robinson, So there are very many guys that have gone in that range. And I the the feedback I've gotten is like he's maybe like a slight notch below that group of guys, you know, but he's a really really good player. And because he's so clean character wise, like you have like a really good idea of what you're going to get with him, right, So is it gonna be the best back in football? I don't know, you know, because I think all those guys I mentioned, like we're seeing as like, Okay, like this's got a potential to be the best player disposition. But he's a damn good player, and I think like where he goes just sort of depends on how you approach that position in general. I think this this relates to Tyler Warren to some degree, to where you know, just a really good player and you know, like it's it's kind of you know, going to come down to team's comfort level with you know, spending top ten picks on those positions.
Speaker 2: Abe, does it feel like this draft is lacking a little, uh little buzz?
Speaker 10: I'll tell you what if she do or starts sliding, it won't Okay. Yeah, I mean, like I think I think you're right. Like last year, if you remember, like the sexy positions were all were loaded right like you quarterbacks, you had receivers. I mean it was it was and and and even if like you're talking about just premium positions in general, with the offensive tackles that were there. I mean, last year was one of those years where it was like, if you need help at a premium spot, you can get it. It was a good TV draft. I would say, you know, like with the three quarterbacks of the top six in the top twelve and then you know Marvin Harrison, Elik Neighbors and Roma Dunze there in the top ten. This draft is not that way. So this draft doesn't have that sort of star power. You're gonna have offensive line and you're gonna have, you know, defensive line, and I think pretty heavy in the first twenty picks or so. So look, I think this draft's going to be about storylines, and one of the storylines is what happens wash do or I think it's I think one thing that is cool about it is because I'd say it flattens out after the first two guys, Like after Hunter and Carter, you're gonna kind of get to a point where I think it's gonna be pretty unpredictable, and so there could be some curve balls and certain guys going ahead of other guys because I think it is sort of flat like once you get past those two guys. So I'll enjoy it, but I'll enjoy it, but I can understand where it would be lacking a little bit like the drive by fans.
Speaker 4: Albert, did you say you felt like there was gonna be a lot of trades or maybe not a lot of trades.
Speaker 5: I couldn't remember when we talked to you a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't think there'll be a lot at the top. I think he gets in the back half of the first round. I think that dynamic I had mentioned Brady about how like if you're again, if you're valuing this year's fifteenth tick like you would last year's fifth pick, or the other way around. If you if you if you value this year said the pick like you would last year's fifteen stick, then I think that logistically makes it difficult to move in the first round and I do think it's like you like view, say you view like Will Campbell and armand Membo is similar, or you view you know, Jalen Walker and Michael Williams and Shamar Stewart like there's not a huge difference, like or Will Johnson and Jji Baron. Well, then like, what's gonna motivate you to move up? Like I think the motivation to move up is like when the supply in those spots maybe starts throw and dry a little, and that's later in the first round. So I'd say, like the first half of the first round I think will be relatively static, and then we get the back half of the round, things change a little bit.
Speaker 4: So so real quick on that note, Typically when there's these different draft classes, you've always said, and this used to be around the combine and we'd bump into each other, teams would be like salivating over a guy in like the next year's draft, sometimes at a certain position. And obviously this quarterback class is viewed as one that's that's weaker and compared to last year. Is there a sense of that with arch Manning? Like is there a sense around the NFL in league that like if he does what everyone thinks he's going to do this year, that he would leave, and he would, without a doubt be one of those generational prospects because the NFL has seen the story twice before or maybe three times, including the brothers, but through generations of the Manning's working out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, I can't wait to see what happens. I don't know that anybody can speak to it with a lot of like certainty at this point because he talent, right, Like, but I don't know, Brady, what do you think? Like I look at it like he had his two starts were against inferior opponents, wasn't it It was against like a directional school and like a or was it? I can't remember, but it was against directional school I think in the Mississippi State who was we didn't want a game in the SEC. So, like, I'm not saying that to knock him, but it's just, you know, like you still haven't seen enough. Like and if if his name were you know, if his last name were Smith, like, I think we'd probably be looking at him and Texas fans would be super excited because of what he is physically. But I don't think we'd be talking about him like it's gonna be the first pick in the draft. You know.
Speaker 5: So so two things.
Speaker 4: He obviously bigger than quin you weres and obviously yours was dealing with some sort of injury what have you. But even when yours was healthy, stronger arm, better athlete. And I think that's going to translate in a Steve Sarkisan system to a big year in particular, what week one they played some some big school I think if it shows out week one this upcoming season, I'll set the town for the rest of it.
Speaker 10: Right, Well, yeah, and I agree with that. Like here's where I would say, though, like just looking at the face, so beats.
Speaker 5: Down who they play week one? Like it like here comes the hype train. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 10: Yeah? If he if he shows that in week one, yeah, that the hype train can leave the station. I would say this. So I think I think Cooper Manning has done an incredible job, like from what I can see, at least managing like his helping helping to manage his sons, like like you know, his playing career. I don't know, Like I don't know why anybody gets will get the idea that it's automatic that that he's going to come out if he has a great year. I mean, if you look at it, Peyton stayed, Eli stayed when they were in school, you know, Arch Manning in a spot when a lot of guys would have left Texas, he stayed and stuck it out and sat for two years. And then there's a lot of like there's a lot of evidence that what is the marker. I think it's like twenty five starts in college, Like there's a big difference when you're talking about it being a predictor for success in the pros, Like generally guys who start a lot of games in college have a bit of have an advantage over guys that don't. So like I would just look at it, like I mean, like everything we know about the Manning family, it tells us like they're not gonna They're not going to just chase money or a certain draft position if it's there for them. Like I I don't know, it just it feels to me like it's a lot more likely that that he's going to spend at least two years as the starting quarterback in Texas. I might be wrong, but but but it just it at least feels that way to me now. And you know, I again like I and we talked about next year's class. I think there there are some guys look at throughout our Kent State Garrett not Smyer at LSU, Leonora's Sellers at South Carolina. I just I don't know. I don't know that it'd be so fast about arch maning and that class base and what we know about how his family's handled these into the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but again week one, if he if he just blows out that upon a Week one, especially on the road, you know a good sense.
Speaker 10: That well, you're like willing, you're willing this to happen. Now, hu you really love?
Speaker 5: Do you know? Do you happen to know who Texas plays Week one next year?
Speaker 10: I do? I do. I mean I heard there's another highly scouted quarterback that might be playing that by the name of Julian saying you might want to.
Speaker 4: I'm sure on the same page here, I'm spar sure, huh, I'm sure on the same page.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you might want to study up on him for picking and kickoff. You guys might be talking about.
Speaker 5: Buddy, And here's how little you know.
Speaker 4: Then, here's how little you know last spring game, when everyone was drooling about Jeremi Smith, I sat there instead on the broadcast, I said joy and saying has the higher upside like Ohio State, I think could have done what they did last year, even with.
Speaker 10: Saying starting wow, well you made me feel a lot better. I appreciate that. Brady, thank you.
Speaker 3: It all comes here. It is ab We appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 3: We'll do it again next week. There he is.
Speaker 2: I get him on x at Albert Breers, Senior NFL Reporter, lead content strategist at the mm QB. We are brought to you by Maco Still Drive, having that trusty old ride. Keep it looking sharp with Maco from dense to faded paint. We've got you covered. Get a free estimate today. H oh, better get Mako. So we're going to close up shop here next with another edition of Lee's Leftovers right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick Show here Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys. We're going to be back here filling in for DP and Company coming up tomorrow, same time, same place. And reminder, even though you're listening to us now, did you know you can also see us. Be sure to check out the Fox Sports Radio YouTube channel. Just search Fox Sports Radio on YouTube. You'll see a whole bunch of video highlights from our shows. Be sure to subscribe so you always have instant access to our Fox Sports Radio videos on YouTube.
Speaker 3: All right, d Lap, what do we got? Well?
Speaker 8: I think me and Farr have a similar schedule today. Right after the show. I think we're both heading to the dentist. That's correct, different Dennis, of course, but.
Speaker 3: Head in the Pasadena getting your teeth clean.
Speaker 8: I'm just doing a routine cleaning. Far has got some uh it's work.
Speaker 6: I'm curious as to how this is all going to go down. Am I going to get a cap? Because I was, I was waiting to get a crown, and so I had a temporary on and I think I destroyed my whole tooth though, So I wonder if I'm still getting a crown or if I'm gonna have to get a what is.
Speaker 3: That called an endplane or whatever? That's bad damn nuts man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and me and var we were both talking about it. We've both been sleeping on the couch a lot lately, not because we're in the doghouse or anything like that, just because.
Speaker 3: I'm a couch couch.
Speaker 8: You know, what they say about couches for rich people is that the couch doesn't touch a wall. I don't get it, rich people. The couch doesn't touch a wall. It's somewhere in the middle of the room.
Speaker 3: Most people.
Speaker 6: It's so crazy, and I'm trying to Yeah, what is at first?
Speaker 5: What is that? Because the rooms are so big.
Speaker 4: Okay, think about it. The rooms are so big, you don't you have to put it up against a wall. You just put it somewhere in the middle. Oh, I can't relate to that. That's how it was in my old house, not like that here in my new one. So so that's debunked. Unless I'm not rich, of course, might not be rich something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, but I like my my couch and I'm going to get on it tonight.
Speaker 3: By the way,