Speaker 1: The Volume.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome to Hoops Tonight Here at the Volume, Happy Saturday, one last time everybody. Round two coverage of the NBA Playoffs. Here, Hoops Tonight is brought to you by Chase Freedom Unlimited. How do you cash back? Well, feels like I just watched a complete repeat mirror image of Game two of this series. The Warriors come out dominate early, just like the Lakers did early in Game two, and then the avalanche comes from the more desperate team. Bunch of things I want to dive in here, specifically surrounding the way that Anthony Davis slowed down that Warriors offense, and just look at some adjustments that I expect moving forward in the series. You guys know the joke before we get started. Subscribe to the Volumes YouTube channel so you don't miss any more of our videos. Follow me on Twitter at Underscore Jason lt so you guys don't miss any show now. And if, for whatever reason, you guys miss one of these shows and you can't get back over to YouTube to finish, don't forget you find them wherever you get your podcasts under Hoops Tonight, all right, let's talk some basketball. So series continues to follow a familiar trend. The Lakers actually won a little bit more convincingly than I thought they would, just like the Warriors won a little bit more convincingly than I thought they would in Game two. You can tell that both teams have a specific way that they can win the series.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So for the Lakers on the defensive end, it's Anthony Davis just being an absolute superhero, and we're going to dive into that concept and how he did that tonight here in just a minute. On the offensive end, it's unbelievably important for them to play with downhill force, and that mainly comes down to D'Angelo, Russell, Lebron, James, Anthony Davis, in a little bit of Austin Reeves foul grifting, and if the four of them can get downhill and get to the spots that they like to get aggressively towards the basket, they're going to get to the foul line. Why because the Lakers are great at drawing fouls and the Warriors are a team that has consistently throughout the series fouled too much. And we're going to talk about, I say, throughout the series, throughout the season, they foiled too much. We're gonna talk a little bit about officiating here in a few minutes. I don't want to hit on that right now, but let's focus on just how they're winning. Right So, the Lakers Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Dennis Roeder are playing with downhill force, getting to the foul line a lot, dominating the points in the paint battle, and then Anthony Davis just being an absolute superhero on the offensive end of the floor. How are the Warriors gonna win this series? Very simple? Steph Curry, best player in the world, consistently warping the Lakers defense, spacing them out with a ton of shooting, taking advantage of their lack of foot speed, their guards being somewhat limited defensively, and their struggles in transition. And so you could see them defensively when they pack the paint and they bait the Lakers into their worst tendencies, which is to settle for jump shots and lean too heavily on their guards. They push the ball out in transition and they either get easy buckets in transition or they space you out and Steph draws multiple defenders and then they pick you apart with all their offensive skills. So in the game that the Warriors win, that's what that's gonna look like. In the game that the Lakers win, that's what that's gonna look like. And it's a tug of war on both sides over the course of the rest of this series. And again, like if I talked about before the series, if you guys remember when I was with Colin Coward, I simply said, like, if Lebron, James and Anthony Davis consistently play great, they're going to win the series. Anthony Davis was incredible in Game one, and I thought Lebron was good. They won, and Steph was only okay. Game two, Lebron and Ad were Lebron was pretty good but not great. Anthony Davis was atrocious. Steph Curry was incredible. The Warriors win move into Game three. Lebron actually had a really nice end of the third quarter run there that I thought was monumentally important. That Anthony Davis completely dominated the game on the defensive end of the floor. Steph Curry good, not great. I think he had twenty three points on twenty one shots, which is relatively similar to what he did in Game one on a points per shot type of basis, so as you can see this tug of war between the superstars in this sheer force of wins, well, it's gonna look different like with Steph it's shot making and all the things he does to warp the defense. With Anthony Davis, it's everything he does defensively, and Lebron James just as a Swiss army knife trying to find ways to impact the game. Those two sides are pulling, and one side is going to eventually let go of the rope, and that's gonna be the team that ends up losing the series. And I'm really curious to see how that goes. Game four, in particular, I think, just like I said after Game two, is the game that this this series is entirely gonna come down to. I figured I predicted the Lakers would win convincingly tonight. Game four, it's going to be a totally different effort from Golden State. You're gonna see a little bit more desperation from Golden State, a little bit less desperation from the Lakers. It's gonna be a really close game, in my opinion, and it's gonna come down to that exact same tug of war I'm talking about. Can Steph outplay Lebron and ad in the Crypto dot com arena? All right, let's get into some of the nitty gritty of how this actually went down. So the adjustment that Darvinham made to start this game, which is something that I really didn't expect and ended up not playing as big of a role in the game, just simp because of the fact that Draymond Green got into foul trouble and ended up spending a lot of the game on the bench. But Darbnham did something that I didn't necessarily agree with. He put Jared Vanderbilt on Draymond Green, and Austin Reeves onto Steph Curry, D'Angelo Russell over on to Klay Thompson. Now, the idea there is, we are only scared of Draymond Green in the short role. We're not scared of Jamichael Green in the short role. We're not scared of Kevon Looney in the short role. Right, So we put Jared Vanderbuilt on Draymond Green. He can just switch the step the Steph Draymond pick and roll. Now Austin Reeves is on Draymond. That can be a little bit of a sized mismatch, but Draymond's not a guy that's gonna beat you in a switch, right, So now Jared Vanderbilt is back on Steph Curry, and we're kind of where we were before this game, right, So that was the big adjustment that they made there, and then it allowed Anthony Davis to be more aggressive in his hedges on the other players that he was guarding, simply because of the fact that Draymond Green is just such a better role man. And I'm really curious to see how that specific adjustment it plays out in game four, because we didn't really get to see much of an example of how it would work tonight simply because of the foul trouble to Draymond Green. So in game four, I wouldn't be surprised if Darvin Hamlet with a similar type of setup, and we'll get to learn a little bit more about that coverage and whether or not it works. But everything you know there are we talk so much about offensive superpowers, right, Like Steph Curry in game two, late in the game, comes off of like a dribble handoff on the right wing and jumps up and has like two dudes run up underneath him and he splays his legs out and he falls over and he makes the shot, and it's like, you played perfect defense and you just lose because he's unbelievable and he can make all these ridiculous shots, right, Like, that's what Steph Curry does. That's a superpower that overpowers anything that the defense is capable of. And we've seen this throughout NBA history. We focus so much on the ability of offensive superstars to transcend everything we understand about defense and what works right well. Anthony Davis has a similar impact on the game from the defensive end of the floor. I talked a lot about in the last show about how dangerous it is to hedge or to come way out above the level of the screen. And again, you can call it whatever you want. Sometimes it's like a soft trap, it's like a hedge. It's it's it's sort of it depends on It's kind of like a blitz two of a eighty gets really aggressive out on Steph.
Speaker 1: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'm not really interested in the semantics. To me, it's the yo yo of how high Anthony Davis comes up to the level of the screen. And what I was talking about was like you can't do that against Steph and Draymond because Draymond Green is just gonna kill you in the short role. But like the reality is is, Anthony Davis is such a freak of nature defensively that he just put in a lot more effort into being active with his hands when he came up high that suddenly it worked. And that's what's crazy, because I genuinely believe that's the one coverage you should never use against the Warriors that bring your big way out above the level of the screen, because that's what gives up all those pocket passes where Golden State is at their best. I think I usually think you're better off in drop coverage asking your guards to chase over the top or switching right. But Anthony Davis is so unbelievably good, by far the best defensive player in the league in my opinion, when he is right, that he is uniquely capable of making a super dangerous coverage functional because of how good he is with his hands, how high is iq is, how good his anticipation is, and how he can bother those pocket passes. The Lakers forced a ton of turnovers and got out in transition all game long. And it was because Anthony Davis just did a better job. Like we talk a lot about this on the show. Like you can focus on a schematic, you can focus on an adjustment. But nine times out of ten, any specific strategy can work as long as somebody does well enough. A drop coverage can work as long as your guards chase over the top really well and your big man can stay behind the roll man and mess everything up right. A switch can work as long as your guys can defend on the perimeter and you're a good help and recover team on the back line. And even a hedge against Steph Curry can work as long as you've got Anthony freakin Davis, who's so incredibly gifted with his hands to cause problems at the level of the screen. You know, we talk a lot about you, guys have heard those of you who listened to the show for a while, you've heard me talk about how if you double team the post, or if you blitz a pick and roll by using active hands, you force the pass to be much more difficult. It usually has to be looping, or it gets tipped or something along those lines, and that little delay will buy you time for your defense. To rotate on the back line, Whereas if it's a clean pocket pass through the gap and it hits the role man in stride, now your defense is completely screwed because that roleman is going full steam towards the rim and your defense is a step slow to rotate. And so again, like, I don't think anybody can do it other than Anthony Davis. I think he's uniquely equipped. But like that was a kind of an interesting example of a very dangerous coverage for the Lakers working because of Anthony Davis's greatness. I thought, you know, here's the bottom line, Anthony Davis. I thought, because that was a really rough start to that game. I think the Lakers gave up forty points in their first sixteen minutes of the game, and they were really struggling out on the perimeter. They were getting picked apart. And then they turned up the intensity and they only allowed twenty eight points over the following twenty minutes. And that was kind of where the game turned there in the end of the second quarter and over the course of the third quarter.
Speaker 1: That is what Anthony Davis is capable of.
Speaker 2: I tweeted out a link or jiff of Spider Man and him standing in front of the train and the trains going full speed and he's just digging his feet into the rivets and he holds up the train. That's what it reminded me of. That was a runaway, freight trained Golden State offense that was continuing the rhythm that they had from Game one. At one point or Game two at one point, Stephan Clay had made fifteen of their last twenty three threes. That's sixty five percent. Do you understand how insane that is? This Warriors offense was clicking at some of the highest level that they have in this particular season, and Anthony Davis stopped it somehow an unbelievable defensive performance. The bottom line is he's gonna have to do that two more times at a minimum to win this series. And like we saw in Game one and then Game two, we're gonna find out in Game four whether or not Anthony Davis is capable of revving up his engine enough to do that in back to back games, because again, if you lose that game and you go back to Golden State's too too, I think Golden State wins the series at that point. I think this game is the game the Lakers have to win. They have to win Game four. Game five is gonna be a tough one. Then you can close out the series in game six. So shout out to Anthony Davis. This is two out of the three games in this series where I thought he was the best player on the floor. That's a very very That's the swing factor of the series right there. Shout out to Lebron. His engagement level is so important to this team. Defensively, there was a I thought Lebron had one of his worst games of the postseason through two and a half quarters, and then there was a bad sequence. Lakers are up I think seventeen, and Lebron is just kind of messing around on a defensive rebound, and Andrew wig is crashing in and instead of boxing out Andrew Wiggins, he just stands there, and Andrew Wiggins comes over the top and tips the ball out. It goes right to Steph Curry. Steph Curry makes the three. Now it's a fourteen point game. Then the next possession, I think it was the next possession, but Lebron ends up getting a defensive rebound in his hands and he just fumbles it out of bounds and In the ensuing sequence, Anthony Davis gets another block, but the loose ball just kind of lands at Kevon Looney's feet under the rim. Kevon Looney lays it up. You call time out. You're only you're only up twelve. And I remember sitting there thinking like man, like, they need to get something out of Lebron James. These leads are not safe. And from the from that time out, from when the Warriors got it to twelve to the end of the third quarter, Lebron James was a freaking freight train on both ends of the floor, attacking the basket on offense, getting out in transition, and flying around on defense, both on the glass and blocking shots. Had a beautiful block of Jordan Poole on a baseline cut. He had a offensive rebound put back on a on a D'Angelo Russell pull up three in transition. Just big play, a big, big stretch there from Lebron to help put that game away. Let's talk about the officiating for a second. So here's the thing, Warriors fans, I am certain that you feel like you probably got the short end of the stick in officiating in this game. And I would argue and the spectrum of the way officiating is gonna go over the course of the series. There's no question that was a great whistle for the Lakers. But here's the thing. What happened in Game two. In Game two, then the Lakers going to the entire first half without shooting a free throw or something crazy like that, Like the Warriors were able to be super physically aggressive in Game two, fouled a lot, got away with it. They got a much better whistle in Game two. That's going to happen. And guess what, I promise you guys, because I follow like one hundred Laker fans on Twitter, they all felt the exact same way that you guys felt tonight. The way you felt tonight, that's the way Lakers, Lakers fans felt in Game two. You will notice I did not talk about officiating in Game two because to me, that's just a natural ebb and flow of the series. Well, I feel like we've all watched enough NBA playoff series over the years to know that the whistle oscillates back and forth. And no, it's not the refs trying to swing things one way or another. I think it comes down to two factors. Okay, First, of all, like we talked about in one of the earlier shows today, I believe it was. I think it was when we were talking Heat Nicks. I can't remember.
Speaker 1: But the team that plays with Forrest gets the whistle. End of story.
Speaker 2: If you play super physically aggressive on both ends of the floor, you get the whistle. The Warriors were the more aggressive team in Game two, they got the whistle. The Lakers were the more aggressive team in Game three. They got the whistle.
Speaker 1: That's how it works. And then there's like a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Like a home court thing where refs always get a little swept up in the emotion of the arena. That's human nature, right so to me, Like, and the Warriors know that, by the way. And I'm not gonna be over the critical of the Warriors, because the Lakers also lost their cool with the refs in Game two. They Lebron and ad were talking to the refs act like you could tell they were both voicing their opinion to the refs that I thought the game was clearly being favorably officiated for the Warriors all game long. Today, the Warriors were doing the same thing to the refs, and like, honestly, I thought the Warriors let it get into their heads a little bit, and like the thing too is like a lot of them they're fowls. Like Draymon's fifth foul. Didn't like the call. Anthony Davis ripped through to his left. Draymond slid, took the contact in his chest and fell over. To me, that's a no call, right, you know, cause like you're not. Maybe you don't reward Draymond for falling, but you don't reward Anthony Davis for running him over. Right, that was a bad call. Here's the thing. You're gonna get back calls. There's gonna be six or seven bad calls in every single game. The two before that, the two players were Draymond Green fell over. He was out of position. Both of them were rollman possessions, or one of them was a rollman possession, the other was a rip through on the rollman possession. Draymond was just a step slow and he hopped in front of Anthony Davis and fell over. You can't you have to be there. You can't like Anthony' already be coming and you'd be a step slow and then get in front of him and fall over. You're gonna get that call every single time, they went to the booth and reviewed it and they upheld the call. The other one where Anthony Davis ripped through and he went towards the towards the middle, that was the one I want to say, that was the one where Anthony Davis landed on his ribcage. Like Draymond was out a position, he got beat to the right, and instead of sliding and being super physical where he might have gotten away with it, he tried to fall down and he didn't get the call. And one of the hard things that happens is when you fall, you put the onus on the official to blow the whistle. And that's the thing, whereas if you just play physical NBA playoff defense, there's a chance that they just end up holding that whistle right. And there's like Klay Thompson was getting like, I'm sorry, but every single level of basketball, if you're standing in a triple threat and you have your arm on the dude's left arm and he rips through to the left, it's an automatic foul. And yeah, they don't send you to the foul line anymore unless you're in the penalty, but they call that every single time. So Guess what, when you're guarding Austin Reeves, you can't put your arm out on him. You have to put your arm in the shooting pocket. Right the play where Austin Reeves took that little turnaround fade away and Clay ran into him, Make Austin Reeves make a turnaround fade away.
Speaker 1: Make him make it.
Speaker 2: If I'm a Warriors fan, I love that Austin Reeves is taking turnaround fadeaways. Klay Thompson on the pump fake entered his airspace. It's a foul.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some nights it won't get called. There will be games in the series light Game two where that doesn't get called. But there are also gonna be more games than this series. Don't be surprised if Game six in LA if you see the Lakers get a similar whistle, because they're gonna play desperate and with a ton of force, and they're gonna get a lot of calls. So part of it is just again we talked about this in Game one. You're gonna see a free throw disparity in almost every game of this series. Why the Lakers are the best free throw shooting, a free throw generating team in the league. And they're one of the very best teams at not fouling, and the Warriors stuck at both. So guess what, There's going to be a free throw disparity some nights worse than others. You gotta keep you cool, you gotta play through it. They picked up a lot of techs. They started to get into it with the officials instead of saying focus on the game. I think that's a big area for improvement in Game four, is just letting the officials and also just play with more force. If you are the team that plays with more force, you will get a better whistle like those flops. I genuinely believe if Draymond just holds his ground and literally fouls Anthony Davis like hits him and pushes him, it probably won't get called because they're letting everything go around the rim. Right. It's when you start falling down and body start hitting the floor that it starts to get a little bit more convoluted. Shout out to the Laker guards. I thought they all played better. D'angela Russell was amazing in that first quarter. Austin reeves much better defensive performance in this game. I think it helped to put him on Steph Curry because Klay Thompson had such a huge strength advantage on him. And then Dennis Schroeder, I thought, had a really good offensive third quarter during that run and play some good ball pressure defense on Steph Curry as well. So a couple of adjustments that I expect moving forward for the Warriors. And you kind of saw this where when Steph. When Steph identified that Anthony Davis was bothering those sequences in the hedge with his hands, you might have noticed that Steph kind of stopped going to ball screens with Anthony Davis and he just started to hunt isolations. And that I think is going to be a really really interesting counter for Steph is to start match up hunting away from Anthony Davis. So call for guard to guard screens, to pick on, try to get someone that you think you can get past, someone like D'Angelo Russell or Austin reeves on you. If Austin's guarding you full court space the floor, just attack Austin, Like Austin can't guard you. You're Steph Curry like, just don't worry about bringing Anthony Davis up into the screen. Go cook Austin, Go attack D'Angelo Russell. If Ruey Hatchamura is on the floor, get a guard to guard screen to get Ruey Hatchimura switched on to him. They even had some success in like hedge and recover situations getting some good looks for guys like Dante DiVincenzo just by running a guard to guard screen and drawing multiple defenders. So I think that's the next counter for the Warriors is straight ISO for Steph against Austin Reeves when he's guarding him, and then start to hunt individual Laker defenders and guard to guards screens. Next, stay out of out trouble, like just be a step be quicker with your reactions, stay in position, play.
Speaker 1: With more force. You'll get a better whistle.
Speaker 2: And if you do so, then Draymond Green can stay on the floor for longer and have a bigger impact on the game. And then the other thing I'd like to see. The last thing for the on the Warriors front, I want to see Andrew Wiggins look to be more aggressive as a score. Lebron James really struggles with his foot speed on the perimeter and he beat him off the dribble a bunch tonight. Hit some jumpers in his face. That's another guy too that you can run some guard to guard screens. Lebron is kind of notorious for switching screens with no effort, right, So call Austin Reeve, can have have Wiggans run a ball screen with Steph setting it, and then you'll probably get switched with Wiggins onto Austin Reeves. And then Wiggins can go to work on Austin Reeves like you're gonna be able to find good matchups there. And I think I think the Warriors need to start hunting opportunities where Anthony Davis is just on the back line and then from there you can drive and kick them a couple times and hopefully pull Anthony Davis away from the paint. But if Anthony Davis is going to be that good defensively on those hedges, I'm just not sure they're going to be able to score.
Speaker 1: On the Lakers front.
Speaker 2: I like the hedge and recover as long as Anthony Davis plays that active. If he doesn't, it could be a problem. So again, that coverage is super dangerous. It requires other worldly effort from Anthony Davis. I'd like to see Lebron James in the post war they did it a little bit tonight, more than they have in previous games in the series, but I think they can go there even more. Maintain defensive effort. Biggest weakness for this team. Will not be surprised if the Warriors kind of got up to an early lead and kind of stiff armed the Lakers throughout Game four, because they have a tendency to be inconsistent with their defensive effort and then keep playing with downhill force on offense to try to attack the Warriors' bigs and get them in foul trouble again, which obviously was a big pathway to their success tonight. Wow, what a series this has been so far. I know the blowouts can give you a little boring sometimes, but you know, for you know, just from a basketball chess mats perspective, it's been super interesting and it's been interesting to watch the up and down nature of the play of the stars. All Right, guys, that is all we have for today. I believe we're coming back tomorrow to do a chase three point segment. I'll probably just do a film study on three of the series, but if not, we'll be back on Monday night. I think we're going every night basically for the next three weeks, so keep an eye on the Twitter feed for show announcements and show links and things along those lines. I appreciate you, guys, and I'll see you today.
Speaker 1: The volume