Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news. This is The Daily Show with your host Jessy Lion.
Speaker 3: Welcome Daily Show. I'm Debbie Lenex. We've done so much good news for you tonight. Women's sports are now the best sports. Michael Costa tries to get out of a speeding ticket, and Donald Trump has found an entirely new way to lose money. So let's get.
Speaker 4: Into the headline.
Speaker 3: Let's kick things off with some news from the business world. Last week, Donald Trump's social media platform Truth Social went public with a value of eight billion dollars, which seemed like a lot for a website whose business model is what if Twitter was just Nazis? And guess what? Turns out it was Tonight's.
Speaker 5: Stock and Donald Trump's media company tanking after Trump's social media platform Truth Social reported losing fifty eight million dollars last year. The company was valued at nearly ten billion dollars after it went public last week, as Trump supporters rushed to scoop up shares.
Speaker 6: Truth Socialist is doing very well. As hot as a pistol and doing great.
Speaker 5: But today that route awakening. The revelation of last year's losses sent the stock plunging more than twenty percent, and the value of Trump's own stake losing more than a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Trump, you lost a billion dollars yesterday. Now you're only worth six billion dollars. You broke bitch. We got him finally. Now there's a bit of a disagreement over why the stock drops so much. Analysts say it's because of huge losses in limited market upside, while Trump advisors argue it's because of won'te gay trans DEI Hunter, Biden's laptops. So who's to say? At this point, it just seems like Trump is trying to be in every section of the newspaper, finance, politics, style, city crime. It mattered time until he drops a theater review just saw wicked, total witch. Let's move on to the fight. Yeah, you can collabor that is, oh drop. Let's move on to the fight over abortion rights, where today Florida handed us a mixed bag. Now to Florida, where the State Supreme Court just issued two major rulings on abortion rights.
Speaker 7: Major decisions. The Florida State Supreme Court has now cleared the way for one of the strictest abortion vans and the nation to go into effect. It bans abortion at just six weeks into pregnancy, but at the same time, that same state Supreme Court also allowing this issue to be on the ballot in November, allowing Florida voters to decide whether they want to protect access to abortion up until viability, which is considered to be around twenty four weeks into pregnancy.
Speaker 3: Florida, what is going on here? You're restricting abortion, but you're also putting it on the ballot. Pick a lane. These are some crazy moon swings. You better hope you're not pregnant. Look, a six week abortion ban is obviously a terrible setback for women's rights, but there is a small glimmer of hope and that the voters also have a chance to legalize abortion again, which is good news and also depressing to be celebrating that as good news, But in this climate, I guess that's where we're at right now. I don't know whether I'm happy or not. I feel like Ron DeSantis's face, but hey, at least abortion is on the ballot. Finally, the people of Florida will be able to choose something besides community service or jail time, and that is something, that is something. Let's move on to sports. We're in the final stretch of March Madness, that special time of year that turns every office into an underground gambling ring, and last night all eyes were on a rematch between two of the biggest stars in the tournament.
Speaker 8: In goat fashion, Caitlin Clark led Iowa over defending champion LSU and a readout of last year's final.
Speaker 4: For anyone who questioned her greatness, Caitlyn Clark had the answer. Forty one points, nine threes twelve assists, a record making masterpiece that lived up to the hype of a rematch in an ethnic battle of.
Speaker 9: Greats, Clark steps back fires you back, oh mine from Schenectady.
Speaker 5: She's simply ridiculous, She's possessed.
Speaker 3: This poor announcer Kaylen Clark hit so many big shots that the guy was clearly running out of things to say. She's ridiculous, She's possessed, She's a witch drowner. I don't know, but honestly, honestly, what an awesome rivalry. Kayln Clark and Angel Reese, two fierce competitors playing their hearts out captivating the nation while they're still in college. My biggest accomplishment in college was getting a single dorm because of my ibs. Hey, if there was a sock on the door, it was an especially bad night. Point is it feels like women's basketball is having a moment this year, and you can tell by how much the media can't stop talking about how they're talking about it.
Speaker 4: What a great thing for women's sports that we care.
Speaker 3: We're talking about it tonight on CNN because people are caring, and ultimately that is good.
Speaker 5: We care.
Speaker 3: The fact that we're talking about women's basketball and any you know, women's sports in general.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is really great.
Speaker 10: A freaking love of one.
Speaker 6: It's really great.
Speaker 2: I've done this for thirty two years.
Speaker 6: I've never once spent five minutes.
Speaker 2: Of any show I've ever done anywhere talking about a great women's game last night at any level.
Speaker 3: Okay, I might say more about you, but we'll take the win. We'll take it.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: People are excited about women's basketball right now. They're discovering it like it's the first time your mom tried sushi. Oh my god, have you heard about this? Spread the word? But everyone is raving everyone. Even Shaquille O'Neal said, women's basketball this year is a better game than men's basketball. Yeah. Yeah, he's like the most famous men's basketball player. That's like chef boy Ard telling you he only eats spaghettios. Now spaghettios the official food of clinical depression. Spaghettios. Want to hurt an Italian person's feelings, try spaghettios, went Mark Spaghettios. You don't have to love your kids anyway. Think about how far women's basketball has come. Ten years ago, if you went to a bar on a Monday night to watch women's basketball, it was because you were an alcoholic. But today, if you're at a bar on a Monday night, it's because you're an alcoholic who also wants to watch women's basketball. That is progress. So this has been a hugely successful college tournament for the women, even despite some obstacles.
Speaker 8: In the women's tournament, controversy is brewing after four games were playing on a court in Portland, Oregon, where the three point line was about six inches closer to the hoop on one side. The error was discovered before North Carolina played Texas in the Elite eight. Both teams coaches decided to go ahead with the game to not delay the tournament.
Speaker 3: Okay, I really relate to this as a woman. It is so classic for someone else to fuck up and we're like, oh, the line is messed up. It's fine, We'll just go ahead and play four games. You can fix it later or not whatever. I'm sorry, but what exactly happened with the three point line? To get more on this, we go live to Josh Johnson at the arena. Josh, what happened down there? The line was several inches too short. That's a that's a huge error.
Speaker 6: Well does he?
Speaker 11: I talked to the director of court maintenance who made the mistake, as well as several other men who were just around, and we all we all agreed that your link being a few inches shorter than everyone was expecting is no big deal, no story here back to you.
Speaker 3: That's not true. Having the line be that short makes an enormous difference.
Speaker 11: Enormous is a little mean. Plus, it's not about the length of the line, It's about how you play the game. Okay, And I think we can all agree it was a pretty good game. You know.
Speaker 6: It's good for me.
Speaker 11: I enjoyed it and as far as the difference, the women didn't even notice, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Josh. Even if the women said they didn't notice, trust me, they always notice.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 11: But let's get this line guy a break, because when I talked to him, he swore this had never happened before.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 11: And we don't even know why it was too short. Maybe it was his first time, okay. Maybe it had been drinking, all right, Maybe the arena was cold.
Speaker 3: How does being cold make a difference?
Speaker 6: It just does.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wow, you seem pretty worked up about this. Why don't we move past the length of the line, thank you. Let's talk about the curve, because the curve was weird.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm out.
Speaker 11: This is why on we played basketball by myself, okay, Josh, Josh.
Speaker 3: Say, John Johnson, everybody.
Speaker 12: That we'll discovery that.
Speaker 3: Hear of that New York doesn't want but needs, so don't.
Speaker 12: Go welcome Max's Daily Show.
Speaker 3: Last week, New York City introduced the first congestion pricing plan in the country, and there's one local who's set on making sure New Yorkers pay their fines our own. Michael Costa caught up with him in another installment of Thank.
Speaker 6: Me Later, Hi, I'm Michael.
Speaker 13: Costa license plates they help track traffic violators, But what happens when shifty citizens purposely cover them up? Sir tonight on thank me later, we'll meet one man who's dedicated his life to ensure that New Yorkers are being held accountable for traffic violations. I want to bike along with this snitchelante to investigate, and you can thank me later.
Speaker 11: Communities cheated out of improvements to roads, bridges, and other infrastructure because of people covering up their license plates.
Speaker 8: When it goes through the camera system, we can't pick it up.
Speaker 3: Official say. These scofflaws cost the city more than one hundred million dollars every year.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 9: Some New York drivers have started obscuring their plates by partially covering them. These are called ghost plates, and one man is taking it upon himself to bust these ghosts plates.
Speaker 14: I think it's kirsh Konstan still on the criminal mischief beed. I'm going to dedicate today to illegal covered license plates. We've got a guy with the DA placard, I'll tell you that at the minute, and a cover.
Speaker 9: So what even incentivized this genuine New York freak to make this his life's mission. I caught him in one of the hottest zones for ghost plates, Lower Manhattan.
Speaker 14: The issue is, if you're driving around and your speeding and you're doing it with a covered plate, you're never going to get the ticket, and you're never even going to realize how badly you're driving. I want to make sure the person gets all the tickets to which he's entitled.
Speaker 10: What do you say to your critics who say he's a snitch, he's a loser, he doesn't have a life, a hobby, a family, a job, he doesn't have friends or a social life.
Speaker 6: What do you say to those people.
Speaker 14: I'm not trying to get people tickets. What I'm trying to do is show the people who are trying to get people tickets that their system is broken.
Speaker 10: We're in New York City, there's cops everywhere.
Speaker 13: Why aren't the police officers cracking down on these ghost plates.
Speaker 14: The vast majority of the people I've caught to facing or covering their it's our cops or firefighters or court officers. And then about one hundred and twenty of these videos in the past three months, and I'd say about seventy of them were law enforcement officials. The very people who shouldn't be breaking the law are finding a way to break the law by defacing their plate and then break the law by then speeding.
Speaker 13: We're getting more cops tickets for speeding.
Speaker 6: Give me some. That's awesome. I mean it's not.
Speaker 3: The goal is not to be an asshole.
Speaker 14: The goal is to be a little bit of an asshole.
Speaker 6: When does it end?
Speaker 13: And does that mean you're in a ditch somewhere with a couple of NYPD bullets in your chest?
Speaker 14: Not that I want that, I mean it would pick a great story.
Speaker 6: I actually see two heroes here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I see you, thank you, who is putting your life on the line more or less enforcing law enforcement. And then I see another hero here, and that's me because I've found you and I'm sharing your story with others.
Speaker 6: It's exactly right.
Speaker 14: So thank you for that.
Speaker 6: You can thank me later. Oh well, thank you right now.
Speaker 9: That's not what the Segond's called gersh took me on a bike along through Lower Manhattan to catch some ghost plates in action. After only a minute of biking, we hit our first defender.
Speaker 14: This is a great one.
Speaker 6: Is this normal wear? And tear and the answer is obviously no.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 14: So in a situation like this, regardless of where we are, I mean, we're literally within inches of a.
Speaker 6: Police so, I mean I'm nervous right now, you're nervous. What We're in a private cop lot? Yeah, and he's okay, okay, good, here's Gris Kuntsman. This one is just so defaced. I couldn't resist.
Speaker 14: I want him to get all the tickets he deserves. So I got my paint pen and we're just gonna fill this in for him. And just as a courtesy to the officer, because we are in police parking, I'll also do the New York the plate cover is illegal.
Speaker 6: You can see it.
Speaker 14: But if you're a speed camera which shoots at like this angle at night, these covers are illegal. For that reason. I'll probably just pull out my screwdriver and do what I do best. Okay, I'll just take the illegal cover and I'll just leave that on the front.
Speaker 6: Of the car to show that you're not stealing it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and I don't steal anything, and then we more or less get out of here.
Speaker 6: Let's get out of here. Bye.
Speaker 14: This is now the third time I've caught this guy, Are you serious?
Speaker 6: Yeah, same cop. You've been here before. Oh yeah, actually twice.
Speaker 14: But the fact that he's scraped it off again means I got to do some more work.
Speaker 13: There's such a important part of being a pest yeah, and actual and ways to actually get shit done and to get people to respond to you, you have to be an annoying.
Speaker 14: A bit of an asshole.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and this is the third time you've got this car, third time and you're being annoying to it.
Speaker 9: After a grueling day of catching ghost plates and meeting fans.
Speaker 6: All right, ladies, we'll see you later. Look me up. I'm Ronnie Chang.
Speaker 9: I had to recognize all the great work Gersh was doing for the New York community.
Speaker 10: Has anybody ever given you a thank you card, a trophy, a plaque, a certificate for the public service you're doing.
Speaker 14: I'd be ridiculous.
Speaker 6: No one's done that. Well that's going to change today, what because on behalf of the Daily Show?
Speaker 13: Oh my god, we got you your own ghost clipt ray as for your girshader, So my favorite ghost plate killer when it comes.
Speaker 14: To Boston ghost plates, who are you gonna call?
Speaker 6: Gersh? Counts men? Wow? Thank you Gersh for being the annoying snitch. New York City needs to keep its streets safe.
Speaker 3: And you can thank me later. Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 12: When we come back.
Speaker 3: Representative Colin all right, we'll be joining me on the Girl, my guest and I represented Texas's thirty second district and is running for the Senate against America's sweethearts Head Cruise. Weare welcome, Representative Colin allready.
Speaker 6: How you doing doing well? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 15: Yeah, this is great, different I usually do so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're fun right now, you guys.
Speaker 15: Are It's a little better than the house right now.
Speaker 3: It's just slightly. That's I mean, that's not saying a lot. That's keeping the bar. It's pretty low. You have such an interesting resume. You're a former NFL player, civil rights yeah, civil rights attorney, congressman, and now currently running against.
Speaker 12: Head Cruz for the.
Speaker 3: Yeah in Texas as a Democrat, which is a bit of an uphill battle. Right right now, you're currently pulling at six points behind. Does it make it worse that you're lagging behind Ted Cruz?
Speaker 15: Of all people, now listen, I'm confident that on November fifth, that Texan's are going to come out and show who we really are. I think we've had enough of twelve years of having an embarrassment. One of the most divisive centers in the country is somebody who I think fundamentally doesn't appreciate who we really are as Texans. I'm a four generation Texan. He was raised by a single mom in Dallas. You know, you mentioned what I've been able to do, but I was able to do that because I had a lot of help from my community for my state. I want to make sure that we can have someone who actually cares about us in the Senate.
Speaker 3: You have said before that you don't Texas doesn't have to be embarrassed by their senator. What is the most embarrassing thing about Ted Cruz? Is it that he fled to Cancun while Texas were in the dark and cold, or that time that he didn't feel the booger on his lip for so long burned in my memory?
Speaker 15: You know, I think there's the antics, right, There's like the you know, reading green eggs and ham on the Senate floor while you're trying to take health care away from forty million people and stuff like that. There's the fact that he podcasts three times a week, which is.
Speaker 6: A lot hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a lot when I.
Speaker 15: Say, senator, But you know when you had that little ROLLI bag when he's coming back from kankun Oh, yes, you know. It's frustrating going through those little rope lines at any time. When you're going through it alone to explain why you abandoned your stake during a statewide crisis, that was really embarrassing.
Speaker 3: That's the topper. That was his hopper. You're a father of two, and you were one of the first members of Congress to take paternity leave. First of all, thank you for your service. And secondly, why is that so rare among your colleagues.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, Well I didn't know that I was going to be the first one I did it. I thought that it was just a normal thing to do, you know. I grew up and not knowing my father, and so for me, I knew that when we had kids that I was going to do it right. And that starts at the beginning. And there's so much.
Speaker 2: We've learned a lot.
Speaker 15: There are so many benefits for when men take leave in those early days, it's better for the men themselves, for their spouses for their kids. And you know this is not available to every American and I want to make sure that it is. And that's one of the things I've been working.
Speaker 6: Because you.
Speaker 15: And I both know that those early days are tough. Oh yeah, and when you're welcoming, you know your bundle of joy is also coming with a whole lot of other things that are changing your life. And you know, I don't think it's right that we're the only major developed country in the world that doesn't have a national paine policy.
Speaker 3: But not agree more. Texas was one of the first states to criminalize abortion. What would be your plans to protect and restore women's reproductive rights?
Speaker 15: As you mentioned, my wife and I we've had two boys in Dallas in the last five years, and I went to every ultrasound appointment, every genetic testing. And you know those rooms when you're having those conversations with your doctor, they're too small to have somebody like Ted Cruz in there with you. What's happening in Texas is really it's a tragedy. We've had twenty six thousand women who had to get birth to their rapist child since these laws went into place. We've had stories like Kate Cox. It was a mother of two who had a much want and third pregnancy. She'd go to the emergency room four times. Her doctor said she needed a medically necessary abortion, and she asked her state, can I have it close to home because I have a one and a three year old at home. They said no, And they didn't just say no, it's if you do this, we're going to prosecute you, your doctor, your hospital. We have counties saying you can't drive through the county if you're going to use the roads to access an abortion. I mean, that doesn't sound like freedom to me. And I know one thing about us is Texans, so we believe in freedom, and so to me, the only way that we can restore this right to Texas women and families is at the federal level by codifying Roe v.
Speaker 8: Wade.
Speaker 15: And I'm not saying a little.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Voter turnout is going to be critical for you to flip the seat. It's been estimated that nine point five million registered voters didn't vote in the last election. How will you encourage Texans to get out and vote and does it rhyme with moorshin well?
Speaker 15: As you mentioned as a civil rights lawyer, but I was a voting rights lawyer, specifically before I ran for Congress. To me, there's nothing more important than getting you know, Texans and our fellow Americans engaged in our democracy. And in Texas, we make it way too difficult to vote. But I want folks to know there's a reason why they're trying to make it harder for you to vote. Why are they trying to take your voice away? Why are they trying so hard to make it difficult for you to be engaged? Don't let them do it right? And to our young people, you know, it's like one of these things where you wouldn't let your grandparents pick your playlist for the next six years.
Speaker 12: I don't want to.
Speaker 15: Pick your centermer right, you know, so?
Speaker 12: You know so?
Speaker 15: I mean, I think it's also true that we have to talk about what's at steak, you know. To me, in Texas, what's at steak is our fundamental freedoms. If taken away a woman's right to choose, the ability to make your own decisions about your body. They're banning books, They're kicking kids out of school because of their hairstyle. I mean, to me, this is fundamentally about who we are as Texans and as Americans, and we have to restore freedom in Texas and across this country. And I think folks are going to come out and stand up for that.
Speaker 3: You serve on the Foreign Affairs Committee. We just recently found out that seven aid workers were killed in Gaza due to Israel air strikes. Does that give you any hesitation to providing Israel with bombs?
Speaker 15: Listen, this is a horrible tragedy, and these folks were there to feed folks who are suffering from famine, extreme conditions. They've done it around the world, and to me, it's an incredibly noble venture that they're engaged in to try and make sure that we can combat these conditions. And as I see it, October seventh was a tragedy and the response in many ways has been incredibly difficult to deal with. Our role, I think has to be to try and ensure that we as we're negotiating foreign extended cease fire, that we have these hostages come home and that we find a way forward in which there's two states existing peacefully next to each other.
Speaker 6: And that has to be all then go.
Speaker 15: And we've had a difference, you know, this has been our policy for some time, but in some ways I think it had drifted away in a strange way. I think this is a highlight of the need that we come back to this, that we make sure that we have a peaceful and independent Palacitian state next to a stable, democratic and Jewish Israeli state and these folks co exist because we, honestly we cannot continue down this road.
Speaker 3: I so appreciate the work that you do, and I so appreciate you being on the show tonight. I wish you the best of luck. Representative Colin Allred. You pick rank and we'll be right back up today.
Speaker 1: Now trading the symbol DJT, which makes it hard to find on the internet because every time you put dollar sign DJT and you do get Dow Jones Transportation. So just remember that if you might be. It kept coming up as Dow Jones transportation.
Speaker 6: A mixed for me today and I was like, what the hell is this?
Speaker 1: Fifteen thousand?
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast.