Speaker 1: I'm Davis Miller, author of the acclaimed international bestseller The Dao of Muhammad Ali. We're going to share with you some of the ways Ali transformed my life and the lives of innumerable others while we deeply explore what few people who never met Ali realize that during the second half of his life, his years away from the public eye, Muhammad Ali became an even greater man than he'd been during his time as a boxer. Maybe you're wondering why this strange title, The Tao of Muhammad Ali. Well, the Chinese word Dao means way or path. Think of this simply as the way or the path of Muhammad Ali. Living in the Tao is living in harmony with nature, with the natural world. My great friend Ali was the most natural person I've ever known, the most natural man I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Who, throughout his life, moved with his.
Speaker 1: Own flow, writing his own personal path, his own stream. And I want to confide in you how I spent a good chunk of my own life following the path that Ali started me on. But before I do, let's hear from Ali himself about whether the cost he paid for that influence was worth it. Here our story begins the Taal of Muhammad Ali, Episode one, Paradise Lost.
Speaker 3: I look at all my world, fame, the people I'm helping. I look at all I've done physical and love, physicle, and I've added all of them.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do it all of the.
Speaker 1: Muhammad Ali saved my life. He continues to save my life even today. He saved it and transformed it and enlarged it many, many, many times over. When I first saw him, he was young and glowing and was in process of becoming King of the world. I, on the other hand, was this puny, skinny, sickly, little white kid and wished to say the North Carolina. My mom had died just a few months before of a kidney disease that we didn't know was fatal, and I blamed myself for her death.
Speaker 2: I shut down.
Speaker 1: I was hugely depressed, catatonically depressed, didn't talk hardly at all, and I also quit eating and taking fluids. I was so miserable and sickly I had to be admitted to the hospital, where I was pumped full of fluids until I had some strength back. The first time I always saved my life was when I got out of the hospital. I was sitting in front of my dad's little black and white TV, flipping channels. Suddenly I landed on this voice and his face, and the voice said I'm young and handsome and fast and pretty and can't possibly be beat. And it lit me up. I felt like the glory train had passed through me. Suddenly. I was no longer miserable, at least in those moments and the moments of hearing the voice and seeing the face. Every word that came out of his mouth was music. It was lyrical, and I wanted music to live inside me. I wanted to be music. In addition to the music. It was Ali's bombacity that I connected with. That's not the way everybody else thought of Awi. He was possibly America's most despised person, at least by white folk.
Speaker 2: I wasn't one of those white folk.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm as white as white can be, but internally I wasn't. I was different, and Ali gave me a path to follow. All through my high school years, I lived vicariously through Awi. I was the smallest kid in school. My nickname was Fetus. At sixteen, I was four foot ten weighed less than seventy pounds. I was pushed into lockers and locked up inside them, shoved into the girls' restrooms, punched in the belly, or ignored. But no matter what kids did to me, I had this safe place inside me where I was the Great Ali. Other geeky kids like myself live vicariously through the Flash, Superman, the Green Lantern, Batman, the Mighty Thor. But for me, the man, the one man, was Muhammad Ali. No matter how kids treated me in school, though I wanted to be one of them, I wanted to be seen as cool. And the coolest kids in my high school were the ones who were also the stupidest. So I went out of my way to make myself stupid. I'm almost twenty years old and I graduated third from the bottom out of a class of fifteen hundred kids. I flunked everything that could be flunked. I even flunked PE. And despite the fact that I flunked English four years in a row and even had two senior years in high school, I became a writer. And I became a writer because of my man Ali. After high school, I had no ability, no interest in anything other than being an Ali fan. So I decided I'm going to become Muhammad Ali Junior. And I went into training at twenty years old. By that time, I was probably eighty five pounds. I'd grown to my full adult height of five to seven whooh, and I couldn't even do a single push up. Yet within six months of hard grinding work, I was doing five hundred to one thousand push ups a day. I was running five miles a day, and I was spending hours of each day living as if I could become Ali Junior.
Speaker 2: I was doing up to ten rounds a day.
Speaker 1: On the heavy bag, on the speed bag, I'm doing ten rounds of shadow boxing, sparring everybody who was far with me, my puny little self, working toward becoming a great fighter. Now, of course I never made it, but I thought that I could, and the effort changed me both inside and out.
Speaker 2: I was in the flow.
Speaker 1: I didn't so much want to hurt people or get hurt, as it was a kind of marriage, a way of getting closer to people. I patterned everything I did after Ali I had his snake click of a jab. I got to where I could throw a beautiful lead right hand. I could throw five to six punches per second. Man I was full of beans. I thought I was something, and it would take me years to find out that I wasn't. But during the time I thought I was something, I had a karate buddy, Bobby. He was ali trainer Angelo Dundee's nephew. He knew I was this huge Ali fan. Bobby said, why don't you drive up to training camp in dear Lake, Pennsylvania. Ali is training to fight Joe Bugner for the World Heavyweight Championship, and I'll see if I can get you in the ring with him. And I didn't believe he could do that, but I wanted to see Ali in person anyway. So I hop in my old Camaro and I drive six hundred plus miles from Winsday Salem, North Carolina to Deer Lake, Pennsylvania. The firthest I'd ever been from my dad's house. And I go up to ali assistant trainer, Drew Bondini Brown, and I tell him who I am, who sent me? And I ask, is there any possibility that Ali will get in the ring with me?
Speaker 2: And the next thing.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm in a dressing room pulling on this pair of red Everlast trunks I bought just for this occasion, I hear his voice from outside the dressing room. He's already in the ring, and he's talking to the maybe seventy five spectators who'd each paid one dollar to watch him train. He introduces me to the crowd, is this great karate master? And I wasn't grated anything, but it sure felt good that he said I was. And I step out of the dressing groove and climb awkwardly up into the ring, parting the ropes, trembling all over. This huge god of a man is standing in front of me, looking so beautiful, copper colored skin and amazingly fit. Before the bell ring, I was so nervous I thought I was going to pee in my trunks. The bell rings and I start dancing to the left in exactly the style I learned from Ali. Now suddenly I'm not nervous.
Speaker 2: I zing a.
Speaker 1: Jab out toward him. He pulls away effortlessly. I'm trying my best. What can I hit this guy with that he's never seen before? So I vault a front kick toward his face and he pulls away as easily as if he's been pulling away from kicks his entire life.
Speaker 2: Man, he's just toying with me.
Speaker 1: He sticks out a lot white coated tongue and he goes and he sits back on the second strand of ropes, where his head is almost level with my own nail, and he waves me in with this brisk flick of his gloves, and I fake a jab, throw a kickboxing shot, a spinning backfist, and I hook off it and tag him with another backfist.
Speaker 2: I caught him with all three punches.
Speaker 1: That was too bad for me because it woke him up, and his eyes got round and wide, and he throws one fly swatter jab at me. It buckles my legs, and I can't see and I can't hear. My legs go to slow turtle soup beneath me, and he knows he could knock me out with a single shot. Of course, instead he drapes a long arm across my shoulders and speaks to me tenderly. No old man had ever spoken to me that kindly before, other than my own father. And he says, you're fast. You sure can't hit to be so little. He may as well have said he was adopting me. What can I possibly say that would impress the world's most famous and admired man. He had just told me I was fast and that I hit hard.
Speaker 2: What can I do?
Speaker 1: And I hesitate and then I say, I know.
Speaker 2: Well, here we are.
Speaker 1: We're with my friend and co host Craig Mortali, Emmy Award winning producer and pale of Mohammads. Greg produced a documentary called Muhammad Ali Still the Greatest, which won the Cable Ace Award for Best Sports dot Com Documentary. We are the odd couple lemen in mathol.
Speaker 4: We are the.
Speaker 5: Odd couple, aren't we.
Speaker 1: We're distinctly different guys, But I think that our point of connection is with Muhammad.
Speaker 2: He let both of us into his life.
Speaker 5: Well, many people over the years covered Mohammad as a matter of journalism. There are others over the years, long before us, when he was fighting, that got to be close to Mohammad. And I think he only let you close if he enjoyed your company.
Speaker 2: This is a terrible time in the world for young men.
Speaker 1: The people that they have as role models are not the best folks out there. Young men are really struggling with their violence, with sort of a dead end life and not knowing where to go.
Speaker 2: You and I were lucky Craig Mortally.
Speaker 1: We were extremely lucky to have found Muhammad Ali, and we were extremely lucky to have had good parents. Let's give it back to those kids in the current generation.
Speaker 5: We are now joined by someone who has a deep personal connection to Muhammad Ali, the former heavyweight champion of the World, James Buster Douglas. Along with his longtime trainer and best buddy John Russell, James was a forty two to one underdog against the seemingly invincible Mike Tyson. Buster knocked out Mike Tyson in the tenth round in Tokyo, Japan, February eleventh, nineteen ninety. Gentlemen, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 6: When we were in Tokyo getting ready to fight Tyson, so he James puts his trunks on, then he puts his shoes on, and I look down at his shoes. He's got those red tassels on. I said, Man, he goes Ali Ali.
Speaker 2: Man, he wore him for Ali.
Speaker 4: It was the Honespeeda Heavyweight cham and it was first and foremost thinking about your idol, Muhammad Ali. Let your hands go, be quick and sharp and.
Speaker 6: Showing the world you had to emulate Ali, and Buster looked up to Ali.
Speaker 7: He had to move like Ali and use that jab.
Speaker 6: Ali was a big part of that win for us, a big part of that wine list.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 5: On a flight out to Tokyo, you had a copy of Sport magazine which had Davis's article Mike Tyson can be beat Iron. Mike's legend may be invincible, but he's not. You had a copy of that and you shared it with Buster playing right.
Speaker 6: I had had the magazine and I had read that, and I was like, the hell is this guy?
Speaker 7: He actually knew what he was talking about, Jesus.
Speaker 6: So I read the article a couple of times a matter of fact, and I says, I'm gonna show this to James because a lot of what we have been preparing to do for three months, right, James. So he read it, and then we both read it together and I said, it's kind of amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah he did. David Davis knows what he's doing.
Speaker 6: But we're, hey, James, we're not giving him no money, or we're not going to give him no money for but we knew that he was We'll give him some credit. Yeah, yeah, No, Davis, he knew what he was talking about I was confident in Buster.
Speaker 7: But did I tell you we were going to beat Mike Tyson.
Speaker 6: No, I'd be lying because nobody was beating him, right, But I had confidence in James. I said, you got to get by the first two rounds and then by the sixth round.
Speaker 7: He came back to the corner. I said, we got him.
Speaker 5: Buster, take us to the tenth round, that final flurry of punches, and then you dropped Mike Tyson.
Speaker 4: I dropped him once I senhim reach in front of mouthpiece. I knew he was hurt then, and I knew it was over.
Speaker 2: I raised my hand.
Speaker 4: A childhood dream come true. I went in the heavyweight championship of the world. That's something that you always dream of as a child growing up. And that was my moment and I got it. I'll never forget it.
Speaker 5: You were in the corner and just before John was taking your gloves off, you notice the camera was pointing right at you. You mugged for the camera with your mouth opening, your hands up. Were you feeling ali then?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was that was the moment. I did it. You know, I like mugging for the camera, like what's my name?
Speaker 5: John? Not long after the Tyson fight you and Buster went to go see Ali and he revealed his reaction to the fight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we went to this event and Buster was a guest and Ali was a guest. We got together and then Ali invited us up to his hotel suite. So Buster and I went up and we're talking back and forth, and Ali says.
Speaker 7: You want me to show you guys what I did.
Speaker 6: When you knocked up the brat. He called Tyson the brat, not Tyson, he called it the brat. So he sat down on the couch and then he's like he's watching TV like this, and then when Buster knocked him down, Ali got up off the couch and jumped with his hands straight up in the air and screamed, and he goes, that's what I did when you knocked out the Brent. Then he goes, I want you to do me a favor. Bus says, what's that? I want you to have don King cut his hair and us just said, what says? You could tell him you'll go back with him if he cuts his hair, and he'll do it because there's too much money involved.
Speaker 7: Just please do me that fav He was serious. He said, please do me that favorite. Then we sat there and we're talking.
Speaker 6: He looked over at me and he goes, look what Buster did to Tyson. He says, what do you think I would have done to him? He was very adamant, but he was funny as he was really happy for James.
Speaker 7: He was happy at he for Jim.
Speaker 4: And that that was one of the most exciting moments in my career.
Speaker 7: Mine too.
Speaker 4: I moved him, you know, my skills and talent just shocked and moved him, impressed him. That was a moment that I always remember the rest of my life.
Speaker 5: What were you thinking when you saw your hero out there severing through his illness.
Speaker 4: How strong he was, how he endured and he continued to push on. You know, he lived his life all the way to the end. He never gave up, stand up human being in a proud Black man.
Speaker 7: We still talk about him.
Speaker 6: I said, a week doesn't go by that we don't have a conversation about Ali.
Speaker 7: That's what kind of drew me.
Speaker 6: To Davis, because of Ali, because of his relationship with Ali and how much Ali liked him, and all that stuff that drew me to him. That honest guy that drew me to Davis.
Speaker 1: James Man, I really liked hanging with you way back in nineteen ninety. I remember you told me the one thing you learned from Ali was to be kind to people. I learned that from him too. I was a shy, messed up kid who never talked to anybody, and Ali inspired me as a kid. But then when I got to know him as a grown up, as an adult, that's something I really picked up from him. If I could take my kids to drive through, I talked to whoever's behind the counter, Wahi's name in a lot I'll say every once a while. You know, I was friends with Muhammad Ali, and what he would say to you right now is he'd say.
Speaker 2: You are the prettiest, you are the greatest. Believe it and get out there and be it that lights people up. Do you feel that it had that effect on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a beautiful thing. That's a beautiful thing. That's that's something that you can take with you. Or meeting Ali and being around Doley is to be humble and more outgoing, more acceptive to a lot of people that you may have not normally been like that. Absolutely, now there's something that you gain that you get from Ali. Being around Loley being in his presence.
Speaker 1: He treated almost everybody like family. Every once while he'd shy away from somebody. I trust his instincts on that, But for the most part, it was like he did with you guys.
Speaker 4: You know, it just rubs off on you.
Speaker 1: He treated people as if they really mattered and if they were part of his family, and they were part of him.
Speaker 4: In a strong presence, larger than life.
Speaker 1: I want to tell you my story of what happened after you knocked out Tyson. Everybody in the world started calling me. I worked out of the house and I had a phone upstairs. Back in the days when you know, there were no cell phones. Everything was still plugged into the wall. And the phone up in my office was ringing. The phone downstairs was ringing, and then it kept bringing upstairs, kept bringing downstairs. I was in bed asleep. I woke up and I answered the phone downstairs, and it was my wife's brother. He said, Tyson just got knocked out. Douglas just knocked out Tyson. I turned to my wife and I said, the brat just got knocked out. Then I went upstairs and checked on my phone in my office and it was all lit up, and I started playing back the messages. It was one from my editor at Sports magazine called me, Davis, this is great. You can't imagine the timing on this that you had that had to beat Mike Tyson piece and then Douglas knocked him out. And then it was like the fourth or fifth message there was his voice, and the voice said, they're still going to compare Tyson to me now, and it was behind. It was the same thing as when you met him in that hotel room. And so when I met you, I felt that connection too. You were the same size as Mohammed, which is another thing that was part of how you were just made to order to whoop Tyson's ass. Not only the jab, but you had that reach so mobile, the beautiful right hand, the beautiful uppercut, you had it, all, all the tools, and you put them together in that fight on that night.
Speaker 4: Total folks.
Speaker 6: Ali was to me was the greatest fighter of all time. And I think the only person that was close to him was Sugar Ray Robinson. Ali was the best of all time. And Jame's one of the nicest guys I've ever met in my life. He's just a special individual. He's carrying the whole time I've known him, I saw mad like maybe once.
Speaker 7: We rode Parley's together. So he had rode up to my house.
Speaker 6: I lived in an acron and he lived at Columbus, and I was going to go over to my aunt and to see my mom.
Speaker 7: My mom was over there. James, you want to go? He says, yeah, let's go. So he went over. It was my mother, my aunt, and my.
Speaker 6: Uncle in the house, all elderly, and so me and Buster rode our bikes went in the house. We had talked for quite a while and my aunt says to my mom.
Speaker 7: She goes, man, those two guys are good friends. And she goes, no, they're brothers.
Speaker 4: And that's him.
Speaker 7: That's how he is. Till my uncle died, and he lived to be like two months from a hundred.
Speaker 6: My aunt said every time someone come in that house and sit on that couch, he would look at them and say, that's exactly where Buster Douglas sat.
Speaker 7: That's Buster Douglas. That's Buster Douglas. One of the nicest men I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 1: He is a completely sweet man, James, and I felt that on you from the moment I first met you. It's a gift.
Speaker 4: Well, it was something that not only got from Ali, but with my mother and father as well. They were very charitable people. Growing up. A house was one of the central spots in the neighborhood where the kids came and hanged out at and my father worked at the rect Center as well. Boxing instructed when I started boxing back in the early seventies, So it was just something that carried over from there, and then media Iley just took it to another level because here was all time Idol was just as nice and kind and generous man's my parents was just a natural jail. I'm back at Columbus Parks and Wreck Boxing Instructed at the same department that I started my parmateur boxing career, at the same program and doing them my father did when I was ten when he introduced me to the sport.
Speaker 7: He's keeping those kids off the streets, is what he's doing.
Speaker 6: They love it, right, Yeah, guys coming in there are homeless, younger guys, and he takes them under his wing, gives them money, feeds them and they come every day to see them. They come every day to see them, and then their mother will call James and thank him.
Speaker 7: For what he's doing. For those guys. He's a good human being. That's what he is.
Speaker 4: Because I can see now the work that my father did back then. I run into individuals that was training with me as a kid that are productive citizens today, and they say how I follow a great influence on them as well, Billy Donomane Douglas, And you know that's a great, great feeling man full circle.
Speaker 1: On our next episode of the Down of Muhammad Ali, at twenty three years old, I fall in love for the first time.
Speaker 2: I fall hard, and when Lynn and.
Speaker 1: I decide to get married, I realized I can no longer play around at being Muhammad Ali Junior, not anymore commitment, responsibility, a new path alive with mystery, responsibility and disappointment. How would Muhammad Ali play into all this? Stay tuned to find out.
Speaker 2: Also, you had some really incredible questions and it took me back.
Speaker 1: Muhammad's daughter Rashida unveils stories about her fun, loving father during his later years.
Speaker 3: The questions made me cry, but also it just made me remember how a special daddy who was to all of us and my kids, and how he's missed every day.
Speaker 1: Next time, on the Dao of Muhammad Ali, the Dao of Muhammad Ali is produced by Imagine Audio for iHeart Podcast and hosted by me Davis Miller. My co host is Craig Mortally, Carl Welker, Mark Bouch, Nathan Kloke, Davis Miller and Derek Jennings are.
Speaker 2: The executive producers.
Speaker 1: Sound design and mixing by Juan Borda, music by DJ Sparr and introducing Isaac Miller. If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to rate and review The Dao of Muhammad Ali on Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast