Speaker 1: Two on the move Darling Jeep Speedways past Hell. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's got I have hands in the playoffs?
Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, I have a long monologue I wrote about team building, quarterback play traits of a quarterback, next process season, just kind of a convoluted way of looking at things and where Dolphins fans might be feeling right now. Plus I want to play some sound from coach McDaniel about going forward, the quarterback position, some of the run game stuff, some valuable commentary among his Tuesday press conference. All of that and more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Drive Time Podcast. Fans of old Locked on Dolphins prior to Kyle Krabs when I was the host of that show the twenty nineteen season, and one of my favorite comments to read was how that podcast got a lot of Dolphins fans through a very tough season. And not that we're there already, but you can see remnants of it. I've spoken about it on the Film podcast, on the Sunday podcast about my fears of this thing potentially going off the rails quickly if things don't change and if you don't get the quarterback back. And that year, I had a lot of content that was based around other NFL happenings and a lot a lot of draft content and college football content as we geared up for that run and that build with all those picks and all that money. Of course, you don't have the picks and the money this time around, but you might. You might, depending on how everything goes. We have fourteen games left, you might be dipping back into that quarterback pool once again. So I want to start today's podcast with some commentary, and even before that, some commentary to set up the commentary. So the first thing here this is show housekeeping. That dolphin sound drop in and out of breaks was mostly a joke. I thought it was funny, and sometimes I use this podcast as my own playground for funny one thing or one that I probably let it run a little bit too long. To be honest with you guys, I kind of space it on that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'll admit that. Take a mea colpa to that.
Speaker 1: But one thing I found funny was I told myself the minute somebody talks about it on social media or in the reviews or comes up to me and says, hey, you got to get rid of that, I'm gonna move it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take it out of the show.
Speaker 1: And that's what I'm doing today because somebody on Twitter told me, for the love of God, please take out the Dolphins SoundBite, and so I'm gonna go ahead and do that, and I have a new transition sound in and out of breaks. That's what I've been hearing on another podcast. Trying to do my best to make this podcast grow and get better. So we're gonna do that. Okay, housekeeping done off the top here. Second, I've been thinking a lot about this, and I want to make perfectly clear that I don't know what the future holds with one with OOS, But I also don't think it's as simple as you are eligible to come off the ir you are the starting quarterback against the Arizona Cardinals when you get back.
Speaker 2: Maybe it is, I hope it is.
Speaker 1: If you told me that was the case guaranteed, and in fact, after the Buffalo game, it took me like five days to get over what felt like a breakup before I thought all right, I'm ready to go. And then right after that happened, we got the Tua to IR news and it felt right back in the same place.
Speaker 2: So if if we get to a healthy.
Speaker 1: And for every game back in, baby, I think they can overcome the offensive ras early on. That's what the beginning part of the season typically is, even if it hasn't been that way for the Dolphins in the past couple of years.
Speaker 2: I would buy all the way back in. But I don't think it's that simple.
Speaker 1: But if it is, and you tell me I get him back for the Cardinals game, I am saying that press box on Monday night, clutching my Aqua orange tinted binoculars with each of these next three games, really not just the Monday night game, with the intensity of somebody desperate four win. I think you guys know that, right. You have to know that. Hell, this podcast has finally gotten back to more truth than my own thoughts opposed to you know, I guess, more bureaucratic type of podcasting these last couple of years, And I'm just happy as hell about that. I think the audience here can come along with me on that thought right, understands that thought right. But the way I see it, man, if ain't to at some point, then brother, what is even the point? And I hate saying this because it's so much bigger than one player every team in the league is. It's so much bigger than the future. You have a ton of people that put in more time than even humanly comprehendible to put their bodies on the line each week, and they deserve a fighting chance. Like when I think about the future and changes in the draft, all of that stuff, even thinking about now, it makes me like sad that it's September I'm having this conversation. But when I think about that, I harken back to a Zach Steeler who works his butt off and does everything the right way and refuses to come off the field and dominates the opposition all day long. And for what for the offense to score three points and for the fans to be interested in the draft next season? Like, it's tough. It's a tough dichotomy. And I absolutely condemned the reaction after a game or two to call for replacements, whether it's on the field or in the coaching positions. I think it's just knee jerk reaction that has been amplified by the onset of social media and our addiction to takes and firing off our emotions every chance we get. And I say, all of that is someone who's starting to have the exact same questions about the same issues persisting and what that might mean and if it continues, then what is next. So please don't take that as a holier than thou comment. I promise it's not that. But damn it, man, there are two things I've learned recently, and I think you have to approach this sport and really this league, because it's you know, there's so much parody and it's so tight every single week. You have to approach it kind of like professional poker players do. And for those that never watched poker, you know, during the boom back in the early two thousands, like Doyle Brunson, the legend og of the game, used to always say, you spend your whole life trying to master this game. But it's a useless pursuit because it is impossible to master it. And I think about covering the NFL in that way a lot like, I feel like I really really know what I'm talking about with quarterbacks. I think the track record speaks for itself. There I have plenty of blind spots. I think I've probably missed on cornerbacks more than any other spot. I thought Noah Igbinoghny was going to be a really good player, way wrong, way wrong on that. But there's definitely positions that are worse than others. But one thing I picked up over all that time was the importance of the operation and coaches. Like when people can't fathom why, for instance, all the firepower this team like the Bears has, why is it such a slog offensively, It's like, yeah, dude, are you from earlier with Shane Waldron's history, are you aware of how he basically kind of removed the combination of DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett and Jackson Smith and Jigbo and that offense to what it should be and how criminal that kind of is sprinkling a quarterback whose first instinct is to create an out athlete better athletes than he is. Wasn't that way in college, right, and it worked, But now you get the sloppy offense like the Bears have run out and any semblance of competence in those two positions. They're three and zero right now, but they haven't got that so staking quality coaching and play designers. That was a lesson I took a while back, and damn it, it's why I've been so bullish on these Dolphins the last three years. And I'll tell you why. I don't think the Dolphins are gonna be a good team I think right now. And it's not a good situation.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This isn't even one of the lessons I wanted to discuss. The two that I do want to discuss, or I guess it's maybe even three or four are this turnarounds don't happen because of total personnel upheaval. Maybe sometimes you can get that, maybe it lasts for a year, but you can often lose that magic down the road at some point. Look look at us, like we were out of the gates, red hot, and look where we are in year three. It seems to be a tortuous cycle for Dolphins fans. Go to the playoffs your first year, by year three, it's like, what the hell do we have here? And I'm not saying that's where we are right now, but it's trending that way, right, despite the fact that year two was the best year two of really any coach since Wants Dead, I suppose. But the best example of that of how sometimes it's changed within is the Buffalo Bills last year. Remember how dead in the water that team was, had the three game lead in the division. There was a thirty two page column with twenty three sources bagging on Sean McDermott and the entire operation around there. All they did after that was go five and zero, beating US Kansas City and Dallas, all teams that won eleven plus games last year. And you might say, well, Travis, you had they fired their offensive cooridator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. They did.
Speaker 1: They changed it and it got better. But watch those Joe Brady games last year, because it was not the design that was winning games for that football team. It was just players executing better. It was a quarterback with absolutely fu I'm a dog mentality willing his team to victories in those spots. More on that in a moment. The other part to me is that we spend way too much time trying to assess what we see on paper, and never mind the the analytics community dunking on Tom freaking Brady. You see did you guys see this? I'll a call out names. It was Aaron Shatz and Kevin Cole talking about, like it's too bad that Brady's two ingrained in football nature to not understand the establishing the runs, not even a real thing, like pushing their sunglasses up the bridge of their nose, like well, actually, like get the hell out of here, dude. God, I hate I hate that we now have discourse where you can tell Tom Brady what matters in a football game. The nerve of that, right, I think you see it here with the Fins. Granted, the quarterback play in Seattle was a non starter. You had zero chance to win that game. In those circumstances. It's like throwing me out there on the pitcher's mound for the Seattle Marris. If I pitch a game, we're not gonna win that game. I get, they're like sixty, it's gonna get hit over to lumenfield, over that left field wall and safeg field. But my god, man, a good team, A good team, a team element is more important than a collection of good individuals. And that probably sounds like duh, but I don't think we actually adhere to that. And look no further than the Buffalo Bills last year they lose or this year, I should say they lose to Fon Diggs and what happens the offense looks like the best version it's ever been of itself. I just think there's a heartbeat with a team that we can never measure on paper. And it's the core reason why every year, myself, other pundits fans do these predictions and just say, well, I guess I don't know nothing about the league. It's impossible to predict. Yeah, it is, but I thirst to know why that's the case. And in a sport where most games come down to three or four critical plays or officiating calls or decisions that you make, I think that team element. I think that's what galvanizes better play in those moments that ultimately decides winners and champions. The next thing is this, and this all ties together to me. Spotting quality quarterback play is easy. I just think it is. Now that probably reads super super super conceded in a league where half the first round picks or busts. I won't dispute that, but it starts with this. How does this person understand structure, design, movement, game theory, their internal clock. Do they have a relationship with their brain and their arm that understands how to properly adjust the arm to make the required throw for any given pass? And then their field vision and anticipation trumps all of that. And the play I'm gonna use for an example is the same quarterback from the team we just talked about, Josh Allen. He was this marvelous, marvelous ball of clay, the singular most impressive spece him in the position has ever seen. Right, Cam Newton says, hello, but man, Josh is one of one to me. And if you're looking for a silver lining, here quick tangent Dolphins fan Cam Newton's play fell off of a cliff after the twenty eighteen season. That was his eighth year in the pros. He played three more, but he was not a good player anymore. Josh Allen's in his seventh year, and while I think he'll get more years than that, I do think it's fair to wonder what his game might look like in year ten with a very similar play style to Cam Newton. I just don't think that lasts for twenty years, and brother, man, it sucks that we did that with Brady for what a solid seven or eight years, Like from twenty thirteen on, we're like, this might be the year the production tails off, and then he played till he's forty six or whatever it was forty four. Now here we are again with a player who, while not as accomplished, I mean, seems even tougher to defend than Brady was. Right, and he certainly is that way against us. We actually beat Brady a lot, never beat Josh Allen. Okay, tangent over reason I bring up Josh and the physical traits. There are two things with him that tell me, yeah, he is in fact him. First, he developed the ability to be a plus player in that first category the vision word salad I gave you earlier. That's a baseline, non negotiable skill set that you must have to play this position at this level, no question about that. That's why JaMarcus Russell, Jake Locker, Zach Wilson, Josh Rosen give me any bust quarterback with physical skills, and Rosen kind of feels like a black sheep of that group. But people loved his arm coming out of college. But give me any bust quarterback with physical skills, and I can show you on the tape the inability to see the football field. That's why when people were saying Schyler Thompson's the best quarterback on the roster, I was like, Bro, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Watch Josh on second and ten plays, he sorts through the defense that knows passes coming. They're not going to run the ball on second and ten. When you have Josh Allen shouldn't run the ball on second and ten ever, But I digress. They'll play passive and prevent the big plays. And he's plenty happy to one hitch timing catch rock throw, shoot this hookup route to the second level of the defense, six yards over the football, easy catch, and if we get another two yards from forward, lean and cool, it's gonna be third and two. If not third and four, also fine. He takes those plays and puts himself in position to make plays elsewhere out of structure when things break down. But without those plays, without those core setup plays, the playmaking cannot exist. See Caleb Williams right now. It's the same exact thing for Josh, specifically becoming a beast against these soft spots in the short passing game against zone coverages was such a diabolical element to add to his game because you cannot play man coverage against that guy and contain him in the pocket for the entire game. He will burn you with his legs and physicality if you do that. So that's where quarterback discourse to me should start with the process, and then we can talk about the playmaking. And with Jaden Daniels buddy on Monday night, he sure feels come fable back there.
Speaker 2: He knows what he's seeing.
Speaker 1: It allows him to play patient and with poise and comfort, and then you get the fun playmaking on top of all that. Now, I also mentioned the fu element of Josh Allen's game. That's another thing that I think hardened Josh Allen this miserable career at Wyoming with some hideous rosters and surrounding talent. And I pose that question to Kyle Krabs on the Friday podcast last week, and I thought he expanded upon it. Well, it's more about generating adversity during a very developmental stage of a young man's life. Right, These young men don't even have fully developed brains. Their frontal cortex is not fully developed until age twenty five, right? Is that kind of how that works? So in those formative years, if it's all sunshine and rainbows and five stars and competition, that you are flat out better than across the board. Is it cake walk games until your rivalry game in the college football playoff and you basically only have two tough challenges a season. Or are you trying to will these glorified high school pros to Mountain West victories? Are you told that you're not good enough by a major program like Borough Ohio State or Daniels at Arizona State, both eventually going to LSU where they want heismans and all this ties together. I think about one element of quarterback scouting that I'm putting more stock into this year, And though it might be a hey, don't fix what ain't broken, baby situation, I look at this as adding skills to my rollodecks, much like Josh learning how to decipher his own coverage rules and how to exploit it. I want to go ahead and put a pin in it. Rate there we're up against a break, comeback on the other side, and continue this monologue next in the draft time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. So I mentioned how this all ties together, how I want to add this quarterback scouting element to my rolodecks of scouting quarterbacks. I think you have to be able to do the background on a player to find out what he's made of. I need to see how he interacts with his teammates on the sideline, What is his demeanor in the fourth quarter down by a touchdown with the football in his hands, what's his demeanor like at the podium? How does he communicate the way he sees, the way he leads, the way he's coached, the way he communicates with his teammates. I previously had more of an analytics approach to it, where I just focused on the tape and what I learned from the tape from a trades perspective, and that has value, but I think it doesn't uncover some of the maybe timidness or just the way a guy's heart beats.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But even if we're not on the scouting trail talking to coaches or going to the librarians that you know operate the study hall for these guys, or the front desk worker at the gym to find out how they treat people, how they're wired. I think you can uncover some of that with what you have available to you as a fan. And all of that takes me to this. With regards to the Miami Dolphins, Tua has the first trait obviously, right, That's why he is who he is. It's why he's a two hundred million dollars quarterback. I think that's proof of concept that that is the most important trait because we know too was not a creator, but he's a high level quarterback capable of hitting intricate concepts, maximizing players' ability to make plays after the catch because of his location, but also the timing out of breaks and maximizing separation to create the most amount of space for those playmakers to operate within. He's a high level processor, a decision maker with a wicked release that is kind of transcend into the game. All winning traits that are kind of imperative to play the position. I think the questions are heart rate in those big moments, which has proven out over the first few years of his career, and I would say this is more of a younger brother element, but true drop back downs to operate consistently and create when out of structure when things aren't there, which again I think is overplayed. But I digress, and that first part ties back to the football background, and I bring it up because it informs me for what else I think needs to be accounted for when doing all of this. That aside the reason I wanted to get to this and the reason I think we are all we all feel like football's we know it is kind of over, at least for Dolphins fans perspective. I keep making the comparison it's so freaking brutal to watch bad football. I mean, let's call it what it is. And here's another lesson that I learned. I remember one time I was in Seattle with my girlfriend at the time now wife, and we took an Uber to a Mariors game and the Uber driver was dogging my Dolphins. I think I was wearing a hat or something. The year after they made the playoffs in twenty sixteen, and I'm like, they're a good team. They're in the playoffs, but I don't think that's a qualifier. Now I've changed my mind on that, and as I trace it back, like damn man, I defended that twenty thirteen team that blew it late in the year, saying that was a good team. The twenty eighteen team, like I was a good team too. Hell, even the twenty eighteen that won the Division. I defended those squads as good football teams, but they weren't that.
Speaker 2: You're not a good football.
Speaker 1: Team if you roll into the wild card round and you can tell from the opening drive that it is OVA in two thousand and eight, completely overmatched by Ed Reid and the Ravens defense. In twenty sixteen, Antonio Brown did whatever the hell he wanted to do in that game, right down the field, three and out offense, right down the field, fourteen point deficit as a double digit dog. If you're a double digit dog in a playoff game, you're probably not a bigod football team or your quarterbacks hurt. But last year's Dolphins went healthy. Man, that was a good football team. Twenty twenty two when they were rolling, that was a good football team. And please spare me with the losses. All good teams lose games to good teams on the road. Granted they never got over the hump ultimately, but those were good teams. And if you couldn't see that. That's on you, dog. But you know what, getting two years of good football teams did kind of ruined the damn game, didn't it in the lens of this team? Ain't that good? Like I go back to the Dolphins, and this is where this all leads to look at the playoff years you've enjoyed as Dolphins fan, the last twenty years. Two thousand and eight, what they have Chad Pennington was a good quarterback that year, right, wasn't great, was a good quarterback twenty sixteen. This is an outlier because Tannehill had plenty of years here, but you and I know that that was the most efficient football of Ryan tannehills Dolphins career. And he went on to prove in Tennessee that you can win with that guy because he has those straits that are good enough. He's not great quarterback, they were good enough from the Pittsburgh went on that year, he was mostly sharp right, supporting Jagie in that running game. Twenty twenty two was Tua and twenty twenty three was Tua. Those are the four playoff years going back to the freaking Bush administration or even Clinton. I don't even know and now about every other year not good quarterbacks. Now, again, those twenty eight twenty sixteen teams were steep playoff dogs. They were not good teams. They were above average teams who found ways to close out games against less ends like beating A four and eight Seahawks teams.
Speaker 2: Not impressive to me right at home.
Speaker 1: I suppose you could argue that twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three was the same because of the results. They didn't have it, they didn't get past that first round of the playoffs. But I would push back hard on that, because again, those were good football teams when not decimated. But what's the common factor here, the common theme. It's the quarterback position. You have to have good quarterback play to win consistently in this league. It's why like when Titans fans like, well, we made a good defense this year, built a good defense. Yeah, who's your quarterback, bruh? You know, like it matters, and the more elite your quarterback is, the better your odds of making it up the mountaintop. And that brings us to the final conclusion here. I keep thinking about that hit that Tua took or the hit that he gave out to tomorrow Hamlin that that knocked him unconscious in the field. I keep thinking about how easy it was for that to happen on a pretty routine football play. I don't think it's possible to completely remove, you know, that possibility in a violent, dangerous game that is football. And I think about the optics, you know, whateveryone says after these injuries happen, the quick trip right to the ir what the outpouring of commentary is about him when this happens, When it happens again down the road eventually. So if we are indeed back in this position, let's say he gets bad advice and doesn't come back this year and you can't like continue on that, and if he gets hurt again and you have these guarantees, then what do you do. So let's say that you get to that position after twenty years of searching and finding the and losing it just like that, freaking torturous again. This is why you can come for the scouting reports right here, because if that happens, I am going to be watching every single snap of all these top college quarterbacks. And before I mentioned a few of the guys, the final conclusion is that without that guy. You are wasting your time in this league now if you have to have that elite quarterback and you want him to be as close to Mahomes and Allen as possible. I think that's cam Ward. You guys do that though I'm in the very early stages of the rest of this class. But cam Ward man the leaps and bounds. That what I talked about with Jaden Daniels and Joe Burrow and getting that development in college. You have seen that with him. He's the guy that lines up in the line of scrimmage and says, we're gonna run the ball right here down your throats. He's the guy that waives the crowd after his fifth touchdown pass the night did after his first touchdown pass the night too. I think he has that dog. He has the creativity, he has ability to win with instructure. He can stress every level of defense because of his arm talent and that relationship between brain and arm, flexibility and elasticity that can whip the.
Speaker 2: Ball all over the yard.
Speaker 1: He is in elite quarterback prospect that I would do anything to get. I think Garrett nus Meyer has some really good traits, and Kyle has been telling about him for the last couple of weeks. Now he's a sure fire Round one guy. I just have to watch more. I can't go further than that. I like my first thought was like, does he have that dog in him? I don't know enough about him to get that far yet. I'm intrigued by Shadur Sanders's game. I'm totally shell shocked by the character and probably want nothing to do with it. Carson Beck, I haven't watched enough of him either, but I just I don't know if I see it off the jump right away, but I haven't studied him yet.
Speaker 2: So that's all of it. Man. I think that you know those quarterbacks like I talked about.
Speaker 1: Jayden Daniels, Joe Burrow, cam Ward spending a billion years in college.
Speaker 2: I think it's good for the game.
Speaker 1: I think it's good for your scouting processes, and I think it gives you an opportunity to hopefully find out about a guy more than what you get when you draft a guy who's played a red shirt season and then had like two years of toning experience. That's the whole Die Tribe quarterbacks and where this team might be. That was a long winded segment I didn't mean to do that that long, But anyway, let's go ahead and take our last break, come back on the other side and hear from coach to discuss some of the things he said at an interesting Tuesday press conference. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by automation. Let's pick it back up here with some of the Tuesday Commander commandary commentary from head coach Mike McDaniel, who was asked about Tim Boyle and him moving the offense and Tyler Huntley and the decision to go with Boyle over Huntley in that second quarterback role last week.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and roll the sound.
Speaker 3: That was something that we uh utilize the week to kind of to kind of assess, you know, you you want to be fair to all parties. You don't want to rush to judgment and assume that that uh, you know, people will assimilate fully knowing that it was going to be, you know, difficult this past week for for you know, a guy getting there on Tuesday to feel comfortable leading the offense, but also a veteran guy, so you just let it play out. At the end of the day, we just thought that you know, the quarterback effects a lot of players every down and down out, and that that Tim was the better option for that moment on that day.
Speaker 2: And that that tracks.
Speaker 1: I don't have any issue with that, because I just don't think you can have a guy get here on Tuesday and expect him to know enough of whatever you want to put in for him to compete on a Sunday this week. I suppose that could change, especially with the extra day of work. We shall see. I'm crossing my fingers for that now. He also addressed Skyler Thompson's performance, and to me, it was a lot of coaches speak early on. I don't want to hear about. You know, some things he wishes he had back. There's flat out just an inability to see the field at all, Like he threw a full back cross checkdown into leverage bypassing the digged tye that was wide open into space, and also the flat for a two by one combination with a blocker in front that he could have had for big yards. Also just horrendous quarterback play. Let's go ahead and play this last part though, that I think is is very informative and very good.
Speaker 3: NFL is full of surprises, and there's no gray. Generally, you're you're either very happy or very very motivated and annoyed with whatever happens. I think there was there was some definitely some results that were were we're not what we're expecting, but you have to It doesn't matter how you feel. Your job is to take whatever it is, however unexpected, and uh figure it out, you know. So I think that's that's where we're at.
Speaker 1: I thought the point about being annoyed, and he got a question about play calling, to which again I appreciate his tone with that, because you know, he made the comment like if the results we didn't score enough points, but what about the process, And he'd be hard pressed to go up against it with results, because you can have a game where you score four touchdowns with the play calls trash, but the players made you right. And he is right about that. And I can see the frustration in his voice when he answers that question, which I think largely is like, you know, that's what he'd here for, is to call this offense. But I thought that the annoyed part matched his tone on the answer that he had through the entire press conference, which to me was a different Mike McDaniel we have gotten in the past, and I'm hoping, I'm hoping what that means is this team is kind of like enough of all the fluff and pomp and circumstance and bs, let's go put our noses down and get to work and make this right. And you can say that should have been the case earlier, and I would agree, but better late than ever. Right, This next one here, I thought was very instructive about the philosophy of outside zone and how the inside runs have worked more this year.
Speaker 3: Let's go to coach, So the outside zone is the starting point for our technique and fundamentals, and you know, the uh basically every play in the in the plan has a accompanied tool if there's overplay to to that play. And you know, I think based upon the structures that we've evaluated during the game, as the opponent trots that are there playing out on the field, I think that there's been some uh you know, pre snap and post snap overplay to to kind of our more perimeter runs. And as a result, we've we've tried to uh to to get some some stuff going with UH, some alternative schemes that that we've always ran, but I think that it we've gotten those called a little bit more and you know, we're we're still uh, you know, working and developing those types of results. So you know, the the four yard plays and eight yard play, the yard plays, sixteen yard play, et cetera, et cetera. So that's, uh, you're always kind of adjusting for the defenses as well as the players that you have. We've had some good combination blocks on the inside zone gap stuff, so well, we'll see how that plays out moving forward.
Speaker 1: It is a little bit funny to me they've gotten overplay, but it's been against the outside run and opened up the inside run with all these massive mac truck lanes they've had on the inside running game. And I think part of that is one the overplay of the defense. A big part of that is too the tight end play has not been good enough for it. And I think that there's like there's obviously a realization of what is there. And you know, I like the mention of different schemes too, like gap stuff and having more pullers and doing things with more man blocking combinations. So we'll see how that works going forward. And then let's go ahead and end it right here with a part that has me hanging on to some excitement because, as you guys can probably figure, I am not interested in watching certain quarterbacks play. But there is one quarterback on the roster that I think can give you a semblance of an offense that can win football games.
Speaker 3: No, you know, if that if that would be the direction, which is a possibility for sure.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The good news is the within the framework of the offense, there's there's typically some some of those principles that are put in intentionally, you know, for the preseason, and that's something that was built within the offense from back from two thousand and twelve. Actually owe to Robert Griffin, the third on that one. And so there the you know, that's the kind of the art of the illusion of complexity. Can you add some stuff? If you do? How is there any The only way that you can is there has to be some overlap into what you already do. You're just because you know, you don't go in and completely change from ground zero everything you do. It has to be within your verbiage and and ways that they've learned how to identify people and and who you're reading and all that. You know, I think there's a balance. You know, you had you had you had some stuff to feature a feature a player, if it's worth it, you know, that's something that can fit within the framework of the other stuff that players do. How to block it and then how can you bridge some of the some of the stuff that people have done in the past to uh, what what you're going to do this week? And you know it's a fine balance. That's not exact science, but you know it's the same thing as there was plans built within or there was plays built within the plan for for Boyle when he came in two know what his what his history had been too. You know, have evaluated on tape to no concepts that overlap with the stuff that we do, and you know that you try to call those when those players are in so that guys can perform, you know, at their optimal.
Speaker 2: Level on the big stage.
Speaker 3: So you know it won't be a full sale. But if we were going to go that direction, you know, we would probably introduced a couple of things that for the coaching staff there's a lot of familiarity with specifically from our history with multiple teams. And then for the players, they they have gotten a dose of that since they've been here. And you know, I think in the first training camp install, I had a couple zone reads in and I think I think I'm pretty sure that in preseason twenty twenty two game two, maybe Skyler actually Ransom And.
Speaker 1: That was of course talking about Tyler hunting how the offense might have to look different with him in the game. So there you go, good stuff from coach McDaniel. We'll come back tomorrow on the podcast and preview the riveting Monday at football game between the Dolphins and Titans. On Friday. We'll have Kyle Krabs and some more commentary for you guys here on the show. But before then, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate, review the show. Go ahead and give me a follow on social at wingfld NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Check out the.
Speaker 1: Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. The Great Kenyon Drake episode is up now. You don't want to miss that. Go ahead and check out the YouTube channel. Brand new episode, Dolphins HQ, comes your way tomorrow night at six o'clock on the Dolphins YouTube channel. Go ahead and hit Miami Dolphins dot com. Caroline and Cameron.
Speaker 2: Wait fins up. Yeah, I forgot. I forgot Caroline and Cameron. Daddy's coming home.
Speaker 3: M m m yeah, m hm