Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 4: Here we are the Players Lounge coming to you from the SWBC podcast studios in Frisco, Texas. Open locker room right now for the Dallas Cowboys as they get ready for Week ones opponent against the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland, Ohio. Miss Simony cleved.
Speaker 2: Down on Lake. What you know about that?
Speaker 4: Yes, Heck Maharis, Barry Church is here. Newi Scruggs, you bring up some good memories. Hacked my hairs when.
Speaker 2: I lived in.
Speaker 4: When I was in Cleveland, man, the two things that you'd bump would be bone thugs and Jeral Lebert.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, that's the mail of Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Loved me Jail he was so one time I worked the Channel five up there and a big, big Jail Oft fan, Big.
Speaker 2: Jeril probably was the OJS fan first, Yes, yes, but it.
Speaker 4: Was a big, big Jerrel Lbert fan. And he had a song that we me and my frat brothers used to sing that he and Keith Sweating did the duet, just one of them things, and uh, great, great great. Anyway, I go downstairs because my office is upstairs. But downstairs, Jerald Lebert is in our building at the assignment desk. Yes, he's there because it was a pretty little lady worked on the desk. He finished the show. Man, I straight up, hey.
Speaker 2: Man, yes, yes, I said.
Speaker 4: We see one of them things all the time. Man, Me and the frid He was like, appreciate, appreciate, nice guy, super nice guy.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Anyway, his passing, his passing hurt me. But a lot of great music. Uh down in the musical roots in Cleveland. You ever get a chance to go there. Uh, you want to go to a Browns game. You want to go to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and you want to take in the game over at the old Jacobs Field now or whatever. They want to cool place, cool place, all right. So the Browns are two point favorites against this Dallas Cowboys team. The Cowboys are bringing Mike Zimmeran to replace Dan Quinn as the defensive coordinator. M HM. When Danny McCrae was a part of the players line. She was all about d Q and d Q we trust. How are we feeling about Mike Zimmer, Guys, y'all barry cowboys about this?
Speaker 6: I think using dan Quinn, I think it's gonna be huge. Do I think it's gonna be detrimental to where they won't have at least a you know, top fifteen defense, though I don't think it'll be that bad. But we all saw, you know, when these when this team switched coordinators from Marionelli to Nolan back a couple of years ago, how how bad that went. And then Quinn came in here and he just shot this defense up with a bunch of life and a bunch of juice.
Speaker 4: And we saw how they played for that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: I mean, every single one of those players went out there and they gave it their all for dan Quinn. And whether it's turning over, turning over the football, getting after the quarterback, whatever the case may be, each of those guys had career seasons under dan Quinn. And that's something that I don't think people can just sit there kind of dismiss like, Okay, you know, we got the same players, just a different coordinator. I think it'll be a little bit harder for this defense to get back to where they were at least last year, not at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a bumpy road to start.
Speaker 6: But I think eventually, you know, they'll get the hold of Zimmer's defense and you know they'll start the role. They have too many great pieces on that defensive side to be just a terrible defense. I mean, you got Parsons, you got d Law, you got Digs, the guys on the outside, so you got the pieces there. But what's gonna be a little bit concerned to me is we already talked about it, which is that that run defense. And in Zimmer's defense, you know how he loves to play those guys back and I'm talking about the safeties. He loves to play those guys back. So it's gonna leave you with a light box against the run. And when Zimmer had those defenses in Minnesota, he had a prime Lynn vald Joseph, he had at Kendricks who was in his prime, those guys Anthony Barr. They were able to play the light defense because they had those big molly wops up front in linebackers. I can run sideline the sideline. Now we're talking about Zim. You know, probably eight years later Kendricks year eleven down, does he still have the juice to be able to be that sideline the sideline guy. And I don't know, lin Vald Joseph, you're twenty nine. I don't even know what year this guy'said. But he's been in the league, started six years old. Right, But it's a lot, all right.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying to me, if the road's gonna be bumpy a little.
Speaker 6: Bit at the beginning of the season, but I believe they'll catch a foot and I think they'll finish in the middle defensively, you know what.
Speaker 2: I think, Especially it's right, what do we doing the players? He put the spin on it. You know, I love that, And you're right, Danny was all about d Q age. He spoke highly of his his scheme and the way that he used his players. But I look at these defensive court now, I look at coaches period like parents. You know, you got parenting styles. You got one strict parenting and then you have the very liberal parents and free reigns kids. You know, all of that stuff. Mike Zimmerate the timeout parent, he the parent that go get the belt. That's that's the kind of guy. He is so got. What I'm saying is this is another just funny way to say he's more disciplined. He's going to take a more disciplined approach. You're gonna know exactly where he wants you to be. And I think that was completely different from Dan d Q. That allowed these guys to freelance, freestyle, do some other things. If they were going out here, it's kind of flexibility with what you were doing. We know what the secret sauce is to beating the Cowboys has been this way for years. Run the ball on them. They can't get off the ball, can't get off the field on third down. And oh, by the way, if they don't get to the quarterback and if they don't force turnovers, they look average at best. But he has to do no matter what is get those big guys up front, and he has to play sturdy in that defensive line. And that's why you bring in guys like Phillips. That's why you bring in lyn Vald Joseph that's been playing since Hee them's nine years old. Off the street, off the street, off the counts. You want to play. Yeah, yeah, we got something for you to do. But in the lake right now, are you available? As much as people want to make jokes about that, the thing about it is all you need is that guy to be able to make a difference in your linebacker room. And that's where I think you got better in the off season. You could say Kendrick's been playing forever, but hey, he's had consistent seasons with one hundred tackles and we have needed that tackling machine. But not only that, you've needed guys that can also play out in space and also defend. And what you're gonna need also in this situation is because if your your cornerback room, you're gonna need really smart linebackers to be able to play in and out of phase in areas so that you can protect your cornerbacks in the flat and underneath. Look, it's it's imperative right now going up against Cleveland, Stefanski's not going to change his spots. He's not. Stefans is not gonna change. He's gonna run that. And the thing is, now, when you you talk about Deshaun Watson coming off of a shoulder injury, there are some things that you haven't seen in the off season from him. Hell, there are things that you haven't seen from Deshaun Watson in a couple of years that if he starts to reconnect with some of that, it could be a bad experience for the Dallas Cowboys in Week one.
Speaker 4: So what's Zimmer?
Speaker 2: I love him and I think he's going to make the difference on for this defense. Top ten, top defense.
Speaker 4: Don't fall forward, don't fall forward. He trying to get you in that trap where he was at top defense.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, what are you talking about. I mean, I believe that we have we got Yeah, so they'll be they'll be top absolutely all right, Okay, the Dallas Cowboys have a top ten defense. Get back, get back to the book. Yeah, look at that. Yeah yeah, get healthy, Yeah, get healthy, my man, darrun Land. Yeah, that's a big one. That's a big one. And I think you have to come up for some of those awards early uh with with Kaylene car Carson. Yea, he changed his number.
Speaker 4: He got that one on him now.
Speaker 2: And to think about and to think about Carson that you also know that he's gonna be aggressive. And I feel like Al Harris, especially his secondary coach, is going to have him prepared for this moment. We know, we know exactly what the Browns are going to present. They got a lot of problems and they got Amari Cooper, So let's let's keep it a buck. And you know what, Amari Cooper two strict thousand yard seasons since he's been in Cleveland. He presents a problem, especially when you start talking about tray Von Diggs coming back on an a cl so Barry.
Speaker 4: When you have a new defensive coordinator bringing in his type of style here, how long is the adjustment period for guys on the field. It can be going from DZ it can be extremely long.
Speaker 6: But thankful for this team that at the at the marquee positions, the positions where you know they do the most communicating. They have veterans there that are brought in from a zimmer As system that understands we're talking about the Kendricks. At the linebacker position, who's gonna be And that's why I say he's gonna be probably the most important piece of his defense because he's going to be the quarterback back there. Yeah, I mean, you're gonna have safeties making calls, but they're gonna be relaying the message that Kendricks said. At the second level, he's gonna look around, Okay, there's two by two two receives on that side. We're gonna be in this defense, and he's gonna have that relayed throughout the entire defense. And then you talk about a guy Linvald Joseph, even though I make fun of him for his age, he's gonna have to be that guy in there in the trenches that's gonna say, all right, this is how we're gonna set things up, this is how we're gonna play double teams. At least kind of show those guys the way. So if there was no one coming from the Zimmer Zimmer regime or Zimmer era when he was coaching defense that was on this defense, and I would say it was gonna take a while, it's gonna be a bumpy road. But you got guys in that those marquee positions that can relate to defense and get these guys at least lined up on the same page. Because if you're lined up on the same page, you got a chance. But if you got half of the field playing cover two, another half playing cover four, that's.
Speaker 4: When you get in those those ticky situations.
Speaker 6: So you got to communicator out there and hopefully he can take this defense and make it his own.
Speaker 4: So this is a game where a lot of people are talking about number four and the pressure run number four, and I'll tell you they got the wrong number four. Dak Prescott is a guy who led the league in touchdown passes last year, the first year in this Mike McCarthy offense, and they brought his top target back. I don't worry about Dak Prescott because Dak Prescott has shown you he's still a top quarterback in this league. Deshaun Watson got a whole bunch of guaranteed money, has not lived up to any of it. And I'm like, anybody want to go ahead and put something on Watsons. I will tell you before he left Clemson, I said the Cowboys had to have a losing season. Have a losing season, Go get DeShawn wats I was sold on to Shawn wats I was sold on to Shot Watson more than Patrick Mahomes, more than Mitchell Trubisky. Like this is the guy, Go get this guy. This guy's good. Took Alabama to the wire and two national championship games, walked out with one win and the second one and his fault. He was he the guy can't perform. When Nick Saban says, hey man, this dude has given us as much trouble. Last guy to give us this skin of troubles Cam Newton. So I'm like, this is the dude and Houston good player got paid in Cleveland and stuff on Twitter came out. It ain't been the same guy shoulder last year. This for all the people that talk about the accuracy of Dak Prescott, please go look at DeShawn Watson. If you've had Deshaun Watson on the fantasy team anytime in the last three years, you know the pain. I've known the pain at the end of he was that backup about fantasy I mean, you want to find out about your quarter plays fantasy.
Speaker 7: Football, brother, I mean it's got to be behind how good the receiver.
Speaker 2: They're not magician topic.
Speaker 4: I mean getting joker. If you need to any fantasy team, he'll put some points up because that'll be his that'll be his outlet guy.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, hey, down, I want to offer this up. I want to offer this up about Cleveland because they went eleven and seven last season without Deshaun Watson, only had him for six games. There are very few teams in the NFL that really you just got to drive the bus. And I know that's sacrilegious in quarterback talk, but just drive the bus. That's how good that defense is. You know, their defense is that good. I mean you could be in some ten U three zero games with Cleveland's defense. And I think, look, Deshaun Watson, for the money that he got paid, the pressure is gonna come with it.
Speaker 4: He's a fully guaranteed country and.
Speaker 2: Unheard of right. But you know, when I look at him, I think, look, man, if your offensive line can give you any push, your running game can be any semblance of what it has been in the past, it makes your job even easier, especially with the guys that you have on the outside. Jerry Judy, Mark Cooper and company. Look, just allow those guys to be them and don't try and do anything special. We know we're gonna he's gonna take those short dump off passes. He's not gonna be trying to go up the field. Initially, I'm saying, you know, and that's just how my feeling is on him. But I think this is gonna be a defensive game. And you saw I saw Flacco last season and he got broke off. Somebody's gonna pay him money because of the job that he did after Deshaun Watson was hurt because all he did was just come in and not mess it up, and sometimes that's all you gotta do.
Speaker 4: I disagree he took the ball down the field where Watson wasn't taking the ball down the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cooper Cooper was No, That's exactly what I was gonna say. I mean, when you have a weapon, I mean, when you when you have a weapon.
Speaker 4: That wind with Watson out there, I mean, because that's the part of playing in Cleveland, like that wind up there is tripping man.
Speaker 2: Watch. Yeah, when you don't have any weapons, but you know Cleveland has weapons, and they've always had guys that could be able to stretch the field, take the top off. I Meanmark Cooper is one of the best in the business at what he does. Exactly, my man, it's for you, uh, my man, d Mac. But either way, you know, you just when you have weapons the way that he does, he understood how to use him. And you think about Flacco when he played in Baltimore, He was tailor made for the job because what all he had to do was just not mess it up and take the shots when you had an opportunity to. It's true. Okay, that's true.
Speaker 4: My man says, it's true.
Speaker 2: VP. Now he did have a crazy playoff run. He was good. I mean he wait a minute, you mean to tell me with ray Lewis what you go? You go put that Super Bowl on on flocko. You're gonna tell me floo was the reason that Baltimore won the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Did I say it was the reason?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying you were you that.
Speaker 4: This was just sitting here driving the bus like he was Brad jam Johnson to Tampa Bay.
Speaker 2: That was not it, right, We've seen it. That was you've seen it. You've seen it.
Speaker 4: The show had to go make plays that year, and he did in that Super Bowl game when I was at New Orleans two. The dude made some plays and he was the m v P and that whole that whole run. But his own team didn't want to pay him. His own team, Hey man, you need to take this. He was like, no, I'm not taking that. I'm betting on myself. He bet on any one, and he won. And when he played last year in Cleveland, the guy was a better quarterback than Watson, and he was so good they couldn't bring him back too much turmoil. They couldn't bring him back.
Speaker 2: They put the trophy, they didn't put a statue of him outside the whole like that.
Speaker 4: The man, I give him his flowers for the super run. I give him his flowers for what he did last year.
Speaker 2: You know, No, you're on the island right there.
Speaker 4: You know that's fine.
Speaker 2: That's on the island with that. Say what you want to be one of the best defenses that come on?
Speaker 4: Now you Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Huh Cleveland?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Cleveland definitely had one of the best defense.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Baltimore on won in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: The guy was not a bus drivers, know what I'm saying. The guy, the guy made plays. I ain't sitting there here calling Patrick Mahomes. But the guy made play. The guy was not The guy wasn't just sitting here driving the bus. He made plays and and they won because he was able to make plays. And he had Jim Calwells's coordinator in Baltimore too, who didn't get enough credit. But Jim dialed up some stuff and put Joe in a good spot and he was able to make some plays in their defense.
Speaker 2: Pretty good safety question. Safety question, let's take let's do you want to tease it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, got a safety question.
Speaker 2: Safety question.
Speaker 5: We have a.
Speaker 4: Question here, Barry Church. I'm new a Scruggs safety question coming up next. This show is brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan.
Speaker 4: Of the Year, Go Cowboys. Hey, They're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat A Brown, sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gimbling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: As they snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped.
Speaker 2: He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 11: Prespect's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right now. Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 2: Next tour is back head to AT and T Stadium on Tuesday, September tenth for a showdown between Mexican and Canadian men's national teams. Don't miss another exciting soccer match in Arlington. Tickets are available and are now on sale at seakgeek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium Training Camp in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Heck Maherrison, thank you very much for the readion Playbounds brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. Heck Maharrison Bury Church on Newing Scrugs, by the way, Joe Flacco and that Super Bowl for the Baltimore Ravens twenty two to thirty three, two hundred and eighty seven yards. Three touchdowns got Baltimore out to a twenty one to ten lead and let me see, they had twenty one first downs, thirteen were via passing on third down efficiency nine to sixteen.
Speaker 2: But okay, if you think that's bus driving, know, yeah, so be it. That's how they celebrate that one. Can we go to the safety question, let's do it? Okay? So in this in this match especially you're talking about Mike Zimmer, we were talking about his scheme and what he's gonna do, especially coming up against the team in Kevin Stefanski. He basically Kevin Stefanski came up underneath his wing, so he knows his scheme full well. Guys like Donovan Wilson and Marquise Bell your safety positions the way that you were just talking about the two high safety. Look, you're gonna have to bring one of those guys down in the box if things start getting out of control or or you have to start scheming those guys up. How do you feel against that? With that matchup with Donovan Wilson not only in the run and run fits, but also being lined up over in Jukko and when it comes to run.
Speaker 6: Fits, I got no issue with with Wilson. I understand he understands the run game like the back of his hand. The guy's gonna come downhill like a missile. He's gonna fill his gaps.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be that.
Speaker 6: Explosive player that you want to see in a run game that get your defense hype with the big hit. So when it comes to the run game, I'm not really concerned about Donovan Wilson down there now when it comes to eventually because you know, we know Zim loves to play zone, but eventually you're gonna have to sprinkle in some man. You're gonna have to be in some third down situations where you gotta go man. And that's the situation where they're gonna have them Joku out there one on one against Donovan Wilson now is Najoekub Travis Kelce No, but the guy is a mismatched nightmare. When we talk about vertical speed and being able to use his body like a big rebounder out there, so he can definitely present some problems to a Wilson in one on one coverage, and I don't really see unless it's a you know, gotta have it down Zim saying all right, Wilson, we need you man to man on this guy.
Speaker 2: Lock him up.
Speaker 6: I mean that's just not his game. That wasn't my game when I played, and I don't believe that's Wilson's game is either. And when you talk about the run scheme, there's one thing that they can do. I don't know if they do do this or not, but they have an option to do so, which is a lot of people will play big nickel, which instead of having versus a twelve personnel so you got, you know, whatever, two running backs, one one tight end or vice versa, you would bring down Instead of having George Lewis at that nickel, which he's a good run defender as well, you would have that big nickel going there, which is kind of like a Marque's beak, which he would be that basically third linebacker in there, but he's a little bit better in coverage than a linebacker. That to me, would be the situation you would have there to go against the run. If the run is just outright destroying you, you're coming downhill versus your base personnel, you got to bring another speed guy in there, open field guy. You would bring belle down in there to be that big nickel package, and hopefully that will resolve some of the issues. But first and foremost, they got to get the inside, like were talking about, you know, safety is coming down, that's all outside work. If you can get that inside situated, if you can get Miley Smith to go in there, take those double teams and Kendrick can go sideline and sideline, then they won't have to bring these guys down. They'll be able to have those safeties back. But you know what they say, if it was a fifth right, yeah, we'd be drunking here. But zone zone typically is what you're talking about for coach Zimmer. And then you have a rookie who's gonna come into the situation already with the jitters. So for I mean Church, thinking about what your first game NFL.
Speaker 4: Game, you gotta help, gotta help you, gotta help you.
Speaker 6: Man, the waters are gonna be choppy enough as a rookie going in there your first NFL game. Like of course, these guys have been to you know that. Some guys sec there are used to big crowds, but the NFL, it's just it's just a different visa, just a different vibe. It's just a different feel and you're gonna be anxious out there. You need somebody to help calm you down, so you don't want to be tossed in the island your first National Football League game.
Speaker 4: So to me what Zimmer's going through, it's gonna sprinkle a lot of zone in there.
Speaker 6: To help the young man now and on man and man situations, lean of safety over the top, you know, just lean He ain't gotta be fully on top of the guy.
Speaker 4: Just lean him over a little bit to kind of discourage that quarterback.
Speaker 6: So the young man understands that he has deep help, because that's a big that's a big thing when you talk about a defensive back learning where his help is. If he understands where his help is and he has all right, I cannot get beat to the outside, or I cannot get beat to the inside. I got somebody over the top that'll help alleviate the will help calm him down a lot when he goes out there. Now, you can either lean a safety over the top, or you can help him play off off and have a linebacker buzz underneath. But they gotta help the young man out. I don't want to see, and you're always talking about this, I don't want to see a Chaz Green situation where they're like you know what, You're on an island against this guy one on one. He's beating you like a drum. But we're still gonna leave you out there. No, I believe Zimmer is one of the smarter defensive minds in the National Football League. So he's gonna help the young man. So you're saying, protect him. You got you gotta protect the top. You see the Mark Cooper running around, Yes, like that. He gives some of the best corners in the National Football League fits. You don't want to just kill the man's confidence. Go out there and watch the Martin Cooper one on one. He's dogging out the first to the first two whatever, the first two drives and you're like, man, I'm not ready for this game. Then the confidence gets shot. So you gotta help the young eye man. Now, let him go out there and make some place.
Speaker 4: What about Diggs? Do you put Trevon Diggs on a pitch count? Here?
Speaker 6: M If you have bland, I would say, yeah, you can throw a little throw, throw him a little pitch count. But without bland, you can't have him on and off the field. I mean, I want him to go out there. I want him to you know, if the training staffs. He's fully ready to go.
Speaker 4: Then days you gotta get out there and you got to perform. This defense is gonna need you.
Speaker 6: And I want the digs that still has that gambler mentality understand, you know, coming back from that knee, you don't want to you know you kind of figure out, man, Do I still got the jews?
Speaker 4: Can I still plan all that thing?
Speaker 6: But the worst thing I want him to do is go out there and play cautious, not play his game, give up a lot of catches underneath, just to just to watch that knee. Like, still have that gambler mentality, Still jump on round, Still be the guy that we know you are out there when fully healthy, But when it comes to a pitch count, you don't have the depth, You don't have the death right now to go out there and say, you know, hey, you only play thirty five forty plays here and there, we'll sprinkle some other guys in there, because who you gonna sprinkle in there?
Speaker 4: So let me add on this. If you're Cleveland, we got a rookie, got a guy coming up an injury, you're going to try to test them.
Speaker 2: Off the top.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it might be the first play yeah, test that chance.
Speaker 2: To play action for sure. And you know, I always go back to situations like this when you talk about I've heard so many any players talk about Brett Brown and his preparedness and the way that he brings guys back. And I think about Trayvon Diggs and when he got hurt, it wasn't like end of the season playoffs, and this is, you know, beginning of the season, so I had plenty of time to heal from it. And then you look at you know, the acl achilles injury used to be like the death nail to a guy's career. Now you're seeing guys be able to come back and play with a c L M c LS. And I mean Joe Thomas came back grunk your man, you gotta find you know, he blew both of his you know, and was able to come back. Tom Brady blew in a cl and so guys are able to come back and play. I just feel like for Trayvon Diggs, it's the same with almost like Carson. It's that mentality, what do you do with your eyes? You know, where are your eyes? And see a lot? I see a little, see a lot, you know, you know what I mean little see a lot, right. And the thing about him is that even in that gambler mentality, I want him to play like you're talking about. But I think it's he's gonna have to get that confidence as the game goes on. And like you were talking about Kayln Carson, you was saying, look, man, play within the scheme and don't try and guess. You know, know where you're protecting, know where your help is. And that's the biggest thing when you play defense is knowing where your help is. And I think if if Diggs can do that, I think at some point, especially in the season, he'll let zim know.
Speaker 4: Look, yeah, I'm I'm ready to go, you know, go to double moves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that Mark Coopers for the doubles and you know who know that he's susceptible to the double.
Speaker 4: Road tied on road tide.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that should be a good matchup for sure. Do you see them you know, they didn't do it a lot last year. I don't even know if they did it at all last year. But do you see them traveling digs with with Cooper at all throughout this game?
Speaker 2: Wow? You know what, It's a lot to ask coming on because because I think I think one, because of the matchup and because of what you have going on with your with your cornerback room, I think everybody's going to get a full servant of them are Cooper. I think he's gonna line up all over the field. And I think that's the one element of this game that they have right now that I think Dallas has to prepare for.
Speaker 4: How much juice is Mari half of this game? Oh, I think he's a player, he's out of team like. He's the type of guy that he won't put it on his sleeve. He won't show all that emotion under it, but you.
Speaker 6: Know underneath he's like, man, I can't wait wait, Yeah, so you know it because you know it's gonna send everybody to a panic.
Speaker 8: And.
Speaker 2: He ain't gonna show it.
Speaker 6: He won't say it before the game anything like that. But they'll be slight, they'll be slight notices and go out there and get the first down. He's gonna get up, shrug his shoulders a little bit. He might you a celebration. You know, he's not known for the celebration. He might get up and celebrate a little bit better. I think he's uh he's boiling for this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm one of those people, man, thinking about this game and what I've seen on the film with the Browns. I feel like Mike is gonna come after. I think he has to. I think he has to. You know, we've had these conversations by defensive schemes. Make eleven guys look like fifteen guys and you know, create mayhem, and he's gonna he's gonna have to do that at the line of scrimmage if he allows for Deshaun Watson to be comfortable in the pocket and maneuver and do it like you can't do that. And this is this is our opportunity. Everybody that wants to see how Zim is gonna use Michael Parsons. This is my part where I'm like, how now that you got your opportunity, how are you gonna use number eleven? And I think that that's gonna be the specialty that people don't have film on that. You know, teams are not gonna have film and they're gonna be putting that, compiling that as the season goes on.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get our final break in here we ask the question do you put digs on a pitch count. The answer is, note, there's another player. Do you put this player on a pitch count. Let's dive into this key weapon for the Cowboys when we come back with HEC Mahrrison, Barry Church on the scrutch players. I was brought to you by Aristocratic Gaming right here on Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 12: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss team up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 8: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their powerpacks smoothies with over ten grams of protein with real fruits and organic veggies. Because it's Smoothie King, what you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your jaw. It gets sipping. Real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Hey, their Cowboys Nation. Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you buff below. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new.
Speaker 4: Experience football fans.
Speaker 9: This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one hundred gambler that's twenty hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 11: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Cane's chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of canes when it comes to winning game day, canes, rules, raising canes, chicken fingers, one love, go Cowboys.
Speaker 4: To the players loud.
Speaker 2: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are areccelerating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Numinate yourself for the biggest Cowboy fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year Gold Cowboys super Bowl fifty nine coming up below.
Speaker 4: It's like that fifty nine Cowboys last playing in Super Bowl thirty.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time, been a long time. Hey, he knew, knew. I had the gumby, I had the gumpy. What is that?
Speaker 4: What's the gumpy?
Speaker 2: What's the go?
Speaker 8: I mean?
Speaker 4: Think about the last time the Cowboys, the things that were in style. Nobody had to cut. Nobody has cut, nobody has. Bill Clinton was the president, I mean Jared McGuire when he released When the Cowboys. Yes, yes, it's a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Man, Gonna thirty was a minute bro nine to say a picture of you were this gumpy man. Listen, I'm listen. No, I'm not gonna do that. I'm not Now what you're not gonna do is gask me up what you knew? He are not gonna do. I just y, but I'm not gonna let you ask. What's the gumpy looked like? Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: Part of participating in the show Man the show Man that the.
Speaker 2: People side side the playing line. I had the whole gumpy bro shoot.
Speaker 4: I was working in Cleveland that year. I say this.
Speaker 2: About to show you on my phone. I am not seeing because you are not crack Part two about bro what? Yes, because I had the gumpy so I love it bigger than definitely, manap.
Speaker 8: Not so much.
Speaker 4: We asked earlier in the show, should there be a pitch count on corner Travon Diggs coming back from injury? And we said no. I asked this question now about Ceedee Lamb, the wide receiver just signed this big deal, missed all the training camp. Here is he on a pitch count because you get a hamstring pull, you know, some type of lower leg injury? Man, and you know, so how much do you play your key offensive your best offensive weapon.
Speaker 2: Let me answer this for you. Hell ain't no pitch count you out there? We outside, all right? We outside tonight we outside, No, sir, There's no way you could go into Cleveland with the pressure that they presented as a defense and limit anything that Ceedee Lamb has, because I'm telling you it's gonna be all hands on deck you have to have, especially if you establish any kind of balance with that running game. If that running game is popping, Ceedee Lamb is going to eat because he is going to be matched up man man, and they're not gonna they're not gonna change their spots because they're coming up against Ceedee Lambing. When you examine this roster of the Cleveland Browns, they got some dogs. I know we're gonna dig deep into it tomorrow, so I won't go too far. But I'm just telling you you cannot go ahead. Well look look it's the thing is, you're gonna be disneyl Awards. Probably gonna travel.
Speaker 4: Some cold too.
Speaker 6: You can tell you cold. One Thorn Hill is cold. It's lighting up justin Jefferson.
Speaker 2: They have some guys in that secondary that don't play around, and look, you know why they don't. They have goons in the front. And look, we're gonna talk about guys like Miles Garrett. He is awesome, but Jeremiah or Wusu, Coreyl Moore, he is so one and here is the guy that brings all the energy to what they do. But honestly, it's like when you have that kind of pass rush, it makes life, as we've talked about, so much easier for those guys because they feel like, look, we can lock you up long enough for Miles to get home. But hey, we've seen in games versus Houston when that don't work, and that don't work, we got somebody that can work it. Now I'm with you on that. Heck.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, it'd be hard to kind of kind of hide them out there a little bit, because you know, I was thinking, maybe you can take him out of a run, you know, rundowns and then bring them back. But then you know, coordinators are too smartness League and I'll black CD's out to stack them, but they'll figure it out. So it'd be tough to kind of get him on and off on a on a pitch count. Plus, like you said, if he's out and you're trying to be productive offensively, especially in a passing attack. Who who out there has proven was a time proofing consistency that they can go out there and win the one on one matchups. I mean Cooks back in the day could have I haven't seen it last year, ferg he hasn't not got that's my man for you, But he's I don't know if he can get you those big chunks like a CD can.
Speaker 4: I don't know if he can.
Speaker 6: He gonna get you those five to ten yards, but can he get you those chunks like CD camp, I'm not so sure. And then Tolbert, this will be his first you know season where he's gonna be, you know, a big time factor as far as offense, you know.
Speaker 4: Catching passes and stuff. So to me, you gotta play pay CD out there.
Speaker 6: You gotta make sure he's not on a pitch count because, like I said, coordinators will figure out when he's in and when he's not what this offense wants to do. And if he's not on the football field, it's gonna be hard for this passing attack to be productive.
Speaker 4: Let's in this with a yes no questions we get toward the end of this show, yes no, yes, no, yes, no, I like, and I'll started. Does Michael Parsons win the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award? Put me down his note B that's it big. He ain't gonna get it.
Speaker 2: No straight off. You know what, he's so dramatic, this guy. It's being down like god.
Speaker 4: New defensive coordinator.
Speaker 10: I got.
Speaker 4: You're still worried about what I see up front? You know, first place schedule right now.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't feel. I'm not feeling. I'm not feeling, So I go, I went right there. Look, I think my man is gonna rebrand this year. I think we're going from rebranding, we're going from the bazooka to the missile. When I he would be forever referred to as the missile, the missile for now and answers yes, absolutely, yes, yes, for sure. There's only one other man not named Reggie White that can say that they had the most success that he's had in his seasons as an NFL player.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 6: Okay, for myself, I'm with I'm actually with Heck on this one.
Speaker 4: I'm with the Heck on this one.
Speaker 6: This man, I think was the past three years he's been top three you know, as far as you know voting. When it comes to the defensive Player of the Year, and this year, I think he'll make not only you know, he'll get his sad.
Speaker 4: I feel like he'll get his ass.
Speaker 6: He'll be double digit sacked, but I'll make more impact plays when it comes to I think forced fumble, scooping funnels, maybe an interception here too. I think they're going to use them all over the charts. So yeah, I think this will be the first time. This will be his first opportunity the missile to get the missile my Badzuka, the mismissile miss won't get it done.
Speaker 2: But that you got, I mean yes and no, I'm on that. I will tell you what I'm selling you, dog, I'm not selling I ain't say. I ain't selling you good. You're good, You're good. I ain't no. Hope, that's real that you already know what Michael's bringing. So it's not am I selling you on nothing that Michae's got. The numbers are there. The numbers are there. You know it supports it.
Speaker 4: Let me let me ask you this. And y'all worried about the podcast? Are y'all worried about any of these four rookies that are going to be thrown into the starting lineup.
Speaker 13: Yeah, of course, yes, sir, Dyton guy, the BB left tackle man against mine left tackles.
Speaker 4: Yes, it should worry you. He was a right tackle in college. Left tackle out here. Cooper Bebe's never played center. He was an outstanding All American player at Kansas at guard h this is a change. Yeah, you should be worried. Corner out here, Jason Mark Cooper, you should be worried. You should have a concern. I'm not saying that this can't be a good rookie class. This is a tough team to go play and go on the road for your first game. So yes, you should have concern. I am I am a naturally just be concerned guy, because dude, you Jim Schwartz man, you are already rookies soon.
Speaker 2: Tackle.
Speaker 4: Let's figure out how. Jim schwartz is a really good.
Speaker 2: Coordinate and that's a super Bowl time and won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: This is a really good cordner. So he's gonna Everybody's going to test these guys, and you have to. Everybody's gonna test him. So and this is where Mike McCarthy as a head coach, and I think Mike McCarthy when you look at the last three years and you're talking to look about rookies and where guys have performed, I think Mike's done a really good I don't think he gets enough credit, which is why I think is wild. And this man is on a one year contract and not not have an extension. Already he's done. He's shown you he can develop guys. And I'm not saying that I don't think they can be devel looked that they can't be good players. But this first game I just think is a challenge.
Speaker 2: Look for me, I've seen enough of Cooper BB and I know exactly what kind of player is. And you know, like you say, man, when you get to the arena, either some guys have it and they don't, and some guys just have that propensity to be that player that they won't it, you know. And he's that guy that I believe wants it, and I think he's in between two players that can elevate his game the same way that you see that offensive line out in San Francisco because of Trent Williams. When you have a guy on the left and right of you like Zach Martin and Smith Dog. I think that elevates and that makes things even more comfortable when you're going into war with the team that you know is going to pressure. You got two of the best and in the middle of the field. If you can open those holes and protect in the middle of the field. And I'm not saying that Tyler guy ain't got his work cut out for him, because he does. But you guys have pointed out the fact that you can get tight end help. You can ship him over to that side. But if I'm strong in the middle of my offensive line, and that makes up for everything that I need as far as gutting.
Speaker 4: This team defensively.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anybody any of those two that are starting to get the yaufu or I'm pronouncing all type of wrong Maris Maurris, You know, Carson on the outside, you're worried about any and no, I think I think the talent that I've seen from the linebacker room just in you know, out in Oxnard, I saw that as an upgrade. I mean, obviously, when you see Overshawn not be able to crack the lineup it with live out in front of him. Maybe what we've been thinking about Overshawan isn't accurate either, you know, and maybe we have something in this rookie who we already know.
Speaker 2: He's gonna fly around, he's gonna hit you. He's responsible in past pro you know, past coverage. He's and so that's what I'm I'm leaning on with Kaitlyn Carson. Like you just said, I'm playing zone. I got to save thee help over that. Yeah, don't go crazy.
Speaker 4: I got that got.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: So that's all if I mean, if we're to take in the group of like, oh no, I don't know exactly what once you see that up there, you know, I'm worried about it, man, But I think there's a way you could cover that up. You already you already said what it is, all right? Booi, Oh no, tomorrow we get started. Tomorrow, we get started.
Speaker 4: There is football. Tomorrow's the Baltimore Ravens against the Kansas City Chiefs. Yeah, we got one of those two teams will win the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 2: That's what You're not going to Jacksonville doing that. He was so cocky about it, cocking like rocket. I got something for y'all. He's got the Tarzann.
Speaker 4: I didn't call him.
Speaker 2: I was in on tremor. That was a stretch of the games. We've all had our our comings.
Speaker 5: That haven't.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: Heck, bringing a gummy picture for throw back strikes Playing so Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Game. We're talking right here, Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.