Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking All State first, Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome in episode one sixty eight. What's right with Nick Wright writing solo again today? And you know what, I think my little sign is a little crooked, So I'm gonna fix that as we get going solo today. And by the way, today's episode is brought to you by Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee. Tune into moments that matter with the uplifting boost of Starbucks Mocha for Refaccino chilled coffee drink available now online or wherever you buy your groceries. All right, we'll get right into it today. We have a ton to do. Here is what has missed the cut for today's show. Not on today's show, Bronnie back home and recovering. That is the second usc basketball player to have this happen, to practice cardiac arrest and seemingly be fine. We'll see what it means for Bronnie's career. But the fact of the matter is that Bronni was it was is back home. The other player ended up playing later in the season, so God bless him in the family. Patrick Beverly saying the Clippers would have won the title if the bubble didn't happen. It's just ridiculous, and the staff trawling me for my incorrect tweet about Errol's Spence Junior and the Crawford fight. Yeah, listen, we can spend a minute on that. That way. Nobody saw that coming. You might have picked Crawford to win. And I managed to make some money on the fight anyway, because I kind of bets all over the place on it. But the fact of the matter is nobody thought it was going that Errol Spence Junior was gonna look out of his league. And if you're not a big fight fan and you're not familiar with him, he is a great fighter, a great fighter was twenty nine to zero, had never been knocked down, and Bud Crawford maim made him look like a glass joe. It was startling to see that. I do hope they fight again, even though I don't think Errol would win. If he were to win in the rematch in December, it would set up an all time trilogy. But he obviously was not prepared for what Terence Crawford had ready for him. Who's now the first man ever to be the undisputed four belt champion in two different weight classes and became an all timer with that performance. All Right, we're gonna start the show with something I did not watch live, but I did get up this morning to watch having DVRD it, and that is the debacle that was the US women's national team game against Portugal. It's a zero zero draw. They do by the skin of their teeth advance to the knockout round. Some context here, and I understand it's different players, it's different here as all of it. But the US women's national team going into this match was historically eleven to zero against Portugal, having outscored them thirty nine to nothing. This was a game that the women's national team. If they didn't win, they were going home, and in stoppage time in the ninetieth minute, or I guess in the ninety plus minute, apologize for the buzzing. Portugal should have won. They had a half breakaway shot that hit the post.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the US is lucky to be advancing now. They are advancing with Rose Lavelle being out for their round of sixteen game, which probably will come against Sweden. If you're watching this live, we don't know who they're playing. If you're watching this delayed, you know sometime later in the week we will know who they're playing. But the odds are they're going to be playing Sweden. It would take some real mayhem in Sweden's group for Sweden not to win their group, and the US didn't win their group. The Netherlands did. The Netherlands was up five to nothing on Vietnam at halftime. I don't even know what the final score of that game was. They annihilated them and for the first time in this tournament, the US are not favored to win the Cup. I think they'll be favored in the match against Sweden. I don't know that they deserve to be Without rose level, with the team showing really no offensive punch this entire tournament, it hasn't looked good. Now you can argue this was the wake up call they needed. They're going to be a different team. They're going to play more to form in the knockout stage, but there has not been a moment this tournament even that what looked like a fine three to zero victory against Vietnam where this Seas has looked like a champion just hasn't. And I am not quite sophisticated enough, certainly on the women's soccer side of things, to be able to pillory the coach, but the folks who do seem to follow this very closely have been uninspired with the coach. I know Carly Lloyd was very angry that after the game this morning the women were celebrating and taking pictures with fans. I have less of an issue with that, but that set that aside. The issue is they have not played well and now with the latest odds that I see, England and Spain are co favorites to win the Cup with the US right behind them after the US was significant favorites heading into the tournament, so they flatly need to play better. All right. Next, so this says terrible QB tiers. I don't know that I think these QB tiers are terrible, but I want to spend some significant time on this for a number of reasons. So one of the best things the Athletic and Mike Sando do is they get fifty NFL people. If you will, it is thirty the fifty league insiders, which are ten head coaches, fifteen coordinators, ten executives, four quarterbacks I'm sorry, four quarterback coaches, and a handful of folks involved in coaching and analytics. To rank the quarterbacks in the league by tier, you have tier one, two, three, four, five, And you guys know, I'm a big fan of tiering things rather than just doing flat rankings, and the very top makes sense. Patrick mahomes number one with fifty first place votes. Number two Joe Burrow with forty nine first place votes. I actually, you know, I'd be interested to see the person that said Joe Burrow was not a Tier one quarterback. That to me is wish casting. He's clearly a Tier one quarterback. It gets a little harrier after that. So Josh Allen got forty four Tier one votes. By the way, I probably would have voted Josh Allen Tier one. Now I wouldn't have him as the third best quarterback in football, but he is. Even despite the roller coaster nature of him and the almost his almost frenetic style of play, He's a Tier one quarterback because the upside's so high. Rogers comes in next. He had thirty Tier one votes and indeed Tier two votes. Rogers not a Tier one quarterback, flatly, and the cliff that so many folks myself included Max Kellerman and myself maybe most famously talked about Brady falling off that he never really fell off. I wonder if Rogers fell off it last year. Wild's brought this point up to me, and I thought it was a smart one and for Rogers, folks try to convince themselves, oh no, But he turned it on at the end of last year. He flatly did not Rogers at the end of last year when they went on that winning streak, he did not play better. His numbers actually were worse when they went four and one down the stretch. Rogers in those five games had two hundred yards per game PAS, five total passing touchdowns, three interceptions, and an eighty six passer rating. He was not better. They won those games because they played the Bears, who were on a ten game losing streak, the Rams, who were a disaster. They squeaked by against Miami. That was the game that we couldn't figure out how Tua was so awful in the second half with three picks. Then we found out he had suffered another concussion during that game, and Minnesota they annihilated. Rogers threw one hundred and fifteen for one hundred and fifty nine yards that game. Minnesota turned the ball over four times, and then in their final game of the year at home in Lambeau, Rogers was awful. They scored sixteen points and his final throw as a Packer was a terrible duck, a hail mary when he didn't have to throw a hail mary, which made it three straight years. Rogers season ended at home when he couldn't make the play the NFC title game against Brady. He could have run, he didn't. They don't get the ball back. The next year ten ten at home against the Niners, when the Niners offense doesn't score a point the entire game, he just throws hail mary after hail Mary on that three and out drive to Devonte Adams. I think it was Lazardi had wide open over the middle when they only needed a field goal. They then lose and then at home to the Lions in a playoff game. Rogers is not a top four quarterback anymore, and he's going the idea that the only precedent for a quarterback at his age getting better is Brady, and we have dreams of data that Rogers is not Brady. The next Tier one quarterback is Herbert. He's the last Tier one quarterback. He had twenty nine Tier one votes and twenty one Tier two votes. I'm okay with that. I think having Herbert, though ahead of Jalen Hurts and the Prince is incorrect. I like Herbert. The Chargers scare the hell out of me. I do think that there is a level of romanticism of his arm talent and his potential when we have not yet seen him take the major leap we expected him to take between year one and year two, or certainly year two and year three, when year three is probably his worst year. I know he was banged up all year. I know they had injuries. I think that's a touch overrated Jalen Hurts. We just showed you guys some of the rankings. Jalen Hurts comeings in next. He had ten Tier one votes, thirty eight Tier two votes, and two who Tier three votes. That's disrespectful to what the guy's accomplished. He am I dead certain Jalen Hurts is it can't miss ten year awesome quarterback? No? But does he have the track is he building the track record of it? Is his arrow continually pointing up unquestionably? I think he should have been a Tier one guy. Lamar comes in next. Lamar had eight Tier one votes, thirty seven Tier two votes, and five Tier three votes. I think that's correct. I think Lamar is right beneath the Tier one quarterbacks, and I will believe that until he becomes more consistent in the layups. Then there's the Prince Trevor. He had three Tier one votes, thirty three Tier two votes, and fourteen Tier three votes. If you think Peyton Manning two point zero is a Tier three quarterback, you're just not paying attention. The guy is a future, if not current superstar. He might win League MVP this year. He and Ridley are going to be dynamic. He had the second most playoff touchdowns of anyone in the league last year. He was spectacular in the second half of the season. You almost have to throw out year one under urban Meyer. I think Trevor's underrated, but don't listen to me. I've only been right about him and the Jags every step of the way. Dak is number nine, which is about right. He had one Tier one vote, thirty six Tier two votes, and thirteen Tier three votes. And then there's Matt Stafford at number ten, and I'm not going to go through all the voting on everyone else. I actually wanted to talk about this for this is actually kind of a commentary on running back pay. So just follow me down this path. Because Stafford is ten, Deshaun Watson is eleven, Kurk Cousins twelve, and then Tier three Kyler Carr, goff Russ Tua, who, while I've been down on him, that's too low for Tua, Jimmy g eighteen, Daniel Jones nineteen, Geno twenty, Justin Fields, who has the variance for him has to be the most Tannehill twenty two, Mac Jones twenty three. Okay, so here's why I wanted to talk about this you want to know why Daniel Jones, who you know, is barely a top twenty quarterback by this ranking, and I think that's a fair ranking. I think Daniel Jones when you incorporate his athleticism, his arm talent, and then the flip side, the limited nature of his accuracy, the fact that if you ask him to make time throws is gonna turn the ball over. He's just barely in the top twenty. And I think Gino's a little underrated there, but that's fine. This is why quarterbacks are gonna just take up a bigger and bigger percentage of the salary gap for the near future, until we are able to have a level of competence from the below average quarterbacks that currently does not exist. The fact of the matter is that there are not twenty human beings alive right now who can play the quarterback position better than Daniel Jones, and Daniel Jones is barely competent at it that Ryan Tannehill is firmly in the top twenty five this listen. I didn't take economics in high school. I'm not or in college either. I'm not a stock sky where you talk about market forces. But it doesn't You don't have to be John Nash to understand that. Right now, the best thing going for good but not great quarterbacks is the fact that the cliff you fall off from the average to the incompetent is steep and sudden, and your team cannot function with the incompetent ones. Now, everyone beneath Jones isn't destined to be incompetent. You have fields, you have picket, you have purty, you have love, You have a lot of young guys who maybe one day will be good. But there may exist a world in fifteen years where, because quarterback training becomes so specialized, and because seven on seven becomes so ubiquitous, and because high school and college teams start throwing the ball more and more and more, that there is a surplus of mediocre quarterbacks. The moment that happens, the NFL salary structure will turn on its head. And what I mean by that is, if we ever get to a place where there are sixty Ryan Tannehill Mac Jones level quarterbacks, then the Daniel Joneses of the world stop getting paid, Jimmy G's of the world stop Derek Carr's stop getting paid. It's what's happened with running backs because there's two hundred potential Isaiah Pacheco's you can't justify paying the good but not great ones. And even the great ones are having a hard time really getting paid. And so I hope this is I'm making this clear to the audience right now. When you see Justin Herbert makes fifty three million dollars a year and you're about to see Burrow make fifty five million, you have to recognize, though, that fifty three million is really only about thirteen to fifteen million, because forty million is the anchored cost of competence. And so you're if you if you don't have a quarterback on a rookie deal and you want a competent quarterback, maybe you can say the anchored cost is what car makes, so not what Daniel Jones makes. So car, Derek Carr, what does he make? Thirty five? He got four? No, he got I mean he got four for one fifty. Now that's it's really three for one hundred, because that last year is a fifty million dollar year. So yeah, call the anchored cost thirty five right now, the price to get in the room of a non rookie contract competent quarterback is thirty five million. So justin Herbert doesn't really cast lost you fifty three, he costs you eighteen and when And I know that sounds counterintuitive, but the only comp I can give you is, and I'm not the first person to use this example, but if you go to a fancy steakhouse and you've decided I'm getting a steak. If the cheapest steak is sixty dollars and the fancy steak is eighty dollars, you're yes, you are spending eighty dollars. But if you were if you want the fancy one. But if you are dead set on getting the steak, no matter what a steak, you're spending twenty extra dollars because your floor was sixty. And there's a logical It's not a lot. I think maybe it might be a logical fallacy in some regards, but it's a it's where you're at anchored at. And if you are an NFL team and you are dead set, we are not going to we didn't draft a quarterback and we are not going to go with one of these retreads. A guy who is a Baker Mayfield who is flamed out in other places. We want an established player. Your minimum cost is thirty five million. So when people wonder how can Herbert make fifty three, it's because if the Chargers wanted to move were like, we don't want to pay him that they're not opening unless they draft a quarterback. Opening up fifty three million, They're probably only opening up eighteen because then they just go sign Garoppolo or car and I know they were never moving on for from Herbert. The converse to that is what's happening with running backs. And I don't know what the economic terminology for reverse anchoring would be. But when Jonathan Taylor wants call it fifteen million dollars a year, if the cults are saying to themselves, well we can We can't get Jonathan Taylor, but we can get seventy five percent of his production for literally five percent of his cost, for seven hundred grand a year via a sixth round draft pick. That then is gonna work against all of these guys. So in a weird way, and I tried to talk about this last week, I just find this, and again I hope the audience is interested in this. I find this type of stuff in a hard caps fascinating. The best thing that could happen to running backs is there to be fewer good ones, and the worst thing that could happen to quarterbacks is for there to be more competency. And I do think both of those things are coming, because again, if we're in a logical market, you are going to have more and more of our elite young athletes specializing at quarterback, and you're gonna have fewer and fewer of our elite young athletes specializing at running back. And the supply is gonna shift. But until it does, the quarterback piece of the pie is just gonna get bigger and bigger and bigger, and every other position is gonna be squeezed a bit. All right. Again, I knew I would spend a lot of time on that. I'm fascinated by it. This is one of those times where maybe I needed a co host today because one of my my daughter, or my son or my wife would have said that was wildly boring. But I find it fascinating, all right. Next, Aaron Rodgers came after Sean Payton, and I gave him credit for it. The producer's right who asked Rodgers to be the fun beliefs. Is he a fearless leader standing up for his guy, or just being petty? Listen, I don't think the Jets are gonna have a good year. I don't think Rogers is a great player anymore. I do think he has handled this offseason perfectly, and I think what he did for Nathaniel Hackett there was also just very kind. I think Nathaniel Hackett, who had the entire media flam bay him for an entire is, you know, is one shot at being a head coach, then having another head coach, a Hall of Fame maybe caliber head coach come after him in a way you never see a coach go after another coach. I think it was great for him that Rogers had his back. I also think that the Jets' best case scenario is fighting for that final wildcard spot. That is also I don't think the Broncos can do it, but that is their best case scenario. And the fact that Rogers is turning the screws a bit on the Broncos and adding pressure to them and keeping this a story I think smart. So I listen, I don't Rogers talked to Peter King. Evidently I haven't read the whole article, but he said that, you know, going into the darkness for a treat. He really was good planning on retiring. I don't buy that. There's a lot of Rogers stuff Rogers tries to sell that I don't buy. But I think this was a good move. I think Sean Payton made a massive error. I also think Sean Payton clearly is one of the most well liked coaches amongst media of anybody, because he got mostly a pass for this when I thought it was a massive unforced error that truly ratcheted up the pressure and expectations on a Broncos team that, aside from the obvious upgrade it head coach, the biggest thing they had going for them this year was they didn't have the pressure and expectations they had last year. So I think Peyton really screwed up here. I think Rogers did a good thing all right. Lastly, to Joe Burrow. Last week, Joe Burrow said he wasn't in a rush to sign an extension. Then he suffered a calf injury at practice, going to keep him out several weeks. He's had a bunch of injuries already. Should the Bengals hesitate the signer of the biggest the NFL history. Absolutely not his second best quarterback in football. We just talked to quarterback salaries. He's going to get the biggest quarterback contract ever. He was going to get it with or without the injury. I have one major concern for Burrow and then one criticism of the Bengals. The major concern for Burrow is not that the calf injury is gonna turn into an achilles injury or the calf injury is going to turn into some months long saga. My concern for Burrow is if I would not let him take the field in the regular season until he is at one hundred percent from a mobility perspective. Their offensive line is still a work in progress, and if he can't protect himself fully when to open their season, they have Miles Garrett followed by that Baltimore front, followed by Aaron Donald and the Rams, and the Rams aren't gonna meaning good, but Aaron Donald's awesome, followed by Jeffrey Simmons and the Titans. You can't have Burrow compromised to where he can't protect himself. That's my concern for the Bengals. My criticism of the Bengals is this Joe Burrow had a sleeve on that calf. That means there was some level of tenderness or aggravation before he suffered the injury. Why was he out there in the first week of training camp with any type of nick or cut or soft tissue aggravation that could flare up and keep him out several weeks? Why would you not tell him he is sitting Last year, he sat like he's mispart of camp throughout his career. Why would you have him out there that part? I flatly do not understand. We play a little nick chat GPT next, What's right?
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jurelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in episode one sixty eight and listen. As you guys know, my life moves moves fast. We got the two shows kids at home, and sometimes late in the day or early in the day, I could just use a pick me up, and Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee delivers an uplifting boost that helps you tune into the moments that matter wherever you are. Bottled Frappuccino chilled coffee drink inspired by Starbucks Cafe Favorites, comes in four delicious flavors. Mocha Vanella, this is caramel and coffee. I like to start my day early in the morning with coffee, especially when I'm recording a new episode of What's Right. My go to drink is Starbucks Ready to Drink Coffee for that uplifting boost I need to conquer the day. Sorry, taking a sip right now. Love the range of Starbucks Ready to Drink coffee. Whether I want to grab a Starbucks Rappacino chilled coffee drink or Nitro cold brew. There's so many good choices for whatever mood I'm in. Starbucks Coffee Ready for right now. Shop the full lineup online or in store wherever you buy your groceries. All right, before we get to the game we're gonna play Jonathan Taylor news. Jonathan Taylor demanded a trade after Jim Mersay. One of Jimmers says many unhinged tweets the team is claiming he got hurt. He says he's fine. The producers want to ask if the chief should trade for Taylor. And a reminder, by the way, you guys can ask me whatever you want. We'll do that in the next day. All right before, No, the Chiefs shouldn't trade for Taylor. I will give you some teams that should consider it. But first, this non football injury list threat by the Colts is a dangerous game for any team to play. So again, Jonathan Taylor is saying his back is not injured. The Colts reportedly are threatening to put him on the non football injury list, which would mean he does not get paid while he's on it, with the belief being he suffered a back injury while working out slash training in the off season, but not at the Colts facility. Okay, I understand the non football injury list being used for and I feel terribly for the guy. But Naim Hines. Naim Hines, the Bills running back kick returner, was on a jet ski, got crashed into and suffered a significant injury. That is the definition of a non football injury. Now he makes so little money, maybe the Bills will end up paying him. But that's what the thing exists for. If a guy's out there rollerblading. I don't know if people are rollerblading these days, or playing basketball or you know, and gets injured, Teams don't have to pay you. But the idea that you could be risking your entire salary by training for professional football in the offseason if you get injured. The reason I'm saying this is a dangerous game is teams obviously expect demand and want players to train in their own time. And if you were to withhold Jonathan Taylor's salary, if I'm the Players Association, i am sending out a league wide memorandum guys don't train in the offseason. Do OTAs, do mini camp, do training camp. But if you are risking you're the entirety of your salary and your contract if you get hurt training for your team, if you're not with your team, that to me opens a very risky door. So there's that part of it. Next part of it. I know there is a belief amongst a lot of people that Jonathan Taylor, no one's gonna want to trade for him because you're gonna have to give up a draft pick and sign him to a new contract. I don't believe that's accurate. I think if you trade for Jonathan Taylor, you don't have to sign him to a new contract. It might not be listen, might not be what Jonathan Taylor wants to hear. But Jonathan Taylor might have enough leverage within Indy to force them to give him a new contract. It doesn't look like he does. He might have enough leverage to force them to trade him. I'm not sure if he does. I do not think Jonathan Taylor would have enough leverage to force a trade and then when he gets to the next team demand a new contract. What I think that you could trade for him and say, listen, we got you out of that situation, and we very well may give you a contract after this year, but we're not signing you to a new contract. Jonathan Taylor is not gonna what's he gonna do? Not report, sit out, the year. He's not gonna do it, and so I don't think just by trading for him, you that means you have to give him a new deal. That's first of all. Second of all, who should trade for him? No, the chief shouldn't, I think, But Checko's good. I also like Generic Prince, this undrafted kid they have, and they don't need to spend resources at the running back position.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: They could have drafted Jonathan Taylor and said they drafted a running back and Clyde Edwards laire a few years ago. That was a mistake, but it is what it is. The Bengals obviously, because I think Joe Mixon is a deteriorating asset. Pardon me, Son, If you really wanted to go all in, the Bengals and the Chargers would be two AFC teams that I think would consider saying screw it, let's do it, and he would be an instant impact difference maker for them if the Colts didn't want to trade him. Within the AFC, the team, and I understand this team has spent I think consecutive or at least two of the last three drafts they've spent second round picks on running Uh yeah, the last two. But they're both injured right now. And that's Seattle. I know Kenneth Walker's really good, but he's hurt. Zach Charbona their draft pick from this year in the second round. He's hurt. It would be a crazy use of resources. But they have a very good I think it will be very good young defense. They have Gino on a cheap deal. They you know, Pete Carroll loves to run the ball. I I wonder if, and I also wonder almost if they could trade what is Zach Charboney's injury. Now, I'm really you know, kind of going full fantasy GM here, but let me so Zach Charbonay's injury, uh, just shoulder discomfort. So I wonder if instead of trading draft picks, you could trade this running back you took in the second round two Indy cost controlled for the next four years for them for Jonathan Taylor Kenneth Walker's week to week with his groin injury. I would keep an eye on that. I could see this Seahawks and John Schneider doing that all right time for our game. Now, Nick GPT. Where I essentially make sense of the senseless is what they say. Sorry, Dak Prescott. Dak Prescott was approached twice about starring in season two of Quarterback, but the clent saying, I get enough media, this team gets enough coverage. Nick GPT, Why did Dak really say no? I think that's right. I actually buy him on that. I also think that it is a legitimate commitment to let these guys mic you up and follow you around all year. I also think that Mahomes, that's that's a tough act to follow. Man. He's such a badass in that series and they win the super Bowl. Now, it doesn't surprise me that Burrow might do it because Burrow's got the you know a. He probably thinks they don't get enough coverage. B Burrow has that level of confidence and he'll be awesome with it. But I think that's a smart call by Deck by Deck. All right, Now to the Bills. The Bills are so inspired by your banners they decided to hang one of their own. Talk about life imitating art. Sean McDermott hung a banner of the Lombardi saying it's a daily reminder of what we're here to do do. Nick GBD, does this compute? I mean, this is farcical. A team that has never won the Lombardi Trophy has a giant banner. You couldn't script this better for me of a Lombardi Trophy in their practice facility to try to inspire hear them. I suppose this is once again the Bills buying into the hype prematurely and setting themselves up for a rough season. I am a seller on the Bills. This year. They did an upgrade wide receiver two. They're gonna ask Josh to run less, which is smart but will hurt their offense. They lost Leslie Frasier. Diggs is pissed about something we still don't totally understand. The division is tougher, and they're talking Lombardi Trophies when they need to be talking about finding a way to get out of Round two. Next to Dame, the NBA sent out a memo basically saying, hey, agents and players, don't do what Dame is doing. What's the NBA actually saying. I think what the NBA is actually saying, and I actually back the NBA up on this is we do not like, nor do we endorse the trend. Pardon me, I had to take a sip of my delicious Starbucks coffee of NBA guys double dipping, and by double dipping, I mean getting the security of the contract extension with their own team and then also specifically demanding trades now And I haven't heard other people make this point because there is the obvious criticism of guys taking a contract extension then demanding a trade. It is actually better for their own their previous teams that they do that rather than just leave in free agency. It would have been better for the Thunder if Durant had signed an extension and then demanded to each traded to Golden State or traded at all. It would have been better for the Cavs if Lebron had signed an extension and then demanded to be traded, then just leaving for nothing. The problem is if, and what I think the NBA is really trying to avoid, is guys taking the extension and then demanding to be traded to a specific place. But again, it's better than guys just leaving out right in free agency for the returning teams, but the specific team demands, which handcuffs you. That obviously is not better for those teams because they can't build out the team the way they want to, all right to Travis Kelcey. After punching a couple of teammates, Kelsey tweeted, he's got to be a better teammate and leader. Nick GBT, what is Kelsey actually saying? I believe he's actually saying that. I disagree with him now. I don't want to punching teammates, most notably because he could hurt his hand. And is this, Nick, Are you being a hypocrite because of how you felt about Draymond? No, of course not. Guys. Hittings another teammate in the helmet in football training camp is not at all the same as cold cocking your teammate and damn near breaking his jaw at basketball training camp. Not the same at all. The reason I don't mind it is if anyone was worried that Kelsey hosting SNL, you know, potentially becoming the goat tight end, winning a second Super Bowl, all of this stuff, didn't have his eye on the ball, You now don't have to worry about that. The guy is so fired up and so intense he's flipping out in consecutive days at training camp. I'm not bothered by it. Michael Jordan's trainer Tim Grover attempted to end the goat debate by saying, ever heard a story of anyone getting robbed for a pair of brawn? Nick, gbt, is the goat debate over? No, of course not. But I will say, as arrogantly as it sounds, I effing told you so. There has not been a take of mine in the last six months that I was more roundly criticized for than when I said on this show and on the TV show that by the rules of engagement that have been set up by the Jordan acolytes, Jordan's ownership tenure with the Hornets, which was an unmitigated disaster, and well, remind me, I'll remind myself to get back to that in a moment, by those that that should be at least a small part of the goat debate in the negat column for Jordan, purely because folks have used how dope his shoes are and how well they sell and the movie air and all of that as a pro a slash in the pro column for him on the goat debate, and folks acted like I had six heads. Oh, Nick, No one does that. No one talks about the sneakers when it comes to the goat stuff, even though everyone knows people do and have And now we have Tim Grover at a giant speech, not as a throwaway line, he said, this is the mic drop moment, like boom, big joker, look at the sneakers. I told you so. Also a lot of people. I want to be very careful about this how I phrase this, but there seemed to be more than a few credible reports that I wish someone would, like the Wall Street Journal, would put a reporter on to really nail down. But there seemed to be a lot of people in the financial services sector that believe Jordans sold the Hornets because he owed hundreds of millions of dollars because he was one of the major shorters of the game stop stock. And again I have not run down that story, but I have now heard it from three different places, most recently from last night, from someone who I really feel would know that this is exactly what happened. And if that's true, that Jordan's I mean obsessive gambling got to the point to where he had to sell his basketball team. Honestly, that kind of makes me like him more. It's also hilarious because no one has quite explained why he sold the team. Oh, Nick, he made billions. Well it wasn't a yes, but he was never not going to make billions. And of course those teams are only going up up in valuations and they're about to have a brand new television deal where they'd be worthy. And more so, the timing of it was curious, and the fact that he announced he was selling it before they knew whether you know, they could have gotten wimby he it was announced he was selling it before the draft lottery to intriguing story that I hope uh the Wall Street Journal or Fortune or somebody can run down uh elon. Musk, by the way, changed the X which is the new Twitter slow twitters. I'm sorry, changed the ex slogan used to be Twitter to blaze your glory, Nick Gpt, What the bleep does this mean? I listen. I gotta tell you I I think Musk has done an objectively cartoonish bad job. I also use Twitter as much as ever, not more, but my usage has not gone down. Now, my enjoyment of it, my ability to you know, check mentions is dead. There are certain things that have just gotten objectively worse. But as far as like the none of those threads. I never signed up for Blue Sky all these things. Twitter has such a massive head start that, no matter how personally reprehensible I find Musk to be, and I mean he's out here tweeting about white genocide in South Africa, Like, give me a break, buddy, I it is still an invaluable resource for me. And it has not broken. I know a lot of people were like, oh, it's gonna break. They fired all the engineers, and it is clunkier, and there have been days it has been down. But I don't care what they call it as long as it's still the place that has Joe Burrow. You know, I saw that Joe Burrow suffered a calf injury minutes after it happened, before it was on any television network. It was while it was live on TV, and we had it on the show immediately, and it was because of Twitter. Still super useful, all right. Lastly, the producer saw a very vague tweet from Demonse the other day that read, there's apparently this podcast on YouTube that just spreads misinformation about me, Nick Gpt. Who could Demanse be talking about. I think he's almost assuredly talking about us, maybe his sister and I when we were doing the ghost conversation. But Demonse, if you see this, it would I I really pray he's talking about a different podcast. I should text him. I'm gonna text him now and maybe he'll respond. Hold On, Demanse, were we the podcast you were tweeting about? Because it would thrill me if it's a different podcast. If Demand has gotten big enough that there is a podcast other than this one that's like, hey, you know the Demandse guy from What's Right, and then they're spreading lies about him. I know it would be a pain in the ass and stressful for him, but that would be a badge of honor. There's a there in fact, hold on, let me see if I can find it. Someone sent me Nick hold on a YouTube video. Let me see if I can oh here it is. There's a YouTube video right now that has seventy five thousand views from a guy that seems to take himself very seriously, that claims it's twenty one minutes long to be an expose that I'm a clutch sports client like he's uncovered it, which again is something I have talked about publicly for two years since it's been true. That's first of all. Second of all, is such a backwards understanding of that. People are like, oh, how can you take Nick's lebron take seriously when Clutch is paying them? Guys, your agents don't pay you, You pay them, and I am not. I. I am repped by UTA, and my agent is Ryan Hayden, who's excellent. UTA and Clutt Clutch are partners. Rich is on the board of UTA, and Rich is the one, Rich Paul of Clutch Sports who hooked me up with Ryan Hayden, And that's who I work with. That's kind that's how the business works or whatever. Rich isn't negotiating my contracts. Have I ever bounced business stuff off of Rich? Of course he's brilliant on that stuff. Yeah. Uh, but they don't pay me. I pay them. If anything, Rich and them should be out there talking about how I'm the goat, not the other way around. Quick break right back, answer your questions? What's right? All right? Welcome back in what's right with Nick? Right? Let's answer some fan questions.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Producer Dan asks who's the more incompetent owner, MJ or Elon. It's MJ. It's not even close. Elon's a pain in the ass, but he has he can't say he's the worst in modern history in his business. And Jordan was the as far as on court performance, the worst owner of the twenty first century. It's not even close. Jerk Nlow asks, do you think any current quarterback will finish their career with more than two Super Bowls? Aside from Mahomes, No, three plus two quarterbacks at the same time winning three plus. No, I don't. It's never happened. I mean, Bradshaw won four in the seventies, Montana won four in the eighties, Aikmn won three in the nineties. Brady won six over a twenty year stretch. No one over you know in those periods got more than two. No, I absolutely don't. Jose Castro says, do you think Alcarez should be favored in the US Open over Djokovic? I told you you guys, I'm becking him in every major from for now until twenty twenty eight. Autcarez is gonna be my pick to win every major, and I'll win more money than I'll lose. Tyler Vaughan says, let's say you could control the chief's destiny, what would you prefer this season they go undefeated and win the Super Bowl, or they have the NFL's first three peat but never consecutive Super Bowls afterwards. Well, I'm gonna listen the I don't totally understand the second part of that question. They get a three peat but never consecutive. Let's just what would I like? More undefeated this year and win the Super Bowl and don't win next year, or they three pat but don't go undefeated in either season. I would prefer the three peat for two reasons. One is, I think it's harder to duplicate. We have seen seen teams come closer to undefeated than we've seen to three peating. And two is I I think it would be good. I think it would be a cooler carrot to dangle out there for every individual season thereafter, let's try to go undefeated. As opposed if they were to go undefeated, win the Super Bowl and then lose next year, you can't really dangle the three peak carrot because that's a multi season, you know, objective. If they go if they were to three peat, you would still every year be able to say, what have we not done? We're not we haven't gone undefeated. Nick, Are you getting ahead of yourself done on this stuff? Absolutely not. It's the greatest player ever and a guy who's gonna be one of the three greatest coaches ever. No, I'm not getting out of myself. This guy says, Oh, no, Nick is a Caramel pronouncer. I don't know Carmel Caramel. I don't know there's an a. There's two ways. I mean, seems like it's caramel. Shelton Johnson says, why did you give Trevor a pass when he had a bad coaching staff but not justin fields? When he had a coach you didn't believe in him? And Matt Nagy. I'm not anti justin.
Speaker 3: Fields, the the the the I'm flatle not anti justin fields.
Speaker 2: I'm not arguing that justin fields isn't gonna be really good. But for the record, Trevor had one of the worst coaching staffs in NFL history, Matt Nagy is a pretty good quarterbacks coach, and Trevor's just flatly better than justin fields. But I justin fields might end up being awesome. We haven't seen it yet. We have seen it already from Trevor just said. We found the podcast shading Demonse. Wait, don't put it, don't do it publicly. Wait, so it's actually not us that he's talking about. Oh, it's the Joe Rogan podcast. Okay, that's not true. You guys got me excited. You guys got me very excited that you guys had actually found it. I would have been so happy if we had actually found the podcast. Shading Demonse. Demanse has not has he texted me back yet? Uh, Demanse is not text me back yet. We will report on Thursday, hopefully with Danielle along our side. We will report back on that. And we've got a ton. We got a ton to get to throughout the rest of the week. Oh, today, I'm on with Colin. I'm also on Collin's podcast tonight and three o'clock today on FS one twenty twenty three, First Things, First Quarterback Pyramid. We will get into that extensively. All that's later today on Fox Sport twenty You can see me there. Have a great day, everybody. What's right