Speaker 1: Miligue has how a knowledge you want, league, but has how.
Speaker 2: The knowledge you need.
Speaker 3: Cheat.
Speaker 1: They have out of books that the whole wild world one up read Malague Books. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshelf, bringing the world together with books, culture and community. Hi, my name was Malik, your host of Malik's bookshef Whoo. We was in an eventful day yesterday because we hosted Cedric the entertainer at Malik Books and it was festive. The community came out, showed out. It was electric, it was awesome, It was incredible. I love it. When we hit a home run out the park. We took over the Westfield Cuova City Mall aka Fox. We took it over. It was electric, it was exciting. The people were so beautiful. Listen, we don't all always get an a list, and we got one yesterday. We've been planning for a few months and the people came out. We signed a lot of books, sold a lot of books. Cedric and his team was so excited on the event that we were able to host. We did a wonderful job. We sold around two hundred bucks. That's right, came Cedric some comportunnel. You know. He already been touring the country for a couple of weeks then since the book was released. But tonight, well last night, that is, he was at Malik Books and we had a crowd that took over the mall and we was just so festive and had a great time. The people energy was high, it was electric, and we had left. It was a day of laughter and literature. That's right, laughter and literature. What Cedric the entertaining, let me tell you. So when he came in, we embraced each other. He gave me woo some shoutouts that you're gonna be able to hear on this podcast. I did it that. You know, you can't come to Malice and me not get an interview, especially when you're a listener. I'm gonna roll up even if your publicist hasn't green light why because we're brothers, were in the community, and no one knows about your book more than you. You wrote it. So therefore I need to ask you a few questions about your timely book. And I don't think that that should come with asking anybody permission. But I roll up and I do what I do, and it's organic and it's not scripted, and I don't have questions, but hey, we're gonna engage. I'm gonna say, hey, I got a podcast, let me get a couple of questions in, and we're gonna go for it. And that's what I did. And I was able to get an interview right on the spot with Centric the Entertainer for my podcast, and my also got it on video, so you know, I'm gonna put that up on you to But in the meantime, Hey, I'm gonna go ahead and feature my interview with Cedric the Entertainer on this podcast, Malik's Bookshelf bringing a world together with books, culture and community. And I'm hoping you enjoy, because I know I did. It ain't every day that I get a chance to talk with and our Connie. Hey, listener, you know, Cedric has won awards, he's done game shows, he's done sitcoms, he's done stand up. He's entertainer. He can sing, he can dance, he can do a lot of things. But hey, on this night, on September thirtieth, we was able to host him right in my league book. Let me tell you something. When the mall found out that Cedric the Entertainer was coming to Malik's you know, they wanted to assist in every possible way to ensure the success of this event. So I appreciate the Westfield coch City Mall for indulging us and assisting us and helping us and trying to make this and it was not try making this a successful event. Cedric's publisherst team, some of his management team as well as you know Safety in the neighborhood. So a lot of some of the people involved in producing this show the neighborhood. They was there as well. So we had a wonderful event. It was some VIPs. It stepped by, like I said, and the community came out and it was And let me tell you something, man Cedric the entertator recognized the passion of Malik books. He recognized the hype because I'm the hype man, and he recognized that all the social media posts that I brought my creativity. He was like, this brother is charged, This brother is pushing his book flipping.
Speaker 2: Box cars like nobody else.
Speaker 1: Because I am the late nights person of books. And so he recognized that. He acknowledged that went out did my interview. He blew me away. He recognized that energy that passion, that hypeness and he talked to me about that on the podcast interview. And he's not the only one head of the knowledge that you know, when three people tell you the same thing and they don't know each other, then it must be some truth to it. Look, Ryan Seacrest recognized my passion. That's why he helped, you know, indulge me with getting this podcast. Who else said you to entertate to recognize that passion and that hypeness. And know, well, another guy who used to be the hype man for what mc hammer back in the day when he was on top of the world, and so he was not only his hype man, he won his dancers and so forth. He came in and said, brother, you the hype man of book. So look, these are three people don't know each other, never talk to each other, and they talk about Malik and my hype and my passion and how I push books man, and I do it wherever I go, whatever stage I'm on, and I'm just blessed to have you know, I consider this Elik two point oh why because Malik back in the day, I wasn't like this. It's like I'm almost it's almost like like George Foreman, you know, the old George Foreman, headweight champion, didn't talk much, and then the new George Forman who became the heavyweight champion when he went on the spiritual quest and he became more energetic, more passionate, more outgoing, commentating, talking, more spirit That's like that, that's kind of transformation I feel like I've had now. I don't know what created that, you know what I'm saying, and but I know that years ago Desic can go and I talked to Cedric about that when his interview. You know, this is the Elk two point oh. And I'm loving it because I'm more passionate, I'm more energetic, I got more energy, I'm more hype, and I'm just you know, and it's all organic, it's all now, it ain't scripted. And let me tell you something. You asked me to say something again, I'm gonna say it different you know why, because that's me. I don't know how to just mimic something you know or read it from a paper. I gotta come from the art. I gotta come from what I know. And I'm gonna say it in a way each and every time differently. Why because I wasn't born with a lot of this photogenic memory that a lot of people have. They can read these scripts and then they can talk about you know, repeat this over and over. I ain't never been like that. I got a degree from mESC, I passed high school, but one thing for certain, I ain't never been that type of student. I've never learned that way. My brain don't work that way, and I realized that it never will. So I'm content and happy or who I am? You know, I can tell you right now, I don't even know. I couldn't recite or sing one song from the beginning or the ending. So I admire people who are entertainers, whom are artists, who can remember all those different songs and stand up before all those people and do what they do. I ain't never been like that. Or these actors who can read a script and verbally, you know, say the lines and just read it in a minute or two, you know, a whole page, or for the Jim Remeo or some tat or just had a good memory. They can. I ain't never had a brain that way, and I realized I never will. And you know what, I never looked at it as a handicap, because despite that, I would, you know, if I had to study to pass a test when I was in college, I knew that the day before or two days before. That's when I sat down and I studied, because then I was going to be able to retain that information. But right after that test, man, I don't know where that information it is gone. It's gone. So I know that for me, it would works for me, and that's what everybody gotta find. What works for you. What works for me is that I took you know, and I never looked at it as a handicap. I just looked at it. This is how I am. And I'm sure I'm not the only one out here. I don't have a memory that can remember a lot of things in that way. But on the spot, at the moment, give me a mustard seed and I'm gonna blow it up like a mountain. And that's what I do for Malike books. And it ain't scripted, you know, Like I said, you know, it took me a long time, and I'm just opening up, you know, about a little bit about me being who I am and how I didn't let obstacle stop me from the excitement and the energy that I put into my brand Elik books. You know, I've never when it came to even like learning and remembering like the prayer, that was a challenge for me, and I have to say it over and over and over, and even when I said over and over and over, I still sometimes stumble with saying it exactly in the order that it was supposed to be. But you know what, that's I'm not looking at that as a handicap. I look as that is me being me, and I'm gonna be me. I'm gonna move forward, I'm gonna enjoy me, and I'm not gonna use whatever. I know that I have limitations to stop me from being who and what I am. So I'm the hype man of books, and I do a one and done when I do certain book reviews and so forth. If I had to come back and do it again, I'm not gonna say it the same way, you know why, because my brain don't work that way. When I read the book and then I come and do a book review, I'm not writing it down. I'm coming from the heart. And if I had to do a take two, it's gonna come out different, you know why, because that's the way my mind worked. So, hey, I got an interview with Cedric the Entertainer, and I interviewed him on the spot. Didn't think about what questions I was gonna ask, didn't think about, you know anything. I just wanted this opportunity, and I wanted to be electric, and I wanted to be exciting. And he was at Melik Books, and Malik two point zho showed up and showed out. It was just an efestive and wonderful event. And so the only thing I'm gonna feature on this episode is my interview with Cedric the Entertainer. So enjoy. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to Malik's Bookshell bringing the world together with books, coaching community and today Cedric the Entertainer is at Melik Books and he's blessing me to ask a few questions from my audience. Cedric flipping the boss car, how you doing talk to us about this wonderful book? What's going on? And Malik, Man, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's my first time writing a novel, Man, so I'm excited about the response that people are having to it. Man, it's a story about a fictional story about my grandfather getting these are those stories you get in your family sitting on the family reunion, and then and then and then I just took that and used my imagination to tell a great story around four or five days in his life.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, what spark you. I mean to go there because this is your debut novel. I mean you comedy, you do sitcoms, got your Hollywood star and now you write it, wrote a book. What was his gration? Like myself, you know, I was. I tried to do what I do, which is television.
Speaker 3: And so but when the opportunity that came to write a book, you know came, I was like, you know, this show has the has all this TV show has all the makings of a good book. And so we went and investigated it and it was just a great opportunity.
Speaker 1: Right there, we're doing this podcast right here in the middle of book signing the Malise books. He didn'et came to Malik today. It was standing room only. The community came out, showed out. So if we get interrupted, Hey, everybody want to get there. You know what I'm saying. She oh, and now gonna be the now she individge she done. She walked at my TV show like that. Yes, yes, yes, yes, Terry.
Speaker 2: And today a lot of people came out. I mean, I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: It was some high pro It was some people from the neighborhood, the production of the neighborhood. They came out and showed the love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know why we got them off the mountain.
Speaker 1: They came down.
Speaker 3: Man, that was really good man, Like, you know, this was uh, the fact that we've been on you know, everybody been on strike, but that that fact that there was so much love and so much family that all the production crew, the back crew, everybody showed up in.
Speaker 1: Man, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: I went hard. Brother.
Speaker 1: You saw all my social media posts and I did them. I didn't paint nobody. I sat at home and did it. I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: The only person could compete with she was DJ Kelly right now, you the king of hip, like.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm the kid.
Speaker 1: You know, they call me the late night salesman of books like Kyle Waterson back in the day with the car Well, I'm the late night self person for books.
Speaker 2: And look he said, I'm the hype man for books.
Speaker 1: I Dinet had one of mc Hammer's uh dancers come in here named Larry. He came up here and said, Man, I was a hype man for MC and I had to come and meet you personally. You know why because man, the way you hype up book, ain't nobody hyping or telling my audience again.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody hyping up no book like Malik books. Man, you heard it lot, I've got excited.
Speaker 1: He you heard it lot right here at Milik book. He got excited centric the dent tighter. I just used my this is miliek two point Oh my brother, Look you caught me ten years ago.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Why he was out quieter everybody, come on out. You had you to Late night DJ boye on now you like got it? I liked you're good man and bringing in and we sold some books.
Speaker 1: Man sold some books.
Speaker 3: We had some books right now. So I'll tell you if you got a book out, come talk to Malik. Even if you got a small magazine or pamphlet.
Speaker 2: Come out. If you want it hyped up. All you gotta do it is call it for me. I take care. I get it hype. You like in sales. I get it hype. You know I'm the late night self person for books. Man. I was hyped when they called me and gave me the call.
Speaker 1: They said, Central did say he come into my late books, my first content.
Speaker 2: Guess who come into the neighborhood. Yeah, I love that, man.
Speaker 1: You know what I saw you?
Speaker 3: You did, You did my h you were at at the wine spot and you did my other brother's book.
Speaker 1: And that's why I was like.
Speaker 3: Yes, I said, I gotta cut on my man. He was like serious about books right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah you remember yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, exactly ramon Herbie's book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good man. So that's what that's what That's what anybody understand. And like you're a business person, you never know where it's gonna happen next. And the fact that you was in there so passionate about books when they came in and they didn't have this on my list, and I say, oh no, man, we got to go to my main book store.
Speaker 1: You heard it, you hurt.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: That's the blueprint for all the authors out there. If you black and you author and they sticking you all the mainStreet store, you gotta support the independent black store.
Speaker 2: Look. Sedric made sure he came to the neighborhood. He came to miliit Bo. He told his brother, Hey, I got to show up at Milie.
Speaker 1: That's what it takes, you know what I'm saying, a little puss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, you know what I mean. And it's the one that wins it. You know, I feel like you know what I mean. You saw, coach, You showed up the neighborhood, showed up. People really inspired by it. And that's who I wrote the book for. So I mean, of course I want everybody to read it, but it was that energy, that energy you brought to day that made it good. I mean, I got carpet tunnel. That's hold what I signy.
Speaker 1: With one hand. I'm right handed.
Speaker 3: I'm right left handed right now?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, Well they showed up and showed out, and they showed cudrigentitey some love today, you know, and they're gonna post, they gonna tag, and that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: Let the streets know. You know that. Hey, this was live, it was lit. It was about you tonight, my brother, it was all about you.
Speaker 3: No, this was awesome, man, And I appreciate the love man. You know, your lovely wife holding it down. She did so many jobs. I mean, you the king of height. But somebody in here is really doing all the work. I ain't going and.
Speaker 2: I said, I said, secret wiping. I'm gonna linked boat.
Speaker 1: She is. And so we work night and day together, and so hey, you know, literally wake up together, go to bed together, work together.
Speaker 2: Do everything together. You know, you know family that stay together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pray together, stay together all that. Man, work hard and stell a lot of books.
Speaker 1: Sell a lot of book That's what this is all about. Selling bull Look, we got autograph cop cedric. Listen, if you want an autograph copy, what tell to get it at? And Malik Book, y'all come get it.
Speaker 3: Man. You got books for days, and not just my books. We got all kinds of books. But both pay me come here to get my book. Okay, so buy my book and then gonna get other people's books because it's all kinds of books in But get my book.
Speaker 1: Slipping box car, flipping box card. You heard it live right here at Malik Books. Saturate the end a tighter. Thank you, my brother. All right, so we're gonna sign some buds.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We should appreciate this, hey man. This book is was a labor of love. It was my first novel.
Speaker 3: I wrote it about my grandfather, who I didn't get a chance to meet, but I heard these stories and then I started to imagine his life and that's how I got into this story. And I'm really proud of it, and so I hope y'all enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: And then for those who don't read, it's an audio book.
Speaker 2: Going to school, like.
Speaker 3: We're gonna tell me, yo, you told me, y'all got DNA spilled out right, because I didn't want nobody walking alright, let's rock y'all.
Speaker 1: Y'all said it. Until you read, you gotta go to the link books.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to Malak's bookshelf, where topics on the shelf are books, culture, and community. Be sure to subscribe and leave me a review. Check out my Instagram at Malak Books. See you next time.