Speaker 1: Ruby.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Rich Swartz.
Speaker 1: What is this world?
Speaker 3: A Marco went and this this is Amazing Wildlife where we explore stories of wildlife from around the world and uncovered fascinating animal facts. This podcast is brought to you in partnership with iHeartRadio's Ruby Studio and San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, an international nonprofit conservation organization which oversees this beautiful place, the San Diego.
Speaker 2: Zoo and the Safari Park.
Speaker 1: What a lovely little spot we're at, right.
Speaker 3: We are, we are, and it's perfect, I think for this topic because they're.
Speaker 2: Just down the way from us. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Are you referring to a large black and white mammals?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are a bear.
Speaker 1: Wait, I can.
Speaker 4: Like you said, we're at the San Diego Zo We're right below one of my favorite spots for a canyon. Back the way, we got tom I right there is Andy and bear to our left we got sun bear going on, really unique type of mammal, some of my favorites.
Speaker 1: But to your point, we're talking about the giant pandas.
Speaker 3: Right we are, we are getting an update if you will, because about this time, almost this time last year when this episode comes out. We were announcing Pantas were on the way. We're getting ready to show them.
Speaker 2: That Panda Ridge was being redone.
Speaker 3: So much activity and such a short amount of time to get everything ready for these two awesome bears.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know, And we actually we're talking before like maybe about a month from when this episode drops.
Speaker 1: It's going to be officially California.
Speaker 3: Panaday August eighth, August eight, that was declared basically when we opened Panda Ridge, officially that that was California Panaday August eighth, and the very first anniversary of that is coming up. So yeah, we want people to know it's a very special day. We're gonna do some really cool things for it. So keep listening and watching to find out what's going on. Check out the Zoos social media. They'll be posting a lot about it as well. But I think really people are listening right now not to hear about what we're doing for Panaday. They want to about the giant pandas.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a little bit right, friend, and so I think we need to update everyone, including you and I what's going.
Speaker 2: On with Panda. Well, then let's ask Jessica our guests.
Speaker 5: Good morning, guys. Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you for hanging out with us, maybe to share all these interesting things we love.
Speaker 5: Talking about pandas, Like I spent all day talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh, we don't have all day. We will fill as much time as we need to. First of all, Jessica, introduce yourself to our audience. What exactly is your title? What do you do here at the San Diego Zoo? And no, why do you know so much about pandama?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my name is Jessica. I'm a senior wildlife care specialist here at the San Diego Zoo. I've been with the San Diego Zoo for about six and a half years now. I have been working with the giant pandas since before they came. So I got to go to China and start working with Yunschwan and Singbao while they were still in China, I got to work with their care specialists there, start to teach them a few commands in English, a few words in English, learn their personalities, and then that helped have a really smooth transition for them to come over here. So they had the same care team. They already knew my face, my voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're sent Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: So then when they came here, I continue to work with the giant panda, so I've been working with them for over a year now.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 4: I'm glad he talked about going to China and working with the team there because in the previous PAN episode it was with Nicky Boy, can you remember, right, she was mentioning a lot of that as well, and she and I, all of us here are very behavior oriented people, you know, So I was really stoked that you brought that up because it's definitely something I want to ask you sort of update to some of the behaviors that Nikki was saying prior that you guys have been working on. But I think though, guys, you know, before we get started, because maybe people forgot, like, who are the two giant pans we have here at Panda Ridge at the zoo?
Speaker 1: Can you talk about it?
Speaker 5: We have two wonderful giant pandas obviously that we brought a male and a female. So we have Yun Schwan. He's our male. Almost his birthday, he's about to turn six. Oh yeah, oh so he's a five year old male. And then Sing Bao is our female. She's going to turn five soon. Giant Pandas are born around the same time every year, so their birthdays, of course are around the same time. So they're both about to turn five and six. This will be their second celebrated birthday here at the San Diego too. So they have settled in really really well, having been here almost a year now. They have been in both habitats. Both of them have been in each habitat for a little bit of time, and they really settled into San Diego. So they're loving this San Diego love SOCOW lifestyle. Okay, it is very up the alley for giant panda. They love that SOCOW lifestyle.
Speaker 3: Okay. So I think it's fairer than share with our audience because I think in general people have that Southern California San Diego lifestyles, laid back, relax, you know, hanging on the beach, just pretty chill, and you're sam, pandas fit that really well?
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 3: Why do panda fit our lifestyle here in San Diego so well?
Speaker 5: Giant Pandas fit that SOCOW lifestyle really well because they do spend most of their time just eating and sleeping.
Speaker 4: So they yeah, I mean, you were laughing about it before, you know, but we had a specific reason why, right, can you hint at it? Because their carnivore But I was really fascinating you were talking about there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so giant pandas are true bears, so they do have carnivore digestive systems. They have those canines, those sharp teeth, those sharp claws, true carnivore digestive systems. But they only eat bamboo. Of what they eat is sampoo anyway, so they don't get a lot of nutrients out of the food that they eat. So they have to consume such a high volume of food to be able to get enough nutrients. And then they have to sleep a lot so while their body processes all that. So most of what a giant panda does is eating and sleeping. They'll wake up, eat until they're full, and then sleep for three to four hours and do that kind of on repeat for twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, Amanda, Actually she's behind the camera right after, you don't know, but she was asking prior to because you know, some animals have like a hind gut kind of fermentation process, you know, but it's not like that for panas. You're basically saying, you know, yeah, I'm a carnivore, but I'm eating all this planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I just got to keep on eating and eating exactly.
Speaker 5: So they eat tons of food every day. We feed them more food than they could ever possibly eat. The day they get a schmorcus spoored here, so they have their pick of what they want. You don't want to eat the same thing for every single meal, so we give them a ton of variety every single day. We give close to eighty to one hundred pounds of bamboo every single day, and then we don't all eat the same amount of food every day either, So giant pandas are just like that. Some days they'll eat forty pounds of food. Sometimes they'll eat close to that eighty pounds in a day, But it comes out just like it goes in, so they don't really digest it. They don't have that high bet that ruminants have to be able to break that down and really absorb all of the nutrients that come out of that. So they're really going to eat as much as they can and then sleep while their body processes as much of that as it can to get as much nutrients out of it. As possible, but they don't eat what their body is designed to eat as a large carnivore.
Speaker 2: Does anybody knows there been any research.
Speaker 3: Why would a species like the panda bear, which is the teeth of a carnivore, the digestive of the carnivore go through the process of and obviously for a very long time now, being such a high herbivore diet animal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a really good question. Actually, they have adapted to the most readily available resource, so they have no natural predators. So a giant panda has no need to use all those carnivore adaptations that they have, so they are true bear, so they have those teeth in those claws, but with no natural predators, they have adapted to be able to eat what is most readily available, which is bamboo, so it's everywhere. They don't have to chase it. Their food's not going to run away, so they have adapted to be able to process bamboo and use that as their natural food resource. And then because they have no natural predators, they can spend that extra time sleeping so that their body can process that. They are a solitary species, so they do still have those carnivore adaptations to be able to defend their territory if then when they need to, but they do a really good job of avoiding that at all costs. They would much rather not have to use any of those adaptations. They really just yeah, they want to save as much energy as possible, so they just want to eat bamboo and sleep. So they do a good job of marking their territory.
Speaker 1: They use to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they use their scent and things like that to make sure that they kind of mark off their own zones and they avoid each other.
Speaker 3: I think it's fascinating that the digestive system hasn't really changed much to work with that environment, to work with what's readily available to consume the bamboo.
Speaker 2: But there's other adaptations.
Speaker 3: This is that other bears don't have, so they can hold the bamboo.
Speaker 4: No totally, because I called it a thumb, but then you elaborated a little more.
Speaker 1: They sort of called the pseudo thumb for a giant pan.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So when you watch giant hand to eat, it's the cutest thing ever. I could watch them eat all day. So it actually looks like they're holding and gripping the bamboo, which allows them to maneuver it, to strip the coating off of it, to eat the different pieces of the plant, because they eat all different parts of the plant. But it looks like a thumb that they're gripping with, but it's actually what we call a pseudo thumb. It's an elongated wristbone that acts as a opposable thumb so that they can manipulate that bamboo in order to process and man for all the different parts of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, so kids, this is what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Get a ruler and somehow I don't use tapecausey're really hurt coming off, but maybe like get a shoelace to strap the ruler to your forearm so it sticks out past your hand a little bit and then cut your hand and try and grab things, because that's really what it is. And they don't have a thumb like we have, so it's hand, yeah, to kind of grab and hold on. But they've obviously done such a great job because I've seen it too.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it looks like.
Speaker 5: They're very adept at using those adaptations.
Speaker 3: Do you remember in our bamboo episode from last year without him, he was saying that it's the strongest fiber out how powerful they have to be. So that's the other adaptation pandas have is this incredibly powerful bite and we can.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 3: So if you're here at the zoo, look at the sun bears, or near the pandas, look at the other bears that we have. And then when you look at the panda, you see that adorable, very round face.
Speaker 2: But that's all that muscle tissue exactly.
Speaker 3: In the jaw area and on the head to crush that bamboo in a single bite. And that's another interesting adaptation. So we have the pseudo thumb, we have the incredibly large, powerful skull with all those muscles in it and the teeth and jaws, and yet still the digestive system is out of a carnivore like all these things that allows them to do what they do.
Speaker 2: But oh, by the way, you just have to eat a bunch of sleep.
Speaker 1: But it's so great to me that just the nuances of bears in general.
Speaker 4: You know, like Megan talked about the polar bear way back in the day, to remember that just a real set niche like over ninety percent of their diet or ring next seals. But I just love that ability of behavior being modified as well. I mean, we're talking about these physical adaptations, but they're also behaviorally acting a little differently.
Speaker 1: There's the asiatic black bear right, can be.
Speaker 4: Found in certain regions nearby, but behaviorally very different as well.
Speaker 1: But I really like that also.
Speaker 4: But I'm getting sidetracked because I don't want to forget to ask you because Nikki the last episode, she was talking about some of these behaviors that you guys have been working on previously for them moving here to the San Diego Zoo. Right, she had mentioned in open mouth behavior blood draws she mentioned, you guys are going to start working recast. So I don't know if you can spill the tea, but I kind of want to know haw's it's been going.
Speaker 1: It's been about a year now, Yeah, can.
Speaker 5: You Yeah, I can let you guys in on the insider information on that the behavior. Yeah, so those behaviors that we've been developing for the last year have really solidified. These guys are really intelligent bears. They learn very quickly. Pandas in general are extremely intelligent bears. Bears are extremely intelligent species. Giant pandas are no exception to that. They make it look easy. They just you know, they chill and relax. They're super duper smart. So we do have the open mouth behavior trained. We also have a recall trained that we have been working on. It's a really useful behavior to train for all of our large mammals, not just large carnivores at the San Diego Zoo. So it's basically a specialized cowbell sound, so believe it or not, there are many different cowbell sounds or not just one cow bell sound, right.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't have to be cowbell too on a point out right, it could be a lot of different sounds depending but you're using for.
Speaker 5: These ones specifically because animals have such great hearing, very signature noise, so another animal across the zoo is going to be able to hear that recall sound totally, so we want to make sure it's unique for each animal zoo. So there special goodies that they get to come in for. Is actually Kerns guava nectar. Oh well, right, doesn't love urns commercially available, but they love it.
Speaker 4: They yummy fruit to what Yeah, but I call it in Spanish, but that's super super yummy. Just in case some of the kids that are listening to because we said recall. But that's basically like a behavior if maybe I don't know, maybe a branch falls in the habitat. I mean once I had a Virginia possum actually going to the Castlory habitat.
Speaker 1: I was door. Luckily I had the recall established and Ponto came right in. It was no big deal.
Speaker 4: And to your point, we had to actually coordinate with Tiger team across the way because I didn't want to use the same sound as the Tiger's right. But that's really great that you're established that behavior for who knows what can happen out in the habit Yeah.
Speaker 5: We've actually had to use it once because a hat felons the habitat, So you know, super critical had to save that hat.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you get the right hat, I mean yeah, And I sure they appreciated it, right, Yeah, Well.
Speaker 2: I think too.
Speaker 3: It's important as a pet owner, recalls are important, you know, should there ever be an emergency situation of any sort, drastic or not, or just a hat, to have that recall, to be able to bring your animal into a safe space is so important.
Speaker 2: And I love.
Speaker 3: That that's something we incorporate here. At the San Diego Zoo, something that we used to do way back in my first years of animal training with dog training was established the recall totally. I do want to go back to something though you had mentioned, and I know Niki had mentioned in the previous panned episode we did last season, the open mouth behavior. I think Nikki touched on why that's important and why we do it, but I'd love to hear from you. Yeah, what is it that that is such an important thing for us to have with our animals here at the Sandiego Yeah, we train.
Speaker 5: A lot of behavior specifically for being able to get close eyes and examination on our animals. So the open mouth behavior allows us to inspect their teeth. They can't see a dentist every year like we can, right, so we can monitor their health very closely by training specific behaviors. Open mouth is one of those behaviors that we train. Other behaviors that we train our blood pressure reading, so we do take our pandas blood pressure believe it or not, we used to take it every single week so we can establish a baseline for their health. So they're super young bears, so at this point they're healthy individuals. We can save all of that data and information so that as they age, where if at some point they become geriatric bears in our care, we can have that young baseline blood pressure to compare to for when they're older, so we can catch any health issues really early on. Changes in blood pressure are a huge indicator of health concerns, so we do a lot of behaviors like that that allow us to monitor their health very very closely.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm care. Can you describe it? How do you take the blood pressure of a hand abase? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So it's just like a human So if you've been to the doctor, had your bloodressure, take it. Almost everybody has. It's not comfortable, right, It squeezes. You can feel your heart rate in your arm, So imagine a bear doing that. You can't explain to them why it's important for them to hold still and get their blood pressure taken, but we establish a really strong relationship through training that they are willing to sit there. They have the freedom to remove their arm and leave if they'd like to. They're not restrained. It's fully their choice to participate.
Speaker 4: Which I love that different than in the past setting a scenario a certain way, but this is them taking part of the situation having ownership in control of it, right, absolutely.
Speaker 5: So we do have a specialized sleeve we call it. It's an attachment that goes into their training area with an opening and a handle so they can put their arm through and expose their arms so that we can wrap a blood pressure cuff to their arm the exact same as a human one. It's the same exact blood pressure cuff, and then the blood pressure machine takes their reading.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: It's actually a lot more straightforward and.
Speaker 1: It too. Oh.
Speaker 4: Actually, well, we were talking about these behaviors you guys, I kind of want to know, like, you have a training plan, right, this is how we're going to train this blood pressure behave as an example. They're different personalities, right, so I'm kind of curious like how we're training each one, Like did one learn it faster than the other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a really great question. So the approximations for each training behavior, we break it down. Sometimes they can skip several steps and they can just jump right through because they're super smart.
Speaker 1: They know what you want, you know exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they typically can train very very quickly. These bears are super smart. There are behaviors that we've been able to shape in one day alone, and then we sometimes you have breakdowns where if you don't train a behavior for a little while, then they kind of maybe a little reminder, a little pressure. And I would say that two bears are very different in their personalities, so they each trained behaviors at a different pace. So some things he trained really really quickly and she did it, and somethings she trained really really quickly and he didn't.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 5: Overall, though, these bears are super easy to work with. They're super smart. Both of them train very quickly. They make it easy.
Speaker 1: They're motivated, Nikki brought that out to here, Like they're very food motivated, like they want to eat, so that kind of helps they do.
Speaker 5: They love to eat. And they're very personal bears as much as they are wild animals. We never share space with them. All protective content, all protected contact. They do really enjoy that training interaction, that.
Speaker 2: Cognitive exercise, brain exercise.
Speaker 5: They really enjoy that brain exercise interaction time. So they love to train.
Speaker 3: That's cool that it's rewarding overall, like the whole process for them to rewarding, not just oh I get a reward for doing the behavior, you know, as far as food goes. Yeah, I do want to ask, so let mean, Mark, are you done with the questions? Okay, I might have more later, but trying to think like our guests, right, Like when the Pandas Furs got here, it was all timed tickets and now we've kind of shifted more to time tickets during the busy season and busy time. But otherwise you can just get in the queue and line up and see them as I'm a guest coming in to see the Pandas. Do either one of them have a favorite spot and habitat to hang out that I should be looking for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sleep a lot, they do.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 5: A lot of people ask us where they're at and when they're awake, so.
Speaker 1: I want to schedule.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, as I mentioned before that they eat for a while total fold then they sleep three to four hours. So that's not the same three to four hours every single day. So I don't know in a given day when they're going to be awaken, when they're going to be asleep. That's really up to their bodies and their digestive systems. But they do have some favorite spots. Oh yeah, Yeah, so they really like some cool, damp, dry areas, especially this time of year. So in our hillside habitat, we do have this really cool rock cave. There's some spots inside the cave that Singbao really likes to hang out in the afternoon. And there's some spots on top of the cave that both candles love whenever they're in that hillside habitat above the cave. Favorite spot.
Speaker 1: It's the cutest thing is head just rolled back there. That's spot I love. The other one, yeah, and the.
Speaker 5: Other habitat, we have this really cool bonzai shaped pine. They love the pine tree, so they can climb all the way to the top of that pine tree. During this time of year, as we're starting to warm up, they have been spending a lot more time underneath the pine tree, so they really like to go under it right now. We do have some cooling measures in that area that help them thermot regulate, so they've got some misters some airflow right there. So they do really like to hang out under the Bonzie tree this time of year.
Speaker 2: That's I love that cool, very cool, great insider information. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Guess must know exactly right. I have one more question before we wrap up it.
Speaker 3: So I've done research on this because I've had to talk about panis before, and I think I know the answer, but it's a question that does come up sometimes. I'd love to hear your insight on it, if you even because it was a theory when I read about it. We look at some animals and they blend into their environments so well, you know, you have the stripes of a tiger, you have the stripes of the zebra, the herd blends together. You have the spotted pattern of a leopard or a jaguar blending into the jungle and the depilated shadows, and the jungle you got grizzly bears at dark brown they can't blend into the four and then the Martian meadows. Really well, then you got the panda. I'm going to be a contrast across the board, strictly white here and strictly black there, and very obvious and easy to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's probably how people felt when they first saw tigers. Right, they're like orange and striped. How does that blend in? That doesn't make any sense for camouflage. So the way that the temperate forests are that giant pandas are native to They're broad leafed, big canopies, very humid, very foggy, and muggy. Believe it or not, they do blend in really well. There are times where we're looking for our pan as, we do observations all throughout the day that we're like, is that the panda? Is that the panda? So those big black and white patches actually are super helpful for broad leafed shade patterns. Okay, so there are big patches of shade where that stripe just blends right in and that white blends into maybe rocks in that area, those super light gray rocks of those mountainous areas, and they actually and did pretty well.
Speaker 4: I mean it makes to me, you know, like a scarlet mccauseference, like a rainbow colored pair that people aren't familiar with that you think it wouldn't blend in. But I've been in the Jungles and Costa Rica as an example, I could barely even see them in the tree at one point to blend in so well. Other animals see different spectrums of color. You know, those herbivores in the jungles with tigers, they don't really pick up that.
Speaker 1: Ore and so yeah, right, and that's really cool.
Speaker 4: Actually, I forgot I did have one question that it's kind of a nerdy personal question, you know, but for instance, in the past, you're probably the same thing. For instance, when I was helping manage Castaway, as an example, I'd have like a favorite part of the day and it was for me, it was before gas showed up and it was just me and the castaways and the sun was filtering through the trees, and it was like my favorite part of the day. So I'm kind of curious, do you have a moment in your day that's like, man, this is my selfishly best part of my day. Yeah, tell me, do you have one of those?
Speaker 5: It probably isn't the same every single day. Yeah, I would say that I love watching them eat, watching them process bamboo amazing super strong jost length, and the way they can just crack and split and they make it look so easy. They make it, they make it look effortless, and then just they're munching away. I love to watch them eat when it's just quiet, and they really like the quiet. So these guys live in forests, are pretty solitary, so they prefer quiet, and when it's just quiet, and they're just you know, they'll like franchise and they'll get into it, and they love to eat, and they make it look easy and they make it look fun. Right, I've never eating never looked so enjoyable.
Speaker 4: I mean, I kind of get it because in the beginning, like what's the hype about giant pandas? And then it finally wants to go see and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I was the same way. I worked with cats before and yeah, and I was like, well, I mean their bears, bears are cool. And then once they started working with them, I was like, oh my god, these guys are so cool.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: They just eat on their belly all the foods up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, always going to be a great time and you're getting California painted eate. Perfect time to come to the zoo and celebrate Rick. You're mentioning many ways or guess can come and visit. There's an extra another experience like a morning morning tour as well online Go online, Go online, everyone look at the camera right now, go online.
Speaker 1: The book that it's always a fun time. Oh that was great. Thank you, Jessica than.
Speaker 5: So much for coming out and getting an update on the panda.
Speaker 1: Yes now, and I want to find you looking at those bears bunch in away.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, thank you, that was really great.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing panda crunch in my ear now.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny you mentioned that the pandas make it look so easy, and I remember early on in my career here at the sin it goes on my area that I was taking care of over two red pandas, and the bamboo they would get was usually the stem was no bigger round than your thumb, and I remember once I was clearing that out, it wouldn't fit into the receptacle, so I was trying to break it and like you couldn't.
Speaker 2: Do it, I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: And then I come down and watch the giant pans with these ginormous pieces of bamboo away like it's a carrot, and.
Speaker 1: I was just like, how was that possible?
Speaker 4: Wild Pa, I'm just smiling just because their job is so awesome. And the last time we were talking giraffe and giraffes around, they were learning about giants and oh, the next one, we're gonna hint a little bit of a fun behavior with maybe a jaguar.
Speaker 3: Well, so there is an article that will be featured in the journal. When I saw that in the lineup of things, we have to find out more about this. So it's about certain behaviors that were found and understood. Then here at the San Diego Zoo, about the jaguar and another species.
Speaker 2: But I don't want to give away too much.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, and we're gonna hang out at the ze Stelle. Huh yeah, I'm stay here. Sounds good to me, Fred, all right, all right, guys, and while Marco Wentz.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rich Schwartz. Thanks for listening and for watching.
Speaker 3: For more information about the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park, go to sdzw a dot org. Amazing Wildlife is a production of iHeartRadio. Our supervising producers are Nikkia Swinton and Dylan Fagan, and our sound designers are Sierra Spreen and Matt Russell. For more shows from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple.
Speaker 2: Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 5: Lets Talk