Speaker 1: Looking for a good summer read.
Speaker 2: Just to ask California's first partner, it's one more thing.
Speaker 3: I'm strong Andy. There's a new book coming out in August. I just listened to a podcast with the author the other day. I'm going to try to read it. It's about I don't even know if I can explain what it's about. Complex. Well, the simple thing is what is life?
Speaker 1: Well, that's got to be quite a book.
Speaker 3: Which has never been answered. Nobody knows. There's no good did you know? I didn't even know this. There's no good definition for what life is as opposed to something that's not alive. Nobody has any idea why life started, how it started, what it is, how to define it anyway. This new book is supposed to get closer to that or trapped in the matrix, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Well that's true. Yeah, I remember having it to find in college, but people find it. There's unsatisfactor.
Speaker 3: There's not an agreed upon definition because every definition you can come up with has all kinds of flaws. Then you would say, okay, well then why isn't this life or why isn't that life? Or you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So well, says you Life's a bitch. I learned that long ago. There's your definition, like.
Speaker 3: You to say when I was in high school, life's a bitch, and then you die and life's a party. That's me My definition, life is a highway.
Speaker 4: I got a question for you, guys, Yes, do you consider working to be life? And the reason I'm asking this is I knew somebody that they were retiring. I asked, why are you retiring? He said, so I can finally do something, I can finally live.
Speaker 3: Well, they must have hated their job a lot. It's funny. We're in a special circumstance. This is fun to me. True, I do always have to remember that I have a job I really enjoy doing and get tremendous satisfaction out of. But uh, I also know a guy real recently. I talked to him last Friday who retired from a job he hated like six months ago, and he's more miserable now than when he worked his job.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's you know, work is a lot of your life. It's a lot of who you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's just no question that you cross that bridge and some people land on that new shore quite comfortably goes great. I have friends like that. I play golf with them and some it's a lot of trouble and they struggle.
Speaker 1: Just who knows.
Speaker 2: Anyway, back to the question of a beatree jack as Summer read Alert listener Alnonymous, good old friend of the Armstrong and Getty Show and of me personally sent this along.
Speaker 1: The first Partner's Summer.
Speaker 2: Book Club from the gov dot CA dot gov website. The first Partner's Summer Book Club California for All Kids, launched in partnership with the California State Library. The first partner, that's Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who is a far left neo Marxist activist loon her book.
Speaker 3: I'm offended by the mere idea of the governor's wife putting out a reading list that anybody would look at to come up with what they want to read or what they want their kids to read. That just the idea of it offends me. Really, if that's where you're going to get your reading information from a politician's spouse, all right, who's a far.
Speaker 1: Well known far left activist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we read with our children early and off, and it encourages young readers blah blah blah, which is absolutely true.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. But here's here's your book list. Let's start with preschoolers.
Speaker 2: Here's what the first partner recommends preschoolers read or have read to them.
Speaker 1: Nana the Great goes camping. Okay, in our garden.
Speaker 2: Millie has recently moved to a new city from a place more than an ocean away. She misses her garden used to grow food. Amara's far Mamara hosting a pot luck for friends on her farm. She needs help finding her pumpkins. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: All our neighbors.
Speaker 2: When a new family moves in, the whole neighborhood comes together to celebrate their diverse community and the tree in me. Through poetic text and exquisite illustrations of children reveling in nature, this book explores various ways we as human beings are strong, creative, and connected. That sounds just fine. Okay, that's your preschoolers's let's move on.
Speaker 3: Diverse is more than I wanted, but isn't not into the I'm angry territory yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna see certain patterns emerging here. K through two Just Like Me, a collection of poetry filled with engaging mini stories about girls of all kinds. Girls who feel happy said, don't love their.
Speaker 3: Bed and brunette or different kinds.
Speaker 2: Water Day a joyful picture book about a young girl in her community celebrating the arrival of something in water. I Am Enough, a gorgeous, lyrical ode to loving who you are, respecting others, being kind to one another. She Persisted in sports. In the third She Persistent book, Chelsea Clinton introduces the readers to women who have excelled in their sports.
Speaker 3: The pattern I'm supposed to pick up on here is are all girl oriented?
Speaker 1: Finding my dance?
Speaker 2: Follow along is Rhea Thundercloud shares her dance journey from blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Grades three through five.
Speaker 2: Plant Cookieat discover how plant seeds and patio containers, blah blah blah, food harvest, Just ask.
Speaker 1: Be different, be brave, be you.
Speaker 2: Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sottomoyor shares her blah blah blah. The Oldest Student, How Mary Walker learned to read Mexic Kid, The Trip of a Lifetime. Along the way, Pedro finally connects with zab willdo and learns what it And then Arelli is a Dreamer, A story about Aurelli Morales a DACA recipient, So you got to be a chick or an immigrant. Otherwise your story is bullshit. Nobody wants to hear it. All right, you can be a chick or an immigrant.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: So no. Uh, two boys like the Hardy Boys. One of the reasons boys like the Hardy Boys so much as those boys doing boys stuff. Popular book series from when we were young. Yeah, Mexicans can't be Irish, lad I've got ages eleven through fourteen. Here it's teens who are in the autism spectrum. Obviously I have no problem with that. Let's see, here's another immigrant who's swimming at a swimming pool. Apparently than the Blackbird Girls, Brown Girl Dreaming, Rebel Girls Celebrate Pride, twenty five Tales of Self Love, Community Inspiring Tales Chicks only from the LGB t q I ab CD Barbecue Community Women in Art. Let's skip to the grades nine through twelve. Brave Plucky Eliza deals with lung lingering trauma. Or You're a girl on Earthed and I Am not your perfect Mexican daughter rounds out the choices. I know we talk about it, but at some point it's got to reach national consensus that Okay, we went, We went plenty far and making sure girls are getting an education and have an opportunity to go to college, and blah blah blah. We kind of left boys out of it somewhere along the way, and we better turn our attention to that, because well, the reading list and all kinds there's all kinds of stats out there. I got two boys. All the girls are super into learning and straight a students. A lot of the boys are kind of meh about school, and I think that's because of the way it's structured. It's structured. It's very girl centered focused, designed for your personality and interests.
Speaker 2: I never talk about politicians' children and never will in any substantive way. I happen to know the nwsoms have a couple of sons, and I have a sick feeling in my stomach, which I hope is wrong. I'm sure they love their sons very much and want the best for them. But to grow with with a mom who is so openly disdainful of males that her reading list includes not a single boys adventure unless they're an immigrant. That just that it's my Angelou's When people try to show you or tell you who they are, believe them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, book about two guys building a fort and climbing a mountain and you know whatever, fishing or eavingly.
Speaker 2: Right, No, she's openly disdainful of that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Yeah, but don't get your reading lists for your kids from politicians anyway. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: Unless your dearest dream is that your child become a little Marxist, then this list is perfect for them.
Speaker 4: Join us next time for California Lieutenant Governor's list of helpful maps and Almanax. Don't travel until you've heard it. Well, I guess that's it.