Speaker 1: Hey there, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a snowy Monday, February twenty third, this episode of Amy and DJ. Yeah, we are snowed in, stuck indoors, and it looks treacherous outside.
Speaker 1: I heard one person say.
Speaker 2: It looks like a fairy tale getting out and around and certainly anywhere outside of this area is a nightmare. And Babe, when's the last time you've been outside?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I haven't been out yet today, just on the balconies and whatnot. But I want to go out. Look, this is Yes, you can look at it that way, and if you have to be out, it is awful. But man, it's a They haven't seen something like this in ten years in the city. It is gorgeous. It causes some problems if you have to be out, but man, let's take a minute and recognize it is absolutely gorgeous and probably something in life. Really, my entire life, I've rarely seen an event like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you been getting I've been getting texts from all my family in the South, even my daughter in Brooklyn. We're comparing notes as to who's got it worse. I know you were on the phone with the Bean this morning but have you been hearing from people? People are fascinated by this much snow. We've ethan seen tourists on local TV excited from nice south of France to be here and experience this.
Speaker 3: Not one family, friends don't care. I ain't heard from a single person checking out, not seriously, not one person has reached out and say, hey, how are you guys doing now? I'm not upset, don't get me wrong. Then they have some tornadic activity hewn in the south, I oftentimes don't reach out. So this is just our family done.
Speaker 2: Now. Well, look, this is something that people are either worried about their family or kind of jealous that you're experiencing this and we are not.
Speaker 1: It is really truly, as.
Speaker 2: The meteorologists are putting it, a once in a decade kind of a storm. Look, initially they were telling us who might get a couple of inches. Then they went to twelve or eighteen inches here in New York City. But already have you seen some of these totals, They're pretty impressive. Southam In, out of the Hamptons already has twenty four inches of snow. One of the areas on Long Islands at twenty seven and a half inches and counting. I mean, we're not even close to being done with this yet.
Speaker 3: All they sold this. This is going to wrap up in the next several hours, but it's going to linger for a long time at least. The problem is it's going to cause because of airlines getting back up and going. The airports or I mean the ones here in New York A essentially shut down right now. And I think what the weather is not necessarily going to the temper is not going to rise to a point where this is all going to go away, no anytime soon.
Speaker 2: It certainly is an in fact right now, let's see, it is thirty two degrees exactly, but it feels like eleven, and that is exactly the point of a blizzard.
Speaker 1: You've got crazy, crazy winds out there. I did.
Speaker 2: I've had to walk the dog twice now since this storm began. And last night it was kind of fun. This morning it was painful. We're talking thirty five, forty, even sixty mile.
Speaker 1: Per hour wind gusts.
Speaker 2: I saw Montalk, which is such a favorite place for so many people to go summer there had a win gus of more than eighty miles per hour. So yes, it's painful to be outside. It's dangerous to be outside, and that's why schools are closed. It's very rare to have schools closed in New York, and especially when they don't even have to have a learning day. They just get to have a free day on a day like this because they just it's just that bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kids have been out of school for a week and a half plus at this point because winter break was for the folks up here in the Northeast. So today was supposed to be their first day back from last week being off and they got an extra day. And look, I give them, you know, we wanted to give the Momdani administration credit, but I don't know if they just couldn't get it together quickly enough because the kids weren't in school. Usually we know something's coming and they can give the kids to heads up the day before, Hey we're going to move to online instruction. But they were out all week, so they couldn't scramble and get it together. So this is really rare in New York to get a snow day after the pandemic, like a true snow day. Usually they're online in their rooms and they hate it. They complain the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was actually listening.
Speaker 2: You had Sabine on speaker when you told her she didn't have to go to school. She was genuinely excited, because yes, that doesn't happen already. New York City schools are in school until basically the fourth of July as it is, so they don't want to extend the school You're only in extreme circumstances, and this certainly is one. So we had a travel band here in New York City, but in surrounding areas they've extended it beyond that noon travel band deadline that they had given it. Now it's four pm in most of New Jersey Westchester, and when I look outside, the only people icee outside are either people who are working clearing the streets or people walking their dogs. But on the news, the local news we've been watching, I've even seen people cross country skiing, like maybe the Olympics inspired them, But clearly that is the easiest way to get around.
Speaker 3: The city right now, So it's easy. It's in that regard. I mean folks, plenty of folks in this city got skis, they got snowboards, and they know every time they have to pack up they have to go drive a couple hours away and have to pay for a pass and you can walk outside throw your skis on. That's kind of cool. So I guess, yes, it is hell. It's going to cause people problems, pain, and oftentimes we even see I mean injuries and unfortunately deaths associated with it. Hopefully I haven't seen anything yet.
Speaker 2: No, the only headline I saw. Look, it looks as though folks are heating the warning. And truly, when you look outside, nobody wants to go out on this. Maybe for a little bit to say you did to get a few selfies or a few shots of yourself in the snow.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be honest, I did do that.
Speaker 2: But more than twenty trees have already fallen in the New York area. They said five of them have fallen on vehicles and buildings. But so far there aren't any reports of injuries, thank goodness. But you know it's bad in New York City when a they close the schools and b when you have the mayor asking New Yorkers not to order delivery or take out. This is exactly and precisely the kind of whether people don't want to go out in Oh, yes, they want to order in door. Dash suspended all services last night, So you know it's serious when people can't get things delivered to their door.
Speaker 3: You can't you look outside. If you look outside and think you're gonna get food delivered by a guy riding a bike, you're out of your mind. So and really some of the they've banned. You're not supposed to have e bikes, bicycles, motorcycles, scooters. They've banned all that traffic. So it's not supposed to be out there. I assume robe you didn't see a single person with any mode of transportation when you were outside. But but no, of course you're not. We stocked up here. We got stuff. Anybody needs something swing by. We got food, we prepared. We went and got sardines and bottled water. You know, we're those crazy people because we're from the South. We prepare our whole livees right, something's going down. So no, it's it is a good day to take a beat. And I don't know, I've I've had a rough morning, but for whatever reason, I've taken in and appreciated and finding a positive in the snowstorm for some reason.
Speaker 2: No, it it is simply gorgeous it looks like something out of a movie. It looks like it's and it's just it's unending. It's been going on since it's started snowing at noon yesterday, guys, noon on Sunday, and it was beautiful and I was taking pictures, and then by the evening the winds kicked up, and now all day long it has just been brutal. And so we've had flight cancelations as you might imagine, up and down the Eastern Seaboard. You don't even have to live in New England or along the East Coast to be affected by this storm.
Speaker 1: This is crazy.
Speaker 2: Five thousand plus flights and counting have already been canceled today along the Eastern Seaboard. And you gave the percentages in the morning run, and I went to go check they're the same. Eighty nine percent of flights at JFK canceled, ninety eight percent of flights at LaGuardia canceled, ninety two percent. Of flights in Newark canceled, ninety two percent in Boston canceled, eighty two percent in Philly canceled.
Speaker 1: Bottom line, you aren't getting out of here, and.
Speaker 2: A lot of tourists are kind of leaning into the concept of, Hey, I'm stuck here, I might as well try and take in this weather that doesn't happen very often. As long as people are careful, you can find a way to safely enjoy it.
Speaker 1: We've seen some folks starting to sled.
Speaker 2: The winds are starting to die down, but we've got blizzard warnings at least according to my phone until six pm tonight.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, that's been the dynamic all night and all day really quite literally up into this moment. This is the first time I've looked out the windows since last night and the snow is not literally going sideways. And I'm just not talking about I mean, it's going out an angle. You could tell wind is blowing now. But until this moment, I have looked outside and the wind has been going horizontal to the ground. That is, you know, I posted a video about it, so I'm not just making this up. So the wind has been the part that's It's been wild to watch, but it's maybe calming down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, And even for hardy New Yorkers.
Speaker 2: Look, we are used to dealing with wicked weather that pops up and sometimes unexpectedly, And look, I think a lot of us sometimes get jaded because we hear a big storm's coming and then only a couple inches fall. I was shocked yesterday at the grocery store. I went to go pick up a few extra things. The store shelves were stocked, and I didn't know if that was a credit I should give to Christiti's, the local supermarket, or if people were not believing that it was going to be that bad. And that could be a little bit of both. But unfortunately they were hit with a wild surprise when they couldn't order toor dash to their homes last night.
Speaker 3: But y, we only raid grocery stores during pandemics.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: This is a storm would be our and you know what, they've been telling us, it's going to be a day or two and we should be okay. But I mean they're holding off and waiting to decide if schools are open tomorrow. Businesses certainly want to be open. I think we're kind of preparing to go back to business as usual for the most part. Tomorrow might be a little bit of a delay. But I mean New York, we okay, hit us, when can we get back to business?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, you just teed me right up.
Speaker 2: So when we come back, we're going to talk about how long before flights get back to normal New York City and all Boston and Philadelphia, all these major cities that impact so much of the world. When are we all going to be able to dig out and dare I even say melt all of this snow. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ, where we are snowed in and hunkered down as so many forty million people trying to get my head around under blizzard warnings over the past twenty four hours. That is remarkable, the size of the storm, how slow this storm is moving, and how powerful it is churning powerfully it's churning. This is one for the record books. People will be talking about this storm for years to come. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a while. I don't know what the totals will be. I guess our record four blizzards and snowfall or around twenty seven, twenty six, twenty five to twenty four inches and things like that. And this stuff keeps coming. We could start knocking on that door in Central Park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are certainly flirting with record setting numbers and we're starting we can look up at the local and just see some of the blizzard totals. They have a scroll, but we're looking at some of these places out on Long Island already at twenty eight point two inches and counting. And look, if we keep getting snow for the next five six hours, maybe not the two to three inches an hour rate that we've been seeing, you are seeing historic snowfall here. And look it's it's stopped blowing horizontally bay, but it's still diagonal and it's still coming down hard. These are big, fat, fluffy flakes that are going to create lots of inches. So this is going to be fascinating to see just how much we end up getting with snow totals. But the problem is the weather. Look, we have had a frigid winter, so many of you know this already. But tomorrow we don't get a buffreezing I believe our high between twenty eight and thirty whatever you look at, whatever weather service you're looking at, but it's going to start out at fifteen degrees. It is going to be treacherous getting out and about even tomorrow. I imagine it's going to be tough for them to make that call on schools. But if you're trying to get out of here or trying to get into or out of New York City, all ready for tomorrow, already checked out the major airports, Already like forty three percent of flights are canceled at most of the airports. That's about the average forty five forty three percent. So it's going to look like Wednesday perhaps before people are going to be able to start getting out of here and traveling through here. However, did you hear we're supposed to get another little bout of snow on Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it won't be anything like this, So, I mean, I don't know. We Yeah, we've been through plenty here in New York. It seemed like these weather events have become more extreme. It seems like they've become more frequent. So yeah, we talk about global warming when it comes to I guess heat and it's warmer than it needs to be. But they say these things have an impact on weather year round. I am amazed. It seems like we have had. I mean, we just came out of that deep historic freeze. We never had that many straight days in New York of below freezing temperatures. So I don't know what's going on. Maybe we're just having a rough season, rough winter, but this is it's a little scary how extreme things are getting with weather. Weather is making me nervous these.
Speaker 2: Days, agreed. Yes, I don't recall too many days. And we've lived in Manhattan, both of us for more than two decades, so we have perspective. We've lived through some major storms. I don't ever remember it being this cold for this long, where you have windshels of negative fourteen, where you are screaming to get into uber and then you couple that now with this historic snowfall, and it certainly looks like it's going to be Yes, I'm bracing for what March is even going to look like at this point.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of a fair fear to have at this point.
Speaker 2: But we just guess we wanted to get on to let TJ's family know proof of life. We're okay, we're fine, aren't curious, and we're taking videos. Maybe you can send them some and they'll feel like they're a part of it.
Speaker 3: Oh what, they haven't even asked. They don't know where we are in the world. Anyway. We just got back from all over the place, so they don't even think we're in New York. Problem.
Speaker 2: Well, we certainly hope wherever you are that you are staying warm and dry, and.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you don't have any travel.
Speaker 2: Plans to the East Coast at least over.
Speaker 1: The next couple of days.
Speaker 2: And if you do, well, I hope you can laugh and realize that this is the one thing.
Speaker 1: There are a few things in this world we cannot change, and among them is the weather. But thank you as always for listening to us. I'm made Robach alongside TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes.
Speaker 1: We'll talk to you soon.