Speaker 1: Look, man. Where? Oh, I see.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Bowen, look over there. Wow. Is that culture? Yes. Oh, my goodness. Wow. Las Culturistas. Ding dong. Las Culturistas calling. And it's our first guest in the space. Amazing. And the first thing he did was say, sort of encounter what was on the table and say, what's that? And we said, well, I've never tried that. I'm telling you, we're giving it away for free. Because now they have one of the world's beloved icons drinking it here.
Speaker 3: And having mixed things to say.
Speaker 1: Which is what they want. And we can be transparent about that because they have not offered us some sort of global brand deal. So we can sit here and actually say how we feel about, and what's the one that you have? Arctic Vibe.
Speaker 3: And to the Celsius folks, y'all know it tastes crazy.
Speaker 1: That's part of the appeal, isn't it? Out there, you fucking freaks. You want us out here sipping your weird juice? One of our crew called it vape juice. Yeah. Oh, no, I think our guest called it vape juice. Oh, and then it was confirmed by the crew. Our vaping crew. I don't want to call anyone out of their name. Well, we're about to. I... How dare our guest. How dare our guest.
Speaker 2: He..
Speaker 1: Dropped this video on the world. So here's the thing. You know Nicole Kidman. I'm talking to the guests at home. From Las Culturistas. Not the guests in the chair. I'm talking to the guests to this episode, a.k.a. the readers, the people that listen to this podcast. You guys know Nicole Kidman. You remember her from this podcast where she... What happened to her when Tweety Bird came up?
Speaker 3: I think she was just excited to see Tweety Bird.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then I think she is an actor in the sense that she... went into a reverie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: An embodied Tweety. And that girl, that girl, she's the best.
Speaker 1: This guy, this guy, he's the best. So one of the things that I share, um, that we all share with our guests is a friend, collaborator, Brett Leland McLaughlin. And so he does, I don't want to put him on too much blast, but I have heard a large portion of this project and, You know what I'm saying? He shouldn't have done that. I'm not saying that he did too much, but I am saying he did just enough for me to know that this Troy era is the Troy era. I am very, very, very excited that you finally arrived here in this moment because I do believe... People are going to say a lot of big things because people are going to be excited, but I will just be... one of the voices saying how exciting it is to see our guest who has always done such incredible work, like take it in even further and even bolder a direction. And I am just incredibly excited for what, what is on the horizon. It gave me ray of light, which I told him, which is especially in this era where Madonna is so top of mind to say something that like this, you can't do it lightly.
Speaker 3: That just hit me like a wave, like Tokyo.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: And I think our guest is a really special person to me. And I'm in a reverie. I'm looking at Tweety Bird and I'm Nicole Kinman over here. Let's just bring him in. Everyone, please welcome Troy Baby.
Speaker 1: Troy Savana!
Speaker 2: Can I talk?
Speaker 1: Yes. You can talk. You're free to speak.
Speaker 2: Guys, what's up?
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: And you can kick that however many times you want.
Speaker 2: I'm going to. We're really... it's pokey i love the new studio by the way.
Speaker 1: Thank you do you you look perfect in.
Speaker 2: It really thank you this is actually not my preferred side.
Speaker 1: Do you have do you have one of those.
Speaker 2: I do now yeah it's gotten worse over time.
Speaker 3: What made you why why do you say you do now what what brought this.
Speaker 2: On age i think i have i have volume loss under my left eye age gave you a side Age gave me a side.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You have what under your left eye?
Speaker 2: Volume loss.
Speaker 1: Volume loss.
Speaker 3: Okay, but these are terms that we did not know.
Speaker 2: No, my brain is rotten.
Speaker 1: Tell us.
Speaker 2: Just, I mean, I feel like I have the most minor thought about volume loss under my left eye. And then I'll open Instagram and there's like a reel about volume loss under the left eye and how to fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredibly powerful, whatever's happening with the technology that allows, it allows your phone to know what you've thought. This happens.
Speaker 2: And I haven't done anything about it yet, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: What's there to do?
Speaker 2: There's a few options. Okay. Filler, which nobody recommends.
Speaker 1: Right, no.
Speaker 2: It's apparently very dangerous to do under your eye. I should say I'm not like a medical expert, so don't take my advice no matter what.
Speaker 1: You are. It would be incredible if you revealed that you were. Yeah, you are.
Speaker 4: Yes, you are.
Speaker 1: I don't like that self-talk.
Speaker 2: You're a Dr. Troy.
Speaker 1: Don't let anyone tell you you're not a medical expert.
Speaker 2: No, so I think that I had a consultation.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And they told me about the filler and then they were like, but don't do that. And then they also told me that you can do like... plasma whatever and I'm like is that real like am I going to notice a difference and they were like maybe and I'm like no what's like the real deal like how do you actually do it and it's unfortunately fat transfer yeah fat.
Speaker 3: Transfer from the eye or to the eye to the eye from wherever they can find.
Speaker 1: It they take it from your ass and put it under your eye ass.
Speaker 2: Fat under the eye wherever the.
Speaker 3: Fat is sometimes some of us don't have fat.
Speaker 2: There Someone's going to be into that. Like, you like this fat ass?
Speaker 1: You like my beautiful eyes? I took stuff from my ass to make them even more beautiful. Jesus. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they take fat, they purify it or something, and then they put it under your eye. And then it's... Apparently, it's for life. And that's what also scares me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is that they... Only, like, a certain percentage of it survives. So they overfill with the fat. And then some of it... dies in there and what survives is supposed to look perfect and smooth and like whatever. And it just sounds risky to me.
Speaker 1: It sounds risky to me. Any sort of transfer of fat from part of your body to it.
Speaker 2: But then the third option is of course, self-acceptance.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah i thought you were gonna say bag of peas when you first said p i thought bag of peas i thought you meant just like oh put a bag of peas under there like that's what they tell you to do like you know just like put a bag of ice or like you know whatever just like sort of just sleep etc yeah.
Speaker 2: Like anything that's not like upper bluff no just like like just do the thing just do the actual thing that's going to work like i don't want to i don't want to do some weird like A skin cream is not going to give me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But it seems like you don't know what the thing, the trouble with this is we don't know what the thing is.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: When you say like, just do the thing.
Speaker 3: Oh, right.
Speaker 1: But we don't know what the thing is.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's fat transfer, but I just like, I just, I can't be bothered.
Speaker 1: But then you got to do that.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Then you get fat transfer under your eyes, which just seems like. Such an insane thing to do.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing is I do think we as a society could benefit from stepping back a little bit and being like, what is this? Right. And like, you know what I mean? And sometimes it's like, oh, we're talking about like something like salmon sperm. You know what I mean? Like, which, which again, I heard is like salmon sperm. That's, that's pretty whatever. Right. People like it. And what is it? Is it an injection?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: See, that's something that I would be a skeptic about. But I'm sure it's real.
Speaker 1: Because it's the cum of fish.
Speaker 2: Right, how can that be?
Speaker 1: And we stepped back and it was the cum of fish that we were talking about.
Speaker 2: The whole time. Totally, when you zoom out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the cum of humans we put all over the fucking place.
Speaker 1: Speak for yourself. So who cares? Speak for yourself, says Troy. Where do you guys put it? You guys. Meaning Australians.
Speaker 2: Yes, it goes everywhere.
Speaker 1: It goes everywhere. I mean, I don't know. We put it on the face. If it helps. I mean, that's the thing. I will try it if it helps. But the thing is..
Speaker 2: It's the only time you get cum on your face is if there's a cosmetic benefit.
Speaker 1: I wasn't ever the biggest fan anyway. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are your thoughts on cum? Sometimes it's cool.
Speaker 1: Because you came to Lost Gulch. I did. And here we are with our cum questions. I..
Speaker 2: You know... Like, I'm kind of whatever about it.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 2: I'm not, like, obsessed.
Speaker 1: I've never been like, that was unbelievable. Come.
Speaker 2: I've had that thought.
Speaker 1: No, you know what?
Speaker 2: If the guy is, like, unbelievably hot, and I'm, like, falling in love with him, by all means, whatever you want.
Speaker 3: True or false, sometimes guys do, like, perform it too much.
Speaker 1: What, the act of coming?
Speaker 2: Have you ever faked an orgasm?
Speaker 1: I have. I have.
Speaker 2: Tell us about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so. Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's different for dick people.
Speaker 2: I know, that's the thing, yeah.
Speaker 1: So this happened about five years ago.
Speaker 2: Do I know him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Whoa. It happened in L.A., and I can't come swinging through here with a no with a no um but anyway like I I was not bored topping but it was kind of just like it wasn't really.
Speaker 3: Happening you can fake it if you're topping yes and.
Speaker 1: So that's why that's how I was able to do so is because I was like oh wasn't that.
Speaker 2: Over but then after doesn't he like realize well he.
Speaker 1: Did ask me did you come and I was like yeah oh so I said yeah like an older brother in a sitcom yeah of course I did anyways.
Speaker 2: He's like why are you talking like that feels like you didn't come yeah.
Speaker 1: I commend you for lying. I know. Sometimes lying is cool. Sometimes lying is super cool. It's what I need to do for survival in that moment. Have you? I have.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very similar situation. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You just hedged. But it wasn't our first time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, this is the perfect crime. There's no way that he's going to know.
Speaker 1: This is the perfect crime. Because..
Speaker 2: You know, it's like already happened. Yeah. So it's just not happening again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I was like, I did a gorgeous performance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very convincing, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't think you ever knew.
Speaker 1: You're a really good actor. You are a great actor. And that's one of the things I want to talk to you about at some point when we move off this topic, which I'm still interested in exploring. Hold on. And this is my exploration. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Who's to say that we haven't had people fake it with us?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Mm-hmm. I've had people fake.
Speaker 3: I'm sure statistically speaking, I don't know who, but I'm sure someone's faked it with me. And I'm like, yeah, that's just how the numbers go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, no. Is that so sad?
Speaker 2: No, I just actually hadn't considered it for myself. I'm like, I've done it for someone else, but of course no one's ever done that for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you're always the exception.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: You may be.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: I want to know about your experience with poppers now.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Because you felt the rush and made us all feel the rush.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: The thing about poppers over time is they are a drug that you inhale and they go right to your brain and sort of, I would say, potentially wreck that human organ that we need. So where are you at with it now? And is fantasy reality?
Speaker 2: Fantasy is definitely reality. I'm not like crazy obsessed, like as in it's not that frequent. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I would say the issue is now it's hard for me to be like, in the moment with someone i'm like do you like poppers like it just it feels like kind of a joke almost or something like that like if i if i whip out a bottle.
Speaker 1: Of rush it's like you're mickey mouse totally yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally doing like whatever mickey mouse does you know um so yeah.
Speaker 1: Mickey mouse tends to have like a great day yes you know what i mean so like you being the mickey mouse of poppers actually is perfect.
Speaker 2: Right yeah so it's just like i feel like it was maybe cooler before whereas now it's like a little bit like wearing a t-shirt or something.
Speaker 1: We know you feel the rush.
Speaker 3: You did not, you're not responsible for the ways that we all realize that like, this is maybe like destroying our brains in a way that like you wish, you wish someone would do that for phones.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like, can you tackle that? Can you tackle, can you do a song about phones?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Social media addiction.
Speaker 2: I wrote a song about phones once. Um, I think I've written two songs about phones.
Speaker 1: Just like, what's the take?
Speaker 2: Hate them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm, I'm really, I do think that all of our brains are like turning to mush.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the credit card theory that there's a credit card in all of our brains? Whoa. That's because of microplastics though. That's not because of social media addiction. Right. Yeah. But there's so many things to be afraid of.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But some people have good credit.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Was that you feeling the rush? Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did do poppers again for the first time in like, I want to say over a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. the other week.
Speaker 2: And I was like, recreationally or sexually?
Speaker 1: Recreationally.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I was, I was recreational. Sometimes the line is blurred. Sexually.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I mean, it does really, you are addicted.
Speaker 1: To, I got addicted to them.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's where you're coming from with this.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: I forgot this about you. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And now I remembered. Yes, you and another person that I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I only know two people and she's a girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rachel Tennant. Yeah. It's possible.
Speaker 2: It's possible.
Speaker 3: It's like when Gaga says, like, people don't realize that you can get addicted to marijuana.
Speaker 1: Right. It's that kind of thing. You can get addicted to anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: You can get addicted to anything that I guess has a stimuli that you would then need again. Mm-hmm. my strength addiction.
Speaker 2: So Matt, do you, you don't like touch them anymore?
Speaker 1: No, you know what it was? It was kind of just like, I, they can be around. It's just that like, it has to, well, they can't really be around. The guest star has to bring them over. If the guest star brings them over, then, then it's good and fine. But it's just like, I spent a long time being that person that would like wake up in the morning and use them to jack off.
Speaker 2: Oh, to jack off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. I thought you were just saying like with a coffee. Oh, no, no, no. Not to like do my day. Yeah, yeah. Well, I gotta go get coffee.
Speaker 2: Shh.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like, no, it wasn't like that. But I think it's, there was like a cultural moment, like, and this predated the, the rush moment, but it was like, there was a time like in our mid twenties where we were just ripping it in bars and clubs, like, like even just watching RuPaul's Drag Race.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we would just do it very recreationally. And I, and I just came up with a term for, um, you know, wake and bake.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: You were yawning yank. Yon and Yank.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yon and Yank.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's really, really good.
Speaker 2: Because it's not just specific to poppers. That's just like a thing that people do.
Speaker 1: You don't need poppers to do that.
Speaker 2: Yon and Yank.
Speaker 1: Wow. I love a Yon and Yank.
Speaker 2: I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning because I'm jet lagged.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Time shifter.
Speaker 2: I considered it.
Speaker 1: Because it was too early for you.
Speaker 3: It was too early. I don't want to get too personal.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 1: Sorry. Time shifter.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But it doesn't work for you.
Speaker 2: Well, I just sort of do it in my head because I used it. It's quite expensive, that app.
Speaker 1: But I think it's worth it. Really?
Speaker 3: You don't lose the day. I will pay any price to avoid jet lag.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Not any price, but reasonably. Do you know about this app?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I attempted to use the Time Shifter app, and it didn't work for me as well. I think what I try to do is just try to go to sleep at night. Right.
Speaker 2: And you don't nap during the day.
Speaker 1: No, not really. I'm not like a napper. It's not as easy as that. Yeah, of course you're going to try to go to sleep.
Speaker 2: And you follow the rules, like no caffeine at this time.
Speaker 3: Yes, I am supposed to be done with caffeine. Oh, get this away from me. I'm supposed to be done with caffeine.
Speaker 1: Oh, because you're going to Berlin. I'm going to Berlin tomorrow. Have you been to Berlin? Yeah, clearly. Hello.
Speaker 2: We filmed the Rush video there.
Speaker 1: Oh, duh, yeah. Me asking questions. Wait, wasn't Bloom there too?
Speaker 2: No, Bloom was in New York.
Speaker 3: Where was that warehouse? I love that warehouse.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: No, not Bloom. Sorry, sorry. My, my, my. My, my, my was in L.A.
Speaker 3: It looked like Europe to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was like a really sort of random like power plant.
Speaker 3: And it was rainy.
Speaker 2: It was raining. I don't remember if that was real or fake rain. I think it was maybe fake rain.
Speaker 1: I love that video. I love my, my, my. And I loved blonde, that you were blonde though, right? Blonde, dark, but yet dark Troy.
Speaker 2: Yes. The skinniest person you've ever seen in your life. Like it was a, it was a crazy vibe I had at the time. I'll see pictures of myself and be like, whoa, I looked crazy kind of.
Speaker 1: Really? Well, like, okay. So what's like the hair, is there a hair logic to you? Like I was blonde then because of this, or I have dark hair now because of that.
Speaker 2: Not really. I think the only, I mean like the closest thing to it is, um, I think like last album, even I felt remnants of feeling like I needed to step into a role or something like that. And I knew that this time I didn't want to do that. So this feels like, I'm wearing a very cool hat today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you certainly are.
Speaker 2: No noise for the hat so far.
Speaker 1: No, no, no. I love that. I thought it was going to be worked into the intro. The noise sort of happened in the other room. Right, right. Where we viewed the video and everything. And I immediately wanted to compliment you on what I think is you finding your colors.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Because I recently found out I was in autumn, says Melissa.
Speaker 2: Did you actually do the thing?
Speaker 1: We didn't need, she used her eye. But we need to do it. But you wearing things that would suggest you've truly found your color.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think you're a summer. Yeah. That would rock for... That would rock.
Speaker 2: I think you're so right. It's not based on personality.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: It's purely aesthetics.
Speaker 1: Purely your color rating. Right. You know what I mean? But would you want to be anything other than a summer, though?
Speaker 2: No, that's why I was so flattered for a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought you were saying that about me.
Speaker 1: If someone points to you and says you're a summer.
Speaker 2: It's huge. Love that.
Speaker 3: I think you wrote the best song about... Gay travel.
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 1: What's the time where you are? Oh, yeah. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah. Yeah, I really like that song. I heard it the other day. The other day I was driving home from a shoot and I had such a sweet driver who decided that he thought that I would want to listen to my own music the whole way home. And it was on like... So every time a song would end, I would like clench my bum.
Speaker 1: Oh, no.
Speaker 2: So nervous about what is going to play because he was, I mean, Spotify or whatever was playing that music was like pulling out some absolute wild cards, including like a song from the Trolls soundtrack at one point that I like forgot that I did.
Speaker 1: Fright Fest.
Speaker 2: And so, but that song came on and I was like, this one's actually, I like this song.
Speaker 3: Now, and I have to tell you what is so aspirational about that song is every gig I once... some, some guy leaving him a voice note. That's like joy, baby. baby who did that.
Speaker 2: So i put on my instagram i was like send me voice notes of you saying um last night was fucking crazy in like your language accent whatever yes and that guy like failed the assignment but just sent me a voice note anyway like just like a general like what's up one and he started it with joy baby like he was like talking and um dreamy it's actually iconic he basically so i used it in that song you used it in supernatural well so i use it first and once a time where you are and we got like a because everything obviously has to go through the label so it's like you do like a license or whatever for the for using his recording then it came time to use it again because i was like i'm gonna make this like my tag and he was like Yes, I would love that. $ 50 million. Not actually, but he was like, this is my opportunity to cash in. This is what I've said is worth.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And we did pay him. We paid him for it.
Speaker 1: $ 50 million?
Speaker 2: Not $ 50 million, but not far off.
Speaker 1: But he'll be fine for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Totally, yeah.
Speaker 3: And his children and his children's children.
Speaker 1: And his children's children.
Speaker 2: And then I didn't use it on the new album. So I've got this very expensive Sample.
Speaker 1: Single use.
Speaker 2: I tried to recreate it. Like I tried to do it because if you just re-record it, then it's my recording, not his anymore.
Speaker 1: Your master's.
Speaker 2: My master, exactly. So I tried to do it. And so I'm like in the mic like, Troy baby. And it just like..
Speaker 1: That sounded good.
Speaker 2: It didn't have the same vibe. I could feel something was off.
Speaker 3: Would it be legally sound for you to do another open call for people to send in their version of Troy baby?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And we would just... like tighten up the legal in the front half of that. You know what I mean? Like on the front end.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, this is where, this is where you can either it's, it's make or break for your lawyers.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Like if they, if they can make this work, they're staying. You know what? I just decided you don't even have to ask me. We don't have to do any legal stuff. I'm going to give it to you right now. There you go. Quiet, quiet, quiet on set.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, you didn't have the consonants.
Speaker 1: It was a little too much. I'm going to go. Quiet on set.
Speaker 3: Troy, baby.
Speaker 2: It's French?
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because maybe there was a little too much sauce on the... Oh, you're giving me notes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is that okay?
Speaker 1: We're trying to help each other here book Troy.
Speaker 3: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL>.
Speaker 1: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL>.
Speaker 3: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL>.
Speaker 2: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL>.
Speaker 1: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL>.
Speaker 2: <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> <HAL> Tro. It doesn't sound like, it sounds like you have to really try like to say it. You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Coming pretty naturally to me.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Go for it. Be my guest.
Speaker 1: Try to say it right now. Oh my God. Tro. I love the new song. I think it sounds correctamundo. I think it sounds correctamundo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's really chic.
Speaker 1: Correctamundo for sure.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like it a lot.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was I going to ask you? Oh, um, Time shifter. Just try it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Try it, Tro.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a go.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be... Is it about to be international moments?
Speaker 2: No, because I moved to New York yesterday.
Speaker 1: Fully moved?
Speaker 2: I mean, I brought like three suitcases. I'm here for..
Speaker 1: You're here.
Speaker 2: I'm here till November.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you said..
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm traveling because of like album stuff, but I'm like basing myself here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you're doing the thing that every gay guy does, which is..
Speaker 2: Come to the phone.
Speaker 1: I live here now. Oh, right, right. And then you're like, great, let's hang out. I'm in L.A. I'm in L.A. until 2027.
Speaker 2: Totally. I know that I'm like, I'm not really moving. I mean, like, I'm giving it a go. That's what I'm trying.
Speaker 1: Really, really try, Tro.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because... All right, Bo. Well, we were saying with Terry, is your husband in any other city? We don't know. But likelihoods go up of husbands being..
Speaker 2: I have theories.
Speaker 1: In the city when we're talking about New York.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Share your theories.
Speaker 2: If I had to guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think London. I think he's in London.
Speaker 1: You think your husband's in London?
Speaker 2: I think so. The British sensibility, sense of humor. I just like when I'm there, I feel very comfortable. Yeah. And at home, I like the vibes. Next, Melbourne.
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My family's there.
Speaker 1: Home is home.
Speaker 2: It would be very convenient.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then New York. And then a million other cities. And then LA.
Speaker 1: But in terms of American cities, you think New York is offering the most husband potential.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And this is not me saying like personality wise or anything like that. I just, I'm just like thinking logistically, like practically, I think it would be hard. I would love, like, I feel no attachment to living in either LA or New York. Like it sounds very nice to me to like live in Seattle or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, It's more just like, if I'm being real with myself, like, is that going to work?
Speaker 1: LA was practical because it was kind of the closest to Australia.
Speaker 2: I just sort of thought that I had to live there. That's what was so mind blowing. I came to New York like a couple of months ago. I was supposed to be here for 10 days. And then my friends who have a place here, they, they were away and they were like, just go stay for as long as you want. And so I stayed here for like five weeks and I was so productive. I worked. Yeah. And I was like, oh, I didn't really realize that this was like an option. I thought that I had to live in LA and I don't think I do.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I mean, I like LA, but.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, I'm moving there in January.
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: Well, just to be with my bi-coastal girl.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: He has now sort of, for the first time, started to wrap his head around the idea of this very thing, which is, well, I thought I had to live in a certain place.
Speaker 3: And I had to live in New York for the past years.
Speaker 2: Oh, you actually did, though.
Speaker 1: Literally.
Speaker 3: And now I'm like, oh, wait, I don't have to be here in the fucking dead of winter.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: But are you on the husband hunt?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like you are a more romantic person now. then you may be led on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm like a very sensitive person. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like you give kisses to the air just there. It showed how romantic you were.
Speaker 2: Very sweet like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely, yeah, of course. I don't know. I'm also 31.
Speaker 1: Correctamundo. Correctamundo.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, it's a funny story. I'm nervous that he's going to listen to this. If he does, it's totally fine because I'm saying this with love. I went on a few dates and had a sort of like very strong emotional connection, I would say, with a guy who works in finance. And I was like, this is amazing. He has no idea what's going on. And I love that about him. But there's a point. And it was after Coachella. And he was like, did you see that Madonna came out with Sabrina Carpenter? He was like, I thought that Madonna was dead.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: There's a point.
Speaker 1: That's the point.
Speaker 2: That's a point, right?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you can't, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: Like, I can't.
Speaker 1: I thought Madonna was dead. You can't tell someone, you can't tell someone, oh, actually Madonna is alive and then continue a relationship.
Speaker 2: He was like, I thought she was like an old, old, old artist. Right. Like, I guess because the name sort of gives that, right?
Speaker 1: We need to get him to the dance-a-teria first of all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He needs to be educated ASAP about just how alive she is.
Speaker 2: But I just want to say, just in case he does watch it, that guy's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course he is. He's the best. He actually sounds like an incredible person, and I really do think there is another world where it happens. It's just that for the people in this room... You just can't date someone who's like, I didn't know Madonna was alive.
Speaker 2: At least not right now. Maybe when I slow down with like music and stuff like that, and I don't need someone to like bounce off of in the way that I do right now. I think the person has to know that Madonna's alive.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the butt goes through a lot. When the butt speaks, we listen. We sure do.
Speaker 3: Preparation H is the butt care expert and the number one doctor recommended brand helping people get relief from hemorrhoids with confidence.
Speaker 1: Because let's be honest, you know that moment when you're trying to focus on literally anything else in your butt is like, hi, excuse me? Yeah, that moment. The good news?
Speaker 3: Preparation H offers relief in multiple forms to fit your needs.
Speaker 1: Medicated wipes formulated with witch hazel, aloe, and vitamin E to help keep things calm, cool, and collected. Even in the case of dreaded hemorrhoids.
Speaker 3: Multi-symptom relief cream for itching, burning.
Speaker 1: And swelling. And for those more dramatic moments, rapid relief spray with maximum strength lidocaine starts to numb pain on contact.
Speaker 3: Together, it's a simple system. Wipe, cream, spray. Helping make life feel manageable again.
Speaker 1: Preparation H treats the issue rather than just masking it. No shame here, only solutions.
Speaker 3: So if your butt has been begging for a little kindness, wipe and treat for better relief with Preparation H.
Speaker 1: Troy.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Tro. Correctamundo. Correctamundo.
Speaker 3: Tro, would you recommend other people go into the fragrance business?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Because Greta and I want to start a new fragrance.
Speaker 1: Do you? Do you?
Speaker 3: We want to start a fragrance line called Faja.
Speaker 1: Faja? From Austin Powers Goldmember. Yeah. What would it smell like? Well, I think it would be..
Speaker 2: It sounds expensive.
Speaker 1: Faja.
Speaker 3: Faja doesn't... But it's goofy. Okay.
Speaker 1: But it's chic. It's like a comedian fragrance. It's a comedian fragrance. Got it. You know what I mean? I want to release one which is just... It's a blue bottle and it's just the shape of my body and I'm just like this. And it's called Bold.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous. I love that. I wouldn't lead with the comedian fragrance thing that, that like it was chic in my head.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like it smells good.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, like sweaty standup. You know what I mean? Came to my mind.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: Like nervous sweat.
Speaker 1: Nervous sweat standup.
Speaker 3: But wait, you've, you've told us a million times, but how did you come up with, with what was the, what's the name origin of Sulane?
Speaker 2: It's okay. So the name it's Yiddish. And even I get, I'm like, I, I get, nervous to say it for other people because i'm like i know how to say it but i just i don't want to make.
Speaker 3: People don't don't think about other people.
Speaker 2: I know right so so it's yiddish it's and it means to long years it's like a.
Speaker 1: Toast to long years oh i love that.
Speaker 2: When someone sneezes yes yeah when someone sneezes you say which just means like bless you yeah i think and that means to health and so then there's too long years and um And I did it with my brother and it was all about like family and heritage. And we were like, you know what? Till like many, many years. This is the one who now has two kids. I was like to many years of like this vibe.
Speaker 1: You are an artist. Wow.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You are.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Even just you talking about that. I have. Okay. So this is, this is what I wanted to reveal because I don't think there's lore that people don't know. So I have been in the recording studio with Troy.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to bring it up.
Speaker 1: I was finishing my album. Have you heard of Christmas? The week. that the Rush music video was coming out. So we were all on what I referred to at the time and sometimes still do as The Compound at Leland's. And you were there and it was so exciting because it was coming out and we were literally putting my album together and Troy's voice is all over my album.
Speaker 2: It is. First of all, I might get in trouble because I was signed at the time. Fuck him. I... There's this weird like lull before something comes out where like the rush video was done. Everything is done. And so I'm like kind of free for a week, you know? And cause I'm not even really doing press yet. Cause it's not out yet. You know what I mean? And so I was just chilling at the compound all the time. And you guys are making this gorgeous Christmas album. And I, if I'm at Leland's house and he's working, I like almost 100% of the time will insert myself into his work. job, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Which is wonderful.
Speaker 2: So I love doing a little like sneaky writing for X or Y or whatever. It's like very fun for me. And you were writing this gorgeous Christmas album and you needed some background vocals and you were amazing. And we were vocal producing you and I remember giving you notes.
Speaker 1: The best was, so there's like, I had like nine songs I was doing and there was three where we were writing kind of new. And so we were, there's one called Rum Pum Pum. And I pitch, I like sort of come in with my idea of what it is. And then it's Leland and Troy. And I'm like, well, here we go. Like, if I can't do it for them, I can't do it for anyone. So I do it. And they're like, mm-hmm. I leave the room. I come back. And Troy's got the cans in his hand. And I'm like, oh, Troy. Troy basically vocal produced Rum Pum Pum. So cool. With Brett. Rum Pum Pum. It's the one that's like, shake that fat Christmas ass. Let it go. Hit the snow.
Speaker 3: Oh, my god.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: I remember this.
Speaker 1: Rum Pum Pum.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: It goes like that. It's like my banger. Yeah. The girls throw ass at my shows when Rum Pum Pum comes on. You have to come see it.
Speaker 3: Are you vocally on that or are you producing?
Speaker 2: Am I vocally on.
Speaker 1: Rum Pum Pum? You are. You're vocally on Every Christmas Eve, which is my song from the perspective of Mrs. Claus.
Speaker 2: What's the gorgeous ballad?
Speaker 1: You Still Make It Rain on Christmas. Oh, I love that. Yeah, he's on that. And then he's on Rum Pum Pum, which he's responsible for a lot of my vocal take in that. Troye Sivan. And I was like, can I credit Troye Sivan in the notes? And they were like, no, he's a signed artist elsewhere. He can't. So it's only now that we reveal.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 3: I have to insert myself in this beautiful moment for both of you. I don't know if you remember this, but Matt and I got into a huge fight over FaceTime that week.
Speaker 1: You weren't there at the time. You weren't there at the time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there, but I do remember.
Speaker 1: But you heard about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard about it.
Speaker 1: This was when I was going through a fucking..
Speaker 3: Breakdown because I was flying back and forth shooting Wicked and doing SNL and it was in the summer but I was like I have to get on medication it was an important time that was that was a that was.
Speaker 1: A moment in the culture like we were in Matt and Bowen fighting I was just like so much was going on with you and I was doing this thing and then literally in the next room Troy was like, okay, I guess the Rush music video is coming out in three hours. And we were like, this is so exciting. And someone made lasagna? Dave Mazzoni came over and made lasagna for us all. So nice.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Amazing memory, both of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Also, Henry Kapurski, who wrote all of my Christmas music with me, is the saxophone on... The saxophonist, if you will. The saxophonist on your album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, on How to Stay With You, on my last album.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Love. Yes, yes, I knew that. And it doesn't end there, because you also, and this is what I wanted to say earlier, because this movie needs its flowers. You're the star of three months, which is Jared Freider's writing and directorial debut. And that's on Paramount Plus now. And you are fantastic. You're so good.
Speaker 2: And then Jared wins Gay Guy Normal, right?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: He won Best Gay Guy Normal. And I believe, did you win Best Gay Guy Famous?
Speaker 2: I think I've won it before, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I get offended every time I'm not nominated.
Speaker 1: I don't want you to be offended. But people generally take it, you take it personally. And I understand why. Very much so.
Speaker 2: Especially because I've been nominated before. So I was like, what did I do? Between last year and this year.
Speaker 1: I guess, why don't we see how the album goes? Wow.
Speaker 3: Would you be okay if you were nominated and would win another category? That's not gay guy at all. That's like, oh my God, like best hat wearer, Troye Sivan.
Speaker 1: Is hats going to be a big part of the rollout?
Speaker 2: TBD. Today's literally day one. Like you guys are one of my first interviews.
Speaker 1: I love wearing a hat. I think this feels like a thing.
Speaker 2: Does it really?
Speaker 1: You need to look into Ziggy Chen.
Speaker 2: It's that weird thing where I put it on and I'm like, I look at myself in the mirror and I'm like, is this? It's really good.
Speaker 1: It's you.
Speaker 2: Do I believe myself?
Speaker 1: Yes. It's not wearing you.
Speaker 2: Oh, really?
Speaker 1: Well, nothing does. No, you look at everything.
Speaker 2: No, when I wear it forwards, it's wearing me.
Speaker 1: Can we say that or no?
Speaker 2: I mean, all of a sudden I'm like. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I like this. Now it's giving actor. The other one was giving musician. This is a musician.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The other way was an actor.
Speaker 2: Wow i know yeah i mean it's like immediately i want to like do a british accent or something like that when it's on the yeah so.
Speaker 3: You do want a british boyfriend i just think.
Speaker 2: They're funny they're very british irish whatever like yeah you know like funny.
Speaker 3: Funny and they funny in a way that we're like they don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: They don't give a shit at all yeah i can like get a beer with someone that i've just met and immediately we're like off to the races shooting the shit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went on one day with a British guy in the UK and was like, Oh, this is, this is really nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard from him.
Speaker 1: The way they describe things is very, very fun. Enchanting. I mean, that was one of my favorite things about dating a Brit was the descriptions of things in, in their slang is very, it's, it's always entertaining.
Speaker 2: There's also a, um, there's kind of like a, chillness, a baseline chillness that I respond really well to. I find, no offense, Americans, I had this issue when I first moved to LA where people, I heard from like two or three people, or I heard from other people about those people that they thought that I didn't like them.
Speaker 1: Because you're chill.
Speaker 2: And I was appalled because I... One of them I actually didn't like. The other ones I did.
Speaker 1: You were like, God, I'm not doing a good job of faking it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. But it upset me because I was like, I hope that I'm not giving like this rancid vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that British people wouldn't get it mixed up. I just think that there's like a way, especially in LA of like, you know, the vibe where it's like you meet someone 10 minutes before and then they're like, we have to go to Palm Springs. We got a Joshua tree together. You know what I mean? And it's like, to me that is such a terrifying idea and prospect and so i would never say that to.
Speaker 1: Anyone that is very american saying i love you at the end of a conversation where you just met i'm obsessed with.
Speaker 2: You i love you like i i really like that i like the idea of it but i just don't feel it in my heart so i don't i don't say it like i don't do that and i think.
Speaker 1: That um right I don't feel it in my heart, so I don't say it. I don't do that. But there's no Aussie or British equivalent to that, you think? Of like, oh, you're lovely.
Speaker 2: I just, I can't imagine, I think an Australian would be like, why are you being like so full on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it's, I think if anything, maybe, and maybe this was the issue, maybe there's like a standoffish thing where it's like, you know, you want to be super friendly and polite. Yeah. And part of being polite is that you don't want to make the person feel like attacked or like, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And so you just want to be like kind of chill.
Speaker 3: No, everyone, everyone treats everyone like, like British culture is like, it's like everyone's a cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And like in American culture, everyone's a dog.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: The one and only time I went to Australia, I actually saw you there because it was World Pride. Yes. And I went to that restaurant. That place was so good.
Speaker 2: The Italian one?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that place. I was there like three days ago.
Speaker 1: Literally. And everyone there is so, it's like you're saying, everyone there is so kind. And the one thing I loved the most about being in Sydney for World Pride is how excited they were to be hosting Pride.
Speaker 2: So cool.
Speaker 1: Who performed that? Was it Kylie? It was Kylie. Kylie. And it was major.
Speaker 2: Major.
Speaker 1: And it was just, there was a citywide, I don't know if I was necessarily in a gay part. It didn't feel like that. It was like everyone in the city is proud that it's hosting gay pride. And then it also didn't feel like an overwhelming party-like celebration. It felt more joyous and jovial and everyone was included. And maybe that's speaking to this thing. It didn't feel too much. It felt like a lot of enough. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, Mardi Gras didn't like pride didn't get politicized in the same way that it has in like the U S I feel like, like the whole city really, really, really gets around it. It's really, it's very special.
Speaker 1: It's not like a topic that's taboo, like whether or not we're going to, you know, speak about who in this community is actually deserving of this treatment or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's just kind of like, no, and like people, like everyone comes to the parade cause it's fun and you know, like it's not like, A thing like that.
Speaker 1: It's not like a statement.
Speaker 2: Not at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, speaking of Australia, which is where you're birthed from, we should go to the beginning and ask you the question, really. The central question of this podcast, which is, Troye Sivan, what was the culture that made you say culture was for you?
Speaker 2: I think it was seeing Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge. Because I was young enough to... that I found the first 10 minutes of the movie scary. Like I was like afraid because it's like, it's a panic.
Speaker 1: It's a cut every half second.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy. And I remember I was watching it with my mom and I was like, I don't like this. And then once it calms down and you start to get into the story and I saw Nicole giving this performance that's like perfectly nuanced, but also kind of like camp sometimes when she's like, you know, when she's like, like all that stuff, I was like, what is going on? And then the songs. And I was like, Oh, something interesting is happening in my spirit right now. And actually that's part of the reason why, because my other answer for that question was going to be, Nicole talking about Tweety Bird on this podcast.
Speaker 1: You didn't like culture until then.
Speaker 2: There was a hint of sateen in there. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: The breathiness. She was beginning to have, she was feeling the frisson.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Totally. She was like overcome in the same way that, you know, so I recognized a little bit of what made me like fall in love with her. Wow.
Speaker 3: Which is like, um, a campiness, but like something so inviting and she's always been inviting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So warm.
Speaker 3: Even though she presents sometimes as like statuesque and like impervious and like icy, but not icy, but just like, you're just like, whoa, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: But she's warm. She invites you in.
Speaker 2: She is. I asked her to do the music video. So good. And I was on a FaceTime call or Zoom, sorry. And I made a joke to the person that I was on Zoom with because my phone started to ring and it was an unknown number. And I was like, without any context to the person, I was like, if this is Nicole Kim and I'm going to have to leave the call. Right. And then I wasn't going to answer. I thought I was just sort of being like funny. Um, and then, you know how Apple does the like voice note as it's coming in. I see. Hi, darling, Troy. It's Nick. And I was like, Oh, and you knew I slammed my laptop close, answered the phone. And she was like, I just watched your video. Cause I, I made a video, you know, asking her to do it. And I listened to the song and, I would love to do it. And then I was, I was silent because I was waiting for a butt.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was a butt that never came. And she was like, I, I'm so down. Like I, she was just the sweetest in the world. And then it was like the funnest day ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How long have you been connected to her? Was it before Boy Erased?
Speaker 2: No, Boy Erased.
Speaker 1: It was Boy Erased.
Speaker 2: So we did Boy Erased. I don't remember what year that was. Maybe like 2018.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Um, I met her for the first time there. Um, And I mean, especially as an Australian, like she's just everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Truly everything.
Speaker 3: And, and, and can we just put some, some respect on Baz? Yes.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Always Baz. Always Baz.
Speaker 2: Love his vibe.
Speaker 1: He is the kook of all kooks.
Speaker 2: 100%. Yeah. I love him.
Speaker 1: And apparently, I guess.
Speaker 3: I can't really talk about this, but he, and I totally forgot about it, but after the Taylor wedding.
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 3: Multiple texts of people being like, so you and Baz, like, were like, fighting each other in a way that like.
Speaker 2: At the wedding, you fought?
Speaker 1: Baz and, Baz has a bit with me. Oh, you bitch. Exactly.
Speaker 3: He'll run up to me at something. If we're at the same place, he'd be like.
Speaker 1: Oh, you bitch. Oh, you bitch. And then he'll just like, say that like.
Speaker 2: I really want to do that.
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: I really want to do that. Like next time I see you.
Speaker 1: To me anyone can do this with me I actually I love them and I black out because I'm just like having a blast.
Speaker 2: Totally how do you respond I'm just like I start laughing and I'm like yes Baz it's me I'm so so yes I am I'm such a bitch to you I just.
Speaker 1: Play along with it but I just throw my hands up we gotta get him in here I think he would thrive on our set he would thrive on our set there's so many things that's a good guess you know what I mean what's this he's superb Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh my God. And such a character.
Speaker 1: He's like, that's what, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I had a, I had a zoom with him once. That was the first time I actually met him. And he, he does this iconic thing on his Instagram where he, have you seen, he covers the camera and he says action and he starts filming himself. And it's so amazing. I have not seen this on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Action.
Speaker 2: It's perfect. And so I, I'm so nervous because I'm about to do a zoom with Baz Luhrmann. And as I said, we learned, we were just like, Formative experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I get on the zoom and it's like, uh, it's a weird blank screen, but I can tell that it's not a digital blank screen. Like it's not, the video is not paused or anything like that. I'm like, why is it moving? I realized it's a piece of paper.
Speaker 1: I was going to say it's a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Being held up in front of the camera. And for the zoom, he goes, action. And it was truly one of the best moments of my life.
Speaker 3: Like that saying, like my life, a movie, like everyone's life, a movie. Everyone's life, a movie when Baz is in the space.
Speaker 1: That's rule of culture number 19. Everyone's life, a movie when Baz is in the space. I won't even talk to people who say they don't like Moulin Rouge. I'm like, okay, great. You've told me everything I need to know.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that.
Speaker 1: People, in the context of Baz Luhrmann films? No, just like people who, I don't know, there's like an opinionated flavor of person that's just like, they think it's too chaotic for its own good. Interesting. That's the point. I really do, I mean, I get it. If you're sitting in front of it and you just don't like watching it, whatever, I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong, but I don't.
Speaker 3: It's a classic example of when some, when people point out a thing that they don't like about a specific work, it's like, that's the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The point is that it's chaotic.
Speaker 3: The point is that there's like random song choices that then get translated to the musical version on Broadway. It's like, It is on purpose. And if you don't like it, then that's fine. Then it's good that you recognize that you don't like it. Like move along.
Speaker 1: But it's a lot better for our culture that we have it. I can't see the fabric of pop culture without it, to be honest with you. Like I remember the soundtrack album.
Speaker 2: Lady Marmalade.
Speaker 1: Lady Marmalade. I mean, just it has dimension as a project. And he is responsible for creating all of the dimensions of that, especially on something that exists in culture. Yes. that then he then explodes like it's just what it's injected with is so unique to him and so vital to everything else in the pop culture ecosystem and it really did make him an international yeah and he's australian.
Speaker 3: Brand he's australian yeah and it was the first time so like i like kind of sheltered ish culturally like did not grow up with like marilyn monroe movies or like David Bowie albums. Like it was the first time I heard like heroes. It was the first time I heard like diamonds are gold's best friend. I was like, it was like, it was, it is a perfect, yeah. Right. It's like, it's, it's a, that's, it's a perfect answer for the question, which is what is the culture that made you say cultures for me? It's like, it is a perfect like sampling menu. Yes.
Speaker 2: It's an entry point.
Speaker 1: There's also something about giving a truly crazy performance in the blank like that. Like, you know what I mean? Like, she is taking the space as the lead of that movie and giving a batshit performance. And there's no scoring or anything that's telling her, like, yeah, you're matching the tone. Like, they're creating a tone together and also totally underrated Jim Broadbent. So good. Jim Broadbent and Moulin Rouge.
Speaker 2: Wait, who is that?
Speaker 1: Ziegler. Ziegler. Like absolutely tearing it up, like doing something that had to feel nuts in the room. I know. But you have to just.
Speaker 2: I've never thought about that. That is so fascinating to me that like they all, how did they all know? They all must have really seen the wood from the trees. I mean, I guess testament to a good director.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, no, no, this is going to be mega.
Speaker 1: Scream. This is a fat boy slim song. Yeah. Like, Can, can, can.
Speaker 3: It's the can, can, but it's like a 90s remake. It's like so crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he does it, and then his, because you can, can, can! Becomes iconic.
Speaker 2: So good.
Speaker 3: So fucking good. Wait, I would say, is the new music a little Fatboy Slim coded?
Speaker 2: A little bit, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was saying Marcy Playground, like late 90s, like grunge pop.
Speaker 2: There's moments of that for sure, yeah. I mean, it's like, I... I do feel like this album, I wanted it to feel a little like, first of all, chaotic because I think my life feels a little bit chaotic. And, and, um, so yeah, I wanted it to have layers, but then also I do feel like this is the most like potent distillation of the references, musical references that have made me the person that I am. There's like, all of it is in there for me. And maybe, who knows? It might be honestly like, maybe people are going to be like, I don't, what is this kind of thing? But I can listen through and, like, identify, honestly, like, moments in my life where I'm like, this sweetness of this melody reminds me of the first time that I heard, like, Together Again by Janet Jackson. You know what I mean? That's really, really, really. So, yes. It's, like, it's all in there.
Speaker 3: Like, I think you've been able to really... not bypass, but it's like, you don't, you've never had to do the thing that pop stars do, which is that we're requiring them to do now in a way where it's like.
Speaker 1: What's the authentic you.
Speaker 3: It's like, you've, you've kind of been that the whole time so that you've, I don't think you've ever had to earn this album, which is, these are the references that truly define me.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think in a way it's like a relief because, um, Yeah, I'm just kind of going to keep doing that exact thing. I think the whole Kia Asylum thing doesn't really get said about boys that much. I don't think, right?
Speaker 1: Because there aren't that many of them.
Speaker 2: I think it's sort of like a spectrum of how much people nitpick at you. And I think that pop girls have it really bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that it's like insane. Um, then like the straight boys, they might like talk shit about you online, but either the straight boys just don't care, which is hilarious and kind of amazing, honestly. Um, or they, or they don't get it as, as bad. You know, like I do think that like straight boys can get away with releasing stuff that like, if a queer artist or a female artist released it, I just think that they would get kind of like ripped to shreds. Um, and so, yeah, I, I think that for queer artists, it's like, or for, I guess, gay guy artists, there's, uh, it's, it's a weird like middle ground almost between the two where it's like, no one is expecting me to, you know, they're not holding me to the standards. I don't think of like a pop girl where it's like, I mean, I do, I was going to say something about like my body. I do get that a lot. Um, I don't know. I think maybe the, the like reinvention of it all is not necessarily expected from like male artists. Like I think that male artists can kind of release the same album a bunch of times and like, no one seems to be too fast. Like it'll do well. Um, Whereas I think female artists, there's this insane expectation to reinvent all the time.
Speaker 3: There's like a risk assessment that's like different depending on who the artist is. Certainly along like gendered lines, but I'm saying, I'm not, I'm even like removing the gender of it, but like, I mean, it's good that you're acknowledging that, but.
Speaker 1: I feel like.
Speaker 3: You've never had to like, you've given people what they've wanted. And I feel like people have been very satisfied and like thankful for that.
Speaker 1: But you're right.
Speaker 3: Like I think, the expectation for like a female artist is to like have them reinvent and therefore do something risky. And if it fails, then it's like off to the asylum you go.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And like, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Also another thing that for me personally, just the way that I feel about it is like, I have never had a, like, I think the only song that I've ever really had chart even close to like, I don't know. I think it was maybe number 15 or something like that was youth. My first album. Yes. And, I love my life and you know what I mean? So like, I, I don't, my metric of kind of like what I'm trying to do, I is not really informed by that. So I'm yeah. I, maybe I don't feel it as much because I'm not like, I honest to God could not tell you what, like my first week sales, I couldn't tell you anyone's. I don't, I like, I've just never really been like numbers minded when it comes to music stuff. Um, So that's also maybe a thing where I'm like, I feel okay about it no matter what. I think to me, the heartbreaking thing, like rather than it only sold however many thousand or whatever would be if it went by without any sort of like cultural impact. Exactly. That would be the heartbreaking, I would be devastated. Like, what am I doing this for? If not to kind of like, at least just give, you know, cause I think back to those moments of like, first time I watched Moulin Rouge or the first time I saw like, the dirty video by Christina Aguilera or whatever. You know what I mean? Like those things, those sort of moments, I'm obsessed with the idea of being able to try and give that to people, you know, where like they remember the sweat tour forever or, you know, like whatever, the one of your girls video or something like that. I, and so, yeah, for me, I would be devastated if, if the thing came and went and no one like batted an eye or knew about it or anything like that, that would be a failure.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 3: I don't think you have to worry about that because I feel like the cultural impact is like an emotional impact on an individual level. And like, I think individually, like there's so many people who watched one of your girls, let's say, and they're like, holy fuck, like I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: You know? I think it's more just like the idea that people expect they come to. I feel like when, when like a new album comes out or like someone introduces a new era and it almost feels like the audience expectation is that they're going to get it and enjoy it right away and have a language about what it was and how it was contextualized, et cetera. So that's like a weird daunting thing that happens now, which is like an era comes out and because the, um, we're not talking that much about album sales because that's all traditionally broken down in the way that it was. And like, no one really knows how to talk about like, success in the many different ways you can metrically talk about it. You can talk about like whether or not it's being felt and people, I think conflate that with like, and I get it too. You know what I mean? It's like, it's like with any of the recent albums that have come out, it's like, it almost feels like it landed weird if people don't know how to talk about it immediately.
Speaker 2: You know, I, I'm really excited about like, I think that's part of the fun, honestly, is like being able to try and imagine, because also this album is very, like I said, it's sort of chaotic. It's like basically, hmm.
Speaker 1: It's eclectic.
Speaker 2: It's eclectic for sure. And I think that I am very excited to give them one thing and then know, I know what's coming next. You know what I mean? And so I think like trying to kind of imagine how might this land for people, Well, also then having the sort of like confidence to be like, first of all, I have to love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, like, no way, Jose. Nobody Jose. What?
Speaker 1: Nobody Jose.
Speaker 2: Nobody Jose. Sure.
Speaker 1: That's what you said.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Nobody Jose. Correctamundo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have to absolutely love it. And then also, I'm excited to, you know, my last album, my goal was like, perfect pop. You know what I mean? I'm a student of the school of Max Martin and Swedish people. And I'm like, I am fascinated by this perfect pop song that like every, the second pre-chorus has a little bit more harmony than the, you know what I mean? And it's like half length and whatever, all these little tricks and stuff like that you can do. So fun to do. And I will do that probably for the rest of my life. But then like a natural pendulum swing, I was like, I want to make something that just feels very, very, very like expressive. And so I made a lot of the album with my little brother I made a lot of the album at home and I'm kind of like excited to yeah I'm just sort of excited to see how I think for me personally this one is going to age well to me personally like I think I'm going to look back on it in like 50 years and be able to play a couple of the songs or all of the songs and be like, wow, I'm really proud of like 31 year old Troy for doing that. You know?
Speaker 3: I feel like all of your albums have aged well.
Speaker 2: Thank you. They, they feel like, um, it's so corny cause it's like, everyone says this, but it really does feel like opening a journal from when you were like 50 or something like that. You think that you're not that different and then you go back and you like read something you wrote or you whatever. And you're like, Oh my God, this is like, Slightly mortifying, but also very sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And very true.
Speaker 2: Very true.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like, I had a sinus surgery to, cause I had like a terrible deviated septum and I can hear in my career pre and post.
Speaker 1: Where the septum was.
Speaker 2: Where the septum was. Because I was so stuffy. Like there's songs on Blue Neighborhood where I am just completely blocked.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: And thankfully that doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess like you're, Like, your, like, belt on Blue, or not your belt, but, like, your placement on Blue Neighborhood, it's, like, younger, but it's, like, more, it's brighter, and yet it's more, like, there's, like, a dome over it or something.
Speaker 1: Totally. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I think you're going to listen to this album in 50 years, and you're going to say one word. Correctamundo. Correctamundo.
Speaker 2: Correctamundo.
Speaker 1: Volume, what is it? Volume..
Speaker 2: Volume loss.
Speaker 1: Volume loss.
Speaker 2: I hope you don't honestly I know it's.
Speaker 1: Too late volume loss please listen.
Speaker 4: To this podcast listen to no Troy no Tro no Tro okay so here's when we reveal there's been two games we were playing on this episode with you and you.
Speaker 1: One of them you know about one of them you don't one of them Bowen revealed which is he was gonna call you.
Speaker 2: Tro Tro right which I loved.
Speaker 1: Yeah you loved that what about what about this one what do you think what do you think was the second the second unusual thing the game you've been.
Speaker 2: Saying correctamundo a lot I just thought, I was like, that was weird.
Speaker 1: So you did think it was weird and there was no world in which you thought like, I guess Correctamundo was back and I didn't know.
Speaker 2: No, no. So my honest, my honest deep fear was, I was like, you know, I, I listened to the pod. I'm a reader.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I'm not like a religious reader. No offense. Sorry, guys. No problem. I'm a busy boy.
Speaker 1: Some of our episodes are fucking flop as fuck. They're pretty bad.
Speaker 2: And so, no, I just assumed that this was something, maybe one of the more recent episodes that I hadn't caught. No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You must be like, oh, God.
Speaker 2: That's why I wasn't going to bring it up.
Speaker 1: I think, I think this is, oh, oh, my God.
Speaker 3: And there's one more thing that we have to do, but it's not a secret, but it's a thing that you're going to contribute to.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes.
Speaker 3: But I think in this, this set is really inspiring us creatively. And like, we want to do like, I think we're going to, we're going to do like games for all of our guests. And I think this is a great, and you are really so easygoing.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And you're really rolling with this in such a nice way. This is the new thing. Any other thing else on Correctamundo that you want to talk about?
Speaker 1: I was just thinking, I was getting excited about another thing, which is we should figure out a way to use the phone. There's a phone over there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: There's just so many things in stimulus now that are in the room that we're sort of getting excited. But that's a separate topic. This is what Bowen is talking about.
Speaker 3: We want to establish... The queer handshake.
Speaker 2: The queer handshake?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we have created the first two steps of it. And we want you to add the next one. And we want you to help create the third step. Perfect. And maybe by the end of time, we will have the whole thing. The whole handshake. And we'll all do it together. And it's like, if you know, you know. If you see someone on the street. If like.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cause like, I think it's just going to get longer and longer.
Speaker 1: We'll call it.
Speaker 2: And are you only inviting queer people to do it or? Yes.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, so you're on the podcast this week and then next week is Spike and Honey. Spike and Honey. And they're, they're very queer. And then the week after that is Carly Rae Jepsen. And I do think we should allow her to contribute. She can do it. Like Carly Rae Jepsen. I think she's earned that. She's going to come out on the pod.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think she's going to be like, surrender my heart.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite songs.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just thought about Emotion.
Speaker 1: The best album of all time. What's your favorite track on Emotion?
Speaker 2: It's the one... Dev Hines did it.
Speaker 1: All That?
Speaker 2: Is that what it's called?
Speaker 1: All That. So good. I also love When I Needed You. When I Needed You.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Which I think..
Speaker 2: Is Runaway with me on Emotion?
Speaker 1: Yes. Opening track. Opening track.
Speaker 2: My different Noonie wrote that song and it's like, I'm still starstruck by her.
Speaker 1: Of course. That's one of the best pop songs of all time.
Speaker 2: Truly.
Speaker 1: Wait, what are you looking up? I'm looking up what my actual favorite is on. Um, first of all, you want to come me everywhere. Jizzing anywhere. Um, not faking it, not faking it at all. No need. Okay. My favorite song on this album, I think is your type. yeah i'm not the type.
Speaker 2: Of girl for you i'm not going.
Speaker 1: To pretend just the way the words in which.
Speaker 3: She puts emphasis yeah i'm like i'll make time for you wailing.
Speaker 1: That that voice cuts.
Speaker 3: Through that is a radio ready that's radio ready yes i mean call me maybe okay this is this is this is what we have so far so simple okay.
Speaker 1: That's all we have so far. So it's sort of like a grip? And then it's burned like it's hot. And then you have choices. You can either reunite or you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: My first thought was like a..
Speaker 1: So you guys do it.
Speaker 2: Is it inhale?
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: We both did it, so yeah. And then I kind of want like a... Yeah, okay, great. That's great.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: Okay. You guys do it.
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 1: Ready? Yes! I mean, we could end it right there if we want. I think for now it's ended. And then we can see. If we're moved to do it. Let's just see what next week brings. You know what I mean? But in terms of where it's at right now, I feel really happy. I think the space is giving a lot of.
Speaker 3: Like there should be like queer handshakes.
Speaker 2: 100%. I mean, there's nothing more petrifying in the world than like a straight man walking up to you. about to do something this.
Speaker 3: Is exactly what this is exactly what inspired me i was like why did we all get so terrified when that happens.
Speaker 2: The same as for me when a ball gets kicked over a fence right and i'm the one standing on the other side of the fence like oh yeah just.
Speaker 3: Terrifying just terrifying i know it's really scary a.
Speaker 1: Chill just ran up my spine i had a physical moment because i thought of when guys do that thing where they shake your hand and they pull oh you Has anyone ever done this to you?
Speaker 2: I think I'd get hard.
Speaker 1: No, I know. It's really... What would you say?
Speaker 2: I think I'd get hard. I would love that. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So you are on the husband line. Yeah, you're just looking for a man to grip it and rip it.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you're in New York or Melbourne and you run into Troy, make sure you pull it.
Speaker 1: Run into Tro, pull in. Run into Tro? Correctamundo, babe. Correctamundo.
Speaker 2: Correctamundo's tough.
Speaker 1: Do you like Correctamundo? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was good for this episode. I don't know that it needs to be like a thing forever.
Speaker 1: You really did bail on the bit with Tro. You told him right away. Cause you would have been like, I would have, I just would have loved it. Really?
Speaker 2: I absolutely love it.
Speaker 1: At first you were like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've never been called that before.
Speaker 1: So I loved the, the name Troy is incredible.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You've never wavered on that.
Speaker 2: No, but Savannah's not my last name. Right. It's my middle name.
Speaker 3: But, but, And Savannah's gorgeous. But Troy as a first name, something you're hearing all the time.
Speaker 1: I've also met your cool parents because they came to my Christmas show in LA.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And I met them after. Troy was like, I brought my parents. And I was like, hey. So cool. Yeah, they are cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're amazing. They come to a lot of things with me.
Speaker 1: Do they come to America a lot?
Speaker 2: They do, yeah.
Speaker 3: Before we do, I don't think so, honey. We were told that we would be watching something.
Speaker 1: Oh, right. Oh, here we go. Dan, is that it? Oh, I am really excited. Okay, so how is this going to be a moment where we... Oh, do you have the capabilities? I can't believe sometimes how... You guys stay ready, so you don't have to get ready. This is an unreleased song. We've heard it.
Speaker 2: You have heard it.
Speaker 1: Can we say the name of the track or no?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Let's not risk it.
Speaker 2: No, but I just was... I'm very, very, very excited..
Speaker 3: Anything you want to preface for us before we hit play? I'm obsessed with, I have not stopped thinking about this song.
Speaker 2: Really? For the readers at home, I am playing them the second single from my album, She's the Best.
Speaker 3: And this is going to be played everywhere.
Speaker 2: The music video, I'm just so proud of it and so excited about it. But I was like, I kind of just want to show them.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. Thank you. So this is when I have to say, Terry O'Connor, you do have to come in here and make a cameo to open up the laptop. And Terry's going to come make a short cameo to open this up.
Speaker 3: Culture Digest's Terrence O'Connor.
Speaker 1: You know him, you love him. On the husband hunt as well. On the husband hunt as well. Terrence and Culture Digest. Yes, come. No, it's not. We need Touch ID, Pat.
Speaker 3: You gotta put your finger on it honey there you go.
Speaker 1: This is a great moment wave to the camera.
Speaker 3: Okay alright hey everybody there he is there he is okay we're gonna press play ready pressing play I wanna do brightness yeah yeah yeah okay get away from me Mike oh my god can I go around the back yeah come come come Yeah, come around.
Speaker 1: Sit, sit, sit.
Speaker 2: Sit.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. This is already stunning.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on.
Speaker 2: This is..
Speaker 1: What? When... How did you do this? Oh! Oh. I'm really happy. This is huge. Yes! Oh. Really good.
Speaker 3: The location scouting must have been really fun. That's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. Oh. Wow. Oh, my God. That was amazing. Oh, my God. Wow. You know how to press. You look perfect in this setting. You know how to press with the eye contact. Oh, my God. Tro.
Speaker 4: In it.
Speaker 1: Yes. That's going to be a huge fucking moment, bitch.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God. Thank you. That was incredible. I am... I don't know how to like over hype that. I'm so sorry. I mean, thank you. Thank you. Thank you. That is really fucking cool. You are galvanized. Like you have not, are you, um, okay.
Speaker 3: Without revealing too much, you're, you're like, you're in your dancing bag in that video.
Speaker 1: You kind of were already, but it's like, it's like, this is like rush was amazing.
Speaker 3: And get me started with me. But like this, this is like, this is like a level up.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I think it's, it's so, it was so interesting. Cause I think, um, dancers like pick things up like that. And it's so crazy. And the first time I tried to dance was for rush. And I remember thinking like, it's, it's, I, these are neural pathways that I just don't have. Like it was so confusing. And now it feels a little bit easier where like, I feel like I can look at someone and be like, damn, their core is really tight right now while they are doing that. You know what I mean? It's like, Kind of, you can understand what that would feel like. Whereas before, I had no idea. I just didn't... There was no correlation between seeing what someone was doing and knowing what it would feel like.
Speaker 1: Everything about that video is what they should be.
Speaker 3: You really gotta keep it going with all the acting stuff, too.
Speaker 1: Really? You have such presence. Thank you. It's really incredible. You're really fucking good on camera.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I just feel..
Speaker 2: Like, I have friends who sleep, eat, breathe, acting.
Speaker 1: I totally get this.
Speaker 2: And I have never been like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You don't have to be.
Speaker 2: And I... Yeah, so it's just, like, it's not something that I, like, I'm dying for.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like it's that thing of because... you have so much to give. You should only give it to a project that's going to like actually, you know, I get what you're saying because there's a lot of people who it's like, yeah, because they are an actor and they're going to grind for that and they're going to want that. They should be given certain opportunities to do it. I feel like you're not going to be someone that's just going to take a part because like, you want to act because you know that there's like something that feeds your soul that you're able to do. And so if there's going to be an opportunity for someone whose soul is going to be fed by doing something, I totally get that.
Speaker 2: But, but I just know how I feel about music and I'm like, yeah, I am so obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: You don't have that same feeling towards, towards.
Speaker 2: I haven't, but maybe if the right project came along, I would feel differently. Or maybe it's about, maybe I need to be a bit more involved like on the production side or something like that. Because I just find music, really stimulates like every part of my brain and then showing up and acting i just i don't know i enjoy it but it's like like i said i'm not like.
Speaker 3: There's so much bill my thing with at least uh for film and television or whatever it's like there's just so much and even with like theater it's like there's so much build-up to it you're not doing it really like it doesn't feel complete until it's like until it's done, if that makes sense, until like you're doing it in front of, you're presenting it. But with music, it's like, I'm sure you understand this. It's like the building of it is the thing.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And then it's another special stage of it when it's being presented. It's like there's, I don't know, which is not to say that that's not true for acting, but it's like for you guys, it's like the fact that you're, if you're near music, if you're near music being made, like with Matt's album, it's like, you're just going to jump in there. There's no second thought about it.
Speaker 2: It's cool. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: I am shook. Honestly, it's like I wouldn't have placed it in that world. And now I'm like, that's the world in which it will live forever, which is such an interesting experience to have. It's like, I don't know. Actually, I know exactly what I heard when I first heard the song, which we're not going to say what it is. But now that I have that visual context for it, it's just so exciting because you realize there's um, boundless opportunities for its visual context.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. Blank in the wherever you want, really.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it must be really confounding for everyone to like not know what we're talking about, but just like trust that you will, there's no way you don't love it.
Speaker 1: That's all. You're going to want to take repeat rides. That's for sure. Um, well that was fucking incredible. Thank you for sharing that with us and stay tuned. Do you have any dates to share about things about the album and stuff?
Speaker 2: You're asking me about my dating life again.
Speaker 1: No, I mean like in terms of like when, when we can expect this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's, you know what? I have no idea what will be known by the time this comes out. So all I'll say is it's a very quick rollout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a very quick rollout. Is that good or bad? great for me yeah love love that absolutely love especially i think because it is such a kind of like eclectic or uh you know i i think maybe people humbly i made it obviously i think this i think that the album is best experienced when listened top to bottom it's like a very it's a journey you know what i mean and so i think um that's also kind of why we wanted to do a quick rollout is i'm like i just want people to have the whole thing yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: That's very generous All right, time for I Don't Think So Honey.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: This is our 60-second segment where we sort of, you know, just we let loose on a topic that needs a reckoning. And I have something. Fabulous. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is Matt Rogers' I Don't Think So Honey's Time Starts Now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I don't think so, honey. Apparently on Disney +, there is something called The Descendants, which is about the descendants of like, it's like the children of like Lumiere and Mrs. Clock. What's her name, Mrs. Clock? Mrs. Potts. Mrs. Potts. I don't think so, honey. Cogsworth is the, oh yeah. I don't think so, honey, that I need to think about like how these things reproduced. Um, it's all about like, oh, like even though it's his son, is he going to be a lot like his dad? It's like, I understand we're living in a world where like, oh yeah, this inanimate object is for, this is for children and it has a daughter. But I just feel like I can't stop thinking when you're talking about like, oh, are they going to be just like their mom? Why would they be?
Speaker 4: Oh, right.
Speaker 1: Because they had parents that fucked. And I don't want to think about like Mrs. Potts and Lumiere having sex. sex like i don't think it's worth having the show and i'm in a great place with disney right now we had an amazing time at the theme parks um but i just i personally don't think so honey that i need to think about like you know right after be my guest like she was like that was amazing baby and then they fucked and as a result like now we have a little child from the descendants.
Speaker 3: And that's one minute now i have so many questions same i guess didn't they all turn back to humans Right.
Speaker 1: So, Becca Ramos, in the series The Descendants on Disney +, can you just double check, are they little inanimate objects, household things? Or are they humans?
Speaker 3: Because they were people who were turned by that witch.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to watch a show about them if it was about the human version of them.
Speaker 2: I have no context for this whatsoever. I've got no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: It says most of the main.
Speaker 3: Characters are human, though several possess... Magical or non-human heritage.
Speaker 1: So then they can turn into things. Sorry, what? They have non-human heritage?
Speaker 3: I think it's live action on Disney +. It's like expanding the universe. Like the kids, the descendants of these characters.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you know, Mrs. Clock. Mrs.
Speaker 2: Potts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It says, be the.
Speaker 3: Daughter of the evil queen, Jay, son of the bar.
Speaker 1: It's... it's descendants of a bunch of Disney characters oh yeah it's all and they're all for some reason human teenagers and the whole thing is like am I gonna be like my like fucked mom and dad who was a spoon and a clock or like am I gonna be like fucked like my mom's like my dad's scar you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So is Jafar's son he's human or what.
Speaker 1: First of all Jafar having a son is crazy to me because he's about as gay as the day is long Sargassi What? Oh, surrogacy, yeah.
Speaker 3: Surrogacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Becca, can you check in the show, did Jafar have a son by surrogacy and that's why we can believe that he procreated?
Speaker 2: Never mind the fact that his son is human.
Speaker 1: He's human.
Speaker 2: He's human. Oh my God, you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's a genie. He can just become a snake. Jafar and who? It's going to be like, he had a girlfriend named Megan in college. Like Jafar and Megan haven't spoken, but Megan came to the, I guess, where did he live? Agrabah. Agrabah. Okay, it feels like this is an involved answer from Becca. And I know enough to know I still don't think so, honey. Got it. But especially after hearing that some of them have, in your words, non-human heritage. Like my heritage is half cupboard, half Italian.
Speaker 3: There is a child of Beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jesus Christ. Right.
Speaker 3: That's not a human heritage. But what we're forgetting is that they were all human at one point in Beauty and the Beast.
Speaker 1: Sure. I don't know. I just wanted to bring it up. Okay. Look, this is our podcast. I just wanted to bring it up. Yeah. Respect. Do you have anything to say on this topic? I'm ready. No. I'm ready.
Speaker 3: And mine also has to do with the work of Alan McKinnon and Howard Ashman.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. Oh, great. This is Bowen Yang. I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, honey. The story of Little Shop of Horrors. I did not understand and realize until we had seen it off Broadway this weekend that an amazing performance.
Speaker 1: Loved it.
Speaker 3: Run, Don't Walk, Eaton Slater, Claiborne Elder, Betsy Wolfe, incredible cast of Little Shop of Horrors. I, I've always.
Speaker 1: Been familiar with the music in all my life.
Speaker 3: Howard Ashman is one of our greatest lyricists, writers, composers, or, I'm sorry, lyricists and writers. 30 seconds.
Speaker 1: It's a sad ending. That's all I'll say. Yeah. Really, kind of Shakespearean. Well, yeah, I guess it's, it's like a 30 year old story at this point. Much longer. Everybody dies. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: 30 plus, 40.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Everyone dies. 15 seconds, yeah. It's kind of sad.
Speaker 3: And it's about the Faustian bargain of fame, which we're all familiar with, aren't we? And I guess that portends doom for us.
Speaker 1: Five seconds.
Speaker 3: We're all going to get eaten by the plant. And that's what fame is.
Speaker 1: That's one minute. I hadn't thought of Little Shop of Horrors as a Faustian bargain with fame today.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, that didn't cross my desk either.
Speaker 1: Isn't that what it is? I think that what happens in Little... Are you familiar with Little Shop of Horrors?
Speaker 2: Once again, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I think you would really like this show.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know..
Speaker 1: What? You don't like Madonna's Alive?
Speaker 2: I don't think it's like a musical gay.
Speaker 1: That's okay. You're not? Madonna's Alive.
Speaker 2: I didn't grow up with it.
Speaker 1: You hate Wicked? No. You loved it. I..
Speaker 3: I..
Speaker 2: Loved it, but I still would... I was like, I... This is not my culture. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: What if someone was like, we're going to make a Troye Sivan musical?
Speaker 2: I would say that's a bad idea. Genuinely. No, and I love it. I love it. It's the same reason that I've never seen... Sometimes when things get so big and involved... I understand. There is a culture here that I'm not a part of.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 2: It is too late for me to start watching Game of Thrones. It is too late for me to... I don't know. You know what I mean? There's just things that I don't know about, and I'm kind of okay with that.
Speaker 1: As a lover of music, doesn't it appeal to you? You don't have to know. It's a safe space.
Speaker 2: Let me do mine.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'll say to you before you do yours. Little Shop of Horrors would be a good one for you because it's dark and in a way kind of queer. Very queer. It's not something that if you watch, you wouldn't be like, because you don't love musicals already. You're not like comparing it to everything else, which I would think would help see it as like this, like weird alt kind of bizarre piece of art. Cause it is.
Speaker 2: I didn't grow up in a city with a lot of theater.
Speaker 1: You weren't exposed.
Speaker 2: And so my first exposure to theater was when, um, I did it for the first time when I was like 12 and I loved being a part of it. And I was like, wow, this is incredible. But even then I remember being like, people were talking about musicals that they loved and they had like listened to the soundtrack and stuff like that. And I was like, oh my God, I've totally missed this boat. And I just never really caught it.
Speaker 1: It is a culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe it'll happen later in life for me. Yeah. Where I fall in love with it.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of, I'm sorry I interrupted you. Speaking of catching it, it's like, it is, it reminds me of like Pokemon.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Where it's like.
Speaker 3: Well, have you seen this and this and this? Or it's like, I've collected this and this and this.
Speaker 2: Oh, right.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a musical name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're like, have you seen this and this? I'm like, no, girl. I haven't seen any of it.
Speaker 1: You thought Pokemon was a musical game?
Speaker 2: No, no, no. I thought you said, have you seen this, this, and this?
Speaker 1: This, this, and this. Yes. The musical. This, this, and this, the musical is a great title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it actually is.
Speaker 3: Title of ep is Correctamundo of this episode.
Speaker 1: Correctamundo. Are you okay with that? There's also volume loss. Volume loss. There's a lot going on titles wise in the episode. I did want to say one thing, which is it's crazy that the big version of your Wolverine is Mr.
Speaker 2: Musical. I know.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I mean, Moulin Rouge is one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's not like an absolute no-go zone. I just need, I need maybe a, maybe I should add this to the criteria for my husband. Someone who is willing to handhold me and teach me about musicals.
Speaker 1: Okay, you ready to do your I Don't Think So Honey?
Speaker 2: Sure, I think so.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go. This is Troy Sivan's I Don't Think So Honey as time starts now.
Speaker 2: I Don't Think So Honey singing. I am not fishing for compliments. I'm not that good at it. And I'm okay with that. No. But I think sometimes I will be in the car and I'll sing. It's just me. And something so... diabolical will come out of my mouth, but I'm like, I truly scammed the world. And the fact that I have the same job as Beyonce is just an insane thought. But now I will say I care a lot about tone and storytelling. And so I do, I understand, I get it. The real magic though, is when somebody has tone storytelling and they can sing, sing like Ariana Grande, Whitney Houston, Sade. These are like, you know, technical. But I'm just saying the idea of me doing karaoke or like singing at any point where I don't absolutely have to, I will not do it. And it's not that fun. It's fun at my shows because I'm in control. But any other time, absolutely not. No, thank you. Doing TV performances, hell on earth. Hell on earth. The least fun thing you can possibly do as a human being.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, honey, he says, and that's his one minute plus. And now it's time for Troye Sivan to sing.
Speaker 2: Oh my God.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Even happy birthday, like, I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, well that's, yeah. I remember, I remember when we were at Brett's together and I was for the first time ever putting like background vocals on something. And you were saying like, that's like one of your favorite parts because it's like scaping. You know what I mean? It's like, it's not the quote unquote singing part. And then I remember you said like, I barely sing. And I remember I heard you say that. And then the back of my mind, I was like, that's so funny that he said he barely sings.
Speaker 2: I am a good like talk singer.
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: Here's what's happening.
Speaker 3: You're placing value in a kind of vocal quality that people prize.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: But just because you don't sing the right note in the car doesn't mean you're a bad singer.
Speaker 2: No, I'm being self-deprecating because I really do value... Some of my favorite singers are not very good technically. Maybe they've got a very small range or something like that. But I like believe them.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: But like I said, the magic zone is when somebody can just do all of it. And that must be so fun. If you're, if you're Ariana.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or if you're Whitney or whatever, or like Zara Larson, that would, that must be so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: To be able to just like do that all the time, you know?
Speaker 3: But even there, even Ari is like, on this album is like, I'm not going to give you like the belt. I'm going to keep it like really restrained.
Speaker 2: She can do, she can do it all. Like she, her restraint is gorgeous. Her belt is gorgeous. Right. you know, there's an endless possibility.
Speaker 1: The thing that she said recently, which is I think sometimes people forget about Ariana when they're talking about the fact that she's not belting on her recent albums like people know she can. It's that if anyone knows her voice and what it can do, it's Ariana Grande. She literally is someone who is a studied vocalist. So when she is not doing those things, it is on purpose because that is what best suits her musical output. And I think She even says while she knows her voice is super special, she actually thinks her best quality is her ear and the way that she can hear everything together because as an artist, her voice is not her only instrument. So she's like allowed to do whatever the fuck she wants with it and she's still using the entire breadth of her artistic tool. And guess who also hates karaoke? Ariana Grande. Really?
Speaker 3: We invited her to come to karaoke with us after her show. which was, and then I laughed.
Speaker 1: I was like, to.
Speaker 2: Be fair, I'm surprised. Like I'm acting surprised, but I also think if singers don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you're a singer and you like go with your friends and then you sing in front of them, like it's like everyone knows that you can sing.
Speaker 1: We just wanted her to come and like hang. Right.
Speaker 3: Cause like her friends were like, like, like we were all going, like her friends were all going. And then I was like, come to karaoke. And she was like, I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 2: Everyone must think that she's going to like, it must be no fun. She has to go up there and sing like a perfect, you know, insane performance. And that's the gag of the night. Like, no, what if she just wants to like get drunk and hang out with everyone and sing terribly.
Speaker 1: But can you imagine if she was the kind of person that was like I love karaoke and then she was like no chance no way and did like all ram the show in karaoke you'd be like oh I didn't expect this I don't know if I love.
Speaker 2: It there's a powerhouse like famous amazing diva who loves karaoke and does it like full out.
Speaker 1: Is it Adele That's charming and that makes it. I knew that about her.
Speaker 3: It's a personality thing.
Speaker 1: I knew that about her. That's what a gag it is. It's like I love that someone is just like. It's a personality thing. I'm coming and I'm shredding. I think Kelly Clarkson too loves karaoke.
Speaker 2: See, that is really fun. I take it back what I said. That's really fun to be there while they do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my God. Also, I have a friend of ours years and years and years ago was at a wedding. I was at the same wedding as Cynthia Erivo. This is like post Color Purple, but pre her being Cynthia in the way that we know her now. And I guess at some point, How Will I Know by Whitney Houston came on, and Cynthia just in the middle of the floor just gave How Will I Know full power. No mic at the wedding? No mic, just while they're all dancing at the wedding. Everyone's just on the ground enjoying How Will I Know while the band or the DJ played, but then Cynthia was absolutely giving people eye contact, ripping How Will I Know. Everyone was just like, it's so good. Wow. We're nutted. Some people just love to sing. Troy has to go. The little computer over there is saying, which breaks our heart because this has been so fun.
Speaker 2: So fun guys. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: This is, I really feel like this is going to be a very special moment for you and you deserve it.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 3: Let's sing a song as we end every episode.
Speaker 1: Okay. Should we go to an oldie? You know, I've actually, this song actually helped me. Okay. I bloom, I bloom just for you. I bloom just for you. Just for you. And now this is... Yeah, that wasn't bad.
Speaker 2: That was good. I liked that little..
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Competitive with each other?
Speaker 1: No, never. We do a full howl I know against each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a... We gotta go. Bye.
Speaker 2: Bye.