Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live.
Speaker 4: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: Touchdown six second past two twenty day Texdowns.
Speaker 5: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in.
Speaker 4: The SWBC studios. Welcome in, everybody. Give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 2: Give us a call right now, because it is a Talking Tuesday and we are going to talk to Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 4: We've got Patrick no C.
Speaker 2: Walker, We've got Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yours, Chris Beam and the back. I'm Kyle Yeomen's glad you are with us. Tommy, you're such a rookie that that's your home going on, that's your phone.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Someone's computers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody's playing one O five three the Fan, the official flag tip station of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, Chris.
Speaker 2: It's almost like we're we were listening to Jerry Jones on the fans trying to the news send the notes.
Speaker 4: You thought you did, I thought you did. It's okay, it's fine. It happens to the best of us. Except for Patrick. It never happens never. I'll strive to be better. How's everybody doing today?
Speaker 6: Or by good excellent man. It's a talking Tuesday. We talk to the fans today.
Speaker 1: My favorite, my favorite day of the week.
Speaker 6: My favorite people on Earth.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah. They seemed like a little this week. Maybe here's the thing. I've got a bone to pick.
Speaker 1: Picket with the fans.
Speaker 4: Okay, with the listeners of this show. I love the listeners. You guys are family. I love all of you. But sometimes family family has a little bickering that.
Speaker 2: Goes back and forth, even on the win, a win like what the Cowboys have thirty four to twenty six over the Commanders this week the galvan I yes, we have some fun. I saw some hate in the comments section of YouTube yesterday.
Speaker 4: Hate for what not for any of us, Oh not for any of the for once. Yeah shocker. No, it was a hate for a nickname. A nickname that's supposed to be funny, that's supposed.
Speaker 2: To make people smile, give a nice break to the work week or the sports fandom, and just give a little chuckle here and there.
Speaker 4: There was hate for Turpy Turpey speed Speed in the YouTube comments yesterday, and I am not here for it. I'm not here for it. Have some fun, lighting up a little bit, have a laugh every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Turpy Turpy speeds Bee is a hilarious nickname, okay, And it's not supposed.
Speaker 4: To be a real nickname by it.
Speaker 6: It's not a real name for one. And like the muscle hamster existed, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That that was a nickname, wild nickname.
Speaker 6: The refrigerator existed, great nicknames. That's it's not exact kitchen, the kitchen we got the kitchen, the kitchen. I'm just saying, man, it's just having fun.
Speaker 1: Just just it's having fun.
Speaker 6: We're not putting it on a T shirt.
Speaker 4: We could, I mean we could, and.
Speaker 2: Honestly we should because it's because it's hilarious. Turpy Turpy speed Speed is. It doesn't have to be a movement. Even though it is a movement, it is a movement.
Speaker 6: If you check Twitter.
Speaker 4: Twitter.
Speaker 6: It's great, but shouts to the fans that like get it and are having fun with it. It's not a serious thing. And then also it's an inside thing for talking cowboys listeners. That was a training camp, that was a training kit versus me.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was like that was your thing and given it. Listen, just let it flow, just let it right because it's fun now.
Speaker 1: I mean it's fun now.
Speaker 6: And on top of that, it's like nobody's using sorry Chris, no one's using the torpedo in the comments.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 6: It's more club.
Speaker 5: I've seen my Turbo Turp though I've seen a few times. I've seen Turbo Turp.
Speaker 4: It's going to go mainstream this weekend. Trust me. Yeah, Turbo Turp Torpedo.
Speaker 6: Chris Beam is going to cheat. Go ahead and tell him, Chris.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to cheat. I'm just gonna talk to my buddy. Who's your buddy, Kevin Burkhard Yeah, Hey, hey, I got an idea for you. He takes off. I just needed to drop torpedo. What happened, man?
Speaker 7: I think Kevin Kevin Burkhart speed speed bumber.
Speaker 6: Stem from this podcast. I'm not even taking credible that's what would be Cowboys original.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy says, am I the only one that thinks the Turpin nickname is corny.
Speaker 4: No you're not. It's supposed to be corny.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Turpin it's like reading mean comments on whatever.
Speaker 8: The brutally bad, not remotely close stop other than that fun weekend the in the return of the fan page turpentime, that's it, dot dot dot.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: I bought the fight ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 6: Giving in, not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: See, but this one, this guy gets it. Not gonna lie, I said Turpy Turpy speedsby when he ran the get back. That's what it's about. It's supposed to have fun with it.
Speaker 2: So let's not get too riled up about a dumb nickname, because it is a dumb nickname.
Speaker 4: But it's funny. It's supposed to be a laugh. So I just had to get that off my chests.
Speaker 6: The joke is always funnier when you have to explain the joke, you know, always.
Speaker 2: But see now it turns into an inside joke for not only those that were there during training camp, but from this point moving forward.
Speaker 4: You can be a part of the fun with us.
Speaker 2: So here's speeds or if you want to get on the torpedo bandwagon, and Kevin Burkher says it this week.
Speaker 4: Just know that came from Chris.
Speaker 6: Beams and that's that's also this podcast also attacking Cowboys originals.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, or next time, tune in beginning in training camp and you wouldn't be trying to figure out in November.
Speaker 4: We got a long way to go for it.
Speaker 1: Cam from I mean, like if they if they had tuned in and were real ones. Yeah, they had tuned in for a minute, the real ones.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to the podcast when this team is four and seven, there's still real ones.
Speaker 4: I guarantee you.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I thought the fight I lost, it happens. Have fun with it now, go forth. No no reason to get all routed up and pissy. But there are a lot of other things to be mad about.
Speaker 4: All right, What do we got for some Newsy Newsy notes notes?
Speaker 6: I got one go. We have Sports Center's own Kyle Yeomans on the show. Hell out to Kyle Yeomans. Hey, I'm surprised you were able to sit in the building with a head that.
Speaker 1: You could say.
Speaker 4: I just I've had to get in it already. I get another door anyways. Yeah, yeah, it's not like it's any bigger if it would just pop from that.
Speaker 6: Point for sports Center used a Kyle Yeoman's tweet in a graphic yesterday, yes and it.
Speaker 5: Was about the Cowboys that you did yesterday. Yeah, it was the one where I screamed shot with turbo Turp. Yeah, I take the ail, but I'm not saying the name it was.
Speaker 2: It was thirteen to nine with five forty one left, and it was right before the Scoon Maker touchdown and I screenshot it just I was rewatching the fourth quarter yesterday before the podcast that one. You tweeted it and said, I just put it out there and I said, this game ended thirty four to twenty six in regulation. One guy was like, you can't end thirty four to twenty eight or twenty six in overtime. I'm like, that's not the point. The point is the fact that there were forty one fourth quarter points scored and it was just wild madness that happened afterwards, and that we kind of blew up.
Speaker 4: Sports Center just clipped it and put it on some content. That's all it really was.
Speaker 6: Will Deserve rolls made talking Cowboys for Sports Center.
Speaker 4: Buddy, I got to get Isaiah's people to get me in that building. First. He's out in La so we got a little bit of work to do. Made it on March Madness last night. Yeah, it was fun. It was a good game.
Speaker 1: Texas.
Speaker 4: Take it down.
Speaker 5: Organ stay to the Alphabet Network, trying to to trying to look at you. Shouts out to Cole and Scott van Pilt. The two guys had credibility to the Alphabet Network, the.
Speaker 4: Only two guys so.
Speaker 1: So news and notes.
Speaker 5: All right, So Cowboys had a walk through on yesterday, obviously on a short week, so take all of this with a grain of salt. With the exception of Jake Ferguson remains in the concussion protocol unlikely to take the field against the Giants on Thanksgiving. But as I go down the remainder of the list, again, keep in mind this was a walk through. Cowboys are trying to manage their guys physically as much as they can with a four day work week. So doron Bland, he was limited, that's good news. Showed that he didn't suffer any kind of setback that would preclude him from taking the field against the Giants. Brandon Cooks was limited with that knee issue. Yes, was it yesterday? I believe it was yesterday. Stephen Jones said that Brandon Cooks has a very good chance of returning from injury reserve on Thursday against the Giants, so that might happen.
Speaker 1: Keep that in mind.
Speaker 5: Trevon Diggs was back at practice allbeating the limited capacity, so good news after he was ruled out at the last minute against the Washington Commanders with a groin and the issue that popped up late last week. We got Jay Fergson. He's going Kendricks. He did not participate with the groin and shoulder issue. We'll see what that looks like today on the injury report when the Cowboys actually have a padded practice. Marshawn kneeling, he did not participate. We'll see if that's a setback or if that's just rest, because that was his first game back, so it's likely just rest giving him a chance to reset as much as possible. And for the most part, Austin Richards is actually the the headliner here and we'll get back to him in.
Speaker 1: The second coporition. Individual. All right, so Austin Richards, I'll end with him.
Speaker 5: He suffered what Stephen Jones described as a high ankle sprain, more bad news for the Cowboys offensive line. The good news is that Stephen Jones intimated that Tyler Smith has a solid chance of taking the field against the Giants. So it might be a swap situation where you get Tyler Smith back, but you lose Austoin Richards, which you know, a swing tackle who has shown you some things in a limited sample, just.
Speaker 4: A swing lineman at this at this point, yeah, we moved.
Speaker 5: Around, So losing him that's another blow as you try to get too many doga kind of ramp back up into the situation.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's also big because Tyler Guiden missed a couple of snaps in that game, twelms to deal with that shoulder issue, and Zach Martin we don't know yet that he will play in this game.
Speaker 5: So Cowboys offensive line just continues to be ravaged by injury. But like I said yesterday, brock Hoffman, TJ. Bass stepped to the center of the stage because they had a sensational game against one of the best defensive fronts in the league, and now they're going to be tested again when Dexter Lawrence comes to town. But they've seen Dexter Lawrence at least Cooper BB has in the first matchup. So at least Cooper BB has an idea of how to match up against Dexter Lawrence.
Speaker 4: How did that go in the first matchup?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Cowboys one?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, twenty to fifteen?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Back in week fourth dub That is a dub dube.
Speaker 1: Just Lawrence is a beast, but oh he's an absolute alien.
Speaker 4: Wonder what the pressures actually looked like el game. I.
Speaker 7: I was listening to something earlier today and I think it was a stat from last year where for interior defensive linemen there was a point in the season where the second leading pressure's interior defensive linement had six Dexter Lawrence had like thirty four.
Speaker 4: It's like, how how so you.
Speaker 7: Know when you look at this injury report, I think what I'll be watching all week is the offensive line, specifically that interior. You know, Patrick just talked about how Brockoffman, TJ. Bass Cooper BB that interior three gave up two pressures last week against the Commander Thief in front. That's that's pretty solid. I think the Giants with Lawrence alone give you a little bit more of a test. But another good point made in that they've already seen it this season, but TJ. Bass and brock Hoffman haven't seen it this season. That was Tyler Smith and Zach Martin. So obviously you want to get your all pros back in there. Whether or not they do will be one thing. And then going to Tyler Geydon, there's another challenge out there with Brian Burns coming off the edge for New York. But when Geydon was on the field, he played pretty well. I would say I thought he played one of his better game outs Outside of I think the knockback is the penalties, and that's something that has to be fixed. I mean, I don't know if that's a mental thing or technique or what it is, but you know, you shouldn't have to make sure that you're a line on the line of scrimmage as a tackle. You know, usually wide receivers go over give the thumbs up to the official. But you know, Tyler Goyden played well, so this will be another test for him. But if he starts piecing things together and the penalties get better, then I think we might start to see that.
Speaker 4: Growth over there.
Speaker 2: Went back to Week four, last time that BB saw Lawrence and the only guy that could be in the fold upfront for the Cowboys this week, but did not allow a pressure. However, he did have over his fifty six snaps at center, he had his lowest run blocking grade of the year.
Speaker 4: And one of his higher pass blocking grades of the year.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he was blocking well as far as passport was correct concerned, not allowing Dexter to get those pressures and disrupted backfield.
Speaker 1: But had a hard time moving Dexter.
Speaker 4: Shocker, I'm not dumb.
Speaker 1: This is my shocked face.
Speaker 5: You couldn't move Dexter Lawrence. Now that's that's a challenge, man, That's an absolute challenge. But I mean he won, he won the war in the end, Cooper was I mean Cooper BB. He ended up with the wind and he kept Dak Prescott clean. So, and again we can't overstate this. This is a guy in Cooper BB who is transitioning to center and he's doing it at the end of fail level as a rookie.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: And he only allowed one pressure from Dexter Lawrence and I'll take it.
Speaker 2: I think that as well, that same thing can be applied to Tyler Goyton to a certain extent as well.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you were to take Tyler Goyiten's first round tag, I saw somebody ask this question on Twitter.
Speaker 4: But if you were to take his first round tag.
Speaker 2: And the fact that he was a first round draft pick and switched it with Cooper Bebe, how would you feel about their seasons in vice versa, I think we would be more critical of Cooper Bebe. We would, and we would be less critical of Tyler Goeydon, just plain and simple as human nature.
Speaker 4: First round, third round pick.
Speaker 2: Of course, however, both guys are making position changes, both guys are taking a step from the Big twelve to the NFL. It's going to be a learning curve. And I think, like what Tommy just said, when you look at the film of Tyler Goeydon, he's showing improvement, and that's what you can you can count on because he's it's not like he's showing steady I mean, it is steady improvement, but it's not like it's marginally worse than anybody else whereas like for instance, and this is just putting Mazzie Smith back on highlight. But Mazzie Smith was never good enough in the NFL to say, hey, that guy's doing work. Up until Week four against New York. That was the only time we looked at it and said, that guy looks like he's worth the first round pick. There are times when you look at Tyler got In and say, okay, I can see why he was worth it the first round pick. He's just got a long way to go from a consistency standpoint, from a technique and a penalty standpoint to get to the level that you anticipate.
Speaker 4: But you don't expect him to do it as a rookie.
Speaker 2: Not everybody is Zach Martin, Not everybody as Tyler Smith. Not everybody is Tyron Smith. You don't always have that level of success. You've had some good stuff from bbing Geiten. In a year like this where nothing is going right, I think you can hang your hat on the fact that you have two offensive linemen upfront that are taking steps in the right direct.
Speaker 6: Well, look at Tyler Smith's first season at left tackle, like it wasn't perfect. It wasn't perfect. He had them ups and downs and then it wasn't until he moved to left gar where everyone's like, move him to a left tackle, like, this guy's amazing. I think you're also giving Cooper BB the benefit of the doubt because he was where he was drafted, third round pick, third round pick, and everyone's like, oh my god, he's a steal. This is great, And any of the mishaps with Cooper BB have been kind of downplayed because of his position in the draft.
Speaker 1: And Cooper BB was also a gift.
Speaker 5: To keep that in mind, he was part of the trade package, ended up betting Tyler guy and end of the pick that they got with the Tyler guy and they got Cooper Bby.
Speaker 1: So there's also that.
Speaker 5: But I would also say this, there's a lot to be said for especially a first round pick, especially a first second round pick. Those Day one, Day two guys, this is the longest football season of their lives. Yeah, because they go from playing at the college level to the bowl game. If they make the bowl then immediately kicking the pre draft preparation right, So if they have an invite to the East East West Shrine Bowl, and then if they go to the Reese's Bowl, and then gotten was a senior Bowl Guy and then combine, and then you go to the draft, the draft, and on the other side of the draft you have Rookie Mayning, Rookie Minni Camp and then it goes from there this mandatory minute camp and I was training camp.
Speaker 1: At what point did they actually have a break.
Speaker 5: And I'll also keep in mind, and we praised Tyler Guiding for this, and you can't praise the men criticize him for it at the same time when it other works one way or the other. We praised him for when he said he didn't take any days off this summer. Right when we talked to him at the open at the beginning of training camp, he said that he was across the street with our good friend Duke Minnieweather of Oil Masterminds for the entirety of that six week stretch from mandatory mini camp in mid June to late training camp, preparing, preparing, preparing. But that also means that his body never got the rest. So when you start to see over the course of these last several weeks, it's this injury, it's that injury. It's this nagging, that nagging. I say all of that to say I fully anticipate if you take into account his trajectory, how he's improving on a week to week basis. When the off season does arrive, I advise him to get some rest and reset, and when he does health I believe his year two will be markedly better than his year one. I think as far as the penalties go, he's in his head because he's over compensating.
Speaker 1: He's hurting the shoulder. It's this.
Speaker 5: He's worried about making the next penalty. So then when you do that, you know what you end up doing, getting a fuck getting a freaking penalty.
Speaker 1: Oh so, so there you go. Do it, Jim.
Speaker 6: Here, and I'll talk of that. Dealing with as many injuries as has been dealing with all seasons, it's significant. Yeah, he's obviously gridding through a lot of it.
Speaker 2: I think we're all looking forward to a second year now. This is probably a peek ahead at the draft show commerce down the line. But is it gonna be at left tackle or is it gonna be at right tackle for Tyler Guy in year two? All right, when we come back here on Talking Cowboys, we will go into a talking Tuesday, Talking Tuesday. We've got some callers on the line, already eight eight, eight, eight, five, five, two two nine seven, be a part of the show when we come back right after this with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 4: Jim, if you're.
Speaker 2: Looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a.
Speaker 4: Bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 3: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five D requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you forty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official minskin care brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold.
Speaker 6: Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet.
Speaker 12: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This portion of the show was brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 6: Buy your oats on the Interweb using the quake ar code in the corner right over there.
Speaker 1: Sick sick, sick full.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe a little bit further down like that way. Yeah, there you go, right there.
Speaker 1: Quake on the Internet.
Speaker 4: It's on the Internet, Quaking Quaky oh.
Speaker 1: Via DN via drone delivery.
Speaker 4: Yep. All right, it's time for Talking Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We've missed you, guys, We've missed the callers. Didn't get to do it last week. We're doing it on a short week this week. First caller, we go out to the West Coast. We go to sunny San Diego, California.
Speaker 9: MO.
Speaker 4: You're on Talking Cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 9: Mo? MO? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 13: I'm so excited to be on with y'all man as like family. I'm listening so much to y'all doing this rough season, so I want to jump in real quick, try to give like a quick scenosis on how I feel like we got to this point and where it looks like going forward, and then a couple of one last statement here about the team paints right. So when I look at this season and I look at how we got here, first you have dan Quinn leaving, and he took two things, some of our players, our depths, and then he took the system, and we're built for that system. So once you take those players away, now you got your starters, but you got young guys and unproven guys behind them, and you're banking on your starters to be legit as they are, but then they start getting injured. As they start to get injured, now you have young guys and high leverage positions, which you guys are just talking about with Guidon and BB. They're all in high leverage positions and they're learning on the fly, and we have no depth because we lost it all when they left. So now you have these players in these positions, well, we're struggling to score because we have always had a team that has had a lot of explosive players, and we score our points a lot of different ways. It hasn't been death by paper cut when you just march down the field, don't make any mistakes, ten play drive. It's always been explosive plays. Whether it was Tony Pollard, whether it was Cooks, even Michael Gallup, he's gone. He used to make chunk plays. We didn't have to worry about a lot of penalties because we've never been good with penalties. But when you score in five plays, you don't have to worry about that. And even on defense, you're looking at to pick six. I mean, Brian Bland and digs, they're like an offense to themselves, right. We're getting points from that. We're getting points from strip sacked, strip sack fumbles. All of that matters when it comes to how quickly we're like downhill on a team and it's like an avalanche once we get going.
Speaker 9: But we've never been a.
Speaker 13: Team that just methodically moved the ball and scored. So when you take all those players away from injuries, from depth and everything from youth, that's why we've struggled so much. But now you see in this last game, you get Gland back, Now Micae's back, you start to see kneeling come back. You see some of the young guys stepping up. Now you can see where the explosive plays come. Of course you got kevanke Turpin and so now you see what we can score in a different a lot of different ways. And it takes a lot of pressure off the team to have to go ten plays and ask Tyle a guy and who's a rookie, to not make a mistake and not get behind the sticks. So I do see where this can help us long term because we've had to play so many dudes and so many high leveled positions early on, and it's going to pay off at some point, no doubt. I really think it's going to pay off.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you Mode for the call. As always, he brings the heat in that ROO in that discussion. The only thing I think I had a disagreement with because I think he's right about most of that ninety five percent of it.
Speaker 4: The one thing he said was this was this team was built for the system of Dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: Just a reminder this team was at least from a roster standpoint, a lot of these guys were already there when dan Quinn was hired.
Speaker 4: The only real difference was Micah. I mean Micah coming in and then dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: Took the talents of a lot of these guys Trayvon Diggs for one, Micah in that draft class. He took the talents of those guys and molded it, molded his system to the guys. So it was a custom system that worked out for DeMarcus Lawrence there too, some of the guys at the second level at the time.
Speaker 4: I know now it's since then it's kind of switched a little bit.
Speaker 2: But yes, he took the system with him to Washington and he took some guys with it to try and implement that system in Washington. But I guarantee he's doing the same thing with the commanders that he did here. He's trying to fit the system to the player and I think that's where my biggest knock early to Mike Zimmer was agreed.
Speaker 4: There was not a big.
Speaker 2: Mold of this system of Mike Zimmer system. It was more so molding the players into the system as opposed to vice versa, which is what Dan Quinn did. I think now we're starting to see with guys coming back and with players starting to take a step forward from injury, you're starting to see that system mold a little bit to what you have from a personnel standpoint, and that's why the defense has played better of the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: And I would love that because I was right there with you.
Speaker 5: As far as Mike zimmer scheme, it was a whole lot of trying to force the guys to too much fit and.
Speaker 4: It's still not perfect. It talks about Donovan Wilson, but a lot.
Speaker 5: We've seen and we've lived through the Rod Marinelli era right where it was a whole lot of it's not about the talent, it's about the scheme, and that's how you end up using a first round pick on a guy like Taco Charlton. Sorry for the you know, I know you guys gonna have a trumber response to that. But when you talk about Dan Quinn, it was more about the players versus what the scheme was. It's like, here's my scheme, but if this scheme doesn't work for this particular player, then lets Donald was the next on an example of that, right, and so to your point.
Speaker 1: I do agree with that.
Speaker 5: I would love to see just can we get dan Quinn's system and Mike Zimmer's system in a lab and just get like this amalgamation of both because dan Quinn had it figured out with the takeaways in the past rush and Mike Zimmer has it figured out at the linebacker corps. But dan Quinn couldn't figure it out at the linebacker corps. Now, injuries didn't help, but he also didn't place an emphasis on linebackers like Zim does. So let me just get those two together and sprinkle in some improved run defense and super Bowl Baby.
Speaker 9: That's what the.
Speaker 2: That's what the excitement was in training campus, because that's what we thought we were getting. We thought we were going to have a sprinkle of dan Quinn and a little sugar and spice of Mike Zimmer in the science lab and piece it all together to make it something special at the very end.
Speaker 4: And I don't think we got that.
Speaker 1: We didn't get that.
Speaker 4: Well, I still the end of the year coming. You can get to that point, but it's starting. It's not going to be the same. Sorry, I mean to cut you off.
Speaker 7: I think part of the reason why, too, is We've heard some players talk about this earlier in the season, where Mike Zimmer's scheme is one that takes some time to learn. You have to learn what your keys are, you have to learn where you need to be on the field, and so it's a matter of getting guys up to speed to where they feel like they can play the game at a high level, at a faster level, excuse me, and just play fast instead of thinking too much. I think sometimes with this defense early on in zimmer scheme, they're just thinking too much. So you mix the fact that you've got to adjust to that even with your veteran guys. But like most said, you've got to influx a young players playing now too. So young players it's their first NFL scheme that takes time to learn and play confidently. And so that's just kind of this big mix of things that you've got to factor in with what you've seen with this defense so far. The good thing is they've put together a string of good games. I think last Sunday was their best one so far. Now the question is and you continue to build off it, and they've got an opportunity to do that against the Giants on Thursday.
Speaker 5: And the edit problem is that you're running out of time. As we have this conversation, Zimmer is not under contract beyond twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: You have six games left.
Speaker 5: You'd love to see that it's coming together and we're seeing the adaptation to more of the you know, Jimmy's and Joe's than the ex'es and o's. But I mean, you are quite literally running.
Speaker 6: Out of time, and you're starting to see the players play in position now when earlier on in the season they were talking about Jordan Lewis heavily talked about players that were playing superhero ball and playing out of position and not paying attention to the details and not trusting the scheme and the system around them, right, And I think now you're starting to see that a little more.
Speaker 1: I like to see it.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jones had an interesting answer today on one O five three The Fan. He was talking with Sean and RJ and they asked him about the coaching situation and Bobby asking about the coaching situation, and he was noncommittal at the at anyway, he was like, you haven't seen anything in my body language. This is paraphrasing, of course thing and by body language to indicate what we will be doing at the end of the year, which means I'm not resigning Mike McCarthy at this point, and I'm not moving on from Mike McCarthy at this point.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of football left.
Speaker 2: He's letting them play out, and he is not giving any indication of where he's leaning. I think we can all kind of infer based off of the earlier conversations what would mean how these these next couple of games stack out toward the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: But interesting answer this morning from Jerry on the fan.
Speaker 2: All right, give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Next caller up as Nebby and.
Speaker 4: Silver Stevy and Maryland or died Nebby? What's going on? Nebby?
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, guys, thanks for taking my call, and happy Thanksgiving to you all.
Speaker 4: Thanksgiving anybody?
Speaker 9: All right? Well, first of all, I want to say, uh, usually I just move on to the next game, but before I do, I want to say, Commanders fans always say we want Dallas, we want Dallas. Well uh they uh, we we beat them this past Sunday. So hopefully Commanders A fans will will will learn of the old saying, be careful what you asked for, because you just might get it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 9: I hope I'm not talking too much trash because I know we have to play them uh uh at the end of the season. And guys, I just want to say that that, even though I am obviously not and and an NFL head coach uh uh, I would like to believe that I that I have a good knowledge uh uh of the game of football. So therefore I try to have a coach's man tell it. So I just want to make it abundantly Claire that I am not a fan of tanking. Uh uh uh. I believe we should take things one game. Uh I believe we should take things one game uh uh at a time. Uh uh. See where that takes this and see where we are uh uh at the end of this uh season. I love this team. I love this organization, and uh I love everyone on talking Cowboys. Hey, take care, thank you so much for being patient with me, and have a great week. Bye.
Speaker 4: I love it, man, I love it. Here's the thing. He's in Silver Springs, Maryland, So what does that mean?
Speaker 2: He's in Commander's Country's mad in the middle of enemy territory. And so what did he say said, I'm gonna I'm gonna take a break next the last week, I'm gonna talk my trash. But guess what, as soon as this game is over and we've got a talking Tuesday, now, he's gonna get on the phone line and he's gonna say, you know what, Commanders, you get what you asked for.
Speaker 4: Be careful next time. And then he was careful in saying, we play him again.
Speaker 1: Yesterday. Yes, they play.
Speaker 5: Your trash right now, because yeah, they play them again and maybe it goes differently, which means it's all the more reason to talk your trash right now.
Speaker 1: The fact is they were the heavy favorites. They were at home.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys were up against every possible adversity you could have put them up against, and it was the Cowboys that came out on top of Hold on second, somebody's called it's the Commanders potential fraud. So yeah, the Commanders got what they asked for. They wanted Dallas, they got them. So it doesn't even matter if the Cowboys win the finale. The fact is when the when the Commanders really thought they were going to run through the Cowboys, they got ran through.
Speaker 4: I'll say this to go ahead, Josh.
Speaker 6: You don't see us after a win saying we want Washington, we want blah blah blah. Like it's just we're like John. We're like John Hamm and mad Men, where it's like, you know, I feel bad for you and we're just like I don't even don't even I don't even think about you.
Speaker 7: He made a good point there, and he's not a fan of tanking. Never there's fifty three guys down the hall who are right there with you, and I think they've made that abundantly clear this week, and seventeen on the many on the coaching staff, like sixteen the whole building, thirty media members. Yeah, I don't know about that, but there they're with you there, and you know, I'll say this too. I'm not saying that this is going to happen, because I don't. I don't think it will.
Speaker 4: But say with your chest, but.
Speaker 1: They've got a.
Speaker 4: Chance to stack some wins. What they have a chance to sack and wins here.
Speaker 6: I know you're Dallas cot was media buddy.
Speaker 4: I you're not supposed to give us a chance.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying they have a chance to tax and win.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 7: Their next four games are all against opponents with losing records, whereas their last one, two, three, four, five, six, seven I have been against teams with winning records. Wow, So you know you take that into account. Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: There's no coincidence.
Speaker 4: I probably won't pick for it to happen.
Speaker 7: But the opportunity is there, and you stick about this week alone, you have a chance to pick up two wins four days, four days. I mean that's in your division as well. So if they if they win this game against New York, you're three and one in the division. You're putting yourself in a good spot. Again, a lot of things are going to happen. If a lot of things are going to have to happen. If you want to talk about that word and starts with a P, but it's it's it's on the table, it's on the table.
Speaker 6: So you're saying there's a lance.
Speaker 5: Apparently apparently apparently I had I'm going to read this quote from one Ye Thomas. I had to sit down Q and A with one yesterday and I asked him specifically, what's his take.
Speaker 4: On ask him why he didn't go down I did.
Speaker 1: I did, I did.
Speaker 5: He said, next time you will, Yeah, get down there there. To sum it up, he said next time. He kind of smiled and he dropped his hand a little bit and he was like, yeah, next time. I'm going to see, Yeah, we do that next time. So listen, But I asked them about you know, what's the feeling when you hear fans getting pissed off at the fact that players are not tanking to help an organization get a higher draft pick. Here's what his quote was. Quote, our life is on the line. This could be our last year playing football ever. And for the people saying, oh, you should tank to get a better pick, what is that going to do for the people in this locker room right now busting their ass to stay on the roster, for guys like myself, undrafted, busting my ass to stay on the roster.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 5: That is why that statement is a perfect imagery of why players can't and never give a damn about a higher draft pick because they may this may be their last rep that they played. They might even be in Dallas next season.
Speaker 2: Listen, I think in terms of media, I am right there at the charge of I love the NFL Draft. I absolutely love it. It's one of my favorite parts of this entire job. I am not a tank minded individual. I will not ever condone tanking because the draft is such a wild crapshoot as it is anyways. I mean, we sit here through training camp through week one, or through the preseason through week one through week five through week ten, and we're all talking about these games. Win or lose, that is the name of the game. Those guys have more riding on the line for it, win or lose than we do because we're still here regardless. We're going to be here on Monday, whether or not they win on Thanksgiving or not. Either way, you gotta find a way to push your organization forward.
Speaker 4: I'm just not of the tanking mindset. I get it.
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 4: I host a show called the freaking Draft show called the Draft Show. I get it. I love having higher draft picks.
Speaker 2: I love the possibility and the higher probability of getting a dog up front. But at the same time, you build a winning of culture by only one thing winning, or a culture.
Speaker 4: Of winning by only one thing winning. That's all you do. So win the games, win the games, and you got some chances here, You definitely do.
Speaker 1: Players are going to leave it all in the field.
Speaker 5: Every game, every rep is a job interview, especially when you're an undrafted guy or a middle bottom of the roster guy, And if it's not an interview for this team, it's an interview for the next one team. These guys have families, they have new borns, they have significant others, they have that.
Speaker 1: They have to take care of.
Speaker 5: They don't care about your draft pick.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 4: Neither does the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Neither does the coaching staff a staff that isn't under contract right now for twenty five at all.
Speaker 1: What do they care about your draft pick? Nothing? Nothing.
Speaker 4: Tanking is never even an option. Not the case.
Speaker 2: There are so many people that I work with that have been on the Draft show before and that have been around draft coverage that are seeing they're sending jips on Twitter that are tank emojis.
Speaker 4: One tank that's slide through the snow. I've seen that. I've said that a billion times. Yeah, stop it.
Speaker 2: It's it's never gonna happen in this organization. It's never gonna happen on purpose. They may lose organically, but it's never gonna happen on.
Speaker 1: Funny thing is is people totally fine.
Speaker 5: They accused players of quitting early in the season, and now they want the players aren't quitting on the back end of the season.
Speaker 1: Take a lap.
Speaker 4: We've got an off season to talk about all of that.
Speaker 1: When we make a lap.
Speaker 4: Come to an end of the seventeen game marathon, all right, when we come back, give us a call. Eighty eight eighty five five two two ninety seven. We may have time for one more yabe eight five five two two ninety seven more talking Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: FIVED requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available. Seeatt dot com Slash five T for you fifty deals.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 6: But with that Texas heat, it's.
Speaker 10: Crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money? Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the Virtual Financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for qualit assurance, message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys Back, You're on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This segment has brought to you by in Visi Line the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Tommy Yarsh, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick No C Walker, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. We do not have time for another column or so. Unfortunately, we'll be back next week. Don't worry. Talking Tuesday Every Tuesday eight at eight eight five five to two nine seven. We've got our normal collars. Lately, we've had a lot of first time callers, which I really appreciate at this point in the season.
Speaker 4: Give us a call.
Speaker 2: If you've never given us a call, try it next Tuesday eight at eight eight five nine seven.
Speaker 5: Okay, Turkey and ham still on your breath. We'll bring it on, Bring it on. We'll talk about what your favorite dish was for Thanksgiving? What's your favorite dessert or just dish period. Let's the dessert dessert?
Speaker 1: Is it for dessert?
Speaker 2: I'm going sweep sweep tip. Yeah, I'm going We already kind of hit that, didn't we Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think was asking it, Yeah, but he was asking favorite food, favorite dessert. Let's go favorite dessert dessert.
Speaker 6: Yeah, soeper title pie would be up there. However, I really do like a pumpkin cheesecake swirl. Come on, man, interesting out here.
Speaker 4: Pumpkin cheese. That sounds bougie.
Speaker 1: This is back to the Lego whenever you interpreted it.
Speaker 2: You tell me, I feel like like that's back to the Lego conversation. We're not talking about like like a pumpkin pie thrown together.
Speaker 4: He's a pumpkin cheesecake, you know, but we're.
Speaker 6: Talking standard, standard desserts. It's going to be sweep.
Speaker 1: Every time you've seen that.
Speaker 5: Somebody actually tweeted it after this conversation, the Homer Simpson meme where he's in jewels and he's just.
Speaker 12: Hard, you know.
Speaker 7: I fel like you're putting pumpkin pie is the classic. I think my family has gone more to cheesecake here of the.
Speaker 4: Last couple of years. Fancy too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know about pumpkin swirld. That's a little advanced, but.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying we like it. We like a good like you find it at Robertson's. We like a good New York cheesecake.
Speaker 2: For that's.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's.
Speaker 7: That's that's what I get for for for probably blasting his ears at the start of the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you should have had that beginning, dude. Dude, I was looking for it. It wasn't the wrong menu. I'm like, dang, I miss this, So this is just forty one minutes late. That's all that's all it is. Yeah, what you dude.
Speaker 2: I have such a sweet tooth that I feel like it changes every year, like it really like, I love all sorts of sweets and I'm really not afraid to say it, like I have the worst sweet tooth possible.
Speaker 4: This year, I found myself really looking forward to the banana pudding.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 5: I'm really about to say I feel like you're about to say banana Yeah.
Speaker 2: I made the joke to Tommy a second ago, but like for real, like I cannot wait to eat banana pudding on Thanksgi, I cannot wait wait.
Speaker 1: Force kind of kick you into that craving.
Speaker 4: Maybe it made wife is.
Speaker 6: Really good the ones. It's like, I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 4: That's the second person that's compared me to that kid the last couple of weeks. I'm gonna say it. I love banana pudding.
Speaker 6: But no, I don't care that you broke your and my dad.
Speaker 4: My dad makes a phenomenal banana pudding.
Speaker 2: I've tried it. It hasn't worked out. Like tried to make it. It hasn't worked out the same. He's the one that he took took it from my grandma. Uh, and he's just he's the king of banana pudding.
Speaker 6: One last question, real quick lightning round. Favorite side go Baked mac and cheese, Baked mac and cheese.
Speaker 7: Same thing.
Speaker 4: I love mac and cheese, but I'm gonna say bean cheese.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: I love a good green bean cast role man, m it's good. That's another thing that changes over yere. Yeah, like all the time it used to be mac and cheese. Before that it was the stuffing. I love stuffing too.
Speaker 6: Like all day every day. For beige plates, I love it.
Speaker 4: I want zero color except for the green of green being cars. All right, that what was yours dressing? Dressing?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like I said, base plates, like your Thanksgiving plate has to be completely based with the side of green, you know, speaking of greens.
Speaker 1: We my family always puts collars in the Thanksgiving about.
Speaker 6: Kale, right, No, I said collars kale.
Speaker 2: By the way, before before we leave tomorrow, of course, is a say it with your chest Wednesday here on Talking Cowboys, the last time we'll be on the podcast this week before they'll lead you into the game Thursday against the Giants.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have the all encompassing preview.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go offense in the first segment, defense in the second segment, and then we're gonna make some picks in the third segment.
Speaker 6: Cheesecakes in the third segment two.
Speaker 4: Sure, if you want to bring the Pumpkins World cheesecake, I'm all for it.
Speaker 7: The day I'm not on the show.
Speaker 2: Uh, the guy who's not on the show currently allowed Tommy, can you please all tweet at him about the turtleneck that he is currently wearing on Good Morning Football?
Speaker 1: Just give you.
Speaker 2: It's pretty it's pretty significant. This is a change in his wardrobe. He is taking either a step forward or a step backward, depending on who you talk to. I'm interested to see talking. I'm interested to see what it is. I'm gonna give him some flat for it tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All Right?
Speaker 4: That does it for us?
Speaker 1: Warm mass Nick.
Speaker 4: For Chrispine in the back.
Speaker 2: Tommy ares great job filling in this week for Josh Rodriguez Patrick no se Walker. I'm Kyle Yeoman's will see you tomorrow with a saying with your chest Wednesday on Talking Cowboys. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.