Speaker 1: Welcome to tech Stuff. This is the story. Each week on Wednesdays, we bring you an in depth conversation with someone who has a front row seat to the most fascinating things happening in tech today. A conversation with David Spiegelholter, a professor of statistics at Cambridge an author of the Art of Uncertainty, How to Navigate Chance, Ignorance, Risk and Luck. Spiegelhlter has devoted his life to understanding uncertainty. After all, it's one of the most uncomfortable aspects of being human, particularly when it comes to our health. Since the nineteen seventies, Spiegelhulter has worked on algorithms to assist clinicians and patients make better decisions about what treatment options to take for cancer, and he has a deeply personal understanding of the topic. In nineteen ninety seven, he lost his son Danny to cancer at the age of just five, and the epigraph to David's book is a quote from the Bible. The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill. But time and chance happened to them all of course, with the explosion of AI, we now have better and better tools to help us understand the world and make informed decisions. And in fact, Spiegelhalter was an early pioneer of the technology. So that's why I decided to start our conversation. We live in this extraordinary moment where technology seems to be giving us more of a view around the corner into the future than it ever has. How has the march of technology impacted your work and your understanding these topics over your career?
Speaker 2: Oh a huge amount. I mean, we needn't get into the whole Asian methodology, but that's what I was interested in, and we couldn't do it because you just couldn't do the calculations. You couldn't do the maths. But instead of trying to do the maths, you just used brute computing force to simulate millions of different possibilities and look at their distribution and the algorithms we knew would converge to the correct answer if they ran long enough. You had to wait till nineteen ninety or so. Just before that technology that ability to do such huge simulation exercises was on everyone's desktop, and then there was an explosion and a complete change in the way statistics was done. Up to then people did clever maths and then programmed that in and it changed into no, we don't have to do any maths. We just have to program in the problem, the model that we're trying to solve, present the data to it, and send it off. And wait. But what I think you might be starting to allude to, which I'm sure get onto, is the role of AI. Our AI is already changing my I used a lot in writing the book, both in the researching and summarizing of literature and of course in the coding all the time. You know, I always rewrote everything, but I used it a lot. I use it all the time in my daily word, daily life. But actually, will it be able to make predictions? And I am rather skeptical about claims both that are sort of you know what, you might call it a global level, or a social level, or even at a personal level, about our health, about the ability of AI to make predictions.
Speaker 1: Your book has the epigraph from the Bible. How did you come up with that? Oh?
Speaker 2: By using AI to ask for quotes that use chants and things like that.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd actually for that one, I knew that one, but otherwise so yeah, I use AI.
Speaker 1: Well why that one? Why was that the first one that you used? Oh?
Speaker 2: I think because the whole book, and especially if we're the first chapter, which is about my grandfather, was intended to give the idea of the utter lack of control we have in our lives, and we have an illusion of control, which I think actually is not helpful. I think to realize that how little control we do have in our lives, how much of what happens to us is what, for want of a better word, we might call chance. In other words, events that will happen to us that were unpredictable and that you know, and that we had no control over. I think that's rather important to realize that. And because the word that appears in the book more than almost any other is humility. There's almost no mention of the word rationality in the book. This is not a book about being rational, It's a book about being humble.
Speaker 1: He mentioned your grandfather, and in the book you talk about how he survived various battles in World War One. You'll talk about your mother being captured by parents in the South China. See exactly and they're making it to the UK, where you should meet your father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who then nearly died in the Second World War as well.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got TB. I mean it was an illness and he was in the hospital for weeks, and he was a vat cuated from Jerusalem as he was there when he heard the Saint David's Hotel being blown up. So then you know, there so much could have happened to both of them. Then, as I mentioned in my book, the biggest chance event of all is my conception. It's not just me, everyone's conceptions. An extraordinarily unlikely of it so easily could not have happened. So me realizing that and researching the situation of my conception, it really made me. You know, it changed my whole attitude to life. In fact, it really did. It made me think, God, I'm here just by total chants in what I call these micro contingencies that just accumulated, and here I am. And so the idea somehow that I'm you know, on the earth for a purpose, or I'm you know, in any way special I find is now for me a complete illusion.
Speaker 1: When did you start getting interested in this relationship between poverty, statistics, and medicine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was interested in the mathematical aspects of statistics particularly, But then there was a job going and the funny the job going was in nineteen seventy eight, and it was to work on what was then called computer aided diagnosis. Well now we've called it AI. So nineteen seventy eight was using some basic statistical algorithms what is now called naive base simple algorithms. It's still around and used as a very basic machine learning algorithm, for example in a spam filtering or whatever. And we were doing that in the late seventies. So it's one of the first jobs to work on algorithms in medicine for both diagnosis and prognosis. We were working on the likelihood of someone with head injury surviving and so on. And because the computers you could even carry them around a thing. They were sat in the corner with a huge, great machine with a keyboards. It's incredibly clumsy to use, but we were doing that. And then in the early eighties I was working on more algorithms. Then we got into developments in AI and so on. So you know, this stuff is not new. It's been around for ages, what was predict addicted. It's still going because that's an algorithm for predicting the survival of women with breast cancer and men with prostate cancer, still available, hugely, widely used. It's a very good statistical algum, a regression algorithm. Of course, in practice, any actual clinician making a decision with the patient would use much more personal information that they might have the patient, because you know, for example, physical status doesn't go into the algorithm, and yet that might be you know, someone's basic underlying health might be incredibly important. So that's when we wrote the interface for a predict we try to emphasize not say this is the risk of this patient. It's just what would expect to one hundred happen to one hundred people who ticked the boxes that she did or he did. But actually people have tried different, more sophisticated machine learning methods and they don't make much difference. And so it's about as good as you can do. I think with the data that is available, you could always do better by collecting more data to and having a bigger, better database. It's going to be marginal marginal benefits just from using AI with the same data so the real you know, benefit in the future, of course, is just by having better data.
Speaker 1: So where did you say a few moments ago that you doubted that AI would be a useful.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean it's going to be marginal, marginal benefits just from using AI with the same data.
Speaker 1: What about other things like drug discovery.
Speaker 2: Or oh yeah all that, Yeah that's very important. No, no, then it's going to be great, huge, huge benefits there. Now I'm talking about predicting what's going to happen to me in the future, because I've got prospect cancer so I am quite interested in this. And of course when I got it, I looked at all the algorithms and which were sort of helpful, but they're very broad. All they do really is tell you what we would expect to happen to It is one hundred people who ticked the boxes you've ticked, and of course everyone is so different, Everyone's so different, so I know that that will give me a broad figure, but it's only a ballpark figure. It's still very useful until of my tenure survival, but one that I know could be changed by just having more information.
Speaker 1: So you spent your career trying to help doctors and patients make better decisions about what to do when a patient gets sick. But you've also lived this with your son Danny, this experience of how to make medical decisions in the face of horribly serious illness.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's interesting because I do think about that. We did some decisions and I'm not sure, you know, maybe we always say, well, maybe if we had taken him to these, to Canada or something, and that we could have got a different therapy. In a way, that's one thing I prefer not to dwell on too much, because you know, you don't know. But it has made me very aware of the importance of making informed medical decisions, and that's what I with my team we worked on those on providing decision aids, not in any way to encourage people to make any particular decision, but just as I mentioned in the book, I don't believe that decision theory and all the advances that have been done in that can never tell you what to do, because it assumes that you know all the possible outcomes, you know all the possible options, you know all the probabilities and the values, and of course this is totally infeasible apart from the simplest sort of gambling type examples. You never know any of these things. You never know how you're going to feel in the future if something happens, and so on. So it's impossible to be rational in those situations and use decision theory. But I think it's really helpful to try to examine the problem to face up to a decision has to be made. One of the biggest problems about decisions is that people don't actually make decisions. I don't you just go. You just find yourself going down a path, and you never just stop and say, this is a decision point. There is a branch in the road. We have to choose which way to go, and sometimes you can recognize those points, but they're few and far between, and so would I love to encourage people to actually have much more of those decision points. This is the time we have to make a decision. These are the possibilities, the benefits and harms of the options that face you. We're not going to tell you what to do. We might be able to put some rough probabilities. For example, for women in breast cancer, we've got such a lot of data we can actually produce reasonably good ten year survival rates and what the benefit would be if you had chemotherapy. So, for example, in Cambridge, unless you your absolute survival benefit is going to go up by three percent with chemotherapy, they don't recommend chema therapy because that means essentially that of all the people that give chemotherapy, out of thirty people, only one will benefit after ten years. Only you get one extra ten year survivor for thirty people being given to chemotherapy, which can have a really awful effect on people. And by producing those numbers you can get a feeling that well, you've got to have a reasonable benefit in order to take the hit of the tree. So in those situations, I think it's really good. You can't do it this exactly to some idea of what the benefits might be. But on the whole, you know, it's difficult to do that in situations where you havn't got all that data and all that analysis, all that tech behind.
Speaker 1: It coming up. Is it possible to predict murder? Stay with us? Well, it just is remarkable to think that kind of Hiding underneath all of these numbers and statistics and maths are so many life and death decisions. And the other thing I wanted to ask you about was your work on one of the most prolific serial killer cases of all time, the Herald Shipment case. Just for a US audience, can you explain that case and what your work on it was.
Speaker 2: Harold Shepman was a family doctor who, over a twenty year period, murdered at least two hundred and fifty of his patients and possibly up to four hundred without being caught, of course, until he finally, rather stupidly forged, rather badly, did a rather bad forgery of a will in order to inherit some money. Absolute madness. And it was this a woman whose daughter was a solicitor and looked at this willness, it just didn't believe it. And so suspicions rose, and finally he was arrested and they exhumed the last fifteen patients that had died, and they all had incredibly high levels of diamorphine heroin essentially in their bloodstream. I mean, he only got away with it because there were never any post mortems. There's many old people and they liked him. He was a very trusted family doctor for many people. He did a lot of home visits, and that's of course when he murdered people. So when when someone went back and looked at all the certificates of the time of death, for most people, people died all times of the day and night, the sort of uniform distribution of the twenty four hours, Harold Shipman's deaths had a great, huge spike between around one to three in the afternoon when he did his home visits.
Speaker 1: And what was your involvement personally with the case.
Speaker 2: There was a public inquiry because the families quite really on other people ask how do you get away with it for so long? It's an absolute scandal, And the public inquiry, I think very sensibly brought in quite a substantial team of statisticians to look at the data, which like the time of death data, but also the deaths of all his patients when they had occurred, how it compared with other doctors, how many would have been expected, compared with how many ratually observed. And we used sort of fairly standard industrial quality control methods to work out when you could have spotted with considerable confidence when something al was going on. So it's like industrial quality control methods spot when a production line is going out a bit out of kilter. They would have been developed over decades, and we used those for his death rates and worked out he could have been caught after about forty deaths, or he could have been identified as being odd. In other words, someone could have done an investigation. Now, Shipman, when the algorithm that we developed was applied to a thousand other gps without their knowledge, there were six who as bad as Shipman.
Speaker 1: I used many deaths on their watch.
Speaker 2: Exactly why do you think that was? They were really good gps who were working in retirement communities and who were enabling their patients to die at home rather than going to hospital by being really good caring gps, and so they were signing a lot of death certificates. And these were really good people, but they had very high death rates. So I used this as an example all the time about how statistics is about correlation not causation. You know, if someone has got a high death rate, it's an indication that someone perhaps should look at the data, but you cannot conclude the cause for that.
Speaker 1: Well, just in the last few weeks, the UK has announced an algorithm to predict the likelihood of committing murder.
Speaker 2: Well, those algorithms have been around for ages, but the chance of predicting someone, all you'll do is find a small change in odds. You're never going to be able to predict an event like that. At an individual level. You'll be able to predict someone's at someone it's slightly increased risk. But there's so much puff befind these algorithms to make it. You know, they get headlines, but actually I'm deeply skeptical about their actual ability and certainly to predict events like murders.
Speaker 1: You spend quite a bit of time working on public inquiries and informing a public about various issues, and I think you have one of the most interesting, if not the most interesting title in British academia Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk. Can you talk a little bit about what that means?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I am the one and only Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk because after I retired they renamed it when the next person got the funding. So this was a fascinating I'd been an academic and was doing okay, it'd got a good reputation, but fancied a change in direction from the normal business of writing papers and all that stuff, and then a philanthropist David Harding, a hedge fund manager, wanted to endow a chair in Cambridge that was to do with the improving the way that statistics and risk was discussed in society because he got so fed up with all the stories in the news and all the misunderstandings, and so he paid for this chair. And if you gave three and a half million pounds the University of Cambridge, you could have a chair of absolutely anything.
Speaker 1: And he had the good grace not to name it after himself.
Speaker 2: Exactly why it was the Winton. It was the Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of risk, so which was just fine because he was very good. I always give my career advice for young people now is to say, find a billionaire and get him to give you lots of money to do what you feel like, because he just gave the money and then completely hands off.
Speaker 1: In their capacity. What was the biggest misunderstanding you encountered about how the public understand risk?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, that's so difficult. I mean you could the absolutely standard one, of course, which the media don't help with is the difference between absolute and relative risk. So you know, the media stories are always full of oh, well, if you eat meat, it's going to increase your risk of bowel cancer by twenty percent or so on. And that's a relative risk. And I think it's actually true that actually red meat is some process meat in particular, is associated with an increased risk of bow cancer. And that's what gets in the headlines increase risk. I've got lovely, you know, headlines of the killer bacon soandwich and this sort of thing. But when you actually translated, and I talk about this all the time to schools audiences, when they hear a story like this, they want to know, well, you know, is this the big number? Do we care about this? And to know that, you have to know twenty percent of what, in other words, the baseline risk of which there is a twenty percent increase. Now, the baseline risk of getting boo cancer, sadly is about six percent, about one in sixteen will get it during our lifetime, sadly, and a twenty percent increase over those six percentage points is about seven percentage points. So that's out of one hundred people eating a bacon sandwich every single day of their lives, one extra will get bow cancer because of that. And that's a complete different way of reframing the story to make it look frankly fairly reassuring, especially if you like bacon savwiches. So it's a great example of this difference between relative risks and absolute risk because percentage, the word percentage is used for both. It's just in one you're talking about a percentage increase and the other talking about percentage points.
Speaker 1: When we come back, we break down the probability that AI could lead to human extinction. Stay with us. When the consumer internet boomed in the late nineties early two thousands and Google came along, you could either click Google Search or I'm feeling lucky and I'm feeling Lucky would bypass the search results and take you directly to a website. And this is basically a way for Google to flex and say like, this is how incredibly good we are in search. And they've since abandoned the I'm feeling a Lucky button, but actually, in parallel, the whole Internet in the last two or three years has become an I'm feeling Lucky engine in the sense that you now get a generative AI response rather than a selection of links to follow, or at least you get both. How do you see that incredible cultural shift of sort of outsourcing information, summarization and predictions to large language models.
Speaker 2: I think it's great. I'm a real fan of the AI summary. So as long as you know, just like using any large language model, you have to grasp the fact that it doesn't know anything at all. You know, it is. All it does is string words together and comes up with something that sounds plausible. Now maybe in fact, as we all know, it comes up if it talks about facts, it can be deeply wrong and say all sorts of things that are just incorrect. So it has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt when it's saying anything factual. When it's summarizing an argument, or perhaps you know, with a discussion on a topic, I think it can be enormously helpful. I mean, if you just ask it a fact, you know, what's the capital of somewhere, then it'll generally be right. But I think, as someone who's who worked on uncertainty in AI forty years ago, we thought we'd solved it in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Well, how do you think you've solved it?
Speaker 2: Oh, because then the model's much more We in the mid nineteen eighties, the way of actually handling probability, first within rule based systems and then within basian networks was really developed. It was extremely successful, but of course that's in much smaller networks.
Speaker 1: We're living in this extraordinary moment. I mean, Jeffrey Hinton has said there's a thirty percent chance that AI will drive human extinction in the next twenty to thirty years. There are rogue genetic scientists editing the human gene line. There is uncertainty about whether the COVID pandemic was you know, something creating a lab or something emerged organically. I muchine what you say is timeless. But how do you suggest navigating this particular scientific technological moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think again by trying to think coldly about it instantly. Jeff, when I mentioned working on AAR in the nineteen eighties, I mean I was. I was in Cambridge and Jeff was in Cambridge then, and we used to think, oh, poor, because Jeff was going around saying, well, these neural networks, one day they'll be big enough to really be able to act in an intelligent way. And we used to.
Speaker 1: Think poor Jeff.
Speaker 2: He's Gary is banging on about his networks again, Why didn't he just give up? Because he was right. It took a long time, but he was right.
Speaker 1: He was on tech stuff not too long ago. And I asked him, how did you count with the number thirty percent for the probability that AI will drive humans extinction? He said, well, I knew it was more than one percent and less than one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: It means a non trivial chance of this happening. Really, I think obviously there is a danger of tech. I mean in the book, I talk about surveys that have been done of people, you know, looking at the chance of existential risk to the population into the world in general and from tech. And because people do have judgments, like Jeff, does you know, I think it probably is a non zero. Probably we could argue about how big it was.
Speaker 1: How do you measure it?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, well you can't measure it. There's no measurement because it's not a number. There's no truth out there, so you can't measure it.
Speaker 1: So remember that, so you simulate different The best way to approximate with simulation.
Speaker 2: Or I wouldn't believe any simulated futures either. I mean, the simulating possible futures is fantastic method. We've used it all the time in prediction work, and that's what's done in a lot of weather forecasting as well. So but it's a good idea. I just don't think you'd you'd be so reliant on the assumptions in your models. No, these are personal judgments. But just like an intelligence analysts will be assessing probabilities even now about what will happen in the Russia Ukraine war in a year's time and things. So these are judgments that we should all be assessing. I think is really valuable to work in separate teams to come up with these judgments and the reasons for them. So I like this sort of exercise, and I'm glad you have put a number on it. I think my number would be considerably lower, but you know he knows more than I do. But so I think the crucial answers once we get to something that's what you might call a distinct possibility, what do you do about it? You know, where are the controls? You know that you need to think about where you don't just sit back as casual partisips or that many of us will be just an audience, but that's not true of the people working in this area, or the regulators, or the people who might be able to do something about it. So I think it does, as people, of course have said, you know, generate the question, well, okay, how can we reduce that probability?
Speaker 1: I want to bring us back to the book, I mean, which reads as a clarion call to learn to embrace uncertainty. I mean, is that a fair characterization. What do you hope that your readers will take away from this book?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I always say it's not a self help book, although see people do seem to get quite a lot from it sometimes of the fact that you know, by owning up to uncertainty, first of all, that it shouldn't be something to dread. We live with uncertainty all the time. We enjoy it. It'd be awful to be certain about everything. Can't think of anything worse to live alone. And I always ask audiences if I could tell you, would you know, want to know when you're going to die? And a few people would always just a few, they'd like to be able to plan and things, and that you know that somebody, but nearly everybody does want to know. You don't read. You don't look at you know, on a you know on a thriller series. You don't go for the last efforts to find out what the conclusion. You don't want to know the sports result before you see the match, if it's recorded. And so the point is that we live with uncertainty. I think we should embrace it. It will never go away, but there are ways to explore it.
Speaker 1: I want to close with this, David, you said recently, my wildest prediction is that people will stop making predictions.
Speaker 2: Mm. Well, that's the one I would love. And what I mean by that is predictions where they say what's going to happen. And what I want is the Jeff Hinton approach where you give probability, so what's going to happen? And those probabilities may be good. I think Jeff's a bit high. It may not be, but at least we've got something we know where they are. He's not saying it's going to happen or it's not going to happen. I don't care about whether someone thinks something's going to happen or not going to I couldn't care less. I wouldn't their probabilities of whether it's going to happen. That's why sports pundits when they're chatting on if you're just chatting casually, you might say, oh, I think this is the result. But of course anyone taking sports seriously doesn't say who's going to win. Going to look they work out the odds, because they're going to be going on to the betting exchanges and checking if they can get better. Okay, you know if there's differences between the odds they think were appropriate the odds being offered by on their betting exchanges. So serious sporting people only think in terms of probabilities.
Speaker 1: David, thank you so much for joining us today and tex stuff.
Speaker 2: It's been a real pleasure.
Speaker 1: For tech stuff. I'm os Voloscian. This episode was produced by Eliza Dennis and Adriana Tapia. It was executive produced by me, Karen Price and Kate Osborne for Kaleidoscope and Katrina Norvelle for iHeart Podcasts. Jack Insley mixed this episode and Kyle Murdoch Rudel theme song. Join us on Friday for the Week in Tech. Karen and I will run through all the most important tech headlines, including some you may have missed, and please rate and review the show in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and reach out to us over email at tech Stuff podcast at gmail dot com.