Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Merrindalk's Your Money, the personal finance edition of Merindalk's Money. In these bonus podcasts, we talk about the best strategies for making the most of your money. I'm Maren Zumset, Web Editor at Large for Bloomberg UK Money, and across the next two weeks, we aren't going to bring you highlights from a special broadcast we recorded at the Bloomberg offices in London on the fourteenth of July. It was an hour long panel focused on how the world of wealth management is changing, about the rise of next generation wealth clients and the growing role of alternatives in.
Speaker 3: Modern portfolio construction.
Speaker 2: The banelers were John Steppeck, senior reporter and author of the Money Disgital newsletter, Charlie Morris, chief investment officer and founder of byte Tree, a leading provider of investment research in traditional finance and digital. We also as Jean dam and Marie Global head of Investments for Barkley's Private Bank and Wealth Management. Here's the first part of our conversation. Thank you all for joining me today. Now we are going to define our terms. We are talking about the next gen of clients. What do we mean when we talk about the next gen?
Speaker 4: That's a good question, I think for us, next gen are you know, typically children who are really developing a sense of wealth.
Speaker 5: They're they're interested in investing.
Speaker 4: They're curious. Often, they're active. They're very active, and they want to be in control often and excited. And next gen for us is there's a period for our clients where it's about engagement and trying to understand them better.
Speaker 5: I think, OK.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about the newly well off young correct, yes, and be inherited, the beneficiaries of the great well trend wealth.
Speaker 4: Tund which is the big happening soon as we know. And yeah, they're learning, and they're they're they're passionate, often with purpose beyond returns. So capital is not the only thing that we discuss. There's a lot going on at family level, family dynamics, capital capital more than returns. So yeah, the discussion often with next gen goes in many directions. And what is the same as as the old gen is a sense of having some kind of gross end preservation at the same time, which is interesting. You see, it's a different dynamic than entrepreneurs are creating the wells. Often next gen for us are taking the wells and try to figure out what's going to be the purpose of that as wells for the next generation.
Speaker 3: Okay, excellently.
Speaker 2: We'll definitely talk about that bit more in a minute, but I want to continue defining our terms and ask you, John, perhaps to explain what we mean when we say alternatives.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all ternators are basically anything that isn't listed equity or listed bonds. So you'd be talking about private assets, private equity, private credit obviously in the news a lot recently. Also in the more kind of financial side of things, commodities pretty much every commodity either direct investment commodities are other ways into commodities, the derivatives like futures and options. And also I suppose in its slightly further away from the financial side, kind of like collectibles, so in trophy assets, so anything like art or wine or coins, even.
Speaker 2: Gems on gems, vintage jewelry.
Speaker 6: Vintage jewelry, anything that fits into the sort of almost like a kind of hobby turned into financial vehicle, classic cars, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Real estate. Did you mention in real estate?
Speaker 6: I mean real estate, Yeah, that is a form of alternative is probably in the cost I think, but yeah, commercial property would be the other one I mean.
Speaker 3: And also anything.
Speaker 6: That's somewhat less liquid I think you can almost think of like an alternatives is often something that's less liquid, although that's not always the case. Obviously, plenty of commodities up there for the liquid, and obviously gold is broadly an alternatives.
Speaker 3: And commodities we divide up between.
Speaker 2: You list listed miners for commodities, for example, would not be an alternative, but holding about a gold in your basement or buy proper uti would be an alternative. Yeah, yeah, okay, fair enough, right, Sarlie. There's one more alternative right which I'm slightly newer. Alternative is that a big one?
Speaker 7: That is that where that question is crypt in general?
Speaker 3: Okay, do pick up on I want to pick.
Speaker 7: Up on the definition of alternatives, and I would say that you could also talk about cash flow and non cash flow, So if financial and non financial assets. Yeah, and so you know, when you look at hedge fund, you know, I say, if it's long short equity or something, it's a strategy. It's not really an asset class. And I would say the same is true for many things like private equity. It's just a liquidity thing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: It's obviously long long term money and that sort of thing. But the true alternatives don't don't revolve around money. There's something else. So you've got the commodity sphere, you've got the digital asset sphere or the crypto sphere, and the collectibles that John pointed out, and also that you know, liquidity is essential to that. So when you look at the liquidity, you know, something like gold is the vast majority of the community market, and there's also oil, but of course there's not an investment, you know, oil, it's a future contract, whereas whereas gold can be held. And then again when you come to crypto, seventy five percent of all crypto is bitcoin, and twenty five percent of the other one million coins or however many there are, it's not bitcoin. And it's very similar to gold versus the above ground supply of gold against the above ground supply of of other commodities. So I just think that's a very good way to think about it. I think the financial service industry has been hoodworking people for years trying to call things alternatives. Put the fees up and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: But then not really can I pick you up them.
Speaker 2: Let's stop on private equity, which is constantly called an alternative. And John and I talk about this a lot on the podcast, and we say, well, private equity is just equity, just equity, that's more expensive.
Speaker 3: It's the same thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, I mean private equity, I mean it can be very good. But of course the just parity of returns in private equity funds is vast, whereas if you buy an index fund, everyone gets the same out. So there is a very different sort of fundamental thing going on there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but go back to crypto as Can I call it an asset class?
Speaker 3: Well, I think so they coin an asset class.
Speaker 7: Has it been granted permission from somewhere high up in financial circourse?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know what the rules are here.
Speaker 7: Well, there are rules, of course, and that is that if it's created by the Federal Reserve, the Bank of England or Golden Sacks or someone like that, then of course it's a legitimate thing. But because it's because it came from chaos, and it came from the cypherpunks and that sort of thing, it's never been accepted by the financial services industry. So that's it. It's where it came from. It came from the wrong the wrong postcode, and that's why they don't like it. And you know everything else that you know, if it comes out of Gonvi Sex, then it's always very good, you must buy it. And so there's that. But I think that is an asset class. Absolutely. It's something completely different. And you know, you go back to the history of asset classes. You know, we probably started off with I would think commodities must have come first, you know, the first loafe of bread, and then we progressed from there with debt and then equity in the thirteenth century or something, and then it really kicked off in Amsterdam a few hundred years later. And most of the other things aren't really asset classes. But crypto has come along. It is completely different. It is definitely non financial and it is definitely not equity or bond or commodity. It's something different. It's digital, it's very but it's real.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we know what it doesn't. It will come back to what it is. Yeah, we know what it doesn't.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: What's that We'll come back to use cases and all that in the minute we'll have we'll have a nice row everybody in about twenty minutes when we become of some of.
Speaker 3: The other stuff. Right, let's go back to actual portfolios.
Speaker 2: So maybe your older gen have classic, old fashioned or did at least have old fashions sixty forty portfolios, and apart from maybe a little bit in their vintage cars and jurry collections, they were very clear equity bond.
Speaker 3: But that portfolio construction is no longer the default.
Speaker 4: No, I think to Charlie's point earlier, I think we've seen really the adoption of more asset classes. We can give it with an assad classes later, but clearly today I would say the need for an extry terms and dovestication has led to portfolios being more than equities and bonds. Not new right, because we've been discussing headshants for a very long time. Pract equally in markets in general are more popular, so they are becoming really part of any asset education you can find on the street today. Being the question is the quantum and the question is how you access for what kind of returns? But this is usually back to either skills alpha or in liquidity premium one way or another. So today, yeah, I would say so for our own clients, if you come and you're not constrained and we can have a very very broad discussion, the starting point is going to come from what we call a holistic asset. That location discussion will come first and foremost with liquid liquid long only long short, and it will be a lot more than sixty foury for sure that we see increasingly going into I would say more mainstream portfolio. I think it's been the norm for a long while, right, a lot of families. I've been studying us En doughnuts for a very long time and tried, you know, to be as good as another topic we can discuss. And you see this kind of endoormant spirit now tricking down up to or down to very small portfolio because it's easier today to actually build a fifty fairly something.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's friddling down exactly the point where it's maybe not going to work so well anymore. Those in downward portfolios have work brilliantly during the great heyday of private equity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it depends on how it is an end.
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, Look for us, really the key part of the job is to define a plan like a goal and a plan for a plant, and plan that plants can survive over time.
Speaker 5: To your point on the way than the likes.
Speaker 4: I do think that if you can have the time to compound, which is such a wonder being long, you know, and full on equality risk is a good thing usually, whereas if your time arison is shorter, clearly should be a little bit less like in the US and no and at more yield in a portfolio. So I think, look, the toolkit is wider. What doesn't change is the need to get the right to advice and construct right portfolio so you get the right outcome. I think the problem you have is maybe there's a bit of fashion going on right and it's all about that thing or the other thing that may go to the lower and client, maybe not always for the right reason.
Speaker 2: And say, what's in fashion that maybe some people are having too much of in their portfolios.
Speaker 5: So well, a good question, I think the with the next gen.
Speaker 4: To Charlie's point, we've been having a lot of discussions on digital assets for sure that they own one way or another. I think most things, any interesting topic this is really probably something an asset class can debate, but it's really something that's all across the spectrum, like from very very wealthy families to actually mainstream investors because it's easy actually to get to it.
Speaker 5: Again, it depends how you want to get to it it. Yeah, for real crypto et cetera.
Speaker 4: So that that piece, for sure, I think the the more private market the it's all about the democratization right now of inequid stuff, which you know, for me, you need to stay true to having quality investment in those portfolio so you need to know what you're trying to harvest and what you're giving.
Speaker 5: Up for more equity on all the way.
Speaker 2: Okay, well let's let's imagine, all right, say, good argument that I'm a thirty year old investor now and I've come to you and I haven't really got any sense of what I want, but I know I'm a long time investor. I don't require much in a way yield at the moment. What am I going to get from you? Am I going to get budiocent equity, twenty percent bonds and forty in alternatives?
Speaker 3: How's it going to work? Is the very default that you have.
Speaker 4: So we have we have a framework and clearly a thirty year old. You know you've been an accumulation, so should be a really equity or his premium.
Speaker 5: One way or another if you are.
Speaker 4: And then question again is like what kind of inequality can you fall in bad times? You need to forecast for those bad times we've seen right back in the day, I used to be a secondary as well.
Speaker 5: It's good not to be shotcast. It's a good idea in general. So we built a plan you can survive in good time by times.
Speaker 4: So equality will be a big part, and the alternative part will probably be around the combination of equity or retain seeking portfolio type strategy, some more equality and a bit of diversification on the way.
Speaker 5: So but equality will be.
Speaker 3: Will be them.
Speaker 2: Even though we can label somethings alternatives, et cetera, et cetera, in the end, it's going to still be a majority equity.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a ninety ten in the end sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll define what the right cushion is for you so you can sleep at night.
Speaker 5: But the point we just made earlier around.
Speaker 4: Private equity, it's equity leverage right and equity again.
Speaker 3: And are concerned.
Speaker 2: I'm John and I have been talking about this, say, just the democratization of private equity is not not necessarily ideal.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, they's aiming, isn't it, because I suppose this is the other thing, isn't it? The like private equity benefited from ultra low interest rates for a long time, but also from the fact that it was small and I was big. And I think one of the things you were mentioning kind of made me think, if for toalking about ill liquidity, you should be getting rewarded for taking illiquidity risk. Obviously, it was at one point in this particular cycle that actually tipped and people were saying, actually, you were paying an illiquidity premium as a psychological buffer to stop you from taking your money out at the wrong time. And I just thought it was fascinating how it's so smoothly changed that the sale pitch went from being you're getting paid more for taking this eliquidity risk, so the eliquidity premium vanishing and saying, oh, that's because you're paying more for the psychological protection. And I have to say it left me a little bit skeptical about what the exact purposes of adding private equity to a portfolio of publicly listed, equally easily accessed liquid equities, and as.
Speaker 2: John always says, you know, if you if you want access to small companies in the UK at least inexpensively, boy, have we've got a deal for you a list of market.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think the no, you make a very good point. I think you know that. As we mentioned before, it's about being selective.
Speaker 4: You know, is it a good idea to invest in the private equity market overall?
Speaker 5: Can debate. Now we can see.
Speaker 4: People who've been able managers, who being able to actually deploy capital and actually make most of the return through operational improvement from story shops, less leverage, less multiple expansion.
Speaker 5: If you can repeat that over time, probably you're happy to.
Speaker 4: Pay for alpha over over over over better or equally better. Not your point, Yeah, I can see the point. I will always remember and point out a few clients towards the you know seven vintages, right, seven intagers you make money or so many people just time and get got out.
Speaker 5: Right, you made money because you were stuck. But I here's a good thing to be start with skills. I agree that's important. But yeah, I can see your point.
Speaker 4: I do think the again for the right portfolio with the right construction, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Is it the holy Grail? And you know the magic one? No?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, let's go back to crypto. Let's go back to a bitcoin. You know, we talk about gold a lot, right, John and I we talk about gold.
Speaker 3: We right aback, gold a lot.
Speaker 2: And when we talk about how much gold did you have in your portfolio, even if.
Speaker 3: You're a gold bug, how much should you have?
Speaker 2: And the answers comes down to and this is Amsbatian Lion at Troy always puts us very well. He says, you want enough for it to make a difference in a crisis.
Speaker 3: Right, So one percent isn't enough, Two percent isn't enough? Question what is enough?
Speaker 2: So in a crisis, you want your portfolio to have enough that you know it saves you two degree of it works as the head when it is working, which it isn't always. But you don't want so much in the good times, remembering that the majority of times are good times. You don't want so much that it pulls your returns down too much when things are going fine. So what is the answer for I think some of the trop portfolios it ends up being.
Speaker 3: Nine ten percent.
Speaker 2: And then sometimes it goes down seven and sometimes we've got fourteen, so we tend to think maybe minimum five ish.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Well, I think the answer ied point people too is the World Gold Council's study which they did about ten years ago, which came to it concluded eight five to eight percent, which means eight percent and they and they were being a bit cautious there. The central banks, of course, are now at twenty nine percent of their reserves, so they're taking it pretty seriously. And you mentioned the good times, Well, we've had most of the times. The last twenty five years have been the good times. But gold has beaten the S and P including after dividends, and so that's into twenty six years, gold is ahead of the SMB.
Speaker 2: Still has gold been constantly anticipating the bad times?
Speaker 7: Perhaps, Well, gold doesn't have to. I think it's a bit of a bitsnoment that gold necessarily goes up all the time because of bad news. I think, you know, a very simple way to think about it, particularly in the moment, particularly post Ukraine twenty twenty two, is that gold's ordn't piece of the central bank reserves, always has been. When those reserves are growing very very quickly, the gold price is very very strong, and when those reserves have been growing more slowly or in decontracting than the goal price has been weak. And so you know, people ask them out this year, Well, you know, when they have got problems in the straight of the Moose, and the central banks who are very wealthy in that region, they've got problems right now. They need some liquidity, so they're selling gold, not all of them, but some of them. And so in the margin, there's less gold buying in twenty twenty six and there was in twenty twenty five. Yeah, and that could be one of the reasons. There's also the unwinding of speculation, but that's all another story. But I think you know, the bottom line is, you know, what's the right weight of gold in the portfolio? My view would probably be five percent of you bearish gold and twenty percent of your bullish gold.
Speaker 2: Have a view, okay, have of you and take a bit no less than five, all right, So with that in mind, With that in mind, what about boitcoin.
Speaker 7: Well, there's a question, and I have to have to my bold index because I couldn't possibly know the answer intuitively, I would have to go and deliver the financial mass, and if you do some volatility I mean interested, I mean the bark is, do you'd use volatility to do allocation? It's part of it, yeah, I mean it's an important input for a lot of people who do decide how much allocation to have to various things and cross correlations and so forth. But you're a bigcoin of gold, have low correlation high at the moment, possibly, but generally speaking of the last five ten years, that've been very low, and the volatility matching the risk rating would would come out and say about forty two percent in bitcoin about fifty eight gold. Okay, so on that basis, if you're eight, if you're eight in gold, then you probably should be six or seven in bitcoin. That might seem high to people, but the logic stacks up.
Speaker 3: I got it.
Speaker 2: Was you ever put that much into a portfolio? You ever give someone a portfolio with a percent bitcoin?
Speaker 5: So that's a really good question. So I was willing for it.
Speaker 3: You were ready. Don't say we didn't give you a prep time?
Speaker 4: No, well no, so yeah, so it is not part of our set location framework.
Speaker 5: I do have discussions.
Speaker 4: Regularly, almost less so am I said those days was clients so they're for now. So I grew with Charlie on all side, but we have not made the point of make it an investible assets as part of our set location.
Speaker 5: Framework for now.
Speaker 3: Okay, can we ask.
Speaker 7: About that because to my mind, there's not a single private bank or wealth management firm in Europe that I can identify that is publicly allocated to bitcoin on the discretionary basis. Not one firm that's it might be the execution only desks might have taken client orders, but not one single firm. And and then there must be in it because we speak to people who are really bulleted and you really like it, who with senior roles of these firms and they get blocked by the system. What is the influence, sorry to take over? What is the influen It's of the system on allocating to Bigoin to.
Speaker 4: Your point, I think on the one end, clients are less constrained, right, so think family offices allocations have happened, right, They've happened already, and and already the discussion usually where I'm quite often out of my debt is the real crypto allocation versus CUBI antf Right. Uh, this is really to me the kind of a deselling factor of those families.
Speaker 5: Some people are actually really into it.
Speaker 4: Uh, which is fine because if you actually go to the actual logic of crypto, you should actually go full speed right on the thing.
Speaker 6: That's a that's a difference between owning your physical gold and holding ant called the same sort of.
Speaker 5: The same, same story. I agree, except that the world think that I did spend time on uh.
Speaker 4: Gets complicated readily quick on the actual thing, whereas uh, yeah, I think you have a point on like you know, you move to more retail investing. I think a lot of us are watching a lot of bit the environment and what's the spirit in terms of having a recommendation on digital assets, which I think I said that we've seen very varied.
Speaker 5: Behavior on that spirit. So I do think that T is starting a load it.
Speaker 2: Let's pick up on this idea of the next gen client wanting something different to the older client, and exposure to digital assets is part of that. So I would assume that everything that you worry about, no private banks, et cetera providing it over time. If this is what the next gen client wants, this is what they're going to get. Right at some point, someone's going to override that system and make sure that everyone can put an allocation into digital assets one way or another.
Speaker 3: So that's one thing that we know that they want, or we hear a lot that they want.
Speaker 2: And the other thing we hear a lot about it is what you mentioned earlier, which is about them wanting a portfolio that has some social purpose or has some impact to it, or they want to have a ESG overlay that maybe older clients don't necessarily have. And we hear this an awful lot of John and I talk about it a lot on the podcast. But in the end, when people say what does your client want, what the client really want in the end just to make more money, is to protect the money.
Speaker 3: That they have and make more of it CPS.
Speaker 2: In the end, while you have all these conversations and I know that wealth management is becoming a much more empathetic business than.
Speaker 3: Perhaps it used to be.
Speaker 2: A client empathy with your client being a big deal, is it really the case in the end that the new generation of clients is prepared to give up return in return for social purpose or impact.
Speaker 5: Wow, great question. I think it depends a little bit.
Speaker 4: There's clear that we're facing more questioning more dialogue on the impact of capital beyond returns. I think that that's true, and from where I see it, I think, you know, we're active from Asia to year Africa at least, it's a relatively common theme takes different shapes and questions. But I think next gen, as in common across geographic to question a little bit more the impact of capital when it comes to.
Speaker 5: Looking at returns.
Speaker 4: So the way you think about it is to have actually benchmark for instance, which are the same. We don't adapt the benchmark and perform whatever the way. So I think that's usually the trade off, and this is where you end up back to purpose having not really new discussions frankly, in terms of do you actually bias your actions towards capital with impact or do you maximize return to actually have more philanthropy going on and that well helping if you're not without the return or with the return, but with the capital and no return expectation for pilanthropy and these kind of actions.
Speaker 5: I think right now.
Speaker 4: The topic is really more about understanding our processes and what do we take into account, you know, do we have ESG integration, how do we look at the impact of capital of companies we're investing into. It's difficult quantify the trade off, which is why again we're not using sand benchmarks for everything. I think where you do see difference probably in prict markets where you have pure impact investing, which really comes with spell those first, that's different, like you know, you go articule line type spirit. But further actually in pride market that's probably the closest expression, and we do have more queries on that. Interesting, at the beginning, it's clearly stated its impact first.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and you may get low returns and can accept that.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: Interesting, don We've talked about this a lot along the way, and we keep seeing surveys, don't we showing that people are very very keen on the purpose of their investments until they see themselves losing money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think you are an average person feels like that because the wasn't the case, then we wodn't constantly have bubbles, because you know, in bubbles are just people chasing the money regard let's say what the bubble is and and and I think it's absolutely fine to you should have your own lines about what you invest in. I think that people need to think very hard about what those are low like lost of people. For example, you know, the obvious one is tobacco. Lots of people won't invest in tobacco because it's often had to see any kind of upside from providing you know, that kind of product. But at the same time, every other kind of overlay comes with trade offs. You can't just turn around and say that, well, I'm not going to invest in an oil major, because they you know, pull oil out of the ground and it gets burned in cars, and then you know, we'll are you can give up driving yourself partically if you'll Arguably people who are using these services at this level will be fairly wealthy and presumably consumers of fossil fuels and things like that themselves. So I tend to think is as a luxury item and it's a nice to have if that's something you want. But if if there was an obvious way kind of detracting from the most people would probably thank you all.
Speaker 2: And al Durian jury is probably out on what the next Jay client really wants. That was the first portion of our special broadcast on the Next Generation of Wealth Management. Next week we'll bring you more from that panel.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to this.
Speaker 2: Week's Maren Talk to Your Money. If you like our show, rate review, and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts also be showed. Follow me and John on ex or Twitter at marins w and John Underscore Stepic. This episode was produced by Semisadi and Moses and sound designed by Blake Maple's and Aaron Casper. Questions and comments on this show and all our shows are always welcome. Our show email is Merren Money at Bloomberg dot net