Speaker 1: Welcome into another edition of Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. We're presented by fan We'll make every moment more. With Jim Leonard hired as defensive coordinator, we take a look at the scheme fits on Buffalo's roster, the kinds of players Buffalo could be looking to add this offseason. Steve has quizzed on Super Bowl history, and we'll ask our one burning question.
Speaker 2: Let's dial up the blitz.
Speaker 1: Very happy to have you here with us on Bills by the Numbers. He is Bill's Wall of Famer Steve after I'm Bill, played by playman Chris Brown. And as Joe Brady's coaching staff rounds into form, we know there will be a degree of change, especially on the defensive side of the ball. That is where new defensive coordinator Jim Leonard is expected to introduce the first scheme change for the defense in ten seasons. First question, knowing the team's twenty twenty six expectations, Steve, how does this defensive staff most effectively get this new scheme up and running in one off season?
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's not just one step. I mean, it's a multi step process. First of all, whatever guys are going to be on this team, you gotta have reps, reps, reps, reps, reps. There's gonna be personnel meetings. Certainly. This what this pod is about, is how many guys from the four to three alignment that they had in for the last ten years are gonna be held over and be versatile enough or able enough to run a three to four scheme. It's and I know it sounds it's a little bit mystery wrapped in a riddle. Most people don't know the difference between four three three four and most concepts. Every defensive concept you can run out of one, you can run out of the other. But you have different types of athletes and you get benefits from those athletes. That's the real question. What kind of per snel meeting? What is it going to mean when Jim Leonard his defensive staff come in and start breaking down tape of the Buffalo Bills from twenty twenty five and say, yeah, I can use this guy, this guy, this guy, and this guy. Hopefully it's like that yeah, and not like we can't use that guy. He's not there, we can't use him. He can There's gonna be a big roster turnover, I think on the front seven of the defensive side of the ball. And that's the real question. What kind of athlete do they want? What kind of athlete do they have? And there are there guys on the roster now that can move over into a new scheme like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think without question Jim Leonard as defensive coordinator on this staff has the heaviest lift of anyone on the staff because of how much will need to change just to have the right people on the field to execute the scheme. And then a majority of those people are not gonna have as much experience playing with one another in this new system together, and that's gonna require, to your point, tons of reps, tons of time on the field together that you're not really gonna get until your role in a month to six weeks into the regular season. This is going to be a learn and improve as you go type situation, no matter how talented the players you are that you acquire, and no matter how gifted Jim Leonard is as a play caller, and I think a lot of them as a play caller just from what he did in his years at Wisconsin. But this is a heavy lift, one of the heaviest this coaching staff has undertaken in the last ten years. Because there hasn't been change like this.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have a chance to do this in free agency. They'll be able to bolster it, bolster their roster. They'll be able if there are candidates on the roster that they can trade and get draft capital for or trade player for player. They'll be able to do that. They will be able to wash through the roster and get types of players that they want who have played in a three to four if they so desire. But I think this extends all the way into the preseason. You might see Josh Allen in a baseball cap for the entire preseason. But the defensive starters may be taken, riaks out of the play right. They may have to play. They may play, and it's a risk because as we've seen, injuries or a problem, but it may be worth the risk to get these guys some live reps. It'll be interesting to see here Joe Brady, to see if they get any joint practices with teams. But yes, it is a heavy lift for that side of the football, and it's going to be a heavy lift for the players who are carryovers.
Speaker 1: Obviously, a big part of getting a scheme to work effectively on game day, as we've mentioned, getting the right fits for the scheme to maximize the production. So we take a look now at Buffalo's current defensive roster in terms of players under contract to see which players are versatile enough to be fits in Leonard's hybrid scheme. Let's start up front, which is where the biggest changes are going to happen. Leonard's scheme uses principles from the defensive schemes of both Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan, and those are rooted in an underfront or a three to four, but Leonard does subscribe to having five defenders up on the line of scrimmage a good portion of the time, three down linemen two outside linebackers. Will focus on the players still under contract rather than any of the free agents because it's hard to determine their future. Greg Russo is a long angular player with great reach and edge setting ability, but if he's playing at a three to four, is he heavy enough to play the five technique as a defensive end. He's listed at two hundred and sixty five pounds.
Speaker 2: Not at two sixty five, I'd almost put you need to get it. I would say, he needs to get up. You know. The two eighty Okay, that's a lot. You need a little heavier now. I know this. Back in the day the Bills ran a three four. During my day, Bruce Smith was a guy. He was like two sixty. It's a different dude, but you know it can be done, but you gotta you've got to play hard on the rundowns. I mean, it's it's hard to hold up against a guard tackle combination at two sixty five when you're trying to set the edge. Now, you do get a little help by the presence of a guy outside your shoulder, but you can imagine unless the team is running weak to the weak side, they're gonna there's also gonna be a running back tight end over there. So there's a lot of people over there at the point of attack, and you're expected to hold up. And at two sixty five, you know, now, granted Greg Russo has got a lot of leverage, but it brings problems with it. So, uh, it's a different technique, it's a different spot. And I'm not saying this and we haven't talked about this brown and we as in the preparation for this, for this pod. There might be guys behind these like a I'm just throwing names at like a Faderian Mathis or Andre Jones Andre Jones Junior. They may be fitted better for this. They may say, Wow, I'm finally I'm gonna get a chance to play the spot I should play. There might be a little of that, but that's not something we know. Hard to know you hard to know hard to know. But yes, Rousseau is a guy that I think he's versatile enough to pull it off, but he's gonna be asked to do some different things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think even if he gets to two seventy, that's probably good enough. He's a guy with such length that he usually has his hands on the offensive lineman before they have his hands on him. That's what gives him a very good advantage. I think it's gonna be a major adjustment for him, especially a player that has not known anything else. He's young in football. I mean, let's not for get this was a guy who was a one year starter at Miami and then his first year here is twenty twenty one, which is the first COVID year or second COVID year and things still weren't right. Then He's played in only one system here and now he has to make this transition. It's good that he's a veteran player, but there's gonna be a lot of newness. He did to what he has undertake last year. He took the twenty twenty year off, was a one year starter in twenty nineteen, and then went into the draft pool. So I think it's going to be a major adjustment for a player like that. And I'm not saying he can't accomplish it and do it, but I think there's a learning curve there and he's going to need constant instruction to get it all down and be playing like a well oiled machine in the first month of the season. Ed Oliver another interesting case study. He's already seen by many as an undersized three technique in a four to three, probably not long enough to play five technique in a three four front. He has thirty one and three quarter inch arms and he's six' one. Where does he fit in this scheme?
Speaker 2: That's a tough question, and I don't know that he does. He might have to surprise some people with his ability to play out out further away from the ball. He was he spent the entire season injured. As we know, he was off to an incredibly fast start. Ed may be one of those guys where another team, there's ten coaching openings this year, you may get a call from a team like a Cleveland or Las Vegas or somebody like that says, hey, what about Ed Oliver. He fits better in our scheme than he does yours. Now can we have you know, let's let's talk. Ed may get traded because he is such a force and a pass rush from the from that three technique, from the down closer to the ball. As an undersized tackle. You put him in conjunction with a guy like Max Crosby in Vegas. That's an upgrade, right, That's an upgrade. So I think Ed is a is a hard question to answer in this same in this scheme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And look, it's not up to us. We're just going by height, weight measurements, and length measurements and what is typically utilized in a three to four system at those positions. Ed just in terms of pure measurements, does not meet the threshold of those measurements. It'll be up to Jim Lennard his defensive staff to make that determination. But I agree with Steve. I think there is a very good chance he could be a trade candidate this offseason for two reasons. One, he doesn't meet the measurement requirements to play some of these positions up front effectively in a three to four system, and number two, he's signed to a long term contract. He is cost control at a reasonable figure. Yeah, so I think he would not be hard to trade if you chose that root, And you may based on what your defensive staff has to say, we.
Speaker 2: May not see this the same way the Bill's coaching staff does either. They may they may say, no, I think we've got a plan for Ed, and we're gonna we're gonna hang on to him and turn them this because because the guy's got some talent. I mean, good grief, he was a wrecking crew in the first month of the season before he tore his bicep. So he's got value, real value in the NFL. You don't just want to, you know, kick that to You can't kick that to the curb. You got to. You got to if you're either get something for a return for or find a way to let him exploit his talent.
Speaker 1: The rookies Dion Walker and TJ. Sanders, heading into their second NFL season, would appear to be fits Walker as a nose tackle, although there's some debate about that, and I'll let Steve address that Sanders could presumably play defensive ends. Six three, three hundred pounds. Javon Solomon is an interesting case study because you would likely think he moves to outside line linebacker, presumably on the strong side, but you typically like long players in that role six' three at, least with long arms and around two hundred and fifty five pounds and. Up solomon six 't, one two forty. Seven now he does have thirty four inch. Arms that helps, him but what's the fit, There.
Speaker 2: Well he would have to overcome his, height but he does Have he's very long. ARMED i mean the guy can. Reach he also has value and if he can stand up and play with his hand off the ground to huge plus because he's athletic enough to play out. There but as you, said he's he's. Short what he does bring to the, tables although too in his special teams. Prowess the guy can go out and, cover he can run down the. Field most of the big dudes that play in the front seven can't do. That so he's a, valuable versatile athlete WHO i think probably has a spot because of his athleticism and his ability to run people down from behind and also get to the edge and get get to the sideline when they try and run wide to his. Side he's got some value as an. Athlete even though his measurables may not be. Perfect he does have that one. Thing the thing about him is he's he got long, arms so he plays taller than he, Is so he may be a guy who's a depth piece at outside, line but also is still a special, team's you, know foundational.
Speaker 1: PIECE i think he's a depth. Piece he is not a speed speed. Rusher he's a power. Rusher that's what he.
Speaker 2: Is plays a great leverage.
Speaker 1: Leverage heavy, hands and maybe moving outside to outside linebacker could help his game because now he's going against tight ends probably and backs more than he is offensive. Tackles he would get swallowed up by, big long offensive tackles when he was utilized on the pass. Rush now you kick him out to outside linebacker and maybe those thirty four inch arms help him more against a tight end or a back in a pass rush. Matchup but, yeah he's a power, Rusher.
Speaker 2: He's not a speed bend the edge.
Speaker 1: GUY i want to believe he can get back to the sack production we saw that he had in college At, troy when he led the nation in sacks with sixteen his senior, Season but we have not seen hide nor hair of.
Speaker 2: That perhaps a scheme.
Speaker 1: Change helps him at. Linebacker the front line non free agents Are Terrel bernard And Dorian, williams if they play four linebackers most of the time as expected In leonard's, Scheme bernard is likely the weak inside, linebacker And Dorian williams is a little bit harder to pin. Down he's six y two two hundred and thirty. Pounds that would indicate to you his only role in this scheme would be As bernard's backup weak inside. Linebacker that position in a three to four system typically asks that player to cover the most and to be a sideline to sideline. Defender in the, scheme your, bigger, heavier mic linebacker is more of your run stuff downhill. GUY i think we Know bernard And Dorian williams can both do, that so they would seem to be fits. There but then you saw What Dorian williams was as a blitzer in the second half of the season this past year in that, three, three five nickel package that the defensive staff deployed with great, success and it's, like, man is there a way to utilize him on the edge as a stand up guy or is he just too small and too?
Speaker 2: Short well as a role. PLAYER i, mean you can get these guys on the field and third down and, long you, know where you're not really worried about the. Run so there's situational. Football, certainly he could help out if he's if he's on out, there but it's a pick and choose kind of role that you're talking, about and you're, ideally, well Maybe Jim leonard has a different they they didn't like to substitute. Here we may see more of, that particularly in the early going with this new defensive scheme where you've got guys running on and off the field a lot because they haven't found the guys that can play three downs or four. Downs, yeah on, Defense so that may BE i, think but that's WHAT i would See Dorian williams as a, Situationally, yeah he can plug into a couple of different spots out, there but he can't play all three.
Speaker 1: Downs, Okay, so in light of the fact that there are twenty two unrestricted free agents and a major scheme change on defense is, afoot how drastic could change are you anticipating on the defensive side of the ball personnel.
Speaker 2: Wise i'm expecting some. Changes, yeah significantly. Significant, Yeah i'm not Saying i'm. No it may be that they can use some of the guys that are on the roster differently and more, versatilely with more versatility than we're aware. Of so some of the guy AND i think there'll probably be some unexpected guys who, emerge LIKE. Tj sanders may come up and be. Big Dion, WALKER i don't know that he has The he's big. Enough he's six, seven three point, fifty, RIGHT i, mean the guy's, big but he plays a little bit high if your pad level's. High he's so, tall he has a hard time bending in knees and getting, low which you've got to do if you're gonna play nose, tackle which is kind of what he's built. For so that may be an issue for him that he might not be as effective as a nose tackle as he would be a defensive end in this. Scheme all of those things will, happen But I'm i'm thinking there's going to be significant change and we're going to see it right out of the gate and free.
Speaker 1: Agency, YEAH i think you have to look realistically at measurements of players and what they're looking. For outside linebackers in this system have to be at least six foot. Three ideally there's six four to six six the long arms and they're about two fifty five. Plus that's what you need at outside linebacker in this. System you need length out. There and then defensive ends in this system are usually two eighty and up two eighty to three bills and your nose tackle has to be on the plus side of three twenty five to make this system work.
Speaker 2: Effectively we talked about this on The Regular Daily show one of you, know you go down and look through the history of the league at all the great nose tackles and at the three four, scheme like guys Like Curly culp And Ted washington And vince Will. Fork, yeah they're they're the one tenth of one. Percenters they are, big big human, beings and they are athletes.
Speaker 1: And The bills may need to find two of, them one in free, agency one in the. Draft and then even at the mike linebacker, spot you don't really have somebody that fits that profile right now on your. Roster Even Jack thompson had a nice, season but he's six foot two point.
Speaker 2: Thirty Even Shaq thompson doesn't fit That. Bill you need.
Speaker 1: Sixty three and at least two thirty, five, Right.
Speaker 2: You need like A Brian, Urlocker Luke. Keikley you, know six' five guy who can run and, who's big and they got to be able to beat take, a physical physical punting out.
Speaker 1: Or if they're not, that big like let's say, they're borderline they're like six two two. Thirty five that guy on tape better play bigger than, his, size Right Like shack thompson did.
Speaker 2: This, Year, right yes that guy is as physically unique as the nose tackle we're. Talking about you gotta have a couple of, those guys and, then theoretically you get those two guys, in there your run. Defense's gold. You're fine suddenly, it's, better, suddenly dramatically suddenly teams are, you know dropping back on, you know third and it's third. And, twelve yeah that's so up until, that point and you know the compromises you make and those physical gifts and. Those guys is is the difference you see in the analytics when you're Run d fin starts to slide and now. You're up you know you're giving up four point eight Yards per russians to the three.
Speaker 1: Point seven we transition now to the numbers Game where steve will be Quized During Super bowl Week On Super. Bowl history here. We go question, number one who has Won More? Super BOWLS the afc OR.
Speaker 2: The nfc steve.
Speaker 1: Got a fifty to fifty, SHOT, here nfc you, are correct IT'S the nfc by the thinnest. Of, margins REALLY the nfc has won fifty thirty times. THIRTY nine afc has won twenty. Nine times there. You go let's HOPE the nfc wins another. This week question, number TWO what nfl division holds The Most super? BOWL Titles afc nordy incorrect AT The, Afc, North.
Speaker 2: Oh, i'm sorry that's, NOT, RIGHT Nfc, NFC.
Speaker 1: East nfc, East correct, i'm sorry Fourteen.
Speaker 2: SUPER bowls i should have Known, That.
Speaker 1: Giants eagles. Washington, team Yeah in Dallas. And dallas they All Have super. Bowl titles, question three HOW many nfl teams have never Reached The?
Speaker 2: Super bowl? Never reached just, Get.
Speaker 3: There Carolina, And jacksonville arizona has made it.
Speaker 2: Now, just Vegas, Count, As, oakland, Yes, Okay, Uh, Tennessee wow minnesota's been there, A bunch chicago's. Been, There Huh Green bay. THEY'RE all, i mean it's. Let's, see uh. Let's say i'm gonna say going through, THE teams, I am, I know. I am cleveland has never, made It, And arizona arizona's.
Speaker 3: Made it.
Speaker 2: Atlanta has. Made It.
Speaker 1: M WHO did i say that we're Whittling, Madly.
Speaker 2: Carolina, jacksonville cleveland that may?
Speaker 1: Be.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah three the answer. Is FOUR who'd? I?
Speaker 1: Miss well carolina has been To A, Super Bowl cam newton And with Jake, delom So, It's, Cleveland, jacksonville Houston.
Speaker 2: And detroit houston's never Made.
Speaker 1: The Texans and detroit never. Made it so the answer. Is four, OH wow i didn't have it right.
Speaker 2: Either.
Speaker 1: Initially uh question, number four who was the last running back To Win?
Speaker 2: SUPER?
Speaker 1: Bowl Mvp? Terrell, davis oh right out of the shoot he Nailed At super bowl, Thirty Two terrell davis.
Speaker 2: Thirty, two yeah it's been.
Speaker 1: A minute who it's like nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine that was when they Were In Jack murphy Stadium In san diego against.
Speaker 1: The Old alex gibbs zone. Blocking Machine When terrell davis was rolling up two Thousand yard he came.
Speaker 2: Out of that game because he had. A migraine because he and the problem was, that's right he did suffer. From migraine his his braces, he wore his braces. Were tight they so they adjusted his braces and relieved the pressure on his jaw and they the migraine, went away and he came back in and. Crushed, it wow that's. A story i did. Not know, oh, yeah yeah there. You go are you working the sidelines for? That One, Uh NO but i WAS with CBS and I was i was actually watching. THIS town i was working, the, Media OKAY and i don't know whether that was, ACTUALLY yeah i was not working, That, game okay it was.
Speaker 1: Not working bill's fans get in on the action With FanDuel america's number. One sportsbook just download the app to play anyway. You, want plus with, live betting you'll get updated odds on games that have. Already started best, of all you get paid your, winnings fast make every moment More With FanDuel official sportsbook partner Of The. Buffalo bills time now for our one. Burning question with two free agents at receiver and a potential cap casualty at the position, as well and the pressure to be just, as good if, not better on offense in twenty twenty six under a new Head Coach, joe brady HOW Does Gm brandon bean address the receiver position this. Off, season well.
Speaker 2: He'll well it's been widely reported and made clear that he attempted to try and trade for a big time wide out at the trade deadline last year and was rebuffed even though he had the. Best offer the guy was, Not TRADED so i think he will attend to continue to. DO that i think they will probably take the lid off, and, say listen we're going to fix. This time it's been. Two years we did a really nice job with. Year one year two had got more problematic because of. The injuries they must have had ten different guys that play wide. Receiver FORM so i think he will both draft, a player he will sign a player or two in, free agency and they will rinse through the roster. AS well i don't know that it will be a, completely different in, my opinion mostly different wide receiver room when they take.
Speaker 1: The, FIELD yeah i believe knowing the offense has to be as good, or better and knowing what was missing on, the outside and knowing you can't wait on somebody to develop as, A rookie i think he tries to acquire a proven commodity at the receiver position, via trade unless so try and be a loose Free, agency yeah but, EVEN then i don't think they want to roll the dice on that and hope the guy transitions TO the. Nfl, Game well i'll give you a. Perfect Example josh reed was a second round pick Of the bills in two thousand and two AND at lsu IN, The Sec josh reed averaged one hundred and forty five yards receiving. Per game he came TO the nfl and it never looked. Like that you can't count, on that even with one of the best wide receiver coaches to develop talent in. The UNIVERSE so i think what he does ultimately is he gets a proven commodity at the, receiver position either, via TRADE and i think that's more likely trade than free agency because there's been a lot of swings and misses in free agency where they haven't panned out here for. Whatever REASON so i think he gets he was successful the last time he traded for a proven Commodity With. STEFAN diggs i think he takes another swing at the plate with a, trade opportunity AND then i agree, WITH you i think they draft one. As well it's a good receiver draft talent can be, had THERE and i think as long as You Have josh allen as, your quarterback you should draft at least one receiver every. Single year not saying it has to be a first round pick, every year but somewhere between round one and, round five you've got a draft a receiver every. Single year if you have a Quarterback Like.
Speaker 2: JOSH allen i.
Speaker 1: Think somebody could, get hurt somebody could not pan out the way, you thought and as long as you keep having people in, the pipeline you enhance your chances of not only hitting, on somebody but also. Developing somebody the time to develop somebody into a.
Speaker 2: Potential, star yeah they're not in my opinion at. This point if depending on what happens in. Free agency if they sign a couple of wideouts or a white out or make a trade for a whiteout who's, proven commodity that receiver that they're going to draft will drop further and further down the pecking order in the. Draft picks if they don't get a, guy there then then. You run there's an opportunity. There, where yeah maybe they will go a high draft pick wide receiver in the. First ROUND but i YOU and i. BOTH agree i think the number one pick this, year's draft if they've still got, the pick is going to be on the defensive side of.
Speaker 1: The, Ball, AGAIN yep i don't know if there'll be a quality edge. Rusher there you could get, one linebacker could get one of the two or three best linebackers in the draft there at. Twenty six not a lot of linebackers inside guys go in, round one so you have a good chance at twenty six to get one of the two or three best linebackers in the. Entire class that could. Be tempting our closing figure Deals with bills team single. Season scoring in the sixty six seasons of football played By The, buffalo bills they have scored more than four hundred and seventy five points in a season just. Four times in two of those, four seasons their offensive play caller was Head Coach. Joe brady they scored a team record five hundred twenty five points in twenty, twenty four and this past season they scored four hundred eighty, one points good for fourth best in. Team History so brady's offense has the first and fourth highest scoring Offenses in bill's history in just two full seasons in the. Coordinator, role naturally we all hope that continues as he ascends to the head.
Speaker 2: Coaching position that's going TO be i think very key to the success of. This TEAM they i think they a little bit Like The cincinnati bengals have been accused. Of doing they've they got, OUTSCORE people i think in the particularly in the first half of. This season depending on how the roster management goes on the, DEFENSIVE side i think this offense is going to be asked to carry, the load.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah for the, first month month and a half of the season, for sure while the defense kind of rounds into form and gets its bearings in a brand. New scheme as we've discussed for the majority of. This podcast that'll do it for. This edition be sure to subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use so you know when the next episode, is out or watch us On the bills, YouTube channel because when you need to know About, the bills you need To check bills By. The numbers for, Students Ask I'm. Chris brown thanks. For listening we'll catch you. Next, time everybody