Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, Welcome back to The Draymond Green Show with My Dog b D with Aaron Davis.
Speaker 3: We live.
Speaker 4: What's good, Bro?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 4: We live? Bro?
Speaker 2: It's a special one day. Also, I got I got uh my brother here with me. It's you know, it's crazy because I watched myself in the league every day.
Speaker 5: You know, I not watch myself, but like I just see the process.
Speaker 2: That I'm going through on a daily basis. I lived at and I think back to like what feels not that long ago, but every day I go to the facility now for practice, for a game, I gotta get in the hotel and this this my my brother. That's that's coming on the shovels today. He used to be in the hotub and I used to be like, man, you so damn oh like like you you like you were in the hotel. Man, you owe every day you're in the hotel. And he used to be like, it's right around the corner for you. It's gonna happen to you too. But this dude mean a lot to me. Uh, three time NBA champion, I got just sharing that experience with it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: An executive in the NBA number four pick in the two thousand and four NBA Draft, coming straight out of heights, the.
Speaker 2: Mini God, the Master range uh important important part of our dynasty. None other than my brother. It's DoD Sean Livy said, welcome to the.
Speaker 4: Fellas. Fellas appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have me on the plass of today, yees sir that yeah, man, I see that father time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I start getting in the hotel like on my own, you know what. Else when I go in there dot lights off. It's also like the calm before the storm too. You know, it's just like zing out. But I would go in and like see Rick and Danny, you know, so I start doing the body work and they and they would notice the difference, like, Yo, you ain't been in the hotel right now. They like, you go get in the hotel.
Speaker 1: Autumn shouts, y'all was shooting at me. I come in with my green teeth, you know, I get right, that's style. I'm just trying to last beat there.
Speaker 3: The teens. It ain't teensy, and now look at it.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: The minutes pile up, baby, especially when you win it. Yes, the minutes they pile up, they gonna catch up faster than they would a normal do that.
Speaker 2: I'm still sprouted us, so they ain't caught up yet. I'm still you know, I'm still a little sprouting them. So but the process, you know, of like going through it, like every day learning the body, knowing, learning what you need in the off day, like lifting more man the process of being ready to take the court. Though it's crazy, like it's a It requires so much more time than just like when you just had to work on your game. It's like a totally different type of discipline and not what you don't quite understand when you're watching guys go through it.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's like the summers. For me toward in my thirties was just straight weights and conditioning, but you know, just to prepare my body. And then just of course the way I played the game, you know, obviously just getting to the spots off the dribble. It's a harder game. Wasn't a three point shooter, wasn't a spacer.
Speaker 4: So just I.
Speaker 1: Remember it was a game we were playing, and it might have been against the Clippers, and one of the guys came up to me and he was like, Bro, this towards the end of my career, like the last year, and he's like, what do your workouts look like? Do you just get it to just shoot all ten footers?
Speaker 4: Bro? Like you know what I'm saying, Like what else do you do?
Speaker 1: Like you know, And I'm just like, Damn, I had to think about it, Like damn.
Speaker 4: All the sauce, that's it. I get straight.
Speaker 3: To it to the point, that's the sauce.
Speaker 4: That's it. Like I want to hit on black. I know I'm hitting knitting.
Speaker 1: So but it's uh, it's definitely towards the latter part of your career, Like, yeah, man, you got to think about all the stretching, the yoga, the recovery, all that.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad you in that seat now.
Speaker 2: But it's I got a different appreciation for it, for sure, yes, sir appreciation. But man, we just watched Game one of the NBA Finals. I know y'all watched it. I watched it. I mean I think just just initially getting into it. Hollie does it again, b D, what do you experience?
Speaker 3: Does? What do you what do you expect?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 2: And I say, I said, geez, he ain't about to do it. He's not about to.
Speaker 3: Do it again. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It was crazy because they just keep fighting. Man, and when them hard, I think he airballed the three. Pascal laid it up. It was like, oh they down one, they just set themself up. And I mean Halliburn, that's prime time, that's prime time Halliburn. He knocking him down. He's mister clutch. He he's mister clutching the playoffs? Man, what's your thought on that? Sean? Do you watch that? Yeah? Man?
Speaker 1: I mean's I wanted to kick it to y'all because you've been in those precious situations like when you're watching Halliburton, do you feel like he needs to do more in that fourth quarter?
Speaker 4: Are you watching him and say like where is he at?
Speaker 1: And just pop up like you know, like man, he just and it's something about to hitting those shots in prior series that it's like, Okay, I've been here before, like when they come to me.
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: But I'm watching the game out here, are you know? I'm listening to the broadcast. They're like your best player has to be better, you know. They they ready to dig in and narrative on him. And then boom there you go right like like what y'all, what do y'all see when y'all watching like the last six minutes of that fourth For a star player.
Speaker 2: I think in an ideal world, you want to see your star player take over the game, like you want to see him Yep. The reality is Halle not really that dude. Like he that dude as far as like the player that he is, but he not. When I say he not that dude, like he's not going to go look to score every time. That's just not his mindset. He looking to get everybody involved. That's how they team playing. So I think when it comes to Halley, everybody want him to be something that he not and like I mean, I got the utmost love and respect for his game, but.
Speaker 5: He not Shaye.
Speaker 2: When I think of their team, I think the guy who who that is for them is actually Siacle like Siakam is when when in the high pressure moments like meet of the game, eight minutes to go on the fourth quarter, holl he gonna give you some games because he got the ball and he making the players and he just get it going. But Siakam is the guy that they go to the settle things down, you know, And that's the role that he plays for that team. So I think, yes, in an ideal world, you're always gonna want to see the ball in your best player hands. And what I will say is, can Hollie go get the ball more and get them into more things and be more demonstrative during that window about getting them into things and making the plays.
Speaker 5: Yes he could, but that's young man.
Speaker 3: The ball move that they don't rock like. Yeah, they don't really rock like that, like what the and and dre Ma and j We talked about this in the Milwaukee series. I said, Indiana not scared of nobody because everybody is green. Everybody got a green light. Nemhar got a green light, Nie Smith got a green light. Miles Turner can shoot the ball, Obie Toppings can make ploog like. They all have a they all got a freedom that's different and their style of play. So for Halliburnon, he trying to unleash that freedom. So you forget about him, And I think that's a something kind of a good point guard is you forget that he's controlling the game or trying to control the tempo or recreate a tempo. So then when he do have the ball, you're like, oh, he called, he ain't been in the moment, but he living. He almost like setting it up, but a dramatic to live in that moment. And he got he got big. He he liked big lights. And it's only it's only I mean, it's just certain players that's like that over the history of the league. It's like, no matter how big the moment and the lights, especially when you in a situation you down one, you got nothing to lose, Like the lights get bigger and your bravado get bigger. And I think that's especially the type of shots he shoot, right the sat he shot against the Knicks where he went out, dribbled out to the three and shot at three and made it. And now you look at this one. He's just said he's just setting the table. And they freedom allow him to kind of be a disguise, so he don't need to he don't need to push too much. He can he can be a little bit more aggressive and looking for his office game. But the way he operates that offense and the way that they playing with freedom, they got other people make plays until your point. Siakam, He's another dude that plays with freedom that you're not really looking at it and saying like, damn, man, we gotta stop Siaka because he he he. He gets a lot of intangibles. Offensive rebound pumpbacks, uh, leakouts, right, you know, uh, secondary trail one on one iso pull ups, so all this stuff is a floating. They're a tough team because they're not scared and they got they got an offensive firepower and everybody eats yes.
Speaker 1: And I like what you said about him being a disguise, right, because it's like this is who he is. I mean, that's honestly why I really liked his game coming out in the draft, because he is a pass first.
Speaker 4: That's his personality, that is his mindset.
Speaker 1: I just you know, I look at him and I'm like, man, okay, Siakam won the MVP for the Western Conference Finals? Is Siakam that effective without Halliburton? Meaning those hockey assists? We talk about that, right we had when we played right that day, it was like how many passes can we get? And it wasn't just like just to pass it around the perimeter. It was more of just the feel, the energy to the ballll. It's like when you kicking it ahead. You notice be the user score. It's like, man, you kick it ahead, you get somebody going. Somebody kick it ahead to you. You like, oh all right, ooh he rocket with me. Let's go Like and I just I look at that team one, they're never out of it.
Speaker 4: The three, the power of the three points shooting.
Speaker 1: You know, you look at their bigs and Miles Obi topping, Siakam space to four, Thomas.
Speaker 4: Bryan hitting the corner three.
Speaker 1: So I think the adjustments looking at this next game, you look at Okay, see they had to take their bigs out because of the three balls that they the threes that they were giving up.
Speaker 4: Do they do at the next game?
Speaker 1: You know, like they they already went smaller, but when Indy goes small, they are big.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Malcom got two offensive boards in the fourth quarter that were big. One he got on and then another one he scored shade in box them out right. And so you're just looking at some of those plays like they're they're winning on some of those different plays where they have, you know, a bigger lineup when they are small, because Miles could stretch constretched top and hit five threes. Right, you start out a little shaky, but he settled in. And I was watching them, I'm like, man, Indy, if they could settle into this game, slow down, because they played fast, you know, they they were still right in striking distance the whole time.
Speaker 2: They were the whole time having nineteen turnovers in the first half, which is insane. They were still only down ten points, and I'm looking at it. I'm like, yo, they turned the ball over like this. They got forty seven points and they've created nineteen turnovers. That's not good. Like you, you're not capitalizing on none of that. I think they ended up with nine like they had nine. They had nine.
Speaker 5: They had nine points off those turnovers in the first half.
Speaker 2: And so it never it never really affected okay.
Speaker 5: See I mean Indiana the way it should have.
Speaker 2: And I think when I look at when I look at what they just did, Nie Smith ten points, Siakam nineteen points, Miles Served fifteen points, them are fourteen points, Holly Burdon fourteen, Obie Topping seventeen points.
Speaker 4: That game reminds me.
Speaker 2: Of Game one, twenty fifteen NBA Finals and Dot you are our leader scorer. You had twenty and all the rest of us seventeen nineteen seventeen, fourteen fifteen, Steph Ain't had a crazy game. Clay Ain't had a crazy game, and we won the game that way with set a tone for us in that series, you know, and they just did that and regardless of all the things that happen. And so you know when you when you speak on OKC taking their bigs out, my only thing with that would be they had an eight point lead when they took their big at the game, absolutely and like you're not gonna out three Indiana. That's not what Okay Steve ts like. So you know when I when I watched the end of that game, like, yes, players make plays, but you know, Sean and both me and Dot we had the pleasure of having when you get in that moment Steve coming through, and that's Steve is a magician in those moments.
Speaker 5: The bigger the moment, the better Steve gets.
Speaker 2: And you know this, Mark Diagno first first NBA Finals game, you're saying Rick Carlile first.
Speaker 4: Rodeo ric.
Speaker 2: And Rick Carlo made the subs that he needed to make. He pulled Miles Turner at three o seven and put over the top in it. You know what I'm saying he playing chess and Mark Dagno pulled his thigs out and thought that and went super small. And like to your point you said, when they small, they're still pretty big, bigger than Yeah, that strength, their strength is checked, their strength is Hartstein and you gotta roll with that. You're not gonna out there, You're gonna do them at what they do. And so.
Speaker 3: I agree, and you know, you know what mess mess and this one mess the Knicks up to your point, uh as dot is uh you get cross match. So when you cross match with Indiana, it creates crazy matchup problems. That's why the Knicks couldn't find no picking rolls when they had Karl Anthony Towns at the five. It's like you, they flying down the court now faster than you and the point guard is six seven. So now okay, see you playing small. But like you said, Indiana is a bigger team. And so when you're running back and you cross mess, now that's how you they didn't call the time out. You got Wallace or Halliburton, no lou Dort, right, and so they are the and credit to Rick Carlisle because you got to know when to make that sub to kind of throw the game off to kind of to throw it in your favor. Absolutely, and and and they're gonna they're going to win the small lineup because everybody on their team rebound. Pascal Siakim, he get garbage, dirty rebounds, put backs, Halliburn rebounds well from a point guard position. Me Smith, he flying over, He just flying everywhere, right, And so that that's that's the big difference is you can't match up with them and transition and set your defense. And that's how they that's how they came back.
Speaker 1: That's a great call out. And honestly, that's how they got those threes because across match and again.
Speaker 4: The power of the kick ahead.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like, either you got somebody that can get it off the glass and he can push it, and David's coming in.
Speaker 4: You remember Steve, like every time, get it out of house.
Speaker 3: Push.
Speaker 4: Now you got scrambling. Now we got to get matched up.
Speaker 1: Boom open three, right, or you got a big trying to run down to get a block.
Speaker 4: No, you're on a three point shooter.
Speaker 1: You need to boom now, be topping boom three miles turner three. So and I noticed it as well in the beginning. I don't know if you caught it, but okay, see did change their lineups to match up sometimes sometimes there is you know, you can outsmart yourself trump match up with the other team instead of making them play your way right right, So it's gonna be interesting this chess match to see what they come back with in the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: You know what, go ahead, go ahead, because I was gonna ask you a question. My question is to that point, are the threes hurting you enough where you sticking to your big lineup? Did the threes hurt you enough? Because you still, like, like like Jay said, you still got an eight point lead with three minutes to get up, So is it really hurting you for you to make that adjustment when this is your bread and butter?
Speaker 1: And that's the NBD Again, those are the questions that coaches that can't sleep at night.
Speaker 4: That's that's you know.
Speaker 1: Back to the huddle because it's like, yo, man, like we had a lead, we were right there.
Speaker 4: What were the heirs that we made?
Speaker 1: Now we can end up making we can overadjust, right, we can overadjust and start trying to do things that are outside our comfort zone when you know, really maybe it was a you know it was a loose ball, it was an offensive rebound. We got to get this board. We have to win this possession. The ball is goal, right, they were winning the possession game. And then towards the end of the fourth you know again Indiana was making all of the right plays, and then you watch Caruso foul put the put Limhart at the line right off the clock. Little things like that where you have the lead, those are mental hers and Caruso is a champion, he's a vet again. But it's like those are the things that you inch closer. You inch closer. Now you give them a chance to win it at the buzzer when probably shouldn't be in that position.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 3: The NBA Finals are almost here and every play could be the one that changes everything. This is the NBA Playoffs where the heroes rise, legacies are built, and the action never lets up. And with Draft Kings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA, you don't just watch the madness, You live it back your favorite team right with your kluchtime killer bet on the buzzer beaters, the breakout performances, the game winning threes from player props to same game parlays. This is how you take your fandom to the next level. If you're new to the game, no sweat. Download the Draft King sports Book Gap. Bet just five dollars. If your best wins, you can win it up to three hundred dollars and bonus bets. It's that easy. Download the Draftking sports Book Gap and use code baron. That's code Barren for new customers to get three hundred dollars in bonus bets if your bet wins, and when you bet just five dollars only on DraftKings, the Crown is yours.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text Hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over agent. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyd and Ontario. New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkanng dot co slash audio.
Speaker 4: Ya.
Speaker 2: If you're Indiana, you didn't play well at all, I mean you played pretty bad.
Speaker 4: You wouldn't. This is the best way.
Speaker 2: To win a game one in an NBA Finals, in any playoff series, especially in the NBA Finals and vice versa. If OKC could have actually hung on, it would have been the best way they could win game one.
Speaker 5: And here's why Steve would always tell us this.
Speaker 2: Steve would always say, I'm happy we didn't blow that team out, because if you blow that team out, now you gotta face added steam when they come. When they come out in game two, they come and and naturally thing naturally you relax a little bit because you feel like we go. You know, if you blow that team out, Indiana didn't play well at all, they steal this game, and now they come back with a free swinging game two.
Speaker 5: That's that's a tough position.
Speaker 2: Like we saw, we saw the Knicks do this last series with Indiana. Now, all of a sudden, Indiana come out and Game two and they on fire, because we know they capable of that, Like we know they're capable of coming out in game two and being on fire. So now if that happens, now you're in trouble. But here's the thing where I'm not where I'm not happy with the substitution the change of the lineup is you made your adjustment before the series started. Like that's something you go to. You you go into game one, You roll with what you know, You roll with what you like. You you you rid with that. You don't make your your your series of jet you know, lay your trump down, your trump card before the series even start. So now your adjustment is to go back to like you you making an adjustment after game one that like you go two games with your star lineup before you like that was.
Speaker 4: Sixty eight games, sixty steps games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you're scrambling to to you know, to to figure it out because you you've already made that adjustment and instead of maybe enforce your will first, right or see what see what the layer of the land is. You know, before you start showing the trump you know, before you start showing the different adjust you know what that says to me?
Speaker 3: That tells me says, yeah, your heels already already.
Speaker 2: But that's but even a step further than that, that tells me that that coaching style is not confident in how they've looked in these playoffs, because that means like something like in the end, ain't thinking about changing they starting line up because they are very comfortable with how they've gone through these playoffs. They was how they got four one four, one, four to two, right, Like, they feel very confident in what they're doing and how they got And what that says to me is Okay, see, don't really feel confident.
Speaker 5: And how they got here.
Speaker 2: And that's that's that's a very interesting thing to me just to watch.
Speaker 3: I don't know about it. I don't like that at all. Yeah, I mean, I'm gonna draw a reference to We Believe because before this, before the series, Dallas changed their lineup and the whole thing was are they gonna stay big? Are they gonna go small? Like the whole conversation was what they're gonna do before the series even start to adjust what we're doing. And I think part of it is being overconfident because they start off and say, Okay, we're gonna go big, and then they immediately went small, right, and they got to plan our game and they can never get out of it. So when they tried to go big, like we had already figured that adjustment out. Then when you go small, we already got like that's our pace. And and back to Indiana, Indiana gonna win the small big lineup, the big big lineup. You already took yourself out because you're not weighing in on the positive of the park and saying you're not wearing in on the part of the positive of what chet is gonna bring you. And so when you get to that moment, I'm up eight. Okay, we're gonna spread the floor. And that's Ga gonna go to work. William's gonna go to work. The floor gonna be spread. But Indiana plays basketball like that. Can't see no finished games like that. You don't finish games like that, So you already off ballance. And I think it sometimes it can be overconfident to think that all right, like we can play we can play any style.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure you come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let me ask you right like as if you see that you on the other side, you're Indiana and now you're seeing the matchups, does that give you confidence like, oh, they already adjusting to us, right Like when you went in Dallas made those adjects. Are you thinking like, hey, they can't. They're trying to play and catch us. So does that give you confidence as a player right coming out?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you you you've you've figured out how to beat them right the way you play. So if you can play, you're you're more confidence saying if I can, if I can control the pace, if I can control the style, then they can't be us playing our style in our past. If we can stay with them or whatever they do, we prove that we you know, we can come back. If we can stay with what with them, then we got a chance to win it. So your confidence meter, it just go up, like you ain't even thinking about Indiana, not thinking about losing, yeah at all. Yeah, they're not thinking about no. Like whatever adjustments that they're making, it's an adjustment to win, right, okayc is trying to figure out how to win.
Speaker 4: Right right, And they can play better too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thing can play better because I mean twenty turned overs in the first half like.
Speaker 3: That, that's not about like I.
Speaker 1: Was trash, Like that's that's terrible, you know, but to be in striking distance, I mean again, that's just confidence that we can come out and even even play better.
Speaker 3: So jay I was waiting for you to say and HALLI and then have a good gas Like I was waiting for you. I could. I could hear your voice in the fourth quarter, and he's like, man, they coming back, and Halliburn ain't even here. He ain't even visible in the gas. I can hear you saying that, no problem.
Speaker 2: When he don't have a good game. He usually don't have two battles in a row. If I had to guess, he gonna come out game two so damn aggressive. He gonna come firing, he gonna come out down hell like hally Burton is. Like Hally Burton is like Peyton Manning. Like the last thing you want Peyton Manny doing is playing with the league. Like Peyton Manning get to play with the league, and he get to dial up anything he wanted to dial up. Good luck, Like because you put him in these situations where he could run, he could pass, he could get to the line audible. Watch what you audible? Too audible again? You trying to audible?
Speaker 3: He gone.
Speaker 2: Like the last thing you want to do with pay money is put him in that position to just be free swinging and doing what he want to do. And that's not the position that Holly is in and he gonna come out fight, and it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's just then to see that he came out the first half. I think he took like five shots shaped like nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm thinking of myself in that first half, man, like one of them setting the tone for what this series is gonna look like, and then the other one is just trying to fill it out, right, And that's your flow. But to your point, BD, the way that they play all year and long, right, like sharing the basketball, trusting each other. There's something about the energy in that, you know, in that system to where when you can constantly sharing it, constantly sharing it, it's going to find you. And in those moments who they give it to, I'm hard to hit big shot shot like yeah, he's myth.
Speaker 3: They just know, they just and and I was I was gonna say, this is us is when he has the rock in his hand, he's you don't expect a turnover, you don't expect nothing bad. You're like, you figure you're gonna get a really good shot and the whole team knows that. So him had like like like Dre saying the pay money analogy is you know him with the lead is like he gets to start picking his poison, like how you want to serve up dishes and going back to the turnovers, he not turning the ball over down the stretch. He's solid. He's solid with that rock. He's solid with his decision making. And I think that's what Shaye needs to kind of pick up more for Okay, See, you gotta be more of a playmaker. You gotta be on your defensive. Bro. You can't just you can't just score the points on this team because they can all score points. Absolutely don't have to like make plays, but you don't have to make your big guys more valuable in this series in order for you.
Speaker 2: With SGA tell your point. He finished with thirty eight uh made fourteen minute range jumpers in game one. He's he leads the league of mid range jumpers shooting. He shoot the mid range at fifty uh. Obviously I watched you destroy guys with the MIDI get filed in every game once the game at least you getting filed on the MIDI. Yeah, you that ultimately it can still be as effective versus the threes in today's game.
Speaker 1: No, you need a diversity of play in today's game. And I say that because of just the way the game rules have changed, is m hmm. And then the way that we prioritize the analytics in today's game. So and so with that roster construction, you know will be built around you know, spacing the floor, taking the best shots, being more efficient. And you know, again we come from a different cloth, a little bit from from different eras of how we played inside out, right, and that train.
Speaker 4: Has left the station, fellas, and it's not come back.
Speaker 1: You know, I think until you know, I think you had your kids, you got embiid, you got guys that are dominant in the in the post. But again, these guys can shoot threes, right and and you know again they they can clay make out of the post. So you look at what s she A does. He had thirty eight. How many threes did he take? He took six threes as well, right, so you know he can also burn you off the dribble from the three. You gotta you gotta respect it. So now he can get you on his hip. And for a MIDI guy, that's that's where you want to, you know, on your hip, create space, get to your slot. And it was it was looking beautiful out there, But no, I think you definitely need more diversity in play because of how fast the game is now, and you got to keep the defense guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think you speak. You speak about getting a guy on your hip for the mini. I actually think if I'm guarding shape, I'm sending him left. I'm riding his right arm and I'm not recovering on the drive. So if he want to go to the rim every time and try to shoot a layup, I'm gonna have my help come over late. And when I had to help come over late because shake him past the ball. But he not a passer like last second or all you come help last second, dish. He ain't passing it like that, like once he gets his minal score and going to the rim, he getting to the cover, and so I'll help late. And anytime he's start driving left, I'm not cutting him off. We used to do it the Jr. Smith Doc because he wanted to step back. Obviously, Shae's a totally different player than Jr. But and certain guys lou will where you don't cut him off because they looking in the stop and shoot, shoot the step back and Shade is like that, and if you get your body in front of him.
Speaker 5: He gonna showder you. And if he missed with that shoulder, he gonna forearm you and he get off.
Speaker 2: He get away with that, And so you can't get in front of him because you take your help of what out of the picture and he just shooting a wide open MIDI every time, I think you actually should ride the hip on him.
Speaker 4: When we played when we played.
Speaker 2: Boston in the finals a few years back, I noticed something and playing against them, and we put this rule in the series. I noticed that Jalen Brown could pass, but if you help early on him, he couldn't make the past like he wasn't at that time. He wasn't strong making the past if you help up early. So with him, we will help up as soon as he started driving, we will help up early.
Speaker 4: With JT.
Speaker 2: We know he would make the past early, so we helped late, like right at the rim, we helped on JT. And it gets that detailed at this point. And okay, and I think Indiana, that's something that they need to figure out, like do not get in front of Shade getting love, don't get in front of him, just ride the right arm and force him all the way to the rim. You got my Turner at the rim. You got times Ryan at the rim. You got over top of that the rim. Is he gonna hit enough layups to beat you. And another thing with those layups, when he go and take those tough layups, he fall down. Well guess what, Indiana, that's the advantage because they're getting out running.
Speaker 4: You get.
Speaker 3: Boom.
Speaker 5: He getting before you running.
Speaker 2: And so I think, you know when I look at when I look at that, and I hear you say like you want to get that guy on your hip dot Your jump shot was like this, So you man, you.
Speaker 3: Scared of that man?
Speaker 2: You get your shot up here and a guy get on your side. It really don't matter because your shot was way up here. Say up there like that, and so my guy ride is hip like that. It could bother him a little bit, I think, But.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, go ahead, go ahead, full that in. I was gonna say, just real quick. He does like to get to that spot. I honestly think he likes to go left with the with the MIDI because it's right shoulder, right.
Speaker 4: To the spot.
Speaker 1: You know when you bring the hell now, you give him something to think about and as we know, so you're getting me back.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm in the foxhol again on the sweat a little bit. Uh.
Speaker 1: When you we know it's only a couple of guys that can make that type of pass, you know, on time, on target, because when you bring in the double, it's only a few guys one that they get double teamed offense, so they have to read it. They know it's coming, they know where to Outlet's but the Bronze, the Lucas, the guys that can really you know, make that drive and then hit the open man right because we know that we're doubling. The back line is already we already thinking okay, I'm in rotation at what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So I'm thinking I'm ready to shoot out.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to feel So that's interesting because he does want to get to that baseline and he will pull up.
Speaker 4: But if you break the help now, what is what is his next move exactly? You know?
Speaker 3: Or or just to play Devil's advocate if you're the coach of OKAC, right to your play about the mini, It's hard to get to the mini because everybody's on the perimeter that we play your bigs and you get your big send down in the block, you're gonna have space to ice up. And so it creates a different dynamic because you got now you got a couple people below the free throw line in the ghost area. And now for for sga, he can operate in that elbow at fifteen sixteen foot because I say, for us now with the Warriors, which' all was so good at y'all will push the brake kick ahead to you and you already had the you already had ten feet. He was already at ten feet ulb one on one with action on the backside. And so for okay, see they kind of play these big dudes down the stretch because if you play five out, you play small. Shake can't get to is. He can't get to the mini. He gotta go all the way to the ole. You can't get to the mini because everybody is hovering around the perimeter.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's a good point. That's a good point. Last week just that up Drew. I don't know if you remember this. We played obviously the twenty sixteen and I hate the I hate talking about you know, twenty points in that game one because we lost, So who cares the series, but we lost twenty sixteen to Cleveland. We come twenty seventeen and you know, the Calves they're playing kind of the same way, but they're playing they're actually a better team. And I remember at the time we got KD and Kyrie the way that he plays, the way that he burnt us really in those that that Game five, Game seven, getting to his spots and if you watch, you know, being able to you know, like I mean, he comes from Kobe's school in that way footwork, spind fade right, like getting to spots. And I feel like I remember Steve talking about we were watching film and it's like, you guys that are at the nail, if you could get.
Speaker 4: In and can test from the behind, from the.
Speaker 1: Backs of the review contests, a rear view contest, and I remember Kay getting a couple of those drag into those and just so that's something to think about with Indiana, right, just those kind of.
Speaker 4: In those pockets.
Speaker 1: It's it's you know, it's hard because you don't want to file and the guys and whatnot, but it's just something to think about. And to me, that's where Okay, see I'm watching them in the first half I'm like, damn, these boys everywhere give rotating. If you turn your back, they own you. You know, they biting down, you know what I'm saying. And they got hands and so I'm just you know, that's just kind of the game within the game where you go back, you watch the film, you see how you can you know, how you can prove on those sucks.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I agree with that one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Like in Indiana, I think they get the opportunity to watch this film too.
Speaker 5: I think they'll pick up on some of those little nuances, you know, and.
Speaker 2: That those little those little things like you make shape, think about an extra shot or two like this that can change in the entire game, which one game can change an entire series.
Speaker 5: So you have to pick up on those little nuances.
Speaker 3: As man, Okay see been drawn close similarities to the twenty fourteen twenty fifteen Golden State Warriors because won the playoff record, the offense, the defensive raigning average aged team in the regular season record. Sean j Uh, do you think this okt okay s team is similar to the twenty twenty the twenty fourteen twenty fifteen Warriors squad that chall was up where I think they're Where I think they're similar is.
Speaker 2: The age young guys, you know, with a few vets like Hardenstein, not Check and those guys age Sean Andre. They weren't our age, you know what I'm say, and so we kind of had that balance and Boged you know, d Lee, they they were little. Oh they're so Caruso has been there before, right, So like I think they got a few vets like we had, that kind of settles things down for them. And they got young guys Shay and you know JD just kind of out there run a while, doing their thing, relying on their talent and you know, obviously thinking the game, but not to the level of the Vets because they've just seen more, you know, and so the vets see more, they help you more, they see these things, they seeing these things developed, and so I think they are in that aspect obviously.
Speaker 3: I've seen the playoff record very similar.
Speaker 2: Offensive rated and I think, you know, we we were number one, they're like three.
Speaker 5: Defensive rating were both number one. I saw those things.
Speaker 2: The end of season record, I think they're sixty eight with sixty seven, and so I see all of that stuff, and I see a young team that's gone through their lumps, like they lost in the second round last year, and which what seems now to be poised to take that final step.
Speaker 3: I can see those similarities.
Speaker 2: But the style of play couldn't be further from the same. I think it's a completely different style of play. All of the things I see for sure, and I you know, uh, that can be great. You gotta you gotta close it out. You gotta finish the deal in order for those comparisons to really mean something. If you don't finish the deal, those comparisons don't mean anything. But the style of the styles of play is what I would say is drastic and.
Speaker 3: Different similarities, similarities, similarities.
Speaker 4: It's definitely it's definitely similar. I mean, he nailed all the points. I mean, we you know, he really nailed it.
Speaker 1: Like listen, they were the best by far this season, by far, and honestly watching them too, they did not take games off.
Speaker 4: Oh, Like that was one thing.
Speaker 1: If they were supposed to be a team that was that they were a lot better than They beat the dog shit out of that team, right right, And so the habits that they were building, that's what I watched and I see I'm like, okay, you know the steps. I think when I came to this team twenty fifteen, I had come from playing with Kevin Garnet, Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Darren Williams. These guys were kind of already cemented in their careers, former champions, veterans. They had a mindset about winning where they expected to win. When I came to Golden State, they had already tasted winning, and I felt like they wanted to win.
Speaker 4: And I had never been further further than the semi conference finals. Dre might have been to the conference finals, but none of us had been to the finals, similar to this team with okay see, So watching some of you know again, I was interested to see who is gonna settle into this game tonight and then where you know, the light's gonna be too big?
Speaker 1: You know, which team is the light's gonna be too break for. But watching okay see towards the end, it does remind me a little bit of our first year going you know, when when Kyrie and Kevin Love went down and they went up to one right and it's like we're not you know, like again, they should they probably should have won this game, okay, and and and so watching them, watching the Pacers come back, you start to see a little bit of that experience, you know, even maybe on the coaching side and not the not the shots. But again, this is new, this is the and this is now you filling it out and you you can only get this by going through it right. So that part absolutely so like that part now, you know, reminds me. And those are the similarities to where Okay, now we got to figure it out. Now, we got to figure out how to win right like we you know, in these moments too when it matters. And I think watching them, they have all the ingredients. Obviously you know they're they're the favorites. But like you said, you got to walk the walk now, and it's one thing to do it. And just last point on that, when we came in again, none of us had any experience. Bron Broun went to the finals, what six seven years in a row, and also.
Speaker 2: Fifteen he went and eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, then fifteen thousands, fifth year in a row.
Speaker 4: Fifth year in a row.
Speaker 1: And I just remember I'm coming off the bench, so I'm trying to catch the flow of the game. I'm watching everybody's energy and I'm just seeing just the difference in how he you know, how he's approaching Orchestrating's just the calmness, the coise, right, and it's contagious. It kind of trickles down, if you will. And I think we were searching for that, right because I mean it's Steph first time, it's Clay first time. They what twenty six, twenty seven, you know, like, so nobody had that experience.
Speaker 4: But I think, you know, again.
Speaker 1: This is this is character building for Oka see, So we'll see what they do with it.
Speaker 7: Blending Vice's signature dynamic storytelling with the high octane world of sports, Vice Sports brings an exciting and diverse range of programming that goes beyond the game, catch action packed live events, and exclusive sports documentaries and profiles only on Vice TV.
Speaker 2: You just mentioned Okay see being in the face ever to win. Do you think people are underestimating how good of a coach Rick Carlole is. You know, he he obviously coached Dallas, which we just spoke on bron who beat Miami, upset Miami and the NBA Finals. Do you think people are looking past that and not that Mark dad knows a great I think Mark dad knows a great coach.
Speaker 5: But there's always something to say for the guy that's been there.
Speaker 2: And here's what I will say, Rick Carlisle is coaching for every coach that has won a championship.
Speaker 5: Because I'm gonna let y'all hit on a little secret, folks.
Speaker 2: None of the coaches that has won a championship want to have new coaches enter into that that fraternity. They like to keep that small. You know, maybe they don't win it, but maybe a guy who's won it is won it. They don't like new, new, new applicants, new entries and to that and to that fraternity. So Rick Carlisle understand, Rico was coaching for every coach that has won a championship right now. But do y'all think people are underestimating his experience and what he's been through in these different playoff situations?
Speaker 4: Shit, I know more.
Speaker 3: You can't, man, if you don't you know, if you don't think Rick Carlisle is a great coach for me, Look what he did with Indiana. He took them to the finals. You know, look what he did with Dallas in that run, right, you know, like reconstructed like a reconstructed Dallas team, a older team like Rick Carlisle coach man, Rick Carlole been in the game. He know a game, he love a game, and you can see he's not afraid to make adjustments. There's a confidence that I think you know, Dre. We talked about it, uh when we was in New York in the next series. There was just a confidence of man, what is he doing? Why is this person? Why? And and it just worked. He plays ten, he may play eleven. He has so much confidence and his players have so much freedom that they over index Obi topping the night five threes? Right, is it a genius move? It's the move he may right, And he's not afraid to make those moves. And I think everything he does is calculated and has and and being in that moment. He has scripts that he can pull from. Right, he has an old playbook that he can pull from and say maybe this will work as opposed to okac where hey, we had this in the playbook and we had this before the game. If this happens, we can go small. But he still win this game.
Speaker 2: Right now, That's the fact I think when I when I look at this, this Indiana team where Rick Carlo dot spoke about our first time doing it, like and how none of us had done it, and he spoke on the levels that we had played on the one person that had been through it out of all of us with Steve Kerr, and he was the one that was kind of telling us, hey, fellas, this is going to be a little different on this day. You're gonna have to practice at the arena. We don't really practice at the arenas. That's going to be different. He's like, you know when we got when you go out to shoot, there's gonna be a million people around the court.
Speaker 5: Like it's just kind of throws off your routine a little bit.
Speaker 2: You had to you will have the hunch to start going to talk to people, you know, stay locked into your routine. You know, there was uh what was we oh the opening practice the day before where the media come into your practice. Like he's he's kind of telling us all these things, preparing us for this moment. Whereas I don't know if Okac has it an Alex Caruso, but having that in a coach like it's extremely calm. Me Like Steve would just be like, all right, we're cool. Like, oh that happened, all right, no problem, Like, we'll do this now. And the confidence he would have trickle down to us, you know what I'm saying. And so they got Rick Carlile, who I can see is doing that.
Speaker 5: He's cool.
Speaker 2: It's other side of the pillow. Sam's obviously doing it, you know. And and and that team is feeding off that, and I think that's a that's a dangerous thing to have. And the experience that Rick Carlile can pull from in that playoff run along, he went through the Lakers with Kobe, he went through kat Russ, James harden k and then they played Bron Wade and Bosh And in all of those series they were combined twelve and three.
Speaker 5: Like, like, Rick Carlile.
Speaker 2: Know what he doing and he showed that with some of the chess moves he made tonight. And I'm looking forward to watching that matchup amongst the two coaches, the chess moves that they've made throughout the course of the series. I think that's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Absolutely And and and don't forget I mean I'm taking away back now, but this man was with Indiana when Mary Bird took the places to the finals, yes, that was I mean we talked two thousand, but again, just that experience is invaluable and and hitting on that with Steve, It's like there's nothing like going through it and then having someone give you kind of the blueprint or snapshot of what to expect, you know, from a from a leadership standpoint.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I feel like Carlisle was in Detroit too, wasn't he in Detroit when they made.
Speaker 2: Conference finals? They went to a couple of conference finals with in Detroit. Just let him going Brough Larry Bird And I mean, right, that's yes, I remember, Yes, So he season though. That's the thing is, you know.
Speaker 3: He has Yeah, he got he got a lot to draw from or he got a lot to draw from. And I like watching him coach because he make in game adjustments and he's not afraid to make those adjustments to switch those adjustments up because a lot of times coaches don't have counters for counters, yeah right, they have scripts, and they have game plans, and they go off their script. They go off their game plan, and sometimes you don't have a feel for the actual game or not paying attention to the actual game if it's not going to your plan. And Rick Carlisle was like, you know what, hold on, this is not going to our plan. Let's switch it up and see if we can find tempo. We can control tempo and give ourselves a chance. Maybe we can shoot more threes or pick up the pace.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You gotta have a coach like that, especially in the finals. And Steve Carr does that too. He did that a lot. I watch y'all make adjustments. I watch y'all make a lineup change. Not so much lineup changes, but matchup changes. Start working through other people, working through other matchups, just to get the Steph Clay Katie back in script right, just to get the three points hitting again. And so you have to have these counters and counters for the counter to be able to keep your flowing. And it's just hard to bet against Rick Carlisle because he battle tested.
Speaker 1: If there's something that's to say too about being poised, and I don't you know again, I think this is very underrated from just a human component, you and that head coach and see in the finals it's a lot of pressure. But again this is what that experience comes into. Empower and stay with the guy when he messing up, when the Pacers came out again, they would turn the ball over and I seen it was a couple of guys that was a little shaky, you know, and again just just throwing the ball around and that's okay, it happens, but just hearing him from the side and one, hey, sorry, next play mentality. It gets you out of your own head right to where now, okay, I'm in the game. And some of those guys you see like they're in the game in the fourth quarter making big shots now right because they didn't let the first quarter, the first half dictate how they finished the game. And a lot of that is coaching and your coach pulling you when you throw it away right away, you know, telling you next next shot mentality you are you know, next play, come on, fellas, we got it. And those are the little things in that environment. And we all play with all three of us. You know, we played in okay, see, we know how loud that arena is, like you know, it's it's it's pressure in the finals, everybody watching. You want to perform, your whole family watching, You want to put on for your city, put on for your family, every all all of.
Speaker 4: That, but you gotta just It's still basketball.
Speaker 2: That's that's a fact. And also not to be uh, not to be forgotten. Rick Carlo also won a championship as an NBA player, So so you know, here a champion through and through and he's showing that. Boys. But before we continue with more basketball talk, we have to mention that if you care about NBA history, you need to check this out.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: One move changed everything.
Speaker 2: The all news series The Grudge from Vice Sports, It's a must watch.
Speaker 3: This week's episode takes us back to nineteen ninety five when pat Riley from the Knicks. Not in when pat Riley left the Knicks, not in a press conference, but the facts. Then he joined the Miami Heat and created the franchise we know today. That one move lit the fuse on a rivalry that would define both teams for years.
Speaker 2: We lived these twists and turns and look behind the curtain of what was really going on. The finale of The Grudge unpacks every angle, the betrayal, the bad blood, and the battles on the court that followed.
Speaker 3: Wahton Grudge Finale Wednesday at ten pm Eastern only on Vice TV. Find your channel at vicetv dot com. Move around the league.
Speaker 2: A little bit conversation has been going around the league about big name players like uh and uh, like does that player to market? No? Does the player need to go to the market to become a superstar? Guys like Shack say a bigger market doesn't matter. However, Stephen A believes that market size doesn't matter to only transcend the players like Shaq. Do y'all think market size matters when it comes to be becoming the face of the NBA.
Speaker 3: Championships matter? I mean it's hard to say. I mean it's really hard to say. I think the face of the league is.
Speaker 4: Swag.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: I don't think it matters of being in the market, being in the big market and becoming a face in the NBA. I'll tell you why. I know for sure it don't matter because Lebron James became the face of the NBA Cleveland, Ohio, and that's not a big market by any stretch of imagination. Different, So I think you have to be that great and and I think I think what more so this brings up is because stephen They was saying, like the pressure you get and when you're playing in New York or the pressure you get when you're playing in LA I want to tell you the same pressure those guys get when they're playing in those cities. Lebron James got that pressure in Cleveland. In Cleveland, if he didn't win, like there's noise, there's this he can't do it no more. Steph Curry get that same pressure in San Francisco, California.
Speaker 5: But if you don't win, it's a failure. Can they still do it?
Speaker 2: It's the dynasty over When you are that great, the greatness creates the pressure every year, You're honest, you know, you're honest, be having these these press conferences at the end of the year. They'd be so for philosophical you know, and be getting deep into press conferences. But it be because people are asking questions like, man, why you ain't winning? You know, like that those guys are under pressure no matter where they are. Is now is the media from the media standpoint? Are they going to talk a little more? Of course, The New York Post is going to get more eyes, you know, the New York Times, like when you're in markets like that, when you're in LA like yes, the Los Angeles Times and like different, like those things are bigger so I'm not saying the thing don't get bigger.
Speaker 5: But Lebron James was Lebron James without.
Speaker 2: Los Angeles, like and and Gianni's becass become Jiannis and Milwaukee, Wisconsin, like Joker has become Joker in Denver, Colorado. Luka Doncas didn't become this Luca Doncis when he went to La Luca Doncis became that in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Why did Lebron go to the Lakers? I ain't gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Because I'm I think that's much bigger than just going to the Lakers, right right, That that's a chest that you're making about the game of life. That's that's way bigger than just going to play basketball somewhere. So I don't think I disagree like I think Yannest. What the I think what this brings up is is how many true superstars are there? Because Joannest is actually a true superstar. Well, the Yani is in New Yorker, Yannic is in Milwaukee, Like, yeah, they may have more a few more national TV games because he's in New York City, but Jannis is going to be honest, no matter where the hell are you.
Speaker 4: At, right Well, I agree with that. I agree, I agree, No, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I think your question is do you have to go to a big market to be the face of the NBA. I say no, but there. But to elaborate on where you were going with pressure, I think we all understand there are more pressure there there. You know, you have more pressure in those bigger markets. And I can see why stephen A says that because you are the media, right, so you know, and you we know what the media is like in La New York, you know, Boston and Chicago. Yeah, there there is cutthroat, right. They've seen Mike, they seen Magic, right, they've seen bird like so yes, and you will you will constantly be compared to some of those great players. But to be the face of the NBA. No, it matters what you do on the floor. At the end of the day, if you win, they will period, they will come. And that's the point with Giannis, right, like he's been able to establish himself consistently. Every night he goes out, he performs at a high level, and he gives what he gives and he separates himself right from kind of the rest maybe from you know all from the rest of the all stars, you know, to being a star. So it's still about production. It's still when it's still winning, and it's still about that at the highest moments, like you know, to do it on the stage, right, like when when it really matters. Can you put your team in a position to win because of you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Can you carry your team right? Because it's we we all know that you're the guy. And so I think again, those those to me are the true superstars. And I don't think whether it's Memphis, whether it's you know a BD you said, swag appeal matters right because media and the social media, the culture right story. Yeah, absolutely, the narrative, so that matters too, But it still comes down to production in my eyes.
Speaker 2: But check this, check this out, b D and DOT. I think back in the day, the media in New York and LA was different back in the day. Yeah, but today we all under that same scrutiny, like you're gonna first tain't want to come on in the morning.
Speaker 5: Steven ain't gonna be on there crushing you.
Speaker 2: Kendrick Perker is going to be on there crushing you if you are one of the guys like that, that's what they're gonna do. And so yes, it used to be like man in New York, the media they would crush you and La the media they would crush you. But that was before the media culture of what it is became what it is today. And I think now like most guys are under that same scrutiny, like no matter to market you in if you are a star, like you under that same scrutiny, I end up getting discussed on on first Tape all the time, regardless of what it's about. They're discussing me on that show quite a bit. And I'm not in New York, I'm not in Los Angeles, and by all accounts, I'm not a superstar. But yet I'm always being discussed on that show. So I don't think that necessarily backs up, you know, Like I think it's the teams that matter. I think it's the guys that matter, Like and how do you make a team matter? The Golden State Warriors never matter? We made that team matter, like, and so they're always discussing the Warriors Now, I think you have to make those things matter. I don't think it's the city anymore, like because media is nation wide now like it's it's worldwide, like this is a basketball is a global game, Like there's someone in and and and Serbia talking about the games, and so I don't think it's specific to only certain markets. I think it's specific to certain teams and certain guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they put they put this era, they put Miss Dugs on Sports Center.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the highlights. Yeah, you know, like like.
Speaker 3: So that goes to show you, like you got miss Dunks making Sports Center where we used to have to you know, you gotta dunk on somebody, do something, be something. But I think for Yanni's what it is is it's also like he's tasted gold, right, and for let's say the three years that Milwaukee was number one and couldn't do it, he had a story, a journey, it was a hero's journey. When he won his title, it was like, damn, boy, do that man deserve that? Boy? Do that man? Like has he reached a whole nother echelon and level right of legacy that he's carving out for self in the NBA? And then the next year and the next year, you're not getting close. You're getting further and further away from that championship. So I think for for Giannis, it's really they're they're not a contender, They're not really contended. And so for him being a Finals MVP, the Finals MVP like being able to taste that like he had a he had a great run, back to back MVPs. Everybody was talking about Milwaukee. Milwaukee was the talk of town. But when you're not winning, you're not winning then, and you in these small markets, it's hard to be staying in Discovery like it's it's hard to be a face to the league. But to your point, Dan, everybody got media, it's just now it's like, for be honest, he gotta he gotta be on a winning team.
Speaker 2: Does New York City or Los Angeles though life doesn't have to be there because that's kind of what they were getting in.
Speaker 3: No, he just gotta be on the team that wins. Yeah, he just got to be on the team that wins, right, Because I mean, you can say playing in New York gonna make you a bigger star, gonna get you more endorsements, you gonna have more ship to do. But if you not win it and you are a superstar at Gannis level, it don't matter where you go. You go to Lakers, you go to New York. If you don't win and you do the same thing you did in Milwaukee, it's ten times worse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Because of what he's accomplished too, because who you know, we know who he.
Speaker 4: Is at this stage in his career, right, like what he's capable of.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I don't mind what's happening with Okay, see, I don't mind what's happening with Indiana in this matchup.
Speaker 4: And again, the best.
Speaker 1: Team you know, Shaye was in l A right and to go through the rebuild now he was young.
Speaker 5: He also was with the Lakers. That's the different.
Speaker 2: I know you job Bott the Clippers. I know you got a soft spot, but that's it's just a little different, BD, b D. I know y'all got the Clippers, but you know, BD, you from l A. Y'all know it's a little.
Speaker 3: Lebron go to the Lakers. I'm just saying he was already a superstar.
Speaker 2: Of course he was Lebron.
Speaker 3: If he was already the face to the league.
Speaker 2: You're not to go to LA because that's crazy. You're gonna act like in two thousand and seven when we was playing in the NBA Finals over and over and over again, Lebron wasn't Lebron You're gonna really act like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm agreeing with you, Bro, I'm just.
Speaker 2: Saying, why did he have to go to LA because it was about more than basketball?
Speaker 3: Okay? So you know, I think so he still needed he felt like he needed a bigger platform.
Speaker 2: I think that's about more than basketball. That's also also at that point, he's in what year sixteen? He who wants to live in Cleveland? I love my folks in Cleveland, but I want to live in Los Angeles. Is great living in Los Angeles? So that I mean, so relate. I relate that to Gianni's For me, that ain't got nothing to do with me. The biggest news outside of the NBA Finals, it's obviously Tom Timberdeau being fired after leading the Knicks to their first Eastern Conference finals in twenty five years. What was your reaction, both y'all reaction to the next letting them go? I've been lucky enough to have two coaches in my career, have y'all, And honestly, I will say for myself, I was shocked as hell when when when Mark got fired because we had just went to two playoff a pair instance, back to back years and the Warriors hadn't seen that type of success.
Speaker 3: So I was shot by that.
Speaker 2: But in saying that, y'all have probably experienced a little bit more than I have. What's it like when you feel like a coach should or shouldn't be fired? And do you think it was right that time too was fired?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I go first because I played probably on more losing teams than y'all two, So I've seen more coaches get It's tough, man, man.
Speaker 2: You you got three championships they played on.
Speaker 4: We believe. Come on, I'm talking with some else.
Speaker 3: Wake up lucky, you know what I mean. Some people wake up lucky, you know what I mean? So some people wake up lucky is shit, you know what I mean. Some people wake up in the fucking uh you know, in the nice seater side, not so like yeah, in the clinic, bro, you know what I mean. And you gotta you know the same baby, right right, it's a certain babies just handled with care.
Speaker 4: Hey man, it'd be like that. It's like that.
Speaker 1: I'm looking I'm looking at the situation with the Knicks in New York. I'm like, he's taking you to the playoffs, right, he one, he was a coach of the year.
Speaker 4: That obviously doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: We see, you know, guys that get fired the next year after being coach of the year. But you know, again, after what they've been through, probably since I've been in the league, they haven't really been relevant, you know, as far as really believing that they can have a chance to win a championship.
Speaker 4: I think this is the closest that they have been.
Speaker 1: And I think you attribute that to Tom Thibodeau, right, you know, obviously Jalen Brunson, you get him.
Speaker 4: I think he goes to the Knicks because of Tom Thibodeaux.
Speaker 1: And I look at these teams and I played for coaches in similar fashion that because of the way they coach, they will turn a team around. Tom Thibodeau is known in Chicago, when he was in New York, Minnesota like of turning a team around, and they play playoff basketball in the regular season.
Speaker 4: And that's because of the habits and how he coaches.
Speaker 1: You know, his teams like they practice, right, like we all know that, you know, like he practiced, you know pretty much probably you know, I'm not gonna say every day, but this man, like you know, again, he's from the old school, so in that he doesn't He's not really a coach that's gonna make a lot of adjustments. He's probably a coach that's gonna make you play his style and his brand of basketball.
Speaker 4: Right now, does that.
Speaker 1: Lead to right maybe you know, the organization thinking that he should do things differently. Can you know, can you not be on the same page with the organization, because now you know, like, are you you know, is he too stubborn in his ways?
Speaker 4: Right with with some of the ways that he operates.
Speaker 1: Those are the questions, you know, like over the course of each you know, each each organization he's at, they're they're get they're they're getting to the conference finals, they're winning fifty plus games every season. You know, these teams have been successful under his watch. And again, you know, sometimes you overcorrect. I think you look at the Phoenix Suns when they had Nash and those guys, and they kept getting to the conference finals and the conference finals. And now you go and you trade for Shaq, and you go and you do all these different things and try to switch up and you're right there.
Speaker 4: And sometimes, you know, sometimes it takes a little knock.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'm not like ball needs about like, look at the shot haller Berg hit the first game, But of that series, if he doesn't hit that shot against the Knicks, right, is it a different series. Like so all those little things that you question, you say, Okay, well it's the coach. And that's the hard part about the NBA because the gavelwell fall on the head coach. He's the first to go, we know that. And now who do you bring in to say this person, whoever they are, we expect them to take us, not to the conference finals, to the finals.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of the expectation that you're setting as an organization by firing Tom Thibodeau.
Speaker 3: Right now, yeah, I would say you will. There always regrets when Thibodeau leaves, because you need there's a there's a huge part of him in his DNA that got you to that, right. But at the same time, there's also maybe a personality like there's a team personality disorder or a dysfunction that as you continue to go, you start to see like, oh, like they just play hard and they're talented, right, and you start realizing that in order to get over that next hump, you gotta have that Thibodeau personality in that DNA, but you also got to have somebody who is paying attention to the game. And when I when we watch the Knicks, you know the reason why I'm looking at it. And I said, at the beginning of the season, Dane, you can't play seven guys the whole year. And so at some point, you know, this is year five for TIBs og Anobi, Michel Bridges, Josh Hart, playing all of them goddamn minutes next year are they gonna be hurt? Cat? And so you run the risks of I mean, it's just a fine line because like you run the risk of, like damn, we was right there, Tims got us right there. We bring a new voice in maybe he a little bit ling it, but maybe that ain't what they need. You feel what I'm saying. We talk about the Knicks next tape, Oh yeah, maybe that ain't what they need, or maybe they're one or two players away. I remember when Houston let go Trevor Resa, and you know, people didn't pay much of time to it, But to me, I said, Houston is not going to be the same because sometimes it's the dude in the locker role, right, that hold everybody down.
Speaker 2: That's the fact. Now, that's the fact. I agree one thousand percent.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 2: I think what just happened to TIBs is this, and you see it quite a bit in the NBA these days due to and in part two, I think the success that we had and on that run with Cleveland and the dominance that was going to the NBA at that time, every all the conversations nowadays that your championship, championship, championship, and in turn, people try to ignore the process in getting to a championship.
Speaker 5: That shit is hard and it takes time, and the timement is different from me and people.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're firing TIBs, if you're firing Tips because you just think ought like.
Speaker 3: He ain't the guy to get us there, that's one thing.
Speaker 2: But if you're blaming him for not winning a championship with this team, that's not the right thing, because that's not a championship. Ross. I don't believe that the New York Knicks as currently constructed today, I don't think that that team can win a championship. I don't give a damn how many players team to play all year. I don't think that team can win a championship. I think what Tom Tiberdeau did and getting that team to their first conference finals in twenty five years, I think that steps in the right direction to move it towards the right direction. I think that's a step in the right direction. That's say, hey, front office, we may be to bet the's point a guy or two away and really making this thing go and like really getting over that hump. Me personally, I don't think the guyer too is some small guy. I think they need like like one of the more. I personally think like that team needs that. And so no, I don't. I don't agree that Tim should have been fired based off of this team not winning a championship as if they were championship or bus and under chief their pet rolls they say that, but the oy tests coming from somebody who I believe, I know what that looks like.
Speaker 1: Now, it's hard to because you end up measuring yourself against what the Golden State Warriors was able to accomplish or the Cavaliers have it. You know, like you start looking at the teams and how they build. Denver Milwaukee got you know again, you start looking at these teams how they were put together and you say, okay, we we've we've had some success. We are right there, and again, is this the guy that can get us there? I don't you know, again they have to answer that question. But we're in this era of instant gratification because of what the media and you know, the business and you know, again we all benefit and then you know, we all benefit. So you know, it is a beautiful thing. The game has grown. You know, we have giants. You know, people have contributed to that over time that we have to think, you know, and obviously the NBA has done a great job. But because of that, now the pressure cooker is a lot higher, you know, the temperatures a lot higher, you know, as far as I need to win right now, right like, because again you know the process, what it takes. Can you go through what okay, so you went through, you know, get to where they are now and the top that it takes to get there. Can you make it through that time in New York at that right where you know they calling for heads out there right uh, their fans with the Lakers, you know, because let's be honest, the fans can be spoiled sometimes, you know, like especially when you take success. You think it's easy in this world. So it will be interesting to see what happens. But I would agree. I think you know, they could benefit, for you know, from from adding a couple of other pieces.
Speaker 4: But we'll see.
Speaker 3: One thousand man, DoD, We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: My brother coming on the show means a lot, you know, I know it means a lot to be deep, but just mean a lot to me. Uh, just having an opportunity to share the time that I share it with you and come on shop it up after the finals before you get out of here.
Speaker 5: Who you got winning this championship?
Speaker 4: My dog? Oh man, I don't do that to me.
Speaker 2: Who you got.
Speaker 4: Me? Man?
Speaker 1: We out here in the West, Man, So I'm gonna go in and go and stay local, stay local.
Speaker 3: Okay, clean it up, man, young money.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, my brother, Sir, my daughter, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Love love to the fam to my brother always.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, it's our first live one man. Congratulations Johnny.
Speaker 4: Appreciate your brother got through it. That was great. Cool.
Speaker 2: You know we are you know, I do got a couple more questions that I want to run by you before we get off But before we do that, I have to remind you that ice Q is Big Three League Tips Office new season on Vice TV, and the opener is stacked with talent. Saturday June fourteenth of Houston rig Hands led by NBA veterans Jerald Green and Cory Brewer and coach by Hall of Fame with Calvin Murphy take on DMV trilogy featuring Earl Clark, Isaiah Obrisco and coach by former NBA champ Stephen Jackson.
Speaker 3: So check that out later. The Boston ball Hogs with twenty twenty two Big Three MVP Kevin Murphy, coach by the Glove my Dog Gary Paytondness. They a town business. They go against Dallas Power headlined by Glenn Rice Junior and Royce White, with Hall of Famer Nancy Leeberman calling the shots. This isn't a warm up. It's real competition, fast, physical, and every possession matters.
Speaker 2: So don't miss the Big Three season opener Saturday June fourteenth at six o three pm Eastern only on Vice TV. Find your channel now at vicetv dot com. All right, man, I got a question for you. Talk to me.
Speaker 3: After watching Game one? Who do you have win in the series.
Speaker 4: I'm worried.
Speaker 3: I'm worried.
Speaker 2: I'm worried for OKC man, you cost you cost twenty first nineteen first half turnovers and you couldn't wall enough to pull away at least to get up twenty points, like twenty turnovers, like nineteen turnovers and a half. That's insane. And all the guys is not playing well, like nobody scored over twenty points, maybe even seventeen points like that. That to me is scary because you held the Pacers to twenty eleven and their mo is defense. You held them to twent eleven and you lost. Yeah, that's the problem because they gonna get They gonna get on like they gonna get anyway, you know. And so to me, that signal is a big, big, big, big big problem. Man. I have to say, if that's gonna be the case, man, I gotta roll with the Pacers, and I think the Thunders supposed to win.
Speaker 3: But between that and Rick Carlisle, he's just any close game, I'm siding with the Pacers. Okay, see has been manhandling them all in the regular season, all up until that eight minute, that three minute mark or a six minute mark in the fourth.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean shit, Okay, see they should they should be the superior team. They reflected that maybe this is just the game that slaps them up and wakes them up. And then I don't know if you know this, but yeah, yeah, the Pittsburgh Stealers. Y'all want um signing Aaron Rodgers and what you think I'm to do.
Speaker 2: We're about to trade for John new Smith. We're probably gonna trade for another receiver. Super Bowl Pittsburgh, watch out, coming back, shout out to Mike Towland. Absolutely, but I don't think.
Speaker 3: I think Mike Taylan and Aaron Rodgers ain't gonna get allowed. And that's my prediction.
Speaker 5: Aaron Rodgers, don't come drama.
Speaker 2: Don't come in here with drama.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be some drama and Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: There's a way we go about things in Pittsburgh, and you're coming into this culture.
Speaker 3: You must go about things that way, and he will. That's Aaron Rodgers. Man. You can't tell them what to do.
Speaker 2: Man, stop it. Listen here, Aaron Rodgers coming to Pittsburgh. You're coming here brother on one year deal. We're not putting up with no nonsense. You coming here to play, you coming here to win. And at the end of the season last year, last couple of games, he started to Rogers starts stepping up in that pocket. Man, he's coming back from that killers injury step year, and he starts stepping back up in that pocket like Aaron Rodgers. So watch watch still, let's go still.
Speaker 5: Even so we predicted last he predicted, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So you project super Bowls.
Speaker 4: Book it.
Speaker 2: It's happened.
Speaker 5: You can book that last thing before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: I was very vocal at the All Star Game time about it being trash. I thought it was awful and it made no sense that G League guys got to play in the NBA All Star Game.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Adam Silver came out UH a couple of days ago and said it will be us a versus the world. I like the idea. I think that was dope in hockey this year it was a little different. But in saying that, do you like the idea and what do you see, it's possibly being the biggest concerns with the idea.
Speaker 3: Look, man, the problem is is the style. It's like, you're not You're not going it's hard to get the competitive style in an All Star game when the style you play is very similar to what you're trying to reproduce in an All Star game, right, So, like the style that they play now is very similar to like the most magical All Star games that you could see right threes Dougs highlights things like that. So now when those dudes go the like dumbed down the floss right or or show you something else, they're showing you like, man, we can hit for a shots all day. And so I think personally like we've gotten away from I am an All Star, I represent my team. It makes you feel good, It makes you feel good for the players on your team, the organization you're putting on for your city. I say, man, just go back to the jerseys. Let everybody rock their jersey in the All Star Game East West. But you know, we'll see what happens USA versus the world. I just think that it it fucks up the voting, it does.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's what I think about. The voting changes the voting for sure. I think I think eating on a on a world versus USA level is going to create something. Although I don't know if they'll have the same product that will have because it's not necessarily Canada or Serbia, but maybe they will. I don't know, but you know, I see that there's just a lot they're asking, you know, they're they're moving the game to the daytime, and I think that that will make a little bit of a difference. Guys want to get out of there and get the vacation you getting there earlier. Like I think I think that can help a bit. But ultimately, I think if they entertainment that uh, that opening practice that.
Speaker 4: They do, they need to.
Speaker 2: Mix it and go with a real practice so guys can like actually put in some sets and like actually like talking about making this serious and like some time exactly they want to do that. I think they should do that. But you know, you sell tickets to the opening practice and sponsorships, so you know, you've got to give a little to get a little sometimes.
Speaker 3: But I think from an entertainment perspective, you got us versus the world in the middle of the season, I start thinking from a media perspective, just a coverage around the world is going to actually make it, you know, a media spectacle.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, man, we know, All Star Weekend coming up in La What kind of entertainment we're gonna have. Is it gonna be frough, gayzy? You know? Are we gonna have the culture involved? Like All Star Weekend used to be a celebration, like a homecoming yeah to us, where all the players felt like coming. Yes, all the players felt like, hey, man, I got to show up at All Star Weekend to see my former teammates, to see my nephew, my gossa. You start really start to seem like, yo, we are like a big family, and we start getting away with we start getting away from that because now everybody kind of like, oh, you got the corporate party over here, and the corporate party over here. But it's like and everybody's busy, so players don't get a chance to hang out in the lobby and it'd be thirty you know, like how he was in New York. Like that's what All Star Weekend used to be, like, like we all want to dinner, you know what I mean, Like when you was an All Star, everybody's going to the same places. We all hanging out. We're happy to be around each other. It's old, young, new and next to come, you know, and I think that's where we got to get back to. I want to see legends on the sideline of the All Star Game. I don't want to see John Legend. I do not want to see John Legend sitting nowhere on the floor. Bro, they don't fuck with basketball. They don't even matter to the game, right, we don't care that they're watching some legends in those seats, and let's tell their story, right, Man, do not put John Legend on the floor. Okay, that's funny.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: I think, man, I'm gonna go kick it. I'm gonna go kick it. Spill this, Jake Conn.
Speaker 2: That's that's hilarious. I think, I think, I think it can get better. But I've always said this, it just has to be more about the game.
Speaker 4: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: You gotta be about the player.
Speaker 2: We'll see maybe maybe they can get it right. Hopefully hopefully you're not. But you know, all Star weekends the last thing I'll say. All Star Weekend used to be like a cultural like phenomenon, like like culturally like it's lit, like you gotta go to All Star Weekend. All Star Weekend today is just a corporate It's just a corporate.
Speaker 3: Corporate tea party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know those aren't always the most fun. So you know, we'll see, we'll see how it go. But we appreciate you all for tuning in our first live episode UH Indiana Tates Game one. We want to thank Sean Liverston for coming on the show. Thank you all for tuning in til next time. That's a rap from the Draymond Green Show with the legend Baron Davis, My brother. Appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: Peace brief, start child like, subscribe, comment, say this, shout outs for me out