Speaker 1: All right, it's time for your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call. Welcome to the Second Day and Update podcast with Brooke and Jeffrey, of course, the home of the Second Date Update. And I'm just saying you're in for a treat because a bride is trying to stop a best man speech.
Speaker 2: Before it outs her ten year she's been keeping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get to that in just a second, but first, BB wrote us Greetings from the UK. I'm so obsessed with your show and got my best friend hooked as well.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I just think it's so cool how people all over the world are into this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, seriously.
Speaker 1: Marie Aristeed said this show is all I listened to when coming home from work.
Speaker 2: Greetings from Denmark.
Speaker 5: Hey, I am a guy in my stream almost every day now from Germany.
Speaker 2: Oh really for you.
Speaker 1: It's so good that the rest of the world can speak multiple languages where we'll hear just be an idiot's yeah. Another one from Korn wrote, I look forward to this every day listening from South Africa.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much for being part of it.
Speaker 5: We should shut it down America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say we just do all international.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think that's not about idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, let's get into this brand new awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 2: It starts right now.
Speaker 6: When you think of best man's speeches, they're always so well thought out, so sincere concise, never weird or inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? They don't even scribble down anything on a napkin.
Speaker 7: They're like, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll just I'll crack the whole place of maybe so funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah Shakespeare in bro Am.
Speaker 6: I right, Yeah, that's why when one of our listeners emailed us saying she has to stop her husband's best man from giving a speech at all costs, I was like, what.
Speaker 4: We talking about?
Speaker 5: I am shocked.
Speaker 6: Because apparently his speech could ruin not only her wedding, but maybe out a big secret that she's been hiding for the last ten years.
Speaker 2: Wait what now, I'm like, what.
Speaker 4: He is willing to.
Speaker 6: Share in exchange for some help in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call coming up right after this?
Speaker 4: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 6: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. Brooke, you got married once, Yeah he did, And I'm curious how much of a say did you have in picking Michael's Grimsman. Was that one hundred percent your choice? Or did you give him like five percent?
Speaker 2: Say zero percent?
Speaker 4: Zero?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Zero?
Speaker 2: No, No, I had zero percent.
Speaker 6: Why are you putting up air quotes when you say that it was all his choice?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You let him pick out his own grimsman.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't do that giving.
Speaker 4: Away all the power to the man? How nineteen forty?
Speaker 6: But I only ask because one of our listeners is recently engaged and she is having an issue with someone selected for their wedding party.
Speaker 4: Oh so let's talk to her about it. Maria, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: I think, oh you already sound a little annoying Maria.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well okay, so yeah, you teated up. My fiance just told me who the best man is going to be, and I instantly hated it.
Speaker 7: I instantly hated it.
Speaker 2: He's not even a him.
Speaker 1: It's okay, isn't it obviously like his best friend or his brothers?
Speaker 2: Didn't you?
Speaker 1: I mean you kind of just know who that person's person is, right it might be yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Mean we have a really large friend group, so honestly, it could have been two or three different people.
Speaker 4: So was it at this point where.
Speaker 5: You were like hoping it wasn't this one person like anyone but them kind of thing.
Speaker 8: I just really wish I would have been asked before picking this guy to help guide the selection.
Speaker 2: Why does it matter to you?
Speaker 7: Well, here's the deal.
Speaker 8: So my fiance doesn't notice. But I used to date the best man whoa.
Speaker 5: You never told what?
Speaker 8: No, and it's not his brother though, No, it's not a family member.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, because that would be more of a red flag to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the red flag talking about.
Speaker 8: No, I didn't want it to get messy or weird.
Speaker 4: Hi, it's messy now.
Speaker 2: I know how long ago are we talking.
Speaker 7: We're talking like ten years. This is like back in high school.
Speaker 2: Back in high school.
Speaker 7: Feel better.
Speaker 2: It feels a little more innocent, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I didn't know that the guy that I'm dating now now is my fiance is gonna be my fiance either.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So were you all high school friends?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Some of us were friends since high school. Others came around in college. I didn't think that this friend from high school was necessarily going to stick around.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, okay, So but he's made his choice, Like, what are you want to do?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 8: Here's the deal. Like this guy that's going to be the best man, he really liked me, like he was super into me, and I broke.
Speaker 2: It off in high school his heart.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and now so the same person's going to be making a best man speech at my wedding with a microphone and a.
Speaker 7: Couple of breaks.
Speaker 8: But it flipped that we dated and I could just I could just see him doing that.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: So you're actually worried about him outing you for being a liar?
Speaker 2: About you look bad too, right?
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, yeah, but sometimes drunk guys don't think they'll Yeah.
Speaker 5: But it makes her I don't know, You're right, it made them both look bad?
Speaker 2: Does it make me look worse?
Speaker 8: Just so you know, Like I never lied to my fiance age it never came up, Like I kept thinking every year, every maybe six months, like I'll tell him now and then just now here we.
Speaker 4: Are, or like it'll naturally come up. Yeah, like on his deathbed, I was in love with Evan.
Speaker 2: You think it's too late to tell your fiance now?
Speaker 8: God, yes, I think it's gonna be too much.
Speaker 6: Okay, you don't think he would laugh if it came up in the speech at the.
Speaker 2: Wedding No, that's not the timing. No exactly, it might be funny and a difference.
Speaker 6: No, this is good because I clearly need to adjust my wedding speech that.
Speaker 4: I'm learning your exit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so wait, you don't want us to call your fiance about this?
Speaker 8: No, we're gonna call a guy I used to date.
Speaker 4: We're calling the best man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I know it's awkward Tuesday.
Speaker 7: I've heard you guys help other people.
Speaker 5: This is perfectly.
Speaker 1: I have a question, how close are you friendship wise with this guy? Like when was the last time you saw him?
Speaker 8: I mean I see him all the time. We're out in a group, but it's not like we're spending one on one time together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, like Texas friends or you're familiar with each other obviously, so well in the group chat.
Speaker 4: What advice do you want? Like, what do you want to say to this guy?
Speaker 8: I don't know, maybe what exactly to say tell him in a nice way.
Speaker 7: To what.
Speaker 8: I don't know? I just maybe don't be the best man?
Speaker 4: What quit his best man job?
Speaker 2: You can't do that to your fiance.
Speaker 5: Crushed.
Speaker 1: This is going to be coming out of the blue to this guy, Like, don't you think this guy is going to be like, what.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about? We did it in high school? Who cares?
Speaker 8: I don't know. I think he might still have feelings. That's why I want to get ahead of it.
Speaker 1: That's a difference situation that truth is coming out slowly.
Speaker 4: About asking him to completely bow out.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, has he like hit on you or has there been a moment or something?
Speaker 2: Why do you think he has feelings?
Speaker 8: I mean, I have felt like there's been some tension.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it is kind of like you're both in on a little lie because you're not telling you.
Speaker 6: I mean, Brooke, think of the vibe when you hang out with me. It's kind of like that same thing.
Speaker 4: You guy's got the secret, you know, I see the look.
Speaker 2: We never dated love.
Speaker 4: I know you want to, but I'm not going to let it happen.
Speaker 1: I think you miss you're misremembering that segment.
Speaker 2: Feel that I feel like Jeff is her in the situation.
Speaker 4: It's all coming from over on that side of the room.
Speaker 6: And I need to cut this off because we have an important thing to do here.
Speaker 2: Bro I don't have to call my husband awkward.
Speaker 4: I know you never want to call him. Look, let's just you take some time to think some of quality.
Speaker 6: Advice to give to Maria here, so we can come back dial this best man and politely let him know that he needs to either bow out of the wedding or at least not bring up their past relationship during the speech.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, easy for you. So let's do it with your opportunity state phone call right after this hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 4: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 6: Weddings are supposed to be one of the most joyous, fun times of your life. Yes, we have a bride to be who is stressed out, and not for the normal wedding reasons. It's because her fiance picked out his best man and he doesn't know this, but she used to date that guy back in high school.
Speaker 5: Dude, how awkward.
Speaker 4: She'll always know this and.
Speaker 2: They've been keeping the secret, her and the guy for like ten years.
Speaker 6: The worst part, though, is she feels like the guy still might even like her.
Speaker 4: So it all comes it comes down to this. She's asked us to.
Speaker 6: Give her advice about do you ask him to not come to the wedding at all and relieve himself of his best man duties, Oh my god? Or can we ask him to go through with it and just keep his mouth shut and don't say a word, especially with a microphone in his hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is that right, Maria?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So like I'm even more stressful.
Speaker 4: I know I can sense that you're nervous. So let's get you some advice.
Speaker 8: Brook.
Speaker 4: What you got first?
Speaker 1: Okay, First, do not tell him to not be the best man. I'm going to tell you that is just going to create so much drama your husband. No, no, I would say, ask him nicely to not bring it up in the speech.
Speaker 2: And if you have.
Speaker 1: To play a little dirty okay, it's just like you've known this guy for over ten years. You've got to have some like something you can blackmail him with.
Speaker 2: How information? Okay, just a little threatening?
Speaker 4: How do you feel about threatening the best man before the wedding?
Speaker 2: You made your bed? I agree with the high school relationships. There's got to be something cringey you have of thank you.
Speaker 7: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 8: I mean it'd be like a last resort.
Speaker 2: I'd want to say, absolutely, I agree.
Speaker 4: So idle threats are on the table. What do you think you should just say?
Speaker 5: Look, because of our history. My request to you is you show up, but you shut up. Okay, don't say anything about us dating, and that I will consider your official wedding gift to us.
Speaker 2: Oh anything. I kind of like it, Jose, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 1: Say what any bride wanted me to gift.
Speaker 8: What do you think about that, Sad, I didn't even think about the trade off of the wedding gift.
Speaker 5: I think that's actually really I'm smart everything tell me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know who this guy was, but was he plunning on buying a gift? Anyway, I'm gonna let you know at least half of my husband's groomsmans did not get us anything you tell him, He's.
Speaker 6: Like, wow, yeah, Brooks almost threatening her husband's groomsman's now so taking her own advice threatener. Yes, so we will have Brooke on deck to pass out all the threats.
Speaker 7: That you want.
Speaker 6: But I don't think you're gonna need that. But I'm gonna dial this best man and let you talk to him.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, what is his name, by the way, Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Brad Brad. Okay, so Brad Brad is not going to see this coming. But I'm DA's number right now here we go.
Speaker 3: Hello, hoy Brad, it's me.
Speaker 7: Who Maria?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 7: Oh okay, Hey, yeah, I didn't have your number saved or something. I didn't recognize that. What's up?
Speaker 8: Yeah no, I was just looking to see if you had like some time to talk.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Sure, is everything okay? What's going on? Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, everything's fine. You know.
Speaker 7: You sure you're getting married?
Speaker 2: Excited?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just uh yeah, well you know, it's just a little awkward of everything.
Speaker 7: You know, what do you mean, something wrong with like the venue or something.
Speaker 8: No, No, you're fine. It's it's just like with us, with our history, right, like our relationships.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you even want to call it that, I didn't even think about it, like what about it?
Speaker 8: I mean, like we we went out, what are you talking about? Like it was like seven or eight months.
Speaker 7: I mean I wouldn't even call that a relationship, like almost a joke. And it was a long time ago.
Speaker 8: So I mean when we went out, were it's like the longest relationship that I had had in all of high school.
Speaker 7: If it was good for you, that's awesome and stuff, But like I never thought we were like I don't know official or anything. I thought we just hung out a few times.
Speaker 8: You're joking, right, it was a real thing, I guess.
Speaker 7: To you, maybe, but I know I thought we were like official, like I.
Speaker 8: Said, Okay, well it was real, but listen, we just easy to not bring it up at the wedding.
Speaker 7: Okay, I didn't plan on it because nothing even happened.
Speaker 8: Oh did you get hit in the head? Like, are you forgetting you.
Speaker 7: Were in love with me? I don't remember it like that. I'm pretty sure you were obsessed with me.
Speaker 8: Okay, listen, I had to break up with you.
Speaker 7: Why are we even talking about this. That was a long time ago. It was high school? Like who cares?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was a long time ago, but it was a real relationship. You were really into me, and I'm now worried you're going to ruin my wedding, you know, just say something stupid again. My fiance doesn't know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I planned on keeping it that way because I didn't think anything happened. Like, if you want to say you broke up with me, I kind of just led you to do that because I was just not showing any interest because I didn't even know if I was into you. So I just kind of made you break up with me.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, growth, Oh this is embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Oh my okay, oh what was that?
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 6: You know what's going on, Brad is you're on the radio right now with a really fun show called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. Yeah, Brad, seriously, this is a segment that we do.
Speaker 4: It's called awkward Tuesday phone Call.
Speaker 1: Oh, it should be embarrassing Tuesday folks all today, Yeah.
Speaker 8: Right now, yeaharrassing for him?
Speaker 2: Yes, to go with that because you are our listener.
Speaker 6: The whole thing, Brad is that Maria was really worried that because of the past, it might come up like at the wedding and make things awkward for her fiance and the family.
Speaker 2: So she didn't know how to bring it up. She asked for help.
Speaker 5: She just wants no drama.
Speaker 7: That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Like I haven't even thought about her in like ten years.
Speaker 3: WHOA, Okay, you don't have to be.
Speaker 4: Rid, don't you guys hang out?
Speaker 7: Yeah? But like she's like the little sister. I don't even like.
Speaker 4: You dated this woman. She can't be your sister.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I meant sister's hot. It's clueless.
Speaker 7: I mean I don't hate her or anything. She's just there. She's my buddy's fiance. Like, I don't think about her like that.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 6: That's what you want to hear, am I right, yeah, this should be refreshing, right Maria?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Cash, I.
Speaker 1: Know that was probably a lot to hear because yeah, you expected.
Speaker 2: I mean, is there like.
Speaker 1: A small chance that maybe it was you that had the feelings?
Speaker 2: Still?
Speaker 8: No way. I don't know why he's down playing.
Speaker 7: It, but like, Brod, you were in love with me? Like, I still have the poem that you wrote?
Speaker 4: Really you can't you still have it?
Speaker 7: You still have that dumb poem that I wrote?
Speaker 8: I mean it seemed really hard.
Speaker 2: So okay, I feel like Brad gave that to more than one girl.
Speaker 6: Copy paste action, So okay, this is like, this is hard.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I know it's probably a little bit of an ego blow to be hearing all this from Brad.
Speaker 2: But you're getting married.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, that's what you need to concentrate.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: And maybe a good exercise is to take that poem and throw it away or set it on fire or something.
Speaker 4: I don't take the first step.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it would be fine if you told your fiance that you guys dated a long time ago obviously.
Speaker 2: Happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why why.
Speaker 7: Would you do that? Like we literally just messed around in that cabin that one time.
Speaker 3: That okay, all right, maybe don't bring it up.
Speaker 6: It should be refreshing to know that your past relationship, or I guess Brad would say, your your non relationship is going to stay in the past.
Speaker 2: Past hookup.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, well thanks.
Speaker 8: Hermina didn't play out like I thought I would.
Speaker 5: But at least you know when he's looking at you now, he's not flirting with you.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, she said. The retention.
Speaker 2: Help me.
Speaker 4: That's actually cheered me up today. So Brad, thanks for your time one of the wedding guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can bring up this phone call, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: This is the one time we're asking people not to share this on
Speaker 8: Podcast Freaking Jeffrey in the Morning.