Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Stenebeck along with Carol Master. Let's take a look at some stocks. Meta Platforms taking a forty nine percent steak in scale AI with Alexander Wang, who's twenty eight years old, joining Meta as a top executive to build AI super intelligent.
Speaker 2: Mistake, Right, it's a steak's g ak.
Speaker 3: It's not an acquisition.
Speaker 1: Yet, Okay, If it walks like an acquisition.
Speaker 3: Dave Lie says, do not call it an acquisition for a host of reasons. Okay, yeah. Davely is US technology columnists for Bloomberg Opinion. He spent about fifteen years reporting on tech at the FT and BBC before joining Bloomberg. He joins us, here, do we just not call this an acquisition? Like? Why why are we not acquired? Why aren't companies not acquiring things right now?
Speaker 4: Because they're afraid. They're afraid that the courts are going to undo their acquisition. So at this time they're thinking probably too risky to complicated. If the stake was fifty percent as opposed the forty nine percent. That would of course be a takeover rather than an investment, and immediately that would trigger all kinds of reviews. They'd have to wait, they'd have to get clearances, not only in the US but also around the world different regulators.
Speaker 5: There's no time for that in the AI era.
Speaker 4: They've got they've got to get to work straight away. And so we're seeing this sort of new approach which I sort of likened in a column I wrote to sort sort of when a football team buys a great young prospect, you know, they pay a transfer fee to compensate wherever he's leaving. In this case, for Wang, it's about, you know, making investors whole at the scale AI the company he founded, and they bring on this young talent with the view that he's going to be, you know, the what.
Speaker 5: He's going to run a super.
Speaker 4: Intelligence team at Meta and this is obviously what Mark Zuckerbo thinks. He's needed to bring his team up to up to speed to compete against the other big teams.
Speaker 3: He's going to be sitting by. Mark Zuckerberg reportedly what is superintelligence?
Speaker 2: What is?
Speaker 3: And also scally Eyes not building its own superintelligence either of.
Speaker 5: That's what's danger. That's what's confusing to me. So Scale Eye is an interesting company.
Speaker 4: It's kind of right at the very early stages of AI development. It's about hiring humans to do data labeling and say that's a tree, that's a bus, and so forth.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like super intelligence to me.
Speaker 4: The crucial thing and a colleague, one of my colleagues, Ellen who Hewitt, wrote this fantastic piece about Alexander Wang today sort of talking about how this guy knows everybody in AI and he knows everything that's going on. And one of the things about SCALEI that makes it particularly useful for Meta is that it's a company that other companies would go to when they needed data. So they were working with open Ai, they were working with Google, They're working with several other companies, and so they have a bit of an insight into what those companies are working on and what sort of data they were needing to have. So now Mark Zuckerberg gets a bit of that intelligence as we want what you.
Speaker 1: Have, We want to we want what you know about what kind of the whole landscape is doing when it comes to AI.
Speaker 5: What have these companies come to you for yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: And also Alexander Wung is just known as a great networker, right, and so when so much of this AI race is about talent and bringing people on, we're hearing Zuckerberg is emailing people personally and saying, come and join us. I'll give you ten million bucks if you do it. This is this is just a signal of how fierce the AI rate.
Speaker 1: Different type of signing bonus.
Speaker 4: Right, like a smart star, but considerably bigger in terms of the numbers.
Speaker 3: What's the promise, though, I mean, what is this super intelligence that they're working toward. What is the world Dave that Meta Platforms wants to build and be ready for.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I want to imagine it, frankly, but.
Speaker 3: It's you and me both.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's various names for it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Superintelligence or artificial general intelligence is.
Speaker 3: Very a g I and super intelligence are the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's all basically the same goal.
Speaker 4: This idea that you can create this essentially one machine or you know, one technology that people can use for whatever sort of varied us as they want an AI to do.
Speaker 5: And there is this feeling that somebody will get there first.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm of the view personally that there'll be several players doing this and that's how it's going to the land's going to turn out. However, I think there is a sort of panic to make sure that we've got to be you know, first, or very very close.
Speaker 5: Behind, to be fair.
Speaker 1: I mean Microsoft has done some similar moves right to try and position themselves by acquiring you know, either different people that seem to have certainly some AI insight or know how. I think Alphabet has done the same thing right, So they're all kind of jocking for position.
Speaker 4: They're all truking a position, and they're also taking the same approach of we can't be seen to be acquiring companies so we can try and acquire people.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I think they're not as clever as they think in this regard. I think the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, they know what's happening here. This is competition, just in a different form. Because if you've got companies that are spending crazy money on wages, does that mean a smaller company just can't compete for talent? I guess not, right, So there's going to be and we already know the FEC is looking into some of these deals.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at what they're going to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's going on when it comes to innovation at these huge companies. I mean, I read your calm and I think to myself, this is turning into like a PEPSI buys Poppy for two billion dollars type of thing, because we want to let the startups duke it out for shelf space. When it comes to probiotic soda, we're not going to develop it ourselves. Is that happening? A decade ago, I thought Facebook killed the startup ecosystem.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, look, I guess it's a question of the shifting purpose of the ecosystem to those big companies, right. I mean it used to be if you started a startup, you had several exit opportunities U IPO, you get acquired. You know, both of those channels have almost been closed off. We're not seeing so many tech companies IPO anymore. That's really dried up, and it's becoming much harder for tech companies to acquire companies at all. But at the same time, the startup ecosystem still has this fantastic ability to work quickly and bring out new ideas. And I wrote in that Columny reference that, you know, I'm not sure if Alexander Wang joins Meta as like a junior engineer, I'm not sure he writeses through the ranks.
Speaker 5: That becomes this guy.
Speaker 4: I think that's only something you could do outside of the company, and that's just the nature of startups. And one of the sort of moments of real reflection in Silica Value was when open ai came along and launched chat GBT and everyone's going, well, hold on a second, why Google's been working on this for years? You know, Microsoft's been doing it. Apple, you know, you'd think would have been doing it, and it just wasn't at all really, So there is this sort of understanding that the way to incubate a lot of this talent, particularly of AI, which is so talent and engineering driven, it's easier to find that in the ecosystem rather than spend all your own R and D for you know, ideas that might come toughing.
Speaker 1: It's funny, I was thinking about Amazon when they used to just buy all these companies. I feel like kind of almost a catch and kill kind of thing, right to make sure that they didn't kind of lose out on a marketplace. This sounds like it's kind of catch and not miss out as well when it comes to AI a little bit right, they want to make sure that rather, you know, rather than take something out so that it's not competitive. It's to like, wait, what am I missing with people who really might have some insight into this?
Speaker 4: Just quickly, Yeah, I think it's it's they're not worried that these smaller companies are going to steal their lunch, worried that these smaller companies might go and help.
Speaker 5: Somebody else they steal that lunch.
Speaker 2: Check the Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.