Speaker 1: Smell us now, lady, welcome to Meet Eater Trivia Podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not the right view. Oh we're off to a great start. Oh no, there he is.
Speaker 3: Oh there, I am welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on Thursday, December fifth, and we are live from Meat Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host Randa Williams, and I'm joined today by Brody Henderson. On today's show, we're interviewing a researcher studying bluefin tuna and Marlon got those backwards in the script here. We've got a few regrettable tattoos to share with you. We've got another hot tip off. We're going to play a bit of phil trivia. We're gonna have a strange bear hunting fool from Arkansas in the studio. And at the very end, I have a very special announcement that you'll be hearing first here exclusively on Meat Eater Radio Live. Brody, how are you today, sir?
Speaker 4: Excellent? It's only two of us in here today. It's a little weird. We should have got a cut out of Steve and he could be here and then, but people could have Steve here and he wouldn't interrupt anyone.
Speaker 3: I think we could have a cutout of Steve for most office activities.
Speaker 5: He's just a busy guy.
Speaker 3: He could use a body double yep, or at least just a stand in cardboard cutout. Yeah, we just wrapped up our general season here and I was not fortunate enough to get an ELK, to my great disappointment, and it'll be another long ten months before we can give it another shot. But I understand you had a pretty special hunt recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my son drew a pretty sweet cow tag. It's a youth only cow tag. After it's like November seventeenth, that unit goes from general tag to youth only for cow no bull hunting. So it was a good draw. And I had lined up some private access on a ranch in that unit, which would have been like kind of a slam dunk gimme. So I thought my kid'd be all excited about that, right, And like in the days leading up to it, he just didn't seem too jazzed about it, and I was like, what's.
Speaker 6: Going on, man?
Speaker 4: He's like, Man, I don't want my first ELK to be like jumping out of a truck and shoot one in a hayfield, and I get it, like it's nice to have an easy hunt now and then, but he just didn't want that to be his first elk. So I was like, all right, dude, let's go climb a mountain, because that's what else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go get kicked in the teeth.
Speaker 4: And we drove over to that unit. We didn't like do the early morning thing. It's kind of a drive, and so we got over there like I don't know, ten o'clock and drove into this big chunk of public and I just started glassing for bedded herds, you know, and right away we find a heard a like thirty and it's like totally doable, but a lot of up and down, a lot of up the mountain, down the mountain to get to them. It was very windy and cold that day, so I was like, let's keep them in our hip pocket. They're not you know, once a herds bedded down, they're not going anywhere unless someone else spooks them. We kept driving into this public and went another mile mile and a half down the road and threw the binos up and there's this long bench below the top of the timbered ridge and there's one hundred and fifty elk that's laying down on that thing, a lot of eyeballs, and it was steep to get up to them, but like basically once you got out of the truck and in a little ways you were below their line of sight. So it was gonna be one of those things where you climb right up, get to the lip, and the herd's going to be right that you're going to be in range, you know. So it was a good it was a better deal than the first herd, but a lot of eyes, like you said, and man, the wind was just howling that day, which I think ended up working in our favor because they weren't going to hear us, they weren't gonna smell us. So we made the climb, which is like first third of it is pretty mild, and then it's just straight up a thousand feet and we get to where I'm expecting to like be able to see them, but it's one of those like it wasn't like you stick your head up and you're there. It's just one of those slow rolling things where you got to like belly crawl ten feet. Can't see him yet, belly crawl ten feet can't see him. And we did that for like at least fifty yards, and we could hear cows and calves like just chirping and talking to each other, like very close. So I'm like, we're going to end up right on top of these things. And we screw it up. And we got to this one rock and We're laying down and I can see a lone cow beded up in the timber, and I'm like, man, it's like two fifty the wind's blown, but the wind was in our face, so I wasn't worried about wind drift too much. And I'm like whispering to Hayden, you want to sha try and shoot that one? Do you want to try and get closer to this herd? And we ended up we opted to like just get him on the bipod, get steady, and that cow was just betted in the perfect at the perfect angle slide uphill broadside.
Speaker 6: Like a good like.
Speaker 4: I don't shoot a lot of betted animals, but this was a good opportunity to shoot her in the shoulder, and he got comfortable and took the shot, and she rolled over in her bed, slid down the hill ten yards in the snow and was dead like it was perfect. Never knew knew we were there, but that you know, you've killed plenty out. That's just like the start of it, right, My kids, like, holy crap, these things. He's thirteen, Yeah.
Speaker 6: He was.
Speaker 4: He was shocked, but it was a big old cow and he was shocked by the size of this thing. And it was setting in like how are we going to deal with this? Because by this point, it's like he shot her at one thirty, so like you know, it gets dark at like four thirty now, so we had a limited amount of time, and so I'm trying to figure out what we're gonna do, like like how we're going to get because we're in grizzly country, like heavy duty grizzly country, and that the bears that are out this time year are the ones that are looking for elk carcasses. So I'm a little freaked out, not bad, but it's like definitely in the back of my mind. And I'm looking down that slope and I'm like, man, I bet you we could gut her and just slide her down the mountain. Oh yeah, which is like if it works, great, but you could also just mangle that cow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just you can put yourself in a bad spot where all of a sudden you're trying to cord her up a cow on something you can't really yeah, stand up straight.
Speaker 4: But in the end I decided to give it a go. And there wasn't a lot of snow on that was a west facing slope, so the snow was kind of patchy and melted off. There's only like an inch or two a coverage the whole way down that steep slope. So it actually worked very well. Like she'd slide like fifty yards and then slow down and stop, and we just did that the whole way down.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then we got her to that bench and above the truck another half mile like gradual slope down to the truck. So we went back to the truck, got the sled, quartered her, and got her out with the sled the rest of the way. So it was great, Like he learned a lot about elk hunting, you know.
Speaker 6: It was very great hunt.
Speaker 4: And the cool thing about like people that have been hunting a long time and killed a bunch of animals, like you're never getting that first, right, Like I got my first moose this fall, which was like an incredible feeling and experience, but like, you get to relive a lot of first when you take a kid hunting, and that was that was the coolest thing about it.
Speaker 6: He's a little tuckered there at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's that's about how I feel, Yeah, packing out elk.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's funny.
Speaker 3: My when my wife started hunting a couple of years ago, she she wanted to get a deer, and we probably went out five or six times before she pulled the trigger yep, and it was like that was perfect.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she hunted, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And and and then this year we went out and she shot one probably ten minutes after we got to the spot, and she was like so tickled with that. But it was also she'd killed enough deer that it like that wouldn't have been a good first year, right, right, So yeah, it's it's funny how your perspective changes in those things.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not dogging like private land hunting or whatever, but you know, it would have just been a very different And he'll remember that one for the rest of.
Speaker 5: His life totally.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, next time he goes out for an ELK, he has some appreciations exactly shooting one in.
Speaker 5: A bad, bad spot.
Speaker 3: Yep, well, thanks for sharing that. Joining us on the line first is Chloe Michaels from Monterey, California at Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station. Chloe is a PhD student in biology studying bluefin tune in Marlon. Chloe, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me. It is great to be here. I'm pretty jealous of that elk story in California. It's really difficult to.
Speaker 2: Draw those bags.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, I see you got a nail out there behind you though.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was from New Mexico a year ago. I claimed that one. Yeah, that was my fiance shot that one. Unfortunately, I'll be next for our next trip.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 7: Very Yeah, it was a fun trip.
Speaker 3: So, Chloe, your work involves tracking some of the world's largest and most highly migratory species of fish. Can you tell us a little bit about how you study these animals?
Speaker 7: Yeah? So, I feel really lucky, because, I mean, the whole reason that I decided to do this is because I really loved fishing, and I love animals. I love being out in the water, and I actually so I grew up in North Carolina and spent every summer and winter basically on the coast in North Carolina, and that's where I just absolutely fell in love with fishing. So the great thing about doing my PhD studying blue and tuna and blue marlin is that my field work and going out catching these fish, tagging them, releasing them. And then now I'm in my fifth year and it's a lot less of the fun field work and tagging and more of as you know, a lot more data analysis and writing in the last part of it. So unfortunately not doing as much of that anymore. But the field work is a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: So you're catching them.
Speaker 3: When you're catching them to tag them, I assume you're tagging them, you're you're catching them on a rod.
Speaker 7: And reel, yeah, exactly. So basically the methods are different for blue marlin blue in tuna, but for blue and tuna, well for both, we go out usually on either recreational charter boats or commercial boats, so we're working directly with the fishermen on this. We're not like if you just send a bunch of sligents out there to try to catch fish by ourselves, we would have a bit of a hard time, sure, So we work directly with the local fleets and in North Carolina specifically, there's a really rich commercial fishery for blueth and tuna that actually just open up December one, So usually this time of year will go out and it is cold winter time conditions. It's all round and real fishing. And you know with blueth and tuna, the fight can sometimes be hours long. You're trying really hard just to get a bite, so you're using light leader. It's really difficult work. But yeah, we end up with the bluef and we actually bring the fish on board. And all of our work is electronic tagging, So we're deploying tags that act almost like a GPS tracker that you'd have on your dogs or in your car and allowing you to actually position the fish over time.
Speaker 3: So beyond just like where they are, what other sorts of data points are you getting from these tags?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so we use a couple of different types of tags for blue and tuna. We actually have the ability to put tags surgically inside the fish also, so I have a couple of different ones that I brought to show you perfect So this for the YouTube audience, you can see This is called an internal archival tag. And so we bring the blue and tuna up on the boat. We actually stick a saltwater hose in its mouth irrigate the gills. These fish are sometimes up to one thousand pounds, so it is no small feet bringing them on board. We irrigate their gills with the hose, and then we actually will take a couple of measurements, get some thin clips, and we surgically implant this tag in their belly, like in their abdomen. And so this tag has on the end a light stock. So the way that we get the position is from like light level geolocation. So it's actually like all of this complex math figuring out what time of day it is based off of the day length. And then we also get depth from a pressure sensor on this and then from this internal tag we get both internal body temperature and external body temp. And what's really cool about the internal temperature is that you can actually see what the fishes do. So you know, when we release this fish, the chances of getting this back are really slim. The fish has to be recaptured, so we deploy these tags. You know, it's like sending a message in the bottle, You hope you get it back. But when we do get them back, we can tell where the fish is going, where it's diving, the temperature that it's diving to, and then also the internal temperature. So with bluefin, you can see them heating up inside when they're having a meal, or heating up when they're spawning. Lots of really interesting stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So when you get them back, is that from like recreational or commercial anglers giving you a call and saying I pulled one of your tags off of fish exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah. So a lot of our fish, especially the ones that we tag off the coast of North Carolina, end up getting recaptured in the Mediterranean Sea.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So they're traveling across the entire ocean and then they mostly get caught in like the trap fisheries there. Yeah, but we do occasionally get some up and down the East coast, which is fun because it's close to home too.
Speaker 3: Sure, how is that like the furthest that these fish are traveling, I mean, do you have a I know, at least in the case of like mule deer, especially antelope, there are these outlier right where you know they'll find a mule deer dough that's traveled several hundred miles. Do you have like a particularly memorable example of a fish just going way out there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, the cool thing about bluefin tuna is that they are highly migratory, so just by nature, they're not residential. They're not staying in one spot. So the fish that we see like this time of year in the North Carolina fishery are you know, have already traveled up and down the East coast, maybe come from Nova Scotia, and then this is basically just like a little stop on their way somewhere. So a lot of our fish they're either spawning in one of two areas. One is the Gulf of Mexico and then one's the Mediterranean Sea. So that's why we end up getting a lot of the fish from North Carolina in the meat. And what's pretty amazing about these internal archival tags. Granted they're a lot harder to get back because they're inside of the fish, but oh, I should mention the other type of tag that we have is a satellite tag that actually pops off of the animal, so it has a float attached to it. It's the same thing with a float and then it pops off of the animal and transmits all the data to satellites so that you don't have to get back. But we have a lot of really cool stories. These archival tags can stay in fish for multiple years, which allows us to see them, like really see them grow up and see how their behavior changes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how old are those fish getting?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: Man, So the ones that we're tagging in North Carolina, they're probably arranging anywhere from like five to ten and we suspect that they're like max age limit is around forty, but we really don't know unless it's recaptured. So you can tell how you can age the fish. Once they're recaptured. You can get an estimate based off of length. But they do like once they were a certain size, there's only they can only get so big.
Speaker 4: Sure, Hey, Chloe, these bluepen they're getting hit by commercial fishermen like up and down the East Coast and over Yeah, in Europe because there's a huge market for them in Japan obviously, Right, How like how is is their population doing? Because I know it seemed like a few years ago, maybe maybe a little more than that, it was kind of like you're hearing a lot that they weren't doing that great.
Speaker 6: Are they doing better now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: They are. So I feel like when I first kind of came into this space and I didn't know much about blue and tuna, all I knew was like, oh, they're this endangered fish, and but then I saw like, oh, there are a bunch of people in my hometown catching them. So they were really heavily overfished, like between the seven and into the nineties. But that was because we really, like we didn't know much about them. We had no idea how many they were, there were, where they were going, their highly migratory nature. Just the data that we had on them was so little, so limited. So over time we learn more and more about them, and because of better management practices being put into place and really international cooperation, their populations have rebounded a ton. And in two thousand and nine they were almost listed on like the site's treaty is preventing international trade of them, but thankfully they weren't because of promise to do better with management. So what's great is because of all this international cooperation and management, they've rebounded a lot. And I think people are seeing that in their backyards, like people going out to fish are just seeing a lot more bluefin than there used to be, which is really encouraging. But it is difficult because you know, it takes a long time to see the changes of those management measures to actually take effect. So these fish don't start reproducing until they're eight to ten years old, so there's quite a bit of a delay. You know, you put something into place and you don't see an effect for maybe ten years, which is frustrating for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's very cool that you I assume your research will then someday inform continued improvement in the management practices.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the goal. That's why I'm doing the PhD. So yeah, it's a lot of fun. I mean, what's great about what's cool about my work is I've been able to incorporate our electronic tagging data with population geno mix and I know you guys have had a lot of people on the show that have talked about population genetics of wolves and mule deer and everything and ducks. So it's great that you know, the general public is getting a great understanding of how that is important for management as well.
Speaker 5: Very cool.
Speaker 3: Well, good luck out there on the water, and appreciate you joining us. I think you've sort of hacked the system here to pursue a PhD that just gets you out on fishing boats for your field work. So, uh, kudos to you on that and good luck with your all of your data analysis. I'm sure you've got a pilot work out of you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you so much, and we'll keep you posting on what we have coming up on the water.
Speaker 3: We'd love to talk to you again.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Man, that's pretty wild stuff. Yep, fish in the ocean blow my mind. I'm a simple Midwestern man, and God, the idea of something just cruising back and forth from North Carolina, it's a thousands. Our next segment is tattoos.
Speaker 5: I regret.
Speaker 4: Hello, talk this my old friend.
Speaker 6: I've looked at my tattoo. Look again.
Speaker 2: It really seemed like such a good idea when I was drunk last summer in the pizza.
Speaker 6: The tattoo says.
Speaker 2: The person that will always find more bes. What the does that mean?
Speaker 1: It's a tattoo, I regret.
Speaker 6: Just let that breathe for a little bit, keep the hits coming.
Speaker 5: That's beautiful, beautiful, great.
Speaker 3: Today's first regrettable tattoo comes from Brady of Lake Villa, Illinois. And if you have a hunting or fishing related tattoo that you regret, please email us at radio at the meat Eater dot com. We'd love to take a look at that ink. Here's what Brady writes, This is a tattoo I regret not getting sooner. So a little bit of a twist on our program here. It always gets a lot of laughs when I'm out fishing. The lines are actually to scale and comes in handy when I don't have a ruler. I work in construction and always throw new coworkers off when I lift my pant leg up to measure bolts and such. I can't think of a more versatile tattoo. And for those of you listening as opposed to our YouTube audience, we have an image here and it is a ruler labeled fisherman's ruler that extends from just below the kneecap down the side of the calf to about Brady's sock line. And he's holding up a bass next to the ruler. And I believe what makes it a fisherman's ruler is it jumps from about you know, six or seven inches to the mid twenties, so you're always sure to impress any onlookers and they can't accuse you of lying as to how you're catch taped out. Bro to your thoughts here.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm happy that he doesn't regret having this tattoo.
Speaker 9: But.
Speaker 4: I'm just not on I'm not on board with it.
Speaker 3: Oh really, I'm not. I see, I had the opposite reaction. I thought that, you know, we should all have tattoos with various units of measurement. Yeah, you know our trivia episode earlier this week. I wish it had some conversion tables from teaspoons to tablespoons on my arm. I mean, this seems to me to be the height of like this is future man.
Speaker 4: If you say so, I don't have a lot to say about it, Like, you know, it's I would regret getting that.
Speaker 2: I mean especially I think that the joke of the numbers just jumping. Oh yeah, it was probably funny in the moment, but I think that's the thing that makes this age poorly sure, Like joky tattoos usually, I don't know, they don't hold up in my estimation.
Speaker 5: Boy tough crowd today.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I think Brody and I are kind of on the outside because we've got a few that like Josh Spielmaker yeah, says he's on board. We've got a Ryan saying it's badass. I don't know about that. This four kids says that's a sick tattoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, I I don't know. I just love the functionality of it. Oftentimes I find, I mean several times a week I run around my house looking for one of the eight tape measures that I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure, but like you've got to do a lot of like weird math to get like an actual measurement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, the thing that I'm also noticing is that the inches seem to get shorter. He said it was.
Speaker 4: He said it was, Uh, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess he does use it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like, look, man, it's fun, but how many inches is it? Like you ain't measuring a thirty inch fish that way.
Speaker 3: It looks like it looks like it's a solid eleven inches, right, twelve?
Speaker 4: And so how useful is it because like minimum size length for a lot of fish is going to be twelve fifteen.
Speaker 3: Well he's in Illinois, Yeah, I guess twelve fifteen. I was thinking I mean, he's not gonna be out there like measuring lyn Cod checking sling.
Speaker 4: She'll have just gone all the way up to his groin with it.
Speaker 5: That is a twist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could run into some complications there where.
Speaker 2: He'd also never forget his his you know, yeah, total tailor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this could be another Yeah tailor. I'm thinking of all the vocations in which this would be a little handy body mod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor and more tailors, Yeah, some other things.
Speaker 3: Well, Brady, I'm on board with it.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: My colleagues here might not agree with me, but uh, I'm on board with it, and thanks for sharing. Looks like he got a nice little spot there. We've got another regrettable tattoo, and this one is a bit unconventional, and that it was submitted on behalf of Will by his friend Patrick. Ye, that's a dirty We're not sure if Will is consenting to this public shaming, but Patrick seemed to think that this was worthy of consideration. He says Will got this tattoo over twenty years ago from a guy who just got out of jail and was wanting to get into tattooing as a profession. Somehow, he talked Will into letting him be his first unpaid customer. This all took place in Will's garage. It is supposed to be the American flag. I say supposed to be because no one actually knows how many stars there are. Over the years, we try to count the stars and actually come up with a different answer, somewhere between forty eight and fifty three, but never fifty. A new revelation to this story, told during a dove hunt in Argentina, was that Will was able to hide this from his wife for over two years. And for those of you just listening to this, we have an image of a man holding a redfish and there's a fellow shirtless crouched down in front of him. And on that man's back, extending between his shoulder blades is a sort of squarish American flag. The bars the stripes don't seem to be sort of connected.
Speaker 5: They're sort of floating.
Speaker 2: There are thirteen, though I did count.
Speaker 3: There are thirteen. Okay, so we're good there, and yeah, the stars are It looks like it looks like he got hit with bird shot. The spacing, the spacing is not really uniform with the stars.
Speaker 6: Some overlap.
Speaker 3: It looks it looks like the guy just sort of penciled out of square and then just did his best to fill him in.
Speaker 4: I think you guys for being harsh on this one. Come on, it's the American flag, Like you're.
Speaker 2: Steve like, oh, you're not patriotic because you don't like this shitty tattoo.
Speaker 4: You know, he was helping out a guy who just got out of jail, need a little money.
Speaker 2: Okay, well when you put it that way, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And these guys that say they like somewhere between forty eight and fifty three, like maybe they're just not good at counting, and it is fifty.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it seems like he could get to the bottom of this with the sharpie and you just mark off the stars as you count them.
Speaker 2: Or that'd be one one way, one method.
Speaker 3: I just don't think this is an insurmountable barrier here. I think that they should be able to figure out how many stars are on there.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 3: I think the most curious aspect of this whole tale is that he hid it from his wife for two years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that leads to a lotis several questions.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got a lot of freckles on his back.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 3: So maybe she's just sort of used to variations in color and shading back there.
Speaker 2: But maybe Yeah, whenever he had his shirt off, when he would just always be facing her and kind of rotate around her, did.
Speaker 4: He always hold on, hold on, don't come in, don't come in.
Speaker 3: Did he always have like a really dramatic exit out of the room he walked backwards.
Speaker 2: And he turned it out to do a thing like a part of his personality. Maybe he did some finger guns.
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: It's a long distance marriage.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, sure could have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe he was serving overseas. Another reason we shouldn't disparage this tattoo.
Speaker 5: That's fair. You can't fair.
Speaker 4: You can't be knocking the American flag. I don't care what it looks like.
Speaker 5: That is fair.
Speaker 3: Well, uh Patrick, I should say Will Patrick, I'm not sure who to think here. Patrick, thanks for setting this in. Will, thanks for the tattoo. Hopefully you are aware that your friend was putting you on blast. And uh yeah, if you do, take my advice and mark those out with a sharpie. Just crossed him out as you count them right back in and let us know what you come up with.
Speaker 4: And Will if you are listening, we want to hear from your wife real bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually yeah, will if you're out there, let us know how you managed to pull off that two year long deception. Phil. Why don't we take a break here for some listener feedback?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, Uh four kids is asking. Oh oh, and.
Speaker 3: We have a very special guest.
Speaker 2: What's going on here?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, look at this fella. Come on in, hop in there, chat ladies and gentlemen, mister Clay Newcomb has entered the studio.
Speaker 4: Do you up and show everyone your your pants?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 5: Where where are the cameras?
Speaker 6: It's kind of hard to see how you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, go move over there.
Speaker 3: We'll have you hop We'll have you hop up on the table here before we let you go. Clay, Welcome, Welcome, great to see everybody. You're just in time for a couple hiker in questions and comments from the chat here.
Speaker 4: You're doing first light product testing there?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, h I was literally just like not a joke came out of the first lot design meeting.
Speaker 2: On that note, Huntman eight three four saw you in the thumbnail and says, what are you doing in these parts? Clay pops knuckles and some sort of aggressive stance. I don't know why he's popping his knuckles like he wants to fight you.
Speaker 9: What are you doing in these parts? Well, you know, I'm in Montana for for a first light design meeting, like for real and uh and for the Mediator holiday party.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're looking forward to that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's big, big.
Speaker 3: So the theme for this year's holiday party is fur and we were encouraged to wear our best furs. So yeah, I assume that these chaps are perhaps related to that and not the product workshop. Well, these are my buddy.
Speaker 9: Uh, I had these, and now I learned this the correct way to say it is shaps, not chaps.
Speaker 2: Is it French shap?
Speaker 9: No, it's just it's just the way the cowboys and mule skinners pronounce it, and you'll be corrected, all right. So the shaps, and they're they're fur out shaps, which are actually pretty functional. I mean, people like a lot of times they use wool like sheep wool, but to have fur out bear skin shaps is like top level, top shelf, very nice. Yeah, I had my buddy make these from a This is actually an Oklahoma bear that I killed, and I wear them occasionally. They've actually got cockle bears.
Speaker 3: Is this the one you got that on the ground?
Speaker 9: No, this was a different one. Oh gotcha, this is a different one.
Speaker 3: What else we got here?
Speaker 5: Phil?
Speaker 2: Oh, Like, I gotta go back to my other tab here. Okay, I think we all, I think everyone here is going to know the answer to this question. But just to sec set the record straight for the listeners, Jared is asking, are we real Christmas tree or fake Christmas tree? People? Tis the season.
Speaker 9: I just read an article about how actually Christmas tree farms are really good for the world, Like they were talking about it, and I mean it was kind of like an environmental thing. Basically, it takes ten years to grow a Christmas tree, and these Christmas tree tree farms are actually providing like habitat essentially for you know, at some level, it's monoculture.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of things in a Christmas tree farm. We go on chop ours down in the forest.
Speaker 3: Yeps down as well. We got a got a nice one just the other day, actually twelve footer.
Speaker 6: Well nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's some debate about whether I saw.
Speaker 9: A meme the other day that said she was a ten in the woods, but uh, two in the house and it was talking about the Christmas tree.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Actually my daughter showed that to me.
Speaker 5: It was funny.
Speaker 9: It was like a real ugly Christmas tree. I guess that could be slightly inappropriate.
Speaker 3: I hope that's not.
Speaker 6: Qualified what we were talking about.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, people look at you funny if you don't cut down your own Christmas tree in this office.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Although, man, the convenience of a fake tree, you know, I just think you don't have to water it. I have to crawl around on the ground with a picture of water and don't have to sweep up needs.
Speaker 5: I also saw.
Speaker 9: A comedian the other day that said, all dads want to talk about it Christmas time is how much water that tree's sucking up.
Speaker 3: It's like every morning you walk like.
Speaker 9: Oh, darn, I gotta put another mason jar water in that Christmas tree.
Speaker 2: And four kids is asking anyone from the crew doing Muzzleloaders season.
Speaker 4: Steve is, Steve is, I'm sure there's a couple other people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there going yeah.
Speaker 2: Keith is asking, and I can answer this, but how do you sign up to be one of the five hundred meat Eater listeners that Spencer surveys for the family feud type game. Lately, he's been going to the meat Eater subreddit. So if you go to reddit dot com, slash our slash meat Eater Tv, there's a nice community of folks there having discussions about our operation here, and Spencer will often go up there and hit them up and ask them to fill out a Google doc with all of the family questions. So if you want to be a part of that, head on over to the subrededit and subscribe. Do you guys have any man? I feel like we're hitting all these these Christmas questions early, but these are some of the only ones we've gotten in the show. Well, this is a big one. Wild game. Recipes for Christmas, you have go tos.
Speaker 3: I don't really have a go to for for Christmas itself, but typically when we are you know, if we're hosting family or for visiting folks, it's a good time to bring a cooler full of meat and pass it around and share it with folks. And then you know, typically if we're making a big dinner for the family a few nights in a row, one of those nights will do some elk steaks and the grill and yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of it depends on what you piled up that year.
Speaker 6: Like we'll do some combo of.
Speaker 4: Fish and.
Speaker 9: Fish for Christmas, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like some salmon, king salmon or halibed or and then we'll also have some kind of red meat, like you know, a moose, backstrap, elk, tenderloin.
Speaker 9: Whatever this may not. I don't know how this opinion will hit the room, considering this is where we worked for meat Eater. But I had I had. Somebody asked me the other day at a basketball game. They were like, Claire, you having bear for Thanksgiving? And I was like, no, I eat bear like literally three four days a week. A lot of times. On Thanksgiving, we yardbirds and pig yeah, you know, ham turkey, Like this is the one time of year we actually don't cook a wild game, I think, which is maybe.
Speaker 6: And I have done.
Speaker 4: You know, hind quarter hands off of like a wait till dough.
Speaker 3: Great, they're great, but I do think it would perhaps be off brand. Uh maybe embarrassing to the company if folks out there knew how many butter balls.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, yeah, well but people think it. I think it proved the point to the guy because he was like, oh, man, I bet Clay and his family once a year they eat a bear ham for Thanksgiving and it's like, no, man.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of people around here say they're you know, I was asking some people if they're doing any wild turkey, and they said, I eat all my wild turkey by the middle of the summer.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that stuff going like April and then keep it frozen all the year.
Speaker 4: And not like a whole roasted wild turkey.
Speaker 2: Like it's They're just not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is nothing.
Speaker 4: No, you're gonna do to make it even close to it.
Speaker 5: Butter Ball figured it out. Yeah, butter Ball figured it out.
Speaker 2: So this is going to be something raydal you were going to talk about at the end of the show. But it it surprised me so much I have to bring it up for the Q and A. So Keith asks what film did he do next, referring to the Meat Eater Movie Club, and you're your selection. Graham then suggests Guy on a Buffalo. Keith says, yes, Guy on a Buffalo. Forgot all about that, and then Keith pipes in I think the movie was called Buffalo writer. How Perselt writer nineteen seventy eight. Randall do you want to take it away, Keith.
Speaker 3: I hate to correct you, but I believe it's an hour and twenty eight minutes. I was going to announce this before we wrapped up here, but we are doing Meat Eater Movie Club next week and we will be discussing the nineteen seventy eight film Buffalo Rider, and you can stream that for free on twob Roku and or Pluto TV. So if you'd like to weigh in with your thoughts next week, you know, carve out an hour and a half your time and we'll see you then to discuss this film. It's it is the origin of the guy on a Buffalo meme if you're familiar with that, and it looks to be a rich text, so we'll look forward to digging in.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll call it there, but if you guys have any Clay questions now that Clay is here, well you can hit those up at the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. With that, I think our next segment is a hot tip Off Hot tip Off time. The hot tip off is where.
Speaker 6: We're just making them up.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: The hot tip off is where members of the crew go head to head with competing pieces of advice. After we hear each tip, we'll declare which one is hotter. This week our hot tips come from Jannis, Steve and Cal Take it away Phil Yunny's food jail is.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to another hot tip off.
Speaker 6: Just got this.
Speaker 1: Tip from a buddy, Chris Gill who's behind the camera. But if you ever in this situation where you have a trailer, you don't have the proper size lugnut ranch for so you can't break it free because they're only they're so tight. So you're just using your regular socket set the EB in your truck, you can't get enough leverage. Just use another socket with the extension and stick it on the handle there. It's probably gonna be just enough to give you that extra leverage.
Speaker 9: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's reserved.
Speaker 9: Invigorating.
Speaker 5: What do another hot tip off?
Speaker 8: Everyone knows that pulling the leg on a Kyo it's paint in the butt.
Speaker 4: Mm hm.
Speaker 6: Take a sharpman rod.
Speaker 5: Once you get it through.
Speaker 2: Here will kind of work down, we see, once you get it through, take a sharpman.
Speaker 9: Steel, put it in there.
Speaker 5: Slick as you please. Right, sharp and steel, mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: Right in Callian, that's a good one.
Speaker 8: It's a public play station all sorts of awesome arenas and docks and stuff. Have these really awesome resource for the traveling angler. You can get all done here, but it is a public station. There's individual voters, there's first timers, there's long timers, there's guys, outfitters, I eat, folks who really know what they're doing, and folks who don't. So the best that you can do, regardless of your skill level, is keep your stuff.
Speaker 7: On your own zone, eat and tidy.
Speaker 2: Bring a blow for fish spines, and when.
Speaker 8: It's time to.
Speaker 4: Clean stuff up, you clean.
Speaker 8: Up your area, stick and spam, get rid of all the scales and the little chumps. Young stone doesn't stay and attract a bunch of bugs. And most importantly, you're spraying your area down, not your neighbor.
Speaker 6: Okay, here off here, I have.
Speaker 4: I have three thoughts you should there's three tip offs.
Speaker 3: One Jannis has.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's a hot tip off.
Speaker 3: Yannis is simply was unaware that a tool exists called a breaker bar, which is used to add leverage to.
Speaker 5: He didn't Wrenches had a breaker bar with him.
Speaker 9: That was kind of the point of the tip.
Speaker 3: But I feel like, was that not a breaker bar that was just another socket.
Speaker 5: Oh, it was just another socket.
Speaker 6: But I think it's like.
Speaker 4: If you don't know that trick, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, hot tip leverage two. Cal's tip seemed very specific and maybe sort of just a direct attack on his neighbor at that fish cleaning station at that very minute. It seemed oddly defensive of his space. It seemed like maybe he had been sprayed a few minutes before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't you like it's all it's great info like what he's telling people to do. I don't think it's a tip that like results in you. Like there's no like ultimate payoff, Like it's just like, yeah, being being nice, use don't.
Speaker 5: Take up too much space, keep your space clean.
Speaker 9: It was kind of like just given an excuse, you're having an excuse to like give someone a tip on their character.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: It was more of a dig, which I do a lot, and sure Steve as sort of the only real hot tip. I think Steve wins by default.
Speaker 4: Well, also that little trick he's showing you, I think you could use skin and deer skin and other like you could maybe and you don't need that particular tool to do it.
Speaker 3: But something like, yeah, a breaker part or if you don't have that socket wrench.
Speaker 4: But I feel like that's useful. You do a lot of skin in them.
Speaker 9: You know, now that I hear the actual critique and I'm a little more familiar with how we were doing the hot tip off. When we realized that the other two really weren't hot tips, and so Steve was really the only hot tips. We kind of got to vote for Steve's But before that, I was gonna say, I don't think he really needed the bar, Like he could have just used his hands. I think he was kind of he's kind of over dramatized.
Speaker 4: I was there and that bar was like those coyotes had sat.
Speaker 6: Around for a little bit.
Speaker 5: If you're skin yeah, warm.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 6: I was there and it made a huge difference.
Speaker 9: Well, okay, yeah, I trust you.
Speaker 5: You ought to try it.
Speaker 3: And if any listeners out there have hot tips for reducing ambient noise when recording short video segments in the field, those would be much appreciated by Steven cow I would also appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: Our next segment today is Phil's Trivia.
Speaker 2: Oh God, it's happening.
Speaker 6: Oh I love this part.
Speaker 2: Uh, welcome to phil Trivia, the only game show where I always win. I am your host, Phil the Engineer, and today we're joined by Randall, Brody and Cal And for some reason, the way the I said, Cal, Clay.
Speaker 9: You know close.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, Clay.
Speaker 9: It's okay, great, feel bad.
Speaker 2: We've been working together for so long.
Speaker 5: God, okay, get back in.
Speaker 2: This is a three round quiz show with questions that have little to nothing to do with meat eaters, four verticals, and instead will be centered around pop culture and entertainment. And there's definitely not a prize, so suck at Conservation Orgs. Also, the auto white balance on this camera is making me look like a smurf. That is not intentional deliberate, but that's that's how it's working.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 2: And for the stat of the week this week. Today, for Phil's Trivia, we will be mixing it up a bit. Instead of using the usual ten point game that Spencer plays or the three point game that I played last time, there will be a possible twelve points my goodness to earn today. How you ask well, there will be three themed rounds with four quick hit or mini questions in each round. Still confused, you shouldn't be and there's no housekeeping this week because I keep my shit clean by not asking nonsensical questions that involve Guy Fieri. And with that, oh no, I got a prep stuff. We're on to the game of trivia. Play the drop me.
Speaker 3: Power resides where men believe it resides.
Speaker 4: It's a trick, a shadow on the walls.
Speaker 5: That happened.
Speaker 2: You're in the Great Game now, in the Great Games, terrifying.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fantastic, Phil, Donid White, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know we do. I didn't prep this at all. It's kind of a scramble to start this recording today. But yeah, you can grab those Clay that would be doing live, so you in it live and could you pass one to me as well?
Speaker 5: A couple of markers there.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the audience doesn't mind watching all of this. This is this is how the show is made. This is the live people.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, seamless.
Speaker 4: I don't like this color, Clay, get I want a difference.
Speaker 2: I'll take that one, Clay, Phil's trivia.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure I like purple either, but I'll go with it.
Speaker 5: I'm good with green.
Speaker 9: There be some Star Wars trivia in this, Clay.
Speaker 2: No spoilers all right. Our first category is classic rock. If you think and I put it back in your pants, Spencer, it's not what you think. I'm going to be asking questions about classic rock music. Specifically, I would like you to tell me the chronological order of release of these classic rock albums. I will listen them for you right now. Your options are The Beatles White Album, Rumors from Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Starred Us and the Spiders from Mars, and Bridge over Troubled Water from Simon and Garfunkle. Please list the albums and the order of their release. There's a possible, a possibility possibility to get zero, one, two, or four points where A yes, the White Album from the Beatles Rumors by Fleetwood Mac, Ziggy Starred Us from David Bowie, and Bridge over Troubled Water from Simon and Garfunkle. Mm, great question, Phil, Thank you? And uh so, the way you can get one, two or four points. If you get them all right, you get four. But if you get one in a correct slot but some other ones are mixed up, great, you still get that one point.
Speaker 5: Great? So are you ready to go here? I think we've got our answers.
Speaker 6: No, not even close.
Speaker 10: Oh my bad. Clay's writing, hmm, Brodie's writing.
Speaker 2: I apologize for not having a TikTok clock. The last time I tried to do sound effects of this game, I ended up creating a loop for the YouTube stream and it ruined everything. And I'm just not going to take that chance. So just imagine it. Yeah, you guys, fans have in any of these records, you guys, I mean rumors is just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hit Max great, there's some good stuff on that Bowie album. I'm a stones Man, not a Beatles Beatles.
Speaker 2: That's why we can never get one one or the other. Phil, that's true.
Speaker 9: I'm not sure, Arkansas.
Speaker 2: How are we doing, folks?
Speaker 5: I think we're good.
Speaker 2: We're good, all right, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Randall saying the White album, I'm in a Garfuncle, David Bowie and Fleetwood Mac.
Speaker 4: These aren't and I'll you want I numbered him?
Speaker 6: You want me to?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I went Beatles, Simon and Garfunkele, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie.
Speaker 2: And Clay says Beatles Bowie, Simon and Garfunkle and Fleetwood Mac the correct order is the White Album nineteen sixty eight, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfuncle nineteen seventy David Bowie he started us with in nineteen seventy two, and that leaves rumors in nineteen seventy seven. I believe Randall four points you got one.
Speaker 6: I believe that the Beatles two.
Speaker 2: You got two.
Speaker 6: It was Beatles and Simon and Garfunkle, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, okay, sorry, And then Clay, I believe you got two with Beatles and Fleetwood Mac at number four. Correct, right on. Good job, guys, you have to a great start here. This next round is called posting on Maine. Oh and hey, are you talking about like posting Grip and Grims on Instagram for that digital affirmation? No, I'm going to be showing you small portions of iconic movie posters zoomed in, and I would like for you to tell me the movie that that image is from the movie poster.
Speaker 5: It's great, Phil, this is clever.
Speaker 2: Your first image. What movie poster contains? This ten cent little stamp for the audio listener. It's a round golden circle. It says ten cents on it. Let me know when you guys have an answer.
Speaker 9: This is a movie.
Speaker 2: This is a movie, a movie poster. Just tell me the movie or.
Speaker 5: We just gonna keep going.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, yeah, when you guys have to have this one down, you guys have an answer. Everyone has an answer, all right? Correct. We've got Randall saying pulp fiction, Brody saying pulp fiction, Clay saying Catcher in the Rye. The correct answer is pulp fiction. Way to go, Randal and Brody.
Speaker 9: I wouldn't allowed to watch that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. The next image we have an animated drawing of a horse for the audio listeners. An animated is it an animated movie of a horse? There will be no hints, no hints, oh man, iconic movie posters. Do we have any ideas from the table? Are you guys thinking.
Speaker 5: Who framed Roger Rabbit?
Speaker 2: That is a movie?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Robert Zemeckis, I.
Speaker 5: Might, I might my white flag here?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Even nowhere to go?
Speaker 9: Brodie Clay, I've got nothing. I mean, I could come up with an answer.
Speaker 6: But yeah, nothing The Chipmunks.
Speaker 5: That's not even a movie.
Speaker 2: That's too bad. The correct answer is National Lampoons.
Speaker 3: Animal Yes, sure.
Speaker 2: Animal House. I wasn't necessarily thinking that the horse would give it away. But maybe the animation style.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of the those like sex comedies from the eighties use this sort of style. I think this was probably the most famous one. Next image, a foot in some sort of net or stocking. An outstretched foot and some netting or pante hoose, how's everyone feeling? Got an answer?
Speaker 9: You got to answer?
Speaker 5: Brody?
Speaker 4: Yep, don't worry, Clay, it's all it's on the up and up.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is the graduate. Oh, Phil, hey, oh, and that's for answers.
Speaker 9: How do you guys know all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Random? Brody, great job.
Speaker 4: I think that's a pretty famous image.
Speaker 2: Again, iconic. Last one for this round.
Speaker 9: We didn't get film in Arkansas till the nineties.
Speaker 2: Don't play cold with me, Clay. You you were you were spilling some secrets on the live tour about some some video games you dabbled in in Arkansas.
Speaker 5: For real.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put you on blast here.
Speaker 9: What did I say? I have no recollection Oregon trail, Yeah, Froger.
Speaker 2: All right. For the audio listeners, we have a silhouetted portrait of a man standing. It's got a hat. He's carrying some sort of case, some sort of suitcase. Randall, I believe has an answer. Oh I do Brody and Clay, how we feeling mmm?
Speaker 6: Not feeling good?
Speaker 4: Because I should know it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I can give you about ten seconds here.
Speaker 4: I know this is wrong.
Speaker 2: Up, Clay's right and something down.
Speaker 3: Oh I still can't get over your blue tin.
Speaker 2: I know it kind of it's adding to the ambiu.
Speaker 3: It look like the child from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Speaker 2: Violent beat regard. Yeah, yeah, she she she chewed the gum. Yeah, you're turning Violet. Violet.
Speaker 9: You actually probably could like be her brother.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh yeah, I'll see the answers first. I'll do it the correct way. Randall says the Exorcist. Brody says vertigo. Good guess. Clay says Matt Wock. Just I can second here. You got that, and the correct answer is the Exorcist. It's like we got a point for Randall there. Well, at the end of round two, we've got Clay with two points, Brody with four, and Randall with seven. Our last round is where I piss all of you off. This one's just for me. This one's called sound bites. It has nothing to do with food or Ben Affleck. I just think these paparazzi images of Ben Affleck struggling to carry food into his house are very funny. In this round, I will be playing sounds or music samples from famous video game franchises, all right, and I would like for you to tell me the video game franchise. Not a specific game, sure, sure, but all these sounds come up from from storied. It's not just one game. It's big, famous things that even people who don't play video games have probably heard of. Sure, so let's move on to the first sound. Here it is.
Speaker 9: Randall's got it, I answered before I heard it.
Speaker 2: Really okay, excited to see what it is. And the thing is here. Here's the thing. I picked these all the all the answers are something that you could guess and you might get it. I didn't choose anything to obscure. So all right, let's see those see those answers, Randall says, Zelda, Brodie says pac Man. Clay says Zelda.
Speaker 9: If I got this right, I should get a lot of points because I literally looked at the twinkle in your eye and made that I wrote that Beefore.
Speaker 2: The direct answer is the legend of Zelda, specifically from the opera of Time. However, it plays in a lot of the game, a big chest that has like, you know, more important job.
Speaker 3: I think it's getting tight here?
Speaker 6: Did you know or did you guess?
Speaker 9: I mean, I didn't know. I did not recognize the noise.
Speaker 4: How can you be proud of your answer?
Speaker 9: Because I looked at the twinkle in Phil's eyes before I heard the sound clip and wrote zeld, I wouldn't have even known.
Speaker 4: From your rounding environment to come up.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Got, that's that's what. That's a method that works.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: Next sound.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's right, that same answer I had before.
Speaker 2: Would like to hear it again.
Speaker 5: No, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna play it anyone, all right, go ahead and reveal your answers. Pac Man pac Man Clay, says Mario. The correct answer is indeed, pac.
Speaker 5: Man Brody clued me in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that one, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Bert Brodie was the only one.
Speaker 3: Who looks I figured it was rather primitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, next, sound up again. It's just the franchise, just the franchise.
Speaker 3: Is this a later derivative of an earlier.
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll get to that. All right, in the mini follow up factoid, I have for this one specific mini question. Listen to it again one more time. Then Expeer answers Play has already showed me. Clay says Mario.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 2: You know that that that that works too, okay, Randall, says Mario. Brod he says street fighter play says Mario. The correct answer is Final Fantasy Fantasy. So that is the victory theme. Whenever you win a battle, it plays that song. It's been the same melody since the original Final Fantasy came out in the eighties, and to show how it's evolved, I made a montage of three of them. This is the very first one. Oh yeah, here's here's from Final Fantasy six and here's Final Fantasy sixteen. Oh yeah, it's nice, good stuff. All Right, we were down to our last question. Rand has run away with this game. But let's go. Let's do what we're gonna do it anyway, the last sound Unfortunately, I can't. I can't look at the comments, guys, because the room can see the comments, and I don't want them getting the answer. I'm gonna open up the comments anyway, because Randall's already won the game and I'm seeing how you guys are doing out here. See if anyone can get that one. We listen to it one more time, one more time. I'm sure that that will definitely catch on that. All right, go ahead and reveal your answers. Randal's says Techmobowl. That's a good one, Brodie Ciskellia. Clay says Mario. I like Clay's method here. Unfortunately, the answer is Halo combat evolved. When you run, your shield runs out and then it recharges. Now, I remember we had a few. We had a bunch of people get it in the chat here. Holy cow, good job gang. Anyway, that wraps up Phil's trivia with nine points. Thanks doctor Randall. Williams is our winner. Brody had five, Clay had three. Clay, I'm proud of you for getting Zelda.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that, Phil. I worry that the segment might lead to you leaving us here because your talents are on full display and the world now has glimpsed your full capability.
Speaker 2: This is just what I do when I when I go home, So I'll do this anytime, anytime. You'll have me back. Thanks, Thanks gents.
Speaker 6: Well, Jay, I know.
Speaker 3: We need to send you on your way here. You are in town for a first Light product development meeting and you're gonna really going to push the bear apps.
Speaker 5: But can you can you.
Speaker 3: Tell us just a little bit about what you're what you've been up to, and what you've been working on since hunting season slowed down?
Speaker 5: Well, the.
Speaker 9: I had a good season, had a good, good deer season, went to Alaska, killed a mountain goat with my bow, which was cool. But uh, I've been Uh, the biggest thing on my radar for the next year is a book that I'm working on and uh, I'm I'm kind of talking about it for the first time. It's uh, it's been in We've been working on it for a year already, and then I'll work on it basically for another year. And uh, and it's about the American black Bear. It's gonna be really incredible.
Speaker 5: Brody.
Speaker 9: By the way, we've made quite a bit of headway since I last talked to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to take a look jump in.
Speaker 5: We really did.
Speaker 9: I really feel like it's it's coming together but super exciting.
Speaker 5: That's uh. Do you have a release date?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 9: Or you know, I'm I'm afraid to definitely like in the.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you don't have a date on twenty six. It's the twenty six place.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, twenty six release is where we're at right now. So it kind of feels it's weird to work on a project that has that long of a runway. Never done that before, So it's it's kind of uncomfortable to talk about something that's like, you know, a year and a half away. Yeah, but it really is super exciting a lot of what I'm doing, and it's it's the book you were born to write, man. I hope, so, I hope. So it's a fascinating story man, of the American black Bear and and whatever's happening ecologically on planet Earth has been beneficial to black Bear and America's bear stories really just beginning.
Speaker 5: We're in the good old days. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, thank you for stopping by, and thank you for entertaining us here for half hour during a very busy day for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and tell them you got a couple supporters of the shops for First Lights twenty twenty seven line.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm gonna push these hard.
Speaker 3: You see that I already picked up on the shaps.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was good.
Speaker 5: All right, that was good, good, all right. Gus see you.
Speaker 3: Phil. Do we have any any final comments or questions we should address here?
Speaker 2: You know, there weren't a lot. We had a couple for Clay who just walked out the door.
Speaker 5: Heck, we'll get him next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was a great one about how he names a mule. You know, I was really excited to hear that one. Honestly, we didn't I got I got a lot of questions lost in the trivia playlne were occupied.
Speaker 3: People were too occupied with your game. Well, I do have a couple calls to action for our listeners. One we've already hit on today, and that is that we will be discussing Buffalo Rider next week on the med Eater Movie Club nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 5: Buffalo Rider.
Speaker 3: You can stream it free on two B, Roku and Pluto TV. So take a look at that and be sure to look forward to that discussion next week. And we will also be pre recording a pair of episodes of Radio Live to air during our holiday break at the end of the month, and so we want to address as many listener questions as we can during those episodes, which we'll record again ahead of airing. So please write into radio at the meat Eater dot com with any of your hunting and fishing related questions that you'd like the crew to discuss again. That's radio at the meadeater dot com. And yeah, please please if you got a burning question or if you can think of something that might be humorous for us to discuss. Uh, that would be much appreciated. And then finally it's I see it's twelve oh five. So before we go, I have a very special announcement to make, Phil, would you please, would you please do the honors?
Speaker 2: Oh crap, well I didn't prep I'll bring it up right. No, no, it is a big deal. It's a very big deal.
Speaker 3: We're gonna pull up the page where you can now pre order volume two in our history audiobooks here, which covers the Rocky Mountain Beaver trade. That is right, folks, Mediator's American History the Mountain Men eighteen oh six to eighteen forty is now officially available for pre order wherever you get your audiobooks. You can buy it now.
Speaker 2: Hey look at that.
Speaker 3: And on February eleventh, twenty twenty five, which is the official release date, you'll be able to simply wake up, download it and throw in your earbuds and listen to Steve tell you about one of his all time favorite topics. And he will be getting into the Mountain Men's story in all of the gritty and gory detail you could hope for. So if you go to the meeteater dot com click on audiobooks under the podcast tab, you'll see the cover art right there, done by the one and only Kelsey Morris. It's a sketch, an original sketch of a mountain man to Steve's demanding specifications and on. If you go to that page, the one that fills on now the publisher's page, you can see where you can pre order at Apple Books, Audible, audiobooks dot Com, Audiobookstore, dot Burns, and Noble Chirp, Google Play, Cobo and Libro FM. So go on there, order a couple, maybe a few holiday gifts for a history curious, loved one or friend, and you can look forward to enjoying that in the new year. We're excited for this to get out in the world, and Steve and I are already hard at work on the very next one. So I know folks have been asking about that in the chat over the past few months, and here it is. You can click that buy now button at this very moment, and with that we are going to sign off from Meat Eater HQ on behalf of Brody Clay, Phil Corinn and myself. Thank you for tuning in and we will see you next week.