Speaker 1: Warning today's episode. Can you spoilers for Daredevil board Again, Season two, episode four be warned. Hello and it is Jason Stepson. I'm Razy Night and welcome back to xt Revision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture.
Speaker 2: Cover to you from our podcast where we're bringing you three episodes week.
Speaker 3: Plus news on Saturday. But today's not news.
Speaker 2: It's the Devil. Devil two oh four.
Speaker 4: Oh baby, It's a great episode for me personally.
Speaker 3: It's a crazy one.
Speaker 4: This is a wild episode that I think the Netflix lovers will love and I too loved it and we will be recapping it.
Speaker 3: It is called gloves Often.
Speaker 4: It the comic book action gets comic book guys, and of course then we'll be bringing in stup and producer Aaron and probably boxing referee Aaron for our discussion on this episode.
Speaker 1: The first, let's get into it. Daredevil born a in episode two or four Gloves Off. We open with Decks making breakfast, making his bed, living just like a normal guy. To Bellageles New York state of mind. He heads out, gives a bumma dime, arrives at a local diner. He's a just an open hearted serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never done anything wrong in his life.
Speaker 1: He asks the lady at the counter, like, what do you recommend? She's like, we do a great milkshake. He's like, giving the milkshake. Then he calls nine to one one and says, hey, I just saw the punisher enter a diner, and he gives them the address where he is at. Task Wor shows up and of course Dex kills them all with four kind knives, a toothpick, and a lobster tail.
Speaker 4: He kills a guy with a love he kills a guy with the loves to tail, and then he squirts in catch up the ball's eye logo on the door, and my.
Speaker 2: Ooh, it's so good good.
Speaker 4: And my favorite moment as well, he has so much fun saying it is when one of the non Task Force members, because Dex only kills ice agents, I mean tight Taskforce members, he only kills them, and he said, hey, don't bring a dog into a diner. That's unhygienic, and the customer goes, please don't kill me, and he goes.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wouldn't do that. I'm one of the good guys.
Speaker 4: And it's so good, and then he walks out and there's like forty dead Task Force members in this diner. The can I just say he compliments the waitress on a delicious milkshake which he drunk all of We wow, you can.
Speaker 1: Just say, I just want to shout out whoever it was that's eating a lobster tail, right eating the.
Speaker 4: More seriously also as welling Jason do this how many as a former New Yorker, you know this is one of those very famous locations.
Speaker 3: It's that when he walks.
Speaker 4: In, it's the classic, you know, side diner that we always see in New York, the Metal Diner. Obviously that changes, what's what's your favorite diner to eat lobster in at a am in the morning in New York?
Speaker 2: And none zero none.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, don't use it from a diner.
Speaker 2: It's not a good idea. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: We get a new Mayor Kingpin video in which the masked Mayor who we know as BBI, is talking about Fisk's upcoming boxing match and how it's a distraction from all the things that are going on and the and it's also talking about the fact that the boxing thing is is a huge like money laundering scheme.
Speaker 2: Oh, corruption in sports. I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Karen is at the hideout filming resistant statements with the freed prisoners. Jack is there take a shower, but he's promises to help Matt. Angela offers to take Karen's SD card of the resistance videos interviews to her source. Angela is like, uh, and Angela would like to know for like the absolute million time that listen, I'm doing this for my mom.
Speaker 3: Doing it for my aunt, you know, are you doing it for my dad?
Speaker 1: And Karen is like, I don't know. It's not safe. You're four foot ten and this is very dangerous stuff. And Matt's like, yeah, let let her do it.
Speaker 2: Jesus Peace. Yeah right, yeah, she's wearing the amulet. Let her do it.
Speaker 1: And he asks her like, do you understand that this is that as Uncle Ben would.
Speaker 4: Say, I was good to say, or I I'll go bed with.
Speaker 2: With low to medium.
Speaker 1: Power comes greater responsibility than the average person. And then Matt hears something, you know, with his superhering it's somebody coming to the it's somebody coming to the hideout and it's Christophe, the first Mate, and he's here to help the resistance. Meanwhile, Vanessa takes her little gun that she got from Buck.
Speaker 3: I love that little gun.
Speaker 4: Also, like Carving, I feel like there's a plot here that we're not saying or something that's Buck is. A lot of people feel like there's a Buck Vanessa a fag going.
Speaker 2: On in the show.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of talk about that there is a little romance there, but I feel like they're not giving us full answers.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there there is the fact that Vanessa was like, Hey, Heather, you need a new guy. You know who's really sexy and hot? This guy Buck that so she's she's eyed him up clearly. So she takes her little gun to her meeting with the governor, and uh, Vanessa doesn't like. She tells Wilson that Wilson is sending her to meet the governor in Almony when he's got the fight. She wants to be at the fight, and he's like.
Speaker 2: You know what's true.
Speaker 5: Safety ducks is out there, gees are out there. It's going to be a major target for the vigilanties of her decks. I watched the safe.
Speaker 1: So she's like whatever. Karen interviews Christof about the boat. What was on the boat and we get we hear everything that we already know is filled with guns is filled with fake documents. All the paperwork in the on the boat was signed by Fisk personally. Why are you Here's what I don't understand, Like what you're in a freeport that's like lawless?
Speaker 2: What are they and why are you signing your name on that? What is the paper work for?
Speaker 1: Karen and Matt call in to McDuffie because you know, the statements thing is getting out of They've got real stuff now and they want to get it on the record. We also learned that the fight, the cooking in the kitchen or whatever it is, is taking place.
Speaker 2: In Matt's dad's old Jim fog.
Speaker 4: Wells insane insane behavior like this is one of the craziest most comic bookie things of all time. It's like, remember that traumatic thing that happened to your dad and where it happened. Well, guess what, We're going back there for another traumatic thing that's gonna happen to you.
Speaker 2: And I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: So they hit so they you know, they have a they have their marching orders.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Karen will handle getting the interviews to McDuffie so that McDuffie can get them on the record.
Speaker 2: Matt will find decks for.
Speaker 1: Reasons and they trade I love yous and they leave the task Force raid McDuffie and Murdoch. Of course, I'm surprised they haven't done this before. And they're like, where's Jacques Duquine, the Swordsman? And he's not there. Of course McDuffie's like, he's not fucking here, why would he be here? Blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: You guys suck.
Speaker 1: And it's very clear that Powell is doing this specifically as a message to Matt, who continues to be on the road. Fisk is pissed that all the caged people escaped from the rent. He's a black site before it blew up, and GEX is on the loose, and there's leaks coming from inside of his office that are being turned into masked videos that make him look foolish.
Speaker 2: Fisk wants all of this cleaned up.
Speaker 1: He is very very passed me whilester c not happy. Meanwhile, mister Charles, who is taking on this Brad Pitt in Ocean's eleven, I'm eating all the time, right, I know he's cracking me up.
Speaker 3: That's his power play.
Speaker 1: I guess shows up and is like, hey, the guns I and we find out now this is connected to a much larger thing. I need the guns somewhere else, like they're struck at your port. You told me you would be able to transit my guns through your port so that I could get them to where I need them, and it you're slowing everything down and you're fucking my business up. And Fisk is like, well, I can't move them right now because of.
Speaker 4: This whole thing his toss for like, come on, guy.
Speaker 2: They argue about it.
Speaker 1: Mister Charles points out that you have an arrangement with like bigger dogs than you, and you better fucking go through with it.
Speaker 2: And meanwhile, you've.
Speaker 1: Got the governor breathing down your neck about the charter, and mister Charles is like, I don't think you're up to this. I frankly like we thought you were better than you are and maybe.
Speaker 2: You're just washed up.
Speaker 1: Buck reaches for his gun, but mister Charles has his guys step out of the shadows and then Buck immediately shoots the.
Speaker 2: Guys in there, like sorry.
Speaker 4: He's like, sorry, bitch, absolutely not like you hided two random guys like a miss the Sea is like, oh well, I wouldn't come here without protecting myself. A Buck's like okay, okay, yeah, and then Fisk is like, be patient, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: You at New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, just New York. I'll get I'll get you your gun.
Speaker 3: Mister Sea, uh not, like, honestly flop that one.
Speaker 2: I gotta say.
Speaker 3: You got more guys?
Speaker 2: Is he good?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Come on, you gotta do your do your opposition research on Bucke, realize that he's actually good at his job.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be right raw back.
Speaker 1: Karen in the Wig comes to see McDuffie.
Speaker 2: She loves this man. I know, I think her and Matt with the wig, and I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna say, there's a little role play little Jessica Jones Matt Roplake and she so she.
Speaker 1: Comes to McDuffie and gets her to do the witness statement so it's all official and on the record.
Speaker 2: Where's Matt.
Speaker 1: McDuffie wants to know, and Karen's like, I don't know. I just know I can't I can't talk about that. Vanessa chats with the governor the governor is like, listen, I know he's your husband, but I don't like the way he does business. And Vanessa's like, well, they is booming, so what's the fucking problem?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the the doao. Look at the dow, bitch, look at that dome, the dow, the doll And the governor is like, well, you know here's my thing. Woman to woman, boss bitch to boss bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why you were doing great on your own right, running the criminal I guess she's saying, like running the criminal empire.
Speaker 2: I think she's just like, yeah, she's like you.
Speaker 4: She's like, if one of you is going to go into politics, I feel like it could have been you, babe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like why you don't need him? You could do this.
Speaker 1: And she basically says like, hey, I'll back you like you. Let's mate, what do you think about moving Fisk out of the way. He's causing a lot of problems. She didn't say this explicitly, but she suggests it like I can back I can back you, and and by the way, tangential to that, I'll back Fisk, but you have to be involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you want to be my shadow man?
Speaker 2: Facing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Angela goes to her friend Jabbi who's working at the food truck and gives him some money and the st card of the interviews and wants him to deliver it clearly to Bebe, which is, I don't understand why Angela can't deliver it to Bbe or mail it to.
Speaker 6: Her like.
Speaker 3: A random teenage boy do this?
Speaker 2: Like, come on? Absolutely fine?
Speaker 1: Anyway, Matt goes to the diner to investigate, dressed as a task Force guy.
Speaker 2: He's like, get out of here.
Speaker 5: I'm task Force, Move out of here, murdered detectives like, I'm task Force and.
Speaker 2: I'm pulling right and I'm looking her up.
Speaker 1: Finds the church token at the diner and goes to the so decides to go to the church. He goes to the church, talks to the priest about growing up in the church, and then wants to know, hey, did did the serial killer Bullseye come here?
Speaker 3: I'm gad did he get did he say this guy to a dime?
Speaker 1: And the and the priest's heart jumps, so Matt knows, okay, he has been here. Matt heads over to the apartment and Dex is there to Dex's apartment and they fight. Dex is like, no, I'm a good guy.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm a good guy. Now I want to help.
Speaker 4: And the whole he's like, I only killed the toss ball was like, I didn't kill anyone, and.
Speaker 2: And and you know that they're bad and you love it.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, so they talk about it and Dex is like, listen, Vanessa and Fisk, I blame them for making me into this. They turned me into this, which is true, they did. Dex needs to take some responsibility. But Vanessa and Fisk exacerbated and ongoing mental health SA turned him into a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that did happen. And he's like, well, now I want to do good. I want to balance the scales. And he's saying this while he's holding the landlady hostage, who by the way, I really liked him, Like I feel like he didn't need to.
Speaker 2: He was, she was a fan. You didn't need to do this.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he's obsessed with this idea of balancing the scales and one good deed, like he can do one good deed that's gonna make everything better.
Speaker 2: And by the way, his one good deed kill Wilson.
Speaker 1: Fish, which finally, come on, man, no one will do it, and Dex escapes.
Speaker 2: He hits a delivery man with a can. He throws a can and then the delivery guy on an e bike. Dude, it's so good.
Speaker 4: It's so you can like imagine the from the comic book, like the image of the town with the shell cambind and then it says like kathun like he just bumped right out there. I mean, they use Dex's powers in such a good, hilarious in this show.
Speaker 2: It's it's insists insane.
Speaker 1: Christoph now testifies on tape to McDuffie.
Speaker 2: He puts everything on the kingpin. As we know.
Speaker 1: McDuffie is like, Okay, I'm gonna get you somewhere safe.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna call the US Marshals.
Speaker 1: I'm cutting I'm cutting the local I'm cutting local law enforcement completely out of it. The US Marshals will keep you safe. Bbe shows up at the fight as a guest of Dan.
Speaker 2: Come on Hobby.
Speaker 1: Tommy shows up and is like, oh my god, bb bby Urick of the Baby reports.
Speaker 2: You shit, Can I get it? Can I get a selfie?
Speaker 1: And he slips the SD card in her pocket. Dan gets a little suspicious, maybe a little jealous notices. It was not sly enough that Dan did not notice something was going on. And again I ask you, why did it have to be here? Why did it have to be now? You couldn't mail it to her apartment.
Speaker 2: You couldn't just like meet her outside of her good her place.
Speaker 4: You couldn't have like a mailman drop it to Hub or like put it inside the store where you could do like an exchange like you've been doing before, Like you had to let some teenagers get involved, like a couple on shit out of goods.
Speaker 2: And it had to be in the presence of the Kingpins, like like very air apparent and various members of the Kingpin staff.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Fisk is preparing for the fight. He's backstage preparing for the fight. Buckets a text and it's like I gotta go. Powell is like, okay, well, Buck's not here. I will handle your personal security of the fight. I will make sure that Dexter and whoever like the Swordsman and anybody.
Speaker 2: No mass vigilantes will get in here. I promised you.
Speaker 3: I don't trust Powell. I'm not gonna lie job he is.
Speaker 1: Dan comes back to his seat with like like a budget he's got so much merch, and he's got this little crystal like Fisk crystal like keep and all this like little stuff, and he's like so so excited.
Speaker 2: Buck.
Speaker 1: It turns out was sent over to take out Christoph and the Marshals say.
Speaker 2: Which he does easily.
Speaker 1: He fucking wipes out the Marshals and assassinates Christoph, no problem, he does it. Kingpin, who is absolutely murdering his opponent in the fucking ring, like to the point where people are looking around like Jesus Christ, like fucking hell, this is crazy because the Kingpin is of course like thinking about all the vigilantes and thinking about Man and thinking about Dexter, and he's just fucking going crazy on this guy. Dan's loving He like, oh yeah, what the is going on?
Speaker 2: Everybody's just everybody's like, what's going on?
Speaker 4: But then Vanessa floats in back from Albany to surprise old Kingpins wearing a why are you killing guy? Wearing a little white you know, with her little white bag, looking like the Angel. The governor called in to calm down her man, and Fisk's like, I told you not to. Confidence.
Speaker 1: So he gets the news mid match from Powell, like whispering through the through the ropes, like don't worry, like Christoph is dead. Meanwhile, the Kingpin has killed the fucking guy in the ring, whoever that guy is. And we have to say, like they when they did the weights they they put they put the Kingpin at what did they put him at? Like three something fifty three three twenty five? No fucking way, this guy is minimum three eighty five to ninety.
Speaker 4: He's push him four for sure, Like I see those he's just their king yes, body stature.
Speaker 2: Like that's just how it is. Let's not lie. I mean.
Speaker 4: Also, Aaron will get into this war, I'm sure, but like just boxing wise, also like those numbers don't make sense, Like there's no way you're getting in that fight.
Speaker 3: Like it's crazy. This man was always gonna die.
Speaker 4: But unfortunately for king And that is not the last thing that happens that night.
Speaker 2: So Vanessa is here.
Speaker 1: Now Fisk is saying you shouldn't have come, and of course Deck strikes here. He is comes in with the knives. He's dropping Task Force guys as they try to save Fisk, He's dropping them, dropping them drop.
Speaker 2: Fisk is like to the task Force, get her out of here.
Speaker 1: She's like, well, let me just ye, I pulled my I got my little gun.
Speaker 3: In gun.
Speaker 2: He pulls her little silver gun out and shoots Decks does hit him as Kingpin blocks his throat.
Speaker 1: He's throw throwing one of the little crystal Fisk keepsakes at Fisk, and Fisk, with incredible reflexes, takes his championship belt, which he had won for killing guy in the ring, switch to.
Speaker 2: Block the crystal thing good and it smashes. He does it.
Speaker 1: It blocks it and smashes and every but he is safe. But before Fisk can kill Dex with his hands, d d comes in, Daredavil Matt Murdoch and whist Decks away like on like they goes. They go swinging out and Fisk is like, what just happened?
Speaker 2: He looks up.
Speaker 1: He's like, well, thank god, I saved my own life by smashing the crystal Fisk Memorial boxing match.
Speaker 2: Keepsake Vanessa? You kidding?
Speaker 1: And he looks at Vanessa, and Vanessa's standing there with a side of with a piece of shard of the memorial merch in her temple, crazy and it's bleeding from the temple and she's got this far away look in her face, on her in her face, like Fisk, did we do it?
Speaker 2: And then she falls? Oh crazy episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to a break and then we will come back and we will bring Aaron in and we will discuss this whole thing.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, craziness.
Speaker 6: Ed.
Speaker 1: We're rack welcome Aaron to producer, Aaron to the program. What an episode of The Daredevil corny television program. Absolutely nuts, nuts nuts, stuff.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts well.
Speaker 6: Weighing in at one hundred and sixty pounds, I'm here to give my thoughts on the scrapping in the kitchen fight. You know, I don't love Chekhov's glass Fisk sculpture being a part of the match, but I understand that it is a necessary moment.
Speaker 3: Because he killed Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Fisk is the one who did well. We don't know if she's dead, but like he's.
Speaker 4: The one who bleeding from her head, this is bleeding from my head.
Speaker 3: Gave us a troll bactic braided Jerif for shure.
Speaker 6: I think you've talked about how this show adheres so closely to the comics and has such a comics vibe to it. I felt like this fight was the epitome of that like just using the championship belt to smack the thing out of the air, Daredevils swinging in at the last moment and like them careening through the glass window. All of this folks so comic, bookie.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 6: And what a really you know, TV shows I think have these great moments where they bring a bunch of characters together. What an incredible way to bring everyone together. Oh yeah, the mayor is beating someone to death at a fundraise.
Speaker 2: Kill the guy. That's the part that will not shot it like rip to.
Speaker 1: Mayors opponent and will never be talked about, Like the news cycle is going to be Bullseye attacks, scraping in the kitchen fight with Mayor Vaneska Fisk dead question mark and we're never going.
Speaker 2: To talk about this poor again or any of the task Force guys that were killed.
Speaker 4: Deer. But I was so the craziest thing to me is like why is he fighting a man like a hundred pounds out of his weight class?
Speaker 2: Like so this was a you shouldn't have more than a hundred. I would say more than a hundred.
Speaker 6: What I can't tell you how much money it would take for me to engage in that fight, you would have to like serious, I would need generational wealth for like four segments of my generation down to.
Speaker 1: The contract would have to be and you pay out to my family.
Speaker 2: Gis whatever I die, Yeah, when I die, When I.
Speaker 1: Die, because it looks like like this like a hard obviously hard to judge real life to this show. But he when I think of what he would be like in like to stand next to I think like Boston Celtic Shaquille O'Neal, Like, yeah, exactly is what I think, Phoenix Sun Shaquillo O'Neil.
Speaker 2: You go like.
Speaker 4: He's like an upside He's like a giant upside down de rito, And they did.
Speaker 2: Actually I want to say, actually, I think.
Speaker 4: The costuming in this season has done such an incredible job at making him seem way bigger than he is. Really leaning into that silo app because it's crazy.
Speaker 6: I did a little bit of research on boxing weight classes just to get a sense. So they do announce Fiscus three twenty five, they say that's.
Speaker 2: His way in no way.
Speaker 1: Sure, who knows how much he cut that day, but guys, I've been pushing two hundred pounds for a long time. That bad is not three twenty five.
Speaker 6: Well, look, he's amateur boxing range like heavyweight boxing tops out at two hundred pounds. Now you can you can go above that obviously, but you have like that is where the cutoff begins. Amateur boxing weight classes top out it two twenty five. So Fisk is still one hundred pounds on paper, heavier than amateur. The heaviest in amateur typical, like heavyweight boxers might aim to be like two forty to two sixty. Let's give matter horn like the benefit of the doubts. Say he's too sixty, he's still like sixty pounds under.
Speaker 4: Still a whole child under face. Okay, wait, so I gotta ask you guys a question. Then, do you think was the boxing match? Did it technically take place in red hook? So none of these rules mad.
Speaker 2: It's like a free port. So even like.
Speaker 1: Boxing, whoa, it's if it's well, it's clearly yeah, it's the kitchen, I will say, per Marvel, per Marvel Comics. In the comics, Wilson Fisk is six foot seven and four hundred and fifty pounds with.
Speaker 2: Two percent body. That's all muscle fat. That's all. That's that what looks like fat is all muscled.
Speaker 3: He's gonna stay healthy for Vanessa.
Speaker 8: Okay, he's got He's gonna be doing his pushups, keeping that core strength going two body fat corumba No four fifty please you guys.
Speaker 1: Like four hundred, four hundred and thirty five pounds of muscle and then if you're a muscle, the rest two percents just like his organs.
Speaker 2: Yea, his bones.
Speaker 6: Yeah I did. I did look up online. I was like, what is the best way to beat a three hundred and twenty five pound boxer? And the number one AI recommendation was escape. Yeah, it's a I was like, runaway, don't get a fight, don't get into a street fight with a three hundred twenty five pound boxer.
Speaker 2: So that would be my first strategy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean definitely. I think they would probably go for like a.
Speaker 4: George Saint Pierre style, like somebody who just like lays on top of another boxer jiu jitsu fighter. You know, that's probably a mixed martial arist is your bet, but running away is your smartest.
Speaker 2: But no question.
Speaker 1: Here's what here's the various we we talked about it, you know, time and again about how comic book this is and when you really like, what's what that means to me is like there's a ridiculousness that is.
Speaker 2: Fun in and of itself. The idea to like involve Jobby why right?
Speaker 1: Like that itself is like why are we in Mother Angela? Go deliver the SD card?
Speaker 2: Why do you need this guy? Like why do we need him?
Speaker 1: And then the fact that like, Okay, so Matt Dex escapes from Matt by knocking a delivery guy off his.
Speaker 2: Moped with a can, okay, and in the save that.
Speaker 1: Afternoon into the into the New York afternoon, right, and so Matt's like where will Deck strike next? Clearly the boxing match, So the idea that Matt like what was Matt doing.
Speaker 2: During the box Like how come he was there so late? Stop him?
Speaker 1: Like just like where what was he doing? Where he gets there and the Deck's attacks.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you what if it wasn't the comic, you would do like, yeah, that would be like a little ten page backup story about how like he's trying to get a cab and he can't get a cab and.
Speaker 2: Then he's trying to.
Speaker 4: He's and he's listening on the radio like oh ship, like the boxing ratches.
Speaker 2: And the rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rain is coming down and it's fucking up his radar vision and he can't like do all this stuff.
Speaker 3: And then he gets.
Speaker 6: If Jack hadn't bankrolled their entire operation, I would have said he probably went in. He laid some money down on the fight, so he was collecting again before I came in. He was like, I gotta get this payout and now I'll go change real quick.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: That's scandalous. Scandalous.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think another thing that I love is You're so right, Jason. It is the ridiculousness. And I think that's what's appealing so much. Is this is that kind of perfect balance between you know, I guess in some other shows it would almost be camp, but they don't push it that far, so they balance it of a comic booky kind of ridiculous nature of these actions, of the of a little girl being involved, of a teenage boy being involved, but those feel comic book because those are the characters they would put in as in characters for the audience in a comic book, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I kind of love.
Speaker 4: That they're keeping that up while not trying to do some whole Reekuel not trying to do some whole reboot. Instead, it's like, well, how do we add these little things that make it familiar to the people who are picking up the comic books or who used to pick them up.
Speaker 2: And I think you're right.
Speaker 4: The word ridiculous is so perfect for me because this episode is like legitimately a fantastic episode of television. It's so well made, it's so good.
Speaker 2: It's definitely up there.
Speaker 4: I know we have some still some born again cynics or it hasn't hit for them yet in the Discord, but I believe that this is gonna be the episode that turns the tables.
Speaker 3: It feels like Netflix, but with more flair.
Speaker 4: With more color, with more fun like Decks being able to be funny with his powers, the tin can off the moped.
Speaker 3: I rewound that like fifty times.
Speaker 2: It was so fucking funny.
Speaker 4: Man Like it's Charlie Chaplin, Yes, yes, silly. That's another thing that kind of slapstick.
Speaker 3: Nature, the Looney Tunes nature of it.
Speaker 4: We definitely get that in Fisk's fight, like the notion that he can kind of smash this memorabilia trophy crystal fucking you know, boxing bakeoff tray that they gave him or whatever a smash it just out of the way with that fucking belt is just so good. Like when it happens and it explodes, you get that hero moment. You feel like, oh my god, he saved himself, like you tried to take down Fisk and you can't. And then that kind of slow pullback reveal. We were talking about how we didn't really know what they were gonna do with Vanessa, and that's kind of how it felt. And I didn't see this coming, Like I really felt like after such a dex heavy episode, this would be about his showdown with Kingpin. And I think that I love the fact that we've ended up in a place where technically, if something happens to Vanessa nowt it's Wilson's fault. He's gonna have to live with that, Like his choice to defend himself ended up being the thing that injured her.
Speaker 1: Just get just get killed with the crystal memorial Wilson Fisk merch and but I have to say, like the reflex, I was shocked at the reflexes.
Speaker 3: Incredible four hundred pounds sent Buddy fat.
Speaker 1: That's how you know, for fifty for fifty.
Speaker 2: He's so quick. I wonder if he is.
Speaker 1: Do you think he's four fifty in the show and he just lied about his weight was yes, twenty five.
Speaker 6: You can't think of any politicians that would lie about their weight, guys, I mean.
Speaker 2: You would do that. I mean. Also, the thing is about Wilson Fisk and I do.
Speaker 3: Love this as well, about the way they shoot Vincent Donofrio.
Speaker 4: You know, like a solid seventy pounds of that is just that man's fat head, that fat bowed hell like that show, that's seventy pounds on that shoulders.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say, shouts to Vince, to mister Donofrio. Mister Donofrio is sixty six years old. This is a physical fucking role, dude, he's got He will probably have another fight scene, right, at least one more fight scene, is.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: They've had.
Speaker 1: He's had what two fight scenes already in the show, including him killing the boxer.
Speaker 3: I know I was gonna say, I'm like, where's the boxing coach? I'm guess he did it to make it back from the mirror smash.
Speaker 2: I'm like, or is he in a catch?
Speaker 6: I read an interview they did with Danafrio where he was saying a lot of times since Hawkeye, he's had the fat suit, but he's also had his arms covered. So his frame, you believe it because he's got the fat suit. So for this season, he had to do extra workouts to build up his shoulders and arms because he's he's got a tank on here, so you have to believe that his arms saw finally fit. So if you're looking at it and it does look a little off, it's because usually he does have a little arm padding.
Speaker 2: But for this he hit the gym.
Speaker 1: I didn't think it looked off. I thought that man who looking good, Well, he's doing an incredible job. Okay, shall we talk about who we think is going to live and die? Because I think we've got some changes here.
Speaker 6: First off, can I just say I think the first mate, I think he's gonna make it through the show.
Speaker 2: Right Wait, no, never mind, never mind, Yeah, that's another I just want to say, listen.
Speaker 6: Christoph, Chris, Matt, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You and Matt together? It's time like step into.
Speaker 1: The modern day of what's going on in New York fucking doing just like not get with it? What what do you think has been happening out here, Like, look at what's going on all around you. You're gonna put this guy in the hands of the US Marshals, would you call them on on your phone? Like surely your phone isn't tapped, right, Like, give me a fucking break, McDuffie, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: What is Cherry and the good cops for? Where the fuck is Cherry?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good point. Where's the tay? Where are the fuck is Cherry? You have Cherry handle this also as well?
Speaker 4: How about the fact that, like Daredevil is the only person who has managed to evade the law, So why not put this criminal, I mean, this wanted man who is not a criminal on the run with dead Devil, Like you don't give him to the fucking US Marshals and then your surprise is getting taken out and Matt have a lot of blood on their hands with this sexual frustration chemistry.
Speaker 2: Just have sex run the law institute properly.
Speaker 4: Matt can be with you and he's Matt, and he can be with Karen when he's dead Devil.
Speaker 2: You'll be fine. But yes, I'm I think what do you think?
Speaker 1: I think McDuffie needs her own She needs her own like super villain, super legal super villain who can help her realize, like what's going on in the world right now?
Speaker 2: And stop? Oh I like that.
Speaker 4: I like would you would you would think after the DA that she would maybe realize the US Marshals wasn't like the safe.
Speaker 6: The problem is all of her like opponents and rivals are her old friends, like Heather, It's all people she's like close with. The only people she's upset with are them and mat Like. She doesn't have real enemies right now, she just has spurned partners.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right. She needs a true, true nemesis.
Speaker 4: You know, if Heather ends up becoming Muse like Muse too or Lady Muse or Miss.
Speaker 3: Muse or whatever cools Miss Muse.
Speaker 2: Muse x.
Speaker 4: But yeah, whatever version she if she does eventually become that she could that could.
Speaker 2: Be a good foil for McDuffie, do we think so?
Speaker 1: Here's my thing with the I think that the Muse mask has like some sort of evil force.
Speaker 2: You think it's possessing her, right, yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 1: I think that she's obviously on her own mental health journey as well. But I think there's why she put the thing about how Jack feels possessed, because really that was about Hi.
Speaker 2: I think them.
Speaker 1: Yes, the mask is possessing her and she's going to have because I'm like, so, what is she gonna do? Just like walk up and strangle people with her right.
Speaker 2: Now and then it's gonna be She's what worlds struggle is, right, Grip. No, She's gonna She's gonna do the true Muse thing.
Speaker 1: And it's because the Muse costume has an evil spirit in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that, Jason. That's insane and I love it.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, which again, very comic book, very colic.
Speaker 1: Completely we've been talking about an evilhood.
Speaker 3: Literally just saw it and miss I mean iron Heart. There's lots of there's lots of reasoning.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So, Jason, last week, your three death pools were Vanessa looking good, BBI or Dan.
Speaker 3: So what are you thinking now?
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna I think Vanessa obviously let's cross her off. So she did another one, and I think I'm gonna add the governor to my list.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Governor is playing a dangerous game.
Speaker 1: Either pull the port or don't pull the port, but don't let fisk.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, over hanging over his head. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna put the Governor on my list to take Vanessa's place. R at Vanessa, and you know, I don't it seemed pretty bad. Maybe she's not dead yet, but she was. It seemed like that crystal shard of Fat Wilson's memorial boxing match merch did penetrate. And then I'm gonna say, and then I'm gonna stay with So I'm gonna go Governor BB Dan, And I do think it's one of I'm gonna go one of BB or Dan.
Speaker 2: I'm putting BB back.
Speaker 3: At the top because I feel like the Harvey bb Ann Harvey.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think I think.
Speaker 4: They might might have to both go, oh this is yeah, rip Vanessa O.
Speaker 3: We love her. They didn't know what to do with her this season.
Speaker 2: Sense.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Dex could go, you know what, let's I think I'm gonna put decks on mine because I don't want to put Dan on there as well as BB again, So I.
Speaker 3: Think it's true. I don't.
Speaker 4: I did think at some point we might see Karen kill Dex, but I don't think that's where they're going because I think they want the Matt Karen thing to be good though. They could end the season with her killing Decks and then that could be kind of a lead into the Punisha. But yeah, I think you're right, Jason. I think Dex is a good one. Aaron, who are your final three?
Speaker 6: I mean I had Vanessa on last I think we all had Vanessa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all had Vanessa.
Speaker 6: So I also had Dan and I had Governor McCaffrey. I'm keeping McCaffrey on there. I think she Yeah, I'm keeping m McCaffrey is gonna go. I think that like they're trying to build her as his rival to Fisk, but it seems like he doesn't even think about her. So I'm wondering, like does Vanessa. Well, at first I thought maybe the Nessa would kill her, but now maybe Heather or Buck gets her. So I think McCaffrey's number one. I think BB like I think they're building to Bay. I think I think they're building Daniel up to almost be a tragic figure now where he's gonna have to make a choice between Fisk or Bib, and he's gonna pick Fisk. And I think BB is done for.
Speaker 1: I like I like the I like the Anakin turn to the dark side, Dan becoming like the new Fisk when whatever happens to which.
Speaker 4: Has been like like seating as well.
Speaker 6: And my third one is Karen. You guys kind of you mentioned it in the recap.
Speaker 2: Karen and Matt.
Speaker 1: Said, yeah, but she's got to choose between Frank and she's got to choose between Frank and Matt.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that I think a mad Karen Love triangle is too good.
Speaker 4: I agree, it's it's so juicy. Also, guys, I do have to say something as well. Ian pointed something out really good, so I just want to give him a quick shout out because he just pointed out that if Vanessa hadn't shot Decks, Decks wouldn't have missed with the crystal anyway, So like it.
Speaker 2: Was a Vanessa Fisk mix. They did it to themselves.
Speaker 3: But yeah, if Vanessa makes it good for.
Speaker 2: Her, RP to her.
Speaker 4: If not, and oh my god, like sorry to New York if she's really dead, because Wilson Fisk is gonna be fucking screwing.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be screwing, he's gonna he's gonna lose his He's gonna lose his nut.
Speaker 2: I will say that.
Speaker 1: I I just want to say again how wonderful it is. Let's not forget about the whole about how the governor is involved because of this insane season one plot line of the ancient Deeds.
Speaker 3: Red Hook that was like a pirate fucking math from the.
Speaker 1: Pre Civil War era, right that is apparently the only copy and legally verified document pertaining to the Red Hook property, and nobody else had ever thought or considered or investigated the the legal status of the red Hook port. And when this like crusty fucking scroll show up like that, now we understand.
Speaker 2: Oh now I understand.
Speaker 1: What the status of the poor one. It's so good. I love that that is the case.
Speaker 4: I love it so much, and I love that they mix it in with this like real kind of grimy brutality and violence like there ever since. And I know this is such a funny poll because I know people did not love this show. But if you haven't watched the last episode of like when Echo shows up, oh so this would actually be Hawkeye, which was a great show. But the finale of Hawkeye spoiler alert, when Echo shows up and shoots Kingpin in the head, and before that.
Speaker 3: We've seen how crazy powerful he is.
Speaker 4: It's one of the coolest representations of Oh, this is how the MCU is gonna differentiate itself is by holding the comic book accuracy and the crazy costumes and the Kingpin in a Hawaiian suit kind of vibe with this brutality. And I think that the red hook scroll and this kind of scraping in the kitchen is such a great example of how they've managed to balance both and why I do think that this is actually a really great season of TV.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we will continue to talk about Born Again season two on X ray Vision. Also coming up, Mall Shadow Lord. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Hie.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted.
Speaker 1: By Jason SEPs Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 4: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dian, Jhonathan and Fay Wag.
Speaker 6: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi or Di called moderate though.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mike, as is his Nephi Mary, I just want to talk about the scraping in the kitchen bow tod I, which I just want to say. I logged it into my Cauchi account and I looked and somebody named uh Dan hart beebe Forever placed five hundred dollars on the kingpin, not just to win, but to murder his rival. And I just want to say, anybody, and by the way, not a crazy bet. Anybody who was thinking anything else, what have you been looking at the kingpin?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: How big this guy? How many chairs has he gone through since he's been maya? What is he sitting on? Adamantium chairs? This is this guy? Forget about it. There is no way that whoever he was fighting, and uh you know, my, my, my deepest condolences to the Greek spot that was formerly the opponent of Wilson Fisk in the ring. But there was no way that guy took had a chance. He did not have a chance.
Speaker 2: Mike.
Speaker 1: It was a travesty. This is what boxing has come to. This used to be a great sport, Mike. It used to be boxing, horse racing and and and whatever. Else in this country, and now boxing has fallen. This is what this is what passes for the sport.
Speaker 2: Of kings in this country. Mike, I'll take my answer off the other. Thank you.