Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and Michael Cossin and iHeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: DA It's moving day, Moving day?
Speaker 1: How stressed are you right now that you're not at the house. It's directing the movers where to go.
Speaker 3: I cannot run out of here fast enough because I'm such a I would call myself an amazing delegator.
Speaker 1: It needs to be a more intense word than amazing.
Speaker 2: What does it need to be.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I can't come up with the vocabulary for it.
Speaker 3: I just I like to delegate and the fact that I'm not there right now with the movers because we had such a bad experience moving out of our national house to hear because you.
Speaker 1: Hired sixteen year old kids that were stealing all of our stuff.
Speaker 3: I did not hire six year old kids. They were a company, and I don't think I could say the company, but they hired sixteen year old kids, and they.
Speaker 1: Stole our booze, tried to steal alcohol.
Speaker 3: They tried to steal alcohol, and then they broke a couple pieces of furniture, and then they threw all of our stuff into the storage unit.
Speaker 1: And it just it looks like everything's just short.
Speaker 2: It looks like everything.
Speaker 1: I was so angry that I couldn't be there.
Speaker 4: Of all things to not skimp on, they say the movers is one of them. It sounds like you guys were cutting costs.
Speaker 2: Michael, no stretching here, No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: So I I somehow got in charge.
Speaker 1: Of this some some somehow, she just somehow she didn't say, I got it, I'll hire them, I'll be there. I got it. You weren't even there when we moved, and then for some reason you wanted to take a flight out the same day, thinking oh yeah, the mover said they'll be done by.
Speaker 2: Three's what they said.
Speaker 1: No one's ever done on time. How did you find these people?
Speaker 3: I used them before. It's you know, all of my brothers, but changed the name.
Speaker 1: That was the company.
Speaker 3: They're a very big company, okay. And I called and and they weren't the cheapest route, but they they did a terrible job. But we did call and we talked to the company and they gave us.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of money. But that's good.
Speaker 3: But it's just going to break my heart because I showed him when we went back to Nashville a couple of weeks ago, I showed him what the storage and it looked like and it literally looks like I mean, there's broken side glasses and side tables and all our faces look broken because they just threw.
Speaker 2: It in there.
Speaker 1: It looks like a dumpster at the dump where they put all the furniture, but in his origin.
Speaker 3: And that's my bad because I shouldn't have left that day. But we were flying to fourth of July for vacation, so I had everything planned, you know, and if people.
Speaker 1: Aren't up to Jam's plan, it ruins everything.
Speaker 2: Hey, I did already.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, anyways, this is the fact you're here right, So here we are again, though we're it's still not there for the move. Now we've got these movers, but I trust this movie company.
Speaker 4: My friend Chris Guy I used to know in Wisconsin. He moved from Wisconsin to Florida recently, and he made news on this because he went to the news to try to bust these people. They loaded his stuff, They made him pain care ash red flag. There were a bunch of red flags and he didn't see his stuff for like two and a half months. What And then I was calm and saying, oh no, we got it. It's common notes coming. Yeah, we got it. We will be there Tuesday. Then they would show up Tuesday, and his weeks and weeks and months went by.
Speaker 1: He had to go in the local news.
Speaker 4: It got picked up in different cities, Like he's really because he went on a Facebook group and tons of people have the same problem with the same company.
Speaker 1: They just steal your stuff.
Speaker 2: Whose company? What was it?
Speaker 1: I should look up the name of the company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you should.
Speaker 1: But he ended up getting a stuff back.
Speaker 4: A lot of it was broken and some of it was stolen, but he got most of it back, and he had already been convinced he was never getting any of it back, so he considered that a win and he's moving on.
Speaker 1: But wow, you got to research.
Speaker 4: And he'll be the first to admit he should have done more research, the Yelp reviews, the better business for bureau check, he.
Speaker 1: Should have done all that back. He saw a great deal and he took it. Yeah, that kind of stuff, you.
Speaker 3: Got to Well, I we got this mover from Instagram because when someone on Instagram, like I said, who's your favorite moving companies? Oh yeah, and this girl was like, oh, my brother's friend or whatever works for the company.
Speaker 1: Well, they've been great because a guy that owns the company came to the house.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ryan, he's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's been on a you know, direct line basis.
Speaker 3: With North American Moving Company. This is not an ad, but they've been great so far.
Speaker 1: So that's why. But today, today is d day. Today is when we find out how great they are.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: And I'm so stressed out i am. It's all champagne problems, but I'm I'm, I am very stressed because we don't actually know when we're closing on our house because things keep getting.
Speaker 1: This is my wife at her finest.
Speaker 3: Well, no here, let me just break it down for you guys. So we were told we were going to close on the fourteenth okay.
Speaker 1: Of May and June okay.
Speaker 3: June okay, But something happened with their pool company, and so I'm not going to say their name, no, but so we again, we took out a loan to get a pool because it's expensive a pool, right, So we took out a loan over line of credit, and we picked out the pool, and we tried to go a little cheaper route because this other route was more expensive. So but we all, I said, my number one thing is I want a splash pad for the kids. I wanted to be six to seven inches of water, something that's great that we can sit in with a chair or even just like a little kiddy splash pad, and then the rest of it can be for the adults.
Speaker 1: Okay, but because when I think a splash but I think shooting, we didn't. We opted not for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just you know, just a regular splash pad. And they're like, oh great, absolutely, like no problem at all, totally totally it's gonna be amazing. So the girl that works the company sent me a picture of the pool when it was getting put into the ground, and I'm looking at it and I was like.
Speaker 1: We just have to do with the doory.
Speaker 2: It's about the pool.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think just wants to vent about her pool.
Speaker 2: We got it fixed, but it's let me just in a second.
Speaker 3: So she sends me a picture of the pool and I was like, that doesn't look like a splash pad. So I'm like, hmm, this is interesting. So they put the shell in the ground and then we go there like a month or so later, and I was like, Michael, where are they filling the water up to?
Speaker 2: And he's like this line. I was like, how deep is that? Two and a half feet? So me sitting in the splash pad would be water up to my forehead. So then I this is perfect? How is that perfect?
Speaker 3: Because my daughter couldn't sit in that, My son will like he will not be able to even be in the pool at all. Now can't even sit because I'll have to hold them above my head. Well I'm sitting like like simba okay. So this is where I go bad. This is where I need to learn to be a better person, because I go straight to I email I sorry, I text message the girl up. Where in your right mind do you think that this is a splash pad two and a half feet?
Speaker 2: This is effing ridiculous. And I sent a picture of me with the.
Speaker 3: The the tape measure how is that to where to where it was measured?
Speaker 2: How is that?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 5: Where?
Speaker 3: Where in your brain? Is that perfect for kids? And Michael's like, what is that going to do?
Speaker 1: Do you want the solution or do you want their their I want.
Speaker 3: Their logic and that's the thing I want the logic of. Honestly, what you thought like just like you know how you say to me, Mike, why would you ask me a question when I'm making a peanut butter and joy sandwich.
Speaker 2: I want a little social awareness.
Speaker 3: Situational awareness, Yeah, it's my favorite term, it's his favorite. But I want to know like in your like seriously right mind. And they've never answered that question, so it really bothers me. So long story short, they had to take the pool thing out and now we have to pay more money because they're like, oh yeah, no, they can't do a splash pad like that, so take out more. So now they they're like, well, we promised this won't delay your closing. We promised this will not delu this will not delay I know, but let me just then, this will not delay stop it right now, this will not delay your your you're closing. Well, I'm about to sit down and I'm reading an email and I got an email from the builder saying we're now delayed because your pool won't be done.
Speaker 2: And I was like, are you Evan serious? I was like, I am furious.
Speaker 1: It's funny about this is this was all in the last few days. Since then, before this episode, we've gotten it taken care of. But I don't think that we have We've had the solution.
Speaker 2: I don't think we have.
Speaker 1: We're back on track. I don't think Janna still has those feelings out.
Speaker 2: I don't think we are.
Speaker 3: Why because it's because we still haven't gotten the email. I mean, we are a week away from potential closing and we still have not gotten an email from our builders saying we can close. And I have a feeling the pool company is going to somehow screw this up, and I just like, screw it.
Speaker 1: But I'm just and again again. What what like getting after them and attacking them? What is that going to solve when it comes to something as complicated as a house finishing and closing.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you why.
Speaker 1: I don't want them to rush.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 1: I don't want them to half ask something. What's the difference between a week?
Speaker 3: Let me tell you what the difference is. Because your wife has literally planned everything.
Speaker 1: I know, because you had the movers come at the first possible time that we could close.
Speaker 2: I had to. There's no other way to be able to share the moving truck with our friend Julie. So that's the thing.
Speaker 3: So the movers from here to Nashville, their delivery window is the thirteenthrough the night.
Speaker 1: There is no give. There's no leeway, there's no like given risk are here?
Speaker 3: Yes, I said the way planned it? No, but that was was there that? Or we were going to pay five thousand dollars more money? So this way we were able to share a moving van with Julie. Would you have done differently, Darling?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: I need you handled it perfectly.
Speaker 2: No, I'm curious would you have handled it differently?
Speaker 1: No, it's just no, it's just for me. I mean, and we have different I think this is where we actually, you know, counterbalance each other well, because there's times where you get a bit of news and you just want to immediately make that call, send that email, say what the you know what the this, that and the other. I'm like, honey, let's just give it a second.
Speaker 2: Let's giving a second, do though.
Speaker 1: Because like even with the pool stuff, they talked to.
Speaker 3: Justin after we sent the mean email, after I sent the scathing email saying how dare you?
Speaker 2: You promised that this was not going to hold our delay?
Speaker 1: And you were like call him, call him, call him, call him. I'm like, I'm going to call him, get up right now and go call him. And when I called him and it went to his voicemail. You know why I went to his voicemail because he was on the phone with our builder trying to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Because I sent a text message to his daughter saying I will not promote this company and I will not like tell my neighbors because of you. You said that this would not delay our closing. So I just said, speak on your word or tell us like call us. I don't want to hear this third hand from like the builder come to us and say, you know what, I messed up on the timing because I have, you know, all these all these pieces, and it's just been so frustrating because I'm like, if not, then we're gonna have to get in our storage unit to store all the stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm just more the one that just all right, let's let's talk to everybody involved, let's figure this out, and then we'll go from there.
Speaker 4: So clearly this is a stressful situation. How is this affecting your relationship? Because I think the best couples, which I count you among those, you do, of course, right, fight more off and bicker more off or not get more off in these stressful situations.
Speaker 1: Have you found that to be the case? No? No, Well, that's good, and I think it's it's because and I give Janner credit for that too, actually now that you bring it up, because she's able to understand how my personality works. So she understands that I'm a little bit more lasi faire, I'm a little bit more political. He came know, And I understand that Janna needs to She can't not say something immediately, she can't, So I understand that she needs to do that. I understand that I'm going to to kind of balance that and be the one that actually talks to these people and finds a solution respectfully and put in and professionally. Well, Janna threatens their firstborn. So we just we we know how each other operate and we just need to work good. Yeah, I don't think we don't. We're kind of pass the days of trying to convince each other that our way is the way to do things.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm saying I need I need definite help with some those areas and not being so on the on the gun and I'm and I'm working on that. I just know though that that text message did have the builder then call or the the guy then called our builder to say, hey, I don't want to be the reason, right.
Speaker 1: And I and I credit you where you know, our builder said we're going to be a month behind, and Jenna.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah.
Speaker 3: There was like we're going to be you can't move until the end of July, and I was like, we're going to be in an RV then because our airbnb is we only have it for a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Jana basically sent a pretty aggressive email that I would have worded a little differently, but it was in that moment it was effective because next thing, you know, he got all of the other third party contractors to work on the same timeline and work together so they're able to make up that month. So you know, that's the situation where it worked where I where I probably wouldn't have gotten just because something like this, I understand there's going to be delays totally, you know, so I'm a little bit more leaning on that. But because Jenna scared the death into.
Speaker 3: This port shut off, no, I just said, please, you know this is there's a lot of moving I.
Speaker 1: Said, please say, that's exactly what you said.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of sv there's a lot of moving parts. So whatever you can do on your end would greatly help. I mean, we're moving with two kids. You know, it's got dogs, we got we got stuff everywhere. So anyways, but end of the day, this is all champagne problems. We're extremely blessed to be moving into a new house. We are we are excited. We have started to begin the the process of grieving the old Nashville and welcoming the new Nashville, which has been you know, we just had a kind of a rough session the other day.
Speaker 2: But it's it's good. It's we're we're excited.
Speaker 1: We're gonna attack it together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really excited because we have two fantastic guests. But I'm gonna take a quick little break and then I'll fill you in.
Speaker 4: We should tell them who it is, and then because the first one's ready to go. Next, what Christina's on?
Speaker 1: Next?
Speaker 3: So we should all right, Oh she's here, Yeah, fabulous, Okay, all right, So we have Christina Kouzmick who's in studio, and I'm super pumped to have her because she's she's really rocking the whole how the truth be authentic and I think that's definitely something that.
Speaker 2: We at wine down.
Speaker 1: She's got a great story.
Speaker 3: To embrace, so we are have her and then Mark, am I allowed to say the other one?
Speaker 2: Okay, but I can kind of tease it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay. And then, honey, what.
Speaker 2: We have a special guest for you?
Speaker 1: Who would be a special guest for me? Like, honestly, who I really care about that much? You are Michael Scott?
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 1: I think that's a fictional character.
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is that the guy from the office? No, but gosh, that would be that had been a good one.
Speaker 1: But no, don't say anymore. Yes and no.
Speaker 3: So we're going to play a game that I want you to play a game? Will I be able to guest from from his voice? We can't tell you that I already said his.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's his. It's gonna be so much.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Let's take a break.
Speaker 1: When we were brushing our teeth the other morning, Yeah, did you notice? You know we've been trying to We always brushed her always teeth that night, and we've been trying to get her to her own in the morning, right, And the other day was the first time we were both brush our teeth and she was in the living room. She saw what we were doing and went and grabbed her new Quip toothbrush. She did because it looks just like mom and Dad's. Yeah, and got She even brought her stool in from her bathroom. I know, I stood in the middle of our sinks.
Speaker 3: No, it was cute because again at night, like we brush our teeth. But I think in the morning it's been something fun for her to be like, all right, like it's time to brush your teeth, like before school. So it's nice that she's like, oh, like mom, mom and dad have a QUIP, I have a QUIP.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you guys don't know what equip is, by the way, they're amazing.
Speaker 2: Is a toothbrush.
Speaker 3: And it's great because it has a built in two minute timer, pulses every thirty seconds to remind you when to switch sides, and helped you to clean your mouth evenly. And what's great too, is a lot of times I forget to throw away my toothbrush, but since I've been using Quip, it's great because the brush heads are actually automatically delivered on a dentist recommended schedule every three months for just five dollars.
Speaker 1: And Quip is one of the first first electric toothbrushes accepted by the American Dental Association. They're backed by over twenty five thousand dental professionals and they have thousands of verified five star reviews like ours.
Speaker 3: Good news too for the MoMA's out there. So the new Quip Kids Brush is the same as the original version, So they just tweaked down for a little you know, sized down mouse, which again it's really important for the kids to develop great habits with brushing their teeth for the grown up routine and it's like, you know, no childish commix on it. But that is why we love Quip and why over one million happy healthy mouse do too. So Quip starts at just twenty five dollars and if you go to get quip dot com slash Jana right now, you can get your first refaill pack for free. That's your first refaill pack for free at get quip g e t qu ip dot com slash Jana.
Speaker 1: Now in studio, we're very excited. We have pretty much missed everything. Christina uz.
Speaker 3: Uh and I just love this, so I have It's an evening with Christina Kuzmik Hope and Humor Tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is the twenty city to where I'm on and I'm so excited and having so much fun.
Speaker 3: So we just did a mini tour for this, and it was like, it's the great Like to have that interaction, Yes, is so incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I hear from you know, moms or just anybody in general that follows me online. But it's so different reading a comment or meeting them face to face and he has their story and I love it. Right now, I've done eight, You've done eight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wow, everything's been going great.
Speaker 5: It's been amazing. I basically wrote this one woman show. It's almost two hours including intermission, and we call it the Hope and Humor Tour because it's a lot of comedy that everybody can relate to. I tell funny stories about, you know, being a mom, and then also I shared the message of like how I went from being almost homeless and depressed to like loving my life now. So my whole goal was I want to leave everybody. Everybody that leaves, I want them to feel not only like less alone. Oh my gosh, I can relate to that. I've been through that, I can laugh at that. Wait, I'm normal, like which we all wonder am normal, but also just feeling stronger and braver, and you know, I feel like a cheerleader for parents. I'm like, I want to make you feel like a badass.
Speaker 3: No, totally, that's kind of what we were talking about. We're like, wow, it was like that was like we were comedians, but then we're also like therapists, a motivators. Like they left with they laughed, but they also left with a takeaway. I left with something they could be like, wow, like I want to change my relationship this way. I don't know, it's just it's such a cool thing, and.
Speaker 5: It's the best combination because I think humor is like medicine, and then we need that little bit of therapy, you know, and support.
Speaker 2: So what I mean, what can is it?
Speaker 3: Is it primarily just for the moms or was it like a mom's night out kind of thing.
Speaker 5: That's what I sort of thought of it because most of my following are parents, But then a lot of men have been showing up single dads, which has been amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 5: And then through the meet and greet, I've met so many people who are like, I've never had kids, I don't even want kids. But your message of how you went from hating yourself to loving yourself like he resonates with me or the things you talk about insecurity wise, because we all have insecurities. So it's been really wonderful to see that the message is resonating with people who have no interest in.
Speaker 3: Being parents, right, and then you can just kind of tap into both of those things in the message.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, I love your necklace.
Speaker 5: Thank you. It is so old.
Speaker 3: I've noticed I love it older than my children. No, it's so I'm going to take a picture of that when you leave because it's so pretty. I love them, but I used to wear one like every day. Like that, I just went super off topic. So when you say basically homeless, what does that mean?
Speaker 5: So after my divorce, I just wanted to sort of tiptoe out of the marriage and not cause any more drama. I felt bad because I was the one initiating the divorce, even though you know, I felt like I needed to leave, and so I asked for no child support. I just left and started working like two three part time jobs. Could only afford to share a bedroom with my little kids, so we had a roommate in another room, and I couldn'tven afford a bed, I slept on the floor. I ended up on food stamps and was laid for rent almost every month, begging my landlord please please please, like don't kick us out. Had every homeless shelter in our area like written down a piece of paper because I was like, I can't. My kids were one and a half and three when I left. So you where was.
Speaker 2: Your husband or ex husband at the time.
Speaker 5: He lived like an hour away, okay, and so, and he would have them most weekends. So on the weekends, I would just work, work, work, work, work, Yeah, And I just sunk into this like depression and just felt like, you know, my kids, says, are so much better, Why did they get such a loser mom who can't even like put food on the table. I had a friend who worked at Starbucks, and he convinced his manager, you know, when the food goes stale, they're not bad, like you're not gonna get sick, but they're just stale. He convinced him to give them to me. So like he would bring me a bag of Starbucks and I'm like, I'm feeding my kids like stale food, you know, I just and so then I started contemplating suicide because I thought maybe maybe my kids would be better off if I was just non I know, I know it's now when I think about it, and it breaks my heart that even went there and then slowly started sort of what I realized is I have to change my perception of meat before my life can change. You know, a lot of times away for life to change in order to change your attitude towards life. When you got to change your attitude for and then life will change. And so I just got really proactive about my life and I got really feisty, and I just slowly I always tell people nothing happens overnight, don't expect to happen overnight. But I just slowly built my life into you know, I'm in a place where I can't even imagine, Like I can't even imagine being in that place again. You know, how did.
Speaker 2: You get yourself out of that?
Speaker 3: Because I think that's the hardest thing for you know, I've been there too, where you just so depressed and it's it's so it's like you just got to do it, like tomorrow's a it. It's like it's that's so much easier said than done. Oh but everything is easier said then, Yeah, brushing your teeth is easier, said the Yeah, I just don't do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm with you. So for me, the turning point, as I call it, was deciding to instead of focusing on everything I don't have and everything i'm not and everything I can't do, I'm going to look for the tiny things, even if they seem insignificant, of what I can do and who I am. And it started with something really simple. The only thing I can think of is I am really confident in cooking. I know how to cook a great meal on a very tiny budget. And so I was like, well, okay, what was it. Who cares well any meal? Like I just love cooking, And you know, my first thought was like, so what, That's not going to change your life. And then my second thought was I'm going to do something crazy. So I sent an email to all my friends in the area and I said, again, I'm broke at this point, and I'm like, Everyondnesday night, I'm going to feed people. So if you know someone who's struggling financially, or maybe an elderly personal lost their spout and they're lonely, I'm going to feed people. And I went to the nine nine cent store and literally spent like four bucks. I'm like just pasta or whatever, and made this big meal. And I get choked up every time I say this, But that first Wednesday, I've fed over thirty people.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And I just that was my turning point because I went, oh, my gosh, I am feeling worthless. I feel like I have nothing to offer. I shouldn't be here. And hear these people the next day are emailing me and saying I needed that night. I need a company. I need it. Do you know what I mean? And then I went, well, what else can I do? So just focusing on that little thing. A lot of times we think my talents aren't significant, my gifts don't matter, but like, take them and do something with them, and all of a sudden you're going to feel so empowered. So that's probably my biggest piece of ice. Stop focusing on what you aren't and what you can't do, and just find that little bit of that you're confident in and do something great with that. It'll give you, you know, it'll show you how much you're worth and how much you matter.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's so that's so hard, so inspiring, but so hard because like you said, but even now, I feel like at times you wait for life to put something in front of you, right, you're like, well, when I get my big break, I'll then i'll know what to do. So the fact that you're able to do that and change your mindset while being in that place is truly inspiring. I hope people really hang on to that. How did no go ahead?
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say, I feel like we waste a lot of our life waiting for this or that to happen. We start fully living our life, no question, and no one's going to show up at your door with like, here's a box of happy.
Speaker 1: Life.
Speaker 5: Doesn't know you exactly, It doesn't know you actly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's because I mean, I'll even get frustrated, you know, with you, because you'll be like, well, I don't know why people want to come and listen to, like to me, And I'm like, because people are learning and they're they're getting great advice from you. So it's like and then so I'm trying to tell them, like, hey, you need to talk to this person to do more speaking engagements, and I'm just like you, like, but I can't force the person to do it.
Speaker 5: No, we have to realize on our own how much we actually have to offer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think until you can realize that, that's when you can actually tap into all those things, because I can only Chris jenerate you so.
Speaker 1: Far right, that's true. No, But I think that comes that is a testament because that's how it is. And I think it's about insecurity and about feeling good enough, especially in something that you're not used to doing. Where my former career of football and athletics, it's you start from a young age. And it's again it's I say this all the time. It's a it's a linear thing. It's it's it's a tangible, it's on paper, what you can do. What you're worth is there's a number right there for it, you know. So so my whole life I'm used to having that behind me of like what I'm worth, and now into a brand new field life without sports, I don't I don't have anything to show. I have nothing behind me. It's like, hey, this is what I'm good at. It's like, well, I played sports my whole life. What do I have a show give?
Speaker 2: But now you have.
Speaker 1: No That's what I'm saying. Now it's just for me to feel more confident. It's to build my resume up on things instead of going straight to the top.
Speaker 2: How do you build it when you don't start it?
Speaker 1: Because of the things that were doing, people moving forward trying to So how did you how did you get connected with with Oprah? And and and you know, hirs was it Oprah search for the Next TV Star and all that.
Speaker 5: So that's an insane story. So I get remarried eventually, and my husband's in grad school and I'm still broke, so we don't even go on a honeymoon. I did not marry for money the second time. And and so like the day after our wedding, he's like, what do you want to do? Like you have so much energy, and you have so much passion, and you've just been in survival mode, like just trying to keep these kids alive. I'm here now. I want to support you. What do you want to do? And so he handed me as car keys and I drove around five hours and I came back and I said, those Wednesday night dinners I did for people saved my life. I literally feel like they saved my life. And I'm even more passionate cooking now. I'm going to make some cooking videos and put them on YouTube, thinking nothing of it, and then somebody sees one of the videos. This is like weeks after I posted my first video, somebody sees it and sends me an email and says, oh my gosh, I love your personality. You should enter the Opra competition. I'm like, I don't have a work in television. I have no idea where you're talking about. So he sent me a link.
Speaker 2: I knew who Oprah was.
Speaker 5: I knew. I mean I grew up in Croatia.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm Croatian.
Speaker 5: No, you're not.
Speaker 3: Barbarica Sokovich was my great grandma. My grandma was born in Zagreb.
Speaker 5: That's where I was born.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh my god. Oh we had lost cousins. Got to talk.
Speaker 5: I'm actually going June fifteenth for three weeks. I take my kids every.
Speaker 2: Summer family did I still have cousins like my lost cousins.
Speaker 5: With me June fifteenth. We'll grow We were.
Speaker 2: Actually moving to a new house like that week. But okay, any other time next year we'll go.
Speaker 5: Okay, but anyway, and so, so yeah, obviously I knew Opros. Anyway, I send in this sole audition tape thinking nothing of it, and within a few days it was Mark Burnett's people were producing the show. They call me, I go in, I meet with him, blah blah blah. Eventually end up on the reality show for Search for the Next to the start. Ten people made it and still just like in AWE can't even believe it's sure every week I'm the one going home and end up winning the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It was wow.
Speaker 5: I mean, but when you think this is this is what I keep telling people, life can surprise you in the worst of ways. I didn't expect to end up divorced and broke and stressed and suicidal, right, but life can surprise you in the best of ways. Because like two years before, I'm hanging out with Oprah and she's handing me a free car and a TV show. I'm sleeping on the floor, do you know what I mean? Like, life is so crazy.
Speaker 3: And to that point too, it's there's so many times when even in our situation, it's like I wouldn't go back and change any of it because now look what we're doing with it, Like you're able to have this message and help people through it like we were. We went through that because we are. I had this now platform to be able to go out there and be there for other people, like it's it's awesome and to you, okay.
Speaker 1: And to your point, Christina, you know, if you'd just stayed in your misery and all that stuff, life wouldn't have surprised you in the way that I did. It was because you're doing those things. It's like karma in a positive way, you know, like you were rewarded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were rewarded for sticking it out to help people, you know, when you were rewarded for sticking that out to now like how it's like it's okay because instead of taking the easy run out.
Speaker 5: I think one of the most dangerous things humans do is they get passive and empathetic about their life, and you just can't. You have to refuse. I'm going to be proactive to stay feisty every single day.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. That's like you're just like my love language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how Janet is. She doesn't know how to not be productive. So I try to level her out, like, hey, it's okay for us to like chill out for a minute. No can't. She can't just ten things at once all the time.
Speaker 3: Well, I just you know, I want to keep growing. Yeah, you have to keep thinking things and creating. And you know, it's like if I didn't create, you know, think like the live stuff.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: It's so we're doing too, Like there's so much you can do from that. Are you writing a book too? Or do you have a book out?
Speaker 1: I wrote it.
Speaker 5: It's coming out the beginning of twenty twenty. I just I was just in New York yesterday meeting with my publisher at Penguin. And it's called hold On, but Don't Hold Still. Oh, and it's which is sort of my thing, like hold on, you got this hang in there, but do not hold still. Be proactive, keep moving forward.
Speaker 1: How was that process for you writing book?
Speaker 5: It was like labor and delivery, except they didn't hand me a baby at dance. I was a kissed like labor and deliver with thout an abidural because this is my again. I grew up in Croatia and moved here in high school, learned the English, learned the English. Yeah, learned English as a teenager. Since I'm writing in a second language, even though I've lived here now longer than in Croatia, it's still like, so I was like feeling a little inadequate and then freaking wrote it and I'm proud of myself. Is your Yeah yep?
Speaker 2: Okay, well you're gonna have to come Visitess in Nashville. I will No, that's all, We're moving. I am coming over to your house and I'm making you Croatian dinner.
Speaker 5: Oh please tell me right now.
Speaker 3: My grandma makes the best dumplings and then she does this strtle too, like so good, and then you can we can call them because her and her boyfriend Vlada, they just speak croations to each other.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 5: My older kids are Luke and Mateia and those are really yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think actually have a cousin named Luca, like one of the like a second or Luca.
Speaker 1: We need to get hurt can be a guest on one of our live shows.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we need to link up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doing it in Croatian.
Speaker 3: All I know is so because I'm also German. So, but because my grandma when they my grandma met my grandpa in the speaking school like to speak English, so he was learning English from Germany and then she was learning.
Speaker 5: Way, have you been to Croatia?
Speaker 3: I've never been, but I've wanted to go with my grandma because it's it's beautiful, and I want to see because she, you know, she she wants to show me where you know, the bombings and her shelters, and you know, she said she used to eat hay and like about her whole story in Croatia. So I'm like, I really want to go there and see it because I heard it hurts beautiful, It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm going.
Speaker 5: To be just posting pictures is to make you jealous, just to make you.
Speaker 1: Fe and join me, she wrote, and then she book us a flight like the next day of it.
Speaker 2: We just became best friends.
Speaker 1: I'll easy there.
Speaker 2: So what is okay? Obviously you know your divorce, that you've been married now for how long?
Speaker 5: Nine years?
Speaker 2: Nine years?
Speaker 3: What is what is one thing you learned from the first now with your second?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you learn from the first marriage that you brought into your second one? I guess a learning tool.
Speaker 5: This might be a weird answer, but to not allow my insecurities to have as much power because they're not qualified for the job. And I think a lot of times we think about what we want more than what we need. And also I think we get so caught up in the romance and the love and like the feelings. And I was so cynical after my first divorce. I mean I literally was like, I wish I was a lesbian. I am never going to lip girl. Yeah, I was like men suck. And I was a waitress when you know, when I was struggling, and these couples would come in for like their tenth thirty ornithan of our and I'd be like, they're just pretending they hate each other like human being. And then when I met my current husband and we you know, I started liking and everything. I had those romantic feelings, but I kept asking myself, would you go into business with this person? Because let's be honest, I think sex is important. I think romance is important, all of it, but so much of marriage, especially raising kids and all that. It is a business. You're literally running a business. And if you wouldn't trust to run a business, or if if you don't you know, have strengths that complement each other, whatever, then don't do it. So I threw out it.
Speaker 2: I know that's a weird, man.
Speaker 5: I think it's very I'm romantic, but let's be honest, like the day to day life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's negotiating, it's compromising, it's setting boundary, it's figuring all that out.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, do you have the strengths that I don't do you? And are you a good listener? And do you respect me? And does my opinion matter? I mean all of it? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh it's funny. Yeah, you just have my husband if he was a good listener. Because the other day I was telling him something. I go, I know, I said, do you agree? And he goes, yeah, totally. He goes, I'm sorry, Wait what did you say? I was like, oh my god, you just agreed. It was just so enamored with how beautiful you are. I just think that's funny. What's one thing like in your marriage? Because I always think it's you know, it's so easy to blame, Like it's easy to blame my spouse for him doing something, but it's so much harder to look at your look at yourself in the mirror and evaluate yourself. So what's one thing that you could do better as a spouse and as a person.
Speaker 5: I need to be way more patient. I tend to be. It's it's interesting. I feel like sometimes our greatest weaknesses are our greatest strengths. In others, it is like, I'm impulsive and it's good because I put myself out there, but I need to be way more patient and I am a much bigger personality, and I think the bigger personality in the relationship sometimes needs to like make sure that the other person is being heard and seen because it's so easy for us not to even realize, like, wait a second, I'm kind of running the whole show here and I didn't even consider like where are you? Are you good?
Speaker 1: You know? See? I think that's interesting because I feel like, from a spectator of that personality, got you. I'm going to speak for both of y'all. You guys are probably like, well, they're not up to speed with me, that's their issue, Yes, that they're not as fast as I am. When really from a more understanding, empathetic place, it may be that it's like maybe thank us, though for me, maybe yeah, maybe I do need to take a step back and you know, be on the same level as them, and I start.
Speaker 5: Making a conscious, conscious decision to like every day ask my husband, hey, how are you doing? What do you need? What can I do to like make your day better because it's so easy for me to get caught up and all my stuff and I'm so hyper and blah blah, and I got kids. Just taking that moment to go, is there anything I can do for you today? Like? Is there anything you need?
Speaker 2: That's a really good takeaway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we actually do that for each other pretty often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to check in more often. I think that's kind of going.
Speaker 5: Okay, Can I can I tell you something that my husband I do every once in a while, that's like the best thing ever. Please, So if he texts me we started doing this before we were even married. If he texts me and says, hey, this is Philip. Obviously I know his number, right, But if he text me and says that, then I know what's happening, and I'll say oh hi, and he'll go So it was great meeting you. Can I take on a date?
Speaker 2: Oh super for us? No great idea?
Speaker 5: No, we are. We we go to a place we've never been and we completely play it up and then at the end when you get all it feels like the first time because you've played it up for like two hours. Sorry, too cheesy.
Speaker 3: No, super sweet would be really triggering. For us because of our Oh oh oh, okay's super sweet.
Speaker 2: But that's not trigger no, no, no, but it's super cute. Would be super cute, Yeah, just not for us.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't work for us. But no, it's a door love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day, maybe one day we can make that work.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think, maybe you think so scratch, let's delete the whole part of the podcast.
Speaker 2: It's good, it's good.
Speaker 6: It's good.
Speaker 1: That's our reality.
Speaker 5: That's the things that we have to find out what works for And that's really important too. Like every couple is different, just like I always tell parents, like, parenting is not a science. Will works for one kid, oh one family won't work for you. You got to It's not a science. It's an art. You gotta do it.
Speaker 2: Paint your way, right, so you know what works for your relationship A million percents.
Speaker 1: Speaking the kids, there's one thing that's on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, wait, can I can I tell her about the story about that one kid that I talked about in a in a previous episode, So because this will lead into your question. Okay, So my daughter was at a playdate and this kid was kind of being obnoxious and I walked in. He goes, no, parent's allowed, and I was like, well, actually I am allowed because i'm her parent, but I'm also her friend. And he goes, you're not a friend. He's like and I said, yes I am. And he goes, no, you're not a parent, can't be a friend. And I said, well, I am Jolie's friend and I'm also her parent, so I want to.
Speaker 2: Be like sitting up for my Now I'm like, you brat, but.
Speaker 3: And Jolie goes, yeah, my mom my friend, and I said that's right, Jolie. It was like the cutest thing ever. But then we read on your notes it said that you don't think go ahead, Mike.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, you said. She says, she's totally cool having your kids be mad at her because she's the parent the friend.
Speaker 5: So here's how I see it. It depends on how you define friendship. Right. So for example, when I'm at at my ex, I will not talk about it with my kids. I will talk about with my girlfriends, but not with my kids. I will not put you up boundaries. Let's say we have financial difficult difculties. I don't think a kid should carry that weight, you know, I mean, so There's also I do not wipe my friend's butts. If it was an emergency, I might take one for the team, but usually I don't. So I do feel like it.
Speaker 2: Do you hold her hair back?
Speaker 5: Though? Yes? Ok, But here's the main part of that. I think a lot of parents it becomes very important that their kid likes them at all times because our friends we usually like each other. Right, It's a different kind of relationship, and especially as your kids get older and become preteens and teens, you have to become okay with my kid doesn't like me one hundred percent of the time, and that's okay. My job isn't to be liked by them. My job is to raise decent, kind, amazing human beings, do you know what I mean? And so I think that's where it gets tricky. Are like, oh, but she's my best friend and I want her to like me, and so, okay, maybe I'll let her have this, and then you end up raising an entitled kid. Doesn't make sense, No, it does.
Speaker 3: I think it's just about having healthy boundaries around yeah, because the.
Speaker 5: Way I say it is like, I'm not my kid's best friend, but I am their ally. I'm the greatest cheerleader. I believe they can talk to me about anything without talking down at me. I believe they can come to me with anything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I just still like personally saying that I am her. I can be her friend, but I can also be her mom and also discipline her and say that's okay. Like sometimes I don't like my friend, yeah, because she's telling me, she's calling me out, yeah, and that's okay. She can still be my friend and I can still be the mom. That's cause kind of how I looked at it too, because it makes sense. Times when I don't like my.
Speaker 5: Friend, that makes sense. I see a lot of people, though moms would just want to really be cool and liked yeah, and then it just you end up with kids you don't even want to hang out with when they're adults, Like I want to raise the kind of kids that actually enjoy hanging out with me.
Speaker 2: Why we can enjoy it exactly.
Speaker 1: I think that's a whole stigma around, that whole kind of when people say one way or the other because of that reason, there's so many parents out there that it's the whole concept now, right when a kid gets in trouble at school. They don't go to their kids and say what'd you do wrong? They go to the teacher and say, what'd you do wrong?
Speaker 5: I have a problem with that. I mean seriously, Like, I think too many parents are bailing their kids out. Here's the thing. We're worried about what makes our kid happy now instead of the long term? Right, And like you have to think long term what life lesson are there learning? Because our job is to raise them so we can let them fly, right, And if we're constantly rescuing them, they are not getting a realistic view of what life is like. So you know, I make my older two kids start doing their laundry at ten, and some of my friends are like, they're only ten.
Speaker 2: I'm like, really, only does our laundry now?
Speaker 1: See this?
Speaker 5: So you know how to press buttons on iPad? They know how to press buttons on a wash.
Speaker 3: But she she puts her clothes in the washer like that is part of her thing.
Speaker 2: Like, all right, Joel, it's time to do laundry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I always think like happy now versus happy long term, Like getting a PAP smear doesn't make me happy in this moment, but in the long term, it's a good idea. So like Kid's like so uncomfortable making this rule right now. I know it won't make you happy, but in the long term, you're gonna endup being a better human being because of it.
Speaker 1: No question. I think it just comes back to what you said at the beginning. It's like, what's your definition of friendship? Right? So for Jane and I, it's someone who's going to call you on your someone who's got your back no matter what. Someone who's gonna love you but also be there to you know, steer you in the right way. So you know, for us, we it all depends on what exactly, and it depends on how you to find it depends on what that means for you personally. So but I always think it's interesting because we have come across people that are very don't go into the definition of friendship or very just like nope, I'm the parent. If they want to talk about this, then go to their friends and that.
Speaker 5: And that that's actually really bad.
Speaker 3: I think I think one of the most important I mean, I got into a fight it was with like Boris Kojo at our show. He was and I we end up just I just kind of stopped talking because he just was so strong in his opinion. And that's that's fine, that's his opinion. But I have a different opinion. That's okay too.
Speaker 5: See the whole creating an and again I'm speaking of someone who has an almost sixteen year old and a fourteen year old. Creating an environment where your kids will come and talk to you about anything and you will never shut them down. So important, because here's a huge Even young kids will come to us with uncomfortable questions and we're like, oh my gosh, where did you hear that? And if we say to them, we can't talk about that, or we'll talk about it when you're older. If you think that's going to stop them from asking to a friend, they're gonna start asking somebody else. Yeah, and you don't want them finding out from an eight year old who has a teenage sister about sex, right right, So my sixteen year old, I mean, he's a boy. He literally tells me stuff that I'm like, I'm sitting there and I act very You always got to act very like, oh sure, yeah, let's talk about that. That's great.
Speaker 1: In your head, you're like, what the Then.
Speaker 5: You hide in the closet with a big cake and a bottle of wine and you stress, eat and go what the hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: In front of them, you're like, oh yeah, sure, let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: I'm scared of those days. I'm scared of those days. But I can't wait to watch Janna squirm. She just hates that uncomfortable confrontation.
Speaker 5: Good teenagers are like, it's the hardest thing ever, But I just keep reminding myself it's so much harder being a teenager than parenting a teenager, and then all of a sudden, you feel so much more grace. And also there's something really cool about watching them turn into adults, Like slowly they're not to you, but just going wow, I understand her passions now. I mean, it's just it makes me emotional. It's really cool.
Speaker 1: Get a glimpse of who they're gonna end up being, little personality traits or whatever.
Speaker 3: Can we drink wine together? But yes, because I just really like you. I love.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like the baby steps that start in Nashville first, and then we'll go there. Okay, so where can our listeners find you?
Speaker 5: So I'm on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter, on YouTube. It's all add Christina with a k k u z m ic and then if you go to Christina acousmic live dot com, all the cities for my tour are listed there. You guys should come. It's a really fun parents.
Speaker 2: Please is there? I'll look online after.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm gonna call over be like Nashville. Oh, please add the city? Yes, Risina Kuzmic. All right, I really like her.
Speaker 1: She was awesome.
Speaker 3: She's just very chill and she has a you can just tell she has a really good heart.
Speaker 1: She has great energy and it's one of those things where just being able to have the guests in studio and being able to read off their energy is really a benefit for us and getting to know them as a person. And her story is truly inspirational to from what she's been through and turn it into a successful brand. Yes, she is is amazing.
Speaker 3: I agree with you on that. Hey, Mark is a special guest. When when when is he calling in?
Speaker 1: How about ten minutes?
Speaker 2: In ten minutes?
Speaker 1: Got about ten minutes to play with here. I wasn't nervous, but now I am. It's like a ticking clock. Who could this possibly be?
Speaker 2: Can I just ask? Can I do a couple of yes or nose before he calls, and he can try and get.
Speaker 1: Ask you yes or no. Yeah, that'd be fun.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, thank you allow allow it? Okay, so you get five, you get five some of them.
Speaker 4: But what if he figures it out for before the person calls. Then it kind of takes away the whole surprise, doesn't Why.
Speaker 1: You guys? I think obviously they haven't played games with Jana yet. This is actually rolled one one or two, not five three?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm crossing off two hands.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, but I don't now I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Just guess.
Speaker 1: Can I veto? Yes?
Speaker 4: You can bet you like if I feel like the answer will give it away too much? You answer no question, Yes, that's one I'm down to too.
Speaker 2: No, yes you are. I'm definitely crossing that off because that was a question. Good you have Mark?
Speaker 1: Is he an athlete? I'll allow it.
Speaker 2: No, you got one more question?
Speaker 1: I don't care. Thanks for coming to oneidde Is he tall? Mark's gonna have to look up this person's actual height.
Speaker 2: That's an I don't know.
Speaker 1: And tall tall is is six two or taller?
Speaker 2: Okay, then we're gonna have Mark answer this one.
Speaker 1: He's not tall?
Speaker 5: Oh deceiving. Oh this is so much fun.
Speaker 1: I love he's a non athlete and he's not tall. Nick Witard, Yeah sounds like Nick. I love you, Nick. All right, Well, how about an email. We'll we wait for the surprise.
Speaker 5: That was fun.
Speaker 2: I love games. Games are like my love language.
Speaker 1: Actually, I have back to back Nicole's how do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 4: Aula is asking. She says, my fiance and I just got engaged. We already lived together, so that won't be a surprise, but I want to make sure we're stepping into this on the right foot. What things do you think are important for us to discuss and keep in mind before marriage? Do you have any tips that could help us start off things?
Speaker 1: Well, hmmm, yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in therapy?
Speaker 3: That's a huge one because I think if the guy doesn't believe in therapy, if you guys run into issues, that's going to be a real hard.
Speaker 2: Thing to get over.
Speaker 3: And that would be really frustrating because if you're because there's a lot of guys I know, they would be like, I don't believe in therapy, and that always makes me kind of scratch my head. Like, I get why it might be uncomfortable. All Marks over there do not believe in therapy.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying that at all.
Speaker 4: I think that the average age that men get married at, whether it's the maybe late twenties, those guys aren't ready for therapy. I mean they are, like they don't know they are, and they won't admit they are. They still think they got the whole world figured out.
Speaker 3: Right, but they should be open though, to having that conversation.
Speaker 1: I don't yeh, I would have been at that age really, yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: What about you, Bob?
Speaker 1: What about me?
Speaker 3: Like, would you have gone to therapy if things didn't go hey wire?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so you would have had that yeah, because I enjoy talking stuff out. I mean I still was felt like I had the world figured out, like Mark said, But I've never been like opposed to it. Even when we first met and got together, I was on board. I'd never been to therapy.
Speaker 3: Before because I threatened you with therapy, you either better you better set here.
Speaker 1: No. But and I think you know, people have the misconception that they only need therapy when there's already problems agreed, But that's not the case.
Speaker 2: Totally agree.
Speaker 1: You can avoid a lot of problems by being proactive and going to therapy and having someone to talk to you, and doesn't even have to be couple therapy. You can avoid conflict in your relationship by going to individual therapy and just learning more about yourself and then sharing that with your partner.
Speaker 3: Sidebar though, I kind of feel like sometimes though therapy has then made their relationship like more arguments, Like there there was this one.
Speaker 1: Theory it depends on your therapy where I'm.
Speaker 3: Just like, are you trying to make us fight right now? You know, like we we left, now we're leaving worse off in her mind, she's.
Speaker 1: Like she's bringing issues at the surface that need to come out at some point.
Speaker 2: But then she's like, I don't know if this is going to work.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, that's the thing. You got to find a good therapist.
Speaker 3: I would if you're fiance is open and is intact with his feelings, I would like to know how he deals with issues. So I think that could really cause an interesting ripple.
Speaker 1: And how does she deal with issues? Well?
Speaker 3: Same like to talk about that, right, yeah, so like and to approach the closes off. It's like, how to help me when I'm in that situation or what would be good Like if she's the kind of person that doesn't want to have confrontation and needs a minute him going after her, I mean like, well talk to me, talk to me, talk to me, Like that's just going to cause an argument, right, So maybe they need a cool like how do they deal with confrontation and how do they deal with which is just a.
Speaker 1: Part of learning each other as you grow in your relationship, but.
Speaker 3: That might be important for us to discuss to keep in mind before marriage. That's a question, right, Yeah, how they deal with kids?
Speaker 2: Parenting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, religion, parenting style and kids all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm baffled by people have been married for years and realize the other person doesn't want kids the same way they do, or more or less or not at all.
Speaker 1: That you do need to discuss that ahead of time.
Speaker 2: Well here's the problem.
Speaker 3: So I can't say her name, but someone has been dating someone for a really long time, and she knew in the beginning that he didn't want kids. But now it's been eight years and she's and he still doesn't. But she's like, I just thought that maybe i'd get him there. But it's like, but you knew, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, woman out there doesn't think they can change a man.
Speaker 2: There, I mean, yes, most of them can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, there's no question. I don't blame you guys for having those thoughts. Yeah, it's true, because but I think it's a similar thing young guys.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't care. I'm just gonna you know, I'm living the party, laughing and having fun. But then as you get older, you know, we have our own version of a biological clock, you do start to think about that stuff.
Speaker 1: So I could see that changing.
Speaker 4: But of course, I mean, I think Michael and I would agree we're both better people because of our wives.
Speaker 1: There's no question I would be a train wreck.
Speaker 2: You know you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: It would have just like if we would have ended up getting divorced, I think you would have just it would have taken you another five to six years to clean up shop.
Speaker 1: Maybe post our relationship, like post divorce. Yeah, here's the fun game, guys. Let's talk about what would happen if Jane and I did get divorced.
Speaker 3: Like I just or or even if like we never met, like I think like you needed you, you might have married someone like maybe one of.
Speaker 1: Your if we never if we never met, it definitely would have been train wreck. Yeah, I don't know. It would have been a long time since I was able to settle down.
Speaker 3: Or I would have Maybe the type of girl you might have ended up picking might not have been.
Speaker 1: The one I should the kind of girl I should be with, or.
Speaker 2: That would like stay to help you through it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe who knows?
Speaker 2: Who knows? I would be in? Where would I be? I'd be in Georgia?
Speaker 1: Who knows?
Speaker 5: Who knows? Well?
Speaker 4: This transitions right well into the next Nicole's email, and I'm sorry you don't have this one, but it's just real quickly.
Speaker 5: I have it.
Speaker 1: No, that's anonymous.
Speaker 2: Oh, anonymous, I don't have it.
Speaker 1: I don't have it. I have it for here.
Speaker 4: Okay, but basically a nutshell married six years, two beautiful girls. How do you deal with wanting another child but your spouse says they're done. My husband says he does, he's Donnie doesn't want anymore. I absolutely want one more child. He will not even entertain the thought. How do you get over that feeling? Or how do you talk him into it?
Speaker 3: I think she needs to have a very deep conversation with him and say, hey, like, I truly want another kid. I feel like I might hold resentment if we don't have another one, okay, And I think because if she doesn't have that conversation, she is going to resent him for the fact that she wanted another one, okay, and he can then say, I will resent you.
Speaker 1: I was a devil's advocate. I'm him in this situation. I want to have a deep conversation with you, Honey. It's really important to me that we don't have another kid because I don't want to be raising any more kids until we're, however old, and I still want us to have our time in our life. And I will resent you, surreal, Well, you and I already done.
Speaker 2: But I don't know though he got a sect.
Speaker 1: Kind of matters very much.
Speaker 3: Matters, doesn't like Jason's sitting up now like I want another baby.
Speaker 1: It's not happening. Is this from you?
Speaker 4: You said maybe the time to say that would have been pre vasectomy.
Speaker 2: Well right now I'm saying this.
Speaker 1: Okay, get it temporary vasectomy. We'll figure it out later.
Speaker 3: She's I don't know, Nicole, that's tough maybe.
Speaker 1: But no, I think it's a good question though, because how how do you determine if both people are that way, both people are like, look, I will resent you or I'll feel a lot of resentment if you forced me your way or I force you my way. I mean, how do you know what's right?
Speaker 3: Well, if it depends how strong you feel about it, because I mean, look at our one friend, for example, she wanted a baby. She was married for ten years. He said, I do not want to have kids. She divorced them.
Speaker 1: Right, that's that's a baby. They have two, right, So you can make arguments for each where for her it's like he can say, honey, we have two beautiful kids. Yeah, why do you what inside of you makes you want to have a third?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: And then she can kind of say the same thing back to then, like we already have two.
Speaker 3: It's so hard though, like for the one like Jason's sitting up, babe, he's not a baby anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jana said a while back, she was like one day, or I said in the car. I was like, yeah, one day, We're not even gonna have a crib in the house. She's like what, she was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Jason?
Speaker 1: And girl, she's like, I don't know if I can handle that. I'm like, well, that's kind of the whole point. It's for kids to grow up.
Speaker 3: But then we can adopt or have another one. We can just like you need a lot of your reseectomy, you know, for.
Speaker 1: Me, And you may call it selfish. We have one of each and a third. When I just think about when they're all in school and they all have extracurricular activities, they have sports, they have recitals and all that, we will never have time for ourselves with three kids. This is my world.
Speaker 3: So here's my fear. And this might be an irrational fear. I'm afraid that when all the kids move out that maybe you won't like me anymore, so there wouldn't be like there's going to be all this that's.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm using you for our kids.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I mean, like, you know, because we're going to be so busy the next how many years their kids and the activities and everything going on, that when it's quiet and there isn't a kid in the house, are you going to like the person next to you?
Speaker 1: For sure? And to speak on that, but.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people have that weird.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's all the emptys emptyness syndrome.
Speaker 3: I mean it's because maybe they don't really like because a lot of people just stay together because their kids, and it's like do I even like my husband?
Speaker 5: That's possible.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's that's what we do all the work the way, thanks Anny, we do all the work that we do kind of also in preparation that where we don't just pass each other, which a lot of people get sucked into, understandably, so we even get we even see where we go a couple of days, right, like holy crap, like we haven't really talked or connected. Let's make that intentional time. So we're doing our work now and mention of that. And then also for me, from a selfish mindset, I'm looking forward to those days because that's kind of another reason I don't want a third. So you and I are still at a decent age to go do stuff together, to go travel, to hang out, to do stuff for us again, like that's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 2: The kids are in school, they still want me, Like I feel like there might I feel like you would want to like trade up like younger or something or I don't know, like I feel like you wouldn't a younger version, suir. No, I guess it's just like a weird Maybe I don't know, Maybe I'm alone in that, maybe other women feel the same thing, but.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm sure male and female people might feel that way. But like and for me, like think about when we went for our anniversary, right, we went to Nobu and then we just sat in the back of my truck at the beach in Malibu, and that didn't go according to plan, but it was just cool. We just hung out. Yeah, we laid there. We got there too early. We had like two hours till sunset. It was like a hurricane wind ten out and it was so we had to lay like bunker it in the back of my truck, like to get out of the wind. But we just laid there and hung out. And how much fun did we have? We laughed, we'd played get like it was fun. And we focus on twenty thirty nine, right, that's true. Focus on today. We have a long even though today even though it goes fast, it goes fast. Anyone with older kids, like you know more can say it goes so fast. Enjoy every member. Right, we still have a long time. We have eighteen years.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm saying. You've eighteen years to like not like me, foor, I.
Speaker 1: Have eighteen years to fall even more in love with you and like you that much more.
Speaker 3: Thanks babe, class half full kind of guy for here. And I'm like, watch the world burn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pessimism.
Speaker 3: I'm are you guys ready for the special guest? Because I'm so excited I don't know if I'm special guest?
Speaker 1: Hello?
Speaker 3: Hello, Hey, So you have Jana and Mike and thank you so much for calling in. So can I just play quick little game with you? Because my husband doesn't know who who you you are right in this moment?
Speaker 2: He will know?
Speaker 3: But can we play the yes or no game? Because he's he's actually obsessed with you, and so the fact that he doesn't know right now isn't Michael? You get You get three guesses okay, yes, yes or no?
Speaker 2: And he has to he has to answer.
Speaker 1: Are you an entertainment yeah? Are you? Do you have brown hair?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Are you handsome? Yes?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: You can ask one more?
Speaker 1: Why you narrow down the entertainment worlds? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Narrow down a little bit?
Speaker 1: Then? Are you an actor?
Speaker 3: No, No, he's literally doing a graph right now on a piewspaper.
Speaker 1: Blonde handsome? Why do you think blonde not brunette?
Speaker 6: That my hair is kind of blackish brown, blackish brown.
Speaker 5: This is so good.
Speaker 2: Keep going with.
Speaker 3: Not an athlete, not an actor? What would be another entertainment?
Speaker 1: What's another entertainment?
Speaker 2: What do I do?
Speaker 1: Sing?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Singer? Are you a singer? Yeah? Okay, singer? And are you.
Speaker 6: Tall?
Speaker 2: We already said, remember you already guess that?
Speaker 1: Do you sing country music?
Speaker 6: Sometimes?
Speaker 1: M sometimes this is killing me?
Speaker 2: Why don't you just sing a little something that he would know?
Speaker 1: Okay, be really embarrassing. Don't know this you will.
Speaker 6: Okay? Expla driving me? Just need one March.
Speaker 1: I just saw you guys.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, thank you so much for coming on our show.
Speaker 1: So sure, what's what's wow?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Janna told me like I'll be starstruck and all that stuff, and I told her, I was like, who, Like, I don't get starstruck. And we just saw you guys in Vegas. I was like, she wouldn't know because that's like the only people.
Speaker 3: So Sean so so so we we stood in the meet and greet line.
Speaker 2: So my husband we.
Speaker 3: He's I said, you know, bucket list person, like who would be your bucket list starstruck, you know, person that you would you would want to meet, And he said, you know, boys to men, And so I knew you guys were doing a residency in in Vegas and so you know, we our producer Amy Sugarman got us the tickets and we got the meet and greets, and he was so nervous, like so nervous to meet you guys. And he was like, you know, tall, he's six foot six, like bald, tall dude, and he's going I was like, honey, just like breathe just breathe, like you're gonna be okay. Like you know, he played in the NFL and so he's you know, he's met like a bunch of people. But he was like so nervous to meet you. And then he didn't even and I was going to say something, but then I didn't want to embarrass him. But like he really wanted to have a conversation with you know, with you and you guys, and so I think, like, I mean, I know you still enjoyed meeting them, but it's still like, you know.
Speaker 1: You probably know the business works, so we know how these meet and greets are, but it's one of those things, right, and a meet and greet is different than since sitting down and having the conversation with these people or or whatever it may be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's very true. And well now you have to combo down, bro, man, So what up?
Speaker 2: Now you got to ask a bunch of questions.
Speaker 1: No pressure. Man. First of all, thank you so much for coming on and taking the time. Man, I really appreciate it. And Honey, thank you as well. My pleasure.
Speaker 6: I hope you enjoyed the show in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I did, man, you guys are still doing it, and that it.
Speaker 3: Was a little sour because I didn't get a rose, But that's fine.
Speaker 1: Jan is too literal to get up there and push every one out of the way to get one of those.
Speaker 6: It really is natural selection these girls fight.
Speaker 1: They were fighting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were out, man, the lines were out.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's gotta be a good feeling that after all these years, you guys still get that kind of reaction and that kind of love, Like, did you ever think it was it was gonna last this long?
Speaker 6: Uh? Well it might sound pretentious, but I so hoped it.
Speaker 5: Did you know.
Speaker 6: We all love new music, and we got into this to do this for a long time. I mean, rather once we got signed and things started to get sering, we wanted to find ways to figure out how long we could make these things last. And it's not a perfect blueprint. There's no guidebook for any of this. You kind of just follow your instincts. You're making mistakes, you stumble, but you hope that your talent and your gifts to sing or perform, and you love to perform and sing out ways at all, somehow you you know, you fight through it, and you you still continue to do it throughout all the METS. And we've been through a lot of mets, and we're so honored still to be here doing things and people still love our music. No, Lie, I'll be on stage sometimes and I'll look over the crowd and I'm staying to myself, what are they doing here?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We're crying and we're singing along to every single word? Like that's I mean the amount of times that I sing your guys of songs and I cooked to you guys in the kitchen and my husband and I are driving, you know, around town, like listening to your songs it's you're so the nostalgi nostalgia nostalgic. I can never say word nostalgia in this is. I mean, it's, you know, we grew up listening to your guys' music, and.
Speaker 6: You know what, And that's the biggest compliment ever, the fact that people still get it. People still get and they understand what it is that we were trying to do. As far as I'm concerned, mission accomplished like we did. We did exactly what we wanted to do, which was make music that people could listen to and use for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 3: And it stands a test of time too. I mean it's it's still like the songs aren't just as freaking good as they were twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: And that's that's a testament to y'all's talent, right, because that's the thing with music or any kind of entertainment. It's people feel like they have to conform to society and what the what the supplying demand is and all that stuff. But you guys have just done you since they won. I mean, y'all are legends, man like legends, and that I mean does that I mean, like you said at the beginning, you hoped it would last this long. But I mean to get to us, you guys are legends.
Speaker 6: It's underlable, it's pretty, it's a it's an honorable thing. Sure, it's an honor too be even called that title, you know what I mean, Like it's I blow that off because it's like that's such a heavy crown to wear. But it's like it's still so nice that people look as look at us in that regard. And all we can do with that is to not you know, be buttholes about it, right, you know, just just take it in, enjoy it and still do I bet without with throughout all the years. If anything, it doesn't make us arrogant. It just makes us feel more determined and responsible to do greater things, and and that that's what we're always trying to.
Speaker 1: Do, no question. And I think you know, just from Senior Show in Vegas, just the humility you guys have with your presence, the way you guys were at meet and greet, the way you guys even are on stage, and the way you interact. It's just a testament to y'all as as people and as human beings. Because there's so many stories out there where somebody meets, you know, the their their bucketless person or someone they've always looked up to, and then they get that negative response from them because they let things get to them. And it's so that's again a testament to you guys as men and human beings. And for me, you I mean the Boys Men Boysmen album was the first album I ever bought.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, the very.
Speaker 1: First one that I ever bought as a kid. And you know, it's funny to say that because I mean, I'm thirty two. I don't you know, I'm a grown man now and being a kid on paper, I am on paper, I'm a grown man at home. It's a little different. So is that is that something that you guys take care like, damn we feel old? Or is it one of those things where it is a compliment that, man, I've been listening to you since I was a kid.
Speaker 6: You know, at this day and age, being old is damn cool. Absolutely, I like being old because it's only one alternative, and you know, I'd rather be called old yet still prove to people that being old does it mean you're your your wash stuff or your you can't do the things that you used to do when you were younger. I like, I like just selling myths like that and things of that nature. Like that's been most of my career with my guys. There's been a lot of well you can't and still is but or not so. But that's the cool thing about being alive. You get to prove people wrong. So I'll be I'll be old, I'll be considered old.
Speaker 2: I love that. So you're doing you have a solo song out now?
Speaker 6: Yes, I have a solo song out, and I also have a solo EP. Again, just trying to stretch the boundaries, not necessarily trying to do the whole typical cliche thing where you do guys it right now? Well, you know, don't I don't get that. I don't understand why a guy who's in the group goes solo and just has to leave the group completely, Like why why.
Speaker 1: Do not do both?
Speaker 6: Like, you know, take some time off to do you and then do the group and go back and.
Speaker 3: Perfectly do it because it works for everybody that way too, you know.
Speaker 6: It works for everybody. Yeah, And this is just more or less a creative effort for me to go out and stretch out as an EP entitled Sean and it's out now download on iTunes. It's five songs. It's just strictly R and B music that you hang with it with, with your loved one with, cruise down the street with, you can cook your food with, you can make a little love with, like you know, it's it's it's basically the things that people would expect from somebody like me. But it's just without the two other guys in the group.
Speaker 1: And how are the guys with that? Are they super supportive of you and and doing that thing.
Speaker 6: They're extremely supportive and they you know, they give their critiques and you know, things of that nature, and which is what I appreciate. And you know, by just keep it moving.
Speaker 3: From that point, what part of the business has have you seen it change that you don't like?
Speaker 6: How long does the show?
Speaker 1: Uh uh?
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's the the generational gap that at once, at one point there was never a gap, like from my generation respected the artists that came before years before, Like we had conversations and talks and actual shows with the Temptations and Stevie Wonder and the Four Tops and you know, Michael Jackson and guys that you know came before us and we would have powers with them and learn and they would tell us stuff and teach us things and and all this other stuff. Just like what I've noticed in this generation is that, yeah, they acknowledged that. We were just talking about this yesterday, me and my guys. But the respect is gone. It's like they don't. They don't they last the ability to show respect, not necessarily you know, be a kiss at, but you know, understand who's in front.
Speaker 2: Of you, who who was before you, who paved the way for you.
Speaker 6: Right, and not only that, understand that their ability still remains. There's still very much impact, right. And you know, I hate to make it a black white thing, but it's it's normally with with you know, black artists, right, I said in AWE, when I see eighty thousand people show up to a Rolling Stone concert and they're each about one hundred and forty five years old there and they still rock out. And you see of course fans that probably are the same age, and then you see their kids. Right, Like the respect and the legacy of the of the respect that the legacy is there, and I just wish the same thing you know for artists like myself and you know other artists too, that the younger generation embraces, uh, the stuff that we did and still continue to do. And we're willing participant in wanting to show them things and wanting to teach them and have them learn because that's what was bestowed upon us. So we just want to carry on this tradition and teach these kids. But they seem like a lot of them just don't want to be taught.
Speaker 1: Out.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, Michael Jordan said something about sports when he said, you know, money destroyed the game, and to some degree, it's the same thing with the music industry. These kids, thanks to streaming and downloads and Instagram and and you get instant gratification if you're you know, have something out there that people can see. People come popular so quickly without any type of proper guidance, so instantly they feel like, oh, well, you can't tell me enough right now, you get right, you know, I'm look at this, Look at all these streams I got, you know, look at this this gold watch eye bought. Look at this car. You know, you know that's specify. Like, what are you going to tell me, old man that I don't already know? And I'm like, well, how to stay around maybe longer than two summers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably wouldn't be able to sell a record back then.
Speaker 6: So yeah, but that's that's the thing I think. I I I tend to It tends to make me because you see, it's almost like watching the kids drive a car off the cliff anyway, You're getting told them like, yo, don't do that, right, And I've seen so many do it, and so many do it constantly. Every you hear artists here today, gone today, and that that's that dad to me, and they don't want to you know, a lot of them don't want to listen. So but that's one of the main things. I think. There's a few of us, but I think that's the one that kind of sticks out, mainly because we were just the guys and I were just disgusting that.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh yeah, that totally makes sense. And now, Sean, outside of music, do you have any other kind of things that you're getting into business wise or for yourself.
Speaker 6: I do have. My wife and I have an indoor playground and woodland hills. Yeah. Yeah, we love kids. And it's funny because when our kids were younger. My sons just turned sixteen May thirtieth, so, you know. But when they were bathy, we would throw parties for them and their friends to come over, and all their parents would just coming. Oh my god, you guys throw the best parties, you know what I mean. And my wife is like, you know, we should make this a business one day and well on and behold. We have an indoor playground in Woodland Hills called Shooty Goots, which is uh, it is a big thing that I gave my twin boys. We just we just kind of named it the company that and oh my gosh, I'm.
Speaker 3: Looking right now online and it looks adorable and we're taking our Is it open on weekends or is it closed on weekends because a lot of these.
Speaker 6: Places normally it's clods on weekends for party, but it is, but it is open on the weekdays. Cut it's fun, it's clean, it's comfortable for the kids and the parents. The parents can sit, they can get their work done, they could make their business calls and not worry about the kids wander off or anything like that. It's it's it's safe, you know. We we we tried to think of everything because my wife and I, between our three children have gone through gone to every playground indoor, outdoor in the Valley of Los Angeles. So we just took the things that we liked and the things that we didn't and we incorporated uh that into our own space.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Well, Sean, I cannot thank you enough for calling in. I know you have a million things to do, because we know how important you are and everything you've paved the way for for you know, and for music, and you know, we just we really truly do you know, idolize you guys and Boys to Men and so we're excited. We're going to download your EP and not you know what, Yeah, we're going to download streaming a lot. We're gonna buy it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you very very much. And yeah, I appreciate the call you guys. You actually woke me up because I have to go to a sound check.
Speaker 2: Well good morning, babe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I have a great day.
Speaker 3: We so appreciate it. And everyone needs to go see Boys to Men at their residency. It continues June seventh, Tickets at ticketmaster dot com. Sean, Thank you so much, Sean.
Speaker 1: Thank you brother. I really appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Man, No, thank you, thank you. Got a good woman.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. I got a great one. Thanks, I can't buy Thank god, thank you.
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Wow? That took me by surprise, Like.
Speaker 2: You didn't when he was like to sing, It's like, did you not know?
Speaker 1: No? I knew, but I'm like if someone singing boy like, I'm like, why is this person not singing their song? Because we just saw them kind of wrote it off.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny because I was like, Babe, it's boys some.
Speaker 1: Nuts, I know, because you already did that for me, right, But you.
Speaker 2: Didn't get to talk to him, so I felt bad.
Speaker 1: I know, Yeah, you totally blew that weekend. I'm just kidding. No, So that's what confused me. I'm like, why why is someone else singing singing boys and men right now?
Speaker 5: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: That's such a nice guy.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Did you ever think you're the boy that bought his first record? Not always men would ever talk to him on the phone in person too?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I forgot to tell him that you bought that twenty dollars freaking binder.
Speaker 1: Over friend photo.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you've never wanted it.
Speaker 1: It was more like, okay, do you want like the twenty dollars just a file, or do you want to buy this for like five hundred dollars, Like, yep, five hundred, let's do it.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, okay, yeah, I didn't give you a chance. Fine, it was so cute, but now that was.
Speaker 1: Cool, Honey. I appreciate that. You just go above and beyond.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank Amy, she got the contact.
Speaker 1: Amy, you're the best.
Speaker 2: Give it up to the sug.
Speaker 1: The sug all right.
Speaker 3: That's we can't make that any but that's we're ending the show right now.
Speaker 1: There's nothing else, so the legend, all right,